[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

EDH/Commander General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 338
Thread images: 85

File: hanna.jpg (32KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
hanna.jpg
32KB, 223x310px
Enchantment edition

Old thread: >>49302633

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
http://www.mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
http://www.tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the internet.
http://www.edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
http://manabasecrafter.com/

>CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
http://gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface
http://www.magiccards.info
>>
File: edhchart.png (2MB, 1500x2394px) Image search: [Google]
edhchart.png
2MB, 1500x2394px
Post em
>>
File: edhchart_template.png (127KB, 1500x2394px) Image search: [Google]
edhchart_template.png
127KB, 1500x2394px
>>49315177
Here's the template if anyone wants it
>>
>friend ordered yet another booster box hoping for deluxe rares
>despite my advice to order singles and just build a better deck
Every time
>>
I CANT HANDLE ALL THESE FOIL ARTIFACTS

IM GOING TO GO IN DEBT
>>
>>49315177
>>49315186
pls no
those are faggy af
>>
File: ringochan.jpg (37KB, 500x489px) Image search: [Google]
ringochan.jpg
37KB, 500x489px
>>49315177
>Jund guy
>Mainly W/G
>>
So whats with the different set symbol for the new ghost rares? It looks like pi. Is it supposed to show you the odds of ever cracking one is infinitely against you just as pi has infinite places?
>>
File: that's a good looking weapon.jpg (51KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
that's a good looking weapon.jpg
51KB, 265x370px
>>49315152
So, the question of the day:

Which is prettier, original or masterpiece versions?

Mind's eye and mana crypt kinda look like ass, but damn damn damn do I love that sword of feast and famine.

Also, super duper magical premium combustible gearhulk, or regular? My Feldon deck needs to know.
>>
File: my commanders.png (4MB, 1112x1860px) Image search: [Google]
my commanders.png
4MB, 1112x1860px
>>49315177
So I just created an mtgo account because I moved away from my playgroup and I don't know if I should buy one of the commander decks or build something of my own on the cheap.
>>
>>49315547
New art is 100% better. I only have 1 sword, a f&f, and you better believe if I ever get one of these new ones that old one is gonna get traded or sold in the blink of an eye.
>>
>>49315547
New art is better on every card except mind's eye and lightning greaves (Judge foil is better).

Personal favorite art is Cloudstone Curio but I won't be able to play it in my Animar deck due to being too broken.
>>
>>49315547
Super special. I don't like the fat ape version.

I think the Moxs and swords are both downgrades. The originals had an awesome simplicity to them. Same with lotus petal. Static orb and cloudstone look great though.
>>
>>49315547
I like this masterpiece version, but I also like the judge promo version with the brown border. Will probably buy a copy when the set comes out, tempted to get a box because I had good luck with the expeditions, and I just like this set in general.
>>
>>49315547
New sword of light and shadow is sweet and all the gearhulks are better , maybe sol ring too and cloudstone curio i like more than the old prothean looking thing
>>
File: juhsyus8ek_cardart.jpg (121KB, 700x500px) Image search: [Google]
juhsyus8ek_cardart.jpg
121KB, 700x500px
Someone sell me on building Feldon of the Third Path.

I normally hate re animator with a passion, but Feldon looks legitimately fun as shit, is in a non degenerate color, with some cool mechanics to exploit.

Sell me on the deck, I can buy the commander deck to get some value right off the bat and build from there but what are cool wincons and strategies with this guy? Anyone know of a good primer or guide for this guy?
>>
>>49315634
Actually, those might be the only two, maybe along with the new chrome mox and the sol ring, that actually like. Most of the others are either eh or bad. Crucible is almost there, but it lacks the epic scale of the original.
>>
File: MyHana.jpg (488KB, 1485x1882px) Image search: [Google]
MyHana.jpg
488KB, 1485x1882px
>>49315152

Hanna a best

Recently put mine back together because my new group was in desperate need of a control player.
>>
>>49315699
Make 50_Masterpiece.dec
>>
>>49315743
That's not Sydri
>>
File: SignedShit.jpg (257KB, 1224x817px) Image search: [Google]
SignedShit.jpg
257KB, 1224x817px
>>49315829

She's there.

I'll probably be putting her back together next. The problem is that my black value is really stretched thin atm.
>>
>>49315547
Original foil (brown) borders are what I prefer

these aren't terrible though
>>
>>49315547
I don't maybe I'm just the only guy who hates these "unique" cards. If you want to reprint a card for new players just print the damn card as normal don't make it a lottery chance. Kaladesh looks like shit to me outside of 5 cards which I have already preordered.
>>
>>49315699
you get to use all of the big weird red cards that would never have a home. Tyrant of Discord? Toss it in. Spawn of Thraxes? Sure, why not. Knollspine dragon? Hell yeah.

Plus, you can do some really cool tricks to get some extra value. Sundial of the infinite lets you keep all your tokens(!), clone shell lets you cheat creatures in and works as a card advantage engine, and cards like burning inquiry and shattered perception are actually really good.

I dont really like red, but man, do i love me some feldon.
>>
>>49315547
I prefer most of the new arts, but the old ones still hold their charm.
>>
>>49316034
Oh shit I just built a Feldon deck and never thought to put in Clone Shell. Thanks dawg
>>
>>49316253
no problem mang
>>
>>49315699
Feldon is pretty cool, but most of his decks work the same - get Feldon, chuck stuff into the yard, make a copy when it's convenient.
What makes him interesting is the insane amount of variety and control you can get from what is essentially the same strategy over and over. This makes it easier to design a deck around, but also creates a single point of failure that doesn't have many ways to win without it. The upside is that it's a fairly cheap deck that features both format staples and dark horse trash commons. It functions fine in poor man mode, only geting marginally better if you really pimp it out with money cards.
There really is a lot of variety. The deck is rewarding in that once you're set up (which isn't hard) the wincon is somewhat random.
Sometimes you grind them to a halt with MLD, sometimes you just outright combo out. Sometimes you have some one-sided wipes and sometimes you just create a ton of tokens. My personal favorite is attacking with multiple It That Betrays and just assuming control of the entire boardstate.
Feldon can be a perfect example of randomness done right with cards like Gamble or Tyrant of Discord. Even more with the new Gearhulk. What happens is out of your hands, but whatever happens you get value.
>>
>>49315547
I think the only ones that I don't prefer over the old ones or at least enjoy equally are Hangarback Walker, Lotus Petal, and Mind's Eye.
>>
>>49316292
Commander's Arsenal Mind's Eye is the best
>>
>>49316292
the new hangarback is awesome though, far better than the old.
>>
>>49316306
I love that one, I prefer it myself as well.
>>
>>49316329
I like the new one, but something about the design of the plating on the old one seems really cool to me.
>>
File: I Return from the Workshop.jpg (110KB, 1288x750px) Image search: [Google]
I Return from the Workshop.jpg
110KB, 1288x750px
>>49315699
More like feel-don, have you READ his story?
http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/arcana/lorans-smile-2014-10-27
Love the writing, feels like a traditional fairy tale.

Anyway, my Feldon deck is my baby. I love the art, I love the flavor, the custom playmat is my prized possession. You can get some really good value with sac outlets, and red has some amazing steal effects. 3 of those steal effects are on ETB creatures. So you reuse and sac for value, again and again. There's also the old "oops turn 3 It That Betrays" trick.

In a meta a bit less candy-assed than my one, Feldon also can absolutely bring the land destruction. Keldon Firebombers is a scary fucker.

It's a unique deck. It isn't the strongest deck around, but there really isn't anything like it that combines interaction with graveyards and artifacts and fatties in red.

My list for your consideration.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/i-have-nothing-left-to-give/
>>
File: 291.jpg (76KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
291.jpg
76KB, 312x445px
Why is show and tell $20 and this guy less than a dollar?
>>
File: jack yes.gif (682KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
jack yes.gif
682KB, 320x240px
>mfw getting off the Spell Crumple/Tunnel Vision combo against the Lazav player
Being a petty asshole never felt so good
>>
>>49316560
Show and Tell only limits to 1 per player, Tempting Wurm lets everyone dump their hand and possibly give someone the win
>>
>>49316560
Show and tell lets you play something, tempting wurm only lets your opponent?
>>
>>49316576
>>49316590
Shit. Forget I said anything. I need to learn to read cards better.
>>
>>49315547

>new mana crypt looks like ass

Umm please kys immediately you fucking shit taste piece of garbage
>>
>>49315917
>print the damn card as normal
Ignoring the horrible state that standard would be in if they were just printed these, there is no draft environment that could survive the crazy shit they're putting in these "Lottery Cards". I'm glad they found a way to print them without shoving them in a FTV, though it is transparent and scummy.
>>
>>49315482
Haha holy fuck didn't see that till just now. Thanks
>>
>>49316800
I'm actually proud of WotC for being so transparent about it. They're admitting they sold way more packs just off the allure of expeditions. It's scummy and easy, but I'll take this over $10 booster sets if it means singles in new sets will be cheap as hell.
>>
>>49316560

I want to play this, then play a board wipe. It'll probably only work once but I love the idea.
>>
>>49315152
I've made a Jeskai All-In Chaos EDH deck, and after "ruining the card game known as magic" several times I think I need to do something else with it.

Should I try to turn it into an actual deck? (that doesn't win by causing everyone else to scoop because literally all choices they make are random) Does anyone have experience with making a Jeskai deck that uses Chaos elements but doesn't grind the game to a screeching halt?
>>
>>49316853
>if it means singles in new sets will be cheap as hell.
Ah but there is the problem. It's not just the price point they have to keep down in order to not make the secondary market worth more than the packs they pedal. It's the power level of the cards that suffers most. Since this is going to be the new norm we can expect sets to only get weaker and weaker in the future. If wizards prints cards more powerful than the reprints then theres no point in them.
>>
>>49316800
>I'm glad they found a way to print them without shoving them in a FTV, though it is transparent and scummy

Which is why I started playing with chinaman cards or even going more depraved and just printing out pictures of them and attaching them to basic lands.
>>
File: the group.jpg (307KB, 1500x1560px) Image search: [Google]
the group.jpg
307KB, 1500x1560px
>>49315177
We play with the regulars at our lgs as well
>>
So, who here is gonna drop the dough on a masterpiece?

I'm gonna get the helm, since it'll definitely be cheap.
>>
>>49316994

I need to see what the prices look like on the market before I commit to anything.
>>
>>49315878
>all those signed Terese Nielsen cards
Great taste, anon.
>>
>>49315547
I love the inventor's fair theme of the masterpiece cards. It gives them a really upbeat vibe to the artwork. I'd almost say they're too ornate, but unless you pull one from a pack, you've probably already pimped out your deck entirely so it doesn't matter.
>>
>>49316853
WotC could literally put $100 in packs, and players would find a cynical explanation for it. You're literally complaining that it's scummy of WotC to improve the product without increasing the price.

What's next, players complaining that a set has too many exciting cards? I can see the greentexts now.

>WotC openly admitted that putting some of their best work in a set sells more packs. It's pretty transparent and scummy.

I'm all for criticism that isn't vapid cynicism, but this is ridiculous.
>>
File: 1399159353167.jpg (274KB, 560x560px) Image search: [Google]
1399159353167.jpg
274KB, 560x560px
>tfw annihilating a $5000 Wanderer deck with your mega-jank monored artifacts that doesn't even have Daretti at the helm
There is no better feeling
>>
>>49317232

It's scummy because wizards is all, "look we gave you reprints, now fuck off!" instead of actually reprinting them in a way that's remotely feasible to achieve.
>>
>>49317079

I have a set of FoW, too. However, I didn't own them when I got these signed. Bought them off a friend quitting magic a year later.
>>
File: guesstheduck.png (36KB, 819x460px) Image search: [Google]
guesstheduck.png
36KB, 819x460px
I stopped at a restaurant today and when I was seated, I saw one of the servers walk over to a table with a cloth and some spray and wipe down the table. I thought this was pretty scummy of them because everybody knows that clean restaurants get more business and they are just trying to make more money. I guess it's a good thing they are transparent about it.
>>
>>49317323
What, you don't want to spend over $500 to get one maybe?
>>
>>49316511
It feels just the tiniest bit off, since his mechanics basically consist of "doing exactly what he kind of failed to do"

That said, it's full of feels and delicious flavour.

I might have to give him a try.
>>
>>49317360

That's not even remotely appropriate. We know you're a wotc shill brah
>>
Hey /edh/

I'm thinking about going to a commander night at my LGS for the first time tonight. Apparently they have a casual league of some sort but I'm not really sure what it entails. How do these things usually work? Do you just randomly get put into a group or do you group up together with other players you choose? I'll be going in without knowing anyone so if its the latter then idk if I'll be able to play without having anyone I already know.
>>
>>49316994

I like the Combustabile Gearhulk, but honestly I doubt any of the super functional ones will be cheap enough for me to bother. Maybe Lightning Greaves.
>>
File: 1471757449331.jpg (25KB, 270x320px) Image search: [Google]
1471757449331.jpg
25KB, 270x320px
>>49317396
It's completely appropriate. The product was improved at no cost to the consumer relative to before the improvement, and you're trying to find some spin that makes this a bad thing.

Let's try using some basic logic here. WotC is offering their product, a pack of magic cards, for about $4. Let's say there are two scenarios.

Scenario A: WotC hands out a card worth about $100 to every 100th customer.
Scenario B: WotC hands out nothing.

You and your ilk are somehow trying to make it sound like scenario A is WotC being scummy. You could have a career at fox news.
>>
>>49317655
Scenario A: WOTC hands out a fancy reprint of a 0.05 dollar card or a $400.00 card to every 144 people who give them $4 anyways
Scenario B: nothing
Scenario C: WOTC reprints popular cards in sets in which they fit thematically and without changing they're rarity, regardless of third party resellers and market price
>>
>>49317708
>implying Wizards would ever do anything rational
>>
>>49317708
>they're
fuck I'm stupid
>>
>>49315152
Question: if I Mindslaver someone and kill their commander, is it up to me whether it goes into the graveyard or command zone?
>>
>>49317655

>Fox News jab even though no one said anything about politics before

Classic deflection. You're a shill bro.

It's scummy because Wotc's reprint policy is completely fucked. I'll explain it to you.

So there's Card A. Card A is kinda hard to get and people are thirsty for its release. So we get the reprint, only it's an ultra-expensive even harder to get card at a rarity so high that it would be smarter to just buy the single. Oh wait, due to the extreme rarity of it, people say fuck it and spring for the reprint which has gone up. People clamor for Wizards to reprint it again, but wizards refuses due to MUH COLLECTOR VALUE. So now we have an expensive as fuck card and even more expensive as fuck reprint of it, with Wizards refusing to make an accessable reprint.

Example: Tarmogoyf

What's even worse is that you're defending the insane price gouging by having the audacity to call us entitled. That's classic shilling 101, deflect and insult the detractors.
>>
>>49317869
>spring for the original print

my bad
>>
>>49317708

Oh, so you are comparing the masterpiece change to an imaginary ideal rather than the status quo, and then holding WotC in contempt for the difference between A and C rather than A and B. That's the source of your confusion.

WotC attempted the scenario C a few times. What overwhelmingly happened was the reprints warped standard. Thoughtseize and mutavault made type 2 a worse experience.

scenario C also means we don't get new art and frames. Cosmetic enhancements are an effective way to make the game accessible. In software, this is referred to as monetizing whales. Whales will pay $X00 for their online character avatar to have lipstick or some shit, and therefore everybody who doesn't care gets to play the game for cheaper at no cost to the developer's revenue or quality of the product.
>>
File: Le Tax Man.jpg (45KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
Le Tax Man.jpg
45KB, 265x370px
I have made a taxman pillowfort.
Any help would be appreciated.

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/kambals-chicken-noodle-soup-1/
>>
File: 156.jpg (60KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
156.jpg
60KB, 312x445px
I might be retarded because I just don't see what's wide-open busted about this card
>>
>>49317796
You sure can. You asshole.
>>
>>49317937

Works with commanders that rely on tapping for their abilities. Provides blocker or stops attack. In a pinch will save your life.
>>
>>49317937
Infinite colorless mana in certain situations
>>
>>49317937
It can untap itself, and tap/untap your creatures. Imagine if you have kiki jiki or king macar out.
>>
>>49317869
You're not entitled, you are not to be ignored as a consumer, and nobody called you entitled. You are however, using flawed thinking.

>What's even worse is that you're defending the insane price gouging by having the audacity to call us entitled. That's classic shilling 101, deflect and insult the detractors.
If you think anybody is attacking you, you could stare at a still motionless wall and somehow hear insults from it.

>It's scummy because Wotc's reprint policy is completely fucked. I'll explain it to you.
You're going on a tangent. Stay focused and please answer one question with a yes or no. This will determine to me if it is worth continuing the discussion.

Is the masterwork series an improvement to the player's experience compared to the status quo? [yes/no]
>>
File: jackface.png (56KB, 262x300px) Image search: [Google]
jackface.png
56KB, 262x300px
>Magus of the Wheel came today
Oh boy more fun for Feldon
>>
>>49318159
My Magus of the Moat came today.

More fun for my Avacyn deck.
>>
File: newsalt3.jpg (2MB, 1800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
newsalt3.jpg
2MB, 1800x1200px
>Guy has recently taken to building decks designed specifically to fuck over my own
>>
File: expeditions.png (959KB, 805x656px) Image search: [Google]
expeditions.png
959KB, 805x656px
>>49315295
will he at least draft it

please tell me he will try and get some value out of it

please
>>
>>49318545
That's a negative there cap'n
>>
>>49318646
Slap some sense into him

At least entertain the practice of building a sealed deck.

Something, I beg you.
>>
>>49318665
I have tried

He likes "adding to his collection" even though he never builds with 95% of it because it's almost all garbage
>>
Any Godo players here? What's the best way to speed him up? 6CMC seems like a lot for something that doesn't come with built-in protection, but he looks like a pretty baller guy. I want to power him out ASAP and cheat in Sword of the Animist because he will likely die very quickly.
>>
>>49318545

I pre-ordered a box, and I am Going to open 3 packs for myself, then draft with the rest. That's the plan.
>>
wait wtf there are 2 chandras in kaladesh
>>
>>49318042

>Is the masterwork series an improvement to the player's experience compared to the status quo? [yes/no]

I was going to answer you, then you went and said

>This will determine to me if it is worth continuing the discussion.
>>
>>49317908
>B-but it will hurt an imaginary format no one actually plays and we have to pay people to play competitively!
>>
>>49318699
Tell him to draft it, but keep all the cards post-draft.
>>
>>49318763
Yep, same with the green cunt Nissa. Enjoy your new epic card game anon.
>>
>>49318763
One is from the set, one is from the intro decks for newbies. Guess which one comes in packs. It's the good one.
>>
>>49318763
They're in intro packs now I think
>>
>>49318816
wait why wtf please no
>>
>>49318773
You sometimes can't have a basic discussion without a few basic agreements in place. You can't have a meaningful discussion about math with somebody that thinks 2+2=3.

>>49318785
>most popular format isn't played
>>
>>49318854

The bad ones are in Planeswalker packs which replace the intro-packs. They are standard legal but not very good. You'll never pull them from a pack though.
>>
>>49318854
Something to do with intro packs or something, idk. It's some stupid half baked idea to get rid of the core sets in favor of precons with a fancy card on the outside. I truly think it's a bad idea because experienced players will know to avoid that mess and new players will feel ripped off when they find out they've been suckered in by flashy sub par cards.
>>
>>49315547
I always wanted a Curio for my Animar, but super duper reprint... The art's beautiful tho
>>
>>49318751
Fast mana

Fast mana is bullshit and should be abused in mono-red as often as possible
>>
>>49318909
>only format they put on camera
>only format they build and balance for
>only format that's even remotely affordable
>only format they ever reference unless they're releasing some one in a million chance chase card with worse odds than playing scratch offs.
Gee I wonder why
>>
>>49316872
I chuckled
>>
>>49318751
Gauntlet of Might

Good luck
>>
>>49318404
My brother does this too. Pretty funny t b h
>>
The anon in the last thread and this threads theme has inspired me to build sliver hivelord aura voltron, fire ideas at me friends for possible sick tech or obvious includes
>>
PSA: If you play EDH on MODO, I'm trying to put together a multiplayer series for my MTG channel, so if you're interested, and don't mind some bantz over skype please hit me up
https://www.youtube.com/c/mtgorzo
>>
>>49319140
>$200
DICKS

Well it would replace the Gauntlet of Power that's in there, I guess.

>>49319039
What like the legal moxen? I guess so. Opal would fit well, dunno about the others. I have a Sol Ring and a Mana Vault in there, might need a Crypt too.

God, mono-red is expensive.
>>
File: 376.jpg (68KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
376.jpg
68KB, 312x445px
Post spicy secret cards
>>
>>49317869
What an entitled poorfag. If you don't have the money, you don't deserve good cards. Cry more please.
>>
>>49319438
>Daretti
Godspeed, never forgetti.
>>
>>49319754
it was a crazy game
>>
File: 1375976925436.gif (2MB, 359x360px) Image search: [Google]
1375976925436.gif
2MB, 359x360px
>>49319438
I'll watch this
>>
File: quicksilver fountain.jpg (61KB, 480x680px) Image search: [Google]
quicksilver fountain.jpg
61KB, 480x680px
>>49319486
Double Spice, no olives.
>>
File: 1463382987766.jpg (21KB, 454x320px) Image search: [Google]
1463382987766.jpg
21KB, 454x320px
>>49319438
Fuck you, fuck your virtual cardboard game, and fuck your shilling. I hope you get dysentery.
>>
Where do you play EDH? OCTGN is shit.
>>
>>49319886
My house or my friends' houses

Never been to my LGS, I order everything online
>>
Still waiting for new Tezzeret's card.
>>
File: 1465940942953.jpg (80KB, 344x580px) Image search: [Google]
1465940942953.jpg
80KB, 344x580px
How do I spellslinger?

I'm more of a cheat-giant-creatures-with-good-value kind of guy, and I'm looking to become more versatile.
>>
>>49319884
I'm sorry I could hardly play paper while living in China
>>
>>49319928
You either wait until you machine gun-style unload your hand into a win during a single turn (Eternal Dominion+Turnabout+Reiterate being my fav way) or play value stuff along numerous turns while something else gets the winning going (like Spellheart Chimera, Sphinx-Bone Wand and Runechanter's Pike)
>>
>>49319989
Hmm. I still don't really get it.

Is it just a particular archetype with its own beaters that scale off your instants and sorceries, like charmbreaker devils? I guess what I'm struggling with is why I would play a deck like that. Creatures seem to have dual utility; as attackers and defenders. By nature, spells seem rather binary, and kind of counter intuitive to set up a win. I usually build my decks with 30-35 creatures on a nice curve, in order to ensure I have things that will win the game when they hit the field, and things that will save my bacon while facilitating my other shenanigans.

How do I protect myself without buying the same 10 or so staple enchantments, or building stax? Do you out-pace people and race for your goodstuff, or is it more combo facilitation?
>>
>>49320087

Are you afraid of losing to combat damage?

If you're so slow that people are beating you down from 40 life then you can run a more controlly list with tons of board wipes, but lots of spell slinger decks should be able to combo out a couple turns before creature beatdown can kill you, except in special circumstances like a really nutty krenko goblins draw beating you to death on turn 4-5
>>
>>49320087
There's spells that can be used multiple times like Capsize who help get the upper hand. Also if you go URx there's removal.

>Is it just a particular archetype with its own beaters that scale off your instants and sorceries, like charmbreaker devils?
There's stuff like Devils/Nivix Cyclops and the like and stuff like Young Pyromancer. There's various creatures and artifacts from playing spells that help deterring the game so you can assemble a combo or a good number of damage/draw cards to fire them all at once.

ALSO POLITICS, at multiplayer you can benefit from passing as a harmless player early game and not get beaten. There's also some way to play lifegain spellslinging in URW but I'm not well-versed on Jeskai.
>>
>>49319445
You would play both, as well as Caged Sun, because why wouldn't you? Might also consider snow-basics and an Extra Planar Lens
>>
>>49319692
Fuck off, Shkreli. You don't even play the game.
>>
>>49320140
>Are you afraid of losing to combat damage?
Yes, absolutely. I consistently shit on strong decks with combat damage before they can set up their schtick, so I base what I want to build on how I would play against it, and find myself a little discouraged.

>but lots of spell slinger decks should be able to combo out a couple turns before creature beatdown can kill you
Oh, so they're a few static lists of combos that I should run, in various shell decks that facilitate them? That sounds... really linear to me.

>>49320147
>ALSO POLITICS, at multiplayer you can benefit from passing as a harmless player early game and not get beaten.
Oh, I get it. I play a LOT of 1v1 (non-french) commander and I always wondered why anyone would build a deck that's not consistently threatening. But, in a lot of my multiplayer games, I find myself lacking because I shit on a player turn 5-6, and become the archenemy immediately after. I guess it`s the whole "slow and steady wins the race" philosophy.
>>
>>49320165
I have an Extraplanar Lens in there, but no snow basics. Good idea.

Fucking $200 Gauntlet. That would double the price of the deck right there. I want to make this deck the best it can possibly be but holy hell it's going to be expensive.
>>
>>49319486
what's with all the island hate in this game?
>>
>>49320201
Gauntlet of Might and Mana Crypt were my first really big magic spends because I wanted to get into some hot and heavy Mono-Red EDH. The thing is that once you have a groundwork for it, with just a handful of cards you can be playing a different mono-red commander, it's not like those cards will stop being useful.
>>
File: 16.jpg (66KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
16.jpg
66KB, 312x445px
>>49320213
Enemy color hate was a thing in the early days, not so much now
>>
>>49320230
I'm really tempted to run this and dystopia in Toshiro, but it's not an instant, which makes me sad.
>>
>>49320228
>it's not like those cards will stop being useful
Very true. I'll pick those up with next week's paycheck, I have a beer fest this weekend which will probably involve some spending

Would you recommend the legal moxen? Diamond and Opal seem really good, Opal especially since it'd trigger fairly easily off of all the equipment
>>
>>49320252
>Dystopia
Well that would be fucking fantastic in my GW-heavy meta. Holy shit.
>>
File: Image.jpg (35KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
35KB, 223x310px
>>49318751
how's this?
>>
File: serveyor's scope.jpg (29KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
serveyor's scope.jpg
29KB, 223x310px
Post cards that WAY more decks should be playing.

Pic related. I've only seen one other deck ever have this card, and it's an amazing equalizer. If you're not playing green or blue, you are probably going to end up missing a land drop at some point. This card can catch you up super quickly. This card is less than a quarter to buy,
>>
>>49320254
The Moxen are decent, but they all have their drawbacks. Diamond kills a land drop, and I'm usually playing 36 land, so it's pretty light. Opal seems good, until you consider it isn't good until you're already up and running, it really doesn't help you get going faster unless you already have a nut draw.

Chrome Mox I think is the best of them, as long as you're running a decent amount of red permanents since there are usually dead cards in your hand during the early parts of the game.

For fast mana, all I usually run in Mono-R is Mana Crypt, Sol Ring, and sometimes Mana Vault. But I play a lot of 2 cmc rocks, because playing them off of one of the aforementioned fast rocks can be a crazy start, and because red doesn't have many impactful two drops.

>Everflowing Chalice, Mind Stone, Fire Diamond, Ruby Medallion, Felwar Stone, Coldsteel Heart.

>>49320306
You have to use that mana in your upkeep, it's fairly worthless outside of a few specific generals.
>>
>>49320331
I have a lot of extra combat sorceries in my current build (probably too many), so one of them could probably get cut for Chrome Mox

Are those rocks in greentext the ones you run?
>>
File: 220.jpg (68KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
220.jpg
68KB, 312x445px
>>49320307
>>
>>49316872
Nah flash in a containment priest in response to the first ETB
>>
>>49320367
Those are the 2 cmc rocks that I run, not the only ones.

Thran Dynamo, Worn Powerstone, Gilded Lotus, Commander's Sphere, Chromatic Lantern, Unstable Obelisk, Wayfarer's Bauble, Dreamstone Hedron, Coalition Relic, and Grim Monolith are some others.
>>
>>49320436
Got a list I can look at, by chance?

>>49320307
That's pretty groovy
>>
>>49317937
Many situations can create infinite mana with it, which in turn gives infinite life, untapping, tapping and drawing .

For example, new Selvala and a creature with 6 or more power does this. Wirewood Channeler/Priest of Titania and 4 other elves does this. It's very simple once you start looking.
>>
File: 1400173317108.png (107KB, 230x199px) Image search: [Google]
1400173317108.png
107KB, 230x199px
>Get Sun Titan and Gisela on the battlefield, but can't attack because the opponent has a 21/21 Indestructible Sigarda on the battlefield only being held back by Solitary Confinement
>Pump fucking infinite god damn mana into Erebos
>Austere Command
>>
File: 245.jpg (55KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
245.jpg
55KB, 312x445px
post comfy basics
>>
>>49320493
Hopefully you had infinite life to go along with that mana

I'm assuming yes since you were in Orzhov
>>
>>49320307
Oh, I have a couple of these:

>Nim Deathmantel, Ashnod's Altar, Strionic Resonator, Illusionists Bracers
I think every deck should have all of these, because why not? I can't think of a single deck that wouldn't benefit from all these cards.

>Dismember
While it is one of the more popular removal cards, giving something -5/-5 will generally kill anything with indestructible.

>Nevinyrral's Disk
Wipe the board for 4 mana? Why the fuck not.

>Tree of Perdition
Stupidly good. Ridiculously stupidly good. Every black deck should run one.

>Sudden Spoiling
For 1BB you put every single hexproof/flicker/indestructible creature in check, and if you throw up a shrivel or an Elesh Norn, your opponent is going to feel pretty bad.

>Desecration Demon/Archfiend of Depravity/Reaper of the Abyss
I recommend these cards as much as I possibly can. Inexpensive, efficient beaters that control the board as soon as they land, and together they're the holy trinity of Mazerik. You can even play them sequentially on a nice curve.

>Palladium Myr
2 colourless mana on a 2/2 dork for 3 mana. I know 3 mana rocks aren't viable in competitive, but you could do a lot worse for $0.82.

>Taymio's Journal + Kuldotha Forgemaster
On their own they're pretty good, but together you have a regenerating value engine capable of both tutoring things, drawing cards, and putting metalcraft online with one additional artifact. A godsend in decks weak on draw power.
>>
File: en_KXwfKLvg3x.png (144KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
en_KXwfKLvg3x.png
144KB, 265x370px
>>49320497
The comfiest swamp since Lorwyn
>>
>>49320546
Nim Deathmantle is astoundingly good
>>
>>49320564
Particularly with Ashnods. It basically reads:
"Pay 2 mana per creature: Sacrifice any number of creatures at instant speed, return them to the battlefield, and give one creature +2/+2."

Like I said, I'm surprised every single deck doesn't run that setup.
>>
>>49320517
I usually struggle to get life because all my card draw bleeds me, but this time I got a T2 Blind Obedience and I was basically at 40 life the whole game no matter how much people hit me. That card is fucking great.
I do need more forms of gaining life, though. Any ideas?
>>
>>49320597
Crypt Ghast, Gray Merchant, Exsanguinate, Debt to the Deathless, Divinity of Pride, Wurmcoil Engine.

Pretty basic ones, you probably had most of these I'm guessing, but just putting them out there.
>>
>>49320553
...that is actually REALLY comfy.
>>
>>49320645
A lot of the new basics are really comfy. The islands especially.
>>
LEOVOLD BAN WHEN

Toilet commander for toilet people
>>
File: 233.jpg (45KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
233.jpg
45KB, 312x445px
>>49320497
I really ought to get more of these before Amonkhet comes out.
>>
>>49320683
>I run Leovold with all sorts of windfall/cantrips/rhysic study/consecrated sphinx
>the idiots in my group haven't realized that certain cards draw you cards without utilizing the word "draw"
>>
>>49320683
>playing with a shitty group
>not having top fun where 75% of your group's decks are pure jank

I cherish them all every day
>>
File: ss+(2016-09-12+at+09.41.18).jpg (1MB, 836x1920px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-09-12+at+09.41.18).jpg
1MB, 836x1920px
>>49320674
>>49320645

All of Kaladesh basics are super comfy. In fact I want to get a Bundle/Fat Pack partly because of the lands.
>>
>>49320497
I was always partial to this one.
>>
File: Uzumaki-v01-c001-040-041[1].png (125KB, 431x272px) Image search: [Google]
Uzumaki-v01-c001-040-041[1].png
125KB, 431x272px
>>49320747
>those swamps and islands
>>
File: plains.jpg (24KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
plains.jpg
24KB, 223x310px
>>49320776
Fuck
>>
>>49319438
Is it worth it to get into MTGO for EDH and pauper?

I like that you can be stingy and still do well since all the staples are like 0.01 tix.

But I don't want to double dip.

And I really love pauper, and need to get my fix more often.
>>
File: Budget brews.png (764KB, 1114x392px) Image search: [Google]
Budget brews.png
764KB, 1114x392px
Trying to decide what to do. I have a budget of roughly $100 for cards for the next few months and I'm considering either a new budget deck with a new general or fixing up my bare minimum Rakdos deck to actually make it work well.

Any thoughts guys? These are the few I've been thinking of.
>>
File: 91042_200w.jpg (18KB, 200x285px) Image search: [Google]
91042_200w.jpg
18KB, 200x285px
>>49320497
I have a couple. This one is my bookmark.
>>
File: oh my god.jpg (29KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
oh my god.jpg
29KB, 223x310px
>>49320497
>>49320800
This is the comfiest swamp.
>>
File: 304.jpg (47KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
304.jpg
47KB, 312x445px
>>49320497
Comfiest and best Mountain.
>>
File: izzet_mountain.jpg (32KB, 212x297px) Image search: [Google]
izzet_mountain.jpg
32KB, 212x297px
>>49320497
>>49320815
>that feel when one anon actually has these sexy, sexy lands
>>
File: forest.jpg (31KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
forest.jpg
31KB, 223x310px
>>49320497
My favorite forest. I don't know what it is, but I still think it's pretty snazzy.
>>
Can burn be a good or fun deck in EDH? I feel that's the only theme I want to build left in EDH.

Whats the best color or commander for Burn? Aside from monored?
>>
>>49320924
Purphoros or Heartless Hidetsugu are pretty much your only decent options.
>>
File: wg.jpg (7KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
wg.jpg
7KB, 225x225px
>nature meets civilization
>power meets consistency
>primal instinct meets intelligent design
>the soil of life meets the building blocks of humanity
Why aren't you a member of the master race yet?
>>
>>49317937
Can make infinite mana with several mana dorks.
Can use infinite mana to draw your deck, usually winning on the spot. Control decks can dump extra mana into EOT for value.
>>
File: absolutely indebted.jpg (93KB, 581x569px) Image search: [Google]
absolutely indebted.jpg
93KB, 581x569px
>>49320942
>joining hippy cults
>year of our lord two thousand sixteen
>>
File: 18613_200w.jpg (31KB, 200x285px) Image search: [Google]
18613_200w.jpg
31KB, 200x285px
At first, a seemingly solid creature spell that only grows into a greater, unstoppable threat as time goes on. On closer inspection, it will most certainly always be a dead card if you lose any permanents. Within my meta, it's my aggro-heavy Anafenza deck that will be targeted first. Looks like something that would function fine in a tribal deck, but not playable otherwise.
>>
>>49320797
While I think Feldon is the best Budget build, as you only need to buy the precon and then dollar rare hunt for a solid deck, its probably better to optimize the Rakdos deck you already have. An optimized deck is always more interesting and fun then a simple budget build. Plus, based on watching my friend, Rakdos can be hilarious when it goes off.
>>
File: mazirekkrauldeathpriest.jpg (52KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
mazirekkrauldeathpriest.jpg
52KB, 265x370px
>>49320942
>energy meets entropy
>life meets death
>yin meets yang
>the corpse becomes a flower
Why are you still a member of the shit hippie cult for flower wearing faggots named "Mist" or "Rainbeaux"?
>>
>>49321015
>playing black
>ever
Poverty
>>
File: 152.jpg (68KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
152.jpg
68KB, 312x445px
>>49320942
>>49321015

>nature brings questions
>questions leads to knowledge
>knowledge leads to evolution
>evolution leads to enlightenment

It's like you other guilds don't even want to step up.
>>
>>49320974
Best Deck, Best Waifu.
>>
File: flickering.png (273KB, 450x314px) Image search: [Google]
flickering.png
273KB, 450x314px
Any advice for building around these?
>>
>>49321045
>not playing black
Oh, let me guess, you're one of those "blue" types?

>>49321083
Simic is a high-tier choice, but I prefer the life-death juxtaposition as opposed to the nature-science one. I don't need to question things I'm intrinsically part of, and fight to control the forces that bind me, I just need to experience them and accept nature's course.
>>
>>49321117
>Oh, let me guess, you're one of those "blue" types?
I'm of the white master race, you filthy black player.
>>
>>49321117
>Oh, let me guess, you're one of those "blue" types?
>Not accepting Dimir as the actual master race
>>
File: ourgloriousleader.jpg (179KB, 620x620px) Image search: [Google]
ourgloriousleader.jpg
179KB, 620x620px
>>49321083
>>49321015
>knowledge is illegal
>nature is illegal
>questions are illegal
>enlightenment is illegal
>yin and yang, yep, illegal

Fill out forms 2325-A through 326284-S, plebians.
>>
>>49321147
Can you somehow outlaw yourself?
>>
>>49321147
Azorius a best
>>
>>49321133
>he actually thinks white is a colour used by non-faggots
Anon, you do realize you have objectively the worst monocoloured deck, right? White is a fine colour, but if you appreciate white without appreciating what black has to offer, you're merely a charlatan.

>>49321145
>Dimir
>asiangirlslaughing.jpeg
Look at him, he thinks his guild is real. Go on, I'll let you mill a couple of cards from my library, while I rev up my reanimating sac-a-thon.

>>49321147
Okay, you're a cool guy. If you don't mind my messy apartment filled with rotting things, we could probably be friends.
>>
File: Image (1).jpg (34KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image (1).jpg
34KB, 223x310px
>>49321147
>Use your sense of justice and law to temper your emotions into a white-hot sword point
>Use your abilities to gather an army together, united by zealotry and undying loyalty
>Can't draw cards for shit so you lose anyway

Such is the Boros life.
>>
File: 99.jpg (101KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
99.jpg
101KB, 312x445px
>>49321147
>>49321083

>fuck thinking
>fuck the rules
>fuck everybody
>Im hungry
>I need to shit so I shit here

ooga booga where the white cards at
>>
>>49321192
NOT GRUUL? THEN DIE!
>>
File: My Commanders.png (730KB, 1113x380px) Image search: [Google]
My Commanders.png
730KB, 1113x380px
>>49315177
I should probably do more tweeking before making another deck, as much as my greed wants to compel me.
>>
File: Rakdos.jpg (120KB, 620x400px) Image search: [Google]
Rakdos.jpg
120KB, 620x400px
>>49320942
>>49320974
>>49321015
>>49321083
>>49321147

>These faggots don't even know how to throw a party
Hey Kids wanna buy some drugs?
>>
File: 3777013-3042082988-jSPSk.jpg (433KB, 1547x1250px) Image search: [Google]
3777013-3042082988-jSPSk.jpg
433KB, 1547x1250px
>>49321212
THIS THREAD BORES ME

I DEMAND MORE EXPLOSIONS
>>
>>49320712

I thought that was Pooch.
>>
Ravnica is lame
>>
Looking to cut 2 more cards from this deck. Any suggestions?

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/11-09-16-what-is-dead-may-never-die/
>>
>>49321239
Niv-Mizzet is a pretty cool guy. I mean, how rad would it be to be the dragon boss of a bunch of bat-shit crazy scientists? Your whole schtick is being the boss of calamity while pretending to be a fancy dragon.
>>
>>49321192
i used to think this guy was headless with horns growing out of both ends of his neck. kind of lame now desu
>>
File: 1461553889603.gif (140KB, 379x440px) Image search: [Google]
1461553889603.gif
140KB, 379x440px
>>49321279
He's a two-headed monster with an axe for a hand, who bitchslaps any mage who acts high and mighty, who can throw down with anything up to a goddamn dragon, and you think he's lame.

I think YOU'RE the lame one.
>>
>>49320712
>tfw curving leovold into Teferis puzzle box
>>
File: Image.ashx.jpg (36KB, 223x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image.ashx.jpg
36KB, 223x310px
Planning to start building a Karrthus, been looking at EDHRec and going through all the dragons I own (I'm pulling apart my Zirilan EDH so I have some good material to start with)

And super secret tech I should know about?
Also is there anything like homeward path that isn't homeward path? I'm paranoid about someone cloning him but I think homeward path is the only card with that effect.

Really looking forward to a more effective Dragon deck. Zirilan was fun but if I couldn't keep him on the board my deck was dead, and when I kept him I usually toolboxed and killed people super quick. I think a jund build will be more consistent and fun for both sides.

also why is Karrthus 15 fucking dollars damn son

I'd have thought he'd be cheap as fuck, he's not used in any format except commander right?
>>
>>49321664
I just can't see why I'd run this over Prossh.
>>
>>49321685
Dragon Tribal rather than token tribal.

Prossh is probably stronger but I want to make a RAWR STOMP STOMP DRAGON deck rather than a combo-ey tokenspam deck.

Sure you can do dragon tribal with prossh, but I like this guy more.
>>
>>49321110
>>49321110
Skybind is great with Daxos

tons of synergy, from bouncing your own lands to net you more effective mana in a game round to bouncing itself at instant speed as protection from spells that would otherwise kill, killing tokens easily

if you get some mana and stabilize the game you can grind out value like crazy
>>
>>49321664
>>49321707

>Guy was playing Karrthus
>plays commander
>Swings with dragon army
>Supplant Form
>gets all his dragons
>kills Karrthus player with Karrthus and friends on his next turn
>>
>>49320307
Mystic Remora
Stonehewer Giant
Sword of the Animist
Sunforger
Crystal Ball
Royal Assassin
Phyrexian Reclamation
Wargate
Stitch Together
Glacial Chasm
>>
>>49321837
>>49320307
forgot Vedalken Orrery
>>
>>49321788
I like Orzhov colors and grinding out resources, and one of the people at my locals gets triggered as fuck by the lore behind Daxos, so it sounds good. Should I just pick up a single of Daxos, or go in for the precon?
>>
>>49321837

I've heard the complaint that Sword of the Animist doesn't really get going until you're already set up.
>>
>>49321861

...The fuck is there to be triggered about?
>>
File: 90sMTG.png (262KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
90sMTG.png
262KB, 375x523px
>>49321178
Being JUSTICE is suffering.
>>
>>49315515
>ghost rares
What are they? Some new marketing scheme?
>>
>>49321866
it works very well in my boros war themed deck. besides sunforger is the equipment I tutor for the most
>>
>>49321870
A reminder that Elspeth is dead.
>>
>>49321886
Basically they are doing Expeditions in each set now, but themed with the set. Kaladesh will have "inventions" at the rarer than foil mythic slot, with stuff from the gearhulks to mana crypt, static orb to crucible of worlds. Art and cardframes are beautiful, I'm slightly annoyed by them but they will probably bring down the cost of standard at least somewhat, and that's all good in my book.
>>
>decide to try making a sac & recur deck
>"woah look at all these interactions i can make, i'll be unstoppable"
>put in 10 sac outlets, 10 sac fodder cards, 10 great LTB effects, etc.
>try goldfishing
>can't draw a sac outlet
>can't draw sac fodder
>can't draw LTB effects

do these decks ever actually work? should i just throw teysa in the trash and just do ayli instead? at least i'd always have a sac outlet out
>>
My main problem in EDH is getting mana fucked. I never seem to draw more than 3-4 lands. I run 36-40 lands in every build.
>>
>>49321943
Your leader should be doing at least two of these things, who the fuck are you running
>>
>>49321991
run at least 38, with mana rocks and land based ramp if you are in green or white. Cutting the last couple cards sucks but its better than note being able to play your shit.
>>
>>49321991
1. Run mana ramp
2. Run cheap card draw
3. Mulligan more. If your hand doesn't do anything for 3 turns, mulligan it.
>>
>>49321995
teysa, orzhov scion. yeah, she technically does sac stuff on a condition and has a cool LTB effect but it doesn't feel enough in goldfishing. maybe i need to try this deck in practice to see if it's any good

maybe the problem is that i'm used to playing very straightforward and consistent stuff, like xenagos and such. these grindy, slow decks just feel weird to me
>>
>>49322016
I usually run 8-10 rocks, too. I'll mull until I have 3 lands in my hand, and just not draw any more until it's too late.
>>
>>49322054
Dude just play a couple more lands a shuffle your fucking deck
>>
>>49322050
Idk how your playgroup is but mine has a pretty looseygoosey proxy rule, we proxy entire decks to see if we like the playstyle and if we don't we scrap em.

there's a few implications with it too but it's pretty laidback.
>>
Having some trouble deciding on a new deck , basically anything I think of I end up just deciding it will end up as X type of deck and thinking that it'l end up boring and how easily it can be countered. What do I do?
>>
>>49315547
Mind's Eye and Scroll Rack are on my "Bottom Five" list.
>>
>>49321943
>your commander is a sac outlet
>you cannot find things to sac
I don't understand. It's literally a 2 part combo in which you always have 1 part, and have load of interchangeable parts for the other half.

Are you, like, loaded up on black stuff with no white, or something?
>>
>>49319960
There's a reason people refer to high level proxy cards as chinamen fakes
>>
>>49322522
>Are you, like, loaded up on black stuff with no white, or something?

pretty much. i have some white token creators but otherwise most of my stuff is black. i don't really see the point of saccing 3 white drops to exile one enemy creature

would it be better to go 100% on white tokens and weenies instead? maybe a few really good black creatures like fleshbag marauder and so on?
>>
>>49322604
>i don't really see the point of saccing 3 white drops to exile one enemy creature
>this is your commander's ability

A) it's pretty good, dude. targeted unconditional exile is a motherfucker

B) if you don't want that then teysa probably isn't a great commander for you

Teysa decks involve a healthy number of good creatures in both categories. But you better have sac out the ass if you want to be black heavy, cuz you NEED those black creatures to die so that you can get those spirits, which in turn can be sacced for exile.

If you don't like that game plan, perhaps Ayli might be a better fit for you. No color considerations to worry about, just sac and working to keep your life total up, and make sure you pack your reanimator.
>>
>>49322646
yeah i don't really like relying on drawing sac outlets so i'll try out mostly white weenies and tokens next.

>If you don't like that game plan, perhaps Ayli might be a better fit for you.
yeah i still don't really know which one to go for. ayli seems more comfy and consistent. teysa seems more powerful and build-around.
>>
File: myedh group.png (2MB, 1500x1937px) Image search: [Google]
myedh group.png
2MB, 1500x1937px
Here's my group with really shitty artistic representations
>>
>>49322646
>>49322835
actually i did some math and i'm not sure it's worth going for white tokens. in general, you're going to get 1 white token per 1 mana. so 1 exile use costs 3 mana, and it's going to be either transparent that you're going to do it, or it will come out at sorcery speed. i guess that's decent, but it's not huge value unless you have a billion really good LTB effects. or maybe im a bit retarded and expect too much out of a 3 mana commander
>>
>no one wants to draft M14 with me
What the fuck?
>>
>>49315618
>too broken
lolwhut
>>
>>49323171
M14 was slow and boring as fuck, try literally any other set besides BFZ
>>
>>49323171

Why would you want to draft M14?
>>
>>49323374
Slivers
>>
>>49323415
Just buy singles
>>
>>49316034
>>49316289
Thanks for the advice guys

>>49316511
>http://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/arcana/lorans-smile-2014-10-27
.....................*sigh*.............

Goddamn it anon... I read that on the trainride home. This was perhaps one of my favorite short fantasy stories... like ever...

Holy shit I never expected that kind of writing from a magic product, like, ever... fuck

Guess I'm joining the Feldon train now. Ordering my red commander deck precon tonight and rare hunting this weekend.

Anyone have some fun secret tech cards to look for like clone shell or Sundial of the infinite?

Also what are some of the good combos I can pull off with him? Any interesting ways to go infinite?
>>
>>49315547
>TFW they only print masterpieces of two of the 5 swords
>but I run all 5 in my Gobo and these two would look out of place with their fancy boarders
>But if they masterpiece the other swords later they would all have different boarders
>My OCD forbid it
>I'll never own the masterpiece swords even though they look amazing...
Life is suffering... I just hope the three others are in the next set...
>>
>>49324156
They printed 3 in this set. Likely leaving War & Peace and Body & Mind for Aether Revolt
>>
>>49324156
>F&I in mono-red
But why

Then you can't use delicious tech like Magnetic Theft and Chandra's Ignition when you have Basilisk Collar equipped
>>
File: i-have-cdo.jpg (47KB, 650x650px) Image search: [Google]
i-have-cdo.jpg
47KB, 650x650px
>>49324215
Because OCD mate... I got 4 of them and the 5th was staring at me from my LGS's card cabinet for a few weeks until I caved in from the stress.

If I start to collect a cycle of cards I just go nuts if I don't finish it. Its why I play mono color, because buying fetches, shocks, and duels for a 3 color deck would drive me crazy and be too expensive...

Another example is that I don't run any of the eldrazi titans because I cant run Emrakul the Aeons Torn and thus I would feel stressed as fuck.

All my lands are the same ring shaped full art mountain from zendikar.

I run not a single foil, because it would be out of place... either all foil or all not. If I got the masterpieces they would be my first foils in the deck.

OCD is a bitch anon... Granted, its not the end of the world, in fact it rarely effects me in crazy real ways, I can do my job, I lead a nice social life, I have a wonderful wife and a beautiful baby girl... Its only a few things that drive me crazy, like folding laundry, mowing the lawn, and the whole "carrots and peas" thing, but Magic is a BITCH with it, don't really know why but still. So I play Gobo mostly and for the most part am happy with it.
>>
>>49321252
What is that?
>>
>>49321279
No joke, I never realized he had two heads either for years, and one of my friends hard core rocked him.
>>
>>49324342
Damn, that kind of sucks anon. I honestly never expected OCD to manifest in something like that. I hope the other swords come out for you.

But DAMN, you must be well off to be considering getting 5 masterpieces, and the swords no less...
>>
>>49315553
What about stuff like cockatrice or xmage
>>
File: My EDH.png (2MB, 1502x898px) Image search: [Google]
My EDH.png
2MB, 1502x898px
>>49315177
>>
>>49321145
What? We're talking about the 9 Ravnica Guilds. What the hell is a Dimir?
>>
File: 13795_200w.jpg (26KB, 200x285px) Image search: [Google]
13795_200w.jpg
26KB, 200x285px
what are the infinite combos for pic related
>>
>>49324713
Any infinite graveyard based combo:
>Ashnod's Altar + Nim Deathmantle + black creature with Teysa or anything that creates a token etb
>Nether Traitor/Reassembling Skeleton + Phyrexian Arena + Teysa
>Darkest Hour + black creature & sac outlet + Teysa
>Reveillark + Karmic Guide + sac outlet
>Sun Titan + Gift of Immortality/Angelic Renewal/Animate Dead + sac outlet

There's more, but you get the idea. The deck is built on redundant combos. Lots Blood Artist effects are also a must.
>>
>>49324713
speaking of orzhov, is karlov better as control or voltron?

i kind of want to see if i can make an extort/control karlov deck but sadly someone in my group already plays karlov in some really fucking weird semi-voltron way and he never uses the exile ability
>>
>>49324836
Karlov is better voltron, but there's no reason you can't make use of his exile ability. Make the deck so he quickly builds counters, control the board, then swing in when you have an opportunity.
>>
>>49324881
ehhh that sounds attention grabby. i've been playing xenagos in the past month so i want to play something low-threat, funny and comfy now. preferably not a cut-throat style "gotta win" deck so that i can do my goofy shit in peace, but i would like to win with it regardless. no idea what to build though, but the deck archetypes i'm so far interested in are stuff like:

>politician gwafa, bribe players to attack each other, bribe them to stop attacking me, etc.
>ayli life gain & drain and control, just be an unkillable turd that shoots out permanent exilement
>grenzo, havoc raiser goad chaos

stuff like that. no idea what to make though.
>>
>>49324836
Karlov is best built to have multiple win conditions based on the decks you are fighting.

He can do pretty much everything needed for a life gain style deck.

Your win conditions can easily be:
Felidar Sovereign
Test of Endurance
Karlov Commander Damage
Life drain through extort
Sacrifice engines with Blood Artist style effects
Sanguine/Exquisite Blood combo
Aetherflux Reservoir

You just play, gain life and look for a solid option as the game presents itself, all the while keeping Karlov around to nuke annoying creatures does. It can get very political when it comes down to it and has a number of viable answers.

Karlov is pretty much the perfect all around life gain commander right now and can easily go big or small depending on the table your playing at the time.

A similar deck with Ayil is possible, but is more of a sac control deck with gravepact effects and sac engines.
>>
>>49325142
yeah the thing is that i don't really like having wincons that are like "wow you've managed to play a card that instantly wins you the game, congratulations". victories with combos or those goofy wincon cards just don't feel like anything to me. i want to win on my own terms, or not at all.

i think ayli is the way to go for me, even if she isn't the "best". i wanted to abuse creature death effects anyway, and having a reliable sac outlet on the command zone will help a lot with that.

also karlov is a dumb ghost dad and ayli is a beautiful waifu that will protect me early with her 2cmc deathtouch body so theres that too
>>
>>49325235
oh but i will be picking up an aetherflux reservoir because lmao 50 damage 50 DAMAGE

which one should i take by the way if i can only have one, sanguine blood or exquisite blood? i don't really want to put a 2 card instant win combo in my feelgood deck
>>
>>49325235
>>49325256
The problem with life gain decks are that if you aren't willing to go for those 1-2 card win conditions then you are handicapping yourself tremendously.

Life gain is very hard to win with outside of that as the remaining strategies are basically burning people with Extort or other small pingers, which gives the table time to counter you.

>which one should i take by the way if i can only have one, sanguine blood or exquisite blood?

sanguine bond, you'll have many ways to gain life, few to actually damage through it.
>>
>>49325321
yeah i don't know if i can manage it but i don't want infinite life gain, just enough to hover at around 50-60 life.

maybe it would be better to go tall instead of wide with ayli? like, have tons of meaty, dull creatures that i can sac for health gain if i need any? like grave titan and so on? then i could "adjust" my life gain as needed
>>
File: SCIENCE!.jpg (2MB, 2592x1944px) Image search: [Google]
SCIENCE!.jpg
2MB, 2592x1944px
>>49321239
Ha Ha! Time to blast some science up in this bitch!
>>
What is the most "mad science" deck in EDH. One designed to truly have fun with the random crazy shit magic brings forth?

My guess would be Kaervek as a chaos deck with possibility storm and a bunch of other lockdown effects and crazy burn abilities but I'm sure Izzet has some crazy shit as well.
>>
File: 1473777862969.png (446KB, 750x523px) Image search: [Google]
1473777862969.png
446KB, 750x523px
I know the general distaste for custom cards, but would you build one of these?
>>
File: the full group.jpg (409KB, 1496x2030px) Image search: [Google]
the full group.jpg
409KB, 1496x2030px
>>49322983
I love this new template, I have always believed you can tell a lot about a person through the decks they play, and the little interpretations of them on the right add to my theory.
>>49316975
Updated my group
>>
>>49320794
absolutely, it's all i play on MTGO. most commander decks can be pretty competitive for <20$
>>
>>49324115
>Anyone have some fun secret tech cards to look for
I'll just link my tappedout. It's still a WIP but it's shaping up okay.
But here's some advice you might not know. It might not be a bad idea to take some defensive creatures to copy with Feldon to pop on their turn instead of just attacking every turn. Make them think twice about playing a spell if you're just gonna copy it with Dualcaster Mage, or use Duplicant to clear their board.
Secondly, if you wait until the end step right before your turn to activate Feldon's ability you can keep the creature for the entirety of your turn, which means you can have two copies of the same creature on the board at the same time. This can lead to some crazy shit happening, like Utvara Hellkites making a ton of dragons.
>>
So I was playing conspiracy 2 the other day and we found the new monarch mechanic to be PERFECT for fixing multiplayer. It made people want to attack! It was great, I wasn't that fond of conspiracy 1 because it was like all the problems of edh but none of the fun decks. So we also realized that if you become the monarch in edh, someone will always be the monarch (for the rest of the game, unless someone dies as the monarch). So I assume I'm late to this party, but while you guys were probably thinking about how you can build your deck around being the monarch I'm just thinking wow, you play marchesa and you just turn the game into a slightly different funner game. Seems cool right?
>>
File: My EDH playgroup.jpg (483KB, 1500x1103px) Image search: [Google]
My EDH playgroup.jpg
483KB, 1500x1103px
>>49315177
WIP my group so far
>>49322983
Why wait when you can start UR artifacts today?
>>49325853
Spawnwrithe is actually so gross. Got decimated at my LGS by that thing in Xenagos and immediately bought one for myself
>>
>>49325924
indeed

how's queen marchesa as a commander, anyway? i have a one lying around. i'm guessing she would be best as a staxy control commander that kills everything that tries to attack with cheap removal
>>
File: dracogenius.jpg (44KB, 234x320px) Image search: [Google]
dracogenius.jpg
44KB, 234x320px
>>49320942
>Ingenuity meets Passion
>Reflexion meets Action
>Creation meets Innovation
>Monday meets Wednesday

Shit, we lost Tuesday... Oh well, it'll turn up eventually
>>
>>49325726
If these are yours Ramesh should have flash
>>
hey guys...

been playing since 1998 pretty casually. just getting back into paper since prob 2002...

lgs has a commander night and i've never really played commander but the format seems super cool

are there any fairly competetive decks that are reasonably priced? maybe $100?
>>
>>49326271
$100 isn't really reasonable. At that price, it means every card in your deck is average $1 value.
>>
File: Guilds_of_Ravnica.png (389KB, 1280x1244px) Image search: [Google]
Guilds_of_Ravnica.png
389KB, 1280x1244px
>>49326011
I was surprised how quickly that thing can get out of control. Next thing you know there are 6 spawnwrithes. You think you got it under control, then boom, second harvest
>>49326271
You can build a fairly competitive list for under $100, as long as you keep your mana base cheap. Stick to one or two colors. Maybe go for purph, he's 8 bucks, but the rest of the deck can be relatively cheap while still being competitive
>>
>>49326271
i'm not an EDH expert but you can build a purphorous deck really cheap and he's supposedly very good for the budget. the downside is that he's pretty boring to play

spymaster edric is also usually pretty cheap to build and he dominates
>>
>>49326345
>>49326346
>>49326352
i appreciate the reply my dudes..

i'd be willing to drop a bit more cash as commander format doesn't change all that often

not sure how long ill want to play standard for after kaladesh release... its just a constant money rotation that i dislike

hopefully i can just build a nice commander deck, legacy deck and coast on those for a while!

i guess i'll build some decks out in cockatrice or xmage and try them out and see whats fun to play and economically feasible!
>>
>>49326345
If you're mono colored, you can get basic lands are basically free. That's almost 40$ off.

And I know I know, there are plenty of nonbasic lands for mono color that arent cheap, but many aren't incredibly important to the final build, they're actually there to tune up the deck and make it run smoother
>>
>>49326271
Any red deck or jund deck with Prossh or purphuros is good, you probably also just buy one of the precon decks and we can help you edit it so its more competitive. None of the decks are absolute duds but none of them are really great either, but again we can help with that. Edric Spymaster of trest is pretty good also, the deck is basically every blue/green 1-2 mana creature with evasion, some control pieces, and massive pump effecs. Had the deck myself once, was fun to draw 1-3 extra cards a turn and then play overrun or triumph of the hordes out of nowhere to kill someone (and draw 5 careds).
>>
>>49325726
Ridiculously hilariously busted. Kumar reads "t:put any zero mana artifact onto the battlefield." Ramesh is fine, but a little meh.
>>
>>49326386
Smart man, and yeah, ditch standard as fast as you can. It's a cash grab.

Play commander, make some close commandbros, and never go back to netdecking standard again.
>>
>>49326411
How is that busted?
>>
>>49326415
If I could ask a dumb question...

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/05-09-16-Voe-the-gitrog-monster/

this deck is interesting and i love the gitrog monster... seems affordable..

when importing this list into cockatrice it shows 120 cards....

however on the website it shows this being a 100 card deck.. even subtracting for the sideboard it doesn't add up

i made sure to take out all the card types like "creature" "artifact" ect ect
>>
>>49326386
>>49326415
Standard is retarded. I only play eternal. Current have decks for EDH, Pauper, and Legacy.
>>
File: 9.jpg (73KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
9.jpg
73KB, 312x445px
This deck is not finished. I pulled apart some other decks and dug through my collection to build this nearly done deck. Have everything listed here except the blade of selves. What is missing here to make this deck really work? Is the mana ramp and card draw about right in your estimation? Should I focus the remaining slots on more creatures?

http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/evening-star-1/
>>
>>49326599
I've used cockatrice, and I looked at that last
Gitrog List, assuming you removed the sideboard, I have no idea what went wrong. Try manually punching it in, or just play test the deck using tappedout to see if you like it.

Sorry man, no idea why it isn't working
>>
I want to build a deck that has blue in it since none of my current decks do, and my two friends suggested thada and kruphix; which one should I pick and why?
>>
>>49326599
Also, Gitrog can be affordable, the only REAL expensive card is crucible of worlds. Life from the loam is a little pricy too
>>
>>49326615
Starting to like Pauper a lot. I just wish it was more popular in paper for FNMs or something because playing on MTGO loses out on any social interaction.
>>
File: Harambe Returned.png (330KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Harambe Returned.png
330KB, 375x523px
>>
File: Image.jpg (73KB, 445x310px) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
73KB, 445x310px
>>49315152
Post fun card combinations
>>
>>49326727
Thada. What's better than four so rings?
five sol rings
>>
>>49326089
I think you can build her as many different things. Trying to go full pillowfort is unlikely to work well but you can always try. Stax or other forms of mardu value seems good. You can also just play random aggro creatures like hero of bladehold, molten primordial, brimaz, and goblin rabblemaster and just smash people. Her abilities help you whether you are aggro or defensive
>>
made a commander deck. can't for the life of me shuffle it. what do i do?
>>
>>49326892
what you could do is split it in halt, shuffle both halves, and then mix up the cards between those halves. Otherwise have someone else do it or get smaller sleeves
>>
>>49326934
the sleeves are small

how do you reccomend i combine both halves? just mash as evenly as possible a single time after both halves have been rifled well enough?
>>
>>49326702
You definitely want some more early game draw effects like Read the Bones, Sign in Blood/Night's Whisper. Adding in 1-2 more 2cmc mana rocks will help smooth the deck out too.
Also you really want Reassembling Skeleton and Bloodghast/Nether Traitor/Tenacious Dead to give you more mileage from your sac effects. Also Corpse Dance is amazing in Kokopuffs.
>>
>>49326961
I split mine, rifle each 7 times then single mash them together and cut the deck and pass to opponent. No idea if this is a good idea or if that single mash unrandomizes it to a certain degree. Anyone know?
>>
File: dovinbaan.jpg (52KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
dovinbaan.jpg
52KB, 265x370px
Seems so-so
>>
>>49326585
There are lands that are also artifacts, and Lotus Bloom is a real card
>>
File: 125.jpg (128KB, 623x445px) Image search: [Google]
125.jpg
128KB, 623x445px
>>49326979
>Corpse Dance

I'd never even heard of that card before, thanks. Looks awesome.

And yeah, I have a few of those lower costed draws sitting around, I should switch them in and put in some better rocks. Probably cut the talisman for a better rock too.

>>49326786
Pic
>>
>>49327013
Holy shit that's bad. Worst planeswalker ever?
Oh wait, Tibalt.
>>
>>49327013
The second clause on the +1 saves it. Definitely useful if your playgroup uses commanders with activated abilities. Otherwise it's nothing amazing, thought I do love that Static Sphere emblem...
>>
File: Artifacts matter.png (132KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Artifacts matter.png
132KB, 223x311px
MMMMMhhhhh

>TFW its not UR

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMHHHHHHHHH
>>
>>49327154
S-still have grandma number two right?
>>
File: gitaxian_probe.jpg (31KB, 251x356px) Image search: [Google]
gitaxian_probe.jpg
31KB, 251x356px
any resources or discussions out there for specifically 1vs1 staples?
>>
File: 1473787297454719 (1).png (294KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
1473787297454719 (1).png
294KB, 375x523px
>>49326756
At least try to make things interesting.
>>
>>49327082

>7 mana sorc.
Are you counting on never, ever, being able to use that or what?
>>
>>49327154

Guess I'll be building Sydri then. He might be nice in the 99.

I kinda wonder what Tezzeret's going to look like given there's two x/u Planeswalkers in the set already and now a mono-blue artificer legendary. Didn't they go all weird with new Tamiyo's color identity for similar reasons?
>>
>>49327154
>Blue artifact only legend
>Nowhere near the levels of good like Arcum Dagsson or Memnarch

Sucks they wasted a legendary slot on this. They should have just made it UR. So they had SOMETHING to work with. Its amazing in the 99 though.
>>
>>49327154
nice fit for my augustin deck
>>
>>49327191
7 mana in black is nothing.

The actual problem is the built in auto-lose on lich.
>>
>>49327215
I'm okay with it. Not every legendary creature needs to be viable as. Commander; being monocolored is a plus in my book because he can fit into the 99 of more decks. Sydri likes him, as another anon helpfully pointed out.
>>
>>49320213
Blue is just cancer. Especially counter and snapcaster decks.
>>
>>49327154
Its like Muzzio but shittier
>>
>>49327192
I can see them doing an Esper Tezzeret. The white color identity kinda makes sense because he's the head judge for the inventor's fair.
>>
>>49320331
Didn't they remove mana burn? So it doesnt matter?
>>
>>49327363
You won't take damage, but you won't have that mana anymore after the upkeep, so unless you have a ton of abilities and instants you can blow through then, you'll never get to use the mana.
>>
How to build Angry Omnath? Just a bunch of ramp and landfall synergy with 5 power stuff and elementals? He seems like the only really reasonable R/G commander that can actually win games, I've tried Rahda, Ruric Thar, and Stonebrow, but none of them seems to be able to go as big and wide as Omnath.
>>
>>49327448
Less 5 power synergy, more sac outlets so you can burn up your elementals and bolt things as you need to and still get value.
>>
>>49327448
Yeah, Ramp and Elemental Tribal
There's a ton of powerful elementals.
>>
>>49327154
hey look, its a marginally worse leonin abunas
>>
>>49321093
what deck do you refer to and what card is that?
>>
File: come on now.jpg (43KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
come on now.jpg
43KB, 375x523px
>>49327189
>>49326756
Best one
>>
>>49327262
Depends on format, 7 mana is a silly amount. Then again this is EDH so easier
>>
>>49320747
Yeah, I LOVE those lands... The whole set so far is aweosome... I might have to throw down some cash for it as well.
>>
>>49320797
Rakdos is actually easy as fuck to do budget. It's my first deck, and there's a shitton of amazing Black demons that don't even cost a buck. Bonus points, they're all fliers so some decks have trouble with defending against the hordes of flying ~5/5 creatures you just dropped down.
>>
>>49327603
I don't think there's really any question of what format is being played if the cards Lich and Repay in Kind are displayed.

The question also wasn't "good" combos. Anything involving lich isn't really good, because any number of cards make you lose the game instantly.

Winning with Lich is certainly fun, though.
>>
File: Combustible-Gearhulk.png (141KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Combustible-Gearhulk.png
141KB, 223x311px
So, I was away for the weekend and didn't see the initial reactions to the spoilers. What are people's opinions on this fellow here?
>>
>>49327718
Everyone shat on it except for the five of us who play rakdos, daretti, or feldon.
>>
>>49327362

That could be interesting, especially from a flavor perspective. Plus it works just fine in Sydri, haha.
>>
>>49327154
MOTHER
FUCKER

Why are they so goddamn afraid of printing a UR artificer
>>
>>49327771

I am curious to see examples of the degenerate sort of things an UR Artificer commander could enable, as people have referred to in recent threads. Not that I'm saying they're wrong- I just want to see what they have come up with.
>>
>>49327771
UR is already good. Artifacts are always busted unless nerfed to hell. Combine the two and either you get a disappointing turd and pissed off fans or you've ruined several formats forever. I wouldn't want to be in their position.
The only real solution I can think of is to make something absolutely janky with a hard to get alternative wincon to please the EDH crowd at least.
>>
>>49327829
The amount of ways you'd be able to cheat in fuckhuge artifacts would be pretty gross
>>
>player in our playgroup has an incredibly oppressive Sydri dec
>build Mazirek so he has to sac things
>he just has too much board presence by the time I'm rolling
>build Nekusar to control his board and burn him for drawing while whole deck
>he simply lifegains right past the damage
>now I build Maelstrom Wanderer because, if I can't have fun, no one can have a board state

I'm bad and should feel bad, but fuck this guy's whole entire deck. The dude even proxied the expensive-as-fuck cards just to make sure he never loses
>>
NEW
>>49327974
>>49327974
>>49327974
>>49327974
>>49327974
>>
File: 1458227121084.png (162KB, 498x370px) Image search: [Google]
1458227121084.png
162KB, 498x370px
>>49327601
Should be
>Whenever a black creature with power 1 or less enters the battlefield, destroy Harambe.
>>
>>49327749
Really? I really like it. Powerful draw or damage effect for red, I'm considering it for both my Rakdos and my brion decks. Mostly Brion since it can still use a bit more card draw, and it fits the direct player damage theme as well.
>>
>>49327986
Nice. Now give it a way to interact with Olivia Voldaren
Thread posts: 338
Thread images: 85

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.