[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Katars

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 135
Thread images: 17

File: 20150110_171222.jpg (2MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
20150110_171222.jpg
2MB, 4160x2340px
Why don't we see these more? It seems like punch daggers are unique to India. Why?
>>
I think they look kind of stupid and they appear unwieldy aside from cutting.

I'd rather use a scimitar/chakram/fists
>>
Aren't they assassin's weapons? Honestly diamond dust works to, if you got the time.

As for punch daggers, it comes down to reach, you have to get close enough to punch someone, that means you're in there reach longer than them in yours.

And a normal dagger can do the same thing, and more.
>>
File: 1416345027057.png (118KB, 212x278px) Image search: [Google]
1416345027057.png
118KB, 212x278px
Katars are fucking great. I remember in D&D my DM gave a feat that let you do bleed damage with a Katar. So my character loaded up on two of them. We were fighting this cult with both male and female members and we would usually kill the male members first and avoid hitting the female cultists. Then I'd punch them with the Katars and kill any healers and watch them bleed. It was only 1 hp per second so it took a pretty long time and they had shitty healing skill so they couldn't stop it. So 1 hp per round times they had like 30 hit points so it took them a good 3 minutes to bleed to death. That was a great campaign.
>>
>>49287788
>Coz it happened in DnD means it will happen in real life
>>
>>49287815

Who said anything about real life? What the fuck is wrong with you? It's a game, dude.
>>
>>49287838

This is some remedial grade trolling.
>>
>>49287838

It's probably some triggered bitch anon making his daily shitposting rounds, better to just ignore him.
>>
>>49287788
>literally ow the edge

I've always liked the ideas of katars (probably Diablo 2 that sold me on them) but I've yet to find a system that really supports them.
inb4 have you tried not playing d&d/3.5
>>
>>49287614
I gave some to skaven assassins that went after the players.
>>
>>49287888

It wasn't D&D 3.5, it was 5e.

>>49287850
>>49287876

No??? Dude I was just mentioning something in a game, I don't understand how we were suddenly talking about real life. This isn't /k/. I was confused. This is only my third post on this entire website.
>>
They're like daggers you can't hide, twice as long, and don't use leverage when you hurt people with them.

AKA fucking stupid.
>>
They're not an efficient design -- they're an affectation from a time when close combat weapons no longer needed to be practical.

Katars don't show up until the 16th century, during the Mughal empire and well after the introduction of firearms. This is far after the time when a small feudal warrior elite mattered, and so courtly weapons were naturally transitioning into a new role as elaborate male jewelry. The same transition was happening in Europe with the smallsword, and Japan with the katana.

Katars, while shitty weapons, are fantastic jewelry. They're flashy, they allow much personalization, and if you kill something with one then everyone knows you have to be a badass. It became fashionable for Mughal princes to hunt tigers with a pair of them (or, at least, to claim that they did) -- precisely because of how much of a badass you would have to be to pull it off.
>>
>>49287614
Because they're not as practical, concealable, or cool as a regular dagger?
>>
>>49287959

>They're like daggers you can't hide, twice as long, and don't use leverage when you hurt people with them.

Swords?
>>
>>49287948
Ignore him, he's just being shitty. Your story, while being needlessly edgy, isn't what he's saying it is. If you think anyone's trying to make irrelevant points at you, they're probably trolling- they just want your attention. You can give it to them if you want, but the larger community prefers you don't.

I'm also assuming you're not trolling- no real loss if you are, though.
>>
>>49288153

wut?
>>
>>49287614
They were primarily used to break mail weren't they? Used in an offhand with something like a tulwar in the main hand. I believe they were even combined with bucklers so you could hold both.

India never had large solid plates of armor, and even mail was ultimately comparatively rare, so slightly more unconventional weapons designs reined supreme. You get similar stuff in the Mid East and south east Asia.
>>
>>49287948

>This is only my third post on this entire website.

Then you should lurk more before you post.
>>
>>49287614
Katars and punch daggers aren't the same thing.
The punch dagger has a much smaller and narrower blade.
>>
>>49288443
>Then you should lurk more before you post.

What kind of shithead /b/ullshit is this?

I don't know what board you came from but plz go back.
>>
>>49287642
>Aside from cutting
>Katars cutting

U wot?
>>
>>49288456

>What kind of shithead /b/ullshit is this?

This is basic logic that's there to prevent you from looking like a fool.

>I don't know what board you came from but plz go back.

I could say the same for whatever shitty website you came from too newfag.
>>
>>49288456
/d//o/ you /n//o//t/ u/n//d//er/st/a//n//d/ h/o//w/ /t//o/ l/u/r/k/?
>>
>>49288456
You're a faggot and you need to fuck off.
>>
>>49288505
>/d//o/ (you) /n//o//t/ u/n//d//er/st/a//n//d/ h/o//w/ /t//o/ l/u/r/k/?
ftfy
>>
>>49288456

And this children is why we lurk before we post.

Any questions?
>>
>>49288532
Fuck, I need to lurk more. I'm not ready to post yet.
>>
>>49288456
>What kind of shithead /b/ullshit is this?

r/4chan isn't considered lurking
>>
File: tg_has_changed.png (61KB, 1072x364px) Image search: [Google]
tg_has_changed.png
61KB, 1072x364px
>>49288505
>>49288513
>>49288536
>>49288571

Holy flying fuck /tg/ has changed.

Before this place was full of people excited to talk about and play roleplaying games and shit.

Now it's full of faggots talking about lurking. Where the fuck did you guys come from? /v/? /a/?
>>
>>49288472

?
>>
>>49288629
it was always like that baitmaster, don't misuse a cap for you narrative.
the only difference is that people are more angry in it all now.
>>
>>49288629

lurking before posting has been a thing since 4chan was a thing.

Posting racist jokes on r/4chan doesn't count as lurking, and if you actually lurked instead of diving straight in, you wouldn't be in the shit that you're in right now.
>>
>>49288658

>lurking before posting has been a thing since 4chan was a thing.
>/tg/ is like the rest of 4chan
>board culture doesn't exist

Well I know a few boards that you definitely aren't from. I'm still feelin /a/ or /v/ based on my own prejudices.

> you wouldn't be in the shit that you're in right now.
>Implying I'm the same person
>>
>>49288679

I'm guessing that you're either from reddit or tumblr.

If you don't like lurking then maybe you should go back there.
>>
>>49288642
>Katars are for stabbing, not cutting. They don't really have any use at all for cutting.

>>49288679
>Muh board culture
If you're going to judge people based on what boards they visit, then you're retarded. Lurking more is never a bad thing. Hell, it was two full years before I ever posted on 4chan.

>Implying you're talking to one person
>>
>>49288711

>If you don't like lurking

You literally ignore everything I said about board culture.

Man, ignoring someone's argument completely and just going right for insults still puts you right in the middle of /v/ and /a/. This is a tough one.

At least you've broken down to trolling now so I can just ignore you. Feel free to throw in a last word or some shit. I hope this board starves your troll ass.
>>
>>49288762
>Katars are for stabbing, not cutting. They don't really have any use at all for cutting.

Sure
>>
>>49288762
>If you're going to judge people based on what boards they visit, then you're retarded.

Nah, it tends to piss people off because they don't realize how much being an asshole is justified by what board they are posting on (or otherwise their immediate culture they immerse themselves in) as opposed to some kind of divine mandate that assholes should be tolerated.

> Lurking more is never a bad thing.

That has literally nothing to do with anything I said.

>Hell, it was two full years before I ever posted on 4chan.

That's nice. I'm glad you keep track of these kinds of things. It's important to have things that are important to you.

>Implying you're talking to one person

Well I did respond to one post sooooo, yeah that post was talking to one person.
>>
>>49288878
So, you've responded to one single post out of this entire thread?

Was that post the one you just did or a previous post?

Does that bring the count up to two?

Please let me know anon, this is highly important to me.
>>
>>49288909

wut?
>>
File: Bazzaji.png (10KB, 400x640px) Image search: [Google]
Bazzaji.png
10KB, 400x640px
Katars are the best, my crab man uses them.
>>
>>49288762

Listen here you fat neckbearded fuckhead, take a step back from slapping your cheeto dust covered fingers on your poor defenseless keyboard, you may think that your constant shit posting every day on this Saudia arabian stamp collecting sight gives you some special fucking privaleges but I'm here to tell you it doesn't

I don't give a fucking shit if Chad thundercock himself posts on this board in between rabid fuck sessions with that girl you've asked out 50 times

You aren't some special if someone new wants to post they can, and you have absolutely no fucking right to tell them not to, our hobbies are niche enough that new members are always welcome and even though lurking can hell, it's easier to learn the culture by being a part of the discussions

Besides, even though his story was stupid, inane and edgy, it seems like he actually fucking plays traditional games, which seems to be something most people on this board don't fucking do

I suppose it's true when they say that /tg/ is a board that role plays being role players

Now if you want to be a shit posting, cummguzzling faggot be my guest but if you ever think about discouraging someone from joining our culture again then you can just go back to whatever shit hole board you came from(r9k, pol, b, v, a)

Or better yet, just end your pathetic excuse for a fucking existence, hell even your mother wanted to deal with you in the womb but abortions are expensive and she just couldn't lay off the Crack long enough to save it up, it's a decision that shes regretted her whole life, the disappointment she's felt for you is so crushing that she can't even drown it out with all the drugs and dicks in the world
>>
>>49287788
That's some pretty intense edginess.
>>
>>49288966
Oh me oh my Anon, you've got a lot of pent up anger. You should probably take some time off and lurk more.
>>
File: have_a_you.gif (415KB, 480x238px) Image search: [Google]
have_a_you.gif
415KB, 480x238px
>>49288979

Yeah, you're just another shitposter lookin for (You). I hope this board starves you.
>>
>>49289002
Actually, I barely ever post, you're just too butthurt.

I'm going to go back to writing my campaign, have a good night anon.
>>
>>49288979

>hey mom! Look at this awesome comeback I just came up with
>lurk moar fagget!!!XDXDXDXD
>GOT HIM

Oh man, you sure so me, I'm absolutely SEETHING with rage now, in fact I'm so mad I'm going to leave this board and never ever come back, I'll even right down in my dairy how much I'll never forget how badly I was shown up by you anon
>>
>>49289002
>Yeah, you're just another shitposter lookin for (You). I hope this board starves you.
>I think you're just looking for attention. I hope other people have the small amount of self control necessary to not respond to you, because I don't.
>>
>>49289030

Sure you do, I bet your mom tells you youre the best dm ever and how creative you are
>>
HEMAfag here.

Probably because it's the fucking same as punching someone except sharper.

Fun fact: Short weapons are shit.

As mentioned before in the threat they'd make decent enough assassins weapons. Small, flat, weird looking, don't jump out as weapons if concealed right, and of course bladed for that, single unsuspected attack.

So Katars and the like are suitable for your rogue and monks in a fantasy setting. Although it's fantasy so do whatever the fuck you want.

My thoughts on what stats they should have for DnD?

Same as a dagger, except add exotic.
>>
>>49287614
Octopodi with Katars though.
Makes for great boss battles and makes the players jaws go slack without having to go to OW THE EDGE territory. They were even more surprised when it dodged cannon-fire by squeezing itself and propelling through the water like a squid.
>>
>>49288966
or what? are you going to add me to your 200 confirmed kills.
>>
>>49288966
This reads like some silly copypasta.

>I don't give a fucking shit if Chad thundercock himself posts on this board in between rabid fuck sessions with that girl you've asked out 50 times
Ya might want to lay off going to /r9k/, its rotted your brain something fierce.

Also as an oldfag, yes the board has changed, in many ways for the worse, but you seriously need to L U R K M O A R F A G G O T
>>
>>49289055
> I hope other people have the small amount of self control necessary to not respond to you, because I don't.

Damn straight. I'm glad I've learned to cut myself off.
>>
>>49289101
> as an oldfag
> L U R K M O A R F A G G O T

Confirmed for not oldfag
>>
>>49289079
Usually they have the same stats as a regular dagger for DnD, but they sometimes change depending on edition.

For instance instead of 19-20 with x2 crit it becomes 20 with x3.

They would also deal piercing damage instead of slashing.
>>
File: 1435651038927.gif (2MB, 400x209px) Image search: [Google]
1435651038927.gif
2MB, 400x209px
>>49288966
Wait, this isn't even copypasta, is it? You're just that mad. Holy shit.

Nobody is stopping coldsteel over there from posting. We literally cannot stop him, and you can't stop anyone else. The first response that kicked all this off pretty much just said "lurk moar". It was advice, and it was responded to with insults. If he had lurked more, he might have noticed that excessively edgy bullshit is often not well received, and while he may still have posted that story further down the line his decision to do so would be more well-informed.

Also this is going in my collection. Fucking A+ pasta material, well done.
>>
>>49289101

Oldfag my ass, and are you autistic? Can you not see that it's a parody of the average poster of the boards I posted, r9k is fucking posion, the FBI should arrest every person that frequents it, they'd probably prevent 90% of all school shootings if they did.

Also go to bed grandpa
>>
>>49289111
I'm just responding cause I heard you give out free (you)s
>>
>>49289126
>implying
>confirmed
>>
>>49289188

Damn straight I do.
>>
>>49289175
how can someone who's been here long enough to be old not be autistic?
>>
>>49289165

I respect that kind of hatred.

It's one that's honed and focused.

Also the "hurr durr lurk murr" anon was being a shithead.

Not cool and not being excellent to each other.
>>
>>49289165

I'm not even mad, just tired of this shit, call him out on being an edgy teenage is fine, insult him and move on, but saying lurk more is stupid and counter productive, if we ever want him to learn how to fit in he needs to actually post and get feedback about his current level of faggotry
>>
>>49289229

Also really drunk, which rereading my posts and seeing all the mistakes is painful, I'm going to bed
>>
>>49289229
Or he could lurk more. It worked for me, I don't have much of a reason to believe it won't work for others. "Lurk more" is still far better advice than "get the fuck out"

>>49289259
No, don't worry about it, it only enhances the quality of the pasta.
>>
>>49289229
That's write, anyone who doesn't get the meaning of lurking is far to autistic to realize their own faggotry. That and shitting on them as they post is much more fun.
>>
>>49289292
Shitting on things is my main hobby
>>
>>49289287
> "Lurk more" is still far better advice than "get the fuck out"

You know what is even better advice?

People not being shitheads and having a discussion aside from "lol lurk moar like they do on my /a/ board"

The biggest problem I saw in that exchange was people being a little quick on the "edgy" gun
>>
>>49289292

The problem comes from the autistic people on this board who LITERALLY won't post until they've found out every single inside joke and meme that tg has every come up with

Like they probably spend their free time looking through the archives just to make sure they know every little thing so they make sure they fit in when they finally post

Then these fuckers get pissed that someone has the audacity to post without putting the same time and effort into it as they did, like it legitimately triggers their autism, they would feel cheated if we accepted that other person who didn't even have to try
>>
File: 4chan_Left.jpg (77KB, 750x600px) Image search: [Google]
4chan_Left.jpg
77KB, 750x600px
>>49289342
Boohoo, some edgy faggot heard the truth and was told to lurk moar.
>Where do you think you are.png
>>
>>49289342

Nigga I'm the guy who wrote the bigass wall of text and it is an undeniable fact that the guy was being edgy, like he might not of noticed and hes probably underage so it's fine but I'll be damned if I'm not calling him out on it
>>
>>49289342
Did you read the story? It's literally about watching women slowly bleed to death for entertainment. That's seriously edgy.

>>49289387
This is true, but lurking for at least a month or so is still a good idea. Observing from the outside is a great way to learn about a community before diving in.
>>
>>49289387
you know what the best part of that is? when you tell him to lurk moar after he's read every post in the last 10 years and all that he has left is his autism and impotent rage. By the way, Lurk moar faggit.
>>
>>49289428

Eh, he was definitely on the edge, but it also didn't feel like a troll post either (which was the immediate followup when the edgelord didn't see the edge he was on)
>>
>>49289433
It took me all of two days to learn the 101's of 4chan: "Being a dick is just banter", "Back your shit up with facts", and "Don't post in threads you don't like". I'm autistic and I got that in a flash, what's everyone else's problem?
>>
File: bait_fishing_pole.png (90KB, 500x501px) Image search: [Google]
bait_fishing_pole.png
90KB, 500x501px
>>49289441

Man youre not even shit posting, your just legitimately retarded, I kind of feel bad, have you tried seeking medical help?
>>
>>49289433
> It's literally about watching women slowly bleed to death

Wow I misread that part. I thought he was being stupid whiteknight with chicks and letting the dudes bleed out.
>>
>>49289387
>The problem comes from the autistic people on this board who LITERALLY won't post until they've found out every single inside joke and meme that tg has every come up with

Fucking this. If you like roleplaying games then fucking talk about roleplaying games. You don't need to know the ins and outs of memes and shit. If you like like an asshole then you get called out for being an asshole.
>>
>>49289470
The whole reason I waited about two years to post on /tg/ is because I didn't have a reason to post. I was fine with just reading stories and snagging pdfs
>>
>>49287948
>Specifically bleeding women to death
>Unironically using more than one punctuation mark
Look,I get you're new here,but what difference could it make if you just said you were bleeding enemies to death?(See?Just one question mark gets the point across )Specifiying that it was women just makes you sound like a creep or something
>>
>>49289470

Because some of the people who post here have nothing to validate their existence besides the fact that they post here so they have to make it seem like it's big deal and you need to work hard for it
>>
>>49289433

>but lurking for at least a month or so is still a good idea

Not at all. It's better for people to be called out on their bullshit and learn from living rather than learn from being afraid.
>>
>>49289500

Nah, people go to boards for a reason beyond "lol 4chan"

They just want to fit in.
>>
>>49288456
Kill yourself faggot.
>>
>>49289085
Pretty sure octopi are unable to punch
>>
File: fca_1_.jpg (161KB, 466x478px) Image search: [Google]
fca_1_.jpg
161KB, 466x478px
>>49289523

>90% of thread literally about this
>doesn't even bother to read
>goes right into shit posting

Like clockwork
>>
I hate all of you.
>>
File: 1380648284657.jpg (173KB, 516x480px) Image search: [Google]
1380648284657.jpg
173KB, 516x480px
>>49289546

Then why are you here?

Seriously, is someone holding a gun to your head

Is someone holding your family hostage

Is there a bomb in your computer that will go off if you don't go to 4chan for a certain amount of time every day

If the answer to all these questions is no then youre a fucking moron
>>
>>49289546
Aw, thanks buddy. I hate you too. <3
>>
>>49289544
He should've lurked moar, in the thread
>>
>>49288966
>>49289229
>>49289342
What a fag.

Probably a manlet too.
>>
OP returning here. I'm having a god natured lol at all the bleeding butthurt going around here. Got to witness the birth of a pasta- that was nice. I've been on 4chan since 2008, and still don't really think of myself as an oldfag, but don't fret newfriends, /tg/ is more or less the same as its always been. Occasionally trolled, but mostly good at turning things around into productive discussion. In my day trolling was largely centered on alignment threads, which led to moral debates which were a combination of sophisticated arguments laced with "you dumb fucking shitbag". At any rate, might I suggest you all don't get your jimmies rustled about whether telling someone to lurk moar is a breach of "etiquette" on /tg/?

>>49289079
>>49289130
>>49288446
>>49288412
Yes, I'm familiar with the DnD stats of a punch dagger, which is generally equated with a Katar, but if its meaningfully different in terms of weapon physics I'd like to know precisely how. What does the wider blade base do for it, which a dagger lacks? How does the orientation of the blade change the tactical physics associated with it?

I accept it is not a good choice for direct combat. But many assassin tools remained universal across all cultures- such as a garrote. Daggers of course are universal. But not katar. Why is that? Are they deficient in some way compared to normal daggers? If so, in what way? Are they better maille breakers than ordinary daggers?
>>
Oh lawd this is a quality thread. Well done Mr. Troll. I had a hardy laugh
>>
>katar
>cutter
like poetry
>>
>>49287750
Everyone and their mums used them as backup weapon according to period illustrations of war hosts.
>>
>>49289982
for it to break mail it would have to have a thick rigid blade with a tip pointy enough to actually go trough a ring of mail and burst it from the inside.
The examples i've seen online when searching katar had more of a broad blade and tip so they wouldn't work well against armor.
Also daggers and knives were popular becausse they were very easy to carry which a katar isn't
>>
Actual reasons they weren't popular:

Not much use as anything other than a weapon. Knives were the most common tools used throughout most of history. Everyone had a knife and the skill of making normal knives was widespread.

Not able to use sword and grappling techniques. Most fighting men would be familiar with polearm, sword and grappling as their main fighting skills. Knives were mostly either used like small swords or as a nasty form of leverage in a grapple.

Not as easy to make a normal knife. Besides needing a special skill-set to manufacture, a katar uses more metal and is an inherently weaker design than a typical knife. Having the hilt split in two and take multiple right angle turns is a lot more trouble than just having it stick out from the back of the blade.

Not quite as convenient to carry as a normal knife. For the same reach, a katar needs to be heavier, due to effectively having more material in the handle and a slightly worse reach for a given blade length. Also, the handle makes it inconveniently top-heavy when carried in the common tip-down method.

Not as flexible a weapon. A normal knife can be used in many ways. You can use it in a 'shiv' fashion to strike powerful blows against someone in full body contact with you. You can reverse the grip to hit someone behind you or get someone you are grappling in the back or strike an extra powerful blow from above. You can add a second hand or push it in with your torso if you need more strength than a single hand can provide. You can throw it, if you're really desperate. You can stick it in someone and then use it as a handle to twist them around in a grapple. You can use it while wearing gauntlets designed for a sword. You can carry it in a hand which is also holding a shield or buckler.
>>
>>49288839

I'm going to say that you're from reddit.
>>
Katars are the fucking best, my rogue dual wield them and it kicks some serious ass
>>
File: pata.jpg (55KB, 800x599px) Image search: [Google]
pata.jpg
55KB, 800x599px
While we're on the subject, how about these pieces of shit?

According to wikipedia, people would actually dual wield them and brawl like retarded infants
>>
>>49288629
/pol/'s antics got some serious press for once and suddenly the entire board is flooded with reddit. This explains the massive uptake in newfag accusations and an enormous rise in time wasted arguing such shit.

If you are new, lurk. Please lurk and learn to contain your autism because it will be shat on.

If you are not, chill. Please give autismo posts the bare minimum degree of attention and don't turn our threads into shitfests.
>>
>>49287614
can use with the hand you don't wipe with after visiting a designated street
>>
>>49289212
You just get tired of the repetition.
>>
>/tg/ has gotten so shitty that even "lurk moar faggot" can derail a thread.

Feels bad man.
>>
>>49287614
Because they're dumb weapons for dumb children.
>>
File: 1458324358434.jpg (267KB, 768x923px) Image search: [Google]
1458324358434.jpg
267KB, 768x923px
Katars are impractical but also the coolest.
>>
>>49287614
>khatar and d20

I guess so you can shiv your DM in his ribs when he kills your character?
>>
>>49288647
Nah. It wasn't. It was refreshingly sincere. Not that there weren't assholes but typically they'd get self policed out.
>>
>>49289588
I'm now going to make a fan movie that's literally the entire plot of Speed except the bomb will go off if a newfag doesn't stop lurking.
>>
>>49291568
But India also had daggers- in particular the Kukri. So why not just use daggers? The Katar must have offered SOME advantage, right?
>>
File: 20150110_171246.jpg (2MB, 4160x2340px) Image search: [Google]
20150110_171246.jpg
2MB, 4160x2340px
>>49295208
>Tipu Sultan's magic box, South India 1780
>It is a mystery how this object was used, but each of the twenty equilateral triangular faces bears a number in Arabic that facilitated mathematical calculations first established by the ancient Greeks.

Confirmed: Dungeons and Chimeras, 0th edition.

Also I found this thing at the metropolitan, if you were wondering.
>>
>>49288456
lurkmoar fucklord
>>
File: furries.jpg (2MB, 1200x1733px) Image search: [Google]
furries.jpg
2MB, 1200x1733px
>>49296353
More like Tombs and Djinns, 0th edition

Have some illustrations from Djinn Manual, 0th edition
>>
>>49288629
>that pic

Oh will you stop fucking posting that whiny bullshit?
>>
>>49296478
I post an honest to goodness d20 artifact from ancient india and you're more concerned about what a troll said yesterday? seriously?
>>
File: image.jpg (33KB, 405x650px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
33KB, 405x650px
>>49288928
Underrated post
>>
>>49291568
So what advantage did the Katar offer at all, that might incline one to use it instead of a Kukri?
>>
>>49299232
Don't ever question why Indians did any of the things they did, you won't get anywhere
>>
>>49299553
hardeharhar designated shitting street clearly these aren't people and just cartoons. Aren't you clever.

No seriously. If its a strictly dominated option, it wouldn't have persisted or reached popularity. Yet if it were a strictly dominant option it would be global. I'm curious what the middle ground is.
>>
>>49289101
If you're such an oldfag, then give us a triforce, you big pansy.
>>
>>49288153

No, swords tend to be longer. They get more momentum and thus energy on a slashing strike due to wrist action and weight distribution. They have like 3x the range of motion.

Katars have none of the benefits of the dagger and none of the benefits of the sword. They look cool. That's it.
>>
>>49291695
I want one of those for my penis.
>>
>>49299232
Kukuris are choppas, katar are stabby.

Katar are probably good against unarmoured targets because the wide blade would open a nasty hole and the punching action would let you sewing machine the fucker until they were a mess.
>>
First weapons just have very little application in combat that isn't staged for spectacle.

Brass knuckles, and knuckle daggers have purpose, but trying to punch with a sword basically strapped to your forearm is just unwieldy compared to spears/swords.
>>
>>49287850
There's a pun about trolls and regeneration in here, but I can't be arsed to make it.
>>
>>49303768
Don't katars have 8" blades? Hardly a sword.
>>
File: 1465848367458.jpg (155KB, 500x492px) Image search: [Google]
1465848367458.jpg
155KB, 500x492px
>>49292684
I don't know which /pol/ event you're referring to, but reddit has been flooding in for years regardless of that board's ups and downs. You might think bringing up /pol/ is a clever ruse but it's not.
>>
>>49288928
Thanks for at least trying to get this shitty thread back on track. If your crabman is a real thing I would love to hear about him
>>
>>49289982
How about if they get a bonus to poison? Poisons applied on them either last longer or poison the enemy with more reliability due to the wider/specially shaped blade.
>>
>>49304980
Except applying poisons to weapons is about the least efficient use of poison ever.

There exist basically no poisons that have immediate effect. Even nerve gas takes about 30 seconds to disable you, and that's the upper limit of chemical weaponry. Poison just isn't something that gives you an edge in a fight. Its main use is to 1) kill the fucker slowly so you're miles away when he drops, or 2) If you want a sure kill and only have one opportunity to get a shot in- typically ranged.

Poisoned shuriken make sense. They do almost no damage, but at least they give you range. Blowguns are infinitely more practical though. Poisoned daggers? You must be extremely desperate to get in knife fighting range of a guy you expect to survive several minutes.
>>
I had a character that used a katar. It was in a homebrewed sci-fi setting and the character was incredibly fast and agile. He'd cannonball into someone katar first and just punch right through armor. Later he got a shock upgrade that allowed him to stun with it instead of killing.

>>49305205
I always liked the use of poisoned blades in Dune. The bad guy's blade had a soporific tranquilizer on it that would cause muscles to numb after a cut and slow the reactions of the target, and the good guy had a mild acid that caused a burning sensation. It was used to mindfuck the bad guy.
>>
>>49298354

Trolls look for any opportunity to troll
>>
I would rather just get a bladed cestus instead.
Thread posts: 135
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.