[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

JRPG / TTRPG thread!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 178
Thread images: 24

File: 15575753144_94c0fd196d_k.jpg (2MB, 2048x1365px) Image search: [Google]
15575753144_94c0fd196d_k.jpg
2MB, 2048x1365px
>search catalogue
> No JRP or J-game anything

so, anything weeaboo and gamer?

also,
this page makes me want to cry:
http://aurora-model.jp/character.html

>none of it is in print....
>>
I have a Ryuutama game.
It's pretty great.
>>
File: 1424421455146.png (172KB, 800x554px) Image search: [Google]
1424421455146.png
172KB, 800x554px
>>49413431
>Ryuutama

cool. i was looking for my PDF translation of Meikyu KIngdon (th ebland B&W one) and didn't find it. anyone have it bychance?

in return, have a waifu-slayer.
>>
>>49413644
This one?
>>
>>49413644
https://mega.nz/#F!KA1DHRRL!MGkoDoBdnehHG7D2iXOwXQ
here you go, all of the translated games we have
>>
>>49413249
Shinobigami isn't out yet, there are no new fan translations and not enough people play JTRPGs to merit rules discussion.

Not much to talk about, unless you want to rekindle the discussion about how Magic Type scaling in Ryuutama is absolutely inacceptable/perfectly fine.
>>
>>49414931
I'll have you know that my opinion on Ryuutama's magic type scaling is, "It depends on the rp group and what they expect from the game. Me, personally, I'm happy to accept what's there. Though I suppose I do sort of wish the Technical type was more enticing to play. In comparison to the other two, only the more experienced players are likely to be interested in it."
>>
>>49415125
Fixing Technical Type is easy. Just tell your players how awesome Concentration is and mention that Initiative also means defense.
>>
>>49413249
I bought Tenra Bansho Zero at a Convention over the summer, and I've run it three time so far. Very fun game. Great side game material for when a good chunk of players are busy for the regular game.
>>
>>49415906
How did you manage to sell your players on it?
>>
>>49415385
Good call. I don't know that it would occur to me to have brought up the defense part in particular. It's a more easily understood benefit for someone new to the game than the Concentration bit. I'll try to work on upping my sell on Concentration too. (Hopefully without making it sound like either Magic Types or Attack Types are the poor choices.)
>>
>>49417626
Magic and Attack Types have very obvious benefits. That should not be an issue.
>>
>>49415958
Not the guy you are quoting but I just told them "look at this cool thing, do you want to try it for a couple of one shots?"
>>
>>49420134
The answer to that usually ranges from "No, thanks." to "Eh, I'd rather not."
>>
>>49420705
Then you should play with another group.
A group that enjoys a specific game to the point where they refuse to give new things a spin are in love with the game, not with roleplaying as a whole, and will weigh you down in the long run.
If they're not interested in exploring new games and playing new characters in new settings, they have no passion for the medium and are just hooked on something they find "cool" - and that way lie 3aboos and hack-and-slash junkies who consider it magical realm to play anything else than a male human fighter in full plate.
>>
>>49420782
I take offense to your immediate conclusion that my group consists of 3aboos. In fact, I am the only one in that group to ever have played 3.PF.
Every group I have been part of has played and enjoyed at least three different games, with little aversion to trying new systems.
But I have yet to find someone apart from myself who is not averse to trying out Tenra Bansho Zero.
>>
>>49420897
Find a group of people that are into anime and RPGs and show them the book
>>
>>49420958
I have.
>>
>>49420980
Then your group is very closed minded I guess? I had no issues trying it with my group
>>
What do you consider essential for capturing the comfy feeling of classic JRPGs like early Final Fantasy, Fire Emblem, Dragon Quest or Chrono Trigger?

Do you think it can be accomplished purely through tone and setting, or are certain mechanics must-haves?
>>
>>49421235
tone and setting. You can use any system though I will say you probably want a simple one to make everything pretty comfy
>>
>>49421004
>Apocalypse World
>Blades in the Dark
>Make You Kingdom
>Dungeon World
>Ryuutama
>mystery homebrew

I don't know where you get "close-minded" from.
Besides, I've found multiple other RPG groups at the local monthly anime con, but none of them have any interest in TBZ.
>>
>>49413811
certified real bro right there!
>>
File: 1415024629707.png (31KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1415024629707.png
31KB, 500x500px
>Card Ranker is still untranslated
>>
>>49423521
Worse yet, it is still unscanned.
If someone were to scan it (not me, shipping quadruples price, etc.) a translation would follow not long after, especially with the draft of Shinobigami, a fellow Saikoro Fiction game, having been released already.
>>
>>49423669
>>49423521
How much would all of this cost?
>>
>>49425218
The book costs about 15 usd and another 12 to ship to USA (don't know about other countries) on amazon; cdjapan has cheaper shipping options and may still have it in stock.

Then you wait forever for someone to actually translate it, which you would hope would be free.

The realization that you got this worked up only find out after all that that it's actually an incredibly mediocre game, however, will be priceless.
>>
>>49425449
>it's like 120 usd to ship it to my country

why did i have to be born in a shithole
>>
So is it safe to assume the official Meikyuu Kingdom translation has gone tits up at this point?
>>
>>49425517
>120

really? which counrty?

USA here, but i live in Montana
>>
>>49426341
I may be exaggerating, but that was the cost of a doujin that I wanted to buy once. I live in Chile.
>>
File: ImaWizard.jpg (84KB, 713x399px) Image search: [Google]
ImaWizard.jpg
84KB, 713x399px
>>49426404

dude, Chile otaku are bro-tier. each one i've met.

glad to meet you, anon!
>>
>>49426404
>Chile
>Not living inside a chili in glorious America
Brah, what are you doing?
>>
>>49426596
Everyone is an otaku over here, man. Most people would think it twice before showing their power level, but they love animu and mangos.

>>49426618
>implying my house isn't made of chili
>implying that the whole world isn't America

???????
>>
>>49426669
But you aren't living in good America, you are living in inferior America if you need to pay this much to ship stuff. Come home brah
>>
>>49426712
>implying there's an inferior america

It's okay to not have decent shipping costs as long as uncle sam wills it. I live in the land of liberty, that's the only important thing
>>
>>49427114
I don't know how I would live life without the ability to import Japanese shit nobody cares enough about to scan.
>>
File: 1474224523264.jpg (48KB, 619x618px) Image search: [Google]
1474224523264.jpg
48KB, 619x618px
>this thread.
>>
>physical english ryuutama supplement releases next year
can't w a i t
>>
>>49425218
About €15 for the book and €30 for shipping to Germany.

>>49425563
The official MYK translation went tits up the moment it was announced by some company that nobody had ever heard of before or since.
>>
>>49425563
Last I saw - public post in an obscure group - the English translators for Meikyuu Kingdom hadn't heard back from the MK license holders and assumed they were being told silently to fuck off. Then one of the English translators for TBZ/Ryuutama/etc said he'd recently talked to the MK license holders and they mentioned *they* hadn't heard from the English translators and thought the English translators had given up. Which makes me wonder whether the English translators are really bad at communication or the Japanese dudes are trying to save face.

tl;dr - Pretty recent gossip, but who knows if it means anything will come out of it.
>>
>>49429150
I am strongly inclined to blame the English translators on account of the Essen announcement being their only lifesign I have ever seen, even after several attempts at research.
>>
>>49429334
Yup. That's my take on it too. The most signs of life I ever saw from the English translators was on a few 4chan threads I found while searching for Meikyuu Kingdom information in the first place. They claimed several years ago that they were thinking of a G+ group since the TBZ/Ryuutama/Golden Sky Stories groups were so successful. As far as I know - and I've checked - they never got around to even doing that little. Never found even a Twitter account for them. They clearly should not be in charge of their own communications. Much less sniffing around for another translation project, like they were when they made the post I was referring to. (On G+ if you want to search around for the group.)
>>
>>49429420
It would seem that incompetent people tying up interesting licenses is a problem with TRPGs, too.
See Double Cross.
>>
>>49429496
What's the deal re: Double Cross? I know people complain about the books being a shit-show in terms of layout/organization and possibly sloppy translations, but at least they've produced results, so they have that much.
>>
>>49423521
There's a board game called Millennium Blades, designed to be a "CCG Simulator", wherein you buy cards, build decks and play in tournaments, similar to playing a CCG. They're coming out with a roleplaying game for it sometime next year that uses the cards of the game as the main mechanic.
>>
>>49430145
>but at least they've produced results
What kind of argument is that?
Fan translators have produced better results without charging a single cent.

The issue is that VBA is tying up the license, which is now dead in the water, and charges a pretty penny for a product that fails to meet pretty much any quality standard.

It doesn't take a design student to tell that the layout is garbage. Tons of whitespace, ugly, impractical page layout and catastrophic power formatting. There were plans to touch up the latter, but the previews showed that the redesign failed to even remotely address what made the formatting trash.
It is abundantly clear that the project has no editor because all of the books are riddled with both language and facutal errors. There is no comprehensive errata, either. There are two documents with different errata online, both of which require some digging to find, and the current pdf contains a number of corrections which neither document reflects. And there are still errors in that current pdf, such as the price of UGN Battle Armor, which itself is a questionable translation of an English term in the Japanese original.

Shite is what they've produced. Calling that "results" is something of a stretch.
>>
>>49430437
That's a very different beast, isn't it?
Card Ranker only requires two six-sided dice, as opposed to a $80 card game.
>>
>>49431279
Wouh. You are angry enough you missed I was making a dig at the Meikyuu Kingdom guys who have sat on the license for literally years officially and probably longer unofficially and have shit to show for it. The fan translator, iirc, said they stopped working on their translation because of the official one coming.

The Double Cross team clearly did a much shittier job than I'd heard and I'm not giving them a pass on it. I'm just saying they did a better job than the MK guys in that they have produced "something", even if it needs to be burned and started over from scratch.
>>
File: images (77).jpg (25KB, 511x288px) Image search: [Google]
images (77).jpg
25KB, 511x288px
Hello fellow weeaboo faggots. I am currently in Japan and I know nothing about JRPG/TTRPGs (I'm usually into 40k but that's beside the point), but I wish to get to know them better. I would greatly appreciate any help whatsoever and I'll love you forever

Thanks in advance!
>>
>>49431353
>You are angry enough you missed I was making a dig at the Meikyuu Kingdom guys
Yes, I'll admit to that. Though I hope you can see why.

As for Lanternworks Unlimited, I can't even really be angry at them, because to my knowledge, they do not even exist.
Besides, judging from >>49429150, I doubt it would be particularly difficult to obtain the license from the Japanese publisher after such a long time of nothing happening with it. Then again, I know nothing of the legal ramifications of licensing.

>>49431448
Why don't you ask the locals?
Most of our knowledge comes from fan translations, Ewen Cluney, Kotodama Heavy Industries and Google Translate.
>>
>>49431353
Speaking of Double Cross "team":
As far as I can tell, that "team" consists of a single guy going by "KH Shu". He basically vanished some time ago after posting about health issues or somesuch. Meaning that no more work on Double Cross will be done in... well, probably ever.
>>
>>49431558
Yeah, I get it. And it's got to be galling that because they fucked everything up, the likelihood of it getting an actually decent professional translation/packaging is almost nil now. If the first translation does shit, then the Japanese rights holders likely won't be interested in trying again and if it does well, then there's no real push to do better/revisit. Sucks all around.

>>49431448
What'cha looking for? Like the other Anon said, most of us are only familiar with what's out in English either via official or fan translations, but what we know about might be up your alley. If you just want a general overview of what's out in English, I'll bet someone can tl;dr the major games out.

I don't know of anything in Japanese that is particularly like 40k. The only thing that comes to mind is Nechronica and I somehow think that while dark and gritty and disturbing, you're probably not actually interested in playing zombie lolitas.
>>
>>49431668
I am a sucker for hyperbole and downright hilarious (read:stupid) over the top settings. That Lolita zombie game might be up my alley. I also enjoy dark fantasy and post apocalyptic environments. Cheers dude!
>>
>>49431668
Actually, it's more professional indignation than any sort of personal attachment. I am a translator in training (German, English, Spanish, without access to proper Japanese resources, so don't go expecting any fan translations from me just yet), so I can spot the work of a lazy and incompetent hack.

Assuming KH Shu only messed up details instead of fucking up entire rules, Double Cross is not a very good system to begin with. HP are meaningless, defense is useless, Encroachment is everything, Critical Value breaks combat, starting characters are severely limited, specialization is necessary, Red Servants are garbage...
I'm almost glad that VBA fucked up Double Cross instead of a better game.
>>
>>49431744
Nechronica does over the top, and it does it well.
The setting is so ridiculously grim that it passes past grim, into ridiculous and straight into that sweet spot where you don't know if it's depressing or morbidly funny - everything is ridiculously fucked up to the point of being gratuitous, but that's because that's the only entertainment the Necromancers have left.
The world is pretty much devoid of life and blighted down to the last stubborn bacterium, so the best thing the Necromancers have to do with their existences is to patch together the closest thing they can to children - things that remind them of life, but are still going to suffer horrible agony because there's barely anything left but starvation, madness and pain.
The best thing is that you can't overdo Nechronica, only underplay it. The more fucked your concept is, as long as it's an undead loli (or shota), the more it fitsthe setting.
>>
>>49431744
You might also want to look into Meikyuu Kingdom too, then. (See the top of the thread.)

Meikyuu Kingdom is an over the top game that parodies dungeon crawls. The entire world has fallen into a labyrinth and the Ruler and his/her advisors must go out into the labyrinth and carve out a kingdom.

Features include: some minor PVP elements due to changing relationships, a board-game-y kingdom management sim element, and classes such as the Knight, Ninja, Maid/Butler, and Happymancer. You can fight monsters, attempt to recruit them to your kingdom as citizens, or hell - just turn them into rations and eat them. (Or recruit them as citizens and then later turn them into mounts to ride into battle. What else are kitsune for?)
>>
>>49431917
>>49431808
Thanks for the recs. I'll be sure to check them out!
>>
Is there anyone here that knows what's going on with TLwiki? A lot of JRPG rules and translations are there, but the site is always yo-yo'ing online and offline. I've started some amateur translations of my own and wondering where to host them.
>>
>>49432448
No idea - but out of curiousity, what are you translating?
>>
>>49432448
Just grab a Wordpress and Mediafire/Mega account or something similar
>>
>>49432530
Nechronica. I've got all the books, I'm still learning Japanese, so I've been clarifying rules, parts and picking up bits that have been left out.

Actual translation of the entire books and scenarios are a while off. Kanji is the devil.
>>
>>49432448
If I'm not entirely mistaken, the site sold out to JAST a year or two ago and removed a lot of fan translations for games that JAST had bought up the license on, and as is usual for them, most of those properties have ended up stewing for ages and not getting any work done.
People started leaving the community because fan translations were being purged and multiple underway projects were canceled, and by now the place is basically a shadow of what it was. They probably can't pay the costs for a proper webhost, considering that no one is willing to pump money into a site that gathers donations for a job that they never release because of a poke on the shoulder from a two-bit company that couldn't level a lolsuit without asking their parents for money.
>>
>>49432448
Is there still a JTRPG Discord? I used to lurk and they had a channel for file storage. At least one person there was super into Nechronica, so I'd bet it'd be a good place to get immediate feedback, if not archiving.
>>
>>49431744
If you like dark fantasy and over the top settings, you might get a kick out of Grancrest. It's basically a fantasy superhero game, crediting Berserk and Avengers as its big influences, and while it's pretty basic as far as RPGs go it's also fairly solid.

Shinobigami might also be a good fit. It's a modern day urban fantasy ninja intrigue game, but it highly encourages over the top descriptions bordering on the corny, old school ninja movie and battle shounen anime stuff.
>>
>>49432603
Yup, there still is. I'm part of it and just musing about TLwiki's reliability.
>>
>>49413249
>bottom right
>Insane 2 Dead Loop
Huh, something for Umineko/Higurashi/"murder mysteries that use the same characters repeatedly" fans. Neat.
>>
>>49433021
I mean, Insane is just a generic horror game, I'm not sure why you have to qualify it with stuff like Higurashi. It could just as well be a Cthulhu game or whatever, if you want to make it that. The third book in the series is all about playing SCP teams.
>>
>>49433232
It's my first time seeing it, and reading the summary, Higurashi/Umineko were the first titles I thought about, mostly due to the looping thing. Saw the SCP book too, didn't know it was popular enough in Japan for a book to be made for it.
>>
>>49431279

Yeah because the licence was so in demand before VBA got hold of it. They arent "tying up" shit because nobody gives a shit about the licence. The layout isnt amazing, its fairly basic, but its not the shitshow you're making it out to be. Hadnt heard about the "factual errors" problem, any examples of the top of your head?

VBA, being a one man show, is MIA at the moment due to his health issues IIRC
>>
Is there a scan of the original Grancrest available?
>>
>>49433727
Yes, Shu is tying up the license because he's not doing anything with it and if anyone wants to pick it up, they can't because of him.

"Basic" is a good keyword for the layout, because it's the very basics that Shu fails at.
Centered text is garbage for anything that isn't a title.
Data points should be at fixed positions relative to the border so that they can be easily spotted and compared.
They should also make use of abbreviations or symbols for the same purpose.

Aside from the aforementioned UGN Battle Armor, there were a couple of powers containing data points, formulae or descriptions that didn't make sense to me and which were different when I looked them up in the Japanese rulebooks 1 and 2. I don't remember which exactly and since I'm working with the book and there is no comprehensive errata, I have no idea whether those errors have been fixed in some version of the pdf.
>>
>>49431328
This is true, 40 vs 80 is a major price difference, though Millennium Blades has a multiplayer card game on top of the Roleplaying game.
>>
>>49435980
Where do you get $40 from? Card Ranker only costs only $15 and most people already have two six-sided dice at home.
And Millennium Blades's $80 do not figure in the RPG.
>>
>>49433769
Doesn't seem like it.
>>
>>49435980
The first link I found from google said 17 + almost 20 dollars shipping. If there's somewhere far cheaper, then I'm willing to accept that, but First Google Search was the most effort I was willing to put in for a discussion on 4chan.
>>
>>49437683
Whoops, meant to quote >>49436047, not myself.
>>
>>49431448

Akihabara

Roll & Role

profit.

>err, more like loose the wallet
>>
>>49437683
If we're factoring in shipping, Millennium Blades is even more expensive for me to import than Card Ranker.
>>
>>49437843
I live in the US, but coolstuff has it for a hair under 60 post shipping for US Shipping. Not necessarily advocating it instead, just as another source until (read: if) Card Ranker ever gets translated, I totally agree that actually having Card Ranker is probably a better solution if the base game of Millennium Blades doesn't interest you.
>>
>>49431448
You wouldn't happen to be willing to buy and scan some stuff, would you?
>>
>>49435373

Tying up the licence implies there is some demand for it, which is ludicrous. Your overly nit-picky objections to the layout are similarly hyperbolic, and poorly informed. Centered text might be over-used but there's nothing typographically wrong with. There's also the fact that the text in DX isnt centered. Its justified, the columns are centererd, so the problems with large blocks of centered text are avoided.

So you have one example and others "vaguely recalled". As for no comprehensive errata, a basic google search (or you know the link on the publishers website) would show the (overly extensive) 31 page errata from the mangled first printing (which I sadly own). All of which were fixed for the first official pdf release (and I'm sure thats the one you have and not the scanned version of the initial print run thats doing the rounds, right?)

No-one has to like anything, but the faux outrage is tiresome
>>
>>49439034
Depends. Do I get a cookie?
>>49437776
I wish I could go there but I'm in Kansai
>>
>>49440816
>Depends. Do I get a cookie?
You will get my eternal thanks
>>
ded thred
>>
>>49440816
You will get our eternal gratitude and a vastly improved chance at seeing those games fan-translatedm which is crucial if you ever want to play them outside of Japan.

Unless your friends all speak Japanese, I guess.
>>
>>49444288
>>49441487
You guys convinced me. Is there any that I should look for?
>>
>>49446470
Card Ranker, for starters.
Personally, I'd love to have マギカロギア, which I would definitely endeavour to translate myself.
>>
Call of Cthulhu is really popular in japan, the number of Replay on nicovideo and pixiv is astounding.
But, instead of pure horror and grim atmosphere of the western playstyle, they're pretty lighthearted and funny.
Here's a manga of a replay (i'm thinking of translating it):
http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=59029339
Also here the douga version:
http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm29660816

>>49446470
Anything of Shinobigami (except the base manual, that's already done.)
Kill Death Business - キルデスビジネス
also, seconding マギカロギア, it's only three volumes.
>>
>>49447115
Actually, two of the books on the Magica Logia page are just replays. The rulebook alone, which should already contain a replay as the first half of the book, is perfectly sufficient.
>>
>>49447146
>>49447115
I'll be able to go look for them this weekend. I'll try to find マギアロギア、card rankers and shinobigami then. Should I make a new thread then or look for one of these?
>>
>>49447198
Hmmmm, everyone here will probably be highly anticipating new updates from you, try to make a new thread with a JRPG/TTRPG tag.
>>
>>49447198
I don't think you need to bother with Shinobigami.
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong, but the localized version draws from more than the base book. And again, the vast majority of books on the site are replays.
Anything labeled a replay, you don't need to bother with, especially for Saikoro Fiction games.

As for the thread, look for a thread with the apporiate tag and if there is none, make one.
>>
>>49447267
>b-b-but i really like replays :( .........

He's right, save the money for rulebooks.
>>
Yeah... was going to say, "I like replays!" - especially since no one seems to care to translate them. But in the battle of book vs replay, I think we know which should win.

On the subject of games to look out for, I heard someone recommend https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gear_Antique
>>
File: bnt_top.jpg (511KB, 750x600px) Image search: [Google]
bnt_top.jpg
511KB, 750x600px
>>49447428
Also Beast Bind, also from F.E.A.R.
I'm curious on this since i heard that Nitroplus based a VN on this setting.
>>
>>49447473
>>49447428
>>49447400
>>49447267
I'll see what I can do for you guys
>>
>>49447556
You are a gentleman and a scholar.
>>
>>49447473
I am rather apprehensive about anything coming from F.E.A.R., thanks to the blight that S.R.S. tends to be.
>>
>>49448346
It's not just SRS, there's really very little in the Japanese gaming scene that's interesting and unique enough to warrant the effort to translate it, and a big chunk of those already have been translated. That's speaking pragmatically, of course; if you're just a diehard weeb who needs to see the endless train of trash games they put out, then you should probably consider learning Japanese and buy them yourself.
>>
>>49448346
>>49448482
You're right, please >>49447556 , prioritize Saikoro Fiction instead, they're currently my favorite RPG makers right now.
>>
>>49448482

Are we talking setting or mechanics?
>>
>>49448861
From my experience, Japanese games tend to suffer from having an interesting setting captured in a bad way by a funky system that's always very complex (though often surprisingly smooth in action) with a few interesting gimmicks that don't quite weigh out the funkiness.
The Japanese love SRS and systems derived from it, and it's used to crank out spinoff and tie-in games to series with interesting settings that then end up as a stale and derivative game.
There are also a lot of cases in which the setting is simply a hashed-up mess (Night Wizard), but a lot of them are like Double Cross. It has a good setting with a bit of self-irony and some potential good characterization hooks, but the Japanese tend to have less time for long sessions and thus use systems like SRS that end up in a lot of situations that could otherwise have been roleplaying resolved through combat, with interesting fluff resolved with awkwardly shoehorned-in crunch.
>>
>>49448998

I dont really see how that differs meaningfully from most western TRPGS. The most popular ones all use fairly derivative and unexciting mechanics and sell themselves on the setting or one or two unique mechanics. Which seems to be much the same for JTRPGS, so I dont see how that discounts them from being worth the effort to translate.
>>
I would like yo see some Alshard and Tokyo Nova being translated myself. Also, a more complete Sword World because the one on the Wiki is very lacking in substance
>>
>>49450203
Tokyo Nova is already translated.
>>
>>49450424
Really? I didn't know we had a full translation by now. I remember someone said they wanted to translate it awhile ago
>>
>>49450724
Well, it's not a full translation, it's a fan translation.
It's playable.
>>
>>49448562
I've read the Shinobigami draft.
Saikoro Fiction as a system is pretty damn elegant, isn't it?
>>
bampi-desu
>>
>>49450036
Popular Japanese TTRPGs like Arianrhod, Log Horizon, Sword World, Grancrest, etc... are all significantly more similar to each other than an equivalent selection of Western ones like D&D5, Fate Core, PF, Savage Worlds, etc. Their one unique mechanic is rarely even "Our Dice Rolls Are Different" (is that a tvtropes page yet?) but often just an add-on like LH's aggro cost system, Grancrest's mass combat, or Night Wizard's crit and fumble number management. Sometimes they just try to stand on the strength of a unique setting and unique character options, like OGL heartbreakers... except these games are coming from big publishers.

It's fairly rare that they even pretend to have anything to them other than a combat system and basic skill rolls, as well.
>>
Can someone give me a rundown of what Tenra Bansho actually is and what kind of games do you run with it? Some reviews suggest it's not entirely conventional and has some weird scene stuff, so I'd like to hear more.

Also, is it actually a good game?
>>
>>49456462

Again I dont see as much distinction as you do, most western rpg's differentiate themselves more on setting than they do in terms of mechanics. D&D and Pathfinder are by far the best selling WTRPGS out there and are more than superficially similar (in both setting and mechanics actually). After that you have the huge swathe of Onyx Path games which all use more or less the same system with the special resource renamed and Savage Worlds is just another Stat+Skill system. The fact that D&D is a lot like PF doesnt stop either selling very well (for RPGs) or people enjoying them so I dont really see how its a worthwhile metric to eliminate consideration for translation. Maybe people are primarily interested in the setting/look of the things? Then again its all academic because none of them are getting translated anyway
>>
>>49448861
Mechanics. The one thing where Japanese RPGs really do shine is in setting/premise, which, at least for me, makes the fact that so many of them are mechanically bankrupt all the more disheartening.

I guess I could add the caveat that the veneer of a lot of these games is well worth it. But the idea that mechanics needs to support theme (or even, that mechanics at least need to be interesting) is too often disappointingly absent.

>>49453934
Saikoro Fiction can be a great system, but I feel like a lot of the games that use it don't really maximize its potential. A bunch of them are practically just a framework for taking turns doing freeform. Part of what makes Shinobigami such a great game is that it takes the inherent resource management aspect of SF and turns those resources into bits and pieces of a story. Most of the rest of the line doesn't do it nearly as well, sadly.

Part of why I frequently tout Kancolle RPG as a great system is because it does utilize the SF framework really well, since its theme itself is all about character growth, discovery, awakening, etc... and every time the system presents you with a choice, it reinforces that theme. The system essentially makes charop the entire game.

I mention a lot how Card Ranker is a mediocre game with an unfortunately great premise, because it falls into the "freeform with a combat system" category. You can definitely see how the designer took a lot from Kancolle RPG when he made Beginning Idol, making the payoff of each scene matter a lot more.
>>
File: 1470946756278.jpg (87KB, 300x427px) Image search: [Google]
1470946756278.jpg
87KB, 300x427px
do we have a comprehensive newb list?

name as many JRPG's as possible....

>Pic related
>Shinobigami
>Double Cross
>Meikyu Kingdom
>Tenra Bansho Zero
>Ryuutama
>Golden Sky Stories
>Night Wizard
>Millenium Blade
>Zettai Reido
>Maid
>Arianrhod
>Sword Quest
>Alshard
>Tokyo Nova
>Card Ranker
>Magikoro
>Beast Bind
>Kill Death Business
>Saikoro Fiction

i'm not cool enough to name more....
>>
>>49456894
>a lot of the games that use it don't really maximize its potential
Well, duh. Wasted potential is a running theme with TRPGs worldwide.

>I mention a lot how Card Ranker is a mediocre game with an unfortunately great premise, because it falls into the "freeform with a combat system" category.
You do?
I've only ever seen the "Card Ranker is a mediocre game" part, without any explanation whatsoever.

Since you seem so knowledgeable about the SF line, care to go into a bit more detail on the various games?

>>49457727
How is that list even remotely useful?

>Pic related
Gamebook, not RPG. Also, not translated.

>Millennium Blade
Western card game, not JRPG.

>Zettai Reido
>Arianrhod
>Alshard
>Card Ranker
>Beast Bind
>Kill Death Business
Not translated.

>Saikoro Fiction
Framework, not a game.

>Sword Quest
>Magikoro
Not TRPGs at all.
>>
>>49456530
It's a Japanese TRPG is what it is. Central gimmick is the Karma system.

Players can award each other Aiki for good/interesting roleplaying, especially if they play towards their Fates (beliefs, connections, destinies).
Aiki is converted to more Kiai between Acts, at a rate determined by the PC's strongest Fate.
Aiki and Kiai can be used to boost rolls or improve characters permanently.
Spent Kiai is converted to Karma. If a PC has 108 or more Kiai at the end of an Act, they turn into a NPC.
You can reduce Karma by changing your Fates, representing character development.

In essence, the system is intended to fit an entire character arc into a single session and to give players a way to directly reward others for doing what the find enjoyable.
As such, it is intended for one-shots or at least very short campaign. Longer campaigns are possible, but you need to modify the Karma system a little.

You can run almost any kind of game with Tenra Bansho, provided you pick the right archetypes and make it suitably dramatic.
Shinto, Kijin and Ninja make for good corporate espionage in the vein of Shadowrun.
Almost all character archetypes except for Oni and Ayakashi work for a D&D-style dungeon crawl if you send them Oni and Ayakashi hunting.
Oni, Ayakashi, Kugutsu, Ninja and Onmyouji in any combination hold potential for supernatural intrigue à la WoD.

And yes, it's a good game. Although it's rather heavy on new and experienced GMs alike, since it requires a good deal of prepwork and assumes a rather unusual GMing style, at least for western sensibilities.
>>
>>49460559
You didn't mention the Emotion Matrix, which is something I personally find interesting.

When you meet a new character, both characters roll on the Emotion Matrix, which decides how you feel about each other at first sight. For instance, "True Love" or "Thirst for Blood".

The GM and/or other players can try to coax players into shifting to a different result or the player rolling can spend points to move to a different position on the emotion matrix to avoid things like, y'know, falling in love with your own sibling or feeling a brotherly bond with the villain.

Not every player is going to find the use of the Emotion Matrix fun, but I love it for the times some really out there "twist" comes into play because of it. If you want to see it in action, the Roll20 Youtube channel had a one-shot where the Emotion Matrix really made the session amazing.
>>
>>49433769
Book One (which is the translated rulebook) is online for free on the publisher's website ( grancrest.jp )

I love this game. It's almost an OSR game, you've got old school LAW vs CHAOS, ruling domains, three classes (Fighters, Wizards and Artists - although Artists aren't all that much like Clerics). Plus background by the dude who brought us LODOSS. What's not to love?
>>
死なないで!
>>
>>49457727
>>Tokyo Nova
Janky list aside, how is this? Heard about a card based system and we don't have many of those at all. Is the game actually fun?
>>
>>49464745
Unfortunately I haven't got around to actually playing it, but the rules definitely sound good.

It has a combo system somewhat similar to Double Cross's, but powers are a good deal more varied and there are 22 "classes" by default, with a couple more from an expansion.

Both Common Skills and Style Skills (class powers) are each tied to a suit. For Common Skills the first suit is fixed, but for Style Skills, you can choose. The main benefit of leveling up Skills is getting to choose an additional suit. For every action, you have an appropriate Action Skill chosen from the Common Skills and you can add one additional skill per level in the Action Skill. You then have to play a card that matches one suit of all the Skills in the combo.

This system makes for some interesting decisions in character creation if you want to be able to use every suit in some way.
>>
File: psychicheartss.jpg (64KB, 349x500px) Image search: [Google]
psychicheartss.jpg
64KB, 349x500px
Can anyone tell me about Psychic Hearts?
>>
File: Medabots TRPG.jpg (181KB, 438x620px) Image search: [Google]
Medabots TRPG.jpg
181KB, 438x620px
>>49457727
Pic related. Medabots TRPG. It's apparently based on Nechronica. I haven't been able to buy it yet, Pixiv Booth wouldn't take my card. I'm getting a Japanese friend to buy it.
>>
>>49470543
>Medabots TRPG. It's apparently based on Nechronica.
>It's apparently based on Nechronica.
>Medabots
>Nechronica

you fucking what

seriously though, it's actually kind of brilliant, given how similar they end up being once it all boils down to it, though again, >based on Nechronica
>>
File: medarotmap.png (2MB, 2300x2300px) Image search: [Google]
medarotmap.png
2MB, 2300x2300px
>>49471428
>based on Nechronica
It's got the 1d10 system and everything from what I can tell. Obviously changing plenty to fit with medabots in general. Pic related is a map for online games they provide on their site. Not sure how movement is going to be different, but it looks like it might be interesting.
>>
>>49471428
Basically any setting where players have body parts that can be swapped out would work with the basic idea of Nechronica's system. You have your tin pet which are the basic parts of your Doll and then all the bits you add on to specialize.

I'm honestly surprised I've never heard of a Medabots system and I would have assumed that it would have been a long enough period of time for a more recent "battle bots" series to serve as the setting. With this you could potentially run Custom Robo, Armored Core, Zoids, or whatever flavor of Gunpla is popular right now.
>>
>>49470543
Is that Artorias on the right?
Glad to see that this exists. The Japanese doujin RPG scene is really cool. Virtually none of it is translated though.
>>
>>49471586
Yeah, with the whole body part swapping that's pretty integral to Nechronica I'm not surprised Medabots fits so well, even if >>49471556
is right and there's more to it than just a reskin. I'm more... surprised isn't really what i'm looking for. Nonplussed, maybe? that it's taken so long for someone to take the base system and apply it to something a little more family friendly than "of all things, fucking necrololis?": The Game. I'd love to see it translated, though. They stopped with the video games, and I know I could get a couple of players if it was in english.
>>
File: medarotmake0.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
medarotmake0.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>49471556
Character sheet as well. I'll look into translating it myself in a bit.

>>49472113
As far as I can tell, since I don't have the actual rulebook yet, there's introduction of things like medaforce attacks and the stats for parts are slightly different I think. Shame about the games though, yeah.
>>49471706
Oh shit it is.
>>
>>49473090
>Those tin pets
I was never into model kits and have only ever built one, but it was Similodon and it was awesome. I will play the fuck out of this system if we ever get a translation. Going to pop in my season 1 DVDs this weekend.
>>
>>49473090
The top left is maximum action points like in Nechronica. Unlike Nechronica, it seems there are stats listed. They are:
Speed
Power
Technique
Protect
"Reduce", no idea what it does. Maybe damage reduction?
Pixelated kanji is horrible. Practically impossible to read, but my best guess is "Parts acquisition", which might decide what parts are gathered on a victory. At the very least, it looks more than just a skin change.
>>
Not really RPG related but can anyone recommend a decent English book covering the history and/or practices of Onmyodo? Looking to work it up in GURPS but would rather not have to watch half a dozen series to figure out what should be included (or might lazily stick to Ofuda and Shikigami - oh and kissing pretty boys, Tokyo Babylon 4EVA)
>>
>>49461639
The last I checked, the stuff they made available for free didn't include character creation rules or the different power descriptions except for the ones the sample characters have.

There are scans of the basic and advanced rulebooks and a bunch of the replays, but they were uploaded a couple years ago and I wouldn't be surprised if all the links are dead now.
>>
>>49470230
It's like Silver Rain, except with dice and psychics instead of cards and ghosts.
>>
File: 1406347461217.png (298KB, 383x438px) Image search: [Google]
1406347461217.png
298KB, 383x438px
>>49475578
>The last I checked,

You'd best check again, because character creation is in section 3 of the rulebook they have online. You can download it as one low-res file or split into a bunch of separate parts.
>>
>>49478409
It still doesn't have the individual ability and spell descriptions which makes the character creation rules essentially useless, since you can't actually make a character with them.
>>
>>49470543
Well, this is interesting.
I know nothing about Medabots except for the name, but this might allow me to play something like Nechronica without having to deal with the setting.
>>
>>49480541
Think Pokemon combined with Custom Robo and you're in the ballpark for sure. pdf related is a multiple page version of the original sheet, so that it's not a spread like the original.
>>
Bumping with the best version of Nechronica's translation I had on my hard drive. I'd love to run this sometime soon but haven't brought the idea up with my friends yet.
>>
>>49484001
Where'd you find this? This is much better put together than I have.

Also, does anyone happen to have a link to the Japanese site for Nechronica and, heaven forbid, a scan/pdf of the original Japanese version?
>>
>>49485538
Found it in a Nechronica thread earlier this year

Here's the main site
http://nechronica.com/top.html

Unfortunately I don't have any original japanese documents save for some character sheets and the battle map.
>>
File: roll a d6 sempai.jpg (130KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
roll a d6 sempai.jpg
130KB, 700x700px
>>
>>49487062
That looks comfy as fuck. Do you think players falling asleep is a problem with Japanese TRPG players?
>>
>>49487135
i bet it is.

>i want that!
>>
>>49487135
One day, I may consider buying a kotasu. Until that day, I'll probably settle for rugging up.
>>
>>49487135
Ryuutama does have a rule to deal with exactly that possibility.
>>
>>49487532
What is the rule, pray tell?
>>
>>49488496
As a Ritual Benediction, it's more of an advanced optional rule, but...

Ritual of Sleep

If a player falls asleep in the middle of the session, their PC realizes that they lost their
wallet. Their money decreases by their character level times d6 times 100G. If they
lose more money than they had, for some reason they now have a toll, tax, or debt
that must be paid off.
>>
File: medarot_2p_en.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
medarot_2p_en.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>49482293
>>49480541
And here it is. It took a while to get the more complex sentences translated, and even longer to get someone to edit the thing to be in English, but here's an English sheet for the game. It should be compatible with Nechronica, though "Judgement of Friendship" is a specific thing to the Medabots system I've yet to find. I imagine it has to do with building bonds.
>>
>>49488877
Nice. Thanks.
Small nitpick, on the first page there are multiple instances where the word "medarot" is used instead of "Medabot"
>>
>>49490276
Ah shit, you're right.
Reason is that the Japanese call it "medarot" instead if medabot. In hindsight, it was probably better to use the actual localized name...
>>
>>49488877
Assuming that one has this book, how would one go about scanning it without damaging the book?
>>
>>49492829
Poorly.
The better you want your scan to be, the more you'll have to sacrifice the book's structural integrity.
>>
>>49493342
Damn, guess no scans then.
>>
>>49492793
Did not know that. Also cool to see that the medal has lots of room for powers. This really does look like Nechronica was the perfect system to build this out of.
>>
>>49493383
We'll take poor scans over no scans any day.
>>
File: Metabeeeee.png (328KB, 900x1273px) Image search: [Google]
Metabeeeee.png
328KB, 900x1273px
>>49492829
>>49493342
>>49493383
>>49493421
The good news is that book damaging is not necessarily required. They started distributing through Pixiv BOOTH in pdf form at the beginning of the year.
https://urontoybox.booth.pm/items/185173
>>49493409
Pic related is a pre-made Medabot; the protagonist in the show, Metabee. The medals contain a single medaforce attack that spends medaforce points, but other than that generally contains passive buffs.
>>
>>49493583
That's good news, I can keep my book intact then. Who's gonna buy the pdf though?
>>
>>49494581
I'm calling in a favor from a Japanese friend of a friend. I'm hoping to get my hands on it in a few hours, or otherwise a day or so. Though if they can't get it, it has to be someone with a Japanese card I'm pretty sure.
>>
>>49494671
Is /tg/ about to get shit done again?
>>
Is the JTPRG Discord still functional?
>>
>>49494921
Depends on how much of /tg/ actually does things. I provided and translated the sheet posted earlier (though a friend edited to be English). So most of it is compiling translations and translating in the first place.

>>49494958
There's a JTRPG Discord? I'd like a link to that. Also the Discord servers have been on the fritz as of late, so it's probably functional once more now that they've been fixed (again).
>>
>>49495775
I think you're taking "/tg/ gets shit done" a bit too literally.

It's usually more a case of "some anon on /tg/ gets shit done on their own".
>>
>>49495775
Here you go:
https://discord.gg/UDCsd

Welcome aboard. We always need people with skills and connections.
>>
File: weeaboo cover cyber.jpg (1MB, 1078x1508px) Image search: [Google]
weeaboo cover cyber.jpg
1MB, 1078x1508px
>>
File: MedabotRPG.jpg (4MB, 3120x4160px) Image search: [Google]
MedabotRPG.jpg
4MB, 3120x4160px
>>49494671
Well, seeing as I have the book I sent myself now, should I go ahead with the poor scans?
>>
>>49500028
How'd you get ahold of that? Dang, nice find! Go ahead with the poor scans if you want. Since you're worried about the spine, just disregard however much of the game is relegated to the replay, or other extra things.All we really need is mechanics and stats.
>>
>>49499431

This Tokyo NOVA? I'm curious what the previous editions were like, since I only have the latest version (Axleration).
>>
>>49500076
Aren't we supposed to get the pdf anyway?
>>
>>49502063
Yes, but the PDF is a ways away, likely a few days to a week from now. Scanning will let me start translation early.
>>
Bumping the thread to wonder if any progress in Sword World was made. I know there's a wiki of some of the basic rules, but there seems like there was a lot left.
>>
>read up on Ryuutama

can I get a homebrew Monster Rancher campaign going?
>>
>>49503351
Are you asking if it's possible, if someone has done it, or if anyone is interested?

My answers are: I'm pretty sure that's possible to do - someone's already got a Pokemon adaptation going, so you could take cues from them + I have not heard of a Monster Rancher hack yet + I would be super interested to see one, though.
>>
File: Nechronica.jpg (242KB, 600x848px) Image search: [Google]
Nechronica.jpg
242KB, 600x848px
bump
>>
File: 초인동맹_앞표지-698x1024.jpg (222KB, 698x1024px) Image search: [Google]
초인동맹_앞표지-698x1024.jpg
222KB, 698x1024px
bump
>>
>>49508686
What is this and why does it look so amazing?
>>
>>49509990
>What is this
It's Korean.

>why does it look so amazing?
It's Korean. Great artwork is the only selling point of the vast majority of F2P MMOs they keep churning out.
Thread posts: 178
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.