[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/osrg/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 318
Thread images: 44

File: OSR Logo.png (22KB, 1600x1169px) Image search: [Google]
OSR Logo.png
22KB, 1600x1169px
Welcome to /osrg/ - the OSR General, devoted to pre-WotC D&D, retroclones, and all other related systems.

Trove Status:
>Original Trove
Down
>Secondary Trove (thanks to Clean-up-the-trove-guy!)
https://mega.nz/#F!5d02mZSQ!mtR7HH2mad0CLk9fgbNN_g
>Temporary Trove
https://mega.nz/#F!oN9XQRaR!3IOuPLcjR9zBh_xvIvrwEw
>Links
http://pastebin.com/FQJx2wsC

Previous thread: >>49398121
>>
File: Known_World_Sea_of_Dread_8mph.png (3MB, 4222x7081px) Image search: [Google]
Known_World_Sea_of_Dread_8mph.png
3MB, 4222x7081px
>>49458612
Thread question!

>Published modules or no? Which do you use for your games?
>>
File: cavernmagmahall.jpg (91KB, 900x537px) Image search: [Google]
cavernmagmahall.jpg
91KB, 900x537px
And along with the thread question, the hexcrawl filler hook: What's in the heart of the extinct (or still active, if you prefer) volcano?
>>
>>49459654
>The Heart of Hate

The elemental lord Flaer'Rok was felled by the ancient dwarves and his molten heart claimed to heat their forges. But the longer the heart remained in use, the hotter it got and forcing the dwarves to continually lower it further and further into the mountain and away from their homes. But then, one night, it flared and seared the majority of the dwarven hold, forcing those who lived to flee. Even now, the heart flares up and spews molten rock from it's flashes into the air, a reminder to those who live near the place of it's presence.
>>
>>49458794
Published modules for oneshots and the odd stolen idea, own stuff for campaigns.
>>
>>49458794
Published if it's the first time I'm running a system, own stuff otherwise.
>>
>>49459654
The "elemental plane" of fire. No, not a portal to it, the actual thing.

If the volcano's going extinct, well, that's going to have effects.
>>
>>49458794
Well, if it's *that* module, it's totally getting used!
>>
>>49458794
I usually cannibalize modules whenever possible, never really run them "as-is".
>>
>>49458794
That's a pretty great map. Where is it from/who made it?

And regarding modules, I use them quite a lot but I never run them as-is. The easier it is to modify it to your own setting the better.
>>
>>49461266
>Where is it from/who made it?
I think it is from Pandius, a wonderful website for the Known World/Mystara setting
>>
There are a lot of 2ed "black book" guides, like guides to equipment, castles and campaign etc. Are these worth checking out or do they offer bad advice?
>>
How do people run dungeons in Beyond the Wall or similar systems (no grid, specifically). I have difficulty conveying the idea of the dungeon to the players without a map. Do most people just draw a map regardless?
>>
>>49462207
I used to go full-verbal-description, but nowadays I draw out a map in whiteboard marker on laminated paper. Before that I used jenga blocks to demarcate the dungeon, which was really effective, but a bit awkward to carry to and from game night.

Not particularly accurately, mind you. And I don't worry about distances or movement speeds unless people are fleeing.
>>
>>49462207
I just use a whiteboard.
>>
A fun D&D deity and monster option:

http://goblinpunch.blogspot.co.nz/2013/10/dinosaur-clerics-new-class.html
http://goblinpunch.blogspot.co.nz/2012/11/imaginary-dinosaur.html

>Few people realize how close they are to hungry dinosaurs at all times. Tyrannosaurs lurk only a few months behind them. Yesterday, ankylosaurs are angrily destroying their houses. And packs of deinonychus lick their lips and watch you from only a few minutes ago. Time travel isn't difficult, but the even travelling a few minutes into the past is dangerous, since you may find packs of sarchosuchus tearing up your kitchen.

Dinosaurs of Tindalos, and clerics trying to bring their god into existence.
>>
>>49462340
More from that guy, who is cool.

http://goblinpunch.blogspot.co.nz/2016/06/nature-is-horrible.html

>The Bear That Is Madness

>This is a monster, but it is also an insanity. Sometimes you are fighting a bear, but sometimes you have amnesia.

>It is possible to encounter the bear as a madness. If you do, skip ahead about ten minutes (because it is amnesia, they have forgotten the last ten minutes). When amnesia skips the game ahead this way, each character has a 1-in-6 chance to have taken 1d6 damage (exploding d6, but no more than once). When amnesia skips time this way, the bear is nearby, and it has taken 1d6 damage as well (exploding d6, but no more than once). The party can hear it (perhaps they were running from it) and unless they flee immediately, it will find them and kill them.

>It is possible to encounter the bear as a beast in the woods. Combat starts normally. After 1d3 rounds of combat, the bear turns back into madness, as detailed in the previous paragraph.

>And so the encounter with the Bear That Is Madness alternates between forgotten spots (where everyone finds themselves in a new location, some with new damage) and regular bear combat. This ends when the madness is cured, the bear is killed, or the party escapes.
>>
>>49462340
>>49462375
Arnold is my absolute favourite. He's a killer writer and absolutely pumps out the blog posts.
>>
>>49461356
To be presice it from this guys site
http://mystara.thorfmaps.com/
he does recreations and updates for many of the origianl maps [and in some cases corrects some that had errors such as incorrecty placed locations or boundaries].
one of his biggest works was his attempt to lineup the hollow world map with the known world map].
>>
>>49458612
Is there any DragonLance in the Trove?
>>
B/X Dungeon Master Tools

Dungeon Turn Tracker
Player Character Generator Wandering Monster Encounter Generator
Dungeon Stocker

http://basicexpert.info

Enjoy and let me know any suggestions for content or improvements.
>>
>>49462340
>>49462375
How are you linking to blogspot? What wizardry is this?
>>
>>49463641
4chan can't see hobbits, just change the URL to .co.nz.
>>
>>49462087

I know the castle guide is like the book to have if you want to know some detail about castles. It's pretty in-depth and well written. TSR may not have been doing as much playtesting in that period, but they apparently took their research seriously.
>>
>>49458794
Didn't have much faith in my creativity before so I only ran modules as is. Nowadays I usually adapt them or rip off ideas. I still use some for one-shots but there's a continuity established so new groups always face the consequences of the previous group' actions.

>>49463545
Check out AD&D2e in TSR folder.
>>
>>49464386
>Check out AD&D2e in TSR folder.
I looked but I didn't see any DragonLance in there.
>>
>>49458612
Can someone tell me about Tunnels & Trolls? What do I need to know before getting into it? How easy is it to homebrew for? How well does it do dungeon crawling?
>>
>>49463636
A dark mode would be pretty handy.
>>
>>49462207
I've been tempted to have the players map out the dungeon themselves on graph paper as I describe it to them, but it seems like it'd slow down play.
>>
>>49465695
Ya, thats guaranteed to make things annoying.
>>
>>49465695
I've tried to do that but I just get so tired of how much gets lost in translation that I either map it out beforehand or just map as I go.
>>
File: ateliernecromancy.jpg (230KB, 1000x681px) Image search: [Google]
ateliernecromancy.jpg
230KB, 1000x681px
>>49462207
>>49465695
>>49465933

It's common for player-side mapping to not be exact and instead focus on flowchart-style mapping (like you'd do for say an adventure game). If you design your dungeons with this in mind things can go quite quickly.

If you want a game with player-side mapping you need to accept that maps will not be exact and simply give players a layout of the dungeon with the room they are currently in, rather than their precise position.

Much like a hexcrawl, you can give their rough location in a room but it's not narrowed down to the 5ft square. If you intend to play tactical combats with miniatures, use a separate board setup for miniatures, rather than trying to do combat on the map.

Presumably if you're letting players draw the map part of the purpose as well is that they can get the map wrong, which may be a level of ruthlessness you're not prepared to enforce. In other words, if players get the map wrong, let them get the map wrong.

If you're only doing this to save time, there are better ways of saving time.
>>
>>49463636
I'd appreciate a loot/XP share calculator of some sort, actually where I could enter in X PCs, Y Henchmen, stipulate each person's share, and then calculate how much gold/XP each person gets.
>>
>>49466063
If the purpose of the mapping is to create a "fog of war" element, then you can print out the dungeon and then cover areas the party cannot see with black paper.

If you want to simulate the ability to get lost, simply cover up all areas that the party's lights cannot reach. If the torch goes out, cover everything, including the party's location. It's a pretty good way of communicating dungeon claustrophobia.
>>
File: mk_scape.jpg (532KB, 1024x685px) Image search: [Google]
mk_scape.jpg
532KB, 1024x685px
>>49466130
I have about 5 sets of the old Mage Knight Dungeons floors & walls. I always wanted to set them up like pic related but cover each section with cut-out sheets of black cardboard and reveal each room as PCs enter it. I have little flickering battery powered tea lights that I'm making into different fires and other effects to place in rooms. It should make for an interesting dungeon crawl.
>>
>>49458794
I spent most of my DMing life running almost full-on improv, with sometimes a sticky as prep.
But three years ago, as I discovered the OSR and LotFP in particular (I'd been playing various obscure games and AD&D before that), I decided to try using modules, since there were a lot of great material just laying there, ready to be plundered. I use "as-is" but forget then make shit up.

>>49459654
A fuck lot of volcanic rock that can be traded for actual gold to the burning people inside the mountain. The closer to the heart, the more they're willing to give to get their hands on it. They don't actually survive fire, they just have an unhealthy obsession with it.

>>49462207
The party has a Mapper. I give her the dimensions and shit if they're at exploration pace and have measurements tools. I answer her questions. In complex situations like weirdly shaped room, I'll draw something on paint quickly, make a screen cap and send it to the group. We play using Skype and Rolz.org (I hate Roll20)

>>49464468
It's a very cool system in its earlier editions, then it suffers greatly from system bloat. I recommend using the earliest edition you can and treating it like you'd treat OD&D or Classic Traveller, that is, don't have assumptions, just read the game book like you've never seen an RPG before, and run it as is. Then change shit as needed, on the fly. You need to know nothing else, and it does things in a different way than D&D but it's also pretty fun.

A Question.
In HQRPG, there are no Hit Points : after an opposed roll-over thing, one of two foes get hurt, and rolls a d6 with maybe +1 to +3 if the attack was really overkill, and the result says what happens (1-3 : standing, 4-5 shock, 6 : dead). Assuming you're very lucky, you can take more blows than a first level D&D character, but at how level does a D&D character gets more chances of surviving a number of blows than an HQRPG one?

I will then proceed with a very short reskin of LotFP.
>>
Theater of the Mind or Grid and Minis?

Trying to decide which I want to do for a S&W oneshot dungeoncrawl I'm planning on running
>>
>>49467498
>oneshot dungeoncrawl

I'm this anon >>49466236, I like 3d representations, visuals help.
But if it's a oneshot, go Theater of the Mind. Since you're relying on imagination, you'll want to stoke that. I'd recommend atmosphere sound effects like this: http://tabletopaudio.com
Maybe play in a dim room with candle light.
>>
File: 1458309674970.jpg (110KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1458309674970.jpg
110KB, 500x500px
Turn Undead using morale-check rules: great idea or terrible idea?

To elaborate an idea I've been kicking around:
>Undead enemies normally never check morale. However, certain signs of the divine (such as a cleric holding aloft a holy symbol) may make them hesitate, cower, or flee, just as the death of a bandit might give his companions pause.

>To turn undead, a cleric must confront them with signs of divine power, for example by brandishing a holy symbol, intoning a prayer, or taking on an aspect of their god's visage (flashing eyes, head wreathed in flames, &c &c). By doing so, the cleric forces all undead creatures present to make a morale check. For the purposes of this check, an undead creature's Morale score is considered to be 6+HD. Undead creatures take a penalty to this check equal to the cleric's level.

>Just as with a standard morale check, creatures rolling equal to or less than their Morale score may act normally, while those rolling above their Morale score must retreat or cower. If the penalty from the cleric's level reduces an undead creature's Morale to less than 2, the creature automatically fails the check, and may be destroyed (incinerated by divine radiance, &c) if doubles are rolled.

Thoughts? (pic unrelated)

Was I the only kid who thought that "Turn Undead" meant "Turn INTO Undead"?
>>
>>49467498
"Theater of the Mind" sounds so pretentious. I must have been living in a cave because wherever I went in my life of Roleplaying, nobody ever asked this question, we just didn't use a grid or miniatures because we wanted to play RPGs, not, well, wargames. And I played D&D, not fancy storygames.
>>
>>49467637
Nope, Jeff Rients thought that too, I think. Or some other great blogger of the DIY community.

That's an interesting mechanic. I prefer the LotFP+Necropraxis way, which is, Turn Undead always works but is a Spell.
>>
>>49467637
>Run the Jewels Like Antennaes Up to Heaven

Noice
>>
>>49467637

That sounds great, I might steal it.
Though I'd make the cleric destroy trivial undead if both dice are even. That makes it a 1-in-4 chance instead of 1-in-6.
>>
What are some good modules with interesting villages and villagers?
>>
>>49467637
>>49467687
I think one alternative I saw was based on a reconstruction of the original Arneson idea - having Turn Undead create a "circle of protection" around the cleric that prevented undead from crossing.
>>
>>49467498
Theater of the mind + scenery and miniatures if it seems fun/helpful
>>
Hello OSR. How can I donate to the trove? I dont want my name on the PDF, i used my facebook account with my rpgnow account, but i have the newest halloween module for DCC.
>>
>>49465183

I don't understand. What is dark mode?
>>
>>49469523
I think he means an option to make the background dark, and the text white. Kinda like the Tomorrow style here on 4chan.
>>
>>49469542

Got it I'll see what I can do
>>
Anyone got access to the Amazing Adventures Book of Powers or Companion? I'm in the mood for some pulp.
>>
Had some PC issues, followed by some life issues.

I'll be setting the trove back up properly in the next couple days now that I've recovered the drive. Post me anything that needs to go up that isn't in the backup troves that I'll be downloading/merging into the proper one.

For now, bed.
>>
So I have a question about OSR.
Why does the community seem to love Google Plus so much? I've never seen other people talk about it non-ironically except in OSR circles.

My only idea is that Blogspot forces you to use it. Nothing else makes sense to me.
>>
>>49471114
Sup TroveGuy! Hope shit is getting better for you. Take your time, no major hurry.
>>
>>49471180
I had a bunch of social tools that made it good for community, discussion and running games. Eg. Hangouts.

Some of the useful stuff has been crippled by google over the years, but it is where the community made its home, so nobody is about to leave
>>
>>49471180
What other options are there? I'm talking here about "normal" people too, in the sense of how most internet users nowadays use Twitter, Facebook, etc.
4chan's demographics skew more towards people who tend to prefer anonymity and value privacy.
>>
>>49471180

Google Plus has really taken off in the RPG community, for various reasons. I hear it's also big with amateur photographers, and some other odd demographics.
There are some folks for whom G+ is really well suited, it seems.
>>
File: D&D and Retroclone Tree.gif (641KB, 3992x3536px) Image search: [Google]
D&D and Retroclone Tree.gif
641KB, 3992x3536px
bump
>>
>>49474736
That image looks like it needs an update.
>>
>>49469322

Hello! Upload your contribution on something like zippyshare and then send a link to [email protected], then delete the letter and your zippyshare after I respond . I'll clean it up.

Meanwhile my trove is down again and since I'm in a hospital currently, I can't bring it back for 10 more days I think. Some of the latest contributions are on my notebook though, so I can add them if TroveSenpai is bringing the trove back the next week or so.
>>
>>49458612
Secondary trove's down - someone back up the Temporary trove in case that gets hit too.
>>
Does anyone have a downloadable version of http://www.d20srd.org/ as it is currently. It has some updates.
>>
>>49458794
I occasionally use printed adventures but mix and mash them together into my own adventures.
>>
>>49458794
So what's the deal with Mystara? It's just a hex map for generic fantasy land? Why are the not!Arabs right next to the not!Vikings? And how is a "Grand Duchy" as big as an empire?
>>
>>49483674
>>49483674
>So what's the deal with Mystara?

It's literally "make shit up as we go along": the setting. The only setting with a more mind-boggling geography is Ravenloft's Core, especially pre-Grand Conjunction.
>>
>>49483913
>Ravenloft's Core, especially pre-Grand Conjunction
Wut? I'm lost here...
>>
>>49466236
Where could I get some of those floors and walls? I perused Amazon, but wasn't sure what was the best thing to order? They look great!
>>
>>49484009
>>49484009
Imagine for a moment, an arid land in the grips of constant famine, ruled by brutal priests who extort food from the peasants while growing fat, where starving to death is seen as the only way out of life.

Now consider that this land (G'henna) was in fact surrounded by temperate lands with shitloads of farmland and merchants who would no doubt eager to tap that starving market. But they never did. G'hennans keep starving and don't even flee despite greener pastures a day away from their homes.

And that's not even getting into tech levels.
>>
>>49484315
I should really look into that setting more. Always thought it was probably weirder than I thought.
>>
>>49474736
This needs updated, and badly.
>>
>>49458612
World with it's own history and background or just a generic retelling of a generic and generalized european history (ie Barbaric states conquered by a powerful empire that then collapses and the world is now in a dark age of petty kingdoms, etc etc)?
>>
>>49474736
This should be color coded for TSR games.

>Dungeon World

Fuck no. It's not OSR. It may be some pretentious ultra rules-lite hipster/indie RPG, but it's more of a "storygame" than a D&D retroclone.
>>
>>49486218
>Fuck no
I agree it's not a proper retroclone but it certainly plays a lot like an OSR game (at least in the game I played).
>>
>>49484009
I thought nobody left their realms in Ravenloft either because they were trapped there, or feared their lords' catching on and being rewarded with eternal punishment as opposed to death by starvation?
>>
>>49486608
They actually aren't trapped in most Domains. People went back and forth all the time. The G'henna situation is just the result of very bad planning.
>>
>>49486218

Lol, triggered.

Whether it pisses you off or not, it fits all of the dude's inclusion criteria. Hell, if he added "won't make nerds on 4chan unreasonably upset" as a criteria he couldn't have included any editiosn of D&D at all.
>>
>>49487144
>Lol, triggered.

You can kill yourself or go back to tumblr.

>>49486265
The narrative mechanics and taking away control from the GM is a very modern thing. It's not Gygaxian. It's not retro.
>>
What books aside from PHB, DMG, and MM should I have to run a successful AD&D 1E campaign? The only other book I have at the moment is Fiend Folio. I want to keep it as close to core rules as possible, but I also want to use THAC0.
>>
>>49487255

>durr go to tumblr

Maybe you should go there if you need a safe space where you'll never have to see any mention of stuff you don't like. You could make /r/whinybitch, post your rules, and live there.
>>
>>49487429
Those are all you need but my table includes the Unearthed Arcana and some of tables also include Oriental Adventures for the proficiencies.
>>
>>49487144
>Must be percieved as a DnD variant

I mean, it's inspired by DnD sure, but I wouldn't call it a variant
>>
>>49487676
>Look guys I'm such a 4chan I don't know the difference between tumblr and reddit
>>
>>49487701
It uses the same stats, fantasy races and classes and focuses on dungeon delving.
>>
File: Pic-DA-book-01.jpg (123KB, 600x472px) Image search: [Google]
Pic-DA-book-01.jpg
123KB, 600x472px
I know this isn't a PDF share thread but does anyone have the Dark Albion PDFs?
>>
>>49477164
>I'm in a hospital currently

hope all is well CUTTguy
>>
>>49487749
Still doesn't make it a variant. It's an Apocalypse World/PbtA variant that's trying to emulate DnD.
>>
>>49487749
Freebooters on the Frontier / Perilous Wilds brought the OSR feel to Dungeon World. The original DW philosophy doesn't really qualify, but whatevs, we still have core DW in the trove.
>>
File: mountaincrypt.jpg (79KB, 900x466px) Image search: [Google]
mountaincrypt.jpg
79KB, 900x466px
>>49486218
>>49486265
The output might be similar but the means of getting there is not, at least if I understand DW correctly, and I feel it depends a lot more on how freewheeling an individual GM running Dungeon World handles it.

It seems pretty important to OSR to have outcomes be "clean" - that is, consistent and based on clearly established prior circumstances rather than retroactive fiction. Running into goblins because you fail a bunch of lockpick rolls and triggering a wandering monster check is identical output-wise to a situation where a DW Thief rolls poorly and the GM springs goblins on the party, but the former method requires a roughly simulated environment (in terms of rules governing the passage of time, wandering monster tables, etc.) rather than nebulous narrative outcomes.

DW-style play has the referee as much more directly "responsible" for the fate of the party and the challenges, rather than as an impartial referee of a previously designed structure (although it may be a poorly designed one). It's the difference between playing Satan and playing God, so to speak. I'm sure you could run DW games as God rather than Satan, but the structure of it definitely has the DM as the explicit architect of the party's woes, rather than the dungeon designer (which often ends up being the same in many campaigns, but that's an important distinction to make).

DW doesn't have a benny-type system AFAIK, but that sort of thing would also run counter to OSR ideals - players able to spend or gain bennies in exchange for retroactive changes to prior continuity ("your torches run out and you forgot to buy more - take a benny if you accept this").
>>
>>49471180
critical mass

when google plus was brand new, still invite only, mandy morbid was up in canada and she and zak stayed in touch by video chatting through hangouts

zak realized this might be a valid way to play d&d, and then he tried it and it was.

and then flail snails happened. everyone who was into the osr joined google plus because that's where the games were.

and once everyone was there that's where they stayed, because there was a critical mass of people to make up some kind of community
>>
>>49483674
There are a whole bunch of setting supplements, the Gazetteers. They're all pretty good and worth a read. Fun setting.
>>
>>49488587
I'll check them out. Are they in the Trove?
>>
File: Screenshot_1.png (46KB, 557x440px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_1.png
46KB, 557x440px
>>49489206
>>
>>49487144
Still. It's not OSR, in that a module written for an OSR game such as Labyrinth Lord wouldn't really be compatible with it without significant hacking, which is the general criteria for OSR.
>>
I'm hosting a game for some friends later tonight. We're playing LotFP, and this is our first osr game. I have Tower of the Stargazer as a module , but I'm also kind of in the mood for a table-generated dungeon crawl.

What do you think would be the recommendation here? Run Tower of the Stargazer since it's a nice module that Ragi wrote exactly for people like me who want the vibe and some hand holding, or should I try to wing it with a more B/x like undeground maze filled with monsters from a table and a bunch of really heavy to carry around treasure?

I'm toying a little with the idea of just putting a little town in the middle of a map and put some cool locations (like the underground maze and the tower) around it and let the players wander around.

Might put the bar too high. Really we just want to roll some dice and see greedy characters with poor judgement get cut down by a hostile environment in a fun and gruesome way.
>>
>>49490914
Just wing it you buttplugg. Read this:
/hackslashmaster blogspot /2012/11/on-guide-for-new-dungeon-masters html
>>
>>49490914
In my practice, if you have a choice between an ambitious idea and tested idea, when it's your first rodeo, choose the latter.
>>
>>49491174
okay that sounds reasonable. getting fucked up in a spooky wizard tower it is.
>>
What's the best OSR sci-fi/space opera game?
I'd just play Traveller, but my group (and myself, honestly) has nowhere near the level of expertise to actually handle it in play, but we want some sci-fi in our games.

What do, /osrg/?
>>
>>49490914
I cannot emphasize enough - do hexcrawls later if this is your first time. Start with dungeons and dungeons only! OSR play demands tracking a lot more things, and getting to grips with hexcrawls will come easier if you introduce things one step at a a time.

This is mainly because hexcrawling requires even more content creation from you - even if you're winging it you'll still need to populate your wilderness with monsters and the like.

If you want to introduce player choice, put a few dungeon options first, but focus on building and running dungeons.
>>
>>49492083
You could try shaving chunks off of traveller to make it more manageable, like having the group start off planet-bound with no ship and working their way up from there. That way there's no need to prep whole systems or learn the specifics of managing a ship and resources and you can really hone in on the details before you progress to other realms of play.

Alternatively I've heard good things about Stars Without Number.
>>
>>49492083
I'm currently playing in a Stars Without Number game and it's pretty great.
>>
>>49490914
Seconding >>49492128

The great thing about Tower of the Stargazer is that it has a bunch of shit you can interact with that isn't just combat and lucre, which is harder to generate on the fly from random tables and (for me at least) is the cement that holds the brick and mortar of monsters and treasure together.

That said there's some frankly stupid shit in TotS (and I'm not talking about the doorknocker).
>>
>>49489397

Yeah, it fits that guy's chart, because he doesn't include that as a criteria.
I'd call it OSR-adjacent, since it does a similar thing in a different way. It lets you have an OSR feel to your game, but with a fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants zero prep DM style, without using modules or anything.
>>
>>49492144
>You could try shaving chunks off of traveller to make it more manageable, like having the group start off planet-bound with no ship and working their way up from there. That way there's no need to prep whole systems or learn the specifics of managing a ship and resources and you can really hone in on the details before you progress to other realms of play.

This. Start off without a ship, then you just need to know the price of tickets and such, and you can focus on learning the combat system. If they sign on with a free trader, you can learn the trade rules.
Also, if you're using Classic, swap out the default vector-based ship combat system with the range band one from High Guard, it's simpler.
>>
>>49484089
Bumping this question, would really appreciate the help.
>>
>>49492128
Thank you senpai. I'll write a little summary after we're done with the tower.
>>
Hey /osr. Noob Ref here, gonna be running some LotFP soon. While I've played before (thrice), I've never GM'd, and I'm looking to build my own beginning adventure for my players.
Mostly just wanna get some assistance building the damn thing.

Set in a Lower Canada (so French settler) village. Before the story begins, a man (Nicolas) is attacked by a beast. He recovers in about a month, but freaks when he awakens to the sight of his family. Other villagers restrain him, and his family, particularly his youngest, a daughter, finally calm him.
His neighbors complain of strange noises and lights from the Lamont property, and then afternoon, about a week after Nicolas's recovery, the son of the neighbor comes to town, claiming he and his father were attacked in the night by a, "great awful beast."

I think here would be a good place to start.

From there, they'd likely go to inspect the neighbor's (Roussel's) farmstead. They'd find an awfully injured man there, and the man's son would want to take him back to the village proper. It took about two hours
The rest would head on to the Lamont's, finding even more carnage, with a trail leading out into the woods surrounding the village and farmsteads.

Pretty much, I'm looking for critique or advice as to improving or just running a game that likely is going to mostly involve running about in the dark.
Later on, they'll come to the deep caves, which will be the 'dungeon', should I just start the players there, or allow them to run around first?
>>
>>49458612
I'm looking for one of the basic D&D Challenger Series accessories. Most of what I needed was in the trove, but I'm looking for the
Poor Wizard's Almanacs III [AC1012]

Does any anon know where I can find it?
>>
File: MK3d.jpg (173KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
MK3d.jpg
173KB, 1024x768px
>>49492754
I posted >>49466236
Ebay is your best bet, but they aren't cheap anymore.
>>
File: p-aaron-potter---a-stolen-song.png (544KB, 850x1100px) Image search: [Google]
p-aaron-potter---a-stolen-song.png
544KB, 850x1100px
Can I get some good, small dungeons that would fit in well with World of the Lost (dinosaurs, jungle, robots etc.)
>>
File: the-stone-sinister.jpg (854KB, 2851x2300px) Image search: [Google]
the-stone-sinister.jpg
854KB, 2851x2300px
>>49493351
This guy makes a bunch of interesting small maps on a regular basis:
https://rpgcharacters.wordpress.com/2015/04/10/friday-map-the-stone-sinister/
>>
What's a good short module to run to test out my homebrew post-apocalyptic game? Mutant Future seems to be lacking decent ones and most of Gamma World's are simply too long.
>>
>>49493136
If you're up for it you could start them just before they go wandering into some place dangerous (the caves or the woods or whatever) with a brief summary of how they got there and what they're doing and then backfill all the details leading up to that point with flashbacks during lulls in the action as you play that provide useful tidbits of information. A sort of 'rumours you've heard about the dungeon' played out retrospectively.

Making it appear to be something that it isn't might be cool too. Depends on what you've got planned.
>>
File: flat,1000x1000,075,f[1].jpg (241KB, 775x1000px) Image search: [Google]
flat,1000x1000,075,f[1].jpg
241KB, 775x1000px
>>49459654
A strange set of doors set in the volcanic rock.

Inside, a massive, sprawling bathhouse of pure marble is manned by family of fire spirits. It has four wings with various pools and saunas, smells of sulfur and offers affordable rates for weary adventurers.

Resting here for at least 4 hours confers some minor, magical benefits.
>>
I have this stupid idea for an OSR game where you all play nymphs in a pseudo-Greek period mythology. By Greek period not exclusively Greek, so you'd have your Egyptian and Persian analogues as well.

It's not a fetish thing, it just came out of the enormous number of types of nymphs there are:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nymph#Classification
>>
>>49493468
>>49493136
>What I've got planned.

The twist is that the daughter of the first man, who will likely be considered a werewolf or somesuch is actually a minor faerie trickster, with charm person and something along the lines of Forget or another spell (haven't quite decided this yet). The father was injured trying to escape and warn the rest of the town.
While the players investigate or search for her family, she's been slowly taking over the town, twisting them against the PCs and the Roussels.
Not really sure if I can manage that though.
Probably going to have to build my chops something fierce to not just give it away.
>>
>>49493717
Throw in lots of other details to keep them off-balance and provide other challenges: panicky/injured livestock and wildlife, a mob of riled up locals looking to take matters into their own hands, some asshole lit part of the woods on fire by mistake, a couple of Iroquoi have shown up to see what all the fuss is about, really odd constructions of wood and clay way out in the woods (maybe related to the faerie, maybe not), etc.

If you do go with the start in the middle and then use flashbacks format one really effective tool is a two-part clue, take a vital piece of information and split it in half so both are needed to get all the information. Then plonk the first half in a flashback played shortly before they get to the second half in their danger-filled exploration.
>>
>>49488185
The setting is in the trove last when i looked.
>>
>>49493136
>>49493717
This guy again.
Anyone have some recommendations of stuff to look through for gaming in Early-Modern North America? Preferably Great Lakes region, but I dig it all. Stuff around the Northern or mid Pacific would be cool as well - like the Straits of Anian, that's a neat blog.

>>49494018
Ah that's a really good call, having a bunch to focus on will hopefully obscure bits, but still let them put stuff together. That two part clue is smart, I'll have to try that out too.
Maybe I can have a few Iroquoi or other hostile natives lurking about in the dark as well, perhaps in league with the faerie - this is there land, after all.
>>
>>49494150
If it's in the secondary trove it's dead.
>>
>>49492083
Classic Traveller is good, but if you don't want it, Stars Without Number is an excellent choice. Great core book, great supplements covering different genres and play options. Other Dust is a related game using the same system for post-apocalypse, I think it's officially in the same world but both have a strong leaning towards building your own setting, and give you plenty of tools to help you do it in play or in prep.

>>49492128
Yeah, you know, this is what I like about B/X. It's written assuming that split.
>>
>>49494375
Just had a look and it's still there. Go to the temp trove, the link is in the op. Then go to OSR Misc.
>>
File: abandonedvillage.jpg (286KB, 1000x518px) Image search: [Google]
abandonedvillage.jpg
286KB, 1000x518px
>>49493136
Right now your adventure relies on a very specific trail of breadcrumbs. What if the party wants to bring the injured man back to the village as a group? What if they decide to ignore the carnage and bugger off somewhere else?

>Later on
This is probably the part to be careful with. The main issue with constructing a wilderness exploration hook to find a dungeon is that you had best be prepared for the PCs to wander off in a direction that isn't the main dungeon, unless the dungeon is easily noticeable and bracketed with neon signs (ex. the Caves of Chaos in Keep on the Borderlands).

This means more preparation from you as you now have to develop the surrounding wilderness area to some extent. It's quite possible that the party can wander off from the original hook.

Now if that sort of player freedom is what you want, then as in >>49492128 seed the area with a few encounters or alternate dungeons.
>>
File: 1413068629977.jpg (369KB, 1100x825px) Image search: [Google]
1413068629977.jpg
369KB, 1100x825px
>>49493136
>>49496199

My other piece of advice might be more of a subjective playstyle conceit: I think it's important to try and appreciate what decisions are likely for PCs given the information they have.

If I come across a bloodstained cave entrance, it's definitely time to nope out and leave. There's no rational incentive for me to go in there. Now, if I have heard there's potential treasure in this bloodstained cave, that gives me some incentive to go in - but my knowledge is not firm. On the other hand, if there's a guaranteed reward for exploring this cave, and that I have it on good authority that pirate captain Jacques stashed a haul of stolen Spanish doubloons in this cave, now I've got lots of very firm incentive to explore this cave.

In short, pay attention to the sort of information you reveal to players. Saying the cave is bloodstained and people have died in there - that's window dressing that's hugely disincentivizing.

Maybe this works in horror movie logic, but unless all your players are specifically up for emulating a B-horror movie where protagonists make questionable decisions all the time, it's not going to work out.
>>
In AD&D 1e, is there a limit on how often a cleric can turn undead?
>>
>>49497086
I'm sure there is but I'm not finding it anywhere. Mind you, I'm just doing quick glance overs but still...
>>
>>49496182
Thanks mate.
>>
Trove is down, when can we have it back up?
>>
>>49497086
Once per undead creature. If you fail, you can never try again (DMG, p76).

There's also this passage, which is a bit confusing.

As stated on the CLERICS AFFECTING UNDEAD TABLE, this function may
be attempted only once by each cleric. Of course, if there are two, both may
attempt the function, each trying once, etc. There is also an exceptional case
where turning may be practiced more than once by each and every cleric
concerned. This occurs in cases where multiple forms of creatures subject to
turning are involved. If the cleric attempting the turning is successful against any
or all types within the group of multiple forms of undead, that type or multiple
types, to the maximum number indicated by the dice roll or otherwise indicated
by the rules, are turned, and on the next round the cleric so successful may
attempt to turn other undead of the group. This process may continue as long
as each successive attempt is successful and the cleric lives. Undead so turned
(from the group of multiple types) are lowest hit dice types to highest hit dice
types, i.e. first listed to last listed on the table. Any failure to turn undead
disallows a further attempt by the same cleric. Turning can occur at the same
time as missile discharge, magical device attacks, and/or spell casting. It also is
subject to initiative determination.

I think that's supposed to mean 'if you succeed at turning creatures in a mixed group, you can keep trying to turn other undead until you fail'.
>>
File: witch_by_algenpfleger-d8944e3.jpg (426KB, 1200x852px) Image search: [Google]
witch_by_algenpfleger-d8944e3.jpg
426KB, 1200x852px
>>49484623
Ravenloft comes in a few different flavors.

AD&D Ravenloft Pre-Conjunction is a Frankenstein patchwork of conflicting themes and overt horror tropes because the setting wasn't designed around long term play. The assumption is that you'd play an Outlander drawn into the Domain of Dread from some other D&D setting like FR, usually as from a game that you were currently playing in. Adventures were generally short and brutal, with high mortality rates. Every other NPC was secretly a lycanthrope or vampire out to betray you, half of your spells didn't work, and you can't walk five feet without tripping over a new Dreadlord. Ravenloft adventures were called "Weekends in Hell" for a good reason.

Post-Conjunction Ravenloft scaled back on the aggressive "gauntlet of horrors" approach, focusing (in theory) on a more nuanced style. The popularity of VtM might have had something to do with it. The geography of the setting was shuffled around to something more realistic and more focus was given to playing native Ravenloft PC's. And since this was AD&D 2E, there was a lot more focus on the metaplot and pumping out a million tie-in-novels and splatbooks.

cont.
>>
File: dp6cover.jpg (168KB, 1138x1536px) Image search: [Google]
dp6cover.jpg
168KB, 1138x1536px
>>49500894
D&D 3E rolls around and WotC does something interesting: they hire White Wolf to write all of the Ravenloft books for that edition. And they, imo, do a fantastic job, combining all the best aspect of the previous versions of the setting and adding plenty of fantastic new detail through a series of (sadly unfinished) Gazetteers. A decent amount of work is put into making the people and Core lands of Ravenloft have at least a passing amount of verisimilitude. One of the major changes that happens is the further decoupling of Ravenloft from the greater D&D cosmology. Gods and characters that were explicitly stated to come from other published D&D settings had their names and backstories obfuscated enough that someone not familiar with Greyhawk for example wouldn't think twice about mystery surrounding Sithicus' Darklord, but a player who's savvy to that setting would know who is being referred to. If you're looking to play Ravenloft, this is the version that I would say to take a look at, as it's easily the most cohesive presentation.
>>
>>49501039
>Sithicus
>Greyhawk
You mean Dragonlance.
>>
>>49501065
Huurrr, my bad.
>>
>>49493419
There are a bunch of free adventures (called One Day Digs) for The Mutant Epoch. It's a newer game with an old-school feel to it. The system is percentile based, so I don't know how that's going to work with your homebrew game, but they might give you some ideas. Lot of other The Mutant Epoch source books out there that are full of gonzo post-apoc goodness.
>>
>>49501800
I'm gonna check those out, thanks!
>>
Is there any book/pdf with B/X combined into one coherent book?
>>
>>49502335
I don't think there is. Might be a good idea to do so, a sorta "Rules Cyclopedia" for just B/X.
>>
>>49488185
I'd never heard of this so I went looking, and I really thought this was the same thing for a few paragraphs:

http://www.theoccidentalobserver.net/2014/02/review-of-dark-albion-by-david-abbott/
>>
>>49502561
Yeah, I've been thinking about it since the /osrg/ B/X campaign someone recently started and I realized how much I hate having to look through two different rule books to find what I want.
>>
Sooo... Troves when?
>>
>>49492231
>>49492128

So I ran Tower of the Stargazer with three friends last night. They ended up having played 5 characters, with four deaths and one emerging victories with a few thousand SP.

It was fun, they took the character deaths surprisingly well. The original party was a Fighter, Cleric and Elf. Cleric player very quickly spotted the potential danger in the snake handles at the front door, but got convinced by Fighter to try the handle either way. For some reason Fighter had manage to forget that there was a door knocker right after I had done the description, which promptly led to the death of Cleric only 5 minutes into the game.

Cleric player rolled up a new character, Fighter 2, while the others entered the tower. They decided to skimp on the wine and porcelain and went directly up to level 2.

There they found the diary and found out about the wizard being an unpleasant guy. The blood from the stairs got Fighter 2 suspicious, so both Fighter 1 and 2 drew their weapons and went up and met the locked door.

Fight 1 immediately sees an opportunity to roll for opening doors, and does so, with the break in attempt causing blood to come gushing down from the door frame and down on both Fighters and Elf.

All three players fail their rolls, and Elf rolls high enough to lose all of his 4 hit points. The house rule we played with was that the player whose character just died gets to describe the details of how they die, and narrated Fighter 2 falling down and accidentally skewering Elf.

Elf player rolls up Fighter 3, the last reserve character, who came into the tower too see if things were alright (which they weren't).

I decided that they'd gotten rid of all the blood and could easily break into the door into the wizard's chamber, and once in there they very quickly get to see the wizard's true diabolic side.

They very smart enough to let him stay in the circle, and looted the star crystal and went into the elevator up to the telescope room.
>>
>>49504097
Here, after some exploring, they very quickly got started in operating the telescope. They pulled down the roof, elongated the telescope tube, got the machinery running all under the command of Fighter 1. He was indirectly responsible for both prior deaths, and managed to now get responsible for his own death as he was sucked away into outer space and turned into mush.

Fighter 2 and Fighter 3, the remaining two characters, then explore further. They take the elevator to the library, and meets the gaming ghost. After exploring the mundane library and finding nothing of interest, Fighter 2 gets talked into by the deceased Fighter 1 and by the living Fighter 3 to take on the ghost.

The mini game that the ghost chose to play was first to 3 points rock paper scissor, where Fighter 2 barely lost and got turned into a ghost himself.

Fighter 3, the last man standing, finds the frozen blood vials. To sate his curiosity, he experiments with tossing them down into the acid bath on the top floor and gets to see the blood come to alive and boil away in the bath.

Not feeling like gambling his life to get past the door in the gaming ghost room, Fighter 3 takes the elevator down to the lower dungeon room.

Here, after some experimenting with the levers in the magic barrier room (and me being more generous than Raggi probably wants with hinting the state of the barriers) Fighter 3 manages to get a good chunk of treasure and promptly leaves as the sole survivor and economic gainer of this venture.

A pretty solid session! I understand that it was a puzzle location, but none of the players managed to get into contact with any combat, which I think was a bummer. They seemed like they wanted to whack some monsters, so next session I'll probably try to balance the exploring and puzzles with some more initiative rolls.
>>
>>49502335
>>49503060
for what i've read the B/X books have pages numbered in a way you can combine them on one large folio
>>
>>49496199
>>49496278
Ah, I believe I left out a few things which specifically relate to what you brought up.
Around the same point as the cave would be discovered, there would be screams from the village. If the PCs are there, there's a wolf attack going on. If they're not, well, they come back to the aftermath.

My main conceit is their characters being members of the village, but regardless, I have a few rumours I'm working on for the caves, among them an old elf queen's burial chamber and that it leads to the "land of milk and honey."
>>
>>49498765
See >>49477164
>>
>>49504097
>>49504158

Good writeup. Bear in mind that not having much combats is Tower's feature, not a bug. Being an introductory module, t's written this way to teach you about careful oldschool exploration first and foremost.

There's no obligatory combats, and most of them are really lethal, so their desire to whack monsters will most likely turn to a TPK. At least if they don't make a tactical retreat and think about some dirty tricks they can use which I recommend spelling out loud and clear in case they do engage in a combat.
>>
>>49504753

That wouldn't really solve the problem -- for example, Cook replaces the saving throws from Moldvay, so you have two entries with two different saving throw systems.
I can edit PDFs a bit, but I think folding two books together is well beyond my abilities.
It would have to be somebody like Greyharp, who did the OD&D one.
>>
>>49506852
Labyrinth Lord exists specifically for these situations, no?
>>
>>49506873

Yeah, it's probably what I would do if it bothered me enough, but I'm not the guy running the game. And I think running authentic B/X is kind of the point -- LL is close, but it's not the real TSR deal.
It's fine, it would just be handy if somebody had given it the one book treatment like Greyharp's SVU of OD&D.
>>
>>49506246
Now that we've all gotten some real experience with how easy it is to die, maybe introducing real combat encounters will carry some of that weight with it. That ogre really will fucking making meal out of your bones if he rolls more than 12 on that d20.

Actually, the last thing that happened was that Fighter 3 made doubly sure that the handle on the iron gate from the inside looked fine, and that he could just open up the door and get out with all the loot. So they definitely learnt stuff, and so did I.

What's a good module to either run btb or base a crawl on if I want more traditional underground labyrinths with wandering monsters? I kind of felt like the aspect of time and who had light sources didn't factor into this session as much as I wanted it.

They really mostly explored, they didn't pick up all that much loot. (Like, they completely bypassed the expensive cutlery and a couple of good looking paintings).
>>
>>49507031
Check out Tomb of the Iron God. 2-level dungeon, evocative and interesting, but leaves you plenty of blanks to fill in.
>>
>>49508024
Does anyone knows what ruleset is described?
>>
What's /tg/'s opinion on BLUEHOLME? I've never really looked into Holmes' vision on D&D (for basic D&D I tend to use the B/X ruleset) but from what I've read it seems pretty cool
>>
>>49509195
Isn't that The Black Hack? Could be wrong though.
>>
>>49507439
Thanks! I'll check it out. Too bad that the trove is down.
>>
>>49507439
Hehe, just started DMing this today for my gf
and her little brother. Using LotFP, they play two characters each. Have to make this less deadly, they are both not very experienced.

>>49506852
>>49506873
There is this guy who sells a version of combined B/X which is apparently closer to the original. facebook /bxfrp/
>>
What was the first (published) megadungeon?
>>
>>49512166
castle greyhawk?
>>
>>49512259
Castle Greyhawk was never meaningfully published.
>>
>>49512166
Temple of elemental evil would be pretty early.
Although I doubt it would be the first it would be useful as a high watermark (probably not using that term right) for finding the earliest.
>>
>>49512166
I don't think it's a TSR product - did they publish anything that could be called a megadungeon before the 90s?

Tegel Manor, if you really squint. 300 rooms or something, on the small end of the megadungeon scale, but arguably just barely qualifies?
>>
>>49515738
Actually, on checking, First Fantasy Campaign has a big-ass chunk of Castle Blackmoor's dungeons, which definitely qualify. 1977, Judges Guild, Arneson.
>>
>>49515770
And claims that the Dungeon started in 1970, and that the published levels in the book are both from the first five years, and ones Arneson had been running at conventions.

Guess that's it, then.

http://takzu.com/bd_pdfs/Blackmoor%20JG37%20The%20First%20Fantasy%20Campaign.pdf
>>
>>49515797
Huh, learn something new every day.
>>
As someone who's never run a megadungeon, do you typically just run your whole campaign in it?
>>
>>49517953
Not entirely. You go in, you come out, you maybe do something else. Things in the megadungeon lead to things outside it, things outside it lead to trips back in. It's...

IIRC the osr blog community wound up using a tent pole metaphor. The megadungeon in a megadungeon is the central pole for the tent (it's one of those tents with one central pole) and the tent spreads out to the sides and around, but you keep on coming back.
>>
Help me out, /osrg/, I read about a monster scaling system and I can not for the life of me remember the game.

I think it was an OD&D clone, but monsters only had HP, damage, a special ability and level. The difference between you and the monster's level determined the hit chance (on a 1:1 basis) for both of you.

So if you are first level and the monster is third, he'd get +2 to all rolls against you, and you'd get -2 on all rolls against him (except... it may have used THACO, so reverse that).
>>
>>49518226
Are you >>49509195 ? I gave a possible answer >>49510412 but I'm not sure. Have you checked out The Black Hack?
>>
>>49518233
I'm not him, but it is indeed Black hack.

Thank you!
>>
Anybody has the chtulhu hack, of the Black hack? I don't feel like buying it, i'm just curious about the proffesions list; I'm making something myself and It might give me some ideas. Thanks
>>
Are there any OSR supplements/modules about going down a river? My players are gonna do it (the Danube river specifically) and I need some encounter ideas.

I might as well make this a hexcrawl seed question as well. I just need ideas, any ideas!
>>
>>49519024

This one seems nice:

http://www.rpgnow.com/product/59584/Dolm-River

A review: http://tenfootpole.org/ironspike/?p=790
>>
>>49519024
>>49519794
There's a River Village pdf for free on rpgnow that may be helpful.
>>
>>49519794
>>49519894
These look really good. Thanks!
I'm still looking for more ideas too. The journey the players are going on is pretty long.
>>
Hi, I'm planning on going on a solo adventure using Engines and Empires while supplementing it's domain gameplay with An Echo Resounding. I don't know how this'll turn out but I'm hoping it won't be that hard since An Echo Resounding is a Labyrinth Lord compatible product. What I am curious about though is crafting rules. I took a look at ACKS and found it used gp based mechanics. Would this be a proper fit Labyrinth Lord?
>>
>>49520262

Sounds like it would work just fine. Welcome to the world of the Franken-OSR designer, anon!
>>
I'm actually an Eclipse Phase soloist. I'm just using OSR to run this scenario I've always wanted to play: a game designer who gets sucked into his own procedurally generated world and starts using transhuman tech to take subjugate of the low tech level competition. I thought of using Ops and Tactics rules in Pathfinder but OSR just seems oh so pretty in its simplicity; and oh so customizable as well.
>>
>>49519988
a murder mystery could be fun. You could find a small town or if the boat's big enough do it right there.
Some big party, lightning strikes, lights go out, when they return there's a dead body. the person in charge knows it wasn't party so he enlists them to help find the murderer.
>>
I want to make a Pastebin for OSR blogs, you guys mind sharing everything ya got? Mechanics, setting, ethos, maps, art are all good even ones you think are obvious or would already be on the list. Dead or gone-quiet blogs are okay too. If you can add a 3-6 word blurb about the subject matter that would be grand, for example: "Module reviews and a few maps," or "Old School monsters."
(TIP blogspot dot com can't be linked, but by using .co.nz it can.)
>>
>>49521556
deltasdnd.blogspot.co.nz is pretty good. I love his Book of War wargame rules, which do cost a little money but basically are OD&D, streamlined to single d6 rolls at a 1:10 figure ratio. He's done the (obsessive) maths so that the results are basically what you'd get if you literally fought it out using OD&D.

He has some other interesting stuff too.
>>
>>49521556

Last Gasp Grimoire (http://www.lastgaspgrimoire.com): deliciously fucked-up body horror, god-tier fluff, random generators galore for city-crawls and more, and some pretty nifty house rules as well. Last update was July 2015 :'(

Mazirian's Garden (http://maziriansgarden.blogspot.com.au/): amazing fluff for a Dreamlands campaign, world-building, dope-ass monsters, and incredibly evocative writing in general. Last update was yesterday.
>>
>>49521556
I've got a lot of OSR-related/-adjacent stuff linked in the side of my blog.

http://buzzclaw.blogspot.co.nz/
>>
>>49521556
Obligatory Zak Smith linking
dndwithpornstars.blogspot.co.nz
Whenever he isn't getting into petty internet fights he does pretty great work. A lot of good advice and ideas that can quickly be implemented into your own campaign.

Also Goblin Punch, of course. Similarly it's just a slew of good ideas.
goblinpunch.blogspot.co.nz
>>
File: Hellmouth.gif (2MB, 277x342px) Image search: [Google]
Hellmouth.gif
2MB, 277x342px
I'm working on a way to make weapons more distinctive while still allowing for simple/abstract combat. Basically, weapons are defined by their Heft, Reach, and various additional Tags. Weapons can have more than one Tag associated with them, and (occasionally) more than one Reach.

Heft
>Light (d4 damage): dagger, dart, shuriken, throwing knife, &c.
>Medium (d6 or d8 damage): short sword, long sword, handaxe, morning star, flail, &c.
>Heavy (d10 damage): polearm, two-handed sword, &c.

Reach
When attacking or defending, compare weapon reach between the two combatants. Each “step” of difference in reach gives a +2 modifier. The combatant acting earlier in the round adds this modifier to their attack roll; the combatant acting later in the round subtracts this modifier from their attack roll.
>Hand: daggers, unarmed attacks by man-sized and smaller creatures.
>Close: most melee weapons, unarmed attacks by creatures larger than humans.
>Reach: polearms, unarmed attacks by creatures substantially larger than humans.

Tags (more to come)
>Vicious: on max damage, roll damage die again and add. Repeat as necessary.
>Flexible: ignores shield bonus to AC.
>Precise: add DEX to hit/damage roll.
>Powerful: add STR to hit/damage roll.
>Versatile: can be used one- or two-handed; if two-handed, increased damage die by one step.

Thoughts? Anything you'd add? Anything you'd take away? What other Tags would you suggest?
>>
>>49521556
http://falsemachine.blogspot.co.nz/

This is the GOAT
>>
>>49521556
This is dead but everything on is great:

http://straitsofanian.blogspot.co.nz/

It's about an OSR setting based on pacific islands.

I also quite like Gloomtrain, Bum Rush the Titan and some other one I can't quite remember (had rules for a class of like a living human bonded to a parasitic machine) which have this slightly more anime influence than your typical OSR stuff.
>>
>>49521990
Sounds like a cool idea, but be careful that the bonuses don't stack up for a few weapons, making them clearly superior to all others, which therefore never end up getting used.

>Reach
>The combatant acting earlier in the round adds this modifier to their attack roll; the combatant acting later in the round subtracts this modifier from their attack roll.
Wait... so having a reach weapon is great if you act first but terrible if you act second?
>>
>>49521990
I think it looks fine. You might want to consider 4e's 'reroll 1s and 2s' mechanic which it used for brutal weapons.

I feel like Reach is the trickiest aspect of this and it might be better simplified, maybe just to a rock-paper-scissors thing.
>>
>>49521990
>Thoughts? Anything you'd add?
Just some ideas...
stun
bleed out
impale / ensnare
disable (break bone)
defensive (increase AC, and possibly decrease to-hit?)
offensive (increase either to hit or damage, and possibly decrease AC)
quick (bonus to initiative, or maybe you get a second strike under certain circumstances, like if you roll a 5 or 15 on your to-hit roll)
>>
>>49521556
https://middenmurk.blogspot.co.nz/
>spooky, moody, historical OSR stuff. Hasn't updated in a while

https://gloomtrain.blogspot.co.nz/
>new rules and fluff for old-school d&d. Seems to like making mage classes. Hasn't written too much.

https://quicklyquietlycarefully.blogspot.co.nz/
>OD&D player with some fun stuff for that. Hasn't posted that much recently

https://basicredrpg.blogspot.co.nz/
>kinda wacky OSR stuff, like tables and funk.

https://jrients.blogspot.co.nz/
>OG, proto-OSR dude with a bunch of great content. Lots of B/X and Labyrinth Lord stuff. Most famous thing he's done is probably the carousing table.

https://grognardia.blogspot.co.nz/
>Another early OSR-dude. Wrote a lot of reviews and somewhat defined OSR in the early days. Is gone now because of some internet drama I think, but he still writes rpg books.
>>
>>49522466
>Is gone now because of some internet drama I think

His KS was like a year behind schedule with releases and instead of apologizing he just stopped communicating on the internet, IIRC.
>>
>>49522249
>having a reach weapon is great if you act first but terrible if you act second?

Kinda... It works both ways. Let's say a dude with a dagger is fighting a dude with a halberd. If dagger-dude wins initiative, he gets a +4 bonus to attack halberd-dude (because he can duck inside the halberd's reach before the halberd-dude can react). The halberd-dude would take a -4 penalty to attack dagger-dude for the same reason. Conversely, if halberd-dude wins initiative, he gets +4 to hit dagger-dude (because he can hold him at bay) and dagger-dude gets a -4 to hit halberd turn on his turn (for the same reason).

>>49522335
>Just some ideas...
These are great!
>>
>>49522710
I'd worry that this makes initiative waaay too important. I mean, it's already pretty sweet going first, because you get your lick in first, but now it has an extreme impact on effectiveness as well.

Let's take that halberd vs. dagger example and suppose that both combatants need to roll an 11 or over to hit. Dagger guy wins the initiative and goes from a 50% chance to a 70% to hit. Meanwhile, halberd guy sees his chance to hit drop to 30%. This means that dagger guy is going to be more than twice as effective that round, on average.

Also, how slow do you have to be to let a dagger guy get into striking range before you can interpose your halberd? Maybe if you're surprised or being flanked or something, but if the dagger guy is running straight at you?

So I guess what I'm saying is that it seems like the longer weapon should give you an initial advantage regardless of initiative. I'm not sure what you do about that without instituting a complicated system where you have to roll to try to get inside somebody's guard (and then he has to roll to try to put enough distance between you to interpose his weapon again). Maybe you just give the longer weapon the initial strike?
>>
>>49521720
>>49521833
>>49521869
>>49521929
>>49522174
>>49522226
>>49522466
You are all beautiful, thank you.

Here's the list so far, it's a live document that I will be updating. For missing or inaccurate blurbs, tell me the line number, and what to replace it with.

http://pastebin.com/ZwUBVq8L

Maybe I can do something simple about the formatting because I'm not happy with it.
>>
>>49520262
>gp-based mechanics
You don't actually spend literal gp to craft in ACKS; GP is just used as an arbitrary valuation system to provide a threshold - but this doesn't mean you can actually spend gp to fill in the gaps.

Crafting magical items, for example, needs monster parts of XP value equivalent to the base GP value of the item. A Cleric casting rituals or doing research on the other hand will require the prayers of devoted worshippers that hits a certain GP threshold. In other words the thresholds are valuated in GP for a clear numerical target, but the inputs required will vary.

Your overall question - whether ACKS would fit with Labyrinth Lord - depends more on your approach and how much work you want to do. An Echo Resounding is way more "loose" and qualitative-oriented than ACKS, which takes more of a quantitative approach. If the players receive a fief, AER will say "it's rich and fertile" whereas ACKS will try to suggest "well, it's going to have X families which pay out Y tax income".

The latter is more involved, but as with all things OSR, the more cause-effect relationships that you actually track the more things that players can actually significantly effect (and understand/project the consequences of those effects!).

To put it another way, players in an ACKS system know roughly how much they'll profit if they attract more farmers to their realm, whereas AER players have to rely on the GM feeding them information.

Keep in mind even if you use an ACKS base you can still end up with something like AER if you keep the numbers obfuscated; personally I appreciate the ACKS approach because I don't find it difficult to come up with qualitative descriptors; it's setting hard quantities and populations that is more difficult.
>>
>>49521990
>Reach
Honestly I'd simplify this into a simple keyword. Weapon with reach always strikes before a weapon without reach. Two weapons with Reach cancel each other out.
>>
>>49522710
>>49522923
If you want to keep the mechanic as-is, a +1/-1 would be much more reasonable unless you want high initiative people murdering everything without breaking a sweat.
>>
>>49522930
That's a really useful resource. I would, however, reformat it from:

<a http adress to a blog> Mostly maps, some house rules, fluff, etc

to:

<a http adress to a blog> (Mostly maps, some house rules, fluff, etc)

The parenthesis would help to distinguish the comment from the actual link. Makes it easier to read several comments at a glance.
>>
>>49522640
Still better than GMS and that guy who became a travelling wizard.
>>
>>49522710
>>49523545
So what if you did something like this...

When attacking a foe with a longer weapon, you have to make a roll to get past his guard. I was thinking of a flat chance rolled on a d6 (maybe 1-4), as your to-hit roll already accounts for your prowess in combat, and there is no reason to compound that. Anyway, if you fail to close, you either can't attack or receive some disadvantage to hit (as you are just swiping at his arm or something). In fact, it could be that you could opt not to make your roll to close and instead strike from outside somebody's guard, gaining an automatic attack (instead of only getting one if you successfully close), but doing minimal damage in the process (half damage?).

But doing things the simple way, you make a roll to close and can't attack if you fail. If you succeed, you get inside your opponent's guard and can make an attack roll as you normally would.

Meanwhile, if you have the longer weapon and somebody is inside your guard, you must make a roll to force your opponent back (or more likely, to distance yourself by pulling back while keeping him at bay). This works just like closing in that if you succeed your roll, you change your distance and get to strike, but if you fail, nothing happens. This makes weapons of different reaches equal except for the initial advantage of the longer weapon (where the shorter weapon must close to strike and the longer weapon starts off being able to strike freely).
>>
>>49524132
You might also want to confer a bonus on somebody striking when the weapons are different sizes: maybe something as simple as +2 to hit, or as extreme as the better of two attack rolls. This would prevent combat from being significantly slower between combatants with different size weapons (thus making melee less effective overall).
>>
>>49525395
And I fucked up and completely misread this post >>49518529 Sorry man, sick as a dog right now and can't read well apparently.

I'll look through my shit for the cthulhu hack, I think I have it somewhere.
>>
>>49525420
And I do not have it. Sorry, anon.
>>
>>49522930
>>49524048
Not the guy that compiled the list, but I went ahead and tried to tidy it up a bit.

http://pastebin.com/4SRnF1N1
>>
>>49521556
>>49522930

Updated with new formatting, and version number. Keep recommending OSR blogs and I'll keep adding them. There are many I don't know how to describe, help there would be appreciated.

>>49525561
You beat by 10 minutes.
>>
>>49525713
Elfmaids and Octopi is a great resource - lists of d10 - d1000 tables for anything imaginable. You probably won't use the tables as is, but they're great for providing ideas to pad out your own work.
>>
>>49525713
>>49525561
Great work yall. Nothing quite like blasting your face with some osr blogs when you're trying to sleep.
>>
>>49525713
You need Goblin Punch there man. It's so good. It's basically the same as False Machine - plenty of rules content, but occasionally something offbeat to think about too.
>>
>>49525794
Dungeon Dozen too.
>>
Has anyone else bought/played Maze of the Blue Medusa?

I'm planning to start running it myself once my group's current campaign inevitably implodes, but have no clue what system to use. I'd probably default to 5e, just because I've run it before, and my players hated LotFP's 'overly simple' player characters.
>>
>>49525794
>>49525854
>>49525874

Thanks, Pastebin updated.
>>
>>49525926
I actually got the book just the other day. Planning on running it in my current DCC campaign whenever appropriate. I can't say if it plays well but the way the book is laid out makes it so incredibly easy to find what you're looking for, so I imagine that part will at least be good.
>>
>>49519024
I assume you've read The Willows, by Algernon Blackwood?
>>
>>49526208
I have not! But I'll check it out, it seems to be exactly the kind of thing I want inspiration from.
>>
>>49521556
>>49522930
>>49525713
gameswithothers.blogspot.co.nz has a lot of really interesting and flavorful ideas(including one of my favorite OSR setting concepts Trollworld), hasn't updated in almost a year though

By This Axe I Rule!
bythisaxe.co
great resource for ACKS, guy rarely updates but there's already a lot of excellent content on there
>>
>>49525926
It works with any retroclone. It's very important to note that many of the keyed encounters aren't necessarily combat encounters, and the entire module presents quite a few lateral thinking type puzzles/hazards/traps, like the shadow trap in the first room.

Tonally it's very much strange fantasy; it's not very "traditional fantasy" but does have a very folkloric/mythic feel to it - exploring a prison of forgotten gods. It's more Neil Gaiman than Tolkien, if that makes any sense. I've taken bits and pieces out of the Maze for use in campaigns mostly because I'm not really confident in being able to pull off the intended tone well.

As >>49525985 points out the layout is very helpful - having a map segment duplicated for each section does increase the overall page count but it's incredibly helpful for grasping things on the first read-through.
>>
>>49526958
In terms of system advice I'd avoid anything too crunchy or you're going to need to do a lot of extra work.

The map and key suggest dressing but don't really place down anything in the way of concrete terrain, so you'll have to do some extra work if you're intending to do something that's grid-combat focused.
>>
>>49525926
It's definitely *weird*. Zak's stuff is quite high on the weird-o-meter and often has a very sort of dry, fourth-wall breaking wit.

I can see some stuff falling flat with a less humorous or straight-laced group - like the Cannibal Critics, for example, who are degenerate morlock-like creatures that live in the dungeon and howl bestial cries of "Is it art!? How is this dialoguing!?"

It's definitely not a straightforward sort of hack-and-slash dungeon either; there's no levels to really gauge difficulty and each area has a mix of some easy things and some killer things.

I can easily see some groups having a blast with it (especially those without any preconception of how things "should be" in an RPG, and some groups getting very frustrated quickly.
>>
>>49526839
Added!

Going to go through and organize them alphabetically by URL next.
>>
>>49527108
There's a regular storytime on /co/ which is running through Quasar currently and there was this one particular issue that seemed just like one of Zak S' dungeons, so it got me wondering how much comics influenced him in his gaming.
>>
>>49527578
I think it's just more a case of convergent evolution here; taking the piss out of your critics by strawmanning them as drooling boors goes back to the ancient Greeks.
>>
>>49527701
Sure, I don't really mean that specific example.
>>
>>49527514
Alphabetical updated done!
>>
>>49527917
I'd add http://joyfulsitting.blogspot.co.nz/

It's Tekumel-focused but the guy wrote The Petal Hack and The Zebra Hack, both based on The Black Hack.
>>
>>49528348
Added to the list.
>>
File: 1466567153648.jpg (152KB, 668x849px) Image search: [Google]
1466567153648.jpg
152KB, 668x849px
>>
File: dysons-delves.jpg (175KB, 485x575px) Image search: [Google]
dysons-delves.jpg
175KB, 485x575px
The troves seem to be down, does anyone have the Dyson's Delve pdf?
>>
Post your favorite character sheets.
>>
>>49529752
>>
>>49529368
>The troves seem to be down

I wonder what file is getting the takedown notices sent?
>>
>>49530020
I'd bet it's LotFP properties. I think the takedowns intensified around the time they released a bunch of new stuff.
>>
>>49530295
hmm maybe we should keep the LOTFP stuff in a separate Mini-Trove away from the rest to see if that'll help, although it could be other stuff too, tried to upload a copy of Colonial Troopers in another thread last night and I got some weird Coprighted File notification that kept me from posting it
>>
>>49530447

Easiest thing to do would be to bisect it. Split the trove in half, then see which half gets taken down. Then reupload that half in two parts, and repeat until you've narrowed it down.
Bit of a pain to start with, but each time it gets taken down you only have half as much stuff to upload as the previous time.
>>
How much of the trove is free stuff? Or out of print? I'm wondering if it'd be worthwhile to make separate free and/or out of print mini-troves.
>>
Can anybody post the Hackmaster 5e DMG? Trove's down and I'm hankering for running a game this weekend.
>>
>>49529752
>2.36MBs
>PDF
Yikes. I like that sheet but it could do with a different format.
>>
I had never seen this chart before. How did I not know there were so many different branches and strains?
>>49500247
>>
>>49530020
>>49530295
>>49530725
I appreciate the enthusiasm, but in fact, last takedown of my trove happened because of New Big Dragon Games Unlimited, small publisher that did stuff like PX1 basic psionics handbook. Not sure about the previous one, but possibly too (cleaned up my gmail, erased the notification).

>>49530866
Not much. If I had to guess, 5-8% tops, mostly various short adventures and small supplements for LL, Dragonfoot content, stuff like that.

Anyway, still in the hospital, can't deal with the trove till the end of the week. Cheers.
>>
File: editions of D&D graphic.png (229KB, 911x1470px) Image search: [Google]
editions of D&D graphic.png
229KB, 911x1470px
>>49532127
I was just noticing that the date on that chart for Moldvay Basic seems to be wrong, indicating '79 rather than '81.
>>
File: 1430975879814.jpg (174KB, 680x974px) Image search: [Google]
1430975879814.jpg
174KB, 680x974px
Hey anyone have any systems that would work for some Cyberpunk OSR? Seems like a decent fit to me.
>>
>>49532486
Zak was working on a cyberpunk/eclipse phase hack a few days ago, maybe check it out.
>>
>>49532486
honestly man CP2020 is a great game, try it out
>>
Can anyone recomment a module with a great village festival to play little minigames at?
>>
Any tips on running a Dark Heresy-like game with Lamentations of the Flame Princess?

I want the players to be rough, lower-class young adults picked by a Royal Constable to serve as "soldiers" on the ever-lasting war against the weird and the occult, in the late 18th century.

They'd be pretty much like acolytes in DH, basically kids with guns and the authority of the crown, going into isolated communities to investigate bizarre occurrences. Inspired also by movies like Sleepy Hollow, The VVitch and Solomon Kane.

I wanted some help on developing the organization, its hierarchy, and all that.
>>
File: tumblr_m9b55geiue1qcsrd2o1_500.jpg (35KB, 500x749px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m9b55geiue1qcsrd2o1_500.jpg
35KB, 500x749px
>>49532940
I guess it depends on how religious it is, is it entirely a relgious organization, connected directly to the church or what have you?

Is simply religiously motivated? Is it akin to a military order like Teutonic Order or Knights of Malta?

Could it be not religious at all and more practical? More akin to say an assassination or spy network that does bizarre work.
>>
>>49533031

I think it would definitely be religious, but definitely more pragmatic than simply a clerical order.

They fight in the name of the Lord, but still using science and research as their primary tools.

Since we're talking 18th century, then it definitely has to have some form of religion thrown in there, but I'd like it to be more of a Royal/Police force than something that answers directly to the Church.

Think Van Helsing (from the books) and the bloke from Sleepy Hollow instead of a Spanish inquisitor.
>>
File: tumblr_o90iq7X7981qcsrd2o1_1280.png (734KB, 1200x847px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o90iq7X7981qcsrd2o1_1280.png
734KB, 1200x847px
>>49533066
So essentially a church sanctioned order with the duties of something more vague like "defending the faith against those that threaten it eternally" in usual grandiose fashion.

However give it a history of having grown more practical over time. They fundamental have a connection to the church but are more about real policing of these sorts of things. Likely you'd have a more centralized authority

It would likely be small bands of essentially militia, above them something akin to investigators who are more prone to travel and so on in accordance with the organizations needs. Above that being a usual hierarchy of say captains or whatever you'd like to go with and some specific head of the organization that answers likely to the local nobility as well as the church directly

You could of course have more clerical branches that are about getting funding and whatnot if the church isn't just straight bankrolling them.
>>
>>49533131

Yes, that's pretty much it. Maybe they evolved from an old (made-up) Holy Order of Crusading Knights into something less clerical and more pragmatic throughout the years.

I think it would be more interesting if there wasn't exactly a militia, with the field investigators being the lowest rank, and then they'd cooperate with the local militia/watchmen in the towns and villages during the investigations. These militiamen who showed promise, like exceptional knowledge on occult lore or bravery when confronting the weird and macabre, would then be recommended for their excellent work and maybe brought in for training and instruction on becoming a investigator.
>>
File: tumblr_o5egw9WHDf1qcsrd2o1_1280.png (411KB, 801x1200px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o5egw9WHDf1qcsrd2o1_1280.png
411KB, 801x1200px
>>49533214
That's fine! Having a core of fighting men is just a simple with stuff like this.

It could be cool to have a rivalry even. Have say a competing group perhaps styled after the Santa Hermandad. Just groups of peasants and former mercenaries and what have you organizing into bands of witch hunters basically.

So you have some political conflict, issues with your trained investigators getting run roughshod by these gangs of amateurs, wavering support from towns and lords and whatnot.

Could add some tension outside of specific encounters and stuff.
>>
>>49533276

That's great, I'm writing that down.

Where you getting those pictures by the way? They're pretty cool.
>>
File: 32462582_p0.png (1MB, 1200x1261px) Image search: [Google]
32462582_p0.png
1MB, 1200x1261px
>>49533297
Glad it's coming together for you, hope your players dig it.

This is just an artist I like as inspiration for LotFP stuff. Some japanese digital aritst named Suguru Tanaka. Here's their pixiv and tumblr

http://www.pixiv.net/member.php?id=58306

http://doumyakutosi.tumblr.com/

Anything else you were needing help with working out?
>>
>>49533351

Thanks, that's some nice art.

Well, not really, but if you had suggestions on monsters and other creepy stuff you've used (or plan to use) in your games, that be pretty cool!

I've only ever used "pre-made" monsters in my past games as DM, but this time I'll make sure to use only original creatures.
>>
Does anyone here know what's the purpose of max class levels for Assassin and Druid in 1E? Is it only to implement the title system (supreme druid and so on)? I am probably going to ditch the max levels anyway and instead keep the titles as a chance to get some additional powers but I'd rather know the reason for the limits being there in the first place before I do that.
>>
This is the soundtrack for your next OSR session or setting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgfa5UlZAL8

What is it like?
>>
>>49534222
Looks like I'll be running The God That Crawls then.

I've actually been looking for stuff just like this just for running that module. Thank you.
>>
>>49534222

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vO9Gk4LoFB

How's your session go with this as the theme.
>>
>>49533442
>Does anyone here know what's the purpose of max class levels for Assassin and Druid in 1E?

Presumably for balance, as the original D&D enforced max level disparities with dwarf, elf and hobbit characters. Druids and assassins may have some real or perceived advantage over other classes that has to be offset somehow.
>>
>>49534371
>That video does not exist
>>
File: really makes you think.jpg (16KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
really makes you think.jpg
16KB, 480x270px
>>49532486
Mirrorshades and The Black Hack: Cyberhacked are the only """real""" OSR games I know of off-hand.

Like >>49532889 said, why not Cyberpunk 2020?
>>
>>49532486
Stars Without Number has the Polychrome supplement, which adds a bunch of rules and setting gubbins for cyberpunk. It's ~~canonically~~ set on one world in the SWN setting, but really it's fine (and designed for) for general cyberpunk.
>>
>>49529752
>>
File: 1451483669876.png (210KB, 1630x1218px) Image search: [Google]
1451483669876.png
210KB, 1630x1218px
Time to whip up a small dungeon. I'll mash together the first two suggestions and see what I get. Will probably post the final result here whenever I finish today.
>>
>>49521556
Bumping this for today's crowd.

I made Pastebin for OSR blogs, you guys mind sharing everything ya got? Here's the list so far, it's a live document that I will be updating.

Mechanics, setting, ethos, maps, art are all good even ones you think are obvious. Dead or gone-quiet blogs are okay too.
If you can add a 3-6 word blurb about the subject matter that would be grand, for example: "Module reviews and a few maps," or "Old School monsters." For missing or inaccurate blurbs, tell me the line number, and what to replace it with.

(TIP blogspot dot com can't be linked, but by using .co.nz it can.)
>>
>>49519024

Gone Fishin' is a free adventure, also has a review on tenfootpole.
>>
>>49535387
I should have phrased that better. Oh well, hindsight.

Hey /osrg/, gimme suggestions for a dungeon crawl. First 2 get smashed together.
>>
>>49529752
Here's a bit of a question, how do you make a character sheet? Anyone know some guides or tutorials?

>>49536027
The dungeon is a Wizard School, at the beginning of the school year all the teachers went missing.
>>
>>49536371
Like in a drawing program? Because you can literally just write your stats down on a piece on notebook paper for most OSR games.
>>
What's the easiest OSR system that I can use? I'm gonna run a campaign for a group that's used to 5e/4e for the most part, and I don't know how well they can deal with 2E's quirks (2e being the only OSR system I've personally used).
>>
>>49536027
The dungeon is made of glass and underwater.
>>
>>49536414
I've had great success in transitioning from 5e to both Swords & Wizard and Lamentations of the Flame Princess.
>>
>>49536414
Moldvay Basic (the magenta colored book) is easy for players if the DM knows the rules. Alternatively the new Black Hack is popular for exactly your situation. Also there's Dungeon World.
>>
>>49536479
>Dungeon World
>>
File: ok.gif (2KB, 205x224px) Image search: [Google]
ok.gif
2KB, 205x224px
>>49536849

Who, thanks, anon. I was worried there for a second when the other guy mentioned Dungeon World that we wouldn't have the obligatory post from some guy who just has to tell us that he doesn't like that game. And where would /tg/ be if it wasn't predictable?
>>
>>49536414

I second >>49536446. Just enough meat on the rules for a campaign, good support material. LotFP is slicker, S&W is charming.

There are easier systems, like already mentioned Black Hack or Into the Odd, but they're a bit too minimal to run a campaign in, for my tastes.
>>
>>49536414
Depends on what you mean by easiest - from a player learning perspective or from a GM assistance perspective?
LotFP is very easy to learn from a player perspective but there's no much in there about dungeon design fundamentals, old-school pacing, or how to eyeball numbers.

Swords and Wizardry Complete is probably better if everyone is brand new to OSR and RPGs in general. ACKS is a little more complex but is easy to transition to for players accustomed to more slightly in-depth character creation options.

You can also just mod over some of the weirder issues of 2e but a lot of that is required anyway (AD&D initiative is still a bit of a mess). If your players can handle 4e they can learn 2e.
>>
>>49536944
PBtA is in no way OSR tho.
>>
>>49538190

Sure, it's OSR adjacent, if anything. A fellow traveller, but not the same thing.
>>
>>49537743
Can you expand a bit on 'eyeballing numbers'? Which kinds of numbers?
>>
>>49538484
Dungeon World and maybe even Apocalypse World I can see, but I refuse to see things like Monsterhearts as adjacent. They are travelling a whole different road.
>>
>>49538607

Who said anything about Apocalypse World or Monsterhearts, though?

I appreciate that you're trying to take things in a different direction, because I'm tired of seeing the same two things get posted every time Dungeon World is mentioned, too, but I'm not sure moving from "I don't like DW" and "DW is not OSR guys" to "these other games aren't OSR either" is going to be productive.
>>
>>49538661
PBtA is a "storygame" engine, which is far removed from the design of DnD and retroclones
>>
>>49538661
PbtA is an engine, not a game, and includes all the aforementioned games.

Also, I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not the same anon who had blinding hate for DW.
>>
>>49538838
But the original post that started this whole argument was not recommending PbtA as a whole- just Dungeon World
>>
>>49538763
>PBtA is a "storygame" engine, which is far removed from the design of DnD and retroclones

No duh. We've been over that, like twenty times in the OSR generals prior. It's a game that does the AD&D heroic dungeon crawler thing, it just approaches it from a different mechanical route. Hence "OSR adjacent," like Torchbearer.

>>49538838
>PbtA is an engine, not a game, and includes all the aforementioned games.

Sure, but that has nothing to do with anything.

>Also, I'm sorry to disappoint you, but I'm not the same anon who had blinding hate for DW.

Okay? Why do I care?

I'm just a little tired of the obligatory rigamarole we get around here every time someone says the words "Dungeon World."
>>
>>>49536944
>PBtA is in no way OSR tho.

>>49538484
>>>49538190
> Sure, it's OSR adjacent, if anything. A fellow traveller, but not the same thing.

That's the comment I answered, after discussion had broadened to "PBtA". I can see how it could be confusing though.
>>
>>49538888
>>49538838
>>49538763

Can I try to side track you guys buy asking to which extent your own dungeons and published dungeons follow the formula proposed by gygax in the ad&d dm-manual:

Rolling for room or chamber contents:
1-12 Empty
13-14 Monster only
15-17 Monster & Treasure
18 Special
19 Trick or Trap
20 Treasure

I think it's kind of elegant.
>>
>>49538963
Personally I prefer to have a little treasure scattered throughout the dungeon, not every room but more than 10% of the rooms.
That way they feel like they make a little progress even if its only 10gp of miscellaneous trinkets every few rooms.
They still have to look for it and earn it but a small sense of progression goes a long way.
>>
>>49538963
>>49539093

Coming from 3.x, I have not done it by that rough formula yet, so I would want to try it out as is and then modify as needed. I do like the idea of having a few trinkets in each room
>>
>>49539121
>>49539093
I think a nice compromise would be too let the 15% of the room that would contain "treasure" be stuff like gold, gems and magic items.

For the rest of the treasure you could let that be art, goods, furniture etc in the empty rooms.
>>
>>49539151
I just got sick of 3.PF, and my dad reintroduced me to AD&D.

I'm trying to get a group together for S&W or a modified AD&D
>>
>>49539151
Basically, you let 75% of the rooms contain potentially valuable items (but most of them heavy and or cumbersome to move).

That way, one fifth of your valuables will be old school "treasure". That means that you can get a way with a good amount of cash from a dungeon by getting all the shiny stuff, but to really gain economically you need to start thinking broader than just 'pirate treasure' and consider anything someone with money would buy.
>>
>>49539175
Would you use this table with S&W?
>>
>>49539444
I don't see why not
>>
>>49538547
OSR type play often tends towards the sandbox end, which means a lot of the time you need to make up details in particular ways that are immediately pertinent to the player.

A lot of campaign guides will give you help in structuring and thinking about "fluff", but I find in actual play fluff is the least of your concerns. For example, the "history of Duchy X" is not a really practical matter for players - instead, they'll be asking questions like "how much can I sell this gold necklace for in Duchy X?" Or alternately "How many trained horses are immediately available for purchase in Duchy X?"

Many systems and/or supplements ignore this quite a bit and it's certainly quite possible to just simply make up answers on the spot every time, but I appreciate rules systems that at least provide some guidance in terms of handling inquiries like this - ACKS is a good example of a ruleset that tries to pay some attention to this.
>>
>>49539644

Well, LotFP actually does provide some guidelines for rural and urban prices, and stuff like selling treasure and buying/selling real state, which I thought was pretty awesome.

As much as people shit on him for being edgy, I really like James' writing; I find it insightful and wise, but unlike Gygax (whose writing I really can't stand) he doesn't treat the reader like a moron and actually tries to teach the rules while engaging the imagination.

I've been waiting for the new DMG for ever. The old one is pretty good though; it contains more general tips on running OSR games than actual rules, but it's pretty neat.
>>
>>49539734
Kinda bummed out that the DMG for LotFP isn't available in print anymore.
>>
>>49539811
Apparently a new one is in the pipes, preliminary scheduled for January 2019
>>
>>49539958
Well, that's good I guess. Clean it up just a hair though the old one was fine as well.
>>
I ran my first session last weekend. We had a couple of character deaths, and we sat a cap on the number of reserve characters (as a way to make sure the session would end eventually, we had begun to feel tired).

The cap helped give a sense of value to each characters life, but I also noticed that the players hadn't really gotten that invested in the characters and as such didn't feel THAT much when they died.

I'd like to make the character deaths sting a bit more. They also hadn't found that much unique or interesting loot and treasure. Maybe interesting items in the characters possession would help give the player more investment? If the character dies, you lose access to the fun item.
>>
>>49539734
>>49539811
>>49539958
Speaking of, I'd like to re-beg for the Lamentations of the Flame Princess Playtest Document 0.1?
It's not very big, so if someone has it but doesn't want to scan it, snaps a couple pics I can copy it to a PDF.

It seems literally the only way to get it was to be part of Ragi's subscription service back at the beginning of the year.

This will be the last time I ask for it for a while.
>>
>>49540297
What system?
>>
>>49539734
I think LotFP is a solid ruleset, don't get me wrong, but Raggi's approach to GMing I feel is more wrapped up in the modules rather than in the ruleset itself or the DMG (like you said the DMG is more general advice).

A GM that moves to OSR play from other RPGs, on the other hand, needs to pick up on things like building/stocking dungeons, creating random tables for wandering encounters, and so forth. That's sort of thing for LoTFP tends to be in the modules, rather than in the ruleset itself.
>>
>>49540297
I think they're in the right mindset.
Do you care when you lose a Pawn in chess? When they actually level and lose their Bishop, you'll feel the hurt.

That being said, there are lists for random backgrounds, and maybe they get a special skill/knowledge at 1/6 chance that no one else would normally have. Like knowing if a plant is edible or not, identifying skulls, or recognise banners. I played in a game doing that and it was pretty neat.
>>
>>49540463

Yeah, definitely. I think he's taking his time to make a real killer DMG. I just hope it'd come out sooner.
>>
>>49540340
Lamentations of the Flame Princess

>>49540480
I suppose. My suggestion, I believe, is that giving a particular pawn a funny hat would help give some attachment to it before it's been upgraded. Really though I should just let them burn through characters without love, but I'll probably stick to the idea of ridding them of "funsies" items like a magical sword or a scroll or the like, if the owner dies. So that it doesn't just feel like Joe the 2nd shows up and picks up where Joe the Late left off.
>>
I agree
>>
File: unnamed.jpg (212KB, 1920x800px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.jpg
212KB, 1920x800px
https://udan-adan.blogspot.co.nz/2016/09/bx-class-extras.html

Opinions on this? I kinda like it but I have no idea if it would work in play.
>>
>>49536446
>>49536479
>>49537012
>>49537743
First off, thank you all for helping my lazy ass, and probably allowing me to start building my campaign like, three days early.

I'm probably gonna read LotFP for reference, and utilize Swords and Wizardry. I'll probably be printing off my own character sheets or making my own additions to whatever Swords and Wizardry offers, since there's a few that really do enjoy roleplaying, and I think giving them a few paragraphs of space to describe their character would be fine.

2e is fun. I genuinely enjoy playing it, but, this isn't a group I've played with before, just friends I know that happen to also play tabletop. I kinda wanna gauge how used to all of it they are, and maybe then I can get them to catch onto THAC0, Initiative, and descending armor class. I'm trying to gently bring them into grognardhood, instead of trying to get them used to opposite-day rules at the moment. When I finally get ballsy enough to show off my raging Dark Sun boner, I'll bring them into 2e.
>>
File: 41299625-rapture.jpg (768KB, 1500x878px) Image search: [Google]
41299625-rapture.jpg
768KB, 1500x878px
>>49536371
>>49536442

Wizard School gone Rapture, good luck >>49536027 .
>>
>>49541532
It's coming along quite well, really. Already at 5 pages though, so we'll see how it ends up.
>>
>>49540892
It seems fun.
>>
>>49541551
Post it here when you're done?
>>
>>49541551
>>49542322
Agreed, be sure to share any cool ideas you come up with.
>>
File: South Fork.png (347KB, 445x349px) Image search: [Google]
South Fork.png
347KB, 445x349px
>>49542322
>>49542502
Of course! It's a writing exercise more than anything, but I figure someone other than me might enjoy running it. I'll post the rough draft as soon as I nail down all the different bits and pieces, and you are all welcome to dig through it while I revise and edit the spelling and format.

That said, I rarely run entire modules wholesale, so much as poach the best ideas from it, so feel free to poach anything you find particularly interesting.

Here's the area map I cut out as a teaser.
>>
>>49529752

That's adorable.
>>
>>49536027
>>49536371
>>49536442
>>49542322
>>49542502
Alrighty, first draft is done. I ended up going less dungeon-crawl and more of a location-adventure take on things. Hope it doesn't disappoint.

This thing is wordy, badly formatted and will probably be a lot more user-friendly once I've done a few pass-throughs. That said, it's got a lot of content so you guys are welcome to pick it apart and take what you want.

To-dos: cut down on the wordage, condense and format. Does everyone agree that doing two columns of text is generally accepted as the best format for adventure modules? Also, draw up a rough map of the School.
>>
>>49539093
IIRC the DM is meant to place more important treasures by hand, on top of those.
>>
we need a new thread
Thread posts: 318
Thread images: 44

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.