[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Classless Fantasy

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 9

File: dissidia-bartz.png (336KB, 434x794px) Image search: [Google]
dissidia-bartz.png
336KB, 434x794px
What are some games that can do Dnd like fantasy and don't use Classes?

I am going to suggest GURPS, because someone is going to anyway
>>
>>49508537
D6 Fantasy
>>
>>49508537
Any system that doesn't use a class system can be used for fantasy. Setting isn't mechanics.

If you want to use Shadowrun to host a low-fantasy prehistoric sword-and-sorcery campaign then go for it.
>>
>>49508555
what is your experience with D6 fantasy?
>>
Savage Worlds

GURPS might not be your thing because it's far more lethal. You can't get more than 15 or so hp like in D&D. Savage Worlds is similar but you start out more durable.
>>
>>49508537
The Dark Eye....
No i'm just joking - unless you are german and a major rules autist it will kill you.
>>
>>49508537
HeroQuest
>>
Fantasy Hero
>>
File: Griffith.jpg (104KB, 610x763px) Image search: [Google]
Griffith.jpg
104KB, 610x763px
>>49508813
Not really, you can get as much HP as you want as long as the GM allows it.

GURPS is pretty lethal by default, just because it tends toward simulationism and real life combat is pretty lethal, but GURPS is also customizeable as hell.

The main reason GURPS might not be somebody's thing is because they don't have the time to invest in making the game they want from the toolkit GURPS gives them.
>>
>>49508813
Savage world is great for big group one shots, i did about 5 combats with 7 players in about 4 hours
>>
>>49509228
I usually prefer Savage World to Gurps because i find it much easier to eye what rulesets I'm gonna need for my game and how to balance them.

Gurps can drown you in its sea of supplement rules while they often aren't to compatible with each other.
>>
File: DR3.1.1_small.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
DR3.1.1_small.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>49508537
>>
Warhammer hasn't been mentioned, I see, so I will mention that.

1st edition had classes on the sheet, but they only influenced what chart you rolled for your background. Once you got going, the system instead used careers, that is, jobs, such as beggar, counterfeiter, trader, militiaman, ratcatcher...
2nd edition removed it, since it literally did nothing.
>>
File: TOtlrSN.gif (121KB, 500x511px) Image search: [Google]
TOtlrSN.gif
121KB, 500x511px
>>49509228
I dislike GURPS because it only uses D6s and that feels wrong.
>>
File: headtiltnie.jpg (650KB, 1680x1050px) Image search: [Google]
headtiltnie.jpg
650KB, 1680x1050px
>>49509309
You can prefer whatever system you like and that's fine, but, what do you mean by not compatible? I haven't had any compatibility issues with GURPS and I've been into it for a few years.

And it really isn't that hard to pick out the rules you want, obviously you won't be looking at spaceships for your generic fantasy game, just fantasy, magic and low tech stuff. And you can just skim over the relevant books.
>>
>>49509434
Are you cubephobic or do you just want a wider variety of colorful shapes on the table?
>>
Check out Symbaroum. Characters are built by selecting abilities piecemeal rather than following class structures.
>>
>>49508537
What exactly do you mean by "DnD-like"? Over the years DnD generated a very specific approach to fantasy, and I have never seen other systems get quite the same result. DnD is the ultimate in providing DnD-like fantasy.

If you just want fantasy, Fate is pretty great.
>>
>>49509780
can you give me an example of fate combat?
>>
>>49508537
Well Dungeons the Dragoning has classes, but they're something you can switch in and out of rather than locking you down, allowing you to learn magic with any character and the like.
>>
File: nopegrevling.gif (5MB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
nopegrevling.gif
5MB, 480x360px
>>49509697
>mfw your pic
>>
>>49509889
Here's an official example (technically FAE, which is like FATE but a bit simpler):

http://www.evilhat.com/home/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Olaf-Vs-The-Orcs.pdf

(I've tried to send this message for like an hour now, god fucking damn)
>>
>>49509434
>I dislike GURPS because it only uses D6s and that feels wrong
Is the fact its not linear?

I have this problem to, everytime I will convert some idea to gurps "this happens 30% of the time, while other happens 45% of the time and the other 25% of the time" or some stuff like that, I have to fucking convert this to 3d6 math.
And if it has bonus it fucks with everything.
>>
>>49508537
Mythras, especially with the classic fantasy supplement - though Classic Fantasy adds "classes" but more in the specialization sense like warhammer fantasy or FFG Star Wars.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.