[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are Planeswalkers so weak these days?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 176
Thread images: 20

File: ss+(2016-09-06+at+02.26.24).jpg (156KB, 606x834px) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-09-06+at+02.26.24).jpg
156KB, 606x834px
Why are Planeswalkers so weak these days?
>>
I think planeswalkers are literally the worst thing to happen to the game. And I know I'm in the minority, which sucks.
>>
>>49299745
Planeswalkers were a problem back in Zendikar block when the stupidly broken Jace, the Mind Sculptor nearly killed Standard as a format.

Now, the main problem is mythics ruining Limited formats due to the insane power imbalance between regular rares and mythic. Not to mention that mythics juice up the price of Standard and create a Yugioh-esque theft culture.
>>
>>49299841
That was Scars block, dumbass. Jace didn't do jackshit back in ALA-ZEN.
>>
this planeswalker isn't weak at all....
>>
File: 1473394835421.png (3KB, 408x240px) Image search: [Google]
1473394835421.png
3KB, 408x240px
Magic has been pussified in general. Its become a "safe space for creatures, as burn, removal, and evasion are hardcore nerfed. It has also become a safe space for players, as SJW groups force autistic , tranny, and homosexual characters into the Magic universe. Magic has entered a new era where it has become more casualized than ever. The rules are dumbed down thanks to Maro's New World Order, and Heartstone has brought in a flood of nomie undesirables and hipsters who demand simpler rules and a low skill ceiling. In other words, the game is fucked. Magic is likely to be toppled by Force of Will and Heartstone by the end of the 2010s. I suggest those with asses tied up in the MTG card market get out while they still can.
>>
File: 115277_200w.jpg (27KB, 200x285px) Image search: [Google]
115277_200w.jpg
27KB, 200x285px
>>49300093
I'd say the Chandra is average. Not as good as Gideon, but certainly better than the garbage pictured:
>>
>>49299745
Planeswalkers are pretty cool tbqh and they are probably the biggest shake-up to the actual field game since the combat damage change but the problem is that they force a new walker every single set and always push them to be toolboxes instead of something actually cool
>>
>>49300130
Autistic=Narset
Tranny=Alesha

Wait, who are the homosexual characters?
>>
>>49300131
you do know that Nahiri is amazing in older formats right?
>>
>>49300162
Chandra and Nissa.
>>
>>49300130
>Hearthstone has brought in
This post has lowered the IQ of the entirety of humanity

Hearthstone takes away from MtG, casuals don't fucking start with Hearthstone and then go "yeah I want to start paying out the ass for this other card game that I can't play on my phone or tablet and doesn't appeal to me at all"
>>
>>49300165
So is Monastery Mentor. But that card still sucks.

Having good synergy with other cards doesn't make a card single-handedly good.
>>
>>49300130
>Hearthstone invented timmys
this is a new one
>>
>>49300196
yes.

yes it does.
>>
>>49300130
... People play Force of Will outside Japan?
>>
>>49300130
FoW is already dying out.

I would say, however, MTG seriously needs to stop trying to emulate Hearthstone. They are 2 fundamentally different games, and WoTC needs to realize that before it's too late.
>>
>>49300236
FoW was growing until they stopped distributing it to tons of places. Turns out that when people can't play a game, they don't play that game.
>>
>>49300131
She's a decent value engine with removal that can possibly cheat a creature into play. She's above average.
>>
>>49299745
Richard Garfield would agree with you
>>
>>49300542
Yes but her removal is a -3 and cant deal with anything above 4 toughness (*cough*Ishkanah*cough), her value engine forces you to cast the card immediately or lose it forever, and getting 2 extra red mana to cast a dude isn't exactly the same is cheating anything into play. Your description of Chandra fails on all levels.
>>
>>49300131
You know your meme isn't ever going to catch on, right?
>>
>>49299745

Planeswalkers and Mythics are the worst things to happen to Magic: The Gathering.
>>
>>49300131
Hey Chandere, how's Sorin doing these days.
>>
>>49299712
Mending
>>
>>49300989
>Implying that an S-tier walker is garbage
>>
>>49301212
Whoops meant to reply to >>49300131
>>
File: Necromancer Please.jpg (230KB, 850x500px) Image search: [Google]
Necromancer Please.jpg
230KB, 850x500px
>>49300162
They're shipping Lilli and Chandra pretty hard recently.
>>
>>49301288
Lili and Nissa are going to be Chandra's shoulder devil and angel respectively.
>>
>>49301310
Shoulder lesbian and elf more like it.
>>
>>49301318
>>49301288
>>49300180
>Two females interacting MUST be lesbos
The only actual lesbians in the mtg mythos that I can think of are Arlinn and her ded SO.
>>
>>49299745
>worse thing to happen to the game

Fun fact, planeswalkers were supposed to make their debut as early as the Urza block but R&D didn't think they had the right formula yet.
>>
>>49301357
Also the huntresses in Shadows over Innistrad.
>>
File: maybe our blue red arificer.png (666KB, 1191x365px) Image search: [Google]
maybe our blue red arificer.png
666KB, 1191x365px
>>49301357
They just made a lesbian character in Khaladesh. Incidentally, she is also an old woman mourning her dead lover.
>>
>>49299745
>>49300617
>>49301097
I completely agree, fuck mythics, fuck planeswalkers.
bring back the simple mechanics of pre-kamigawa block cards and the waaay better card art/layout/fonts/flavor texts

sorry, i took a 10+ year break from magic and i feel like it's just not the same game :( last sets i really played hard were the onslaught block (lorwyn-shadowmoor was pretty sweet though)
>>
>>49301357
Dude, how many times did they take the space to mention Liliana playing with Chandra's hair.

She's blatantly flirting with the pyromancer.
>>
>>49300399
I would be embarrassed to play FoW in public because of the obnoxious weeb waifu bait art.

It's simply too niche to beat MTG. MTG core players won't generally stop because 1 legend is trans, or because 1 legend is autistic, or because 1 or 2 are gay. But that sure as hell might bring in some players.

So yeah, WotC has a product that appeals to way more people, as opposed to the all male, all weeb audience of FoW.

Magic wins.
>>
>>49301428
SJW's will infest everything we know and love eventually. Just you wait.
>>
>>49301477
>sorry, i took a 10+ year break from magic and i feel like it's just not the same game :(

It isn't the same game anymore, that tends to happen when a game is no longer overseen by a single individual and instead by a huge corporation interested in "maximizing profits."
>>
>>49301526
Listen buddy. One old lady liking pussy isn't going to end our hobby.

I'm sorry you're so triggered by girl Feldon.
>>
>>49301552
Sure. Just wait until they go out of their way to force diversity and then tell me that it is okay.

I mean if you enjoy that kind of stuff, that is fine, that's your opinion, but I don't want too much chocolate in my peanut butter....if you will.
>>
>>49300130
NWO is just MaRo's way of shutting up the liberal SJW scum. Unfortunately, it pissed off alot of older, diehard players at the time, and also skyrocketed the price of Legacy as collateral damage, because the new stuff just sucked so much. MtG has become the exact opposite extreme of Yugioh;while Konami has been power creeping Yugioh to oblivion, WoTC has become pussies about any power creep at all (i.e, won't even print Lightning Strike or Llanowar Elves into Stanard anymore, let alone Bolt or Birds, ffs)
>>
>>49299712
This chandra is modern playable, right? At least in burn?
>4 loyalty, doesn't die to bolt
>+1 lets you dig and burn at the same time

I don't play modern, I just want to know if my card evaluation skills are on par
>>
File: Tankfus Ho.jpg (143KB, 728x300px) Image search: [Google]
Tankfus Ho.jpg
143KB, 728x300px
>>49301552
If she's actually trying to make a Robo-waifu I am okay with this.
>>
>>49301477
Mythics don't actually affect the actual gameplay, aside from limited, where mythics make the format into an unplayable "whoever pulls the chase mythic wins the tournament" format.

What Mythics do is jack up the price of Standard to ridiculous, sometimes near-Modern levels.
>>
>>49301777
Burn in its current modern iteration would probably not play a 4 drop. If she were to be slotted into a current Modern deck it would be either Jund or Jeskai.
>>
>>49301833
Jund wouldn't play her over Kalitas, and Jeskai wouldn't play her over Ajani.
>>
>>49299841
>Planeswalkers were a problem back in Zendikar block when the stupidly broken Jace, the Mind Sculptor nearly killed Standard as a format.
Holy revisionism Batman!
>>
>>49299841
>Zendikar block

You mean Scars block, right?
>>
>>49300665
That's because he's describing Nahiri
>>
>>49300162
One of shitty artifacts that was reprinted in origins shows gay kings on it, Chandra and nissa are a couple now, and and one of the legendary creatures that we know of but dosent have a card yet lists her back story as employing the nallars after her wife dies.
>>
>>49301914
Nahiri sucks
>>
>>49301596
What exactly is at the end of the slippery slope that you're purporting?
>>
>>49302108
When a set is released and every Planeswalker is is LGBT
>>
Standard is the flagship format.

Planeswalkers are the flagship card type, they break Standard if they're too strong.

Also, no strong reprints in standard.
>>
>>49302108
The Burger King Kids' Club.

Only shoved into environments where they don't belong so that nobody feels affronted.

At least that's one of the two ends of the slope as I've always seen it. You get a cast of characters made to pander to every spectrum of Social Justice even when it negatively effects the plot or ruins immersion. The other end is that all the stories turn into Social Justice moralizing meant to teach you a lesson and the franchise dies because being proselytized to in your children's card games gets very old, very quickly.

That said we'll never reach the bottom, because Wizards is still doing the same thing that most companies do, which is inserting just enough side characters that hit the SJW checklist to earn them praise from tumblr without actually doing anything.
>>
>>49301596
There's no need to "force" diversity, a multiverse is the most diverse thing there is already. I browse /pol/ a lot and even I think that every plane being nothing but white Anglos is pretty stupid when the Multiverse spans in every infinite possibility.
>>
>>49301857
Hence the 'if'.
>>
>>49300211
>timmies are retarded
I take offense to that
>>
>>49301428
Neat. The game needs more older characters.
>>
>>49301868
He got the block off by one, but Jace the wallet sculptor along with the rest of cawblade basically killed standard. It was the first time in forever that they had to do an emergency ban from fucking standard.
>>
>>49300617
He didn't say they were the worst, just that they blew a lot of design space by putting so much into them.
>>
>>49302415
You are absolutely correct.
I just fear (and maybe it is an irrational fear) that shit will just be to PUSH diversity.
>>
File: depressing_horror.jpg (31KB, 322x267px) Image search: [Google]
depressing_horror.jpg
31KB, 322x267px
>>49302328
>the Burger King kid's club is an example of deliberately pandering to social justice in the '90s.
>White characters dramatically outnumber minorities
>The group is too white to have been created for the same purpose today
Fuck. /pol/ was right.
>>
File: diabolic_tutor.jpg (62KB, 768x432px) Image search: [Google]
diabolic_tutor.jpg
62KB, 768x432px
>>49301288
We're getting a new tutor?
>>
>>49299712
The Mending happened and made them not automatically Wizardly Turbogods, now they have to work at it.
>>
>>49299712
>bitches about power of plainswalkers
>posts "Chandra Mindbender" as example

Trade in your cards and buy Yu-gi-go, faggot.
>>
>>49299712

Planeswalkers are shit. MtG was always based around the fact that YOU were the planeswalker, and that made you special. Now you have to share that with a bunch of one-dimensional DMPC godbabies that were designed to help pimp the shitty video game. I stopped playing magic when they were added and I genuinely can't see why they were added, other than the reasons above. Why does anyone with the tiniest investment in lore (IE probably only 1% of the people actually playing matgic) like planeswalkers?
>>
>>49302949
yeah, this is also why I dislike how MtG is focusing so much on creatures.
you're supposed to be a wizard, not a general.
>>
>>49302949
From what I understand the intention is YOU are still a planeswalker, planeswalker cards represent these other douchebags who will half-assedly help you out (in accordance with their loyalty) because they owe you one. Still hard to justify how half of us invisible rando planeswalkers happen to know these particular notable individuals well enough to call on them but whatever, I've made peace with it.
>>
>>49303004

Absolutely agree and I have been saying the exact same shit for years now. Before then you had a very reasonable mana cost/power ratio but they've completely thrown that out the window and you have a billion and one 1/2 mana creatures that do fucking everything so the meta revolves around them. Everything is just some shitty mob rage and zero effort is going into making interesting or complex combos, which would spawn entire new kinds of decks altogether.
>>
>>49301478
Liliana's manipulating he a bit though. She still has feelings for Jace I think.
>>
>>49302727
As far as pushing diversity goes this is honestly the best way to do it. Mention it offhandedly without drawing attention to it in the bio of a minior side character. Steampunk Grandma seems to have an established personality and goals beyond being gay and her sexuality is not the focus of her character, which is the right way to do it. It doesn't harm anything nor does it warp the plot or focus of the story. The only real reason to object to it is if you buy the slippery slope argument that anon used upthread.
>>
>>49300130
Oh look an elitist douchenozzle raving about how MtG has gone down the toilet.
Crawl back under your rock and have a good whine, because nobody cares.
>>
>>49302727
I think they've done an okay job of giving all races some sort of rep in the game such that it's a "believable" kind of diversity, just so long as they don't start giving everybody radioactive hair colors and genderisms, I think we'll be okay for another 10+ years
>>
>>49302543

And older female characters as well.

Who are actually their stated age.

Lil' your a cute and all, but you don't represent old people.

I do like that WotC actually took the time to figure out how she looked before she got reset to her twenties.

Tsunade from Naruto is in her 50s, looks like in her late 20s, and even has (using too much of her power makes her look old), but do that bumblefuck bother to design her at her "natural" age?

Fucking nope.
>>
>>49299841
>he doesn't realize that magic cards get much better when the economy shitty
>>
>>49303119
>complaining about elitism on 4chan
>>>/t/umblr
>>>/r/eddit
>>
>>49302869
>Cheap BR tutor with the choice of discarding or losing life as a downside
I want this.

>>49303045
Stop Spiking out and get your Vorthos on, man.
>>
>>49299712
If your gonna complain about how PWs are too weak, don't post ones that are OP like 4AbilityChandra and Nahiri 2.0. Maybe if you posted things like Kiora 2.0 or Inspector Jace, you'd validate your point a bit better.
>>
>>49300196
It makes the card fun and enables non-midrange decks to be a thing. Synergistic cards allow the older formats to exist.
>>
>>49304046
>or Inspector Jace,
Nothing bad about him.

And yet somehow, completely not worth it.
>>
>>49302949
I agree, that's why I dropped this game in Urza's Saga.
>>
>>49303093
The reason she left ravnica was because her tsun-tsun act didnt fluster jace it just pissed him off. She cant get the dicking she wants so shes going to manipulate chandra to setting people on fire. If she cant mill his load shes going to work out her frustration somewhere else.
>>
>>49299961
>>49301881

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=195297
worldwake is part of zendikar block
>>
>>49305142
Wrekt'em. Jace sucked because of bloodbraid, when it rotated out jace became everything he was supposed to be.
>>
>>49299712
Why not just reprint Chandra Nalaar?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRHvARONqzk
>>
>>49301596

I wonder how much your jimmies are going to be rustled when you'll discover that for a consistent time the main characters included 2 furry bait and a black girl
>>
>>49302727

Just look at how they handled trans character.

Aleesha was much more than "look, I have a dick", and you won't even know it hadn't you read the UR.

Olivia, on the other hand, was the pure futa waifu we all want
>>
>>49303177

Completely not related, I'm loving how Liliana is being portayed in her interaction with the other walkers.

Always scheming, always calculating. She's perfect, just a little too moustache twirling on kaldesh
>>
>>49305362
>too mustache twirling
impossible
the more cartoonish the B aligned characters are the better
>>
File: 106.jpg (74KB, 312x445px)
106.jpg
74KB, 312x445px
>>49301477
Things were simpler back then
>>
>>49301832
>Making the game pay to win not considered alerting gameplay
>>
>>49301832
>Mythics don't actually affect the actual gameplay
Depends how abstract you want to get. A more expensive game means less people playing it. Less people playing it could mean a different metagame (the people with less money who don't play could all lean more towards aggro as it tends to be cheap).
>>
>>49299712
Torch of Defiance isn't that weak overall. Say she survives one turn, then she's a mana rock with emergency Flame Slash.
Really, it's only Jace the Mind Sculptor and Liliana of the Veil that are "drop for instant power" format-warping dickbags. Other 'walkers don't come close, Karn or Ugin or Nahiri. Even if they have their places in Modern or whatever.
>>
>>49305917
>less people playing it
Yet from the introduction of mythics the number of players only kept grewing larger
>>
>>49306029
Quite simply because the vast majority of players are entirely casual and play only for fun.
Mythics are only a problem for people who want to be competitive.
>>
The biggest issue with walkers is that WotC has a quota to make a certain amount every set - most of the walker design space has been used up at this point and it is straining design. This causes walkers who just plain suck and never get used or ones that HAVE to be played (in Standard, anyway - walkers are hardly used in other formats).

The only thing that mechanically sucks about walker cards is they give effective life options to colours that shouldn't have them.
>>
>>49306029
The number of players grew because the cake was a lie. Standard was in a decent place in Innistrad and Return to Ravnica, so lots of people jumped onboard. It wasn't too expensive, the mythics weren't THAT oppressive. Admittedly Thragtusk was ass fucking the format at the time, but that's no worse than the flood of green we've had since then.
>>
>>49306060
Competitiveness is shit in a game about painted cardboard and Wizards is right to spurn them
>>
>>49299712
Solid jund staple.
>>
File: strategy.jpg (83KB, 740x490px) Image search: [Google]
strategy.jpg
83KB, 740x490px
>>49306084
How is "painted cardboard" less worthy of competition than painted stones or statuettes?
>>
>>49306162
They aren't. People just pretend basic strategy games are worthy of deep analysis and respect because they have ancient history associated with them. But they are childish games nonetheless.
>>
>>49306205
Are you saying no games are worthy of competition? If so, why did you mention "painted cardboard" at all? If not, what exactly are you saying?
>>
File: rio_2016.jpg (21KB, 560x300px) Image search: [Google]
rio_2016.jpg
21KB, 560x300px
>>49306218
The only games worthy of competition are physical contests. Thus, the Olympics.
>>
>>49306248
That opinion would be unusual even for a member of the general public (who widely respect Chess et al), let alone a member of /tg/. Why do you feel that way?
>>
>>49306299
As I said, chess just has the history and association with "smart guys". It's not particularly interesting, and skill at chess does not imply anything but skill at chess (except perhaps decent memorization ability). It's a large sum of wasted time, effort, and money to go "competitive" with so many things that are, at their core, pastime hobbies.
>>
>>49306324
Everything is a waste of time and effort if you think about it, that line of thinking fast ends up going nowhere. Things have meaning because you ascribe them meaning, nothing is inherently worth anything.
>>
>>49306324
"Not particularly interesting" is obviously subjective and therefore not a convincing argument.

I disagree that skills gained from games of strategy don't translate to anything else.

And the same "wasted time, effort, and money" argument could be made about sports or indeed any hobby.

"Competitive" doesn't necessarily imply "professional", BTW.
>>
>>49305818

*pay to compete

Get your terms right anon. There's a limit how far the money will carry you.
>>
>>49306324
>I don't like it, therefore it is shit

What a terrible argument

>skill at chess does not imply anything but skill at chess

And?
>>
>>49300131
Nahiri was almost going to be garbage. Originally, she was going to be +1, -3, and -7. But she was changed last minute because "she would have been too underpowered". And she ended up going from 0 to 100 because of that last minute change.
>>
>>49301478
Lili's gay for pay, where she's getting paid in Chandra burning shit credits.
>>
>>49299745
Planeswalkers arent inherently bad they just keep making them to fucking powerful.
>>
>>49301478
Well of course lilliana is going to try and manipulate people with her sexuality.
>>
>>49303085
How is MtG even supposed to work without creatures. You'd have control, combo, and ...finishers for control.
Creatures: the tappening was inevitable. Creatures are the most efficient form of damage, damage is the only way to win the game other than cards you would build a deck around.And since creatures are the most common card you don't want them to be boring so you give them complex game alrering effects. This leads to the state of the game today. Well, other than powerlevel. Wizards is entirely at fault there.
>>
>>49308994
Except early mtg wasn't creatures the tappening, and it could have easily remained that.
>>
>>49309070
And all you had was combos and control and MtG was very niche and not amazingly successful. They're owned by Hasbro now. They must shoot for the lowest common denominator and earn solid profits, or the black-hearted toy overlords will terminate them without a second thought.
>>
>>49308932
Besides Nahiri, the Suicide Bomber and Chandra, Torch of Wallets, what other new Walkers have been overpowered?
>>
File: Magik the Gathering.jpg (91KB, 774x900px) Image search: [Google]
Magik the Gathering.jpg
91KB, 774x900px
>>49309070
>Except early mtg wasn't creatures the tappening
Yes, it was. It was full stop. The times when it wasn't were aberrations. Combo Winter is not the default state of the game.

http://mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/Deckmasters_2001
http://mtgsalvation.gamepedia.com/1996_World_Championship_deck
>>
>>49310281

B... B.. But muh draw go control... The purest type of magic... The most interactive deck that isn't degenerate at all!
>>
>>49310470
>COUNTER COUNTER COUNTER COUNTER UPHEVAL PSYCHATOG WIN

>COUNTER COUNTER COUNTER COUNTER SQUADRON HAWK STONEFORGE MYSTIC WIN

...Yeah, totally not degenerate
>>
File: 1450956704184.jpg (8KB, 249x250px) Image search: [Google]
1450956704184.jpg
8KB, 249x250px
>>49299712
>4 cost
>mana as a plus
>gets through deck faster
>ult (4 turns) slaps a lava axe on every spell
>weak
Seems alright to me.
Also, Mardu planeswalker who/where/when?
>>
>>49301288
>these two characters are interacting, that means they're gay!
the horseshoe theory proves right once again
>>
>>49310281

>1996
You know by nature of the archetype, Aggro beats control, right? Especially in 96 where no one knew what they were doing?

>deckmasters 2001
>The card pool was Ice Age and Alliances, and the reprint policy had to be taken in account. Each could only use four rare cards in the deck, and no more than two copies of any one card.

So it was a draft deck.

Hyper Aggro isn't the state of the game either or else Eldrazi Winter wouldn't have happened. Because that's what creatures the tappening is, t1 mimics, t2 ThoughtNazi, t3 Smasher gg. Totally not degenerate guys.

Or maybe wizards shouldn't do winter releases.
>>
>>49310160
Just those 2 right now really.
They can never seem to get the powerlevel quite right they are always to good or not good enough.
>>
>>49305351
Olivia has a dick? Sauce?
>>
File: Olivia_voldaren.jpg (126KB, 1024x749px) Image search: [Google]
Olivia_voldaren.jpg
126KB, 1024x749px
>>49313778
Not canon to my knowledge, but the artist misplaced her legs so the card art looked... interesting.
>>
>>49313854
Holy smokes, she's got a fucking whopper.
>>
>>49313854
HOW HAVE I JUST NOTICED THIS

My sides.
>>
>>49313854
Man, imagine Olivia 1.0 in standard right now. There's so much stagnating and playing of land that she'd warp the format and wind up banned. She wasn't even really played back in Innistrad.
>>
>>49302593
Except they didn't do an emergency ban for Jace, they did it during the normal Banned and Restricted announcement. And people cry really hard about how the only deck to show up at tournaments was Caw Blade when that simply wasn't true, Eldrazi Ramp, Valakut Titan and RDW were all strong decks in the metagame
>>
>>49303559
>muh flavor
Kill yourself anytime
>>
>>49305351
Holy fucking shit, this wasn't funny 5 years ago and it isn't funny now
>>
>>49299841
That's why they are doing Masterpieces, bling eternal staples at 18 times rarer than mythic will suck all the sets value away from standard
>>
File: Olivia Voldaren.jpg (899KB, 1920x1358px) Image search: [Google]
Olivia Voldaren.jpg
899KB, 1920x1358px
>>49313948
>>
>>49316754
I love Masterpieces and they are a great idea, I only have 1 issue with them...

WHAT THE FUCK WAS WOTC THINKING WHEN THEY DECIDED TO MAKE THEM LEGAL FOR LIMITED??????
>>
>>49318363
Because it would mean either wasting a pick or passing up something amazing.

Unless you would put them in token slots and even then it's a bad feel to draft something you can't play
>>
>>49302328
How would a character not being white, a dude and/or straight negatively effect the plot?
>>
>>49302328
I am so fucking glad someone else noticed that.

Even if you think it's a good thinf, it's better that you don't suck up wotc b.s.

Being right is better than being good.
>>
>>49318363
There are 30 masterpieces.
There is 1 masterpiece per 144 packs.
Of the masterpieces, the ones that are draft ruining are the 3 swords primarily, with sol ring being potentially problematic if it gets dropped t1-3. The rest...they are good cards, but they won't significantly damage the draft environment anymore than, say, drafting a chandra.
>>
>>49308994
mtg is a game about fighting.

Creature combat was always meant to be core, with just had no idea how to execute that at first.
>>
>>49302328
We're already at that point. Take some solace, though, in the fact that Magic writing is only slightly shittier than it's always been.
>>
File: image.jpg (154KB, 1024x512px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
154KB, 1024x512px
Slightly off topic but the other day I saw some guy link to a long, weepy Tumblr post wherein a grown man talks about how Wizards hurt his feelings because Kaladesh wasn't Indian emough.

Can you imagine the shitstorm of Mirage or Kamigawa were released today?
>>
Pretty much the game has gone to shit. Bring back damage on the stack, bring back Lorwyn/Morningtide limited, bring back artifact lands in Modern.
Like straight up
But also Kamigawa/Ravnica had just the right power level for creatures. Today's shit is just ridiculous. How are you even supposed to beat Swagtusk with gimped shit like Bog Hoodlums?
>>
>>49303559
The tutor will be 7 mana and you get a burn spell equal to CMC and lose life equal to CMC, mark me.
>>
>>49318733
plus, this is an artifact set, so there will be an above average level of artifact removal. So even the swords won't destroyed limited any more than mythic swords destroyed SoM limited.
They're bombs, but they're no Jitte.
>>
>>49320141
>bring back artifact lands in Modern
What the fuck, why? Affinity's not strong enough as it is?
>>
>>49318692
Imagine we go back to Kamigawa. I know it's hard, but just imagine. A third of the humans are now black and Hispanic.

Just take that formula and apply it constantly. Most specifically to any time when the good guys would be homogeneous in any way.

If we get good guy dwarfs, they won't care about traditions being broken or challenged.
If we get good guy Shadowmoor Kithkin they will be accepting of outsiders.

There will be an Esper noble in a wheelchair because they felt giving the character etherium legs would be considered ableist.

>>49319253
We're still in spoilers, wait for the fucking set to come out, people! Besides, if you read the first background piece with the anal retentive Vedalken you'd have already known it wasn't going to be very Indian.

Mirage would be fine, because it's about an evil white man invading Jamuraa conquering them with his evil army.
>>
>>49320141
Also creatures in Kamigawa were exceptionally bad even by the standards of the game up to that point. Tons of 4- and 5-mana creatures that die to Bolt or even Shock, with abilities so minor or narrow they're practically useless. Samurai and Ninja were fun but come on.
>>
>>49320465
>Imagine we go back to Kamigawa. I know it's hard, but just imagine. A third of the humans are now black and Hispanic.
This is exactly what would happen, oh god
>>
>>49301535
Magic hasn't been overseen by a single individual since, like, the first two years of its life.
>>
>>49302415
The problem isn't having "diversity", it's that Wizards' approach to "diversity" (making the population of every single plane looking like a college admissions pamphlet and sticking in LGBTQIA++ characters at random) is retarded.

Fortunately if you're smart and/or non-autistic enough not to give a shit about the supplemental storyline component of a collectible card game, this can all be completely ignored along with idiotic shit like the Jacetice League.
>>
>>49320763
my current strategy is to enjoy the setting and occasionally the plot and not get tangled up in specific poorly written characters
>>
File: Fiend Binder.png (131KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Fiend Binder.png
131KB, 223x311px
>>49320934
I'd love to, but then I happen upon shit like pic related that completely breaks the immersion and ruins everything.

This art obviously belongs to a Blue card.
>>
>>49320339
I just want a BR Target player draws 2 cards,, then discards up to 2 cards, then loses 1 life for each card not discarded at instant speed. Is that so much to ask?

I mean, yes, I know it is, but still.
>>
>>49315273
Bullshit. She was in jund everywhere.
>>
>>49302328
Girls are only 2 out of 7 characters (today it would be at least 4), no blatantly homo characters, no asian character, no spic and no transgender character.
That pic would be 'problematic' today.
>>
>>49306248
The Olympic Doping Games, where you can olny compete if you are a mutant AND take drugs to enhace your body.
Fuck off.
>>
>>49304741
So what you're saying is that to keep Liliana from manipulating everybody and fucking things up, Jace just needs to regularly stick his dick in her?

>reminder of his mind fortress against Emmy
>Is it Liliana, is it Liliana, is it Lilia- oh, Nissa.
>>
>>49300180
Queerbaiting is not canon lesbians.
>>49301288
They're not actually hitting on each other, it's a muuuuuch more sisterly relationship.
>>
>>49301732
>NWO is just MaRo's way of shutting up the liberal SJW scum
I'm.... confused. How does it do that exactly?
> Unfortunately, it pissed off alot of older, diehard players at the time,
I mean, probably, but some of the best draft formats of all time have been post-NWO (see: triple Innistrad, triple KTK).
>, and also skyrocketed the price of Legacy as collateral damage, because the new stuff just sucked so much.
wat.
so much wat.

Shitty uncomplicated commons would do absolutely shit all to the price of Legacy.
Also they still broke every nonstandard format in half with Treasure Cruise.
>>
>>49319253
Well Ravnica was supposed to be Slav yet we got niggers and pooskins.
>>
>>49312474
Eldrazi winter/spring happened because wizards clearly do not playtest modern.
And even more important is that creatures were not the problem but the fast mana from temple and eye.
>>
File: olivia.jpg (209KB, 1000x731px) Image search: [Google]
olivia.jpg
209KB, 1000x731px
>>49313854
The artist fixed this for the gallery on his website but obviously that was too late for the card.
>>
Planeswalkers were a mistake.
>>
>>49299745
Planeswalkers basically killed the design space for static enchantments and artifacts that were supposed to subtly affect the board. Everything must have a CIP effect (so that we don't feel bad when it's instantly killed) and win you the game single-handedly if left alone.

Thank for they've gotten way less retarded about walkers recently.
>>
>>49299745
Agreed. There's nothing I like less than missing a chance to counterspell a turn 3 or 4 PW while playing a control deck and I lose because I can't constantly throw creatures at it
>>
the only players that hate planeswalkers are U players because they aren't something U can easily deal with unlike everything else in the game

god forbid the best color in the game have trouble at reacting to something compared to other colors
>>
>>49324941
blue doesnt care about walkers, theyve had negate since lorwyn. Also green is the best color
>>
>>49299712
They are afraid of causing a Jace Part Two, and I think that's pretty reasonable of them.

But mostly, Chandra has never had a really GOOD planeswalker because she's based around a play style thats already losing by the time she can be cast, let alone get off any decent abilities. Chandra needs a two drop that starts the burn immediately. She's just never fast enough for RDW.
>>
>>49299745
Agreed actually. They take center stage in life for every goddamn plane now. The plane itself takes a backseat to whatever Chandra, Lily or Jace are starting around doing.

There are new walkers every set, most of which are new iterations of the Jacestice League. I mean there are what? 8 Chandras now? And only Torch of Defiance is playable. All he other ones are literally the same card with the abilities switched around.

Just look at them as a whole. They're all either

>Why would you ever use this?
Or
>Well shit, I guess I just lose if I don't start flinging everything I have at it while ignoring my actual opponent

Fuck walkers, killed the lore and the game.
>>
>>49323942
so it went from a horsecock to a droopy horsecock? not much improvement.
>>
>>49325380
6 drop chandra is 6 mana for 6 damage or a new hand, its a shame nigthscape familiar hasnt been reprinted in standard for modern
>>
>>49323698
>They're not actually hitting on each other, it's a muuuuuch more sisterly relationship.
You act like they're mutually exclusive.
>>
>>49299745
All the aggressively costed, "story important" (plz) planeswalkers are A) extra rare, pricey cards that B) just do "good stuff" (which means boring, predictable gameplay), and C) encourage both players to draw out the game.

Really sick of Wizards forcing an entire card type into constructed for the worst possible reason ("muh story")
Thread posts: 176
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.