[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 346
Thread images: 38

File: 1616489461616.png (2MB, 1200x1564px)
1616489461616.png
2MB, 1200x1564px
>Previously on /5eg/:
September Unearthed Arcana - The Ranger, Revised:
http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/unearthed-arcana-ranger-revised

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Previous Session:
>>49311996

How did the last TPK go for you, /5eg/?
>>
>>49317864
>How did the last TPK go for you, /5eg/?
Our party were all reincarnated by a nearby druid camp.
He was an odd guy - we all ended up as one of these. I didn't even know you could control reincarnate.
>>
Beast masters are the new best.
>>
>Whenever you gain the Ability Score Improvement class feature, your companion’s abilities also improve. Your companion can increase one ability score of your choice by 2, or it can increase two ability scores of your choice by 1. As normal, your companion can’t increase an ability score above 20 using this feature unless its description specifies otherwise.
Does this mean any class level or ranger levels?
>>
File: 5etrap.png (1011KB, 805x576px) Image search: [Google]
5etrap.png
1011KB, 805x576px
This thread is filled with faggots. Between liking the worst aspects of a ranger and shitting on any warlock entering melee ever, I want to get my collective (you) out there early.
>>
>>49317864

Still haven't had one after severals years and a couple editions of DMing. I have killed players so I'm not exactly holding back. I like to think I induced the right amount of paranoia in players that they prepare well.
>>
>>49318013
>Does this mean any class level or ranger levels?
Ranger levels if the ruling on warlock invocations sets a precedent.
>>
>>49317904
Oh, yes, there are some things that haven't changed, but I don't think ranger was too much like a rogue before.
Though do note it has always been a dex-based class, even if you have the option of using strength.

>uncanny dodge
>evasion
Both are rogue abilities.
Then, things they've added:
>advantage on initiatives
Barbarian ability
>advantage against anyone who has not had a turn yet
Assassin rogue ability
>vanish, fleet of foot
Rogue ability, except worse.
>feral senses
Kind of like the rogue's 'Blindsense' ability.
>start with an extra skill
Kind of like rogue, but worse.
>iron mind
Rogue's ability, 'slippery mind'.

It's okay to take other class abilities, but I feel it's taking from rogue a bit more than it should. It needs more things unique to ranger. They did actually put forth a bunch of interesting abilities and the changes to favoured enemy and such is nice.
But, it feels very much to rogue like wizard feels to sorcerer.
>>
>>49318066
All of that stuff except advantage on initiative and fleet of foot were already on the ranger in the PHB. It's kinda late to complain about those things existing.
>>
>>49318104
Yeah, I formatted that wront with the 'things they've added'

Iron mind wasn't there before.
Fleet of foot wasn't.
Advantage on initiative.
Advantage on anyone who hasn't had a turn yet.

So that's four things added.
Three of which are from rogue, when there's already other abilities stolen from rogue.

I wouldn't say it's too late to complain.
>>
>>49318025
Are Already Dead
>>
>>49318133
>Iron mind wasn't there before.
that actually was there in the UA that introduced the Deep Stalker awhile ago
>>
>>49318025
I don't know who you were talking to or what your conversation went like, but warlocks should not enter melee ever.
>>
>>49318025
Maybe not care so much about what /5eg/ thinks and do what you want.
It's not like anything said here really has to impact your own game after all.
>>
>>49318184
I don't give casters a choice. I will chase their asses around the battlefield if they don't position well or fall into an ambush.
>>
>>49317897
I don't see anything wrong with this.
>mfw trying to sneak cat girls into an adventurers league game
>>
>>49318133
>Advantage on anyone who hasn't had a turn yet.
>Three of which are from rogue.
You mean Assassins.
>>
>>49318216
That's fine. They didn't enter melee in that case. Melee entered them. Their priority should always be to leave, because warlocks suck dick in melee.
>>
>>49318184
>not being a 2h goliath warlock
>>
>>49318238
That's when the PAM blade warlock was a solid choice before sage advice ruled that War Caster didn't combo with PAM to let the warlock push the attacker away before it got close.
>>
>>49318261
>having a 15 or less AC with a d8 hit die with no defensive abilities whatsoever
ITE BRUH

>>49318265
Or, alternatively, you can misty step/dimension door, EB them in melee with crossbow expert, or disengage and leave melee ^_^
>>
>>49318013
Any levels. Every class has the ability score improvement feature, and the rule in question doesn't specify a class. Hi
>>
>>49318293
That's not stuff you can do as a reaction before they even get a hit.
>>
>another bladelock shitflinging session
>>
>>49318316
People get so buttmad - it's hilarious.
HEY BROS
BLADE IS THE WORST PACT OPTION - NEWS AT 11!
>>
>>49318315
Suboptimal overcosted gimmick that RAI doesn't even work.
>>
Hey all I had a question. A friend of mine is playing to start an online 5E campaign. I have some questions and a bit of a request. Does anyone have the PDF's to all of the 5E complete books aside from the PBH? Also, I haven't kept my eyes on it but what's wrong with Ranger? Mind you I haven't kept tabs on 5E as I prefer Pathfinder or Good Ol' 3.5
>>
>>49318356
It's too hard to admit that blade warlock can be fun even if it's not an option that should be recommended to anyone trying to make a strong character. "Just so you know, you're picking a very hard option to play, proceed at your own risk," isn't a reasonable position.

>>49318265
>>49318293
>>49318369
>>49318369
I'm aware.
>>
>>49318385
OP link.

Core ranger was not/isn't very good. New UA makes it much better.
>>
>>49318399
You can play a commoner and have fun.
All you nerds do is strawman - no one is saying you can't do x. People are saying x is mechanically shit *because it is*.
>>
>>49318265
Be V.Human with Moderately Armoured and Armour of Shadows and 16 dex and buy a shield. Bamm you have 18 AC.

Maybe also go tomelock with shillelagh
>>
>>49318293
>no defensive abilities whatsoever
ok
>>
Is 5 levels in UA beastmaster for an extra 4d4+(proficiency*2)+10 damage the best way to go now on any martial?
>>
>>49318422
Quarterstaff doesn't have the reach of a glaive to prevent things from getting close enough to apply disadvantage to Eldritch Blast.

Also sage advice ruled that PAM and War Caster don't work together so it doesn't matter. The combo was that PAM would give an opportunity attack and War Caster would let it be Eldritch Blast to take advantage of Repelling Blast. Shillelagh and AC wouldn't come into play.

Also LOL @ taking an armor feat. I'm not the one saying warlocks should never be in melee but I wouldn't consider an armor feat. Just multiclass something with plate if you're going to go that far.
>>
>>49318461
You have uncanny dodge? Rage damage resistance? Evasion? Something to boost your AC? The best thing you get is spells that give you temp hp (and not very much of it) as full fucking actions, spells that take you away from melee (because you should never be in melee ;) ), and possibly patron features.
You are literally second only to sorcerer in laco of defensive options, and even then only barely second.
>>
>>49318489
Multiclassing will make the companion have the same problem as the PHB Beast Master. It won't keep up on HP and it will die too easily.
>>
>>49318516
Sorcerers have access to Shield and Absorb Elements. Those are better than everything the warlock gets for defenses.
>>
>>49318219
FAQ gives you some options even if your DM is a faggot senpai.
Fight on.
>>
>>49318316
I'm almost ninety percent sure it's one troll who actually frequently responds to himself just to clog up the entire thread.
>>
>>49318356
So you admit to being a troll then?
Talking about a subject just to get people angry?
At least you're up-front about it.
>>
>>49318265
Warlocks already had proficiency with quarterstaves, so they didn't need to go blade warlock to use PAM.

As far as I know PAM does work with War Caster, only that the cantrip you use has to use the polearm (See: GFB/BB)

You could do sentinel + PAM on bladelock instead, or something.
>>
Cool shit I can do as a moon druid? Besides turning into animals and eating peoples faces off and sneaking around?
>>
Can y'all gimme your opion of 5e multiclassing?

Good? Bad? Indifferent?
>>
>>49318516
Honestly, warlocks are probably the most vulnerable in the game if they aren't using things like darkness + devil's sight and fucking the rest of their party over.
>>
>>49318592
It's not about PAM alone, it's about the reach the glaive gives. The quarterstaff doesn't stop something from getting within 5 feet of you, meaning it still gets to attack you. The glaive combo would trigger the reaction before the enemy reached you unless it had a 10 ft. or greater reach, meaning you might waste the creature's entire turn and not let it attack.
>>
>>49318538
I think the bonuses of the features from fiend pact in particular give warlocks more beef than sorcerers.
A draconic sorcerer vs a fiend lock, I think the fiend lock can take more of a beating.

>>49318586
All I do is speak the truth. That simple facts make you incredibly salty is only icing on the cake senpai~

>>49318617
I think they're slightly better off than sorcerers, at least if you're fiend, and probably if you're fey.
>>
>>49318611
It's decent as long as you don't go too MAD. Does a good job of expanding your variety of abilities without increasing your direct power, save for a few combinations.
>>
>>49318611
Indifferent. You can make some fun combos but most aren't as good as being single-classed.
>>
>>49318629
Shield will turn so many hits into misses that it will outweigh the fiend benefits. I've seen it in play over a long campaign.
>>
>>49318611
Usually bad. Sometimes nice.
I think, for instance, that you should never bother going past 14 in paladin. Just go sorcerer for the rest, or warlock if that suits your fancy.
>>
File: roll for pickpocket.jpg (36KB, 306x458px) Image search: [Google]
roll for pickpocket.jpg
36KB, 306x458px
Why are you not making your next character a Beastmaster Ranger with an Ape companion? He's literally a little babby PC. He has great stats, can throw rocks and be a babby ranger just like you. He already has two skills, so he can pick up something crazy and give your DM a headache when you argue that a Monkey could operate a Healer's Kit as long as you take Medicine.

You can even be the party rogue by giving him sleight of hand and have him grab wallets while people are in line.

There is really infinite potential when you and your monkey team up.
>>
>>49318664
All of my 1st level spellslots on my sorcerer get used on shield, but fiends get Cha + level temp hp *every* time they drop something. They also can get resistance to any damage type they want, including b/p/s.
I think that would beat out shields in the long run, especially given the things that usually end up threatening back-line-casters don't even target AC.
>>
>>49318695
Because I'm too busy making a beast ranger with a wolf companion that uses a greatsword.
>>
>>49317864
death house, players got all the way to the end, beat the boss, went upstairs, panicked, all died. It was glorious.
>>
>>49318628
That never worked and hose that thought it did were retarded munchkins.
>>
>>49318671
I'd go far enough for Destructive Wave.

>>49318703
Difference in campaign style then. I don't put the all the enemies on one side of the map and make them easy to dodge.

Think about getting absorb elements for those non-AC things. Cutting dragon breaths in half is going to save a lot of HP.
>>
>>49318611
Depends.
If you choose bad combinations, it's inefficient.
Sometimes, it's okay.

If you're a caster, you lose out HEAVILY on late-game potential.

If you're a warlock, you probably lose out less than other casters as Eldritch Blast keeps scaling but you still miss out on late-game spells such as foresight.

Martials are generally okay with multi-classing. Rogue is great to multi-class into if you use finesse weapons and your main martial class already gave you extra attack.
Some martials are slightly inefficient to multiclass into up to 5 as they both get extra attack which won't stack.

Barbarian can be good for the damage resistance, rogue gives cunning action, uncanny dodge and more utility and damage even if your class doesn't grant you more extra attacks. Paladin has a powerful level 6 or level 7 feature, fighter is sometimes a nice pick for action surge and picking up proficiencies/fighting style.

Early game, some casters benefit greatly from better armour.
Late game it probably doesn't matter a lot.
Casters should be a little wary of multiclassing.

>>49318629
Sorcerers have shield and many spellslots to use shield.
They have AC 13+dex. They have effectively 1d8 HP. They can give themselves resistance to their element.
I suppose I'd say wizards with certain set-ups and wild mage sorcerers are in fact more squishy, but a draconic sorcerer is probably better off if only due to having shield. .. And getting to fly later on out of melee combat range.
>>
>>49318716
We've established that, faggot. Keep up with the thread you simpleton. The discussion is about why the quarterstaff + Sentinel combo isn't nearly as good as the glaive + War Caster combo was thought to be.
>>
>>49318293
>>having a 15 or less AC with a d8 hit die with no defensive abilities whatsoever
>having 8 HP per level as goliath plus 1d12 damage reduction plus additional HP from false life
>thinking you need AC
wew
>>
>>49318695
I hate monkeys, that's why.
If I make a beastmaster ranger now that this UA is out, I'll be making one with a giant crab as the companion.

>>49318737
I don't think destructive wave is worth the stuff you can pick up from sorcerer, like metamagic and haste on top of higher level spell slots.

>>49318743
I'd still think fiend warlocks would beat out draconic sorcerers in the long run in most games on tankiness. But I find it funny that people are actually trying to argue that warlocks are not just the second worst class on defense, but actually *the* worst. I like you guys.
>>
>>49318705

top tier taste
>>
>>49318611
Mostly indifferent.
Some builds really benefit from it. For instance, you can almost always give up the last level of Bard for something better for support. 1st level of cleric is pretty nice.
In general just be mindful of what perks the last few levels of your class give you and try to think in terms of what scales well
>>
>>49318695
>bonus points if you call your monkey thief Tyler from the Bronx Tribe and have his second proficiency be in performance poetry.
>>
>>49318796
>thinking your full-action-to-cast minor temp hp buff is going to keep you alive in a melee with shit AC and not-great base hp in any extended fight
wew lad
>>
File: smug animango face 12.jpg (217KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
smug animango face 12.jpg
217KB, 800x600px
>>49318820
>thinking you should even have a fight lasting more than 3 rounds
>>
Opinion of multiclassing as a cleric?
What would you multiclass into if at all?
>>
>>49318629
Doesn't make me salty, it just makes you a troll, by definition. You don't need to lie to be a troll, you just need to say stuff that stirs up shit for no other reason then to stir up shit.

Pretty simple really.
>>
>>49318820
>not wanting 35 HP + 15(17) AC
wew lad
>>
>>49318825
Why are we playing 3.5?

>>49318833
I don't stir up shit. You get triggered by facts. Not only do you get triggered by facts, but you get *so* triggered that you constantly bring it up and bitch about it thread after thread. Well m8, I'm happy to keep repeating the facts to you! ^_^

>>49318850
But I can be a bearbarian and quadruple that tho
>>
>>49318603
Maintain concentration by taking con prof and warcaster, then picking your flavor of bear.
Have people ride you.
Climbing walls, maybe with people riding you.
Track things with smell, or other senses.
See in darkness with blind sight.
Web people to end a fight non lethally.
Poison people to end a fight non lethally.
Harvest your own poison.
Mingle with other animals naturally.
Make use of variant animals like Diseased Giant Rats to do even more shit your DM doesn't want you to do like contract diseases, or harvest them for later.
Free ink when you splooge into a vial as an Octopus.
Make money when you sell a rare animal to an aristocrat, then shift into a spider and skitter away in the night.
Survive the elemental planes as an elemental.
>>
File: smug animango face 52.png (87KB, 300x297px) Image search: [Google]
smug animango face 52.png
87KB, 300x297px
>>49318865
>Why are we playing 3.5?
I thought this was 5E, where encounters don't last more than 3 rounds unless some nerds in your party aren't actually doing damage
>>
>>49318830
The 1d8 damage works well with BB/GFB but honestly cleric is something casters take a 1 level dip into for armour rather than being a class that dips out.

Clerics are liable to be a bit MAD if they're not careful how they multiclass out.

If you want to multi-class, I'd recommend going paladin instead of cleric and then multiclassing once you're level 7 or so.
>>
>>49318884
>5e
>encounters not lasting more than 3 rounds
Wat.
What kind of fucked up game are you playing?
>>
>>49318865
>But I can be a bearbarian and quadruple that tho
Double, and you can't cast spells.
>>
>>49318797
>I don't think destructive wave is worth the stuff you can pick up from sorcerer, like metamagic and haste on top of higher level spell slots.

More slots I can see the argument for. It will take several turns for Haste to equal the damage output of Destructive Wave, and that's not even factoring in the advantage that party members will gain from the enemies Destructive Wave knocks prone.

The multiclass makes sense but I don't think straight paladin is as pointless as you claim.

>>49318884
Some people have DMs who think it's epic to throw a single high HP enemy at a group of cantrip-obsessed multiclassed casters and old beastmaster rangers.
>>
>>49318894
You can cast one spell bruh - you used your other on 15 temp hp ;)
>>
>>49318507
yeah, just multiclass fighter, grab the great weapon proficiency
>>
File: smug animango face 150.png (73KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
smug animango face 150.png
73KB, 300x300px
>>49318891
>>49318908
>if everyone does at least 8-10 damage per round
>a party of 6 deals probably average 40 points per round at low levels, even lowballing the number
>even higher than normal CR creatures don't have nearly enough hit points to survive a party that has an average 75% hit rate and above average damage
but muh minmax and muh battles of attrition

>>49318922
>nerds who don't know about at-will false life
>>
>>49318908
It doesn't actually take all that terribly long to beat out the damage in most combat scenarios, given you're adding improved divine smite. You also get the amazing defensive boosts of haste, and can twin it onto an ally to boots their damage and defenses by a decent margin as well. I don't think it's pointless, I just don't think it's as worth it as the multiclass.
>>
>>49318935
At will false life is cast as a level one spell ;)
>>
File: badass.jpg (48KB, 600x418px)
badass.jpg
48KB, 600x418px
>>49318695
Using my pic from the last thread, because I'm too busy making a Beastmaster Ranger with a mule companion who saved his live. He's on a epic quest to save up for a wish spell to make his mule's dick work.
>>
>>49318891
I wish my DM did longer battles.

Too often I find myself taking a turn to buff the party and then either the combat ends prematurely because I expected a proper fight.
>>
What sort of neat shit have you done as a Rogue?
>>
>>49318971
If mules had better base stats I'd totally run one.
But their base stats are pretty bad.

>>49318979
DM's are still in the 3.5 mindset for encounters. They don't realize just how much shit a party can actually handle in 5e, and how you can make really tough and engaging battles if you set up your areas and antagonists right.
>>
>>49318946
Destructive Wave is worth as many targets as it hits. Average 35 x number of targets, plus prone for your allies to more easily land melee attacks. It's not always better than Haste and Haste isn't always better.

14 is an interesting exit point for paladin. Why not 11? You'd have a whole lot more sorcery points to quicken spells and even more slots. You would get aoes that could surpass destructive wave for the times they would be useful.
>>
>>49318865
I'm not actually one of the guys you're arguing with; it's pretty definitive that Blade Pact Warlocks have a lot of mechanical difficulty and aren't as good as the other Pacts in quite a few ways.
That's not only evident in pointless masturbatory theorycrafting, it's evident in actual play, thus there's not any real point in arguing the subject from my point of view.
However, you ARE a troll nonetheless because you share an identical standpoint with me but respond exclusively insultingly to get specific responses which amuse you. It's actually not a bad thing I suppose. You aren't breaking any rules except one of the many 4chan never actually enforces, so you aren't really doing anything wrong per-say. The only way you even MIGHT get any at all is if everyone in the thread reported all of your posts at once, which of course means there's no real consequences because no one will do that.

When everyone in a group collectively agrees there's no punishment for a certain type of behavior that they negatively perceive then they don't get to complain that someone behaves in that fashion, as they waived the right by making a choice.
>>
File: smug animango face 506.png (857KB, 862x725px) Image search: [Google]
smug animango face 506.png
857KB, 862x725px
>>49318958
>Fiendish Vigor
>You can cast -false life- on yourself at-will as a first-level spell without expending a spell slot or material components
I mean if you want to complain about it being a first-level spell (1d4+4 THP):
>Effectively raises Warlock's HP by 8
>Effectively gives Warlock an out of combat Second Wind that's usable after every battle, not just short rests
>Warlock still has 2 spell slots per short rest since slots aren't used
but please keep memeing at me senpai, i love the (you)'s
>>
>>49318999
I don't do long fights because even running a 1 minute timer on PC turns with 6 players can make a 3 round combat last awhile.
>>
>>49319001
11 is a stopping point too. Usually in most games I'm going to at least stick it out through 12 though for the ABI though, since paladin is fairly MAD. And if I'm going to 12, I feel like I should just stick it out for cleansing touch since it's actually amazing.
I don't think AoE is all that integral or terribly important to a paladin build - casters and rangers can pretty much hold the AoE down.
>>
>>49319013
Or, alternatively, I could just KO something as a fiend, which takes no action and gives more temp hp after not very long at all ;)
>>
I'm DMing a campaign for my group, and we have a session tomorrow, and I have absolutely no idea what I'm going to do.

They're halfway through an adventure rescuing a dwarf innkeeper's wife, and I've been trying to keep them occupied with terrible puns while I figure out the third act. Last week I couldn't think of any names for enemies so I had to use the Wu-Tang Clan Name Generator. They wound up fighting Foolish Prophet, Tuff Genius, and Vizual Magician.

I'm rapidly running out of time. Can anybody give me a shitty, ridiculous climax to capstone the shitty, ridiculous plot I've been crawling along in? I haven't even told them who the villain is or why he took the wife. I'm so fucking desperate.
>>
>>49319013
Also if you want to be extra hilarious you learn Armor of Agathys and wade in combat with the goliath damage reduction and let people kill themselves on your enhanced thorns damage. Take Pact of the Fiend for extra shenanigans at higher levels.
>>
>>49319014
In my games we speed through combats. When everybody is prepared on the math and belts out their dice and actions quickly, it goes very fast.
>>
File: smug animango face 59.jpg (49KB, 377x563px) Image search: [Google]
smug animango face 59.jpg
49KB, 377x563px
>>49319067
>Or, alternatively, I could just KO something as a fiend, which takes no action and gives more temp hp after not very long at all ;)
Or, alternatively, you can be a fiend melee warlock and get false-life THP plus fiend THP when those run out from the first hit you take.
>>
>>49319075
They're actually aliens, part of the illuminati. The wife found out their secret, so they're going to brainwash her to forget it.
>>
Jesus there's a bunch of retards on this thread. Can't spot a troll with a neon sign above their head.
>>
>>49319075
It was all a ruse, and the dwarf innkeeper had his wife killed because he couldn't stand her cooking or her nagging. Your adventuring party is the convenient investigators who will be viciously slain by some made-up monster in order to cover his tracks. After all, once a team of adventurers goes out looking for her and never comes back, who would dare keep looking?

tl;dr make everything on the final floor of the dungeon a mimic
>>
File: laughinganimegirls#683.jpg (503KB, 976x827px) Image search: [Google]
laughinganimegirls#683.jpg
503KB, 976x827px
>>49319090
>+7 hp
>"Woah I'm a tank now!"
>>
>>49319046
Reminds me of a situation from my last session.

I'm running an encounter with 10 enemies and 1 big boss major NPC the group probably shouldn't be able to handle without losses or a retreated. The group came up with a decent plan to get an ambush by feather falling off the top of a building. They get a surprise round. The wizard uses Cone of Cold and the tempest cleric uses Channel Divinity Destructive Wave. Their aoes took out 7 of the 10 non-boss enemies. The bard, who also had Destructive Wave, used Hold Person on the boss, which he used legendary resistance to escape. The fighter went after the boss instead of trying to mop up the heavily injured remaining mooks. The enemies got their turn, and the remaining mooks plus the boss dropped the cleric, and I'm thinking this whole thing would have worked out if the bard had just tossed a third aoe into the mix.
>>
>>49319075
Time traveling wizards and kidnapping her to stop her from committing a horrible act that ends the world.

The PCs catch them in the middle of their time travel spell, and have to save themselves from being assassinated by the Wizards in the past, so the PCs never stop them in the first place.
>>
>>49319090
That shit is the most fun ever and I will wholeheartedly second it.
>>
>>49319120
With Quests gone, Generals are next.
>>
>>49319084
I run a game at a shop owned by a friend. We let some people who are not so great at simple math.
>>
>>49319124
With a bag of rats, you can be.
>>
>accidentally posted in old thread. Fuck.

Hey, /5eg/! I'm working on a character for a custom setting I'll be playing in. My goal is a Dragonborn Barbarian from some wilderness tribe who fell in love with the idea of chivalry and ideals and is trying to become a knight.

What's a good archetype and feats for this?
Any advice?
>>
>>49319124
>+8 HP at low levels isn't amazing
>>
>>49317864
My players recently blundered into a high level area that they are woefully unprepared for (it's The Tomb of Horrors) I'm actually not looking forward to what's to come at all.
>>
>>49319125
Yeah - trying a save or suck on the BBEG when there are still mooks on the field isn't what I'd recommend if you've got the opportunity to just finish the mooks.
>>
>>49319150
Tu
>>
>>49319149
Martial adept at 4th level
Wolf Totem Warrior as archetype at 3rd level
Background should be an adjusted version of Uthgardt Tribe Barbarian
>>
>>49319124
Bu
>>
>>49319146
And don't forget - if the DM says the rats aren't hostile to you and thus don't count, just cast friends on the rats and immediately drop your concentration. They automatically and explicitly become hostile toward you, and thus count for dark one's blessing ^_^
>>
>>49319151
The Tomb of Horrors just happens to exist in your area, just waiting to be found? Do you also have tarrasques on every random encounter table?
>>
>>49319149
Battlemaster Fighter, Protection Fighting Style, the maneuver where someone can get away from a guy without taking an opportunity attack, and other chivalrous things.

By not having spells I feel as if you can become extra chivalrous instead of worrying about if you have the right Jesus powers for the situation.
>>
>>49318421
Fuck off, you nerds swoop in to bash bladelock when people are picking up shillelagh as a tomelock.
>>
>>49319151
http://www.nerdsonearth.com/2015/08/tomb-of-horrors-5e-conversion/
>>
>>49319090
glah
>>
Ranger Ape companion is now a monster

Also I wonder if ranger companions could take a feat instead of ASI

Oh and RAW the companion learns languages from favored and greater favored enemy
>>
>>49319013
mry
>>
>>49319199
>when people are picking up shillelagh as a tomelock
But I think that's dumb too. The difference is that tome locks *actually provide other benefits*.
>>
>>49318958
tub
>>
>>49319216
>Also I wonder if ranger companions could take a feat instead of ASI
Since feats are 100% optional, up to the DM.
>>
>>49319190
I just starve the rats, so out of instinct they bite me.
>>
>>49319199
Shillelagh as tomelock is fine because not only does it not make you MAD, but you have two other cantrips you can pick up and the later benefits.

You can go tomelock for: shillelagh, booming blade, green glame blade
And magically, you are just as good as a bladelock in melee, WITHOUT investing invocations, and you have access to ancient secrets!
Of course, those melee cantrips will mostly be for up-close fighting, or if you've multiclassed to pick up something that makes you more tanky, or something.
>>
>>49319216
>Also I wonder if ranger companions could take a feat instead of ASI
Not at all. Ask your DM if he wants to house rule it though, since you're already using UA.
>>
>>49318935
lud
>>
>>49319236
RAI, only PCs can take feats.
But rule zero is always a thing.
>>
>>49318884
LUUUUUF
>>
>>49319256
That's because only PCs actually get ABIs which they might possibly convert to feats tho
>>
>>49319194
His random encounter tables don't have monsters, rather they have adventures.

For example, if he rolls a one on a d100, they find the Valley of Dust and Fire.
>>
>>49319216
Harambe will always be with you.
>>
>>49319248
>>49319236
say hello to my giant badger the Crossbow Expert.
>>
>>49319277
Oh that made me chuckle. Thanks senpai.
>>
File: smug animango face 419.png (39KB, 300x278px) Image search: [Google]
smug animango face 419.png
39KB, 300x278px
>>49319277
>not having an inspiring leader mule
>>
>>49319277
>>49319298
Be sure to awaken it with your friendly neighborhood Druid/Bard.
>>
>>49319093
>>49319122
>>49319127
Oh god, these are all so shitty and ridiculous. Thank you so much.
I'm definitely gonna have to go with the second one. It'll be the perfect ending to the once-peaceful family of Gunter Hafter, his wife Ommanna Hafter, and his children Emma Hafter and Yudun Hafter.

Their entire inn will now be a mimic conglomerate.
>>
>>49319149
Careful with the breath attack. Our dragonborn paladin tried to lightning breath a guy attacking the bard in a tavern, wound up blasting a hole in the wall and hitting an innocent dude crossing the street.
>>
Give your ape elven chain (no proficiency needed) and weapon master feat and then that +4 greatsword no body wanted and you'll have a great companion
>>
>>49319495
I'm giving my giant crab magic initiate. He will not be intelligent enough to actually cast anything except maybe on accident, but I will still put a wizard hat on him.
>>
using the new ranger, would a Bard/Ranger multiclass work at all?

Because if so I'm totally giving my animal companion proficiency in perform
>>
>>49319538
Why not tavern brawler for a crab?
>>
>>49319538
giving my wolf the weapon master feat
>>
>>49319561
Go for the eyes, Boo!
>>
>>49319570
Because then my crab would not also be a mage!
Also giant crabs already auto-grapple when they attack. Having a bonus action to try another grapple in case the first failed might be nice, but I'd rather just run an ABI even if my DM was silly enough to allow feats for companions.
>>
>>49319615
But then your crab can beat things with the creature it already grabbed. A halfling is an improvised weapon,
>>
>>49319696
>be a halfling ranger
>your crab swings you at enemies as you swing at enemies
>>
Holy shit, is ranger actually going to be fun to play now?
>>
>>49319730
Yes, and even more fun if your DM lets you turn it into a mini PC.
>>
>>49319730
Looks like it.
>>
So does is there any mention of barring the ability to give companions feats or is that up to DM?
and if so whats keeping me from giving my ape/wolf linguist?
>>
>>49319743
RAW feats are never a given. Always up to the DM.
>>
>>49319743
>So does is there any mention of barring the ability to give companions feats or is that up to DM?
Up to the DM.

>and if so whats keeping me from giving my ape/wolf linguist?
the DM.
>>
>>49319743
When you get an ASI your companion can boost it's stats. People want feats because it's basically the same thing, but intentionally not.
>>
>>49319743
Just teach them languages with favored enemy

Take humanoid and your wolf can speak common
>>
>>49319759
>>49319760
>>49319765
ok thanks guys, my DM is pretty lax and loves stupid bullshit so this will work out.

>>49319769
his name shall be peabody
>>
lol
I love how nobody gives a fuck about deep stalker or hunter, it's all
>I WANNA GIVE MY CRAB PROFICIENY In ARCANA AND TEACH IT LINGuISTICS
>>
>>49319819
god forbid people be excited for wizards making the weakest subclass in the game actually viable.
>>
>>49319819
is there a problem with that anon?
>>
>>49319819
Those two are fine. Beast Master is the main thing that players have wanted fixed for so long.
>>
>>49319819
But its only BM which is different
>>
I'm not super hyped for the new Ranger. That 1st level Advantage everywhere is too OP. And on the Ranger of all classes.

It needs some tweaking, is what I mean.
>>
>>49319877
That could go to the Rogue archetype, and basically make perfect sense. BM doesn't even need that power. I feel like Hunter would need something at that point though.
>>
>>49319877
It's not advantage everywhere, it's just advantage when you're out in the wild
>>
File: bear cavalry.jpg (43KB, 512x384px) Image search: [Google]
bear cavalry.jpg
43KB, 512x384px
>>49319819
Said this last thread, but I want bears with Animal Handling.
>>
>>49319943
It needs to specify Natural terrain though. As is, you get Advantage to Initiative and Attacks against targets who haven't acted!

>>49319900
Anon, you probably misquoted, but I salute your dubs.
>>
>>49319979
>It needs to specify Natural terrain though. As is, you get Advantage to Initiative and Attacks against targets who haven't acted!

only for the first turn
>>
>>49319945
Or a Medicine proficient orangutan trying desperately to stabilize you with his clumsy monkey thumbs.
Or a particularly religious Giant Weasel.
>>
>>49319979
Thanks, but I meant to reply. The 'Deep Stalker Conclave' archetype has an extra ability that's about your first turn. Putting advantage on initiative to just it would be more thematic, and appropriate on a power level scale.
>>
Am I asking too much if I told the Rogue to roll for an Athletics check to climb up a rope to get on top of a house?

Cause he failed the skill check and fell to the ground suffering 1d4 damage and since he had 4 HP left from last fight, he got KO'd
>>
>>49320029
1. What was the DC? Climbing a rope shouldn't be that hard at all. Honestly I would probably not require a check unless they're being chased or something.

2. Falling damage is 1d6 per 10 feet, nothing for under 10 feet.
>>
>>49320029
It's a reasonable thing to ask, but it's only a DC 5 to succeed as far as I have seen.
>>
>>49320029
Yes, you're shitty and treating 5e like 3.pf instead of reading the PHB.
>>
>>49320029
If the rogue is all about climbing shit a rope shouldn't require a check. If not, and he's weakened I'd say make a roll.

People usually use a rope to avoid checks.
>>
>>49320029
>Am I asking too much if I told the Rogue to roll for an Athletics check to climb up a rope to get on top of a house?
Not necessarily. I might not, but it depends: how much time does he have? Is he proficient in athletics?

>Cause he failed the skill check and fell to the ground suffering 1d4 damage and since he had 4 HP left from last fight, he got KO'd
See, that's where you made a mistake. Why should that default to him falling like a klutz?
>>
>>49320005
Still. I think it's an unwarranted boost.

>>49320015
Ah, okay. That wasn't clear. Maybe, that sounds better at least.
>>
File: image.jpg (147KB, 1123x494px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
147KB, 1123x494px
>>49320065
>>49320067
>ropes are slippery vertical faces with few handholds
>>
>>49320067
>>49320075
>>49320083

Well, his strength is 9 so I thought it would make sense he'd need a roll for it. If he was at the 10-11 I'd say he wouldn't need to do such a task.

>>49320065
>2. Falling damage is 1d6 per 10 feet, nothing for under 10 feet.

Huh, I forgot about that bit.

>>49320099
>See, that's where you made a mistake. Why should that default to him falling like a klutz?

Well, he was like climbing from a second floor ledge and fell below.

But yeah, I felt I did the wrong call in this moment. Should've allowed him to do a Dexterity saving throw to catch the ledge right there now that I look back.
>>
>>49320126
It's just difficult terrain to climb a rope no matter what your strength score you dingus.
>>
File: 1447417212572.jpg (69KB, 720x659px) Image search: [Google]
1447417212572.jpg
69KB, 720x659px
>>49319236
>feats are optional
they're in the phb, so even though it claims they are, it's kinda bullshit
if I went into a game and the GM said feats weren't allowed I would just leave
>>
>>49320245
NO FEATS
NO MULTI-CLASSING
BASIC RULES ONLY
FINAL DESTINATION
>you will never have the classic fighter, rogue, cleric, wizard party
>>
>>49320279
Just make them play only those, and only let them pick different classes, never overlapping.

And every time they roll a nat 1 they have to do the same pose as everyone takes a round to kick them in the nuts.
>>
>>49320289
>same pose
Shame pose.

And tell them to all bring snacks.
>>
>>49320245
>they're in the phb, so even though it claims they are, it's kinda bullshit
I remember 2e, where the entire proficiency chapter was labelled Optional.
>>
Wait does the new ranger have magical beast strikes
>>
>>49320346
No, it's one of its flaws for sure.
>>
>>49318825
In general when playtesting, the rule of thumb is that a good fight takes about 5 rounds.
>>
>>49320346
No. I like this since the damage potential is already insane. It's a breather for the Fighter or whatever to shine.
>>
>>49320289
I feel like this is a reference to something
>>
>>49320360
>when playtesting
>with a party of 4
>my games generally have 6 or 7 players
>somehow WOTC thinks that 4 players is the norm
>>
>>49320377
Nothing in particular, but it might as well be this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdFLPn30dvQ
>>
> Medium Beastmaster ranger still can't have a horse

Guess I'll be Halfling riding a boar.
>>
>>49319151
you realize that there's a fake entrance to the tomb of horrors right
>>
>>49320442
Horses are pretty fucking OP, at least they have massive stats. The riding horse is fine though, I'd ask your DM, as it's really the point of the whole class.
>>
> The bear is proficient in Arcana and History
>>
>>49319274
>Valley of Dust and Fire
i just googled this and you've convinced me to run a dark sun game
>>
r8 and h8 my ranger
>Jack
>TN Human Ranger (Revised, Beastmaster) 11, Monk 1
>Background: Soldier
>STR 10 DEX 20 CON 14 INT 8 WIS 16 CHA 8
>HP: 97
>AC: 18
>Speed: 30 ft.
>Prof: +4
>Class Features: Greater Favored Enemy (Humanoids, Constructs), Natural Explorer, Fighting Style (Archery), Primeval Awareness, Fleet of Foot, Hide in Plain Sight, Unarmored Defense, Martial Arts (1d4), Animal Companion (Wolf), Companion's Bond, Coordinated Attack, Beast's Defense, Storm of Claws and Fangs
>Spell Slots: 1st Level - 4, 2nd Level - 3, 3rd Level - 3
>Spells: Hunter's Mark, Ensnaring Strike, Cure Wounds, Cordon of Arrows, Pass Without Trace, Lightning Arrow, Conjure Barrage
>Skill Proficiencies: Athletics (+4), Intimidation (+3), Animal Handling (+7), Stealth (+9), Perception (+7), Survival (+7)
>Tool Proficiencies: Vehicles (Land) (+9), Gaming Set (Cards) (+9)
>Save Proficiencies: Strength (+4), Dexterity (+9)
>Feats: Crossbow Expert
>Gear: Three Shortswords (+9, 1d4+5), 2 Handcrossbows + 50 Bolts (+11, 1d6+5), Explorer's Kit

>Wolf Animal Companion
>DD
>STR 12 DEX 18 CON 12 INT 4 WIS 12 CHA 6
>HP: 63
>AC: 19
>Speed: 40 feet
>Prof: +4
>Attacks: Bite (+8, 2d4+8, DC 11 Prone)
>Skill Proficiencies: Perception (+5), Stealth (+8), Acrobatics (+8), Athletics (+5)
>Save Proficiencies: Strength (+5), Dexterity (+8), Constitution (+5), Intelligence (+1), Wisdom (+5), Charisma (+2)
>>
>>49319320
remember, use black puddings to represent mimics in their true forms, with piercing damage instead of acid damage as their pseudopods turn into nasty thorny limbs
>>
Wrt homebrewing monsters, when should I give a monster legendary resistance? would giving tyrannosaurs legendary resistance be too ridiculous?
>>
>>49320322
Yeah, but all things considered they were kinda optional. All nonweapon proficiencies did was modify your ability tests, so it's not like it was a whole new mechanic or anything. It added depth to the game, sure, but the 80s were a different time for RPGs and trying to keep a clunky system like AD&D streamlined was a worthy goal.

I still play a 2e game every once in a blue moon. I don't play Rolemaster anymore.
>>
>>49320392
It's quite frequent to get 6 or 7 players, but geneally this isn't good. I'd prefer to be in a smaller party.

It slows down combat and it means other people are more likely to make stuff you can do redundant. It also messes with combat balance, and DMs have to account for it properly or end up with their boss character being shoved to the floor and repeatedly kicked by a gang-mob.

4/5 players is much better.
>>
>>49320671
What sort of a tyrannosaur?

A tyrannosaur like a real-life one does not deserve legendary resistance, really. Even a level 3 or 4 or 5 party could take that on.
>>
>>49320516
why are your shortswords daggers?
>>
>>49317864
No one showed up for the session
>>
>New Ranger Beastmaster is gud

What meme is this?

Are you people serious?
>>
>>49320811
typo, should be daggers
>>
>>49320864
If you want people to care about your objections you should probably pair it with some actual discourse.

Why do you dislike it, anon?
>>
>>49317864
Dm's favorite player left. He got bored, rocks fell. It was a good game too.
>>
>>49320864
No one's saying it's good. It's...certainly a step in an encouraging direction. Trouble is it's too powerful in a few, easily modded, ways.

Also, no one will ever agree what the definitive Ranger is because everyone has a different definition. Some want no magic, some want no two-handed, some want Animal Companion as the front-and-center class feature, some want it to be a Rogue archetype, some a Barbarian archetype, some a fighter archetype.

Hell, I usually just use an Ancients Paladin and call it a day.
>>
>>49320864
I don't think you realize how much shenanigans a trained monkey can get into.

A trained monkey WITH SKILLS. From his TRAINING.
>>
>>49318695
Now I kind of want a Thief pet having archetype...WAIT!

Background Urchin, Beastmaster Conclave Ranger, Human, with the Ape Companion. In Zakaraha for an Al-Qadim campaign.

Gotta eat to live, gotta steal to eat, tell you all about it when I've got the time!
>>
>>49320915

>Monkey with thieves tools proficiency

Ehhhhh?
>>
I'm working on some houserules/errata to buff the Warlock, particularly the Bladelock, and one of the things I want to do is give them a melee cantrip that can compete with Eldritch Blast. Can I get some opinions:

Eldritch blast, for comparison: http://ephe.github.io/grimoire/spells/eldritch-blast

Eldritch Strike, Evocation Cantrip
Casting Time: 1 action
Range: Touch
Components: V, S
Duration: Instantaneous
You slam a target with a crudely-shaped hammer of force. Make a melee spell attack against the target. On a hit, the target takes 1d10 force damage, and if they are Large or smaller you may move them 5 feet in any direction (this movement does not provoke opportunity attacks, and you cannot move them into dangerous terrain, such as an open pit). At levels 5, 11, and 17, this spell deals an extra 1d10.
>>
I really want to play a Dragon Bloodline Sorcerer, except his power comes from the severe mutations he received when exposed to raw dragon's blood. Think radiation mutation, except draconic.

Like sorcerers have patches of draconic scales on their skin thick enough to provide protection. They can vomit forth a breath weapon using a mouth that has no business doing so, and eventually burst forth wings from their back and dismiss at will. This sounds really fucking freaky to me.
>>
>>49318013
wait... Could you argue that animal companions can take feats?
>>
is there any enemy other than Vampires that are weak to Light. (the spell, mind you)

I got a homebrew item from my DM in the form of a golden bow drawstring that ever so often grants me the ability to use Light on one of my arrows but I can't think of many useful things to do with it.
>>
With the new beastmaster rules couldn't I get an elk and use it as a mount?
>>
>>49321009
Not by the list they give you, but as a GM I'd rule that you could get an elk or a horse easily enough since the stats aren't too different from a black bear.
>>
>>49321006
Shoot arrows into dark places.

It emits bright light if I remember correctly, and some things have disadvantage in bright light like kobolds.
If a 'light' spell is cast specifically on a robe of eyes, it blinds the wearer.
>>
>>49321006
....vampires aren't weak to the Light spell either?
>>
>the lawful evil warlock is actually an evil hehe I kill the prisoner because I don't like him xD

well fuck me sideways.
>>
>>49321054

Forgot to mention that it can only light things that come in contact with the bowstring.

My DM invents weird shit I'm sorry...

>>49321062

I guess I'm stupid then, sorry.
>>
>>49321009
No. Not even by the suggestion in Expanding Companion Options.

> Expanding Companion Options

> Depending on the nature of your campaign, the DM might choose to expand the options for your animal companion. As a rule of thumb, a beast can serve as an animal companion if it is Medium or smaller, has 15 or fewer hit points, and cannot deal more than 8 damage with a single attack. In general, that applies to creatures with a challenge rating of 1/4 or less, but there are exceptions.

> Medium or smaller
>>
>>49321060
>>49321048
Why would they be so adamant against Large beasts though?
The carrying capacity?
Halflings and such can already ride Giant Wolf Spiders that can climb everywhere or Pterosaurs that can fly.
>>
is Hunter still the best class objectively or is the fixed Beastmaster the new big dick negro in town?
>>
Alright! How do I into melee ranger? Seem like many of ranger spell has better synergy with Archery.
>>
>>49321091
Probaby Mount combatant feat. Large beasts will give advantage to many enemies with that feat.
>>
>>49321063
Point out that they are in fact chaotic evil and then get the entire party to murder them.
>>
>>49321063
That is decidedly the wrong way to play a lawful evil warlock!

You trick the prisoner into being hoist by his own petard or you wait for an opportunity that still is by their own hand, or that the party cheers his execution.
>>
>>49321131
You'd get that with any mount you can buy ingame though. And if you find someone who sells elephants, well...
>>
File: Ape mono.jpg (20KB, 236x364px) Image search: [Google]
Ape mono.jpg
20KB, 236x364px
>>49318695
I don't think anyone has mentioned this yet: The Ape, with its INT score of 6 (-2), is not eligible for use of the Beast Bond spell (requires INT of 4 or lower).

This score might also have beneficial consequences. If you use your 4th level ABI to push its INT to 8 (-1), it will be as intelligent as a tribal warrior NPC, or a PC who dumped INT. If you focused on it, a lvl 19 Revised Ranger could have an Ape companion with an INT of 16!

Armor is already covered by the barding rules in the PHB, but could an Ape that smart learn things using the downtime mechanic? If so they could theoretically learn a language or a specialized set of tools, or even PC levels of their own.
>>
File: Ape planet.jpg (118KB, 500x731px) Image search: [Google]
Ape planet.jpg
118KB, 500x731px
>>49321191
What if an Ape animal companion gained levels in ranger and got its own Ape animal companion, and so on and so forth...
>>
File: cce.jpg (59KB, 600x793px) Image search: [Google]
cce.jpg
59KB, 600x793px
What good is the Detect Magic spell? Shopping for magic jewellery but the staff wont let you handle anything? It seems all it does it point out the obvious.
>>
>>49321161
Those mounts doesn't get saleable AC, hp, attack and saving throw
>>
>>49321214
Detecting an enchantment on a supposed ally.

Detecting an illusion on an item or wall.

Detecting that a corpse on the ground is actually a zombie.

Detecting that an NPC is actually using a disguising illusion or transmutation spell.

Detecting magical traps.
>>
>>49321148
Hell, I would not mind it if that were the case. I would love it, actually, if our warlock thought out of the box like that or if he thought for a second "well maybe I shouldn't hex+eldritch blast this helpless townsfolk with a gambling problem." The way he justifies it is "it's lawful because I have no use for them anymore!" and then the argument devolves into how he doesn't like the alignment system anyway.

I don't know. I'll give him another session or two, maybe he had a rough week this week, but damn it's grating to see someone be evil for evil's sake. If we're gonna off innocents, at least be creative or indirect about it.
>>
>>49321236
It's still only you who gains the advantage, not your mount.
>>
>>49321191
Apes can't speak without magical assistance. They don't have a hyoid bone.
>>
File: gilgamesh.jpg (106KB, 525x680px) Image search: [Google]
gilgamesh.jpg
106KB, 525x680px
Ok, 5e, needing some help here. Mostly flavor-related.
As I may have mentioned on an earlier general, the SCAG mentions that one example of the Undying Patron would be the God-King Gilgeam of Unther. This immediately gave the the idea of playing an envoy from the vaguely-Mesopotamian kingdom of the east, imbued with the power of his divine sovereign and sent out into the west for whatever purpose.
Now, my first idea was to go with a soldier that served well and was invested with power, but I'm not good enough at the theorycraft to make bladelock viable (plus, if I'm leaning in that direction, I might as well make him a paladin).
So, basically, two questions:
1)What tweaks to his background would make this character make sense?
2)Chain or tome? (And, as a sub-question, if chain, are there any familiars that feel particularly Sumerian?)
>>
>>49321265
They can learn sign language.
Or else magical surgery.
>>
>>49321240
You will only use Detect Magic after you already suspect there's something magical going on. After spending a level 1 spell slot or sitting down for a 10 minute ritual you will learn that Yep, it's Magic.
>>
>>49321243
If the other characters aren't also evil, why don't they kill the evil guy?
>>
>>49321263
Just go ask WotC then (or just suck your DM penis) instead of trying to justify what you can't do on the internet.
>>
>>49317864
>Can't wait for the next Mystic release in which they'll be going up to level 20
>>
Nice they took a swing at the Beastmater Ranger, but the animal choices seem terribly balanced against each other.

Still think they need a straight chart or formula and you pick 2-3 "specials" when you first get it to make it more like the animal you want.
>>
>>49321310
Anon, I hate to break it to you, but killing someone just because they're evil is, in fact, murder.

Not that you probably care, cause hobos and all that. But knowledge is power!
>>
>>49321267
Might want to go paladin then, Gilgamesh supposedly used anime-tier heavy weapons like axes and swords that weighed 500 lbs each.

Far Traveler background from the SCAG seems like a no-brainer.
>>
File: d3a.gif (2MB, 680x680px) Image search: [Google]
d3a.gif
2MB, 680x680px
>>49321191
>they could theoretically learn a language
But the animal companion already learns whatever languages you know from your Favored Enemy & Greater Favored Enemy features.
>get an ape
>give it proficiency in deception and performance
>make it pretend to be a dwarf
>laugh when, even if it fails the skill rolls, no one can tell the difference

>>49321265
Even an Awakened Shrub can speak, so a magical animal you can conjure back from the dead at will should be able to.
>>
>>49321267
You might as well go paladin.

However, tomelock with shillelagh and a wooden sword and GFB/BB is probably better than bladelock in terms of viability, but is still best if you don't actively try to get in melee.

Or you could multiclass paladin/warlock. Level 6 is strong. Leve 7 and 10 give additional auras. The benefit from level 11 works alongside GFB/BB.
>>
>>49321381
>evil person murders someone senselessly
>no JRPG hero, if you kill him you're no better than him!

You're right, it's best to hand him over to the authorities so the state can kill him.
>>
>>49317864
I've never seen a tpk, I've only ever seen someone be dead for more than a turn or two in paranoia.
>>
>>49321267
>Faithful soldier in the eternal army under Gilgeam in the far east
>Started from nothing, earned everything to his name
>Bestowed the gift of magic/term for power, an extension of Gilgeam himself
>Sent as an envoy to spread the word of Gilgeam, convert others to the cause, and promise power to those who would follow him with all their hearts and minds

I don't know the warlock pact of the chain off the top of my head, but if pseudodragon is an option, go that way? Tiamat and Mushhushshu were serpents. Anzu was an owl, so that's cool, too.
>>
>>49321267
1) You don't need to be a traditional soldier, you could be more of a soldier of fortune, as I believe Gilgeam lost to Tiamat in the 5e lore? Maybe you have been infused with some of his essence in order to start an army anew with other like-minded soldiers and take back your homeland?
2) I would say Tome probably, that way you can talk to him at later levels.
>>
>>49321381
For a chaotic good, it is due justice.
For a chaotic neutral, it is prevention of you yourself getting murdered later.
For a chaotic evil... Well, who the fuck cares, you're chaotic evil.

Perhaps a neutral might simply try to avoid them and kick them out of the party, else they all be seen as murderers, too.
A lawful would have them jailed.
>>
>>49318216
Your players don't 1 turn anyone who comes near their casters?
>>
>>49321310
Because evil warlock is DM's cousin, so we cannot kill him until circumstances allow for an unfortunate accident.

I'll tough it out for now. Maybe he'll have a breakthrough epiphany one of these days. Maybe he'll be a better roleplayer in the future. Hold out for hope!
>>
>>49318695
I hate monkeys.
>>
>>49321498
If you walk down the street casting detect evil, and you kill everyone who pings more than just a little, are you really serving the cause of good?

As far as I'm concerned, alignments show intent. And while intent is super-important for determining whether someone is worthy of death, it's certainly not enough to just cut them down if they haven't actually acted evilly.

It'd be like all those terrorist rubes who got set up by the FBI because they had violent inclinations, but the FBI provided all of the tools and all of the plans, and usually active encouragement (or threats) as well. It's technically entrapment but the rubes aren't sympathetic perpetrators so nobody gives a fuck.
>>
How do you think a Sun Soul Monk's skills should be applied in terms of damage when fighting a vampire?
Also, are the campaign supplementals supposed to be used in other campaigns? I mean, Sun Soul's from the SCAG, but if you get to use one in CoS then Strahd's a little extra fucked, I think.
>>
>>49318865
Fights still end in 5e in 1-4 turns unless you have a fucking ton of enemies.

Or the enemies have stupidly high rp and your players aren't built enough for that sort of damage.
>>
>>49321598
>How do you think a Sun Soul Monk's skills should be applied in terms of damage when fighting a vampire?

This sentence is weirdly constructed.
I mean, how else WOULD it be applied? A Sun Soul Monk shoots fuckin' laser beams, that seems pretty straightforward in how you use it to me.
>>
Someone mentioned a Thuggish rogue archetype. How about this?

Rogue Archetype: Thug
Bonus Proficiencies: When you choose this archetype at 3rd level, you gain proficiency with medium armor and a single martial melee weapon. You are also proficient in Intimidation, if you were not already.

Overwhelm: You may deal your sneak attack damage with any weapon, provided all other prerequisites are met. You may use the bonus action granted by your Cunning Action to demoralize an opponent within 5 feet; they must make a Wisdom saving throw against a DC of 8 + your Proficiency bonus + your Charisma bonus, and are Frightened for one round if they fail.

Interrogator: At 9th level, you add twice your Proficiency bonus to Intimidation checks. If you damage a target with an unarmed strike, you have advantage on Intimidation checks against that target for one round, and they have disadvantage on saves against your demoralization for one round.

Prey on the Fearful: At 13th level, you may deal your sneak attack damage to any target which is Frightened.

Knockout Blow: At 17th level, when you deal sneak attack damage to a target, they must make a saving throw against a DC of 8 + your Proficiency bonus + your Strength bonus. On a failed save, they are Unconscious for 1 minute. On a successful save, they are Incapacitated for one round. This has no effect on creatures immune to Stunning. Once you target someone with this ability, you cannot target them with it again until you complete a short rest.
>>
>>49321382
Gilgeam (who actually IS supposed to be Gilgamesh, though our Gilgamesh never left Earth even though an incarnation of him appeared on Faerun) favored an extremely heavy spiked mace of solid stone.
He also wrestled people to death a lot and back in 2e he had special rules for his superhuman wrestling skills.

I actually wonder if this is 2e's version of Gilgeam or a new one?
It mentions in 2e that Gilgeam was LE but started as LG and his long life and decadent lifestyle as God-King of Unther twisted his morals, but also that he refused to make a "younger" version of his physical body because it might actually be LG again.
So 5e's Gilgeam might be the immortal superhuman tyrant, or it might be a LG hero-King type guy.
>>
File: Maglightsaber.png (133KB, 899x251px) Image search: [Google]
Maglightsaber.png
133KB, 899x251px
>>49321598
>>49321719
I think they meant "does the sun soul monk's laser beams count as sunlight for the purposes of things like sunlight sensitivity?"

Personally I think its just radiant damage, "sun" in the name is just because it looks similar to sunlight. Same as the "sunlight" spell.
>>
File: Muscle wizard.jpg (587KB, 1654x3443px)
Muscle wizard.jpg
587KB, 1654x3443px
>>49321762
>So 5e's Gilgeam might be the immortal superhuman tyrant, or it might be a LG hero-King type guy.

Depends if he's met his bro Enkidu yet.
>>
>>49321267
>1)What tweaks to his background would make this character make sense?
I could give you advise based on older lore before Gilgeam died, but I'm not sure how canon it is if you care about that.
If not I can add more to the subject.
>2)Chain or tome? (And, as a sub-question, if chain, are there any familiars that feel particularly Sumerian?)
Either, though Mesopotamia in real life DID invent writing first as far as we know.
On clay tablets rather then books, admittedly.
>>
>>49321763
No, but it counts as radiant damage which fucks up vampires anyway.
>>49321789
Sadly, Gilgeam never had an Enkidu.
How deities work in this setting that if they're on another world and get worshipped by some folks then they can get "summoned" there, but you're not summoning every aspect of them, just sort of creating a new version of the greater deity as a whole.
The Untheric peoples ARE supposed to be Earth's Mesopotamians just as Mulhorondi are supposed to be Egyptians, just Stargated over to Faerun, but their gods are sort of like what the enslaved people's remembered about them; so on Earth the god's aspect was Gilgamesh, but on Faerun where they misremembered his name he was just Gilgeam and his story is different.
>>
>>49321592
Fortunately there's very little in the way of 'detect evil', and at least sprites cause a DC 10 charisma save.

Certainly in some places you could have a strict regime where evil people are monitored and often executed just for being evil.

The point is, though, this person has out-right murdered someone without a care in the world. This isn't just 'Has evil intentions, but doesn't act on them', this is 'psychopath who has no intention of sticking to the law' from what I heard.
>>
>>49321848
>just Stargated over to Faerun
Is THAT the explanation for why Mulhorond and Unther have such obviously cloned cultures? Why would anyone even transport themselves and their cultures to another world like that.
>>
>>49321890
Avoid destruction of your nation?
>>
>>49321890
No, I meant they were LITERALLY Stargated; replaced "evil snake alien empire" with "douchebag wizard empire" and you know exactly what happened.
What's funny is that I'm pretty sure this was all written several years BEFORE the original Stargate came out, so technically the Realms did it first.
>>
>>49321900
The Imaskari (the douchebag wizard empire spoken of here >>49321913) actually kinda fucked themselves; the Mulhorondi people and Untheric people prayed to their gods so hard that they got their asses in gear and actually showed up in Faerun in person and wrecked the shit out of the Imaskari, and in an attempt to find a NEW source of slaves they opened up a huge portal to a new world populated entirely by orcs, and thus released the majority of orcs into Faerun (there were supposed to be some before but that's a retcon) which wrecked them AGAIN because they also brought THEIR gods.

Basically they ruined everything for everyone, especially themselves.
>>
>>49321760
>CC as a bonus action, unlimited uses, level 3
Dubious, but I don't think it's broken as a rogue has many uses for the bonus action. They have less uses for said bonus action if they're not two-weapon-fighting, which seems to be what this is encouraging.
If it wasn't for the CC, two-weapon-fighting would still win out over using, say, a greatsword.

I'm not sure rogue needs an extra expertise.

>level 17 CC as a free action on sneak attack, unlimited uses but only once per creature per short rest
Overall, I think this is a ridiculously broken ability.
When you deal sneak attack damage on anyone's turn, they must pass a save or pretty much die instantly. Even if they succeed, they're still hit with a pretty bad CC, and bosses who use legendary resistance will still get fucked up for a round by it.

Level 17 ability definitely needs toning down.

Can't deny thief's level 17 is very strong, but it doesn't get a lot of combat power before that. Assassin's level 17 is incredibly situational, but insane when it happens. Arcane trickster's is good, but situational-ish, and the rest of arcane trickster is already good anyway.

Limit the number of uses per rest, turn 'unconscious' to 'incapacitated' and 'incapacitated' to nothing. Give it a number of uses equal to STR MOD, perhaps.

I think level 3 is actually pretty nice.
Level 9 is.. Alright.
Level 13 is very dubious in its wording. You could instantly kill anybody who is frightened in existence from anywhere.
>>
>>49321953
>a huge portal to a new world populated entirely by orcs, and thus released the majority of orcs into Faeru
wooooow....that's kind of a huge fuckup to have on your collective cultural heritage
>>
File: 1462960035212.jpg (56KB, 400x186px)
1462960035212.jpg
56KB, 400x186px
Let's think about some Beast Coven rulings.
>Panther
>14/ 15/ 10/ 3/ 14/ 7
>Perception +4, Stealth +6
So it's proficient in perception and has expertise in stealth with a +2 proficiency bonus, right?

>Pounce. If the panther moves at least 20 feet straight toward a creature right before hitting it with a claw attack, the target must succeed on a DC 12 Strength saving throw or be knocked prone.
How is this DC calculated? Is it 12 locked in, or would you allow it to scale? Should it be calculated, perhaps, as 8 + (Str or Dex) mod + proficiency bonus?
Also, both its bite and claw attacks have a +2 to damage (and to hit if proficiency is +2) so what stat do its attacks use, Str or Dex?

To shed light on the last two, perhaps we can look at wolves. Wolf has +1 Str and +2 Dex, has +2 to hit and damage (assuming 2 proficiency) on its bite, and the DC on its knock-prone is 11.

Assuming we follow that pattern, companion attacks can use Str or Dex for their attacks, and any saving throws they inflict are 8 + Str mod + proficiency bonus, right?
>>
>>49321979
>>49321760
Oh, no, the save DC of level 17 is already based on strength.
So what I think:

Knockout Blow: At 17th level, when you deal sneak attack damage to a target, you may choose to impose a (you didn't specify before. Consitution, probably) save throw on the target 8+profmod+str bonus for DC. On a failed save, the target is stunned until the end of your next turn. On a successful save, they cannot take reactions until the end of your next turn if they are not immune to stuns.
You can use this ability once a short rest. However, if the target of your knock-out blow is brought to 0 before their own turn, you regain use of this feature.

I'm not too confident on that, but it feels weird to say 'you can use it twice a short rest' or something when most abilities like that work off of an ability modifier number of times.

Prey on the Fearful: At 13th level, you have advantage to hit any frightened targets.

That's what I think about it, anyway.
>>
>>49321979
I'm still working on it.

>re: bonus-action demoralize
I'm thinking of changing this to a contested 'skill' check, your intimidate vs. their wisdom save. This makes a bit more sense, but also allows you to get expertise on it and succeed all the time. Maybe limit it to once per target per short rest?

>re: 13th level ability
I should be clearer. The target must still not be incapacitated, and you cannot have disadvantage on the attack roll. Effectively, frightened replaces 'an enemy of the target is within 5 feet of it' in the prerequisites for a sneak attack.

>re: 17th level ability
I based it on the effect of the Sleep spell, albeit this one is single-target, requires an attack roll, and still does something if they make their save. If that's too powerful for level 17, Stunning the target for a few rounds might also work.
>>
>>49317897

I SWEAR IF I SEE THAT GODDAMN CATGIRL HOMEBREW ONE MORE TIME....!
>>
File: tUO4Kpp.jpg (142KB, 953x534px) Image search: [Google]
tUO4Kpp.jpg
142KB, 953x534px
Please pardon this off topic post. Asking well trafficked /tg/ thread for music recommendations without wasting a thread while I polish off this Tequila. Already listened to Moss: Subtemplum, and The Sword: Warp Riders, from prior /tg/ recommendations. Looking for more electronica oriented, admittedly, but can thumbs up aforementioned albums to anyone else.
>>
>>49322075
Yes, it should be a con save, my bad. The once-per-rest-but-recharges-on-kill is interesting and fairly unique. I like it.

One round of stunning seems weak, though, considering the Monk has been doing that since level 5. What do you think about stunning for Str-bonus rounds, and you get the ability back if the target is killed before that duration expires? Too powerful?
>>
>>49322095
>electronica

Deep Forest; Music Detected: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAVy5X4GMew

anything Lindsey Stirling.

also Nox Arcana.
>>
So what do we think about the Bladesinger arcane tradition. Just got TPK'd last session and everyone is rolling up new characters.

Party will look like this:
>Barb
>Monk
>Cleric
>Wizard (Bladesinger)
>>
>>49322076
>>49322109
>level 17
The one I gave in the post above might be a bit underpowered, but the real problem is that you're stunning people as a free action, essentially. And you can do it any number of times, as long as it's not the same thing.
Even monks have to use ki to use stunning fist or palm monks have to use ki to use their instant-death ability and quivering palm takes an action to use.
Though, quite importantly, the monk can use stunning fist a lot if they have enough ki and it...
Yes, stunning strike is some pretty crazy CC.

It could be something that works like stunning fist, but isn't.
Stunning for 5 rounds is pretty much as good as dead for that creature.

Perhaps if there's a weird set-up that makes it more situational it could be more powerful.

Say, you have to use it on a frightened target. any frightened target can have it used on them, but this effect negates sneak attack's damage.
A once-a-short-rest limitation sounds the best for it.
Or.. The ability could be something that allows you to shove as part of your sneak attack. But that'd be a completely different ability idea.

>level 3
Probably 'an enemy becomes immune to this if they succeed for an hour' type thing. I wouldn't put intimidation into the save.

>level 13
That's not too great. Rogues already get sneak attack a lot. The level 13 abilities aren't always too great but there should probably be an extra little feature on top of this that isn't too powerful.
>>
>>49322034
>So it's proficient in perception and has expertise in stealth with a +2 proficiency bonus, right?
Yes. Basically you'll have to infer expertise from their starting skill bonuses.

>How is this DC calculated? Is it 12 locked in, or would you allow it to scale?
Definitely should scale.

>Should it be calculated, perhaps, as 8 + (Str or Dex) mod + proficiency bonus?
Yes, although knowing which modifier to use is tricky. Poisons, for example, seem to use ConMod. A Poisonous Snake is a good example of this, as they have -2 Str, +3 Dex, and +0 Con, but their poison save is DC 10. Scorpions have -4 Str, +0 Dex, and -1 Con, and their poison save is DC 9. However, a Giant Wasp has a Con modifier of +0 and their poison save is DC11, and at CR 1/2 I don't think the extra +1 is from proficiency. There are other messed up examples too, like Octopus grapple (Strength based) being DC 10 despite a -3 Strength mod (and it's not Dex based because then it would be DC 12... only thing that fits is a Con or Wis "grapple"), or Elephant Trample (safe assumption it's Strength based) being DC 12 even though they have a +6 Strength mod.

>Also, both its bite and claw attacks have a +2 to damage (and to hit if proficiency is +2) so what stat do its attacks use, Str or Dex?
Fairly safe to assume most animal weapons are Finesse capable. For a Panther you'd most certainly want to pump Dex to leverage Stealth expertise.

>To shed light on the last two, perhaps we can look at wolves. Wolf has +1 Str and +2 Dex, has +2 to hit and damage (assuming 2 proficiency) on its bite, and the DC on its knock-prone is 11.
Makes sense to me. The Wolf is using a finesse weapon but a Shove attack is automatically Strength based. Sucks that Wolves have such high natural Dex because a Strength based Wolf would be better.

Would be my rulings anyway.
>>
If the entire party dies in a fight but the enemy doesn't make sure everyone is dead and just leaves, do the players just make saving throws to determine who stabilizes on their own?
>>
>>49322223
Yeah, in retrospect 5 rounds of stun is a bit too much. Until the end of your next turn would be good enough, particularly with a once-per-target-per-short-rest limitation (so you can use it as much as you like, but if you use it on a target they're immune to further attempts until you rest).

I'm putting a similar limitation on the level 3 ability; once a target has been affected, they're immune until you rest again. I do think an opposed check is the best way to handle it, though.

For level 13, would just granting advantage vs. frightened targets work?

I'm trying to work out a few kinks before I post this on my tumblr.
>>
>>49322240
Barring any third party intervention, yeah basically.
>>
>>49322282
That sucks. Our party has had a lot of deadly encounters thrown at us lately.
>>
>>49322280
I suppose if you look at it a bit like grappling and shoving then it might be alright, since it only lasts a turn and doesn't really stop them from attacking your party. Frightened lets them run, or attack.. Things.
Skill check vs Save is bizarre, however. If someone got an intimidation of +17 and that was added to the DC, it'd be ridiculous.
Tying it to initimidation would mean people would want to put expertise in intimidation but would end up effectively losing an expertise since they gain expertise in intimidation at level 9.
If it's intimidation vs something that isn't a save, though, it might be okay. And then maybe not consider giving free expertise on intimidation. The swashbuckler ability goes against insight, for example.

Level 13's advantage against frightened targets should work. Means more reason to use the frighten effect since it'd work well with a big weapon than two-weapon-fighting. It's similar to arcane trickster's hand of advantage as a bonus, too.

I'd still be very careful about a free stunning fist on targets you haven't attempted to stun yet, though. Stunning fist is sort of a defining level 5 feature of the monk, and is probably supposed to be more powerful. And the thing is, stunning fist runs off of wisdom (Rather than their main attack stat) and uses ki. You'd be getting something that would be a direct upgrade of stunning fist if it wasn't that you couldn't use it against the same target multiple times.
>>
>>49322240
Ideally, the first person to stabilize then does Medicine checks on everyone else. Or, better yet, grabs a Healer's Kit (SOMEONE brought a healer's kit, right?) and uses that on everyone else.
>>
>>49322321
You'd be praising the lord that the enemies didn't kill you all, though.

Not to mention, death saves are skewed in favour of the players.

1/20 chance: You get three successful saves.
10/20 chance: You get one successful save.
8/20 chance: You get one failed save.
1/20 chance: You get two failed saves.
>>
>>49322458
That only works if someone rolls a 20. And then they have very limited time.
Not to mention, they'll probably be killed if the enemies see them crawling around trying to patch people up. Then again, they might not care if they were going to leave you to rot anyway.
>>
>>49317864
Haven't had one yet but I kind of want to TPK my players so I can just end this campaign and start a new one.

Is there a way to do this without it being obvious and pissing players off?
>>
Hey the group I'm dming for is going at an absurdly slow pace, like we're 26 hours in and the 3 players have 1k xp from monster kills and some I dish out when they complete something important in the campaign.

It's just a lot of standing around roleplaying and taking forever to investigate things and solve small puzzles. They're also complete shit and blunder into super obvious things which takes a lot of time to get past.

Should I be giving them a lot more xp just so it won't take a ton of hours to level up?
>>
>>49319311
>>49319298
>>49319277
This reminds me of WoD where a bunch of vampires fed blood to their cats until they had 5 Strength, which is the human limit, as well as fortitude so it could survive multiple gunshots.
>>
>>49322501
Oh right, I forgot that if you stabilize on death saves you don't get your first hit point back for 1d4 hours. Damn.
>>
>>49322452
The skill vs. save might need a rework. Perhaps against a static DC based on CR, like 10 + CR? Or perhaps contested by Insight?

The stunning thing is supposed to be powerful, more powerful than stunning fist. That's why you get it 12 levels later.
>>
>>49322477
well, in the last one we almost lost half of our players to death saves. the entire party tends to be very unlucky with dice. not to mention some of the enemies almost perma killed two players at full health, and can perma kill everyone except the tank.

we got lucky with a bit of damage to get rid of the last enemy while everyone but one player was dead. saved two players who were at 2 death saves, and the dice roll they tried after said they died.

>>49322458
our dm has not been generous on healing items. we have a potion, and some items I crafted. we haven't come across anyone willing to sell us anything yet and our healer has either died early into the fight, burnt through his spells, or been absent from the game. the other party members besides me suck at medicine.
>>
>>49322544
That's not how it works.

A level 5 ability is often a core defining ability of the class.

The rogue already gets uncanny dodge.

Arguably, monk gets stunning fist AND multi-attack, although it's worth noting the monk's multi-attack is perhaps less powerful than some other classes. However, rogues get uncanny dodge AND 3d6 sneak attack. Paladins get multi-attack AND level 2 spells.

It is better to compare to the other rogue abilities.

Assassin: Highly situational massive damage boost during a surprise round.
Thief: Extra turn at initiative -10 if not surprised, powerful for the start of every fight but perhaps justified as thieves don't get a lot of combat bonuses.
Arcane Trickster: Situational, requires someone to cast a spell targeting you and requires your reaction (no uncanny dodge!) and even then the ability might fail. Only once a long rest.
Mastermind: You're immune to mind-reading and truth-telling magics. Highly situational.
Swashbuckler: If you miss an attack, you can make the attack again with advantage. Only once a short rest.

Aside from the thief, the abilities are quite situational.
If you believe, like the thief, the other abilities on your archetype aren't very powerful at all, go ahead.
However, otherwise, you absolutely should not model it based on stunning fist's power level. It should be of a lower power level, probably.
>>
>>49322544
>>49322684
Oh, and, contested by insight is probably the best.
>>
>>49318025
>giving a shit what chucklefucks on a tawainese puppet drama imageboard think
Maybe try less of that.
>>
So even in the revision... Ranger's companion don't add their proficiency bonus or ability modifier into their save DC?

Wolf will always stuck at DC11 save or prone...?
>>
>>49322778
This is a problem of them brilliantly "hiding" monster mechanics detail, complicated by their inability to write clear rules.

Fuckin' Mearls.
>>
>>49322704
> tawainese puppet drama
Stat Shang Bu Huan.
>>
So guys, help me understand this.

As a player, when I say I want to play a lawful or neutral evil person, I am thinking of a sociopath who has little qualms about fucking over anyone he doesn't care about.

But for some reason, my entire group and GM seems to think that any alignment with "evil" in the name, requires that I backstabbing people at random.

What happened to the evil mastermind people? The grandiose bad guys who has a huge following of devout people because, despite the evil, he cares for his underlings and comrades?

Since when did evil become "lolbackstab"? I just want to play an evil Rogue who wants to see the world bow to their knees, as he and his friends (ie. the player group) prove their worth to rule the nation, even if that means "disposing" of good people who are standing in his way.
>>
>>49322941
It's simple; you're right, your group is wrong. Anyone who has ever seen Star Wars can see that.
>>
>>49322941
Tell everyone to erase the alignment on their sheets, have no one ever talk about alignment again, and everyone plays the characters without some bullshit constraints hanging over them.
>>
File: Sif.jpg (39KB, 1200x646px)
Sif.jpg
39KB, 1200x646px
>>49319575
> Greatsword Ranger called Artorias
> Weapon Master wolf called Sif
Looks like I have my next character done.

On that note, I know y'all have been talking about it, and I did give the PDF for the new Ranger a look, but how does it genuinely compare to the regular Ranger other than "It's better"? Does it stand up with the other classes? Is it too powerful? Still not strong enough? Or does it manage to hit the sweet spot we've been hoping for?
>>
>>49322941
>What happened to the evil mastermind people? The grandiose bad guys who has a huge following of devout people because, despite the evil, he cares for his underlings and comrades?

You notice how a lot of folks on /tg/ in general have zero middle ground between "IT'S SHIT" and "FUCKING AMAZING" when it comes to the quality of any particular subject matter?
Apply that absolutist philosophy to everything and you have a lot of the average mindset of your everyday nerd.

I have no idea why this is, but it's an observable and pretty easy to spot phenomena. I'll leave the armchair phisophy explaining it to other folks.
>>
>>49322952
I swear I've seen this post on one of these threads word for word before.
The deja-vu is seriously creeping me out.
>>
>>49322985
In my opinion, The good:
>nu-beastmaster is great and manages to be somewhat unqiue and useful without being overpowered
>primeval awareness not requiring you to burn a spell slot makes it much more useful
>Favored Enemy gives an actual bonus now, enough to matter, but not enough to make you feel gimped when it dosen't apply.
>Class as a whole is a really good, solid improvement

The bad:
>Natural explorer seems bloated, especially for a level 1 feature
>Deep stalker seems a little uninteresting overall compared to nu-hunter and nu-beastmaster
>Hunter and Deep Stalker feel like they have no reason to stick with it past level 11. I feel like you'd give up almost nothing by MCing into Rogue after that point. (Maybe after 13 if you REALLY want level 4 spells.) Beastmaster doesn't have this problem as bad.
>The listed beastmaster companions are pretty limited, and the guidelines for picking a different one directly contradict some of the listed ones.
>The pet still gets no way of overcoming nonmagical damage resistance.
>I miss share spells personally, but I think it's fine without it now.
>

One of my players is going to be playing it in our upcoming game so i'm sure some of my opinions will change after seeing it played in practice.
>>
>>49322985
Knight Artorias is barely even a presence in that game but somehow is pretty rad anyway.
>>
>>49318293
But blade warlok with medium armor and great weapon master is bretty gud.

If i have to do faerie fire i dish 57 dmg

If someone gives me advantage i dish 66 dmg with hex

If i cast hold person every attack is a crit so 99 dmg cos i have one extra attack.

Other warlock dish 60 dmg constantly but melee warlock in concert with your party can fuck shit up.
>If you are afraid of being beatten in melee have you try to stay behind your mates with a polearm?
>Have you try to be a pool of temporary hp with the fiend patron?.
>>
>>49321849
Glyph of warding primed to evil alignment
>>
My GM didn't allow us to do this. Would you?
>trapped in cell due to undercover shenanigans
>completely unarmed aside from the halfling monk who fists people to death
>guards open the door (what we were waiting for) to interrogate us
>we ask if the weapon master can wield the halfling monk as a weapon, and let the monk attack during the weapon master attacks.

GM just looked at us funny, and said no. We even agreed that the monk would take the same damage as the target of the attack.
>>
>>49323065
But there are tons of great post 11 abilities
>>
What class would fit a party with a swashbuckler rogue, a str-based bladelock, a moon circle druid and a hunter ranger?
>>
>>49323432
Utility wizard.
The divination school.
>>
>>49323395
That's a bit too slapstick for my group.
>>49323432
Either a Fighter of some sort or a Cleric.
>>
>>49318695
It says APE not MONKEY you cretin.
>>
>>49320442
Mule counts as large for carrying shit you cretin.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1473410594986.jpg (110KB, 800x1015px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1473410594986.jpg
110KB, 800x1015px
Build best party for 4/5 players
>>
5'3" most of my characters are Dwarves what is wrong with me?
>>
So I just started playing D&D with an existing group but I know absolutely nothing about the lore. Is there some place that has a short description of the world ? Just basic stuff that my character should know. I think we're playing the Storm King's Thunder adventure
>>
File: tallest.png (758KB, 734x560px)
tallest.png
758KB, 734x560px
>>49323610
Sounds like you've got a surfeit of shortness.
>>
>>49323569
so ready for this, can't wait to have money to get it.
>>
>>49322034
>>49322225
DC us locked at 12, according to sage advice answer to the old beastmaster ranger (and nothing in beast cove change that).
>>
>>49323486
Only for carrying capacity. It doesn't extend to acting as a mount (which fall under mount combat rule).

Doesn't work both RAI and RAW.
>>
>>49323671
Well.. while you're collecting money... check out the trove
>>
Let's see if I get this right for Boar companion...

> Level 4 Boar
> STR 14 DEX 12 CON 12 INT 2 WIS 9 CHA 5
> AC 14 (18 with Half plate barding)
> Tusk: +4, 1d6+2
> Charge : extra 1d6+2
>>
>>49323068
He is one of the most important characters?
>>
>>49323805
Plus damage vs favored (always choose humanoid)
Also choose skills and all saving throws
>>
>>49318695
source for a decent ape in 5e?
>>
>>49323777
i've it downloaded, there's already a conversion for middle-earth?
>>
File: 1424014844988.jpg (54KB, 535x462px) Image search: [Google]
1424014844988.jpg
54KB, 535x462px
>>49323569
>world's greatest fantasy setting
>>
>>49323805
Is that how barding works? Does it lose Dex to AC for heavy armor, etc?
>>
>>49324087
It work like humanoid's armor. So yes, if you're using heavy armor.

Half-plate is medium armor though.
>>
>>49321789
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-6d083913-0bfb-4988-8cd8-d126fa6dcff1
>>
Need some good music suggestions for SKT. Will be playing in a few hours.
>>
>>49318184
>But warlocks should not enter melee ever.
>That's why we give them melee only features on certain archetypes, you know, to trick them
>>
New Thread >>49324390

New Thread >>49324390

New Thread >>49324390

New Thread >>49324390
>>
>>49320392
>somehow WOTC thinks that 4 players is the norm
It's the norm, wotc polls say it's the norm, the CR system takes 4-5 players as the norm. It's the norm, anon.
>>
>>49320516
>Monk 1
>Not tavern brawler
Mediocre
>>
>>49320938
We call it negros for short
>>
Hey there, everyone

I'm running an intro game for some newbs this Friday and I was planning on running one of the AL modules. I've never tried them before and I thought this would be a good chance to try one out. I only plan to let this go on for maybe two sessions, otherwise I would've done Phandelver.

Has anyone ever run any of the short ones before? Are there any that stand out as being fun to play/are good for new players?
>>
Can you players out there storytime me your experiences with fun and interesting combat? Combat is by far the weakest part of my dm game, so I'd like to see examples of it done well.
>>
>>49321592

>if you walk down the street casting detect evil

you don't even NEED to do this because he LITERALLY murdered somebody in front of you. this is beyond "well he MIGHT do something bad", he's already fucked up and now he's gotta reap the consequences of his actions. If I was chaotic good and watched someone innocent get murdered in front of me, I'd kill that son of a bitch. MAYBE let him stay at the authorities if I could be sure he wouldn't harm anyone else, but I sure as hell wouldn't say "well MAYBE he won't hurt anyone...except for that guy he murdered i mean lol".
Thread posts: 346
Thread images: 38

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.