[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/wbg/ - Worldbuilding General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 314
Thread images: 65

File: 1468704220195.jpg (330KB, 1480x730px) Image search: [Google]
1468704220195.jpg
330KB, 1480x730px
No thread so I made one edition

On designing cultures:
http://www.frathwiki.com/Dr._Zahir%27s_Ethnographical_Questionnaire

Random name/terrain/stat generators:
http://donjon.bin.sh/

Mapmaking tutorials:
http://www.cartographersguild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48

Free HTML5-based mapmaking toolset:
www.inkarnate.com

Random Magic Resources/Possible Inspiration:
http://www.darkshire.net/jhkim/rpg/magic/antiscience.html
http://www.buddhas-online.com/mudras.html
http://sacred-texts.com/index.htm

Conlanging:
http://www.zompist.com/resources/

Random (but useful) Links:
http://futurewarstories.blogspot.ca/
http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/
http://military-sf.com/
http://fantasynamegenerators.com/
http://donjon.bin.sh/
http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/index.html
http://kennethjorgensen.com/worldbuilding/resources

/wbg/ discord: https://discord.gg/K3EzE
>>
>Are there worlds separate from the mainland in your setting? Moons and planets, different dimensions, dream worlds?

>Do the inhabitants of these planes originate there, or did they come there from somewhere else?

>How does someone travel between worlds?

>How much contact and influence do outworlders have on the mainland?
>>
What are some advancements in ballistic weapon can be conceivably made in the future? There's self-propelling bullets, like gyrojet (or bolters). There's obviously gauss/railguns.

Anything else interesting for the future personal weapon?
>>
>>49491089
>Are there worlds separate from the mainland in your setting? Moons and planets, different dimensions, dream worlds?
Not anymore. The world-spanning Empire from long ago had small colonies on the nearest and largest moon, but it remained dependent on supply shipments. When the Empire collapsed, the few living in those colonies had no means of keeping themselves alive and starved.
With a very powerful engine. The technology to create runestones, the most powerful known energy source, has been lost.
They still have their role in fables, and occasionally there'll be a play or a novel about them, but nothing direct, 'cause they all died.

>>49492007
You could do Mass Effect-style firearms. High-tech railguns with built-in computers to account for wind, distance drop, etc. and adjust course accordingly.
>>
>>49492823
>You could do Mass Effect-style firearms. High-tech railguns with built-in computers to account for wind, distance drop, etc. and adjust course accordingly.
Targeting computers is not really what I was asking.
>>
>>49492881
Well what did you mean, then?
>>
>>49492901
I meant specifically futuristic means of propelling the projectile.
>>
>>49492957
that depends on how you want to propel the bullet.

Typical controlled explosion like with regular gunpowder? Something else?
>>
>>49493465
I want something fancier than explosions inside the ammo propelling pieces of metal. Like what I originally mentioned.
>>
>>49492957
The future of guns in non-projectile based. Laser/maser/phaser/sonar/etc.

I can't wait till masers are mainstream (you can totally build one yourself today with a broken microwave)
>>
A while ago I made a thread about wanting to create a setting with both japanese and greek influence.

After getting sidetracked for a while, I recently started on the project again, beginning with the gods.

Lady Sun (amaterasu expy) and Lord Moon with an army of stars loyal to them.

Gods (basically protogenoi) for Sky, Earth and Ocean and one poor schmuck for the underworld.

Then five dodekatheon stand ins based on the 5 chinese elements, follewed by an army of japanese katana wielding angels, dubbed tenshi (I want them to actually serve the amaterasu expy as messengers)

Then a bunch of animated objects seen as small gods, a forge god based on those indian superweapons, a typhon expy in charge of natural disaters and gods for all the other races, from oni and kitsune to the minotaur.

The only other idea I had, before I start to work on the individual races, where hoplites wielding naginatas instead of spears.

An anon suggested the sake and saganaki back then, so that´s what I call the project now.

Just wanted to write this down and hear a few opinions on this still scarce information before I continue. Thanks anyway.
>>
>>49492007
Well, you could reasonable assume there's more advancements put to heat management. I'm not much of a gun guy but can't you still melt a barrel of an LMG by, ya know, just firing it for a couple hundred rounds?

I recall reading that on military-sf.com/ from the OP
There are a decent amount of hypothetics on that site
>>
>>49493821
Both Greek and Japanese mythologies have some notion of patron deities for each city-state and each town, respectively. If those are your influences, it'd be odd not to have them in your pantheon.
>>
>>49493920
You mean like the situation with ares and athena, right? Don´t know about the japanese, but I´ll look into that.

But do I have to model the city states after the gods or the gods after the city states?
>>
>>49493995
Neither needs to be modeled after the other, necessarily. It's more just that most towns would have a god or goddess whom they believe specifically protects them above other cities.

In terms of Shinto, there are a couple different types of shrine; the one relevant to what I'm saying housed a local god (or aspect of the Buddha in the form of a local god). It's called an ubusuna or gongen.
>>
>>49491047
The Discord link is invalid.
>>
Anyone got some pdfs about medieval weapons/warfare?
>>
>>49493589
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combustion_light-gas_gun
>>
>>49491089
The basis of my setting is that there are other worlds/dimensions/etc., and the earth is being invaded from them.
>Do the inhabitants of these planes originate there, or did they come there from somewhere else?
Unknown. The Infernal Legions obviously are not native, as they are made up of varying different creatures. The Celestial Host may be, but are not willing to give details to the humans about themselves.
Tearing holes in reality. Most are temporary, closing long enough after forming to allow just enough time to traverse it. Though there are larger ones that show no sign of closing, but they may be being held open artificial, since they are the main invasion points for the Infernal Legions.
The earth is being invaded, and the invaders are winning.
>>
>>49491089
>>Are there worlds separate from the mainland in your setting? Moons and planets, different dimensions, dream worlds?
The universe is vast, most of the setting's locales are within a single galaxy, isolated to two galactic arms. A large majority of extra dimensionals live in their own plane.

>>Do the inhabitants of these planes originate there, or did they come there from somewhere else?
Came from a different continuum altogether, their number grows as they continue to spread their influence.

>>How does someone travel between worlds?
For the native inhabitants of the galaxy travel between planets is limited by technology. For the native inhabitants of the other plane, the plane's intrusive influence on the universe bridges connections allowing those inhabitants to move to and from. The process for establishing the bridges permanently damages the fabric of space around it, and is therefore used sparingly.

>>How much contact and influence do outworlders have on the mainland?
Contact varies, but most of the galaxy's native inhabitants are used as test subjects or in a similar fashion to zoo animals by the outworlders.
>>
>>49493591
Sonic weapons are painfully under-appreciated.
>>
>>49494528

The Historical Wargames thread maintains a substantial library of such things. Here's a direct link to their Medieval section:

https://www.mediafire.com/folder/81ck8x600cas4/Medieval
>>
>>49491047
Other planets and so forth do exist, but the technology to travel in space does not exist, so it's not something I've bothered to develop. Other dimensions definitely play a role, though. There are two main dimensions aside from the material world; the Etheric plane and the Chthonic plane. The first of the two is composed of pure formless energy, and has various uses in magic. The other is a lightless realm notable for entropy working in reverse; ordered systems form spontaneously despite the absence of life. It's an infinite expanse of machines and architecture that has arisen over billions of years in accordance with its own physical laws.

There is no life in either of the other dimensions, though the Etheric plane was home to a Demiurge-style deity countless ages ago who ultimately created the material world.

With extreme difficulty. There is only one person alive (well, sorta alive) today who is known to have visited another dimension and returned. He spent years researching occult geometry and metaphysics to calculate the exact time and location of a near-convergence of the planes, and spent a fortune to build a doorway that was open to the Cthonic plane for only a few seconds. The fact that he was eventually able to make it back was mostly a matter of luck.

That fellow mentioned above brought a bit of the substance of the beyond back with him when he returned. It appears as a fluid that can variously serve as an inexhaustible fuel source, a chemical weapon, or a means of reanimating corpses. It also converts any other fluid into itself when it reaches a concentration over 50%. Suffice to say, the world is getting strange lately.
>>
>>49491089

Sure they're are other planets but I don't really flesh them out. No other planes that the world knows of. No dreamworlds.

The four moons however. Dresh the red moon, Akos the ringed moon, Vorgos the pale star, and finally Balt the blue gem

All the inhabitants of the world were created by the gods or came about naturally.

They don't Sure magic exists but nothing powerful enough to travel between worlds

None. Balt has life. Hell it's an ocean world but the people on the main planet know nothing of the people or races on balt.
>>
File: 1451939178755.jpg (87KB, 510x660px) Image search: [Google]
1451939178755.jpg
87KB, 510x660px
>>49493589
Use the power of love.
>>
>>49494450
What is the purpose of it, anyway?
>>
File: 3.jpg (500KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
500KB, 1600x1200px
>>49492007
Electrothermal-Chemical guns (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrothermal-chemical_technology)
Guided bullets
Stacked ammunition guns
2 stage chemrails/chemical boosted magnetic weaponry

You can combine a few of those as well, ie. gyrojet stacked ammunition.
>>
>>49500171
I always liked the mass effect gun system.

Each gun has a micro computer that estimates the mass needed for a perfect shot, shaves it off of a ceramic block, and then launches it with
>mass effect fields
>>
File: laser turret.jpg (474KB, 2048x1736px) Image search: [Google]
laser turret.jpg
474KB, 2048x1736px
>>49500320
Was it ever explained how the special ammo system worked? It seems that the pellets the guns fire could just magically be infused with 'fire' or 'acid' without much justification.

I always thought it was silly that the main defence in Mass Effect could be completely bypassed by laser rifles yet no one uses them because they are apparently 'to advanced', despite having literal gravity controlling magic space rocks and the energy to power fleets of space ships.
>>
>>49500440
MASS
EFFECT
FIELDS
>>
File: FOUR.jpg (134KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
FOUR.jpg
134KB, 500x500px
>>49500482
>>
File: Lizard Burglar.png (88KB, 267x508px) Image search: [Google]
Lizard Burglar.png
88KB, 267x508px
So I know a lot of campaigns and settings out there have Lizard men/lizard folk in them, and mine is no exception, but I wanted mine to play to the strengths of the trope without being too boring or too strange.

In short; how do these guys sound for lizardmen?
>Herpetons; average height of 7.5 feet tall
>Poisonous bite that slows the body and mind of enemies
>Society is fiercely hierarchical and uses a caste system
>Lizard people are hatched from fertilized eggs, but have a very long 'shelf life' until enough warmth is gathered to incubate and hatch them
>When a lizard man hatches they imprint on the first living thing they see, who they respect and admire as much as you would a close and loving parent.
>Therefore, lizardmen are almost never born in front of their parents and are instead gifted to a military commander, a high-priest, a king, a taskmasker, etc.
>The lizard person adores this person like a parent and as they grow finds it easy to obey their commands, as such their society is very rigid and based heavily on honor
>Lizards even trade their eggs with humans so the human nobility can hatch their eggs in front of their children and get loyal and strong bodyguards for the young prince or princess
>Otherwise the Lizardmen value hard work and dedication along with order and strict social codes; etc.

Is this a cool gimmick?
>>
File: 1303657205781.jpg (22KB, 542x428px) Image search: [Google]
1303657205781.jpg
22KB, 542x428px
>>49500972
>average height of 7.5 feet
I hope you mean "length". That height is almost detrimental.

>poisonous bite
>nobility get them to imprint on their children
>fertilized eggs of a sapient species are a trade good
>>
>>49501087

>That height is almost detrimental.
For a cold blooded, warrior race I'd disagree. They aren't sneaky or anything though, that's very clear in their mechanics.

>>49501087
>poisonous bite
>nobility get them to imprint on their children
>fertilized eggs of a sapient species are a trade good

Why are these green texts?
>>
Is this part of North America?
>>
>>49501269
Greenland? Yea technically it is.
>>
File: Dinosaurs.png (60KB, 1656x1008px) Image search: [Google]
Dinosaurs.png
60KB, 1656x1008px
Finished this off just a moment ago; honestly, it took a LOT longer than I thought it would... But I drew everything from reference so I'm happy about that.

>What IS Equatorial Dinosaur Density?

Equatorial Dinosaur Density is a term originally coined by Monster Hunters to explain the distribution, density, and availability of Dinosaurs (as opposed to Mammalian Megafauna) in correlation with North and South of the Equator, Id Est: The farther you go north the less Dinosaurs you'll find & the farther you go south the more you'll find.

This term was officially adopted at a later time by naturalists and ecologists; who coincidentally had a different, less popular name that no one used and was quickly shelved.
>>
>>49501539
Your planet is very weird. Are those brown strips mountains?
>>
>>49501652
>Your planet is very weird. Are those brown strips mountains?

Oh, no- They're badlands, what basically happened is the interiors fresh water ocean basically dried out a few million years ago and left the rest of the world high and dry

So at this point in time both continents are connected and it's simply too large and the polar oceans are too far to carry water over that great of a distance; leaving a massive ocean of sand encircling the world that's unoriginally called "The Ring".
>>
Anyone ever seen anything good on the psychology of immortals? Especially those who are isolated in small communities? Not elves, since the ones I have in mind were marooned by some temporal fuckery with a relatively 'modern' outlook.
>>
>>49501748
It's hard to really find anything "good" in terms of immortal based psychology, as other anon have said in the past when discussing this topic, immortals are often written from a mortal perspective, and the issues that they face are ones that are essentially "made up" by mortals. The challenges increase when it comes to trying to find immortals in literature, since immortality by itself poses challenges as far as writing goes. As far as writing goes, we're often looking for a "fitting end", and when immortals are involved this often thrusts the immortals in play into very particular situations - such as those where they would choose death when they have little reason to otherwise.

The attrition mentality, the memory dilemma, the necessity mindset, are all notions that we as mortals, when faced with the prospect of a life without a mortal coil, can come up with, but in application it's hard to conclusive say what would actually happen.

The premise that you've set up has specifications, but it's not close to specified enough. Isolation, small communities, modern outlooks, trapped in an environment - but we don't know about the basis for these immortals, we don't know about their objectives, their motivations, their norms. How did they achieve apotheosis? This in turn affects their mindset. What is it that actually threatens them? Have they achieved strictly time based immortality, or are mortal necessities no longer a consideration?

If these questions are what you're trying to find the answer to - unfortunately a large part of those answers need to be made up by yourself, and fit together with consistency. There's no inherent right or wrong to it. On the other hand, if you're trying to explore them as a culture further, you first need to know the answers to these questions, in order to make a better "fit".
>>
File: cover.jpg (348KB, 1066x1600px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
348KB, 1066x1600px
>>49501748
>Anyone ever seen anything good on the psychology of immortals? Especially those who are isolated in small communities?
Yeah.
This.
https://novelstales.wikispaces.com/file/view/The+Immortal+-+Borges.pdf
Probably the best "psychological" study of immortality I've ever read. It's, of course, purely speculative but it offers a look at immortality that I think is more mature and balanced and generally more clever than anything else I've read.

There are also two fairly interesting movies on the subject: One is a Japanese Anime called "Sky Crawlers" which mainly expands on Borges'es ideas about time-perception-distortion and gradual decay into not-giving-a-fuck-ness and loss of any sense of reliable identity, the other offers a very contradictory point of view and it's called "The Man from Earth". Both are fairly interesting to watch.

Personally, I've based my extremely-long-living race on Borges'es immortals quite heavily.
>>
>>49501539
I really like your art. It's very clean and exact.
>>
File: Curiasser killing roman zombies.png (1MB, 1200x845px) Image search: [Google]
Curiasser killing roman zombies.png
1MB, 1200x845px
So I have been working on setting for a while now, and so I wanted to share what I have and ask for help with fleshing things out.

The real world earth exists in one of two mirror dimensions. There is the dimension we know, and an opposite shadow dimension. The shadow dimension is the place that all dead inhabit and magical energy flows freely. Magical energy does exist in this world, but in small amounts and usually trapped inside objects. Travel between the dimensions is normally one way and only done by dead spirits.

History in the primary dimension went as normal until 1531. Haley's Comet, an object of immense magical energy, was on a collision path with earth. However, instead of hitting the earth it exploded as its magical energy tore a hole between the worlds. This tear also released a flood of magical energy across the world acting like a giant bomb. The northern ice cap melted and western Siberia was scoured of life.

This great disaster caused a shift in human history and a dramatic change in the worlds climate. Sea levels around the world rose, flooding many major cities. Some dead men from the shadow world found ways to cross back into the primary dimension. Spirits that inhabited the primary world that had for so long scrounged together what little magic they could find suddenly had access to excessive amounts of energy. And the beasts that were the native inhabitants of the shadow dimension also found ways to cross over and prey upon the inhabitants of this world.

The point where I want to use this setting for a game is ten years after the split. Im running out of space in this post so my next one will be about what happened between the impact and then.
>>
Bump, working on a post about souls.
>>
File: RS_Web_EU_8M_v3.jpg (2MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
RS_Web_EU_8M_v3.jpg
2MB, 2048x1536px
>>49505029

So with the link between the worlds opened and Siberia devastated most of the crossover between the worlds happened there or further south in western asia. With all of this activity and the rising sea levels people fled west. The tide of immigrants caused trouble with the westerners. The cultural and language barriers only made things worse.

One of the dead men who crossed over was the former roman emperor Nero. He brought with him legions of former roman soldiers and set out to rebuild his empire. His time in the shadow world taught him how to manipulate magic and allowed him to raised the skeletons of fallen legionaries from the earth. His forces overwelmed anyone who stood in their path and their corpses added to his ranks. By 1535 they had retaken Rome and all of Italy. As the legions spread outwards they found that they zombies and skeletons grew weaker as they got further from the emperor limiting his borders to about 500 miles from Rome. Without need to feed the legions, the undead armies are relatively harmless to the people who dont attempt to fight them and accept roman rule.

The flooding in Europe and the addition of the undead Romans scrambled the nations. The holy roman empire spread east, France settles its border with New Rome. Spain annexes Portugal and is invaded by France.

London floods, and the moves its capital to Coventry. Refugees from the flooding are sent to Ireland, the Irish clans (also suffering from flooding) squabble with each other for territory but halfheartedly unite to try and push out the British. In response Henry 8 leads a campaign to conquer Ireland.

In South America the subjugated Aztecs raise an army of spirit warriors to slaughter the Spanish.

In the Ottoman empire and Arabia spirits with access to magic manifest themselves and claim to be angels of god sent to rule over men. Many people accept these angels as their rulers creating kingdoms that shatter the Ottoman empire.
>>
>>49505407

I want to also point out the Rome would be under water, Nero built a new city on the new coats, but did not change its name.

Other than that thats most of what Ive got as far as larger worldbuilding. Most of what I wrote is stuff that pertains to what the players will experience in game. Any questions or comments help to try and keep fleshing things out though.
>>
I need some help with my souls.

I have some established ideas:
>Gods create souls for 'their race'
>>Human souls are created from various objects and materials
>>Moradin smithes dwarven and gnomean souls in the sunforge at night
>>Hobgoblin God is ascended mortal, cant create souls, shares his own instead
>>Elf God is dead and the race survives by reusing souls; reincarnation. 'Half-elves' are elves with non-elven souls.
>>Many races, fx orcs and halflings, perished because their god died in the God Wars long ago

Death, the Grim Reaper, was a god of the Harvest, now he collects souls. Why is a great question, I havent found a good answer. He cares not for the praise of mortals, not after the 'his death' or something similar divine equivalent, however he still endured while all other gods indeed perished.

Valkyries, a class of angels, seek mortals souls worthy to fight for their course. They only take pure souls only and only after they have died. Angels do not swear allegiance to any God and they accept all races.

Devils/Daemons/whatever-name make faustian deals for mortal souls, even before the mortal is dead. I not sure what else to do to make them more involved.

Dwarves turn to stone as they age, this is their death. I figure they create their own 'afterlife' as a physical Hall of Ancestors. This is how far I have gotten with them, what happens with the souls (fades?), interaction with Death, interaction with living dwarves?

Hobgoblins share a divine spark, rather than a soul. They must give it back to their God. Individuality corrupts the spark and is socially a taboo. A "black-jack karma" is created

I need help expanding on these ideas; the 'endgame' of the souls, afterlife and purpose. What to do about humans and gnomes? Im also working on a lizardfolk race, but I dont know to even do about their soul creation, much less about their afterlife. Gnomes were created by Moradin, after he took over the soul creation for the dwarves, because he wanted his own
>>
>>49492007
Wormhole tech for some crazy shots. Why make a calibre to shot through walls when your shot can just warp through it?

And then go a step further, what if you could shoot through time? You shoot the gun, bullet disappears and reappears 3 hours later, making this method useful for assassinations.

>>49505029
Random thoughts;
The Church and the Vatican should have some strong opinions on this, along with other religions. Even new religions could have spawned.

Likewise science probably got a kick in its ass and started reexamining 'supernatural' occurrences, trying to expand the science of the dual realm.

Death cults could arise, making arcane rituals involving mass slaughter/suicide to breach through the veil.

On a societal level a change in perception of "the crazy folk" would probably happen and is taken more seriously. Gypsies, charlatans and magic vendors appears.
>>
Do you have any weird impractical weapon in your setting?

My has a long staff with triple blades on each end. Many careless warriors decapitated themselves trying to hit the enemy.
>>
>>49505477
Dwarf souls could congeal in their Halls of Ancestors, seeping through their mines, winding through their rooms and corridors like the roots of a rotten tree. They could be the "soul" of a fortress, a heightened reflection of the mood of the clan. When illness strikes the people, illness strikes the mine, and the whole latticework breathes malice. It could explain "tantrum spirals", the secret feuds of families cooped up for centuries -- that kind of thing.

You could solve your soul-end problem by focusing on the gods. For example, the gods could themselves be incomprehensible essences of -- things. Their created "peoples" aren't made in the same way you or I make something, they're the natural splintering and paring down that happens when the Godly meets the Real. Each dwarf is just a tiny mote of what Moradin really is, cut off and given life inside reality. But this is just where God and Reality meet; the gods themselves are untouched.

Humans, in that sense, could be reality given form. Though I don't want to push too far that way, because then I'd just be suggesting my own ideas.

Hobgod could be trapped within reality despite divinity. Like an ant caught between two taught pages, if that makes any sense. Constantly splintering and splintering and splintering, and for real, while those splinters desperately try to keep their godhood together.

Demons could be stealing what godhood they can, to weaken the gods or to consume for themselves or for whatever other end you wish.

D'you mind if I steal some of your stuff?
>>
>>49505767
Royal Chamber is an enchanted 4-shot revolver. Bullets are named after cards.
>King of Hearts
>Queen of Spades
>Jack of Diamonds
>Ace of Clubs
Every single one has a different effect upon impact.

Also there's Immitis, direct opposite of a Misericorde. It's a greatsword incapable of killing off an opponent for good, always leaving its victims concious and alive. Even after beheading someone, the body's still alive and capable of moving, as if it was still whole.
>>
File: lifehunt-scythe-onhand.jpg (37KB, 300x383px) Image search: [Google]
lifehunt-scythe-onhand.jpg
37KB, 300x383px
>>49505767
I'm a HEMAfag but I have a strange soft spot for huge scythes. Even when the wielder is wildly spinning around with insane momentum. They'd be omitted in any written works but in-campaign things are more fun.
>>
>>49505755

I forgot to talk about the church. The Vatican, being in rome flooded but because the flooding happened gradually rather than all at once they were able to move most of the people and artifacts out. But all of that was seized by Nero and destroyed. People still call themselves Catholic, but no longer have any official leadership. In time the religion will split but for the time beign things are floating on.

In additon most people really dont understand what is going on because the traffic if mostly coming from the shadow world to the primary one. Those that do come over also dont have much of an understanding other than "I died, I went to the other world, and now I am back here years after my death." So the general consensus is that they were in some sort of purgatory or hell. Some monks debate whether or not they are doing what is needed to get into heaven. The truth is that all dead end up in the shadow world and that religions are based on magical events that happened in the past because of spirits that got a hold of power or individuals that were simply born with it (Jesus for example). The religions that built of around that are simply stories.

Cults are defiantly going to be a thing. I like the idea that some people figured out that they could open a portal by killing lots of people. In fact I will have that work. It would be funny if a cult opens a portal and just some random peasant walks through confused as to what was going on. That or a beast, (most people call them demons since they think the shadow world is hell) comes through and eats people becuase its just a big predator that eats people.

Another note about the beasts/demons and the shadow world. So when a person dies they get a new body almost immediately int he shadow world. This is like their last chance. If they die in their new body their soul is destroyed forever. The demons in the shadow world prey upon the animals and people that get sent over.
>>
File: The Big Guns.jpg (493KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
The Big Guns.jpg
493KB, 1920x1080px
>>49505767
The Byuronic Railway Cannon is a weapon of terrible magics. Its barrel launches a pillar of phosphoric salt with the force of a small volcano. One shot could level cities. It has been compared to several religious events.

It is powered by great sacrifice. In this case, its own creation. You see, its railway is over a hundred miles long, and connected to precisely nothing else. It leans on a carriage which itself has no fuel, and in any case has no purpose. It was build on an island a thousand miles out at sea -- shipping the materials out there was ludicrously expensive. It just, *just* manages to fit one small fishing village within its range.

The politician who suggested it was shot. Interestingly, the cannon's efficiency increased by fifteen percent.
>>
Does anyone know exactly how a coup de grace was delivered on wounded soldiers in medieval times, like the exact area to thrust into?
>>
>>49506528
It's not like a specific manoeuvre or something. You just kill them. Though wikipedia says in a throwaway line that the most common way, with a misericorde, was down through the neck and into the heart.
>>
>>49506611
Throat makes more sense. It's where the important stuff is concentrated and no pesky scull to get in the way.
>>
>>49506528
there are a few specific ones i've heard of. this is one >>49506611

in armoured combat, i've also heard of, with a rondel/bollock dagger, going:
- through the helmet ocular (eye slit), through the eye, into the brain;
- under the armpit, through the mail voiders, right into the lung/heart.
>>
>>49506720
if you can sever the jugular/carotid it will obviously kill eventually, but have you ever watched the chechen soldiers video? doing a throat slit is not an instakill.
>>
File: WorldMap_1_Labels_Whole_800x800.jpg (285KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
WorldMap_1_Labels_Whole_800x800.jpg
285KB, 800x800px
I need some help thinking of names for emperors...

The empire has a German theme (like Holy Roman Empire and the Warhammer empire). They have a tradition of the emperor taking on an imperial name when he is elected, like the pope takes on a papal name, or the Roman emperor taking on their name. The names are supposed to be grandiose sounding, but also work alone as names.

Anything German/Latin sounding that has a meaning of something powerful, magnificent, grandiose, is good. Here are some examples I've come up with but not sure if they're good. Also I'd appreciate input from any German speakers about whether they sound good.

Magnus/Magna - definitely a strong sounding name, but a bit generic.
Sonneken (sun-kin) - , not sure if it sounds good in German.
Eisenfaust (lronhand) - sound good in English but not sure in Geman.
Verteidiger - hard to read in English, also probably sounds bad in German.
Löwenherz (lionheart) - generic, but cool sounding in English.
Invictus/Invicta - also a bit generic.
Seraphine
Makellos
Geistrich
Vermögend
Siegfried
>>
>>49506903
what did you use to make the heraldry on your map?
>>
>>49506611
I need it in a specific way, and also the most humane way. I saw that line on wikipedia but I couldn't find a source for it anywhere, so I decided to look elsewhere.

>>49506720
>>49506782
Yeah, I mean obviously probably wasn't an exact science back them, but if it makes them suffer needlessly I can't use it.

>>49506734
This sounds good, thanks
>>
>>49506968
It's just placeholder stuff I took off google images and put on a shield background. I planning to redraw them eventually so I'm not just stealing existing stuff.
>>
>>49498522
not the guy you are talking to but thanks for that link.
>>
>>49505819
>D'you mind if I steal some of your stuff?
Sure, go ahead, I have gotten a lot from /tg/ myself.

>Dwarf souls could congeal in their Halls of Ancestors
as their "body-statue' crumbles, and like the rumble still lies on the floor so does the soul. Yes this is good.
The pervasiveness of the dwarven souls, keeping old grudges alive beyond one dwarf generation. That their souls perpetuate illness and mood, even to the physical (not the problem, kinda cool actually) suggests that the 'relationship' goes both ways. Im not so sure of living affecting the dead, but it could be a good way to do 'dwarven afterlife'. Im now beginning to question if there should be a general Hall for the entire Cavern city or it should be a more Clan based.

>[Gods are] the natural splintering and paring down that happens when the Godly meets the Real. Each dwarf is just a tiny mote of what Moradin really is, cut off and given life inside reality.
This is actually a pretty good description of what I want the Hobgod/soul to be. Not sure about the reality splintering, I want a more mythological driven world.

I want real gods, gods that walk the earth and interact with it and its inhabitants. This requires a redefinition of Faith;
>Faith in a material God means trust in the God to be a beneficial force in the world and to ones own life. Faith means following the teachings of the God, letting the God guide one through life. Faith also in gratitude from the gift of life and answered prayers.
Atheism is a delusion, maltheism is not, and actually a thing; the gods did go to war and that fucked up the world.

>Demons stealing godhood
This a good idea.

Dwarves got their physical Hall of Ancestors, Hobbos are 'reabsorbed' by their god and elves are reincarnating themselves. Still need something about humans, gnomes and lizardfolk.
Gnomes are created by the dwarven god, smithed in the sunforge (that's where the sun is during night time). They are primarily nomads, walking between cities
>>
>>49507500
>I want a more mythological driven world.
Ironically, I was inspired by the Greek myths -- the idea being that the true "God/s" Xenophanes talks about turn into the lower, more human, more real gods who bicker and have sex with mortals.
>>
>>49501539
>Equatorial Dinosaur Density
I want this to be a real thing.
>>
I marathoned Killjoys recently.

So, anyone building some lawless frontier settings?
>>
>>49503420
A fair bit of this sort of plays in to what I was thinking, but there's a lot of new ideas in there too. I can expand on those. A lot of the 'time' and 'ennui' problems I'd just sort of kicked down the road, assuming they'd go into cold sleep for years at a time, with systems (or others) to wake them, ala the Sleeper Service when it became desirable. Still runs into the holodeck issue. I based a lot of their 'personalities' around a news story I read about a hermit a while back, who had lived in the woods alone for nearly 30 years. Christopher something. Said that his personality evaporated, and it simply became irrelevant - he just was. Combine that with a line I read once, that time just makes us more of what we are, and I figured they'd have an incredibly simple, stripped down core of 'sapience' that was closer to a very clever dog, or something from blindsight, than a human unless there was a sudden and desperate need for it. Then the 'personality' surfaced.
>>
>>49509727
Yes, two. One is a not!African state given law in the form of shotguns. The other is after the whole world's been made lawless frontier, and new empires are only now rising.

What's Killjoys?
>>
>>49510329
It's a (relatively) new show on SyFy. About a trio of space bounty hunters. Though less of lawless frontier and more of company town dystopia.

It's pretty fun.
>>
>>49502804
Looking to explore the resulting society and culture, mostly. I think part of the problem is that they aren't really threatened by much and there aren't many left. It's a low fantasy !earth, set in roughly the modern day. The immortals are.. considerably more advanced than modern !earth, even with the precious few actual researchers among them.

It also doesn't help that while the total number started at around 30000, their factionalism cut things down quickly, with the survivors numbering at around 800, all from a single group. They started out in a huge range of time periods (1600AD to 8200AD), so it seems difficult for any cohesive culture to form given that the first thousand years were struggle and work and mass die offs, followed by nearly immediate warfare with their factions after a stable society with resourcing was established. Nasty feeling I might have to alter them seriously to get anything coheisve.

They're a carry over from another game, a dodgy homebrew wargame with some bolt on metaworld aspects. It detailed the battles of the factions of our group of immortals throughout history, with each faction having a different 'outlook' on what they should be doing with mankind (the object of the game was to win a battle every two-three hundred years or so, allowing you to change the course of history a bit. We'd try to guess what the world would look like and factor things in to decide what the world would look like when the other 4 'factions' were defeated, blah blah, given what had happened to the world with what we'd done to it. Bit of fun, killed a few afternoons. Decided we wanted to play a game set in a world in which the non intervention faction won, allowing for them to sit quietly in the rub-al khali - being a part of the world without affecting it.
>>
File: 307885.jpg (423KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
307885.jpg
423KB, 1920x1080px
The year is 2060. The gay bug has broken out of the jar and the government doesn't know what to do. Is this going to lower the population? Will this further the government's power? Are the globalists behind this act?
Man and man next to each other. Back in 2016 thus would be no issue. Now, now is different. Man next to man is now man bending over man. For rape.
Rape. Common,legal, and encouraged. That's that the school taught us at least. And they made us practice it too. Gym class was replaced for Rectal Opening and Lubricating class. One by one we were forced to be taught that being gay... was good.
That's just the begging of the story. Less than a year later it didn't take long to see these acts take place in the real world. The real, gay world. At the bus stop is where I first saw it. A poster saying, "Gay is our Fave!", with a smaller font beneath it saying, "Gays live longer and are smarter. Insert it today."
Insert it? I turned my head over my shoulder to see an older male bending over a 20 year old male over the bus seat. The younger make crying and begging for forgiveness. The older specimen didn't have it. He slammed the younger smaller male to the floor as he tried to crawl away. He was raping the "twink".
And that's where I first saw it. It wasn't the last time. Sometimes I'd see gay rape take place every corner I turned, multiple times a day. For what reason?
Soon the government gave up on exterminating the gays. It was a bug that was spread all over America and too big to contain. That must explain the commercials I saw.
Those commercials included Viagra, with two men. Porn commercials on tv, with men. The government gave up didn't they? No. Don't be fooled. They implimented this and encouraged this.
Gay rape is legal, encouraged, and common.
>>
Ive been trying to come up with a magi system that folllows the first rule of thermodynamics. SO far Ive found a way to incorporate healing as well as possibly fire into this, however I have not come up with too many more.

I dont want to stick to the basic elements of earth, wind, fire, water, ect but I want to be a bit more creative. However I'm hitting a wall.

My gods represent "laws of the universe" and as ones theme is "as above so below" I figure there cant be only positive powers that do thigns, but negative as well, and a way to harness it just like any other. Ive come up with a race that is resistant to poisons, sicknesses after creating a global epidemic that wiped out most of the worlds life. I really like this idea, as they are the counter to my health race.

Any other ideas on how to manipulate energy into subtle "magic"? I'm not too big on major magic, but I do enjoy the thought of it and making it feel spectacular, yet not over the top.
>>
File: GOLEM_FLAVORS.png (23KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
GOLEM_FLAVORS.png
23KB, 720x720px
>>49503496
>>49508258

Kind Words, Anons.

If you'd like to see more of my stuff (usually with more in-depth descriptions and details) you can always peek your peepers at my work blog: http://spaghettiart.tumblr.com/
>>
>>49510547
In the end regardless of whether they're mortals, or immortals, having some sort of conflict is a bit of a necessity in order for things to "move", so to speak. It doesn't always have to be a threat, but it does have to be some sort of impetus. Otherwise you hit that sense of stagnation that people commonly associate with immortality.

At the end of the day though, a society is still built up from individuals, and individuals aren't necessarily monolithic - even if immortality wears them down over time. In the case of your specific scenario, it's not unfeasible for a culture to establish - just that the scale won't be as substantial as say the "culture" of a whole race and such.

Writing about immortals, and trying to convey that sense of "time" can result in very substantial gaps in between, where the motivations, the thought processes, and the tendencies of these individual immortals get overlooked. When you don't have those, a "cohesive culture" can seem nebulous. I like working with massive casts of immortals, but even then, most of the action is played out via mortals.

At the end of the day, if a certain mode of thought appeals to you - like the other anon's suggestion, then perhaps modelling an entire culture based on that mode of thought would be a fitting way to go. Ultimately for a subject that's so "up in the air" it's better to go with what actually interests you.
>>
how would you guys feel about a /wbg/ pdf archive?
>>
File: backstory for ERP.jpg (49KB, 310x367px) Image search: [Google]
backstory for ERP.jpg
49KB, 310x367px
>>49511057
>>
Anybody here working on a post-apocalypse setting?
>>
>>49493589
If things like tractor beams or repulsion fields exist in your magical fantasy universe then you can use those to propel a projectile.

How this would actually affect weapon performance and whether or not it's better than a normal railgun or other electromagnetic gun really depends on how magic repulsion technology works in your setting.
>>
>>49513354
Yes. I have a setting where the earth is devastated and demons invade. Now humanity has to fight back against them.
>>
Curious, does anyone else here worldbuild for fun as opposed to for a game? Or am I alone?
>>
>>49514108
I'm definitely considering it. I've never played D&D or any TTRPG before, but it seems so fun.
>>
>>49514108
I've been worldbuilding for nearly a decade, a bit of writing on the side. I don't think anyone else will ever really see the result of it, it's just become something I do by now. I've long since stopped playing TTRPGs.
>>
>>49514108
I do. Though its generally for writing that I'll never actually get around to. But I do thoroughly enjoy the creative process.
>>
Hey guys, like one month ago i saw a wiki link here with a big questionnarie, it was amazing. Sadly i lost the link, anyone has it?
>>
>>49513354
I'm chipping away at a post-apocalyptic setting where a plague has killed 98% of women.
>>
>>49514761
Battletanx?
>>
File: image_3(1).jpg (37KB, 492x503px) Image search: [Google]
image_3(1).jpg
37KB, 492x503px
>>49513354
Working on a WW1 era post apoc setting.
>>
>>49514761
vic and blood?
>>
>>49513354
Yeah, i'm working on a exoplanet colonized by humanity after an incoming catastrophe on earth, after hundreds of years they still don't know if the apocalypse came or not because they can't contact earth.
>>
File: Herbert_TheWhitePlague_2.jpg (434KB, 909x1377px) Image search: [Google]
Herbert_TheWhitePlague_2.jpg
434KB, 909x1377px
>>49514803
>>49514870
Nah, this is where I got the idea.
>>
>>49514108
At present, im world building for world building's sake and that I enjoy it. I however am leaving ample room for the possibility of making a game or book out of it. At this point my only goal is to flesh out the world.
>>
>>49514108
I build worlds for its own sake, although I hope some day they come in handy.
>>
>>49513354
Yes. Think ancient Sumeria, with buried titans and trench lines stuck in time.

There was a war. Everything fell to war. They split the soul, yes, but they also killed time. They drew the eye of God.

No one knows much. But the farmers farm, the smithies hammer bronze, and merchants travel between new cities. But they carry ration-bars in the backpacks worn by soldiers two hundred years ago, and the priests pray to iron gods of logic.

Sometimes metal men walk the dust. Sometimes the roaming starships pass overhead.
>>
>>49514999
>the white place
A Drumpf convention?
>>
Before i spend time fleshing out the idea, do you guys think it'd be a bad idea to have an isolationist island nation with cygnar/khador-esque arcane steampunk tech in a setting that is otherwise similar to the Forgotten Realms in terms of technology and society?
>>
>>49519069
Everything depends upon execution. It could be an absolutely horrible idea, or a great one.

Are you interested in it AND its role within the wider world? Would your players be interested in it, and are you interested in making it interesting for them (if you're building for players)? If yes, then it'll probably be good. If no, then it'll be shit.

Whatever you do, don't just plonk them down in their own little world.
>>
>>49514527
>http://www.sfwa.org/2009/08/fantasy-worldbuilding-questions/
If it's this, it was shit.
>>
>>49505819
Hobgoblin God could be dead. Each 'soul' is a tiny aspect of himself that flies out, inhabiting one of his people at birth. At death it returns. It also gives a hard limit to the hobgoblin population. The priesthood is an attempt to keep their god as close as possible to who he was prior to death iun the hope he'll return one day.
>>
File: 1332219945000.jpg (199KB, 596x900px) Image search: [Google]
1332219945000.jpg
199KB, 596x900px
>>49513354

Yes, in a totally ass-backwards way, I am. I've been working on a roughly WWI-level setting for a long while, and in developing its ancient history, I kept coming back to some of the same legends. They were kind of like the Greek myths--a lot of heroes roaming the earth, fighting titans and such--and I started wondering "what if they were true?"

So, now I'm basically fleshing out the background of these tales, and finding that the world they take place in really kind of sucks. Like I said, you've got wandering heroes fighting giant enemies, and in between the epic moments of derring-do, the people live in fear and struggle to build something resembling a society before a titan comes along and wipes them out.

My hope is that by exploring this ancient setting, it will inform certain things about the "present." I just have to be careful not to fall all the way down the rabbit hole.
>>
>>49513354
My settings tend to feature some kind of mighty empire that is always destroyed in backstory leaving remnants behind. Though it's less about living in the ruins and more of living on the edges of a smodering crater that once was source of all the nice things in your life.

Or simply leaving on frontier when homeland is gone.
>>
>>49519355
Cool. My setting developed in exactly the opposite way.

I don't think you need to do it that way, background and all, but it gives the post-apoc tonnes of flavour if you can bring things from the past back into it.
>>
File: 1468707743692.gif (641KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
1468707743692.gif
641KB, 500x281px
>>49519541
>my mighty ancient empire was an evil, greedy dictatorship
>gives an excuse for dungeons and ruins full of undead, riches, and boobytraps
>also gives an excuse for the current nations outlawing slavery and killing Goblins on-sight
>>
>>49519856
I had worldbuilding with mindset like this, although empire was not evil, but it was so magical it raised mountains to be their city walls and had a capital with half-a-Europe size.

Then it turned out magic weakens reality and lets demons slip through, so everyone got kill by demons.
>>
File: emperors1.png (257KB, 1098x2416px) Image search: [Google]
emperors1.png
257KB, 1098x2416px
>>49506903

rate my emperors /tg/.

also give me ideas for blank ones if you're so inclined.
>>
>>49519919
>Siegmeyer the Fat
>Sieglinde the Strong
>>
>>49519961
oswald_of_carim_insane_laugh.wav
>>
File: 1319166105709.jpg (213KB, 1000x764px) Image search: [Google]
1319166105709.jpg
213KB, 1000x764px
>>49519798

Well, that's the other thing: the reason this ancient setting is post-apocalyptic is because something went very wrong to make it post-apocalyptic. Like, the legends hold that there was a thriving civilization in the beginning, a "kingdom of the gods/Garden of Eden" sort of deal, but then there was a titanomachy that sundered the earth and brought the whole thing crashing down. The epoch of heroes is what immediately follows that, and by its nature it's post-apocalyptic. I admit it's kind of inspired by Dark Souls in its atmosphere: there are remnants of the golden times before, but most are ruined, and what isn't ruined is crumbling away.

As for "bringing things from the past into it," the significance of this era to the "modern" time of the setting is that I get to have all these old ruins and artifacts for archaeologists/adventurers to dig up, and maybe the threat of the ancient titans arising again. By charting the narrative of this period, I hope to come to some conclusions about that.
>>
>setting is essentially a closed off ghetto
>Strange murders have been happening, all by people wearing masks
>Witnesses report seeing no assailant
>There would be a gunshot, and someone bleeding out, but no gunman
>Video recording shows the gunman
>Turns out the masks are creating spirit projections
>The killers put them on, body drops down, spirit walks out
>If they drop out with a gun, they have a gun in spirit form and can kill people
>The masks deteriorate the soul, eventually killing the wearer (~1 hour)
>If it kills you, your soul gets absorbed by the thing distributing the masks
>If enough people die this way, it will become a god
>cue action sequences and so on

Question : Science spin or fantasy spin or what? Where do the masks come from?
>>
>>49519856
>>49519905
>my mighty ancient empire was an evil slaver state
>it was built by magic, off the back of mercenary demons, who ate the empire when their pay was due
You are obviously my parents.
>>
File: 1345858891364.jpg (298KB, 960x666px) Image search: [Google]
1345858891364.jpg
298KB, 960x666px
>>49520131
>spiritually-based serial killing
>giving it a "science spin"

Any explanation you try to come up with for this is going to be incredibly flimsy. It's better to just be up-front about the fact that it's magic.
>>
>>49520131
Definitely not standard science spin.

Science spin can work if you go full singularity ("we don't understand it because we are tiny and the march of progress is unstoppable"), but otherwise it's forced ("the masks work by [contrived technobabble]").

Magic is just another way of reaching "we don't understand it", though instead of appealing to alienation it appeals to intuition ("we DO understand it, but not logically").
>>
>>49520159
My setting's creator basically said "Oh for fuck's sake, guys" and taught a Human arcane spellcasting so that they could free themselves.
Nothing beats killing Pig Orcs with fire spells. Free bacon almost lead to their extinction.
>>
>>49520211
Should mention, [contrived technobabble] is just another word for magic. Any insufficiently explained science is no different than magic.

Related; Magitech settings that have magic-technology mimicing "sci-fi" are my fetish.
>>
>>49506903
A rule of thumb for German: you can just mash words together. got some german titles/names here composed of two words, you can just take the first part (for example Drachen-Dragon) and attach it to the second part of another (for example Schwert-sword). This creates a word composed of both (for example, Drachenschwert, dragonsword)

Drachentöter (dragonslayer)
Silberschwert (silver sword)
Goldschild (Golden schild)
Blutträne (tears of blood)
Schlangenkröne (snake crown)
Schadenwolf (shadow wolf)

Loose german words/names (can also be combined like those above, just translate a word you'd like to add)
Krieger (warrior)
Sieger (victorious person)
RItter (knight)
Kaiser (emperor)
König (king)
Herzog (duke)
Herr (Lord)
Graf (count)
Friedrich (peaceful ruler)
Wilhelm (desires to protect)
Otto (wealthy one)
Heinrich (home ruler)
Rudolf (famous wolf)
Adolf (noble wolf)
Ludwig (famous war(rior))

Latin: (us/is can be replaced with -um to just mean the adjective or to -a to become female)
Aurus (the golden one)
Argentus (the silver one)
Altitudis (the tall one)
Ferox (the fierce one)
Otius (the peaceful one)
Sacrus (the holy one)
Magnus (the big one)
>>
>>49520211
I think, generally, that magic is something that works with high level, while science is about breaking down things and finding common denominator.

Science is fields and particles, even if they are absurd. Magic is words, thoughts, emotions and symbols. "Magic" is what happens when you didn't break reality down hard enough.

I suppose honest magic is better for him, although very soft science can work.
>>
>>49520211
okay, better question

Should this be the government doing it? some mega-corp? a demon? never sufficiently explained at all? cultists?
>>
>>49520244
Similar dynamic in my setting. Bright Gods struck a deal with a power-hungry chieftain: he carved an empire, the First Empire, across the rich black earth. His payment was the empire's death, once it was fat and full of people.

It was an investment, so to speak.

How come the Creator didn't just squash the Pig Orcs? Why did he need humans to do it?
>>49520270
Contrived technobabble is completely different to magic. It IS the "sufficiently explained science", it's just sufficiently explained wrong science. Which feels too contrived if it's trying to explain something obviously based on the intuitive (in this case, the mask/soul/bargain/god thing, rather than just the going invisible thing). Which itself breaks immersion, but also focuses this part of the world on something that really doesn't matter (contrived technobabble).

Singularity would be an example of "insufficiently explained science". The whole point is that no "mortal" could understand it. You even end up with gods -- look at Neuromancer. The book and the character.

I think magitech works best when it's all about taking intuitive magic and welding it to the logical, or scientific. Like taking the principal of sacrifice, and making it a scientific process -- "we sacrifice eight goats a day to power this machine gun".

By intuitive I basically mean "makes sense if you don't think about it". The kind of things you'd find in myths. It's easy to imagine a hammer that only one person can use, even if it makes no damn sense.
>>49520300
I'd kind of agree. Magic is more about breaking the world down to perception/emotion, rather than to analysis. Like having wolf-heads move on their own, vs. asking how the hell it would work. In magic, *magic* is how the hell it "works"; but that's not important, because what's important is that it makes sense that it should "work" (ex. because wolves never forgive the one that decapitated them).
>>49520464
Depends completely on what themes you want to push.
>>
>>49520464
>>49520550
To expand: government could emphasise the desperate death-throes of states falling to megacorps -- or emphasise the familiar authority of the state and the dominance of its traditional power structure (which links in nicely with a "traditional" method of killing). Megacorps could present the opposite view -- corporations rising in power using strange new means (which you may or may not want to present as nonetheless "traditional"), and simple demons could either make the setting more unnerving if they're radically different to the world (i.e. the world is scientific) OR they can be played with familiarity, if you go down the old (shadowrun/choice of the deathless/plenty others probably) "magic is a fundamental part of an essentially modern society".

Never sufficiently explaining it can work, if you are very careful, and the world is built to accommodate loose ends, and especially if a feeling of being cheated/lost incomprehension is what you're going for (which you could legitimately want).
>>
>>49520550
>I'd kind of agree. Magic is more about breaking the world down to perception/emotion, rather than to analysis. Like having wolf-heads move on their own, vs. asking how the hell it would work. In magic, *magic* is how the hell it "works"; but that's not important, because what's important is that it makes sense that it should "work" (ex. because wolves never forgive the one that decapitated them).
What I was trying to say is - magic rules are sort of "I know when I see it" deal. It can pass moral judgement, evaluate motives or easily identify what is, say, alive and what is not.

Pure science fiction is about strict and formal rules based on fundamentals, even if those fundamentals are fantastic. Things like "life energy" are convinient, but not very sciency, because what is "life"?
>>
>>49520550
>How come the Creator didn't just squash the Pig Orcs? Why did he need humans to do it?
The Creator goes out of his way not to smite and slaughter his creations. Pig Orcs were there before Humans, as Humans are chimera.
He gave Humans arcane magic because the dude ruling the slave-empire manned by Pig Orcs was one of the "original creations", and was violating the "do not impose your will upon creation" rule. Humans gaining the ability to learn a fighting style that didn't rely on brute physical strength tipped the scales, eventually resulting in the "Great War".
>>
>>49520272
thanks for the help and tips. i managed to do a lot in the meantime since i wrote that post, doing mostly what you described (just adding words together like one would do in English and translating to German), but i appreciate the input and help.

if you're still around, would you be able to look at some the names i put together and see if any of them sound bad (i'm assuming you are a German speaker)? here's the list: >>49519919
>>
>>49520211
>Magic is just another way of reaching "we don't understand it", though instead of appealing to alienation it appeals to intuition ("we DO understand it, but not logically").

this debate comes up almost every thread but this is one of the more succint and salient ways i've seen it put. good job anon.
>>
File: 1459199275642.gif (167KB, 220x216px) Image search: [Google]
1459199275642.gif
167KB, 220x216px
>Beastmen tribes often have a unique racial language
>Draconic is often anglicized as Latin
>Pig Orcs were devout followers of the Crimson Dragon for a few centuries
>Pig Orcs probably spoke Pig Latin
>>
>>49520710
I kind of agree once again. I would say that science fiction is about our strict and formal rules applied to our fundamentals, WITH the leeway of sometimes bending/breaking either one. In the context of science fiction, this might be Non-Newtonian Elements giving hyperspace.

But "strict and formal rules based on fundamentals, even if those fundamentals are fantastic" also applies to what people call scientific magic. This is made by taking supernatural elements and then applying real logic. This is contrasted with the magitech described in >>49520550, which is built by hammering scientific logic onto intuitive logic/laws (magic). The first gives you a pseudoscience much like straight sci-fi, while the second gives you a mix of two clashing perspectives.

[By "supernatural element", I *think* I mean the same as your "fantastic fundamentals"—objects (anything that isn't a process) that are not found in the real world. For example, the classical elements (fire/earth/air/water/aether), or mithril, or indeed life energy. I'm only saying "elements" (speed enhancing red paint) because I want to distinguish them from laws (belief makes things true), which could both be called fundamentals.]

So in this other form of magitech you would take the wolf and say "everything has its own life energy value; wolves have more life energy than normal, allowing it to live for a while even after death". This is the magic, though it's more like borked science (like real world pseudosciences). The "tech" would come simply by applying the human's scientific process to the already scientific magic—ex. that you can refine living things to life powder, and that you can use this to gain life yourself, and then you have magitech Red Potions/penicillin or whatever. So in that fashion your life energy can be magical or pseudoscientific.
>>49522194
>The Shotgun Kings worship the shotgun
>They have amazons
>These amazons symbolically marry their shotgun
>It's literally a shotgun wedding
>>
File: 1473220263852.jpg (110KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1473220263852.jpg
110KB, 800x600px
>love 1800s firearms and ww1 artillery and ships for large scale combat, want to use it for setting
>prefer high medieval technology for small scale "adventurer" combat, only tactical/logistic knowledge is based on medieval times
any way to successfully mix the two?
>>
>>49523918
late 1800s ships*
To add, the setting has higher oxygen levels, to the best of my knowledge this would render some low quality firearms useless and generally make guns more dangerous to the user. I'm open to altering the qualities of certain substances.
>>
>>49523918
I solved the problem by introducing a singularity, so there was a short period of time in which people were still using pikes and armour despite the recent invention of the rifle, and in my case even up to the computer. This singularity was itself explained by magitech.
>>
what are some cool ideas for weapons/swords that kings an high lords can use? things are not too crazy magical but have personality.
>>
File: Kilij.jpg (53KB, 816x612px) Image search: [Google]
Kilij.jpg
53KB, 816x612px
>>49524346
This can cut a pig in half in one swing
>>
File: goujian sword.jpg (164KB, 772x1308px) Image search: [Google]
goujian sword.jpg
164KB, 772x1308px
>>49524346
Ones that they "made" themselves. Either they really did forge it after years of careful practice during their years a young prince, or they just funded it and claimed them did.

The weapon would not only be ornamental, it would be deadly. This sword for example was still sharp after a 1000 years. The good scabbard can be thanked for that though
>>
File: gaujian sword.jpg (375KB, 1465x1200px) Image search: [Google]
gaujian sword.jpg
375KB, 1465x1200px
>>49524440
Let it be known too. Here are what the bug-bird runes on it mean
>>
File: Map(6).jpg (966KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Map(6).jpg
966KB, 1024x768px
>what do you like on this map
>what do you dislike on this map
>what is wrong in this map (apart from the lack of islands)

a WIP map for a new rpg setting I want to run.
>>
File: riverSystem.jpg (294KB, 1234x924px) Image search: [Google]
riverSystem.jpg
294KB, 1234x924px
>>49524463
The rivers going through Damara are flowing backwards. Rivers merge as they move towards the ocean, they almost never split (unless they become a delta).
>>
>>49523918

Tech regression. Your big ships and artillery are relics of an older, more advanced era whose secrets have been lost to time. They're rolled out only for the biggest, most vital conflicts, and strike fear into the enemy whenever they take to the field--as if some mythical monsters arose from hell to do battle.
>>
>>49524397
i already have a guy with a saber so that's cool but i mean, like interesting little backstories for the weapons, distinguishing features. like maybe it has a jewel with some kind of weird history that people believe curses anyone hit by it? something that like does something at a certain time of day? has some kind of alternate use or meaning like being gilded with gold stolen from an enemy kingdom's treasury or something.

>>49524440
yeah that one's cool, i remember when articles went around about it a while back.
>>
>>49524463
Judging by the names and the regions, your world seems pretty imaginative. Not Forgotten Realms-tier bankruptcy, at least.

Aesthetically it looks like shit.

The three stripes of mountain ranges seem a little weird, depending on scale.
>>
>>49493995
>But do I have to model the city states after the gods or the gods after the city states?
I mean, a smaller village or town would probably not have a very complex idea of their patron deity, apart from it having some part in local legends and maybe having an affinity for the town's major trades (a fishing village would maybe have a god that takes interest in something to do with that, etc.). If it's a larger city, and especially if that city has control/authority over a larger area, that's when the deity will start to grow in complexity to the level of "major" deities in Greek mythology. That's how they all started out, only assimilating into a pantheon, various local gods were assimilated along with the people into a larger culture. These cultural interactions were mythologized through stories about the gods (why do you think Zeus became the either the father or the lover of so many lesser deities? it was a way for the more powerful culture to permanently assert dominance).

Obviously it'll be different if the gods are objectively real, but it could play out similarly. the gods would influence their cities and play out in it's conflicts, whatever makes the most sense. But always, the god and the city are inextricably intertwined, as one so the other.
>>
>>49524463
the fact that it sounds like the places all use different languages combined with the fact that it seems very small makes it really confusing in terms of scale. if this is all one country the sames should sound like they belong to the same language.
>>
>>49524463
>It is detailed

>Places that should have related naming schemes have vastly different names

>No scale
>>
>>49524586
This could actually work really well, I had already planned for there to be only a handful of gunboats with almost all of them belonging to one man. Firearms would only be used regularly by the biggest kingdom to suppress the lower civilizations until civil war began and the rifles redistributed to many groups.
>>
>>49524631
You seem to be doing alright.

But, there's always the old "executioner sword", or a simple infantryman's weapon that's been reworked into a masterpiece (to commemorate a New Prince's humble beginnings, perhaps). Or the knife used to euthanise a saint of mercy.
>>49524672
>>49524689
Some places are like that. Look at the Baltics, look at any border regions.
>>
>>49524729
Balkans*
>>
>>49524729
sure, the baltic borders on like 6 or 7 countries so has places that sound like they're from 6 or 7 distinct but loosely related languages (except maybe finnish). that map has names that look egyptian, southeast asian, and norse inspired all in what seems to be the same area.
>>
>>49524657
>The three stripes of mountain ranges seem a little weird, depending on scale.

What do you mean?

>>49524672
Damara is a Celtic Britannia kind of culture, Meretsegerya is the dominant nation on the continent and it is the classic European medieval style kingdom with a Romanesque heritage, Funan is mostly consisting of the fishing folk and monks living in the mountains. Three human nations. Fenrir is the dwarven homeland. Heimdallr is the NOT-vikings. There are only dwarves, arctic dwarves, humans and mul on this continent. Also the seatouched but they are a subrace of humans with no phsyical difference.
>>
File: Various Eldanese Currency.png (75KB, 1914x458px) Image search: [Google]
Various Eldanese Currency.png
75KB, 1914x458px
>>49491047
I've been working on my setting's currency.

Thoughts?
>>
>>49524816
>>49524751
Slavic, Germanic, Romantic, Greek and Turkish. Come at me motherfucker.
>>
>>49524916
Looks believable & interesting enough. Have you considered non-monetary currencies?
>>
>>49524918
yeah i was talking about baltic sea not the balkans, still, having norse/southeast asian/north african names all in one area just doesn't seem like careful and effortful worldbuilding to me sorry. the map is an entire continent though so the point is moot.
>>
>>49524981
It seems like really good worldbuilding to me. Those kinds of clusterfucks are always the best parts of any world, especially for RPGs.
>>
>>49524946
I have, I wanted the Woltch to have something like that. Any suggestions?

The Svaelisch will have mostly currencies from other nations - they raid a lot - but their own currency will be rare metals
>>
>>49524981
It depends on the effort taken to explain how a cultural potpourri like that can come into formation, so as always it comes down to a matter of presentation and deployment.
>>
File: 6008-004-6975037B.jpg (189KB, 564x370px) Image search: [Google]
6008-004-6975037B.jpg
189KB, 564x370px
>>49525015
it seems like throwing a bunch of shit on a wall to me. the idea of having lots of different cultures near each other is fine, but i'm talking about that specific map.

if we wanna continue the balkan comparison, lets actually look it.

this is what a language/cultural gradient looks like. you can see how the names of the places slowly change as they pass through different but related languages.

having three or four names on a map with names that sound absolutely nothing like each other does not really communicate that kind of nuanced feel and it doesn't suggest any interesting history. if you wanna communicate that it's a clusterfuck with actual history you need to at least put more names on the map so you can see how they group together how that grouping suggests a movement of people over time.
>>
>>49525064
Better to tie it to something extremely Woltchish. Like Church talismans if they're quasi-theocratic, or cattle if they're pastoral tribesmen, or bullets if they're more modern tribesmen.
>>
File: Map(7).jpg (967KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Map(7).jpg
967KB, 1024x768px
>>49524554
better now?
>>
>>49524916
Is 9 bushels a lot? That seems low for a pure gold coin, but I don't know much about medieval agriculture.
>>
>>49525083
yeah, i agree with that.
>>
File: Capture.png (1MB, 874x646px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
1MB, 874x646px
>>49525086
I kind of agree with that. It requires serious work on the history to justify the names. This setting was something I created 11 years ago. I just found in an old notebook. I was around 14 years old at that time. I just decided to digitally remake it and actually update it to 5E and run to some players.

Pic related is the map I found.
>>
>>49525083
Don't forget effect. Thoughtful consequences of a cultural shitshow are more important than what made it so shit, though that is still important.
>>49525086
Still possible: good for colonial nations, for example. Transvaal right next to Zululand or whatever. Or, you could have a new empire (or an old one in the middle of rising nationalism) suddenly rename all its old provinces, to make them more nationally pure. Or the opposite, a new nation with a new identity rising out of the old empire. Having sharp clashes in culture is perfectly conceivable.

And, in any case, the map is about the least important part of a world (though what it depicts is not).

Also, that's barely the Balkans.
>>
File: Eldanese History Chart Final.png (100KB, 1110x1096px) Image search: [Google]
Eldanese History Chart Final.png
100KB, 1110x1096px
>>49525106
Water buffalo! Yes, thank you. I like the idea

>>49525114
The gold that the Imperials have is actually a lot. It is not extremely valuable, like they find the platinum coins to be from the Wuati. The current going rate for 9 bushels of barley, which is roughly 430 pounds, is a single gold zet. It was much steeper in the past, but the higher production of food in the setting's past century means the barley and other grains lost value
>>
>>49525086
>>49525204
Maybe the island/continent was initially colonized by several competing groups several hundred years ago?
>>
>>49525086
If we want to consider things in terms of a "language/cultural gradient" then simply using English translations of countries is a very shallow perspective that doesn't even begin to start addressing the notions of conlangs or language evolution.

If you actually wanted to look at it, you should probably be telling us how Cyrillic, Romana, and Turkish influences mesh with one another, and how the three languages influence the nomenclature and behavior of the people in the region.
>>
File: 1451703469896.png (127KB, 384x367px) Image search: [Google]
1451703469896.png
127KB, 384x367px
>>49525112
Looks great! 10/10, would canoe down those rivers.
>>
>>49525274
This is what makes most sense and what I have in mind. The dwarves are already a seperate race. For the humans the Meretsegeryans are from a certain group of people who settled the island, Funan people arrived at a later date and they have an ancestry mingled with a Sea race I have in this setting. The natives would be the Damarrans who are the minority now in their own lands and stay mostly in their swamp/forested areas and others are usually afraid to wander too much there.

For the scale, how big do you imagine that continent to be when you first look at it? About the size of Britain or bigger? I think it is almost the size of France.
>>
>>49525363
I thought of Sicily myself, but it could easily be France. Or anything in between, or smaller.
>>
>>49525297
i didn't explain the entire linguistic history of the balkans in a 4chan post with the first image i grabbed off google, my bad. the point is to show that many different cultures can exist in a small area, but even when they do there are just not going to be as different as norse/african/southeast asian are, and there is going to be some kind of gradient between them unless the settlement happened very recently or it's some kind of postmodern world. even just talking about alphabets, much of the balkan (or caucasian since we are talking about a black sea map) and slavic language/script, even all the way to the kartvellian script in georgia, is either uses cyrillic script or is related to greek in some way, so you would be able to see the influences there.

>>49525297
>>49525238
yeah guys this entire discussion was predicated on the original image of the map looking like a small island. it's an entire continent. it's moot.

if you want to create a world with a complicated history of culture clash, you need more than one name from each culture so you can start to get an idea of what's going on. i'm not saying you can't have dutch/african names beside each other, but that you need to flesh things out before it seems believable rather than just looking like you grabbed random cool sounding names for your rpg and throwing them on a map.
>>
>>49525582
>i'm not saying you can't have dutch/african names beside each other, but that you need to flesh things out before it seems believable rather than just looking like you grabbed random cool sounding names for your rpg and throwing them on a map.

You do realize that this is basically a given for anything posted on /wbg/ right? Even most maps that are "well done" are only representations of shallow worldbuilding at best.
>>
Have an idea for a BBEG in a western game. Slovakian immigrant loses his family to renegade Native Americans and goes postal by learning how to shoot and wrangling together a group of babdits.

In his haste to defile everything they have, he pisses off ancestor spirits which attempt to curse him. Through sheer force of will he subverts even these spirits but in the struggle becomes half-living, half-dead.

Basically becomes a cowboy lich, ghost rider minus the fire. His guns have pretty much the exact same effect as a death touch and while on the hunt or recovering, can devour nature spirits and use burial mounds as quick travel from place to place.

Sort of supposed to represent the worst in the cycle of revenge anfld may be the driving force of the party to keep moving from town to town, lest Radomir Petrovic catch up.
>>
>>49525824
ok
>>
>>49525112
I also want to add other lands and continents but how can I do it easily? Should I do them seperately on inkarnate and then mix in paint? any ideas?
>>
>>49525782
>You do realize that this is basically a given for anything posted on /wbg/ right?
yeah, of course. but putting six or seven names on a map is subpar even for /wbg/, which actually has some good stuff posted now and then. and the guy asked for feedback, so i gave it.
>>
File: mep.png (1MB, 4106x3369px) Image search: [Google]
mep.png
1MB, 4106x3369px
the more work I do, the more incomplete it becomes
>>
>>49526288
Well done man, it looks pretty fucking cool. You could spend years playing D&D on something this size and still not explore half of it.
>>
>>49526288
now that's a fuckin' world
>>
>>49501748
You'd have to specify what exactly you mean by "immortal", as the term has become more vague than it ought to be.

Do they age?

Can they be killed by force, i.e will they shrug off 200 stabs in the gut?

Can they be killed by disease?

Can they get cancer?

If they can be wounded, do they heal faster than normal? How severe of a wound can they heal? Could they regrow entire organs or limbs?

Do they need to eat?*

Do they need to breathe?*

Do their memories decay over time?

Do they "mentally age"?

Are they naturally immortal, or did they achieve it through some process?

Can they have children?
Would their children be immortal?

If you cut them up to the extent that they were basically particulate soup, what would happen?
>>
>>49505767
Giants will sometimes bind mammoth tusks to their forearms.

Dwarves have this thing that's basically a continuous blade with a point at both ends, used and held like a staff. It's used in formal combat for settling disputes. But I'm not sure that it counts as it's understood and in fact designed to be impractical in-setting.
>>
>>49513354
Yeah, working on an over the top one. Aliens invaded, the machines rose up, demons starting popping up everywhere, and zombies have risen from their graves and formed into a hivemind, all at the same time, and humans are caught in the middle.

Players were in a metal band before the apocalypse, and each class is associated with what instrument/part they played. Obviously silly but it's just for a non-serious campaign my friends and I want to run.
>>
>>49526288
>the more work I do, the more incomplete it becomes
that's how it goes. When my friends and I first started being interested in TT, I figured I'd just make a "quick" setting for our game. That was 10 years ago, I haven't talked to half of them in the past year nor played any more than a one off of any sort of TT, and I'm still working on the setting at least a few hours a week. There's always more to flesh out, more bad ideas I need to get around to retconning, more placeholders I need to remove, more gaps to fill.

At a certain level I think the compulsion, and the enjoyment therein, to worldbuild is pathological. It goes beyond mere escapism or the desire to play god.
>>
>>49524463
As some have pointed out the river splitting as it do is perhaps a bit unusual.

One thing that's kinda rubs me the wrong way is the size of the names, when you have such a small map to plaster the name of regions (countries?) over everything makes it really hard to read.

Perhaps indicate some borders or something?
>>
>>49526288
what's the culture of Far Morunock like?
>>
>>49526883

>desire to play god
>pathological

Jesus Christ, I can't describe how things like these trigger me.
Stop being ashamed of the things you like.
>>
>>49526288
What program?
>>
>>49527222
Intentionally vague and obscure, I only talk about it through the way that foreigners inaccurately view it since there's so little contact. Somewhat inspired by "Begotten". They are roughly past the Bronze Age and they live in city-states ruled by tyrannic god-emperors. An overwhelming majority of the population is enslaved, although many take it as an honor. Foreigners know it only as a land of suffering and immorality where life has no value. Their ridiculously expansive and inconsistent religion that has been ripped apart and rewritten by every priest ever, each one claiming his version to be correct. Everything is viewed in religious terms and perfectly normal occurrences are given deep explanations by the eccentric priests and slaves.

The people are racially diverse, the most prominent being labelled as "purples", "ashskins", and "albinos" by foreigners however the Farfolk recognize far more races. Mutations and abominations are extremely common. Foreigners are unlikely to get far without being cannibalized or sacrificed. Most of the people who travel there have malicious intentions, as the Farfolk have enough gold to nullify its value entirely if they were to open up trade. The architecture is somewhat Sumerian or Aztec or Egyptian and most of their architecture serves no purpose.

So generally, a pit of suffering covered in strange monuments where cannibal slaves perpetually take hallucinogens before their young deaths. It would never be shown in any campaign or work so it can be left at that.

>>49527494
paint dot net, took a few hundred hours
>>
>>49527268
cosign on this.
>>
>>49527268
>>49527533
I never said I was ashamed of it. I'm not.

The desire to do it to the extent that I and others do it is just strange to me. Is it not?
>>
>>49527818
It isn't that strange. People want to create things for the sake of having things that are theirs, in a world that otherwise tells them that nothing belongs to them.
>>
File: 1398351217457.gif (3MB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
1398351217457.gif
3MB, 320x180px
>>49527968
>spend entire life reading about other people's settings, exploring other people's worlds, watching other people's stories
>tfw you create a personal world that dynamically generates its own stories
>>
>>49527968
Creating things is not what's strange.

>People want to create things for the sake of having things that are theirs, in a world that otherwise tells them that nothing belongs to them
Speak for yourself
>>
So I'm making a Weird West setting featuring an Indian/Mormon inspired culture moving west and settling new and very strange magical lands.

Sound interesting enough? I don't have too many other details worked out beyond the clockwork robot people who are all religious (because they only have a soul because God had to give them one) and the sneaky star Worshipping Russian Jews good with magic trying to weasel into the new lands. Any ideas?
>>
>>49529731
Remember, the West was full of chink peasants to build the railroads and brought their opium and sinister oriental religions with them.
>>
>>49526442
Alright, mostly unaging beyond the 22-45 cycle. Backed up with a level of medical science (and drone coverage) that any wound that isn't immediately fatal/braindeath inducing is probably fixable. 200 stabwounds in the gut would probably do the trick, but their current bodies are what happens when someone who likes playing SupCom defensively gets told to 'make a human body that's still human, primarily, but also a fucking bastard to kill. Here's a pile of gene-sciences and moderately invasive implant technologies'.
>>
File: thissarahbeta.png (1MB, 3608x3913px) Image search: [Google]
thissarahbeta.png
1MB, 3608x3913px
First hexographer map, still WIP- I need to do tile variation and stuff like that or it'll bother me.

I have a few questions:

How did I do with landmass shape?
Is the elevation okay / believable?
What about the desert bit on the left side?
How do I do rivers, here? I have no idea where to start.

I also have no idea what to do with that northern bit and filled it up with grassland to maybe tundra-ize it later.

Before you ask, yes, the huge river valley leading up to that rough city outline is essential.
>>
>>49531161
It looks like a lumpen root vegetable. Add some bays or fjords or peninsulas or secondary islands or something, as it stands now the outline is staggeringly fucking boring.

Desert is fine, but as deserts generally form in the rain shadows of mountains its placement would imply the wind blows 'right-to-left'. Keep that in mind when you're adding in more details.
Likewise, most if not all rivers would be coming down off the mountains to the right.

Elevation... well, as far as I can tell you have exactly three elevations there. Is that a plateau? A single huge mountain? A range? Add more detail, deeper browns for higher elevation or something. Is it volcanic?
>>
>>49531356
Hexographer has three elevations total.
>>
>>49531659
Can you not fuck around with coloration or topographic lines?
>>
>>49531833
I dunno. I never had to deal with that, working at a huge scale only. You could proxy stuff though.
>>
File: CoWQvTXW8AA3g92.jpg (131KB, 700x980px) Image search: [Google]
CoWQvTXW8AA3g92.jpg
131KB, 700x980px
Worldbuilding is easy enough but how often does your setting reflect the theme of your narrative? Are the fantastical elements of your world externalizations of the theme and mood? Is magic there just for show or does it say something about the narrative? Are elements of your setting metaphors or symbols to the story?
>>
>>49532671
Nah, it's just there for the cool spectacle before everyone get eaten by satanic zombies.
>>
>>49532671
The setting can only reflect the theme of my "narrative", so long as I haven't been blindly cargo-culting my way. But, a lot of it is deliberated, if that's what you mean.

Many fantastical elements boil down to the theme of subjectivity, or objectivity versus subjectivity. Dragons arise from the thoughts of objective mountains &c., for example. This is also how some magic works; it is a constant war with the "real" world. And of course you can apply the real to the unreal applied to the real. But that first real isn't really real.

No metaphors or symbols, however. Well, nothing more than imagery. The RAT-PAC are described as rats and Solarans as bulls, but there's no hidden meaning.
>>
>>49531356
>lumpen root vegetable
snort

okay, yeah, I can see that. The general outline's there for a reason, but I can totally see that.

Is the rivers thing simply because all the rain's going into the mountains from the east?

That's a mountain range; I just haven't done variation on the tiles yet.

>select all images with Mountains
Thanks, Captcha.
>>
>>49519919
Not a native german speaker, but I'm dutch so I'm semi fluent. I'll just tell which names I'm not really a fan of and another suggestion for it.

Klugwolf: Kludolf, Kudolf. Don't really like the gw there.
Immerkerze: Imkirche, Immerlicht (kirche = church, licht=light)
Engelzorn: Engelgrim(m). Means the same, not a fan of Zorn since english people like you (i assume) will probably pronounce it wrong.
Aurikrone: sounds like a mixture of german and latin to me, I'd go for Graukraune (gruesome/vengefull/grey crown)
Eisendarm: Iron intestines really doesn't sound as cool in german as in english, and darm is associated with shit. Steinherz/Steinmag (stone heart/stomach) maybe?

There's also a lot of Eisen (iron) in there: some of it is good and if it has an elevated cultural meaning I'd recommend you keep it, but it's a little monotonous. Maybe replace some of it with other strong materials? Suggestions:
Stein: stone
Rock: rock
Messing: bronze
Ketten: chain(mail)
Fest: firm/hard
>>
can i get feedback on a small concept for my world?

there are 7 demon lords (vaguely associated with the 7 deadly sins but not hard on that)
Each of which has a unique set of abilities and beliefs about the world. They don't actually exist other than lesser demons trying to fit the description best they can and at any one time there might be 50 demon lords of lust all trying to out smut eachother
>>
File: map.png (2MB, 1500x850px) Image search: [Google]
map.png
2MB, 1500x850px
>>49524916
If you're going for a dutch-like impression on the "Woltch" civ, which seems to be happening seeing the classic ui and ij, you could use some help with the names. I could help you if you want, as a native dutchie.

>>49534389
I love the idea of them not actually existing, good concept desu
>>
>>49534007
thanks a lot for the feedback, i really appreciate it.

>Klugwolf
i changed that to ludwolf since i posted the pic so that's covered

>Immerlicht
that's funny, i actually had it as immerlicht before, so i'll change that one back.

>Engelgrim(m)
i like that, i'll go ahead and change it to that

>Aurikrone
yeah, i did mix german and latin for that one which is probably bad. i was looking at grau- actually but i wanted a meaning opposite to her epithet, so i'll find something else.

>Eisendarm
ah yeah, i see what you mean. i meant it like "irongut" but i guess it translates more to "ironbowel" which is definitely not good, haha.

>Eisen-
the reason i have that is because all of those emperors are from the same house/family so it's become a tradition for them to start their imperial name with eisen-.

>other suggestions
those are good, i'll keep them in mind. thanks again!
>>
>>49529731
Star worshippers? Astrology now works. But only indirectly - sure, the filthy jew can call down a curse in the street, but he's never going to be flinging fire balls. use Joshua Graham from NV as the inspiration for your mormans.
>>
Bump. Let's not waste the thread.
>>
>>49538857
>he says, having contributed nothing
Post a problem you have with your world or something.
>>
>>49538882
I was out. But, anyway, how farmable is your average steppe? And how to make it more farmable with miracles of primitive science? Is there a way?
>>
So I'm working on a setting set within the next half century or so. The premise is that a new energy source is found within the next decade, and the world starts rapid development of it over 30 years or so, adopting the new source and building power plants, until they cause an overload and a chain reaction cause them all to blow up, leaving holes in reality. I have Europe, the US, and China-Japan covered in the effects of the aftermath, but I'm not sure about regions like the Middle East and the India subcontinent. I was originally thinking Dubai would be a location for a rift to form, but then I started wondering how the effect of a new power source would affect the Oil Barons.
>>
I have a religion where there are two gods, who the followers call the siblings or Brother and Sister (to avoid implications of incest. The gods themselves are like two different aspects of the same thing). Now, for plot reasons (aren't those the best), I want the Sister have a bear as sacred animal, but can't think of a good reason. Also, Brother would have a sacred animal as well.

A bit more info on this duality would help I guess.

In the beginning, there was nothing but divine essence. "One day" (implying time), from this essence two personalities spring forth, Brother and Sister. They experience the void, and find it unworthy. So together they create the universe. And then, they populate the universe with life. This life is flawed, however, because it has no divine essence. And the problem is that material life can not survive holding divine essence. So instead, they guide humanity, and upon death, the non-divine souls are either judged to have lived well and granted a bit of their divinity . If they lived like shit, their souls are banished to the void in isolation, until the next cycle where they will be reborn. If it was a mediocre soul, they will be instantly reborn in the current cycle, though at a lower "rank" (a karmalike thing).

The "quantity" of divine essence is limited however. At one point, the Siblings will have used up all their essence (which also explains why intervention/miracles decrease over time), and the divine human souls are given a choice. Either meld with the Siblings again, who now absorb the human souls as part of them, or be stripped of divinity and live a new life.

But yeah, sacred animals. What of em eh?
>>
>>49539131
Without oil, Saudi Arabia, Kuwait etc. would likely collapse almost entirely. Lots of wars and nobody would even pretend to care since there's no oil anymore. No chance in hell they'd be able to afford fancy new power plants- they'd be struggling to afford food.
Which, depending on how big the holes made in the universe are, might ironically result in them becoming some of the least devastated areas of the globe.
>>
>>49540012
That's what I started thinking. The meltdowns and holes are devatating, but its mostly the invasions that came through that did the most damage.
>>
>>49539047
Potatoes.
>>
>>49491089
Stars and Planets are just demi-planes created by the Gods or other similarly powerful spellcasters.

Creatures from these planes were created when the plane was.

Magic and the direct intervention of a God.

It varies. Mortals can pray for something like a Fury to come down from Not!Mars and whip someone's shit, but whether they do or not really depends.
>>
How do you guys come up with names for your continents, worlds, regions etc? Are the names based on your in-world cultures or were they made up before? I am having a hard time coming up with a good name for the universe and the main world.
>>
>>49540667
I don't bother with naming things that aren't really relevant to the (relatively narrow) cultural context I'm focusing on. For an example, I never bothered with coming up with names for continents of my world (simply named them A-E), or for the planet or the "world" or system it takes place in, simply because none of that is really relevant to the specific few cultures and the specific few hundred years I'm focusing on.

As for local toponymi, I mostly try to figure out extended cultural or historical background for the names: I ask myself who came up with the name and what culture was he from, what real-world-language was the langue of that culture inspired by, why did that particular name stick around to become common: generally I try to make each and every name tell a little story about the world and its history.
It's not an easy process through, which is why a LOT of the nomenclature I use is still placeholder.
>>
>>49539047
>But, anyway, how farmable is your average steppe?
It's not. That is what makes it a steppe: it lacks water to be sufficiently farmable, it can only feed basic grass. Which is why all steppe cultures were semi-nomadic or nomadic herders or hunters and gatherers.

You can hardly make it more fertile with "miracles of primitive science". Some irrigation systems might help but not much, and the main problem is still going to be "where the fuck do you get the water for the irrigation in the first place".
>>
>>49540667
I haven't made any conlangs yet, so I just pick a flavor language and use words from that.
>>
All cultures would have a different name for each of the continents in my world; should the one who found them all first (i.e. the first somewhat complete worldmap) decide what they are called?
>>
File: hammak 2.jpg (110KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
hammak 2.jpg
110KB, 500x375px
Would it be viable for a race physically similar to the Mystics from TDC which is very slow but physically hardy (and capable of carrying a lot) to wear long spikes on their back armor, designed to stop strikes from behind as they can hardly turn?

I assume that they'd use spears to make up for their slowness as well.
>>
>>49491089
The White Sun and Black Moon (essentially a Nega-Sun) as well as other planes have a scientifically inaccurate orbit of the campaign's main planet. A somewhat recent dimension by the cosmology's standards envelops the world and is separated by a thin membrane.

99% of the existing populations are native to their planets.

It's now completely impossible, except for between the main planet and the new dimension it houses. There are places where holes have been punched through reality, or you can try opening a new one.

For most- a few sprinklings of genetics and very rare super ancient historical artifacts. The energies of the mirroring dimension have a warping effect, with some creatures passing through the veil. A few godlike entities with agendas contact and direct mortal minds.
>>
So you guys think the idea of hacking becoming so prevalent a threat warfare had to regress in tech is an ok idea?
>>
>>49534457
Yes, yes I would. I guess some Dutch-like words for cattle, cows, and other livestock would help. I like the idea of them equating their currency to the value of cattle rather than the metals mined by their neighbors.

Also, what did the Dutch use for naming their rulers? I'm not sure if they ever did like their neighbors had
>>
>>49541561
If we're discounting magical idiocy, I'd say that they would favor a turtle type approach. Heavily armored and with a pavise that they could lock together to pull the 'closing the wagon train' bit and then relying on something like a crossbow that would let them use their strength without needing to be particularly fast.
>>
File: Garlic Gas Production.png (277KB, 5480x988px) Image search: [Google]
Garlic Gas Production.png
277KB, 5480x988px
>>49543991
Ehhhhhhh, I'm not sure regression is ever a solid idea for the ENTIRE conflict. Maybe in a small case within a single battle. But dropping years of advancement to confuse your still advanced and hacking enemy seems... kind of asinine. Not impossible though. After all, fantasy is what YOU want it to be. Have fun with it.

My setting involves an entirely new chemistry system. You think that anyone with a mild chemistry background is going to pick it apart? You're damn right they will. Do I care? Only slightly. It's a fantasy setting and that means it could have iron be as light as feathers for all intended purposes. My biggest concern is the currency >>49524916 of the setting at the moment. I just make it as believable as I feel it needs to be, then move on
>>
An ancient empire fell to a "natural" (magical) disaster, leaving only one small island off the mainland to preserve its culture. Through revolution, upheaval, and turmoil it has carried on the culture of the fallen empire, though only a minuscule portion of what it once was.

r8 its flag (its oriented like a banner, but could easily be made a square)
>>
File: 1.png (18KB, 1000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1.png
18KB, 1000x1500px
>>49544411
forgot pic LMAO
>>
>>49544411
Trips and dubs is making me respond... where is it?
>>
>>49544421
Okay, from >>49544430, I like the color scheme but does the symbol have meaning? I get the impression from the X that they are crossing out the target. Are they trying to say "Don't fuck with us, we are not something to aim for when you attack"??
>>
>>49544451
at the moment, no--i did it entirely for its aesthetics (so if it isn't aesthetic, let me know)

however i did plan to give the symbol some meaning in the future, probably something to do with peace, the earth, prosperity, etc

or even just a highly primitive coat of arms/crest that was adopted by the first emperor
>>
>>49544421
Good aesthetics.
>>
>>49544477
Your ability to pull trips and dubs in uncanny, may your post-Imperial flag wave high above the corpses of vanquished barbaric foes
>>
>>49524346
Either a sword that is super functional or super ornamental. The people who see the person should know: oh shit, he uses THAT weapon..."

The reverse should be true. "Oh shit, it's THAT weapon... I know who uses that."
>>
>tfw looking back at baby's first setting
>tfw it's fantasy cliches and "dude how's geography work"
>why was i ever like this
>>
File: thissarahbeta2.png (2MB, 3608x3913px) Image search: [Google]
thissarahbeta2.png
2MB, 3608x3913px
>>49531161
>>49531356
>>49533598
I tried to break it up a little, made that huge upper portion more consistent with the rest of the continent(it weirded me out) added a single major river, carved out some islands, made a gulf, made a bay.

Gulf's gonna have a story important thing in it.

Still need to do variance.

Upper portion is deadlands and swamplands, the deadlands are also slightly lore significant. I'm not sure if the swamps are placed realistically, but it's almost 11:00 and I should've stopped working almost 50 minutes ago.
>>
>>49545024
Looking good. What's the scale? That is looking like one huge-ass river and I want to know exactly how huge-ass it is.
>>
>>49545078
I'd bet on fucking huge/10. I didn't start this with a set scale in mind, but 1 hex = 5 is probably a good place to start.

>1=5
>that river is 10 miles across in places

Am I retarded?
>>
>>49545139
>HUGE
>ASS
>RIVERS
>>
>>49545139
that's like a medium sized lake, nigga, you best scale that shit down
>>
File: now_its_a_sea.png (88KB, 738x520px) Image search: [Google]
now_its_a_sea.png
88KB, 738x520px
>>49545159
>>49545154
Aaahaha, nobody can stop me now!
>>
>>49545180
That would actually be an interesting geological formation- a river twenty miles wide and an inch deep.
>>
>>49545205
wouldnt that just be soon-to-be-groundwater
>>
>>49545218
Or a swamp
>>
>>49546570
This, actually. On the side of the current, the deposite buildups wound constantly block the currents, causing the river to meander and form dozens of cut-off regions, dead arms and ponds, while the slowing of the current on the sides would cause pressure in the middle of the current, where the water would wash away the basin and deepen the riverbed: over just a few centuries, the river would change into a conventional lowland river valley similar to say, the lower current of Volga or Yellow River: wide, but deeper riverbed surrounded by marshlands and swamps.
>>
What would a wizard book store be like, /wbg/?
I can't think of any settings that have gone into detail about wizarding tomes and grimoires.
>>
>>49548431
How long is a piece of string?
>>
File: Viking assault.jpg (978KB, 1920x884px) Image search: [Google]
Viking assault.jpg
978KB, 1920x884px
>>49545180
Have fun when a fleet of vikings can fit their entire armada all the way up that thing...
>>
>>49539861
Yeah, what of em anon??
>>
>>49548738
As opposed to those other major rivers that just completely stumped them?
>>
File: Mount and Borcha.png (1MB, 809x1250px) Image search: [Google]
Mount and Borcha.png
1MB, 809x1250px
>>49548976
Hey, when they signed up for the raiding there was no minimum IQ requirements. Just brawny arms and the amounts of skulls you've drank from
>>
So I need to fill my high fantasy world with races, I need some ideas beyond the standard fare. I already have
Humans (4 subraces)
Elven (3 subraces)
Dwarven (2 subraces)
Bestial/Demi-Human/Draconian

Last one having 6 races, but I'm thinking maybe giving each race 2 subraces. I don't have any insect or lizard races mostly because I'm not big on either in real life
>>
>>49549184

I'm designing a race of neanderthal-like creatures that inhabits not!Africa. They're basically early humans mixed with various other hominids and some other influences. Would that fall into your category of bestials?
>>
File: 2b3fe818a551b26959db1fe7288da82a.jpg (479KB, 1131x986px) Image search: [Google]
2b3fe818a551b26959db1fe7288da82a.jpg
479KB, 1131x986px
>>49549184
Maybe an intelligent beach-dwelling sea people? Something snail or turtle-like maybe.
>>
>>49549184
Maybe a race that operates like dolphins do. A mix of mermaids, sirens, and dolphins to produce a sentient race of tool creating sea creatures. Not sure what they'd look like though. Then again... the sailors mistook manatees for beautiful topless women, so their looks might vary depending how drunk the sailors are
>>
>>49549532
Except disregard all those species and replace them with squid/octopus.
>>
File: shy cuttlefish.webm (467KB, 720x404px) Image search: [Google]
shy cuttlefish.webm
467KB, 720x404px
>>49549699
>Squid
>Octopus

D-don't forget m-me...
>>
>>49549699
Squid waifus... I've seen enough hentai to know where this is going
>>
>>49501539
Where do I find more of this artwork? Image search yielded more dinosaurs
>>
>>49549699
An Illithid race does sound tempting
>>
>>49549792
>fapping to kids
fucking disgusting
>>
Is it possible to have a river that floods predictably in one area and erratically in another? I'm working on a bronze age near-east setting, where the lower portion of the river is home to a more stable, sophisticated Egyptian-style civilization where agriculture is fairly stable, and the uplands are more rough, rocky, and suffer from unpredictable floods that keep the land livable. Does this make any sort of sense?
>>
>>49550874

Sure. Rough rapids that has cut into the tough landscape over the millennia before reaching the lowlands doesn't sound farfetched. Add some underground lakes inside mountains, fuled by melted glacier water and spring floods to your setting, perhaps a dash of *unknown weather patterns* and possibly some ~divine intervention~ if that is your thing.
>>
File: Wrath.jpg (285KB, 519x642px) Image search: [Google]
Wrath.jpg
285KB, 519x642px
I've tried re-building a world for Hardsuit

History
>Colonists arrive at planet
>Only a portion of the colonists and their tech make planetfall
>Only a portion of the planet is terraformed. Its atmosphere is made semi habitable
>Colonists rely on their environmental suits which over time become essential pieces of equipment
>Colonys grow to become countries
>Over time EV Suits degrade and the replacement designs lose their universality, becoming disparate Hardsuits
>Colony ships and its tech are still in orbit, occasionally caches fall back down
>Countries have started bickering over the contents and border skirmishes are commonplace

Environment
>Planet is A SHIT and requires protective gear to operate outdoors for extended periods of time
>Salt Flats
>Deserts
>Tiny Oasis of terraformed paradise
>Caustic Dust Storms
>Acid Rain
>Electrical Interferance
>Ground Crystals
>Huge ore deposits

Hardsuits
>Single Human Pilot assisted by an AI. AI is closer to an animal in intelligence
>Environmentally Sealed from the awful wasted lands
>Bipedal but can scoot around on knees or similar areas pads
>Minimum 5 metre tall Scouts Maximum 10 metre tall Superheavies
>Hardsuits are considered a cultural staple in all fields and the main combat vehicle for the sake of mechs at all

Sound ok? Areas to improve or reconsider?
>>
File: Steamboat.png (1MB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Steamboat.png
1MB, 1280x1024px
>Heavy industrialization and pollution has turned most of America into a humid swamp; many migrate to other countries

>This migration causes violent turmoil, and the rest of the world is caught up in violent wars, eradicating most of mankind.

>The world is consumed in smoke and fog from giant fortress-factories (toiling hard to support the work effort), obscuring the sun and rendering the atmosphere nigh unbreathable

> Most of the world is a sun-less, polluted waste-land

>Rednecks with laser muskets fire traverse the numerous bayous and marshes of America in steamboats, seeking to purge the land of mutated fauna
>>
>>49552482
5m seems tall for a minimum. I'd go with 3m, essentially powered armor.
>>
File: Not_Drake.png (16KB, 720x576px) Image search: [Google]
Not_Drake.png
16KB, 720x576px
>>49549843
>Where do I find more of this artwork? Image search yielded more dinosaurs

See: >>49511260

I have a work blog you can peek at or follow at your leisure: http://spaghettiart.tumblr.com/
>>
>>49552733
Yeah I was wondering about sizes, maybe multiple pilots for the larger hardsuits?
>>
File: disgust.jpg (59KB, 453x439px) Image search: [Google]
disgust.jpg
59KB, 453x439px
>>49552834
It was all good til I got to the sunflowers... I saw the NSWF warning but proceeded anyway. Guess I won't be eating dinner after all
>>
>>49491089
Humans originated in one of these worlds, but a catastrophy made their gods take them to their current world via a series of stone gates. Currently, there is no contact between the worlds.
>>
>>49553766
>Gods caring about their flock

It's refreshing to see that
>>
>>49553842
They DID leave shortly after since being in thier prescence was mutating humans into abominations, but they still have contact via priests and such
>>
File: BullyWug.png (121KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
BullyWug.png
121KB, 1080x1080px
>>49553613
>It was all good til I got to the sunflowers... I saw the NSWF warning but proceeded anyway. Guess I won't be eating dinner after all

You were warned, Anon.
>>
>>49548738
I mean, the city is run by angels, so...
>>
File: Campaign Map WIP 2.png (267KB, 2092x3172px) Image search: [Google]
Campaign Map WIP 2.png
267KB, 2092x3172px
Rate me
White is land, if it wasn't clear
>>
Riddle me this, /wbg/:
In a setting with magic that can perform minute repairs, could things like circuits, lightbulbs, hard drives and the like be maintained indefinitely? I'm looking for an explanation as to how it could work, rather than a simple yes/no.
>>
>>49557613
I mean, is the magic going to be the bridge for the electricity to cross and create heat energy (the glow)? If magic is going to give the light or power certain things then tech we use today would be... obsolete. Things could be maintained indefinitely but they would need to operate and me made differently
>>
Weird War 2 to overdone you guys?

Thinking about writing a little story about a russian family running through the forest from some nazi werewolves or maybe some SS vampires.
>>
>>49557688
I'm basically just asking if it's viable to explain repair magic as, like, targeting and repairing the tungsten in a lightbulb to greatly extend its life.
>>
>>49557719
Yes, it could. The bulb is old, you use magic to restore the filament within the bulb. Or the connecting wires between two circuits. Or whatever. Magic is magic bruv

>>49557701
Not at all. Concentration camps were just a way to gather tens of thousands of people into a single area to be food for the vampires. Despite being fed and having decent activity, they still rotted away from the constant feeding by SS vampires. Fucking krauts
>>
>>49557954

Not going that far with concentration camps anon.

Just wanted to bounce the idea off you guys. IF anything my vampires would be like the nachtjagers in konflikt 47. Beasts really.
>>
>>49557954
>Despite being fed and having decent activity, they still rotted away from the constant feeding by SS vampires.
Could have the excuse be that they eventually got to the point that their blood no longer contained sufficient nutrients to sustain themselves.
>>
>>49557998
Then have at it

>>49558035
Hence finding so many emaciated people. The great conspiracy of whether the holocaust happened at all is started by the government itself to steer people from knowing the actual truth... where's my tinfoil hat? This is going pretty far
>>
File: medieval cavalry combat2.jpg (183KB, 1446x1000px) Image search: [Google]
medieval cavalry combat2.jpg
183KB, 1446x1000px
>>49494528
Horse archers were assholes
>>
>>49557701
>[Anything at all] too overdone you guys?
No.
>>49556260
You've got nothing.
>>49557719
...Anon, do you know what "magic" is?
>>
>>49559810
Obviously >>49556260 isn't meant to be complete, I was asking how people would rate it as an outline
>>
>>49559913
I wouldn't rate it, because it's an outline. I mean, it looks kinda crap, but that's par for the course for anything that isn't hand-designed by a legit drawfag.
>>
>>49559913
Looks more land-heavy than Earth. What is that, 50% water? Absent magic, that would result in more and larger deserts.
>>
>>49559930 Could you be more specific?
>>49559933 It's only a portion of the planet, not the whole thing
>>
>>49559946
It looks like a messy, jagged clusterfuck. And, yeah, that can be realistic (though things aren't usually Scandinavia-tier crinkly all the way round), but it's bad from a design point of view.

All random generators are like that though (I'm assuming it's random, 'cause it looks like it).
>>
>>49559946
It was already assumed that it's only a portion of the planet, but it doesn't change the fact that the bodies of water are haphazardly tossed in, the "shoreline" is messy and in some places just outright bizarre (with almost 90 degree turns out of nowhere), The absolute lack of detail in terms of either topography, geographic locales, biomes, rivers, or anything means there's really nothing else to comment on.
>>
>>49560091
Spain Eastern Mediterranean &c.
>>
>>49560102
So you took the France/Spain coastal border and decided to replicate it over and over again?
>>
>>49559946
At this point the only thing to say that hasn't been said is that the quality of this map doesn't tell me anything about your campaign. A good map can be interesting in the sense that it draws viewers in with details and locations. It can be interesting in terms of geographical plot hooks that it presents. It can be interested because it is well done.

This map lacks all of those. It is literally just white, grey, and lines. If your audience is looking for that, by all means run with it. If realism is the only thing you are concerned with, you are better served copying a map from elsewhere. There is nothing here that suggests realism outside of "similar shapes and patterns".
>>
>itt: /tg/ is as toxic as usual
>>
Does anyone have a tool in order to make architect plans ? I need plans for two campaings, a mansion and an hospital...
>>
>>49560530
Yeah. Rhinoceros 3D and AutoCAD. Takes about a year and a half of intense studies to learn how to use them, though, so good luck with that.
>>
>>49560137
>you
I'm just pointing out it's not inherently unrealistic.
>>
>>49560558
Damn, but thanks for the heads-up anon
>>
>>49550681
Kids? The fuk yu talk nob?
>>
>>49560558
I learned AutoCAD in a day... And am actually ok at it....
>>
>>49564477
Show us, dub dubs
>>
>>49565158
I would, unfortunately my only computer atm is a circa 2001 dell with a Pentium 4 @2*2ghz and 512MB of RDRAM. Thoroughly underpowered for such tasks and barely capable of loading modern websites. As a DIY kind of person I like having plans for reference, and making my own is fun. I still prefer hand drafting over CAD though.
>>
>>49566229
M8 you don't need to make excuses for not showing CADians on a chinese knitting-noodle debate forum.
>>
>>49566229
What >>49566916 said
>>
>>49562728
It wasn't about realism. It was about it looking like shit. OP didn't ask to rate for anything specific, so saying it looks like shit is just telling it as it is.
>>
>>49567660
>saying it looks like shit is just telling it as it is.
I'll have you know that I was the person who first said it looked shit. I'm pretty certain that makes me important around here. It's not often you get to be the first guy to say something's shit.
>>
>>49566229
where do you live? should be pretty trivial to get a better computer than that nowadays.
>>
>>49505407
>dat aral sea
I fucking wish
>>
>>49567979
Yea, it will be once I job.
>>
>>49568010
More like the Aral Swamp
>>
>>49568723
Here, they have something like this available for less than $200
http://www.pcmag.com/review/346334/dell-inspiron-11-3000-series-3162
>>
File: medieval warcamp.jpg (1MB, 3000x2284px) Image search: [Google]
medieval warcamp.jpg
1MB, 3000x2284px
>>49494528
I know medieval warcamps got pretty sophisticated once they reached a certain size. Then again, they weren't meant to be something permanent unless you were besieging the enemy.

Or in Julius Caesar's case, both besieging and defending their own makeshift walls from Gallic reinforcements
Thread posts: 314
Thread images: 65

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.