[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Miniature Wars V2

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 335
Thread images: 57

>Current (decaying) king of all mini wargames
>Best detailed miniatures for the new stuff
>Worst rules. Absolutely no balance.
>Decades of fluff, very cool setting

X-Wing
>Strong dark horse, Might be the one to unseat both GW and warmahordes
>Reasonably detailed miniatures. Prepainted, so its a plus.
>Very simple, yet very strong rules. Not as combo-rific as warmahordes, but there are still plenty of combos, imperial aces, fat han, brobots. Very fun. Balanced if you combo-up

Infinity
>First in line to the sci-fi throne
>Interesting and solid ruleset. Unforgiving but not very list dependent.
>Extremely good, highly detailed miniatures. Would be king, if not for lack of large centrepiece models, and wonky older stuff
>Fluff is only more interesting on the AI/aliens side. 'murica VS China factions are lame.

Warmahordes
>First in line to mini wargaming throne
>Sub-par models. Poor details, poor design (tiny jack legs), no clear boundaries for colour separation. Cool beasts though.
>Possibly best rules? Its almost MtG in mini form. Very unforgiving. MK3 has made it possibly the best balanced miniwargame. Lots of fun and interesting combos.
>Poor fluff. Basically post-9/11 murica permanently in post 9/11 mode VS muslims, russians, Chinese, undead, demons, left wing hippies. Entire fluff is centered around 2 mary sues from 'murica (stryker and hayley)
>>
AoS
>Inciter of nerd rage
>Solid ruleset, especially after GHB. Surprisingly balance is ok.
>Best detailed miniatures (along with 40k)
>Amazing centrepiece models
>Fluff is ok, but incites nerd rage due to WHFB kill

AoW/9th age/WHFB pretenders
>Zombie king
>3rd party smattering of miniatures from all over
>Rules are what the players like, but is very crunchy. Will not attract new blood
>Decades of fluff. Too bad the old world died.

Battletech
>Ghost king. Was king when it first came out, then died straight away.
>Worst miniatures, period. It was bad in 1970, and it hasn't changed one iota. Illegal stuff is much better. Legal stuff is literally pewter turds.
>Extremely crunchy ruleset, almost a simulator. People use the rules to bitch about MWO more than to play the game. Extremely daunting and unappealing to new blood.
>Worst fluff. mary sue 'murica beating up Chinese people, Japanese people and assorted Asians. Later become 'murica beating up communist negros (CSJ), communist red indians (CJF) while the scandanavian-red indians get absorbed in. Very 1970s centric, very racist, very out of touch. Its like something your drunk, redneck, racist uncle will come up with.
>80s wargame about the 70s, stuck in a mindset and mini style that is 30 years old.
>>
Disclaimer: I'm sorry about how many of the ex. WHFB players feel about AoS, but I try to be as neutral as possible. I agree a few models are bad, like wrathmongers and fireslayers, but the vast majority is really the new GW standard, and they have got that going for them. Just look at the new sylvaneth range. Asthetic is one thing, but their detail is unbeatable.

Main Rules are very basic, but warscrolls gives it much more depth, so the game really is driven by unit special rules. Balance is good, because the game is simple, and currently small. I know a lot of you remember the glory days of the 6th, but lots of us remember the terrible days of 8th with its unbeatable daemon army, elf rampage, and terrible unbalance.

Fluff is OK, and by that, I mean it's mediocre. Very generic fantasy, but not horrible. By horrible, I mean battletech horrible. It's like a general fantasy novel you fish out of the bargain bin, it's not wheel of time, but at least it's not twilight.

Also, someone do Malifaux writeup please.
>>
>>49332308

Should we lump small contenders into the mix? We've for Malifaux, everything Spartan Games does, Imperial Assault is pretty popular, old and niche ones like Full Thrust...

Actually, I find it odd that Battletech is in this list. It does have a consistent General thread, so I suppose this list is more reflecting /tg/'s resident game Generals, so that's less odd.
>>
>>49332308
Oooh, oooh, can I play? I just got plastics and everything!
>>
>>49332777
Oh heavy gear, you are too pure for this world
>>
File: colin-farrel.gif (4MB, 415x212px) Image search: [Google]
colin-farrel.gif
4MB, 415x212px
>>49332308
>>49332325
>>49332345

Still full retard. Or full Sigmar. They mean the same thing.
>>
>>49332308
You know, the marines in that pic are actually more realistic than the models they're being compared to. I find that pretty hilarious that 40k actually wins in the realism department ever when compared with another setting.
>>
We should make this a general OP must be a sociopath
>>
So back onto the topic of Guildball why do some many of you guys like? Seems cheap enough and the Fishermen look pretty cool.
>>
>>49332308
>Prepainted, so its a plus.

So the hobby is non-existant? Or is buying shit the hobby? Pre-painted fucking sucks.
>>
>>49333080
Game is just fun, its easy to pick up you'll be playing in minutes but there is a ton of depth and I think its the perfect balance between skill and dice rolls. You can try it out totally free, the rules are all online and they even offer little paper cut outs of the players so you don't have to buy models to begin. It is very inexpensive compared to other mini games and you can travel with your whole team in a tissue box.

The fishermen to me are the best looking team visually and a lot of fun if you like weaving and scoring rather than all out killing.

They just need a 2 player starter box
>>
Infinity should be like XCOM the game. Lol-randum crits and missing 90% shots et al.
>>
>>49333232

FFG gets them done very well. They don't have facial features and stuff to futz with so we don't end up with WizKids-level googly-eyes miniatures. Paint goes on pretty thin and slick, and I've yet to see a deformed model in the package.

Doesn't mean there's not a hobby. People make a habit of painting their favorite ace's custom color scheme onto their ships, modding their S-foils to be able to close, and visually representing certain common weapon and equipment options on their ship's hulls. Also painting pinup girls.
>>
>>49332308
Pretty obvious you are an infinity player.
>>
>>49333232
>being to autistic to paint over the prepaints.

>>49334781
>being assblasted over someone's opinion on which is the best toy army game.

>>49332777
DP9 is shit, and one reason why people avoid this game like the goddamn plague.
>>
>>49334781
>Pretty obvious you are an infinity player.
OP here, I play or have played/tried them all at one point or another, but I play X wing most. Fly casual is a great motto, you get the best crowd, not too hardcore so you don't get your typical neckbeards, but competitive enough, due to ease of entry. Simple to learn, but very deep. It's a very good balance.

I like warmahordes significantly more than infinity for play style, but their models are too horrid for me to stomach. I'd rather play warmahordes than infinity at my LGS, but the models has permanently put me off buying anything from them. It's really sad, because their ruleset is really the best and most interesting to me, but the entire game is marred by a glaring, ugly flaw.

Infinity is OK. I'd play games here and there, if I'm bored and in the area. I like painting their models more than anything. I won't make time to play infinity though. Rather play X wing.

I've quit 40k after a turn 3 tabling by double wraithknight scatbike spam. Played since the tail end of 2nd.

I've tried AOS, and liked it. Haven't bought anything other than some khorne lord guy just to paint.

Tried WHFB too, here and there. Used to have a small chaos army. Found it ok. 6th was great, but downhill after that. Tried the other KoW and 9th pretender ruleset, and it's OK, more of the same.
>>
i never see anyone mention dystopian legions, does it just have no community?
bad balance?
whats the issue? i looked at the models and theyre lovely
>>
>>49333232
I want to play not pick out pointless details on models which are priced exorbitantly anyway.
>>
>>49335980
>Playing anything produced by spartan games.
People stopped doing that after they dropped their 56th product to focus on their NEW UPCOMING SUPER COOL SUPER GAMEā„¢

Sadly this happens with literally everything they produce because mental problems. So people stopped paying attention because who wants to start playing a game that will be forgotten in 6 months.
>>
>>49332308
>Prepainted
>A plus
Leave this board and never return.
>>
File: Boggle.jpg (53KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
Boggle.jpg
53KB, 250x250px
>>49335980
>i never see anyone mention X

See, adult /tg/ regs would see that fact as a signifier. Try to work out why.

Take all the time you need.
>>
File: scoriabait.png (65KB, 500x331px) Image search: [Google]
scoriabait.png
65KB, 500x331px
>>49332965
>>
>>49332325
>>49332345
This is the stupidest thing that I have read all day. There are a million ways that WHFB could have been rebooted as a skirmish game without it being incredibly stupid. They could have done something like Mordheim or just refluffed their very well designed LotR game.

>Detail can't be beat
I assume that you don't know that Mierce and Kingdom Death exist. Plastic simply can't hold as much detail as resin and metal can.

>All WHFB clones are crunchy
But Kings of War is far more streamlined than 8th, and certainly plays much faster than Age of Sigmar.

>MK3 has made Warmachine the most balanced game
I feel like that I have just been taken for a ride. Maybe quests were a less evil to threads like this.
>>
>>49336124
i see, i didn't know about that habit as a company, thanks for answering instead of being a grumpy grognard like this fag >>49336148
>>
File: Cosplay.jpg (93KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
Cosplay.jpg
93KB, 250x250px
>>49336078
>citadel undisputed #1
>too much detail
>overpriced
>unpainted

So you prefer playing a cheap game with underdetailed, pre-painted models? I don't think being represented by a cheapskate with objectively poor taste will win your also-ran models any victories in the "Miniatures War." Do keep digging, though.
>>
>being this assblasted about x-wing pre-paints
>x-wing pre-paints still better then 90% of 40k 12year-old SM players
>b-but hobby...
>>
>>49332308
Here's the thing. 40K, as a hobby, is peerless. Its models are the best products on the market, the only problem is the sheer cost. But nothing else has the same level of character or customization.

But as a game? 40k is terrible. TERRIBLE. Horrible. HORRIBLE. It's utterly miserable and requires arm-twisting negotiations with an opponent before a game even starts just to have a nice-ish time. It's only good if you completely ignore formations and superheavies, and play at just 500 or 700 points. I'd rather play any other system than 40k, and just use 40k models for it. Best of every world.
>>
>>49336260
They're famous for "Spartan ADHD" which is shitty because they do make some really interesting models and (I'm told) some good rulesets.

But yea, when a nice looking, fun game slowly fades into obscurity because the owners simply can't manage their time and resources people get pretty salty about it.
>>
>>49332308
>retarded proportions of SM
>LE BEZT MINIS IN ZE WORLD
>>
>>49337787
The only thing 40k has going for it over their competitors are their multipart plastic kits. Which I never understood why they are a good thing. In the end all the tactical marines blend together and they don't look like individual personalised models. For the person who made them, I'm sure they do, but that's the same for people who play Warmahordes, Infinity, put custom paint jobs on x-wings.

Their lore is subjective, I like a lot of it, but I hate even more. The game is trash, absolute garbage teir. The community is fractured and no there's no real sense of engagement by people playing the game, people, at least in the cities I go to, play just what they're given from GW, they don't make up custom rules, interesting and interactive boards, etc.

Too much min-maxing, gimmick lists.
>>
File: IF heraldry.jpg (3MB, 3130x4229px) Image search: [Google]
IF heraldry.jpg
3MB, 3130x4229px
>>49338221
Tactical marines look absolutely fucking nothing alike each other unless their creator is the absolute worst painter and modeler, who purely makes everything look the same instead of giving marines all the special campaign badges, icons, numerals, etc they're supposed to be decorated in.
>>
>>49338378
>hurrr everything has detail and character if you paint those detail and character on them
Really strong argument there, mate. Care to show us your tactical squads with personalized "badges, icons, numerals", just to have an idea? Surely you're not the absolute worst painter and modeler, are you?
>>
File: su jian.jpg (882KB, 1315x1000px) Image search: [Google]
su jian.jpg
882KB, 1315x1000px
>>49332308
>Infinity
>lack of large centrepiece models
I disagree.
>>
File: images.jpg (23KB, 470x313px)
images.jpg
23KB, 470x313px
>>49338941
>not posting big brother
>>
>>49338378
So, like every miniature ever?

>>49338941
But it's not x-box hueg, so large that it barely fits on the table! for some reason some people want to play not only with huge armies, but huge models as well. Personally I think 28mm/32mm/whatever is ill suited scale for such a thing, when smaller scales offers pretty much the same experience at manageable size and cost. But each to his own.
>>
>>49338378
You can say this about every miniature game in existence.
>>
>>49339001
After posting the Su Jian I thought it'd mean something like Baneblade or Imperial Knights at least. Although at that point it kinda stops being a "miniatures" game.
Infinity does not get bigger than Jotum or Maghariba Guard. But then it's a skirmish game about black ops, not wars; there's no place for tanks.
>>
>>49332345
>Balance is good, because the game is simple, and currently small
Devs themselves have said the balance was shit and they know it.

Fluff is just shit.
>>
>>49332308
>40K
>Best detailed miniatures for the new stuff
>Decades of fluff, very cool setting
Thanks for starting out with the retard confirmation. Saved me from reading the rest of your drivel.
>>
>>49339095

>Devs themselves have said the balance was shit and they know it.

suuure they did
lets see it
>>
File: SydonianDragoon02.jpg (61KB, 920x950px) Image search: [Google]
SydonianDragoon02.jpg
61KB, 920x950px
>>49339110
As someone who is balls deep into Infinity I will admit stuff like this looks cool as fuck.
>>
>>49333232
Not everyone likes the hobby.

Assembling and painting are a giant chore to leap over before I can get go the fun part, the game.
>>
>>49339055
Not really. Rank and file games especially outside of a medieval context heavily stress conformity. The thing about space marines is that each and every one should be incredibly easy to pick out from a group if they're painted and modeled properly. They're made for conversion and heavy painting with relative ease from a multitude of interchangeable parts.
>>
>>49333232
>>49336147
Prepainted means it spreads more easily onto people who are normally intimidated by the painting and assembly part. You just pop the fucker out of the box and play.
Not to mention that Star Wars fighter ships are usually either grey or black anyway.

What OP really glaringly omitted is that X-Wing is Star Wars. No matter how good or old your fluff is, you ain't gonna win with Star Wars, especially now that new movies are being made. Franchise force is strong in this one.
>>
>>49339133
Too. Much. Stuff. The core design is cool, but whoever designed should probably have stopped at some point.
>>
>>49332308
Is this an open thing?
>>
File: 1445136416926.jpg (432KB, 1143x1586px) Image search: [Google]
1445136416926.jpg
432KB, 1143x1586px
>>49339220
>overdesign
That's the fucking point. It's the Admech. Everything is crammed full of detail. Hell it's half the point of most of the human armies, who are supposed to be similar to the grotesque, baroque architecture of the Late Medieval/Early Modern Period.
>>
>>49339242
I agree that it works well with the AdMech, but GW's current design philosophy is to overdesign every model (As seen on almost all AoS models)
>>
>>49339287
>(As seen on almost all AoS models)
Well of course AOS is shit, I ain't going to argue for that. The only model I like from AOS would set me back 100 USD anyway...

And why did Bretonnians get killed before I could make an army. ; _ ;
>>
>>49339168
The multi-part plastic kits with extra bits are the only advantage SM have regarding to personalization. The painting thing is a moot point: it's true for all the miniature games, and you can't expect the average painter to be able to freehand logos and decorations on shoulderpads for an entire army.
Seriously, has anyone ever seen passable pauldron decorations made by average painters (ie people not paid for painting models)?
>>
>>49339092
God the Haqqislam models are so fucking rad.
>>
>>49338378
>all that mantra about "customization" and "ur dudes"
>90% of 40k on actual tables looks bland as shit
>blue bulky space dudes
>greenish bulky space dudes
>horny grey-ish (?) bulky space dudes
>>
>>49339408
This is because those idiots aren't painting or modeling their marines properly. Every space marine is supposed to look unique, even if they just have special icons on their armor and all are running around in the same armor mark. Which doesn't happen though, as according to the image of every individual in the Ultramarines Second Company, virtually every space marine wears mixed mark armor.
>>
>>49339403
Gives a new meaning to "radical Islam".
>>
>>49339441
>Every space marine is supposed to look unique
Ain't nobody gonna bother painting every of their 40+ Space Marines uniquely. And the differences are extremely minor: a different kneepad, 1-in-10 is a beakie, maybe a Seal of Purity on another one. But Space Marines are still supposed to have a unified look.
Army where every miniature could look entirely different from another would probably be only true of Orks, because Orks can look whatever the hell they like.
>>
>>49339468
Nope. Second Company has a very unique appearance, with it being fairly easy to pick everybody out in a line on account of their greaves, breastplates, helms, vambraces, etc all having various combinations of marks. Only a couple guys are just wearing MK VII and nothing else.

And 40k isn't supposed to be played with a Demi Company either. 40k is a 600-700 point game that for some retarded reason people play at 2,000 or 2,500 point levels because GW told them so, when the rules don't support size bloat.

40k actually isn't utterly horrendous if you ignore GW's bullshit marketing for big games and just play at the original skirmish level it was meant for.
>>
>>49339468
But that's even more wrong. Orks have 200 samey models instead of 40.

If you went crazy customization and made your orks truly unique, you'd get more traction from the same amount of effort put into space marines. Imagine a SM army done up as Tau FWs wearing captured power armor as a field test, that'd be awesome to look at... but so would any army from any game with that much work put in.
>>
>>49339110
>being this much of a contrarian baby buttmad that his pet game is leagues beneath 40k
>>
>>49339441
Litteraly every multi part plastic kit out there has more customization and conversion option than space marines.
>>
>>49338102
Their proportions make a lot more sense for powered armor than the twiggy little dudes next to them, which have zero room for all the mechanisms, servos, wiring and such that would be needed.

You're the one who is fucking retarded if you think futuristic vacuum-sealed armoured exoskeletons in space are supposed to look like the thin metal plate of medieval times.
>>
>>49339556
>which have zero room for all the mechanisms, servos, wiring and such that would be needed.
Artificial muscle is a thin sheet of piezoelectric materials. You don't need bulky mechanisms.
>>
>>49332965
They're not more realistic, but they are a damned sight more creative than the models on the right. They're not just "knights, but SCI-FI!" The knightly elements in their design are subtle, and mixed in with other stuff to create a unique blend.

They're knights, but they're also soldiers, as evidenced by the fact that they have modern firearms and anti-armour weapons, and are carrying them like actual soldiers. There's also an element of older soldiery - did you know that Marines' backpacks were inspired by the backpacks of Napoleonic infantry? The big double-bulbed thing on top was based off the bedrolls said infantry carried.

That's a mix of influences that make Marines genuinely unique and distinctive, and a far cry from your average generic space-knights.
>>
>>49332325
You stoked my interests on battletech fluff, what and where should I read?

The fluff entry about warmahordes is skub, absolutely every faction is some sort of asshole or evil cabal of dicks that represent them to other factions even if they don't get top billing. Also don't get the whole cygnar=america thing, yes there are elements of that but all the names are supposed to be British>>49332308
as fuck and they are a mad science victorian monarchy with official nobility and knighthoods.
>>
>>49332325
>Battletech
>Worst miniatures, period.
Maybe (way) back in the day, but they're cool now. Fuck outta here with your shit taste.
>>
File: second company.jpg (855KB, 2000x1377px) Image search: [Google]
second company.jpg
855KB, 2000x1377px
>>49339494
For example, here is the image. I've circled in red every single deviation I can easily pick out for certain that is not MK 7 armor. Note that there are several breastplates that, due to the bolters obscuring the front, I am incapable of telling apart from MK 6 and MK 7, so there may be even more.
>>
File: Breacher Command.jpg (325KB, 1600x1105px) Image search: [Google]
Breacher Command.jpg
325KB, 1600x1105px
>>49339548
Sure buddy.
>>
>>49339408
>be obsessed with ur dudes
>be an IG fag that cant stand the cadians
>conversions, conversions and conversions
kill me
>>
File: hawt girl.jpg (161KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
hawt girl.jpg
161KB, 600x800px
>>49339556
>You're the one who is fucking retarded if you think futuristic vacuum-sealed armoured exoskeletons in space are supposed to look like the thin metal plate of medieval times.
Except Space Marine armour is filled mostly with Space Marine bloated flesh and isn't that thick otherwise.
Infinity HI are regular dudes in power armour, not genetically altered supermen. You know what regular people in PA look like in 40k? Pic related.

Also the knights looks twiggly next to the stunty Marines; they have plenty of bulk when compared to non-HI Infinity units. Not to mention Infinity is going for true scale and anime aesthetic.
>>
>>49339556
You might have had a point if GW's official artwork had the same proportions as their miniatures but it doesn't. Furthermore their vehicles are wildly out of scale and their non space marine miniatures are even worse. Sadly GW's fanbase are full of idiots and children so GW will never have any incentive to fix their range. Imagine the outrage if GW decided to release properly proportioned miniatures. You'd never hear the end of the complaints how the new miniatures are impossible to paint.
>>
File: inf pan o orc montage.jpg (500KB, 1100x435px) Image search: [Google]
inf pan o orc montage.jpg
500KB, 1100x435px
>>49339575
>did you know that Marines' backpacks were inspired by the backpacks of Napoleonic infantry?
No, they were inspired by ancient Roman backpacks.

The knights on the right looks like knights because they're supposed to be knights. They're like the Black Templars of PanOceania, going for style over reason. Regular heavy infantry is closer to the ORC Troop. I dunno why they posed him like he's surprised to be here, aside from the fact that hardly anyone plays ORCs.

That said everyone agrees PanOceanian HI is boring as fuck. Both look wise and rules wise.
>>
>>49339681
To be fair though those infinity knights are pretty badly proportioned. The torso's too big and the legs are too thick and short. IIRC they are pretty outdated though.
>>
>>49339441
>>49339494
>I swear guys, I've read in this fluff blurb that all SM are supposed to be totally different and cool! All those SM players painting theirs like cloned blue potatoes are doing it WRONG!

You seem to have difficulties grasping the concept that what really matters is what people are doing in the real world, not what some fluff sources claim it should be.
>>
>>49339575
>Marines
>retarded design from 80 italian trash
>retarded proportions from painting of 12y-old
>muh future soldiers
>muh le unique dudes
>>
>>49339716

thats one of the few infinity minis i've seen that
a) isnt painted by angel giraldez
b) isnt pretending to be giraldez
c) isnt shit.

I quite like the simple style of it.
>>
>>49339681
>Except Space Marine armour is filled mostly with Space Marine bloated flesh and isn't that thick otherwise.
Legitimately wrong. Space Marines have the proportions of a normal human and are only seven feet tall.

And sisters power armor is complete dogshit compared to the marine's stuff or what Inquisitors wear, and often utterly fails against boltguns. Although really, Sisters can't do anything without getting hopelessly slaughtered.
>>
File: DSCN3888_zps43prnxx5.jpg (247KB, 470x500px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN3888_zps43prnxx5.jpg
247KB, 470x500px
>>49339735
It's not fluff, it's every single fucking source on space marines, which displays them with unique armor, icons, armor and icons, etc. There's nothing that makes Marines out to be generic carbon copies of each other besides lazy as fuck space marine players too poor or too lazy to buy bits to properly represent a chapter's appearance. Thank god at least the Horus Heresy did a good job on clamping down on idiots fielding identical marines.

But truly, anybody who plays 40k who just uses the contents of one box to make a 40k army is not doing the hobby right. Everything should be kitbashed or heavily converted, as it was intended. 40k used to be entirely about converting the ever loving shit out of your marines.
>>
File: Cloten.jpg (98KB, 573x640px) Image search: [Google]
Cloten.jpg
98KB, 573x640px
>>49339769
>Legitimately wrong. Space Marines have the proportions of a normal human and are only seven feet tall.
It is you that is legit wrong. Needing 10 years to grow a Space Marine into a bloated pile of muscle with an extra heart, two extra stomachs and ability to gain memories from eating brains is a big deal in the setting. Part of their armour is literally grafted into their flesh (the Black Carapace, seen here).

>And sisters power armor is complete dogshit compared to the marine's stuff or what Inquisitors wear, and often utterly fails against boltguns.
And yet their corsets are exactly the same armour value as Marines power armour.
>>
>>49339716
Either way, they're more than *just* knights IN SPAAAACE. They have their own look, their own style. They are a unique design.

Meanwhile I could pop open Google and find a million images of sci-fi knights that look indistinguishable from those Infinity minis. They are boring fucking designs.

>>49339750
And yet they're one of the most memorable sci-fi soldier designs in all fiction, right up there with the Stormtroopers from Star Wars, the Mobile Infantry from Starship Troopers, the Terran Marines from Starcraft and the Helghast from Killzone.

Who cares if Space Marines are unrealistic? They're distinct in their unrealism, and in visual design that's all that fucking matters.
>>
>>49339800
>not doing the hobby right.

Oh fuck me, not another one of these dipshits.
>>
>>49339815
That comic is so outdated at this point as a depiction it is utterly irrelevant, not to mention the codex art is newer.

>And yet their corsets are exactly the same armour value as Marines power armour.
Only because 40k is based on a flawed D6 system instead of D20 or D100. Sisters Power armor is canonically weaker than what space marines get, as they are definitely not equals.
>>
>>49339715
So true. I just fail to get that "best minis in the world" trash, when everything i see 40k-fags playing is bland AND out of scale.
>>
>>49339828
There is an acceptable way of doing the hobby, and an unacceptable way. The unacceptable method is churning out carbon copy models purely to field some 2,500pt shit for a tournament, none of which 40k was ever meant for. Hell even GW gives a bigger shit about the models and the hobby of making and converting them than the game itself.

Now if only they'd cut the bloat shit right fucking out, because Epic does not belong in 40k. Or at least should remain exclusively in Apocalypse.
>>
>>49339800
Kitbashing is much more an option in old WHFB or even in historical ranges (perry) than it will ever be for marines.
>>
File: Seers_Battle.png (2MB, 925x1199px) Image search: [Google]
Seers_Battle.png
2MB, 925x1199px
>tfw we'll never get eldar miniatures which look as good as pic related
>>
>>49339800
>I buy a company's product and fully assemble it, and nonetheless I'm still doing it wrong according to something this company wrote in a book.
Thank you for reminding me why I quitted 40k 10 years ago
>>
File: poster-emperor-horus.jpg (89KB, 727x500px) Image search: [Google]
poster-emperor-horus.jpg
89KB, 727x500px
>>49339854
Well I wouldn't go as far as saying that 40k is bland.
Even as somebody who hates GW, it's only because I resent them having rights over such amazing fluff and art and just fucking up the miniatures. Pic related does 'heroic' proportions perfectly, sure that head is a little too small and the body too large but horus looks amazing, something you'd never get with official GW released miniatures.
>>
>>49339866
..Fucking how? Those old models were typically monopose with you having to saw through pewter to repose them or swap limbs. Space Marines meanwhile have hundreds of bits, and every space marine model from GW or FW, loyalist or chaos, is almost always compatible.
>>
>>49339525
>implying implications
[smug anime girl].png
>>
>>49339941
>such amazing fluff and art
Is this a new meme or what? I can understand granddads for fapping to this trash, but its year 2016, anon. 40k lore was always shit-tier to me. 40kfags love to joke around about infinity, star wars, warmahordes, yet protect absolute craptastic levels of "great fluff".
>>
>>49340017
To give you an idea, every WHFB plastic (and even some metal) empire kit, WHFB chaos marauders, Warlord games 30 years wars and WGF historicals are kitbashable and on scale. That's a bit more than a few boxes.
>>
>>49340091
>its year 2016, anon
kek
>>
>>49340153
Not to mention they are also on scale with IG kits.
>>
>>49332308
Based on the pic above the Space Marines look way less stupid.

The knights on the right look like Deviant art shit met Mass Effect... holy shit that looks awful. Infinity has some cool models but those knights sure aren't it.
>>
>>49340199
I take gayeffect deviant shit over 12y-oriented 80-trash "kult-klassic" any day.
>>
File: 1387593800020.jpg (84KB, 749x370px) Image search: [Google]
1387593800020.jpg
84KB, 749x370px
>>49340091
>trying this hard
The least fleshed out Factions in 40k have more lore, and more INTERESTING lore, by themselves than the entirety of Infinity, Malifaux, and Warmahordes combined.

As for art I'll wait while you find anything from those games which can compete with something like this. And there's literally hundreds of more pieces like this one.
>>
>>49340091
This anon gets it. It's even more sad when it tries to be serious.
>>
>>49340258
Quantity =/= Quality
>>
>>49340242
And I'll take unique and distinctive models over generic and forgettable ones any day.
>>
>>49340283
Good thing 40k has both over the competition in droves when it comes to literally everything other than crunch.

All it would take is GW hiring a competent design team to reboot the game with a non-sucky 8th edition to basically kill off half the playerbase for all other tabletop games. Of course, that won't happen, and we all know it won't happen. But trash-talking the strong points of 40k doesn't really fool anybody, it just makes you autists look bitter because your anime game is so much less popular.
>>
>>49340258
>interesting
>14-year old "crawling in my skin"-tier edginess
Sure, old fart, tell me more. Also, thousands years of war without any kind of progress is just laughable.
>>
>>49340328
I'm not invested in this argument since you're both faggots with bad arguments.
But I gotta say chum, if anything sounds bitter it's that long diatribe you just shat onto the thread.
>>
>>49340300
Then why are you playing SpessMehrines and Ko40k?
>>
>>49340333
You seem to be confused whether the 40k fandom is comprised of teenagers to which you feel superior or older people to which you feel superior. Please, anon, explain how your precise age bracket is the only one with taste and how you came to be the rare enlightened soul who is able to discern the inferiorities of the badwrong successful popular thing that is enjoyed by the unwashed plebian masses.
>>
>>49332308
>x-wing might dethrone GW

Lolno, never. I'm a fan and avid player of X Wing, but this will never happen. The game is as big as it's going to get and is nearing the limits of its design space already.
>>
>>49340328
>pityful fools! It would only take one handwave from my dark lord GW to eradicate all your ridiculous, inferior game systems! We can annihilate your playerbase with a mere thought!

You need to take a break, GW's cringy lore is leaking through your autism.
>>
>>49340352
Because, as I already pointed out (>>49339575 >>49339817), 40K models are plenty unique and distinctive. You will never, ever mistake a 40K Space Marine for the space-soldiers of any other setting. The same cannot be said for Infinity, whose soldiers look like they could've stepped straight out of Destiny.
>>
>>49340300
I'm confused. Which one are you referring here?
>>
>>49340393
Not this fallacy again...
>>
>Miniature Wars 2.0
>more like SpessMehrine defence force vs the world
Man, 40k fags more interesting than actual fluff and crunch of Blandhammer 40000 spessmehrines.
>>
>>49340352
>Ko40k
I'm not sure what you're even trying to do here.

>>49340389
He's not wrong, though. Think about it. GW manages to still be the undisputed master of the tabletop industry in spite of a garbage broken rules system. The only market niche and major selling point the other games have managed to carve out is having better rules. Most of the Warmahorde players for example, at least in my experience are ex-40k grognards who couldn't handle getting fucked over anymore and moved on to find a better system - if you suddenly told these guys a new edition had come out that overhauled the balance and made the game tournament worthy, they'd all flock back. Hell you see more guys come into the 40k general everyday saying they're old players who haven't been around since X edition a decade ago but can no longer resist finally returning than you see new blood coming into any of the wargame generals, and that's with the rules still being shit. In light of that it's actually hard to argue that 40k is really on the decline as OP states.
>>
>>49340242
"M-My 12y-oriented mass effect 2000-trash "kult classic" is better"

>>49340283
>Implying poorly made mass effect, shitty spooks ghosttown, and "bad cold war analogy" are quality...

Whooo boy... The Inquisition alone has more detail and development then these games.

>>49340348
"I-Im not invested... but you bad"
kek

>>49340352
>>49340411

>Implying they aren't unique and distinctive
>Not realizing that by every other miniature company trying to design their stuff "unique" all they did was refuse to compete with GW ascetics, thus leading to marines holding a unique and dominating place in the market place and consumer mind.
>This isn't even taking the alien races into account either
>Calling it a fallacy because you have nothing to say to it
kek

>>49340333
>I missed the whole point of the fucking setting

Man these threads are gold mines these days.

>>49340380
Holy shit this, I love X-wing but its never going to compete with an actual miniature painting game. X-wing is a game, 40k and other wargames are hobbies, different markets entirely.
>>
>>49340429
DON'T YOU SEE HOW SPECIAL AND UNIQUE MY MK7 POWER ARMOR IS? NOTHING CAN COMPARE, EVERYTHING ELSE IS GENERIC AND GENERIC IS IS EVERYTHING ELSE!
>>
>>49340429
>Blandhammer
>still trying this hard
There are like a million valid attacks you can use against GW games and you choose one that is just objectively inarguably wrong. Solid b8, m8, you have to be commended.
>>
>>49339287
>current design philosophy
Take off the rise glasses you disgusting oldfag; 40k/WHFB has been about cramming skulls and shit everywhere since day 1. Your game was never better than that.
>>
>>49339220
It's not that overdesigned, it's just that GW doesn't understand how to paint highly detailed models. Yes, there's a lot of stuff on it, but most of it is just pipes and vents and pistons and stuff. I've seen GW overdesigned models (glottkin, varanguard) and they're bloody impossible to look at without one's eyes bleeding, this is just a bit intentionally messy.
>>
>>49340441
>IF ONLY THEY FIXED THE RULES YOU ALL WOULD BE MY FRIENDS AGAIN

No, Josh. Rules are only part of the giant clusterfuck that is modern GW. Tone, aesthetics, etc. Everything is just so lame and tacky in this day anf age.
>>
car crash of a thread, as expected
>>
>>49340462
You still seem to be hurting yourself trying to figure out if 40k players are 14 yo newfags or nostalgia ridden oldfags.

I think you need to take it easy, anon. Don't worry, there will always be another irrational hate-it-because-it's-popular contrarian on the bandwagon to take over for you.
>>
>>49340462
Hey m8 don't be a rude cunt
I know your just baiting but the skulls in Old GW minis were far more toned down and far less than in New GW
>>
You know what. I fuckin hate "muh hobby" shit (especially when fluff is pants on head retarded grimderp). What is your rating of actual warGAMES by game mechanics?
>>
>>49340498
I`m kinda like it, actually.
>>
>>49340442
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Begging_the_question
>>
>>49340512
Well, if you measure mechanics by their ability to accurately convey the fluff, to create an immersive narrative gameplay experience, then it's kind of a moot point, because the fluff in non 40k-games is shit.

If your main concern is mechanics you should be playing a competitive video game like a top-end RTS where devs did all the work for you, not a hobby game in which the amount of time spent painting and modelling outstrips gameplay by 10 to 1.
>>
>>49340411
So basic principles of visual design are fallacious, now?

In visual design, your work lives and dies in a glance. If you can't make your work stand out in that first glance, you are not a good designer.

Star Wars is another property that's great at at-a-glance visuals. Do you know why X-Wings and Tie Fighters are so memorable and distinctive? Sure, they've got the weight of a good story behind them, but it's also because they're made of clear and obvious shapes.

An X-Wing is a tapered cuboid with 4 rectangular planes arrayed at the larger end in an X-shape. A Tie Fighter is a sphere suspended between two hexagons. Are they realistic? No! Do they stand out amid the sea of greebled bricks that now infest modern sci-fi design? Absolutely. Will you ever confuse them with the spaceships from any other property? Of course not.

Infinity's minis look indistinguishable from the fevered scribblings of a million amateur sci-fi concept artists. They have no personal brand or identity. They are bad, bad designs.
>>
>>49340543
>https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Begging_the_question
>using a fallacy wrong
kek
>>
>>49340283
There's so damn much of it that no matter your tastes, you'll almost certainly be able to find even just a couple of stories that cater to them. Two people can say that 40K has great lore and be talking about two completely unrelated parts of the world. I have a friend who has literally only ever read imperial guard and tyranid lore and thinks it's great, his side of 40K is essentially aliens, but on a galactic scale. 40K has great lore because there's so much there's something for everybody's niche.
>>
>>49340555
Fucking this^

Holy shit people just have no goddamn clue how branding and image recognition in a market place works...
>>
File: 1381166126556.jpg (195KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1381166126556.jpg
195KB, 1920x1080px
>>49340555
Fucking nailed it. Trips confirm.

Pic related, it's a zoomed out scenery shot of a 40k environment with no obvious space marines or anything of the like in sight, and yet the aesthetic still immediately and obviously screams "Imperium".

I doubt there's any Infinity landscape shots that have such an effect.
>>
>>49340549
>"How the actual mechanics compare?"
"WELL, MY DEFINITON OF MECHANICS IS FLUFF, SO 40K WINS BY DEFAULT, BECAUSE ALL OTHER FLUFF IS SHIT"

Are you actually stupid or just trolling?
>>
>>49340441
So, if things with GW are as you put them, what does that mean?
>GW is so retarded they can't understand better rules would bring more players in
>GW is so retarded they couldn't put together a better rule system
>GW just doesn't care about the gaming side of the hobby and they content themselves with people mindlessly buying their overpriced plastic paperweights.
Pick all that apply please.

Also
>inferring the success of a company based on people posting on a Burkina Faso salmon smoking forum
kek. I'd go for the real world, and for what it's worth I can say you today in my LGS (which is the biggest in the region mind you) GW stuff on display is 20% of what it were 10 years ago.
>>
>>49340555
>They have no personal brand or identity.
Just like starship troopers rip-offs? Or any-earth-army rip-offs? Or setting-is-so-unique-totaly-not-dune-foundation-rip-off?
>>
>>49340594
>vaguely gothic architehture = imperium
Yeah, mate it's just your own psyche at work there. Honestly, outside of /tg/ I'd probably guess that's some vidya concept art, possibly Dark Souls

You lot are just too accustomed to warhammer aesthetics to see the larger picture.
>>
>>49340594
For me its just another 3rdpersone shooter-what was-its-name from exbaux, to be honest, just take a pick.
>>
>>49340594
I honestly saw that and the first thing I thought was "Anor Londo"

hell, looking at it again it kinda looks like Ravnica

"way too big gothic architecture" is a pretty popular asthetic nowadays
>>
>>49340594
Ironically, if it weren't for the space marine statues and roman symbology, I wouldn't be able to tell that from most generic gritty high fantasy design.
>>
>>49340597
The third one, really. The people in charge of the business end of things just don't give a shit about the rules except where those rules sell more of the newest overpriced models. And unfortunately for both the 40k players and the competing game systems, their business plan still seems to be working.

As for the second bit, I'm gonna go ahead and bet that even with the GW stuff on display being less than it used to be it still far outstrips all the other games. Both of the LGS's near my place sell almost exclusively 40k, with a little bit of X-Wing and some historical WWII games smattered in. Everything else was flavor of the month and then died. And every so often we have brand new kids coming in and starting up the game, whereas I've never once had one of them even ask any of us about Infinity or Malifaux or what have you (a few were into Frostgrave and Dropzone Commander however, if that's worth anything).
>>
>>49340512
1 - Infinity or Xwing but for totally different reasons
2 - Heroes of Normandie
3 - Battletech but it's hard to get into
4 - Warmachine (Hurt a bit by netlisting and caster metas but solid ruleset for the most part)
5 - Epic Armageddon/Epic 40k
6 - GWs LotR
7ish - Necromunda/Mordheim

13 - Hams

Those are just the ones I have personally played.

I'd put Bloodbowl higher up there but you did say wargames.
>>
>>49333514
They are! Talked to the creators this weekend at an event. Rumors say it's going to be Masons and someone else, saw Bricks new sculpt, he's got a massive cinderblock on a chain
>>
>>49340660
Ok, but what does 13-Hams mean?
>>
>>49332308
>>49332325
What's the point of this thread if we had another hit autosage AND you're making the exact same introduction despite 300+ posts of discussion? It seemed to me that a lot of people here agreed that AOS has garbage rules, garbage fluff and garbage design, and you're still handwaving it as "Some grognards are mad about it but it's awesome".

Seriously, what the fuck.
>>
>>49340594
Poster you quoted, here. I'd actually disagree with you on that image. It looks like a kinda generic sci-fi imperial landscape to me. It really needs the "icons" of the 40K setting - Space Marines, Imperium iconography, raging battle, etc. - for it to be obvious where it's from.

It would be like posting a Star Wars image of a planet hanging in space, with no Star Destroyers or Tie Fighters in view. Without those clear signifiers, I'd never guess it was a Star Wars pic, would I? For all I know it could be just a generic image of a planet.

>>49340622
The IG do draw on a lot of real-world visuals, yes, but most everything else in the setting is fairly distinct and unique.

Also, I don't know where the comparison to Dune comes from. 40K may have lifted a lot of fluff elements from Dune, but it's never used any Dune visuals, as far as I know.
>>
>>49340690
FaBa/40k at the bottom, I guess.
>>
>>49340690
It means I couldn't think of other games off the top of my head to fill the list. But it would probably be near the bottom.

Actually I would probably put 6th WHFB at 6-7, and 3.5 40k with the FAQ'd Advanced Combat Rules there as well.
Battlefleet Gothic could be 8.
>>
>>49340462
>WHFB has been about cramming skulls and shit everywhere since day 1
"No"
>>
>>49333514
>Not killing
Take Jac, Kraken, and Corsair. Pray your opponent is dumb enough to be near table edges, and broadside him off.
>>
What are some alternatives to X-wing? I mean alternatives in the sense I'm not particularly fond of die rolls in stuff such as damage output and defense
>>
>>49340660
I'd put KoW 2nd with HoN.
>>
>>49340622
Literally all sci-fi since starship troopers has been influenced by it, just like all alien bug species are at least to some degree based on alien. You can't call 40k marines mobile infantry knock offs and then say your infinity future power armour knight men aren't.
As a huge dune fan, 40K has long since moved past Dune (kind of like the later books themselves). Early on, when there was only the BRB for lore, yes, it did homage dune and, to a lesser degree, foundation, in a big way, but now the setting is huge, and it's been reworked and revised, it's become something quite different, a mixture of early 1900s weird fiction, the historical roman and holy roman empires, with some starship troopers and ww2 tossed in there, all under the mindset of the late cold war era. Not to mention the aesthetic being completely different to any other contemporary sci-fi, dark and gothic and overdesigned in that cathedral-starship type of way, mixed in with the 80s sci fi of things being big and blocky and impractical.
>>
>>49340622
>"bu-but its a rip off of more obscure 80s shit"
Every game is literally a rip off of something else and draws themes from other shit. The point is if they use those inspirations to give it its own unique spin.

Warhammer, both of them, succeeded above and beyond.

>>49340701
"REEEEE THIS THREAD IS ONLY ABOUT SIGMAR REEEEEEEE"
>Discussion is mainly 40k fags vs everyone else
Bad shit posting anon, at least read the last ten posts to make sure its more accurate

2/10 at best

>>49340703
>Also, I don't know where the comparison to Dune comes from.
They both have "God Emperors", both use "lasguns" and have a "Navigator guild" in the background with a monopoly on travel... that's it.

The "its dune bros" meme is almost outdated by this point.
>>
>>49339163
>Assembling and painting are a giant chore to leap over before I can get go the fun part, the game.

If that was the case, 40K/AoS/GW wouldn't be for you anyway...

No one says "I really don't like these expensive, over detailed and hard to assemble and paint miniatures from Gee-Dubs... but the tactical depth and strategic gamep lay of WH40K/AoS is amazing, so it's a burden I must bare..."
>>
>>49340555
>the key to make non-generic aesthetic is to use platonic shapes!
>>
>>49339163
>Not just paying someone to paint your army for you
>many hehes.jpg
>>
>>49340767
DUDE DIDN'T YOU KNOW BOTH DUNE AND 40K BOTH HAVE PLASTEEL
40K IS UNORIGINAL CONFIIIIIIRMED
>>
>>49340751
Like I said, it's only the ones I've played.

I would put Frostgrave at the bottom as well, may 12. Didn't find that game interesting in the slightest, but they do have some great bits in their boxes.
>>
>>49340766
>hen say your infinity future power armour knight men aren't

Is anyone really trying to say that? Because Infinity's designs, other than being slightly anime, are generic as all fuck.

Seriously, no one should be dumb enough to defend Infinity, any faction, as "totally brand new sci-fi concept".
>>
Idk, I judge games by there own merit instead of comparing them to each other. Feels like they're all different enough to me.

>40k
Was glorious a long time ago. Nowadays the system is a clusterfuck, I don't like a whole lot of the new designs, feels like the game lost its soul. If they fixed the system, I'd probably come back. IG footslogging was fun. Fuck your bloodthirster and his fuck huge axe. I've got 30 angry sonsabitches with boots and bayonets, git sum.

>Infinity
Fluff is boring, but the system is neat with ARO's and such. I think some of the rules are retarded, like how if a 3" explosion template lands on you, and you can only move 2" when you dodge, you can still roll decently and avoid all damage. Also I don't like how the game almost forces you to use link teams to do your best.

>Malifaux
My favorite model line. Character for days. I like the card system, but I wish it was more tournament friendly. Picking army after setting up feels wierd and clunky. I don't want to lug around everything I own just to be ready to play a game or two.

>Xwing
Don't play it, tried once and game took forever so I never really got into it. All the stories I've heard from other people is the community is incredibly toxic, and the game has you buying things you don't want for the equipment cards you need. Bleh.

>Warmachine
Boring fluff, tight system though. They can't seem to get the game balanced for shit these days though. Models are just meh. Not god awful, not amazing save very few.

>Relic Knights
fluff is shit. Models are incredibly hot and miss. System is shit. Ded gaem.

>Everything else
Still want to try Halo ground command, would play confrontation if someone taught me. Kind of want to try bolt action.
>>
>>49340873
Has anyone tried to do that? What we've tried to explain, that in the end, 40k is just another toyline and don't rise above the rest like some people try to claim in this thread.
>>
>>49340909

Well they're all toy lines, ultimately, so we're agreed. I was just responding to an anon's post where he was defending 40K's originality (laughable) compared to Infinity (even more laughable).
>>
>>49340895
>Models are incredibly hot and miss.
I'll say. :^)
>>
>>49338378
OMG that Legion Command Pauldron. I bet I can freehand that design.
>>
>>49340791
The key to making distinctive designs is to use clear and readable shapes, instead of covering everything with as much distracting detail as possible.

Look at an X-Wing or a Tie Fighter some time, and you'll see that they're not purely platonic shapes. They have a lot of detail and greebling themselves. But that detail is employed to accentuate and highlight the basic underlying shapes, rather than to obscure and confuse them.

Fucking hell, the Death Star is covered in detail. But people don't remember the detail - they remember the fact that it's a giant menacing sphere, with a crater in its upper hemisphere and trench around its equator.

Ultimately, it's not really about shapes or the use of detail - it's about broad strokes. A good design stands out from the crowd thanks to its broad strokes, not its quibbling details, because that is what people notice at a glance.
>>
>>49340921
"Originality" doesn't exist objectively, everything is in context to its peers. What do you consider an "original" sci fi setting, from the 80s till now?
>>
>>49341014

I'd be impressed, but if not, there's always transfers.

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-FI/Imperial-Fists-Transfer-Sheet
>>
>>49332325

Delete everything you've said about Battletech you piece of shit
>>
>>49341022
Well said.
>>
>>49340895
>the game almost forces you to use link teams

I personally find the main factions more powerful, as a link doesn't give you enough to make up for the loss of so much variety.
>>
>>49341029
>doesn't exist objectively, everything is in context to its peers

Exactly, so what does Infinity have that you can't see in surrounding settings? It's basically a human sphere consisting of Western and Eastern civilization as two large factions, with odd groups like space Scots with werewolves and gypsies, then smeared with anime over it to produce sexy nurses, giant battle suits and robot catgirls. Being invaded by a coliation of Aliens ruled by an AI.

That's basically Halo (humans being attacked by a coalition of aliens) but with anime. I mean 40K coped Tolkien fantasy for Orcs, Elves, Undead etc but at least they put a different spin on it my dressing them up in sci-fi glitter job... unless Infinity creators are claiming they invented Anime... then yes, they'd be original.
>>
>>49340512
Infinity
Armada
Guildball
Xwing
Malifaux
DZC
Kings of War
LotR
Warmachine
AoS

These are the only ones I have played 10+ games of.
>>
>>49340873
Hell one of their factions is literally "Look! Its Brad Pitt as Achilles from Troy... IN SPACE!"

Plus the game was built on the skin tight hot girl model crazy, leading to factions having retarded looking models in a game about complex military skirmishes.

"Oh look, a very important spec ops mission! Don't forget to bring the little robot panda's!"

Infinity I find to be the opposite of 40k, you have a game that has generic sci-fi models, anime garbage, and fluff less interesting then a cerial box, but the gameplay is amazing and keeps players coming back.

40k is the same, just models and lore switched with game play. The game mechanically sucks but the models are cool and the story is more interesting.
>>
>>49341097

I play vanilla Haq, and I consider myself on the low end of decent, and I gotta say it's kind of bullshit when your chances of sniping someone on the other side of the table with an actual sniper rifle aren't that hot when the guy your shooting at is more accurate than you with his HMG just because he has a couple friends with him. I fully accept the game can swing wildly on rolls (sniper taken out by a crit flash pulse ARO is alway hilarious), but having a BS of like 14 vs a dude who's BS 19 and gets practically full burst with stupidly high accuracy like that is some shit.

I won't lie, I hate link teams. I wish they would have stayed a tohaa specific thing.
>>
>>49341115
Humans being attacked by a coalition of Aliens is basically all sci-fi.

Infinity takes many classic sci-fi tropes, combines than and puts their own unique spin on many, and subverts others.

EX:
The Catholic Church and Communist Party becoming important due to controlling the resurrections system, which effectively puts them in the control of the AI.

Humans dealing with human alien hybrids created by genetic rape of the pregnant woman they failed to adequately protect.

The enslavement of a semi-sentient alien species by the nominal good guys.

The fact that the evil aliens might be better than the alternative and that conquered subjects might willingly fight for them.

The "elf" aliens giving other species sentience level intelligence...and coincidentally a inbred loyalty to them.

The use of recreation of historical figures as propaganda pieces and how that backfired magnificently with William Wallace.

The gigantic space habitat dedicated to anarcho capitalism, and how that does and does not work.
>>
>>49341178

if only GW would put some actual effort into making a great new skirmish game learning from Warmachine or infinity

>GW releases killteam

oh GW, you've fucked it up... again.
>>
>>49340921
Also 40k has "good fluff" and everything else has "bad fluff", am i right?
>>
>>49341178
>Plus the game was built on the skin tight hot girl model crazy, leading to factions having retarded looking models in a game about complex military skirmishes.
>"Oh look, a very important spec ops mission! Don't forget to bring the little robot panda's!"
>Infinity I find to be the opposite of 40k, you have a game that has generic sci-fi models, anime garbage, and fluff less interesting then a cerial box, but the gameplay is amazing and keeps players coming back.

Well 40K has anime in the Tau, and ultimately I'm not saying one is better than the other... I'm saying WH40K took it's ideas from fantasy, and spiced it up with sci-fi. Infinity took it's ideas from science fiction, then spiced it up with anime.

Neither is more realistic or original than the other. For every Space Marine Captain charging across the battlefield in a giant red cape waving a power sword in 40K, is a genetically engineered cat-woman in a skintight nurse outfit being protected by a robotic kitsune in Infinity...
>>
>>49341155
But AoS is perfect, and 40k is good for "narrative" battles, u fag.
>>
>>49341248

Good and bad are subjective. I believe the general opinion however is that Infinity has less interesting lore because it's pretty generic...

The human factions are fighting off the invading aliens, and fighting each other because humans, and humans can't unite. Woe is them.

The Aliens are invading to conquer humanity, because the evil Alien Computer needs more resources to figure out the meaning of life... so we're just in the way.

THEY FIGHT! It's not exactly compelling.
>>
>>49341210
>I won't lie, I hate link teams. I wish they would have stayed a tohaa specific thing.
Link teams predate Tohaa, and also the Steel Phalanx. They came out in the first release of Human Sphere, and were merely updated to be compatible with N3 in HSN3.
>>
Warmahorde dudes are conspicuously quiet in all of this.
>>
>>49341323
Wow, u just described whole "cool" 40k plot in few words, just missed "nothing personel, kid" grimderpness.
>>
>>49341343
Thet say in their tread, that mk3 killed robots vs beasts. Its sad. Actually, i fail to find how is 40k lore more original than Iron kingdoms, for example.
>>
>>49341343

What should they say? They never rose high enough to topple either 40K or Warhammer (when it was around), it looks like Age of Sigmar might be outperforming it... and that new prepainted game X-Wing stole the top spot it wanted to claim from GW for ages...

Basically, what have they got to defend? Mediocre is the entire thing they've done.
>>
>>49341326

Shows what I know. Still think they're bullshit. Like grey knight purifiers.

This guys are a cohesive fighting force, but THESE guys? They're extra cohesive! They make a point to call out enemy threats, but only to they're close buds. They also give each comforting hugs and speak sweet words in their friends ears, so the stress of someone firing rockets and acid bullets their way doesn't bother them at all and they actually shoot with increased confidence and accuracy!

It's still bullshit anon. Yes I mad.
>>
>>49341345

Got anything good from Infinity I missed?
>>
File: IMG_2210.jpg (139KB, 991x687px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2210.jpg
139KB, 991x687px
Less talk more cool minis
>>
>>49341385

not played personally, but i thought it was roundly touted as one of the best 'games'?
the amount of tournament attention seems to suggest that (vs things like infinity, malifaux)
never as popular as GW, though as you say.
>>
>>49341406
Well, i like that most new human sculpts look like human.
>>
>>49341410
Time to 40kfags to show up and tell us bout their "original" and "interesting" shoulderpads.
>>
>>49341477

Indeed, Infinity is true scale. That has good points and bad points, so I didn't think it warranted being brought up.

Pros: Looks good, especially for display, lot of work goes into the anatomy, so when you have an alien foe you can really see the difference.

Cons: It's a metal miniature with extremely thin shoulder and wrist joints and sword as thick as a needle. You better believe you'll have broken something by your sixth game!
>>
>>49341406
Some like anime and halo, some like "crawling in my skin", but why is "crawling in my skin" considered "superior, interesting, rich, original" in the world of 40kfags?
>>
>>49341226
>Recreate a Scotsman hero, well known to care a great deal about his fellows, and rebelled against invaders
>Get surprised when he rebels against you, and allies with the planet full of scots
Well shit. What did they think would happen?

And honestly, the high number of Dog Soldiers makes things a tad bit shifty. I mean, when you can reliably control and command those creatures that inflict the genetic rape, and you live on a fairly civilized, albeit rugged, world that actually has cities and guns, along with the fact that the Antipode hybrid soldiers make kick ass soldiers, makes it seem far less a "unfortunate" acident, and more a deliberate action.
>>
>>49341544
And what good points of fucked up scale in BEST MINIS IN ZE WORLD? By the way, i dont play or own infinity, stop adding this to my posts.
>>
>>49341555

Which is more different in a sci-fi setting between these two?

Fantasy with sci-fi trappings.

Or

Sci-fi setting with anime trappings.

One is standard cake with a new topping. The other is a different flavor with the vanilla topping.

Neither are original, but one is more 'different' than others.

Lore of Infinity, Dropzone Commander, Halo, Warpath, Planetfall... and WH40K.

One of these things is not like the others...~
>>
>>49341604

Better question then, if you just like to look at the pretty miniatures - why do you care?

Incidentally, I play WH40K, WHF, AoS, AVP, Necromunda, Warmachordes, Dropzone Commander, WH40K: EPIC, Unchartered Seas.

Insulting 40K bothers me not one jot, I am true neutral.
>>
>>49341609
>One of these things is not like the others
In 40kfag world, maybe. Also, star wars called, it want its science fantasy back, not to mention dune, lovecraft and burroughs.
>>
>>49341609
Well, space fantasy is somewhat rare nowdays, I give you that.
>>
>>49341639

>AVP

The board game? Does the stuff fit back into the box once you assemble it? Is it worth the what seems like ludicrous price tag?
>>
>>49341639
I just cant get this "40k haz best lore, best minis, its most original" meme, that is all.
>>
>>49341713
Prodos one. They do sell mini separately
>>
>>49341729
"40k is best and original because it is unique and better than everyone else."
>>
>>49341704
>Also, star wars called, it want its science fantasy back, not to mention dune, lovecraft and burroughs

Sorry, I refer only to games with miniatures, Star Wars doesn't count as we only have X-Wing space combat, which doesn't show the laser-swords and swinging across space station chasms.

>>49341709
>Well, space fantasy is somewhat rare nowdays, I give you that.

Honestly can't think of another setting which is straight up fantasy dropped into lasers and space, so yes I think that lends an edge. Not exactly original, but 'different'.

>>49341713

1. Yes. 2. No, and I wouldn't recommend it. Predator wrist-blades and alien tail tips will break if roughly handled in the material. 3. Do you really like the setting? I would recommend the core box as it's a bit of a discount compared to getting the stuff separately, good luck finding a game though...
>>
>>49341456
Warmachine swelled to its largest right as Warhammer 40k entered 6th edition.

40k 5th edition was a pretty solid golden age for tournament 40k. During 5th edition pretty much every faction of the game, short of Sisters and tyranids, enjoyed their times in the sun with pretty unique lists and approaches. Powerful armies would crop up for a year and fade for other armies down the line in a smooth shifting meta. The closest the game came to legitimate balance. Nova was just kicking off and movements towards competitive play were being embraced by the community.

Then the approaching 6th edition came. The year before 6th saw Grey Knights show up and completely destroy the meta in every way possible, then necrons got their update and the state of balance went to hell in a hand basket.

By the time 6th dropped all it took was one look at the lack of substancial change and the insanity of the original allies rules to completely destroy the competitive scene for the players. MANY dropped 40k for Warmachine, which claimed to be the safe haven of people still wanting to play a competitive wargame and Warmachine swelled and was filled with older 40k players that hate current GW for ruining their fun.

The problem is that Warmachine, like all wargames, has balance issues and they have been doing shit to really fix it, so the players are stuck with a visually less appealing game, but a slightly better rules system.

Its players try to keep the hype, but MkIII is fucking awful, as bad a transition as 5th to 6th in 40k so they are all having flashbacks.
>>
>>49341729
I haven't praised 40K's lore once in this thread. My entire focus has been on 40K's visual design, especially regarding its minis.

Just because someone is praising 40K doesn't mean they're praising every aspect of it.
>>
>>49341782
Imperial Assault called, but itz not miniz game ,so itz not count, right?
And what is "different" bout 40k, exactly?
>>
>>49341729
>I just cant get this "40k haz best lore, best minis, its most original" meme, that is all.

It's not the best, it just has a lot going for it. It's largely plastic, easy to assemble, so even if it looks like badly proportioned crap, it's easy to put together.

It has 20+ years of lore. Only Star Wars, Trek, etc come close (yes yes, Battletech...)

You can find a game or players literally anywhere.

There is literally no other game which is fantasy with lasers and swords but Star Wars, and until I get a camp where a line of rebel troopers defend a generator in an ice field from advancing Stormtroopers, it will remain likely the only one...
>>
>>49332308
I don't get about people defending Warhammer lore. The concepts are heavily outdated and instead of improving they keep breeding more of these horrid designs. They have this old-fashioned unplausible fantasy/unpolished theme like the first editions of D&D, first two warcrafts, first editions of mtg etc and complexity of a power metal song. Reading into it makes me invokes feelings of doubt and cringe. Everything is over the top, unimaginative and doesn't fit together.
>>
>>49341737

Yeah, Prodos one is what I meant. Heard that company is shit btw. Thoughts?

>>49341782

There's a local shop that had the main box, but it's like 90 bucks or something.

Why the shit, after all this time, the best aliens minis are the ones from horroclix. Maybe that's what they were thinking when they made them, jack up the price to absurd levels so only a few people buy them, because certainly if the box was a reasonable price nobody would buy them.

The Prodos minis look nice, and even if the system was shit, I bet you couldn't keep the game on the shelf if it retailed for like 60 bucks.
>>
File: 087.jpg (154KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
087.jpg
154KB, 1024x768px
>>49341814
>Imperial Assault called, but itz not miniz game ,so itz not count, right?

It's a board game. It gets to wrestle Blood Bowl, Space Hulk, Descent, Dungeon Saga, etc.
>>
>>49341846
40K was never meant to be taken seriously.
>>
>>49341786

thanks, missed out on this era so appreciate the history
(genuinely not being sarcastic, even though this is 4chan after all)
>>
>>49332308
Wait, what. People actually prefer 40k miniatures over ifinity/warmahordes? When it comes to sculpts you should either have your own theme (like the cartoonishness of wmh) or try to achieve realistic high quality models (infinity). 40K has neither. I do admit some of their models are absolutely top notch (adeptus mechanicus), but the vast majority looks like something my 9 year old brother could sculpt from playdough (orcs, most things in power armor, astra militarums sans tempestus and many more).
>>
>>49341871
Oh, really? Then why all grimderpness?
>>
>>49341900
Shhh, stop it.
>>
>>49341871
This.
People like >>49341846 are the tryhards that don't get that the setting, internally, is deadly serious, but the wackiness is entirely a meta thing that players are supposed to get and laugh at.
>>49341900
Apparently you have never seen heroic scale minis before, because if Warmahordes and Infinity are the only examples you can bring to bear, you need to look at more companies.
>>
>>49341900
>Wait, what. People actually prefer 40k miniatures over ifinity/warmahordes?

No, everyone thinks Infinity looks better.

It's just you can clip out a Space Marine and glue him together with any plastic glue you got in a store.

Infinity requires shaving (Or the LIMBS WILL NOT FIT) and you need a fast acting adhesive glue. Super glue will not bond the material.

Don't even try to pin, the pieces are too thin.

But other than that, yes, Infinity is fantastic.
>>
>>49341930
Because the lunatics started running the asylum.
>>
>>49341961
This may have been true for older scuplts, but their current digitally sculpted models are about the easiest models to assemble out there.
>>
>>49341871
Until it was.
>>
>>49341930
>grimderpness

Because it's creators are English. Judge Dredd? 2000AD? Blake's 7?

The future, despite what America (Star Trek) shows, will be horrifying, dystopian, is their general opinion.
>>
>>49342054
That's the stupid Americans, anon, not everyone else.
>>49342065 says it fastest.
>>
>>49341946
I don't mean that the setting is wacky. It's just really unprofessional. The events that shaped the history were very unlikely to happen for a myriad of reasons and many things that are accepted without rising an eyebrow really throw the coherence off balance. Many of the books are very poorly written (like eragon level poor, plus more grimdankness). But what is most insulting is the level of "dogmas" in infinity universe everything has a plausible background and developed organically. You can accept panoceania being the superpower because the economic shift caused by Americas and Europe collapse is forseable. You can accept Nomads being a bunch of outlaw sperglords that decided to unite, because Aleph is a reasonable threat to their independence. And evolved intelligence is one of the coolest concepts I've seen in a while. But in Warhammer world, random shit happens because a)extraplanar entities will it and b)people in charge are braindead. And this random shit forms majority of canon plot.
>>
File: highfivenow.png (13KB, 159x184px) Image search: [Google]
highfivenow.png
13KB, 159x184px
>>49342065
>>
>>49341961
>Super glue will not bond the material
It will, but not GW's because Citadel glue is as adhesive as spit.
>>
>>49342102
>very unlikely to happen for a myriad of reasons
Anon, stop taking it seriously, please.
Even then, you are talking about a setting set far beyond any of your examples, where humanity as an empire has risen and fallen, with 40k set in the ashes.
Your complaints about "random shit" tells me that you
1. Don't understand the setting norms
2. Haven't read enough of the setting to know why the things you call "random" actually happen.
>>
>>49342160

http://infinitytheforums.com/forum/topic/41422-pinning-and-small-joints/

Infinity has a topic on bonding the joints of miniatures every month or so... yes, it can be done, but pretending it's not an issue is childish.
>>
File: 1240236525228.png (162KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
1240236525228.png
162KB, 400x400px
>>49342102
>You can accept panoceania being the superpower because the economic shift caused by Americas and Europe collapse is forseable. You can accept Nomads being a bunch of outlaw sperglords that decided to unite, because Aleph is a reasonable threat to their independence. And evolved intelligence is one of the coolest concepts I've seen in a while.

Yes, the setting where space monkey men invade the Space America fighting the Space Muslim and everyone has anime mecha suits and your medics are skimpily dressed catgirls is believable.

Also, PACIFIC RIM TOTALLY MADE SENSE, AND WAS NOT JUST ABOUT COOL GIANT ROBOTS FIGHTING MONSTERS.
>>
File: 1433888057936.png (217KB, 1000x1087px) Image search: [Google]
1433888057936.png
217KB, 1000x1087px
>>49342102
>It's just really unprofessional

Over here with my superior miniatures, watching you get mad.
>>
>>49339585
Field Manual sourcebooks for general lore, and if you really like Tabletop Fiction (you know, really pretty bad), the go-to Battletech novels are the Warrior and Blood of Kerensky trilogies.

This post is also biased as fuck. We've moved on from Space America beating up on everything to everyone beating up on religious extremists and then to Space-edge, now with fewer giant robots!
>>
>>49342177
"Setting norms" don't excuse fanfictionesque writing and OC Doughnut Steel level characters. Some of the 40K universe is actually suprisingly well designed, like adeptus mechanicus, orcs or the notions embodied by chaos gods, but that's like sifting through shit to find corn. I know this is because the original team consisted of not so bright people in times when worldbuilding standards weren't a thing, but c'mon, every other big franchise adopted its writing (with the exception of mtg, which did it quicker than others and then reversed back to shit with onset of origins)
>>
File: Tellmegrass.jpg (50KB, 346x500px) Image search: [Google]
Tellmegrass.jpg
50KB, 346x500px
>>49342245
>This post is also biased as fuck. We've moved on from Space America beating up on everything to everyone beating up on religious extremists and then to Space-edge, now with fewer giant robots!

Wait, Infinity has LORE?! Since when?!
>>
>>49341786
Holy shit this^ I'm one of the people that dropped 40k in 6th. 40k in 5th was the most fun I've had with a tabletop game ever. Then they fucked it all up by powercreeping the shit out of the game.

I jumped to Magic and only paint the miniatures now, I didn't like warmachine's jacks, but the players that went to warmachine were big on the "Fuck GW" train and still pull the snideness as their own game is now a sinking boat.

>>49342102
What >>49342177 said
The majority of 40k is crazy stupid shit on the top, flashy models, but underneath is a setting that for the most part covers a lot of the minutia and what isn't explicably said is implied or left for interpretation.

Is it all good, FUCK no...
Does it have many areas of its lore that are amazing, FUCK yes!
>>
File: slowpoke.jpg (25KB, 345x397px)
slowpoke.jpg
25KB, 345x397px
>>49342245
>We've moved on from Space America beating up on everything to everyone beating up on religious extremists

Halo did it first.
>>
>>49341557
They wanted him to lead the Scots into Civil War with the other Ariadnan factions.

Instead Nomads hijack him and reprogram him to hate ALEPH.

Top kek.
>>
>>49332308
>>49332325
>>49332345
>AoS
>balance
Kek
>>
File: Sin-tĆ­tulo-5.jpg (30KB, 400x500px) Image search: [Google]
Sin-tĆ­tulo-5.jpg
30KB, 400x500px
>>49342102
>in infinity universe everything has a plausible background

Oh, I'm sure...
>>
>>49341557
>a deliberate action.
Definitely possible.

Ariadna still has a lot of dangerous frontier areas though.
>>
>>49342102
>infinity universe
>plausible background

... uh huh.
>>
>>49341782
>tar Wars doesn't count as we only have X-Wing space combat

There are at least 2 other star wars mini games m8.
>>
>>49342395
Shady war politics and sluts happen. Immeasurably huge civilizations that universally, fanatically share unreasonable and unbiased notions that push them to kneecap themselves or ruin big chunks of the galaxy happen slightly less often.
>>
>>49342102
You can tell Infinity was written by a student of history.
>>
>>49341865
Calth is a boardgame too...
>>
>>49342222
Aliens.

Unified South America/India/Australia.

Reformed Islam in reaction to the fundamentalist lunatics of today.

What is so unbelievable about that?
>>
>>49339456
Hah.
>>
>>49342395
You don't need underwear when you wear a giant robot suit.
>>
>>49342438
Not a real model, but is a pretty sick conversion.

The butt part is from a TAG pilot, and they have a bunch of skin based hookups so don't wear many clothes.
>>
>>49341961
>No, everyone thinks Infinity looks better.

I don't, nothing about Infinity interests me in any way aesthetically.
>>
>>49332308
>He keeps calling saying PanO is America

>>49339575
>Space Marines
>Subtle design
bruh
I love 40k fluff and design but calling it "subtle" only shows how ignorant you are of art and design.
>>
File: 1427913283196.jpg (763KB, 1694x1342px) Image search: [Google]
1427913283196.jpg
763KB, 1694x1342px
>>49342456
>Immeasurably huge civilizations that universally, fanatically share unreasonable and unbiased notions that push them to kneecap themselves or ruin big chunks of the galaxy happen slightly less often.

Part of the fun.
>>
no dog in this fight, but some of the excuses being peddled rabidly defending their toys is incredible.
>>
>>49342460
I can't tell whether you are being ironic or not. It's safer to asume that you are.
>>
>>49342531
Of course not. Their attire was accidentally designed to be sexual.
>>
>>49342574
Baron von Evilsatan (iirc) 's whitewashing of the Imperium never fails to make me gag.
>>
As somebody that has not bought into any of the miniature wargames I have to say that 40k really is the best looking.

Everything else anybody ever posts makes me think of deviant art next to the louvre that is 40k.
>>
>>49342489
>What is so unbelievable about that?

Are you serious? Everything is owned by megacorporations, which are fighting each other for worlds and trade rights, the old world Government and the Marine Corps try to curb their ambitions and keep the peace...

And they all want to capture this xenomorph? Why? What advantage is there to it than engineering a local lifeform? Do they not notice when it gets loose it WIPES OUT ENTIRE worlds?

If there was a major war where they needed something to win I'd understand, but it's just humans poking fire for no reason...

Aliens is fun but you don't think about it. At all.
>>
>>49341961
>No, everyone thinks Infinity looks better.
I already played halo ODST and mass effect, this game's models do nothing to me. Heavy detail doesn't overcome how generic or uninspired their models are.
>>
>>49342531
>they have a bunch of skin based hookups so don't wear many clothes

Conveniently, all the hook up points are on their bosom and rears? Because other than a few upper arms and thighs, everything is cover...

Really stop, it's like Quiet the Sniper out of MGS5 - "She breaths through her skin, that's totally why she doesn't wear clothes..."

Just say, it's cheese cake for sexy toy soldiers.
>>
>>49342616
>whitewashing
Except it's basically true.
In 40k, Mars is a shithole, and the Admech have lost nearly all of the technological basis of the shit they make. They can make rust stalkers, but literally do not know how to turn them off, because their creator died before telling anyone how.
This is the kind of explanation people like >>49342102 needs, because they aren't ready to absorb the lore enough to understand why the Admech are the way they are.
>>
>>49339403
Haqqislam just bugs me. It's like creating a faction in your sci-fi game called the "Enlightened Nazism" that is a new form of socially progressive Nazism for the modern age. It's in really poor taste.
>>
>>49342674
So like the Imperium of man?
>>
>>49342623
>>
>>49342704

But y'know, without the justification that if the Imperium isn't harsh and brutal, monsters from the Id will pour into reality from little Timmy's mind to rape his father with a barbed penis while eating his mommy like a tootsie pop before his eyes...
>>
>>49342704
The Imperium of man are explicitly the bad guys and the fluff doesn't have pretensions of them being socially conscious or enlightened.
>>
>>49342674
The imperium is when religious oligarchy meets feudalism, not Nazism. Individual worlds and forces may lean that way but the Imperium's structure is feudalist at best.
>>
>>49342725
>kys
nice argument

>>49342438
>>49342395
>>49341410
>>49339716
>>49339092
>>49338941
Disgusting.

People actually paid money for this garbage.
>>
File: 1252153048848.jpg (22KB, 336x400px) Image search: [Google]
1252153048848.jpg
22KB, 336x400px
>>49342623
>>
>>49332308
Love me some 40k, it's actually growing in my area.
>>
>>49342623
As somebody who has bought into almost all of them, I disagree.

Explain actual reasons why you think they're best. No "they just are", "it makes no sense", or "animu grills make me uncomfortable/don't have a place in space" actual reasons, mate.
>>
File: 1407936001344.jpg (232KB, 1116x1358px)
1407936001344.jpg
232KB, 1116x1358px
>>49342835
>animu grills make me uncomfortable

They really should, Anon. Anime is for little girls.
>>
>>49342746
This.
The Imperium is the protag of the setting to be sure, but NO one, even it's own leaders, say it is objectively a good thing, just the best they have to survive.
>>49342760
>>49342835
Infinity very much has a style to it's design, and it comes down to whether or not you like it.
To me, it feels... wrong. They tried to blend western sensibilities in design with faux anime shit, and it looks like the half assed wannabe anime deviant art tier trash I've seen for the last 20 years in mini form.
Actual Japanese figmas and garage models look good. These look like poor knock-offs by people trying to ride the anime wave that ended 6 years ago.
>>
File: picardbrush.png (575KB, 987x592px) Image search: [Google]
picardbrush.png
575KB, 987x592px
>>49342835
>Explain actual reasons why you think they're best.

JUSTIFY YOUR ENJOYMENT ANON
>>
>>49342835
>Explain actual reasons why you think they're best
Because they are the most aesthitic

>>49342438
I don't have an issue with anime girls in space, hell I wish somebody would make some decent minis of it

but this is garbage, just look at that face.

I can't tell from this angle but her left arms looks like a macaroni noodle with a backwards elbow.

aside from the miniture being oddly shaped and the face looking like a late term abortion the entire character looks like something some 37 year old virgin named ted drew for his deviantart account in between masturbating to evangelion and fingering himself with his cheeto entrusted hands.
>>
>>49342835
>EXPLAIN... but don't use opinions or your own personal tastes

How about YOU explain why they aren't then asshat, it has to be completely non subjective, purely factual as well.
>>
File: youassume.jpg (138KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
youassume.jpg
138KB, 400x400px
>>49342835
>As somebody who has bought into almost all of them, I disagree
>>
>hey guys this is a legitimate setting
>we are totally not just pandering to horny nerds that can't separate masturbation and hobby time
>>
File: 1473803054913.jpg (116KB, 809x555px) Image search: [Google]
1473803054913.jpg
116KB, 809x555px
>>49343050
>>
>>49339556

The resculpts for those Knights are quite a bit bigger but Infinity power armor is more muscle suit than mechanical pistons and servos like space marine armor
>>
>>49343068

No no, remember she needs all that bare skin... for connection points...

>Infinity fans try to justify cheesecake
>>
>>49339575

The guys on the right are literally Catholic Knights who live in monasteries and pray all day when they aren't going on about pagans
>>
>>49342667
>Just say, it's cheese cake for sexy toy soldiers.
But it's not, it's cheese cake for middle-aged Spanish men.
>>
File: vajra.jpg (20KB, 604x340px) Image search: [Google]
vajra.jpg
20KB, 604x340px
>>49343068
Wait, is that a vajra next to her?
>>
>>49343091
Wait, why does cheesecake require justification?
>>
File: Three_Sisters_Repentia.jpg (86KB, 873x627px) Image search: [Google]
Three_Sisters_Repentia.jpg
86KB, 873x627px
>>49343050
40k would do it if all their women didn't look like trannies.
>>
File: moira.jpg (226KB, 809x555px) Image search: [Google]
moira.jpg
226KB, 809x555px
>>49343272
>Nun?
>Over-sized weapon?
>Cheese cake?

Infinity confirmed to be ripping off 40K...
>>
File: 99800112015_DEPrisonersNEW_01.jpg (50KB, 920x950px) Image search: [Google]
99800112015_DEPrisonersNEW_01.jpg
50KB, 920x950px
>>49343272
>>
>>49340512
Dropzone Commander - fairly well balanced, 10mm is cool as fuck, everything can win against everything, battlegroup activation is cool. >Ad Vindictam
Malifaux 2nd edition - Before I got into miniature games, I was playing standard 52 card deck games. As far as I can tell, balance is pretty good.
Star Wars Armada - inb4 prepainted models, despite the goofy movement tool FFG made, the ships actually reflect the amount of power they have on a naval combat scale.
Warhammer 40k 5th edition - where I started this all. Simple game at the time, only had small amounts of points for most of the edition (<1500) did well for small games and balance.
Bolt Action 1st edition - Technically equal with WH40k 5th since they're essentially the same game. The only downside is that there's not models for most units and it's very slow and random activation sequences can fuck a game in an instant.
Infinity - ARO is a cool mechanic, too many special rules
Battletech - yes it's dated, but the movement and hex style is pretty different from everything else in the list, needing 2d6 and only 2d6 is great, even if 2d6 is highly volatile.
Warmahordes 3rd - They made it so having a bunch of big stompies doesn't fuck you over instantly, much better than 2nd, which was Dudesmahordes.
Warhammer 40k 7th Edition - there's no specific balance, but it's better base rules than 6th
Warhammer Fantasy - There were balance issues all over the place, maih, wnly with cavalry being pretty shitty.
Star Wars Attack Wing - Not a huge fan, but nothing really against it, rules are alright, not a fan of the mechanics themselves.
Star Trek Attack Wing - the Attack Wing movement scale makes sense for Star Wars (fighters) but not for Star Trek (capital ships)
AoS - So i put my dudes in the middle of the table and roll dice at you while you do the same...oh we're doing a scenario? Ok, so we put our dudes here and here and then roll dice at each other. Way to fucking simplified.
>>
File: 280561-0407_1.jpg (457KB, 1920x805px) Image search: [Google]
280561-0407_1.jpg
457KB, 1920x805px
>>49343319
If you're going to use the same few tired examples, at least try to make sure they are the most up-to-date versions of those examples.
>>
>>49343367
>Star Wars Attack Wing
Go fuck yourself.
>>
>>49343367
>Bolt Action 1st edition - The only downside is that there's not models for most units

What are you talking about?
>>
>>49339800
That't the most REEEEEEE argument I've heard in this board.
>>
>>49343393
Holy shit this stuff is awful!

I thought Infinity was more halo sci fi. This thread really shows a side of Infinity I've never seen before. My interest in this game is dying so fast...
>>
>>49343536
>My interest in this game is dying so fast...

Literally nobody cares.
>>
File: Tankhunter HMG.jpg (21KB, 349x349px) Image search: [Google]
Tankhunter HMG.jpg
21KB, 349x349px
>>49342870
>They really should
Oh they do

>>49342901
>2nd line except 1st statement
That's the kind of explanation I was looking for, and I actually have to agree to some of it. With Infinity though, I see it as more of a model by model basis. Pic related looks like something out of Metro 2033/Last Light and I love it. Some of the Nomads/PanO stuff? can't get behind it.

>>49342941
>Because they are the most aesthetic
Damnit Dropzone Commander General, you've ruined me with your a e s t h e t i c memes...

>but this is just garbage, just look at that face
If I remember correctly, that face is from one of the earlier infinity models and yeah, the sword arm looks weird.
However, someone said it was a conversion, so i'm not sure if there's anything redeeming about it.

>>49342967
>purely factual as well.
If I really wanted to waste more time than I already have, I would edit the Pepsi logo document that shows up in filename threads as "roll for san loss"
But you get the general idea, I just wanted to get some actual thoughts behind it and be an asshat.

>>49343008
>smug anime face reaction
I never assumed that (you) cared in the first place, I phrased it like the post I was replying to intentionally.
>>
>>49343393
These look way better.
>>
>>49339800
>There's nothing that makes Marines out to be generic carbon copies of each other besides lazy as fuck space marine players too poor or too lazy to buy bits to properly represent a chapter's appearance. Thank god at least the Horus Heresy did a good job on clamping down on idiots fielding identical marines.

Alpha legion says hi bitch!
>>
>>49343558
>See pic related
And people think GW is overdesigning...
>>
File: Sin-tĆ­tulo-1.jpg (29KB, 400x500px)
Sin-tĆ­tulo-1.jpg
29KB, 400x500px
Best battle nun.
>>
>>49343476
Now see, I could care to name it what they've actually named it, but even you can see that it's Star Trek Attack Wing 2.0; star wars boogaloo.

>>49343477
I played Russians for a while, and if I remember correctly (I'm probably not) there weren't naval troopers, and a lot of the specialized troopers or gun platforms.
Granted, if there are models, most of them are the Warlord Games models that are 90's GW tier.
>>
>>49343621
There are literally dozends of companies producing 28mm ww2 stuff.

Naval troopers are available from warlord (i know for sure because i have them in my basket for like 2 month but struggle with myself if i really want them) and probably a couple other companies too.

>gun platforms

The only thing thats missing (for russians) are very heavy artillery pieces (200mm and above) which have no place the table anyway because they would fire from kilometers away.

Warlord releases new stuff all the time so its entirely possible that some stuff was not out at the time you played the game.
>>
>>49343607
>Shooting like that

I've only played FPS to get my combat poses...
>>
>>49343709
>Some stuff wasn't out at the time
For sure, it's been a few years since my game store quit it.
>>
>>49332308

X-wing will be on lifesupport in 5 years, while 40k celebrates 35 years
>>
>>49343890
>people are going to get bored of a fun, quick to play game with good rules set in a universe most people enjoy

What is your justification for this assumption?
>>
>>49343393
I actually collect a bit of infinity, and I will admit, I give the Nomads a overall pass when it comes to silly/lewd stuff (Although I think its rather odd for the Nunnery units to dress so provocative clothing, considering they are legit nuns.) However, I dislike a good proportion of the other factions female mini's; especially those that dress the woman out of line with the other members of the squad. Nothing bugs me more than a unit having a four man unit, with three full grown men in boots and body armor, and than a teenage looking woman, toitering around in high heels and her breasts bobbing about.

Now, granted, this isnt all that common a occurance with their new releases, and those "Pinup" models do certainly look nice on their own; but, as a wargame, I want there to be a touch more of seriousness to it, when it comes to factions like PanO, Yu Jing, Haqqislam or Aridana. ALEPH, The Combined and Toa are sort of a outlier, as they are bit beyond your normal faction.

But, if I had to pick one set that examplifies everything I hate about infinity, it would be the Caledonian Volunteers; once again, its a old kit, but just the presentation of it: you have three, gruff kilt wearing scots, that look like actual militia. But than, you've got something right off the side of WW2 bomber, bumbling around with a grenade launcher, not even wearing a bra. Its awful.

Now, I like I said, Infinity has gotten better; but things like the USAridana tactical sweater vest still ruffle my feathers just a bit. But even than, its still FAR more tasteful than pic related
>>
>>49343890
Star Wars is extremely popular and nothing within the next 5 years will stop that.

On the contrary. The next movies will boost the game even more.
>>
>>49341786
>40k 5th edition was a pretty solid golden age for tournament 40k.
Tell that to Chaos.
>>
>this game has TITS in it, how horrible

I'd better play game with titty volunteers than game with retarded toddlers in power armor.
>>
>>49343890
it can easily bloat too much by then, but 40k is already a bloated mess.
>>
>>49343621
But its Star Wars X-Wing 2.0: Star Trek Boogaloo
>>
>>49344444
But anon, girls are yucky.
>>
>>49344152
>(Although I think its rather odd for the Nunnery units to dress so provocative clothing, considering they are legit nuns.

Might be a bit of Dune's Honoured Matres in there, with only a Christian varnish on top, and a very peculiar Christianity at that.
>>
>>49344444
I'd rather play a game that doesnt have to have badly done tits on every other miniature so as to keep my attention. Especially in a game that has so many examples of good miniatures, it pisses me off to see good time and talent wasted on potato faced whores, instead of nicely done mini's.

>>49344551
Thats true. I would consider PanO's religion very teniously connected to the Roman Catholic church, while Haqqislam might as well be a new religion all together.
>>
>>49344444
Pentas confirm
>>
>>49344719
>I'd rather play a game that doesnt have to have badly done tits on every other miniature so as to keep my attention.

I have only one titty miniature out of 30 minis collection. Meanwhile, all my 40k collection fully consists of retarded toddlers with potato everyting. The only thing shittier than the 40K minis is it's ruleset. Thank God I don't have to play that trash anymore.
>>
>>49342671
No, I don't need that. I already knew what Admech is like, because they are my favourite faction after 1ksons and I play them. Just because I recognise the absurdity of 40k universe doesn't mean I don't know it sufficiently.
>>
>>49344364
>What was Lash of Submission...
>>
Why do so many people not understand the point of heroic scale?
>>
>>49344364
You mean one of the dexes that didn't get updated in 5e?
>>49345320
Because they are here to troll, not actually play the game.
>>
>>49341846
not enough discussions of the characters preferred pronouns for you?
>>
File: Criminalscumbath.jpg (23KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
Criminalscumbath.jpg
23KB, 400x300px
>>49344444
>>this game has TITS in it, how horrible

>Pretends that's the same as anime school girls half clothed cheesecake.

>I like animu girls, BECAUSE I'M LITERALLY A REPRESSED PEDOPHILE.
>>
>>49345320

None of them actually play Infinity, or they'd know how hard they are to assemble... they just wanna complain about GW stuff.
>>
>>49345320
>the point of heroic scale
Overcoming now obsolete limitations of mold manufacturing capabilities.
>>
>>49345745
>Overcoming now obsolete limitations of mold manufacturing capabilities

And yet Infinity producers can't understand how to shift to plastic...
>>
File: DSCF7607.jpg (295KB, 1600x882px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF7607.jpg
295KB, 1600x882px
I think both infinity and 40/30k look great
>>
>>49345745
Actually its to make assembly easier and make the heads/hands/weapons more visible at usual playing distances.
>>
>>49345812
Those are heavy coversions and don't say anything about sculpt quality.
>>
>>49345320
>the point of heroic scale
Looking ugly and outdated in 2016?
>>
>>49345878
it's Medusan Immortals for 30k from FW
>>
>>49339715
>Imagine the outrage if GW decided to release properly proportioned miniatures
The new deathwatch minis are far more properly proportioned than any minis gw has put out, and people love them.
>>
>>49346007
>and people love them.

Rightfully so. I don't like the Deathwatch iconography but the poses themselves are the best ones for Space Marines available.

I really hope for a more "generic" kit with bodies like these.
>>
>>49346007
>Over 40 years in the miniature business
>Faces still look like bastard children of doom guy and lego figurine
>>
>>49345301
Lol sure, with all that
>enjoyed their times in the sun with pretty unique lists and approaches
Oblilash. Hella loada unique lists.
>>49345591
I mean probably the biggest community outside of the guys who play imperium armies.
>>49345320
There is no point in it. Was good back in time. Now it is not.
>>
>>49346085
Using bare heads for space marines is plain silly anyway.

Maybe besides the point, but Space Marines shouldn't look like "real" people anyway so the blocky uglyness serves an actual point here. (No excuse for the heads of cadians though)
>>
>>49346007
Yep, looking pretty good.
>>49346085
Doesnt really bother me, and i am having Infinity and Malifaux (so far the two best detailed and beatiful systems atm) minis. Faces are ok, proportions and poses of average GW mini make me cry a river. And then get my scalpel and green stuff and get my hands dirty to fix the poor job of those assholes.
>>
>>49340549
>Well, if you measure mechanics by their ability to accurately convey the fluff, to create an immersive narrative gameplay experience
Then Infinity wins, because it really does feel like a tense firefight just to hack some consoles or sabotage a power grid.

Funny how 40k people when asked about solid rulesets are the first to shout "rules don't matter" or "go play vidya".
>>
>>49343068
See that "Bootleg" at the bottom? It's the cheesecake line.
Thread posts: 335
Thread images: 57

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.