[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any sci-fi systems that allow dogfighting in space?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 5

File: 1473588362219.jpg (96KB, 906x962px) Image search: [Google]
1473588362219.jpg
96KB, 906x962px
Are there any sci-fi systems that allow dogfighting in space? I've seen more of massive ship combat, but I was curious about smaller fighter ships in space as well.

Although I doubt it's easy to combine the two into a single system. The scale seems to be a bit too far apart.
>>
>>49525735

X-Wing, and there's a kickstarter for a similar but more generic game. Unless you're talking about RPGs, because then it gets fucky with how to actually represent fighter combat. Your best case would probably be something lighter on rules to help abstract and streamline it as a narrative system rather than strictly mechanical, but FFG doesn't deliver much in that regard.

The two can be somewhat combined with smaller big ships (Corvettes, Frigates, whatever) making an appearance in the fighter games as large set-pieces like X-Wing does. But in an Armada-type game, fighters are relegated to abstracted squadrons with limited ability, but useful mobility and utility, in support of the large ships.
>>
>>49525735
Silcore, in particular the Jovian Chronicles rules do it quite well.
>>
File: Fragged_Empire_Kaltoran.jpg (469KB, 604x840px) Image search: [Google]
Fragged_Empire_Kaltoran.jpg
469KB, 604x840px
>>49525735
Fragged Empire has a pretty in depth spacecraft section and combat rules.
>>
>>49525735
Diaspora has the best working ship combat I know.

It doesn't hold you up with tracking 3D space. Space and movement is abstracted into 1 number, giving the GM license to tell a story during combat while also retaining hard numbers to roll dice against.
>>
File: hqdefault.jpg (18KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
18KB, 480x360px
>>49525735
GURPS does both things, and nearly everything else you can think of too.
>>
File: 1459502338307.png (92KB, 503x257px) Image search: [Google]
1459502338307.png
92KB, 503x257px
>>49526762
This is true. The only downside is that it's GURPS.
>>
>>49526248
Until you forget your vector and slide off the fucking map. If you're using map movement anyway.
>>
>>49526330
I would like to second this suggestion. I haven't actually gotten into ship combat in the game I am playing in beyond running from an enemy carrier but the rules seem very well put together.
>>
>>49526937
>GURPS is a meme
>Implying hating GURPS isn't a meme
>>
>>49528146
Hating GURPS only became a meme because of the one-eyed tunnel-vision shitlords who are incapable of learning or playing any other system, and made themselves a mockery among people who'd rather play something less generic.
>>
>>49528171
That's not even it. It's how proud they are of their autism that makes it meme territory.
>>
>>49527829
I love map movement and if you're that much of a sissy to forget to counter burn you deserve it.
>>
File: Lancer.gif (6KB, 134x144px) Image search: [Google]
Lancer.gif
6KB, 134x144px
>>49528803
Yeah but you gotta admit it's funny when someone new burns flat out and then realises just how far that will take them.
>>
Are any of these good for 2-3 players in 1 ship? I've been getting high off of Elite and Star Citizen and want to share the experience with my players.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.