[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/scg/ - Scion General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 323
Thread images: 33

Sarcastic limericks edition.

Scion 2e is now on Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/200664283/scion-2nd-edition-tabletop-rpg

Scion is an urban fantasy game about the adventures of the children and chosen of the old gods. You can read a a preview of the book here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7FqViticwNubWNsYjBPQmdIY2M/view

Greco-Roman Pantheon preview: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B01LwCGSbE8kZmtQNHJjd3cyRkE/view?usp=sharing

Topic of the Thread: Given how satire powers the Tuatha motif, how many sessions are you thinking an average fa/tg/uy playing one will make it before their own band turns on them?

And what motifs do you like most?
>>
http://sys.4chan.org/derefer?url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.kickstarter.com%2Fprojects%2F200664283%2Fscion-2nd-edition-tabletop-rpg%2Fposts%2F1690903
>>
>>49534156
>and get them into stores!

Why scion and not WoD/CofD? I like Scion, but it is small compared to the other franchises of OP
>>
>>49534811
Because they do WoD and CofD kickstarters all the time for those products too? Or do you mean wanting print runs of books rather than PoD? In which case I think it is just that most of the core books get those but none of the little side ones?
>>
>>49522505

In response to the post from the last thread about the Skin Game version of Hades, I just finished reading the book (I read roughly the first two thirds before I went to sleep and then finished it when I woke up, I'm a fast reader) and you're right, I like that sort of depiction of Hades a lot, even if there isn't a whole lot of him in the book. That's the sort of thing I'd like to play.

I'll also start reading the rest of the series from the beginning, thanks for the book tip.
>>
>>49534872
I've never read Dresden Files. There's so many books that I feel like I'd try to jump in then burn out very quickly.

Did you download the epub of that book though? Can you upload to a mega if so? I'm curious about their Hades.
>>
Man, this thread is dead. Did everyone tucker temselves out from arguing or is it the wait for people to leave work?
>>
>>49535491
I downloaded a PDF with gi-GANTIC text, which I then proceeded to read while on my phone. It wasn't the most comfortable but it worked. Here's the link if you're interested in at least taking a glance. Should be safe since nothing happened to either my computer or my phone: http://droppdf.com/v/Hr48H

I think it's worth trying to get into, I like the writing style, the first person narration, and a lot of the characters seem fairly sympathetic.
>>
>>49535648
A word of warning, though, Hades in person is only in about one chapter pretty late in the book, and the conversation he's involved in spoils pretty much everything about the book if you skip straight to it.
>>
>>
>>49535501

The initial reaction to the KS and the various previews released has settled. Since there's no game to play and any play testers are locked down by NDAs, there's little else to discuss. Scion 1e is different enough and doesn't seem to be popular enough on its own to keep the thread going.

I mean, the current news is that now there's going to be a Scion LARP. Ya'll really wanna talk about how you'd want to play in a Scion LARP?
>>
>>49534811

OPP owns Scion, as opposed to only licensing WoD and CofD.
>>
>>49536344
>and any play testers are locked down by NDAs

I try to answer what questions I can, but its hard to know where the fuzzy line between sharing enough to get people excited and sharing too much is. Like, I think I could maybe list all the purviews and describe some of the powers in them as long as I don't cold copy the mechanics for you but I can't be sure so I don't want to cross that line.

It is actually really hard when there's arguments in here that I could help resolve, its like being thirsty and having a glass of water on the far side of a glass window.
>>
>>49536599
Are the purviews all the same level of 'cool'?

One of my problems with 1st Ed Hero is that some get way more interesting powers (For example Sky gets fully fledged flight at two dots, while at the same level of Health is "make your dick stop working")
>>
File: Deal_with_it_dog_gif.gif (39KB, 100x100px) Image search: [Google]
Deal_with_it_dog_gif.gif
39KB, 100x100px
>>49536599
You could say it's pretty... tantalizing.
>>
>>49536599
Have you thought about maybe ASKING what you can share?

>>49536724
It's almost as if the story of Tantalus was the origin of the word tantalize.
>>
>>49536740
Yeah, did you think I didn't know that when I said it? Do you think I'd be here if I didn't know that?
>>
>>49536599
Would you be able to at least answer a question I had about the mental stats? The epic physical attributes are now purviews, the epic socials are now purviews like Deception, what's up with the mental attributes? It didn't look like anyone had purviews dedicated to them.
>>
>>49536599

How many 1e Loa gods are in the 2e Yoruba pantheon right now.

I'm trying to guesstimate which gods might be there and which are in the Scion Companion 2e Loa Pantheon.
>>
>>49536740
>Have you thought about maybe ASKING what you can share?
I did and it boiled down to 'don't share mechanics or discuss the minutia of changing things' but Purviews blend mechanics and fluff together. So it is kind of a crapshoot. I'll try and share more usefully in the future without going too far though

>>49536777
None right now. There's Epic Dex, Stamina, and Strength. Several other purviews do allow mental effects, but there's no Epic Reason or something. If you're wanting a loremaster character there's a specific calling you want and then probably get Fortune or Stars or something.
>>
>>49536961
Don't give us the mechanics, but tell us about them.
i.e. Tell us what they do, not how they do itl
>>
>>49536961
With the purviews you already have access to in full (Or as close as full as your copy has), how does it compare to core 1e's pureview list in terms of quantity and quality?
>>
>>49536934
I don't know a ton about the Orisha, and since none of my players decided to make one didn't really have to look them up. The only ones I can see for sure that I can make the mental link with is those twin gods, Kalfa and Legbu.

>>49536996
There's a fair few purviews, I haven't done a 1 to 1 comparison to see numbers. Magic is gone, replaced by Fortune (which is turn is pretty distinct from the Aesir only Wyrd). There's no longer a progression or any 'you must have this to fight' ones. Each purview gives you an innate power, which is often useful but not too OP, and the ability to do freeform miracles with it through your pantheon's motif.

Boons are very divine in style. There's no pissing around with 'oh look I made this one plant live without water'. There's a Fertility boon that you can use to curse or bless acres of land. Another one to do the same for entire bloodlines. Epic Strength lets you perform literally herculean feats of might. Fire can burn an enemy to a crisp or work with metaphorical fire of inspiration. All in all, I like it more. Makes people feel like mystic children of gods without having to look for trap options.
>>
>>49537138
Are Avatar forms for purviews still in?
>>
>>49537173
I don't know what that means since I only read 1e in a cursory manner some years ago. I'm going to assume no but it also might well be a later book thing. Or maybe it exists under a new name? What's it do?
>>
>>49537138

>Kalfa and Legbu.

These are the two gods I like to make Scions for so that makes me happy that they are already in the core book.

Thanks mister.
>>
>>49537193
In 1e, it was in the God book where temporary became the purview kinda. When you used it, everything was just 'describe scene'.
>>
>>49537138
>Fire now has direct offensive capability at Hero level

Great, now it'll actually fit in with what people expect, while still keeping some unique stuff.
>>
>>49536599
Is page count something you can share?
>>
>>49537409
No, because we don't have a book. We have a lot of pure text documents without art or anything and zero fluff outside of a few scraps. I'm basically running with the 1e setting for my group. It'll be two full size RPG books though for Origins and Hero though, I'm sure.
>>
>>49537455
Did they fix sample NPCs so players can't just curb stomp them?
>>
>>49537409
Pretty sure it states somewhere on the KS page that they are aiming to make Hero 240pgs and Origins 120pgs.
>>
>>49537483
Can't say, I don't actually log changes, but people do report back to the higher ups things needing fixing or better clarification.

I didn't look at the preview document they put out besides a cursory glance to see how much of the whole was shown, which ones were included?
>>
File: hecate.jpg (507KB, 1920x1280px) Image search: [Google]
hecate.jpg
507KB, 1920x1280px
I'm glad the Loa are getting back in, but who the fuck cares about the Gauls? Also,

>tfw your favorite god is too minor to ever get a write-up
>>
>>49537578
Bro. Three callings, 4-6 purviews. We can do this. What's Hecate's main things? I only know her from the Midgard campaign setting in PF which isn't really likely a good introduction.
>>
>>49537578
>tfw your favorite gods were both merged with others

I get it but I'm still fucking mad.

Writing up new gods is supposed to be super easy, thankfully.
>>
>>49537578
It's kinda weird considering that she usually gets at least a nod in a lot of fiction as the Queen of Witches and shit
>>
>>49537596
The Underworld, moon, magic, crossroads, multiple personalities like the maiden/mother/crone, but not always.
>>
>>49537483
In line with the new Fate influences, I doubt NPCs have too much mechanics behind them thus time.
>>
>>49537596
Hecate overlaps a lot with the actual Olympians, particularly Hermes; she's mostly involved with crossroads/boundaries, magic, poison and medicine, doggos, death. Her biggest unique thing is that she is the direct patron of basically every Greek witch ever mentioned, and she deals with ghosts, which are otherwise a footnote to Greek myth.

With the Magic purview cut, probably something like Beasts (Dog), Death, Fortune, Journeys, and possibly Moon or Health.
>>
>>49537686
I think I remember something about how fatebinding in 1e triggers off of spending legend. How is it in 2e?
>>
>>49537578

Callings: Sage, Liminal, a third one (Judge?)

Purviews: Beasts, Death, Illusion, Moon
>>
is Hel still in as a goddess?
>>
>>49537646
>" She was variously associated with crossroads, entrance-ways, light, magic, witchcraft, knowledge of herbs and poisonous plants, ghosts, necromancy, and sorcery"

Callings: Liminal, Guardian, Sage (not sure on this one)
Purviews: Moon, Fortune, Death, Helth, Fertility
>>
>>49537701

I would definitely bend myth a little bit and say that she's one of the best sources fir werewolf Scions.
>>
>>49537795

Sage is basically the magic Calling.
>>
>>49537752
I mean the Fate RPG system.
>>
>>49537816
Ah. This shit is going to get confusing in discussions.
>>
>>49537816
>>49537831

FATE is the game engine, Fate is the in-universe construct.
>>
>>49537876
Surprisingly, no. The system is called Fate, not FATE (it's not an acronym of anything). They specified this in one of the books in response to the popular misconception.
>>
File: jormungand.jpg (197KB, 500x755px) Image search: [Google]
jormungand.jpg
197KB, 500x755px
>>
Scion would crossover insanely well with The Day After Ragnarok, come to think of it.

>tfw no Afrika Korps deserter and Scion of Sutek racing across the blasted deserts of North Africa on his Relic motorcycle, fighting serpent-horrors and trying to scavenge supplies for the good folks back in Khartoum
>>
>>49537891
It's still easier to call it FATE because that's how they stylize it on the cover of every book.
>>
So I haven't read much of Scion, but is there any way for you to be a scion of the Norns or Moriae?
>>
>>49538715
You probably could, but fate deities are a complicated subject.
>>
>>49537205
Same here, and since Baron Samedi is practically guaranteed, that's the 3 best Loa more or less confirmed.
>>
>>49538715
The Norns (a triple goddess as one entity can probably fly)
Callings: Judge, Liminal, Sage
Purviews: Fortune, Stars, Order, Death (Wyrd is inherent in any of their Scions since it is the Norse PSP)

And I'd say that much like Artemis they probably only make chosen Scions. Though hey, maybe the two younger ones might have babies the natural way.
>>
File: asterix-and-obelix.jpg (103KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
asterix-and-obelix.jpg
103KB, 1024x768px
>>49537578
>who the fuck cares about the Gauls?

Excuse you, I'd play the fuck out of a Gallic Scion.
>>
give me Angelic Pantheon or give me death

I want to smite motherfuckers as a Scion of Gabriel
>>
>>49539060
Closest we'll probably get is Canaanite, but the pantheon creation details are absolutely going to get funded later today or tomorrow so that should be helpful.
>>
>>49539088
Where are we on funding right now anyway?
>>
>>49539060
>>49539088
Not saying I'm planning to play either of those but I'd like to see both a pantheon of angels and a pantheon of saints.
>>
>>49539096

Just hit the LARP rules, make your own Pantheon (using the 1e Atlanteans as an example) at $165k
>>
>>49537891
It was an acronym in earlier versions.
>>
>>49539272
Yeah, but it isn't any longer. IIRC, for legal reasons.
>>
>>49538317

>someone remembers Day After Ragnarok

Holy shit
>>
>>49540312

It got a really good FATE conversion not too lomg ago.
>>
>>49540337

Ah, that'd explain it. Still waiting on the Storium version myself.
>>
>>49540386

Fun fact: it isn't coming. I've contacted Storium and the author and both of them blame each other, but it's gone.
>>
>162k goal is reached
To be honest the next two after 165k are kinda meh to me, but anyway if I want to translate the setting and characters of Percy Jackson series into Scion, what should I do?
>>
>>49540922
Wait for the actual rules to come out. After that, it shouldn't be hard seeing how that's the sort of thing the game's meant to handle.
>>
>>49540922
>get Scion Origin
>Get Scion Hero
>Inform players you're running in the Percy Jackson universe for when they're designing PC ideas
>Run it out of the box

You don't even need to alter mechanics besides probably banning incarnate Scions, who won't even get official rules besides 'just refluff a normal one!' until God.
>>
>>49540403

Well, fuck. I hope this doesn't mean Storium's going down the tubes. There's a lot of settings that I really wanna play in that weird but neat system.
>>
>>49541213

I've played it and enjoyed it, and it seems popular enough. That's just one setting not working out.

They added a fun kinda Scion-ish one a month ago about romping around the various afterlives out there as everyone from normal dead folks to old gods.
>>
I've been looking at Dionysus and I realized I wanna make a Scion of him focusing on the bringer of strange wisdom facet with the revelry coming in second. At first I was trying to think actor, but I realized today a Scion of Dionysus would be a great gonzo journalist.
>>
>>49541573

If we're talking weird Theoi concepts, then I want to do a Scion of Apollo who focuses on the prophecy stuff he inherited after murdering Python (who provided the oracle at Delphi with her visions)
>>
>>49541591
I kinda want to make a Scion of Pan who works on redeeming his father from being the near devil he's become.
>>
>>49541591
I wasn't even really thinking of going weird with it. I work heavily in the theatre, and theatre really has its roots in worship of Dionysus. I was just kind of looking for something that wasn't just college party kid and I think I found something cool.

I also like yours.

I kind of want to find an interesting pantheon I know nothing about yet. Someone in one of these threads mentioned Persian gods coming in maybe from a stretch goal. That sounds fun. I'm also curious about what they'll do with a Slavic pantheon.
>>
File: Bastard Spider.jpg (53KB, 400x391px) Image search: [Google]
Bastard Spider.jpg
53KB, 400x391px
>>49541573
Pic related for maximum Magical Truthsaying Bastard Dionysus.
>>
>>49539060
MORONAI
O
R
O
N
A
I!

do you even clean living and rice krispie treats?
>>
>>49542315
Do you even graham cracker?
>>
>>49542326
>this Lamanite
>>
Once the custom pantheon rules are out, could we make a Justice League Pantheon?
>>
>>49543070
The real trick is the PSP. As it is I think we can hash out the god writeups for everyone.
>>
>>49543070
>Bruce, the deity of orphans
>>
>>49543090
No, see their heroic identities would be their official god names. It'd be Batman.
>>
>>49543090
Guardian purview for sure.
>>
Okay I actually went to the OPP forums and saw how much the actual fucking writers were sharing on the official Ask Neall thread. I feel much more comfortable answering questions and chiming in to arguments now.
>>
>>49540312
Dude, I bought the book with actual money. I don't know if I'll ever get to play it, but the setting premise is kickass.
>>
>>49543380
Tell me what Purviews there are, and what they do.
>>
>>49543485
Artistry, Beasts, Chaos, Darkness, Death, Deception, Earth, Epic Dexterity, Epic Stamina, Epic Strength, Death, Fertility, Fire, Forge, Fortune, Healer, Journeys, Moon, Passion, Prosperity, Order, Sky, Stars, Sun, War, Water

And of course the PSPs but fuck that. Mostly they do what you'd think they do, but Moon and Stars are definitely a bit weird. Stars has some crazy divinatory scrying stuff and Moon allows illusion magic and literal moon power of generating magic light.

My personal favorites are Fertility, whose boons aren't really super useful in combat but allow you to levy indefinite length blessings/curses on land and family lines which is super cool and frankly great for RP and doing other god shit, and Prosperity which takes an amazingly literal sense of it. One boon lets you literally poof ten grand onto your person, and anyone you give the money to through purchases or whatever gets a benefit to their business deals through it.
>>
>>49543587
>Death in there twice

My bad. I literally copied that from the OPP forum and that's what I get for not typing it up by hand. Death is pretty tight though, it lets you see and summon ghosts and use the existential horror of death to compel behaviors from people.
>>
>>49543587
What do Artistry, Health, and Sun do?
>>
>>49543639
Artistry it lets you use your arts supernaturally well and use them to command attention and influence emotions. Basically being a bard, I guess. Health heals and shit, but you can also invert it and play at being Apollo throwing plague and entropy around like a cudgel. Sun can let you literally blind people with light or symbolically inspire people like the rising of the sun after the darkest of nights. Sun is a great one to go hand in hand with the Leader calling, I feel.
>>
We passed 165k in the KS. Pantheon Creation doc is a go.
>>
>>49543696
How do callings work?
>>
>>49543735
They give access to knacks, skill dots, and play a roll in fatebinding. Knacks are the near (or literally) supernatural powers that your divine essence lets you manifest through the Callings. Fatebinding now triggers all the goddamned time, like if you roll an exceptional sux on using a knack or spend more than one or two points of legend in a scene plus a few other options, and wrap NPCs up in your legend.
>>
What happened to the epic social and mental stats?
>>
>>49543785
Most of them got folded into other purviews, while epic physical traits still have room for insane miracles I guess. Hard to represent miraculously sharp reasoning via a clear divine miracle?
>>
>>49543587
>>49543616
Tell me what they do.
>>
>>49543830
I'm not about to do them all, mostly because that seems time intensive and I'm playing videogames here too.
>>
>>49543814
Looks like I won't be playing 2e unless some homebrew is done, then.
>>
>>49544006
Whys that, you some kinda babbu?
>>
>>49544006
I don't know, I kind of agree with it and don't like that any Epic attributes remain. Roll the miracles of mind and body into associated purviews rather than standing alone. But that's your call, so use your freed up game headspace to run something else you'd like to.
>>
>>49544006
Why? That seems a weird thing to say. "I can't get meaningless bonuses to my Mental and Social stats, so I won't play"?
>>
>>49543587

>Epic Dexterity, Epic Stamina, Epic Strength

Out of anything to keep from 1e, why these and with the same names?
>>
>>49544334
For what its worth, the physical ones aren't just straight bonuses but specific miracles relating to the stat. Epic Stam has a boon that can keep you going even when you should be dead and prevent limb loss. Epic Strength lets you throw shit like you're a giant. The boons within are very physical and very obvious.
>>
>>49543587
Is Sky the purview for thunder gods?
>>
>>49544502
And other things associated with the weather, yes. But when one boon is literally praying a lightning strike into being, it is very obvious what it is supposed to be.
>>
>>49544403
>Epic Strength lets you throw shit like you're a giant.

I always wanted to do that in Scion 1e, just take all the boons that let you lift and throw shit and have a fighting style that's a blend of discus and shotput, just with anything you can put two hands on.
>>
>>49534156
Anyone knows if there's any chance for an Incan pantheon? I know they'll have Aztecs, and Mayans and I heard something about the Guarani. But any chance for the Incans?
>>
>>49545188

I don't think we know enough about them?
>>
>>49541693
I've got a friend who homebrewed some 1e stats for Slavic deities a while back. Had some pretty neat ideas there. Their PSP revolved around the Scion obtaining and raising a pet bear.
>>
Got frustrated with some deities being cut/merged, wrote them up myself:

http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/main-forum/scion/977621-a-handful-of-missing-goddesses-fan-made-2e

Hecate, Sekhmet, and Hathor
>>
>>49545453
That's fantastic. Would you mind telling us more about it?
>>
>>49545524
I don't remember too many details--not much stuck for me since I'm not very familiar with the mythos myself. I could link it but they're entries on his personal blog, and I doubt he'd want attention from 4chan. I'll talk to him and see if I can't get him to maybe compile the info into a google doc or something.
>>
>>49545588

Which gods are in the Netjer?
>>
>>49545951
Eygpt senpai

Anyway is it possible to make the Aztec gods, like, at all attractive to a player? They're all monstrous, they kinda feel like the god version of the Red Talons.
>>
Well, first thing I'm gonna do is write up a proper Roman pantheon rather than the Grecian one. Seriously different style in general.
>>
>>49546415
Agreed. In 1ED we had to hand-jam our own Roman pantheon because two of our party were Scions of Mars Invictus and Jupiter Terminalis, neither of whom are presented well under the Dodekatheon's descriptions of Ares and Zeus. By the end of it, we'd converted the entire Dodekatheon into the Dii Consentes and added a bunch of the minor Roman flamen into the mix, changed up the Virtues, shifted Purviews around,and changed some Birthrights to make them feel more Roman than Grecian. We kept Arete as the PSP because it still made sense and it's just too damn useful to snub. In a similar sense to how the Irish and Welsh pantheons are interrelated but not identical in every respect, neither should Greece and Rome be identical. It does an immense disservice to Rome's religious heritage to presume it's just carbon-copied Greek, though it was nice to see Aeneas get the nod as a Scion of Venus (Aphrodite) in Demigod and God and be bumped up as a God in full. I only wish 1ED had taken that ball and run with it to put out a Dii Consentes book like they did with the Persians to give full recognition of the Roman-Sabine mark on the world's ancient religious tapestry.
>>
>>49538900
Being a Norn seems like a full-time job. I can't see Skuld going out to the club and getting dirty with some mortals.

As for choosing one, I'm not sure why they would do that. They are so bound by Fate that they are merely it's servants; if they chose a Scion, would that scion not immediately get super-entangled in Fate, defeating the purpose of being a Scion.
>>
File: Scion Party.jpg (114KB, 1024x528px) Image search: [Google]
Scion Party.jpg
114KB, 1024x528px
So have they explained why Scion: Origins is required to play Scion: Hero?

It seems like it includes options for stuff that a regular Scion wouldn't use, and fluff that is nice but not necessary. Are they literally not going to put the Storypath core rules into Hero to make us buy Origins?
>>
>>49547417
That is exactly what it is. Origins has the core rules so you can't play with just Hero.
>>
File: Angry Bear.gif (621KB, 440x247px) Image search: [Google]
Angry Bear.gif
621KB, 440x247px
>>49547462
That is super lame and I don't like it.
>>
>>49546415
They spend a bit of the theoi document talking about how some gods have two mantles because of that. Mars and Ares are the same dude but they are embodiments of very different things depending on which suit he puts on that day
>>
>>49547417
It's the eternal problem RPGs face in this kind of situation (i.e. a game with several distinct lines that nevertheless share a lot of their basic rules or even use the same system):

If you put the core rules in every game, than anyone who wants play can pick any of them and play it - but it also means that the books would each have to be larger (and more expensive) or alternatively, have less space to discuss stuff relevant to the game they're actually about due to having to dedicate some of it to the basic rules. This option will particularly frustrate people interested in playing many of the game lines since they would inevitably feel like after the first one, some of their time and money (and information contained) will be "wasted" on each future publication. "I bought a 260 page book, but I've already read 60 of them five times."

The other option is to have one corebook and build upon it, and it does mean that each line book can be both smaller (and cheaper) and contain more specialized information but obviously, it also means you have to buy the core book to use any of them. This may be seen as physically inconvenient by some (i.e. they have to carry two books to sessions) and would especially grate on people who are only interested in one particular line, as they would feel as if they were "forced' to by a book whose "subject" they aren't truly interested in for the sake of the rules it holds hostage.

It's a matter of personal taste and everyone has their own opinions.
>>
>>49547529
(cont.) Scion is a bit of an oddball in this regard because it's NOT a game with several distinctive lines. Scion: Origins isn't the "Storypath System Generic Core Book" or anything like that. If anything, it uses a scheme more similar than anything to the 1974 D&D one, where each book just expands upon the previous ones in a linear fashion - with the 1st edition, at least, there was pretty much no point in trying to read Demigod before Hero or God before Demigod, or the Companion before any of them. They literally reference rules and terms from the ones you ought to have previously read without explaining them.

This does make the decision to put the core rules in a separate book a bit more complex on the surface but the truth of it is that it's the same principle, drawn. In the first edition, all the basic rules were contained in Scion: Hero. You couldn't just pic up Scion: Demigod and start playing, even if that's the only level on which you were interested in playing in the first place.

Scion: Origins is basically like the first half of Scion: Hero separated into its own book. They try to justify its existence further by pulling something similar to what they did with the New World of Darkness (where the core book isn't "just for the rules", it's also the one which lets you play a mortal like anyone's ever bought a World of Darkness book to do except to make a Hunter, which is a different thing. On paper, Origins is the core rules PLUS the book that lets you play low powered non-Scion characters like mortal sorcerers and spirits.

Does it make it worth making a separate book?

YOU DECIDE!
>>
>>49547578
The spoiler struck the nail on its head. I don't think there's anyone who buys SCION in order to play non-Scion characters. It's a nice option to have in theory, but like with mortals in the World of Darkness, it's weird to put in the one single book everyone will be FORCED to buy because it may be the one character everyone wants to play the LEAST. And unlike with the World of Darkness which has different gamelines and you don't want to "discriminate" the fans of one of them by putting just it in the core book (imagine the shitflinging that would've ensued if vampire fans essentially had to pay 20$ less than the fans of any other line in order to enjoy their game), Scion really only ever was about that one type of character. Supposedly they have to have a different book JUST for Hero because of all the Pantheons they shoved in it, but somehow I'm still left skeptical. The Pantheons only ate up a tiny fraction of Scion: Hero, and that book ALSO had the core rules. Even if the 2nd ed had 33% more it sounds weird they'll eat a whole book by themselves.
>>
File: scion_10.jpg (159KB, 648x354px) Image search: [Google]
scion_10.jpg
159KB, 648x354px
>>49547529
I don't have a problem with that reasoning, except in one regard.

Scion: Hero IS the core book. You don't buy a game about being scions of the gods to play, "Someone who is on the path to being a scion, but is not one yet," or "a werewolf that lives in the same world as scions." You buy it to play as Scions.

The unique content of Scion: Origins would make it a splat in any other line: "Here's some weird races and 0th-level character rules!" I can't think of another game where they put all the mechanics for creating and advancing a character, along with all the relevant fluff, in one book, but leave the basic rules (which should take ~30-50 pages at most) out. Even D&D, which has the shitty sacred cow of Player's Handbook/DMG/Monster Manual, can be run straight from the PHB alone.

>>49547578
Then you posted this before I hit post. Putting the core rules for a game in an otherwise useless splat (especially when both it and the actual Scion: Hero core book are going to be hardcover and thus a pain to lug around physically) is a dick move. It's jumping the price of the product up another $25 for no good Goddamn reason.

True, you needed Scion: Hero in 1e if you were going to play God or Demigod. But (in addition to the assumption that you would only get to those books after playing Hero, so you'd already own it) Scion: Hero was a standalone product. When I went into my FLGS and pulled it out of the bargain bin because it looked neat, I was able to have a great campaign with that book alone. I didn't get home, open it up, and read, "You needed a different book if you actually wanted to play the game, go fuck yourself."
>>
>>49547653
You were too late anon, >>49547639
>>
>>49547578
You know, I actually wouldn't mind them selling a "Storypath System Core" book, maybe with a few token settings in it (you know how those generic systems always do, there'll be one extremely generic fantasy setting with some extra rules about playing nonhuman characters, one generic science fiction one with extra rules for spaceship combat, maybe a superhero game) and leave Scion and the Aeon Continuum books as pure setting books with nothing but relevant information.

It'll also create an aesthetically neat scheme where each setting has exactly three books composing it (Hero, Demigod God, and Adventure, Aberrant, Trinity).
>>
>>49547417
>>49547493
It works exactly how nWoD worked:
Corebook+Gameline book

>>49547578
Plenty of people have played normal mortals...
>>
File: Not How It Works.jpg (20KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
Not How It Works.jpg
20KB, 500x500px
>>49548375
>It works exactly how nWoD worked:
>Corebook+Gameline book

Except Scion isn't nWoD. Scion: Origins isn't the book that will lead to 5 different games in the World of Scion. Even Aeon Continuum is going to need to republish the rules, because Origins is specifically a book about Scion, with Scion in the name, Scion in the rules, and Scion in the fluff.

Also, being like nWoD isn't a good thing.
>>
>>49548569
>Also, being like nWoD isn't a good thing.
Says you.

Yes, they probably could have published the core rules in Hero, then put everything else in the Companion. It's not that big a deal that they didn't, though.

>Even Aeon Continuum is going to need to republish the rules, because Origins is specifically a book about Scion, with Scion in the name, Scion in the rules, and Scion in the fluff.
Aeon isn't Scion, so that means nothing. They're using the same core system, but that doesn't mean they're the same game. Same as Spirit of the Century and Dresden Files both using Fate, but being different games.

I really do want a generic build-your-own Storypath book, though.
>>
>>49548838
>I really do want a generic build-your-own Storypath book, though.
We'll probably get one

Eventually
>>
>>49548838
>Aeon isn't Scion, so that means nothing.

You missed the point. Scion not having the core rules in the core Scion book isn't like nWoD not having the core nWoD rules in each spinoff book. Aeon is the only other thing planned using Storypath, and even it can't use Scion: Origins. There's literally no comparison between nWoD and Scion in the planned line, other than Scion taking the worst possible idea from nWoD for a game that is going to be a single line of books.

>not that big a deal that they didn't
Other than making it harder to get and use the game.

If you use physical copies, you need to buy two books minimum and carry them to every game, and if at any point in the future someone wants to play Scion they need to track down both books.

If you use digital copies, it's less of a hassle to carry, but it still means everyone needs both PDFs, along with the errata (4 documents minimum, a pain to switch between and cross-reference unless everyone is using a full laptop).

It's either very poor design, a shameless moneygrab, or both.
>>
>>49548887
I don't know if that's something they're interested in. I mean, I've wanted a generic build-your-own Storyteller book since 2004 and they still haven't done anything like that.
>>
>>49548936
Almost every game requires multiple books. If I understand how Scion works, it would also require four books by the time you get to God. Why would there be four documents of errata?
>>
>>49548936
Would you rather Scion Hero be twice as big, or have half as much information in it?

There isn't really a better solution. They put all the core rules in Origins because they presumably plan to make non-Scion characters worth playing this time around, and it's easier to have all the stuff that isn't 100% specific to playing Scions in the Scion setting in its own book, rather than reprinting the same block of info at the cost of other information.

>Scion not having the core rules in the core Scion book
Except it does
Origins is the new core book for Scion. It's the only book you need to play in the setting at all. You don't need Hero if you're going to be playing someone who isn't a Scion.
>>
>>49548965
>Why would there be four documents of errata?

No, 4 documents total: Origins, Hero, and errata for each.

And many games are designed to allow multiple books, not require them. You can play the majority of games with just the player guide; The DMG equivalent offers expanded rules, variants and other things, but the player guide has all of the core rules that you need to understand and run the system. There may be some things that are not fully explained in the player guide (usually things related to the canon Secret Evil Thing), but the basic rules of the game are explained in one book and you can run from that.

Scion 2e has a book for every level of play, just like 1e, with the implicit understanding that you go through each one in sequence as your Scion character grows and the campaign continues. However, you can't play Scion: Hero with Scion: Hero. You need Hero and this other book, a book which is explicitly not about playing scions but about playing people-who-are-not-yet-scions and things-which-are-not-scions but still has all the rules for Scion.

It's the equivalent of cutting out a couple chapters from any other RPG -the ones that actually explain how to play the game- and stuffing them into an alternate races splat.
>>
>>49549092
Why do you even assume there will be errata for each in a separate document?

You really just seem upset that Scion: Origins isn't for playing Scions. Other people however are excited that non-Scions are going to be viable characters.
>>
File: Contempt For Pleb.png (67KB, 157x210px) Image search: [Google]
Contempt For Pleb.png
67KB, 157x210px
>>49549084
>Would you rather Scion Hero be twice as big, or have half as much information in it?

>There isn't really a better solution.

Yes there is. Literally every other RPG design company uses the better solution, which is "Put the rules for your game in the fucking book." It wouldn't double the size of the book, not even close. It would be maybe 50 pages more, instead of telling people that they can get those 50 pages if they also take 70 pages of crap.

>Origins is the new core book for Scion. It's the only book you need to play in the setting at all. You don't need Hero if you're going to be playing someone who isn't a Scion.

Yeah, that's why people play Scion. They do it to play characters who aren't scions. Man, I wish other companies did that. It's like, I want to play Dungeons and Dragons, but I don't want either dungeons or dragons; I want a game about being someone who lives near those things, occasionally sees people going on adventures, but never is an adventurer himself.

They've already planned the Companion to fit in additional info. "PC races which are not scions" is exactly the kind of thing that would turn up in a regular companion to expand the universe. It's stuff which is not about the game's core conceit (being scions) but might interest some players; no reprinting of basic rules, only publishing new additional info, something every other RPG company worked out decades ago. Whether or not it's 'worth it' mechanically to play non-Scions is an entirely different discussion than whether or not the game is about scions.
>>
>>49549180
>Why do you even assume there will be errata for each in a separate document?

Because that's how errata works. Unless they plan on combining errata for both in one document (which is strange from the production standpoint of requiring their writers to fix the mistakes in both books simultaneously, rather than working on one than the other to get errata out faster).

>You really just seem upset that Scion: Origins isn't for playing Scions
No, I'm upset that Scion: Hero doesn't let me play Scion. I don't give a shit one way or another if there's other things going on in splats, I want to be able to play Scion with the Scion core book, not need to buy and lug around another 120 pages so I can get both halves of the rules.
>>
>>49549247
First off, I've never really needed errata to run a game. Second, how they do errata is they incorporate it into the final print version. In fact, that's why Mage 2e was released a month ago but didn't get its PoD until today.

Also, would you be complaining that Scion: God doesn't let you play a Scion?
It's most reasonable to put the core rules in the book that's about playing the core game.

>>49549191
They are putting the rules for the game in the fucking book. You just don't like that it's a different book. You can complain and bitch about this, but most other people seem to either be ambivalent or see it as the better option.

> It's like, I want to play Dungeons and Dragons, but I don't want either dungeons or dragons
You mean like how it's already an old joke that most D&D games have neither of the things in the title? Most of your arguments fall flat, and seem to amount to you complaining that you need two books. And I get that, yeah, I don't like having two books either, but acting like it's some crime is just childish. Nevermind that Scion: Origins is still about playing Scions.
>>
>>49549191
are you that touhou fag guy?
>>
>>49549357
Touhoufag would be complaining about the mechanics and talking about how no one can ever make proper mechanics.
>>
>>49549383
why doesn't he make his own game?

and maybe kill himself?
>>
>>49549357
No. Touhoufag has been gone for years, or at least underground.

>>49549341
>how they do errata is they incorporate it into the final print version.
Not exactly. They incorporate it into the final print run, but they also release it online for free. You know, because they understand that their fuckups should be corrected asap, not making people buy the books again for a fix.
http://theonyxpath.com/awakening-2e-errata-mage-the-awakening/

>Also, would you be complaining that Scion: God doesn't let you play a Scion?
>It's most reasonable to put the core rules in the book that's about playing the core game.

No. Please follow my reasoning on this.

Scion is a game about playing scions, the children of gods. As your scion progresses in his career, he will pass through the Hero phase, into Demigod, and end as a God. Scion 1e released a book for each stage of a scion's career; the basic rules are in the Hero book, and each additional book added new rules for dealing with new situations. Scion 2e still plans on releasing a book for every stage of that career. However, they have also done something different: They put in a book called Origins, which is about the life of your character before he's a true scion, and about playing other things which are not scions. Good for people who want to play things that are not scions. However, people who DO want to play scions are still forced to acquire and use Origins, even if they don't want to play the Origins part of their Scion's career (which is called out as an optional part of the game by the developers), because the rules for playing Scion are in Origins.
>>
File: Change Is Great.jpg (35KB, 696x423px) Image search: [Google]
Change Is Great.jpg
35KB, 696x423px
>>49549646
I know you're going to want to greentext the next sentence in isolation, but try and read the whole paragraph. Origins is NOT the core book EXCEPT for the fact that it has the core rules. It is not a game about playing scions, it is not a book that provides the necessary story you need to play as scions. Everything in the book -the character options, the fluff- is extra material, EXCEPT for the fact that it has the core rules you need to actually play Scion. If you want to play Scion as not-scions, you can do it with one book. If you want to play Scion as scions, you need both the book about scions and the book about not-scions. Does that not strike you as backwards?

People joke about how D&D can be played without actually going into dungeons and fighting dragons, but the core idea is that you are adventurers who could go into dungeons and fight dragons, it's just that this specific campaign, at this table, does not involve those. Origins is literally about not playing scions, just things in the Scion world, and does not allow you to play true scions -you're pre-Visitation scions at best, with none of the things that separate Scion from any other urban fantasy setting. Similarly, if you want to play true scions, you need to buy the book that is about not playing scions.

You're right in that it boils down to me complaining that I need two books to play Scion. That is entirely the point I'm making; needing two books when it should require one, because of poor design, is not a good thing. Calling someone childish because they think something is a bad idea is itself childish self-superiority.
>>
>>49549646
You're acting like you want the core rules in every.single. book in the Scion line

that wastes page real estate.
>>
File: Fuck No.png (46KB, 232x301px) Image search: [Google]
Fuck No.png
46KB, 232x301px
>>49549690
No. You aren't reading the whole thing.

I want to be able to play Scion. I understand that if I continue to higher levels of play, or loop in optional things, I will require additional books. At the base level, however, I want to keep the number of books to a minimum. At the base level, Scion is about playing as Hero-level scions. The base level is not "things which are not scions, either because they're actually not scions or because they have not truly become scions because they haven't received their Visitation".

Accordingly, putting the core rules, in the book which is not the base level book, does not strike me as a good idea.
>>
>>49549743
okay babu

keep complaining, literally nothing will change
>>
>>49549661
>>49549743
I get what you're saying and it doesn't bother me at all.
>>
>>49535491
I often jump in and get burned out but I read all the DF books successfully. They're pretty snappy reads.
>>
>>49549837
they're trash, worse than airport reading garbage for nerdy fags.
>>
>>49537138
>Legbu
>not Eleggua
This is the kind of bullshit where you act like the modern African religion is the most fundamental form of the religion just because it's in the place of geographic origin.
>>
File: Disagree.jpg (32KB, 500x328px) Image search: [Google]
Disagree.jpg
32KB, 500x328px
>>49549824
>>
>>49549743
No offense but you kinda sound like a faggot.
>>
>>49537138
>and the ability to do freeform miracles with it through your pantheon's motif.
How freeform? Are we talking like Magical Burst's sorcery here?
>>
File: succfag.jpg (25KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
succfag.jpg
25KB, 500x500px
>>49549863
how many layers of being a contrarian fag are you on
>>
>>49536599
You can still resolve arguments if you're not too specific.
>>
>>49537138
>Magic is gone, replaced by Fortune
Those are pretty different things, conceptually. At the same time, magic in most cultures is very different, so it's probably better handled by the pantheon purviews anyway.
>>
>>49539132
>LARP rules
Is there really any point to this, or did they just put it in because it sounds big and is really easy to design?
>>
>>49550011
White woof did it so they have to do it too
>>
>>49543696
I want the Sun purview then, for the symbolic reasons.

>>49543814
Honestly it's really inelegant, they way they've done it now. It would be better to go back to the mythology and reconceptualize somehow.

>>49544334
Pretty sure purviews are more equivalent to the old knacks than just the numeric bonus.
>>
>>49545188
Weren't they kind of monotheistic?
>>
>>49549661
Maybe you should have tied to make that second sentence less retarded then.
>>
>>49549646
>No. Touhoufag has been gone for years, or at least underground.
No he hasn't.

Also, they released the errata seperately for Mage because it's the most extensive. The PDFs automatically update. Anyone who bought Mage 2e can now go to their DrivethruRPG page and download the most up to date version. Having a second document for errata is completely unnecessary.

>However, people who DO want to play scions are still forced to acquire and use Origins
And people who don't want to play Hero would still have to buy Hero under your reasoning.

>>49549661
Are you also >>49549646 or someone who clicked the wrong thing?
It requires two books because they decided that was what was best for themselves and everyone else. You call it a POOR DESIGN. No one else seems to mind, though. That means it's entirely on you. You are the one who minds and is raising a fuss.
Let me make this clear: You disagreeing with something doesn't make it a poor decision.

>>49549743
The thing is that you want what you're already getting, you just want one stage cut out. Which, again, maybe I want to play Demigod only. I'd still need to buy Hero the way you're telling it. Or they could give one detailed book on the base level stuff with a few non-Scion templates thrown in and I can buy that and Demigod and skip Hero.

Or, to put it a different way, and in all caps:
THIS IS THE BASE LEVEL BOOK. IT IS THE BOOK FOR BASE LEVEL THINGS.
>>
>>49550238
I very much mind paying $85 for the core.
>>
>>49548375

CofD switched to having all the rules in the splat corebooks for a reason. It was the only way in which the WoD corebooks were superior.
>>
>>49550028
>>49550011
I for one am wicked excited for Scion LARP.
>>
File: Guard.gif (82KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
Guard.gif
82KB, 600x450px
>>49550238
>The thing is that you want what you're already getting, you just want one stage cut out. Which, again, maybe I want to play Demigod only. I'd still need to buy Hero the way you're telling it. Or they could give one detailed book on the base level stuff with a few non-Scion templates thrown in and I can buy that and Demigod and skip Hero.

No you couldn't. Because you still need all the rules from Hero to make your Demigod Scion and incorporate the base level knacks, basic level of purview, etc. That's the point that is being made. If you want to play Scion at the Hero/Demigod/God level, you buy Hero, then Demigod, then God, with each book adding levels of complexity and powers for character generation.

However, you can't actually play the game, because the rules for doing so are not in any of those books. They are in the book labelled 'Scion: The Book That's Not About Scions'. Scion: Hero is the base book because the game is about scions, not about things which are not scions (sounding like a broken record, but somehow you don't understand this simple point). Scion: Origins is not the base book even if they wanted it to be so, because you can't play Demigod with just Demigod and Origins.

By splitting the rules for designing a scion character and playing a scion character into two books, they have made there be no effective base book. The point of the game, and the majority of the rules for making characters for playing the game, are in Hero. Origins, which explicitly is about playing an optional part of your scion's life, has the rules for playing the rest of the game for no good reason. It is poor design, several people have said it's poor design but they don't really mind it.
>>
>>49550450
How exactly is that gonna work, do you think?
>>
>>49550466
That doesn't make any sense.
You start by making a Human, then you make a Hero level Scion, then you make a Demigod level Scion, and so forth.

Therefore, by your logic, the Origins book is actually the most important book, because otherwise you couldn't make any characters at all.
>>
>>49550436
Beast and Demon actually don't have the rules in their books, just the GMC update. The others do because the original intention was for them to be special editions.
I actually do like the way the 2e games have things, though. You don't *need* the corebook, but it's certainly a good idea to have it. Though it's still inelegant to have each book have the same section all over again. Especially when they're so tight on wordcount as is.

>>49550466
Yes, Scion: Origins is the base book.
It is the book that serves as the base of the game.
No matter how many times you say otherwise, that is still true. It's not me who doesn't understand, it's you. You are even still playing as Scions in Origins. Being pre-Visitation doesn't mean you're not a Scion. You are still a magically endowed and heroic--with a little h--mortal.

I get that you think the game should start at Hero. The thing that you are not understanding is that not everyone agrees with you.
>>
Hey, maybe have a little prequel session with each player before their visitation? That'd be neat, right?
>>
>>49550645
WoD does that and calls it Preludes.
>>
>>49550492
No stats or anything, you just aut-succeed on anything your purviews say you can do unless someone opposes you. If someone does oppose you, just play reau sham beaux and whoever wins that wins the conflict.
>>
>>49550540

>Beast and Demon actually don't have the rules in their books, just the GMC update. The others do because the original intention was for them to be special editions.

Beast has the whole ruleset in it. I'm aware that Demon only had GMC, because of when it was released. The point still stands, CofD 2e books have the whole ruleset in them which means that you only ever need the splat core to play. It may be "inelegant" or whatever, but keeping everything in one core will always be the superior option. That's aso true for Scion, but OPP has already made its decision.
>>
>>49549999
>At the same time, magic in most cultures is very different, so it's probably better handled by the pantheon purviews anyway.
Yeah, which is probably just what's going down anyway.

>>49549893
By invoking your motif you can get one of a large series of effects from a purview as long as it is in theme. They're not really powerful, but they offer a range of little blessings or emergency armament options as need be. So they're useful in a pinch even if nobody has a boon specifically to help what you need done, and nobody says no to an Enhancement bonus.
>>
>>49552668
So it's not freeform? I'm not in the playtest so I don't know what some of those things mean.
>>
>>49552689
Not really freeform, but sort of? Its like a 'here's what you can do just by having a purview and a motif!' which I know is weird without an example. They're basically divine cantrips, in that everyone can do them and they're not mind bogglingly powerful some are still damned useful.
>>
>>49552765
So it's like Geist, sort of?
>>
>>49552806
Never read geist. So far my players have kind of forgotten they even exist as an option so I can't report on them in play, but an example would be like...say you're a Theoi (We'll say a son of Zeus or something. He gets around a bunch) and have the Sun purview through a relic you own. You can send a prayer to Apollo (the Theoi motif of invoking the gods for their direct blessings) asking him to blind your foes as they chase you across the rooftops of Cairo.

One of the options is giving a complication to people, so the player selects that and in setting Apollo hears his kindred's prayer and cranks the light up on the people chasing you in the form of a Complication. Nothing so great as actually striking them blind with a Boon, but helpful nonetheless.
>>
>>49551643
>keeping everything in one core will always be the superior option.
Which is what they're doing.
You just don't like the corebook.

>>49552806
How is that anything like Geist?
>>
>>49552903
So then, in theory at least, you can still do pretty much anything that seems to make sense contextually? Is there a "anything the GM approves" option then, or is it not supposed to be that kind of system? Because it's sounding pretty cool.
>>
>>49552910
You have two things that combine to give you an automatic power for having both of them. That's exactly how Geist works.
>>
>>49552935
There's a list of options which should cover most benefits/penalties you want to dick around with via fluffing them right, but if you think of something they don't cover the GM can pretty easily approve anything as long as they don't think it is out of place power or fluff wise
>>
>>49550238
>THIS IS THE BASE LEVEL BOOK. IT IS THE BOOK FOR BASE LEVEL THINGS.
So you're saying it is the book for basic bitches
>>
File: 1458884271345.jpg (72KB, 400x533px) Image search: [Google]
1458884271345.jpg
72KB, 400x533px
What I'm getting from this clusterfuck is that if the game had been named Origins instead of Scion, there would be no problem at all.

Fuck's sake.
>>
>>49552910

>You just don't like the corebook.

Not the person you were talking before I posted that, Aspel. I think the current setup is going to be fine for me, because I am the sort of person who will run games in The World without necessarily having parties be Scion only (especially since Storypath is supposed to be good at that), but I'll always consider one single core per splat the best way to do a game. If Hero, Demigod and God are treated in the same kind of style as they were in 1e, they should each have the rules inside them, like a CofD 2e splat core. Standalone cores are always the best cores.
>>
>>49552952
Geist's isn't freeform, which is sort of the point here.
>>
>>49546415
Good, I want to be a Scion of Divi Augusti
>>
File: herakles and buddha.jpg (90KB, 552x600px) Image search: [Google]
herakles and buddha.jpg
90KB, 552x600px
>>
>>49555304

LOOK OUT BUDDHA HE'S RIGHT BEHIND YOU
>>
File: buddha-lessons.jpg (91KB, 497x260px) Image search: [Google]
buddha-lessons.jpg
91KB, 497x260px
>>49555315
This is good, because I, too, am in front of him.
>>
>>49555348

SHIT NIGGA THAT'S DEEP
>>
>>49555348
But what does it mean?!
>>
>>49555661
>>
>>49555348
My unguarded thoughts can make me sad and scared and depressed and anxious and insecure and angry and afraid... But they can't ever stab me, which I'm pretty sure my worst enemy can.
>>
>>49556525
No, he's saying to watch out for telepaths.
>>
>>49556583
>>49556525
An open mind is like a fortress with its gates unbarred and unguarded.
>>
>>49556525
But they can make you stab yourself.
>>
>>49556612
Grim
>>
>>49555348
Sounds like he has some dots invested in mental powers.
>>
>>49534156
We got our fiction, everyone. Next up some premade characters. Let's hope they aren't too shit or, in the case of some anons on here, too agenda pushing.
>>
>>49557641
I hope none of them are white or male.
>>
>>49557691
I hope none are lesbians or paraplegics
>>
>>49557766
>>49557691
Ten characters. My gut says we'll get one straight white dude, one gay one, then a random mishmash of women and PoC of varying sexuality. Definitely one trans character. If I had to guess ethnicity to make a pantheon link, it'd be Teotl or Netjer.
>>
>>49557847
You do realize it's literally going to be the people on the cover, right?
We've already seen two of them and people bitched.
>>
>>49557867
That's fine too, because Eric and Aaron come back then.
>>
>>49557766
>No paraplegics

I guess Hephaestus as a patron is out, then.
>>
File: Dude 4.gif (676KB, 320x160px) Image search: [Google]
Dude 4.gif
676KB, 320x160px
>>49549690
>You're acting like you want the core rules in every.single. book in the Scion line
>that wastes page real estate.
les.

No, what he's saying is that the core rules should be in Scion: Hero, and not in Scion: Origins. Scion: Hero is the logical choice to put the core rules of a game about playing Scions.

Putting the rules in Origins, a book that by all counts is a tertiary splat book, is nothing but a play to make every single player buy a tertiary splat-book. That is what we would call a "dick move" on the part of the publisher.

This is one of the reasons I plan to pirate, and at no point give them any money, because you don't reward dick-moves.

Think of it this way, if they released a new edition of D&D, and then instead of putting the core rules in a book with the normal classes and races, they put the core rules in.... idk... The Complete Psionic Handbook. People would flip their SHIT, because this would be a dick move. That's not to say that Complete Psionic's Handbook shouldn't exist, and saying that the core rules should obviously be in the Player's Handbook isn't the same thing as saying that they should be in book.

There are only two explanations.

Either A: They genuinely believe that playing non-divine mortals in the new scion setting is going to be so compelliing and essential that it is and should be the core book in a game about playing Scions.

OR B: They know that their Scion: Origins book won't sell enough on its own, so they are putting 50 pages that you need to play the entire system, and putting it ONLY in that book, to get more people to buy it.

If A: They are sorely mistaken. If B: They are dicks.
>>
>>49558427
Putting the rules in the book that serves as the origin for your character makes the most sense. You just happen to disagree with that.

>This is one of the reasons I plan to pirate, and at no point give them any money, because you don't reward dick-moves.
Dick moves like pirating something with no intent to give the struggling company recompense simply because you disagree with their choice of setting up the gameline?

The core rules are in the core book. The core book just happens to be something that you don't want. It's putting the core rules in the Players Handbook, you'd just prefer if they were in the PHB2 instead.

They're not sorely mistaken. You are. Nevermind that you literally cannot know whether or not Scion: Origins is compelling, since you haven't seen a fucking thing from it.
>>
>>49558466
Boy wiz I sure bet this optional step in the game is a good place to put the core rules, despite it being a book of bonuses. Boy I sure bet that playing a weak mortal with no powers or epic powers will be really fun, cause that's what I come to play scion for.
>>
Why not just Kickstart a StoryPath core rulebook with just the generic rules, and then use that as a spring board for starting off the Scion and Trinity Continuum lines? On second thought, never mind, Onyx Path is pretty slow to fufill stuff.
>>
>>49547578
mortal WoD games are very fun
>>
>>49558633
Honestly, I would support a cheaper, smaller, story-path core book that sold in bundles with either Scion or Trinity WAY before I supported putting the core rules in a splat-book.
>>
File: moxie-HFBE344.jpg (9KB, 126x280px) Image search: [Google]
moxie-HFBE344.jpg
9KB, 126x280px
>>49558466
By that logic, the D&D core rules should be in a book about children tilling the fields, dreaming of one day being a great adventurer, and studying in wizard academies.

The core rules should, if the publishers aren't being shitheads, be in the book that is most fundamental to the setting and likely to otherwise be used. That is not the case. The overwhelming majority of people who buy scion: origins are paying for a full book, when all they really want is the small fraction of it is the core rules to play OTHER GAMES. This would sort of be like if Coke ONLY sold Coke cans by the six-pack, but five of the six cans are always Moxie. Yes, some people like moxie, but most don't, and forcing people to buy lots of moxie in order to get access to the coke they want isn't cool. Selling Moxie cola is fine, but forcing people who don't like moxie (i.e. most people) to buy it in order to buy what they really want as part of a bundle is not okay.
>>
>>49534156
Can you create Your own Pantheons?

I want to create the Pantheons from Runequest
>>
>>49548569

Trinity is going to work like Scion, though: a Trinity corebook which is about modern-day action-adventure games, and then Aeon, Aberrent, and Adventure as gamelines that build off it, nwod-style.
>>
Woo, I see we've got a new argument to eat up threads.

1. Inclusive characters/SJW conspiracy
2. The pantheon names are wrong/boring
3. OPP lied about the setting
4. Origins is a waste

I can't wait to see what shitshow the next thread brings.

However, in the interest of trying to start a conversation about the game, what pantheon is your favorite? Why?

What pantheon do you not play often or outright dislike? Why?

I always had trouble with the Aztec pantheon. Something about the heavy reliance on ritual and blood sacrifice was always a turn off for me. Just could never come up with a character concept I cared for.
>>
>>49559100
>Can you create Your own Pantheons?

You absolutely can. Look at the Greco-Roman pantheon preview in the OP. A God is just a collection of Callings and Purviews. The hardest part will likely be designing a pantheon-specific purview and even then, it looks like OPP will be putting some instructions into the book thanks to the Kickstarter.
>>
>>49559142
I never really had a issue with the blood part, it was more that all the gods kinda seem like the biggest of cunts.
>>
>>49559142
Gonna start a game soon using some rules fixes for 1e. Players are gonna be a Scion of Kali and one of the Irish (player is undecided at the moment). My overall idea is that Kama is fucking pissed at the Irish deities for constantly dying and coming back without going through the process of reincarnation. He's going to try and force the Irish Gods to go through his Underworld so they can't just go through eternity as they keep fucking up and getting away with it.
>>
>>49559142
I like the japanese pantheon.
>>
File: nuklear wessels.jpg (22KB, 800x451px) Image search: [Google]
nuklear wessels.jpg
22KB, 800x451px
>>49556583
It's good advice.
>>
>>49558993
The more this argument goes on, the more ridiculous your analogies get.
The core rules are too much to shove into Hero, but not enough to stand on their own. They were put into a pre-Hero book with other stuff, like setting information and other character types. We get it. You don't like that. You can keep saying that until you're blue in the face and no one will care. You can talk about how you're being forced to buy the rules for other stuff even when you only want ~the fraction~ that is the core rules, but it still doesn't matter. What you're getting is the book for character creation and low level play with enough additional setting and character types for that to be stand alone. The book is, what, 125 pages? Your argument seems to be that MOST of that will be stuff you don't want, but frankly that's probably not true. I think you implied it would be 50 pages of what you want and 70 pages of what you don't, but in all likelihood those numbers are going to be reversed.

>>49559159
I want to know what kind of guidelines and advice they'll have in designing a pantheon, considering they're so simple to make. Half of it will probably be a lot of words dedicated to "Google your Pantheon".
>>
>>49559142
I was always a bit disappointed with the Norse gods' fluff in 1e. I'll never understand what prompted the decision to change a pantheon who knew their ultimate fates and were determined to accept them with valor, into a group ruled by paranoia, who would do anything to avoid their deaths.

Glad to see that, from what little we've seen of them in 2e, that's been changed to something more faithful to the original.
>>
>>49559474
>I want to know what kind of guidelines and advice they'll have in designing a pantheon, considering they're so simple to make. Half of it will probably be a lot of words dedicated to "Google your Pantheon".

Given that it's going to be part of a Companion PDF, I doubt there will be a whole lot of details. Probably something about noting the similarities between pantheons, themes that are repeated, etc. The specific purviews will be the most in-depth part, I imagine, because that requires some actual mechanics.
>>
>>49559492
I have to agree, though I do think having a Norse God who was secretly paranoid and determined to cheat fate no matter the cost would make for a great plot.
>>
>>49559588
Yeah, exactly. It works well as an exception, where it makes an interesting subversion of expectations. Not so much as the norm.
>>
>>49559474
If your options are
A: Have a core book that includes the core mechanics, but is a bit bigger than expected

and

B: Charge just as much for the original core book, even though we took the core rules out of it, and then charge you a second time for the core rules separately, as we quickly kitbash a splat-book around it that nobody asked for to justify charging for a whole second book.

If you pick B, you are a bad company that does not deserve to get paid.

I will be stealing the book, as will most here, because they don't deserve to be paid for two books, when all their customers asked for is the first one.
>>
File: World of Darkness_1.jpg (212KB, 1275x1650px) Image search: [Google]
World of Darkness_1.jpg
212KB, 1275x1650px
>>49559879
Yeah, how dare they do this, this is totally unheard of, they've never done this before how DARE they.
>>
>>49559588
>>
>>49559909
I also refused to give a single cent for nWoD for the same reason, despite it being a better system than oWoD.

However, in nWoD there is at-least SOME justification, because it reduced the cost/size of multiple books through its existence, because there are multiple branches off of the same core book. In the Scionverse, there is only one, so it is reducing the size and cost of ONE book, for no reason other than to sell a splat-book that nobody was asking for.

The market was asking for Scion 2, not Mortals: Scionverse.

Furthermore, there was no lying to the consumer with nWoD. They straight up said "this is the book that you'll basically never use without the others... I mean I guess you could use it by itself, but it's just the core rules." With Scion it's "hey, here's a splat-book you didn't ask for, you're happy right? Right? This is the new core book and totally justified, right?"
>>
>>49559328
Try and push the Irish player to Manaan mac Lir. That'll make it really fun, since he's a weirdo even for an Irish deity, with a huge bag of tricks and a Purview set most other gods wish they could bring to bear. He's not super great with physical stuff, but Epic Manipulation and Epic Wits make for some headfuckery, and it's always fun to remember that he's the guy that taught Lugh everything he knows, but didn't teach Lugh everything HE knows.
>>
>>49559879
>If you pick B, you are a bad company that does not deserve to get paid.
Says. You.
Nevermind that B lets them do more with the "original core book".

>>49559972
You are really just a whiny baby trying to justify piracy. You might as well just say that you're taking a stand against Capitalism. It'd be just as meaningful a contribution to your whining.
>>
>>49559142

Favorite pantheon? I always kind of liked the Loa pantheon, I like strange pantheons and strange gods and the Loa was as strange as you could get. The weird pantheons in 2e please me greatly.

Least favorite would be the Aztecs for, well pretty much the same reason you listed, you are kind of shoehorned into doing things that are dubiously unethical at best to get the most out of your powers, and I could never get around that hump.
>>
>>49560962
I love how incredibly thick you are. There's obviously multiple people you're arguing with, but you insist that it's only one, and you refuse to even consider what they're saying because obviously OPP is perfect and would never do something wrong, either by mistake or by money.

>Nevermind that B lets them do more with the "original core book".
They can put in more options, at the expense of the actual game.

Look, Origins and Hero are coming out at the same time, right? All of the content is available, but several people have pointed out that forcing you to buy two books to get the full rules, instead of having the full rules for both creating a scion and playing a scion conveniently in one place, is something they dislike. It's far past the point where OPP would fix the problem, but theoretically all they would have to do is switch some stuff between the books; they take two or three pantheons from core, maybe a fluff story, and switch them for the rules in Origins. Then the people who want to play Scion and don't want a huge number of options can just buy Hero and have something ready to go out the box. People who want more options (for playing non-scions, for playing different pantheons [rules for different pantheons are already planned for other splats, so it establishes the pattern], for playing people who are generic urban fantasy dudes and not real scions with the full established abilities and roles of scions) can buy Origins. They don't even need to change which pantheons are the important ones in the fluff- just mention that rules for them are in Origins, a fantastic supplement which explores the full range of Scion, available now.

It's the same model every RPG company uses- establish the core rules in the core book, sell additional stuff and alternate rules in splats. I can understand saying, "This doesn't bother me," but saying it's a good idea is some impressive shilling. Also, SR5 is 450 pages; rules could be in Hero without cutting.
>>
>>49559492
I didn't mind the fluff, so much as the awful purview. That blood pact thing was terrible.
>>
Where's the best place to start learning about Japanese mythology?
>>
>>49560962

I would honestly prefer less content in the book if it meant that I could just pick up Hero as a standalone core. It's not like these are indie games where only one corebook might ever exist.

Scion is less like CofD and more like Exalted, where the world is certainly important, but what's more important is the splat it's about, that being the Exalted. So the corebook can cover Mortals and Heroic Mortals along with the main rules, but it knows if you're really using the core, it's to play Solars. I think Pre-Scions and maybe a mythical creature or two would have been fine, but the core rulebook should be Scion: Hero, with a The World splat later in the line.

I'll still buy Origins and Hero when I get the cash (I won't pirate it either, cause I find that shit a hassle), but I'll never see it as the right way to roll out this edition.
>>
>>49562762
Wikipedia.
>>
>>49562757
Jotenblut was tragically bad when it could only be applied to followers, but it got significantly better when they allowed for it to be used on animals and creatures. I never cared for it before then, but after, I had a Scion of Sif who owned a pig farm.
>>
>>49558072
He doesn't have to choose people in wheelchairs. Just brilliant people.
>>
I'm only interested in this game at the Origins level at the moment, and I know little about Scion (other than having a brief flip-through of 1e Heroes at my library).

What sort of conflicts are there in the setting for mortals/heroic mortals? 'Origins' is probably just pre-realization that you're a god-spawn, right?
>>
>>49558072
>Implying that the 1st edition's "all Scions are clones of their parents with the exact same personal history except the names cheekily replaced with slightly more modern sounding ones" is good
>>
>>49559142
>Woo, I see we've got a new argument to eat up threads.
>1. Inclusive characters/SJW conspiracy
>2. The pantheon names are wrong/boring
>3. OPP lied about the setting
>4. Origins is a waste

I honestly find it interesting we find something new to argue about each time. Though the most vitriolic ones were in the past, maybe people are getting tired or something.
>>
>>49563283

But how else could they show off their American Gods influence?

>>49563254

It's honestly hard to come up with examples, since Scion 1e barely had a setting and had no real heroic mortal/mortal support, and details of 2e's setting are pretty scant for non-Scions at the moment. I guess standard action movie things?
>>
File: Maxxing Dexterity.webm (2MB, 690x388px) Image search: [Google]
Maxxing Dexterity.webm
2MB, 690x388px
>>49563254
The Visitation is the defining moment in a Scion's life, when all the strange things and odd coincidences that have followed them through their life are put into perspective with the revelation that they are a child of a god. They are also then introduced to the conflict against the Titans, granted boons to participate in that war, and brought together with other Scions.

There's literally no established way for pre-Visitation scions, which are the focus of Origins, to have any meaningful conflict. Going off the stories in 1e, along with the outline for Visitation (which plays out like Preludes in WoD, short scenes that establish backstory), as soon as you are getting involved with the conflict you are getting a Visitation, and vice versa. There's no street level below that of Hero, a time where you'd spend your night putting on spandex and fighting cults only to figure it all out in a couple of years when your Parent says hi.

Hero is the level for mortal/heroic mortal things. Assuming they fixed the problems with Epic Dexterity, you're in just as much danger fighting a couple of guys with guns as you are wrastling an 18-foot feathered serpent, and this is the level where your followers could reasonably be regular mortals, and you'll interact with regular mortals and other Hero-tier Scions 90% of the time. It's only when you start getting into Demigod and Legend 4 that you really start getting away from mortal concerns.
>>
>>49563254
At the mortal level, the setting never seemed to be much different from literally any run of the mill high urban fantasy one. Dresden Files, Kitty Norville, Buffy the Vampire Slayerl, shit like that. Not really Being Human or something, that's kinda low key.

There was never any focus on them before so it's a bit hard to say for certain, but like, you're a person, and you live in the same world as satyrs, kitsune, ghosts and werewolves. Go wild.
>>
>>49563361
>But how else could they show off their American Gods influence?
By having the gods use that naming scheme as their fake identities when in the world?
>>
>>49563443
The gods of Scion never felt very subtle. I mean, the introduction players get into how they operate is 6 gods hanging out in a Las Vegas hotel, chatting and sending their scions out to do personal errands.
>>
>>49563499
>I mean, the introduction players get into how they operate is 6 gods hanging out in a Las Vegas hotel, chatting and sending their scions out to do personal errands.
That's just depressing for the Scions. "Oh look at us, the divine children of gods being sent on fetch errands"
>>
>>49563520
It's pretty much in line with mythology, though.

Like, seriously. A lot of mythological heroic tales, most famously from Classical Greece but really from just about anywhere, were basically

>God decides they want something frivolous, on a whim
>Instead of using their presumably infinite powers to grab it, appears and directs some random prince to do so
>Prince goes on a great adventure to grab thing for god

If they're LUCKY, all that'd happen is that they aren't rewarded, rather than, say, managing to somehow hurt the god's feelings in the process and also ending up with their entire nation cursed for all eternity on top of getting no reward for their troubles.
>>
>>49563555
Great quest is a pretty decent errand. You made the Vegas thing sound like they were being sent to pick up the chinese and hookers for their parents.
>>
>>49563443

Pffff, that's silly, you're silly.

In all seriousness though, I do hope the example Scions are more than that this time around.
>>
>>49563520
I think thats the point.

You think you're hot shit, but politics comes first in ensuring the Titans dont wreck the world.
>>
>>49563616
>pick up the chinese and hookers for their parents.

Yes on the hooker, but you're preventing the Chinese from picking up.

They're actually not bad little quests. The Aztec wants his queen of flowers (a married woman on vacation who looks like this god's waifu), Horus wants his scion to guard something overnight while a Chinese scion of the Monkey King tries to steal it, Thor wants you to mess up a deal Loki is doing because fuck Loki, Aphrodite wants to arrange love for a couple, who they end up loving doesn't matter to her so long as it's love, etc
>>
>>49563620
Well, you can bet your ass none of them would have the same race or sexual orientation as their parent.
>>
>>49563682
I doubt they're going to go that far. They're likely to have the same race, and there will be a couple of gays, but it's more likely to see a female scion of a male god and vice versa (which was in 1e, the Japanese and Greek heroes iirc).

I think they're keeping Donner et al., so things aren't going to be full Steven Universe faggotry even if the new ones are ridiculous.
>>
>>49563675
>Thor wants you to mess up a deal Loki is doing because fuck Loki,

And people wonder why he hates them all

>>49563682

>Well, you can bet your ass none of them would have the same race or sexual orientation as their parent.

I kind of like that in a few cases, since the gods can incarnate wherever the fuck they want and can chose Chosen Scions from anyone. Doesn't need to be all, but a couple examples would be a cool touch. And maybe tell us what a god's incarnations outside their classic motifs are like. What's black or Chinese Zeus like for instance?
>>
>>49563682

Well, yeah. You say that like genetics aren't a thing, or that the drama loving kinds of gods wouldn't go around spreading seed around the world. Zeus probably makes sure he has a kid on every continent, even Antarctica.
>>
>>49563727
>They're likely to have the same race
At the very least we know the iconic Scion of Loki is an Iraqi.
>>
>>49563737
I need the classic motifs to be real, because I want a chance to try to play a Scion of John Henry. Missed it the first time around.
>>
>>49563745
There's what, 20 iconics? Good and bad from each pantheon? They can raceswap a few of them to hit ethnic groups the game doesn't cover and still have majority be from the same culture.
>>
>>49563361
>>49563397
>>49563421

Well, hopefully that changes a bit this edition then. I'm hype as fuck for that slow, steady realization of the world not being what it seems.
>>
>>49563950
My problem with that is that (unless you somehow conceal what the game actually is from your players by redacting the title and all relevant info) you already know what the deal is. In my experience, you can't get a lot of fun out of playing a mysterious reveal when the players already know the reveal; purely by accidental metagaming if nothing else, they're going to push in the direction of mythological gods.

It could be fun for a session or three before getting into Hero (especially if you don't plan on the game going past Hero, and you want to emphasise getting thrown into danger), but trying to slowly crank up the supernatural when the players know the deal, and know that the vast majority of cool stuff happens once they actually become acknowledged Scions, is a very difficult proposition.
>>
>>49560962
>"Original Core book"
No, it makes the core book less versatile, and forces you to buy a book that most fans have no interest in, did not ask for, and specifically asked OPP not to make when they announced it years ago on the forums, just to use the book we really wanted.

Some people are excited about Origins, hell if it wasn't the sole vessel for the core rules, I would be too, it's a neat little splat book, that would make a good fifth release after the companion... however it is not the core book, it is a means of forcing the game's fans to pay for two books when the overwhelming majority only want one of the two.

>It's the same model every RPG company uses- establish the core rules in the core book, sell additional stuff and alternate rules in splats.
No, not accurate. Other companies don't make their core books non-functional without the splat-books. THAT is the problem.

>people who are generic urban fantasy dudes and not real scions with the full established abilities and roles of scions) can buy Origins
Given that the game is called SCION, and has, for almost a decade, been about playing SCIONS, and supported by fans of the old SCION, people using the SCION system to do this, without wanting to also play SCIONS will be FAR outnumbered by those who want to play SCIONS without wanting to play Mortals: Scion-Setting. OPP knew this, and that is WHY they made the necessary-to-play book the one they knew their fans didn't want in the first place.... that's not okay.

The core rules should be in the core book (Scion: Hero) not a splat book that most fans don't intend to use outside of the minority of pages that include the core rules.

If they don't fix this problem, they deserve to lose fans, and sales.
>>
>>49564051
It's how my group normally does WoD. Generally we enjoy that slow turn-over, despite knowing we're in a WoD campaign. And most of them are Percy Jackson fans so it'd probably work out well.

Probably just a group thing.
>>
>>49564156
A) You quote like shit

B) The latter two snips are arguing against someone who agrees with you, because you're pulling out sentences and not reading the whole paragraph. Forest for the trees.
>>
>>49564223
How slow are we talking, and how do you do that turnover? Do you say, "Ok, we're playing Vampire. We're gonna have 8 sessions, then you'll all be turned."

It works for something like Hunter were you can have a good slow burn, but with other games like Vampire and Scion, there's a clear dividing line where you get into the actual meat of the game. It might just be a group thing; the people in my community are active enough, and there's enough games going around, that if they're told they're going to be playing Adventurer Conqueror King and 6 months later they're still 3rd level adventurers, they're going to lose interest.

Also, Percy Jackson is the opposite of a slow burn. It's actually basically how Visitation worked in 1e and in the fluff. Normal guy with a few weird things in his life he can't quite explain, suddenly things go upside down when a monster shows up, 3 days later he has been claimed by a god and is hanging out at Scion summer camp. If you want to play, "My years as a dyslectic ADD preteen," more power to you, but it's not a straight comparison at that point.
>>
>>49564310
More like 20 sessions and then we end it once people start turning into supernaturals, and make new characters.
>>
File: Drinking.gif (2MB, 240x135px) Image search: [Google]
Drinking.gif
2MB, 240x135px
>>49564413
Every time I think I understand you, 4chan, you do something that surprises me. All I can say is that you must really fucking love the core mechanics of WoD, and absolutely hate every other part.
>>
>>49562746
>Anyone who doesn't jump on my hate train is clearly just sucking the developer's dicks

>>49562790
I know there are other, possibly even better, ways of doing it, but that poster is basically acting like this is a war crime, and seems to want everyone else to agree.
>>
>>49536599
Assuming you're still around i have a question i think you can answer. They're just testing stuff for hero right now right? Like they don't have any demigod or god level stuff written up yet
>>
>>49564473
Honestly you could replace the mechanics with whatever. It's just what our DM is used to.
>>
>>49564689
Same anon.

I don't have anything against the nWoD setting (though I'm not a fan of oWoD). It's just we all enjoy playing mortals. Occasionally an old character might pop up as a cameo. I played a ghoul at one point -- that was probably the most fun I've had in a roleplay.
>>
>>49563727
>so things aren't going to be full Steven Universe faggotry even if the new ones are ridiculous.
I don't even know what that means, but I wish they would just so that /tg/ could throw a hissyfit.

>>49563682
>>49563727
>>49563737
>>49563744
>>49563803
You are not your parent. Your divine parent being male doesn't mean you will be. You're not a reincarnation, and even if you were, you wouldn't be the same as your original form. The Gods also aren't stuck in one location, or to one ethnicity. You could have a black Scion of Odin, for instance. Spoilers for American Gods, you really should have read it by now.
Nevermind that since the game probably will be Americentric in some regards, very few of the characters will be from their pantheon's country of origin.
>>
>>49564689
>>49564732
If you have fun doing that, I'm glad. It's just a very unusual way to play WoD. Did your DM just buy a bunch of White Wolf books in the 90's and he's unwilling to learn a new system geared for playing mortals in urban fantasy?
>>
>>49564156
It is the corebook, whether you like that or not.
It is not non-functional without the splat books.
Being a Scion doesn't mean being Hero level.
Stop acting like no one wanted Origins and that OPP knew no one wanted it.
They don't need your fandom or money, we don't need you in this thread.
>>
>>49564610

>possibly even better

It's hard to get much "worse" (overall I think it's fine for my needs) than the current method if we're talking about what the game is. The line is set up like a CofD style line, where there are several major splats that are parts of a greater world, for an Exalted style line, which is focused on one major game style first and foremost. It's even more focused in its game style than Exalted, which had its Exalted types be so different that those needed their own books.

I don't think it's actually set up to be a money grab or a misguided mistake, though. This is clearly a practice run for Trinity's release, since that actually does justify a seperate core rulebook from Aeon, Aberrant, and Adventure! This is to see whether or not that kind of release set-up could be supported on Kickstarter.
>>
>>49563616
But from the parent's perspective, that's what it is. It's only a great quest for you because you're half mortal.
>>
>>49564784
She has a hard-on for the oWoD setting/rules (and by that I only mean Vampires, and by that I only mean the Sabbat/Baali), and it's the only rule system she runs.

So we use nWoD character sheets with oWoD dice rules, unless someone becomes a vampire at which point they have an oWoD vampire character sheet. oWoD vampires with an otherwise selectively nWoD setting.

The only real consistency is Masquerade vampires and politics.

It's a mechanical mess, but I enjoy the other players and general story/roleplay enough where it's a good time.
>>
>>49564756

Yes, most of those posts were in agreement. The main issue with the iconics is whether or not they were going to go the 1e route of "lived lives suspiciously in parallel to their parent". It's clear that that was there to emphasize 1e's Fatebinding themes, but it was always pretty lame. Whether or not their race and sexuality is different is nowhere near as important as whether or not their back stories and deals are cool, especially if they'll have anywhere near as much importance as 1e iconics.

>>49564785

Please don't backseat mod. It's 4chan, we should all be used to hyperbole by now.
>>
>>49563214
>Implying Hephaestus wouldn't be too much of an autist to pick anyone better looking than him
The motherfucker is the patron god of /r9k/ and we all know it
>>
>>49563803
Plus some of them kind of have to be from different cultures. Like, do you really think the aztec deities are only going to fuck pureblooded Nahua bitches? There's what, like a thousand of those in the world total? And it's not like most of the deities are racist anyway. Sure, you could fuck some little abuelita in Mexico because she's descended from a good bloodline, but you could also fuck some chicana in LA who had her boyfriend paint your emblem on her wall and goes out at least once a month to kill some niggers as a sacrifice. Scraps already do all but the last part of that pretty ubiquitously, so in OPP's "polytheism is totally still a thing" world, there's gotta be a ton of cholas like that to pick from.
>>
>>49564610
>that poster is basically acting like this is a war crime, and seems to want everyone else to agree.
>Why are people on /tg/ getting autistically angry over meaningless things? This is unheard of!
>>
>>49564907
>The motherfucker is the patron god of /r9k/ and we all know it

Isn't that literally Kek?
>>
>>49564907
>there's no boon for the magical delivery of tendies without having to talk to anyone, even Mom

NEET purview when?
>>
>>49564644
Correct. This is play testing for the books being funded right now on ks. I have no idea how demigod or god grade boons look to share even a bit. Sorry
>>
>>49565113
... boys the netjer just got a new memeber
>>
>>49565132
Freeform fertility miracle to literally poof sustenance into being?
>>
>>49565113
>>49565153
>yfw the Donald is Kek's Scion

It all makes so much sense now
>>
>>49562762
Anyone?
Do they have a body of myths like the poetic edda or whatever that book on greek myths i read in highschool was called?
>>
File: bob ross.gif (922KB, 496x372px) Image search: [Google]
bob ross.gif
922KB, 496x372px
>>49564413
>>49564865
I cannot imagine playing in your group, but I'm glad you guys are having fun. I hope you get some mileage out of Origins too if that slow burn is very much your bag.
>>
>>49565676
Honestly your best bet is wikipedia or googling up books about their myths. There's probably one or two made by legit scholars and written for the masses, but I don't really know any offhand.
>>
>>49565676
The best place to start is always wikipedia, but there should be a good textbook or two that you can get from Amazon.
>>
>>49564822
I can think of several things that are worse.

>>49564877
We've clearly seen that the iconics don't follow their parentage. The Scion of Loki was a doctor turned cabby for fucks sake.

>Please don't backseat mod. It's 4chan, we should all be used to hyperbole by now.
I'm not even sure you quoted the right post...

>>49564865
>So we use nWoD character sheets with oWoD dice rules, unless someone becomes a vampire at which point they have an oWoD vampire character sheet. oWoD vampires with an otherwise selectively nWoD setting.
That sounds utterly garbage.

>>49564951
I didn't say it's unheard of. But I can hear it a thousand times and still find it annoying.
It's like a smoke detector, except I can't change the batteries and/or smash it with a hammer.
>>
>>49565811

>I can think of several things that are worse.

Name them.

>We've clearly seen that the iconics don't follow their parentage. The Scion of Loki was a doctor turned cabby for fucks sake.

Yes, that is a good start. Let's hope he's not the only one.

>I'm not even sure you quoted the right post...

>They don't need your fandom or money, we don't need you in this thread.

Nope, got the right one, but thank you for your concern. They've got every right to post, and it's not cool for that poster to ask them to leave. People should be able to have discussions about the game even if they're a bit over the top.
>>
>>49565923
>Name them.
God-Machine Chronicle Rules Update

>They've got every right to post, and it's not cool for that poster to ask them to leave
It's 4chan, we should all be used to people being told to go away by now.
Their rights have nothing to do with it, I'm just tired of hearing them.
>>
>>49564907
Don't fucking talk about my husbando that way you double nigger.
>>
File: tumblr_njv1hrgQys1tap4fho1_1280.jpg (118KB, 900x489px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_njv1hrgQys1tap4fho1_1280.jpg
118KB, 900x489px
This is how I Vulcan:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RD6DVYM8ktc
>>
>>49566484
>Even his mum hated him because he was born a neckbeard
>Literally got cucked by the Chad of Olympus
>Creates magical items strong enough to trap gods entirely because >REEEEE
The guy's awesome, but he's also a fucking frogposter and you know it.
>>
>>49567648
Where's that from? That's pretty great.
>>
>>49568670
Adventures of Baron Munchausen
>>
>We could go the complete "you wants Jehovah and Allah? You won't like it" route, linking Jehovah with El and Allah with the pre-Islamic Arabian pantheon's moon God. That'd fit Scion's world.
>It would also anger just about everyone.
>Really, it's a good thing Neall's in charge if this, not me.

Based DaveB
>>
>>49569306
I'd totally love that just so my players could participate in literal holy war.
>>
Wait shit is baldur not going to be around in this one? He was my favorite norse god
>>
>>49569606
Baldur might already be dead. But as it's been shown, you can make whatever god you want pretty easily.
>>
>>49569522
They already can. Jehovah and Allah aren't the only holy deities.
>>
>>49569709
They're the only ones whose followers would start shit IRL though.
>>
>>49569606
I always liked him. Good to have an actually nice character in a pantheon full of kinda dicks
>>
>>49569606

He's in.
>>
>>49570571
I had assumed because he was in the first edition core, but then i saw this
http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/main-forum/scion/518351-ask-neall/page26
That was over a year ago though. So it's good to hear.
>>
>>49569853
That's because followers of the others don't exist in real life.
>>
>>49570880
>It might be technically illegal to go around doing vigilante justice, but the cops don't tend to mind when you punch out the frost giant in Time Square or haul in the weird snake cult guy with mind control eyes. As a whole, Scions don't have Batman or Spider-Man reputation problems.
Scion Justice League is a go.
>>
>>49571383
Yeah, that's definitely not the type of game I wanna play, but I can understand the switch to that as a default. I'll be sticking with the more secretive, behind-the-scenes stuff.
>>
>>49571383
Time to make that Pantheon
>>
New thread?
>>
New thread >>49572396
>>
>>49571383
It's also bullshit. A frost giant has every much right to be in Times Square as a person of any other ethnicity, and following a weird religion is not a crime.
Thread posts: 323
Thread images: 33

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.