[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Corpse Vault : ideas?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 4

File: 1.jpg (3MB, 3024x4032px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
3MB, 3024x4032px
So I'm working on running my first pathfinder campaign from scratch. I need help fleshing things out.

the first few sessions need to be very VERY "on rails" so I need help identifying areas where a douchey party could diverge, and then I need ideas on how to keep them on track.

Also... Trap ideas, so much fun, and I'd like to illustrate a collection to show my party whenever they trip an especially complex or sinister one.

/qst/ told me to fuck off...It's getting hard to fit in even on the chan these days...
>>
File: 1.jpg (2MB, 400x7466px) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
2MB, 400x7466px
Yes I know, I draw and write like a 15 year old.

I stopped trying to be good at drawing the moment I got my second rejection letter from digipen.
>>
File: 2.jpg (2MB, 400x6933px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
2MB, 400x6933px
Some build ideas for these characters would be appreciated as well.

Spoiler alert, the cleric isn't a cleric at all. I'll go into deeper lore if I get...human interaction I guess..
>>
File: 1474813618268.jpg (39KB, 436x436px) Image search: [Google]
1474813618268.jpg
39KB, 436x436px
You were told to leave /qst/ because you couldn't even bother yourself to read the sticky.

I have to wonder why you're doing this. Is this just one massive cutscene, or do you really expect your party to just ask what you should do next all the time? You're clearly expecting them to follow a script, but haven't shown or told them at all. What do you expect them to do?
>I decide to leave town and not explore the vault
>No you don't, you have to explore it because it says in my notebook that you do
>>
>>49528673

Exactly, I'm trying to create circumstances where I can that pushes the party in a direction.

Does that make a little more sense?

I basically need help figuring out where a party might diverge from where I'd like to push them, and then I need to figure out how to keep them on track.

just for the first few sessions.
>>
>>49528713
I don't fully understand why you wouldn't just start the party where you want them to end up, unless you want to just play a paranoia-like game
>>
No, take your railroading elsewhere though I do have to admit that I like your drawings. Better than anything I can do at least.
>>
>>49528731

I'd like to give a bit of context about the vault and then incentive pertaining to certain parts of the vault.

Basically there's a lot of rumors floating around the country but nothing confirmed by anyone sane.

Like just being in the country a player might be able to detect a large influx of negative energy almost coming from the ground itself.

>>49528741

Thanks, but the reason I want rails for the first bit is just so the party understands which narrative ques mean they should be making skill checks.
>>
>This looks hella fun anon! So what's actually in the vault??

Thanks non-existent anon, that's a really good question!
The vault as the party first gets into it, isn't actually filled with treasure that was intentionally placed there. Its filled with the spoils of hot-shot mercenaries and famous treasure hunters.

Later on the party will find these strange smooth stones. These are basically soul gems and whenever someone dies within the vault these stones come into existance extradimensionally and are then used to fuel the sentient parts of the vault. The vault is an organism, that was designed to collect the souls of the greedy.

As the vault gets more powerful it actually grows like a wart under the earth expanding and creating entrances to farther expanses of the country.
>>
>>49528540
>I need help identifying areas where a douchey party could diverge, and then I need ideas on how to keep them on track.
Don't herd your players, incentivize them.
And I'm not sure if mentally antagonizing them already is the way to go.

Look at LotFP expansions, I think they might be up your alley.

I really like your notebook. Have you considered making one that is in-setting, like something the characters could discover in the dungeon?

>>49528713
Just give them a reason to stay on track. Use the carrot, not the bat wrapped in NATO wire.

>>49528782
>which narrative ques mean they should be making skill checks
You have lost me. I don't know what's going on here.

>>49529045
Okay, cool your jets. I see what you are trying to do, but you aren't doing it. You're like a guy on an open mic stage who tries to describe jokes he heard other people tell without actually telling the jokes.

The way you approach it there's countless issues. First and foremost there's nothing for players to latch on to, your setting is complex and secret. That's not a story to explore. There is no need to define those things because the players will discover that layer in 3 adventures at the earliest. You are bogging the game down with stuff the players will never see the way things are going.

Play premade modules. Or focus on one session and prep for that. All this worldbuilding is nice but unrelated to any actual games that actual people actually play.
>>
>>49529292

Huh, well that was pretty much all the feedback I need for making this a bit more do-able.

So basically,

Start them out with loot incentive from some sort of head figure to do a simple task [ie go here and you'll get this from me]

And then kinda just let it unravel from there.

and what I mean with narrative ques, is simply

Giving the players a broad explanation of the situation in such a way that they might think to make skill checks based on my info.

Does that make sense? I want to make sure the players feel comfortable interacting with whats in front of them.
>>
>>49529486
It sounds a bit like you are trying to make an investigation. This will be hard in D20. It's an encounter combat game with classes and powerlevels.

Motivation can be loot. But try to make it personal. Integrate the players and their characters' histories. Have someone's stolen heirloom artifact rumored to be in the dungeon. Lead the wizard with a spell book, but not just filled with spells for them to learn, an ancient tome of great power than many jealous colleagues will want to study.

You have to find something that matters to them, or make something matter to them. The good old kidnapped NPC often gets abused for this poorly. But if you get the players to care about that NPC in another context first then it can be a very powerful and fitting incentive.
>>
>>49529598

I've read about investigation in pathfinder campaigns and...

You know...just re-reading through all this...I think I do legitimately have Aspergers...

I'm gonna stop, I'm very sorry for posting.
>>
>>49529699
Don't be.

Just try to find out what you are trying to do with your scenario, then find ways to do it.

You're a bit all over the map right now. But that's okay. I just don't feel it's ready for players, from the little you have shared here. It would be frustrating to try and host this as is.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.