[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Sell me on your favorite fantasy RPG

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 1455910400929.jpg (208KB, 850x1049px) Image search: [Google]
1455910400929.jpg
208KB, 850x1049px
Hey /tg/,
I'm going to run a home brew fantasy setting with my friends and I'm not sure what system I want to use. Here are some features I like in games:

>Combat that is in some way dynamic or interesting, ie through the use of abilities or interesting mechanics
>Good progression system
>Enchanted gear or fun loot. Basically nice rewards for the players
>A narrative focus
>Rules that aren't way too crunchy or require constant reference to the rulebook. Basically a nice flow to the game

None of these are necessary for the system, this is just to give you guys an idea of what I like. What systems do you guys recommend and why?
>>
Fellowship or Dungeon World.
>>
>>49427536
I've heard really good things about dungeon worlds. Can you tell me about it?
>>
File: 010last-logo-z.jpg (949KB, 1899x384px) Image search: [Google]
010last-logo-z.jpg
949KB, 1899x384px
>>49427472
>>Combat that is in some way dynamic or interesting, ie through the use of abilities or interesting mechanics
Each system claims that. Few deliver.
>>Good progression system
So... DnD? Class/level isn't really a thing.
>>Enchanted gear or fun loot. Basically nice rewards for the players
That's not systems, that's GMing.
>>A narrative focus
Okay. That can mean many different things.
>>Rules that aren't way too crunchy or require constant reference to the rulebook. Basically a nice flow to the game
This eliminates most candidates. A good choice of criteria.

Try Reign Enchiridion and mod the ORE mechanics as you like, they mod really well. And Reign is a solid base. It has a great combat or skill duel dynamic where opponents interrupt actions. There's some swish but no whittling, damage costs limbs or life suddenly. You can make it as narrative as you want starting with framing challenges all the way to introducing relationships as stats.

Fate could work. Runequest is good.

You should also look at Torchbearer.
>>
>>49427472
If you are still around, gonna go ahead and shill Strike!
>>
>>49427598
It's Apocalypse World for fantasy.
>>
>>49427472
have a look at runequest. Everything is percentile based and mechanics are mostly the same. You wanna climb a rock? Have a climb score of 40? Throw 40 or lower with a d100. You wanna hit somebody with your sword? Throw under your swordskill with a d100. Hits connect to different body parts and can be parried by the enemy or dodged. Bodyparts can be dissabled or just plainly severed. Hitpoints are low and combat is lethal. Armour reduces damage.

Leveling is pretty straight forward. If you use a skill succesfully in a stressfull situation you ask the dm if he thinks you can raise the skill. If he aggrees with you you put mark a box next to the skill and at the end of the session you try to roll higher than the skill on a d100, making it harder to level up if you are better at the skill.
>>
>>49431503
Stop shilling Strike!

Why does /tg/ keep shilling Strike!?
>>
>>49433198
I don't know. I only shill AD&D 1st edition and Rifts (I don't care what people say, I still like them both).
>>
>>49433198
Stop pretending this is something /tg/ does.
It's one guy.
And at this point he seems to be doing it just to get a rise out of you, personally.
>>
>>49427472
>sell me on YOUR fave fantasy rpg thread
>here's my likes, what do you recommend?
op equals faget
>>
>>49433385
>>49433198
I mean, it's a nice bonus, but it's also my current favorite.
>>
>>49432370
No, that would be Apocalypse World: Fallen Empires.
Dungeon World is a poor mockery of Apocalypse World.
>>
>>49427472
Sort of unclear here. Like >>49433516 points out, do you want *our* favourite RPGs or do you want RPGs that satisfy your criteria?

Also a lot of your criteria seems more a matter of GM style rather than an intrinsic system property.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.