[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MTG Modern General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 319
Thread images: 27

File: Tarmogoyf.png (143KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Tarmogoyf.png
143KB, 223x311px
Magic: The Gathering Modern General
(competitive discussion)

Decklists:
>http://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern#paper

Primers:
>http://www.mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/modern

Kaladesh card image gallery (enemy fastlands):
>http://mythicspoiler.com/kld/index.html
>>
File: Grim Flayer.png (132KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Grim Flayer.png
132KB, 223x311px
Thread question: What are your thoughts on Grim Flayer? Where does it belong? Is it really good enough for Abzan and/or Jund?
>>
>>49311069
>Copied from the last thread

It's fine but I can't believe the shithulks are all getting them. Only green and white are worth the paper they'll be printed on. They're gonna put one money reprint to try and spur pack sales, with no guarantees once the novelty wears off.

I don't mind that they exist. I think if people with too much money to spend that want to foil out their decks have one more money sink to shoot for, by all means. If I get the chance to pull one in a draft, I like it. That said, their justifications in the article are bullshit. Standard will only be affected if these masterpieces actually make them sell that many more packs to have an oversupply of new cards so secondary market prices are dirt cheap (they have the metrics internally from the experiment with nu-zendikar and subsequently nu-innistrad), and the "we are giving you reprints!" Is bullshit too because the people who want reprints are looking for more supply and reduced prices, not a handful of foil mythic rarity reprints that will probably only drive up demand and costs will still remain absurd if expeditions are any indication.

The real issue here is the dude who will pull mana crypt and slaughter the limited grand prix due to the highest RNG variance mtg has ever seen.
>>
>>49313190
Fits in abzan perfectly.

Works in a jund shell, but the deck he fits in is usually a little different than the traditional jund build. Generally, they dont run bobs and might have an extra 4 drop main or something like that.
>>
Gosh, is the only way to make an absolutely not terrible Werewolf deck to run Collected Company in it?
>>
>>49313786

If you want to make a good deck, prepare to run good cards. The reason a werewolf deck will still suck is because your collected company won't get you anything that matters. Sorry.
>>
>>49313786

Is there a non-terrible standard werewolf deck? No. Was there a good werewolf deck back in Innistrad times? No. Then tell me anon: can you make a good werewolf deck?
>>
>>49313190
Bobby Flay is a powerhouse. In a Jund/Abzan shell he's a Tarmogoyf with trample that Scrys and provides card advantage. There's no doubt in my mind that Flayer will be a mainstay in that archtype for a long time.
>>
>>49314042
>that Scrys and provides card advantage
>card advantage

?????
>>
>>49314201
I guess binning Lingering Souls is card advantage.
>>
>>49313399

Now that I've seen the actual list of masterpieces, they very might well sell the set.

They're definitely pulling out all the stops with this one, this lineup looks better than any FTV Ive ever seen.
>>
How's BW tokens with no 'blossom for a budget deck? Planning on starting with Modern, and it seems to be the strongest deck to build on a limited budget. The only actually expensive things are the Paths, Discard spells and a bit of the manabase (though BW is not bad, only Abzan has real overlap with it).
>>
>>49314589
The deck is bad with BB. It will be atrocious without
>>
>>49314589
You'd need to figure out an adequate substitute for it b/c bitterblossom is kind of the core of the deck
>>
>>49314589
It's a really weak and inconsistent deck even without a budget holding it back. If you can't afford BB just go for another deck
>>
>>49314528
Don't compare it to FtV, it's literally the same plan as the Expeditions were. The Gearhulks are just getting slots the same way the BfZ lands did.
>>
>>49314528
BFZ might've had some good Expeditions, doesn't make it worth buying packs. Don't let this shit sell a set for you. Pretty as it is.
>>49314589
Paths are needed in almost every white deck. They're definitely worth it. Same with Thoughtseize for black. Inquisition of Kozileks are getting printed to demand in Conspiracy2, so those might drop even further than they have.
If you can't afford the Blossoms, just shitbrew with what staples you have. Honestly put down for the manabase first though.
>>
>>49314631
How come? Besides eating an Anger to the face, it has some good enough tools. Just the fact that it's great against spot removal and packs a ton of fliers should give it an advantage. Is the deck catching hate from other archetypes currently?

I am not really looking for a T1 deck. T2 on a budget is enough, and I do feel Tokens should be T2 as is.

>>49314757
I was intending on cutting the blossoms for Honor of the Pure and Secure the Wastes. Also, I might be mistaken but ain't Lingering Souls more vital? 4 fliers for 5 mana in 2 payments is fine. Secure the Wastes ain't that mana-efficient and does not generate fliers, but it's instant and versatile.

>>49314852
The Path/Discard suite is fine since it transfers to many other decks, I wouldn't feel bad acquiring them. The manabase is a bit odd though since few decks use it, but oh well, sometimes you gotta compromise.
>>
>>49314958
You don't what tiers are.
You don't know anything about the meta.

We're telling you it's bad but you're not listening. Good day.
>>
>>49314958
>and I do feel Tokens should be T2 as is.

what the fuck does that mean?
>>
>>49315063
>>49314958
>T2 on a budget is enough, and I do feel Tokens should be T2 as is.

Tiers are based on usage only, not on strength like fighting games would be for example. Blame OP, he forgot to post tiers and how they work.
>>
>>49314958
The deck will not meet your expectations. BW tokens is not even a T3 deck. You will not have a good time with it. You are a retard.
>>
>>49315040
Knowing WHY it's bad is more valuable than knowing it's bad. This seems like a deck that can reach top 32 at big events (with blossom though, probably), fun to boot and I don't see any similar decks in the format. So yeah.

>>49315113
Fair, I will be more careful with the use of the term from now on.
>>
>>49315134
>This seems like a deck that can reach top 32 at big events
Well it can't. Where are you getting this info? Pure speculation from your zero experience with the format?
>>
>>49315125
I wouldn't be that harsh, it could win an FNM easily and I figure that's where he's going to start, so it's not an awful choice.

>>49315134
>Fair, I will be more careful with the use of the term from now on.
It's not a big deal. It happens just about every other thread.
>>
>>49315155
Why? What are the weaknesses of the deck as far as matchups are concerned? How can SB improve it? Is it catching hate from other decks?

Sure, I might be inexperienced with the format, but a deck that attacks in the air with lots of small dudes in efficient cards and anthem effects, plus many ways to recover life, seems like a strong choice if you can pilot it well. Its only glaring weakness that I can observe is, really, wraths. Even pings start to get ineffective once you land Intangible Virtue. And decks seem to be running less enchantment removal these days.
>>
Is Suicide Zoo just a meme? From my limited testing it feels real.
>>
>>49315250
Ok, I'll explain it to you in a nice way. Here's your deck...
>Small efficient flyers, Bitterblossom as a value engine, Path to Exile, and discard.

just doesn't match up well against...

>Bolting your face until dead
>Tarmogoyf + Dark Confidant
>A big dumb gay robot shitting on your board turn 3.
>A big dumb green titan killing you on turn 3
>A deck that plays entirely from its graveyard and can give a fuck about discard and 1/1 flyers.

In the context of modern, BW Tokens is too fair of a deck to compete against the stronger strategies. The overwhelming majority of your matches will be unfavorable for you, so the deck is considered not viable.
>>
>>49315371
It's real because answers in Modern are so bad that a joke deck like that can get away with it.
>>
>>49315158
But you don't just "start" with BW tokens. The only thing that it can be converted to is Junk. And believe me you will want to convert it after a while. It's a huge waste of money to "start" with BW tokens.
>>
>>49315405
I'm not denying it's a bad deck because it is. But jund is actually a favorable MU for it and you've got access to some nice hate because you're running white.
>>
>>49314852
>Don't let this shit sell a set for you

I know better, the most packs of this shit I'll be opening are in limited and I'll hope for a Sol Ring. The dudes in my LGS Facebook group are circlejerking it as mtgs saviour though. Silly.
>>
>>49315134
Knowing WHY it's bad is more valuable than knowing it's bad.
BW Tokens is considered weak because you're playing extremely fair magic in a format dominated by unfair decks. BW Tokens is fair while lacking the raw power of Jund or Abzan.

> This seems like a deck that can reach top 32 at big events (with blossom though, probably), fun to boot and I don't see any similar decks in the format. The deck has good matchups against Affinity and Jund, though, but idk about the other T1 decks.
It has top 32'd GPs before. That's meaningless though.
>>
>>49315479
>Jund
>Hate

Wtf is a hate card for Jund? Pathing a tarmogoyf isn't hate, its stopping the bleeding. Are you talking about RIP? Turning off all of your own Lingering souls just so you can still get buttfucked by Dark Confidant seems like a great idea.
>>
>>49315250
I'm not typing a whole novel for your retarded ass so in short:
- too little early game interaction against zoo/merfolk/infect/elves/etc.
-too slow a clock against combo
-spectral requires www on T3, you will have to fetch>shock way more often than you're comfortable with that added with TS and BB means you will hurt yourself a lot for a 2 color deck.
>>
>>49315566
>The deck has good matchups against Affinity and Jund, though, but idk about the other T1 decks.
Idk why this is greentexted.
>>
>>49315571
Those are 2 separate points of mine. It has a positive MU against jund AND it has access to hate against other decks.
>>
>>49315617
Why are you asking if you're already convinced it's good and we're wrong?
>>
>>49315571
>Wtf is a hate card for Jund?
>>
>Hey lets reprint cards that desperately need a reprint!
>Except lets make them rarer than mythic rares to not affect their prices at all!
>>
>>49315571
>Wtf is a hate card for Jund?
Urza's Tower, Power Plant and Mine, t2 Blood Moon off Mox Opal or Springleaf Drum.
>>
>>49315707
>Hey lets reprint cards that desperately need a reprint!
It's more like
>hey let's make the legacy and edh beards pay for new players' decks for the shittiest constructed format
>>
>>49315718
Once again proving that Modern is a format of matchups and silver bullets.
>>
>>49315566
But, quoting the post above:

>>49315405

The decks that seem to buttfuck BW are Tron, Breach and Dredge. But does Jund/Abzan has a better MU against them? Jund has Crumble vs. Tron, and both have Decay vs. Amulet, but besides that, the matchups seem bad for Jund/Abzan and BW alike.

Against Burn, you are a white deck. Against Jund/Abzan, Lili will be a non-issue, they can't block you, their removal is not efficient while yours is. Against Dredge, if RIP/Relic ain't enough, nothing would be. Tron and Breach are fucked up but that's the price to pay, can't win them all.

And yea, I might be wrong, but discussing and learning is good.
>>
>>49315744
Legacy is even worse you uninformed meme spouter.
>>
>>49315744
Can't say no to 60-70% winrate and free boosters though.
>>
>>49315776
Legacy is a far better format, but you can keep playing memerange the format if you want.
>>
>>49315672
The number of times Ive lost with a 1 turn clock against this motherfucker coming off the top.

You always know when it happens, because they look all sad that they're gonna lose next turn, they draw, pause, and just smile. Motherfucker.
>>
>>49315883
Saying modern is all midrange is like saying legacy is all combo. Both are retarded.
>>
>>49315756
>both have Decay vs. Amulet
Stop looking at year old sources. Amulet hasn't been a deck for a while now.
>>
>>49315994
The difference is that Modern's best deck IS midrange, while Legacy's best deck is control. Being a Modern player you wouldn't recognise control.
>>
>>49315883
The hate is even stronger and you get locked out of games much more often.
This is fact
>>
>>49316036
>opinion
>this is fact
Sure
>>
>>49316059
How the fuck is that an opinion you retard?
Kys
>>
>>49316059
>it's my opinion that chalice locked me out of the game

Wew.
>>
>>49316141
>chalice locks you out of a game
Sure, if you're retarded.
>>
>>49316171
This happens all the time with storm, are you saying storm players are retarded?
>>
>>49316024
Being a legacy player you wouldn't recognize linear aggro without maindeck combo hate. Or non blue decks in general. See how retarded those statements are? Both formats have viable and non viable strategies, Its retarded to argue which is better. You might have a preference, that doesn't make the other format worse.
>>
>>49316240
Nope, legacy players are so far up their own ass. It's weird that they hang out here when they don't even like modern
>>
>>49315416
>this
>>
>>49316238
I play storm and chalice isn't a complete blowout of a game - sure you might lose G1 if the deck is running G1 chalices, and even then, if your meta is full of that, you can mainboard answers, and the sideboard is full of bullets chalice doesn't catch.
>>
>>49316238
They shelled out for a modern storm deck so you tell me
>>
>>49316240
>Viable in Legacy
Aggro
Midrange
Combo
Control
Tempo

>Viable in Modern
Aggro
Midrange
Combo
>>
>>49316255
I check in here every now and then to see if the general and the format has gotten any better.

They always get worse.
>>
> Arguing over Modern and Legacy
> Not playing Vintage like real men

Wew
>>
>>49316260
All of the storm players in my LGS has a negative winrate vs Eldrazi stompy. And these guys play exclusively storm for years.
>if your meta is full of that, you can mainboard answers
I just don't think you can afford to mainboard card like that without risking losing to inconsistency. There's only a handful of Chalice decks in the room at a given time, but for some reason Storm players are always paired up against them.
>>
>>49316302
Vintage is good fun, but Legacy is a far more diverse format.

This is forgetting the true Patrician format, 93/94

>>49316312
Stompy hurts man. Like every deck, there are the awful matchups. But it isn't a total blowout no chance matchup.
>>
>>49316263
Tempo is viable, fuck boy.

Draw, go control is a shit archetype for turbo autists.
>>
>>49316341
> But it isn't a total blowout no chance matchup.
Oh no i'm not saying it's unwinnable. I manage to maintain a 50% winrate against eldrazi. Sometime they mulligan and only have chalice as the only relevant card. Those are winnable. It's only when they follow it up with TKS or Reality Smasher is the game effectively over.
>>
>>49316379
>50% winrate
With legacy storm? Which build you running dude? Where can I get some of that?
>>
>>49316391
The secret is a lot of luck and two Echoing Truths and Hurkyll's Recall. Also, the 2 DP ANT build has the best chance against chalice without going into TES.
>>
>>49314589
You can't really build a good modern budget deck anymore since every deck has atleast one pretty expensive card in them and is significantly worse if you cut it.
>>
>>49314958
>The manabase is a bit odd though since few decks use it
Every manabase is basically the same. Get your 4xfetches (Marsh Flats) and 4xshocks (Godless Shrine). If Marsh Flats are too steep, just fill the gaps with applicable KTK fetches (4/5 of them can grab Godless Shrine).
Tokens can probably use Mutavault to some effect since they need something to survive boardwipes when your shit gets blown up (I don't know, I haven't looked at a modern token list in ages). Skip this if your budget is really tight, but man-lands fit in a lot of places and are worth the investment. Heck, Shambling Vent is probably fine as a 1 or 2-of.

Ignore people bitching at you about tiers. Yes, you're going up against a meta of Infect/CoCo/Jund/Affinity that will out-board you, Grixis/Jeskai which will out-tempo you, and RG-Tron which will give you bad feels with Pyroclasm. But just build it, play, have fun and ASK YOUR OPPONENT FOR SUGGESTIONS. If they're not assholes, they'll give you good advice.

And try to find the money for some Bitterblossoms.
>>
>>49316461
>a lot of luck
Ain't that the truth.
>>
>>49316341
Vintage is a super diverse format run at LGS-level (especially with peasants running 10 proxies as it is at mine)

Fucking love 93/94 desu
> The Deck.cuneiformtablet all day everyday
>>
>>49316577
I only have one person to play those formats with, and I play them online so finding more might be difficult, and getting the actual cards impossible
>>
File: combustible-gearhulk.png (147KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
combustible-gearhulk.png
147KB, 223x311px
So is it time to stockpile Congregation at Sunrise?
>>
>>49316704
The card is utter shit. And Congregation at Dawn is just as bad.
>>
>>49316704
5+drops need enablers in modern, and it had better damn-well win you the game on the spot.
So, no.
>>
>>49316704
Nigga, just play Prime Time and Valakut.
>>
I want to get back into modern bc I like playing magic
I was just going to play Ad Nauseum because I think the deck is really fun. I've got a lot of pieces of infect left, namely Spellskites, Hierarch, and Nexuses, and stuff from back when Naya Zoo was Viable, like Knights and shit (no goyfs or fetches/duals tho)
basically hmu if you're looking to trade some fastlands and other pieces of the deck for stuff like Hierarch, Spellskite, Nexus, might have some other stuff laying around too
Just don't want to pay 280$ to finish the deck and I have this stuff sitting around
>>
I just bought a playset of Argothian Enchantress then I realized it's not Modern legal though this does not really affect me because I only play casual with friends.
>>
File: 1431928738851.gif (2MB, 400x286px) Image search: [Google]
1431928738851.gif
2MB, 400x286px
So I have to spend 150 dollars on a single tarmogoyf/600 on a playset or something?
>>
>>49318047
You could get a set for about $440-$480.
>>
>>49318249
Still what the fuck

Why is this a thing

Is there anyone who can justify dropping 450 dollars on 4 pieces of cardboard? I could buy a shitload of cardboard for that price.
>>
>>49318314
how long have you been playing magic dude? there are cards that costed a thousand dollars a decade ago.
>>
>>49318314
come play legacy
Useas are up to like 400 a piece now
>>
>>49318314
>Is there anyone who can justify dropping 450 dollars on 4 pieces of cardboard?

Yeah.
There are people that can justify spending $2500 on one piece of cardboard. The justification is often "I can afford it and I want it."
>>
>>49318314
I can. I can afford it and I want it
>>
File: 96[1].jpg (54KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
96[1].jpg
54KB, 312x445px
>>49314631
>>49314757
>>49314779
Don't listen to these shitters, you're not trying to win a GP >>49314589, just be able to give people a run for thier money at FNM.

For FNM Budget BW Tokens will be fine. In fact BB can be an outright awful card in some matchups (Zoo, Burn, Infect)

Just run Raise the Alarm instead, and a few more token producing cards of your choice alongside 2 more anthems, you'll be fine.

Duress is also pretty solid, 4 Duress 2 IoQ will do just fine, you're already great against creature decks as it is.

Pic related, a card that is much much better in the match-ups you struggle against.
>>
>>49318939
>a flying blocker every turn is bad against infect
please elaborate
>>
>>49318957
Taping out turn 2 against infect is just asking for trouble. You'd be better off watching and waiting to see what the do, Path in hand, with the option to raise the alarm block on the ground

Do you even play the deck?
>>
>>49318986
Just because it costs 2 doesn't mean you have to play it turn 2.
>>
>>49313190
I'm obsessed with sultai colors and I think a mid-range control package with him would be neat.
>>
>>49319009
That's exactly my point, so against Infect you'd need to play it turn 3 at the least to be safe, but at that point it only affects the board state turn 4, at which point you've already lost.

Bitterblossom is NOT good against infect. It's good against other fair decks and midrange decks, which is what we were already good against.
>>
does this make it into RUG Delver?
Pros
> pumps past 2/X's
> mandrils love the PT boost
> hexproof protects from removal.

Its basically a cheaper simic charm with the two best modes.
only downside:
> can't be pitched with shoal
> no threat = no good
>>
>>49319468
I really can't tell. Sometimes the bounce is what you need, whether it is the least used mode or not.

Plus the shoal aspect is very important. Two hits so much.
Goyf, Bob,snap, leak, Terminate, Melina, anafenza, blighted agent, temur battle rage, ravager, I could go on.

It's the reason I run 3 charms. It's so versatile even outside it's own modes.

Also that art is bad
>>
>>49319683
AshtonKutcher said he'd be testing a list that uses this over charm. He also said that list would run MSS and no Shoal. Curious to see what he comes up with!
>>
I'm bored and feel like building Affinity, does Hangarback Walker go well into affinity or am I better off looking elsewhere? Money isn't an issue either way but I don't want to build for legacy
>>
>>49319817
Probably come up with the same thing he does each time he goes that route. He doesn't like it.
He hates playing linear decks. Recently he attempted to slow down suicide zoo by adding counterspells and the like. Needless to say it was bad.

I'm interested too but my hopes aren't high
>>
So what's a decent enough deck to play that will help me become a better player in general? It doesn't have to be T1, but being able to take home 1st at a decently competitive FNM would be nice.

I was thinking B/W tokens since a decent build of it will run less than any goyf deck out there. Affinity looks neat with all the different sequencing you can do, but it looks so good that I could play it on autopilot and not actually learn anything. Any advice or suggestions that don't involve the word Jund?
>>
>>49320064
HBW is suboptimal. you're playing a midrange card in an aggro deck, man. just jam another champ or ensoul memefact or something.
>>
>>49320175

>It doesn't have to be T1, but being able to take home 1st at a decently competitive FNM would be nice.

Tiers are usage based. Tier 2 decks can be more powerful than tier 1 decks in certain metas. Tiers help you know what is popular and subsequently what sort of hate to have on average but a given LGS may not simply netdeck tier 1 while remaining competitive.

If you want to win at a FNM, go and learn what people are playing.
>>
>>49320175
>So what's a decent enough deck to play that will help me become a better player in general?
naya burn is the shoto-fighter of this format. grixis midrange if you want to play not!jund. affinity if you like roebitz.
>>
>>49314006
>>49313927

I don't want good, I want non-terrible. It doesn't need to be competitive, only win a game with a bunch of werewolves every once in awhile.
>>
>>49316238
>What is Abrupt Decay
>>
>>49320445

Then literally just slap your favorite werewolves in a deck and play casual on xmage.

One of the best wolves is Huntmaster and you don't pull him off of collected company. Hermit of the Natterknolls is something? That one 4 power wolf for 2 is okay as well.

Run bolts. Don't play Immerwolf. Run Arlinn Kord just because. Play birds most likely because you aren't gonna have many one drop dudes and you wanna ramp up to 3-4.

There, the deck basically built itself and you can now play werewolves for free online with no guilty conscience.
>>
>>49318986
>Taping out turn 2 against infect is just asking for trouble.

Oh yeah they're totally gonna blow you out with that Noble they played. Against anything other than a T1 Glistener theres literally no reason not to jam Bitterblossom and just lock & clock them.

>Path in hand, with the option to raise the alarm block on the ground

What the fuck do you need to block with a Path in hand? Even if the Infect player YOLOs and dumps his hand on T2, he would have to be completely retarded to do so before blocks.

He either loses because he YOLOed and ate a Path, or he loses anyways because you slammed a BB and held a Path for Blighted Agent.

>>49319101
>Bitterblossom is NOT good against infect.
>Infinite blockers for Inkmoth and Glistener in exchange for irrelevant life isn't good

This is going way beyond the /tg/ is bad at magic meme.
>>
>>49320064
People tried Walker for a while, but it's just not better than anything the deck has already been playing for ages.

You might as well treat it as a 2 drop because it's rarely going to be a 4. It's noticeably lacking compared to your other 2 drops. Plating or Ravager can win you the game the turn they're played, and getting to tap an Overseer can put you frighteningly far ahead. Compare Walker, who takes either an Overseer or Ravager to truly become a threat, isn't able to contribute any damage while it's growing, and can't easily be sacrificed without Ravager (who you probably already sacrificed to grow it).

It just goes against the deck's objectives in too many ways.
>>
>>49320565
If you have Geier Reach Bandit out and transformed, then use Eldrazi Displacer to flicker Huntmaster you can get some pretty good value out of it. Although you
might need Eldrazi Temple to make it work, and that's a four piece play, 5 if you use Immerwolf so you can repeat everything the next turn without your dudes transforming. Maybe too complicated.
>>
>>49320175
Check out some sort of chord variant. Very fun to play, requires knowledge of your own deck and the format. Lots of play to it, very interactive
>>
Is UR storm remotely competitive these days? I'm playing in a small town small game store. Meta unknown to me.

I played combo in vintage and legacy a lot back in the day, but it's been a while. Seems to be the cheapest I can go if I don't run 4 UR fetches and don't sideboard blood moons. I can afford other fetches and 4 steam vents to compensate. Might get blood moon if absolutely necessary.
>>
>>49320064
Hangerback Walker is fun in jund
>>
>>49320822
Banning Seething Song fucked it hard, and it wasn't amazing beforehand anyway
>>
>>49320845
how many common (top tier) decks have turn 4-5 kill against someone trying to combo?

is it all of them?
>>
>>49320761
Displacer is generally trumped by Restoration Angel, especially when you consider shocklands can't make anus mana, and fetches can't grab anything that can. I'm sure there's a displacer deck full of painlands that's just waiting to be put together, but for now it's way too durdly of a card.
>>
>>49318939
I played b/w tokens for about 2 months and I used this instead of BB half the time, Raise makes your deck more aggresive so its great against burn and zoo which are some bad matchups anyways

Your 100% Fine without BB. I would reccomend grabbing thoughtsiezes tho as they do make the deck run so much smoother, sometimes u dont have an answer for their goyf and thoughtsieze needs to be that. Otherwise just run Windswept heaths and u can even get away with like Bloodstained mires or flooded strands for ur fetches, they are much cheaper for budget if u dont wanna run marsh flats
>>
>>49320175
Run a 4 of Lupine Prototype DO IT YOU PUSSY
>>
>>49320972
meant for>>49320064
>>
>>49320861
Nah, if you want combo just go to ad nauseam, its almost a tier 1 deck
>>
>>49320972
>4 lupine prototype
>lots of vehicles
witness me
>>
>>49321016
I was looking at that deck, but it's a bit expensive for me since I'm sort of starting from scratch. I'd rather blow my load on a manabase I could use for other decks as well.

What are the budget decks in modern besides burn anyways? Infect seems cheap if it weren't for the noble heirarchs, and merfolk seems reasonable if it werent for the vials (can't fucking believe the price on those. I remember when they were a few bucks).

I'm not set on playing combo since I know it'll be different from the vintage ones I used to play.
>>
>>49321116
budget meaning ~$400 or under including manabase.
>>
>>49321116
Ad nauseam is the only tiered deck in that budget. You could maybe build dredge if you have some of the pieces, but it has a fetch shock mana base and a lot of the cards have gone up. Soul Sisters and Bogles can do well in some metas, bogles is easily under four hundred if you replace horizon canopies with brushlands. Other than that you're looking at untiered shit shows like Skred and Eldrazi Tron.
>>
Gentlemen. Will Aetherflux reservoir give rise to a new "Storm" deck?
>>
>>49321241
It doesn't work in legacy so I doubt it'll work in modern
>>
>>49321275
I'm hoping since Modern is slower that maybe it can be used as a reverse Tendrils where it is casted first and then the person tries to go off. Maybe my hopes are just too high. This is my favorite card that they have spoiled in years, and I just hope that there is some way to build around it competitively.
>>
Thoughts on this list? It looks worse, but this guy managed to do pretty well.

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/modern-b-g-infect#online
>>
File: 1468603763717.jpg (1MB, 3000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
1468603763717.jpg
1MB, 3000x2000px
>>49313159
>have 4 dark confidant
>no goyf

Is Jund out of my reach unless I shill out for him/get chinaman fakes or can I make it work without him?
>>
>>49321531

no goy(f)s no jund
>>
>>49321531
You say that like you're so close.
Bob isn't even expensive
>>
>>49321749
>>49321750
Chinaman it is.
>>
>>49314201
Feeding goyf while drawing gas instead of 3 lands is virtual CA.
>>
>>49313159
As someone that's always been interested in playing, but never bought a pack ever, is there a catalog that has all available cards I can peruse by searching for types and such?

>give me all dragons
>refine with all red dragons

>give me all cards that reference clones
>things that copy/clone/recreate
>>
>>49322261
gatherer
>>
>>49322314
gatherer? What should I google?
>>
>>49322371
mtg gatherer
>>
>>49320956

>filling 2 colour deck with fetches.
>the deck doesn't even profit from fetchlands grim lavamancer style.

Dumb deckbuilding general.
>>
>>49322261
Get the Magic game on Steam, XBox, or Playstation and give it a try.

Please understand that this game involves a lot of learning. And you're better off paying like $10 for those games to be used as training tutorials than wasting hundreds of dollars on useless cards only to have experienced players teach you wrong or kick your ass.
>>
>>49322421
>what is thinning
>>
>>49322434
I don't intend to play competitively. Just have a themed deck I can be a lgs meme villian with.
>>
>>49322450
Then this is not the thread for you. This is focused on competitive play.
>>
>>49322450
I don't see how not knowing what you're doing with garbage cards is particularly rewarding for you, especially when everyone is quickly going to look at you more as an idiot than a villain. It's like stepping into a hockey club not knowing how to skate and demonstrating no desire to learn how to skate.

The only villains in this game are good players. They're deserving of that title in communities because they "are the guys to beat" not because they're assholes or nice people.
>>
>>49322490
>>49322464
I'm not implying I'll stomp people. Just to have a fun deck with cards that have effects I like.
>>
What am I doing with my life?
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/bant-company-20-2/
>>
Does anyone have a good recommendation for a modern mill deck? I am running the budget deck tech that was on mtggoldfish a few weeks ago.

It does OK, but I get screwed by leyline of sanctity or other hexproof stuff.
>>
When a creature transforms, do you have to pay to re-equip something it was already equipped with?
>>
>>49322442
Dismissable.
>>
>>49322878
No, transforming doesn't make the card a new object so all auras and equipment stay on.
>>49322775
The thread is for competitive play.
>>
File: 168-600x600.jpg (170KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
168-600x600.jpg
170KB, 600x600px
awesome card
>>
>>49322878
From the rulings: "Transforming a permanent doesn't affect any Auras or Equipment attached to that permanent. Similarly, any counters on the permanent will remain on that permanent after it transforms."
>>
>>49320064
Hangarback is a bullet/out to Shatterstorm and BGx in general since it's at least a 2-for-1 99% of the time and basically negates boardwipes with Ravager, sideboard stuff if you know your meta.
>>
>>49321241
>>49321360
A 4-mana card that you need to play before you start Storming, which is vulnerable to removal, and which can't be cast from your graveyard, is simply not a viable option.
>>
File: 1470915469869.png (185KB, 500x644px) Image search: [Google]
1470915469869.png
185KB, 500x644px
Making a mill deck, got 3 illegal cards I need to switch out namely with thoughtsieze and glimpse the unthinkable once i can afford it.

First modern and mill deck, looking for general opinions on the deck

the main objective is the destroy the opponents spirit
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/cranial-flush/#
>>
Someone in the last thread implied that Preordain would be unbanned, is there any basis for this?

Based on Wizards' policy so far, I sincerely doubt this would ever happen.
>>
>>49323422
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/articles/instant-deck-tech-ub-mill-modern
>>
>>49323434
nice thats very similar to an early version of my deck, i went with the mindcrank and mage instant win, I didnt think of this tho
>>
>>49323431
I wish Brainstorm, ponder or preordain would either be unbanned or at least something similar made.
>>
>>49323594
Visions of beyond is equal if not better equivalent in a mill deck at least
>>
>>49319009
with BB it does
>>
>>49323629
Too conditional for the Ancestral effect, and simply cantripping =/= digging.

Mill might be able to exploit it, but that's not saying much
>>
File: consulspower[1].jpg (43KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
consulspower[1].jpg
43KB, 265x370px
Looks like Modern got a new card

W
Enchantment
Creatures your opponents control enter the battlefield tapped.

Whenever a creature enters the battlefield under an opponents control, you gain 1 life.
>>
>>49323819
Against what, exactly?
>>
i hate tron so fucking much. it just shits on every midrange deck
>>
>>49323819
It's interesting but what deck wants it?
>>
>>49323823
affinity/kiki based decks/elves/merfolk/dredge
basically any deck that goes wide
>>
>>49323823
Any kind of aggro creature based matchup.
>>
>>49323871
It's a fairly significant deterrent to tokens.

Also, Concordant Crossroads.
>>
Are there any viable decks that aren't Blue Moon that run Blood Moon maindeck?
>>
>>49323874
Merfolk don't have haste and they don't go that wide. Seems ok against elves and kiki.
>>
>>49323874
Not sure how good it is against Affinity, really. It's only "useful" if you do manage to open with it and you're gaining maybe 5 life with it if you do. The only noticeable thing it would do in the matchup is hinder Drums just a bit.
>>
>>49323819
So now that they have printed a card that shits on splintertwin they can unban it right?
>>
>>49320761

You're never going to see it happen. Are you seriously running displacer and eldrazi temple for one interaction with the only WW with etb effects? In modern, a 2 card combo is usually the best you'll do and a 3 card combo is pushing it.

If you have a FIVE card combo and the best you can do is a 4/4, 2 life and a shock, give up. I can list off any number of <4 card combos that immediately win you the game at less mana cost. You're better off running any other dude than displacer and actually swinging in.
>>
>>49320861

Yes. If you're asking "how many decks can kill me before 5 if I'm not interacting?" the answer is nearly all if not all. Tron might have a hard time killing you before 5 but if it gets slaver lock you're boned. Infect kills on 2/3, dredge can kill on 3, sui zoo kills on 3 fairly consistently, affinity kills on 3 with a good hand, the list goes on. The meta is so aggro heavy that going into a LGS blind with a turn 5 combo deck, you're probably going to lose some number of games to them straight racing your clock.
>>
>>49323819
it's interesting because it hates on a top of things at the same time

>burn
lifegain and their hasty guys now suck
>twin/kiki
no longer goes infinite
>seer/finks combo
gives you half as much life as they give themselves, so they either have to get redcap to finish you off or give themselves a beatable life total
>>
>>49323853
tron is an inconsistent mess without eye of ugin

it still shits on midrange but overall less consistency means less placings means less people play it
>>
>>49322046

Virtual card advantage != Card advantage

If you think that feeding goyf and scrying is card advantage I don't know what to tell you except learn what the fuck card advantage is.
>>
>>49324462

Thanks, that's good info for me. I just hate playing aggro... I didn't realize ad naus could be so cheap
>>
>>49321116
desu in merfolk half of the deck cost is made by the cavern of souls + vials + mutas and the 2 legendary hands.

The rest is pretty cheap
>>
>>49319468
Good for an extra Vines of Vastwood substitute for any stompy players out there.
>>
>>49324641
Vines is like a dollar anyway
>>
>>49324621
I didn't realize ad nauseam was about the same price though. I'd much rather play combo than aggro, esp tribal
>>
>>49324692
protip; play ad nauseam either proxied or on cockatrice for a bit first. The deck is incredibly linear and plays out the same every match, so you have to really enjoy it to not get bored of it
>>
>>49324714
Yeah I was watching some videos. It's okay, I've played combo like that before.

I really just wanna get up and running in the weekly modern tourneys at my local store asap without breaking the bank.
>>
>>49324737
I'd ask whether they're ok with you playing proxied for a bit

Also don't knock merfolk too early, it used to be my main deck and it's a lot more fun and in-depth than people give it credit for
>>
File: mtg contraband kingpin.jpg (40KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
mtg contraband kingpin.jpg
40KB, 265x370px
worth it in eggs?
i feel like this would be really worth it, even though i can't naturally make black mana
>>
File: 1473030868679.jpg (66KB, 528x792px) Image search: [Google]
1473030868679.jpg
66KB, 528x792px
>>49323422
this is cool
>>
File: dovinbaan.jpg (52KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
dovinbaan.jpg
52KB, 265x370px
NEW SHIT
>>
>>49324966
Crap
>>
File: bomatcourier.jpg (50KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
bomatcourier.jpg
50KB, 265x370px
>>49324966
>>
>>49324975
If RiP is out does this put the discarded cards back into your hand?
Other than that this doesn't seem playable. Haste is nice, but very rarely can you put a plating on a creature turn 1
>>
File: 407517.full.png (104KB, 200x279px) Image search: [Google]
407517.full.png
104KB, 200x279px
can someone explain this card? what's the mana cost? 5 colorless?

why did they introduce that square thing. You need a specifically colorless mana to play it rather than any color?
>>
>>49324238

no twinniger, your deck is dead and gone.
>>
>>49324975
Also pretty bad. This guy might actually be playable in dredge as a 2 of though
>>
>>49325028
I think you might be an idiot, friend. But that's okay.

The card costs 4 generic and one colorless mana. Exactly like the mana cost says.
>>
>>49325028
Yeah, pretty much. They added it so they could make colorless cards that didn't get used in decks of every color. For whatever reason, given that's what colorless cards are supposed to do and be balanced around.
>>
>>49325040
I don't think so. Maybe if surgical extraction was the meta graveyard hate spell.
>>
>>49325016
no because the discarded cards are exiled by RIP
>>
>>49325040
Nah, it's no better than Haunted Dead really. Exiling another creature from your graveyard is actually legitimately a cost in Dredge, outside of hitting Neonate or Narcos. Comparatively, discarding two cards often actually plays into your strategy and is beneficial.
>>
>>49325048
>I think you might be an idiot, friend. But that's okay.

Fuck off asshole, I haven't played since 2010.
>>
>>49321959
Chinaman goyfs look like shit. I have some and they're so obvious
>>
>>49323033
Read the fucking op you kitchen table mong
>>
>>49324966
not bad, might be playable or at the worst a budget choice for some decks.
>>
>>49323594
Brainstorm isn't banned. It was never printed in a modern legal set.
>>
>>49314589
Late, but check out this build. http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/swarm-and-conquer-v-20/
Token players typically follow this list. Read the primer, lots of advice for common matchups. BB is a must for the beat version of the deck, but you can play a competitive version without them.
>>
>>49324775
Probably not, the effect is not strong enough for going outside of our colors.
>>
>>49323819
this seems really overpowered actually
>>
>>49313190
I play 4 in Jund, he is doing well so far
>>
>>49320565
>don't play the only werewolf lord in existence in werewolves.dek

What did he mean by this?
>>
File: 193b[1].jpg (64KB, 312x445px) Image search: [Google]
193b[1].jpg
64KB, 312x445px
>>49326060
Immer is pretty bad with Huntmaster.

Also
>only werewolf lord
>>
>>49326027
What did you cut to fit 4 of them? Do you still run Dark Confidant?
>>
>>49326088
That's pretty good, I'm surprised I've never run into it against people who play Werewolf decks at my LGS.

>only $4

They must be poorfags.
>>
>>49324475
Kiki still goes infinite if its with anything that has more than 1 power
>>
>>49325040
nah Dredge has far better stuff
>>
>>49326712
Not with restoration angel. Kiki enters tapped.
>>
>>49326725
Ahh well yea thats true

guess the card is more powerful than I thought. Might need to pick up a playset or two asap
>>
>>49326725
Not just Kiki, but every copy he makes. You can't even use him to make value copies to attack with.
>>
>>49325731
any counterfeit goyfs that don't?
>>
>>49323819
This card will never improve Modern because at best it's a silver bullet. Modern has a serious problem with silver bullets. It also won't see any play. You're effectively wasting a draw by drawing this, so you can waste a turn of your opponent's. You wasted a turn to waste one of your opponent's turns with this card, and if you don't draw it, you lose the same anyway. This card achieves absolutely NOTHING unless they're comboing off with Deceiver Exarch.
>>
>>49329818
calm down man
>>
>>49324487
The guy who draws gas every turn as opposed to his opponent's mix of lands, business and do nothings in a given situation is ahead on (the quality of) cards.
>>
>>49330709
Pretty much this, although Bob is generally a bit more powerful over the course of 2-3 turns in terms of advantage. You really want a mix of both though, assuming 2/3 cards are relevant at any given time 1 Flayer and 1 Bob will draw two cards of gas per turn on average while losing only a little bit of life and having a beefy trample dude, whereas 2 flayers would only give you half the card advantage and two bobs would cost you a lot of life without any extra gas and minimal valuable board state.
>>
>>49330709
Yea but the point is that isn't card advantage
>>
File: dank.jpg (58KB, 500x683px) Image search: [Google]
dank.jpg
58KB, 500x683px
>>
>>49331811

thank god someone understands this
>>
>>49331811
A guy with 6 cards that actually do things doesn't have card advantage over the guy with 6 cards that read "Do nothing"?
>>
Just dusted off the old Legacy Merfolk list with $50 of new cards for my very first game of Modern this weekend.

Any Merfolk players in the thread that can comment on this list? Is there anything glaring I'm missing or something I've overlooked? I'd appreciate it.

Creatures:
4x Cursecatcher
4x Silvergill Adept
4x Lord of Atlantis
4x Master of the Pearl Trident
3x Harbinger of the Tides
2x Merrow Reejerey
1x Kira, Great Glass-Spinner
4x Master of Waves

Non-creature Spells:
4x Aether Vial
4x Sea's Claim
4x Spreading Seas
1x Vapor Snag
1x Dismember

Lands:
4x Mutavault
1x Oboro, Palace in the Clouds
1x Minamo, School at Water's Edge
14x Island

Sideboard:
4x Chalice of the Void
3x Relic of Progenitus
2x Vapor Snag
2x Echoing Truth
1x Dismember
1x Dispel
1x Negate
1x Kira, Great Glass-Spinner
>>
>>49332049
Precisely. Call me what you want, but that isn't defined as card advantage. Card advantage is a specific term, not just whatever you want it to be.
>>
File: splinter twin.jpg (6KB, 339x148px) Image search: [Google]
splinter twin.jpg
6KB, 339x148px
>>49313159
Unban when
>>
>>49332210
Hopefully never
>>
>>49332210
With how butthurt everyone here seems, probably never.

But these fucks didn't know how to play against twin in the first place, so...
>>
>>49333446
You're the only one who sounds ass pained
>>
>>49332210
Unbanning it now would mean they admit they had made a mistake, and Wizards is just not going to do that.
>>
>>49332210
Never
It was banned to shake up Pro Tours because it was topping events and they didn't want to have a ton of Twin Mirrors in finals because it would be super boring
Become a PT format was the worst thing to happen to Modern
>>
>>49333530
Meh, delver is more fun to play with and against. Nobody would continue playing delver is twin returned
>>
>>49332116
Deck is fine. I'm not a fan of Sea's Claim but they (in combination with Spreading Seas) just shit on so many deck currently that they're probably fine. I generally prefer more interaction It's hard to comment further without knowledge of your meta.
>>
>>49332297
Affraid of how your tierr 99 would lose against twin?
>>49333569
Delver needs more cantrips, without that it will never be good enough, even if people still meme it
>>
>>49333567
>ton of Twin Mirrors in finals because it would be super boring
So you admit it was overpowered and would lead to t op 8 being twin mirrors
>>
>>49333654
>Delver needs more cantrips
You've no idea what you're talking about. It doesn't need more cantrips. Twintards pls go
>>
>>49333659
How could twin won before turn 4?
Oh yes it couldn't
It was totally fair
>>
>>49333671
Have you ver played canadian treshold baby? do you even know what real delver is?
>>
>>49333673
>It was totally fair
It's was more due to the fact that from turn 4 onwards you have to respect the combo or just risk losing to it. It forces you to leave one or two mana up every turn which was very punishing as it stunts board development while twin was free to do whatever they wanted. As an Affinity player, the twin matchup was fun, its a damn shame the deck is gone.
>>
>>49333673
Don't make things up when arguing. It makes you look stupid
I never said this
You said it was banned too avoid inevitable mirrors at the final tables
>>
>>49333719
You clearly haven't.
It's better because of Wasteland, mongoose, stifle, force and brainstorm. At least say it needs a better cantrip not more.

Yes, I've played threshold. For a long time. Now kindly fuck off
>>
File: 84.jpg (18KB, 272x295px) Image search: [Google]
84.jpg
18KB, 272x295px
>>49332210
>All those tears from every Twin player the night of the banning
>Several store owners I know had full foil Twin decks
>Half of the meta at one store was Twin, half of the store was missing in the following FNM week
>>
>>49333739
Lmao fucking rekt
>>
>>49333673
Ad Nauseam and Infect can win on turns 2-3, more 3 for AN
It's not that it was winning early, it's that it was consistently winning. It sucked to play against, because if you didn't make them spend mana on turn 3 they could just flash in a creature and win the next turn and you'd be fucked. Any red and blue deck just ran the combo because it was that good
Fuck twin
>>
>>49333739
>Impliying that ponder and preordain are not needed to boost the consistency to 99%
>Impliyin brainstorm is not the best cantrip made ever
>Impliying you can't set up perfect delver from t1 with that
>Impliying meme visions can do something like that
Plz boy, go meme delver
>>
>>49333794
>eot3 i flash deciver exarch
>In response i tap this plain for w, and after it resolves i path your exarch
Woah boy, that was super hard, a pro play that nobody would have ever done
>>
>>49334021
>Not exiling Exarch after they attempt to equip Splinter Twin
>>
File: 636093570211275467.jpg (54KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
636093570211275467.jpg
54KB, 265x370px
Fellow Affinity bros, what are your thoughts on Scrounger? Seems like it might be good in grindy matchups. The body isn't particularly impressive but it could be used to fuel ravager multiple times.
>>
>>49334021
If you only had 1 land up they can tap it with exarch when it resolves, that's why
>>
>>49334072
meant for
>>49334042
>>
>>49334021
The game goes on, only this time they have an extra land and you still have to respect the combo. Twin players aren't going to expose their exarch to a path unless they have multiples or under immense pressure.
>>
>>49334072
Ahh yea, forgot that they did that shit
>>
>>49333988
I didn't imply any of this. I even stated that brainstorm is better. I guess expecting basic reading comprehension from you is too much at this point though
>>
>>49332210
Fuck off twinniggers
>>
>>49334060
Now when you look at a card like this you have to ask yourself what it replaces.
I don't think it's better than anything affinity currently runa
>>
>>49333601
I'm going in blind as well, so.

It seems like so many decks are dependent on land utility or color fixing so 8sea looked good, plus it almost guarantees you're pushing in unblockable damage.

I could cut the Claims for 4x Harbinger 4x Reejerey and maybe another main deck removal spell, which would definitely up interactivity.

Any comment on the sideboard? Like I said, I really don't know what I'm doing.
>>
>>49334072
>I float one white mana

Gee this deck is literally unbeatable!
>>
>>49333794
>you had to interact with another deck

I DONT WANT THAT IN MY MODERN
>>
>>49334244
>I'm going in blind as well, so.
Going from the meta at my LGS, you should expect Affinity, Jund, Infect, Burn, and Tron at the very least. You might also see some Valakut decks, and some Company decks as well.

>Any comment on the sideboard? Like I said, I really don't know what I'm doing.
If you're going in blind you should configure your sideboard for a more general meta. 4 chalice is a lot. Now if your meta is 50% Burn/Infect, I might not be saying that. 3 relics is also a lot, at least for a blind meta, so consider diversifying your grave hate by switching a relic for a Grafdigger's cage which is really good against Company decks. Also, you should probably run some number of Hurkyl's Recall for Affinity. And consider adding in some number Tidebinder Mage as it does a lot of work in some matchups, but it's not necessary by any means.

As for the sea's claim, you might at well keep them in and see how it works out for you.
>>
I pulled bant tamiyo but never really put her in anything. Is she decent and what uses her?
>>
>>49334600
No. Go away
>>
>>49333673
Twin couldn't win on turn 4, that is true. But when you drop deceiver exarch on your opponents turn 3 with twin in hand it was honestly like losing that turn.

The other reason twin was such an offender for the format was how simple it was to run as a wincon. Playing UR? Why not play 7 cards (4 exarchs 3 twins) and occasionally get a turn 3.5 win (see above). It forced out other archetypes because of its two card simplicity

I agree the deck was a necessary evil to keep the format in check and wizards shouldn't have banned it so preemptively (especially right before eldrazi winter) but having played against end step exarch with my opponent revealing twin from their hand many a time I can see why wizards wanted it gone
>>
So do sixty cards need to be in your main deck or can it be a 45/15 split between your deck and your sideboard? Haven't played magic in a while and modern seems to be right up my alley.
>>
I just played a lot of games of RUG Thresh. I don't think the deck is too hot right now. Goyf is actually hard to cast sometimes because it's 2 mana and decks have enough tools now that the Thresh's lack of reach means it runs out of gas fairly quickly. It is a worse wasteland deck than other wasteland decks.

I feel that Grixis Delver is better. Deathrite adds a lot of reach and Angler often costs only 1 mana. You essentially lose out on Stifle but I find that people are smart enough to play around Stifle so if you hold it up T1 instead of dropping a threat you just essentially Time Walked yourself if they don't fetch.
>>
>>49334718
>>>/standard/
>>
>>49334720
Sounds like a case of bad pilot. Also this is the modern thread
>>
>>49334720
You know DRS can be cast with green and some lists are running it?
>>
File: blur cat.jpg (118KB, 410x410px) Image search: [Google]
blur cat.jpg
118KB, 410x410px
Can someone explain the way blocks work to me, a retard?

I've only ever played on xmage with SoI stuff
>>
>>49334800
>>49334718
>>49334600
What's with the influx of retards?
>>
>>49334060
No evasion. No ability to spread power.
Every creature in Affinity has one of those two elements, which are crucial to the operation of the deck, with the exception of Memnites who are basically Ornithopters 5-7. It's the same reason Lupine Prototype doesn't see play. It would require something very useful to make an exception.
>>
>>49334835
In other words, the usual thread?
>>
>>49334720
Shame. Canadian was such a fun deck to play. Grixis Delver really isn't the same.
>>
>>49334718
deck size is 60 sideboard is 15, dont expect to win alot unless you can drop a grand at least on a deck
>>
>>49334060
You're a very bad Affinity player if you are considering this card JUST because it's an Artifact.

It's a Dredge card and nothing more.
>>
Yo /tg/. It's been a while since I've played modern and was looking to play a deck with reasonable chances of winning. I picked up valakut because it's pretty cheap on moto. Lili wrecks me though and I was wondering what would work well against her. I'm playing the 4 color version because I like cryptic too much not to play it. One other question, can the domain card that costs 5 cast chalice or will it always be a 00 for the xx if cast for "free" from that card?
>>
>>49335237
I wouldn't play it over Haunted Dead, personally.
>>
File: file.png (186KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
file.png
186KB, 265x370px
HIM
BIG
>>
>>49335397
He's kinda shit.

I would say I'd use him in EDH but really, if I'm playing artifacts I'll just ramp to blightsteel
>>
>>49335397
>Artifact Colossus
>no Trample
>>
>>49335457
Too much blightsteel can be a thing.

It's why I usually don't put craterhoof in my decks anymore.
>>
>>49335482
My group is cutthroat and fuck their infinite life
>>
File: UG tempo.png (13KB, 327x556px) Image search: [Google]
UG tempo.png
13KB, 327x556px
>>49313786
Outdated but I had a lot of fun with this back when I first made it. Werewolves work best in a tempo shell where you pass the turn keeping mana up for counterspells or removal.
>>
>>49335595
This looks like an awful monkey grow
>>
>>49334549
Thanks for the advice man.
>>
>>49335733
Kek tarfire
>>
>>49313159
Okay, so I wanna play Blue Moon, I have the shit, I just need to know, what do I do to improve my Memeheri matchup?
>>
Is RUG Monkey Grow gonna be tiered anytime soon?
>>
>>49333569
Delver is straight up garbage and you know it.
>>
Should I go back to playing infect or trade the money pieces for Ad Nauseam? I've heard that it's better overall but it doesn't seem to be really popular anymore
>>
>>49335733
The deck predates KTK, probably Theros too actually.

Monkey Grow seems to focus a lot more on filling the graveyard (Gitaxian Proble, Thought Scour) to get a Mandrills payoff. The two colors allow my deck to be a little more consistent (as well as allowing for mutavaults to do some pretty serious work). I think the two decks are trying to do something completely different.

Also worth noting that Mayor pumps both sides of Delver.
>>
Im thinking about getting back into magic after about 7 or 8 years, are there any fun or gimmicky budget decks than can be played at FNM with an average chance of winning?
>>
>>49315571
turn one, leyline of sanctity, turn 2 rest in peace.
>>
>>49337200
Mono Green Stompy.
It isn't gimmicky at all, but skilled pilots can take first consistently if they know their meta and play to its weaknesses.
>>
>>49324475
>so they either have to get redcap to finish you off or give themselves a beatable life total

Re-read Viscera Seer fampai.
>>
>>49333569
Delver only existed because of Twin, the deck is dumpster tier now.
>>
>>49337200
I don't understand how you people quit, probably never having been good at the game, then decide to come back with no intention of getting good, and just expecting someone to ease you back into it.

That's not to be mean. But the thing is, if you learned anything the first time around you would know what resources would be available to answer your question.

I've heard your story a million times. You ask and take but you never ever give back.
>>
>>49333723
>It's was more due to the fact that from turn 4 onwards you have to respect the combo or just risk losing to it

>What is Inkmoth Nexus
>What is Groundswell/Might/Vines

People who genuinely think Twin put any pressure on players that hyper aggro doesn't are deluded. You complain about "not being able to tap out," what the fuck were you going to tap out for? Removing that oh so threatening Snapcaster?
>>
>>49333794
>What is targeted discard

>I can't play my creatures when I want WOTC PLS BAN.
>>
>>49334635
>But when you drop deceiver exarch on your opponents turn 3 with twin in hand it was honestly like losing that turn.

Man Wizards should really print some cheap interaction for Modern to prevent that from happening.

Oh wait they literally have, redundantly, in all 5 fucking colors with bonus colorless options.

>but having played against end step exarch with my opponent revealing twin from their hand many a time

Oh so you're a terrible player and that's somehow the deck that beat you's fault?

It "feels bad" when the Tron guy gets a natural T3 Karn and doesn't have to cycle through shit and with zero way to interact with that line. It "feels bad" when Infect or Affinity T4s you more reliably than Twin ever did. None of those decks have been erased.

People like you are why Modern has been going to shit recently.
>>
>>49337661
I agree with you m8. honestly I'm kind indifferent to Twin being gone, but I acknowledge that it didn't need a ban. The one thing Twin did that heavily effected Modern; was make decks have interaction so it could beat the combo. That's why so many fuckers are upset, because Twin made it to were they couldn't just goldfish.

If Twin was legal again, R/G Breach, Suicide Zoo, Elves, R/G Zoo, Merfolk, and a number of other decks wouldn't be nearly as good, some would not exist

Btw I play Jund and Naya Burn
>>
>>49337870
>If Twin was legal again, R/G Breach, Suicide Zoo, Elves, R/G Zoo, Merfolk, and a number of other decks wouldn't be nearly as good, some would not exist

All of those decks were decks when Twin was legal.

If anything, banning Twin reduced deck diversity, since now decks like Grixis and Delver builds literally just died with Twin.
>>
>>49315405
At least from my experience Jund is actually B/W tokens easiest matchup and I rarely see tokens lose to jund. most lists run 0-4 creatures so scooze is worse in the matchup and most of thier removal is garbage, plus I find that they can't handle you getting rid of their creatures. pat that point their bolts become irrelevant as your gaining life every single turn off of vault and sorin. I very rarely lose to jund and I'm in a very competitive meta with people who constantly grind Grind and do well at GP's.
>>
>>49335397
I was playtesting this in affinity, and it seems to average as a 3-drop by turn 4. That said, it's super fragile, and has no evasion. The recursion tends not to trigger often because damn it, I want my artifacts on board.
Overall, I'd say it's kind of a win-more card unless somebody finds a really great use for it.
>>
What's a good budget control deck? It doesn't need to be tier 1 but I'd like it to be at least competitive.
>>
>>49338191
Would Ferocious or Formidable synergize well with Metalwork Colossus or does Affinity inherently fit that threshold?
>>
>>49337895
Yeah but they didn't perform as well and or had to slow their deck down for answers. Also R/G Breech didn't not exist.

Nearly all of those decks have been performing well despite tier list and have been winning/topping Grand Prixs. You can't deny their meta signifance would be much lower if Twin was legal.
>>
What cards should be unbanned in two weeks?

Give interactive decks a chance in hell
>Bloodbraid Elf
>Stoneforge Mystic
>Jace the Mind Sculptor
>>
>>49332116
26 fishes is a bit low-end, I never run less than 28 myself. 8Seas has definitely made combat more easy for me, but it's really a meta call. Also, keep in mind that you probably better board them out if you bring in those Chalices, since you want to lower the amount of one drops. No Hurkyls in the side? Affinity is one of Merfolks worst matchups.

But your list looks fine, good luck anon.
>>
>>49332116
List is good although Im not a fan of 8seas. You should add straight up 4x hurkyl's recall to the side tho
>>
Sweet, someone bought my 3 copies of Lilly on MKM. Fuck this game lel.
>>
>>49322046
card selection isn't card advantage
>>
>>49338231
mono blue tron or mono blue control
>>
>>49338625
There is nothing on the ban list than can fix Modern. SFM and Jace are the best bets, but the format is just fundamentally fucked due to a lack of good answers outside of Abrupt Decay.
>>
>>49338231
Soul Sisters, or mono blue tron. Soul Sisters is a bit more expensive tho.
>>
File: fulminatormage.jpg (55KB, 265x370px) Image search: [Google]
fulminatormage.jpg
55KB, 265x370px
>>49341523
>>49341523

New thread
>>
>>49338231
Seconding Mono Blue Tron, deck is extremely fun
Thread posts: 319
Thread images: 27

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.