[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Comedy of Cthulu

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: Fire_Of_Unknown_origin.jpg (64KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
Fire_Of_Unknown_origin.jpg
64KB, 350x350px
Im thinking of doing a call of cthulu game where the players are trying to stop the blue oyster cult, i want to fill it with jokes and make it a light hearted game.

ideas?
>>
The cult can only summon the whatever on a Harvest Moon.

Honestly just pick apart BOC lyrics/song titles and use them.
>>
>>49391759
>Honestly just pick apart BOC lyrics/song titles and use them.

Not a bad idea, I do this from time to time. I really wish Imaginos had been finished, or maybe Pearlman had published The Soft Doctrines of Imaginos, so we could really dig into the BoC mythos.

>The mirror found
>In the chamber of jade grown like a seed
>Deep within the ground
>>
File: 1474141559369.gif (2MB, 300x262px) Image search: [Google]
1474141559369.gif
2MB, 300x262px
>just bought the Fire of Unknown Origin on iTunes this morning
>load up /tg/ and immediately see a BOC thread
>>
>>49391687
Have the players run into a CoC LARP at one point, but dont let them find out its just a bunch of nerds RP'ing until its too late.
>>
>>49392142
>just bought the Fire of Unknown Origin on iTunes this morning
One of their best. I'm personally partial to Tyranny and Mutation (the first 3 songs are meh, but everything after that is fantastic), but Fire of Unknown Origin is probably my second favorite.

Alt Version/Demo of Fire of Unknown Origin -- https://youtu.be/ez7wjTaaTCM

>>49391687
I want to help, but I'm a "serious business; no fun allowed" kind of guy. For sure you should have the players get attacked by ice dogs though. And deal with a cult that harvests eyes. And maybe a quicklime girl, if you can figure out what the fuck that is.

>>49392096
Granddaughter, it's a foreign mirror, taken from the jungle by crime!

Also, In the Presence of Another World has some good material:
>Your master, he's a monster
>He will come on a bridge of paper
>Inscribed with a hundred names of God
>But he can count one more
>The curse of life eternal
>Written on the door

>Your master is a monster
>born of a yolkless egg
>he has dominion over animals
>he walks the world: entrail diviner
>and when the stars are right
>he locks the door behind the door behind the door
>the milky way abyss inclines
>the seven years of labor for the instruments of time
>>
File: images.jpg (12KB, 278x181px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
12KB, 278x181px
This campaign needs more cowbell.
>>
>>49391759
The Black Blade is the mcguffin
>>
>>49392405
>In the Presence of Another World has some good material:

Oh yeah, that whole song is creepy as fuck.

>Your master is a monster
>And gentlemanly too
>He'll make for us some new germ
>With pieces of the perfect black
>The alpha and omega
>The double peaks of mars
>The maze of his infinity
>The buried city In the stars

I find Secret Treaties to be my favorite BoC album, especially on repeated listenings. Tyranny and Mutation is great, too.

The whole mythology that Pearlman built up is full of good idea fodder. I like the way it weaves itself in with real world occult stuff and obscure historical facts.
When taken as a whole and filtered through lyrics I find it's great for inspiring me to think up weird shit to shove into my campaigns. I haven't literally used bits wholesale yet, but I've got this idea brewing about the black mirror...
>>
You really need UFOlogy elements. Take me away, Extraterrestial Intelligence, etc
>>49392405
>. And maybe a quicklime girl, if you can figure out what the fuck that is.
She grows plants from corpses, read the lyrics
>>49392254
Have the players run into the actual band, who are clueless to the whole thing and just somehow happened to pick up all this cultist shit to put in their songs
>>
>>49392478
McGuffin, if anything. Similar to the demonic flute to which rhythm do the outer gods dance around Azathoth.

Demonic Cowbell of the Valorous Coryphaeus.
>>
>>49392733
Of course, you omit the cow part from the name. Have legends of its original owner start with something like "Ó Fearghail "The Man of Valor" first gained the possession of the bell, ringing it to the tune of maddening rhythm of the reality beyond..."

And at some point someone tells them the family of Ó Fearghail is still alive, with their name changed to Ferrell.
>>
Here's a quick overview of the BoC mythos:

The band's manager, Sandy Pearlman, was in college in the 60s mainlining history, occultism, and copious amounts of weed. One day, he sat down and wrote up a lengthy treatise called The Soft Doctrines of Imaginos, as a kind of what-if story. It's essentially a secret history of the world for the past few centuries.
The salient points are:

The loa of voodoo are real. They're seven pitiless intelligences that dwell on a dead planet circling Sirius. When conditions are right, they can project thoughts and images to Earth, getting the best reception in the Caribbean.
They can also communicate directly and clearly via black mirrors, built by devotees in South America. (Trufax: A black mirror was supposedly used by John Dee, court magician to Queen Elizabeth)
To pass the millenia, they amuse themselves by playing games with mankind, shifting history to their own inscrutable ends.
The Invisibles manipulate events to ensure the birth, of a better tool to serve them, man dubbed Imaginos. He gets thrown overboard (on purpose) in the Caribbean, and contacted by the Invisibles as he's drowning. He agrees to serve them, becoming Desdinova, the Eternal Light, and aids the Cult and their stellar masters.
He brings a new black mirror back to Europe and begins doppelgangering it up via magic to manipulate people and events on behalf of the Invisibles.
He gives the mirror as a gift to a noble girl, who keeps it in her room at the cottage where here parents live. This one little house is also coincidentally used for a lot of major diplomatic meetings between heads of many European nations during this period (Trufax, though I forget the house's name) and the mirror works its mojo on them as they pass through, twisting them towards irrational belligerence, and ultimately leading to the events of World War 1 and 2.

There's more to it than that, but the tl;dr version is that alien minds fuck with mankind and everybody pays the price.
>>
>>49391687
Will there be multiple themes based on their different albums?
>>
>http://www.somethingawful.com/dungeons-and-dragons/call-of-cobain/1/
These are a good example of a CoC campaign that manages to be funny without losing any cosmic horror weirdness.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.