[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

The Dark Eye (DSA) General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

So the new English localization of 5th edition is already out in PDF and the Dead Tree edition will be available Nov 1st.

I will probably be picking up these books when they come out. I've been curious about DSA ever since I played the Drakensang games.

Who's planning to run this game?

Has anyone tried running this game using the Fanpro edition or fan translations?
>>
>>49392793
Isn't this that game where you have to roll 3d20 and compare each die to a different target number to perform a basic skill check?
>>
>>49392793
Why is she pointing her flaming dildo at the viewer?

>>49392944
Yes, but it's faster than you might think. But it's not as bad as you make it sound.
>>
>>49392975
>Why is she pointing her flaming dildo at the viewer?
Because it's a German product.
>>
>>49392975
>Yes, but it's faster than you might think. But it's not as bad as you make it sound.

What makes it so useable then?
>>
>>49393410
Well, for one thing it's roll-under. Comparing a d20 or three against a number not higher than 20 is child's play.
>>
>>49393410
Your entire roll doesn't depend on one stat, depening on your GM it offers some flexibility. Let's say you climg something and two rolls succeed except your agility, your GM might decide that it took some time.
>>
>>49393463
What about Talent Prowess?

That's something that confused me in the FanPro edition. So you are rolling under 3 stats in order, but if you fail one roll you have a pool of TP points that you can subtract from each roll to try and get them under.

That seems like it would be a lot to keep track of during actual play, especially since each talent has its own pool of TP.
>>
>>49393493
I gravely dislike TDE (3rd edition; haven't had a chance or any interest to play since) as a whole, but that's part is really not a problem.
Spotting whether you messed up a roll and then gauging whether you have enough Prowess to mitigate that failure is quick and easy.

It's all the stuff built around this easy, yet detailed basic resolution system that makes the system a terrible drag.
>>
What's exactly so good about the system that krauts decided to make it export product?

I thought it was only popular in germany because it was german and one of the first systems, kind of how D&D is popular everywhere?

Does it have any specific values over that?

I tried to play the first of DSA crpgs (drakensang?) but it was quite awful, so i generally have bad impression.
>>
>>49394255
>
For one, the world is insanely detailed, lots of cities have been mapped and the world has been improved since 30 years.
Two, it has much more crunch than D&D (the fourth edition at least. The fifth doesn't have that many rules, but is still more complex than D&D5)

The 3d20 system isn't actually that bad. The gist is:
Roll 3 20-sided dice
Compare to the corresponding attributes
If any of the rolls is above the target, you may us epoints from your skill level to "lower" the roll.
If you have at least 0 points after reduction you have passed the test.
The GM may make the test more difficult or easier, by increasing or decreasing the amount of points you may use. For example a perception+5 is harder than a normal perception, because you have 5 points less to compensate.
This aspect is a little different in DSA5.

Source: I've been playing since 5 years, editions 3 through 5. I'm currently most active in 4.1 though.
>>
>>49394867

>skills give you points to modify rolls

The first I've seen this is in Gumshoe and I am shocked that it's so rare for other systems to copy it.
>>
>>49394255
>kind of how D&D is popular everywhere?

Actually, D&D is NOT popular everywhere. It is the most popular RPG in the English-speaking world, but TSR really dropped the ball when it came to foreign language editions. If I recall correctly, they released a French player's handbook and Dungeon Master's Guide and that was about it.

In Central Europe, Eastern Europe, and the Nordic countries the first RPG to get localized was not D&D, it was Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 1st edition. This colored a lot of the early evolution of role-playing games in this region. Much of the game design in Swedish and German RPGs is more reminiscent of WFRP 2nd ed than dnd and Player character tend to be more underdogs than epic heroes.

TSR also dropped the ball in Japan, but in a different way. The Japanese TTRPG market had a problem for a long time that polyhedral dice were almost unattainable. Very few stores carried and the one that did charged outrageous markups for them. This remained the case until the mid-Naughties, and by then this problem had already colored the evolution of Japanese TTRPG designs. Even today most Japanese TTRPGs like Sword World and Alshard are either d6 only or use other methods for randomization such as Tokyo Nova which uses cards.

Incidentally this is also part of why Shadowrun is the most popular foreign RPG in the Japanese market.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.