[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Space 1889

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 4

File: Space1889rpg.jpg (58KB, 344x475px) Image search: [Google]
Space1889rpg.jpg
58KB, 344x475px
Has anyone ever played this? If any of you guys have how is it like? Any stories of sessions and what not would be cool. Also is the system and good and is the setting fun? If not then what is a good system/setting that is like Space: 1889?
>>
I love this game to tears and ran a full year long campaign alongside several one shots.

Step 1, totally redesign combat.
>>
>>49429932
What kind of stuff goes on in it? What kind of vibe does it give off? Also, a fellow fa/tg/uy where can I get the pdf?
>>
Once had a player mow down 20 escaped convicts in the street with a Maxim near the climax visiting London.

You should really fill in the gaps furnished by the book and go buck wild, it make the experience golden for us--you need to plan ahead or be an improv pro tho.

Play none of the prebaked adventures they are all terribly railroady.

Maybe give the PCs and airship early-ish on, but I found a boat confined to canals (we disregarded the canonical width restrictions of the book in the name of fun) was a very good way to keep travel interesting and tense.
>>
>>49429958
I own the book, hmmm, a .pdf...

You fight barbarous flying bat Martian men trying to stove in your head, you navigate Machiavalian and cryptic Martian politics full of sex and hallucinogenic drugs, experience strange cults and struggles against tyranny, the odd field battle, "privateering" in the sky, face off against some of the batshit powerful wildlife

Also I've literally never found another fa/tg/uy interested in this game so just moderate your expectations, sorry2say
>>
I loved the setting but the mechanics had issues. The flavor text and art made the game for me.
>>
>>49429905
>If not then what is a good system/setting that is like Space: 1889?
GURPS does it well
>>
>>49430361
There is a HEX version out there, but I think it is only available in German.
>>
>>49430390
I am almost certain there's a Space: 1889 GURPS splatbook.
>>
>>49430361
What kind of issues with the mechanics of the game where there?
>>
File: 1474342199345.jpg (1021KB, 1820x1254px) Image search: [Google]
1474342199345.jpg
1021KB, 1820x1254px
>>49430545
It's a d6 pool system, and simply put characters get wicked-retarded good after awhile. Following the default difficulty rubric minmaxers approach demigodhood, which official materials addressed thru heavy handed railroading.

Ultimately with enough discretion and restraint on the DMs part only the combat needs replacement.

Personally playing up the exotic otherness of these Martian societies and exploring how they lived in the remnants of something once far grander really made it for me.
>>
Depends on how you play it, actually. You should flesh out Earth as historically acvcurate as possible. Bearded, bomb throwing anarchists trying to disrupt the Empire. The Great Game. Exotic locations and people. Maybe the odd Martian prince and entourage, with their converted liftwood galleon, putting on a show of excessive grandeur Remember, solar boiloers work out to the Belt. You could have some sort of space Ahab, hunting for a celestial Moby Dick that might or might not exist. Put Captain Nemo in Space, right besides Robur le Conquérant!
>>
>>49429905
>>49429932

Space:1889 is a brilliant setting hampered by a pretty clunky system that gaming archaeologists will appreciate a fine example of 80's GDW. Although The Soldier's Companion does have a fairly good self-contained wargame amid the Steamtanks and list of correct regimental buttons.

Luckily a new edition was published a few years ago using the Ubiquity system and is much smoother. Pair it with Leagues of Adventure and Hollow Earth Expeditions for rollicking tales of Adventure-Science.
>>
>>49430390
Yeah, I played GURPS Space: 1889 and is was wonderful. Great setting.

Though your mileage may vary depending if you like alt-history and fun-science stuff. It is a bit Westerns and a bit pulp and a bit sci-fi all squished together into a yummy goo.

>>49430438
I have never seen one, I know there are a few Savage Worlds books for it though, if you're into Savage Worlds.
>>
File: luftpirat3.jpg (101KB, 715x415px) Image search: [Google]
luftpirat3.jpg
101KB, 715x415px
>>49432837
Of course, Robur and Nemo would first have to halt Kapitan Morr's dominance of the Ether in his Raumship...
>>
Oh and Venus is definitely a treat to visit, iDid it as a he crawl due to variety of dinosaurs and weather effects one might encounter.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.