[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Foundation Series RPG

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 6

File: Foundation-Isaac-Asimov.jpg (507KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
Foundation-Isaac-Asimov.jpg
507KB, 960x540px
Is such an adaptation possible while still being able to capture the mature but weird spirit of the Foundation Series? On one hand I distrust any player group to treat it like the books, but on the other I can't imagine a scenario or system engaging enough to justify the effort.

Sure you could set it during a Sheldon Crisis or even during the Sack of Trantor, but neither events have significance unless you read the books, and also that conflict resolution is more intriguing than out-right force-of-arms...

Any ideas fellow fa/tg/uys?
>>
As a legacy game following a family line it could be quite fun. Perhaps you could adapt rules from games like Pendragon and create a lineage that follows the development of the Foundation and all the big events
>>
File: 1219793_large.jpg (132KB, 940x598px) Image search: [Google]
1219793_large.jpg
132KB, 940x598px
>>49290037
Never heard of Pendragon before, looks very interesting.

Management of estates, of dynasties and governments.

I'll absolutely look into that more, thanks anon.
>>
File: 1473489209568.jpg (36KB, 475x318px) Image search: [Google]
1473489209568.jpg
36KB, 475x318px
>>49290087
Godspeed anon
>>
>>49289980
Try Sufficiently Advanced.
>>
>>49290448
http://suffadv.wikidot.com/inspiration
>>
File: Dank_6f2a2c_5929184.jpg (82KB, 500x649px) Image search: [Google]
Dank_6f2a2c_5929184.jpg
82KB, 500x649px
>>49290448
>>49290459
Wow, so this system was directly inspired by The Foundation Series? That'll also be on my to-look-up list, thanks.
>>
>>49289980
It's hard to imagine a property less suited to a game table dynamic than Foundation. You might as well be playing Hitchhiker's Guide to Magrathea. The scope of the story is so far beyond any character horizon, it's really more of a backdrop. The premise is that the characters can't solve anything because they don't understand the myth arc by design. And anything they do has been preempted by some higher intelligence in an epic design that they can, by definition, never grasp.

So what's the game here? Breaking the premise? Being infallible near-omniscient Mary Sues that get the world bent to their expectations by the GM? Unrelated adventurers oblivious to the grand plan they are part of? No matter how you turn it, it's always a GM inside joke, not a scenario with challenges and closure.

Pretty much all I could salvage for a game from Foundation is the sense of misunderstood greater things at work. And that can plug into any campaign, it's just a question of scope.
>>
>>49291100
I love the World and approach to tech, and also the atmosphere as well as the premise. But you're correct that you cannot follow the main plot.
>>
>>49291151
You could run it in the Robots or Trantor cycles, that have similar themes but makes for easier adventures.
>>
>>49291335
I haven't gotten around to reading those, but I'll look them up! Thanks
>>
File: Mia.jpg (78KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
Mia.jpg
78KB, 250x250px
>>49289980
>maturity
>weirdness
>conflict resolution

You've isolated three things that Foundation means to you, so now it's just a matter of firming-up any other factors necessary to fulfil your standard of Isaacness. Then, communicate them to the party in a manner conducive to setting the tone and pace that you seek. No plan survives enemy contact, so that's about all one can do. Good luck!
>>
>>49289980
>"Your group is part of one generation of the clandestined bureaucracy of a conspiracy that works to see its vision fulfilled X generations down the line."

What an exciting game.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.