[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

40k is derivative, who'd have thought

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: UhBoss.png (322KB, 450x375px) Image search: [Google]
UhBoss.png
322KB, 450x375px
Does anyone have a link to the article where one of the original creators of Rogue Trader saying how they just 'stole everything' or similar when being interviewed about the creation of the IP? I need it but either my google-fu is shit or it's just gone from the surface of the internet.
>>
>>49405504
You mean stuff like inquisitor obi wan?
>>
>>49405589
No, there was an article from one of the gaming publications a few years back that was circulated through all the forums and places like Bell of Lost Shills that was about an interview with Rick Priestly or one of the original devs of the first Rogue Trader where he talked about how they went about ripping off everything and just openly admitted it.
>>
>>49405504
No, 40k originated, orks, elves, and... no, they originated space, marines, armored soldiers...
no, I mean, they've always been dead serious about the 40k universe ...well mostly, except for..

It's always been over the top violent, ironic, humorous, mishmash of scifi and fantasy.
>>
>>49405504
Thank you kind sir for discovering America !

This is common knowledge. You don't need someone to admit it.

God Emperor - concept from Dune
Eldar - must I say it ?
Necrons - Skynet Terminator
IG - Starship Trooper
The Imperium - Rome
Tau - Japanese Communists
Tyranids - Alien and also Starship Trooper
Chaos - Lovecraft Eldritch horror

And the list goes on and on...
>>
>>49405504
You don't need it. You just want to be able to throw it up in threads like a faggot to try to get a rise out of people. Fuck off.
>>
>>49406948
>Chaos - Lovecraft Eldritch horror

why do people jump at lovecraft when it is moorcock?
>>
>>49406971
Nah, I need it for a citation.
Everyone knows 40k is derivative, but I'd like the actual admittance of it the sake posterity.
>>
>>49406948
That's oversimplified and plain wrong at places. Musn't be so obvious in the end, heh?

>IG - Starship Trooper
Seriously, a 1997 movie, really?

>>49407951
True, but can you find me a franchise that isn't derivative?
>>
>>49408048
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Starship_Troopers
>>
>>49408089
Eh, the movie and book are RADICALLY different settings. IG much more closely follow the movie rather than the book, which is where I'm assuming he got it from.
>>
>>49408089
>implying Heinlein's Mobile Infantry is anything like IG.
You high?
>>
>>49406419
Say that to the raving fanboys, who go on and on about the how unique and extraordinary the setting is and how cool this flavor of space marine is.
>>
>>49407068
As there are different authors in 40k, some tend to take more stuff from Lovecraft.
>>
>>49408089
Much closer to (Rogue Trader) Space Marines than IG in the book.
>>
>>49408276
>>49408380
Guys, he was posting that because the dude he was replying to was acting like Starship Troopers was just the Paul Verhooven movie. Learn how to read.
>>
Sure, 40k is a patchwork of clichés and thefts, but it's quite an unique association.
Eldar having a lot of antique mediterranean and glamrock elements at the same time, squats being biker gangs, nids getting a lot of inspiration from dinosaurs, orks being holligans.
Sadly, a lot of the most original ideas haven't been reused in recent lore (like the Starchild and Sensei, or the gretchins being the orks' former masters)

>>49408424
Well, if you link IG with Starship Troopers, it's safe to assume that you're only talking about the movie and not the book.
>>
Warhammer Fantasy also stole basically all of Blizzards's fluff and units from the Warcraft universe.

Why is GW so uncreative?
>>
>>49406948
>IG - Starship Trooper

Bullshit, those guys were Space Marines, not meatgrinder grunts.
>>
>>49408605
I was looking for my lowqualitybait.jpeg, but then I remembered that I had this one.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.