[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Comfort Zone?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

File: aaaaa.jpg (78KB, 441x601px) Image search: [Google]
aaaaa.jpg
78KB, 441x601px
I'm relatively new to GMing, and was looking for a comfortable tabletop system to GM.

Does anyone have any suggestions?
>>
Comfortable?

Like, it's cutesy?

Ryutaama
>>
>>49415050
5e D&D is pretty simplistic and easy to run. If D&D isn't your speed, Star Wars: Edge of the Empire is more complex, but very organic and fun to play. The generic d6 system games are a bit old-school, but the books are very brief and the games themselves are pretty good, with lots of chances for character customization. You could also look into the Cortex system games; I have a soft spot for that system myself.

You haven't given us much to work with.
>>
>>49415143
Comfortable as in, easy to GM or play.

I've heard Pathfinder is kinda hell to play, for example.
>>
>>49415346
If you plan on playing d20 fantasy, just go with 5e D&D. It's simple, easy to use and understand, and combats aren't a chore. It's also very disposed to roleplay as well as rollplay as it focuses pretty equally on fluff and crunch, at least as the classes and backgrounds are concerned. I never was one to use the default worlds for anything; for instance, my own 5e game to be starting soon will take place in not!Venice at the start of the age of gunpowder, and be a dark, gothic-style setting and metaplot with additional rules for horror and madness mechanics, so it's pretty far from generic fantasy, and the system handles that just fine. Plus you only need three books to run it, though Sword Coast has some cool stuff in it.

I used to use Pathfinder exclusively. If you want comfy, avoid it and stick with 5e.
>>
>>49415346

Savage Worlds

Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 2e

Traveller
>>
>GURPS

But on a more serious note, 5th Edition D&D is pretty good for beginners. Dont let anons fool you into playing Fate. There is such a thing as too streamlined
>>
>>49415050
In practice The Dark Eye and Degenesis tend to be light on rules and heavy on lore because you will mostly avoid fighting, making GMing less stressful in that regard.
>>
This is my personal opinion, and it definitely depends on what sort of campaign you and your players want, but I've found that 4e is fairly easy to GM and relatively simple for new players to pick up, particularly if they're fond of vidya. However, the main downfall is that 4e is all but completely focused on combat, which is a bit of a problem if you and your players want to have something more focused on character development and roleplaying.

And as has been mentioned before, 5e is a very good all 'rounder system, haven't GMed it, but I have played it and it's pretty easy to pick up.
>>
>>49415612
4e can do just about anything, it just isn't very detailed in mechanics.
The main difference to other D&D editions is that it openly displays the fact instead of burying it in large quantities of verbiage, which can be a bit discouraging.
Then again, if you don't do combat, what are you doing playing D&D?
>>
Dungeon World is easy to learn and drills you in the basics of GM:ing (how to add conflict, how to challenge players, how to punish failed rolls, etc). It's a good place to start before you move on to more challenging, balanced and rewarding systems, since your GM:ing experience carries over.

As an added bonus it's also sort of hard to be chaotic stupid towards your fellow party members in DW. This is good since chaotic stupidness towards party members is a really bad habit newbie players tend to have before they shake it off and becomes comfortable with rp:ing (basically chaotic stupidness is a way to release tension for newbie players, but it's a bad habit).

So I recommend a 3-12 sessions DW campaign (just something simple like help a village slay a dragon or something) with some people you are comfortable GM:ing with, then you move onto more exciting projects.
>>
>>49415346
Beyond the Wall. Zero prep for both players and GM (besides learning the rules), although you do need to be able to improvise a bit. Rules are easy as dick. Works as either one-shots or campaigns.
>>
>>49415411
This, this and dont know about traveller.

Also DND hacks, i like 1974 style.
>>
>>49415050
Apocalypse World or any of its derivatives.
>>
>>49416562
Also atomic highway. Post apoc roleplay with simple d6 pools (about 7 dice needed)
>>
>>49415432
GURPS is pretty easy once you've actually read the book. Players barely need to, too.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.