[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>in a world equivalent to the low to high medieval times the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

File: knight-and-ufo-2.jpg (20KB, 264x522px) Image search: [Google]
knight-and-ufo-2.jpg
20KB, 264x522px
>in a world equivalent to the low to high medieval times the party sees a falling star
>after locating it they see that it actually is a weird construct made out of a shiny metal
>the survivors come out of this metal shell and the party is confronted with somehting they have never seen before

Is something like this doable and with that I mean adding sci fi elements into a fantasy setting.

I used to read conan comics a lot and even there conan met quite a few aliens from other worlds and it did make things a bit more fresh instead of every adversary coming out of ancient magic and the like.
Did you guys ever do something like this in your games ?
>>
>>49362001
Conan also dealt with gribbly lovecraft shit alot, and did it without crapping his loincloth because he wasn't a cowardly faggot written by a weak man that was deathly scared of the sea and black people.

Seriously though, taking from that you can include otherworldly things in a fantasy game, and to make the sci-fi alien encounters work they would need to be treated as strange and otherworldly to the people of the world the players inhabit as possible.
>>
>>49362001
Even back in 1st edition D+D, they had Expedition to the Barrier Peaks. I think the key is to describe stuff in terms that would not be immediately understood by the players, so the characters are also mystified by the strangeness of this meeting. "Oh you see a UFO" is going to take them out of the moment, but describing falling stars, strange metals, glowing panels and the like might make them not realize right away what is going on.
>>
>>49362085
Yeah I was also thinking of making it seem as alien as possible to the players.
>>
>>49362121
How would I go about that I mean most people know all the fantasy tropes.
If I told them that the falling star is actually a metal shell they would understand what it is quite quickly.
>>
>>49362146
Sorry meant sci fi tropes.
>>
>>49362085
>deathly scared of the sea and black people.
And slime, don't forget slime. Glad he wasnt around for Nickelodeon in the 90s. That would be the stuff of his nightmares.
>>
>>49362209
He was only slightly freaked out by magic.
>>
>>49362234
But like it's so... viscous... and gooey... and. It's so gross.
>>
Yes it's doable.

You just put in some rayguns.

Boom
>>
File: barrierpeakshalfsize.jpg (1MB, 1499x1725px) Image search: [Google]
barrierpeakshalfsize.jpg
1MB, 1499x1725px
>>49362001
>>49362146
What's wrong with the players knowing that it's a spaceship? Just because the players know this metal falling star is probably a spaceship doesn't necessarily change the level of danger and the fact the players still don't know what's in there.

You can in fact play with those expectations - maybe it's not electricity that runs through the cables of the ship, and maybe the gun-shaped device is not actually a ray-gun.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.