[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

DnD 5th edition question

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

So i was discussing dnd with a couple friends and the topic of a blind PC was brought up. As someone who has only played 2 short games in the last 6 years i really dont know the game all that well so my contribution to the topic was mostly nonexistent and it didnt get far. But would it be do able to make a blind player character and if so how would one go about playing one?
>>
Well, you can choose to have it make no mechanical difference and keep it strictly roleplaying. Maybe their other senses are heightened enough that they can get by.

It would only matter in situations where the environment is pitch black.

Or, you can make him do rolls for everything , take penalties to everything, have another PC be required to help them out at all times, etc.

Or you can go halfway and have them just be missing one eye and have it make no difference.

The first option is obviously most fun, but would it break your immersion? What's the point of playing a blind PC if it doesnt even matter?

Honestly, I wouldn't go for it. Unless they have magical abilities to back them up, blind people don't generally go out to adventure.
>>
First, don't play a gimmick like this

Second, yes there are features that assist with this and aid while a player is impaired. You just have to read the player handbook more.
>>
>>49302942
In the RAW 5e PHB there are rules for blind characters and feats for blind characters?
>>
spellcaster. You can rely on area effects, buffs, things without an attack roll. You're going to be rear artillery anyway, so little changes practically speaking. Illusions might be tough to justify.

Cleric would be more flavorful. Especially if you use turning as originally envisioned: just protecting the cleric at low levels, not necessarily the rest of the party and certainly not nailing zombies to walls or scattering them.
>>
Well one idea was brought up about a powerful magic user that relied on the other players in combat for aiming and appropriate spells to use. Sort of like a type of glass cannon.

For area matters it was suggested that the character would make a check to determine what they are aware of via their other senses.
>>
>>49303275
this sounds like it would be such a pain in the ass for everyone.

Is it really worth it just o have your character feel special?
>>
>>49303331
Not really. It really is just a fun idea in thought vs practice kinda thing. I could see it causing issues unless the rest of the group is okay with it. If the adventure was focused around a group of characters who knew each other before the games start it could work... Otherwise itd get annoying.
>>
>>49302957
There is a rule for the Blinded condition. A blind character would simply have that condition at all times.
>>
>>49302810
Rogues get Blindsight at some point in their progression, so you could do a melee rogue if you're starting at high level.
You could play a moon druid and constantly transform into creatures that have alternate senses, like Giant Spiders.
You could take the Magic Initiate feat as any class to get the Find Familiar spell, which gives you an animal companion whose senses you can perceive out of when you choose to, and have it ride around on your shoulder/head and use it as your "eyes".
You could have your GM make a Zatoichi feat for you that gives you blindsight at the cost of normal sight. Most GMs I've had are willing to make a few things to help people fulfill character concepts, DnD is really shitty in how few options you have.
There are probably a few other ways to do it but I haven't done much searching for them.
>>
It might be interesting using a familiar to see somehow. Either through telepathy or focusing your own vision into it. Relevant question: Can a blind player still see images through a familiar?
>>
>>49303503
That's a good question
>>
you should role variant human, and sub the feat for blindsight of 60ft., I.e. you have Matt Murdock radar sense without any of the other abilities. this, of course, requires DM approval
>>
>>49303587
Thanks
>>
>>49303503

as a action, the PC can view through the senses of his familiar, while he does so his subject to the blinded status.
>>
>>49303887
The only thing is sometimes blindsight is Really Good and sometimes it's Not Enough. You could say it's fine on average but I can't agree that two unbalanced things combine to anything else than more unbalance.
>>
>>49303935
It might not work in combat, but out of combat the player could use the familiar to see most of the time. The familiar can still tell its master the location of enemies and where to attack in combat. While looking through a familiar, the master is blinded and deafened iirc.
>>
Healing blindness is like a second level spell for the record. I suppose you could have a party without a cleric, druid or paladin, but I feel it's uncommon for a world where adventurer's will never have access to such a thing

You could just make up some feature that basically gives them daredevil powers, but that sort of feels like it defeats the the purpose a little.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.