[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D 5e General: Classic Art Edition

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 322
Thread images: 33

File: image.jpg (255KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
255KB, 1024x768px
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

>UA Revised Ranger
September Unearthed Arcana - The Ranger, Revised:
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/unearthed-arcana-ranger-revised

So how does your magic sound/taste/feel/look, anon?
>>
Are there any combat grids for the starting drow fortress in OoTA? If so where can I find them?

>>49368459
Octarine
>>
>>49368459
>So how does your magic sound/taste/feel/look, anon?
I tend to let my players flavor it how they wish.
>>
>>49368445
Actually I disagree, but only because of how the original Planescape was actually written.
Unfortunately it was constructed like the Old World of Darkness games, heavy on invincible NPC's who cannot loose and detailed organizations and places where they tell you "you will totally instantly die if you go here, how extreme is that?" but few actual player plot hooks and not much space for independent adventurers not affiliated with the wildly opposed to each other factions.

If it was substantially re-written flavor wise but with the same setting and style you might be right.
>>
>>49368504
this is a fantastic way to let players roleplay. I also let my players fluff their spells to how they want it - change Firebolt to Icebolt permanently, for example, if it fits more to their magic.
>>
>>49368524
The damage-changing can have some effects on balance, but if they want something more fitting their character I'll usually go in and crank something out for them. Sacred flame that deals lightning damage, a radiant firebolt to replace sacred flame... actually both of the players who asked for cantrip changes like that were clerics.
>>
>>49368459

Abjuration- Tastes like Salt
- Smells like Wood

Conjuration- Tastes like Tin
- Smells like Sawdust

Divination- Tastes like Green Tea
- Smells like Incense

Enchantment- Tastes like Sugar
- Smells like Wilting Flowers

Evocation- Tastes like Paprika
- Smells like Rain

Illusion- Tastes like Rosewater
- Smells like Chocolate

Necromancy- Tastes like Cinnamon
- Smells like Cold

Transmutation- Rotates through tasting like Red Wine, Pepercorn, and Grass
- Rotates through smelling like Glue, Oak Leaves, Granite, and Livestock.

Divine sources of magic taste/smell like approximations of these things. So divine based evocation is not paprika per se, but might be cumin?
>>
>>49368517
You're right, gods should be easy to kill, hell should be fun to walk through, dozens of planes with infinite space aren't enough, the smallest trinket being a quest hook isn't enough quest hooks, and multiple factions for players to choose from just confuses them.

Man I wish I played in your campaign.
>>
>>49368504, >>49368524
This is what I've been doing as well actually, letting the players imagination run wild with it as long as it fits the basic description of the spell.

We've had two Clerics, a Light and War Domain one; the light one had lots of brilliant flashes of light and gentle glowing, but the War one had stuff like battle drums and powerful glows accompanied by war cries and much less visual affects, emphasizing more the physicality of his deity.
The Wizard we had had lots of instant magic runes; formulae and equations appearing as he twisted energy into shaped that worked for his learning.
The Sorcerer had lots of slow gathering of raw power and energy from the environment, kind of like he "inhaled" energy which took the form of existing spells.
Warlocks were easy; I just made the magic look super evil. Lots of raw crackling power and glowing eyes and warped voices and belching hellfire and weird demonic runes appearing over the body and shit.
>>
>>49368517
Well yeah it was written with a lot of nearly impossible to kill enemies. It's second edition most things in the Monster Manual can turn you into paste. The only reason it doesn't work now is because the game is balanced so the players are fucking superheroes after 5th level.
>>
>>49368459
How would the rest of you guys handle an exorcism?
>>
>>49368603
No, it wasn't setting. The setting was brilliant. It was how it was PRESENTED that's a problem and actually just symptomatic of what other games were doing at the time.

I don't actually judge settings by fluff content because that's inane and stupid, seeing as that shit is all subjective.
I judge by presentation and mechanics, and I think presentation aside Planescape might be the most "flexible" D&D setting edition-wise since the mechanics of D&D planar stuff really doesn't have much to do with rules.

A good game of Planescape would probably feel like those Myth Incorporated books.
>>
>>49368603
Well you have to remember people forget there wasn't a time where you couldn't make Skippy the 3rd level Kobold god in game.
>>
>>49368459
It's going to be a 'burn the witch' type setting, so subtle where applicable.
>>
File: Untitled.png (5MB, 1400x1744px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
5MB, 1400x1744px
>>49368459
No matter how powerful the characters get, I like magic to feel mysterious and ancient, a force that will never truly be understood.
>>
>>49368500
I think it's called Velkynvelve? Any help?
>>
Level 8 Devotion Paladin here trying to figure out what to do for leveling up.

Setting is CoS. We are about to enter Strahd's castle. Character theme is a space marine librarian (leaning towards martial combat versus support). During a warp jump, warp beasts broke through the hull and steam poured in. When it cleared he found himself in Barovia.

Rolled stats are 20/8/14/7/14/16 w/ GWM feat. I mostly charge in and beat shit up.

Should I continue leveling pally or I was thinking going levels in sorc (wild magic). I could quicken spells or cantrips and wild magic surge might make sense for a librarian tapping into the plane.

Rest of the group: life cleric, thief rogue, wizard/fighter, pally/lock (6/3)
>>
>>49368459
Boy that Barbarian lady has nice thighs.
Why can't no-pants adventurers come into fashion again?
>>
>>49368500
Diskworld for the win
>>
>>49368614

I don't know about chanting, just because I feel like it would take too long for a six second round. But variations on crossing oneself that are appropriate for the setting is a cool idea. Will be using.
>>
>>49368459
I try to give the players an idea of the setting itself and let them come up with spell flavors on their own.
>>
File: image.png (5MB, 1398x1428px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
5MB, 1398x1428px
>>49368682
There's no battle map, just the regular map.
>>
>>49368648
That's a good point. The planescape books were mostly just, 'There's an infinite space for you to work in... But here's what you'll find in a few of those places.'
>>
>>49368604
I like this. I would do the same if my players didn't need the push to imaginate that kind of thing on their own.
>>
>>49368688
Because it's "not realistic" and "degrading to women"
>>
>>49368682
>>49368724
There's a scale on there, just match your battle grid to it.

And yes, it is very, very cramped.
>>
>>49368682
>>49368682
Unfortunately, there aren't any combat grids for the starting area

but if you're autismo like me you could always just go into paint and use the sizing guides to make your own grids
>>
File: 1473732576113.png (686KB, 500x633px) Image search: [Google]
1473732576113.png
686KB, 500x633px
How do you play your pirates, you sodly pack of ingrates?
>>
File: vevkynvelve.jpg (1MB, 3380x3598px) Image search: [Google]
vevkynvelve.jpg
1MB, 3380x3598px
>>49368746
I'm not that kind of autismo, but I did find a map of it.
>>
If you wanted to play an intelligent strategist/planner character, what class would you choose?
>>
I'm looking for ideas for cool Divine verbal and somatics. So far running on the setting appropriate version of crossing oneself and suchlike, combined with ground shaking, booming, etc.
>>
>>49368903
Bard or Battlemaster Fighter, for mechanics.

Literally anything you want, coupled with using strategies and planning. Be a badass Wizard Admiral. Be a clever Tactical Druid. The weirder the better.
>>
>>49368903
A Wizard fluffed as a warmage, or a Fighter/Paladin with higher than average INT.
>>
>>49368729
It needed a bit more actual hooks I think, and a lot less trying to be "tool cool for regular D&D" as was often popular among games at the time.
>>49368734
Kinda sucks when that happens.
>>49368735
While certainly not realistic (or even remotely practical), it ironically stems from a decade when women showing how fit and attractive they are was considered extremely empowering.

Of course the same decade also gave us hair with more volume then the average human male torso, so it was a toss up.
>>
>>49368903

I feel like if you do want a combat strategist you're gonna wanna take Combat Maneuvers. Definitely the one where you direct an ally to make an attack.
>>
>>49368903
Mastermind Rogue.
>>
>>49368753
I've done Viking-style pirates, Carribean-style pirates, Mediterranean-style pirates and interdimensional space pirates for D&D, JUST in this edition.
>>
>>49368686
Any thoughts?
>>
>>49369004
I have one, but it's impolite and disparages your choice of theme so I won't say it.
>>
>>49369020
Hah! Touche.
>>
>>49368686

I honestly have very little experience in the game but I'm unsure if dipping into Sorc for 3 levels for Metamagic would be very useful on Paladin. I could be wrong though, I don't really know exactly how spellcasty you guys are compared to Cleric or Warlock, who I think both benefit more from metamagic.
>>
File: Picture_Pegaso_75-070_1.jpg (52KB, 517x700px) Image search: [Google]
Picture_Pegaso_75-070_1.jpg
52KB, 517x700px
>>49368965
>While certainly not realistic (or even remotely practical)

Tell that to the Greeks.
>>
>>49369004
How exactly are you planning on fluffing all the OTHER abilities vanilla Space Marines have, like.say, bulletproof skin, two hearts, or, you know, BEING 2.5 METERS TALL?

And lest I forget, he better hope he never returns back to the 40th millenium, since he clearly wasn't paying attention to all those 'kill the Xenos wherever you find it' classes.
>>
>>49369067
he has a massive shield to protect his thighs with
>>
>>49369042
In a bit more constructive tones; playing a Devotion Pally on CoS is an excellent choice, and Pally's are awesome.
Why dilute it with Sorcerer simply because you feel the strange edition hold-over urge to multi-class? If it's because you're already bored, then that's fine though I'n guessing that won't fix the core problem for very long.

If it's because you heard on herr that it was the way to go, the only thing you should be taking on here without several heaping grains of salt with it are the resources posted in the Mega.
>>
>>49369067
The Greeks pulled that off with formation fighting, not skirmish combat.
And they STILL ended up wearing pants when they went north anyway; they used to think culturally it was the height of barbarism to wear pants (Rome was pretty warm before the climate shift that appeared near the end of it's Empire), but they ALL ended up wearing them anyway when they went north, shit was cold as fuck.
>>
>>49368978
I second this
>>
>>49368978
Mastermind is so overlooked.
>>
>>49368603
Yeah, because playing an adventure where the ending is literally your characters admitting that nothing can ever kill the Lady of Pain because she iz da greatest being evarrr is totally fun.
>>
>>49368603
Your framing of Planescape makes it sound like the worst when I know it's not. I get what you are going for, but if fails horribly.
>>
>>49369145
Because Heaven forbid the players aren't allowed to fuck with the cosmic keystones of the universe. That would be restricting their freedom, amirite?
>>
>>49369089
Race stats it is a reskinned Goliath. The racial helps with that as well. (Although I realize that it isn't quite as bulletproof).

The other races are a halfling, warforged, human, and dwarf. There was a begrudging truce with the dwarf due to the necessity of the situation.

>>49369100
I hadn't really planned that far ahead to be honest. I might just stick straight pally. If I went sorc it would be to convert high level slots into more low level slots or use quickened self-support spells like jump, bless, protection from good/evil, or even cantrips like booming blade or greenflame blade. (which AFAIK you can use GWM feat with).

It was just a thought to see what others thought.
>>
>>49369145, >>49369174
Neither of those things were my problem, actually.
>>
>>49369129
Given the fact that the no pants thing was kind of standard for Greeks and Roman's it's not exactly unfeasible to imagine that people would have fought skirmish style.

I'm just saying it's not completely unrealistic.

>>49369098
That shield ain't protecting those thighs. Too small.
>>
>>49369220
It isn't you are correct, just a little odd for the roughly late 14th century technology most D&D settings seem to have.
>>
I need an idea for a character, any ideas?
>>
>>49369136
What's so good about them?
>>
>>49369241
What do you want to play?
>>
>>49369241
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diogenes_of_Sinope
Play this asshole
>>
File: image.jpg (84KB, 564x752px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
84KB, 564x752px
>>
>>49369248
I kinda want to play a bard
>>
>>49369241
ranger that just lost his animal companion. Uses this as the motivation for favored enemy
>>
Oi, da fuck are your verbals and somatics like?
>>
>>49369277
Do it then. Bards are awesome.
You wasn't hit more stuff or focus more on the magical side of things?
>>
>>49369233
Why would you limit yourself to 14th century? This is an RPG. Besides I find pre-feudalistic society far more interesting than medieval Europe.
>>
>>49369241
Play a Wizard Gnome that had no direction or ambitions in life, so when he was kicked out of home by his parents he just joined the first group of people he met, constantly asking them what to do with his life.
Basically yourself.
>>
>>49369312
I don't, I was making basic assumptions based on the type of equipment available for characters and the technology available of a "standard" type of D&D setting.

I've done weirder stuff before though. And
>>
>>49369220
>Too small.
it's covering most of his thigh even while standing stock fucking straight
>>
>>49369311
magical side of things, I just need a good character background
>>
>>49369243
You get great features for espionage like perfectly mimicking voices right away, along with can grant advantage to allies within 30ft as a bonus action. Their ribbon is like Battlemaster but can out dangerous targets that wouldn't look like it. They can use their reaction to force a creature to hit another being used as half cover. The 17th level is weak, but only because it's so narrow - can lie to thought reading spells and such.
>>
>>49369145
Yeah, having a game where the players endeavor to do something other than go full murderhobo on the strongest thing they can find does sound fun.
>>
>>49369330
I always went under the assumption that D&D was more of a Conan-esque setting than anything else, mostly because of statements from Gygax and the whole barbarians as a class thing, but in that instance I get were you're coming from.

>>49369335
Only joking love.
>>
>>49369347
Think of an interesting method of making music, that isn't particularly a burden to always have on you.

I have always wanted to play a beat boxing, whistling, or tap dancing bard.
>>
>>49369391
It may have been intended that way by some (especially considering when it was made originally), but neither Greyhawk nor FR or Dragonlance really much resemble the Hyborian Age in style and execution.
>>
>>49368588

>Divine Enchantment.
>Tastes like saccharine.
>>
>>49369447
Maybe but then again you have to consider that the Hyborian Age was nothing more than a mismatch of a lot of cultures and technologies in the same area. There are 17th century pirates next to Greek city states, and 15th century kingdoms.
>>
>>49369506
I know, but "classic" D&D settings even when they have differing cultures tend to be mildly more uniform.

Only mildly though.
In hyper-detailed settings like FR the most common thing you can usually that all the cultures share is that they all seem to have pretty decently advantage metallurgical skills regardless of whatever other civilization they might look like.
>>
>>49369485

>No no, of course I totally trust and love you, divine tool #4484793
>I mean Cleric Dave
>Of course I know all your names, faithful servant.
>No, I didn't just have an angel look it up for me.
>Stop asking questions and smite damnit.
>>
File: avolakia.png (164KB, 500x797px) Image search: [Google]
avolakia.png
164KB, 500x797px
Posted in the last thread, still curious.
How would I convert these guys over?
http://www.realmshelps.net/monsters/block/Avolakia
>>
>>49369908
I don't think I'd change too much actually.
Maybe give it more HP, drop it's AC a bit, drop it's attack score a bit, , give it Resistance to nonmagical weapons except for fire and acid?
>>
How would you represent a 3-dex character?
>>
>>49370046

In chronic pain from arthritis or something.
>>
File: image.png (383KB, 540x418px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
383KB, 540x418px
>>49368459
My group is running a gestalt game.
Im a bard/fighter.
We handle initiative as doing it at the start of every round, which means certain effects (like capstone abilities) will activate far more often.
We are currently only level 3, meaning my character is bard3 fighter3.

Is it worth it to dip one or more levels into the revised ranger? If so, which class should I shaft for it?
>>
What's your go-to resource for campaign music, fellow anons?
>>
File: avolaki.png (99KB, 350x829px) Image search: [Google]
avolaki.png
99KB, 350x829px
>>49369908
Something like this?
>>
>>49370173
Sexy. Enervation isn't a spell anymore, though--would an equivalent be a 3/day Con save or gain level of exhaustion?
>>
>>49370173
>>49370196
And I hate to be that guy, but it's avolakia, ending with an "a"
>>
I missed all of the new UA ranger discussion

what do you guys think?
>>
>>49369186

Go Warlock for the separate short rest spell slots which can share both your spell lists, and vice versa with your pally slots.

Do Undying Pact, the Emprah is your pact lord.
>>
>>49370251
It's good.
>>
>>49370251
It's not bad, definitely better than the original. Still a few hang ups here and there but nothing that makes it bad.
>>
I'm going to play D&D for the first time with a real character tonight. What alignment would stealing your former employer's weapons because they didn't pay you and threatening to cut of a goblin's fingers to save some villagers fit in?
>>
>>49370352
Chaotic good to chaotic neutral.
>>
>>49370352
Don't fall into the trap of thinking about actions in terms of alignments. Focus on whether or not your character would do such things and what the possible consequences would be.
>>
>>49370352
Alignment isn't about what you do, its about who you are.
>>
File: Fantasy Armor.jpg (185KB, 1605x1056px) Image search: [Google]
Fantasy Armor.jpg
185KB, 1605x1056px
>>49369067
>>
>>49368978
What even is a Mastermind Rogue?
>>
>Desperately want to play in a game
>The character concept I have is best represented as a Bladelock
>tfw my options are suck a DM's dick so they make bladelocks good, run my own game with houserules and run a DMPC, or suffer in silence
Feels bad man.
>>
File: Budai.jpg (89KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Budai.jpg
89KB, 1200x1200px
Would you have objections to a party member portraying a rotund and jolly monk with far more dexterity than their appearance would beget?
>>
Stupid question: How do people usually make custom character sheets? Just slapping shit together in photoshop? I can never find one I'm happy with, and I'm sick of having like 6 pages for my character's shit.
>>
>>49370611
Or play an eldritch knight...
>>
>>49370076
How does multiclassing work with gestalt characters?
>>
>>49370666
I've considered both that and Bladesinger, Satan. Bladelock is the best fluffwise, with mechanics to support it.

All Bladelocks really need to compete are shield proficiency (or a facsimile), proficiency in concentration saves, and the ability to use their pact weapon as an implement.
>>
>>49368686
Just go straight pally, you only gave two more levels in cos
>>
>>49370691
What's your char concept exactly, anon?
>>
Getting ready to play Curse of Strahd (game starts next week) and we have a good idea about the characters in it:
Eladrin Fighter Knight of the Order
Tiefling Warlock (no clue what pact or background)
Half-Elf War Cleric Acolyte
Half-Elf Rogue (Assassin) Urchin
Bard (no race, college or background known to me yet)
Paladin (same as the bard)

I'm the Eladrin Fighter and I'm not sure what I should do for my Archetype. Thinking either PDK or EK. Thoughts?
>>
>>49370246
My GM rolls in the open so it's not possible for him to do this to me.
>>
>>49370698
Half-Elf noble bastard decides to get in touch with daddy, does so but basically gets told 'hey, son, I love you and all, but you're an embarrassment and we're disavowing you.' He sulks for a bit, and ends up making a pact with an Archfey in a dream. So now he travels doing mercenary shit, magic and swordplay and such. The Archfey (I'm calling her the Twilight Queen until something better and dream-related shows up) basically mandates that he nurture and pursue his dream, which is standard CG rebellion against the establishment. I got the idea from Shadowrun mentor-spirits.

EK or Bladesinger would work mechanically, but I like the idea that his powers aren't really his, just a gift from someone with similar interests. Plus, I don't think any class but Warlock gets spells like Armor of Agathys and Hellish Rebuke, which are pretty boss for a gish.
>>
>>49370698
edgy anime magic demon swordsman with a black katana he summons to his hand
>>
>>49370734
Well PDK is shit and EK would benefit from the eladrin stats
>>
>>49370734
purple dragon knight is garbage tier
>>
>>49370734
Wait, PDK?
>>
>>49370813
>>49370816
Nice.

Yeah, I think Bladelock is your best option. In my experience Bladelock doesn't feel weak as long as you don't compare it to a regular warlock (your party won't have another warlock, right?), so you'll probably be fine even if your GM doesn't change anything for you.
>>
File: 1467610276799.jpg (181KB, 800x1334px) Image search: [Google]
1467610276799.jpg
181KB, 800x1334px
>>49370826
Alright, I think I'll go that route then.

Any specific feats I should take? I really only want to take one and the DM has banned Lucky but says all the others from the PHB and the UA on feats are okay.
>>
>>49370869
I'd be lying if I said the mechanics didn't have an influence on the fluff. I guess I'll just have to resist the temptation to spam eldritch blast at everything rather than stabbing - I'd be stupid to take anything else for a ranged attack anyways.
>>
I want to make an atheist science edgelord. Like Ed from FMA. Or Reddit. Is there some kinda alchemy homebrew out there? I was considering transmutation wizard as well but I feel it'll be harder to rationalize literal magic as opposed to "magic but with some non-magical logic behind it", which is how alchemy often appears.
>>
>>49370907
Yeah I know how that feels. I don't consider myself a minmaxer but intentionally taking a weaker option to fulfill a character idea always feels bad.
>>
>>49370901
If DM is cool with multiclassing, start as a fighter to get your proficiency in CON and shields.
Warcaster gives advantage on concentration checks, which you'll love if you keep hex up all day (which you will be doing a lot)
>>
>>49370901
Alert is always good and you might want Ritual Caster if your party doesn't have a wizard. Otherwise, EKs need three stats (Str/Dex and Con and Int) so stats might be a better bet
>>
>>49370910
I saw a homebrew class floating around for a pathfinder-style alchemist. I also made an engineer class myself, based on the warlock but much more martial. I also did a simpler thing and made an alchemist archetype for the rogue: http://pastebin.com/Jmxs7gj9

>>49370938
Honestly, I only really want the ability to use a shield. I was kicking around the idea of an invocation that lets you use an arcane implement as a shield (as in +2 AC, not the spell). Feels more magicky than a proper shield, and lets you cast as well. Basically half of Moderately Armored and 1/3 of War Caster, easily worth an invocation.
>>
>>49370958
Guess what I forgot to upload with that post? Warning: probably overpowered as shit.
>>
File: When You Allow Every Splat.png (1MB, 754x764px) Image search: [Google]
When You Allow Every Splat.png
1MB, 754x764px
>>49370941
>>49370942
No, no multiclassing is allowed.

I have a 16 STR, 17 DEX, 15 CON, 15 INT, 14 WIS and 14 CHA because the DM allowed rerolling 1s since they want a heroic like game but said that they are not pulling any stops in the game.

Might pick up Resilient (Intelligence) and do stat bumps from there. Thoughts?
>>
>>49371097
Scratch that, going to get War Caster and stat bumps from there.
>>
>>49371097
I was gonna say. Resilient (Int) is pretty useless since as far as I know the only Int save that has been printed is Intellect Devourer related.
>>
>>49371097
Why would you get Int instead of Dex on resilient?
>>
>>49371097
Before getting warcaster see if your dm is going to even be anal about free hands and holding arcane focus
>>
File: p872678258-3[1].jpg (180KB, 580x404px) Image search: [Google]
p872678258-3[1].jpg
180KB, 580x404px
>>49368724
Why do maps in D&D always feel so cramped. I had this issue with some premade Pathfinder campaigns, and I've noticed the same thing when I switched to 5e. It feels like every fight happens in a cramped five foot wide hallway with no room to maneuver or do anything other than attack whomever is in front of you.

I've started just treating a lot of maps as though they are all 1sq=10 feet.
>>
My gf is playing a male pc who is in love with female npc run by me male dm
>>
>>49371178
It's really a matter of perspective. a 5' hallway isn't really cramped, particularly if it's in a private building like a home. A medium creature can control about that much space in combat, hence the whole 'takes up that much room' misconception. In reality, 2 or even 3 medium creatures could fit semi-comfortably in a 5' square, though they couldn't effectively fight that way due to limited mobility.

This doesn't solve the issue, I know.
>>
>>49371178
>20 ft. long beds
>>
>>49371201
>Never having had a Chondothan King size bed
>>
>>49370942
I picked Alert as my human variant feat when we started playing 5e, and I can't imagine not having it now! Regular 20+ initiative rolls are pretty useful when you're a monk (lol, I know...), and can trip/stun shit. The "ignore surprise round" thing is useful AF too, I've taken out one or two dudes before they've started ambushing us a couple of times now.

Only drawback I can think of is going down and getting healed back up, your turn is already passed in the initiative order and thus wasted. If something goes on without your knowledge (slight group split etc.) your turn will also pass without you being able to react.

tl;dr: Alert gud feat.
>>
How do you make magic feel a rare, scary , unknown force when at least half your party is going to have access to magic of some sort , much of which they can spam cast as cantrips?

I always struggle with this. The best way to make something have that feeling is by limiting its power and leaving it an unknown. We never know for example in Lord of the Rings the true power of Gandalf , so magic remains a mysterious thing and even him casting heat metal seems incredible and terrifying.

Settings like Dark Sun work as well where there's a massive risk in playing a caster class in the world hating you and you have to choose between the evil act of defiling the world or limit the power of your magic by preserving.

But in generic fantasy 5E world where everybody has easy access to spells how do you do this?
>>
>>49371389
You can't without restricting magic classes. Our DM recently took us to a magical elf town where fields were being tilled by self moving tools and other such things. I think they were expecting us to be impressed and drawn into this magical place where magic has solved every problem, but the wizard has been casting mould earth every ten minutes for the entire campaign.
>>
I'm currently playing an illusion wizard, doing all the control for my friends.

I've been slightly tempted to try a barbarian. What is the most smash and fuck class in the game? Has anyone crunched out the most absurd builds for damage yet? Can anyone please tell me what melee builds can be really strong?
>>
>>49368588
Bard spells:
Taste like chicken, smells like tuna.
>>
>>49371468
High strength barbarian with great weapon mastery feat is pretty fun - power attack on every attack (-5 to hit, +10 damage), use reckless attack to give yourself advantage, and maybe even take a level in fighter to get the heavy weapon fighting style (rerolls 1+2s)
>>
>>49369259
Lol, fapping in public?
"I don't need society"
>>
File: gg.jpg (8KB, 259x194px) Image search: [Google]
gg.jpg
8KB, 259x194px
>>49369347
>>
File: 720titlescreen.png (899KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
720titlescreen.png
899KB, 1280x720px
>>49371568
Requires multiclassing though.
>>
>>49371419
Yeah that's the type of shit I do as a DM and nobody cares about because magic is meaningless.

I got to thinking that the only ways to do it are to either introduce a horrible magical unknown ( eldritch horrors that feed on magic) or just crank the high fantasy to 11, every castle floats and has an army of flying soldiers protecting it ( because how useless is a grounded castle against a dragon attack anyway) , moving between planes is as easy as getting on the subway so cities are constantly full of planar visitors , dwarven citadels are literally animated mountain cities that grind along swallowing up the earth / other cities.

But that's not really in the scope of the traditional fantasy I like to play either and is kinda retarded.
>>
>>49370966
It's not nearly as bad as that other engineer homebrew that has gone around in this respect, but there's still a lot of things to sort through to be able to tell if it's really overpowered or not. I like the core of the class enough that I would probably rip off some ideas from it if I ever wanted to make an artificer, but after that you kind of lose me
>>
>>49371576
Not necessarily, "straight" bard, character flaw is alcoholic/addict, likes fighting - isn't necessarily good at it though.
>>
>>49369347
Drummer from a slave galley that accidentally found out that particular sequences produce magical effects, thus winning freedom for himself and the rest
>>
Is there any place in 5th edition for the equivalent of the Intelligent Blademaster feat? For reference, that let you make melee weapon attacks using Intelligence.
>>
File: d&d_covers-2-3-4-5.jpg (450KB, 1758x582px) Image search: [Google]
d&d_covers-2-3-4-5.jpg
450KB, 1758x582px
>>49368459
>Classic Art Edition

I don't know how I feel about the decline.
>>
>>49371682
I don't think I'd want that in any edition of DnD. It's one thing to not focus or or prioritize a stat, but to completely replace one is just bullshit
>>
>>49371682
Nope
>>
>>49371586
When the PCs are supposed to be very powerful compared to most other characters, or at least have that potential, magic won't be very impressive singularly. However, I would still be very impressed at a wholly magical society, something that would require a large amount of PC-level magic power is not something to ignore. But some players will, which means only Eberron-level shit will be notable.
>>
>>49371700
I know it has limitations, but that is basically what shillelagh does.
>>
>>49371710
Shillelagh is only for d8s.

You'll make GFB the ultimate attack
>>
>>49370385
I based my character on a random guard I got to play in a game I was spectating so I kind of wanted to let my actions then define this character.

>>49370372
Chaotic good sounds about right for what I want.
>>
>>49371696
5e's books are a different style to the older versions but at least they look good. That 4e art is trash.
>>
>>49371723
What about something like this?

Divining Blade
Divination cantrip
Casting time: 1 bonus action
Range: self
Components: S
Duration: Instantaneous

A momentary flash of insight determines the best place for your attack. Until the start of your next turn, you may use your spellcasting stat for melee weapon attacks.

That would take up one of your cantrip choices, and remove bonus action options.
>>
Fuck the haters, planescaoe was awesome.

Having limits built into your setting, and challenges to overcome makes it great, not worse.
>>
>>49371879
It's like shilelagh, except it's worse.
>>
>>49370261
I hope you mean undying light pact, anon.
>>
>>49371934
And yet you've never ran it.
>>
>>49372238
And?
>>
>>49372316
You're reaffirming exactly what was discussed, that while Planescape was in-fact "awesome" nearly nobody actually played it and are completely obvious to its substantial flaws.
>>
>>49372334
I have played it though.
>>
>>49372361
You played a video game Anon.
>>
The fighter in my party has just multiclassed into barbarian. Problem is, he can't rage with heavy armor and has 11 Dexterity. For now he's going by with 13 AC, his armor was taken away anyhow, but I wanted to think of a way to help him there. What if after raging in heavy armor, he gains a level of exhaustion? Would that balance it out? What if I limit it to chain mail or splint at the most?
>>
>>49372368
That too, but I've played the actual setting in a tabletop gave
>>
>>49372374
Ask him if he wants to "retrain" to "convert" his fighter levels into barbarian levels.
>>
How often should the party be low resting as a guideline?

I mean I can hardly expect the party to push on get low health but they shouldn't be taking naps every time they get into a fight.

The common wisdom is to try to discourage the players from resting with wandering monsters or resetting all the puzzles and traps the next day. But seriously nuts to that, I'm not going to redone all that.

Just what's a good guide line?
>>
Familiars are kind of dumb now. And by kind of I mean 4 Int and under dumb. Why are these strange celestial, fey and fiend spirits so into pretending to be critters anyway? I'd call it suspicious if they weren't so dumb.
>>
>>49372402
just dont allow more than 1 maybe 2 short rests a day max
>>
>>49372459
>Why are these strange celestial, fey and fiend spirits so into pretending to be critters anyway?
Condition for being allowed to take a real material form? Summoning an outsider for any significant length of time is beyond most low-level casters, and they could always be banished or dispelled.
>>
>>49372402
Let them rest as often as they want. But give them a sense of urgency. A deadline by which they have to have completed the task. If they dilly dally too long then all the treasure is gone from the hideout. Relocated because word got to the bad guys faster than the party took to get there. The princess raped and sold, the prisoners executed.

> the wizard tells you you have to retrieve the Dragon egg before it hatches. By his estimate there is less than a week time left, and the travel alone would eat up over half of it.

Let time be a resource that players are aware of and have to manage carefully.
>>
>>49371812
A whole lot of the 5e art (for monsters, at least), is just as trash as 4e. But at least it isn't Wayne-Reynolds-Pathfinder-iconic-class-characters trash. All those fucking greeblies strapped onto characters' clothing/armor, while apparently nobody on the prime material plane has ever heard of a backpack.
>>
>>49369047
It's useful but takes more than 3 levels to be worthwhile. Quicken Green-Flame Blade or Booming Blade gives a paladin a 3rd chance to divine smite on a turn.
>>
>>49372459
>>49372549
Alternatively: that's a *better* form than they have "naturally". Imps and pixies are improved familiars, the spirits the normal version of Find Familiar deals with might be too minor to have much of a form at all (or be very intelligent).
>>
>>49368735
you said it like it's not true.
Yes personally i would put hide/fur armors on barbarians that don't really cover them well, but it that's gonna happen you gonna have to stare also a some male tongs if you want perverted anime female armours
>>
>>49372238
Would it really be too much to ask for WotC to do "editionless" campaign setting books that remain evergreen through edition changes?
>>
>>49371812
>>49372570
The bad MM art is shared with older editions. 4e has the worst art of an RPG with a budget I have ever seen, with 3.5 a close second. It's not like fantasy art was suddenly bad, so I'm not sure how it even happened.
>>
>>49368903
anything you want, just because you're a barbarian doesn't mean you can't be an former tribe chieftain who used flanking manouvers and militia strategies when he used to raid the landscape.
>>
>>49372671
Not really, they wouldn't really be usable as campaign settings then but rather Sanderson novels.
>>
>>49369067
which were conquered by the romans and any Alexander.
>>
>>49372687
The Zendikar art book with the Planeshift pdf is actually pretty decent. It gives just enough info to inspire stuff and let you know how the world works. That's really all I ask. Then the edition-specific rules would fit in a DMG or PHB in a page or two, like defiling/preserving or dragonmarks.
>>
>>49372710
You must really hate your DM.
>>
>>49369145
Lady of Pain is pretty much D&D's Caine, and you still see people playing and enjoying Vampire, so yeah, I think it's okay. Also remember the Lady is not supposed to be an antagonist or ally, not even a narrative device (no, fuck that Vecna campaign) but more of a background thing, kinda like the Dark Powers of Ravenloft...they're there just to amplify the mystery, the sense of the unknown. I'd love to do some Planescape stuff in 5e, here in my city we're planning a big event based on the outer planes (we're calling it "the planeswalker guide to the multiverse") but for a "real" planescape game, set on sigil and stuff, you need really prepared players, so I haven't been able to do one.
>>
>>49371097
Get resilient (Dex) first if you want saving throw proficiency since it's much more relevant.
Then comes Resilient (Wis).

Int and Cha saves almost never happen.
>>
>>49369391
literally in no way FR has any resemblance to Hyboria. The closest thing to that is the Goliath Races and in 5e they're depicted as usually fully clothed in hid armor/furs
>>
>>49371201
>1 square equals 5 feet
>>
>>49372726
>you need really prepared players
That's pretty lenient, I wouldn't let any players that haven't memorized the box set even near my Planescape game, preferably they'd have also memorized "On Hallowed Ground" and "The Factol's Manifesto" too.
>>
>>49372553
Ha

First game I ever run actually had you have 72 hours to save the world set up (it was lobg weekend thing and I had just watch a lot of cop movies ).

The whole party complainted bitter about it. I would've kept doing it but I ran out of explanation why they were always on a time limit.

This was back in 4e. Which Reston wasn't that big an issue actually because
>>
>>49372722
I am the DM.
>>
>>49372764
Don't know if its bait but I'd agree with that.
Planescapes games DO get kinda "philosophical".
>>
>>49372833
Y-Yeah, "philosophical". More like political, people can't help but inject their college liberal beliefs into the game.
>>
>>49371178
but nowhere in that map you're going to fight in a 5 ft wide area, and i know this because i have dmed it.
>>
My only previous experience with /tg/s was a pathfinder session with a group i really don't see anymore, had a lot of fun even when i found PF pretty number-heavy (that damned character sheet, man)
I want to try 5E, but i really don't have a group atm and if i did, surely should be the one introducing them to RPG's so probably i'll have to DM (thing i've never done)
So basically, there's some 5e "choose your own adventure" material that i could play solo to learn before i try to get a group of people into banding together?
for now i've only read the basic Player rules, gonna read the basic DM rules now
>>
>>49373097
Well, you could just play one of the shorter boxed adventures by yourself, as both DM and one or more of the characters. I don't imagine it would be too exciting but if you're just looking to get a feel for the way the game works, it might help you. Is that what you're after?
>>
>>49368459
So how should i go about finding a group to play for the first time?

Just gotten into DnD, lurked this board for a while, read the PHB etc.
>>
>>49370641

Adobe Acrobat pro with some Photoshop/GIMP for help

I like the /tg/ sheets and the tall glass of current standard v1.4 from reddit
>>
Are there any good collections of roll20 resources out there?
>>
>>49371696

I like the 5E rule set the most and yet I fucking despise the art they use for 5E. I liked to just flip through the pages of the previous editions just to look at the art. 5E I just wish the shit wasn't even there.
>>
Hey dudes. Anyone find a good rip of the Storm King's Thunder DM maps for Nightstone and Dripping Caves yet?

Also, if anyone picked up the Roll20 STK module and can create an extra game & set me as a DM so I can grab some handouts, Id really appreciate the help.
>>
>>49373296

WotC has a store locator where you can find stores that run Adventurers League. You might find unofficial games their too.

Reddit has /r/lfg which also lists other alternative resources for finding games/groups.

Or you buy the Starter set and convince your friends to try playing
>>
>>49373177
not exactly. i reference the choose your own adventure style because i would look for a book that gives me different outcomes without i knowing them beforehand, just like "if you do or roll that, go to X page" so i can try multiple paths
>>
>>49371696
Blame digital artists.
Also the increasing proliferation of Chris Metzen-inspired "stylized" (read; ridiculously oversized and unrealistic looking) artists due to the popularity of WoW.
>>49371934
You have no idea what you're talking about, otherwise you wouldn't be talking about the "limits" of the setting, which was never a problem or a factor at all.
>>49372570
That dude's art has always annoyed the shit out of me.
>>49373378
Art is expensive and WotC is cheap.
>>
File: The-flying-guillotine.jpg (21KB, 436x249px) Image search: [Google]
The-flying-guillotine.jpg
21KB, 436x249px
So my PCs wandered into goblin territory, which in this setting is not!China, and I was kind of free-associating and including stuff from cheesy 70's kung-fu movies, and now I need a way to handle a flying guillotine in 5e.
>>
>>49373458
Thanks. Will try the WotC store but othewise i don't have much free time because of work and i live in Germany so finding a group will be harder.
>>
>>49370678
The first two classes progress as it would if you were doing both class as your first one.
Any further classes obey multiclassing rules.

Does that matter much, though?
>>
>>49368459
> So how does your magic sound/taste/feel/look, anon?

I work with my players, flavoring as I see fit or just reiterating however they described it.

The Wild Mage Sorc in our group likes everything to have a a colorful, wispy spray to it. Also, whatever spell he casts has an influence on how his Wild Magic manifests.

The Bard always has purple to red notes flit about when he casts a spell.

The Arcane Trickster is super utilitarian, and has minimal particle effects, if any.

My players are boring.
>>
>>49371696
>left to right

1 > 2 = 4 > 3
>>
File: This is no face of mercy.jpg (51KB, 670x900px) Image search: [Google]
This is no face of mercy.jpg
51KB, 670x900px
> Be beastmaster ranger
> Pick ape as my companion
> He has intelligence 6
> Have an idea
> Give him proficiency in investigation and religion.
> On level 4, improve his intelligence by 2
> On level 8, do it again
> My animal companion is now actually smarter than the party's paladin and more educated in the secrets of the faith.
> Meet Harambe de Torquemada, world's finest monkey inquisitor
>>
>>49372726
>>49368603
>>49368517
AD&D Planescape had sort of the same problem as Numenera - it's a good *idea* for a game, but in practice it requires so much work on the DM's part that the DM could have just saved money on books by homebrewing everything.

Also, everything the players did required them to play a game of mother-may-I with the DM, more so than in other RPGs. You couldn't go to a plane unless you had knowledge of a gate, knowledge of what the key was, and the actual key. How did the players know if they had any of these things? Total DM fiat. Will the gate deposit you in the correct part of the plane you want to visit? Again, total DM fiat, and this is worse than it sounds because of Planescape's problem with overland travel: even if you're traveling within a single plane, the excess of infinite spaces made overland travel literally impossible. If you're in one gate-town in the Outlands and you need to get to a different one, you can't just walk, because the Outlands are infinite in area even though they have a center and an edge. It's like that everywhere - each layer of each plane usually has some kind of infinite spatial dimension going on. An infinite area sounds like infinite opportunities for adventure, but really it means infinitely long stretches of nothingness in between the finite number of things to do and places worth visiting.
>>
I made a homebrew based on the only good thing a Pathfinder barbarian can do.

>Path of the Witch Hunter
From the darkest corners of the world, these barbarians are feral and wary - a combination that fears magic with strong fight as opposed to flight instincts.

>Superstitious
At 3rd level, you have advantage on saving throws against spells and other magical effects. If you fail a saving throw against a spell or magical effect while raging, you can end your rage and choose to succeed instead.

>Eater of Magic
At 6th level, you can consume magic to revitalize yourself. When a spell attack roll against you misses, you gain temporary hit points equal to the spell’s level (minimum 1) + your Constitution modifier.

>Come and Get Me
At 10th level your are able to react to an attack faster than the attacker can make an attack. When you damage a creature while attack recklessly and raging, you can make an opportunity attack against attacks made by that creature until you next turn. The opportunity attack is made after the creature declares its attack but before the attack is made, the opportunity attack is made without using your reaction.

>Spell Sunder
At 14th level, you can cast counterspell and dispel magic at will. Your spellcasting ability is Constitution for these spells.
>>
>>49373594

You could play online through roll20 or Fantasy Grounds.
>>
>>49373936
> Dispel magic and counterspell at will
This is really powerful. Maybe too powerful.
>>
>>49373936
Come and Get Me is straight-up broken and messes up the action economy for no good reason. The other three abilities are too narrow - very seldom does a monster actually cast a spell at you. Compare that to being a barbearian and having resistance to almost everything, or the high-risk-high-reward gambit of berserking.
>>
>>49373816
Put me in the screencap please
>>
>>49373838
Imagine the number pi, as represented in the decimal, base ten system. Let's say you're mapping the outlands you create, based on the number pi's digits, assigned in order in an infinite grid. Every 9 is a city, or gate town, every 8 a mountain, every 7 a field, and so on.

There are an infinite number of sequences contained within pi. In fact, for any given sequence of numbers, you can find it somewhere contained within pi. This means that in this infinite map of the outlands you're making, somewhere there exists a series of locations that meets exactly the criteria you need.

Alternatively, you could generate the outlands based in another infinite number. Maybe one that alternates between a hundred zeros in a row, and a 1, then another hundred zeros, and a two, and so on. That's your choice for your campaign, to have the environment be so barren.

The point of this stupid rant is that not all infinities are the same. They have different characteristics, and if you're choosing to represent it as boring and barren, that's your fault and not the setting.
>>
>>49373972
Yeah that definitely needs a limit. Something like Con mod times per day to form a shared pool or once per short rest each.
>>
Everything my players have done have been pretty mundane in terms of adventure. What's a good fantastical journey / quest / adventure my players should go through next?

10th level, large balanced party with a bevy of decent magical items (Berserker, Lore master, Life Cleric, Hunter, Arcane Trickster, Wild Mage, Moon Druid).
>>
>>49374140
>berserker
he must hate himself
>>
>>49373972
You can't do it while raging, so it's mostly something you do to permanent effects out and about.

>>49374011
Come and get me just means a creature you hit with an attack can't attack back without exchanging blows, so it forces a DM to adjust the creature tactics and position to avoid giving the barbarian opportunity attacks.

>monsters don't cast spells
But the worst use magical effects besides damage still (like basilisks, beholders, dragons, etc) That is what it's designed to survive.
>>
>>49373936
>Attacks that don't cost actions or reactions
>At will counter spells

No.

At will spell features should generally be level 1. Occasionally level 2.

And you need to read up on subverting called the action economy.
>>
>>49374140
Actually, he's the number one damage dealer in the group, usually roleplayer MVP, and we don't have any grognards at the table. For the most part, everyone is pretty much a normie.

Not only do we play D&D, but we have *fun*.
>>
>>49373816
Good job. In a few generations your campaign setting will have been completely overtaken by the apes, and then you maniacs will have finally done it.
>>
>>49374175
They're pretty narrow use spells, and the free reactions can only target something damaged by the barbarian.
>>
>>49374221
Counter spell is not narrow use. Dispel magic is not narrow use.
>>
>>49374121
There's a difference between a sequence of numbers and a sequence of digits. Pi doesn't have every number inside it because each digit is in a particular decimal place and represents a particular quantity. It's only one number. And those infinitely various digits are not guaranteed to have a particular trait you're looking for - most importantly, none of them is going to be the final digit.

And when people travel, most of the time they're not looking for a general set of criteria; they're looking for a specific unique person or place. Even if a theoretical DM had an infinite unique sequence of random encounters to throw at players as they try to Zeno's Paradox their way across the Outlands (which would simply never happen, both because no DM has that kind of unlimited output and because players know not to attempt this in the first place,) the point remains that they're never going to reach their destination.
>>
>>49374190
>nd we don't have any grognards at the table. For the most part, everyone is pretty much a normie.
What does this have to do with anything? No one asked you about this, really.
>>
>>49374234
>spell can only do one thing with no other interpretation
Do tell, what is the expanded use of these spells?
>>
>>49374289
>>49374166

>berserker
>he must hate himself

Why would he hate himself?
>>
>>49374236
You don't get it. In your silly example, the Dm if arbitrarily choosing for the specific PC destination to be an infinite distance away from the PCs.

It doesn't have to be that way, and thinking it does is a personal autism problem.

Again, take pi. It is infinite in length when expressed decimally, but the number of digits between the first and second 9s in it is finite.
>>
>>49374310
because he's playing one of the worst barbarian options in the game
bonus action to attack for 1 minute for 1 level of exhaustion is fucking rancid man
I hate battleragers more, but animal path barbarians are so much better than berserkers
>>
>>49374171
"Come and get me" is a source of free attacks without any kind of action or reaction associated with them, in an edition where that is an enormous deal. It also completely invalidates what is supposed to be the barbarian's main balancing factor: he gets hit a lot. With this feature, you can't even attack the barbarian without getting a totally unfair series of attacks in return.

In short, the whole idea is garbage and you should throw it away. Not only does it break the rules into pieces for no good reason, but it doesn't even fit the theme. A dedicated mage-slayer shouldn't have an ability that foils only melee attacks.
>>
>>49374310
>Why would he hate himself?
Because berserker sucks. And this has nothing to do with grognards or normies.
>>
>>49374291
>>49374291
Interfering with every spell in the game.

Counter spell stop healing, prevent damage, end escape, and avert magical reinforcements being summoned. To name only four. And it's not like your class is gonna use its reaction for anything else.

Dispel magic can end illusions, destroy magical traps, stop beguilements, and interact with most other magical effects.
>>
>>49374327
>because he's playing one of the worst barbarian options in the game

One of. Out of 3. You hate battleragers more, so in your opinion he's playing one of two archetypes YOU hate, out of 3 available archetypes.

Yeah, like I said, no grognards.
>>
>>49374379
>grognards
that's not even appropriate because of how bad berserkers/battlerages are
Animal barbarians get utility and are better at combat, versus berserkers/battleragers who are terrible at combat
>>
>>49374327
The flavor of worshiping animal totems is lame, though. If I wanted to be a special snowflake who loved animal spirits and the delicate beauty of nature, I'd be a druid or a ranger. I want to play a big idiot with anger management issues.

And people are unduly afraid of gaining levels of exhaustion. A barbarian can usually get two levels of exhaustion without it being a big deal, and almost all campaigns use less than the recommended number of encounters per day because this isn't the 70's and players do things other than delving nonstop into hundred-room-long dungeons. Outdoors or in a city, you're probably going to have one encounter every couple of days at the most.
>>
>>49372374
>Barbarian
>11 Dex
For what reason
>>
>>49374410
>Animal barbarians get utility and are better at combat, versus berserkers/battleragers who are terrible at combat

Put a berserker up against a totem barbarian, 1v1, and ask them to determine who is better at combat. Run the numbers.
>>
>>49374313
In some circumstances. You might dictate that a particular landmark in the right corner of the Outlands is a finite distance away from the nearest gate-town, but if the Outlands has an infinite circumference and the gate-towns are evenly spaced a finite distance from the edges, it follows that the gate-towns themselves are an infinite distance apart. There are plenty of other examples where the distance between two landmarks is explicitly infinite or otherwise insurmountable.

In Eberron there's a thing called the Traveler's Curse that fucks with time and space on the continent of Xen'drik, basically ensuring that nobody gets where they're going without the DM's special permission, because it's supposed to be a scary unexplored continent that the players are discouraged from going into. In Planescape it's like the entire cosmos is under that curse. It's insane and pointless.
>>
>>49374414
Man you can fluff them other ways than "I'm a guy who loves and worships nature spirits"

>>49374454
At what level? Any weapon restrictions? Feats? Stats?
At 20th level animal barbarian could just be a total dick, and continuously run away because it's faster (3rd elk feature, +15 ft to speed when raging), hide, then come back to surprise the berserker, then run away again, letting the animal barbarian win
>>
>>49371696
I know this is bait but 5e's is objectively best. There is no other argument.
>>
>>49374607
You can fluff anything as anything, but doing so is really cheesy. I could say that my fighter is actually a wizard who's mastered uncounterable spells that simulate sword blows and are immune to countering and antimagic zones, but I wouldn't because that's dumb.

An animal totem barbarian is a barbarian with spiritual beliefs based around animal totems. I can't believe I have to explain that to you.
>>
File: reaching.gif (284KB, 500x272px) Image search: [Google]
reaching.gif
284KB, 500x272px
>>49374607
> this one shitty scenario.

Literally every other discussion of class and build effectiveness comes down to DPR comparisons, and you show up with this gimmick.

> The guy that gets Danger Sense can just spend the rest of his life running and hiding to surprise attack the other guy with Danger Sense.
>>
>>49374410
Battle rager is so neat though.
>>
>>49374454
Guy who gets double attacks versus guy who takes half damage? Sounds like it will balance out
>>49374658
The totem guy could use it to waste the other guy's rages
>>
>>49374647
>You can refluff anything
>here's my example that's really bad, to show how all refluffing is bad
>see it's dumb
I hope you're baiting

>An animal totem barbarian is a barbarian with spiritual beliefs based around animal totems
>I can't believe I have to explain that to you.
Well considering I didn't say "THAT'S NOT HOW ANIMAL TOTEM BARBARIANS WORK" and said something like "you can refluff", you've got to be baiting
or just retarded

>>49374658
that's why I said the animal totem "could" do that
Sure, DPR wise the animal totem barbarian is going to lose because the other can shit out higher damage with 4 attacks, unless the animal barbarian does something else besides standing there getting hit
Hell the elk barbarian could just run away each time the berserker goes into a frenzy, letting the berserker just frenzy itself to death or until it's weaker

>>49374725
At first it looked neat, but then it's really bad because the armor can't do magical piercing damage so against high level monsters it's worthless, and that's 3/4ths the abilities it gets

>>49374737
At 20th level both get unlimited rages, but the berserker can frenzy itself to death
>>
>>49372769
I think that's more a case of too much of a good thing
>>
File: 5930474-origpic-c4591d.png (920KB, 1235x1656px) Image search: [Google]
5930474-origpic-c4591d.png
920KB, 1235x1656px
>>49374638
it's sterile and lifeless, nothing compared to some of the AD&D stuff.
>>
>>49374551
.Again, you're choosing to make assumptions that lead to the infinite distance between two points problem. The prominent gate towns are transitory and can be placed how the Dm wants them.

All the flaws you're mentioning so far are literally only problems if the Dm has a special type of autism.
>>
>>49374769
Would adding a feat to allow magical piercing make battlerager competitive? Can you help me figure out what would make it viable for a long campaign?
>>
>>49373505
Just read this, watch some games online and run your own game man.
Just make sure that everyone understands this is new for you too and it will be a learning experience for everyone involved.

You'll never feel like you're "ready" before your first DM session, and in the end most of it kinda sorts itself out. Use the Starter Kit adventure (link in the OP) so you have something to guide you along.
>>
>>49373594
www rpg-foren com/

there you can find people to play with, but mostly western Germany.

Otherwise just ask some friends, or alternatively, some people at your university/school/job. You'd be surprised how easy it is to convince people to give it a go.
>>
>>49374816
>feat for magical piercing damage
ah hell if I was DMing I'd probably just give the player magical stabby armor, like make it a +1 to attack rolls and damage rolls. That'd fix it
That's really the only issue I can think of it, besides the 3 damage being kinda underwhelming at high levels.
>>
>>49368686

You are way, way too late to start dipping into sorcerer. Keep with Paladin, it will serve you better as the martial combat AND as the support.
>>
File: Gamemastering.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Gamemastering.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>49374827
That was actually the wrong book, but worth a read non the less.
>>
File: 1466539932125.gif (1MB, 718x404px) Image search: [Google]
1466539932125.gif
1MB, 718x404px
>DnD exploded in popularity because of Stranger Things in the last couple of months
>PHB selling like crazy
>Only a couple of new players have even tried playing, played for one session and then never returned

Huh
>>
File: DM's guild Planar Bestiary.jpg (274KB, 612x792px) Image search: [Google]
DM's guild Planar Bestiary.jpg
274KB, 612x792px
Does anybody have a pdf they can share of the Planar bestiary on DM's Guild?

http://www.dmsguild.com/product/193100/Planar-Bestiary?hot60=1&src=hottest_filtered&filters=45469
>>
>>49375060
> Product has low retention rate

Oh no, the tragedy! It's still better than slowly bleeding to death. More purchasers means more products, which based on these threads is 60% of what you guys talk about (When's X coming out? What do you hope they release? What did you think of Y that just dropped?)
>>
>>49375060
>source
It's still the most played game in Roll20, for a while now.
>>
>>49374808
If the correct, non-autistic way to respond to an integral part of the setting is to ignore it every time it comes up, it's a bad setting. Consider all the other settings that have maps, settings where everything is connected by finite amounts of three-dimensional distance, settings where horseshit like this never comes up because there are means of travel other than DM fiat.

It's like that saying that /tg/ quotes all the time about how a system that's "good if you houserule it" is a bad system. The burden of proof falls on a game to be good, not on the players and DM to make a bad thing good.
>>
>>49375175
We've already discussed in theses threads why roll20 paints a horrible picture for 5e's future.

tdlr: 16302 games, 21920 players. DM's literally cant find enough players to fill up there games. Meanwhile in 3.5 pretty much every game has players lining up to play.
>>
>>49375287
isn't more DMs than players a good thing rather than the other way around?
>>
>>49375287
One thing that surprises me about Roll20 is the lack of One-shot adventures. Everyone wants to do these long campaigns and tell these donut steel adventures.....and then complain when things fall apart two weeks in.

You would think there would be more: "Hey, running a one-shot this weekend, apply if interested."

That's how pick up groups work, and that's how classic MMO's like Everquest and DAoC helped build longer lasting relationships and guilds which brought people with similar tastes who mesh well together. I feel like Roll20 is the perfect avenue for that.
>>
>>49375321
What, no, you always need more players than DM's.
>>
>>49374769
Refluffing is bad, and people who do it and DMs who allow it are wrong. An animal totem barbarian who has no particular strong feelings about animals is as dumb as a fighter refluffed as a wizard or a wizard refluffed as a fighter who runs in, hits everyone with a flaming sword, and runs back to his original position every time he casts a fireball. Fight me.
>>
>>49375321
I see his point. Say, I think the difference between games and players should be about 1:5 at least. And it clearly isn't.
>>
>>49375287
I had to learn a whole hell of a lot more to DM 3.5 than 5e. You don't think that has something to do with it?
>>
>>49375244
The correct way to use planescape's obstacles is the proper way to use everything else. You season the campaign with them, so sometimes it's an obstacle with various ways to get past it.

It is never going to be an omnipresent problem, and it doesn't have to be, ACCORDING to the setting itself.
>>
>>49375341
Yes but DMs can always join as players, but players have more hesitation becoming the DM
>>
>>49375357
Personally I suspect It's because 5e lacks fluff for the DM to build off while 3.5e had so much fluff it overwhelmed players.

WotC don't seem to be able to strike a balance between the two.
>>
>>49375439
I suspect 5e has more DMs because it's easier to DM for. It's pretty easy to see it's designed to be as DM-friendly as possible to get new DMs to try it out.

I had more issues dropping 3.5 rules from reflexively memory than learning 5e rules.
>>
>>49375348
Your strawman is bad, and you should feel bad.
>>
>>49375287
>>49375327
Because 5e is the default right now, it gets the majority of half-baked DMs who have an idea for a super leet campaign but no idea how to execute it. If a DM is more accustomed to an older edition, that means that he probably has at least a few years' experience running his edition of choice and knows how to be a DM regardless of what game he's running.

And incidentally, half-baked campaigns are most likely to be conceived as lasting all the way to level 20. Kids don't daydream about running a really great one-shot, even though that's much more attainable.
>>
File: 1468545452396.jpg (25KB, 680x383px) Image search: [Google]
1468545452396.jpg
25KB, 680x383px
Mike Mearls has already admitted that e5 was designed to facilitate podcasts like Critical roll, WotC want DnD to become a spectator sport that's easy to follow for people that don't know the rules.

They don't want to you play the game, they want you to buy the books and watch paid actors play the game.
>>
>>49375514
Or they realize the last 2 editions they made had far too many rules interactions for inexperienced people to remember. You had to be a long-time tabletop player and/or an autist to learn 3.5/4e

-a 3.5 DM
>>
>>49375514
> e5 was designed to facilitate podcasts like Critical roll

Critical Role
> Original release 12 March 2015

D&D 5e
> The 5th edition's Basic Rules, a free PDF containing complete rules for play and a subset of the player and DM content from the core rulebooks, was released on July 3, 2014
>>
>>49375620
what the fuck is critical role
>>
>>49375514
That's cool, I guess.
>>
>>49375514

>source: my ass

stop memeing
>>
>>49375620
>like
>>49375635
>podcast(s)
>>
>>49375604
Only newfags such as yourself with no experience outside of DnD think 3.5/4e are mechanically intensive.

3.5 didn't even have 4 different ways to roll for treading water.
>>
Feat I just gave to one of my players:

Signature Enemy: +2 damage to a certain type of enemy on damage and advantage on survival checks to track it.

It's like Martial Adept to the new ranger, where it's a lesser version, cause they don't have the advantage on intelligence checks to know about it or the gained language.

I know it's balanced in my game cause she won't be going up against humanoids every time and it's a waste otherwise, but would it be balanced in your game.
>>
>>49375728
Does it stack with Favored Enemy? Like can her Favored Enemy and Signature Enemy be Humanoids, and she just deal godlike damage every hit?
>>
>>49375693
Between about 2009 and 2015 it was near-impossible to retain new players because their heads would spin trying to remember all the interactions between rules, and in 3.5's case, what options were traps, like trying to grapple.
>>
Let's settle this once and for all
http://www.strawpoll.me/11236838
>>
>>49375817
>Let's settle this
>strawpoll
Nah, go fuck yourself.
>>
File: 1465678260905.jpg (32KB, 576x521px) Image search: [Google]
1465678260905.jpg
32KB, 576x521px
>>49375655
https://twitter.com/mikemearls/status/762144192285904896

Read backwards from this tweet. He then goes on to explain how a lot of players are being introduced to the hobby by theses podcasts.

And then Anons like >>49375122 wonder why it has such a low retention rate, then >>49375770 claims its because of "muh crunch", cue another Monte Cook rules-light larping shitfest that everybody forgets exists in a couple of months.

In reality its nearly impossible to retain new players because they go in with absurdly high standard and come out disappointed that everybody wasn't a paid actor with a dedicated writing crew.

Meanwhile crunch heavy games like GURPs and OSR are experiencing booming sales.
>>
File: wizard pepe.jpg (14KB, 323x250px) Image search: [Google]
wizard pepe.jpg
14KB, 323x250px
>tfw your spellbook gets destroyed
>>
>>49375635
It's not a podcast. It's a Twitch Show.

It's also the most popular (see: Entertaining) recorded D&D game / group to date.

> Muh Acquisitions Inc.
> Muh other random Twitch / YT / podcast shit
>>
>>49375837
> wonder why it has such a low retention rate

But I don't wonder. I don't even care. I have friends and play the game. If there's no content for what I want to do, I make it up. Holy shit how hard is that.
>>
>>49372735

You can only take resilient once.
>>
>>49374291

How true. I don't know why my DM won't give me a spell slot less fireball either! I mean, it's only one use is to damage, it can't be THAT strong! What a dumbass.
>>
>>49375837
Well... Okay? I still don't see why I should care.
>>
>>49374806

2nd edition and earlier had more spirit. The art in 5E is fucking bland. Its fantasy subject matter lacking in imagination.
>>
>>49375348
>>here's my example that's really bad, to show how all refluffing is bad
>>see it's dumb
wow I can just copy from my original post and it still works!
>>
>watching other people have fun

whether its sports, video games, or d&d ill never understand this
>>
>>49375348
>refluffing is bad
>literally no fun allowed
And fuck you, I'd love to play that wizard
>>
>>49376032
This anon didn't play team sports as a kid.
>>
>>49376032
Why do you watch movies, or play video games or read books instead of just going outside and doing all the things in those instead?
>>
So I'm DMing in my own campaign setting but I want to DM also a published campaign, and I'm thinking in one of those: Out of the Abyss, Curse of Strahd, or Storm's King Thunder.

Which one do you guys like best? Why?
>>
>>49376014
>The art in 5E is fucking bland
Still better than the retarded art from 3.5e. Seriously, half of the pictures were absolutely ridiculous.
>>
>>49376078
>I want to DM also a published campaign
Go away.
>>
>>49376078
OOTA. It's very nice all-around.
>>
>>49375287

Its been a while since I used roll20. I tried it and my experience was it was hard to find a game as a player that didn't fall apart between planning and implementation. I'd sign on to play in a game and then when game time came up almost everybody would flake. The one game I found that was okay were people who were IRL friends that just needed a couple players to flesh out the group. Problem there is you end up like a utility for that group. You are there for support but otherwise an outsider bordering on being an NPC.
>>
>>49376049
Always hated those. Just a source of bullying.
>>
File: Lidda.jpg (156KB, 400x569px) Image search: [Google]
Lidda.jpg
156KB, 400x569px
>>49376079
3.5 art made me want to do lewd things with halflings. 5e halfling art is utterly terrible, by the way.
>>
>>49376078
Well with Strahd you won't have to change your setting as it happens on another plane or whatever.
>>
>>49375327

Using one shots would be the best way to form a group. Play one shots and invite back players and post for new ones till you have a relatively stable group you can run a longer adventure or campaign.
>>
>>49376140
I mean, I'll start another table, I'll DM to 2 groups.
>>
>>49375429

Most players down right fear DMing a game. Mostly because they expect the DM to do all the fucking work while they show up.
>>
>>49376129
And in 3.5 our could at least tell the difference between halflings and gnomes
>>
>>49376129
I'm sorry, but it just means you have shit taste.
>>
>>49376169
>implying anyone cares about halflings and gnomes
>>
>>49376153
Alright, in that case I'd say they're all good.
SKT is a good traditional adventure, CoS is a nice departure from the norm.
OotA is really hit or miss and can drag and have players questioning certain parts (why are we going back in to the place we spent so long escaping again?).
>>
>>49376143
I'm thinking of doing this myself. I'm literally flabbergasted at how little representation for this type of game there is.
>>
>>49376195
I started playing OotA once and I don't know if the DM was kidding with me or if the adventure is like that, the only thing I know is that I started in a cell as a Wizard without my Arcane Focus and we scaped from there without the fucking arcane focus.
>>
>>49376223
Nobody told you, lol. Yes, that is by default how OotA starts, and if you are a wizard you're gonna have a bad time. Don't forget your lack of a spellbook, too
>>
>>49374769
The berserker doesn't have to frenzy.
>>
>>49376127

I was the nerd from hell in High School back in the 80s. I was big and strong. Somehow friends talking me into joining the freshman football team. It was tradition for the upper classman football players to haze the freshman players. One of the ritual hazings was shaving our heads. I grew my hair really long....down to small of my back. I went along with stupid shit till they had a lottery to see who would get to cut my hair off and shave my head. I was 14 and I beat a 17 year old football up. I was the asshole because I didn't LET them fuck with me. I had to hurt two more after that before they fucking realized I wasn't a wimpy freshman. I got kicked off the team because I wasn't a "team player" off the field.
>>
>>49376049
yes i have, but how does that relate to what im saying at all?

>>49376073
that doesnt even make sense, quit sperging out

i can play sports and games myself, why would i watch someone else do it rather than have fun myself

reading literature doesnt even make sense here, in what case do you watch someone write a book? rofl

same with movies, i dont watch them make the movie

you didnt think this post through very well
>>
>>49375762
It can't stack but she can get it for humanoids for favored and signature beasts if she was a ranger, but she is a nature cleric.
>>
http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/print/B1HBWX5j?dialog=true Dude made a huge compendium of Final Fantasy XIV classes to 5e ones. I haven't had time to read through it (the PDF is 122 pages, fair warning) but you all might be interested nonetheless.
>>
New Thread >>49376443

New Thread >>49376443

New Thread >>49376443

New Thread >>49376443
Thread posts: 322
Thread images: 33

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.