[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D 5e General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 368
Thread images: 26

File: 16356489456161.png (43KB, 236x364px) Image search: [Google]
16356489456161.png
43KB, 236x364px
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>Volo's Guide to Monster's Preview
http://media.wizards.com/2016/dnd/downloads/VoloPreviews.zip

>UA Revised Ranger
September Unearthed Arcana - The Ranger, Revised:
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/unearthed-arcana-ranger-revised

To the Forever-PCs that want to DM but can't cause reasons, how are you doing? How is that trove of awesome adventure/campaign setting ideas you have prepared but can't run a session with it cause of some reason?
>>
>Forever-PCs
I'm currently DMing, but I am typically a PC. Campaign just got underway, I know where I want to take it, but due to some shit going on in my life I'm finding it hard to focus on writing. Wish someone would run LMoP or something so I can chill and stab some goblins instead of drawing dungeon maps.
>>
>>49412290
>To the Forever-PCs that want to DM but can't cause reasons, how are you doing? How is that trove of awesome adventure/campaign setting ideas you have prepared but can't run a session with it cause of some reason?

I'm doing well, I've usually just wanted to run actual adventures that were printed, but have recently been working on expanding the Innistrad setting so that it has enough info to roleplay in, and I've been working on a sector of space for sci-fi shenanigans.

I've honestly run into the problem that I keep getting autistically in-depth about setting notes that probably won't be used.

For instance I did a lot of research on different calendars, and how to implement them in my game. I made a custom lunisolar calendar (A rough one, at least), that would make sure that every three years there would be a thirteenth month because I felt that would open a lot of plothooks in a setting where the fear of the number 13 was iconic enough to be a card in the latest innistrad set. Silly little things, you know?

But I have a good number of adventures to write up in-setting, and actually have a campaign that spans several of those in mind. I honestly haven't been able to find the time and a time where all my players would be off at the same time. I've tried to get around this with a bunch of plug and play characters for the group to use if they're only around one or two sessions, but its been too great a difference in scheduling to do it at the moment.

I'm somewhat salty about it, I even had a few ideas about them going to other MtG planes and even fighting Phyrexians.
>>
Starting off with some homebrew shit-
Barbarian Primal Path- Witchdoctor (or Voodoo man, or whatever the fuck) a spellcaster barbarian achetype

DC= 8+con+rage damage
"Concentration" is your rage, and is maintained the same way rage is maintained. You cast spells while raged/raging, or cast rituals with the normal costs, plus a blood sacrifice of (1d4Xspell level)+(prof? str?)

EK spell progression, pick from druid cantrips, spells are either transmutation or have the ritual tag.

3rd level features- spellcasting, of course, plus the ability to cast a spell as part of the same bonus action you use to rage. This is to overcome a round where you use your bonus action to rage, action to cast, and leaving asshole DMs to just not attack you that round and make you immediately lose everything. You could also spend a round bonus action raging, action attack, then the next round casting but that would be convoluted and take time out of concentration.

6th level- action to cast, bonus action attack. Encourages casting multiple times while raging.

10th- sacrifice a small animal to immediately give an ally one of your hit die. (debating whether you should roll the hit die, take the damage, ally gets what you rolled+their con+1 from the small animal?)

14th- nothing yet.

The damage taken for rituals/potentially for healing allies is to go with the sacrificial theme I associate with voodoo shit, as well as utilizing the high HP the caster will have compared to other casters.

Thoughts? Would people take this for a 3 level dip to get any casting as a bonus action? What if I specified you could only use spells you got from that barb level while raging, and you could only cast those spells while raging? I think I would have to anyway to make an exception to "no spells while raging" rule.
>>
>Forest Gnome Arcane Trickster 3, Wizard 1

>Cantrips:

>Prestidigitation
>Minor Illusion
>Mage Hand
>Message
>Booming Blade
>Green-Flamed Blade
>Mending

Spells:

>Find Familiar*
>Comprehend Languages
>Tenser Floating Disk
>Alarm
>Mage Armor
>Feather Fall
>Witch Bolt
>Silent Image*
>Charm Person*

And a nifty spell book in which to write scrolls as I find them. Looks good?

>* Arcane Trickster spells, don't require book to prepare
>>
Do you imagine we'll get a D&D in Kaladesh pdf, like we got for Zendikar and Innistrad?
>>
>>49412686
If trends continue, probably.

I hope so. I just wish I had a dm who ran adventures in MTG so I could play cool things.
>>
>>49412577

>Witch Bolt

I do not aprove

>six cantrips and no friends

Your call budy
>>
>>49412554
I'd call the archetype either Shaman or Witch Doctor.

I'm assuming you mean you automatically maintain concentration while raging. Seems strong, but I like it.

The addition of a sacrifice for a ritual is flavorful, but probably unnecessary.

EK spell progression for a gish is good. I'd limit them to the Druid list with no restriction on schools, though.

3rd level feature is strong, since it effectively gives you quicken spell for doing something you'd want to do anyways. I'd make it so you can rage as part of the action for casting a spell. This also prevents a 3-level dip for abuse.

6th is war magic, straight up. EKs get it a level later, but if you can only do it while raging that's a fair tradeoff IMO.

10th is interesting and flavorful. I like it but Bards can affect the whole party with a similar ability. Their extra HD starts low but scales, while yours just grants an additional one of whatever you have. Either one is balanced enough, but your sacrifice should affect the entire party.

14: Give them the Monk's Empty Body 1 or 2 times per short rest. Shamans being able to astrally project is flavorful, and etherealness is potentially useful in a lot of situations.
>>
>>49412736
Edit: For 14, let them become ethereal once per short rest and astrally project as a ritual.
>>
GM here, just wanted peoples opinion on the new ranger rebuild. I've got a player who has been running a beastmaster and with the new Ranger, wants to swap. At first glance it looks fine, only thing I'm concerned about is he is currently using a sailor themed character with a harpoon gun (Heavy crossbow) and a giant-crab companion.

They are level 9 giving it +3 Str and +1 Con, so the crab will have 51hp, AC19, +7 to hit for 1d6+7 damage and DC15 grabs. Doesn't seem too bad to me since the ranger will only be making one singular attack each turn, and at best adding +4 for favoured enemy and a spell effect.
>>
>>49412577
I'm gonna need you to wedge in Misty Step somewhere
>>
>>49412736
Rage for concentration instead of normal concentration is pretty strong, it also means that spells that would normally be able to be concentrated on for longer are limited to one minute, as per raging. There was another drawback that occurred to me earlier, but it escapes me.

I'll look into the druid list, the reason I didn't use it as-is was because I didn't want to make it so directly comparable, but that may not matter so much. I think it also lacks things like haste or enlarge, which were some of the major effects I was imagining the casting having. There may be similar effects in the druid list.

Taking an action to rage+cast seems a more reasonable use of actions, but I'm still worried about them losing their rage due to not taking damage/attacking.

Maybe split the die however you want? I was picturing this happening perhaps as an action during battle multiple times, trade off being the barb gets less healing for himself during short rests. I'll take a look at the monk feature too. Thanks for the feedback!
>>
Looking at Paladin 7 Warlock 13 for a new char. Game probably won't last that long, but am I making a terrible mistake? Ancients/Archfey.
>>
>>49412869
Rather than it being a small animal, which seems like it could be inconvenient a lot of the time, why not just have it be a blood ritual the barbarian does? That fits with the barbarian losing a hit die more anyway. I agree it should apply across the whole party.
>>
>>49412869
You could give a choice of voodoo patrons that provide learned spells. Pick one when you take the class, when you 'rage' you are actually possessed by it.
>>
>>49412764
Consider a wolf companion of the same level with +4 Dex would also have 8d8+8hp, 19AC, +8 to hit for 2d4+8 damage and a DC16 prone, with pack-tactics, a crab should be fine.
>>
>>49412938
That works. Get a list of patrons, like domains or lands, and those spells get added to your spells known while you rage. So you get the druid stuff normally, but when you rage suddenly you're a druid with the War domain or whatever.
>>
>>49412849

Multiclass into spellblade next level. I'll have level 2 spell slots to burn
>>
>>49413013
My bad, wasn't paying enough attention to the levels.
>>
>>49412897
Sounds pretty good. Maybe just the straight d12 then with no other modifiers to split up. Or maybe at higher levels you add your rage damage.
>>49412938
>>49412979
Kinda like this idea, the EK spell progression was kind of a placeholder anyway, to avoid having to come up with an invocation-like list of features to pick from (my initial thought process) but a limited, expanding spell list is a good balance between those.
>>
>>49412709
Friends is overrated, I say. It's good, more useful than prestidigitation, but I would say it competes with all the other choices there.

>>49412577
Why're you multiclassing into wizard exactly? Are you going to get two levels in it for something such as 'portent' or abjuration or something?
A single level seems kind of lackluster. Arcane tricksters still don't really rely on spells for damage.

Why are you choosing 'find familiar' with your arcane trickster when you don't need to prepare the damn thing anyway? Have something you need to have prepared all the time, like feather fall.

Why don't you have shield? I know it's not as great for rogues who get uncanny dodge, but there'll still be a time and a place you'll wish you have it over witch bolt or maybe even mage armour if your DM is the type to hand out magical items.
>>
My playgroup just voted in a houserule.

The Dm can trigger wild magic surges at any time after a tides of chaos feature is used, instead of just after spells.

Any problems up foresee?
>>
>>49413247
none moreso than usual. If the GM is being particularly fickle, they might wild surge while you're sleeping. IDK how relevant that is, though.
>>
>>49412577
>>49413221
>spellblade
Oh, right, that probably answers the 'are you taking two wizard levels for something' thing.
BB/GFB and such.

If you've got good starting stats I would say it's not actually too bad an idea if you level it until you get 'extra attack', though 'song of victory' takes a lot of levels to get to.
>>
>>49413247
That's not a house rule.
That's core rules.
>>
File: Beorning.jpg (1MB, 2163x1273px) Image search: [Google]
Beorning.jpg
1MB, 2163x1273px
Repostan', pic related this time.

Anyone had any experience with Adventures in Middle Earth yet? Hopefully playing a game of it in two days time, and I don't think I can stop myself from making a Beorning Slayer as stereotypical as it is. I would make a Warden actually, but we don't really have anyone tanky or hard-hitting as of yet.
>>
How do you guys keep combat interesting? My players seem to enjoy my stories, but I always feel like my Mob tactics are flawed, or that I underutilize their skills. Do you have specific ways of planning out your combat encounters to keep them both deadly and interesting?
>>
>>49413339

My very first pen and paper RPG was LotR themed, although I do not know if it was Adventures in Middle Earth. It looks really familiar, though.

My experience was that combat was busted and our Wizard just spammed Flame of Arnor. But we had a lot of fun.
>>
>>49412941
DC11 prone. Shove is STR (athletics) based, Wolf uses Dex for attacks.
>>
>>49413414
AiME is a brand spanking new splatbook for 5e, so I highly doubt it. Also

>wizard
>LotR
AiME does the correct thing of not allowing the players to play wizards or have any spells in general.
>>
>>49413454

Oh, fucking awesome.

I have no idea what I played then, it was over five or six years ago, and Wizard was one of the classes a la Gandalf. Most of the spells were what you'd expect from Tolkien wizards but Flame of Arnor was the exception. Huge AoE to all "Agents of the Shadow" that could see it, which was basically everyone.

Outside of that I think he was pretty useless.

We had a Fighter (I think they're Champions?) a Lord, a Wizard, and... something. Another Fighter, probably. It was a good time until the party became unkillable.
>>
>>49413390
Lawful enemies should be more tactical.
They may have commanders who focus on keeping their minions from fleeing from battle, make sure they know who to attack and the like. Of course, the commander correctly identifying squishy mages depends on how smart said commander is.
Lawful enemies might employ tactics such as firing from cover, having shieldwalls to prevent advanace, trying to fight from the top of a hill, those things.
They might use traps, but I think even chaotic and neutral are quite inclined towards traps.

Each environment should play different.
If you're in icy terrain, there may be patches of difficult terrain that if you attempt to move full speed over you may slip on, like with the grease spell.
If you're up a mountain, there may be ledges and such and danger of fall damage.

If you're in a creature's lair, there are all sorts of environmental hazards you can implement.

Some enemies might even try to appear friendly before backstabbing the party or leading them into a trap.

Some encounters might be winnable through non-combat means, or such like. Some encounters might present a tactical challenge, where you're against a really deadly melee enemy and have to keep distance, or keep hidden. That sort of thing.

As long as players have the chance to understand what's going on (i.e. there's not a single tell that the guy leading you to a trap is dubious) and you're imaginative to come up with ideas, it should be doable to make every combat different.
>>
>>49412764
As long as your player isn't multiclassing only a few levels into ranger, it should be fine.

If they're multiclassing ranger, then you should be worried.
>>
>>49412474
You're an awesome GM. FYI. Going that far into detail to make sure there's sometimes a thirteenth month in a year? That's cool as hell.
>>
I'm thinking of playing my first proper D&D game by going to an Encounters group that meets weekly at my FLGS, since I can't get any of my friends to actually commit to a campaign. I figure I should probably have a character rolled up and ready beforehand, yeah?

Anyone have any experiences with organized D&D play? Last time I did organized play was Pathfinder Society, and that was a miserable experience as all anyone cared about was min/maxing their character and only caring about combat and big numbers. Even the DMs tended to gloss over and summarize what would normally be some RP bit. It was a miserable experience and I worry this is going to be the same.
>>
File: 1474171131325.gif (3MB, 420x236px) Image search: [Google]
1474171131325.gif
3MB, 420x236px
>>49413486

Thanks Anon. Will do.
>>
>>49413596
It depends on the store. I've had my best and worst dnd experiences wit AL at different stores
>>
>>49413641
That's what I'm worried about, it's the same store as Pathfinder was. Though I feel like a lot of those people still stick to Pathfinder Society. Guess I'll just show up and see how it goes.
>>
>>49413596
At least with AL, you don't have to deal with the extreme levels of min/maxing that pathfinder brings to the table. But like the other person said, sometimes the table variance can be trash.
>>
File: 1458919468017.png (199KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
1458919468017.png
199KB, 600x450px
so now that grimoire is dead, and 5e has been out for TWO FUCKING YEARS NOW

WHERE THE FUCK ARE MY FUCKING SPELL APPS AND SHIT? goddamnit wotc get on the fucking ball already
>>
File: large.jpg (44KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
large.jpg
44KB, 600x400px
>>49413892
>expecting WotC to be on the ball with technology
>mfw
>>
>>49413448
Well, DC13.
>>
File: crying cheetah.gif (177KB, 360x420px) Image search: [Google]
crying cheetah.gif
177KB, 360x420px
>>49413892
dnd-spells.com is still around, though dndmagic.com similarly died recently so I don't give it much hope. Hardcodex.ru is still around as well. Also there's the spell list exe thing in the Mega, and a ton of iOS and Android apps that have been around for ages. The SRD spells are on 5thsrd.org and 5esrd.com, and built into Roll20 via their compendium feature.
>>
>>49413892
http://googleben.github.io/Spellbook/
>>
>>49414030
Ooh, that's a nice one. Thanks for the link, anon.
>>
>>49413507
I don't expect anyone to, but yeah I can see a lot of folks going 3, maybe 5 levels into ranger then going fighter or something since the companion scales with character level not player level, dipping 3 into ranger gives you a fighting style, some minor utility magic and a 20HD companion with +6 to everything.
>>
File: Character death.png (58KB, 468x240px) Image search: [Google]
Character death.png
58KB, 468x240px
Is it too easy to live in 5e? How do you guys create real tension?
Everytime my players so much as get a scratch they start discussing having a long rest. I've used time limits or races against other forces on occasion, but I don't want to sound like a broken record.
That said, even if they do pass out, stablizing is incredibly easy. Being sent to 0 hitpoints really doesn't have much repercussion.
>>
>>49414154
Most people rule that the class features scale based on the class levels, not on total character level, like warlock invocations and such. So you would get proficiency bonus scaling and ASIs, but not more HD.
>>
>>49414176
>Everytime my players so much as get a scratch they start discussing having a long rest
Start sending shit that goes bump in the night. I don't give a fuck if it's in an inn, your BBEG should know what Invisible Stalkers are.

>Being sent to 0 hitpoints really doesn't have much repercussion.
So change it? Lingering injuries can be a thing.
>>
>>49414176
1. Lingering Injuries

2. You don't regain HP after a long rest. You get to spend hit dice after a long rest, and get back half your total as normal.

The above make for interesting conversations and choices.

3. Random Encounters: I use this, checking every few hours, including when they're asleep. My players know this. Depending on their luck, it might just be some yummy rabbits...or a terrifying creature from beyond the realms that humanity has even dreamed of.
>>
>>49414176
If you want to challenge them, then challenge them. Start bringing out the big heavy-hitters in the MM or homebrew your own. Bring in long-lasting diseases, poisons, and curses. The game being challenging is entirely on you as a DM, not on the rules. That's just shifting blame.
>>
File: rumbler2.jpg (74KB, 500x662px) Image search: [Google]
rumbler2.jpg
74KB, 500x662px
is it dumb to have an enemy npc cast multiple spells on the same turn?
>>
>>49414237
>>49414268

This is all good advice. I especially like the long-rest HP gain idea. I find resource management to be a key role in 5e, so another excuse to use it would be fun.

>>49414277
I wasn't trying to criticise the system, just wondering what I was doing wrong. I want to strike a balance between "stomp everything" and "Oh shit what".
>>
File: 1266291982086.jpg (39KB, 217x208px) Image search: [Google]
1266291982086.jpg
39KB, 217x208px
>>49414176

you don't have to hurt them to interrupt their rest

>fucking storm comes in CRACK-FUCKING-KOOM MOTHER FUCKERS IT'S A GODDAMN DOWNPOUR SCARES THE SHIT OUT OF YOU AND WAKES YOU UP

>THE GOBLINS CAME AND SHOT FIRE ARROWS AT YOUR TENTS, NOW YOUR SHIT'S ON FIRE WHAT DO YOU DO? GO AFTER THEM? FUCK THAT LONG REST THEN. OH GOING BACK TO SLEEP? WHOOPS THEIR BACK, THEY KNOW YOU AIN'T GONNA DO SHIT TO THEM-

>CARAVAN ROLLS IN, MERCHANT POPS OUT WANTS TO HAVE A CHAT. CHATS YOU ALL UP FOR ABOUT 2 HOURS WANTS TO HEAR THE NEWS, STORIES OF OTHER LANDS AND PLACES

>THERES A FUCKIN BEAR IN THE CAMP HE WANTS YOUR FOOD
>>
>>49414293
Oh god those fucking things.
>>
>>49414348
"Do you not trust the feelings of the flesh? Our Biology yearns to join with yours. Come with your flesh, your bone, your teeth, your eye..."
>>
>>49412873

I would lean heavier into Paladin. At level 11 you get Improved Divine Smite which is an excellent ability I would highly suggest grabbing if you intend to smite hard. You'll also get more HP and what not, too.
>>
>>49414293
>>49414348
>>49414370

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oR6WBGKw0MA
>>
>>49414345
Ha, I see what you mean. I'm rather charmed by the idea of the adventurers trying to lure the bear away so they can go back to fucking sleep.
Grumpy adventurers in general trying to go the fuck to sleep and dealing with various shitty minor problems is pretty funny in general. Hope they don't go all murder hobo on some poor merchant though.
>>
>>49414413

if they do then his son or family or guild will hear of it. everything they do has a reaction.
>>
Friendly reminder that Klauth aka Old Snarl is stronger than most demon lords
>>
>>49414412
And kids today think a crappy animatronic bear is scary. They don't understand true fear.
>>
>>49414154
It's not just that. The level 1 feature is a bit much for just one level, really.

As if strength rogue multiclass wasn't bad enough, it'll now be barbarogueanger as they take a single level in ranger to get a good part of assassin's ability, a barbarian skill you'd otherwise miss out on for multiclassing out of barbarian, +2 to damage on every single attack roll against humanoids to add to multi-attack + two-weapon-fighting (if done).. And the other stuff such as natural explorer is just icing on the cake, really.

Advantage on initiative is useful for almost anyone, given that can quite often mean an extra turn in combat.
>>
>>49414293
It's sort of dumb but due to the action economy there is no other way of making a lone encounter powerful enough to fight off an adventuring party. Just don't do it for normal humans and have humans have allies to back them up instead because otherwise why can't the player's character do that? It's fair if maybe a dragon has a special racial ability to cast multiple spells per turn or a lich somehow after 1000 years of study develops the ability but it's not normally fair if an NPC wizard has such an ability and players don't. Of course, maybe the NPC wizard has made a pact with devils or something.

You might wonder why DMs should worry so much about being fair. The reason is so that players can appropriately judge risks. If an NPC somehow has powers beyond what is typical of NPCs or players than players get into fights that they aren't prepared for.
>>
>>49412290
I know this is weird to ask, but does 5e have any boef style books yet? I'm asking for a friend.
>>
>>49414758
boef?
>>
>>49414758
What is "boef"?
>>
>>49414293
Depends.

Monsters often use several abilities in a turn. Say, beholders fire several rays.

If they're casting like a player would, there has to be a damn good reason you're letting them do it.

One NPC I had had an 'advanced' haste spell that allowed them to move at both initiative and initiative -10, with some restrictions. They also had a few minor summons.

A large mecha-type thing may get several actions because there are creatures inside it. Of course, there may be limitations.

Always have an answer to 'why can he do that but I can't?' other than 'Lol, it's an NPC' or 'because he's super-smart!' or something.

Legendary actions exist, which allow a creature to act outside its turn, although only to a limited degree.

Generally, it's dumb unless one of them is a bonus action spell, or they have some sort of multi-attack like 'use your gaze attack and two claw attacks'.
There is no multi-attack like 'you cast two spells', because that just doesn't happen.
>>
>>49414793
Book of Erotic Fantasy
>>
>>49414293
if you consider it something akin to a legendary action, then no. they might not be able to do it all the time, and they might not be able to cast every spell
but like most things with legendary actions, there arnt going to be alot of them in a fight, and they might be the ONLY thing fought
>>
File: Crahb.jpg (18KB, 236x273px) Image search: [Google]
Crahb.jpg
18KB, 236x273px
>>49414793
Boefa deez nuts!
>>
>>49414850
But then gnomes would be overpowered, due to their low anal circumference rolls.
They'd die of anal bleeding all the time.
>>
>>49414872
Eer, underpowered, sorry.
>>
Warlock invocation: Requires Pact of the blade, Hex spell. When you hit a target with your pact weapon, you can use a bonus action to cast Hex on that target without using a spell slot.

Yes, no, maybe?
>>
Being a lvl2 Dwarf Fighter, with

Using Protection and going into Battle Master, should I focus on raising stats, or picking up a few feats like Shield Master, or Sentinal first?
>>
>>49415136
Don't take Sentinel, since when an ally gets attacked you can't shield-guard them AND take an attack, you'll be stuck choosing. While choices are good, whenever you do one the other is a "wasted feat/style.".

I like Shield-master because shoving people prone is fantastic after your first hit, giving the rest advantage, so I'd grab that. Because you're getting bonus to hit and bonus damage from BattleMaster, increasing your stats is less important but it depends what feats you want.

The first concern I did notice, why is your Dex 12? You're prime to use heavy armour, so that should be an 8 or a 10. If you're planning on medium (Which there is no reason to do so when you have access to heavy.) then it should be 14.
>>
>>49415136
>14 STR

for what purpose
>>
>>49415123
it gives them ever so slightly more damage one round, but eats through their spells obviously, and depending on their level, becomes completely useless. that and it could
>>
>>49415136
It depends on if you want +1 to hit and damage or if you want more things to do with your reaction.

Personally, with your stats, I'd rather have the +1. Seems like you're using a shield, so I assume your AC is in the 17-19 range, which is typically more than sufficient. I'd say if you're about to get maneuvers, take the riposte maneuver so you get a reaction attack against enemies that miss you, you get to add a d8 to your damage which is better than the reactions or bonus actions from the feats would give you, iirc.

Short version, +2 to your attack ability and get used to your maneuvers before you give yourself more options vying for your reactions and bonus actions.
>>
>>49415220
That's a good point, I'll reconsider Sentinel, I'm just not exactly sure what I should consider taking. Alert? Resilient (Wisdom)? I'm just not sure. Good point on the dex though, I could move it to Strength

>>49415225
I decided against being a Mountain Dwarf cause I wanted the bonus to wisdom. I'm planning on not making just a meat stick, but a bit of a thinker. I'll probably bump Strength though now.
>>
>>49415275
In the last 5th ed general, someone suggested taking Duelling instead of Protection, and then to pick up Sentinel. Talking about it with my group, it seems that I've become the "tank" and just based on how my characters personality has developed, I feel it would make sense for my character to have an ability offered by say Protection, or Sentinel but at the same time, I wouldn't want to hamstring myself too badly.
>>
>>49415243
>eats through their spells
Please re-read.

And while it's true the damage never scales, it's still helpful for Bladelocks.
>>
>>49415277
>wants to be a thinker
I, too, sometimes get caught up in the character more than optimizing. My first character I ever made was a half-elf ranger, which races' bonus stats do not work well with ranger but I liked the half-elf fluff. My second character, a fighter, I "wasted" an ASI on 2 points in wis to get a better modifier on animal handling, to go with the character background. Level 9 (?) And still has 18 str. Sometimes I wish I had 20, but then my animal handling helped me get an owlbear mount.
>>
>>49415343
Yeah, I mean 12 Wis isn't exactly much to write home about, but I also took Insight, and based on the group discussion, he's become this old Quartermaster Dwarf guy that the rest of the party turns to as a tie breaker to solve disputes or what to do next. I totally want to play the shit out of this character.
>>
>>49415370
>>49415277
>>49415225

I too find D&D a lot more fun when I fit roleplaying into my rollplaying.
>>
>>49415317
Does your group take a lot of short rests? If that's the case, go ahead and take the feats, and let your maneuvers make up for your to-hit like someone else said. Precision attack let's you add your die to the hit roll, which is not bad, plus riposte like I said, because I don't think you're getting hit often and you can maximize on that. But, I think you only start with five dice added as long as you remember you have them you'll go through them quick.
>>
>>49415123
I want to say it's bad, but I think it might actually be balanced enough.
The fact it only applies after your attack kinda devalues it a bit, and leaves EBing still way better.

Alone, it might encourage people to melee once ever and then eldritch blast the rest of the way, but at least that's a bit more gish-ey.

It'd be nice if you didn't have to have three invocations total including that one to make meleeing even slightly viable when EB only 'requires' one, and the other two are just added utility.
>>
>>49415390
>>49415123
So, about that - I don't think it should cast hex before the attack, but perhaps something like 'you can cast it as a free action', and then it still costs a bonus action to transfer it. That's only a tiny buff to it, though.
>>
>>49415381
This is a new group, We've yet to play. My AC is 17 at the moment, I'm...Not too sure how I feel about dropping down to 16 AC to bump my Strength to 16. I wouldn't really feel "tank" like if I got slapped around every time someone took a swing at me, and I'm not sure how long it would take me to be able to afford, say Full Plate or something.

In either case. If I changed around my stats, should I aim for Shield Master, or Sentinel first?
>>
>Decide to do something different with an Wood Elf barbarian
>We rolled for stats and end up with:
> 18 ST, 14 DEX, 12 CON, 10 INT, 14 WIS, 12 CHA
>Pick up a Glaive because glass cannon.
>Party has to face rusted/nerfed versions of Shield Guardians
>The AC is too dam high
>Decided to team up with Dual weilding Gnome Fighter and throw him onto the heads of the Guardians to go for the joints while I grapple them.
>We hold off one Guardian while the Spell casters and other fighter keep the other one busy
>Finish off first guardian and move on to the second one
>Roll 20 natural twenties to throw the Gnome and grapple the Guardian to quickly end the encounter

I feel like going the grappling route now but the average CON is making me hesitant. Or should I stick with the Polearming?
>>
>>49415329
>im slightly retarded
well its much better then, good for bladelocks (essentially the same as a cleric having to "waste" his first bonus action to buff his weapon/cast a spell, then use his bonus actions on some other extra attack)
i could see it being op with multiclassing though, or it just making other classes nearly need a 3 level lock dip for free hex. i would limit it to times per rest, either 1-2 per short, or cha for long.
>>
>>49415437
>calls character a glass cannon
>worried about "average" con
fortune favors the bold
>>
>>49414463
Yup. Been reading over the Dragons of the North articles too and damn, these things be crazy
>>
>>49415402
I think it'd be better if it cost a bonus action but applied to the first attack. Which needs rewording:

When you use your action to make an attack with your pact weapon, you can use a bonus action to cast Hex on the same target as a 1st level spell without using a spell slot.

So it costs your bonus but also takes effect before your (potential) damage. You'll still do less damage than eldritch blast, but you get rewarded for at least starting in melee by getting free Hex spells - the only thing that scales is the duration, and lets face it an 8-hour hex isn't really useful (you can't really concentrate on it during a short rest because it has to be on a specific creature and doesn't transfer until you kill that creature).

Making it an invocation is kinda bad, but if I use this I'm rolling Thirsting Blade into pact of the blade for free.
>>
>went to the store to get some 1-inch washers to make some poor-man miniatures
>got home with a bunch of 5/8 washers because I don't know shit about inches

I guess they will look bulkier if I add somethins else to the base. Maybe styrofoam...
>>
>>49415442
It requires Pact of the Blade, so it already requires minimum 3 levels of Warlock.
>>
>>49415437
>20 natural twenties
That should read 2
>>
>>49415378
but being strong as dwarf fighter is roleplaying
>>
>>49415442
I wouldn't call it overpowered.

3 levels to get hex on all your attacks is pretty disasterous for a class that'd benefit the most from it - a fighter, who gets multiattack (3). They need level 20 to get multiattack (3) in the first place.

At level 2 you already get 2 hexes every short rest, and each hex can last you through an entire encounter.

But now I think about it, it might be a bit too good on an EK that focuses on EBing with war magic and using the bonus action attack to apply hex- Wait a minute.
>>49415458
Actually, it should still cost a bonus action probably.

However, I don't really like the idea of it automatically applying before the attack.
You might as well just say 'If you spend a bonus action on your turn, you deal 1d6 damage on all attacks this turn. You cannot concentrate on spells this turn.'
Which is kind of silly, but a much simpler version of someone spam-casting hex.

It'd be nice to see more utility like you get out of EB's invocations - pushing enemies and extra range. Maybe some invocations that allow the warlock to tank a bit more in reward for getting into melee combat. I don't know how, though.
>>
File: wGU0nL7.png (217KB, 950x950px) Image search: [Google]
wGU0nL7.png
217KB, 950x950px
Would it be too overpowered to have a dragonborn with radiant damage resistance/breath weapon?
>>
>>49415501
Radiant is a not awfully useful resistance, the DMG says so itself with regards to a theoretical aasimar race.
Radiant is not awfully resisted, so it's a good breath type.

Overall, it's less powerful, so a DM should only ever reject it 'because it doesn't make sense in my setting'.
>>
>>49415501
The damage still scales like ass and few monsters deal radiant damage so no, probably not.
>>
>>49415370
>>49415277
>>49415317
I personally prefer Protection, as it actually protects your party by defending them, being forced to attack with disadvantage is a bigger "Risk" for the scarier foes over taking an extra 1d8+4 damage from a soggy dwarf.

Resilient (Wis) is a fantastic feat in my opinion, Wisdom saves are very common and a genuine risk to fighters since you don't want to get suggested or dominated. If you moved your stats to give you a 13 in Wisdom, taking the feat to score a 14, with proficiency and training in Insight and some other Wis skills you could easily play the "Wise and cautious father-figure of the party."

Shield-master is great too, since you can attack and shove people prone as a bonus, then deal the rest of your attacks at advantage. This also slows the foe due to them being prone and having to stand, as well as opens them up to other advantage-attacks from your allies.

The downside to Protection style is that it only triggers if you are next to an ally, rather than being next to a foe attacked, however this does mean you can defend allies against ranged attacks. If you were going this style I would suggest you consider using a hand-axe or spear, the drop in damage will be worth the utility of using thrown weapons to make ranged attacks while you need to stay back covering the wounded sorcerer.
>>
>>49415495
>allow the warlock to tank a bit more

Alter Lifedrinker: You deal extra necrotic damage equal to your Charisma modifier. When you deal this damage, you gain an equal number of temporary hit points. These temporary HP overlap with other temporary HP gained from this or any other source.

A maximum of 5 temp HP per round, if you're in melee hitting shit. Shouldn't make you invincible, mostly because unless you invest in medium armor/shields your maximum AC is 18, with 20 dex and mage armor. It does kinda conflict with Armor of Agathys though - but that's more for 'oh shit here's the boss'.
>>
>>49415136
15 (9)
10 (2)
14 (7)
10 (2)
13 (5)
10 (2)

Buy these stats. Racials equal
>>
>>49415378
I've also been really debating whether or not to use a Short Sword because that's the only weapon other then a spear that would be used by dwarves in tunnel fighting. I'm...Not tooooo keen on the whole Hammer/Axe shtick. But that D6 damage though...
>>
>>49415531
Rapiers and tridents might also see use. Not too dwarfy though.
>>
>>49415525
I think I messed up on my counting, the stats I posted included racials. I like your suggestion though. AC 16 kind of scares me though.
>>
>>49415531
Use a pike.
>>
>>49415515
Forgot a duration. Temp HP from this should last until your next turn - forcing you to stay in melee and keep attacking. Not sure if it should be beginning or end of your next turn though - leaning toward end.
>>
>>49415495
fighter was indeed the only person i could think of that would benefit to be "overpowered", everything else was just something like the level of making hunters mark useless
and while being at level 2, you would naturally get 2 hexes per short rest, you now get 2 hexes AND two other spells.

that being said, it would be only op, if blade wasnt unattractive, so really its just a roundabout bonus
>>
>>49415546
Chainmail and shield is 18 AC.

Or are you using two handed? What weapon are you using?
>>
>>49415555
But my main focus is sword and board.
>>
File: 1437727551139.png (371KB, 600x860px) Image search: [Google]
1437727551139.png
371KB, 600x860px
>>49415513
>>49415512
I'm the DM in this case, a player mentioned wanting to play a dragonborn and that his favourite elements are usually ice and light, and the latter got me wondering about having radiant damage dragonborn.
Honestly only situation I can think the radiant damage would be useful is agaisnt undead at low levels. Now what about necrotic damage resist/breath weapon?
>>
>>49415531
>>49415543
>>49415555
>trident
PPPPPPPPPPPPPPFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF
>>
>>49415563
Chain and Shield is 15. I have Scale Male and Shield for 16.
>>
>>49415433
AC should be at least 18, Chain-mail and a shield. This bumps up to 20 when you've got fullplate. I'd suggest using your level 3 proficiency to take some kind of Blacksmithing, if only to get fullplate for 750 gold instead of 1500, if you're even cheekier and possibly make a small side-quest out of it to get the materials, you could get an Adamantine or Mithral fullplate made for 1000gp of materials DM permissive.

I'd wager Protection is more "Party tank" than Sentinel, so I'd suggest grabbing Shield-master first, since it's the most "Fun" option of giving you an extra action to do each turn, shoving bitches to the ground. Then at level 6, Resilient-Wisdom. Later levels can pump your stats.
>>
>>49415583
Uhh no chainmail is 16 AC and a shield adds 2 for a total of 18 AC
>>
>>49415583
Fighters start with the AC16 Chainmail, not scalemail, also make sure you're not mixing up the chain-shirt with the chain-mail.
>>
>>49415589
Am I just having a stroke? I don't have a dex bonus. And the chart says Scale Mail 14+ Dex mod, and Shield is a flat +2. With my current build I should have 17 AC. If I changed things, I'd drop to a 16. What am I missing?

I was ah...Planning on taking Jewellery crafting because his family are renown gem cutters (took Noble background).
>>
>>49415608
Sweet fuck I thought it was Scale Mail, and was looking at Chain SHIRT my god I should just go to bed...
>>
>>49415613
I suggest re-reading the Fighter starting equipment
>>
>>49415619
Well perfect, so then I'm going to have:

Go Protection, and take Shield Master for my first ASI, awesome. And I'll probably use a Short sword since there's a Barbarian in the group. I'll focus on keeping him alive.
>>
>>49415613
Jewllery is fine, like I said the only reason I suggest blacksmithing is because Fullplate armour kept it's 3.5e value of 1,500gp a little bit cheaper than a +1 magical item, but in this edition a +1 sword is only worth 100-500gp. Some people could be looking at a +2 Greatsword before seeing a suit of fullplate, yet it's the armour you should be aiming to obtain as soon as possible.
>>
>>49415652
Before we called it for the night we all rolled on the Trinket chart, and I got a "Hilt from a broken sword"

How can I make it a neat item or give the GM the ability to work with it some how?
>>
>>49415652
Why not a war pick instead of the short sword, or is that too axe similar?
>>
>>49415652
IF you're planning on taking Resilient Wis, go 14 STR and 15 WIS.

Shortsword and Shield is a totally awesome look thematically, total roman-gladius style rule of cool. However I'd still push merit to having something you can throw just so you're not total gimp with positioning and still being able to attack.
>>
>>49415569
just reverse >>49415512 and you have your answer.
>>
File: cats.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
cats.pdf
1B, 486x500px
/5eg/, remember that guy that was spamming his waifu worship catgirls all over the thread?

I made it more playable, mostly out of personal interest. Is it balanced? I think it's a little on the weak side, personally.
>>49415671
Make it related to rivals, friends, or family somehow. Maybe it's extremely distinct, and is from the sword of a friend who went MIA in war. Maybe it's someone you battled constantly, and you managed to break his sword and kicked your wounded foe into a raging, rapid river, expecting to never see him again. IDK. Make something up.
>>
>>49415676
I figure miners would be more prone, or even train themselves in using picks and axes as weapons, but an actual dwarf fighter would probably be trained in compact shield walls to fight in cramped tunnels. I figure anything that's short and is mostly used for stabbing. Even being out on the surface, it's probably a habit that's hard to break.
>>
>>49415515
Don't call it temporary HP. Abjuration wizards get a ward, for example.

Remove lifedrinker. Remove thirsting blade.

Allow pact of the blade to store two weapons, not just one. Taking these out takes a object interaction only.

Warlocks get 'Extra Simple Attack' at level 5, where they may make a second weapon attack providing they are using a simple weapon.
Pact of the blade users may use this effect on any pact weapon, too. A familiar could make one attack of the extra attack.

This is removing the unnecessary invocation tax and making the pact itself actually sensible.

Now, instead, pact of the blade should option up invocation options, kind of like what you suggested.

For example, you could have:
"Requires level 12. If you hit a creature with a melee attack using your pact weapon, you reduce the next instance of damage you take before the end of your next turn by your charisma modifier. Alternatively, if you hit a creature with a ranged attack using your pact weapon, you may choose to pull the creature 10ft towards you."

And one other more utility-focused invocation.

>>49415558
EK would benefit the most as they can use cantrips that scale regardless of spell levels, and thus don't care about the 'extra attack' part.
Otherwise, it's not really overpowered for fighters, I'd say.They'd rather pick up hex as a magic initiate.
However, an EK not relying on extra attacks still wants that bonus action for other things, so it's not exactly grand for an EK either.
>>
>>49415569
Necrotic is pretty fair.

The resistance type is more important than the breath weapon type, so it's better than radiant.

However, while necrotic is certainly more common than radiant, it's probably not as common as fire, I think. Or, it might be roughly about as common as fire, so that's just dandy.

As long as you're not giving them resistance to physical damage or psychic damage (in fear of bear barbarians with no resistances at all) you'll be fine.
>>
DMs and/or players of Warlocks: Tell me about your patrons. Their names, their mannerisms, how they contact their servants, etc.

I have two worth mentioning. An Archfey called the Twilight Queen who contacts potential servants through dreams. She targets those who have dreams that are difficult to achieve - less flight and more MLK dreams - and offers them power to pursue them, for the act of dreaming is to her what prayers are to the Gods. One of her major tenets is the protection of children, for who else dreams as vividly or pursues them as fervently?

The other is less fleshed out, a Great Old One named Hadar, the Darkness Between the Stars (yes, named after the spells). He mostly doesn't know about his servants - half-mad mortals make pacts with him and steal an infinitesimal part of his power, and are largely beneath his notice. One bit of fluff I came up with that I enjoyed was that he doesn't lash out at people who become worthy of his notice - the dark is fair and all-embracing, after all. Should one of his servants become worthy of meeting him, they feel a sense of warmth, as the love of a proud father.

My patrons are admittedly fluffier than most.
>>
>>49415136
>>49415525
If you want to metagame, don't listen to these chumps and go 10 strength and 15 dexterity, and go rapier + shield.

Heck, fuck it, you're a dwarf. You don't even NEED 15 strength to wear plate armour effectively.
>>
>>49415671
It's the hilt from a broken magical sword you were given by your clan, it's a personal goal of yours to find another blacksmith skilled enough to repair it.

Alternatively a nice twist would be, it's a broken magical sword often crafted by dwarves, tradition is swords of this style are not actually used by the dwarves, but are given as gifts to other warriors whom they fight along side. They are considered a token of mutual respect and trust for your brothers in arms and it's more common to see a human wielding a weapon like this than a dwarf. Those who recognise the weapon will know that person is a friend of dwarves, or at least, some dwarves.

Mostly because it's easier to convince the DM to agree to "Hey, can this trinket be a cool magical thing" when it's not for you own benefit. Additionally it gives your character a bit of a backstory and a bond to make with another martial in the group.
>>
>>49415726
...But why tho?

>>49415735
I really like that second one! I'm totally going to pitch that idea to the GM.
>>
>>49415726
I mean, I thought going strength for heavy armour was underpowered before, but I forgot about dwarfs.

For a hill dwarf, there's almost no incentive to go strength at all.
They get:
>better grapples and athletics
>better strength saves (less common)
>better at pushing objects (not generally so useful)
>wider range of melee weapons to use, of which a one-handed 1d8 weapon (such as a rapier, which you can use with dex) is what you'll be using all the time anyway
Dexterity gives:
>a wider range of armour. Because you're a dexterity dwarf, you can choose between light, medium and heavy armour at your own convenience. Not to mention, better unarmoured defence.
>dex saves, which are more important.
>better initiative (this is kind of a big deal sometimes)
>much better access to ranged weapons if you so need any
>better stealth (important)
>better sleight of hand (not so important)
>better acrobatics (not so important, but lets you escape grapples)
>usually, better crafting with your dwarf tools
>generally not being a clumsy oaf

Most people would suffer a -1 AC penalty for going dexterity instead of strength as they then can't effectively use plate armour and thus they tend to wear medium or light armour. However, being a dwarf, you don't give a shit. As such, you do not suffer from that effective -1 AC penalty for going dex instead of strength.
>>
>>49415811
a hill dwarf gets +1 Wis, a mountain dwarf gets +2 Str, but I guess I see your point. I'll probably stick with my build though.
>>
>>49415778
Mechanically, Dexterity is far better than Strength, especially if you're using one-handed weapons.

Str applies to..
To hit and damage with melee weapons, the uncommon Strength saving throws that at worst leave you restrained or prone, the Athletics skill.
Dex applies to..
To hit and damage with melee finesse weapons, To hit and damage with ranged weapons, Intiative, the incredibly common dex saving throws that at worst risk massive damage or total entrapment, armour class, several skills many of which are more relevant and more common than athletics.

It's basically a case of "Dex does everything Strength does, and more", with the only advantage of strength is using reach weapon/polearms, and athletics checks to shove and grapple. Which shove and grapples can be resisted by... Dex skills.
>>
>>49415843
Oh I'd agree stick with your heavy armour STR build, since you're going shield-master the better shoves/athletics is actually highly relevant.
>>
>>49415862
I'm going to have to pay attention and be aware for stuff like that. What do I do after Shield Master tho?
>>
>>49415888
I'd say you've got two solid choices.

Take 14 Strength and 15 Wisdom. Second ASI get Resilient Wisdom for +1 Wis and saving throw. Then work towards increasing your strength score to 20.

Or, take 15 Strength and 14 Wisom. Second ASI take Heavy-armour Master for +1 Str and slight damage mitigation. Then work towards increasing your strength score to 20.
>>
>ran a game for normalfags today IRL
>crash on a desert planet, find themselves at an alien slave market
>two of them end up pretending to be breeding slaves
>the half-orc party member takes the CHA reins while the Drow on a horse's player is busy trying to figure out GrubHub
This was nice, it's fun actually getting to run a game and seeing how off-track and weird it can get.
>>
>>49415914
If I drop my Str to 14 I wont be able to wear the Plate Mail until I can raise my Str. Can you explain that bit you were talking about with Dwarves and Armour?
>>
>>49415939
Dwarves ignore the strength requirement on heavy armour, because dwarves are manly as fuck. Additionally, the phrase "requirement" is poorly used in the book and it's very commonly misunderstood.

The STR15 requirement is to wear the armour without being slowed down by it. If you're proficient in heavy armour, you can wear plate even if you don't have enough strength, but your speed is reduced by 10ft because the armour is a little too heavy to move in. If your strength is above 15, or you are a dwarf, the heavy weight armour is nothing to worry about and your speed is unaffected.
>>
>>49415972
Awesome, I think I'll do this. I like being wise. It's also kind of funny that I'm attempting to max out my "Old dwarf who sits on the sidelines and gives advice". No one's going to get a lie past me, that's for sure.

Thanks for all the help guys, but I should probably hit the sack. Take care.
>>
>>49416003
If you're grabbing the 16 in Wis, do make sure you've got some Wisdom skills to back it up, Perception and Insight are the two most useful. It's nice having a high stat for a good save but when it's not class-relevant you need to make the most out of the investment.
>>
>>49415843
Well, if you're going shield master, as the other anon said it's not too terrible to go strength.

However, don't forget you can't use shield master's 'negate a dex save' ability if you don't have a high enough dex save to make the save in the first place.

You do have good dex fighter conditions going for you (not champion, mountain dwarf, one-handed weapons) and having the tactical flexibility to fight at range and have a turn earlier in initiative is valuable, but I'll try to put the ups and downs in better format -

Going 20 str 10 dex over 20 dex 10 str:
-5 to initiative
+5 to grapple and shove (Strong synergy with shield master)
-5 to unarmoured AC
-5 to stealth checks, no option for stealthier armour if called for
+5 to two handed weapons, trident throwing, net throwing
-5 to bows and crossbows
+5 for saves that focus on not letting you get knocked about and knocked prone
-5 for saves that focus on avoiding fireballs of death and such (anti-synergy with shield master)
+0 to escape grapples
+5 to push things
-5 for stealing, doing flips and stupid elfly things like that.
-5 to crafting, picklocking and the like
+5 to manliness
-5 to not being a clumsy oaf
+ability to multiclass into barbarian, paladin
-ability to multiclass potential into rogue, monk, ranger

So you can think about it. I'd say a craftsdwarf might be more dex and a more typically fightey dwarf would be up str though. It kind of does make more sense to go strength unless you're a crafter.
>>
>>49415723
>Hadar, the Darkness Between the Stars
Hadar was a named being actually, from 4e. He had some insane shit kinda like your stuff; the extinguished cinder of a dead star trapped within a black nebula, etc.

Kind of a generic checklist of horrible otherworldly God-things really.
>>
>>49416032
With Noble he gets History and Persuasion, Fighter will want to grab Athletics to shove and that leaves only room for Insight.

He could go Guild Artisan without too much change to the charactersince renowned Smiths/Jewellers families in Dwarf settlements can be pretty close to nobility. He gets Insight and Pursuasion, allowing him to take Athletics and Perception as fighter skills. This would also amusingly give him training in three crafting/tool skills, one for his background, one for being a dwarf, and one for being a battlemaster. Renowned artisan indeed.

Either way, G'night senpai, have fun with your character ideas.
>>
>>49414729
Finally a way for monks to MC and not suck.

+2 Against humanoids is fucking huge on them with their number of attacks.
>>
>>49416176
It specifically states 'weapon attacks' for the +", so I guess it depends how your DM then rules your unarmed strikes.
It'd still be a fine multiclass, though.
>>
>>49415437
Raise your Con and dip into rogue for expertise (athletics). Then raise your Str to 20 and get the trappers feat.
>>
So, this thing I just read says that dragonborn actually hate dragons and try to kill them. Is this true?
>>
>>49416272
Depends on the setting. In FR, Dragonborn come from Abeir where a few really powerful and extremely evil Dragons rule and subjugate/eat everyone and treat Dragonborn as shit. It's a bit of an irony thing I think, one race looking and having vaguely similar powers hating another for eons due to their status.
>>
>>49416272
Depends largely on the setting in question, but the "default" dragonborn as 4e placed them in every damn setting regardless of the sense or lack thereof behind it basically hate dragons despite being otherwise fairly tolerant of most species due to their history of basically being a slave race for dragons.
They tend to go out of the way to kill or drive away dragons of all kinds and don't really care about the Bahamut vs Tiamat thing since they just LOOK like dragons but have no actual stake in the Metallic/Chromatic thing.

But the short version is yes; dragonborn are not overfond of dragons in general.
>>
>>49416282, >>49416284
Hmm, I guess making my dragonborn a paladin of Bahamut doesn't make too much sense then?
>>
>>49416189
Weapon attack doesn't mean it physically has to have a sword or other martial weapon. It literally means any attack that isn't entirely magical in nature.

The only types of attacks in 5e are Weapon attacks and Spell attacks, so you're either hitting with something magical or something physical, the "Weapon" can be your longsword, a barstool, your vampire fangs and claws, your punches and kicks,a massive boulder, it's all under the same tag of "Weapon attack."
>>
>>49416289
Not so much, no.
In FR dragonborn are actually fairly skeptical of deities in general too (their homeworld didn't have any), though some of the nativized Faerunian dragonborn find a god to devote themselves to and do so with the great faith and dedication they do everything with.

Their skeptical view of religion likely isn't helped by their neighboring nations being directly ruled by incarnated deities their theocracies who don't particularly want the dragonborn as neighbors and are at war with them.
>>
>>49416272
Depends on the setting, in some Dragonborn are the favoured sons of dragons, blessed by their blood. In others they are the not-so-runty kobolds who matter about as much as a kobold.

Bahamut Dragonborn paladin/cleric is fine, maybe your guy understands that Dragons are dicks, but Bahamut is meant to be the "Dragons, don't be dicks, be regal as fuck." so he might worship that aspect. Additionally I'm pretty sure in some settings you get the very rare platinum dragon-born, who have silvery platinum scales and use Radiant-breath.
>>
>>49416291
Well, you can make a melee weapon attack with your unarmed strike.
It still isn't a weapon, though. So 'your punches and kicks' are not attacks using a weapon and thus will not benefit from things such as 'duelling' fighting style, but they are melee weapon attacks.

But you're talking exclusively about weapon attacks there, so you probably already know all this.
But for me, even to this day I can never seem to fully grasp the concept because it's almost as if a wizard made up these fucking terms.

The exact wording is 'You gain a
+2 bonus to damage rolls with weapon attacks
against creatures of the chosen type."
I assume 'weapon attacks' allows 'melee weapon attacks', so I guess it should work after all.

A monk2/ranger1 with 18 dex to start with can do three punches in a single turn for 3d4+18 damage against favoured enemy.
Brutal.
>>
Is it a dick move in a horror themed game just to narrate hits and damage if they're succeesful rather than telling the players the results of the roles?
>>
How do I make an optimised Valour Bard - level 8, MC allowed, feats allowed
>>
>>49416401
Maybe, it can be important for characters with reactions like the shield spell or parry.
>>
>>49416401

I'm having trouble understanding your question. Do you mean that you usually tell your players a bunch of numbers when they take combat actions?
>>
Anyone in New Zealand knows where to buy the Player's Handbook? Gonna travel there in a few days and planning to purchase it there. Is it hard to find or something? I am just wondering if there are usual tabeltop haunts in the country. Gonna be in Auckland, btw.

I just recall my friend taking a trip to the Philippines and every FLGS was dominated by Magic the Gathering, board games and other TCGs and Warhammer 40k. He finally found a place there that sells DnD shit but it took him a while and it was one shop. Just surmising I might end up habing the same problem in NZ.
>>
>>49416694
have u tried google
>>
>>49416694
NZ is not a complete shithole like the Phillipines. It's actually a developed country. Just hit up any FLGS.
Where are you flying to it from?
>>
>>49416719

Yeah I got some results so I will check em out. Thing is I am there not too long so I just want to buy it right away (that and I want to see how the FLGS are there) so I might as well ask here to gain more info.

>>49416726

Singapore. Not too long there either so I haven't checked the FLGS there. Just there on business and now at NZ for yet another trip.

Anyway, I am assuming you are a native? Know a FLGS around Auckland that I can check out? If not disregard my post.
>>
What are you supposed to do when you double up on proficiencies?
>>
>>49416947
What do you mean? Doubling your proficiency in a skill? Normally one would put it in the one they would get the most use from it. Take rogues for example: You put it in Stealth and then another skill or Thieves Tools, depending on what you have been using or think you could use.
>>
>>49417063
No like, you get a proficiency in your Class, then double up when you grab a Background.
>>
>>49417063
>>49417076
Actually that's the worst example since you have a choice of proficiencies in your class, more like Race and Background.

I'm just creating a character for Adventures in Middle Earth, and he gets proficiency in Intimidation from both Culture and Background.
>>
>>49417076
Oh. Normally I pick the Background first just to avoid that. If you do find a double up, just change the skill you chose from your Class. Easy.
>>
So my players are level 4. They have like 100 gold each ( we started at 4 with new characters)

They've just helped the city guard fight off rebels to the city leader and managed to slay the rebel leader. The leader of the city is explicitely an incredibly wealthy characrer who would want to get the PC's on his side for his own ends.

Is 500 GP each a reasonable reward ? Too much, too little, just right?

I don't want him to throw magic items at them as they are meant to be rare. I do want him to poke them towards ousting the rest of the rebels in their hidden base. He will probably also grant them free inn stay and such if they become friendly.
>>
>>49417094
Sorry, see >>49417088
I get the same proficiency and I don't have a choice. I mean sure I could switch background, but the background I've got fits exactly with the backstory I wanted.

GM ruled to just take another proficiency (like with doubling up on Aptitudes in Dark Heresy), but I was just wondering if there was an official ruling.
>>
>>49417088
Oh, that new Middle Earth splat? I have no clue how it works really but I know you don't double up ever except via a class ability so if you get it from two sources and they don't let you pick from other skills, you only get it once.
>>
>>49417110
That is the ruling. If you get two of the same proficiency, you can replace the second instance with literally any proficiency.
>>
>>49417868
Ohh awesome, just the way he worded it sounded a bit like he was just making a call rather than referencing the core rulebook.
>>
>>49415690
10/10 just for that last pic honestly. They aren't very strong though, no.
>>
>>49415723
I can tell you didn't play 4e.
>>
>>49417960
Thank you for reading!
Any other thoughts on the Felau?
>>
>>49417990
They are basically just wood elves? IDK, I think the subrace abilities aren't too useful. I'd maybe give the claw-y ones advantage on climb checks too, and I don't know for the city ones - advantage on survival in urban areas?

I feel they're mostly wood elves but faster, so you play one if you want to play a faster wood elf. The bonus on saves against being knocked around is probably used more often but when used, less impactful than the bonus vs. charms.

I'd maybe pull back to 35ft and give them a bonus on jumping. Lots of situational bonuses here, I guess. And they should be able to talk to cats.
>>
File: catstgchanges.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
catstgchanges.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>49418059
I originally had them able to talk to cats, but the ability seemed strange and out of place.

Something like this? They seem to have a lot of advantage being thrown around.
>>
Banishment or Resilient Sphere?
>>
>Delayed blast fireball can be picked up and thrown back
You can stop concentrating at any time in combat right? For instance, when someone goes to pick up a fireball and tries to throw it back
>>
If a player was playing as an animated suit of armor, should they ave normal sight, or should they have blindsight out to 60 ft like the Animated Armor in the MM?
>>
>>49418402
If you are fine with them being able to see everything that is invisible and they are fine with and remember during combat that they are BLIND beyond that, I don't see why 60ft blindsight would be an issue
>>
>>49418144
I like that better but yeah, it does feel like a lot of advantage. Much of it is very situational though.
>>
>>49418402

I have a cohort animated armor that has ethereal sight....
>>
Hi everyone got a quick question. Is D&D 5e solo/gmless friendly? Like is there a lot of resources out there with a bunch of solo adventures and the like? Trying to decide if I want to dive into something as massive as this or just stick to adventure card games.
>>
>>49418059

>giving free advantage

Anon, you're removing the incentive to role play, to think outside the box to garantee they'll try to interact with the world in order to do something good, better.

It's already bad enough when the rules do it.

Just give them added proficiency bonus.
>>
So I picked up a Sword of Vengeance.
>In addition, while the sword is on your person, you must succeed on a DC 15 Wisdom saving throw
whenever you take damage in combat. On a failed save you must attack the creature that damaged you until you drop to 0 hit points or it does, or until you can't reach the creature to make a melee attack against it.

What happens if I get damaged, and while I'm in autistic rage mode another enemy damages me?
Do the attackers go on a stack? in a queue? do I just have to attack the new enemy and if it dies the effect is over?
How would you rule it?
>>
>>49418640
Herein lies the flaw with the advantage system.

>If you give advantage as you rightly say you remove any further incentive to interact with the world.

>If you give conditional modifiers instead as you suggest you remove the entire point of advantage/disadvantage which is to simplify the amount of conditional modifiers in the game.
>>
>>49413390
Late reply i know but:

My games are run in roll20 so i tend to find a lot of "generic" battlemaps for different encounters (the guy who does Quick Encounters series is a godsend and his stuff is cheap). Terrain features are key to making encounters fun and with roll20 i can do a lot of planning ahead of time.

From there i focus on specifics: are there any traps, are the enemies distracted, is the encounter too hard and if so can a smart player end the encounter early. The latter is important imo, as cliche as it is dropping a hanging light fixture on the enemies is a lot cooler and more memorable and setting up for those ideas to happen in turn makes the players believe they came up with it adding to that player agency.

The other thing is to use terrain, enemies are going to setup where they have an advantage, hell in my game a single cliff side made a simple bandit encounter nearly kill half the party. You dont need over the top crazy monsters to make encounters interesting just dont have them fighting on a flat terrain and have enemies use their brain and not charge blindly.
>>
>>49416189
Unarmed strikes aren't "melee weapons" but you make "melee weapon attacks" with them. D&D 5e treats "weapon attack" is a subset of d20 attack rolls, and "melee weapon attack" is a subset of "weapon attack."
>>
>>49417076
The background rules actually say what to do in that case on page 125 under the Proficiencies paragraph.
>>
>>49418773

which is why advantages are meant to be conditional

Although now that I think about it, plenty of creatures have straight up climb speeds.

Check one of them out or the thief rogue second story work
>>
I don't want to go bear barbarian because everyone goes bear every single time someone plays one. Wolf losing some of it's potency because we use flanking. Should I go frenzy or a different totem?
>>
>>49418930
>I don't want to go bear barbarian
Are you a fag?
>>
>>49418638
No.
>>
>>49418952
Yes
>>
>>49418758
Roll the save for every enemy that hits you. On a fail, that enemy is added to the list. So long as the list contains one enemy you can reach and isn't dead, you're at full tard meltdown.
>>
>>49418638

The rules are simple enough that you could adapt it to GM-Player or GMless play, but I don't know of any modules that support it. I was considering writing some 1v1 modules myself, mainly as a demo to new players, but I'm not sure what the demand is. Would you buy a 1v1 module if it were published?
>>
>>49418930
Go frenzy, not because it's good, but because it makes for much better roleplaying. Deciding whether you're going to go all-out but regret it in the morning, being able to super-rage when your character would really, actually get mad, is much more interesting than just liking bears because it gives you better stats.

The bear totem barbarians I've seen have no passion. When they say they're raging, they say it in a flat monotone. When they say they're attacking recklessly, they say it in the most cold, calculated way possible. Also, never once have they displayed any particular affinity for bears. If you're going to pick an animal totem, at least do better than that.
>>
>>49418930
You know the PHB also has Eagle and the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide has Elk and Tiger, right?
>>
>>49419028
I'd totally buy one. Really glad to hear the rules allow me to work with this and I can probably just edit some of the modules already to alter some of the fights to fit my character more without making my PC OP.
>>
>>49418402
Go Elk and have a 55 foot land speed. That's pretty nice.
>>
So if you wanted to make a gish-type class in 5e, would your preference be eldritch knight fighter, blade warlock, or some multiclass combination?
>>
>>49419213
>Armored Spellslinger
EK
>Loads of blasts with a weapon as a back up
Bladelock
>Wizard who happens to know how to use a sword
Spell Singer

>Someone who can replicate a PF Magus
Homebrew
>>
>>49419213
Valor bard
>>
File: Flammie_2.jpg (1MB, 1047x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Flammie_2.jpg
1MB, 1047x1200px
>>49415501
I don't see why not, I'm playing a dragonborn with a thunder damage resistance/breath weapon.
He's basically a flammie, just needs a way to get a flying speed.
>>
>>49419213

I'm having absurd ammounts of fun with my Arcane Trickster Multiclassing

AT 3, Spell Singer 2

>Mage Armor + War Song
>Booming Blade + Sneak Attack
>Familiar + Misty Step

Pretty good combos and I have fourteen spells and six cantrips available to use at all time at level 5 ( granted 10 of them are like, rituals)
>>
>>49413221
>Why don't you have shield?

Arcane Tricksters, even those with a splash of wizard in'em have a serious problem with spell slots.

Witch Bolt seemed like a good way to stretch one out in battles in which sneak attack BB isn't much use, and get the most bang out of my buck. Shield does do pretty good, but with mage armor and war song, I get a 19 armor class as it is, 20 and growing when I start leveling back to rogue and use my Dex and Inteligence ASI's

Do I really need an armor class of 24~25?

I could have up to four spells prepared, (five next level) but only 3 of my spells aren't rituals, so it's really irrelevant which one I get from AT
>>
>>49419497
>Do I really need an armor class of 24~25?
When you do need it, you'll be really glad you have Shield. Witch Bolt sucks and you may as well use cantrips if you're in a situation where Witch Bolt is ideal.
>>
Hey y'all! I'm looking for some advice. My players have been framed for a murder by an important noble. They're at their base of operations inside the city, but they want to go outside of the city to talk with people who can help them.

What's a good way to do "you are wanted men?" I've already planned an encounter with some bounty hunters for when they leave the house and plan to tell them that they see wanted posters around town.

How should I handle them leaving the city gates? Walking around town? Is it just constant stealth and deception checks?
>>
>>49419623

Ok, I can an extra spell for each ritual I have every level anyway, so it's not like I can't easily have both anyway.

But consider this: You're fighting a barbarian

Witch Bolt + Cunning Action: Hide

You can just find a tight little corner and chill while you run out the clock
>>
Hey guys about the "Ring of Shooting Stars", what means the "attunement outdoors at night", I do know what means attunement, but outdoors at night? What it means?
>>
>>49419497
Classes with limited spell slots are always better going for out of combat utility, rather than in combat utility. And survivability is better in combat utility than mediocre damage.
>>
So im not sure if im doing somthing wrong but the math for the revised BM rangers damage seems really powerful, not even including how under CRed the wolf is (which is closer to 1/2 not 1/4 by their own rules).

Am i misiing somthing or am i right to just ignore this trash as i do all playtest material?
>>
>>49419766

That you have to attune it

Outdoors

At night
>>
>>49419792
Well it makes sense now.
>>
>>49419761
I guess if the Barbarian is 4 intelligence retard, sure. That's a rarer situation than "this mother fucker actually beat my 20 AC and 5 more would make him miss."
>>
>>49419408

>Misty Step

You can't know Misty Step. You have level two spell slots, but you can't know any level 2 spells.
>>
>>49419497

Witch Bolt is a terrible, terrible spell. Don't use Witch Bolt.

In fact, you should almost never rely on a spell for damage. I think throwing out a fireball into a group of enemies you're hidden from might be okay, but you will honestly do more damage by hitting them with sneak attack.
>>
>>49419761
What's the rest of your party doing that makes that such a good idea? Taking a nap?
>>
>>49419778
Ignoring the first official 5e ranger worth playing seems silly to me anon.
>>
>>49419945
What makes this thing not broken? A wolf pet gets massive damage scaling from prof to damage, trip, and pack tactics. It seems crazy good compared to the other paths and if people only like it here because mubchkining then i dont see why id use it over the HR ive made to the original.
>>
>>49419992
>What makes this thing not broken?
Other classes.
>>
>>49419778
Try doing the math at levels other than 5 for comparison to other classes. Factor in the pet will not have access to typical damage boosters like GWM and SS like most PCs would. Look at overall performance instead of just DPR, as DPR isn't the main factor in winning encounters.
>>
>>49419998
Idc about other classes so much as having every ranger show up as BM because its to good an option. Id like to know what hunter has to close the massive DPR gap i am seeing.
>>
>>49419059

Sweet, I'll get on it then. Any suggestion on what class to start with?
>>
>>49420023
>Hunter
Assuming both use Hunter's mark, the Hunter gets an extra d6 of damage and then gains one of: an easy reaction attack, 1d8 against an injured target (that he injured with his first attack most likely) or an extra attack on a different target. Factor in potential for Sharpshooter.

>Deep Stalker
More damage from Hunter's Mark per turn, an extra attack on the first round
>>
>>49420009
Dpr is just the easiest to crunch which again i tried to clairify in my other post: do the other paths stand up well to BM in play or is it a barbarian situation where one path is pretty much always taken.
>>
>>49420063
Deep Stalker has a lot of extra utility and Underdark Scout is crazy-good in situations when creatures would normally rely on darkvision. They can literally just move out of a creature's darkvision range and gain advantage on attacks against the creature. Their extra spells are really useful too.
>>
Question: is there a real-world analogue to mythril and adamantium? I figured for mythril it would be titanium, but I can't think of one for adamantium.
>>
>>49412290
I DMed once and really enjoyed it and so did my PCs but then we started college and i just cant get everyone together...
FeelsBadMan
>>
>>49418930
Depends on how many encounters/rests you get. I'm in a game with few encounters, so I just Frenzy every fight with zero consequence.
>>
>>49416210
Trapper's Feat?
>>
>>49419213
Valor Bard has full spell progression, and Extra Attack.
>>
>>49420086
>>49420050
I guess i can kind of see it, the pets survivability is also still pretty shitty (i am assuming its 4.5 per level for a d8 like all monsters).

The major offender imo is the thing scales with overall level not ranger, i dont think thats RAI though.
>>
>>49416189
Unarmed strikes are not "weapons" but are treated as "melee weapon attacks" so they do count.

>This was done intentionally so monks now get a good boost with a one level dip. Thus they also fixed monks without touching the class at all.

It was unintended but hey it's actually a great fix.
>>
>>49420063
It's more likely that each conclave will suit different styles based on what the player is trying to do.

An archer is better off being a Hunter or a Deep Stalker. An archer will always be more accurate than an animal companion, and archery has support like Sharpshooter that favors Extra Attack, and Extra Attack favors Hunter's Mark.

Beast Conclave doesn't ever get more than 1 attack, so it actually favors dual wielding to gain a use from its bonus action over Hunter's Mark, and stuff like GWM and Sharpshooter don't scale up its DPR nearly as well.

>>49420157
If you follow PHB errata's precedent, when a class feature refers to level it only refers to levels of the class granting the feature, i.e. warlock invocations.
>>
>>49420133
*grapler

Autocorrect is fucking with me.
>>
>>49419755
So your players are fugitives?
>>
>>49420191
Unless explicitly stated as scaling with class levels such as with warlock invocations, it DOES scale with character level instead of class level.
>>
>Camp of Dragonborn has a Dragon in captivity that their leader wants to try and tame
>Level 2 Player walks into its pen and attempts to pet the dragon
>Promptly gets rekt by frost breath from a level 15 dragon

>Sand worms assaulting a town, bursting out of the ground and devouring whoever is there
>Party orders as many civilians as possible onto the rooftops, and takes positions on some rooftops themselves
>Level 3 Player jumps off the building he was on and takes a bunch of damage from falling
>Gets eaten by the pack of 6 worms that the party was fighting

These are 2 different players, and the first one was somehow consistent with their character.
Even so, what do you do about players who are just completely fucking stupid?
>>
>have asshole "OLD SCHOOL" DM that only ever runs 5e and has only ever run 5e
>heh heh heh, anons, you all have to roll 3d6 down the line...AFTER CHOOSING YOUR CLASS, HAW HAW HAW
>wow, okay, faggot.
>pick fighter, because if I flub strength i may have good dex
>roll
>18
>18
>18
>dm stops me
>THOSE DICE ARE LOADED, USE MINE
>roll again
>17
>18
>16
>DM stops me again
>SOMETHINGS GOING ON HERE. USE MY SHITTY BLUE DICE
>the blue dice came with the 5e starter set. they're shit, the first time he used them to fight us they consistently rolled 1's despite passing the saltwater test
>take the d6
>6
>6
>6
>OH MY FUCKING GOD, ANON, WHAT THE FUCK
>Dm is getting visibly mad
>tell him I'm sorry, this is just really really unlikely to happen
>FINE ANON, BUT IM CANCELLING YOUR OTHER ROLLS. YOU HAVE TO ROLL NOW. EVERYONE AGREE?
>str roll 3(fuuuug)
>HAHHAHAHAHAHAHA ANON, THIS FIGHTER IS GONNA FUCKING SUCK
> dex 18
> con 18
>DM is getting flustered, clenching his pen so hard his knuckles are white and he's outright pissed
>12 int
>10 wiz
>17 charisma
>pick half elf
>dex fighter with 19 dex, 19 con, 19 charisma
>weak as a kitten, literally half my saving throws are worthless
>DM is literally so fucking pissed about it that he's attempted to kill it over and over again
>THE GOBLINS SWARM ANON'S CHARACTER
>okay, im down
>OKAY, THEY STAB YOUR UNCONCIOUS FORM
>mage player: i cast sleep on them
>Mage player: i rolled max on 3/5 dice
>DM looks at mage player like he wants to fucking smash her teeth out with a pipe wrench
>f-f-fine
>cleric heals me
>Dm tells him the spell doesnt work, because i angered his god as part of my backstory
>roll 11 on my three saving throws

I was stressed about this kind of jiggerypokery at first, but honestly, this is some of the most fun I've ever had in my life. Level 7 now and all we ever fight are mages. none of the magical weapons want me to hold them. lmao.
>>
>>49420237
What official ruling or rules precedent are you basing that off of?
>>
>>49420250
Let them fail comically and learn from it.
>>
>>49420258
Id say this sounds fake but i remember starting DMing with a "me vs players" mindset.

Still he sounds like an unbelievable retard and giving him a shit time is somthing im 100% on board with.
>>
>>49420258
I was just DMing for a guy that bought his own dice just then at the store and got some sick-ass rolls, then let the others use them and the same happened. I joked about them being loaded, but I hope he didn't take it too seriously.
>>
>>49420258
So your DM's salty that you played his game (3d6 down the line after picking your class) and a combination of luck being on your side and karma fucking him over is keeping you alive?

Get a new DM, dude sounds pretty toxic if he's getting this butthurt about a pleyer using his own rolling system getting good stats.
>>
Rolled 4, 5, 3, 2, 2, 1, 1, 3, 1, 5, 2, 5, 5, 1, 5, 3, 2, 5 = 55 (18d6)

>>49420258
If this guy is real, I question as to who pissed in his cheerios.

The dice will fall as they'll fall.
>>
>>49420268
Errata and PHB about warlock invocations.

Don't attempt to home rule it.
Unless it explicitly states "class level" it's treated as scaling with character level which is why we get dem nice cantrips for example instead of limiting them to "caster class levels".

The bonus rangers now get is huge but in no way unbalanced.
You are just a gorgonard who got pissy that players with Dex/Wis based builds got a new toy to play with while ignoring the cancer that are charisma based classes.
>>
>>49420094
Mithril is aluminum.
>>
>>49420352
>4, 5, 3, 12str
>2, 2, 1, 5dex
>1, 3, 1, 5con
>5, 2, 5, 12int
>5, 1, 5, 11wis
>3, 2, 5 10cha

Course this is a pretty shitty roll, I'd let the poor sap at least reroll Con, because at 5 a stiff breeze will knock him over.

Wizard maybe?
>>
>>49420258
This is why I use the buying system. I actually start them with a few less points, meaning they'll have to have a low stat or two, but I think giving them control of their stats is way better than letting them get fucked by rng before the game has even started.
>>
>>49420258
I can't really believe it, but still
>not picking Druid and getting 100 HP a day at 2nd level with 3 in all stats
>people that use rolled stats, but get mad at rolled stats

The stats should be random, but not in the way I don't want them to be random. :^)
>>
Rolled 4, 5, 2, 3, 1, 3, 6, 3, 1, 2, 5, 2, 5, 6, 4, 1, 5, 4 = 62 (18d6)

>>49420258
Let us roll in honnor of THAT DM.
Rollan for a Monk/Ranger.
>>
>>49420428
>Don't even meet the class requirements
Onion Druid with dumped Str/Cha it is.
>>
>>49420392
How is not wanting everyone to dip 3 ranger for a pet being a gronard? It seems pretty fucking silly and abusable if the thing becomes a pet fighter everyone can get.
>>
>>49420094
No, in both cases.
Mythril is lightweight and sturdy but is basically forged from a form of silver alloyed with steel and is naturally occurring, and while titanium is hard it is actually rather brittle while mythril has no such issue.
Adamantium is like fictional space-metal.
>>
>>49420392
>The bonus rangers now get is huge but in no way unbalanced.
>You are just a gorgonard who got pissy that players with Dex/Wis based builds got a new toy to play with while ignoring the cancer that are charisma based classes.

Calm down mate. I like the new ranger and allow every UA at my table. You'd probably love the stuff I allow, but I'm just talking about sane rulings for the general population. There's about 0 chance that the revised ranger makes it to publication without some rules on how it multiclasses.

>>49420482
It would be weaker on most classes than gaining higher level features. The Beast Conclave features add survivability to the beast that it doesn't get baseline.

>ignoring the cancer that are charisma based classes
In a long-running game that's a trap option anyway because hitting 5th, 6th, 7th, etc. level spells earlier is way more powerful and decisive than Eldritch Blast.
>>
File: 1394303516695.jpg (44KB, 500x427px) Image search: [Google]
1394303516695.jpg
44KB, 500x427px
Is there a decent character builder for 5E anywhere?
>>
>>49420482
Why would I dip three to add 1d8+proficiency to my damage, when I can just take a feat or two instead and not fuck up my spell progression?
>>
Im going to DM the modules this season, but my requirement was that I would have Certificates to sign and give out. Anyone know if the Storm Kings Thunder modules have pdf certs? Supposedly pdf certs started in last seasons Strad.
>>
>>49420598
>certs.

What is this madness?
>>
>>49420575
2d4+2+(ASI)+(prof)+(2 vs favored enemy) at advantage with a wolf. Then two more levels to do that twice.
>picking a caster as an example
>>
>>49420598
What even are you talking about?
>>
>>49420645
Which levels are you taking that? A fighter won't want to delay his extra attack for 2d6+3/4 with potential for +10 from GWM and/or a d8 for a maneuver.

If he knows he would make it to level 11, it's not a great trade then either.
>>
Rolled 4, 1, 5, 4, 2, 1, 2, 5, 5, 4, 3, 5, 2, 3, 1, 3, 2, 6 = 58 (18d6)

Fighter that multiclasses into Warlock
>>
>>49420625
>>49420658
Have no fear. I have experienced the autism that is SANCTIONED PLAY.
There are little cardboard cutouts that have shit like "Sending Stone", or "Target Shield", or whatever on them.

Because if you take your character to another table you could be lying about having that particular magic item, so the DM has to pass out a certificate of 100% real authenticity.
>>
>>49420348
>toxic
meh
>>49420352
lmao, its somewhat a funny story, I guess.
I don't usually talk about this shit, since it shakes the /pol/ tree, but my wife and I are kind of into cuckholding. Not so much with other men, but my wife really likes fucking girls. I'm super into femdom so watching her get it on with some cutie with im tied to a chair is pretty fucking awesome, not gonna lie.

Anyway, we met this cute girl at our FLGS, and we enjoyed a few evenings together, but obviously my wife and I have a strict no attachments policy, so you know. We just sort of let it off there.

This game starts up, we both answer the ad, and we see each other at the DM's house, and she's like "OH ANON!" big hug, kiss on the cheek, DM is looking at us funny, asks us how we know one another, we just kind of chuckle and change the subject. DM is glaring at us and Im pretty sure he wanted to fuck the girl pretty hard because thats when he changed his mind about character creation and spends most of his time being really pissed at me and her. He's nice to the cleric, but the fighter and the mage? Wow, he's not kind to us.

It's kind of funny

Also, I won't post in this thread again because the /pol/tards are gonna swarm in and start crying
>>
>>49420598
They don't exist anymore. Stopped giving out cert pdfs because you don't need them anymore to trade.
>>
>>49420712
Is this like PFS or some shit? Havent we moved past this offline MMO shit?
>>
>>49420707
>STR10 DEX7 CON12 INT12 WIS6 CHA11
You know I'd feel better about this if Commoners were statted with 8s across the board.
>>
>>49420715
This is a safe space, anon, don't worry, tell us more.
>>
>>49420772
Everything is worthy of mockery on an anonymous board.
>>
Reading through Hamsterish Hoard of Monsters. Shit is pretty dope man. Question is have anyone tried to bring some of the more interesting monsters to 5e or do I have to do it on my own ?
>>
>>49420772
There really isn't much else to tell. I don't want to discuss my sex life any more than I already did, and the DM reeing stories are basically the same thing.
>>
>>49415123

I'm tempted to say too strong since it takes away the hexlock's biggest weakness, namely the lack of warlock spell slots to re-cast hex.

That said, I'm not sure it would *actually* be that strong in play. Single-class Bladelock struggles with damage. so 1d6 damage is unlikely to be terribly unbalancing and hex's attribute-check penalty really only matters in combat for grappling.

My it-makes-sense-in-this-setting grappling warlock would love it, but he's about the only one who would think of it as a must-have. outside of similar edge-case interactions with things like Mobility, though, I'd imagine it wouldn't be a huge factor.
>>
I love talking about character ideas

right now I'm playing a mercenary who's a very get shit done type of guy and doesn't like wasting time talking about things.

next campaign I'm gonna play a warlock who thinks that he's a cleric of the sun god (in a previous campaign there was a necromancer who killed Chantae and replaced her with a farmer girl named Sally). He's gonna hear voices from sally an I'm getting my DM to write up something about how to adequately worship sally.
>>
>>49421005
>don't want to discuss my sex life any more
Pussy.
>>
Okay I'm autistic and really enjoy the look of the official character sheets for 5e. Is there ANY websites that let you store/edit/access sheets online that's not the bare minimal visually? I've seen some google drive ones that just have the necessary info which is nice but I like all the lil fluff. I'm a new player so this still wows me and it's my first character so I understand why you would want the bare minimal for all your characters.
>>
>>49421264
You could download the character sheet pdf and just edit and save that. It's form-fillable and everything.
>>
>>49420509
Sorry.
Got a bit aggressive for no reason.
But ranger features aren't broken in any way in this double revised UA.
People tend to forget how MAD player characters get who have to have at least a 13 in both Dex and Wis so multiclassing ranger will only really work with fighters, clerics, monks, druids and rogues.
Conclave of beasts really works with their high levelled features but otherwise provides a pet option that isn't just a familiar so I'd leave it as is.
The other ranger archetypes barely changed from vanilla.

Only favoured enemy really changed but in a good way.
It was too specific and situational previously which made no sense for a base class feature.
Right now it hit the right spot with it's large general FE groups and is just good.
Multiclassing doesn't break it since the most you get out of it is +6 damage per turn where you have to have either 5 monk levels or 11 fighter levels.
Monks barely count as overpowered with their low DPR and fighters really dislike loosing that 4th attack.
>>
File: 1474052235591.jpg (216KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
1474052235591.jpg
216KB, 1024x768px
GUYS WHY DID EVERYONE SAY THAT DMING SUCKS

DMING IS THE MOST FUN I'VE HAD WITH THIS GAME
>>
>>49421274
Yea I'll do that for now, thanks!
>>
>>49421298
No one said that, its just a ton of work and faggot players who treat it like an offline MMO and dont pay attention to the story kill modivation.

Its a thankless job but really satisfying, you just need a group of players who care.
>>
>>49421298
You sound like a first-time heroin user.
>>
File: 57e02195495893da.png (389KB, 631x811px) Image search: [Google]
57e02195495893da.png
389KB, 631x811px
how do i into dungeon

my players want a quote "hard dungeon with lots of traps and fights"

for reference its 6 PCs, Dragonborn Paladin, Dragonborn Fighter, Tiefling Bard, Elf Warlock, Goliath Rogue, Goblin Cleric, all lvl 3
they are literally murder hobos so far they havn't gotten to civilization yet, the dungeon is a "gateway" to a lost world like the beginning of a "heroes journey"

so far there is a Beholder bad guy sending his Nothic minions and Mephits into the human Temple to steal soul crystals and set up Eyeball wards

whenever I try to make a map it ends up being just a big room with a huge fight that takes 4 hours.
>>
>>49420037
not the one you were talking to but fighter, cleric and rogue are solid classes to solo
>>
I haven't followed the game's updates since a few months. They made the Ranger better?
>>
File: 1465407113901.png (174KB, 599x203px) Image search: [Google]
1465407113901.png
174KB, 599x203px
Hey gents. Playing 5e for the first time this week, thought I'd roll up a barbarian. Rolled great stats, should have 18 str and 16 AC unarmored with my dex and con scores. Going to go totem warrior, probably wolf for the support abilities.

I decided to use the variant rules for human and give up some stats for a feat, Gourmand looked like it was a good party support feat and a little extra con on top. With outlander foraging I should always have enough ingredients to take us to Flavortown.

Is this an okay build? I've seen some conflicting info on barbarians viability. The party's pretty new so everything I can do to keep us alive and still get to hit stuff would be my aim.
>>
>>49421544
Stats don't matter in DnD.
Just be funny and clever and make other players laugh, be interested in the story and plot, that's all that matters.
>>
>>49421517
If they're not doing a bunch of fights, then make a fight hard. If they're doing a bunch of fights, make each one about medium difficulty. Wear them down over time. Use the rules in the DMG for creating random dungeon rooms, make sure every room has a reason to be there.
>>
>>49421544
>I've seen some conflicting info on barbarians viability
Anything less than "they can soak damage like no other and deal great damage" is wrong, fampai.
>>
Best class to play as in Storm King's Thunder?
>>
>>49421396
i would say it's more that i plan a whole bunch of things that are really really cool and my retarded PCs never find them, i dont even make them convoluted or anything
>>
>>49421517

Who built the dungeons?

You can just make smaller fights by saying "beholder sent X minions to room Y, PCs find them there when they enter."
>>
>>49421517
Go room by room and think about the specifics of each room and what there is that could be useful or important, in combat or out.

Traps should be used sparringly and sensibly: a commonly traveled path wont have a trap in it because that makes no sense. Traps are generally used to add extra protection to areas that arent commonly accessed, treasure chambers in the like. The trick with traps is actually to make them obvious, if you just thriw them everywhere your game will slow to a crawl because you establish no sensible rules for how they are used.

Ignore noise if you can, bringing enemies from other rooms leads to drawn out kill boxes that ruin the rest of the dungeon. However if you want an extra layer of challenge yoy could use gongs or drums as alarms which now makes it a challenge in the combat.

Dont make a dungeon big for the sake of big, 3 good rooms is better than 10 bad ones. I usually try to make my dungeons only last a session tops.
>>
>>49421607
>great damage
That's a bit misleading. They aren't going to do damage like a fighter or paladin. They get extra attack but no other class features that add controllable damage. Reckless Attack is great with GWM but that's GWM, not a class feature.
>>
>>49421613
Tough one to say without more context, what i tend to do is give inspiration for behavior i want to see (doing cool things in combat with skills, etc) and also try to design my encounters so playing smart is better than just using numbers (dropping a chandiler, noticing patterns, etc)
>>
>>49421612
New Ranger with FE Giants.
>>
>>49421617
Traps can make sense based on the inhabitants though. A floating beholder doesn't give a shit about floor panel traps. You should ask yourself if the trap inconveniences the inhabitant/creator of the dungeon when you place it.
>>
>>49420744

It's astronomically worse than PFS, and that's saying something.

The biggest source of retardation is that all the current admins all have some form of intelligence-draining PTSD over the Living Greyhawk campaign and have issued a organization-wide Fatwa on any rules judgments whatsoever, claiming that everything but rewards is DM's prerogative while doing everything they can to suppress any actual guidance on rewards.

The big "the end is nigh, the end is nigh" is that they keep shitting on the WotC hardback books in favor of flogging their own no-longer-free modules. The company has already pulled a *lot* of their support from it and has started letting other groups like Baldman print materials for it, so there's some doubt how much longer the current version is going to survive.

Frankly, at this point I say burn it to the ground and just let the company hand out Chapter 1 of the book for free on their website. It's the only part of it that actually benefits WotC as a company and the D&D player base at all, so we might as well skip straight to it and be done with it.
>>
>>49421544
Gourmand is not a good feat but it is flavorful. The thing about variant human is that the feat is your racial abilities so you gotta pick careful. Mobile or Alert would be better choice but in the end pick what would be fun for you.
Totem is the best Barb. Wolf is awesome if you have at least two more martials otherwise Bear is better. Its about do you want to keep you party alive by helping them kill things fast or by being the biggest target and taking all the hits.
>>
>>49421570
This. For this question and pretty much 99% of "What should I play" or "Is X viable?" questions.

If more people followed this advice, the community would flourish and great games would be had by all.
>>
File: 1472968363894.jpg (58KB, 720x405px) Image search: [Google]
1472968363894.jpg
58KB, 720x405px
>enter a stance as a bonus action
>it lasts for a short duration, probably a few rounds, maybe only until your next turn
>learn special attacks that do more than just damage, and allow you to change stances
>example: use an attack that lets you switch from +dmg stance to +def stance

Would this be fun? I'm considering making a monk archetype based on these mechanics.
>>
>>49421679
>no other class features that add controllable damage
Rage adds a flat amount to each hit and their expanded crit damage works well with reckless attack. Even with sword and board, their damage is nothing to snub at.
>>
>>49421298

Welcome to the National Association for the Happily Perma-DMs. We're a quite bunch, but we're out there.
>>
>>49421707
Yes thats more or less what i mean. The other thing is a good chunk of traps would need planning in advance to be built into the structure.

Basically you should always question why a trap exists and give tells in the description that it is there otherwise you train the playrrs to check for traps every step and that is just tedious.
>>
>>49420645
Why would I pick anything other than a caster? If you aren't playing a caster, you aren't min maxing, and your argument is moot.
>>
File: pencil-and-paper.jpg (32KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
pencil-and-paper.jpg
32KB, 640x427px
>>49420534
Pic related is the besr
>>
From the newest Sage Advice:

Can the familiar you conjure with the find familiar spell use the Help action to grant you advantage on your attack roll? A familiar can’t attack, but it can take non-attack actions, including Help. As the text of the Help action indicates (PH, 192), the action doesn’t require you to be able to attack; you simply need to be able to provide some sort of distraction.
>>
>>49421524

They put out a second UA revising the ranger. I wouldn't say they made it "better" but they made it more general/accessible: Favored Enemy now happens in two stages and gives a small combat bonus, the benefits of "Favored Terrain" are no longer limited to one terrain, and there's a new Beast Master build that's a lot more "classic" feeling and not as centered around gimmick builds. They also put in a more Drizz't-like 3rd Archetype but given how well Out of the Abyss has done it's not all *that* unwelcome.

Solid enough, I'd allow it, but it's not exactly a dramatic rebuild of the class.
>>
>>49421785
> If you aren't playing a caster, you aren't min maxing

Min-maxing what, exactly? Did you forget DPR isn't the only thing that can be strived for?
>>
I don't know how to handle sex in my hands. So far I've been treating it like a joke. How do I tastefully pretend to have sex with my best friends?
>>
>>49421810
DPR is best min-maxed on a martial anyway. Caster min-maxing isn't achieved mathematically, it's about having a tool for every situation and being able to avoid the influence of bad luck from dice rolls.
>>
>>49421735
So swordsage?
It's the sole reason why I think monks should be a fighter archetype and the current archetypes should be a sort of "spell list" for them.
>>
>>49421735
Look at the Book of 9 Swords classes (specifically Swordsage) for ideas/inspiration on what the stances are and what the person can do upon entering them.

People have tried porting over the Bo9S classes to 5e with varying degrees of success, but it could give you some ideas of how to make this archetype for the Monk.
>>
>>49421832
Have you ever had sex before?
>>
>>49419766
Oh, Outdoors at Night is a pub in Waterdeep. You can't attune it anywhere by there. Ironically, the pub is somewhere in Undermountain, third or fourth level, according to rumor; the challenge is getting there, but it's very prestigious if you do.

If you're able to get in, and gain membership, the owner, Faren, will show you the secret back entrance so you don't have to fight your way through Undermountain to get there.
>>
>>49421832
Fade to black and keep D&D focused on adventures to kill orcs and dragons and other pg-13 stuff. Sex doesnt need to be more than somthing implied that happened off screen
>>
>>49421803
>They also put in a more Drizz't-like 3rd Archetype but given how well Out of the Abyss has done it's not all *that* unwelcome.
Darkstalker first appeared in the Light, Dark, Underdark! UA.
>>
>>49421735
Just remember the principle to follow when making a monk sub class:

Lvl 3= Base low/no cost feature+maybe a cantrip

Lvl 6= Either bonus action shenanigans, damage burst spells with decent cost, flavourfull usefully spell.

Lvl 11= Flavourfull extremely usefully stuff that cost a m w ammount if no resources (Sun souls Sun burst =free mini fireball, Long Deaths cheap revives etc.)

Lvl 18= Capstone feature used to deal high burst damage at reasonable resource cost (arround 3-5 Ki points per use)
>>
File: 1427168972567.jpg (473KB, 1283x1760px) Image search: [Google]
1427168972567.jpg
473KB, 1283x1760px
how many of you guys play online? it's too hard to get people together irl regularly. i've always thought playing online seemed like a mediocre solution but my desire to quest has gotten high enough that i'm interested again.
>>
>>49421958

You are correct. Wasn't sure if the questioner had seen it or not, though.
>>
>>49421810
If you think one dimensionally and only consider for (lol dumb martials), the martials are unquestionably the best. However in real games of dnd that aren't exclusively combat, there is no reason to play a martial beyond personal taste.
>>
>>49421517
Heh. They want hard fights. Traps.

*gigglesmaniacally*

Okay. Caveat, you'll have to do some converting. It's a little time consuming, but not that hard.

However, I highly suggest you take a look at the Lost City of Barakus by Frog God Games. There's a Pathfinder and Swords & Wizardry version, but converting isn't that hard.

They make adventures and dungeons that are intended to be difficult and deadly. They've not done any 5e Mega-dungeons yet, though, so keep that in mind. Once the Blight comes out (if its ever finished), you'll have a campaign for 5e that's something straight out of victorian London, if that victorian London was powered by Necromancy and Terror.
>>
>>49421847
I actually don't think anyone in the group has, but can't be sure.
>>
>>49421989
I run two games a week on Roll20 and sometimes play in a third. One of them has been going for a year and is the friendliest, most roleplay-heavy group I've ever had. The other were a group of newbies I pulled together and we've been playing since March, and they've caught the D&D bug.

Playing online is easier to pull off with higher quality presentation, simply because everything is digital. It's not a mediocre solution--given you can choose players based on schedule and playstyle more easily it is often a better solution than playing IRL.
>>
>>49420772
>This is a safe space
Safe as in "everyone will mock you anyway", I assume.
>>
>>49422049
other than game finder threads where would i find a group? one of my main concerns is that i'm not going to find people to play with online that i can relate too.
>>
>>49422073
There's always Roll20's LFG directory, but that's a huge mixed bag in terms of quality. Your best bet is to ask the people you already associate with online and see if any of them (or their friends) are interested.
>>
>>49420715
I don't think pol gets triggered if it's lesbian based cucking
>>
>>49421989
I'd rather play irl, but online is better than nothing, and there are plenty of ways to do it
>>
>>49421873
No. You're going to look me in my acne infested face and tell me I'm a beautiful little elf while I stoke my neckbeard, and take a puff of my vape.
>>
>>49422016
I'll check it out.
>>
>>49421517
Ever go to church? School? Malls? Places that are big buildings with lots of rooms?

Take those buildings, draw them underground. Put several of them together to use better your space, or leave some gaps in between for subterranean parking lots.

Use tables. Don't try to wing encounters/treasure
>>
>>49421832
>I don't know how to handle sex in my hands
Pull back, then forwards, repeat until finished.
Con check vs std's/sti's?
>>
>>49422090
haha i don't associate with anybody online :/

i'll check out the lfg thing though
>>
>>49422098
Lesbians are degenerate, so you're wrong.
>>
>>49421517
One of my favorite 'dungeons' I ran for my players was a museum curated by the BBEG. Encounters were based on each room's exhibits. It allows variety of enemies and traps. From animated armors to exotic creatures on display and traps that literally invite the players to get too close. A greedy character near treasure will always fall for the trick. Remember, the best traps always have more than one way out. A character got stuck in a closet filling with sand. There was a tapestry I put there to fill the hole in and allow him to focus on the door. The pyro burnt it and the trap became significantly more tense.
>>
>>49421517
You want traps? Here's traps I've used against my players.
>dex checks to climb on ropes across a large pit. Perception checks to spot ropes that are safe to climb on vs. ropes that will activate a giant stone boulder to drop down and smash
>walking on rocks and avoiding sand or an ankheg will pop out
>they walk into a room and are placed at the end of a very long queue. The line doesn't move
>Walls slam shut and separate each member. An ooze slides its way in and the goal is to kill it and place it on a button in each cell to open the walls.
>similar, but water floods in, they have to let the person behind them into their cell and progress
>a pit with a clear glass wall on the far side
>a chest with a sign that says "Warning, mimic!" the sign is the mimic.
>two chains in side passages pulled simultaneously open a door in the middle, dex checks determine if they get it. Lower the DC if they have a member in the middle facilitating. If they fuck it up rocks drop in all three passages.
>a room with 25 doors and a key ring of 25 keys. Only one door opens to a hall. Roll initiative and turn over an hourglass
>the floor in a hallway spins vertically. If it ever reaches full vertical orientation it hits a button on the ceiling and spikes in the lower part of the passage shoot out.
>floor in a passage sinks when stepped on- after a point the water it's on flows over and drags the floor down and there is a 10 ft deep pit of water. Then the pirhanas come in
>a trough of water 120' long that begins to boil when the party tries to swim through
>a gap with a drawbridge that lowers when walked on. When the drawbridge lowers it also pulls down a section of ceiling releasing a bunch of painful rolling rocks
>two crawlspaces. One is the right way, the other goes to an uptilted tunnel that lowers with the weight of the person crawling in it, causing the opening to meet up with a water pump that floods the passage and they have to crawl out
more to come
>>
>>49421790
Actually >>4940534 I prefer this. I always fill it out than save as a new file. You can hold your character information on your computer and print it off for your sessions.
>>
>>49422444
>a room has a four-foot-high "log" going across the middle. If they try to climb it they find they need a strength check to let go- it's super sticky. Whoever doesn't make the check starts getting dragged towards a hole in the wall through which can be seen gnashing sharp teeth.
>a combination lock that asks for a distance associated with the dungeon- "how far did the hero buried here run to blah blah blah" with a simple int check to get an answer. It's another int check to realize they would have used km and not mi.
>a statue has light being reflected onto it from four gems on pedestals- there's another empty pedestal. Obviously they need to give up a gem to shine on the statue and open the door. They'll hate it.
>a key in a steel box opens a door. Six potions on a table. one shrinks the drinker, the rest are poison or potions of shrinking or whatever- they all do different things. I don't care how they get the key, the point is to bait the barbarian into drinking them all and letting me roll on the potion miscibility table.
>"trace the path of the hero on this map" step wrong and the map crumbles. Think the last crusade, spelling jesus' name. Int checks to get the path. If they smash the map leaving only the path left standing, now its dex checks. They still have to walk it to open the door.
>Room of Overthinking. Yeah, ripped straight from oglaf. Except I had them roll will saves and an illithid appeared if they failed, drawn by their delicious thinking
>>
>>49422444
>>49422555
One dungeon was themed around goblin-built traps, in a maze that the goblin boss had built like an amusement park to extort money out of folks. The joke was, all the "traps" were that the party somehow caused a bell to ring, in which case the goblins hiding in the walls would cause something to occur.
>step on a bar which jiggles a bell- a second later goblins push a huge stone block on wheels quickly towards you to squish you
like that.
>open door, hits a bell, goblins shoot at you with crossbows as you run down the hall
>step into a metal cage that acts as a bridge over a gap in a chasm- vibrations in the cage cause the bell tied at the top to ring. Goblins drop monsters into the cage from above.
>a long pit full of spikes with a diving board. Step on the diving board, a bell tied underneath rings and goblins rush out of trapdoors and try to shove you all into the pit.
>a 100 foot long rope bridge with bells tied to the bottom. Halfway across, the goblins release a gorgon.
>another rope bridge- this time when the bells ring a goblin comes out and tries to cut the bridge
>a hole with bright candles and painted arrows pointing to it. Looking in, you see a board with a nail being held back by a rope, and a goblin with a pair of scissors. Dex check to not lose your eye.
and etc. etc.
>>
>>49422476
That 'boons' window is kind of weird, what do you put in there? Could you give me an example?
>>
>>49422819
Boons are non physical rewards for high level characters. These are generally considered gifts of power from Gods and the sort. They're in the DMG.
>>
>>49422995
But what do you put in there? Just the number of boons you have or their effect?
>>
>>49423010
Their effect and name.
>>
>>49419811

how else am I going to kill someone with reduction to everything but psychic?

>>49419818

Is this that weird caster math again? Why can't I as a 3rd level caster know second level spells?

>>49419831

Fiiiine. And I felt so smart too. Shield it is

Unless someone's got a better recommendation?

>>49419840

Kinda, yeah. You learn to live with it for the perks
>>
Is it worth it to play Eldritch Knight in hopes of being able to hook (lightning lure) and smack a bitch each turn?
>>
>>49415515
If by 'overlap' you mean stack, it's not really even temp hp in the first place and it's a bit poorly balanced. If you mean that temp hp doesn't stack, that's just the rule with temp hp.
>>
>>49424367

If that's all you want, take the magic initate feat, and add booming blade while you're at it so that they know not to leave
>>
>>49424367
Only if you can work alongside a wizard, or somebody who can use a spell such as 'create bonfire' or 'cloud of daggers'.
Otherwise, it won't be much of a staple spell, but it may prove useful sometimes.

Or, heck, you can get those spells yourself, probably.
>>
>>49424367
Eldrich knight, take sentinel feat, bonfire and lightning lure.

Bonfire then hit them. Next turn lighting lure them back into the fire and hit them.
>>
>>49424558
Just realized cloud of daggers actually does less damage than create bonfire at about level 11, and eldritch knights will probably only be able to get it at those higher levels anyway.
>>
>>49416645
That's the standard. Not sure if you're genuinely isolated, pretentious+ kinda bitchy, or trolling, but in a decade across over 6 systems at 3-7 tables a year I've never seen it done the other way. Considered it myself once or twice, but the systems are made around the assumption you don't.
>>
>>49424328
>how else am I going to kill someone with reduction to everything but psychic?

You can out run him with Cunning Action, firing your ranged weapon the whole way.

>Is this that weird caster math again? Why can't I as a 3rd level caster know second level spells?
Multiclassing combines for slots but not spell level. You can only prepare/know spells as if you were single classed. A 3rd level Arcane Trickster only has 1st level spells and a 2nd level Wizard only has 1st level spells, so you only use 1st level spells even though you have some 2nd level slots to use your 1st level spells with.
>>
>>49424734
Cloud of daggers damage does look low but it doesn't roll to hit and offers no saving throw. It is consistant and reliable and scales well with higher spell levels (Better for wizards and warlocks than knights though).
>>
>>49424328
It's so players can't take 19 levels of cleric, and then 1 level of druid to gain immediate access to 9th level druid spells.
>>
>>49424784
Yeah. A wizard assisting would get much better use out of it, but they might want their concentration for something else.
>>
>>49424862
Great spell for Warlocks, since they don't have as many Concentration spells anyway and have to cast it full power either way.

Fantastic if you couple it with a grappling party member or pet.
>>
>>49424887
>entire party grapples enemies
>everybody on their turn moves 15ft, dragging the enemy into and then out of the daggers
Fun
Thread posts: 368
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.