[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

TRUE GRIT

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

File: true-grit-5.jpg (131KB, 1600x764px) Image search: [Google]
true-grit-5.jpg
131KB, 1600x764px
Alright, /tg/, I want you guys to list the grittiest, goriest, most violent and lethal systems you guys know of, and any source of inspiration for running said games along with it, be them movies, video games or books.

Games where the combat is expected to start abruptly and end quickly, leaving plenty of fallout for all involved.

If you name a system you've already played, make sure to share with the rest of the thread the story about that one really memorable encounter that by the time your group was done with it you just had to lay back and say "Holy fuck, this game is brutal."
>>
>>49418257
Dogs in the Vineyard isn't lethal. In fact, the PCs will hardly ever die, and even gunfights aren't always going to kill someone.

But holy shit is it brutal, because it forces players to consider exactly how far they're willing to escalate a conflict, and when the guns do come out they know things have gotten fucking serious.
>>
go punch a guy in the middle of the street

fast pace, high lethality, no GM fiat
>>
>>49418280

I've been dying to try DitV; I recently read through the rulebook and watched a couple of actual players, and it sounds like a really fun and intense experience.
>>
>>49418257
All the horror games are pretty brutal when it comes to combat. CoC, DG, Nemesis, Dead of Night, ... A gun can kill an investigator in a round of CoC combat.

Paranoia and The Mountain Witch guarantee PvP deaths. Dread kills the characters one by one.
>>
>>49418300
Yeah but the courtroom scenes and prison levels are such a repetitive drag.
>>
>>49420323
Add Dark Heresy to that. It's basically CoC/DG in space.
>>
>>49418257
CoC

Ok, party of investigators running through a house on a river that is said to be haunted. Various puddles of murky water are found in rooms, creaking and usual noises of a New England late fall night are heard. Wind, and not much else. Gloomy fog ridden night makes the house seem even more claustrophobic and makes the investigators want to finish quickly. Split up and search the rooms. Scream and running starts to be heard. People are trying to find others and find out what is going on. One player has already seen a shadow of something not quite right, pass a down a hall that he was in a room off of. He decides it's time to leave, post haste. He starts heading for the front door. Door opens. He doesn't even wait for the description. He says "I shoot it. Both barrels."

Other party member is instagibbed by the double barrel shotgun blast, point blank in the chest. No save. No dodge. Just open door; dead.
>>
>>49418257
Any Warhammer RPG. Especially Warhammer fantasy roleplay 2nd edition is a favorite in my group. We just roll characters and start a game. Crits are gory, combat is lethal even against a random dude with a dagger. Highly intense and entertaining system. Usually most characters die before we finish a campaign. It's awesome.
>>
File: 1469867773953.jpg (78KB, 640x628px) Image search: [Google]
1469867773953.jpg
78KB, 640x628px
No one has mentioned All out of Bubblegum
>>
File: harnmaster_sheet.png (988KB, 622x896px)
harnmaster_sheet.png
988KB, 622x896px
>>49418257
Easy.

Phoenix Command. Which setting? Aliens. In fact, a Phoenix Command-based, licensed Aliens RPG has been published.
Why Aliens/Phoenix Command? Where else can you take 80,000 damage (I kid you not) to the head, a result that will kill you within 1 phase, unless you happen to get shot within the most advanced medical facility in the galaxy, in which case you will live another 52 minutes before you die.

In case you prefer fantasy: Hârnmaster. Which comes with its own setting, of course.
Why Harnmaster? Which other system has groin amputation as damage result? (pic related) In which system the fight against wound infection is at least as scary as the fight against the opponent who gave you the infected wound?

All other answers in this thread so far have been incorrect. (Though Warhammer and Rolemaster deserve honorary mention.)
>>
>>49418257
>Ctrl+F "GURPS"
0 results

C'mon /tg/ wtf
>>
>>49420415
>Dark Heresy
Yes.

>Acolytes must investigate chaos assassins on a developing Imperial World
>Really conspicuous as shit. Always have guns out, telling people they're inquisitors.
>Get cornered in a dark alleyway by goons sent to deal with them.
>PCs first volley of fire KOs their leader, maims the leg of another
>The remaining one fucking jets
>They fire at him as he runs screaming
>Critical +10 wounds on the head
>He's a headless, flaming body running throughout the streets
>They walk away casually

They were never anything close to undercover again.
>>
>>49418257
Riddle of Steel, SoS and the rest of the child systems. Combat can be over in just a few phases or even one id someone takes a risk.

SoS child Ballad even more so because holy shit guns kill people dead very quickly.
>>
>>49422446
>GURPS
>grittiest game
It's like some people don't even try.
>>
Runequest and the Riddle of Steel-descendents. Song of Swords especially prides itself on a gruesome sepsis system for wound infections.

One time, I was involved in a combat tournament in Song of Swords. My character, a landsknecht, was in a fight with an Onna-bushi with a naginata. After trading a few blows and going to grapple, I got the advantage and was able to draw a knife. I stabbed right at the stomach. The samurai lady managed to get her hand in the way to try and block it but failed the roll, so I stabbed right through the hand and into her stomach. It wasn't enough to kill her immediately because of her chest armor though, so they wrestled for a bit longer, the woman being stabbed in the stomach repeatedly until she bled to death after a couple rounds. I actually felt a bit sick after that fight.
>>
File: Funny_you_should_mention_that.png (82KB, 1155x382px) Image search: [Google]
Funny_you_should_mention_that.png
82KB, 1155x382px
>>49421973
>Which other system has groin amputation as damage result? (pic related) In which system the fight against wound infection is at least as scary as the fight against the opponent who gave you the infected wound?

Well actually.
>>
>>49422581
I remember a game that I was once it.

>Tracing a cult leader who had been inciting goodly imperial citizens to riot.
>Find his lair in a old warehouse.
>We're all pumped for a fight.
>The old cop goes first, fires his carnodon hand cannon at the cult leader.
>Blows off the guys shin and below, spraying blood everywhere and the cult leader goes straight into shock and bleeds out.
>Goons run for it, everyone is really surprised.
>>
>>49422742
Riddle of Steel? Song of Swords? Can we agree that Harnmaster was one inspiration to these games?
>>
>>49421973
>Which other system has groin amputation as damage result?
Kingdom Death.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.