[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

An item that can substitute for souls

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 1

File: necromancer-300x300.jpg (18KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
necromancer-300x300.jpg
18KB, 300x300px
So, and hear me out on this, i'm DMing for a group using 3.5. One of the characters plans to use the soul eater prestige class. Instead of going with the "Evil by default" rules i'm running with its description that many soul eaters are forced into it on the verge of death.

So what i'm going to do is allow this person to keep their alignment, but instead use the sanity variant rules from unearthed arcana, using it to show a decent into madness and soul sucking craziness.

So basically, i need 2 things. First is how often i should make him need to suck souls to survive (being a soul eater i'm not gonna allow him to just blow it off). The games timeframe will be pretty wide, a couple weeks between dungeons and towns due to travelling.

Second, i need to know if there's an item in 3.5 that could substitute for those needed souls without outright taking souls from things. Something he'd gain by persevering for a long enough time without going insane.

I know this is all pretty specific, but if anyone could give me advice on this, it'd be great.
>>
He should need to suck souls as often as you see fit. Is he essentially a drug addict needed a fix at least once a week or is it more of just an inconvienence at one month. As for the item don't be a stupid GM. Make it up, nothing in the books matter you are the rules.
>>
>>49384611
I would rather not make up an item when there's already one perfectly capable of filling the role.

The point of me asking about the timeframe was more because i'm not sure how harsh i want it to be. To often and his character will go insane to quickly and be put down by the paladin. Too slowly and it won't matter. I want a happy medium.
>>
>>49384687

>when there's already one perfectly capable of filling the role.

I'm pretty sure 3.5 has a massive pool of items to draw from. You shouldn't be afraid to just make up one instead of sifting through all the pages.

Although if it is already an existing class then the same source might already have an item if not materials that came out around the same time.

As far as how often I'm not entirely sure. I like to imagine souls are a powerful thing irregardless of source so I'd say once a month or year. Month could definitely put on the clamps cuz weeks add up to a month real quick.
>>
>>49385385
My issue with it is that soul eater as a class is 3.0 material, and i don't know if the BoVD would even care to put something in it to stop a vile deed. That said, i will look.

That and this is an extremely specific scenario.

On the side of homebrew, i'd rather not homebrew an item if i can help it because i wouldn't even begin to know its gold value and when to give it to the player.

As for once a month, i'm also including things like animals and such into the soul sucking, so it'll be a bit more lenient on that front (mostly to prevent him from attacking the party too early). So maybe weekly or bi weekly? It'd be fairly easy to find a rabbit or something with a good survival skill, which he should have.
>>
>>49385502

Sure, sounds like you got a good handle on things related to his soul sucking.

As far as item gold cost I'd look at items that do shit with souls in there fluff (there have to be some) and place it there.

Otherwise the gold might just not matter if you give it to them. Though it sounds like the item won't be needed since they can drain woodland critters guilt-free.
>>
>>49385619
I never said it would be completely guilt free. Thats the point of the sanity system. I'm saying he can just do that without the party or other justice enforcing groups immediately smiting his ass.

and as for the gold, its not so much the gold thats important but its value in gold, so i can know what his wealth per level would be. keep him in line with the part and all.
>>
>>49385648

Well yeah but the item still does seem pretty redundant since he can soul drain animals without a problem, or are you thinking that the magic item bypasses the idea of consuming the soul of living things completely?

Because it sounds like you are looking pretty deeply into how souls work in D&D so either google that or make it up yourself.
>>
>>49385967
I want it to bypass the need, if not the idea.

And yeah, i know this is stupidly specific. I guess i'll just homebrew up an item. Maybe a necromancer that was trying to use it to create an army of undead, but failed because its not actual souls, but a soul like energy.

Something along those lines.
>>
>>49386016

The necromancer thing sounds like the best bet. You gotta be careful about getting hyper specific about stuff because then you start putting things in the setting that won't make sense or everything will fall apart in weird ways.

Also I really like the lore of it used to be a necromancer item. You could have that be the way that they find it, necromancer they are fighting against tries to use it but it does nothing because it's not enough to animate bones and shit but plenty to fuel a soul eater.
>>
Incarnum! It's a substance, not an item, but it can be used as soul food if you get some.
>>
>>49386364
Well, the player is the one that wanted to use the soul eater class. And with a class that is so outright evil, come commensurate costs and tribulations.

And yeah, the necromancer thing is probably the best bet. It can be put basically anywhere, really. Somewhere in a world someone has to be doing something they shouldn't. Might as well make it help a player out.

>>49386382
incarnum you say? i'll need to look that up
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.