[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Tribe 8

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

File: Tribe 8.jpg (86KB, 380x500px) Image search: [Google]
Tribe 8.jpg
86KB, 380x500px
About to run a Tribe 8 campaign. AMA
>>
What corpse did you retrieve this dead game from?
>>
>>49378757
I hunted down one of the designers and beat him to death with a baseball bat. He was carrying the book on him and I thought I'd give it a try out of respect for the dead.
>>
>>49378757
There was a recent reprint sale.

http://www.dp9.com/content/dream-pod-9-teams-bundle-holding-tribe-8-fans
>>
>>49378920
Unfortunately I did not take advantage of this. I bought a bunch of the pdfs years ago and only just now have a chance to play it.
>>
>>49379107
This thread is honestly the first time I've heard of the game in years. I've never played it, but conceptually it always sounded cool and it appeared on a lot of 'best of' lists (which aren't necessarily to be trusted).

Why don't you talk us through what you have planned and how it works?
>>
>>49379191
Tribe 8 is one of those games like Glorantha that people love the idea of, but are intimidated by the strangeness and depth of it. It had a massive amount of material written for it (I think at last count it had upwards of twenty books in the line).

The system is the Silhouette Core rules that power all of DP9's stuff, and is pretty quick and easy. Characters have ten stats and five derived attributes, plus skills. When you need to make a test you roll a number of d6 equal to your skill and add a bonus from the relevant attribute. Take the high roll, add your bonus, plus one for any additional sixes, and try to beat a target number set by the conditions of the task.

The wrinkle added by Tribe 8 is Synthesis/Sundering, which are paired but opposite philosophies of dream magic that play a vital role in the game's cosmology and story.
>>
>>49379317
The basic history of the world can be summarized in the idea that spiritual aliens called the Z'bri invade Earth and destroy it in an orgy of sex, violence, gluttony, and amnesia. All of humanity is herded into concentration camps and for generations all that men and women knew was pain and suffering. A few were able to reach out to the goddess and ask her for aid, which she sent in the form of eight fatimas, who lead humanity in an escape from the camps.

Joshua, the only male fatima, was slain in mysterious circumstances as humanity was on the cusp of victory over the Z'bri. Now there is an uneasy detente between humans and Z'bri, with the seven fatimas ruling over seven tribes.
>>
>>49379413
Is there a kind of pagan one year king eternal cycle implicit in that last part?
>>
>>49379457
Possibly. It's less likely given the fact that one of the female fatimas also dies shortly after the liberation without much explanation. The implication is more that the fatimas decided to make peace with the Z'bri, killed Joshua because they knew he would not go along with it, and then murdered the other when she found out.
>>
>>49379571
Oh. Well that's just depressing. Why did they make peace if they were winning?
>>
>>49379589
This is my speculation, but I believe it is because they were sent to free Humanity from the Z'bri; without the Z'bri, they have no reason to exist, and their tyrannical authority over the tribes and their nascent society would have no justification.
>>
>>49379191
The basic campaign frame follows outcasts from the seven tribes, known as "The Fallen", who must rebuild their shattered lives on the island of Hom.

When he died, Joshua prophesied that there would be an eighth tribe which would save the world and destroy the Z'bri for once and all. The Fallen have taken up that mantle for themselves.

My campaign is still somewhat formless, and depends largely on how character creation goes. Tribe 8 has a significant amount of material already written for it, and I just need to figure out how and whether or not I want to use it. The game has a huge metaplot, which unfortunately is regarded as the worst part of the game. I might be able to make use of that, or simply come up with my own adventures.
>>
File: face thumbsupdude.gif (481KB, 141x141px) Image search: [Google]
face thumbsupdude.gif
481KB, 141x141px
>>49378863
>>
This sounds cool as fuck
>>
>>49380770
It's pretty rad, anon. It seems like you can run pretty much any kind of game you want and have it play smoothly.
>>
File: pathfinderexo.jpg (54KB, 382x393px) Image search: [Google]
pathfinderexo.jpg
54KB, 382x393px
If you're gonna run a dead game from Dream Pod 9, why not Jovian Chronicles, famalam?

But on a more serious note, good luck man. How'd you get players to go along with it? Tribe 8 has a weird as fuck setting and if I can't describe it succinctly to my players, they look at me like I'm carrying the plague and back off until I find the words for it.
>>
>>49381540
Jovian Chronicles is cool, but the mecha didn't really gel with the hard-ish sci-fi tone they had going on.

As for how I got them to go along with it, I just told my players that it was a tribal post-apocalyptic sci-fi fantasy with spirit aliens and crazy dream magic. Goofballs ate it right up. They must be crazy or something.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.