[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Song magic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: FFXIV_Bard2.jpg (81KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
FFXIV_Bard2.jpg
81KB, 800x450px
Hi /tg/ I want to make a system for song magic, that is more than just 'cast spell and shit happens instantly' which is just every magic ever. However I am an uncultured peasant and have absolutely no clue about how music works. Do you have ideas to help out please?
>>
>>49401449
Make those fuckers have to sing the song and dance a jig for the duration of the effect OP.
>>
Why are you trying to make things you have no clue about?
>>
>>49401449
What system are you using?
>>
>>49401462
Ummmm okay... noted

>>49401464
Like I know there are probably rules and method on how song are written or sung in real life to actually have them sound decent but I have no clue about them.

>>49401476
I have no set system but I think something turn based like D&D.
>>
>>49401571
Music is an art, not a science.
Book learning won't get you anywhere.
>>
>>49401449
I'm imagining a flowchart that is built from components that let you branch out for escalating and cumulative effects.
>>
>>49401571
>I have no set system but I think something turn based like D&D.

A lot of it is going to come down to what system you're basing it off, I think, and whether or not you're intending to replace the magic system in it's entirety, or whether or not Song Magic would exist alongside the other magic present in the game system (the former might upset players, the latter will make it harder to balance).

For what it's worth, I'd have something where each turn, a character sings / plays a small section of music, and these are strung together over multiple turns to increase their effect or add new effects to it. You provide Bards with a selection of these little parts, and maybe a few complete "songs" that comprise of certain parts, which give a fixed but powerful bonus on completion. Maybe throw in a system that lets the Bard make new songs, or learn songs from others. It'd be a significant abstraction from how music actually works, but rolling a D20, adding your attack modifier and comparing it to AC is a significant abstraction of fighting. As long as it "feels" right to the players and you, it should be okay.
>>
>>49401599
No, it's an application of mathematics that is audiologically pleasing to a listener.
>>
File: FF5_dancers.jpg (654KB, 700x878px) Image search: [Google]
FF5_dancers.jpg
654KB, 700x878px
>>49401599
>>49402125
Calm down gentlemen. I am not trying to make real music here you know, as I said I have no clue about it. It doesn't have to be realistic at all. I just want to come up with something that has some identity other than prepare spell > cast spell > shit happens
>>
>>49401449
Magic spells must be spoken in an ancient tonal language.
Playing actual music makes it easier to keep things together.
Instruments are made to be magic catalysts in the same way as staffs and wands are.

There, bards.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.