[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MTG Frontier General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 323
Thread images: 16

https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/54jyvl/postmodern_has_begun_hareruya_and_bigmagic_team

For those who aren't caught up.

A store in Japan has funded a massive tournament to try out a new eternal format called "Frontier". This format involves cards from M15 onwards, and will essentially be a "Fixed" modern.

This thread is for Brews, discussions and theories. Will this catch on? Would you be willing to try it out as a new format?
>>
>>49521879

For those who are unaware, Frontier Legal sets at this point would be:

M15
Khans of Tarkir
Fate Reforged
Dragons of Tarkir
Magic Origins
Battle For Zendikar
Oath of the Gatewatch
Shadows Over Innistrad
Eldritch Moon
Kaladesh

Other things to note:
>Allied fetch lands are legal.
>Chord of Calling is legal.
>Enemy fast lands have just been printed.
>Battle lands are fetchable
>Eldrazi are playable without Eye of Ugin/Eldrazi temple.
>>
>>49521954
Is Tcruise banned is the most important question
>>
Dead format
>>
>>49521879

All this proves is in ten years they're going to have another eternal format, and the cycle cycles.
>>
>>49521991
>Without hesitation the search "beyond the time" "cruise of the treasure ship" has been banned or restricted in other formats
I want to use four
>its not banned
Muh dick
>>
>>49522035
You mean
>All this proves is that Wotc's reprint policy is unsustainable and is causing a fracturing in the playerbase
>>
>it's another "Reddit brews a quickly solved DOA format" episode
>>
>>49521879

I'm not really sure if it's the time already to start the format. I would wait with it till non-egypt.
>>
>>49522148
Or "I don't want CoCo to leave standard but am too shit for modern"
>>
>>49522101

>Treasure Cruise isn't banned

GOAT FORMAT

Already it's better than Modern.
>>
>>49521991
T.Cruise without the delver decks to abuse it could be okay. DTT would also forever be a staple in control.

Not having any good 1 mana cantrips also helps their cases i feel. The fetchlands and Jace would be the only things that could really push them over the top. Plus with NWO i guess we can "count on WotC" not to fuck things up for us. The hope here is to have it be no banlist because everything from here on out will be fixed and able to be checked.
>>
>>49521879
iS bURN VIABLE IN THIS FORMAT?
>>
>>49522397
no
>>
>>49522409
Garbage format
>>
>>49522303
Planeswalkers in the format:

Liliana of the Dark Realms
Ajani Steadfast
Chandra, Pyromaster
Jace, the Living Guildpact
Nissa, Worldwaker
Garruk, Apex Predator

Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker
Sorin, Solemn Visitor
Ugin, the Spirit Dragon
Narset Transcendent
Sarkhan Unbroken

Kytheon, Hero of Akros
Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
Liliana, Heretical Healer
Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh
Nissa, Vastwood Seer

Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
Kiora, Master of the Depths
Ob Nixilis Reignited
Chandra, Flamcaller
Nissa, Voice of Zendikar

Sorin, Grim Nemesis
Nahiri, the Harbinger
Jace, Unraveller of Secrets
Arlinn Kord
Tamiyo, Field Researcher
Liliana, the Last Hope

Saheeli Rai
Dovin Baan
Chandra, Torch of Defiance
Nissa, Vital Force
>>
>>49522397

It's the first format without burn. That instantly makes it better than modern (and unbanned ruse cruise). Now a literal retard won't win a tournament anymore.
>>
>>49522397

Atarka Red senpai.

Become Immense + Temur Battle Rage wins games
>>
>>49521879
sounds like trash to be honest
>>
>>49522397
Burn, less so, but that doesn't mean Atarka red won't be a thing.

Plus M15 had Lightning Strike, which is one up on standard.
>>
>>49521879
Mana fixing in the format:

M15/Origins - Enemy Pain Lands
Khans of Tarkir - Allied fetch lands
Battle for Zendikar - Allied Battle Lands
Shadows Over Innistrad - Allied Reveal Lands
Kaladesh - Enemy Fast Lands
>>
Burn is a thing in this format. It's just not full of broken shit.
>jeskai charm
>stoke the flames
>lightning strike
Just to name a few. Thank God there's no retarded shit like bolt.
>>
>>49522441

Playable ones:

Sorin, Solemn Visitor
Ugin, the Spirit Dragon
Kytheon, Hero of Akros
Jace, Vryn's Prodigy
Nissa, Vastwood Seer
Gideon, Ally of Zendikar
Ob Nixilis Reignited
Chandra, Flamcaller
Nissa, Voice of Zendikar
Sorin, Grim Nemesis
Jace, Unraveller of Secrets
Arlinn Kord (maybe)
Liliana, the Last Hope
Chandra, Torch of Defiance
Nissa, Vital Force
Dovin Baan

Others: jank.
>>
>>49522547
Don't forget that they can still play creature based mono red with Swiftspear, Titan's Strength, Dragon Fodder and Hordeling Outburst.

AND OH SWEET JESUS RABBLEMASTER.
>>
>>49522560
>mfw not even a new format makes Jace, the Living Guildpact playable.

I crai erry tiem
>>
File: 1430197565783.jpg (51KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
1430197565783.jpg
51KB, 375x523px
They should preemptively ban the fetch lands from the format, it'll keep 4 colour degeneracy low, stifle delve, and keep the format's price low.

>>49522547
Also Stoke the Flames + Thermo-Alchemist
>>
Is Mentor viable? I want to do Boros aggro
>>
>>49522592
The entire point of the format is that we don't need a ban list because nothing is so degenerate that it takes over.

Fetchlands are less valuable with battle lands and even though 4 colour goodstuff will be a deck, it'll be less good if a solid aggro deck picks up the pieces left after Rabblemaster left us.
>>
>>49522564
> I get to play Rabble Red again.

I knew holding onto that deck was a great idea. A Green splash for ACommand and I've already got a deck.
>>
>>49522648
A lack of 1/2 mana good spells are a bit of an issue for Mentor, but he's viable for sure if you're open to use stuff like Titan's Strength and Lightning Strike.
>>
OP Here, genuinely impressed by all the positive feedback about the format. I'm proud of you, /tg/.

The closest thing we could get to a combo deck is Jeskai Ascendency. No degenerate shit without Caryatid and Retraction Helix, but being able to play Jeskai Aggro with Stoke the flames and Goblin Rabblemaster seems pretty good to me.
>>
>>49522564

>tfw swiftspear, abbot, reveler in one deck
>temur battle rage is a card
>>
>>49522689
My first job is gonna be to try and have as close an Immitation to Modern Jund as possible.
>>
>>49521991
They don't have much reason to ban Cruise when there aren't cards like Gitaxian Probe, Serum Visions, and Sleight of Hand. You can't go through enough cards to power it out as easily as in other formats.
>>
>>49522722
>liliana the last hope
>grim flayer
>that weird mushroom that gets +3/+0 through delirium

well.
>>
>Poorfag: the format

kek this shit will last less than tiny leaders
>>
>>49522746
The real enabler was thought scour. It was a 1 mana spell that functioned like black lotus for delve
>>
>>49522693

>4 wooded foothills, 4 mire, 4 heath, 2-3 glade
>become immense
>goblin tokens + rabblebrah + stoke the flames

Anything good in r or g that has delirium? All I see is Traverse the ullenvwald, Moldgraf Scavenger is cute, and Scourge Wolf is eh.
>>
>>49522722
>>49522772
Sylvan advocate, too.

I've been brewing. The hardest cards to approximate are lightning bolt and dark confidant. Fiery Impulse or Wild Slash come close, but Bob will be a lot harder.

Thoughtsieze/ Inquisition too. But Duress/Despise might be close enough.
>>
Controlbois where you at? Esper Dragons? Get dig, cruise, Dragons, aside from scorn we have nu-manaleak, dispel. What else?
>>
>Siege Rhino VS CoCo, The Format
>>
>>49522836
Asylum Visitor is Budget Bob
>>
>>49522547
kcommand and acommand exist, 4 color burn with tcruise for gas and torrential gearhulk as a finisher could work. Its also nice that torrential is the same size as a fully grown goyf.
>>
>>49522877
>abzan company
>bant company
>jund company

I swear, every single deck will have company in their name.
>>
>>49522663
I'm pretty OK with that. Maybe splash blue for cantrips like Refocus and boosts like Slip Through Space
>>
>>49522836
First draft without an accurate landbase. It's too hard to copy your "Typical" modern Jund list as we don't have enough pieces. Delerium Jund on the other hand is not only viable but looks pretty fun.

Creatures
Grim Flayer x4
Khalitas, Traitor of Ghet x2
Sylvan Advocate x2
Tasigur, the Golden Fang x1
Nissa, Vastwood Seer x2
Dragonlord Atarka x1
Emrakul, the Promised End x1

Instant/Sorcery
Kolaghan's Command x2
Traverse the Ulvenwald x4
Lightning Strike x4
Murderous Cut x1
Fiery Impulse x2

Other Spells
Liliana, the Last Hope x4
Chandra, Torch of Defiance x1
Vessel of Nascency x4
>>
>>49521879
'we have too much stock of shit cards, buy them from us' the format.
>>
>>49522864
Unsubstantiate or silumgars scorn, modern is too much of a safe space for counterplay but esperdragons gets almost for real counterspell and baby remand
>>
>>49522648
Fuck that shit

Make Naya aggro
>>
>>49522896
But anon, a fully grown goyf would be 8/9 or something.
>>
>>49522959
>fully grown goyf would be 8/9
what
>>
>>49522976
Instant, sorcery, creature, land, planeswalker, artifact, enchantment and who could forget tribal :^)
>>
>>49522864
Could immitate Modern with Nahiri Jeskai but gun for Ulamog instead of Emrakul. not as devistating but still pretty viable.

>>49522955
I agree though. You have "Counterspell" pretty much if you play a dragon deck. May as well play a dragon deck.
>>
>>49522959
Ive never seen a game go long enough for a goyf to see tarfire and shit in the game. It usually should win out as a 5/6 but I see what youre saying.
>>
>>49522937
I think curbing out at 4 is best. Kalitas, Pia and Kiran, Thunderbreak Regeant. There's tons of game winning value.

Lots of removal, too. Grasp of darkness, Ultimate Price, Murderous Cut.

I think the Jund mindset of Good_Stuff.dec is the way to go. Just play pure value.
>>
File: TezzyNoted.png (148KB, 539x647px) Image search: [Google]
TezzyNoted.png
148KB, 539x647px
>>49523010
>Play against tron
>They cast All Is Dust
>All your stuff is gone
>Literally no way to win
>Draw for turn, palms sweating
>Tarmogoyf
>Check opponents graveyard
>"Tribal Sorcery"
>Cast your 2 mana 8/9 and laugh in the face of your puny Tron opponent.
>"Bad matchup my ass"
>They cast Karn
>Exile tarmogoyf
>mfw
>>
>>49522798

Gnarlwood Dryad
Ishkanah, Grafwidow
>>
>>49523059
Theres that new blue conter, but it looks like modern might be dying so who cares
>>
>>49523032
Noted. Think it would be a stretch to focus on the "Cast Emrakul" gameplan then, or do i just drop the delerium focus and gun for more value cards and removal?

>>49523064
Also noted for Jund. Damn, Ishkanah, you scary.
>>
>>49523086
I've been toying around with delirium. Outside of bad cards like Tormonds Crypt, it's kind of hard to reliably get It online.

I'll keep brewing, but it looks like value is the way to go.

Also, Junk is going to be really good. Stuff like Declaration in Stone and Rhino.
>>
>>49523140
If we up the curve to 5 we can try Gitrog Monster and Ishkanah. Also Filigree Familliar helps a lot with Delerium while being our Kitchen Finks of the format. (That hurts to say...)

Curve up to 7 and go for a full on control deck and we get Dragonlord Atarka and Garruk, Apex Predator.

The future is bright.
>>
I definitely think it's possible to play R/G, there's plenty of good cards to make it work.
>>
File: 173[1].jpg (70KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
173[1].jpg
70KB, 312x445px
How relevant?
>>
>>49523266
Holy shit i forgot about this cunt!

Change of plan guys, we have turn 1 mana ramp again! Also every new elf can be considered for Tribal i guess cause we still have Shaman of the Pack.
>>
The most important question is: why should people play this over Modern or Standard?

Modern has the power cards, Standard has the cheap durdlefest.
>>
RG Prowess/Burn Brew

4 Atarkha's Command
4 Built to Smash
4 Lightning Strike
4 Monastery Swiftspear
4 Temur Battlerage
2 Become Immense
1 Magmatic Chasm
4 Voltaic Brawler
3 Blossoming Defense
4 Larger than Life
3 Sanguinary Mage
2 Bedlam Reveler
2 Titanic Growth
4 Wooded Foothills
4 Bloodstained Mire
4 Cinder Glade
3 Forest
4 Mountain

R8
>>
>>49523376
standard rotates too fast now and modern's staples are rare as fuck, both problems cause them to be expensive as fuck. Read the article instead of crossposting you fuck this isnt reddit.
>>
>>49523376
People who thought they're sick 4 color deck that rotated and got BTFO when they brought it to modern.
I'd like to play Jeskai Black again, but I don't think this format will catch on.
>>
>>49523140

Don't forget Anguished Unmaking for more midrange goodness.
>>
>>49523421
It's not crosspossting, just a polite way of pointing out the format will die out fast due to the playerbase having better options. You have to be a literal poorfag to play this over Standard or Modern, and even if you were, Pauper is a lot cheaper and more powerful than Super Standard.
>>
The blowback from Modern players who won't switch is going to kill this format alone. And it's going to cannibalize your player base even further.

Keep in mind this is a Japanese store that fires at least eight events a day between all formats so they obviously have bodies to get this done.

I see many reasons why this format cannot be picked up in North America. It's why Tiny Leaders or Canadian Highlander are more or less isolated to their communities because everyone is having a hard enough time getting the more established formats to fire on their own.
>>
>>49523376
Because it can be fun? Do you need an excuse to play magic?

There is a chance for Wizards to adopt this format, or one very similar. They don't care about Legacy or Vintage, they've fucked Modern up quite a lot. They've been carefully choosing and designing cards in their standard sets to have what they think is the perfect power level, and there's nothing really degenerate about the decks you can make given these restrictions.

On top.of that, you get to play Magic. Not aggro the format, not durrdle the format, not masturbate all over the table the format.

Most of these decks feel like real, honest magic. They don't have a huge skill ceiling, but a high enough skill floor, they aren't brain dead. Most decks can be a healthy mix of aggro, Midrange, combo, and control. It seems like a really good format, to be honest.
>>
>>49523452
Isn't said store actually the best place to play paper Vintage? I remember reading that somewhere
>>
>>49523452
>Tiny Leaders or Canadian Highlander
I'll admit that i am not that well versed in every format of magic but i have never heard of these.
>>
>>49523376
>Modern has the power cards

>Ponder banned
>Preordain banned

go on and pull the other one. Modern's version of "power" is a joke.
>>
>>49523450
>he wants to spend 600 dollars on a standard deck that will rotate in half a year, 900+ dollars on a deck that will get its cornerstone card banned, or 3000+ to play legacy
Or you could skip the bullshit and play pauper, frontier, or edh.
>>
>>49523509
Tiny Leaders was kinda like EDH, but only 50 cards and nothing over 3 mana.
The only thing people played was Geist and Dark Depths combos.
It died in a month.
>>
>>49523515
And Legacy/Vintage costs an arm and a leg and probably a testicle to get into unless you proxy.

On top of that, they have next to no representation of players.

Meanwhile, Modern actually has a large standing of players and only costs an arm OR a leg to get into.
>>
>>49523535
You have to be a literal poorfag to not be able to spend a bit of money on your hobby. Just trade up and amass your collection, sell before rotation, etc. Go play Pauper if you're that buttblasted about things costing money.
>>
>>49523544
Formats shouldnt be limited by casting cost, its a lesson that all future format makes wont have to learn firsthand.
>>
>>49523544
I made Ezuri and never lost. So they at least have 3 decent decks
>>49523535
>pauper
>frontier
You mean the formats that literally no one plays or will play?

The shitters that want frontier would rather just play standard because the chances of finding someone else that will play it are slim to none
>>
>>49523416
You get the thumbs up from me.

>>49523376
Fun. The best reason. Plus new deck building restrictions encourages intelligent building.

>>49523564
Or... We could try out a new format and have fun without without people buttblasting it before a single card has been slung?
>>
>>49523487
Dude, this format is just extended ktk standard.
I actually liked that standard, but a lot of people didn't.
>>
>>49523416
So its literally R/G prowess from BFZ? K
>>
>>49523552
>And Legacy/Vintage costs an arm and a leg

So does Modern. You can build Legacy decks cheaper than modern decks, and the variety of of decks you can play is greater too.

Modern is just a worse version of Extended, created purely because it was intended to be cheaper. Now it's not cheap to play, its ban list is way too long, so it's time to replace it.
>>
>>49523587
If you've got brews, I'm all ears
>>
>>49523564
I spent about $200 to buy Affinity when I got into Modern. I feel like that was perfectly fine, no problem.

For someone to buy Affinity today, they're looking at about $700. You know, I'm a bit more leery of that price myself.
>>
>>49523572
.... I know. I loved that standard season and I'm just a huge fag who wants to play siege rhino again.
>>
>>49523509
Exactly. They showed up, make a stink for MAYBE a month as everyone wrote their "oh sweet, I don't have to think up a topic for an article this week" article. And they skulked back to the holes they crawled out from.

Not to put down the formats, people put time and thought into them, and they're popular at their respective stores. But the whole concept of homebrewed formats only works when you have huge stores to establish them.

But to export your fucking cancerous format to other smaller stores struggling to get anything outside of Standard to fire, well, that's doing nobody any favors. It's like convincing places to play Pauper, you're only going to pull it off if you have hundreds of established regular players who are legitimately bored of other formats. Otherwise, Pauper, French EDH, and a variety of other formats are just going to piss off people who don't get to play enough Standard or Limited as is.
>>
>>49523598
You can only build dredge for cheaper than modern
>>
>>49523452
>The blowback from Modern players who won't switch is going to kill this format alone.

This is what people were talking back during the modern inception about Legacy players. Modern had established base of ex-extended players tho.
>>
>>49523626
>It's like convincing places to play Pauper, you're only going to pull it off if you have hundreds of established regular players who are legitimately bored of other formats.
>hundreds of established players
>a small store

Uhhh
>>
>>49523564
The cheaper the format the more people who can play it. I dont care about cost to play but paper magic is dying because of the cost barrier. I have jumped straight over modern and spent the thousands to play a real format, but paper magic will die if the cuck format that is modern continues to be the common face of magic. You cant get kids to stop playing kitchen table and 30 dollar edh and play in fnms if they find out it costs 1000 bucks for a playset of goyfs. They can get an xbox and the newest call of duty and beat up the kids who play magic for far less.
>>
>>49523376
>Modern has the power cards

Like Ruse Cruse or Dig? Am I right?
>>
>>49522896
>His goyfs don't regularly become 6/7s
Poor deck building
>>
>>49523689
>frontier has a version of timetwister, ancestral recall and counterspell
>modern has goyf bolt and lotv
Who are the cucks aggro babies or control kiddies?
>>
>>49523675
>paper magic is dying
Let the doomsayers out!

You heard it here first, folks. Paper magic is dying!

Unless you show valid data for paper magic actually 'dying', I think Wizards is doing just fine, with every format included
>>
>>49523564

Play smash bros melee. huge playerbase, all sorts of local communities in every major city, cheap to free barrier of entry (you have an old Wii or can get one cheap, get a gamecube controller, hack that Wii and run 20xx on a usb stick)

Cheapest hobby I've ever seen. I spent 11 bucks on a Wii and controller at a garage sale and I've gotten limitless replay value out of it and have made loads of friends.
>>
My donut steel format I'm bored enough to playtest is Dumpster Delve, where no card can be worth more than $4.99. I'm still messing around with friends on this and I'm under absolutely no illusions that it will be the next big hit, it's just something that came up because I'm butt blasted at paper magic costs.

Also before you ask the cost is checked against the cheapest printing of your card in mint condition.
>>
>>49523598
>Modern is just a worse version of Extended, created purely because it was intended to be cheaper. Now it's not cheap to play, its ban list is way too long, so it's time to replace it.
Precisely.
Now, what makes you Frontier would somehow avoid the same fate?
>>
>>49523740
Look at the latest shareholder meeting you retard, mtgo broke the 50% mark. Digital magic is outselling paper magic.
>>
>>49523747
Donut Steel - new format.

MODERN IS DEAD! EVERYONE SELL OUT NOW! THE NEW BIG THING IS HERE
>>
>>49523634
You can also build Legacy Affinity for less. No Moths, after all.
>>
>>49523777
So 2 decks represent a bigger variety than modern?
>>
>>49523747
Inspecting each card for play-ability on price is about as impractical as taking each card out of a sleeve to see if it's fake.

You and your friends can have fun in any way you see it. Personally, I would rather have the restrictions be some metric you can easily see or limit through a Gatherer search.
>>
>>49523747

>That feel when you build a good deck with some pseudo viable jank, someone builds with it and it catches on and goes out of price range and you have to cut it

Gamble (I bought one for commander for 2 bux a few months before they shot up), disrupting shoal, etc
>>
File: 231423566.jpg (47KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
231423566.jpg
47KB, 500x500px
>>49523675
>paper magic is dying
Yeah ok lad
>>
>>49523790
Don't ask me, I never implied that. Just pointing out a fact.
>>
>>49523689
>Be frontier player
>Want to play Cruise
>Have to wait until turn 6 because no good yard filler except for fetchlands

Yeah sounds mighty powerful

>>49523734
The poorfags :^)
>>
>>49523740
In terms of sanctioned play I see no reason for any store to hold any events besides Standard and Limited. Online sales have just made it grossly inconvenient to support the inconsistent revenue generated by the non-Standard formats.

Sanctioned paper outside of Standard is going to fucking die. You can go online for your nostalgia formats, Wizards can make money there when stores can't. Kitchen table will always exist but nothing will change that.
>>
File: 1472905871690.jpg (29KB, 500x394px) Image search: [Google]
1472905871690.jpg
29KB, 500x394px
>>49523818
>I need to be spoonfed information and have dank reaction images pay attention to me
Educate yourself
>>
Frontier Jund Midrange

Creatures
Grim Flayer x4
Khalitas, Traitor of Ghet x2
Sylvan Advocate x4
Tasigur, the Golden Fang x1
Nissa, Vastwood Seer x2
Filigree Familliar x2
Ishkanah, Grafwidow x1

Instant/Sorcery
Kolaghan's Command x2
Lightning Strike x4
Fiery Impulse x2
Ultimate Price x2
Duress x4
Murderous Cut x1

Planeswalkers
Liliana, The Last Hope x4
Chandra, Torch of Defiance x1

Land
Bloodstained Mire x4
Wooded Foothills x4
Blooming Marsh x4
Smoldering Marsh x2
Cinder Glade x2
Llanowar Wastes x2
Swamp x3
Forest x2
Mountain x1
>>
>>49523842
>I can claim something without having to provide actual data
Wizards said they will be prohibitting any Frontier play or mention and will issue 1000$ fines to people that play it ;^)
>>
>>49523768

Nothing. Eventually Frontier would be replaced by NuFrontier after 10 or so years.

If you want to play a truly eternal format, you should have been playing Vintage/Legacy.
>>
What's the Artifact deck this format?
>>
>>49523868
Look up the wotc shareholder information, its public knowledge. They also announced a new digital product to bridge the gap between the steam duels game and mtgo. Hell even desolator magic has a video on it and hes fucking clueless when it comes to magic so what does that say about you?
>>
>>49523877
Kaladesh Colossus. Play puzzleknots until you can play your 10/10.
>>
>>49522502

this is going to be one of the big problems, imo. it's going to be really difficult to play a deck that relies on enemy color combinations with the 0 fixing you're getting in this format.
>>
>>49523768
There's not as much history to the cards. They can keep a more comfortable handle on the prices of things with reprints since nothing has spiraled out of control yet and nobody will complain as much as the "investors" squatting on older formats.
>>
>>49523877
UR Robots.

Ornithopter, Ensoul Artifact, Shrapnel Blast.
>>
>>49523877
Using Saheeli's -2 on Hangarback Walker
>>
Every zombie printed even gets in to the tribal zombies deck we have going on.

>Risen Executioner
>Relentless Dead
>Haunted Dead
>Gurmag Angler

It's beautiful :')
>>
>>49523775

>paper magic is dying
>what killed it?
>itself!

Show me numbers where paper magic is selling less overall.
>>
>>49523970
>spoonfeed my retarded ass because I cant look up shareholder information
>meanwhile ill play baby stocks with my childrens playing card game
>>
>>49523953
>tfw no Diregraf Ghoul
>No Messenger
>No Gravecrawler

I'll always miss you.
>>
>>49523970

It doesn't have to be selling less to be dying. If everything else is growing and it's not, it's still dying relative to the rest of the game and the majority of growth goes to non-physical stuff.

A stagnant economy is not a strong economy if everybody else is advancing. Ken didn't win Evo.
>>
Abzan CoCo shitbrew because I never play the colors but I digress list

4 Collected Company
1 Eldrazi Displacer
1 Warden of the First Tree
4 Sylvan Advocate
2 Undergrowth Champion
3 Knight of the White Orchid
2 Anafenza, Kin-Tree Spirit
2 Kytheon, Hero of Akros
4 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
3 Vryn Wingmare
3 Drana, Liberator of Malakir
2 Grim Haruspex
1 Mardu Strike Leader
2 Selfless Spirit
3 Anguished Unmaking
4 Wooded Foothills
3 Wooded Foothills
2 Blooming Marsh
1 Concealed Courtyard
1 Brushland
1 Llanowar Wastes
4 Canopy Vista
4 Forest
2 Plains
1 Swamp

Did what I could, same guy as >>49523416
>>
File: gottagofast.png (11KB, 297x479px) Image search: [Google]
gottagofast.png
11KB, 297x479px
Is it fast enough?
>>
>>49524019
We have Diregraf Colossus and Prized Amalgum. It's okay, we'll live.
>>
>>49524072
Seeing Treasure Cruise in that list makes me so happy.
>>
>>49524065
>Brushland

...We are gonna need to have a conversation, my friend.
>>
>>49524072

Maybe I should put there some Woodland Foothills just to fuel delve.
>>
>>49524147
Yeah You're right I just realized it's not in origins
I guess switch it with a caves of koilos
>>
>>49523544
They also had an incredibly aggressive banlist so it was only a matter of time before it was solved
>>
>>49523923
that does nothing.
>>
>>49524072
Needs fetches.
Also, it'll probably be bad.
>>
>>49524072
>>49524173

Replace the painlands with Foothills. You'll be fine.

also mfw we can play UW spirits with a more consistant mana base, and we can play U Devoid with any artifact creatures that come out and the 3 drop lord from BFZ
>>
>>49524065
Fairgrounds Warden from Kaladesh is your Fiend Hunter for Frontier.
>>
>>49523902
Yeah, I remember when I thought that about Modern. Back when Snaps was $30, Damnation was less than $20, and Swords of X and Y were $25 or less.
If Frontier takes off, the ridiculous inflation will happen, it will come out of nowhere, and Wizards still won't reprint anything that's too highly priced.
I watched it happen to Modern.
I watched it happen to Commander.
It will happen to whatever new format gains any iota of popularity.
>>
File: turn3hello.png (12KB, 306x479px) Image search: [Google]
turn3hello.png
12KB, 306x479px
Version 2 with alt wincon and more buffs. I wish there was more cantrips.
>>
RW Vehicle Meme deck, pretty much a standard deck but it's funny so r8

4 Depala, Pilot Exemplar
4 Gearshift Ace
3 Speedway Fanatic
3 Toolcraft Exemplar
4 Veteran Motorist
4 Fleetwheel Cruiser
4 Smuggler's Copter
2 Ballista Charger
2 Start Your Engines
3 Built to Smash
1 Ride Down
4 Temur Battle Rage
4 Inspiring Vantage
4 Battlefield Forge
4 Wooded Foothills
4 Windswept Heath
4 Mountain
2 Plains
>>
>>49524541
THIS IS WHAT WE PUT UP WITH IN A FIXED FORMAT. WE TAKE IT AND WE ARE HAPPY. Otherwise looks good dude.

>>49524547
Vehicles were surprisingly powerful at the Prerelease. Dunno how viable they'll be in constructed though.
>>
>>49523970
I can't give you any numbers.

But let's go anecdotal even though that doesn't matter. In recent years around half a dozen local stores I've heard for the first time that they really feel a pinch when kids go home from college. Magic doesn't fire as often and sales kinda go down from summer. Now, sales always go down in summer, that's typical, but this is the first time it hurts.

Magic is reaching this threshold where events are having difficulty firing 1/3 of the year because for some reason the only thing keeping it afloat is fucking college students who themselves are supremely poor. Force of Will seems to be surging while Magic attendance is down. The people who built these stores with their sales are old and don't come in to play and are spending less. Stores are losing sales because Wizards is tapping that sweet distribution money from Walmart and Gamespot. And the kids that you typically would hook with your paper crack are just getting hooked on the PS and XBox games and that's it.

And why would I want to show up at a store to draft only to be greeted by the wonderful sounds of discussion of a variety of idiotic ideas like rare drafting, unfair prize support, entry fees and all that useless moaning of poor people when I can just stay at home and masturbate between drafts that fire almost instantly.
>>
I've been testing my RG Prowess build and it's pretty terrifying, it was killing on turns 4-5
>>
>>49524824
Should really start playtesting myself. Gonna meet up with my mate who wants to retry Jeskai Black and will try out my Jund list >>49523844

The format looks fun if anything else and even if it doesn't catch on it's worth a couple of laughs
>>
>>49524438
I weep at the prison players put themselves in waiting for Wizards to reprint cards.

I don't get it. Modern is over five years old and Wizards hasn't moved more than an inch to make card availability a feasible thing. Idiot players take a year to put a single deck together because that's just how expensive things are.

Wizards is not going to help us like you say. I always had said they will learn their lesson from Modern Masters 1. They didn't. So fuck them.

I've got my cards. But I'm done.
>>
>>49524863
So far the CoCo deck I built has actually been stopping it, so maybe it's not too broken
The Vehicles deck is super bunk though, should have been obvious
>>
>>49524933
CoCo has been stopping Jeskai Black or Jund?
>>
>>49524965
RG Prowess, haven't tried jund yet
Although the more I play it, it seems like a closer matchup
>>
>>49524884
Why don't they reprint shit? Seems like it'd move a lot of product if they did a "Things that people want for their decks" collection
>>
Alright fellow Dragon Control players, how do we edit our lists for this new frontier?

Im shit at control but i rocked this deck in standard because i loved the cards. So far i cut back on spot removal and upped card draw/boardwipes. This format seems aggro centric from what people are posting and languish and foul-tongue seem to be must haves.
>>
>>49525012
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/how-wizards-manages-its-savings-account

This is the reason. It is a good reason. The problem is that this good reason means players are just going to fucking quit while waiting, which is fine, they'll sell their cards, unless they don't.
>>
I am somewhat shocked at the seeming hundreds of players who are brewing for this format that exists only because a store in Japan announced a large tournament. Because sure as fuck none of you are actually in Tokyo or near Tokyo right now.

Every Magic forum is buzzing about this.

Who the fuck is going to play this with you.
>>
>>49525290
It's just people who really want to bring back their standard decks before SoI.
I don't get why people think this will actually catch on.
>>
>>49525052
And then you have shit like the RL which is poison and actively killing the eternal formats because Wizards is afraid of chickenshit "investors" suing them for a knee-jerk promise they made in the game's infancy
>>
>>49525290

Because Modern is shit, and people are hoping this would be less shit.
>>
>>49525290
>Every Magic forum is buzzing about this.
>Who the fuck is going to play this with you.

So what you're saying is that a significant amount of players are already showing interest in the format and then you're asking where all the interest is?
>>
>>49525290
Starts small and grows, like the other formats did.

God forbid we have fun with an alternative format brewfest.
>>
>>49525364
That's fair.

The only players who can get off their dicks to organize anything on their own are kitchen table players. And they typically don't bother with forums or strict formats.

The bafflement is at committing so much time and energy to something that you're not even clear you have someone locally to play with. In fact, more often than not Magic players just talk about doing shit but never actually do it. Or, even more frequently they put in some initial interest and energy and fucking fall off the bandwagon, which has burned me several times.

And this, like all the other idiotic formats that have come around are probably going to stay in Tokyo.
>>
>>49525290

>modern banlist sees no changes
>wonder why there's hype for a new format

It's also because it fits in with Wotc's obvious plan to establish a post-modern.

>>49524989
Dr. Rockso because you use cocos a lot is my pick for best deck, but I'm rolling with Atarka Red. Esper Dragons is up there too.
>>
>>49525342
>>49525421
>>49525440
You people need to read this post.
>>49524438
>>
>>49525437
Part of the thing is here that people have somewhat been waiting for this to happen. There were expectations and suspicions of a format like Frontier for quite a while now. The people in Tokyo actually starting up with it didn't originate the idea, this isn't truly some "new" thing. All they've done is light a fuse on a payload that's been growing for some time now.

I've heard some casual chatter about the idea in my local game store at least as far back as the EMN release.
>>
>>49525460
Considering this is just KtK extended, I don't think prices will be much of an issue.
Most people still have their Khans fetches, Jaces, and other ridiculous cards.
If not, most of the cards plummeted in price. Soul Fire Grandmaster is $2.50 now.
The only people hyped for this are guys who can't afford Goyf and Lili.
>>
>>49525018
Gaining Fumigate from Kaladesh seems pretty sweet, better than End Hostilities anyways. Languish will always be there as our Damnation, making anything with 5 Toughness amazing in the Midrange matchups.

Blue Gearhulk getting a Dig Through Time seems pretty sweet too.
>>
>>49525515
Languish is going to be great considering how they've phased out regenerate in favor of indestructibility until end of turn.
>>
>>49525479
Look, I understand the failings of Modern. It's just a pain in the ass printing new cards against the best shit on the planet like Goyf, Path, Thoughtseize, and Bob. You can't up the power because that would ravage Standard.

And while Wizards has taken the first step by taking Modern off the Pro Tour schedule, they would have to go all the way and outright announce that Modern is dead to support Frontier. There is no way you can cannibalize your player base by dividing its attention between Standard, Modern, Commander, Frontier, and Limited. Stores can only do so much for this one product that is Magic. Having to give a shit about one more format is not worth any owner's time.

Nobody in their right mind wants this to happen without an official death of Modern, which by extension will be an official death of Legacy and Vintage. This is entirely to the benefit of bored players. While there will always be growing pains for Frontier, the growing pains won't go away unless the pains of Tarmogoyf and Black Lotus and everything associated with those cards is officially taken to the woodshed by Wizards.

And that's the problem. That's how Wizards deals with their problems, they let it fucking fester until we kill it ourselves out of natural forces. Nobody talks about the idea that Cube and Commander players, fucking casual formats that don't demand real cards, are leeching the life away from formats. I can't see the future, but what is going to happen if Wizards makes the dumb fucking move to put their blessing on this thing, is that they need to do the brave thing and put something out of its misery if only to cauterize the wounds and mitigate the bitching.

I'll wait. But to give this format life something has to die swiftly and decisively.
>>
>>49525656
>Nobody talks about the idea that Cube and Commander players, fucking casual formats that don't demand real cards, are leeching the life away from formats.
Is this really the case?
>>
>>49521879
OP please. "Eternal format" has a strict definition in mtg. In eternal formats, all cards are legal barring the ban list. Legacy and Vintage are eternal formats. Modern is not.
>>
>>49525738
Who knows, nobody's keeping any count of cards that are out there. Maybe it's not significant.

All I know is that I'm sitting at a GP and there are people with briefcases and backpacks filled to the brim with Commander decks that have real duals in them. Cubes with real duals in them, real Goyfs, real Snaps, real whatever.

Maybe I'm sitting at a store and see guys with backpacks full of Commander decks and all I can think of is how much of my house I can pay off with the contents of that backpack (inb4 I'm a thieving faggot, which I'm not). Or there are people who want to make the Commander Gauntlet, which is a deck in every fucking color and color pair and each one of those decks will run somewhere between 4-10 Duals and Fetches.

And I just know, that the moment they print 4-color Legendaries that aren't those garbage things from Ravnica that suddenly thousands of original duals and fetches are just going to disappear from the sanctioned constructed card pool as everyone scrambles to update their Commander "collection".

I saw a person with a real Tarmogoyf in their Multiplayer Commander deck the other day. It fucking killed me.
>>
>>49525858
>limited printing of sets
>reserved lists

I have a plan for you wizards
Make a new "booster" product. We'll call it... Hmmm... Eternal Blasters. The contents of this booster are cards from any set, at the same rarities (11c3u1r,1l,1marketing). Have a bias towards older sets in printing (something like for every standard sheet printed, print 3 sheets from the past 4 years, 6 sheets from the 3 years before that, 15 sheets of everything before that.
>>
>>49525858
>>49525656
>in which anon forgets that kitchen table is the most commonly played format
People can spend their money how they want

And the people who want competitive 4-color decks most likely already own duals
>>
>>49525977
>People can spend their money how they want
Yeah, and people can drive vehicles that give two miles per gallon. That's fucking great too. Obviously if the free market says it's okay to do we might as well be allowed to do it.

Fucking freedom man, that's what our country is all about. Let's just let the religious faggots not let us vaccinate their children. I welcome that; in this enlightened age when polio 2.0 rolls around we'll turn the witch hunt on them for once in retribution as we submit another generation to the iron lungs.

That may all sound like a strawman, and it probably is, but just because nobody is calling people out on their bullshit life practices doesn't make it any less bullshit.
>>
>>49526068
>being this mad about not owning staples
>>
>>49526096
It's kind of a bitch when the number of people who are interested in playing the format outnumber the pool of available staples.
>>
>>49526096
What I'm mad about is that I have put in some time to type up a decent post about the reality of the situation and the best you troglodytes can do is:
>free country innit?
>u mad?
>>
>>49526111
You could also blame Wizards and the fucktarded RL
>>
>>49526096

>owning modern staples

I'd rather own actual garbage. All of modern's staples are just watered down Legacy cards.

The fact that people pay a premium to play with Serum Visions, Path, and fucking Ghost Quarter makes me vomit.
>>
>>49522303
>>49521879
>Control
>Any removal worth is 3cmc or more
>Not a 4 cmc wrath
>God forbid a strictly good mana leak
>Not degenerated combos
>the only good library manipulation is dig trhough time

If i wanted midrange, i would play shardless bug, not a shit standard like set.

>>49523668
>This is what people were talking back during the modern inception about Legacy players. Modern had established base of ex-extended players tho.

And then Modern killed extended. so it ieither kill modern or standard
>>
>>49526214
There is no good god damn way this would kill Standard. It is their second largest played format
>>
>>49522560
I reckon temur sharkhan could see play since we got really good manabases and stuff and powerful dragons
>>
>>49526139
Well coming back with a strawman doesn't give you much ground to stand on

>How DARE people pay money for cards they aren't going to use in official tournaments!
So what? If you really think EDH is the problem with the lack of availability on certain cards, you should probably take a look at the vast majority of paper EDH decks compared with the highest-scoring ones for a given commander. Hint: they're almost all garbage.

You really want to see the problem? The fucking toxic orgy that is the "investors" who basically hold the eternal formats hostage.
>>
>>49526214
>>49526214
you get declaration in stone, and murderous cut. There's lots of conditional 2 mana removal, die young, ultimate price, grasp of darkness to name a few, even fiery impulse isn't awful
>counters
Yeah you don't get mana leak but scorn, dispel, negate, o command, clash of wills
>wraths
you got me there, only languish
>>
>>49526802
>only languish

Fumigate is looking pretty solid. If Sphinx's Revelation taught us anything, control decks love incidental life gain stapled to cards they already wanted to play.
>>
>>49526164
>premium

Serum Visions is like $4, and Ghost Quarter is barely more than $1.
>>
>>49527211

Did you know that Serum Visions was at one point worth $14?
>>
>>49527270

Good for them, still not seeing where people are paying a premium for them now.
>>
>>49523266
Best dork
>>
4 Thraben Inspector
4 Kytheon, Hero Of Akros
4 Mardu Woe-Reaper
4 Town Gossipmonger
4 Dragon Hunter
4 Expedition Envoy
4 Thalia's Lieutenant
4 Always Watching

what else?
>>
>>49522441
Liliana Vess was 2015, Dark Realms was 2014 you sopping wet cunt
>>
File: 165[1].jpg (69KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
165[1].jpg
69KB, 312x445px
>>49523266
If Mystic stands to be the only legitimate mana dork of the format, it'd probably be a good idea to pick these up now.
>>
>>49523080
Holly shit give the dyig format meme a rest would you
>>
Oh look they came up with a containment format for all the autistic magic players.
>>
>>49526802
A control deck made of conditional responses and bad boardwipes, that would work wonders of course (look pic), Mark Rosewater triumphed
>>
File: choza.png (253KB, 456x343px) Image search: [Google]
choza.png
253KB, 456x343px
>>49521879
>ITT: A format for modern players that don't know how to play against infect and get assblasted t2
At least memedern will loose all the crybabies,
>>
>>49527568
Rattleclaw would be up there and Mighty Morphin Temurge Rangers would be a legitimate archetype.
>>
File: 1320939871131.gif (173KB, 225x224px) Image search: [Google]
1320939871131.gif
173KB, 225x224px
>my stupid THS-KTK standard Frog Destroyer deck wouldn't be legal
0/10 it's shit
>>
>>49527464
Just build BW warriors from DTK standard
Use the new BW fastland instead of the scrylands
>>
>>49527881
I think it's for people who can't afford Goyf and Lili
>>
>>49527881
What if you're the one that assblasts retards with infect in modern and you come here to try to find equally degenerate shit to frustrate faggots with?
>>
This is the list I ended up sticking with, it's been able to consistently kill turns 4-5, sometimes as early as 3.
I cut reveler because it felt like a dead card too often. If it comes in, it'd replace the Cruisers and it'd be relegated to the board. Voltaic Brawler is an absolutely nutty card. The worst thing about this deck is that if the other person lands a good CoCo, you can just be totally fucked, especially in these annoying Abzan lists.
Other than that, it's a good deck IMO

Instant (22)

4x Atarka's Command

4x Become Immense
4x Blossoming Defense
4x Built to Smash
2x Lightning Strike
4x Temur Battle Rage

Land (19)

4x Bloodstained Mire
4x Cinder Glade
3x Forest
4x Mountain
4x Wooded Foothills

Creature (12)

4x Monastery Swiftspear
4x Sanguinary Mage
4x Voltaic Brawler

Sorcery (4)

4x Larger Than Life

Artifact (3)

3x Fleetwheel Cruiser
>>
>>49528321
The retards deserve it
>>
>>49528553
Good, because I'm the one playing >>49528399 and it's raping midrange shite
What good is CoCo when my monastery swiftspear swings for 6 with trample turn 2 and then swings for 18 with trample turn 3
>>
>>49528051
It's for people who are fucking bored of the other formats. And quite frankly, screw them.

Being bored of Magic such that you need to create a new format means you have played the others to death. And that is not the case for some 99% of players. Modern, Legacy, and Vintage combined number at least 50 solid decks and Standard offers rotating decks frequently and Limited changes every three months. If you get tired of all this you can draft old formats online.

The reason why people haven't played every format to death is because the card availability is the shits. The established formats have proven value and fun and I think people should be given the opportunity to play the to death. And they can't do that when card availability and prices are the shits. And creating a new format to create demand for all this unwanted stock of shit nobody currently wants is NOT the best solution to alleviate the problem; it doesn't even address it. Yes, people can't afford Goyfs and Lilianas, but the answer to that problem is making it so they can get a hold of those cards, not telling them to settle for this other crap.
>>
I think I like this idea, this new format.
Right now its essentially extended and its only gonna get bigger.
>>
>>49521879
Rhino Blue vs CoCo all day every day.
If they had the balls to accept all cards that have been printed in the new border we could have:
>Aristocrats
>Elfball
>Mono Black Control
>Jund Midrange
>Junk Midrange
>Mardu Midrange
>Nahiri Midrange
>Drake Blink Control
>Naya Sligh
>Zombie Tribal
>Eldrazi Aggro
>CoCo

But that would bee too much exitement for Standard babbies wanting to play Standard+.
>>
>>49529053
How are aristocrats without blood artist?
>>
>>49529164
Probably fine, since you have Zulaport Cutthroat which does much the same thing
>>
I've played probably 20 games in this format
It's super fucking boring, fuck CoCo
>>
>>49529242
>I've played probably 20 games in this format
How?
>fuck CoCo
Yep
>>
>>49529259
With friends on Xmage
Played a bunch of coco decks and they were the most consistent thing in the field
I don't want to be that faggot that asks for a banlist, but seriously fuck coco
>>
>>49528624
So what you're saying is that we should avoid playing with the real cards that are cheap, and instead continue buying chinaman fakes of Veil Lilly and co., because the real versions will never see a meaningful reprint?

I don't see this as the players attempting to make a new format out of boredom, so much as it is stores and second-hand dealers attempting to give non-Modern viable cards value after they rotate out of Standard. Which is the majority of cards.
WotC doesn't care because of the volume they've been printing them in since Avacyn Restored or so means supply/demand issues never arise and the price only falls once the set releases.
>>
>>49529272
Lists?
>>
>>49529575
Whatever's been posted in this thread + popular standard lists
>>
File: 1329742133398.gif (842KB, 350x260px) Image search: [Google]
1329742133398.gif
842KB, 350x260px
>>49529608
>tfw no Astral Slide
>>
>>49529053
We would also have Dank Depths Hexmage
I dunno about you but that don't sound like much fun.
>>
>>49522789
It's the japs, small communities are more likely to make shit work. EDH was started by judges in fucking alaska.
>>
>>49529962
>hareruya
>small community
nigga they could start their own tour with the amount of people they pull
>>
>>49523376
Modern has been cucked to death and standard does rotate way too fast nowadays. If you can't play every week, building a deck is a waste of money.
>>
>>49529962
Hareruya isn't a small community. They can do a dozen of events per day and it will still be jampacked with participants, even if those events are Legacy/Vintage.
>>
>>49523564
Billions of people have untold ammounts of fun with a $1 ball.
Magic is shooting itself in the foot, this past year has been all diminishing tournament turnouts because of the increase in prices to play Standard and Modern competitively.

Noobs aren't playing as much as they would if the game was cheaper and that's negatively affecting both competitive players who don't see a return in the form of big tournament prizes because there just aren't enough people to build big pools, and stores who are losing money not selling as much as they could if there just were more people coming into the store to play.

Masterworks may be the lifesaver or last nail for small stores. If the price of competitive decks doesn't go back down below $100 again but all the little shit casuals buy does become devalued to notthing by SCG opening hundreds of cases hunting for Masterworks, small LGS are not gonna be making that rent money anymore.
>>
>>49523634
>Dredge
>Affinity
>Burn
>Pox
Some Deathblade decks are cheaper than Jund too. And all of these decks do win at 5-rounder levels. None are gonna win a GP but there's only one Legacy GP anyway.
>>
>>49530303
Didn't dredge win some huge event a year ago?
Obviously that was a year ago but still, that was huge for the deck
>>
>>49529053
>Skullclamp in commander 2015
>Jitte in FTV Lore
>Stoneforge as GP Promo

Yeah alright cunt, the idea is that it will grow into a "Fixed" non rotatory format, not to essentially have Modern but with some of the contraversial banlist cards removed.
>>
>>49529164
In his hipothetical "all new border cards" format, Blood Artist and Carrion Feeder are legal from EMA, Gravecrawler and Doomed Traveler from DD:BvC, Bloodthrone Vampire from DD:ZvE and pretty much all the good removal and remova-on-a-stick from the CMD14 mono-black deck.
>>
>>49529805
With Surgical Extraction, Swords and FoW but no Tabernacle, Marit doesn't feel so Lage.
>>
>>49530331
Dredge could win anything if the player is lucky enough to not face RiP or LotV all day.
>>
>>49530557
I'm pretty sure they aren't including nonstandard sets.
>>
File: hitb_jay_8312.jpg (6KB, 160x129px) Image search: [Google]
hitb_jay_8312.jpg
6KB, 160x129px
>tiny leaders
>magic 93/94
>frontier

when are people going to stop falling for meme formats that only exist to sell obscure bulk rares
>>
>>49530668
Because we want to play something other than the stagnant T2 Infect Wins mess that is Modern, or the money pit that is Standard, without resorting to joke formats like like pauper.
>>
>>49530668
I'd rather spend $5 on a playset of junk rares than go through chinaman to get a set of goyfs 2bh

>attempting to shit on hope
Who hurt you, Anonymous?
>>
>>49530668
>look up 93/94
Oh, that looks interesting, maybe I'll-
>Errata:
>Chaos Orb (2)
>Artifact
>1, Tap: Choose a nontoken permanent on the battlefield. If Chaos Orb is on the battlefield, flip Chaos Orb onto the battlefield from a height of at least one foot. If Chaos Orb turns over completely at least once during the flip, and touches the chosen permanent, destroy that permanent. Then destroy Chaos Orb.
But why?
>>
>>49530713
Because otherwise the most optimal line of play is to spread all your permanents across the length of the entire table so that no two of them are close enough for Chaos Orb to touch together. The end result is that no matter what, you were only going to hit one permanent at best, so they might as well cut the bullshit.
>>
>>49522864
I used to run Ajani Steadfast in mine. Turn 5 Ojutai turn 6 Ajani give Ojutai first strike, vigilance, lifeleak with mana up for scorn or dig won me a lot of games.
>>
>>49530740
It takes out any random aspect, and just makes the card targeted removal.
>>
>>49530668
When Standard and Modern stop being shit or Dual Lands get a Legacy-competitive replacement.
Never.
>>
>>49530896
Yeah, which is pretty much what it was going to be when all of their cards are two feet apart.
>>
>>49528597
monastary swift spear for president
>>
>>49525656
>Nobody talks about the idea that Cube and Commander players, fucking casual formats that don't demand real cards, are leeching the life away from formats.

Maybe because it's a well known fact nobody can do anything about?
>>
File: bwjank.png (11KB, 301x483px) Image search: [Google]
bwjank.png
11KB, 301x483px
>>49527992

B/W jank passing through.
>>
>This entire Standard+ format garbage.

Wow i really didn't think it was possible for the community in this game to dissolve itself even further than it already had without entirely collapsing. You know i will be honest here, if you cannot afford shit like Lilly and Goyf, much less Dual Lands, then just dont fucking play MTG at all. Because if this train takes off the EXACT SAME FUCKING SHIT IS GOING TO HAPPEN ALL OVER AGAIN. Literally a format will develop, a meta will be established, card prices start to rise WOTC takes notice of this and puts those cards on the "Keep their prices fucking inflated" list to make sure their precious collectors and Star of David Games make money off of you retards, and then shit like Siege Rhino become $100 because of buyouts and market economics, then you people will be left with a format you are priced RIGHT out of ONCE AGAIN, but this time it has even fewer players than Modern did because the community has fractured itself to allow for this formats existence. Then the cycle will start again as someone else comes up with another "new format" to push their bulk shit out as gold and it fractures the player base YET AGAIN.

If you really want prices to go down demand reprints for WOTC with more than just fucking petitions and shit FFS people.
>>
Kinda want to brew UB zombies, but I doubt this will ever be played at my standard spike grognard city.
>>
>4x Bloodstained Mire
>4x Polluted Delta
>4x Smoldering Marsh
>4x Sunken Hollow
>1x Island
>3x Swamp
>2x Mountain
>4x Insolent Neonate
>4x Cathartic Reunion
>4x Tormenting Voice
>4x Haunted Dead
>4x Prized Amalgam
>4x Stitchwing Skaab
>4x Duress
>4x Despise
>4x Necromancer's Stockpile
>2x Gurmag Angler

Bet it could be done much better but at least a Dredge-like deck is possible.
>>
>>49532113
>>49532113
Except it won't.
Fucks like you will keep playing "modern".
>Frontier
Is a lower powerlevel than modern and, it's a turn 6+ format.
>>
>>49532812

Dunno if he's any good, but no scrapheap scoundrel?
>>
>>49532113
>if you cannot afford shit like Lilly and Goyf, much less Dual Lands, then just dont fucking play MTG at all
kys
>>
>>49533562
>Implying chinamen fakes are expensive
>>49533358
>Turn 6 format
If i want to durdle around so long i would play edh
>>
Literally "I want to keep playing CoCo but standard is rotating" format
>>
>>49523897
Fastlands and painlands are enough until the format expands a bit more.

GUYS THIS MEANS I GET TO PLAY TUTELAGE AGAIN.
>>
>>49533789
>>49533789
>>
>>49533789
Coco will be banned. Wotc has admitted it was a mistake.
>>
>Jalira Master Polymorphist is legal
>Madcap is legal

Gixis Gearhulks it is, cause fuck jeskai
>>
>>49525513
Speak for yourself anon, I own Legacy Tin Fins and everything from modern Jund save the fetchlands. I'm hopeful for this format because the last time I played standard was Khans block and I think there's a lot of potential for this to grow into something interesting. Power level might be a bit low but deck diversity shouldn't be an issue, and EVERYONE masterbating about coco forgets how little coco did on the protours when it was in rotation. Yes LSV piloted it to third in Eldritch Moon, but the deck gets picked apart by control which gets a boost from having dig and treasure cruise to find more gas. Likewise with rabblemaster we now have the potential for a good aggro deck to take hold.

We need to stop looking at this from a perspective of people being hyped for a low cost format, because more often than not the hype is coming from something new finally being thrown our way.
>>
>>49532113
>>This entire Standard+ format garbage.

As someone who primarily plays Legacy, it makes me laugh to see Modern players act like their format was anything but that in the beginning.
>>
>>49533789
>Literally "I want to keep playing CoCo but standard is rotating" formatrotating"
/thread
/format
>>
Wizards should just do a print run of a random past block every year for people to do throwback drafts and sealed with.
>>
>>49534420
B-b-b-but th-the c-collectors v-v-value!
>>
So Mardu will be top tier in this format. A large part of my list is already legal.
>>
>>49534431
Do it in the new frame with shitty new art for chase rares.
>>
>>49534431
they could do a mini masterpiece series with each block of cards only from that block. That'll have the collectors creaming.
>>
>>49534298
>As someone who primarily plays Legacy
As someone who primarly plays vintage, i don't understand why legacy players give such importance to that format when is a watered down and powerless Vintage
>>
>>49534538

>as someone who primarily plays vintage

How's the hunt for other players going, friendo?
>>
hypothetically ignoring the reserve list and whatnot if the power 9 were printed in the masterpiece series what would happen? supply would grow immensely even a small printing like the masterpiece series but the proxy policy of most vintage tournaments would also probably vanish and demand would skyrocket as well. Vintage would probably become more popular and grow demand even further and it doesn't seem entirely unlikely that the supply vs demand is even more lopsided than it was before the printing. Keep in mind the odds of getting any specific masterpiece in kaladesh for instance is 1 in 4320 packs.
>>
>>49534590
Pls, vintage event every week on my lgs, poorfag
And i'm not a sperg that complains to chinamen fakes
>>
>>49534610
How many proxies allowed?
>>
>>49534610

And I bet your dad works at nintendo, too.
>>
>>49534610
15 if they are a land with aname
All you want if they are chinese
>>
>>49534631
Was for>>49534621

>>49534625
>All my lgs are full of poorfags
Enjoy your watered down vintage, you will never know what real magic is
>>
>>49534631
>15 proxies
>calls legacy players poorfags
>>
>>49534654
At least we can play it and don't sperg about muh investments
>>
>tfw I might be able to play ascendancy tokens again
It might still be shit because of virulent plague but the thought of looping stoke the flames again excites me
>>
>>49534665
My LGS only has Vintage every few months or so, 10 proxies, printer proxies only. It's fantastic, but if you're getting 15 proxies, you can't really call these fags poor for not playing, just boring.
>>
>>49522502
>allied battle lands
Fuck that name. It's retarded. It's like calling the fastlands scarslands because they're originally from scars of mirrodin.
>>
This shit is gonna die faster than Tiny Leaders.
>>
>>49535166
Tiny leaders was legacy lite, so I'm not surprised.
>>
>>49535114
It's better than Tangolands.
>>
>>49535166
Tiny Leaders is the only solved format. This bullshit at least can have variation in the decks.
>>
>>49535383
>This bullshit at least can have variation in the decks.
CoCo (insert variation name here) deck
>>
>>49521879
Frontier is already an obscure MTG game type, though.

>Get 2-4 normal decks
>Remove all the lands, note which lands came from where, and shuffle all lands together into deck
>Place the land cards facedown in a rectangular grid.
>Each player picks an edge of the grid
>Each player gets a 1/1 colourless creature
>Game then starts
>Enchantments, non-creature artifacts, instants and sorceries all work as normal.
>Each player has a zone just off their side of the grid, which all creatures start in and have to move out of.
>Players can only be attacked by creatures adjacent to that zone, and creatures can only attack adjacent creatures
>Creatures can move 1 space per turn, in either the up, left, right, or down directions.
>When a creature moves onto a face down land, it is turned up.
>Creatures can turn adjacent lands face up instead of moving
>Creatures get +1/+1 if the land they're on is one of their colours, and +1/+1 for each adjacent land that's one of their colours
>Lands can only be tapped for mana when there is a creature on them or adjacent to them.

That's the basic rules.
>>
File: 00000blob.jpg (14KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
00000blob.jpg
14KB, 480x360px
>mfw Gobblin Rabblemaster is viable again
>>
>>49535405
Yup
>>
>>49535405
As much as i'm hoping this format doesn't have a banlist in the long term, if it did then CoCo would be the first thing hit.
>>
>>49535448
>not Siege Rhino
>>
>>49535497
Siege Rhino was never a "Broken" card. a 4/5 with Trample that drains for 3 on entry is powerful, but Abzan was nowhere near as dominant with Rhino as Bant Company has been since Oath of the Gatewatch gave us Reflector Mage. Spell Queller was just the nail in the coffin.
>>
>>49535212
This. Literally rebbit-tier.
>>
What the fuck!? Are you guys actually taking this shit seriously? What the hell makes you think this will ever become a thing beyond a meme? Wizards didn't ever show official support. It's literally made up out of the blue by some japs.

Even if by some miracle this format becomes official, the card pool and depth of the format is severely lacking.
>>
>>49535735
It's just some store trying to move dead stocks.
Everyone would've called it shit if it was SCG who organize it.
>>
>>49535735
It's fun to think and brew under some new constraints, weirdly enough. Plus trying something out that's got Hareruya throwing a tournament for it and theory brewing for it on the off chance it becomes a thing is also kinda fun.

Plus, like Modern, the card pool can only grow, and new archetypes can only appear slowly but surely.
>>
>>49535212
That's like saying cancer is better than aids.
>>
>>49535735
>It's literally made up out of the blue by some japs.

That's where you're wrong, and that's why people are taking it seriously. The idea of this format has been discussed for quite some time now, it was an extremely obvious direction to go in, not some completely off the wall idea that is only suddenly coming up.

It's basically the same thing that spawned Modern, so people believe it can happen again.
>>
>>49535868
Well tough shit, your options are cancer or aids. If there were a better catchy nickname, it would already be in use.
>>
>>49535766
This format is reminding me of tiny leaders more and more.
>>
>>49523452
>Canadian Highlander
Just looked it up, sounds fantastic.
>>
This is a good idea, I like new formats. But I still like playing with SOME powerful cards, both for nostalgia and to actually feel different than Standard. This seems like Standard from the past couple years, and I avoided it until OGW and SoI, so I'm not a huge fan. Maybe something more in between Standard and Modern, starting from Loren or so (planeswalkers just printed, still many of the modern staples but without Goyf and a few other weird cards for combo). I play Tron and Grixis Delver, and although it would kill Tron for that format, I could live with still playing ramp and a slightly nerfed card pool for Delver. Plus that's when I started, so nostalgia :^)
>>
>>49536066
Lorwyn, fucking auto correct
>>
>>49535957
Tiny Leaders was an expensive format which was solved quickly without much of a chance of ever changing. This would be a dirt cheap format that will grow over time. It would be a format where each new set that comes out stands to cause significant changes to the meta.

The things that killed Tiny Leaders aren't looking to be significant problems for this format.
>>
>>49536066
The problem starting anywhere else is that you let the format dominating cards into the format really early on.

>Theros block gives us Thoughtseize and Courser, GBx becomes the dominant archetype.
>RTR block gives us Shock Lands, suddenly we're just playing a watered down Modern with Deathrite Shaman being legal.
>Innistrad block takes us back to Liliana of the Veil, and suddenly we have 90% of modern Jund.
>Scars of mirrodin block throws Allied fast lands into the format. Without a reprint, those cunts are already stupidly expensive for what they are. Also Mox Opal, although the bulk of the affinity tools are missing.
>Zendikar block gets us back to our 10 fetch 10 shock modern mana base, plus Emrakul/Nahiri is inserted into the format. Oh and without a banlist, suddenly we have JTMS, SFM and Eye of Ugin running about as well.
>A step back takes us to Alara Block. At least Beebee, Terminate and Maelstrom Pulse come back, right my Jund Lads?
>Lorwyn block. Welcome back Bitterblossom, Faeries and Merfolk with your new Jace, the Mind Sculptor to play with.
>Coldsnap - Hey, the storm guys get Rite of Flame! That's something i guess!
>Time Spiral block - Welcome back Goyf. We hardly knew ye.
>Kamigawa block - At this point you're playing Modern with everything but Mirrodin block, Jitte is hanging out with Stoneforge and people are just asking "Why didn't we start with Mirrodin block anyway?"
Mirrodin block - And now you're literally just playing No-ban-list Modern.
>>
>>49536254
>Also Mox Opal, although the bulk of the affinity tools are missing.

Scars block would give you a passable Affinity-lite.

>Darksteel Citadel and Ornithopter in M15
>Inkmoth, Memnite, Mox Opal, Etched Champion, Signal Pest, Vault Skirge, Galvanic Blast in Scars
>Springleaf Drum in Theros

You're missing some of the major power cards, but you still have a lot of the framework.
>>
>>49536254
>he thinks coco, rally and babyjace isn't cancer inducing
>>
>>49536314
Almost forgot about Infect probably being playable as well with Inkmoth, Glistener Elf and Agent in the format. Although you get none of the bigger pump spells you still have Become Immense. Stuff like Giant Growth and the new Hexproof pump from Kaladesh would probably still make the deck somewhat viable.
>>
>>49536347
Cancer they may be but they were a managable cancer because we had enough tools to keep them in check. The only exception to that rule is CoCo, and if like some people suggest it ends up being too good for modern, of course it could be considered for a banlist in Frontier if it ends up being too dominant.

Spell Queller and Sylvan Advocate are less scary with Lightning Strike and Murderous Cut in the format, i think. Reflector mage is more of a nuisence than anything else.
>>
>tfw all the booty bothered modern players.

Why so mad?
>>
>>49536166
The comparrison to tiny leaders was the market manipulation. I wouldn't be surprised if one of the goals of the event was for them to move old standard staples/chase rares.
>>
>>49528624
Modern has like, three different decks. Just linear aggro variants don't count as separate experiences
>>
>>49536403
please keep playing with me I dont want to be alone like the legacy and vintage people
>>
>90% of the thread is people shit talking the format and people schilling the format
>barely any actual discussion on decks and stradegies

Great first thread
>>
>>49536389
>Lightning strike
>Murderous cut
>Those are the format premiere removal
No, thanks
>>
>>49536496
4chan is a bad place to deckbuild, having to post links to external sites is a symptom of this aspect. 4chan is much better at discussion and memes
>>
>>49536458
t. non moder player
>>
>>49536458
>Modern has like, three different decks.
>Abzan
>Ad Nauseam
>Affinity
>Burn
>Delver
>Dredge
>Eldrazi
>Jeskai Control
>Jund
>Infect
>Living End
>Merfolk
>Titanshift
>Tron
>Valakut Breach
>Zooicide

Alright, narrow it down to three decks.
>>
>>49532005
>soldiers in warrior deck
>no return to the ranks
Its like you want to lose
>>
>>49536403
>>49536477
Please do go on, I have some Jaces and Rhinos I couldn't unload in time. Don't mind me, really :^)

Plus Modern gets cleansed of scrubs who sorely needed to get gud because they would cry for bans at every deck that appeared twice or more in a single top8
>>
>>49535212
I thought we all agreed they were called Cuck Lands
>>
>>49536635
That's bottom of the barrel shitposting.
>>
>>49521879
I think even Non RL legacy would be better than that
>>
OP Here, is there enough interest in actually discussing brews and potential to crack open a new thread, or is it just gonna devolve back into complaining about Modern again?
>>
>>49536817
Go right ahead. Poorfag containment threads are pretty nice.
>>
>>49537006
All well and good until the "MODERN IS THE GREATEST FORMAT RABBLE RABBLE CAN'T EVEN AFFORD LILI AND GOYFS RABBLE RABBLE" crowd turn up and do nothing but talk shit about something that's supposed to be a fun new idea.
>>
>>49537037
>coco all day every day
>fun

K sure.
>>
>>49537083
>>49537083

NEW THREAD

>>49537083
>>49537083
>>
>>49536547
delver, infect and harbinger with honorable mentions to titanshift and tron
>>
>>49535420
Goblin Rabblemaster is Legacy playable.
>>
>>49537179
That's bullshit.
>>
>>49536573

>all the warriors are humans
>Thalia's buffs humans

It's like you hate value. Even modern ally decks play champion of the parish despite it being nothing like an ally.
Thread posts: 323
Thread images: 16

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.