[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So /tg/, I know the first rule is to never take advice from /tg/,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: confused as fuck.gif (373KB, 500x350px) Image search: [Google]
confused as fuck.gif
373KB, 500x350px
So /tg/, I know the first rule is to never take advice from /tg/, but I'm just kind of out of options here.

I create systems (several at once, even) but am nigh unable to GM due to anxiety issues.

Here's the deal: I'm a system enthusiast, to say the least, and playing is no problem to me. But, because I design systems (hard to call an almost ready book a homebrew anymore), it would be expected that I also like and am able to GM.

But the problem is that while I am a decent GM, I have some serious problems with anxiety that seem to pop-up only when GMing. I think it's mostly a combination of OCPD and perfomance anxiety, but it's really debilitating.

I get enormous pressure that makes me delay games for long periods and chicken out of days when I would be available. I just can't do it properly, and god forbid if I have to GM twice in a week, I feel like dying after that.

Any advice, /tg/?
>>
Consider going on anti-anxiety medication.

Also >>>/adv/
>>
>>49422747
>I create systems (several at once, even)
Post one
>>
>>49422747
its probably because the game systems you make suck, and deep down you know this
>>
>>49422747
Alcohol. Alternatively, just get used to it. You don't seem to handle stress well; if you force yourself to do it more and more often, you'll get used to the stress, loosen up a bit.

Look up some anti-anxiety breathing exercises and try them, see if they help.
>>
>>49422747
I think you should get over your fear of rejection.
>>
>>49422747
>hard to call an almost ready book a homebrew anymore

How much playtesting of the system have you done ?

Your GMing anxiety means I'm expecting an answer of 'very little' if or 'none'. Which would mean that your system is nowhere near ready.
>>
>>49422747
If you're really that nervous, maybe talk to a therapist.

Also, you could try not doing it in person. I GMed for years in person, was pretty good at it, but always uncomfortable because I have a lot of social anxiety as well. Then I started doing it over Skype and Tabletop Simulator, and now I feel much more relaxed. Something about people not seeing me takes away all the anxiety. I do voices, act out NPCs, put people in awkward scenarios, get into the game in a way I never could face to face.
>>
Maybe find a partner you can trust and who understands you and what you're. Someone who's good at the stuff you're not and maybe not so good at the stuff you like to do.
>>
File: S.TAG.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
S.TAG.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>49432158
Playtesting it currently... But the written portion is lacking only some final fixes, polish and art and it's ready. Layout and all. File related. While the system itself is setting-agnostic (for a good reason), I am currently developing them, and first one will probably be ready in a few months.

I'm a writerholic with the system, and with my anxiety it's hard to playtest. I could, of course give it to someone who GM:s more relaxedly, but I am unsure about most of my options on that front.

>>49427736
Can't. Hate alcohol and also have liver problems. Breathing exercises might do something though, will look those up.

>>49430214
>get over it.exe
Yeah, sure.

>>49432421
Actually, the game that causes me most anxiety at the moment is thru Tabletop Simulator...

>>49424342
I have made two one-sheeters, kinda fun for oneshots, but nothing serious. File related is 0.93a-something of my main system, S.TAG. I have numerous system ideas, concepts and even wholesome systems flying in my head at all times, though.
>>
>>49432421
Continuing on >>49432721, I forgot to add that my stress over that game does not come from execution. I actually feel much more at home with this setup. The problem is that my player is a little bit of demanding, wanting maps when I cannot provide any, so I stress over making maps.
>>
>>49422943

Medication is often effective but it has side-effects and it is not a long-term solution, since either you stop taking them and symptoms resume or you develop a dependency and a higher tolerance.

Counseling or other psychological services have effective and reliable treatments for anxiety issues. OCD is more difficult to treat than anxiety in most cases since the underlying causes are much more difficult to determine, but success in treating OCD is more likely than not in most cases.
>>
>>49433174
Note, OCPD is harder to treat than OCD but is less severe in most cases. It just causes me to be uncontrollably anal, making sure that I cannot do things unless they go exactly as I plan them to.

I am for example a musician of 8 years who has never created a single piece of music in a way that I've been satisfied with it.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.