[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D 5th Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 353
Thread images: 29

File: image.jpg (163KB, 1280x768px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
163KB, 1280x768px
>New Sage Advice - Rules Answers: September 2016
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/rules-answers-september-2016

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>Volo's Guide to Monster's Preview
http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/VoloPreviews.zip

>UA Revised Ranger
September Unearthed Arcana - The Ranger, Revised:
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/unearthed-arc

>Last Session
>>49437220

So, you are on fire with your character, rolling good ones to perform great skill checks and hitting those attacks, nailing those saving throws, but what was the Nat 1 that ruined your momentum?
>>
>>49445975
I make all players adhere to the same rules.

I like the buy attribute system and usually lower the 27 points to 23-25. I enjoy having characters who have some stats at a disadvantage. But I do usually discuss my plans with players, sometimes they ask me to keep it at 27, so I do.

Gold I usually work with the group and give them gold based on the adventure, characters and setting.

The character stuff I allow them to go hog wild with. Most anything they want I allow, but their ideas must fall under one of the backgrounds. So if someone comes up to me with a Guard Captain background I would use the city watch background as a jumping off point and homebrew a bit of the bonuses.

Have fun, let your players be creative but don't let them be super OP.
>>
File: 1403670228189.jpg (239KB, 1157x987px) Image search: [Google]
1403670228189.jpg
239KB, 1157x987px
Just managed to finish off the second to last orc that was attacking my party.
Attack the last one with advantage
>1
roll again hoping for a nat 20
>1
>our entire groups face
>>
>>49446026
I'm actually the player. Since I'm new and haven't found a group yet, I was wondering if I should make a character sheet beforehand or wait until I meet them. Is there generally a time before the campaign starts to allow players to make their characters?
>>
Cantrip damage is too damn high.
>>
>>49446026
Ew, if anything I buff the buy up to 32 so that the heroes aren't shits.
>>
>>49446067
That just means you have to work harder creating encounters they don't shit on.
>>49446052
Changing stats around isn't hard, so if you're excited and want to start making characters before the game starts go ahead. I recommend using standard array for funsies, then reroll or buy once you get into a game and they tell you otherwise.

Once you get a hang of the classes you'll know where to put your numbers anyway. Might as well start practicing.
>>
>>49446122
Always found encounter balancing to be a pretty easy task.
>>
>>49446052
As DM, players who have an idea for their characters are godsends. I'd make an outline of a character, but probably keep the stat stuff out. Who knows what the DM will want.

>>49446067
I'm biased since I like progression and weakness. I like it if someone is actually bad at being a talker, meaning they have to rely on each other to push ahead. I never force this on my players, if they want the regular 27, I do it.
>>
File: catstgchanges2.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
catstgchanges2.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Figured I'd get this in here early, this thread, might help visibility. Looking for balancing and/or ideas; last suggestions I got removed a lot of the 'you get advantage on X and Y and proficiency in Z' and made the race a bit more interesting. Thoughts?

>>49446002
>be LN fighter(EK)
>be party face because I was voted the leader due to in-character military experience. Left the military to find someone dear to me who went missing, they ended up with the party, so did I.
>thankfully I have a semi-decent charisma score to fall back on
>party's on a ship going to some nation where slavery's legal, at least two party members are against slavery. It also happens to be my fighter's country of origin
>stop off at an island owned by said country
>talk to some of the locals, we're absolutely nailing these persuasion checks to get them to tell us how we can explore the non-tourist section of the ruins
>head down the road out of town, to the next one over
>suddenly there's a scream over the next hill
>slave getting whipped by owner on a private property
>Anti-slavery half of the party goes storming over
>I guess they autofailed their will save to resist trespassing and chastising someone for how they treat their property?
>they roll intimidate or something I don't even know why
>1
>owner threatens to help their well-armed guards teach these trespassers a lesson
>at this point, I'm forced to step in and yank on the metaphorical leash
>apologize profusely to slave owner, flash the military insignia I wear around my neck and pretty much beg forgiveness
>barely eke out a high enough persuasion roll to leave without consequence

And that's how I kept my party from being brutally murdered by my people.
>>
>>49445975

Depends on the table and the players, really. Some tables have character sessions where the table sits down just to create characters. Sometimes, the DM (or together with the party) implores everyone to roll for stats, or maybe makes it Point Buy only or offers both options and such and asks each player how they want it. Just ask the DM what are the houserules for character creation for the campaign if he has any.

>This also extends to the starting gold system and the background personality traits, ideals, bonds and flaws.

Same deal. Ask the DM if he has some houserules if he restricts character creation for the campaign regarding starting wealth vs starting equipment from class and background. If there are none, go nuts. Like I said it depends on the table. Sometimes they do it together, or sometimes they do it independently depedning how they want it (Take Adventures League organized play for example, the forgo class Starting equipment and allow players to but their equipment with starting gold).

As for , traits, ideals, flaws, while you do need to round out the character with a background (for the added proficiencies, and possible equipment), they are ways for DMs to gauge how much one deserves Inspiration. It also helps the DM with the fluff side of things when he runs the story. Like if he sees the character's bond is the Greataxe she uses since it is a family heirloom, the DM can formulate a social encounter where an NPC asks for the greataxe in exchange for information regarding a serial killer (the same serial killer she searches for because they killed her parents) offering some thought provoking choices for the player. That kind of shit. For me, I usually don't let my players fill those up when we start (unless one of them reaally thought one up beforehand) but as sessions go, I encourage to start thinking up their traits, bonds, flaws, ideals and goals when they start feeling up for it.

So tl;dr: depends on the table.
>>
>>49446175
That looks totally fine.
>>
>>49446002
>So, you are on fire with your character, rolling good ones to perform great skill checks and hitting those attacks, nailing those saving throws, but what was the Nat 1 that ruined your momentum?
Was mixing up a large batch of black powder. Had a few powder-horns worth when I Nat 1'd an Alchemist Tools check.
>>
Hey 5eg, I need some advice.
I'm about to finalize my Adventure League character, but I'm not sure how to approach it.

She's currently a Halfling Battlemaster Fighter / Swashbuckler Rogue hybrid, and she's hitting level 5 (so no take-backsies after this). I currently have her as Rogue 1 / Fighter 4 to get maximum skills, maneuvers, and +2 Dexterity. However, I'm also considering R4/F1, R3/F2, and R2/F3 as well. The most compelling reason to lean more in rogue is that there are 2 fighters already (though neither are dex based) and no rogue.

Personally, how would you tackle this? Is this the best way to proceed?
>>
>>49446285
Continue with current levels, begin taking rogue levels.
>>
>>49446285
Getting the extra attack sooner than later is probably the right call. After that I'd say whatever works
>>
Giving the party an opportunity to pull a heist on a prominent noble in a large city. They love heists, definitely won't pass it up. Anyone have any maps of palaces/mansions/etc. for inspiration?

i beg of u
>>
>>49446067
I wouldn't buff it up without changing the limits, otherwise characters become too jack-of-all-tradesy.

>>49446026
Decreasing the points seems a little unnecessary. You can get, at most, 15/15/15/8/8/8 and if you're a half-elf boost to 17(Cha)/16/16/8/8/8. So, for those sacrifices, they've managed to get +3 in three skills and -1 in the others.

I wouldn't call that awfully crazy.
It then takes them until level 8 before they can even max out a stat without any feats for most classes.
Many people will take feats instead, and I kind of figure it's even more discouraging to use fun feats if they have to take a long time levelling up their stats.

The other problem with lowering stats is it really sucks for MAD classes. Monks are heavily dependent on their stats for damage and armour. Paladins and barbarians are up there too, but not quite as badly.

I certainly like to see lower-powered characters and having less +3 stats sounds nice, but it kinda buffs single-stat classes in comparison to multi-stat classes and heavily discourages going extra MAD.
>>
>>49446351
>heist
maybe look up some payday heists, those usually have maps
>>
And DMs out there get driven crazy by players who always try to min/max their characters?

I let them if they want to, but god it's so boring seeing cookie cutter characters all the time.
>>
>>49446436
Any* Sorry, it's late.
>>
>>49446436
>>49446441
I guess try to reward more innovative styles of play or thinking.
I'm probably that GM, but if my players try to min-max way too hard, then I just ramp up the encounters with min-maxed npc style characters to even the playing field. Usually ends in a blood bath.
>>
>>49446436
that's why I prefer to play with my normie friends who don't know shit. They just play whatever seems fun
>>
>>49446002
I had a character named Lando Firepuker

The dude was a sexy half elf chaos sorcerer who was named for his ability as a babe to spit up elemental fire. Mother must have been so proud.

Anyway I commonly made checks for practically anything charisma related. Except for combat or life and limb scenarios.

I convinced an older lady to practically give me a magic fire dagger just from on night of passion, but for some reason continuously rolled ones causing some ill effects (4th edition). For example I once knocked nearly every guy on our boat overboard trying to cast a lighting spell to kill a pirate ship.

I had a pathfinder Druid and one game I rolled 7 1s on a twenty sided in a row, not including the other ones from the week before. We figured that because of the odds the die must have been faulty somehow.
>>
>>49446175
instead of 'always land on their feet', it should be more like 'They don't fall prone from taking fall damage, and take half damage from falls' or something.

The city Felau thing is odd, because failing a persuasion check will not always anger someone. And the DCs are already fairly flexible on that.
Something like 'Once per day, you may re-do a persuasion check, even if you've already failed.' Not to change fate, but to steel your catty resolve and try one last time to convince someone of something when normally the DM will tell you that you can't try again.

On that note, I do think it needs a slight buff overall. City and Feral are fairly well balanced with regards to each other because the unarmed attacks aren't always so useful but hunter's mark is generally more useful than charm person. ... So as long as the city feature is changed from 'you don't anger someone' to something a bit less dependent on the DM's NPCs, I think that balances out.

I still think a little bit of an 'instinctive quick action' on initiative roll would be nice for them. It's just right now if you compare to wood elf, I think wood elf has the same +perception skill +2 dex + 1 wis +5ft speed and then their other features outweight the features that're unique to the kitty girls here.
>>
>>49446499
>>49446495
This game I'm in has this player who is min/maxing the FUCK out of his monk while we're all making characters with fun, interesting backstories. He's just taking builds online and pasting it into his character screen. Drives me bonkers.
>>
>>49446436
They're bad at min-maxing.

The key to min-maxing is firstly knowing how to REALLY min-max, and then how to not min-max on the small things that don't matter and instead give your character... Character, like languages and tool proficiencies and such.

Usually even the experienced 5e players seem to play what they think are cool gimmicks that would totally be overpowered, even if they're actually still pretty fair in the end.
Less experienced people just play whatever looks cool.
>>
>>49446562
What about a free move action whenever you roll initiative
>>
>>49446002
Is there any mirror of dnd-spells.com? It seems to be down.
>>
>>49446495
I like adding lots of real world challenges in with the general theme of the adventure.

I feel encounters oft need more than just "You hit him, he hits you." More environmental challenges like weather, lighting, humidity, temperature. Stuff like that can make a really powerful combat focused character have a really bad day and make the jack of all trades or guy for the job shine.

I'm pretty forgiving for character creation but after a time at age 11 when I made a overpowered rule breaking piece of shit I feel that you need those weak spots to actually have a character.
>>
>be a martial
>have some gold, slowly built up after months of sessions, not about to blow it
>browse the selection of items to buy
>alchemist fire, does less damage than weapons, costs a LOT per use, high chance of just missing, might as well swing a sword
>caltrops/ball bearings, useful for a Thief I guess, and they're cheap so might as well
>Plate Armor, literally just a money sink for martials, they probably made it like that because they knew there was barely anything else to buy
>health potions, our party has a cleric, fights are easy anyway
>I could buy a horse but it would just get stolen or die maybe a donkey instead, those are cheap
>Acid/Holy Water, just cheap enough to be affordable as a single use item, but flat 2d6 is still worse than swinging a sword-
wait just a fucking minute here
>alchemist fire is an improvised weapon attack with a special effect, meaning 1d4+str followed by ignition (you wouldn't say that hitting someone with an empty bottle does 0 damage would you?)
>acid/holy water damage can also be considered an additional on-hit effect to the bottle throw
>therefore they actually do 1d4+str+2d6 per hit
>more than just swinging a sword
HOLY SHIT THERE'S ACTUALLY A PURPOSE FOR THESE
TAVERN BRAWLER BUILD HERE WE GO
>>
I want to have restrictions on PC race selection in my OC donut steel setting. Dragonborn don't exist and tieflings are classified as fiends similar to cambions.

Can I get away with it or am I likely to run into problems? It's not an online game and I'm likely to mostly have newer players.
>>
>>49446595
The original suggestion I made before was 'half move speed at some point' or something.

I think 'move action at half your move speed (rounded down to the nearest 5ft) works just fine without being a bit too much.

You don't have to take that idea, but I think anything that can boost it up a little to contend with
>mask of the wild
>trance
>charm resistance/sleep immunity
>elven weapon training
Versus
>hunter's mark
>feline grace
>on the hunt
>feline claws
Hm. I don't think it's actually that imbalanced if you compare feral to wood elf.
For some characters having hunter's mark alone as if from a MI would sort of sell it, but hunter's mark does eat up quite a few bonus actions.

Thus, I think a full move action is a bit too strong and a bit too fast considering it's right at the start of initiative.
Also, it wouldn't trigger when surprised.

So yes, I think half move speed (usually 15ft movement to start with) on intiative is fair enough.

But, I don't know, it's already quite balanced if you're playing someone that would really love hunter's mark (like a dex fighter). Maybe less so for someone who wants their bonus action for other things and makes less attacks, like a rogue.
>>
>>49446659
Two-weapon barbarian+Brawler+half orc+rage= Every chair is a warhammer you can sit on.
>>
>>49446659
THEY FUCKING LOWERED THE WAGES AT THE ALCHEMY FACTORY?
FUCK THIS, IT'S BRAWL TIME THESE CAPITALIST PIGS ARE GOING TO GET IT
>and so sets off Mr. McPotionBrawler with a backpack full of bottles, burn scars down his arms, holy water staining his work pants and a maddened, drunken rage showing in his twitchy eye, fuelled on ten years of mercury exposure.
>>
What's a good secondary weapon when your main weapon is a Halberd? Should you actually care to get a bludgeoning weapon or just take whatever?
>>
For a d&d 3.5 and Pathfinder kind of guy how is 5e? My friends and I are curious about it. Is it any better?
>>
File: 3.PF vs. 5e.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
3.PF vs. 5e.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>49446765
>>
>>49446758
I like Javelins or slings. Glaive, two axes and javelins are what my Barbarian uses.

>>49446765
It feels like a combo of everything good from those but without the complexity and more options and focus on character background
>>
Wait a second.

Great Weapon Fighter Rogue is possible.

>equip light crossbow. Heavy crossbow if proficient.
>whack people over the head with it.
>you are making attacks with a ranged weapon, even if it is a melee attack.

Now I'm trying to think of a use for this.

Honestly the only way to use it I can think of is if you're a barbarian5 or fighter5 multiclassed into rogue.
>>
>>49446794
Alright. The GWF fighting style doesn't apply, but the feat applies if it's a heavy crossbow (proficiency gained from fighter or barbarian).

I don't know, it actually sounds pretty viable.
>>
I'm running a one on one game for a friend of mine, and I've run into the problem of him, being rather alone, being rather squishy. Now, I could just give him some NPC helpers, and I have thought of that, but it feels like it'd reduce his overall importance.

What are some ways I can make him stronger and better able to solo adventure?
>>
>>49446836
Honestly there won't be a great way of solving that. 5e wasn't made to be played one-on-one, it's meant to be played by a group.
>>
>>49446836
Give him combat control of NPCs. It'd be more like one of those.... However you categorise 'fire emblem' or something.
>>
>>49446836
Have him fight one or two enemies at a time instead of entire groups. Does every enemy in an area of Dark Souls rush you down at once and kill you? The answer is yes, but a player who knows what he's doing will aggro them one at a time.
>>
>>49446836
It's a group game unfortunately.

Your best bet is either raising his level/stats/magic items to compensate or having him fight vastly weaker enemies, likely you need to do both.

I mean consider 2 Orcs is meant to be a medium challenge for a group of 4 level 1 players and you get an idea. One on one the Orc is going to win a lot of the time.

Beyond that just make killing things a side thing and make the focus of the game exploration\roleplaying\ investigation.
>>
>>49446885
>I mean consider 2 Orcs is meant to be a medium challenge for a group of 4 level 1 players and you get an idea
what
Four level ones would kill a pair of orcs before they could move.
>>
I'm looking at converting a pathfinder module or two over to 5th edition to run for a group of friends. Any suggestions for streamlining this process? I've got the monsters worked out but the villainous NPCs seem like they are going to be a problem, and so do magical items.
>>
Polearm Master doesn't work with the lance. Why is that I wonder? I wish it did.
>>
>>49446968
Nvm. I just realized why. I'm an idiot.

The secondary butt attack. Wouldn't make sense.
>>
>>49446908
Do you even CR?

Orcs are worth 100 XP each , a medium challenge for a level 1 group is 200 XP ergo 2 Orcs is a medium challenge.

That's without the multiplier for extra monsters which actually makes 2 Orcs a hard challenge.

I mean consider Orcs have 15 HP, 13 AC ( not trivial at first level) and hit for 9 damage on average (1d12+3) with +5 to hit which is enough to knock down most characters on average in 1 hit. They can also essentially get a charge action making them difficult to fight from a distance but can lob a javelin for 6 damage if it comes to that. They're really almost as good as the party fighter...

Your group might be hot shit or something but for the average group that can be hard.
>>
>>49446663
why mess with setting and ruin dnd for newbies
>>
I am currently making a mounted paladin for an adventure and am having some troubles making sense of some of it.

1. I know the steed can't attack when I'm on it, but why can't it attack if I'm off of it? One of the big guys said on Twitter that it can't attack yet it's an intelligent, loyal companion that can take orders. Is it really unreasonable to make the warhorse gain the ability to use its stampede attack when I'm not on it?

2. The warhorse comes with no saddle or armor. But could I armor it with armor I've bought? Is it unreasonable to assume anything I equipped on the warhorse would keep it between casts?

Essentially: Would DMs out there find it unreasonable if I approached them and asked these questions? Would you allow a player to do this?
>>
File: humie 1465893500795.jpg (110KB, 908x879px) Image search: [Google]
humie 1465893500795.jpg
110KB, 908x879px
>>49446567
Well, tbqh monks gotta be pretty minmaxed to not be a weight on the party's backs. No reason for not sticking a decent story to that DEX16/WIS16 template though.
>>
>>49447130
God I hate paizo's art direction.
>>
File: 1452888409686.jpg (37KB, 319x239px) Image search: [Google]
1452888409686.jpg
37KB, 319x239px
>>49446002
>healing is uncommon an generally avoided

>Level 10 paladin can give someone 50 HP as an action.

God why. Something more like Warlock's fiendish vigor would be nice.
>>
>>49447089
Get with the times Grandad. If your fantasy world doesn't let your players be Kitsune-giant-demons with dragonbreath you're literally destroying their fun with your boring and old Tolkeinesque world with its rich history and detail that nobody cares about.
>>
>>49447009
>15 HP 13 AC
That's pathetic, and they have a disadvantage in both numbers and capabilities. A single spell from the wizard or a couple guys with dual weapons and it would be over in the first round.
It's basically a match of rocket tag where the players have more actions, more targets that need to be tagged, higher AC, better attacks, more initiative rolls meaning more chances to win initiative, and MUCH more capabilities through spells and things like the barbarian's level 1 rage and the fighter's second wind.
The orcs would be completely fucked. That isn't hard.
>>
>>49447317
Orcs have very high damage don't forget. They can deal 15 at max damage so they are actually capable of downing any PC (except a hill dwarf barb with 16 con) in one hit.
>>
>>49447317
>The orcs would be completely fucked

It's all up to the dice, fucker.
>>
Someone please tell me what actions are possible in combat?
>>
>>49447450
Standard, Move, Bonus, Swift and free action
>>
>>49447450
PHB Page 192 and 193 are your friend.
>>
>>49447466
First of all, there is no such thing as a Standard action, Move action, Swift action, or Free action in 5e.

There are actions, bonus actions, and reactions. That's it. Movement is no longer a distinct action, it's just something you can do freely throughout your turn up to your movement speed.

Secondly, the correct answer to anon's questions would be: Attack, Cast a Spell, Dash, Disengage, Dodge, Help, Hide, Ready an Action, Search, or Use an Object.
>>
File: download.jpg (8KB, 255x198px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
8KB, 255x198px
>>49447317

Okay I'm starting to think you are either baiting me or have no idea how this game works. Have you DM'd before? Read the DM guide? Even played ?

A medium or even hard challenge isn't meant to kill the party. The game is designed so players fight through 6-8 encounters per day with some short rests but no long rests. This includes a mix of easy, medium and hard encounters.

These words are simply what the game defines each encounter as.

So by the time your party has reached the 6th pair of Orcs they are out of spells , low on hit points and hit dice as well as abilities like rage and so on and each fight is meant to slowly tax and drain them. ( Because secretly D&D is just a resource management game )

A deadly encounter is one where a party member has a good chance of dying. This would be about 4 Orcs (400 XP) for a level 1 party and odds say that ends up with at least one PC dead. Hence why deadly encounters are generally a bad idea unless you are that guy DM.

What exactly do you consider a medium or hard encounter for an average group of four level 1 players ?

Obviously CR is only a guide and different groups have different strengths and weaknesses which the GM can adjust to but as a general rule of thumb it works.

My original point to another poster was that it's hard to balance the game around one player as all the balance is designed around a party. Although it seems you have no idea how to balance a game for a regular party.
>>
>>49447482
Better question.

How do you get players to actually use these actions in combat ? I explain all this to my group and even add the likes of manoeuvres like grappling , disarming , sundering , tripping and shoving and everybody just basic attacks or casts spells.

I've managed to get a character to perform a shove when an enemy was on the edge of a precipes but that's about it and was obvious as fuck.

I was no fan of 4E but those little power buttons sure got players doing more than basic attacks in combat.
>>
>>49447559
>How do I get players to use these actions
Have enemies set an example by using them?
>>
>>49447009
That's not how encounter building works even a little. 4 PCs versus 2 orcs is considered a hard encounter.

200XP * 1.5 = 300/4 = 75 per player = hard encounter at 1st level
>>
>>49447116
Often those rules are they way they are because otherwise, they would infringe on the special abilities of other classes. It might be trivial for you to have an "animal companion" warhorse if an equivalently leveled ranger has a much stronger companion. On the other hand letting you have an intelligent warhorse companion would be way overpowered if you were low level and the party ranger had a dire weasel.
>>
>>49447559
Basic attacks and casting spells are just better than all of those if they want to kill an enemy 90% of the time.
Have them fight on an uneven surface=trip and shove become good
Trip already=melee advantage so have an incredibly strong melee enemy that they can't seem to defeat, but hint that it's legs look weak to the most perceptive player.
Dash= have a 2+ rogue kite the melee with bonus action dashes and ranged attacks, or put them in a situation where they have to run to survive(Fuse set to explode ship they are on, etc.)
Disengage is good if you have an enemy grappler
Dodge is good if you have a large group of small enemies focus one character
Help will be used if you put them in a situation where the only escape is something one character is good at, but the entire party has to do it one by one to escape(other than stealth)
Ready is literally amazing, if your party isn't using it then I don't know what to tell you... unless all your battles are "surprise! you are on a flat plane with like 5 dudes, go!"
Hide is if you send your players on a stealth mission(if all casters with invisibility you fucked though)
Search will be used if you put your characters in a situation where they have to find something quickly/fight invisible enemies
Use an Object is again so versatile, just give them cool shit to use or have cool shit in the environment that can be used(I.E. alchemical/magical items, boulders, crates, etc)
Grappling is honestly situational so just use an enemy grappler or put them in a situation where they wouldn't have weapons but the enemy would
Disarming is terrible beyond fucking belief in 5e unless you build for it usually, so just have an enemy with an obvious cool item(magic or otherwise) so your party will have someone disarm them while someone else has readied to grab the item and run.
Sundering is similar to above, but you could just have characters with fragile weapons/armour(maybe skeletons or something) and say they look rusty.
>>
What is the most powerful spell in the game, and why is it counterspell?
>>
>>49447771
Because it allows you to say "no" to any spell you can perceive being cast, and if you've got the arcana bonus for it, it'll never cost you more than a 3rd level slot.

Sadly it is still defeated by subtle metamagic.
>>
>>49447771
Hint: wish contains all spells below ninth level, including counterspell.
>>
>>49447943
But you can counterspell wish. Counterspell win every time
>>
>>49447956
Not reliably. So no, it literally doesn't win everytime.
>>
>>49447466
>>49447469
>>49447482
Thanks heaps, brahs!
>>
So I'm planning to DM for the first time this weekend, I very new to DnD and I've been reading about the Underdark and it sounds fucking awesome. I've opted to go with 'Out of the Abyss' as our groups adventure and I bought a couple of the Drizzt books for inspiration.

I fucking suck at dialogue though and I'm not sure what to do. the players start in a pen with 9 NPCs and while I could always get rid of a few of em, I'd rather keep them in. I just worry that a player will ask an NPC a question and I'm just going to freeze up and be like "Uhh..."

How do you guys handle dialogue for NPCs? I think I could make up situations for my players on the fly but I'm not so confident about dialogue.
>>
AFAICT this works:

1) Cast Leomund's Tiny Hut as a ritual
2) Move to the edge of the dome
3) Go to 1

Thereby moving safely, albeit at 50 feet an hour. Am I missing something?
>>
>>49447956
Counterspell requires you to see the target casting, and Wish has no somatic component.
>>
>>49448118
If need be you can just do something along the lines of "The dwarf introduces himself as Theodin. And tells you 'insert plot info here' "

You don't need to put on voices or do actual dialogue. It's fun, but it'll come with time probably. I'm still fiddling with dialogue myself atm.
>>
>>49448139
You can see their lips moving.
>>
>>49448134
If players tried this in my game every surface would suddenly be a natural sulfur deposit that dealt 3d6 every minute due to stinkiness in confined areas and caused nausea. However dispelling the hut allowed circulation of air and prevented this danger.
>>
>>49447956
I Counterspell your counterspell.
>>
>>49448208
From the spell:

>The atmosphere inside the space is comfortable and dry, regardless of the weather outside.
>>
Do people like the combat in 5e?
>>
>>49448292
It's pretty good
>>
>>49448134
Sure, but according to the international union of adventurers and bbeg regulations, the players need to move at least 300 feet an hour to qualify as nemeses of the bbegs. If they aren't a nemeses group to the bbeg, he doesn't have to wait at the final step of his master plan to give the players the customary offer to join him and rule. Instead, the bbeg is permitted to proceed directly to taking over, destroy, or reshaping the world without player intervention.

Of course, if the bbeg is attempting to merge all sentients together into a gestalt consciousness, union rules mandate a final battle of wills between the bbeg and someone. If that's the case, player speed doesn't really matter.
>>
>>49448292
I have no issue with it.
>>
>>49448292
It's pretty basic, but also highly functional. With a bit of DM-side homebrewing it really shines.
>>
File: 1474264684843.jpg (149KB, 512x377px) Image search: [Google]
1474264684843.jpg
149KB, 512x377px
I want to complete a character sheet because I'm bored and have nothing to do.
Give me a character you'd like to see.
>>
>>49448404
Like what for example?
>>
File: ChGZy9RUcAAC_0j.jpg (983KB, 3345x5000px) Image search: [Google]
ChGZy9RUcAAC_0j.jpg
983KB, 3345x5000px
>>49448420
What can you say about this character with only her picture to go on?
>>
>>49448420
One man band using pact of the chain and the new beast master. And bard.
>>
>>49448420
Rolf Shepherson.
Human Barbarian
Far Traveler, from Old Country.
>>
>>49448463
Forgot to say a char sheet for a level 1 character.

>>49448445
You masturbate to it.

>>49448502
Okay.
>>
File: uXUI41C.jpg (151KB, 910x640px) Image search: [Google]
uXUI41C.jpg
151KB, 910x640px
Having DMed with standard 5E in my own setting, I started recently getting really spergy with homebrewing like crazy (was originally shopping around for possible other systems, but I'm pretty married to DnD currently.) Changes are mostly flavor for setting and personal preference, but will include some balancing.

So my question is this- in your experience, are there any personal gripes with mechanics you feel need addressing, wonky mathematics that bog things down, etc? Similarly, any existing alt rules ideas you enjoy? While I'm putting together this abomination with the 5e skeleton, it seems like a good chance to get in some mechanical fixes on the ground floor.

Unrelated pic from misc. inspiration folder
>>
>>49448445
It's another shit-tier anime waifu.
>>
>>49448502
>Rolf Shepherdson
>Old Country
Life has many doors, yes?
>>
>>49448513
My biggest gripe with 5e is that martials currently lack things to outside of combat, especially when compared to casters. Personally i think all martials should get 1 or 2 extra skill proficiencies, or a crafting type proficiency.

Also the crafting rules suck.

Specific class issues
Rangers are shit. The latest rework is pretty good though.

Berserker barbarians, and battlerage barbarians are both completely shit.
Way of the four elements is fun and flavorful, but mechanically shit. Look at the crowd sourced remake.

Warlocks are too good at dipping, and lack late game features to make them better worthwhile to max. Basically, warlocks need to have invocations reworked, and more added.

Sorcerer bloodlines need to add spells to their spell lists. Wild magic should add random spells, which may or may not change.
>>
>GM doen't inform you how the campaign is going to be
>When you ask he just replies "spoilers"
>Be guild artisan
>Can't go back to civilization in more than a month
>"you lose your background benefits lol!"
>Can I regain them?
>"No, kek"
Strike 1 and 2, you have one last chance
>>
>>49446567
>monk
>minmaxed
Kekest
What? did you put dex and wis at 16? fucking woopity doo, they don't benefit from sharpshooter, GWM, PM, etc. There's literally nothing you can do to minmax them by what the fucking class recommends you in the description (put des and wis above other stats and use a quarterstaff with martial arts).

>Drives me bonkers
Sadly it didn't drive you off a bridge
>>
>>49448423
In my limited experience the following two have helped make the combats more engaging:
1) Monster/NPC abilities that allow for counterplay, usually via positioning or target selection. This is a bit mmo-ey one could say but so far I haven't heard any complaints. Line attacks are an easy example of this.
2) Magic items that revolve around granting additional tactical opportunities in limited quantities (usually per long/short rest). An example would be a shield that can be used to attack twice per rest and knocks the targebt back a 3 fields on a hit. Stuff like that.
>>
>>49448513
I think the better question is what do you want to do with this new rules set up? If you are trying to just play D&D but different then maybe instead of making new rules for 5e you try another system.

The DMG has a ton of variant rules, a number of them for a more gritty experience which is usually what people trying to add new rules to DnD want. Serious Injury, Longer times to gain rests, basically everything you could want for a more realistic scenario. They even have rules for cleaving attacks where a martial can damage another enemy in the same attack if it kills the first. So make sure before you start breaking stuff down you really sit down and read the DMG.
>>
>>49448292
It's boring AF to me.

But at least it's not downright bad.
>>
File: AME-Packshot800.jpg (218KB, 800x822px) Image search: [Google]
AME-Packshot800.jpg
218KB, 800x822px
Does anybody want to talk about the Adventures in Middle-Earth book?

I personally really like it.
>>
>>49448723
This, I'm only having fun either with full casters or battlemaster, rest of classes only do one thing and spam it ad nauseam
>>
File: 1462603102365.jpg (283KB, 1827x1060px) Image search: [Google]
1462603102365.jpg
283KB, 1827x1060px
What official adventures would you recommend after finishing Lost mine of Phendelver, /tg/?
>>
>>49448687
You're going to cut yourself with that edge. Also monk is one of the strongest classes on 5e, they don't rely on equipment, they have the best survivability out there and they make 3 and then 4 attacks at will before anyone being one of the best DPR classes.
>>
>>49448993
>inb4 spreadsheetfag
>>
>>49448502
I need to brush up on my Rolf knowledge, so I'll finish up the fluff tommorow.
>>
>>49448981
Storm Kings Thunder. You can easily begin at level 5 directly after LMoP.
>>
>>49448993
You're either delusional or baiting, monk is average at best and probably the worst damage dealer of the martials
>>
File: catstgchanges3.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
catstgchanges3.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>49446562
That wording's probably better, as far as not landing on your face goes.

I was thinking that as I typed it up, but I wanted to see what /tg/ had to say. Silver-tongued isn't a feature I've seen much of in 5e.

Wood Elves have Keen Senses- Natural Predator is slightly better, in that it lets you track creatures by smell.
>>49446699

I've always hated Trance as a racial trait.

Opinions aside, how's this?

Also, what would you compare city felau to? Lightfoot Halflings? Tieflings? Half-elves?
>>
>>49448258
Do you think this is a joke? DO YOU THINK WE'RE PLAYING MTG?!
>>
>>49447956
Can't cast Wish as a reaction.
>>
>>49449064
Can't I wish to cast wish as a reaction?
>>
>>49446002
At first I read this as "eleven eyes"
>>
Is the anon that Homebrewer that made the warlord class still around? I'm running lvl 7 champion lvl 1 warlord right now, 21str 18 con 17 Dex 10 int 17 wis 18 cha. Using an orc great sword with 1d8 lightning added to it, due to an unwinnable fight I won, the dm gave me the feat that boosts hit dice when I leap/jump to attack, so as to cancel out the negatives from great weapon strike. I'm wondering if I should take 8th level in champion so I can get another feat like medium armor mastery, or the crossbow feat so I can use that with a longsword, or take 2nd level in warlord so I can get war cry. Mind you all I've been informed that my party needs to kill a giant king in 1on 1 combat, and I've been voted in as the only person that won't get obliterated by him. So I need to prep my charCter for this
>>
>>49449118
>ludicrously high stats across the board
>one of the better kinds of magic weapon
>weird homebrewed class and weird overpowered homebrewed feat
>blatant misunderstanding of how hand crossbows work

Is this bait?
>>
>>49449285
The campaign has been going on for a bit and I'm the party's go to button push, trap tester. I got a big strong boost from resisting lycanthropy and surviving. Making me immune and a boost to str. Being human gives me +1 to everything, and consuming the heart of a half god yielding gave my character a boost, all of this is shit the dm gave me so I ended up like this
>>
>>49449118
Since this seems to be a really powerful heroes campaign just go 8 champion for the tough feat. You will get 18 health immediately which will give you some comfortable room. I really doubt you need any more damage since you already have magical weapon damage and a decently rare damage type to be resistant.
>>
>>49446002
It was the exact opposite for me last session in our Princess of apocalypse run

>get constantly hit by despite my high AC
>fail almost every hit
>thought the lowest point was when I rolled a nat 1 on my crossbow and almost killed our wizard
>boy was I wrong
>with my still crossbow out I decide to attack a guy who's right in front of me
>he's barely alive
>fuck this I'm not gonna waste a bolt on this
>nat 20
>hit him for 2 damage
>he's still alive and swinging at me
>group has to mop me up afterwards

fuck rolling dice
>>
>>49446934
>Any suggestions for streamlining this process?
Scrap the obsession PF writers have for waifus, Lamashtu being an outlet for the writers' bestiality fetish, and their need to make the setting feel like it was where Dragon Age II actually took place instead of in the DA setting proper.

Just downplay the magic item overload and use monsters from the 5E book modified as little as necessary.
>>
File: catstgchanges3.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
catstgchanges3.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>49449038
Whoops. When did Perception become Persuasion?
>>
>>49446002
A player of mine is the opposite. He introduced his character as a priest of a luck God, and as really lucky. So the group and him if he feels lucky and offers him a deck of many things.

He picks one, and immediately has his soul sucked to the shadow realm. After the party got him back, he's been pretty lucky.
>>
>>49449118
can you post the warlord pdf?
I always liked playing a enabler for my party
>>
>>49450048
Here
My current plan for the giant king is to use some of the cold steel enchanted throwing knives I have to take out his eyes, then just burst him down with maneuvers and leaping great weapon strikes and chain attacks also with my scale mail I have an ac of 21, is that high enough to dodge attacks? (Last time I played dnd it was 3.5 oriental in high school)
>>
>>49450153
>Switching between character genders on a whim between paragraphs
Paizo pls
>>
>>49449566
Why isn't Rogue one of the listed preferred classes? +2 Dexterity and +1 Wisdom or Charisma is right up the Rogue's alley(cat).
>>
>>49450285
They do that in the players handbook ya dingus. Did you not notice they swap race too? They're showcasing several different directions the class could go, a type of intro section every class in the phb gets.
>>
>>49446934
NPCs are easy. Grab the best NPC fit from a 5e source.

Then adjust the HP/saves/damage/etc for the appropriate CR using the DMG.

Add missing features you think fit the character, using other creatures of the DMG.

Then add legendary actions.

Then add lair actions.

Boom. Boss.
>>
>>49450153
Good ideas are in this PDF, but it's mostly an overpowered mess.
>>
Gimme me your best ideas for a "escape the collapsing dungeon/tomb/temple/etc." table for setbacks, /5eg/
>>
Some anon posted a class idea based around augmenting a single cantrip. I thought that would be a neat idea. So far I thought friends, guidance, and prestidigitation could all be augmented in fun ways. What are some suggestions you would have?
>>
>>49450634
Friends makes any joke or anything even remotely funny hysterical. Guidance is someone says. "Hey numb nuts try this." Prestigitation makes the sound of applause when being used.
>>
>>49450504
Two enemies appear and start running with the party to escape danger. On an even roll they do not interfere, on an odd roll they attempt shoves to knock prone as they run.

Debris makes the ground difficult to traverse without slowing down, make a Dex to not lose 5 feet of movement this turn.
>>
>>49450504
'You find a pile of various treasures, gold coins seeming to litter the floor, gems lying strewn about and an odd few rather special looking items.However, you have very little time to properly identify, check for traps, or even wonder if it's worth it...'

The main issue here is setting out a suitable punishment for players that isn't 'you die' if they spend too long chasing their greed. Perhaps the path ahead collapsing, and some of the items might need to be used to find a way through, since one of the items might be able to blast a bit or help them through an alternative route.
And then there'd be cursed weapons they'd likely get fucked by while trying to do that.
>>
So I'm going to try out the new Ranger (as hunter or deep stalker) soon, what would be the build there? I got these stats, though I can re-arrange: 13, 16, 15, 12, 16, 12. Going variant human, not sure if strength of dex is best but we play from level 3 and it's a pretty short campaign. Thinking either TWF Hunter or ranged deep stalker, anything I need to keep in mind?
>>
>>49450924
Or just go regular human and get 14, 17, 16, 13, 17, 13. Then next asi bump put two stats to 18.
>>
>>49450924
>>49450940
I agree here go ranged deep stalker and have 18 Dex and Wisdom at 4. A short campaign means you might not make it to 8 to get 20 so this will be good.
>>
>>49450504
i have a collapsing dungeon room in my campaign. the room itself is a treasure chamber, square in shape, with three tiers of balconies that go around the exterior of the room. there is a pile of treasure in the center of the room and a single light shines down on the treasure from a hole in the ceiling. there is also treasures scattered throughout the room.

the room is guarded by a spectator and if the players don't convince it somehow that they are the rightful owners of the treasure it will attack them and trigger the trap. once triggered the trap releases sand into the room. in addition to having to fight the spectator the players also have the chance to grab treasure although depending on how many turns have passed some of the treasure will be buried in sand.

the idea is that the players need to balance their greed with their desire to live (by fighting). there is a huge amount of treasure in the room but the players will likely only be able to grab a small amount.

players who don't move to avoid the rising sand have to deal with it like quicksand. eventually once the room has completely filled they will simply exist through the hole in the ceiling.
>>
>>49450940
>>49450998
So going from 16 to 18 wis is better than a feat? I'm talking really short, unlikely to be more than 10 sessions, maybe as short as 5. So what you're suggesting means no benefit half the game or so, then a decent benefit the rest, while a feat and then +2 dex would be strictly better before 4 and after that it's at least not much worse.
>>
>>49448134

RAW it does not as another hut cannot be completely inside the other during its casting and thus qualify to cross the barrier freely. I wouldn't worry about unbalancing the game too much because it's hard to be much of an unbalancing threat when you're only moving 1 mile every 4.4 days.

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/03/29/can-you-cover-yourself-with-multiple-leomunds-tiny-huts/
>>
>>49446765
Way more simplified, way fewer options.

If you have no difficulties with math/balancing I wouldn't recommend the switch.
>>
>>49451106
Well what do you want to do? Are you going to take interesting flavorful non-combat feats or will you pick combat heavy feats? with those stats you could do anything. It also depends on your dm. Higher general stats means you will be better at everything on average. Taking a feat to spike your damage through sharpshooter or xbow master is fine albiet boring. Any half decent DM is just going to throw bigger or more monsters at you to keep a challenge going.
>>
>>49448277
I don't see anything about oxygen scrubbers on there. If I had players trying to cheese me with some bullshit then rules lawyer me with nonsense talking about weather I would argue back that the air was already contaminated and they just sealed themselves in a bubble with the poison.

Fortunately I have no one gay enough to try to "win" d&d at my table so this kind of thing never comes up.

I will say that it is an immensely useful spell, is neat, and I would otherwise not try to hinder players that wanted to use this without trying to break the game.
>>
>>49450924
>>49450998
You don't need any strength or any int. You can dump those if you'd like. Charisma for third most unimportant. So, I'd do
16 dex, 16 wis, 15 con, 13 charisma, 12 intellect and 12 strength.

The issue is that at level 4 you'd be stuck with odd stats still because there's no good feat you can take that gives you +1 to dexterity.

Getting the 'resilient' (constitution saves) feat would give you 16 con, 17 dex and 17 wis so you can have 18 in dex and wis at level 4. But I don't know, you might rather throw that feat into something more interesting.
Still, my suggestion means you have really good saves in all the most important saves - wis, dex and con.

I don't think going non-variant human is really a good idea at all when it's giving you +1 in three mostly useless stats when you could have an extra skill and con save proficiency instead.
>>
>>49448187

Agreed, in 5e somatic refers specifically to gestures made with a free hand. That's not the whole of visible spellcasting. They have admitted that the RAW on counterspell is a bit ambiguous as to subtle spell but that the intent is that it doesn't work on subtle, non-material spells.

http://www.sageadvice.eu/2015/10/30/verbal-subtle-spell-vs-counterspell/
>>
>>49448208

I wouldn't bother. Even if it wasn't against RAW It's nowhere near fast enough movement to be game breaking.
>>
>>49449046
You can counterspell a counterspell on your own turn using your reaction, and then the person who counterspelled can't counterspell your counterspell because they already used their reaction.

Checkmate.
>>
Hey guys. I'm beginning a campaign for some friends soon. I've been told many things about campaign stuff. Like have an idea of what level you'd go to (1-5/10,3-9) etc. My question is two fold. Is it really so important to nail down your level ranges? And additionally; as the first couple levels seem to come quickly, is it alright to have the, hit level 3 by the end of the second session? I have a kind of session 0 planned for the first session, giving them a linked backstory. And whilst they won't be recieving any gear or money for this (they'll then fast forward to 'session 1') I feel like rewarding them with level 2 works out well. Should I omit gaining XP for that? Or am I in the right mind to give them XP for this?
>>
>>49451342
My group is level 4 on session 3. there are only two of them so I throw a lot of difficult combats at them and reward them generously. Things are going to heat up for them pretty quickly after they bring the first arc to a close though so they need the levels.
>>
>>49448815
I think rules-wise there are some clear flaws but the whole thing is a nice package
>>
>>49447537
I love the notion that all the orcs you encounter in the orc den are in level appropriate encounter pairs
>>
>>49451212
If it was +2 wis or a feat out of the gate I'd agree, but when the former doesn't even do anything for half the game I don't get it. As for what is boring and not, even combat feats are less boring than a stat increase, I won't go all stormwind and get Athlete or something so whether it's Observant, Alert, Sharpshooter, XBX etc. doesn't matter much for deciding race.

>>49451258
Saves are nice but if I'm going deep stalker/ranged I won't be in their face that much, and the class seems like it would work well with Sharpshooter with the advantage or Alert to secure the top initiative spot.
>>
>>49451342
It can be nice to keep the higher levels as a 'This is what you could be in your future!' by not specifying and end level.

If you do intend to end at a particular level, though, you should probably tell people so they don't plan too far ahead.

You could start on level 0 for session 0.
Still
Levelling from 1 to 3 should be pretty fast anyway, taking a session a level or a two sessions for a level.
It's when the characters reach level 3 that they're usually properly defined.

Rewarding exp for completing quests and stuff can be good, but I'd personally discourage levelling people 'because I want them to be this level for this part of the story'. Exp is a reward, not a 'progress to the end of the game' meter.
>>
>>49451342
its just a guideline, no need to force feed the players EXP because the book says they should be a certain level after a certain number of sessions
>>
>>49451475
If you do feel encouraged to go +1 to all stats like the others suggested, variant human with resilient is exactly the same except:
You don't get 13/13/14 to strength, intellect and charisma (the useless stats)
You get an extra skill proficiency
You get con save proficiency

Of course, other feats are more fun. Getting resilient(con) will effectively increase a stat by +1 (If you do this some other way, you'll end up with an odd number in either con, wis or dex rather than two odd numbers or no odd numbers, so you won't be able to maximize benefit from ASIs), but, as said, it might be more fun just to dick about with feats. Sharpshooter would increase your damage.

Interestingly, if you go dark stalker with con save proficiency, you'll end up with dex + con + wis proficiency and high stats in all of them. That gives you ridiculously good saves for pretty much all the relevant saves in the game.

If your party doesn't have a lot of tanking material, however, you'll likely be one of the tankier being an armoured 1d10 hitdie class with (probably) good con. You may want to end up burdening some of the damage yourself to keep it off of your casters.

Not to mention, saves often affect everybody. Dex saves are often AoE abilities, wis saves are often ranged and could go anywhere, con saves are probably in a lot of ranged abilities too, and a few melee.

Con saves also help concentration on spells such as hunter's mark.
>>
>>49450374
>They do that in the players handbook ya dingus
5e's gender language is pretty tight, actually. In 2nd person whenever possible, and when not possible "it" for creatures in general or "he or she" in reference to player characters specifically.
>>
>>49448277
While what the first guy said was dickish, the spell does say *outside*. If the floor is emitting the smell/gas, so I think it would still hurt?
>>
>>49449032
>Rolf was born 20 years ago
>Age 18
>>
File: dicks.jpg (46KB, 216x448px) Image search: [Google]
dicks.jpg
46KB, 216x448px
>>49451673
It's magic I don't have to explain shit.
Yeah I fucked up.
>>
>>49448208
>Repeated casting of the spell permanently alters the landscape making it inimical to life.

Is your game set in Athas?
>>
>>49448513
>in your experience, are there any personal gripes with mechanics you feel need addressing
It always irked me a bit that falling damage is capped at 20d6 (average 30 ht pts damage), the damage for falling 200 feet. A human being falling reaches terminal velocity at about 1880 ft of falling, or so I've read. That seems to indicate to me that a fall is still going to make you more likely to die up to that point, right? I've considered capping it at 188d6 instead. (282 ht points of damage). obviously, alone this would kill any player, unless there are some mitigating factors. Calculating it is no problem we do all of our dice rolling online.

Now, this may seem autistic, whatever but bear with me. RAW makes it so that a character for any reason falling out of the sky from a massive height still only takes that average of 30 damage. That's enough that some high level characters will be able to survive it unassisted, an walk it off. That's gonna feel odd, unless I just do the "chunky salsa" rule, and I don't really like vague rules like that that could introduce bias,I feel like it's still generous in some ways, but not ridiculously so. What do you think?
>>
>>49451832
>20d6 (average 30 ht pts damage)
That's... not the average of 20d6. The average of that is 70.
>>
>>49450634
Acid Splash gets bigger and bigger
>>
>>49451116
That sage advice covers 'can you have two domes active at the same time' instead.
Though, I'd think following the 'most potent spell overrides the other' should apply and disspell the former hut.

Even so, you could probably move your move speed out of the hut as you're finishing the spell with the entire party using their reaction to follow.
Just hope enemies don't store reactions to fuck you up.
>>
>>49451855
Shit, I was just figuring that out. so 70 for the RAW damage, 658 for revised. Enough to pulverize the player at much less than terminal velocity, which still matches most accounts I've read of high falls without parachute...
>>
>>49451832
>>49451855
>>49451900
Kind of think maybe I should just make 1000ft the cutoff.
>>
>>49451832
If you want long falls to kill someone, then say that they kill them. No need to overcomplicate things when there's a simple solution.
>>
>>49451832
30 would outright kill an ordinary human being in DnD, and then some.

A human is about 5 or 6 hit points.

If you give them due justice and a proper amount of hitpoints, they might have as much as 10 or 15. That mostly depends on the DM though.

However, this means a person can survive from terminal velocity at level 1, even.

188d6 is a bit much. The very highest level characters should be able to survive a terminal velocity fall without magic, I think. They'd be really fucked up from it, and might well go unconscious, butdoing (188x3.5) damage is way, way too much. That could kill a fucking ancient dragon if you could transfer that momentum by landing on it or something.

The system is designed to be very simple and not instantly kill characters from all falls I guess, but I think a system that makes you take a 'bit' more damage with level but not enough to mean higher level characters still survive works out well.
>>
>>49451951
What if there are other factors at play, like damage resistance?It would seem unfair to just fiat it.
>>
>>49451960
>30 would outright kill an ordinary human being in DnD, and then some.
I'm not talking about ordinary human beings, I'm talking about high level PCs.
>>
>>49451979
If it seems reasonable they will survive, then do falling damage as normal. If it doesn't seem feasable, they're a frail old wizard or something, then kill them. It's one step further than setting DCs.
>>
>>49451900
If you are going to be autistic about it, the dice should simply sum the dice before it:

10ft = 1d6
20ft = 2d6
30ft = 3d6
40ft = 5d6
50ft = 8d6
60ft = 13d6
70ft = 21d6
80ft = 34d6
>90ft = 100% of HP

Then it just becomes making the death saving throws or not.
>>
>>49446273
And that's why you take Gunsmith
>>
>>49452009
>If it seems reasonable they will survive, then do falling damage as normal. If it doesn't seem feasable, they're a frail old wizard or something, then kill them.
I was under the impression that players don't really like it when the DM goes "you die because of a trait I decided about your character, not the rules". That's specifically what I'd like to avoid having to do if at all possible.
>>
>>49452057
>Gunsmith
Wat.
This was a 5e game.
>>
>>49452049
I wasn't intending to rewrite the system's whole falling damage system. The cap of 200 ft just seemed arbitrarily low, and I want to raise it.
>>
>>49451960
>That could kill a fucking ancient dragon if you could transfer that momentum by landing on it or something.
Is falling object damage the same as falling damage in 5e? Cause I was talking about the person falling.
>>
What do you guys think of playing dwarf fortress until you lose and after that using the abandoned fortress as the basis for a dungeon crawl with your tabletop party?
>basically /tg/ party adventure mode
>>
>>49452070
It's already there for stuff you can't do untrained/unequipped like tool checks. I don't see how it's unreasonable to set a DC or decide an outcome based on the character, their stats and their abilities, instead of treating them the same except for checks - which would mean wizards with 6 str are only 35% less likely to succeed at opening a door compared to the 20 strength barbarian or fighter. You can play the game RAW if you want but I would not recommend it to anyone, and any TTRPG already has a large amount of input and stuff done by the GM so I don't think it's unreasonable at all.
https://twitter.com/ChrisPerkinsDnD/status/778107495214637056
>>
>>49452049
>falling 90ft is worse than 80ft if the pcs are low level
good job
>>
>>49452241
Well I was advocating a slight modification to RAW. You seem to be advocating something I'm not sure I understand. Why would you set DCs for something like falling damage?
>>
I'm making a strength based fighter/rogue multiclass and have decided to use medium armor after the multiclassing requirements forced 13 dex upon me.
Should I start as a fighter to get constitution and strength saving throws, or should I start as a rogue to get dex/int saves and an extra skill?
Constitution protects against a lot of really nasty special effects while Dex protects against a lot of direct damage effects, if I recall. I'm not going to have any spellcasting ability so concentration saves aren't a factor.
Strength saves protect against a lot of knock-prone effects if I recall, and that's pretty much it, but I also recall a lot of enemies having those. All intelligence saves protect against is illithids I think and I will very likely never encounter those.
I already have all the skills I would so the extra skill would just be going in something dumb like sleight of hand or History.
>>
>>49452187
That's pretty creative, but it depends on how interesting your Fortress design is
>>
>>49446002
During a campaign we just won/lost a fight with a BBEG lieutenant, killing her but two of our allies were vaporized, we had to regroup at a distant town for a reincarnate spell but the sorcerer with teleport was one of the ones vaporized.

We were traveling with an NPC we meet in the first session and it turns out that she was a blood magic using wizard. She told us she can send us on our way making a 30 day long trip instant but it would require a lot of blood, so my paladin decided that he would volunteer to give up as much blood as she needed to use the spell.

Couple slits to the wrists Achilles and throat and I was filling up the sink sized bowl quick. I was making constitution saves to stay awake, I had aura of protection so my saves were pretty good.

And then a nat 1. My paladin actually died right there as the wizard opened a little too much. She quickly realized that she killed him and ripped open the plate armor. His cleric in game best friend and he warlock had to watch in horror as she cut his chest open, cut his heart out, threw it in the bowl with the pool of blood. The magic them was able to be done and the spell started. She grabbed his heart, shoves it back into his chest and turned to the shocked cleric telling her to revive him. The cleric uses revivify and he's back up.

>"Oh wow, I think I fainted for a second there."
>>
>>49452307
I'm just saying to not play the game by RAW, if you want to go the "you jump, you die" route it's fine to still modify it based on hp and features and stuff. For falling damage I'd personally do either a higher cap for more realism I guess (1000 ft cap sounds good), or (what I'm leaning towards) just leave as-is because when you're fighting dragons terminal velocity doesn't seem like it should do a ton to you.
>>
>>49452183
There's no defined way to calculate damage for something falling on you as far as I know, but if the momentum required to deal 10d6 is transferred to a creature via falling then it could sensibly deal 10d6 to a dragon.

However, then we get into the definition of HP itself. In a way, HP is 'combat experience that allows players to get scratched instead of chopped in half by a giant blade trap' or something vague. There's a lot of room where the DM has to rule stuff, so really it's all down to the DM.

You could justify instant death of high level characters from natural forces like two walls squashing them together, running out of breath and falling from a great height by 'You can't avoid it to make it only a small cut, so you take the same percentage health damage as a lower level character would do.'... But then you'd have to ask, 'If a rogue who ISN'T an assassin walks up behind someone and slits a guy's throat, shouldn't that instantly kill them regardless of if they're a 200 HP hero?'

I think the best option is to play into the power fantasy a bit and allow higher level characters to actually survive great falls, but ensure that it will be met with consequences. Likely making death saves rather than instant death, and maybe breaking a bone or two that'll need healing.
>>
>>49452187
Probably a bad idea. Interesting combat encounters need a discerning touch.

You can use the fort as inspiration for a dungeon, but you will have to change it drastically to make it fun.
>>
I have an idea that just posted into the /osr/ general that i want to share here to see what do you think of:

Playing an 5E adventure until making the party lose to an insurmountable evil, but doing so that in the final battle the setting (city, dungeon, etc) gets heavily damage beyond repair.
after that, getting the players into a OSR adventure that makes them discover some ruins of an ancient civilization... and by means of playing slowly making them realize that these are the ruins of the session they played before, eons ago, and they getting key items of their previous fallen PC's so they, one more time, can face evil once and for all...
the key being the 5E adventure more like high fantasy, golden era, and the subsequent OSR more gritty and barebones, like the difference between the ancient roman empire and the early dark ages.
>>
>>49451960
If you're not talking about ordinary human beings, someone with 40x the HP of a human being should survive just fine unless you want to play on the whole 'well, HP doesn't actually make your character any different physically' thing from >>49452399

>>49452187
Pretty nice. Once had a fort that was heavily walled above-ground, although there was still some significant under-works.
Heck, I think as it is it's a brilliant basis for a dungeon. I should check I still have that map saved.

>>49452371
Yeah. The problem with realism here is that it'd just be more realistic to decrease everyone's health by 10x so they can't survive being hit over and over and over with a greataxe.
>>
>>49452437
What I don't really like about this is that you're planning to kill the players off without the players knowing that they're pretty much doomed.

You can probably pull that off, but I prefer 'You might die, you might not. Even the DM doesn't really know what your fate is.'
>>
Playing a war cleric in SKT was a mistake that I'm not sorry for making. The party is going to die, but I'm having fun.
>>
>>49450153
> dead levels
TRIGGERED
>>
>>49452094
I'm a dunce, sorry about that

But the gunsmith's kit is still a thing. Would help with shit rolls
>>
>miss recruitment for RPG society
>wanting to run a game but only have 1 player
>manage to get 3 other players within half an hour at first meeting, roll up characters and play for 5 hours
I love DMing.
Ran all through cragmaw and half the Redbrand hideout, gonna do SKT when we've finished the starter set.
>>
>>49452342
i feel like dex and skill is better than con and str, but since you've said the skill would be relatively useless, fighters decent two is better than rogues good one, and meh one
>>
>>49452342
Going fighter first will give you +2 permanent HP, -1 skill and better saves. It also gives you heavy armour proficiency, in case you ever decide to wear heavy armour.

Rogue's evasion will already reduce dex saves by quite a bit later on, and con saves are the most common saves of all.
Str saves >> int saves.

And if you haven't seen the recommendations from last night, a good mix would be fighter5/rogue15, but fighter7/rogue13 is a valid option for battlemasters, trusting that you're not going EK.
Champion allows for more crits to maximize sneak attack damage, but battlemaster is more likely to prove itself with being able to riposte and deal sneak attack damage outside of your turn if you don't need uncanny dodge.
Also, I'd probably put 1 level in fighter, then 1 level in rogue, then put 4 more levels in fighter (to fighter 5) and then level rogue for the rest of the levels.

That's my recommendation, anyway.
>>
>>49452964
>>49452342
Oh, and...
There honestly isn't really any good reason to go strength unless you intend to do GWFing on a rogue. And even then, it's gimmicky.
You lose access to decent ranged attacks, you have to go a little MAD (14 dex plus all the strength), you get less initiative, you get lower dex saves, you get worse dex skills and the only real benefit to going strength is better grapples and +1 AC.
If you want better grapples and better defence, go barbarian-rogue.

Strength rogues are better done as barbarian-rogues.

I guess you can still justify a strength fighter-rogue if you really want battlemaster or champion AND good grapples, and fully intend to grapple all the goddamn time. ...But then go Barbarian, because barbarians get advantage on grapples while raging.
>>
Anons? Long story short, I'm an aspiring racial homebrewer who, having lost virtually everything with the enworld forum's crash, wants to try and get their creations balanced. I was hoping some anons might be willing to offer their opinions on either the races I have written or which races from my big list of planned stuff I should tackle next?

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XovWm65MSmIzQWSMDMXo0_aIpZgq9YSa2KkpO3kThS4/edit#
>>
File: 1468520191093.jpg (771KB, 1150x989px) Image search: [Google]
1468520191093.jpg
771KB, 1150x989px
>>49446002
Hey guys, I've got the OK from my DM to play a Revenant (Human) Bard as a skeleton man who's revenant goal is to complete his magnum opus. I'm afraid we might end up with the typical 5e dex-fest, and I wouldn't mind being a coy STRelleton bashing around a longsword while vomiting bardic curses, but I'm afraid of the inevitable trash AC.

My options are to either start with one level in fighter for heavy armor cheese but have junky skills, and eventually go for lore bard college when I get around to it so my skills aren't total garbage, or to tough it out until level 3, become a valor bard, and grab medium armor later on.

I get that I can probably stand to not bother with AC that isn't garbage for a while because I'm effectively immortal, but dying a few times still sounds shitty. Am I better off dipping my first level in fighter and going lore or waiting to be a valor bard? Or should I give up and play the DEX game?
>>
>>49453200
Well let me take a look

>dragonfear DC is 8+character level+cha mod
Are you fucking shitting me? Really?
DCs are usually 8+proficency+mod of whatever is related
fucking fix it in all of your fucking homebrew, otherwise I won't look at it any more
>>
>>49453200
Wow. No backups? That was dumb. I hope your homebrews are better thought out.

(Sorry too easy)
>>
>>49452502
what about playing mostly in parallel the two campaigns, and subtly hint in the OSR one that they lose so they can reconsider their plans on the 5E campaign, days of future past style?
that could be a good way to make them change his fate.
>>
>>49453259
>longsword
>str
For fuck sakes the rapier is just as good, the only reason to use str is for greatswords as a fighter/barbarian/paladin, all other classes can use dex weapons and be fine
just use fucking dex and use a rapier, or hell, use the fucking sword cane for style if it really matters that much
>>
>>49453143
Actually, third post, I think fighter 11/rogue9 is also a valid split.

>>49453200
Mul feels like it should have +2 con and +1 str to make it a bit more flexible in what it can be. They're balanced in what they get, but they could really use some more flavourful extra skills to make them more interesting. Dwarfs, for example, get expertise on history checks on stonework and a tool proficiency. They should have a couple of features on that level.

As for that spidery-shapeshiftery.. Thing.

>you can deliver a venomous bite to a creature you have grappled
No shit sherlock? You can attack grappled creatures as normal, why does this need to be stated?
You could say 'you can bite them as a bonus action'. This would normally be a bit inbalanced to allow but it's only really be balanced because the ability scores are shit and don't help a grappler.
+2 int and +1 charisma is very, very awkward.
Intellect is the least used stat in the entire game and anybody who uses int is very unlikely to need any charisma, and visa versa.
I think it's fairly balanced, if only because they're not very good at being anything other then wizards, and if they did try to make combos to use with webbing or something it's balanced out by the stats.
Though, using venomous bite as an action doesn't seem like it'd ever be awfully useful. It'd be weaker than poison spray or BB/GFB, and the most use it'd likely be is as a reaction attack. But you can't use it as a reaction.
>>
So people mentioned wanting an archetype that evoked the 4e Avenger. Isn't that just the Vengeance Paladin? Really the only thing missing is the lightly armored flavor - otherwise it's an Avenger in plate, including marking an enemy and fucking them up, using big weapons ti fuck them up, and using divine smites to fuck them up more.
>>
File: Absolutely_Haram.jpg (62KB, 600x516px) Image search: [Google]
Absolutely_Haram.jpg
62KB, 600x516px
>>49452367
You willingly gave your blood to a witch for use in her dark rituals? Revoke your paladin license, heretic scum.
>>
File: 692411.jpg (563KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
692411.jpg
563KB, 1920x1080px
Crusaderfag from a previous thread, what would make more sense for the crusader to have from Darkest Dungeon if he was ported over, Religion or Insight? I already chose Athletics, Intimidation, Perception and Persuasion.
>>
Does anyone have a 5e DM screen PDF to share?
>>
>>49453300
Oh, all my homebrew was backed up on a google-doc. But all the threads I originally posted were erased, my entire user profile was erased, and even though I've re-registered, I *still* can't log-in to the damn forum.

>>49453287
Don't know how that slipped through. Fixed. It was the only example of that error, though.

>>49453357
Hmm... I think higher Con than Strength makes more sense for Muls, appreciate the suggestion. And yeah, I'd like to give them more flavorful racial traits, but there's not a lot to them... they're kind of mostly based around being really, really tough and having lots of stamina.

On the Aranea, thanks for clearing up; I was unsure of how the rules worked vis a vis attacking whilst grappling.
>>
Bard locks. Is the optimal split 3/17 bard/lock, or something else?
>>
>>49453259
One level in fighter or multiclassing from paladin is the only way you can make it viable.

For a str/dex dependent class such as a fighter it'd still be suboptimal to go heavy armour + strength over medium/light armour + dex unless you wanted to go GWF, but for a bard you won't be raising your dex/str a lot (probably) and thus there won't be a massive loss in initiative, dex saves, stealth etc. which would usually outweigh the few benefits gained from going heavy armour and having high athletics.
>>
>>49453388
Religion obviously, there's nothing if I remember right that would signify him having insight from the game
I don't even know why you gave him persuasion
>>
>>49453416
Depending on if you want to be more bard or more warlock either way I'd probably do a 3-17 split
>>
Before anyone asks, yes, I did give the Renardie Lupin a racial trait that boils down to "you're a drunk". Even if they did use to be so big on wine that being a skilled brewer could get you elevated to a nobleman, it's depressing just how many issues that damn race gave me...
>>
>>49452289
You do realize that without resistance that 80ft average damage is enough to kill a level 20 barbarian with 20 Constitution, right?

I did not think of resistance at the time, but it would only be until 100ft when the dice total is 99d6 (347HP average). At what point do you just call a fall fatal? Just add an asterisk saying you don't immediately die from massive damage from a fall and you are covered narratively.
>>
>>49453427
I have him persuasion because his personality is chock full of inspiring, or in other words persuasive, quotes. Along with his inspiring cry and campfire abilities, they made me think he is a persuasive type guy. Don't know what I was thinking with insight tho.
>>
>>49453384
Not the brightest moment of my paladin career but the world is on the line. Our insight checks were in the 20s and divine sense pinged nothing back.

We weren't sure if the world would end next week so we took the risk. Plus I'm playing a goodie-two shoes Devotion paladin where mercy and compassion are tennants.'I'll save my speech for why you shouldn't waste potential on dark rituals until after the world will be destroyed.
>>
>>49453508
89d6 for 312 average. My bad.
>>
>>49452842
>>49452964
Thanks for the advice, I'll start as a fighter then.
>>
>>49453413
Oh, I know. Venomous bite could have advantage against grappled or restrained targets. It'd still be a bit niche, but it'd have uses, especially because you can restrain people with the other ability.

Thri-keen...
You have infinite free actions, within the DM's reasoning. Free actions aren't often outright stated anyway.

Thri-keen don't really have any useful abilities at all, I'm afraid.
Unarmed strikes are mostly flavour and have very niche applications with things such as attacking while your hands are full or while you've been completely disarmed.
Running jumps without moving 10ft first is... There are very few applications.
Stealth proficiency is good, but many other races get an additional proficiency anyway.

+2 dex and +1 wis are good stats though, so at least it has that. +10ft is pretty unique, too.

Okay, I did miss the +10ft before I wrote all of that, so it may be argued that the speed increase makes it all fair, but...
It only barely matches up with a variant human who took the 'mobility' feat. So actually, it's almost on par, just needs a little boost.
Just change the 'extra free action' for something else (extra bonus action might be a bit overpowered. Extra object interaction is pretty powerful, but hard to abuse, and probably okay)
>>
>>49452289
You probably meant to write

>falling 90ft is better than 80ft
>>
>>49453556
Hmm... I was actually thinking to rework the Thri-Kreen from the ground up; go back to my Dark Sun books (2e Original & Revised Campaign Setting, Dragon Magazine #319, 4e Dark Sun) and rework them. Thanks for confirming that I should do something like that.

Anyone else think that it makes sense to not let thri-kreen quad-wield by default, but that's one of the things they could unlock as a racial feat?
>>
File: 1381305747200.jpg (9KB, 184x184px) Image search: [Google]
1381305747200.jpg
9KB, 184x184px
People who Theorycraft and min-max in 5e are adorably stupid.

3.5 exists to facilitate that sort of non-play.
Why could you possibly give a shit what the optimal Bard/Paladin/?? split is, when you will never have a group long enough to get even halfway to that level?

Theorycrafting is the worst form of turbo-autism. Especially in a friendly-mode game like 5e. Enjoy being consistently dropped from Roll20 games.
>>
>>49451658

"Comfortable and dry" is one of those things that are going to have to be adjudicated by the DM. There are gases that can kill without the least bit of discomfort, one of my roommates is a former EMT and they were always afraid of one in particular because it's possible to walk into a room with 0% oxygen left in it and not be aware of it until you pass out.

So far indicator from the developers is that "dome" just means a semicircle above you, no floor. I would also say given that the sentence begins with "regardless of the weather, the atmosphere" it's probably meant to indicate comfort levels regarding weather effects only and not all possible environmental effects, nor apply any effect to the ground. There's a lot unclear about the spell, though, most famously the developers meant "move" to mean "relocate by a move action" which would prevent arrows from being fired out, but most DMs in my experience allow solid objects to be fired out so that's it's not *completely* useless against siege.
>>
>>49453618
Asking when to stop leveling up a certain class when multiclassing doesn't really seem like crossing a line into autistic territory to me so much as a fair question. Believe it or not some games DO reach levels where these questions matter. Even if you don't reach level 20, knowing that you only need 3 levels of something to get what you want out of it, or that you should get the extra attack as soon as you can is a strange thing to complain about. You are the autistic one
>>
>>49453508
Are you retarded and didn't read your own thing?
34d6 is that damage for 80ft, which is at max 204 damage, so you're wrong. 347 damage won't kill an average barbarian with 20 con because they'd have 245 hp, and you need to do overflow damage equal to the total of HP they have, or in this cause, 490 damage in one fall, so you're wrong again. Sure 99d6's max is 594 which would instakill that barbarian, but you didn't write that, so you're still wrong.
I know you said "for 100ft it'd be 99d6" but you said 80ft would kill the barbarian, so don't fucking pretend that you meant that you fucker
Also as I was writing this I realized your shitty fall damage rules makes the monk's slow fall shit

>>49453583
You are correct, it looks like I fucked up
>>
>>49453388
should also be a cleptomanic and masochist
>>
>>49453611
>racial feat
I think you're thinking with too much of a previous edition mindset, there.

>>49453618
>I want to blindly build a character with no regards with what it'll mean for my character
Building a character is half the fun. If you want a character that really feels tanky, you can build it that way and it'll be more fun to play than if you didn't think about where you put your levels and started crying when it turned out you were actually really squishy.

5e is balanced so that you can have a bit of fun loading out your character, but it'll still be fair for everybody.

The only problem is when people can't justify why they have a multiclass or what skills they have, if it impacts on their roleplay or if they do things like 'I'm not going to take this skill which really fits my character, but I'm going to take perception instead because it's overpowered, even though it'd be more fun if my character was a bit narrow-minded and not quite as aware as a character flaw'
>>
What is the most fun class and why is it warlock?
>>
Does Fantasy Grounds work well with 4e? Looking for something offline to use a virtual tabletop along with Tabletop Simulator.
>>
>>49453693
GOOD point, I remember he starts with Kleptomania but I don't think he starts with Masochism.
>>
>>49453728
see >>49419885
>>
>>49453721
Cause unlimited silent image and unlimited disguise self is fun.
>>
>>49453618
Engaging with the system outside of casual play is fine, just like it's fine to engage almost only with the acting/improvisation aspect of playing them. TTRPGs are so varied and allow so many different ways of enjoying them, that I really don't know why people like you feel like one or more of those ways is bad or wrong. I enjoy making a character, I enjoy figuring out the best way to build a character, and I enjoy playing characters but I can't do that constantly so I naturally have some downtime where I create/build.
>>
>>49453717
Well, it's not entirely out of the question. Look at the svirfneblin; they got their Nondetection at will and Blindness/Deafness, Blur and Disguise Self 1/day as racial abilities at the cost of needing to spend a feat on 'em.
>>
>>49448134

"Spells and other magical effects can’t extend through the dome or be cast through it."
>>
>>49453728
>>49453744

Crap I meant 5e. I don't know how I fucked that up. Hence why I posted here.
>>
File: Bxmjwj0l.jpg (42KB, 640x564px) Image search: [Google]
Bxmjwj0l.jpg
42KB, 640x564px
>>49453734
we are ALL kleptomaniacs on this blessed day :^)
>>
>>49451692
Jesus fuck
In that pic...
The elf's not laughing at the halfling
He's screaming in pain because the halfling is stabbing him with a concealed dagger in the bouquet!
holy fucking shit.
>>
>>49453777
>It's Media
>>
>>49453755
It's probably fine, but not so great as people already have a limited number of feats/skill-ups they can get, except maybe fighters who get a load of them.

And even then, there'd have to be some thoughts at to what 'quad-wielding' is. It'd be hard to balance without a lot of specific rules, probably.
>>
>>49453678
You are so salty it is casing your eyes to tear up dude. Me telling someone else use exponential damage instead of linear if he was that worried about it isn't me writing detailed rules.

You're also raging about damage rules when I was clearly intending for faking damage to take you to 0 and then let death saving throws decide the survival rate past a certain point.
>>
>>49446836
Like someone else said, giving him mooks to interact with is a good idea. Let him control their combat, but you control their personallity.
>>
>>49453816
>does ridiculous levels of damage but still intends to let people have death saves
This would be making an unusual exception to the 'instant death' ruling.
Which is almost as bad as the 'As long as you make a melee attack, an assassin can do double damage crit sneak attack with action surge on a surprised target for ((2d8+5)+(2d8+5)+(2d8+5)+(18d6)+magical weapon damage)x2 and still not absolutely fucking explode whatever the fuck they're attacking 'because, oh, I decided the attack would be non-lethal.' (Yes, they could sensibly knock out a target, but not if they've burnt all their resources on explicitly trying to murder that fuck.)
>>
>>49453807
Yeah, I'm not really set on it myself. Too easy to make the thri-kreen ridiculously powerful or stupidly complex.

...Yes, I know how that sounds after doing the Aranea, but the Spider-Shifter thing wasn't my original intention and I would love a way to make it, the Venomous Bite and the Webbing abilities much simpler to read.

I got to step away from my comp for a while, anons. Love to see any feedback or just requests for the unfinished races; I'm still tearing myself between some of the planar races, the rest of the hengeyokai, or the lingering Genasi... the Sun and Rain were some of the few things I did lost when Enworld fucked up its server.
>>
>>49453816

Some people don't grasp the idea that there's no such thing as "slightly dead," "dead," and "extra dead," although usually this strange form of ASD is only noticed in "guns vs knives" and "favorite caliber" threads.

It is slightly related to a rules question on the 90ft = 100%HP thing: how does the "Instant Death" mechanic for when excess damage >= HP maximum? Does it just not apply to any falling damage or does 90ft specifically get some sort of "miracle test" by going to death rolls automatically?
>>
>>49446002
>unleashing a barrage of attack on a demon the party is fighting.
>Guy is pretty tough
>rolling well with advantage
>almost have him dead
>double natural 1
>on his turn he knocks me unconscious
>Life is suffering.

On the bright side note one died.
>>
>>49448660
But you just have to pay up your back dues.

Fuck him.
>>49449106
>Beholder fails a perception check

>>49453891
I absolutely rule that the "0 and stable" option for melee attacks requires that they survive the attack's damage in the first place.
>>
>>49450153
This looks... Promising. Still needs a lot of work. Why did you not give them fighting styles? And I agree that it is quite powerful, so I would tone down the following:
Maneuvers - You need a list of them for easy reference.
Inner Strength - This is far better than Second Wind as they can use it multiple times for a very similar effect. I would simply make a Warlord version of Second Wind.
War Cry - Make this a regular action only, make it so it grants no healing (only those temporary HP).
Martial Thesis - Drop the additional Maneuvers known, drop the "you need not spend HD to heal", drop the additional ASI/Feat.

Next up is the Combat Schools.
>>
>>49453721
To those who think warlock is the most fun, it's probably because the warlock class is a very roleplay rich class with lots of utility options to help in roleplay as well as other pressing situations.

Personally I think cleric is the most fun class. They are also a roleplay rich class with plenty of options to help them both in social situations and in other situations. The main two factors that push cleric to the top of my list are the flavor of their roleplay and their healing and combat capabilities.
>>
>>49448660
>>49453951
Yeah. Tell your DM that you intended to be with a guild that isn't fucktarded and can understand if you were whisked away suddenly with no chance of paying the money that you might be temporarily unable to pay. Being such a reputable artisan with so much money, they'd be more than willing to have payments for this month and previous month all paid up because otherwise what the fuck is this guild?
If they can't come up with a reasonable justification, tell the DM that you fully intend to take the party to the guild and seize all guild property because it's clear the guild either doesn't give a fuck or they're aliens that need to be stopped. Derail that motherfucker into 'War against the guild'.
>>
>>49453968
>Guile
Master of the Technicality - Make it only one skill.
Change of Plans - Make this only a bonus action.
Just as Planned - I would make it so that it was a long rest.
Combat Thesis - Drop this entirely. Your archetype should have no bearing on your capstone.
>Precision
Shared Fortitude - Make it so they have advantage on the rolls against those effects instead.
Honed Strikes - Just make it a flat bonus, DMs would hate revealing this extra damage.
Mind Over Body - Make it so they have to expend a superiority die for the effect.
Combat Thesis - See Guile
>Terror
Lord of Fear - Change it so they have advantage on fear rolls.
Break Morale - Make it so that on a failure the enemy is frightened. Also, they need to expend a superiority die to do this.
Merciless Strike - Make it so that targets the Warlord hits that are under those effects they may expend a superiority die to crit if the attack hits.
Combat Thesis - Drop this as per the other two.

Also, as I was looking this over I spotted the maneuvers. Completely missed them, derp.

Alright, also I would drop the Fighter Archetype whole cloth.
>>
>>49453412
The official 5e DM screen is garbage. Use this: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0BwCtO5aw9n2LRl9CekVsZjJUd1k
>>
>>49450153
Thanks for reposting my shitty homebrew that I made on a whim last summer because I was buttblasted about Fighters having no utility.
Make any improvements, or did you copy it wholesale? Not even mad, just wondering if it's actually getting better or it'll stay scrapped.
>Prove it, fag
I'm on mobile at the moment, I can post the originals when I get back to my computer.
>>
File: sweet_death__at_last.jpg (32KB, 256x123px) Image search: [Google]
sweet_death__at_last.jpg
32KB, 256x123px
>>49454204
It's not that bad silly
>>
>>49454025
My one problem with cleric is that the subclasses seem so subpar. Trickery is the biggest offender IMO.
>>
File: IT BEGINS.gif (477KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
IT BEGINS.gif
477KB, 500x281px
>tfw might soon be DM's bf
>>
>>49454415
Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.
>>
>>49446002
So, looking over SKT, I just noticed something.
Alastrah - Cloud Giant Daughter
Alaestra - Dead woman

These two names are way too similar. Is there any reason for this? Did they just come up with names at random and were like "that sounds good" and then realized it was used twice so they had to alter one just really quick before printing?
>>
Can't ask in the pathfinder general because its a shitfest of a general full of faggots so I'll post here.

I'm really digging 5e but I'm interested in which game has a stronger world. 5e or Pathfinder?
One thing that really interests me about 5e and DnD in general is that there's so many different ways you can play campaigns like doing a Spelljammer campaign, Ravenloft, some random steampunk campaign, etc.

I'm asking this cause some of my friends are pathfinder only players and I just want to know how it holds up to 5e when it comes to the world building and lore. Cause from what I've seen around the world over there seems really weak and not expansive.
>>
>>49455028
>unironically comparing golarion to literally anything else
You can't improve perfection friendo
>>
>>49455028
Are you talking about settings or being able to create your own world?
>>
>>49455028
it's a system, not a setting. you could play pathfinder in forgotten realms or 5e in golarion if you wanted. either system will suit most generic D&Dish fantasy.
>>
>>49455028
See >>49455108
Both are systems and can be used to run many different types of general fantasy games. Pathfinder has lots of options but tends to also treat said options rigidly with little room for interpretation. 5e doesn't have as many options but this is a design choice to permit groups to make rulings as needed ("Rulings Over Rules").
>>
>>49455209
>Pathfinder has lots of options but tends to also treat said options rigidly with little room for interpretation.

I'm really bad at explaining what I mean but this is pretty much what I've been asking.
That's all I really needed to know, thanks.
>>
Thinking about running a game for some friends who are interested in it (a couple played in my AD&D1E game years ago) and using 5E since I've not had a chance to run it yet - only played it, but I really like the system, I know it's said a lot but it does genuinely bring the best bits from all previous editions.

I like the idea of backgrounds, but I'm wondering if anyone has alternative ways of handling them? I don't like the 'features' as I think they assume a bit much about the campaign world and give the players a bunch of metafictional ability that doesn't suit the old school feel of the games I like to run.

I'm thinking about just having them pick a profession name (or something similar such as 'nomad') as a background, picking two skills they deem relevant, and then a tool proficiency or whatever.

Wondering if there are any homebrew alternative background systems, as opposed to just homebrew backgrounds which use the existing system.
>>
What is the reasoning behind forcing Rogues to use Finesse weapons for Sneak Attack? I have a player who wants to play a WHFB Wardancer with spear/sword (Dual Wielder feat) based on a Swashbuckler Rogue, but there are quite a few rules I'll have to bend for it to work.
>>
>>49455259
Honestly, the game would be pretty fine if you cut the features out of all the backgrounds and just went with skills/tools/language.

If no one gets it, no one is worse for the lack of it.

>>49455263
Sneak attack is supposed to be hitting a weak or undefended location precisely, while your target is distracted or unaware. It's easier to do that with a dagger than a greatsword.
>>
>>49455263
>What is the reasoning behind forcing Rogues to use Finesse weapons for Sneak Attack?

because if not they could use like, a greatsword or some shit?

the idea behind sneak attack is that you exploit an enemy's weak spot while they are distracted, unaware you're there etc. Just hitting a guy really hard with a two handed maul doesn't exactly mesh with that.
>>
>>49455259
I ask my players not to pick a background, they provide way too much versatility for next to zero disadvantages.
>>
>>49455305
>>49455307
The finesse restriction is retarded, should be all non-Heavy weapons.
>>
>>49455263
Capping the damage indirectly, since finesse weapons top off at d8.
>>
>>49449033
Thanks
>>
>>49455356
So the reason for spears and other sub-d8 weapons to not be eligible for Sneak Attack is? Remember that this >>49455263 is the original point that you are discussing, context is important.
>>
>>49455356
You can still sneak attack with a heavy crossbow, which is d10. Additionally, a spear can be used for sneak attack when it's thrown, but not when used to stab someone right next to you.
>>
Is storm sorcerer as fun as it looks?
>>
>>49451340
That's when you get your buddy to counterspell their counterspell! King me?
>>
>>49455397
sorcerer is kinda not fun

I'm level 4 now and I just wish I was a wizard. The lack of spells known is really what's killing it for me, that and the fact that wizard gets to regen spells sometimes and gets rituals
>>
Anons? Two questions:

Back in Planescape, Bariaur stats were based on gender. Since 5e uses the subrace mechanic, do you think it'd be a good idea to try and reference that divide? Say, have "Horned" and "Hornless" subraces and note that there's a tendency for Horned Bariaur to be male and Hornless Bariaur to be female?

Secondly, the Diaboli - a race of chaotic good purple-skinned folk who just happen to look like fairly traditional devils - have traditionally been divided into three subraces; bare, common, and hirsute, but this has always been a matter of appearance (bare diaboli have no hair whatsoever, hirsute diaboli grow shaggy fur on their legs and so look more like satyrs) rather than of stats. Does anyone think that this warrants a subrace in 5e?
>>
>>49455377
Mechanically it keeps them to lower weapon dice and limits sources of blunt damage, but I don't think any of those are particularly important. I imagine it's more about fitting some sort of 'concept of what a rogue is' more than anything, like with monk weapons
>>
>>49455452
Well, as a storm sorcerer I'd want very specific spells anyway, but yeah, versatility is definitely something sorcerers miss. I guess I just mean storm specifically.
>>
>>49455483
I looked it over. Seems very mobile, with some nice bonuses for getting into close range. Could be fun, but unless you cast mage armor or pick up some kind of armor proficiency it also seems fragile.
>>
>>49446659
wait... Does this actually work?
>>
>>49455529
It requires a very liberal reading of the rules along with the most lenient of DMs.
So no, probably not.
>>
>>49455517
Yeah, I like the idea of zipping around like an asshole between spells. I'd probably put a decent number in dex and pack mage armor to shore up AC at least somewhat, though.
>>
So I just got invited to play my first ever game of D&D. It's a new group so we're taking things nice and slow. I used an online character generator to make a level 1 half-elf warlock.

My spell list is kinda meager. Just have chill touch for damage and prestidigitation, which is (as I understand it) a miscellaneous effects spell.

Am I in for good times or bad times?
>>
>>49455596
Warlock is probably the simplest of the casters - a fair number of spells known, few spell slots but they come back after resting for about an hour. Half-Elf is probably the best race for them.

I'd drop chill touch for eldritch blast - it's the warlock's bread and butter - but otherwise you're probably alright.
>>
>>49455596
Where did you find a character builder? Also, you should have more than that for a warlock. What are their 2 first level spells you know?
>>
>>49455619
>>49455608
http://www.orcpub.com/

Just using the basic 5th edition book, no manuals or anything. My spell list is Presti, Chill touch and Charm Person.

Eldritch blast isn't an option on that builder, but I can pencil it in.
>>
>>49455480
So a Rogue using a sap or blackjack is out of concept?
Literally fucking what.
>>
>>49455596
Those are your cantrips (I highly recommend you have eldritch blast by the way, it's a warlock's go-to damage spell), but you should have level 1 spells too.
>>
>>49455638
Basic is very limited. Unless you were told to stick to it, I'd use a different builder. I don't think Warlock is even in basic, so I assume you weren't.
>>
>>49455425
Good thing I always keep a counterspell lawyer with me to OBJECTION.
I check.
>>
>>49455680
>>49455658
I'll find another character generator. Thanks for the advice!

Anything else I should watch out for?
>>
>>49455724
No, builders usually lack all of the options. Have you looked at the pdfs in the OP of this thread? You can get the core rules there.

Are you using point-buy for your stats? Stat-array? Rolling?
>>
>>49455645
For argument's sake since a sap isn't statted out for 5e as far as I know it could be a finesse weapon

But yeah, it's clearly a flawed way to limit sneak attack weapons
>>
>>49455724
You'll choose a pact later. Pact of the tome is the safest choice, but if you want a buddy pact of the chain is okay. Pact of the blade I'd think twice about unless it really speaks to you as a concept, and if so I'd have a look at the cantrips Booming Blade and Green-Flame Blade that were printed in the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide.
>>
>>49455781
I'd rule a sap as a dagger that deals bludgeoning damage and can't be thrown. Which ends up being suboptimal for most characters, but useful for a rogue who wants a bludgeoning sneak attack. Saps are small and light enough to be considered a finesse weapon anyhow.
>>
>>49455755
I think the group is using rolling
>>
>>49455817
Alright, I'd clarify with them what their rules on rolling are. Some are 4d6 drop lowest but I've seen all sorts of variations like rolling 25d6 and pairing them as wanted (that game didn't last to say the least). Then roll, assign as needed and scribble in your racial abilities and adjustment. After that, squiggle in what your background grants you and then do the same for your class. At 1st level, a warlock gets their patron and pact magic so you'll know 2 warlock cantrips and 2 1st level warlock spells. Take Eldritch Blast since most of the shit the warlock gets later (particularly the invocations) key off of it.
>>
>>49455307
If skyrim taught me anything, it's that greatswords are great sneak attacking weapons.
>>
>>49455865
Gotcha, thanks! I imagine I'll have to fiddle a bit with this once we actually sit down, but it'll be good to have something on hand.
>>
>>49455901
Weren't they worse than one handed weapons, and significantly worse than daggers if you actually had sneaking perks?
>>
>>49456041
Oops, sorry, was actually thinking of great hammers. They ignore 75%of armor, which makes them on par or better for higher armor targets.
>>
>>49453891
HP is both a narrative device and a measure of physical health, that seems to be your issue. Falling into a bottomless pit as a genre convention should result in improbable survival, but a more real-world DM should rule the 90ft fall as instant death.

But again, I didn't even try to flesh this out - falling damage makes more real-world sense as exponential.

>>49453941
Yeah, the mircle test thing is what I was thinking of - like giant spider poison.
>>
>>49455814

I'd make it a bludgeoning Short Sword that doesn't kill NPCs when it brings them to 0 by default in lieu of the old 3.5 sap only dealing non-lethal damage.

The special property is probably totally irrelevant, but it's what I'd write it down as on my sheet since this is probably something I'd just ask my DM for.
>>
Question: When making a Bladelock (I know, I know), which is considered a better feat for concentration effects (really just Hex): Resilient or War Caster? Probably not going to improve my Con beyond 14.
>>
>>49446769
There's another major difference: Genre.
3.PF is superheroes in a fantasy world, 5e is game of thrones with wizards.
>>
>>49456474
War Caster.
>>
>>49456502
5e is still fantasy superheroes and a long, long way from GoT (as it should be).
>>
>>49456520
Hmmm . . .
If someone provokes an OA from me by moving, and I target them with Booming Blade, would they then have to stop moving or take the secondary damage?
>>
File: Fuck Yeah 2.jpg (305KB, 800x783px) Image search: [Google]
Fuck Yeah 2.jpg
305KB, 800x783px
>>49456703
>If someone provokes an OA from me by moving, and I target them with Booming Blade, would they then have to stop moving or take the secondary damage?
>>
>>49456767
Thank you for clearing that up anime tiddies. I was iffy on the spell before but coupled with War Caster it seems very good.
>>
>>49456576
>5e is still fantasy superheroes
No, unless you count Batman as a *super*hero and not a vigilante
>long, long way from GoT
Yeah, I can lift 1 ton instead of the 30 I could lift with my barb in 3.PF
Or I can move at 60 kmph instead of the mach 1 I could move with my monk
Or I can jump 30 ft instead of the 160ft I could with my monk
Or I can ...well, you get what I mean

Yes, GoT was a hyperbole, same as superheroes, but the thing is 5e is a 3.PF tuned down in absolutely everything, one is low fantasy and the other is superheroes with sword
>>
File: 1407024237097.gif (885KB, 500x418px) Image search: [Google]
1407024237097.gif
885KB, 500x418px
Okay I just played my first game of D&D in my life today, and holy fuck I cant go back to videogames or whatever after this, I think the DM was good but holy fuck this freedom.

Its like I am reborn, the only experience I had was videogames like Neverwinter.
>>
>>49455259
I can't think of any features off the top of my head that aren't super general, so I don't see how they're assuming anything about settings. But in my experience nobody cares much about the features anyway, they just want their proficiencies. It's not hard to look at the general idea someone has for a character and just come up with something appropriate when the time comes anyway. "Oh paul, your guy is a dickass thief, he probably knows someone who can _____" or "jimmy your fighter is a veteran of _____ war, the barkeep offers you and your friends free drinks".
>>49455331
I'll admit that "collecting skills" is one of the few ways to be a grognard in this edition, but I don't know why you think you would need a downside for having a couple extra skills and a language. Just do the same thing as above but be a dick about it. "Jimmy, your guy is a veteran of ____ war, the barkeep tells you to gtfo"
>>
>>49455340
And you should get +1 ac too, right?
>>
I was worried my Archfey Bladelock would be a bit frail, but
>Armor of Agathys
>False Life at-will once that runs out
>Blink giving me a 50% chance to just fuck off to the Ethereal plane and be invincible
>Mirror Image

17 AC is looking less and less troubling.
>>
>>49455340
Beware the sneaky Lance, wielder of the lance sneak attack. Don't bend over is what I'm saying.
>>
>>49455386
>Additionally, a spear can be used for sneak attack when it's thrown
Still doesn't qualify when thrown, since it's still not a ranged weapon.
>>
>>49456998
Are you implying that cavalry shocks are not usually made as a flanking move, or as one might call it, a sneak attack?
>>
>>49456810
it's still fundamentally the same kind of thing as every other edition of D&D. it's not low fantasy at all unless you have a really weird definition of low fantasy that can easily include a divinely-empowered dragon-person, a dwarf who practices magic kung-fu and a gnome who made a pact with cthulhu going around fighting every form of monster from mummies to vampires to genies to oni. and yes even if you're not as powerful as the extreme end of some other editions you're still expected (according to the DMG) to end up saving planes of existence and that kind of thing.
>>
>>49453899
I'm reading the thread backwards to catch up so I haven't found your original post yet.

As far as thri-kreens go, I would let them start with two-weapon-fighting or an appropriately gimped version thereof, but no attack stat boost. Maybe just "draw two (or four) items at once" so they get the side mechanic that makes TWF look nice but no boost to str or dex that would actually make their dice rolls better.

Not super familiar with thri-keens either, they have a poison bite I think I read here? Rip off dragonborn breath mechanics, I think that should be sufficient. You could probably forgo a subrace too, just give them +2 int or something because the other shit is pretty good.
>>
>>49457009
Different scale of combat there, friendo.
>>
>>49456993
Glad it's working out. Now take sentinel, polearm master, war caster, and repelling blast.
>>
Have you guys played with others from /tg/? I caught an episode of Critical Role and really enjoyed it and am considering trying something out on Roll20 or here but I have a feeling that the game won't feel half as magical. How do you guys feel about Roll20 and playing with others from here?
>>
>>49457333
>Playing with other fa/tg/uys

Who in the shitting hell is stupid enough to do this?
>>
>>49450504
General falling debris obstacles. Different damage dice with different DCs to avoid. Larger stuff can knock prone on a failed save.

Water pours in from above onto the party, str throws to avoid being pushed 15ft in a random direction.

Remaining traps are being set off. Poisonous clouds erupt, bolts of lightning arc out, with appropriate saves. A neglected bear trap could stop someone in their tracks, losing time.

An arch collapses onto the obvious path, blocking it. Perception checks to find a new path, or spend some actions clearing the way if no other path is spotted.

The floor is shifting and turning, becoming difficult terrain for fifteen feet.

The path becomes flooded- speed is slowed, and you can make it deep enough that they have to swim.

A purple worm is fleeing the scene- animal handling checks to hitch a ride on the distracted beast. Get its movement (50ft) for that turn as well as theirs, but they may need to make a dex throw to hop off when it starts to burrow. And it's may be waiting for them outside too.
>>
>>49457333
DnD is honestly the greatest of times with your friends. I wouldn't play it with random people online.
>>
File: martian laff.gif (2MB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
martian laff.gif
2MB, 225x225px
>>49457489
>the greatest of times with your friends.
>>
>>49457489

D&D is fun with friends irl because you already know each other, are comfortable being weird around each other, and have shared jokes and stories to compare new experiences too.

D&D with strangers is like making new friends. If you can get over your social issues, it can be just as fun as playing irl.
>>
>>49450634
I would recommend looking at the White Lotus academy from 4e. Thematically it was a school that studied the fundamentals of casting, practicing cantrips even beyond rote memorization. Mechanically it was a suite of feats that granted additional effects when you cast a cantrip, like +1 to defenses, or letting you shift 1 square (move 5 feet wihtout provoking OA). There was also a paragon path called Academy Master that further powered up at-wills, adding extra dice to effects, or turning them into save ends effects.
>>
BBEG: Wood-elf high-level Druid is disgusted with civilization, and feels that it needs to be destroyed. The peoples of the world must return to the earth, and live in harmony with it as nature intended.

How does the druid destroy civilization?
>>
>>49458730
Overgrowing cities with giant magical plants, and running down survivors with magical beasts.

Otherwise, bringing about natural disasters like floods and earthquakes. Rather than fighting things like in the previous example the party would follow the druid to individual places to thwart each disaster.
>>
Class change into a wizard and time travel to a point before civilization. Turn back into a druid and build the world in her perfect image.

(Or find a time travelling artifact)
>>
>>49458786
Time travel, as >>49458790 mentions, is good. As would be large scale natural disasters destroying cities and the like. You're probably going to need some artifacts or other DM fiat for destruction on a global scale, though.
>>
>>49458730

High level druid spells include earthquake and tidal wave. I can leave the rest to your imagination, hopefully.
>>
>>49458730
Natural Disaster Master.

The Nine Hells hath no fury like a woman scorned, and Mother Oerth is PISSED.
>>
>>49458730

Summon WEAPON from FF7
>>
>>49458730
Infiltrating societies with plant people that kidnap folks and replace them with creepy facsimiles.

Opening a portal in time to bring forth fucking dinosaurs.

Makes a deal with aliens to achieve their level of advanced harmony.

Goes around with packs of animal cronies stealing all the gold, hoping to collapse commerce and then society will follow.
>>
>>49458730
Manipulates the planet so that the continent containing the most loathsome societies crashes into the continent containing the most fierce and powerful examples of nature's wrath.

Leads a revolt of domesticated animals. Cows, cats, dogs, horses rise up and kill their masters.

Constructs a dungeon to tempt in societies guardians, armies, and heroes to slaughter them.
>>
>>49458730

Create captain planet rings, scatter them around the world. Send groups of adventurer's to acquire them. Have the rings drain their power when they are at their strongest and summon a super powered, militant captain planet to reign destruction upon civilization.
>>
File: 1473912103405.jpg (185KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
1473912103405.jpg
185KB, 700x525px
How many points of interests do you guys put into your locations? How would the size, location, purpose, or wealth change the number of points?

Asking mostly because I'm starting my own campaign and could use some help.
>>
>>49455468
no need for a subrace if it is just fluff/appearance, just allow a choice

diff genders with diff strengths and weaknesses could work as a sub race thing but non-neckbeards might get mad about mysoggyknees
>>
>>49459091
Yeah, I didn't think the diaboli needed a subrace myself.

As for the Bariaur, what I was thinking of doing for them boils down to "Horned and Hornless Bariaur interbreed freely, and even parents of one type often have children of the other. In most herds, the majority of Horned Bariaur births tend to result in male Bariaur, whilst Hornless ones are the opposite; there are still many horned females and hornless males, but in most herds these are a minority, though in some herds they may actually be the norm". Acknowledge the reference, but try to remove the in-built sexism.
>>
So, in general, any anons got any suggestions for what races I should try to get written up from my list next? I know I need to start writing, but I got so many that I'm hard-pressed to choose between them...

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XovWm65MSmIzQWSMDMXo0_aIpZgq9YSa2KkpO3kThS4/edit#

For those who'd rather not poke around and try to figure it out, here's the direct list of what's on the menu:
Lizardfolk
Pterran
Bladeling
Bariaur
Githyanki
Githzerai
Fey'ri
Tanarukk
Rogue Modron
Hamadryad
Satyr
Huldra
Shardmind
Diaboli
Ice Genasi
Sun Genasi
Dust Genasi
Rain Genasi
Magma Genasi
Blight Genasi
Smoke Genasi
Tanuki
Mujina
Kawauso
Bakeneko
Itachi
Kappa
Tengu
Spellscale
Vyrloka
>>
>>49458730
Tricks a large widespread religion into thinking they've received apocalyptic revelation, and they are now getting involved aggressively in every aspect of people's lives.
>>49459088
Outline plot shit if necessary, past that just let the party ask if there's this thing or that thing in town, and provide it if necessary. "Is there a blacksmith shop nearby?" You bet your ass, what are you looking for?
>>
>>49459145
Why not wait for volo's guide before you start making more races? What if there's something in there you're working on?
>>
>>49459156
Because Volo's Guide is at least two months away and, of that list, the only possible ones I feel confident might be in it are the Fey'ri and Tanarukk, since they're basically elf/orc tieflings and they came out of the Forgotten Realms in the first place.

Yeah, I know Volo's Guide is coming. But I'm impatient and, frankly, I want to see what I can do for a given race. It gives me something to do while I wait.
>>
>>49459195
Fair enough, I suppose. I'd love to offer you some suggestions but I'm not really down with player monsters and stuff like that, it changes the tone of the game for me but I know that's a personal thing.

I'm glad to see people home brewing so much in these recent threads if for no other reason than it expands greater understanding of game design and the particulars of the system.
Thread posts: 353
Thread images: 29

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.