[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Chess thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

File: Chess position.png (44KB, 532x532px) Image search: [Google]
Chess position.png
44KB, 532x532px
I'm a beginner to chess, what would you more experienced players say is the best avenue for attack by white from this position?

Also chess discussion just in general is welcome ITT.

Book or website recommendations for a beginner would be appreciated as well.

>tfw I made this thread on /asp/ first but was driven out
>>
At this point, it looks like it's too early in the game to worry about avenues of attack. You just want to further fortify your position. Your b2 pawn hanging; it looks like b3 would be a good move.
>>
>>49533910

B2 isn't hanging, a pawn or piece is only hanging if there's something attacking it and nothing or insufficient material defending it.

>>49533300

That being said, I also agree it's premature to attack. You've got to do something about h4, as his next likely step is to lay siege to the pawn. You could push g3 to protect it, but that makes your dark square bishop an expensive pawn.

Haven't analyzed the position, but my gut instinct is that you should be playing Rb1-b4-c5 to try to open up that long diagonal your bishop is on, get some play out of it. But it's a long way from where you are to any sort of decisive advantage, if it can be attained at all.

>Book or website recommendations for a beginner would be appreciated as well.

I've always found the 1953 Zurich book to be extraordinarily helpful for beginners.
>>
D4-D5?
>>
>>49534068

Lets him trade off his e-pawn for your c pawn and frees up his light squared bishop. Probably not a good idea.
>>
>>49533300
Ng4 is an irritating threat. Move the king for space then push up the b-pawn for a queenside siege
>>
File: Chess whoopsie-daisy.png (34KB, 533x537px) Image search: [Google]
Chess whoopsie-daisy.png
34KB, 533x537px
Thanks for all the input but unfortunately due to my incompetence it ended embarrasingly.
I got complacent since I got a material advantage which made me not think things through.
Is chess not commonly discussed on /tg/ since there hasn't been any general discussion here or is it confined to some broader general like board games?
>>
>>49533940
Sorry, got my terminology mixed up.
>>
File: image.jpg (36KB, 320x400px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
36KB, 320x400px
>>49534850
The former. Most successful chess thread I saw involved puzzles. Most devolves into shitposting about the lack of listbuilding, hitpoints, and mai waifu. Pic related
>>
>>49534850
That position is still salvageable though. First glance says black is still at a disadvantage.
>>
>>49536017
>e] [Auto] 1 new post

Black is still at a massive disadvantage, but I'm guessing he allowed black to take his queen with the rook on d8, or dropped both rook and queen.

But assuming white to move, Qe7, Qxd1+, Kh2, followed by maneuvering the queen around to h6 and bringing the bishop on the long diagonal should win rather easily.
>>
>>49534850
There's chess threads now and again, along with Go threads - most of the time the long-lasting ones are usually when a group of intermediate players can get together.

I think a "traditional board games general" could get some traction if you lumped together Chess, Go, Weiqi, and Shogi (and made allowances for other things like backgammon, checkers, and maybe even cards). Main issue is that these are the sorts of games that are far more fun to play than to talk about.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.