[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How do you do dwarves well? Is the Gimli type of dwarf stale

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 189
Thread images: 44

File: female dorf.jpg (84KB, 360x350px) Image search: [Google]
female dorf.jpg
84KB, 360x350px
How do you do dwarves well? Is the Gimli type of dwarf stale nowadays? Is disdain for elves overplayed?
>>
I made them a slave race engineered and "owned" by the Elves, who use them for menial labor and crafting.
>>
>>49490997
I play dwarfs that hate elves from time to time. But mostly I play dwarves that are honorable, wish to be a prideful member of their clan and try to achieve grate deeds.

And fuck Irish accented dwarfs, I always thought the Italian attitude fitted them better.
>>
>>49491040
>Irish
glaikit cunts
>>
I am probably a little late, but this is my understanding of the legolas/gimli thing. iirc lotr was written not long after ww2 and the disdain would have been not unlike the sort of nationalism displayed between members of any nations at the time. It is also important to remember that gimli was also (at least in the movies) somewhat of a comedic character and his disdain for elves was at least partly gimli trying to increase his importance in the most important endevour in recent memory.
>>
In an effort to combat players running their characters as stereotypes, I changed things up a little bit. (Because, let's be honest, who hasn't encountered That One Guy who can't help but play every dwarf as the same Scots-accented, ale-swilling, uncontrollably violent, hair-trigger tempered, elf-hating axe-viking?)

So I took dwarves, gnomes, halflings, and goblins and I mashed them up and mixed them together and separated them back out into the two archetypes that you actually have these four races ordinarily represent:

1) Pastoral, somewhat magical, forest-dwelling fairy-tale dwarfs
2) Techno-savvy, gold-grubbing, tunnel-digging fairy-tale goblins

It's surprising just how different this feels from the standard Tolkien pastiche. Even though they really are just basically "hobbits" and "dwarves" under other names, it's the cultural affectations like pipeweed and furry feet and dwarven rune magic and "och, aye, laddie!" that the players actually pay attention to.
>>
gimli will never go stale, he is a reliable fallback when you cant get your gears going
>>
>>49490997
As far from being like the one in the image as possible.
>>
>>49492108
Just like dwarven bread.
>>
>>49490997
I play Dwarves as Greek and Elves as Turks
>>
>>49491100
Gimli being comic relief was just a movie thing. Peter Jackson fucked his character right in the ass desu. It's actually one of the big problems I have with the movie.

Also there are a lot of reasons Dwarves and Elves dislike each other, going back to the First Age.
>>
>>49492131
Yes.
It never runs out
>>
File: 1375302898695.jpg (35KB, 299x299px) Image search: [Google]
1375302898695.jpg
35KB, 299x299px
Muh glorious dwarven heritage!
>>
In my post-apocalyptic fantasy setting, dwarves were beings born from the very elements of storm, earth, metal, ice and fire, and so they were big masters of elementalism. Then they got into a war with the elves (fleshcrafting necromancers & plant-wizards from another planet) and they caused the apocalypse. Now the "pure" dwarves are a minority hiding themselves away, and the majority of dwarves you meet are either blatantly elemental (5e translated Forgeborn dwarves) or have turned into more fae-like magiteknecians - aka, rock gnomes.
>>
File: touch-fluffy-beard.png (268KB, 914x570px) Image search: [Google]
touch-fluffy-beard.png
268KB, 914x570px
A reminder that Tolkienian Dwarves were originally Jewish caricatures:
>Hairy, with beards
>Big noses
>Stout
>Greedy
>Legalistic
>Highly religious

Tolkien's dwarvish language was even based off Hebrew.
>>
>>49493211
>Highly religious
What?
The most religious moment I remember was when they begged Aulë not to stomp them.

Nobody in Arda was particularly religous if respecting and remembering their ancestors and whatnot doesn't count.
>>
Do dwarfs get along with Stone Giants?
>>
>>49493398
Do humans get along with regular giants?

If you were a giant slab of living stone would you get along with a rampant race of mine-o-holics with more pickaxes than braincells?
>>
>>49490997
>Is the movie version Gimli stereotype of dwarf stale nowadays?
Yes. Actual Tolkien dwarves, no.
>>
>>49493398
In my recent world I made the dwarves giants!
>>
>>49493458
Humans can get along well with Storm Giants.
>>
File: Untitled.png (28KB, 173x331px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
28KB, 173x331px
>>49490997
>tfw Japanese Dwarves are shotas & lolis
>>
File: Queen's blade dwarf elf jokes.jpg (113KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Queen's blade dwarf elf jokes.jpg
113KB, 1280x720px
>>49493501
lolis yes, shotas no.
>>
>>49493501
I prefer dwarves as buff manlets/short (maybe shortstack) muslegirls. The shota/loli look seems more appropriate to halflings to me.

(dammit, lost my pictures of young Chilchack from Dungeon Meshi.)
>>
>>49493534
I wish I saved a screenshot of the 12 year old dwarf arguing with his father from that show
>>
>>49493501
>>49493534
in fact sometimes they are pretty handsome
>>
>>49493547
I feel like this is the correct opinion to have.
>>
>>49492930
After a few years, it just runs away.
>>
>>49493501
all of nipland's contributions to fantasy creatures are shit to be honest, family.
>>
>>49493816
I prefer dog kobolds to lizard kobolds.
>>
>>49493560
Go take one. Presumably you remember roughly where it is?
>>
>>49490997
Like your picture, actually.
>>
>>49494013
Outbreak company had some funny moments, but not enough that I'd save it on my computer after watching it. Also no, but near the end of the season
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (67KB, 600x764px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
67KB, 600x764px
>>49493816
>tfw a miserable pile of secrets talks shit about you
>>
>>49494035
Gross.
>>
>>49492141

So both dwarven and elven women have beards then?
>>
>>49490997
What I'd like to see for a change are dwarves that don't live in mountain halls. Humans, elves and orcs alike have diverse habitats but dwarves are confined to mountains... somehow.

What habitat would their small stature be suited for, other than le ebin mountains?
>>
File: _90881241_gerbunkergetty17oct14.jpg (18KB, 624x351px) Image search: [Google]
_90881241_gerbunkergetty17oct14.jpg
18KB, 624x351px
>>49495148

Grumpy bunkers.
>>
>>49495148
Their low center of gravity may make them more comfortable on unstable footing; together with their strong stomachs they might be uniquely well suited to the rigors of seamanship.
>>
File: Glaumbaer.jpg (272KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Glaumbaer.jpg
272KB, 1024x768px
>>49495148

What if these dwarves lived in little hill houses just beneath the ground, and the hill houses had little round doors and windows and the dwarves really liked smoking pipes?
>>
>>49495148
Ant-like commie dwarves.
They dig in soil and go for large population.
>>
>>49495148
Honestly, in your standard D&D world I imagine the Dwarven lifestyle would be pretty common across all species. When you have to worry about dragons flying by and eating/burning everyone, undead hordes, goblins riding owlbears etc. moving all your shit into underground bunker complexes filled with traps and chokepoints would be mighty attractive.
Also a good explanation for where all the dungeons you're looting come from. Every town of any size would have its own dungeon for the same reasons towns in the midwest have tornado shelters, and if a village fails the dungeon gets left behind.
>>
>>49493211
The dwarvish language in Tolkien was based on Arabic and Spanish and used Norse inspired runes.
>>
>>49494094
castlevania dracula is literally the best dracula
he's a vampire archlich whose phylactery is an entire castle which has evolved from so many centuries of atrocities on its grounds to become an esoteric creature of chaos with a life and mind of its own, returning more twisted and alive every 50-100 years.
they eventually manage to kill dracula by seling the castle in another dimension before delivering the final blow, but they never did figure out how to kill the damn castle, which still keeps coming back to fuck with people, and his soul is still out there, looking for a successor
>>
>>49495205
but they're so dense, they sink like rocks
>>
>>49499012
Not going to argue with that. Castlevania Dracula WAS the best.

But I call bullshit on not being able to kill the castle. Sufficient amounts of fire and/or siege engines should do it, surely?
>>
>>49495148
Stereotypical dwarf:
>Stocky
>Horned helmet
>Beards
>Axes as the main weapon
>Obsession with alcoholic beverages
>Have large feasts with lots of meat
>Are known to value strength, and dislike those thy see as lacking
>Have Scandinavian accents
Dwarves are literally just ground Vikings. Just throw them on a boat and bam, dwarves in a whole "new" setting.
>>
>>49499103
at what point do you consider a building dead?
especially a building that likes to crumble by itself only to appear a century later on a spot that never had a castle on it before?
a non-eulcidian building made mostly or in part of ghosts, nightmares, and possibly infinite shoggoth guts?
the castle was such a bitch that they settled for just cutting off drac from it rather than trying to destroy it
>>
>>49493398
I like the idea of a cult of dwarves whose high priest is a Stone Giant that speaks to a sealed powered beneath the earth.
>>
>>49499160
That honestly sounds really fun, would play.
>>
File: moooode seeeeveeeen.gif (900KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
moooode seeeeveeeen.gif
900KB, 500x500px
>>49499103
>>49499171
we're talking about this castle, after all
>>
File: menace.jpg (352KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
menace.jpg
352KB, 1280x720px
>>49499221
and THIS castle
>>
>>49499160
>Ground Vikings
Now I'm imagining Dwarven raiders that tunnel to their targets, emerging into basements and cellars in the dead of night, striking and then vanishing into their labyrinthine networks where no 'skyling' can ever follow.
>>
>>49492126
>>49494096
>implying that acting dorfy wouldn't be the best thing
>>
>>49499221
>>49499238
Point taken, but I still stand that if your problem is not solved by fire, you simply need to apply MORE FIRE until you no longer have a problem.
>>
File: julius belmont.png (296KB, 559x527px) Image search: [Google]
julius belmont.png
296KB, 559x527px
>>49499283
spoken like a true vampire killer
>>
>>49496639
What about all the stuff that already lives underground and wants to loot/kill them?
>>
>>49499255
>They travel in massive drills they call "boats".
>Villages soon to be attacked by them are warned by a loud rumbling before a giant drill pops out of the town square and ground Vikings come pouring out to raid the entire village.
>>
File: 1464708433528.png (5KB, 240x160px) Image search: [Google]
1464708433528.png
5KB, 240x160px
>>49499283
Considering what happens to most people who try, it would probably make the situation worse.
>>
File: The_Island.gif (2KB, 160x240px) Image search: [Google]
The_Island.gif
2KB, 160x240px
>>49499360
sky dungeon
>>
>>49499360
That's why you have traps and chokepoints everywhere instead of just at the entrances.
>>49499396
Also this.
>>
>>49499396
Now you're back to square one with dragons and shit.
>>
File: kjdnfg.jpg (1MB, 1322x1056px) Image search: [Google]
kjdnfg.jpg
1MB, 1322x1056px
>>49499417
space dungeon?
>>
>>49499449
Then you have to deal with astro-liches and their space ziggurats.
>>
>>49499466
metaphyiscal concept dungeon?
they'll never find you there!
no pic, because the dungeon is in your mind!
>>
>>49499517
Now you have to deal with the horrors of your own mind.
>>
File: Unspeakable.png (82KB, 433x434px) Image search: [Google]
Unspeakable.png
82KB, 433x434px
>>49499567
>>
File: enigma.gif (720KB, 324x243px) Image search: [Google]
enigma.gif
720KB, 324x243px
>>49499567
IS THERE NO SAFE PLACE?
>>
>>49499593
Well, a dungeon is safe once it no longer exists, but that kind of defeats the purpose, doesn't it?
>>
>>49499593
You'll just have to make one.
With rampant, unchecked, nonstop murder.
>>
>>49499689
And how do you expect to prevent the dungeon being destroyed by the end of the universe?
>>
>>49499517
How does one even do a metaphysical dungeon in a real game?
>>
>>49490997
I have matriarchial dwarves in my setting, though everything else is relatively the same and there's none of the drow-tier shenanigans (in fact, the worst thing you can call a female dwarf in power is the Drow word for Matriarch because of the implications involved).
Hairstyle is important and denotes rank, especially in women, though men are expected to pay attention to their beards in the same way. Insulting a dwarf's hair is tantamount to spitting in their face, and though there's no penalty for men being clean-shaven on their chin (though it's either required by their work or considered cross-dressing depending on circumstances) having a truly bald head (usually accompanied by tattoos) is basically a declaration someone is a criminal.
>>
>>49499879
Lich with an imaginary phylactery guarded by a metaphysical dungeon. Could make for a trippy campaign.
>>
>>49490997
>mfw everyone claims the modern dwarf stereotype is gimli
>MFW he never touched a drink in the books
>MFW he was silver tongued and claimed the heart of one of the highest elves to ever live.
>MFW he spoke from his heart about the beauty of the deep places of the world.
>MFW forever people will think of gimli,modt noble dwarf as a drunk grumpy little piece of comedic relief because of a shitty movie.

Wherever the modern dwarf sterostype came from it was most certainly not LOTR,this is a stupid meme.
>>
>>49499981
Bonus points: the imaginary phylactery and accompanying brain is /inside/ the brain of one of the PCs.
>>
>>49499160
DnD dwarves yes. Tolkien dwarves we're stout little men with a deep love of their trades. They didn't value war and strength those are virtues of men.They dug deep places so no one could come bother them while they perfected their crafts,from jewel cutting to toymaking metal smithing.
>>
>>49500198
You missed the part where I said stereotypical. I mean this is the common image of dwarves.
>>
>>49500166
Have you read the books? Describe gimli to me,because he is nothing like the sterotypical d&d dwarf that is apparently based entirely off him. Sure maybe they started pulling some things off him but saying that D&D dwarves are gimli clones is jsut wrong.
>>
Give them real physiological differences that drive their behaviors.

My dwarves don't sleep except for during two 6 year long hibernations in their 30-40 year long lives. In addition to their ability to see in total darkness, this is why they invest so much time and effort in their halls (which are pitch black, better defense for them). "No dwarf should have to sleep Outside" is the phrase, because it's so tragic and dangerous to have to do it without a Hall, unless you own a house with GREAT security.

This is also why it seems that they have such great craft skills. They work all through the day and night, if they're obsessed. They can pump out product.

They're also kept as slaves a lot, because they seem tireless. But when they have to sleep, they're just discarded as dead by certain organisations.

It lends for a lot of interesting stuff.
>>
>>49495148
For dwarves in the classic sense I'd day either living high on the mountains,in the middle of deserts or on islands potentially. Because the reason tolkien dwarves tended to live in holes was because they wanted to shut themselves off from the world,they are a race of autistic craftsmen who want to work their trades without being bothered,most of them don't even marry because it will effect their time set aside for working.
>>
>>49490997
>draw a halfling
>call it a dwarf
>>
>>49500297
>looks at a picture of a gnome
>calls it a halfling
There's a special place in hell for people like you.
>>
>>49499981
An imaginary phylactery? Sounds pretty...

Complex.
>>
File: German_garden_gnome.jpg (2MB, 2560x1920px) Image search: [Google]
German_garden_gnome.jpg
2MB, 2560x1920px
>>49500359
>gnomes
>without jew noses
>>
>>49500297
>>49500359
It's clearly a dwarf you plebeians
>>
>>49500388
First off the nose in that pic is in no way jewish,your gnome looks like a rosey cheeked welshman. Secondly the drawing all together lacks a nose,not even terribly sure how the creature in it is alive.
>>
>>49500359
And it's full of kender.
>>
File: elves.png (59KB, 1600x1010px) Image search: [Google]
elves.png
59KB, 1600x1010px
>>49490997
>Is disdain for elves overplayed?

No, elves don't get enough hate, fuck elves.
>>
>>49500418
Well, to be fair, dorf fortress elves are different.
>>
>>49494222
I keep the Elves faggy though
And no, the Dwarf women don't have beards.They have mustaches
>>
>>49500418
Funny enough, elves and orcs were the source of every major problem in my current setting, because they came from the Forgotten Realms and brought Vancian-style magic with them, which pissed off the current goddess of magic something fierce.
Eventually, Corellon and Gruumsh got kicked out by the head of the setting-specific pantheon because they couldn't play nice, but by that time magic had already changed from an ability everyone could just do to a skill that was studied. So the goddess of magic got pissed and ended up causing a massive cataclysm trying to put everything back to normal (she lost).
So now she's evil.
>>
File: What did you say.png (325KB, 618x463px) Image search: [Google]
What did you say.png
325KB, 618x463px
>>49499221
That room wasn't in the castle it was in some random-ass building in the countryside you pass through on the way to Drac's castle.

I'm mad. Threat officially ruined.
>>
>>49499283
I suppose if you burn the entire world it draculas castle will cease to be a problem.
>>
>>49500153
Sounds like a memetic infection.
Overdone 10 years ago.
>>
>>49500543
>Funny enough, elves and orcs were the source of every major problem in my current setting, because they came from the Forgotten Realms and brought Vancian-style magic with them

forgotten realms magic only works because of the weave managed by their own goddess of magic, mystra. without the weave "memorize"-type magic doesn't work at all. So any forgotten realms wizard that travel to a different plane will immediately lose their powers

change the place they're coming from to literally any other D&D setting and it would work just fine.
>>
>>49503217
Yeah, the part the goddess of magic was pissed about was being voted out by divine majority so that she would have to act as the 'Mystra' of that world.
Since elves and orcs couldn't cast naturally in the setting, they lobbied for the FR systems. It 'passed', so she's forced to provide magic to people regardless of what she thinks of them under threat of divine conflict should she deny it to anyone.
Currently, she's trying to set things up so that the general population answers to her so she can bypass divine vote and push for a reset.
Failing that, she plans on bailing from the setting altogether and taking her magic with her - which would crush the current status quo and turn the place into a Dark Sun equivalent- but no magic or even psionics at all.
>>
>>49500148
I remember I think it was the 2nd or the 3rd book, but Gimili and Legolas was talking after the battle of Helms deep that since Legolas went with Gimli when he wanted to see the caves, Gimli had to join Legolas when walking in a forest. I think it either was his home forest or the Fangorn forest. My memory is a bit fuzzy
>>
File: 9cce254b256f4d7a9f96d47bd765e722.png (493KB, 1367x629px) Image search: [Google]
9cce254b256f4d7a9f96d47bd765e722.png
493KB, 1367x629px
>>49490997
>Posted: 5 years ago
Man, he's been doing this for a while
>>
>>49504760
I think KC is an autistic manbaby but damn is he passionate about what he does.
>>
>>49490997
> How do you do X well?
Quit boiling it down to cliches.
>>
>>49504760
>succubus family

Dwarves confirmed evil
>>
I want to make Dwarves with australian accents, a little less concerned about mining and spending more time trying to eliminate vermin.
>>
>>49491040
They're Scottish you dense fuck
>>
>>49491040
>not playing your dwarfs like this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bRpVTqmNepg
>>
I like my Dwarves to be little more "traditional". They live underground but they live near the surface, and on the surface. Their cities are huge, and ornate. However only the rich get to live deep underground.

It's a status thing, deeper underground and more ornate your "house" is, more wealth you have. The peasants live on the surface, only living in simple underground houses that extend maybe 8ft below ground and a bit above. The peasants farm crops above ground while growing mushrooms in their house. Dwarves build giant walls to surround their farming land. They're constantly patrolled and guarded.

They have a distrust for all non-dwarves, but don't have a hatred for Elves and likewise the Elves don't have hatred for the Dwarves. In fact they trade more with one another than Humans & Dwarves or Humans & Elves.

Physically they're human looking, but barrel chested, only 4ft tall, with longer arms than legs. So while a human his arms don't go past his waist, Dwarven arms go to the knees. This gives the illusion that their legs are shorter, which they're same proportion as human just not as long and much thicker. The ribcage of the Dwarf is made of flexible plates instead of ribs. Their heart is located underneath the lower left side of their ribplates, where human liver would be.
>>
>>49507476
>autistic manbaby
That's not a nice thing to say about a bloke who keeps pumping out monstergirls for years
>>
>>49508528
His attitude doesn't convince me otherwise.
>>
File: 1459044105057.jpg (26KB, 343x354px) Image search: [Google]
1459044105057.jpg
26KB, 343x354px
>>49508628
>>
>>49508702
Look I don't feel like getting into a big argument so I'm gonna leave it at he's whiny and is completely incapable of taking any form of criticism, and generally share many similar traits of your average autist on Deviantart.
>>
>>49499366
>Daddy, why's the ground rumbling?
>Massive drill pokes out of the ground.
>Ground Vikings come pouring out.
>They raid the nearby shops
>Pillage the village houses
>Rape every woman (and a few of the men) and take the attractive ones back to their "boats" never to be seen again.
>Local prince's's fw
>>
File: Angel.jpg (163KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
Angel.jpg
163KB, 900x600px
>>49507546
>succubus family
>Dwarves confirmed evil
Like that is saying much when literally every normal race in that setting is "succubus family" elf, dwarf, fairy you name it. Even vampires, are succubus family, even angels are succubus family, FUCKING ANGELS. KC is obsessed with succubi and made succubi godlike beings in that setting.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (42KB, 300x462px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
42KB, 300x462px
>>49500297
>draw a human suffering from dwarfism
>call it an imp
>>
>>49490997
Make an interesting character before you make it a dwarf.

By way of example, every character I ever make starts out as a white guy. Once I have a personality, a backstory, a theme, then i change things like race and gender. Don't include those preconceptions in your initial ideas of who a person is and what motivates them, and they won't define what you make.
>>
>>49499466
source on image?
>>
>>49511935

It's a little silly to think that a character's race won't influence what sort of character they are / what their goals are. How you look, who you grew up with, how people in your life react to your heritage, what expectations are placed on you etc are all big parts of a character.

Tacking a race onto a character as an afterthought is almost as bad as making your character a walking racial stereotype. Both are shallow options.
>>
>>49511935
>starting as a white guy
>not starting as a genderless protean mass
TRIGGERED
>>
>>49512355
Russian artist by the name of Uno Moralez.
>>
>>49504760
Absolutely perfect
>>
>>49502682
if that's dracula's guest house just how fucked up do you expect the castle to be, dude?
and if we're gonna be pedantic>>49499238 is technically inside a magical book that's only ABOUT dracula's castle but shut up though
>>
>>49508528
Autistic manbaby is the most accurate term for somebody who pumps out monstergirl shit for years.

Monstergirls are literally the "I'm too afraid to make anything actually interesting as a race so I'll just slap some Halloween store accessories on a generic anime girl so I can fap to it while telling myself I'm not really a furry" race.
>>
>>49508528
No, he's actually super touchy and got really offended when people (mostly westerners) pointed out he was basically making a Brave New World-style dystopia with his setting where humanity ultimately goes extinct.
>>
>>49495180
Albanian communist dwarves when
>>
File: whaaat.png (296KB, 538x494px) Image search: [Google]
whaaat.png
296KB, 538x494px
>>49515087
Hot damn that projection
>>
File: Queen's Blade dwarf elf jokes2.jpg (141KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Queen's Blade dwarf elf jokes2.jpg
141KB, 1920x1080px
>>
>>49507562
>Australian.
>Not concerned with mining.
Pull your head in, cuntlet.
>>
>>49512425
>Tacking a race onto a character as an afterthought
You miss the point. The point is to start with the person, not the stereotype.
>>
>>49518009
To be fair, mining was basically a very successful tourist trap until recently.

It's agriculture, and especially sheep, you want for enduring Australian pastimes.
>>
File: Queen's Blade dwarf 13.jpg (81KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Queen's Blade dwarf 13.jpg
81KB, 1280x720px
>>
>>49521419
Why couldn't the japs use halflings to sate their lolilust. I resent being denied THICC dwarfgirls
>>
>>49492084
You're aren't a fraction as interesting, creative or intelligent as you believe you are. I pity your players.
>>
>>49496529
>next on Sir David of Attenborough's scrying show
>we see a colony of dwarfs strip an entire segment of forest clear
>the only hope is for the inhabitants to flee
>orb pans across a scene of dwarfs crawing over ogres and pulling down Giants, while a dragon is carried off by hundreds of mobile bearded forms
>>
File: Queen's blade dwarf 3.jpg (1MB, 1200x1650px) Image search: [Google]
Queen's blade dwarf 3.jpg
1MB, 1200x1650px
>>49521488
because japan only knows 3 fantasy races from western fantasy. Elf, dwarf and orc, orc is generally the pig face variety, the rest are just random faceless monster races from beastmen to skellintons and demons. Only the greatest westaboo nerds know what a halfling is. Creators of course must cater to the widest audience.
>>
>>49495148
I've always drifted towards desert dwelling dwarves myself
>>
>>49493998
Same here
>>
File: tumblr_nv20hxpyun1s2rmjxo1_500.png (303KB, 500x526px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nv20hxpyun1s2rmjxo1_500.png
303KB, 500x526px
>>49521635
Ryoko Kui truly is best mangaka
>>
>>49493998
I prefer goblin kobolds
>>
File: Queen's Blade dwarf paper.jpg (171KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Queen's Blade dwarf paper.jpg
171KB, 1920x1080px
>>
>Is disdain for elves overplayed?
No

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjHclWPVij0
>>
>>49500297
>>49493501
I would call you both idiots but thats not nice
The picture is from the Monmuso Encyclopedia, and yes, that's a dwarf albeit one who was corrupted by the demon lord's mana. By the by, The dwarves of that world are breeding themselves out of existence because they like the new loli-dwarves more than the vanilla variety and since loli-dwarves have undergone monsterification, they only give birth to girls (something the Demon lord is trying to fix alongside her husband).
>>
>>49509499
considering the DL is a succubus, and she's been using her and her husbands fornication to supercharge both of their powers so that she can fix the the one major flaw in her plan for a better world, (not counting the "Drawing smilies on everyone's souls" bit) It kinda makes sense that KC would use succubi the go-to race
>>
>>49499273
That's not a dorf, that's pedobait.
>>
>>49525383
What a convoluted excuse for drawing a dwarf as a halfling.
>>
>>49526069
The person that made it said it's a dorf, senpai. I'll enjoy it as a dorf.
>>
>>49526072
Such are the natures of monstergirlfags.
>>
File: Ymir a pissed.jpg (98KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
Ymir a pissed.jpg
98KB, 960x540px
>>49517689
>>49521419
>Queen's Blade

Please change those filenames.
>>
File: Untitled.png (92KB, 500x590px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
92KB, 500x590px
>>49525383
>that pic is from Rune Factory
>pic related is a human
>>
File: Dwarf_book_profile.png (218KB, 639x294px) Image search: [Google]
Dwarf_book_profile.png
218KB, 639x294px
>>49490997
That Monster Girl Encyclopedia entry is a bit weird to me because it has dwarves be extremely dextrous. I suppose that makes sense if you're emphasizing the "craftsmanship" aspect of the dwarf identity, but it's still kind of weird.
>>
>>49490997
Everyone should hate elves, they are pretentious fucks.
>>
File: Untitled.png (592KB, 1323x629px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
592KB, 1323x629px
>>49528195
Why are Elves such sluts?
>>
>>49490997
Anything LOTR or Fag Eaten Realms is stale. Moving on.
>>
>>49528159
>That Monster Girl Encyclopedia entry is a bit weird to me because it has dwarves be extremely dextrous. I suppose that makes sense if you're emphasizing the "craftsmanship" aspect of the dwarf identity, but it's still kind of weird.
It is probably a translation thing.
>>
>>49495148
In my games I have sailor dwarves and mountain elves.
>>
File: GrassRunner.jpg (61KB, 263x425px) Image search: [Google]
GrassRunner.jpg
61KB, 263x425px
>>49521635
>because japan only knows 3 fantasy races from western fantasy. Elf, dwarf and orc, orc is generally the pig face variety, the rest are just random faceless monster races from beastmen to skellintons and demons. Only the greatest westaboo nerds know what a halfling is. Creators of course must cater to the widest audience.

This is the most uneducated opinion on /tg/ I have read this week. Good work. Please save humanity's gene-pool and kill yourself.

Sword World RPG has been around since forever, is still one of the most popular systems and nearly every edition had the GrassRunners you fat american fuck.
>>
>>49532478
>grassrunners
[Elona PTSD flashbacks intensify]
>>
>>49521488
Because unlike you they have something called ''humour'' and are willing to make male dwarf children all gruff manly men and dwarf females all loli for the sake of joke. And most pictures in here are not from Queens Blade but from, who guessed it, a comedy series.

God forbid someone take his fantasy races less serious than you anon, cant have any fun ever.
>>
>>49532512
what?
>>
>>49532659
In a roguelike Elona grassrunners are random opponents that you meet in dungeons.

They're several times faster than the player character and use a variety of ranged weapons, paralyzing special actions and HUGE SHOCKWAVES DOING 500-1000 DAMAGE, TEN TIMES PER TURN SERIOUSLY WHAT THE FUCK.

For reference, it takes around 2000 damage to utterly destroy a character of a level comparable to them.
>>
>>49532571
So, I guess they were butt blasted.
>>
>>49532478
Envious non-American cuck detected
>>
>>49532714
I know roguelikes are supposed to be hard
but what the fuck? people play shit like that?
that's just dumb.
>>
>>49532751
Elona is very much "bullshit versus bullshit" roguelike, so it's not THAT bad (for instance you can train your own speed to grassrunner levels).

It's still pretty distressing when an angry midget runs at supersonic speeds from around the corner and kicks you in the dick with the force of thousand suns.
>>
>>49532780
I've been hearing about this ELONA roguelike for some time, but I really don't know much. I heard it's from japan, and apparently has to do something with the internet connection/multiplayer?
would it be possible to ask you about this game? and maybe hot to start playing it?
>>
>>49532571
What is the context behind that image?
>>
File: 1361748665509.gif (3MB, 255x191px) Image search: [Google]
1361748665509.gif
3MB, 255x191px
>>49532742
>Oh no I have been called out on my retardation
>I know, instead of admitting I fucked up I better call him [current meme word]
>>
>>49532571
The japanese are bad at humor
>>
File: 81d2ab5efc435f8549ea05f2ba7b0337.jpg (576KB, 1668x713px) Image search: [Google]
81d2ab5efc435f8549ea05f2ba7b0337.jpg
576KB, 1668x713px
>>49533084
You are way worse.
>>
>>49533116
>really liked the artstyle of this guy
>search him up
>apparently chased off of japanese community for some trouble, 'interacting with filthy gaijin' or something
>chased off english communities as well due to creating depictions of sexualized minors
>also apparently being called out for being a nationalist(the extremist kind) after some kind of incident that happened shortly after his works got popular
huge shame, this is why we can't have nice things.
>>
>>49491040
Regarding Dwarf accents, I've always made them extremely Russian. Once played a "Loyalty Officer" Dwarf cleric in a game, and the idea has stuck with me ever since. The Mountainhomes are essentially the USSR with a better economy, and Dwarves themselves are a suspicious and dour lot, owing to the constant purging of dissidents in their ranks.
>>
File: 8Hopg0k.png (998KB, 1004x756px) Image search: [Google]
8Hopg0k.png
998KB, 1004x756px
>>49532828
The only things internet connection is needed for are the chat and YASD headline. Everything other is offline.

Overall experience is like from a TES game with all the available mods installed. it's extremely sandboxy (you can go to the dungeons, play music for people, become a merchant, grow vegetables, fruits and herbs, furnish and improve your house, the list goes on) and surprisingly difficult given how easy it is to make a ridiculously strong character. It also has a very weird brand of humor that could lead to some bizarre situations and is full of references to most surprising things (from obscure japanese memes to Kurt Vonnegut).
Elona is also highly moddable, from your character's appearance to creating custom NPCs, enemies and maps.

It's grindy, though, especially at high levels if you want to start killing gods.

To start there's Elona Wiki (elona.wikia.com) and a thread on /jp/. It's pretty civil, so you can ask stuff there.
>>
>>49533195
One day I hope asians will learn that grinding isn't fun
>>
>>49533195
thanks for the help, anon.
I appreciate it.
>/jp/
I've only heard rumors of that place. how is it like?

>>49533213
I once heard rumors that koreans were the first to introduce the upgrade mechanic(you know, the +1, +13 on equipments and stuff) to MMORPGs to bleed off cash from their players. is this true?
>>
>>49515143
Except that's not what happened.

Some autists from a forum kept trolling him and sending him wierd shit on email/twitter, and when he contacted the forum the admins sent him an extremely badly worded apology that made it sound like they were making excuses for the people harassing him, and that's what pissed him off.
>>
>>49533223
Elona thread is like any /vg/ general, maybe even with less shitposting.

The rest i dunno, i only visit it to ask a question or to get a sprite sheet.

Oh yeah. If you're playing elona, download a custom spritesheet, the default one is butts.
>>
>>49533251
>If you're playing elona, download a custom spritesheet, the default one is butts.
any particular spritesheed you could recommend?
>>
>>49521506
>You're aren't
> You are are not
2/10 at least you got the spelling right.
> aren't a fraction as interesting, creative or intelligent as you believe you are. I pity your players.
The anon never claimed to be any of those things, just that they'd changed a couple of details and that it had improved their experience.
I recommend you go see a doctor, because your kidneys have apparently stopping removing salt from your body.
>>
File: character1.png (847KB, 1584x1344px) Image search: [Google]
character1.png
847KB, 1584x1344px
>>49533270
Currently using this one, it's slightly customized non-bobblehead sheet. There are others (and a fuckton of sprites on elona uploader and pixiv), so you can always pick what you like best.
>>
>>49533319
that's a
a lot of stuff.
thanks.
>>
>>49532478
>This is the most uneducated opinion on /tg/ I have read this week. Good work. Please save humanity's gene-pool and kill yourself.
>Sword World RPG has been around since forever, is still one of the most popular systems and nearly every edition had the GrassRunners you fat american fuck.
Very well then please kindly explain why aren't said "other races" like halflings are prevalent in japan's leading visual media aside the big three of dwarf, elf, orc? Like say video games, anime, manga. Also please provide examples and races that are "strikingly similar" like Lalafel from Final Fantasy do no count because at least 2 different races have to be in the same setting.
>>
>>49532571
Yes, the reason is comedy and not Japan's inability to comprehend any female characters that aren't cute girls doing cute things. It's laziness and harems that fuel it, not comedy.
>>
File: 9H0eDar.png (572KB, 2008x2226px) Image search: [Google]
9H0eDar.png
572KB, 2008x2226px
>>49533496
>the japanese all hate the wimminz!
Back to your oppression-Olympics, tumblr
>>
>>49534759
That post seems more like SA or NeoGAF than tumblr to me.
>>
>>49535311
Many heads, a single hydra.
>>
>>49535398
Yeah, and don't lash back or you'll end up cutting off a head and having more grow. Just ignore them.
>>
>>49521635
>>49521765
>>49532478
>>49533423
Wizardry had hobbits, and Wizardry was crazy popular in Japan. That's probably where Kui-sensei first learned about them.
>>
I have dwarves, gnomes, halflings, and fair-folk-style elves as all identical in height and build for game purposes. Improved missile accuracy but smaller launchers and ammunition. Unable to use "normal"-sized 2-handed weapons and the larger half of the 1-handed weapons. Improved ability to hide, escape bonds, detail work like locks and traps, harder to hit by normal-size or larger. Worse at climbing, grappling, resisting poisons and disease. Can only use "small" magic (misdirection, concealment, personal buffs, summon squirrel or songbird), not "large" (fireball, wall of ice, summon demon.) Unable to ride a horse or wear the better half of armors. Move at normal speed and attack rate is 1.5x faster than humans.
>>
>>49535458
Technically, you kill a hydra by cutting off a head and cauterizing the wound
>>
>>49537939
I thought Herc just cut off the first/real head?
>>
>>49499283
There are magma pools in the castle.
Gonna have to nuke the whole world it is on and kill everyone who ever knew of it.
It's sorta like the King in Yellow that way.
Thread posts: 189
Thread images: 44

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.