[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MTG Modern General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 341
Thread images: 34

File: 1471447126597.png (155KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
1471447126597.png
155KB, 265x370px
Magic: The Gathering Modern General
(competitive discussion)

SCG Orlando Modern Open Top 32
>http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/deckshow.php?&t%5BC1%5D=28&start_date=09/16/2016&end_date=09/18/2016&start=1&finish=32&event_ID=47&city=Orlando&state=FL&start_num=25&start_num=0&limit=32

Decklists:
>http://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern#paper

Primers:
>http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern

FULL Kaladesh spoiler
>http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/card-image-gallery/kaladesh
>>
What's the strangest working deck you've ever played against?
>>
>>49419274

>inb4 that dude shitposts his own spellweaver helix deck again
>>
>>49419274
I dont even know he called it but i played against some guy at my lgs who was playing a deck i had never seen before.
He was running full playsets of kor firewalker and blood moon, ajani elspeth and nahiri and land destruction package.
I dont know how well he did against others but his deck was basically designed to beat burn so i got stomped.
Also restore balance is a hilariously jank deck that can still win
>>
>>49418881
>8 rack in 7th

hahahahaha god bless America
>>
>>49419537
I kinda want to see that.
>>
I wonder if the Masterpiece series will do anything to prices now that they are in every set.

Probably not...
>>
>>49419690
Even if they prevented prices from rising i would be happy. They probably wont but i think its the best we can hope for.
>>
>>49419690
At most, they'd maybe shake loose a few copies of cards that would otherwise be stuck in EDH decks as EDH players swap them out for the shinier versions.
>>
>>49419690
They will lower the price of standard cards that would likely to see play in modern.

They are smart enoguh to not put them on SoI where the best modern card in standard is, so we still have to chase the important cards
>>
File: bh92n379rr4dcavbzdpi.png (939KB, 651x481px) Image search: [Google]
bh92n379rr4dcavbzdpi.png
939KB, 651x481px
>>49419274
Lantern
>>
File: Image-24.png (143KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Image-24.png
143KB, 223x311px
What would bbe replace in jund decks? Do you think it would be as much a staple as it was before the ban if it was unbanned?
>>
>>49418881
Infect is fucked boys! Buy your tron lands now.
>>
>>49419606
I think RB got better once it started running the Nahiri package.
I was playing the deck before SoI and adding in a bunch of walkers was usually a pretty good option, the deck just needed something to push it into "semi-viable"

>>49420371
either this or hierarch and inkmoth both see 30% price bumps
>>
>>49419757
>SoI where the best modern card in standard is

But anon, mad lumberjack is from EM
>>
I'm surprised nobody online is writing articles about infect after Orlando
All I've seen is comments about Bant Eldrazi and stuff like Zoo and Burn
Hierarch hasn't changed in price either, I figured it'd go up a few bucks
>>
>>49420430
I can't imagine they want to fuck the deck hard enough to ban Glistener Elf, so it's probably just Become Immense or Mutagenic Growth getting taken out.

Banning Inkmoth wouldn't stop the real problem they're having with early kills, and it would hurt Affinity as a bystander, so they're not likely to do that. Blighted Agent and all the other pump spells are more-or-less "fair" comparatively.
>>
>>49420359
It would be utter cancer. It would probably replace 1 of the copies of a few things due to it essentially being an extra copy of a random card on the list.
>>
>>49420613

>BBE into kommand
>3 for 1

fuck man.
>>
>>49420606
I was thinking BE if they wanted to fuck with Suicide Black but the deck isn't really putting up the numbers so I don't know if they want to mess with that
They might just leave the deck as is, it's really strong but they might want to keep it in the format to police slow decks

>>49420359
no idea, but it would be really good. There's more broken shit to hit than ever. Imagine getting this into lili, decay, goyf, command, terminate
>>
>>49420761
>They might just leave the deck as is, it's really strong but they might want to keep it in the format to police slow decks

It'll still do that fine without Become Immense or Mutagenic. Right now it's so fast it's policing other fast decks.
>>
I love running Hibernation in my sideboard. So good against bogle decks.
>>
>>49421176
I love running guttural response in my boggles side board. So good against blue.
>>
>>49421229
>playing bogles
>>
>>49421367
>playing blue
>>
>>49419274
Enduring Renewal with blood artists and zula-port cutthroats, then playing X cost creatures for 0 until the enemy died. Incredibly bad against counter magic, but I wasn't running any.
>>
>>49420872
They might actually hit Apostle's Blessing
It sounds weird, but the card can act as a 1 colorless mana counterspell against a lot of decks. One of the problems with the deck is that it can kill on turn 3 with protection, and since most of the decks in the format run path and bolt instead of blue counters, the card does a lot of work. Taking it out would make the deck a lot riskier while still retaining it's speed
>>
>>49419274
lost as AN vs some red white hand dump aggro
probably misplayed one of the games though
>>
>>49421554
Phyrexian mana was a mistake
>>
Why does no one ever discuss banning Lilly? Seriously she's a plague on Modern.
>>
>>49421664
Because git gud.
>>
>>49421589
So was Delve
Really makes you think about what exactly R&D is doing
>>
>>49421889
>Really makes you think about what exactly R&D is doing

Constantly and consistently undervaluing cost-reduction effects.
>>
>>49421889

Worrying more about standard, edh, and limited. If you notice, Ruse Cruise wasn't banned in limited nor standard.

Sometimes they'll intervene and push shit like Eldrazi Winter, since they knew that OGW and BFZ wouldn't sell shit without a pushed as fuck tribe.
>>
Hooting mandrills is a better card than tarmogoyf
>>
File: GloriousIllusion-SDLI-EN-C-1E.png (354KB, 308x450px) Image search: [Google]
GloriousIllusion-SDLI-EN-C-1E.png
354KB, 308x450px
>>49418881
I didn't know MtG designers played Lightsworns.
>>
>>49421889
Their biggest problem is they only test for sealed, draft, and standard. So stuff like phyrexian mana is less "good" (because life totals matter more), delve is less of an issue (when you cant usually fill your graveyard as quickly), etc.

And I really think that the people testing these cards are legitimately bad players. They constantly push standard strategies that never actually work (see BR Vampires), make terribad metagame predictions (Mardu dominating KTK standard), and are completely blindsided by cards they thought were awful (Collected Company).

What they need to do is hire a bunch of pro players to test this shit, instead of game designers who seem to have no clue about basic game theory.
>>
>>49422159
Can confirm that even game designers that SPECIALIZE in card games will routinely miss combos that pro players spot in seconds.

You NEED that sort of high-level testing just as much as you need the low-level testing.
>>
>>49422159
Eh, the reason phyrexian mana is worse in draft isn't the life. Even if git probe or mental misstep were free they wouldn't be priority picks in draft. It's that most of the spells do niche things so they're not super useful in draft, but in a constructed format it means decks that want those things, but shouldn't have them for color reasons, get them.
>>
>>49422159

Or how they thought that Eldrazi in modern wouldn't have been as dominant as it was with Eye and Temple
>>
>>49421589
Fuck off maro
>>
>>49422430
They admitted that they knew it was going to be strong though, they did right after the ban

Seriously though, I think Blessing is one of the best cards in the deck, despite only being at 2-3 copies. Mostly likely though they'll want to hit BI bc kneejerk
>>
I'm going to be a retard and waste my money on buying cards in speculation of a possible sfm unban. I already got my 4 sfms from the recent gps but I'm wondering which and how many of her common tutor targets I should get. So far I already happen to have a batterskull, and a sword of fire and ice.
>>
>>49420700
>BBE into Thoughtseize when my opponent is hellbent
>4 mana 3/2 that ETB made me lose 2 life
Fuck man
>>
>>49421664
Where did the Jund player touch you? Poor Boggles player.
>>
RDW faggot here last time i posted this i wrote it wrong but out of the cards i already have can someone help me optimize my deck i already know naya burn is what i should be playing thats not what i'm asking
Decklist:
4 eidolon of the great revel
4 monastery swiftspear
4 lightning bolt
4 lava spike
4 shard volley
4 rift bolt
4 hellspark elemental
3 magma jet
3 skullcrack
2 grim lavamancer
3 searing blaze
4 vexing devil
20 land

Sideboard:
3 leyline of punishment
1 spark elemental
1 skullcrack
1 pillar of flame
3 searing blood
2 roast
1 searing blaze
2 smash to smithereens
1 ball lightning

Other cards i have
1 leyline of punishment
3 pillar of flame
4 crumble to dust
4 keldon marauders
3 ball lightning
1 magma jet
1 searing blood
3 spark elemental
Thanks helping i'm also willing to buy cards that are good for ghis deck
>>
>>49422697
>You may cast
>>
>>49422637
>Ban Apostle's Blessing

I don't think that'd really change much.
>>
>>49422809
Blessing is much, much better than that
>>
>>49422839
Are you retarded?
>>
>>49422852
Are you?
>>
>>49422809
I cannot get over how absolutely terrible this art is
>>
>>49422839
Yes and no. Blessing is better against on-board defenses, allowing you to push through creatures, and against Pyroclasm effects.

Blossoming Defense still keeps you from eating Bolt or Path, can even save you from some Pyroclams effects and it contributes to your gameplan even when you're not dodging removal.

Of course, Blessing is also better with Inkmoths, but there's enough you're getting with Defense that getting rid of Blessing won't hurt the deck much altogether. It's a very small reduction to the deck's potential, rather than a legitimate speedbump they need to make.
>>
>>49422159

>game designers who seem to have no clue about basic game theory.
>game theory

I know it sounds good in that sentence but you should probably search what game theory is. it doesn't have much to do with this, only a tangential relationship.
>>
>>49422927

So issues with your argument here-
1. Blessing has that phyrexian mana, you can play it in literally every deck. Keeping up 1 is a lot easier than keeping up G
2. It protects artifacts, blanking kommand and other naturalize effects.

Blessing is a better general answer to many decks, but Defence is still good.

>>49422912
I have no idea what the art is even showing. Is the shield providing hexproof? I don't see the shitskin elf channeling the power of the natural world or aether. It's just doing a generic action pose. Looks like extra theros art.
>>
Is it possible to make Golgari aristocrats competetive without CoCo?

Currently trying to brew one, despite CoCo prices plummeting I'm not sure if I even want to spend that much on those.
>>
>>49423369
>you can play it in literally every deck

We're only talking about it's application in Infect. Nobody was ever calling for banning Blessing because it's a good side deck card for Affinity sometimes.
>>
>>49420359
>What would bbe replace in jund decks?
Probably cut some removal and Kalitas.
>Do you think it would be as much a staple as it was before the ban if it was unbanned?
They would jam 4 in every list ever. Probably.
>>
>>49422781
The point is that it isn't always a 3/1. The card isn't going to hit Kommand every time you use it.
>>
>>49423394
If you're playing a green creature heavy deck filled with cheap creatures, you need to really get out of your way to not have CoCo in the deck. Sure, it's possible not to play CoCo, but why would you?
>>
>>49423394
I'll trade you some if you have any Ad Nauseam pieces
>>
>>49423519
Yeah, sometimes it's just a 2 for 1 that MIGHT be a 3 for 1 by hitting a Lilly or something.
>>
>>49421488
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/19-09-16-esper-combo/

Something like this then?
>>
>>49423571
And sometimes it's an over costed 3/2 haste with no abilities. It's fine. Hand disruption is almost always a dead cast off this thing, and removal is a dead cast unless your opponent has a creature out. And in this meta game if you're opponent has a threat on board worth terminating and you tap out for a 3/2 and don't hit a hard removal spell you're fucked.
>>
So even SCG is calling out Modern for it's bullshit. When PSully and Cedric straight up shit on your format on stream and can't even comment on games seriously, you know is currently a dumpster fire.
>>
>>49423623
You don't seem to understand. Bloodbraid Elf did not start its life on the ban list, it EARNED its spot. You can make all the Deathrite Shaman fueled arguments you like, but BBE didn't catch it for nothing.
>>
In terms of sanctioned Modern, I think I'm done. I've played a wide number of competitive decks.

The one deck I haven't been able to play is Jund. I never had Goyfs or Bobs and I was fine with that. But then I saw that I need Kalitas, and shortly after that I saw I needed Grim Flayers, all $20-$30 cards.

And I think all I ever truly wanted from Modern is not new cards but just the format to be affordable. And everything happening in Magic is just geared against that goal. The benchmark for Modern is high.
>>
Remember when Modern was only Affinity, Melira Pod, Jund, and Twin? Those were the days. Now it's Jund + 9 Flavors of Aggro.
>>
File: brass.jpg (32KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
brass.jpg
32KB, 223x310px
Still kind of new to magic and can't quite figure out the nuance of this card.
It says tap to attach target equipment you control to target creature you control. Does that mean I can move any amount of equipment or only one piece of equipment. It's confusing because equipment can be singular or plural.
>>
>>49422912
So much black ink; why do 60% of the cards look like this?
>>
>>49423774
"Target" always refers to just one card. The ability targets one piece of equipment, and targets one creature to attach it to.
>>
>>49423810
Thanks I figured that just tapping one creature to dump an unlimited amount of equipment onto another might be a bit strong.
>>
>>49422912
http://www.vandalhigh.com/blog/2015/7/3/the-problems-with-artist-pay-on-magic

tl;dr It's not the art directors, it's that nobody is willing to pay.

And why not fuck them? Artists are a dime a dozen. Every year there are a billion starving artists looking for work all jockeying for a simple paycheque. Why pay this guy with fair rates and royalties when you can fuck over some aspiring individual with less.
>>
>>49423728
Same goes for Wild Nacatyl, what's your fucking point? New cards come out, the meta game changes. It's been 2 years since BBE was legal and Modern has changed A LOT, and yes sorry buddy Deathrite Shaman made her a lot better. She is no longer too good for modern.
>>
>>49423855
>Why pay this guy with fair rates and royalties when you can fuck over some aspiring individual with less.

Because it's the moral thing to do?
>>
File: cute.png (281KB, 446x310px) Image search: [Google]
cute.png
281KB, 446x310px
>>49423855
Speaking of art.

What cards you guys like for the art only?
I can't decide which one of these I like more.
>>
>>49423912
You really should read some books on philosophy and economics before spouting shit like that.
>>
>>49423719
>So even SCG
You say this like it has any weight
>>
>>49423912
>the moral thing to do

Businesses do not care for the moral thing unless it would affect how their consumers perceive them.
>>
>>49423938
SCG content makes up the bulk of the Magic content people watch on Twitch. Not even that guy but they really do shit on the format constantly. When a game ends on turn 5 they say it was a long game.
>>
>>49423915
I can tell what's going on with Abyssal Spectre, so I like that one better.
>>
>>49423912
Haha oh child, so naive.
>>
>>49423961

After watching the coverage yesterday, a game going to turn 5 seems like a long game.
>>
File: DD20153012_icon[1].jpg (153KB, 768x432px) Image search: [Google]
DD20153012_icon[1].jpg
153KB, 768x432px
>>49423915
I love everything about this card.
>>
>>49423912
It's funny given how militant players are for praising Wizards for their progressive policies, the reality is that players are poor motherfuckers who are ignorant of what really matters.

They're too busy jacking it over trains and racial diversity in Kaladesh to care about something that matters like making sure their favorite artists can make a living.

They even fuck over local stores in their purchasing decisions. Think about all the people who buy some product while shopping at Walmart or Gamespot or order boxes online just for a $5 discount and just go to the LGS to play. Then fucking cry when the LGS closes.

The company doesn't have any incentive to change when their customers are dumb motherfuckers who don't care. They still have a fiduciary responsibility to their shareholders but they don't need to fucking mention that they're paying their artists fairly in the goddamn annual report.
>>
>>49423855
Steve Argyle hasn't made card art for Magic since Origins. And given the lead time for art, that means he was fucking fired sometime around RTR.
>>
>>49424085
Fired for opposing "diversity".
>>
>>49424037
Buying singles online supports game stores across america. My lgs sells singles online on top of being a brick and mortar retailer. Just because the owner of your flgs is a bad businessman doesn't mean every lgs owner is. Also the artists would stop working for wotc if the pay was really that bad.
>>
File: 12[1].jpg (79KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
12[1].jpg
79KB, 312x445px
>>49424085
Argyle did one card in Commander 2015 too.

Which admittedly isn't that far past Origins, but just for accuracy's sake.
>>
>>49424092
Dude made one artwork of Liliana and Chandra about to make out and the image was stolen to make tonnes of Chinese knockoff playmats.

In response to being asked how he produces such sexy art he posts a picture of his office with passed out women in underwear and underwear strewn around hanging from everything.

The fucking Magic community hasn't said a fucking word because they probably haven't a fucking clue that he's gone.

I used to make fun of the sexy art in Magic. And I feel so bad now because it's gone and replaced by this uninspired dogshit.
>>
>>49424170
Chandra isn't gay for liliana anon, shes gay for nissa. Youre being such a bigot right now its just disgusting.
>>
File: KLD_Diabolic_tutor_Gallery_0[1].jpg (174KB, 1200x675px) Image search: [Google]
KLD_Diabolic_tutor_Gallery_0[1].jpg
174KB, 1200x675px
>>49424170
But Anon don't you find this art sexy?
>>
>>49424198
>>
File: mtg laziness.png (5MB, 1407x1315px) Image search: [Google]
mtg laziness.png
5MB, 1407x1315px
>>49424223

You should post the one Chandra that's a blatant tracing of this
>>
File: 1447615881075.jpg (54KB, 625x960px) Image search: [Google]
1447615881075.jpg
54KB, 625x960px
>>49424227
What is your first and last name
>>
>>49424170
>In response to being asked how he produces such sexy art he posts a picture of his office with passed out women in underwear and underwear strewn around hanging from everything.

What image was this?
>>
>>49424103
So suddenly a brick and mortar has to maintain both a physical storefront and an online one. Needing to hire staff to deal with both sections. That is not fucking reasonable to ask of any small business especially when every asshole wants an answer in 24 hours and every person who walks through the door thinks they can get immediate service by dumping boxes of random cards on the table and asks, "how much?". Thanks to Amazon everyone expects free shipping too.

Either we sit around and agree that the age of a physical storefront is going to die due to the global online marketplace or we sit down and say, "Hey, having chairs and tables to play at seems like a nice thing to have" - maybe it's worth paying an extra $5 for a booster box at the store to ensure those chairs are around. Wizards demands that brick and mortars provide play space and public washrooms, space that could be used to hold stock. It seems brutally unfair of players to deny the store the sales they could have by filling play space with product and blaming them for being bad businesses when they're just trying to keep the doors open.
>>
>>49424259
>>
>>49424305
Anon brick and mortar stores ARE dying, hell mtgo made more money than paper magic according to the last wotc shareholder meeting. Shit fucking changes with technology.
>>
File: BrA2CljCEAEEHl7.jpg (38KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
BrA2CljCEAEEHl7.jpg
38KB, 600x400px
>>49424306
I will never not-hate this nissa.
>>
>>49424355
Fine.

All that shit about kindness and masturbating over how nice the "community" is will be gone without local communities and essentially move onto centers like Reddit and ChannelFireball and Starcity. The serious play will move to large cities and online.

Wizards can then save tonnes on logistics by not having to print as much and having to ship to bumfuck nowhere because small stores will no longer exist.

Kitchen table players and kids will pick up packs but without a physical storefront to find players the average skill competency is going to drop to Pokemon CGS. And they'll lost interest as they grow up and you'll lose people entering your online platform because nobody gives a fuck about high level play.

And the online platform is a pile of hot dogshit and people are going to say, "Why would I pay money for cards when I can play fucking Hearthstone which doesn't look like garbage".

When Magic dies I'm going to be laughing. There have been good memories from Magic, and I find it funny Wizards is sabotaging all advice to make it good, bring the pro-circuit coverage and their online client up to snuff.

Fucking Yu Gi Oh and Force of Will have more weekly players than Magic at two stores locally. Good job getting rid of your sexy art Magic you dumb motherfuckers.
>>
SJW are not going to stop until they've destroyed every bastion of male power fantasy.
>>
>>49424565
Unless we make them gay.
Give Ajani a boyfriend.
>>
>>49423961
>tfw legacy games last longer.
>>
>>49424565
They stop when people stop bending over and taking that strapon up the ass. SJWs don't even bother with shit like football, formula 1, or wrestling, because they know they'll get called fucking retards and ignored. Meanwhile all these nu-male beta cucks that play video games and traditional games are terrified of being ostracized by some screaming bitch with bright pink hair.
>>
>>49424669
Did you watch the Standard finals of Worlds? Game 3 was 67 minutes.
>>
>>49424682
That's more of an outlier than anything.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (128KB, 897x830px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
128KB, 897x830px
>"she"
>>
>>49424714
and still more attractive than emma handy's gross self
>>
>tfw own every Modern deck but still feel like the format should change

Grant more power to fair decks. Ban 8ED+9ED to completely phase out Tron and the huehue cards like Choke. Alternatively, unban Splinter Twin and see where the format goes.
>>
>>49424632
I would love to see how many more cards they would sell if they straight up had art of Garruk and Ajani near-fucking.

There was an amount honesty attached to just drawing women in bikinis. It said, "We want the male demographic". So I don't know why they haven't straight up had two dudes hugging with no shirts on to send a very clear message visually that they're fully on board the diversity train. Lion-man and white-man bro-fucking.

Instead they're cowardly just writing that these characters are genderless, autistic, trans, or whatever the fuck is in vogue now. And the sad thing is that that's all it takes to satisfy. Imagine if Liliana wears a full-body robe and they try and convince us she's a complete skank.

No, we know what Liliana is because of how she appears. And now Wizards, I want to see some art of man-lion love. Prove you're committed to satisfying this portion of your player base that wants LGBTQWhatever.
>>
>>49424739
>tfw own every Modern deck but still feel like the format should change
Why would you do this? Please tell me you at least play legacy and what deck.
>>
>>49424747
Were close fag anon, we had two statues touching tips. Now we need triumph of life with ajani raping garruk and instead of drawing a card at upkeep you create a 1/1 green/white cat token with the flavor text >somehow life finds a way
>>
What deck is the hero of Modern and why is it Affinity?
>Tier one since forever
>Powerful but never broken
>People's Champion
>Affordable
>Fun
>>
>>49424747
>Ajani and Garruk
Gross. I'd rather they give Ajani some Zenidkar goblin bf so he can literally chuck him into combat after stapling 7 auras to him.
>Why won't they make gays? THey are making other LGBT stuff.
They did that sub story in shadows about the lesbian couple on inistrad trying to survive Emmy's warping of the world, which was rather touching. Also the gay status in Theros.
I think they are doing a good job of pandering to the LGBT community. I think they need to give a little love to the straights though, as they are the larger demographic of players.
>>
>>49424836
>Doesn't want to interact
>Loses to sideboards
You're putting Dredge forwards as the hero of Legacy?
>>
>>49424851
lesbians arent gays, theyre both homosexuals but gays are homosexual men. Remember milk.
>>
>>49424865
Are you saying it's not? You wouldn't root for dredge if it reached the top 8 of a GP?
>>
>>49424885
Alright, but we still have the Akros monument. I still want that Ajani x goblin though. Or Nico Bolas x whoever.
>>
>>49424893
I'd root for Dredge because it's an underdog deck. Affinity is not an underdog.
>>
>>49424768
>Why would you do this?

Modern is fun at times, and when you got the staples, they go in multiple decks so it's easy to build new decks (Bant Eldrazi was dirt cheap).

I share my decks with my playgroup so we can attend PPTQs together and have a good time.

>Please tell me you at least play legacy

My shit taste makes me like Modern more than Legacy but I do.

>and what deck.

I own Burn, but the playgroup collectively owns Miracles, Maverick, Dredge, Storm and Lands (and Burn). I like Lands, such a comfortable playstyle.
>>
>>49424914
Ajani loves elspeth, and bolas doesnt love but hes pounded tezzerets mindless frame to assert dominance. What you really want is ral'zarek x domri rade. That experienced old man showing the young gruul leader how sensual his body can truely be? And as a bonus nissa x chandra has made gruul the go to gay colors.
>>
>>49424942
This. Same with Lantern control (if the operator is doing it quickly.)
>>
>>49424981
Ajani can be a bisexual.
You mean you don't want to see Bolas get all subby and lewd for some (extremely small in comparison) hunk?
I agree, Grull feels pretty gay but humans are boring.
>>
File: Image.jpg (36KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
36KB, 223x310px
GR shamans; spicy budgetary meme for a casual or a waste of money?
>>
>>49424851
No, there is not enough love to the LGBT community. They are just cowardly putting it in some fucking story on the Internet. There's not enough time to explain to someone how fucking DIVERSE this game is by citing an article.

As:
>>49424831
Said. We need actual card art. Something we can carry around to remind absolutely fucking everyone that the games store is a safe space for all people. Magic players are awful like that and will cite that ONE example forever. Like that one black counterspell in response to someone saying blue has all the countermagic.

We have a white dude, fucking a literal white lion-man. It's perfect. It is a bonding of two worlds, a bridge of what was before, a white guy and furry thing staring deeply in each others' eyes. I want a character to have breasts at the beginning of the block and having no breasts afterwords because they underwent a magical mastectomy because that's what this world is all about. Fucking progress. If you're going to take away my tits and ass I demand homoerotic multi-species sexually ambiguous couplings in my art.

And the thing is people are still going to complain, because there's a white guy.
>>
>>49425023
Ajani has that whole white devotion thing going on. What you should be aiming for is narset x zurgo or something a little more plausable. Shit niv'mizzet could commit some serious time crimes with his penis and a little chronomancy
>>
>>49425078
Why not just spend money on a budget version of a real deck so you can add to it over time?
>>
File: Drinkos_PeePee.jpg (25KB, 417x384px) Image search: [Google]
Drinkos_PeePee.jpg
25KB, 417x384px
Hey boys,

I want to get back into the game and cracking packs is one of my greatest joys. To this end, I've decided I'm going to buy a box! I need help deciding which one.

My needs/goals:
-Something that will be relevant for a while.
-Something with high value potential.
-Something with a great theme.

I've decided for myself to get Oath of the Gatewatchers, but does anyone have any suggestions?

ALSO! I found my OLD collection and had so many more cards than I thought. I have no idea where they came form honestly. I separated out my rares and found that I have some high dollar ones. I would be more than happy to sacrifice these cards I had no idea I had in some sort of marketplace to help fuel my future purchases. Where would I sell my cards? I've never done online trading before. How would I ship these things? Obviously sleeved and shelled, but is an envelope fine? Do I need insurance?

Thanks for any help guys.
>>
>>49424942
>Affinity is not an underdog.
You're right, it's not, but that doesn't change the fact that it's the hero of Modern.
>>
>>49425118
Spending money on a budget version of a real deck is just as much a waste of money as you'll still be losing.
>>
>>49425186
>spending money on cards in a real deck is a waste of money

Maybe you should just not play magic
>>
>>49425112
There are two black counters and one white at instant speed
>>
>>49425118
I was under the impressiom that that was a bad idea. Jund is just a stack of good carss for instance, so a budget jund deck is just a strictly worse jund deck. Gr shamans is budget but fully optimized.
>>
>>49425380
If the budget jund deck is better than the GR shamans deck, you're better off playing the budget jund deck.
>>
DesolatorMagic1 week ago (edited)
What do you actually think of my solution though? Ban all tier 1 decks and all non-interactive crap and all infinite combos. There's like 4-7 tier 1 decks and about 50 tier 2 decks. So you want less staleness? Get rid of the top power and tada.

God. fuck this guy
>>
>>49425545
L O L
>>
>>49425545
I'm more interested in the replies.
>>
>>49425186
>Implying
Starting with mono-green Stompy, and working slowly towards junk/jund is definitely better than just playing some meme deck.

And if you can't figure out the progression from stompy to Jund then I'm very sorry that you're so retarded.
>>
>>49425445
I dont think budget jund is actually better than gr shamans.
>>
>>49425657
It definitely is, I mean, I guess it's a meta call, but honestly I feel like budget jund is just better.
>>
>>49425545
Man, I didn't know that DesolatorMagic was retarded! Wow, next you'll tell me that shit stinks!
>>
>>49425631
You sure it's not you who is retarded?

The only card they share is basic forest
>>
>>49425545
Is that the anti net deck guy?
>>
>>49424836
>Affordable

There are multiple Tier 1/2 decks that are nearly half as expensive though. It was "affordable" before Modern Masters, weirdly enough.
>>
>>49425786
He's the DSP of Magic yes.
>>
>>49425732
>The only card they share is basic forest
>Build Monogreen Stompy
>Run Sylvan Advocate, Treetop Village, Verdant Catacombs and Wooded Foothills.
>Next transition to The Rock
>Abrupt Decay, Maelstrom Pulse, Liliana of the Veil, Bob, and Shocks/Filter
>Splash Red for Lightning Bolt, Terminate, maybe Abbot, maybe Huntmaster or some other Red Finisher.
>Run Raging Ravine, Bloodstained Mire, and shocks to help out with landbase
>Buy Tarmogoyf last because it's the most expensive part.

That progression looks pretty logical to me, you have a decent working deck the entire time, and as long as you aren't retarded and tool the deck to your meta it'll put out results.
>>
File: 1473041628191.png (153KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
1473041628191.png
153KB, 265x370px
>>49422151
Mirrodin was printed five years before Light Of Destruction. If anything Glorious Illusion is riffing on Serum Visions.
>>
>>49425862
I'm beginning to detest the fact that Magic is like leasing a car or house.

It's like fucking debt. You feel good that you can afford to spend an extra car payment on cardboard.
>>
>>49425921
I detest it too, but that's why I suggest paths like this, it makes it more affordable and less ridiculous.
This gives you the enjoyment of a decent deck the entire time you're working on it, and if you're good enough and regularly place the deck can help build itself.
>>
>>49425921
Play with double-sleeved Chinese Proxies then.
>>
>>49425952
Or do this, I don't frankly care, I just want to play the fucking game with people.
>>
>>49425862
>Verdant Catacombs and Wooded Foothills.
Okay you're retarded
>>
>>49425921
is it really that hard to put aside some money each month for a hobby you enjoy?
>>
>>49425979
>>Verdant Catacombs and Wooded Foothills.
>Okay you're retarded
Okay neat, you've taken the burden of proof.
Justify this statement, why does this particular part of my post make me retarded?
>>
>>49425952
Oh I do. My Goyfs are flawless.

>>49425990
I can afford to buy real cards and spend money on my hobbies because I don't spend my money on garbage. It doesn't change the fact that it's utterly retarded to pay that much money or game pieces.
>>
>>49425921
this is almost exclusively a standard problem though
>>
>>49426100
>My Goyfs are flawless
You can keep telling yourself this but anyone with goyfs will spot immediately when they look different right next to each other
>>
>people arguing how bad Bloodbraid Elf is

Jundniggers.jpg

>it sometimes isn't a complete b-blow out it's j-just s-sometimes....
>even though it's the best deck in the format overall i-it needs a-another huge h-haymaker b-because u-uh....
>>
File: 1412118973742.gif (1019KB, 320x200px) Image search: [Google]
1412118973742.gif
1019KB, 320x200px
What's the Mardu color combination missing? You get the best removal in all flavors the format has and the best sideboard cards, yet no one can put a combination together that hits even Tier 2?
>>
>>49426184
The threats are all garbage
>>
>>49426206
This

Mardu needs it's own Goyf/Scooze beat stick. Mardu colors just don't have that
>>
>>49426184
Efficient midrange beaters. That's really it. You lose out on Goyf, Scooze, and tons of other good shit.

What you're left with is really great aggro creatures, but you normally play the control route without counterspells. Without a decent creature base you're pretty screwed.
>>
>>49426140
It doesn't matter to what degree the problem is. Decks can cost hundreds of dollars in every single format, INCLUDING Pauper. Prices are ridiculous everywhere.

>>49426155
We've crossed a line into ridiculous douchebaggery the moment people start taking cards out of sleeves to compare them to the real thing. I've held the card up to the real thing, there is no fucking way you can tell at a casual glance if the card is in your hand. If someone is taking a serious look at your cards, the fucking community has truly become one of witch hunting faggots with an irredeemable sense of self-righteousness.

You don't tell people in real life you have fakes. And so long as you don't trade away fakes you're fine from ruining it.
>>
What the fuck is modern right now? I've taken a brake since the ancestral visions unban, and I come back to see storm is back, Valakut is the best control deck, followed by Tron and dredge and storm are back.
>>
>>49426157
this

You're already the top deck of the format jundfags!
>>
>>49419274
weird RUG midrange with goyfs and vedalken shackles

>>49426184
no burn-proof clock that comes down turn 2
angler could be good but it requires some compromises
>>
>>49426268
Were you playing against Reid Duke?
>>
>>49426245
>I should be able to play with fakes and it's fucking ludicrous if anyone calls me out
Kys my man
>>
>>49426365

You know, anti-proxy fag, if you're gonna shitpost, at least change up the way you type.
>>
>>49426184

I wonder more what it would take to make Sultai actually viable.
>>
>>49426245
>go to store
>buy food
>hand cashier money
>she looks at the money and can tell its fake
>get arrested

FUCKING CASHIERS FUCKING LOOKING AT MONEY THIS IS BULLSHIT CASHIER COMMUNITY IS JUST SOME WITCHHUNT UNFUN CANCER TOXIC SELF-RIGHTOUS IRREDEEMABLE BUZZWORD BUZZWORD MEME REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>49426387
A bolt card in Sultai colors :^)
>>
>>49426365
>it's reasonable for the best deck to be over 2000$
yeah i want my card game to cost more than my car.
>>
>>49426419

>cashier being able to tell money is fake

where is this fantasy land? Most are so dead inside they can barely register whether you handed them a ten or a twenty.
>>
>>49426419

>IRREDEEMABLE BUZZWORD BUZZWORD MEME

Take a break
Get off the computer
Lift some weights
Get a clue
>>
>>49426419
>>49426470
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Deg7VrpHbM
>>
>>49426444
I don't like the growing prices of magic formats either but your argument is fucking autistic

Magic the Gathering is not a charity. It's a hobby.

AKA you wouldn't go to a fucking Yacht party if you are poor and when you get kicked out bitch about fucking Yacht prices

Shut up faggot
>>
>>49422762
Seeing that you rely more on reapeatable damage from your creatures i wpuld put that searing blood in to give you 4 searing effects mainboard to help clear the way for your creatures
>>
File: 1396773899354.jpg (479KB, 5000x5000px) Image search: [Google]
1396773899354.jpg
479KB, 5000x5000px
>>49426245
>I should be able to cheat and if anyone calls me out on it I'm gonna stomp my feet and yell
>>
>>49426488

Every single time someone mentions proxies, you show up and go on an autistic tantrum. MTGLion pls go
>>
>>49426245
>INCLUDING Pauper.

Maybe if you foil it out or are playing a janky deck with the most expensive commons you can find. The best decks that dominate the meta are 50-60 bucks.

When a game is popular and explodes the cards from past (less printed) are going to become more expensive. It's called supply and demand. You fucking poor people always crying about card prices need to learn how that works or find a new game.
>>
>>49426157
tfw I wanna see BBE enable a good RUG deck and get a massive value boner to the thought of cascading into Ancestral Visions, but all it does is power Jund up even more.
>>
File: snake sombrero.jpg (79KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
snake sombrero.jpg
79KB, 600x800px
>>49426206
>>49426231
>>49426242
I guess Lingering Souls + Planeswalkers just doesn't cut it
>>
>>49426490
looking at it from the perspective of wizards, having price being a barrier to entry is terrible for them. i don't know how it is everywhere but very few people i tell about magic or recommend modern to continue to be interested in magic after hearing there's an price to compete in modern between 1000 and 2000 dollars.
>>
>>49426444
>supply and demand isn't fair! wahhhhhhh!!!!
>>
>>49426560

I was thinking about it too.
Deck needs a way to dump instants into the gy
4 Delver
4 BBE
4 Goblin Dank Dwellers
x Bedlam Reveller
x Snappy

4 Ancestral Visions
4 Boom/Bust
4 Bolt
x Serum Visions
x Remand
x Violent Outburst
x Restore Balance
Goodstuff Instants and Sorcs

4 Wooded Foothills
4 Scalding Tarn
4 Misty Rainforest
2 Stomping Ground
1 Steam Vents
1 Breeding Ground
x Basics
>>
>>49426444
Your car costs $2000?
Fucking lol
>>
>>49426606
Wizards knows that their product is not being driven by rational thought. The people who are buying boxes and just opening them are not behaving like your average person.

We all have not hesitated to think about the price of decks because we bought them a piece at a time. Like a drug habit. And like people with a drug habit/addiction, we never look at the bigger picture. And even if we did, we get over it.
>>
>>49426606
>looking at it from the perspective of wizards, having price being a barrier to entry is terrible for them.

Actually it isn't or they wouldn't be able to sell things like EMA and MM as 'premium' product.

>very few people i tell about magic or recommend modern to continue to be interested in magic after hearing there's an price to compete in modern between 1000 and 2000 dollars.

Think of it like this. If you want to race cars the best card mods costs money. If you want to be a pro golfer the best gear costs money. If you like grilling as a hobby, the best equipment costs money. See where I'm going with this?
>>
>>49426847
Its because you NEED that shit to play. Cardboard is cardboard, there's no need to spend 150+ on a single piece of cardboard,
>>
>>49426923
You don't need it, you just want it. You act like there aren't viable budget decks.

If you can't afford it that's too bad, but when you can the best part about modern and legacy is that your cards will only increase in value as the player base increases, demand increases, and card availability decreases.
>>
>>49426653
Why restore balance? The deck isn't really built to be able to take advantage of that, and it's so bad if you are ahead. Also counterspells are worthless for cascade.
>>
>>49426155
>anyone with goyfs will spot immediately when they look different right next to each other
I have fought my chinamen goyfs against other people goyfs
Nobody has noticed ever
>>49426530
>Proxies
>Cheating
>Waaaah if you are not paying to win you are cheating!!! waaah i need to buy my skill with my money, i can't face anyone with more skill!!!
Autism at his finest
>>49426847
>Justifiying cardboard can cost more than 1000$ when it's made by 0,3 cents cuz capitalism an sheit
>But chinamen proxies are bad, cuz free market id bad omg criminals
MTG players are more autist every day
>>
>>49426444
>>49426606
>>49426923
The amount of entitlement and want for instant gratification I'm seeing makes me wonder if I'm actually browsing the Hearthstone subreddit.
>>
>>49427128
This is something I'm honestly fascinated by with counterfeitfags. That they have the need to brag about how they committed the perfect crime/no one notices, or how they are somehow "sending a message" to wizards, and think they're better then others somehow.
>>
>>49427223
At least they took better finance decitions
>>
Ok /tg/ I've never played modern before, only standard and draft, but kaladesh has me interested in madcap, so I started brewing. Tell me if it's any good.

4 madcap experiment
4 intervention pact
1 hallow
2 blightsteel colossus
4 saheeli rai
3 dovin baan
3 mana leak
3 remand
4 path to exile
4 simian spirit guide
4 Serra ascendant
4 serum visions

I haven't figured out exactly the land breakdown yet.

basic idea is to use intervention pact with madcap to slam down blightsteel early while gaining a bunch of life and activating Serra ascendant. If saheeli is on the board you can give it haste. I figure you throw this into a basic control shell to try and find the combo while keeping the board from getting out of control.

Any suggestions?
>>
>>49427256
Yeah
Post in the casual thread
>>
>>49427152
>subreddit
>actually admitting to going on reddit
>actually plays hearthstone

Here's a board for you,
>>>/oven/

>>49426606
The price barrier isn't terrible for them. It's working as intended. Legacy is $2k to work with. You're not going to walk around in the bad parts of town with a pocket full of $2k in addition to your normal shit, money, and other cards. Vintage is 15-75 card proxy, and isn't officially supported. Wizards wants them to be MTGO exclusive.

Modern in terms of actual tourney attendance is huge, and is only growing as more players filter in from casual, standard or EDH. It will keep on going until Wizards pulls the plug and forces Post-Modern on us. Wizards doesn't care about the high prices because they know the consumer base is fucking addicted.

>muh dead LGS
Your LGS died because the owner is a fucktard that shouldn't have started the business in the first place. The high cost of fetches and duals doesn't mean shit because of AIDA and people will always pay up the ass for them. It's a smarter financial decision to buy proxies, this cannot be denied. It also cannot died that magic players are fucking junkies.
>>
>>49427256
I'd immediately get rid of the planeswalkers, they do nothing for your gameplan. Same for the Serra Ascendant, they suck ass when your Madcap combo isn't pulled off. Not sure what to replace it with but those cards need to go.
>>
>>49427363

>cannot died
cannot be denied

fuck me
>>
>>49426651
Except they have total control over the supply so they're just artificially limiting it. If you're gonna throw around economics at least get it right you mongoloid.
>>
>>49427363
>lol whatever you say is immediately irrelevant when you hover your mouse over anything related to reddit xD

Something tells me you get irrationally angry when you see tumblr in a filename.
>>
>>49427395
Saheeli scrying to find the combo and Hasting the blightsteel isn't enough? I could just replace the serras with snapcasters. Maybe replace the dovin baans with lightning bolts or something?
>>
>>49427274
wow sick burn
>>
>>49427256
The only practical use for Madcap is treating it as a 3R Platinum Emperion.
>>
>>49427455

Bruh you visit the
>hearthstone
>subreddit

As if we needed any proof that blizzard fans are literal cancer incarnate. Get some standards in your life, for God's sake.
>>
>>49427532
That's not nearly as spicy though
>>
>>49427489
The Snaps and Bolts are a great start, as for the UR walker, curving out turn 3 Saheeli, into turn 4 Madcap seems neat, but your manabase has to be pretty damn perfect to consistently have 2 white, blue and a red mana. I have a bit of a bias against her, but feel free to try her out.
>>
>>49427538
/hsg/ exists ya know, it's pretty easy to shittalk about that cesspool on there.
>>
File: this triggers any reddit poster.jpg (39KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
this triggers any reddit poster.jpg
39KB, 320x320px
>>49427628

I'd rather not be reminded that reddit, hearthstone and /hsg/ exist.
>>
>>49427659

Leddit is the Magic official forums now, though.

Magic: The Gathering is basically Leddit: The Game.
>>
>>49427699
Not so long as Invoke Prejudice exists
>>
>>49427659
>heh, look at these plebeians and their inferior choice of internet browsing *tips fedora*

You're in the modern general btw, it's like you're laughing at people waddling in shit when you are waddling in shit yourself.
>>
>>49427128

Cardboard that you want so bad you'll buy fakes you cheap fuck.

The secondary market is run by supply and demand, not wizards.
>>
>>49427128
Wow. You pulled half this out your ass.

I don't really care because I know you're delusional. The fakes are not good enough to pass any half decent player or judge. I would know. I had them before I committed to my deck
>>
>>49427587
It's pretty good against a number of decks.
Ad Nauseam, Dredge, Affinity, Burn, Zooicide, etc. either can't beat it or have to draw usually one or two-of Pacts, and if you're using it as part of a control deck, you can sit around and protect it. I'd maybe even consider playing it with Apostle's Blessing, at least in the board.
>>
>>49427889

>committed to my deck

Nigga this ain't legacy
>>
>>49427699
Wizards is actively shifting Magic in a misogyinistic direction by promoting "women" players that are actually just men wearing dresses, and eclipsing actual females.

There are multiple cards in a variety of sets that refer to "colored." Multiple cards that have art evoking white supremacy are immune to "coloreds."

A white supremacist is the artist of some of Magic's most iconic cards, cards that have not been banned for Nazism in any format yet.

Wizards is truly a /pol/ tier company.
>>
>>49427426
It's a fucking TCG, so of course there's going to be varying rarities, with most of the good cards being higher in rarity. I don't know what you spergs don't get about supply and demand. It's a very simple concept.
>>
>>49427915
That means nothing. I don't really enjoy legacy
>>
>>49427944
hola reddit
>>
>>49427944
Spotted the Infaggot
>>
>>49427968
>>49427974
This place just gets worse everyday.

I bet you're just retards who can't afford legacy so you actually believe it's the perfect format
>>
>>49427938
It's the fact that the supply is being artificially limited to help inflate demand. That runs counter to supply and demand. In any other industry you'd match supply to demand in order to maximize profit by spreading your market base out. Instead wotc is just propping up speculators and narrowing their profits by neglecting to address demand in a meaningful way. I don't understand how you don't understand that. Are you baiting? Dumb? Both?
>>
>>49427993

>so you actually believe it's the perfect format

The only time Legacy doesn't have almost a perfect 33/33/33 split is when Wizards deliberately prints something to fuck it up.
>>
>>49427993
It's not perfect, but it's better than memedern
>>
>>49428038
>archetypes being balanced is the main factor of a perfect format
Nice try
>>
>>49428066
I would love to hear your metric
>>
>>49428019
They only have to match the demand for packs.
Which is easy as shit.
>>
>>49428106
When was the last time you pulled Rishaden Port from a pack?
>>
>>49427223
I own fakes. Got a story.

I bought fake cards because I wanted to play Eternal formats at my store. I asked the store owner, he doesn't care because it's not like anybody is actually buying or selling those things. And he'd be happy if anybody played more.

So I was the only one. I got a Vintage pack for $50 and that essentially gave me a top tier Vintage deck because outside of shops everything is more or less a 1-of. And I just left it on the table Black Lotus face up and anytime someone asked, I said, I can play Vintage with whatever copies or proxies you want to use. Didn't say whether the cards were real or not, I just showed that "We can play Vintage, I've taking the first step."

I wasn't sending a message to Wizards. They couldn't give a shit whether or not we played Vintage or Legacy as at the time none of those formats were sanctionable for FNM. I just wanted to play Magic, a format I've never heard of before.

And the thing is, nobody bit for the months I left it sitting out. I have my $50 brick that everyone knows I own but nobody is interested in playing.

And then I learned something about Magic players; something I took for granted and here's where the "holier than thou" attitude comes from. I learned that people could not fucking google or Reddit or 4chan how to get these cards. It's literally the easiest shit to find and some people couldn't find it. Then there was the people who didn't have a credit card or were too stupid to get one of those temporary cards to pay for those cards. And ignoring those two things these people could not be bothered to print out some goddamn color copies for $0.10 a page and cut them out. And instead they opt to bitch and moan about prices, stale formats, and cheer for Eternal Masters for cards THEY NEVER USE. And here is the solution and a guaranteed opponent and they don't want to lift a fucking finger. They'll open their $100-$150 box every 3 months but won't pay $10 for some photocopies.
>>
>>49428019

Most mtg "investors" get mad when you pull the rug out from beneath their scam
>>
>>49428127
Like I said, they only need to meet the demand for packs. They don't need to meet the demand for Rishadan Ports. They exploit the demand for cards like that sometimes to make the Masters packs but again, that's just meeting demand for packs.
>>
>>49428127
Fuck man, don't bother cherry picking a card they haven't reprinted.

Straight up, when was the last time anybody pulled a fucking Tarmogoyf from a pack. How many people here have SEEN someone open a Tarmogoyf; and how many times was that?

In fact, off the top of my head, I don't think I've ever seen anybody open a Liliana of the Veil or Snapcaster.
>>
>>49428235
>Straight up, when was the last time anybody pulled a fucking Tarmogoyf from a pack. How many people here have SEEN someone open a Tarmogoyf; and how many times was that?

MM2? I actually opened a Goyf at the very first MM1 draft I attended, and a friend of mine opened one at the second.

>In fact, off the top of my head, I don't think I've ever seen anybody open a Liliana of the Veil or Snapcaster.

I have 5 Snapcasters and I pulled all of them.
>>
>>49428235

I saw that one dude open a foil goyf last year on stream when Wizards was showcasing MM2015. And the controversy that followed because mtg players are so bored in life that they whine about a guy picking the foil goyf, that he sold and donated the proceeds to charity

>>49428283
My dad works at nintendo bro
>>
>>49428235
>I just started playing! Why haven't I opened goyfs and snaps
This is how retarded you sound.
Maybe you haven't seen it because they aren't in SoI or BfZ
>>
>>49428315
>My dad works at nintendo bro

Everything I said was true.
>>
>>49428336

You do realize how retarded YOUR post is, right?
>>
>>49428452
You're a broke bitch and you're crying about the prices of the most popular card game in the world. If you're on a budget play budget decks, work to save for what you want, and educated yourself to get a good job so you can pay for things you want. Fucking edgy liberal pussy.
>>
>>49428235
>tfw my friend and I split a box of mm2.
>we opened a Goyf.
>planned to sell it, get out money box, and keep the rest of the handful of money cards we got.
>he turned that Goyf around and bought a standard deck
>that deck was terrible
>just God awful.
>>
File: 1469069055188.jpg (63KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
1469069055188.jpg
63KB, 480x480px
>>49427889
>It's one of those sherlocks who can smell fakes
Tell that to yourself it that helps you justify your "investments". the truth is that people is playing them in big events (I played on SCG opens) and you are still getting buttfucked for people with more common sense than you
>>
The link for all of those who want it
And to piss those who hate them
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=villa+zheng
>>
>>49428498
I'm not getting fucked by anyone.
I purchase my cards because I make good money. It literally doesn't matter to me. You just can't imagine someone spending a grand and not being crippled by debt
>>
>>49428479

>edgy liberal pussy

Try again, kike. The dotr approaches soon.
>>
File: 1469434277091.jpg (44KB, 550x404px) Image search: [Google]
1469434277091.jpg
44KB, 550x404px
>>49428523

Seems sketch as fuck.

"How do I order?"

"Just email me"
>>
>>49428169
Lots of people don't like proxies you know.
>>
>>49428629

Argument ad populum

Try again, jew
>>
>>49428593
Yeah, theres anecdotal evidence of people sending money for orders and not getting confirmation or their actual order. Or of people not getting what they wanted. And the quality seems to be all over the place.

It's something that's definitely high risk/ high reward.
>>
>>49428534
poor people, man

they're everywhere
>>
>>49428659
Fine. "some" people don't like proxies, not fucking ad populum now.
>>
Proxyfag arguments should just have a containment thread
>>
>>49428663
>high reward

I guess it depends on their cost. If these proxies are expensive then it's low reward. Very low.
>>
>>49428679
>They invested in something way better than i did
>they must be poor
>>
>>49428593
There is an entire leddit about proxy cards
they even rate them and exchange them
>>
>>49428743
>cries about card prices in valuable TCG game
>not poor

pick one
>>
>>49428769
>Hey i can buy this card for 50 usd
>Or buy 4 of the same card and pay a hooker for the same money
not being an autist does not mean being poor
>>
File: 1468028036072.jpg (29KB, 412x430px) Image search: [Google]
1468028036072.jpg
29KB, 412x430px
>save up money for a year
>twin looks fun
>use a budget delver deck in the meantime, it was like $60
>use it and transition to splinter twin when I get the money (twins and exarchs fit well even if you aint got no fetches)
>mfw it gets banned as soon right as I'm about to get tarns and snappys
>mfw some fucking sperg tells me that I should spend that much money on another deck and to not be such a poor fag

Yeah nah fuck you man

That shit still stings.
>>
>>49428794
>investing in the top deck in a format
yikes
>>
>>49428794
Twin was hardly expensive aside from Scalding Tarn and Snaps. Just Cryptic Command?
>>
>>49428534
>I purchase my cards because I am a fool.

fixed it for you
>>
>>49428924
You're hilarious
>>
So a couple threads ago I asked for help with my Mono-red skred deck. And I'm back again with some more questions this time and for more input on my final deck list

CREATURES
4x Boros reckoner
1x Thundermaw hellkite
3x storm breath dragon

INSTANTS+SORCERIES
3x volcanic fallout
1x anger of the gods
2x pyroclasm
4x skred
4x lightning bolt
3x magma jet

PLANESWALKERS
2x Chandra, torch of defiance
4x koth of the hammer

ENCHANTMENTS+ARTIFACTS
2x relic of progenitus
3x blood moon

LANDS
21x snow covered mountain
2x scrying sheets
1x mouth of ronom

SIDEBOARD
2x relic of progenitus
1x shatter storm
2x Grafdiggers cage
2x smash to smithereens
1x nahiri's wrath
2x anger of the gods
1x blood moon
1x Sarkhan, dragon speaker
3x exquisite firecraft

I specifically need more help with the sideboard and if there is any way to generate more card advantage at 1, 2, or 3 mana that'd be swell. Thanks for the help in advance
>>
>>49428794
twin has cards that go in a ton of UR decks, you didnt really lose value except in the twins themselves

>>49428825
taking the time machine back, jund and affinity were both higher percentages weeks before the ban
>>
>>49429002
hey i gave you advice last time.
Why do you have firecraft and nahiri's wrath?
>>
>>49429874
I don't know, I honestly couldn't tell you. I just opened up my deck box and they were there.
>>
>>49429002
you need at least a 1x pyrohemia
>>
File: 1446794958718.jpg (165KB, 439x550px) Image search: [Google]
1446794958718.jpg
165KB, 439x550px
>>49428794
>playing Grixis Control a ton in modern
>lots of fun super good match up against Twin
>thought Twin looks pretty fun
>about to invest in Twins and a few more cards just to try it out
>gets hit by a ban hammer out of nowhere because "plz buy more oath packs please please please"
>don't play modern for several months because Eldrazi cancer rapes the entire format
>they ban eldrazi
>their original promise was that Twin was "holding back" other decks
>format doesn't change at all besides Twin is now gone

I'd be scared as fuck to start investing in any top tier deck because WotC are mad incompetent
>>
Literally all they need to do to stop infect is unban Twin
>>
>>49419606
Was he playing pyrohemia?
>>
>>49429942
i would do -wrath -firecraft
+dismember/roast
+sudden shock/pyrite spellbomb/kozilek's return

maybe swap sarkhan for a goblin rabblemaster for the combo matchups
>>
>>49430101

To make it worse?

I had a BW Eldrazi side deck back when Eldrazi was a meme and /tg/ shat on it. I sniped Eye of Ugins along with temples and TKS and Smasher. I converted the land base to fit UR Eldrazi instead, whatever no big deal. Then my local area fucking dropped Modern in lieu of limited and fucking standard. Or the stores closed. By the time they started carrying modern again, eldrazi had been nerfed and I moved away.

Luckily I moved and this area has modern all over the place. I'm running Eldrazi and Taxes

>wizards bans out twin because MUH FORMAT DIVERSITY
>pushes out eldrazi winter

Diversity, not even fucking once. That's the real lesson here.
>>
>>49430178
Okay cool, I'll try to out but an still open to more suggestions
>>
>>49430147
This must have been what the doctor that proposed using HIV to fight cancer sounded like.
>>
>>49430266
They got rid off it because it was policing the format, except when it left the format went all mike brown on everyone
It'd probably be fine to bring back, I can't imagine it's gotten any stronger
>>
>>49423915
The spectre man, that palette *mwah*
>>
Any secret tech to watch out for when kaladesh hits?
>>
>>49430278
Twin was the good guy modern deck that forced everyone to interact with each other

Once it was gone everyone basically raced to make the most degenerate aggro list possible
>>
>>49430278
They cannot bring it back now though it's way too soon for that. They would have to admit the ban was either A. admit it was not about twin causing a diversity problem, or B. admit they fucked up and don't really know what they're doing. Honestly they would have to do both, but that will NEVER HAPPEN.
>>
>>49430360
This

If they unban it they'll have to wait at least a year or something to save face
>>
>>49430359
>>49430360
It's not a fucking pro tour format anymore, they don't need to give a shit about diversity
If the argument is that it's unfun to play against or some stupid shit like that, go yell at legacy where the best deck is a UW control deck that makes twice of the meta that twin did
It's fucking horseshit and it's the only thing that would save the format. Banning Infect pieces doesn't solve the problem, some other stupid aggro deck will takes it's place.
Twin is the hero we need, but maybe not the one we deserve.
>>
>>49428593
that's how you trade pepes though
why should magic cards be any different?
>>
>>49430359
Because it was a combo deck, that played mostly fair. It beat decks that were more aggro then it, and lost to decks more controlish than it.

This is literally how the game has always played; aggro > control > combo > aggro. When you remove the only combo deck that wasn't utter trash you end up with just aggro > control, so combo and control are pushed out of the format and the fastest hardest hitting aggro decks become the only things worth playing, burn, infect, affinity, zoo, eldrazi.
>>
>>49427223
Ikr? Like why should I think you're a genius if you ripped a movie off of mega either? They're the same thing, we know you did it because you couldn't afford it otherwise. It doesn't make you a hero.
>>
>>49425921
idk brah, I built my Pauper Goblins deck for less than $10, and that even included the cost of the sleeves......and that deck is pretty damn effective, even against competitive Modern decks.
>>
>>49426444
Yeah 'cause it's not like other hobbies like PC gaming or playing Warhammer can cost upwards of $2000....
>>
>>49426923
How much does a Honas Wagner or Mickey Mantle Rookie card go for? I mean, it's just cardboard....
>>
File: 1425370073546.jpg (82KB, 555x526px) Image search: [Google]
1425370073546.jpg
82KB, 555x526px
What are the odds on them banning emrakul? Feels like they wouldn't want their biggest, baddest creature not being legal.
>>
>>49430468

>Warhammer

So your argument is that you're not a sucker because there exist even bigger suckers?
>>
>>49430490
literally 0, why would they ban emrakul?
>>
>>49430264
np.
One tip i wanna give is don't forget that you can use koth to animate opponent's lands to kill with skred. for instance against decks where skred is weak, you can use it to keep them off Breach mana, O stone mana, etc. i mean you'll probably play a hundred games before coming to a scenario where that's a good play but still keep it in mind
>>
>>49430490
If they banned her people would just run the next most cancerous card.

>>49430501
If she hits the field or is cast it is basically a GG. Too devastating to your opponents board state, too hard to remove or interact with, anti-fun.
>>
>>49430514
And how often is that actually happening? Nobody's fucking casting the thing, they just use it to attack and wreak havoc and it's not even a popular strat
>>
>>49427426
How are they "artificially limiting it"? You expect them to keep cranking out booster cases of every set ever made, from now until forever? There aren't enough trees on the planet for that much cardboard...
>>
>>49430514
>If she hits the field or is cast it is basically a GG. Too devastating to your opponents board state, too hard to remove or interact with, anti-fun.
If you let them cast FSM, you deserve everything that happens to you.
>>
>>49430449

Is it 'ram 1 and 2 cost hastes into 4 lightning bolts in the face?' I kid but there is a guy from my buddy's playgroup that plays nothing but this. Its such a low power playgroup too so im just wondering how much fun he's having by rushing down his friends by turn 3 before any card is played on their end. Then my buddy got a playset of ghostly prisons.
>>
>>49430533
Have you ever seen how Wizards decides the size of the print runs? It's literally a dart board. They'll pretend it's more than that, but look at how things went with the commander sets, or BFZ/OGW fat packs, or countless other examples.
>>
>>49430503
Holy mother of balls, I wish I read him a bit better that's Frick in great
>>
>>49430529
Tron disagrees.

>>49430538
Not all decks have counter spells.
>>
>>49430641
>Not all decks have counter spells

Read the goddamn card
>>
>>49430163
Yeah that kinda looks like his deck. Except with kor firewalkers and blood moons
>>
>>49430178
Why the kozilek's return? Wouldn't another volcanic fallout or pyroclasm be better? Or is the devoid on it actually relevant
>>
File: 14.jpg (54KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
14.jpg
54KB, 312x445px
What's the most powerful Monk card in all of Magic The Gathering?
>>
>>49430883
Monastery mentor? Is there really much competition?
>>
>>49429002
Hey dude take a look at this
www.Reddeckwinning.com/2015/06/17/devotion-to-skred/
>>
>>49424865
>Loses to sideboards
This argument can be put against any deck, really. Affinity has more anti-hate measures available to it than Dredge ever.
>oh stony silence
>well I'll just bash in with mini-progenitus and ping you to death with grid
>>
>>49426530
>cheat
>Act dishonestly or unfairly in order to gain an advantage.
>the guy whose cards were manufactured in y instead of x is at an advantage
How?
>>
>>49431138
usually cheating is defined as(taken straight from Meriam-Webster):
>to break a rule or law usually to gain an advantage at something

It's not required that it gains an advantage.

Proxies are defiantly breaking of a rule in sanctioned events
>>
>>49430956
Hey thanks, not really my style of skred but the information and help is still appreciated
>>
>>49430764
spellbomb and return hit pro-red guys, same with dismember i guess. spellbomb doesn't trigger wild defiance
etched champion and burrenton forge-tender can be problematic
kor firewalker and auriok champion you can usually race
master of waves is no biggie as the tokens die to any sweeper

yeah forge-tender is the biggest threat i think. i had a game against kiki-chord where opponent got forge-tender, selfless spirit, and kiki-jiki in play... not a good time. sudden shock is also really good in that matchup although i had no cages whereas you have two so maybe you don't have to worry

so yeah devoid is sometimes relevant.
>>
>>49431278
Alright, I'll think about the kozilek's return, I'll see if I have any room after I test for a bit
>>
File: 20.jpg (63KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
20.jpg
63KB, 312x445px
>>49430917
He doesn't look so tough, he doesn't even give you life when he enters the Battlefield.
>>
Hey teegee, I'm trying to build a monored burn list and was wondering how many copies of Thunderous Wrath I should run? THanks.
>>
>>49431345
I don't know why but I'm laughing quite hard
>>
>>49431201
As a proxy owner, I understand the need to use real cards in events.

To me, it's not about respecting the store's sales or intellectual property (although it is important to protect that); it's just that if you let players proxy, they'll make shit proxies and it will just piss off everyone who can't tell what the battlefield state is, just like people who play slow with Sensei's Divining Top.

That is the only reason why I disprove of widespread use of proxies, because Magic players are useless people and will just make them five minutes before the event with whatever supplies are available.
>>
>>49431395
As legacy guy, I agree. I do however think that players should be allowed to bring in 5 or so proxies into a sanctioned tournament, but if you do you have to present them to a judge and have them verify it's okay (I . e not a fucking sticky notes on a Plains). I also think that you'd have to tell your opponent to when you play the card of course so they don't go calling a judge on your proxy
>>
>>49431424
No, absolutely zero proxies. No wasting judges or tournament organizers to approve dozens to hundreds of players five pieces of paper. No telling your opponent anything. No wasting time arguing over what is okay or what isn't.

This ensures one thing, that all proxies produced and used, if used in a sanctioned setting against the rules, are indistinguishable from the real thing.

I'd rather we all live with this unspoken agreement that we tollerate proxies than waste tonnes upon tonnes of time at tournaments inspecting everyone's shit.

Magic players will do any and everything to fuck with the structure of an event. They will send everything to a screaming halt to from creating drama to showing up at the last fucking minute to register to asking judges to fetch basic lands for them. I don't want to give them any permission to fuck with the system any more than they already have the opportunity to do.

Making proxies illegal forever means there is incentive to produce perfect proxies.
>>
File: monks.jpg (1MB, 936x892px) Image search: [Google]
monks.jpg
1MB, 936x892px
>>49430917
Time for some real competition, these are the only Monks who are seriously strong enough to compete with Monastery Mentor.

I happen to be an expert on Monk cards as they are my favorite kind of creature.

These all have unique and powerful effects and/or casting cost and P/T combination that make them competitive with monastery mentor. But to be honest, monastery mentor is pretty hard to beat and most of these monks are weaker than him in a poor board state. But some of them are stronger than him in other situations thus their placement here.

Most of them should be self-explanatory, but
Soulfire Grand Master: very strong effect for america-colors decks, basically a boros reckoner
Dorsan: shuts down all counter-magic 100%
Rhox War Monk: find me a lifelink 3 cost 3/4 i dare you
Abbot of Keral Keep: insane tempo card, low cost and really digs through your deck
Oreskos Sun Guide: involved in a combo for infinite life
>>
>>49431488
Monastery mentor is still probably the best of all of them. He kills people really fast and he often leaves a monk or 2 behind to finish the job
>>
>>49431474
I should've clarified, I meant for legacy (maybe) and vintage because they are the most cost prohibitive formats and knocking off 5 of the most expensive cards would let more people play the format. As for actually wanting perfect proxies like you seem to, that's fucking stupid and I shouldn't even need to fucking explain why.
>>
>>49431488
Seeker of the way is way better than sun guide.

Also monastery swiftspear is a monk and it sees far more play in modern than the mentor.
>>
>>49431532
Swiftspear is really good, forgot about it. I'd still give it to mentor though because he's straight up bonkers in formats with cheap counters and lots of good can trips , like legacy and vintage. Swiftspear is still good in those formats but certainly not a game stabilizer and finisher like mentor
>>
>>49431474
>I'd rather we all live with this unspoken agreement that we tollerate proxies than waste tonnes upon tonnes of time at tournaments inspecting everyone's shit.

Proxy-brah here, I'm down with that. It's tiresome to keep debating over proxies, especially when it's one guy going BUZZWORD BUZZWORD MEME as a response or calling people poorfag endlessly.

I agree with what you said about a lot of players like to fuck around too much, this deck check shit is obnoxious too. I think that's why wizards did the hologram shit, to make it easier for judges to see if something is legit or not. Every smart player is going to double sleeve their shit, so unless a judge is super anal, judges won't notice the back's texture is off. Searching for divot in the capital D is a pain in the ass, even if you know about it. Most judges won't give a shit if you proxy, they're trying to keep the tourney moving. DQing you is another tedious step they have to go through, which is more work for guys literally doing it for free. Unless the proxy is obviously off (chinaman's abrupt decay is too dark, Tarn's text is off), judges won't dq you.

And if it's not the deck checks, it's That Guy demanding the judge shuffle his opponent's deck to ensure maximum randomization.
>>
File: open fist.jpg (32KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
open fist.jpg
32KB, 223x310px
>>49430883

FF6's Sabin
>>
>>49428663
more like extremely high risk low reward. Eventually the goyfs and lilis will plummet when too many fakes are introduced
>>
>>49431526
I believe in perfect proxies because it demands players respect (consciously or not) for your opponent that they don't have to look at every single half-assed card to see what it is.

If cost prohibition is the problem, allowing (bad) proxies is only going to create more problems than they're going to solve, thus making it a garbage solution because then someone is going to say, "why not six cards"... "seven please?" then finally why not just let them proxy the whole fucking thing if you're going to let some arbitrary number like five slide. If the format is cost prohibitive, then Wizards needs to step up or players can proxy the entire thing albeit without talking about it.

I hate altered cards too. I sat across from and Iron Man, Captain America, Hulk, etc. alters and I all I had to tell what the card was was the name at the top. FUCK THAT. That was the day I quit EDH and until players collectively realize that it's hard enough looking across a large table to see cards, seeing fucking Spiderman on them isn't making it any easier.

We need to set some goddamn standards. That's what hard rules do, and ironically, banning proxies from any and everything ensures that people maintain good fucking proxy standards.
>>
>>49431532
>>49431543
I like swiftspear as well but it saddens me that the +1/+1 she gets falls off at the end of the turn. What makes monastery mentor so powerful to me is the 1/1 monk he pops out, stays alive ostensibly forever, until you expend it. Its like super-prowess, a bonus for casting a spell that lasts indefinitely.
>>
>>49430410
Working as intended. Combo and control arent magic and must be punished
>>
>>49431594
I'm pretty against proxies in high profile tournaments and I'd probably talk to a judge after I signed the match slip (proxies don't make you good or bad so I'll take my win/loss. Mostly because I'm too much of a pussy to call a judge mid game for a reason like that.)

Other than that I mostly see where you're coming from. If someone does do a proxy I'd rather it be an actual proxy like a China men for villa zheng
>>
>>49430557
Actually the only card in my deck with haste (and it doesn't even *have* haste unless you pay the kicker cost) is Goblin Bushwhacker.

And would you believe it if I told you that I don't even run Lighting Bolts?
>>
>>49430566
So, what is your solution, then?
>>
>>49431556
People will always be assholes. We have to ensure that the rules of Magic prevent them from fully expressing that right. Yes, players have the right to ask judges to shuffle their opponent's deck, I have to respect that. But the real problem there is that Wizards hasn't goddamn dictated a standard for proper shuffle methods. Because the game is built around the idea of freedom (deckbuilding, color preferences, themes, etc.) and you can't sell tonnes of useless Intro packs to new players if you drive them away with a community that appears to have a fork up its ass over strict shuffling methods (even though every serious card game has them).

>>49431621
I respect your right to call me out on my proxies. That is, by the definition of the rules, something you are allowed to do as what I'm doing is against the rules.

But you can be certain I will make every effort to ensure these proxies are indistinguishable from the real thing, because I respect the fact that some people believe in adhering to the rules enough to make the effort to not make them uncomfortable. I've gone as far as to wear down the dual lands to show they've seen some shit. And that is the standard that needs to be set. And only when proxies are illegal can we maintain that standard.

Because the day that we allow some guy to print out black and white cards and show up to anything sanctioned or casual and play with illegible shit is the day this game dies entirely.
>>
>>49423931
>>49423957
>>49423968

>That's how business operates so we should be fine with it.

KEKS
U
C
K
S
>>
>>49426419

>look mom I made a strawman
>>
>>49430359
>Twin was the good guy modern deck
>delusional twinnigers, WE WUZ KANGS
>>
>>49422151
>Glorious Illusion
>Trap card
>Artwork

Okay, but where is the dick?
>>
>>49432658
Nice non-argument.
>>
>>49431952
That's how businesses operate, so that's how we should believe they operate. You don't have to be fine with something to accept it as a fact. Facts don't care about your feelings.
>>
>>49431601

>i like this incredibly strong one drop
>but i wish it was REALLY broken

fuck off.
Thread posts: 341
Thread images: 34

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.