[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Has anyone on /tg/ actually used the tarrasque in one of their

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 41
Thread images: 6

File: 1447041111159.jpg (127KB, 498x573px) Image search: [Google]
1447041111159.jpg
127KB, 498x573px
Has anyone on /tg/ actually used the tarrasque in one of their campaigns, or played in a campaign that did? How did that work out?
>>
>>49380377
Most GMs are too busy wanking over their evil cults and cult leaders that are oh so unique and different from all the other evil cults.

I don't think I've ever played in a game where the primary antagonists weren't cultists.
>>
My party are currently in a dungeon that's erected on the back of a slumbering tarrasque which has been locked away within the crags of a massive seaside cliff.

There are numerous pitfalls around the complex that look like your conventional pitfalls to death but players who are crafty enough to investigate (whether they use Light on a rock and throw it, or rappel down), they can see the floors below aren't full of spikes or shit but the flesh of the beast.
>>
>>49380377
havent used one yet, but i am planning on it.
I saw an idea for a story floating around where a town sprouted up around a captured tarrasque, building a whole economy around chopping off its pieces and draining its fluids.

Im planning on using this as a recurring setting once the group gets a bit higher leveled, and possibly eventually having it either escape or give birth while bound
>>
>>49380499

Have a blog or wordpress or some shit? I wanna read up on your setting, anon.
>>
>>49380377

I use one in my campaign setting; its the rough equivalent to Cerberus. It guards the only possible passage out of the netherworld.

My own twist: each time something gets past it, it gets worse. We were using 3.5 at the time, and I just kept adding templates.

Last version was a Dire Infernal Phrenic 6 headed Cryo-Hydra with an anti-magic field in its stomach.
>>
>>49380535
It's Knowhere from GotG.
>>
>>49380418
>evil cult
Fuck.
>>
>>49380377
I haven't but a tarrasque factors heavily into the creation myth of the campaign setting
>>
I HAVE a Tarrasque in my game, but it's not awake yet. The BBEG was out of the dimension for while, and thousands of years had passed due to uneven timelines. The Gods had killed their King-God, slaughtered his followers, removed any mention of him, and set up a theocratic totalitarian state.

But the BBEG worshiped that god and is suitably pissed. Luckily, it was a God of Creation and Destruction, and the BBEG remembers where the god parked his destructo-beast.

I was originally planning to give my players some strong items and let them fight it out to cap off the campaign. But the Players are also pretty pissed at the Gods at this point, and are probably just going to let him unleash the hell beast in exchange for his extra-planar travel spells.
>>
File: 1460346838973.jpg (324KB, 583x1508px) Image search: [Google]
1460346838973.jpg
324KB, 583x1508px
>>49380566
>mfw
>>
>>49380418

That sucks. Time to find a new GM.
>>
>>49380377
I did.The Tarrasque was used as the avatar of Deep Rot, serving as the first, best and last line of defence against its computer body (it also had a breath weapon, which made its bite /grapple quite entertaining). It was great, until the freshly reborn rogue decided to hit the fighter with a frying pan.
>>
File: Data Thinks Its Funny.gif (1MB, 208x156px) Image search: [Google]
Data Thinks Its Funny.gif
1MB, 208x156px
>>49380997
>>
>>49380957
But what if the keys happen to be the player's immortal souls?
>>
>>49380377
I've had a DM use it.
Against a level 9 party.
He massively buffed it, because he was such a retard about handing out items and tweaking the rules we probably could have killed it if anyone at the table played remotely smart, and he wasn't a retard and allowed that. (I say allowed, because he was extremely /That Gm/)
I dropped out of his game super hard after that, and if he ever comes back to the store or even invites me to another game I'm going to tell him to fuck off.
>>
File: Tarrasque Advanced 3-5.jpg (850KB, 1550x1112px) Image search: [Google]
Tarrasque Advanced 3-5.jpg
850KB, 1550x1112px
>>49380535
the idea isnt mine, i found it floating around

this may have been the original source i found
https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?261519-D-amp-Dish-The-city-built-around-the-tarrasque

but if you google tarrasque city, youll find other similar shit

pic semi-related
>>
>>49380418
I have never played in a game where the primary antagonist was an evil cult.
>>
>>49382038

>Challenge to epic parties
>Still can't fight a flying person.
>>
>>49380377
Yes I did, by I made it so that the players have to find a mcguffin to kill it, and it was a big part of the campaign.
>>
>>49382260

CLASSIC
>>
I had the idea a week or so ago - the terrasque is the larval form of a space whale. They eat planets. The terrasque is inside the moon. It's hatched eight times now. The time wizards from the moon have to go back 48 hours to cast some sort of spell that'll keep it gestating for another few hundred years. They may or may not require help from the party
>>
>>49383392
Sounds like doctor who
>>
>>49383771
Fuck, I wasn't even thinking about that. I didn't even watch the full episode. It was shit. All the recent stuff has been shit.
>>
>>49380418
>Evil cult
I mean... does it count if the game may have died before it got the cult part? The cult was only supposed to be a lead in to hint at the true nature of the antagonists.

(although the one game I actually finished did feature a cult as the main antagonist, but that doesn't count if it was a pokemon game does it?)
>>
>>49383850
nigger, kill the moon was two years and two doctors ago, how exactly "recent" do you mean?
>>
The capital of the elven land in my setting is an island that has formed around a tarrasque. It's one of 20 gargantuan monsters that sleep in the earth and can be awakened if you know the right ritual. Left there as a protector from the fey gods when the Feywild was invaded by the denizens of the Shadowfell thousands of years ago.
>>
>>49380377
Heaven's yes.

HIGH levels PCs (like 17-18 something) in a plane jumping campaign. Required several pieces from a Tarrasque to prevent a Baddie God from resurrecting.

After killing it, they couldn't find enough parts to complete the rite which is when I pulled out the age old rule of "One Tarrasque per Material World." ... Oh the groans... So sweat.

Even managed to convince them to take on the Dread-Tarrasque which they knew and understood they didn't NEED to do. A beefed up monstrosity from one of the Dragon Mag's. Lives on 666 of the abyss.

Good times. Ofcourse to even high level PCs mere CR 24s are push overs. Once they break into 9th level spells and +5 weapons it starts to not matter if they hit 20 or not. Fun all around.
>>
>>49380418
>Anonymous 09/16/16(Fri)18:18:05 No.493
My favorite campaign, we were monster hunters. We basically just followed rumors around about villages and kingdoms being terrorized and took care of it. DM ran it as kind of a pseudo-horror thing. Investigate the disappearances, track the creatures, do some research into how to kill it... We had to do a lot of improvising because we practically never had the right equipment to put the creature down for good.
>>
>>49384226
Which doctor was that? Was it it the new one? It's been a while since I watched okay
>>
>>49384349
astronauts are sent to find out what's wrong with the moon because it's fucking things up on earth super hard. turns out earths moon is a really fucking old egg, and the entire plot is basically the astronauts on it and the doctor debating on killing the soon to be born creature, so that earth retains its moon.
I am actually wrong and a dumb fuck though, I somehow superimposed tennant onto my memories, but it's actually the most recent one.
Feel free to consider it garbage, if I actually blacked out which doctor the episode had, the side characters carried it far more.
Recent stuff has been shit, yes.
>>
>>49384317
Wow, almost sounds like one of the good hunts from the Witcher 3, only you weren't Geralt but a bunch of scrub-nubs trying to hunt it. Nito/10
>>
File: EmperasqueIsSorryColor.jpg (2MB, 2000x1701px) Image search: [Google]
EmperasqueIsSorryColor.jpg
2MB, 2000x1701px
>>49380377
We've been here before.
>>
>>49380377
The thing about the Terrasque is that while it's a bad mother, a lot of parties can handle it as long a they fly (which should be no challenge if they also have access to Wish already). However, Mr. T can raise a lot of hell while the PC's hover 100' overhead and hammer it with arrows (etc). Make the challenge be to kill the terrasque before it eats the town / gets sacrificed in the blood rite / tramples the castle walls, allowing the invading horde in.

I just finished a campaign where we had to kill a templated Terrasque twice...we just fuckin' ran from it once (no Wishes) and while the PC's were safe, it was clear than an army of thousands was going to sacrifice itself so we could complete our quest. Right in the feels and all.
>>
>>49384580
That stump was a gift directly from the emporer himself, how proud that man must be to receive such a thing!
>>
>>49384677
Don't worry. He got rocket knees.

Jesus, I still remember writing that.
>>
>>49380377
three level 7's beat it in a campaign i played in once. was a monk, and fighter and a kinda hybrid monk samurai
>>
In one of the campaigns one of my friends are in the PC power levels were measured in how many they could fight at once without party support or prep time, it's now not a reasonable metric since even the weakest would probably be in the hundreds or thousands.
>>
>>49384435
Last season or two has been getting better imo, I think Capaldi has started getting really tough on the writers not to give him shitty writing. Plus he's got enough experience as an actor that even when he's given garbage, he can often salvage it into something passable through sheer screen presence.

It's still nowhere near up to par with Eccleston, mind you, and that episode in particular was unadulterated ass. But for the most part I've found the last season watchable, even occasionally enjoyable. Try The Zygon Invasion/The Zygon Inversion if you're looking for good recent stuff, that was a nice two-parter.
>>
never encountered a tarrasque but my DM sent a half tarrasque, half human undead blackgaurd at the party, Happend to have a spear of of undead slaying and heroically charged the damn thing and killed it in one hit, DM was pissed
>>
>>49380377
I have a city in the far east whose primary food source is Terrasque meat, harvested from the ever-regenerating beast pinned into the ground in the center of the city through several mechanisms. This has been going on for a while, and the beast's mind is long gone. Probably.
Farmers in the city mostly grow spices and such to supplement the neverending, but all-to-similar-tasting meat that is the staple of the peoples' diets.

>>49380499
Fuck I typed that out and then read this comment. I guess I should make them use more parts of the Terrasque than just the meat.
Thread posts: 41
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.