[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 364
Thread images: 24

File: Tiamat_1920X1080v2.jpg (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Tiamat_1920X1080v2.jpg
2MB, 1920x1080px
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed) (embed)

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Previous Edition: >>49268316

Who cares which classes or races are core at this point edition?
>>
>>49279972
>Who cares which classes or races are core at this point edition?
spergs
>>
Warlocks are core. And the best.
>>
>>49279972
The ones in the PHB.
Sorry, but nearly nobody in these threads beyond maybe one or two people was even BORN yet when the original "core classes" is all there were to pick from and anyone complaining about it is just trying to find something new to whine about that isn't Rangers and Warlocks.

Apparently not enough people on /5eg/ play enough games to discuss the content of them on here.
>>
>>49280030

I'm one year older than D&D.
>>
I'm trying to think of a neat defensive mechanic that's not a clone of a class feature, spell, or feat and doesn't just add a flat amount of AC. I'm trying to design a magic item to give to a cleric PC that just got to level 11 who has become the de-facto front-liner for my players.
>>
>>49280098
Congrats, you're one of the two.
Though I'm guessing you started playing late 1e at best?
>>
>>49280129
okay
>>
>>49280129
Cantrip, deals 1d8 damage, and adds that many temporary hitpoints to a friendly of your choice.
>>
>>49280030

Friendly Reminder that Thief was never intended as a core class.
>>
>>49280129
give us more info,
you looking for static bonus?
a reaction mechanic?
what type of cleric?
what god do they worship?
any relevant campaign stuff we should be aware of?
>>
>>49280137

Basic D&D in late 1983(I got the red box for Xmas). We didn't play it correctly and my first DM was my friend's asshole older brother. We died a lot even back then because he didn't want to DM for us but his parents made him or he could host games for his friends in their garage.

I haven't played constantly since then. In and out. I quit completely in my late teens through late 20s because drugs and pussy seemed more important at the time. Got older and stopped thinking with my dick and got interested in playing again but very sporadically....5E pulled me back for real when I read the PHB though.
>>
>>49280129
How about letting them Dodge as a bonus action after casting a healing spell, or letting them cast a bonus action spell after Dodging.
>>
>>49280298
>you looking for static bonus?
No, it should require the character to do something.
>a reaction mechanic?
Probably a bonus action. Nothing too huge, because I think her problems could be solved if she'd take advantage of her domain abilities to push enemies around and then would move to a safer position.
>what type of cleric?
Tempest.
>what god do they worship?
Sovereign Host. I allow anything but Death domain for worshippers of the Sovereign Host even though Tempest wouldn't traditionally fall under their portfolio.
>any relevant campaign stuff we should be aware of?
Some intelligent or just really vicious enemies will double tap if you're down and they have more attacks left. I run high-damage low-HP encounters. I gave the character a set of armor that gives her the Tough feat and allows her to heal for proficiency + Wisdom mod when she uses Wrath of the Storm.

>>49280466
Casting a cure in combat is going to be a waste of a turn considering my encounter style. I want fast fights, which means glass-cannon type of enemies relative to the PCs.
>>
Is there any kind of shortened rules thing for players? I'm gonna be DMing for some friends in a few weeks and I know they won't read a long document, but I figured my chances would be higher for something short.
>>
Newb here. The additional HP gained from leveling up, is it just straight up the hit die roll + constitution modifier?
>>
>>49280543
Yes, unless you take the average amount that the book lists instead.

Hill Dwarf (+1 per level) and the Tough feat (+2 per level) adjust the calculation.
>>
>>49280541
just tell them to read their classes. if they can't even be bothered to do that then there's no hope.

Most of the info they will need is in their classes, or will point to what relevant rules to search for (such as "reaction" or "concentration")
>>
>>49280541
Look up the Starter Set rules or the Basic Rules
>>
>>49280137
I am about 4 years older than OD&D, Started with the 1e Orange Spine editions around '84
>>
>>49280129
How about a mechanic that magnetizes an enemy? Examples of how this could play out:
+AC vs targets hit by lightning
Bonus Action to push/pull enemy hit by lightning
Force enemies you hit with lightning to convert half their damage to lightning (can be abused with resistance)
etc
>>
>>49280701
>+AC vs targets hit by lightning
I don't like messing with bounded accuracy. So far she thinks having plate plus a shield should make her invincible, and no matter how good her AC is, the dice sometimes don't work in your favor.
>Bonus Action to push/pull enemy hit by lightning
Tempest clerics can do that with their level 6 feature without a bonus action.
>Force enemies you hit with lightning to convert half their damage to lightning (can be abused with resistance)
That's an option but I think if she concentrates on protection from energy all the time, I would play the NPCs as smart enough to go after more threatening targets since she'll be down to weapon + divine strike for damage output most of the time.
>>
>>49280541

Here's One
>>
File: 5e Cheat Sheet.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
5e Cheat Sheet.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>49280541

heres another
>>
>>49280541

Last one....I have more but I'm lazy.
>>
>>49279972
I'm new to DMing but I've currently got a party that wants to long rest following every encounter. How do you guys know when you should interrupt these rests and how would you handle this sort of behavior?
>>
>>49280924

Per the rules they can't gain any benefit from more than one long rest per day.
>>
>>49280924
Where are they taking them? Are your encounters in a safe town, after which they just wait around all day then go to sleep?
>>
>>49280830
What if when she pushes someone with a spell/feature they can't move within 5ft of her until her next turn.
If she's having trouble with people getting through her AC then maybe something that gives her temporary HP would be the way to go.
>>
>>49280924
Long Rests are REALLY long.
That's 8 hours of doing nothing basically. If they're on ANY kind of timetable at all then a full Long Rest shouldn't be taken lightly.
>>
>>49280602
>>49280626
Alright. Reading rules for their classes sounds like a good idea, so I'll try that. Hopefully they'll at least do that.

>>49280626
I'll look through it, thanks.

>>49280869
>>49280882
>>49280917
Thanks mane. Looks pretty nice, might try em out.
>>
>>49281042
Either wilderness or in dungeons. Last night they literally rested in a dead end corridor of a dungeon with no lights. They specifically stated they were extinguishing their light before starting.
>>
>>49281331
Have em get attacked by shit. That's like someone setting up camp in a closet in your house. You'd be upset, right?
>>
>>49281331
Well first off, they can't just sleep whenever they want. You can only have one long rest per day. Secondly, you should be using random encounters. When they are in a dungeon, shit doesn't just stay in one room; it moves about. Same with the wilderness. Theres owlbears and shit out there
>>
>>49281341
That's the plan. I'm just worried about TPKing them so early. Especially with them being new. At the same time, I'm not sure they'll understand WHY they're being attacked since I've made them do fights during their rets before and they didn't seem to care.

I think I'll step the danger level in the roaming encounters up some. Thanks for the help guys. Also thanks for letting me know about this >>49281010
>>
Alright guys, I somehow led my party into time travel.

How badly did I fuck up on a scale of 1 to "Janeway"?

Like, I don't even know how to rectify what they do in the past with what will happen when they go back to the future (yes I at least have a way for them to do that).

>>49281331
Short rests I let my adventurers get away with. But long rests in places like this are easily solved: have them be attacked. If it's a dangerous place then if they camp for 8 hours something bad will likely take notice.

My adventurers tried to camp in a side room of an old dwarven cavern long abandoned. They had already seen signs of something not right but camped anyhow (fought a troll at entrance). Guess who got a shit load of goblins in their face that night?
>>
>>49281406
To have the "why" you have to make it atmospheric. For example, one of them is awoken, or the watch I assume they set, hears something sniffing approaching. Turns out they were tracked there, having stayed in one spot so long, by some beast/group. Make sure the encounter makes sense for the location and make them understand that and it shouldn't be a problem.
>>
>>49281419
I can see allowing a couple short rests, but more than that seems kinda shady. It'd be hard to not notice Froggy the Goblin and his pals Eight-toes and Panhead not appearing for afternoon cannibalism, and once you went looking, it'd be easy to find the source of the problem.
>>
>>49281419
The only problem is that they built a party of three full casters and so after they blow their wad they end up with nothing they can do. I'm worried I'll wipe them if I hit them with real threats. But at the same time I want them to learn to manage resources instead of nuke every dire weasel they see.

I told them at the end of the session last night that I'm done pulling punches and that they're gonna have real challenges from now on.
>>
>>49281511
Well yea, if they are getting excessive and doing them in really weird places I definitely do something.

But generally if it's a dangerous area but there shouldn't be anything that would pop up in about 30 mins, they can get away with it. For example, back to the abandoned dwarven cavern, assuming no one was seen and none of the denizens of that area were murdered recently, probably no one would know they are there right away.

>>49281515
Cantrips should be able to get them through most easier to medium encounters. Even casters also have weapons. Balance the encounters for their level. Also if one's a warlock then that caster has eldritch blast and their load is far from ever blown.
>>
>>49280924
In general the game is set up for 2 short rests and 1 long rest per day. I recommend any resting during the "working hours" of the locals should be interrupted unless the party really needs the rest. I'm only "punitive" with long rest encounters when they don't bother to post a watch or something.

I'm DMing Curse of Strahd right now and my party likes resting in the wilderness. They will eventually learn (and stop raining 20s on me), and in towns normally things are on a tighter timeline.

Dungeons also help the issue, they've been used since he beginning of TTRPGs for a reason.
>>
>>49280543
Yeah, just remember that if that con modifier changes it also affects what the modifier was for every previous level, so at level 8 if you increase your con from +3 to +4 you gain +7 extra HP.
>>
>>49281713
Thanks a lot for that info!
>>
>>49279972
I recently started a homebrew campaign over the summer but haven't had much chance to play it, we have only done three sessions so far. I want to run SKT now because I don't have time to write adventures.

The party are level 4, so I could make them level 5 and start at chapter 2 of the book. Thing is, I like the first chapter a lot (and low level adventures in general), so I'd rather have then start fresh at level 1. I'm pretty sure the players are annoyed by the character creation process though.

The other problem is changing campaign settings. I'm not too into the idea of the PCs just being retconned into the Forgotten Realms.
>>
>>49282739
>The other problem is changing campaign settings. I'm not too into the idea of the PCs just being retconned into the Forgotten Realms.

Then make up similar locations for your own setting and use them.
>>
>>49280129
Choose target ally. For up to one minute, the next time that ally is targeted directly with an attack or harmful spell, you may swap your positions with that ally and take the attack in their stead.
>>
>>49280924
How would you deal with an employee who wanted to sleep for eight hours after every meeting?
>>
>>49280924
On a roll of a 17 or higher on the die something happens that interrupts the rest, usually wandering monsters. In any event, they can only benefit from a long rest once per day anyway (they have to wait 16+ hours to benefit again from it) and if they keep trying to abuse, just make a DM call and either say they can't or just throw something dangerous at them.
>>
How do you identify magic items?
Are AoOs a thing as a standard course of things?
Can damage interrupt spells?
>>
>>49283870
>How do you identify magic items?

By casting Identify or, if you can attune to them, take a short rest to attune to them which should tell you everything you need to know unless the DM rules otherwise

>can damage interrupt spells?
It'll force the creature to pass a concentration check if they're concentrating on a spell iirc. If they fail it, the spell drops.
>>
>>49283870
>How do you identify magic items?
identify spells or a short rest
>Are AoOs a thing as a standard course of things?
yes
>Can damage interrupt spells?
they can potentially break concentration spells
>>
Just played my first session of a new campaign. My character is a dragonborn paladin/warlock, dressed in a suit and tie, with a 1911 in a shoulder holster. Anyone want to hear the story?
>>
>>49283870
You identify them by using them or casting the "identify" spell on them.

AoOs are a thing (tied into your reaction but it's a bit more limited than previous editions).

You have to take a feat (Mage Slayer) to do that.
>>
Ok, I'm new to the game, and I suddenly realized I had to GM if I wanted to even play once. So I actually gathered up some people to play, but as I improvised the story of the first session, now I'm in a position where I need a BBGE,because I have now only like 3 midbosses. Things went like this:

>some people pressured me into being a DM
>I accept; how difficult could it be?
>"by the way, learn the whole thing this week; we want to play the sunday"
>fuggggg
>I actually memorized it, but getting the rules and everything into my brain made me forget about the story and how to glue the party together
>day arrives, people start doing their characters
>no time to plan; just roll with the first enemies I find in the manual
>I land on the pit fiend's page; there's other devils there but I pick that one first
>"anon, we're ready!"
>quickly bullshit some reason for it to be in the world
>"ok, you all joined a secret cult because you wanted to belong into something, as you were all outcasts (they picked up 2 drows, one half-orc and one tiefling)"
>"you didn't knew this particular cult was about infernal pacts or some shit like that, so you got stunned when you got just in time to see a human sacrifice happening"
>"they succeeded to summon a... uh... Pit Fiend, but you didn't stayed to even witness that; the mere sacrifice turned you all down off of this shit"
>in their way out, they had to battle some of the cultists that weren't focused on the ritual

Continuing.
>>
>>49283895
fuck it, i'll post anyway

>be me, Clavarin Pallock, founder of the Oakblades, defender of the forest
>perish in battle
>be entombed, given great honors
>a sacred sword is buried beside me
>decades pass
>wake up to find a god or some shit offering me immortality
>in exchange, I have to fight in a war
>accept, since immortality sounds cool
>god disappears
>arise, take the sword
>go grab some adventuring gear
>a week passes
>suddenly transported to a plain white void
>god dude is there, along with a group of strangers
>>
>>49283919
>when they were almost out of the place, they find the Pit Fiend in front of them, looking for someone or something
>they decide to look for an alternate exit, so they go back and they find every cultist has been murdered
>"it was probably the fiend", they think, as I indicate there's a locked door nearby
>they decide to loot the corpses to find a key, and they find it, along with some weird trinkets
>at that point, the Pit Fiend comes to the room, sees them and they quickly go to the door
>the key wasn't even the one of that door
>they think they have to fight the Pit Fiend (lol)
>the fiend notices the tiefling with one of the trinkets and tells her if "she was the one who summoned him"
>she rolls with it and says yes
>the fiend tells her that, as a gift for letting him into this plane, he will spare their lives, and he'll also give them one of his treasured weapons
>he then fucks off and leaves a black sword on the ground
>if they ever use it and kill 13 creatures with it, it will unleash another devil that is imprisoned into the very same weapon; but they don't know it and think it's just a +1 sword or something
>this new devil will not pay attention to the party and will fuck off inmediately to assist the Pit Fiend in whatever he's doing at the moment; I still don't know what I should do with them, really

Now I need a big-ass Hellish nigga that could command the fiends into letting him into this plane or something, but my knowledge of D&D monsters is incredibly limited. Wat do?
>>
>>49279972
How does /tg/ feel about multiclassing?
Is there a beat level to do it?
What are the best clases to multiclass into?

I'd prefer serious answers if I can get them :D
>>
Friendly reminder that if you unironically play Champion Fighter you are an idiot.
>>
Anyone have "Treasure of the Broken Hoard?"
>>
Anybody know if DND 5th ed has been translated to Spanish? I wanna get into DND or tabletop something but I live in Mexico and don't have many friends who are fluent in burger runes nor the patience to translate the rulebooks for them.
>>
>>49284003
You playing STK?
>>
>>49284003
How do you play something ironically?
>>
>>49283929
>a human druid, who we’ll call Forestbro
>a halfling rogue with a staff twice her height, who we’ll call Halfling
>a cleric, who we’ll call Medic
>a warlock, who we’ll call Bob
>a sorceror, who we’ll call Weeb
>and a ten year old girl wizard in a straitjacket, who we’ll call Waifu
>god dude is there; his name’s Gao
>he tells us we’re going to go defend a realm that lacks magic of its own
>we’re to stop an incursion into this realm, since it can’t defend itself
>this will be very dangerous
>accept anyway
>immediately transported into a small modern living room, just across the street from Central Park
>on the couch are three people
>they introduce themselves as the gods of this realm
>they tell us that a demonic realm is attempting to merge with this one, and we need to save it
However…
>death may be permanent
>our weapons, equipment, and appearance will draw attention
>under no circumstances can the people of this realm learn of the existence of magic. This real is only stable because of the Masquerade, a veil over everything magical. Tearing the veil will fuck shit up
>>
>>49284029
he means "having fun"
>>
>>49284017
Never.
Ever.

Nigga, just tell them what their abilities do, and translate the names of the monsters with whatever bullshit you find more appropiate (like "beholder" as espectador, el ojote, el mirón, etc).
It works for me.
At the end of the day, it's all just reduced to dices and numbers, independently from names.
>>
>>49284003
Well, what are you playing then?
>>
>>49276929

Yeah, I'm scared about my new group, too. If I can get them to play, it will be their first TTRPG. I'll try to see if I can entice them into the roleplaying side a couple levels in and then wing it from there.
>>
>>49283944
you don't have to put yourself in that mindset that you need to have a certain number of mini bosses and final boss
but i could see the pit fiend coming back, making demands and being an enemy, or the rest of the cult
>>
>>49284029
Don't ask him, he doesn't know.
He never responds to questions; he comes onto the thread, posts his troll message, leaves, and then you idiots bite down like it was a Hershey's bar.
>>
>>49284156
As I improvised everything, I failed to see the bigger picture, and I'm honestly worried about the future of the campaign.
The cult and the devil will come back later, that's for sure. But I still don't know how to make them fit into a bigger threat or something.
>>
File: story1.jpg (12KB, 236x236px) Image search: [Google]
story1.jpg
12KB, 236x236px
>>49284069
>they hand each of us a ring and a wallet
>the ring will divert attention from us in very minor ways, in addition to providing us access to the most common knowledge of this realm and allowing us to speak all its languages
>the wallet will take the form of any type of identification, drawing its form from the mind of whoever we present it to
>in addition, we each get a duffel bag with a change of clothes and 250,000USD
>we begin doffing armor, changing clothes
>gods enchant my halberd so I can shrink it at will
>set Holy Avenger as my pact weapon
>Gao informs us that he would like to ease us into this world, but there’s a situation developing and we need to be wheels up in thirty
>whole party is desperately confused at the concept of air travel and the clothing, weaponry and customs of this new world
>we ask the year
>2016
>>
>>49284227
A pit fiend is threat big enough. You should worry about what they have to fece until they are powerful enough to face it.

Their redeeming deeds, from demonic cultists to saviors of the kingdom, should be a good enough story.
>>
>>49284107
Bear Totem Warrior Barbarian
>>
>>49284227
i wouldn't suggest planning that far ahead, they might not even use the sword or care about the pit fiend at all, remember you aren't writing a novel
>>
>>49284280
>>49284303
I guess you're right and I'm trying to get too much planned. It's gonna be enough of a threat for a good amount of sessions, I believe. I should just take what we have now and add little things to it every now and then. That will help me to not railroad, too.

Thanks for the advice, homies.
>>
File: story2.jpg (463KB, 2641x1721px) Image search: [Google]
story2.jpg
463KB, 2641x1721px
>>49284273
>Gao hurries us all into a limo outside
>hands each of us a smartphone
>instantly exposed to more knowledge than we could possibly comprehend
>sit there completely bewildered
>attempt to figure out why so many are mourning the death of a gorilla
>arrive at the airport
>board private jet
>give Gao a list of supplies to acquire
>mix between functional gear and items we’re curious about
>handguns
>knives
>traveler’s checks
>laptops
>Halfling orders injectable sedatives
>Weeb orders a maid outfit
>I order a suit and tie
>Gao promises to have everything but the weapons waiting when we land
>>
>>49284301
Badass, one of my favorites. How's the game going anyway?
Your GM any decent?
>>
>>49280137
Six years older than D&D, quit over 3e, never tempted by the awful 4e, 5e drew me back into GMing.

I really feel this game doesn't need a plethora of classes (or races really). As a DM i can design a race if I want more of them.
Everything else is just splatbook encouragement for worthless munchkins.
>>
File: 1418182726638.jpg (88KB, 693x448px) Image search: [Google]
1418182726638.jpg
88KB, 693x448px
What's this from and where do I find the rest of it?
>>
>>49284385
It's about the best D&D comic ever made.

http://readcomiconline.to/Comic/Dungeons-Dragons-2010
>>
>>49283989
I find that most character ideas I would have considered multiclassing for in previous editions are more or less covered this time around due to the variety offered from paths, and for the rest I'm usually willing to settle so that I don't miss out on ASI/feats.
>>
>>49284424
I feel you've got the right of it. People usually just multiclass as an exploit/way to nova on DMs who don't keep up consistent encounters.

There's a good path for nearly everything; once they have a Rogue that can use divine stuff all the bases will be pretty well covered.
And for the record, I feel that homebrew Paladin paths are consistently the worst.
>>
Do succubi and incubi work via sexual orientation or gender?

I have a lesbian PC to try to seduce.
>>
>>49284383
>Everything else is just splatbook encouragement for worthless munchkins.

I want to be more gracious and accepting of alternative playstyles, but I can't help but agree with this one.
Never seen it anywhere except theorycrafters and people trying to "win" D&D.
>>
>>49284519
Is it a fat dude playing a lesbian?
Because I really feel this is super-likely.
Also: ew
>>
>>49284533
>Is it a fat dude playing a lesbian?
Duh?
>>
>>49284519
They can shapeshift, so probably orientation.
Technically there isn't a difference between succubi and incubi other then what shape it happens to be in at the time you run into it.
>>
>>49284531
Heh, I don't really care if people want to use an "official" race of Catgirls with +10 Racial Dex bonus.

What kills me are the prospective players who feel "entitled" to play them whatever my feelings as DM.
>>
>>49284519
ah but anon gender is a social construct created by the man and bla bla bla...

grily bits = succubi
meat and two vegg = incubi
>>
Planning on using a Revenant in a game tomorrow to fuck with the players for murder hobo-ing. He's going to turn people a new city they come across against the players. Any thoughts on what else a vengeful spirit can do? Giving it some class levels to mimic what it was in life.
>>
>>49284605
Prepare measures specifically against the party, after all they have fought the party before and would know their abilities.
>>
>>49284605
Do you feel this will actually discourage murdering?
If not, maybe put them in a setting where their style of play is more acceptable culturally, maybe something a bit more Fury-Road-ish.

You aren't gonna convince anyone to "play nice" in your genteel setting by harassing them with a monster. And they already know you can "beat them up", you are the all-powerful game-master.

Turn it into "Players vs the Gamemaster" and they may play elsewhere.
>>
>>49284660
This guy has already lost, I feel.

The only two answers are usually
A. Get new players
B. Run a setting more in tune to the players style of play.

That's why the DM's Guide suggests you learn what the Players like.
>>
File: Flesh+Blood.jpg (36KB, 500x214px) Image search: [Google]
Flesh+Blood.jpg
36KB, 500x214px
>>49284605
In short, if this is your Party, run your game like the Rutger Hauer movie.
>>
have any of you tried running 3e campaigns in 5e? i imagine the conversion isn't super difficult, but, to those of you who have had success, could offer any tips or potential snags you've came up with?
>>
>>49284605
we encountered one of these when we inadvertently killed the wrong guy
>story if you want
he proved to be an issue mostly through virtue of being un-killable and appearing at exactly the wrong moments

at first we're like Ooo a zombie, kill it

next night, same zombie... ok I see how this works. kill it, burn and salt the ashes.

a few days pass, and it's back, wearing a different body, and with a few skeletons...

after killing it the cleric is dispatched to work out what is this, and how to make it bugger off.
he learns things, we make a plan...

next time, instead of killing it we tie it to an anchor and drop it in the ocean, problem solved!

next day we're sent to route out vampires,
we do, we're just about to sit down for a post fight bandaging when...
scratch, scratch, boom!
guess who popes out of one of the coffins...
the list go's on...

the current plan is to trap it in a another dimension, failing that I'm looking into linchdom, I mean, If I'm dead I'm off the list right?
>>
>>49283989

multiclassing is pretty unnecessary in 5e, to be honest

I only tend to do it if I want to pick up something from 1st level because I think it would fit. Taking a level of Rogue for instance, just to get Proficiency and actually be good at whatever your job is.
>>
>>49284815
I use a feat that gives Specialization in a Skill and +1 to the stat it's based on; it handles that very neatly.
>>
>>49279972
does anyone have the pdf for the monster a day compendium? thx
>>
DMing CoS

There are currently THREE full vampires in our Barovia.

Players are worried
>>
>>49284688
>>49284714
I've murder hobo'd before. It is entertaining when players do it.
I'm not "hey guis, you gotsta be good in this, mkay"
I'm bringing him back as a revenant because it'll be fun for me, and an interesting thorn in their side.

I am adapting to my players. They enjoy my games.
>>49284805
nice story. Sounds like a sucky guy.

>>49284872
I found a link, but not PDF...
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1n1Mu5LoHujvlG3WSIFdAeS7rHndd9A053BipsbPEmJ8/edit#gid=0
>>
>>49284898
How?
>>
>>49284914
>https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1n1Mu5LoHujvlG3WSIFdAeS7rHndd9A053BipsbPEmJ8/edit#gid=0
thanks i have that one, but thta's not the pdf, google sent an dmca cause they are using other people's artworks.
>>
>>49284914
Ok.
You originally made it sound like you were being punitive for player misbehavior.
>>
>>49283989
in the old systems I loved it, but then I love making "things" tm

in 5e, tho you really don't need to,
maybe now and then you need to argue for a background outside those listed for a class
>>
>>49284965
The game itself suggests that the players could easily create their own background or modify an existing one.
>>
>>49284942
Shit. I'm planning on using some stuff from there...
>>49284946
I originally said what I meant. You interpreted.
>>
Are Elemental monks REALLY that bad?

I like the idea of being a blasty monk.
>>
>>49284990
True,
When I say argue, I mean convince the DM it's warranted
>>
>>49285081
Yes they are.
>>
>>49285081
Sun souls monks are the blasty ones. 4L monks just have a fuck ton of inconvenient and expensive tools.
>>
>>49285081
Light monk. AKA DBZ monk.
Still not totally "good", but a more fun idea, and better than elements.
>>
>>49285081
Monk is a solid base. 4 Elements mostly "sucks" because it gives you a bunch of stuff you can't use very much.
>>
Hey, anons, D&D Mystery time. I'm a firm believer in the "Three Clues+" sort of mystery.

> The Setup

Man is infected with a disease that can only be harvested from select fiends on Orcus' home turf, Thanatos. This is a plot to kill him slowly and horribly; it also forces the victim to leave his home unguarded, which was the other point--specifically, to steal his collected research, correspondence, and journal. This correspondence is especially damning, because the man who hired the very special assassin could be traced to that correspondence.

The party should care enough to want to investigate his death--that's taken care of already, especially since it delves into his past quite a bit, as part of his final request (they have to return an amulet that he stole when he was a kid, long story). The party also has financial considerations--the man left them each a share of his inheritance, which isn't gold, but a partial share of a manor in a fairly large metropolis.

Part 2 incoming
>>
>>49285207 cont
> Clue One

The missing journal/correspondence/research. The party is aware of the victim's obsession, locating a legendary sword long lost to time. His research is conspicuously missing.

> Clue Two

The "Incurable" disease. None of the available clerics could defeat this disease, because it's essentially super-Ebola from the depths of the Abyss. The murder weapon, so to speak, is a red herring, because it points to the Cult of Orcus, when, in reality, it was an archmage that the victim was corresponding with. The archmage thought that the victim was getting too close to locating it, and the archmage refused to share any of the sword's power, because the victim is far too nice to use it properly. The archmage--because he's an archmage--summoned forth the fiend, got the disease, and hired a fairly infamous assassin in the metropolis to infect the victim, using several intermediaries to do so, because he didn't get to be an archmage on his looks.

> Clue Three

I'm at a loss as to what this clue could be. It needs to be something.

At some point, when the party has gained several levels and done a lot of other stuff, they're going to start inquiring into the victim's obsession, which will bring them under the attention of the archmage again, who--if all goes well--will attempt to use them to find the item, get it, and then use it to end the world, by duping the party into doing so.

Help on Clue Three? I'm at a loss right now.
>>
>>49285207
Why is the poisoned man forced to leave his residence?
>>
>>49285222
Maybe something from the assassin that was hired. Some rare calling card that could also be a red herring until investigated further.
>>
>>49285242
Because he had to be isolated to avoid the spread of the disease. No one else could reset the arcane wards and such, so the archmage's pets went in and took what they needed. Discovering that is part of the investigation after the fact, however.

>>49285254
That's an idea, actually.
>>
Why are Yak Folk in the new adventure?
Isn't Yikaria in Zakhara?

Zakhara expansion confirmed?
>>
What are druids good at?
>>
>>49285357

level 3
>>
>>49285357
It's a jack of all trades class that accomplishes that via spell casting and wildshape as opposed to skills and tricks.

The druid spell list has a lot of concentration effects, so you tend not to use too many spell slots per encounter.
>>
>>49284362
this story, please stop.
>>
>>49285408
Can it defend itself well or is it reliant on other party members. Thinking of a dwarf druid or cleric of light for the curse of stradh
>>
>>49285348
Because reasons.

In all honesty, they'll probably be detailed in Volo's Guide or something and they wanted a shout out to that
>>
>>49285431

he did, over an hour ago
>>
>>49285459
Depends, Land druids need to use spells and moon druids don't need to "escape" often.
>>
>>49285529
With the SCAG talking about Sossal and Kara-Tur it somehow doesn't surprise me that they'd use a few random Yakfolk as an excuse to talk about Zakhara.
>>
>>49285310
Assassin leaves his/her calling card (even though BBEG told him not to)
When the party finally catches up with the assassin they find them killed by powerful magic (that they learned/will learn that the BBEG can wield.)
>>
>>49284362
This is pretty cool. The idea of a suit and tie wearing paladin in the modern day beating demonic ass sounds fantastic.
>>
>>49284784
I ran Sunless Citadel in 5e like a year ago. With some adjustments and just using 5e's stat blocks it runs great.
>>
>>49285552
If I go for the Druid option I'm thinking circle of land
>>
>>49285459
Moon druids can defend themselves decently.

Land druids need to be proactive about keeping things away like a wizard would, and unlike the wizard, doesn't have something like Shield in an emergency.
>>
>be a sorcerer
>hit 3rd level
>can now potentially deal 64 damage in a single turn (twinned 2nd level Chromatic Orb)

Is there anything that competes with a sorc's burst at pre-level 5? Vengeance Pally with GWM maybe?
>>
>>49285960
Burst? Probably not.
Damage? Moon druid.
>>
>>49285960
You can't cast two spells in a turn, anon.
>>
>>49286039
FCUKING WHOOPS.
>>
>>49285960
It's more realistically going to be 18 damage on 2 targets. That's not so ridiculous.
>>
>>49286039
>>49286058
ya dingus

>>49286003
please explain
>>
>>49286003
>Damage? Moon druid.
>>49286085
>please explain

Not the same anon, but he's probably talking about taking a form with multiattack.
>>
>>49286058
Yep, only way to cast 2 leveled spells in a turn is with a Fighter Dip for Action Surge. Its bretty gud, especially for the armor.
>>
>>49286039
You're wrong for two reasons:

1. You can cast two spells in a turn (even when you cast a spell as a bonus action, the only limit is that the other spell is a cantrip), and

2. Twinned Spell is one casting of a spell that targets two creatures, not casting the spell twice.
>>
>>49279972
Care what's 'core'?
No, because meaningless word.
Automatically allow all races or classes in a campaign?
No, because they don't automatically fit in every campaign, and if a DM says they don't want to use them, that's their prerogative.
(Granted, if I were running, I can't see there being anything in the 5E phb that I'd say no to. I mean, I *might* describe Tieflings as looking like they did in, say, the 2E days, rather than the over-the-top demon person look, but even that feels a step too nitpicky.)
>>
>>49286097
Yeah. I was.
It scales horribly but is pretty cool at 2 to be able to turn into a brown bear and melt people that should be raping you.

Other than that im not crazy about moon druids.
>>
>>49285081
fangs of the fire snake is pretty good, but most of the other features from that true are mediocre.
the ability to knock enemies prone with way of the open hand is also pretty strong, but the rest of the features are handy but not really damaging (except five finger death punch or w/e but that's super later).
I still don't understand how the stealth tree is useful.
>>
How often have you lads used Suggestion? Got any cool stories of it being used?

Last game we used it on a Bandit, the order was "wade into the ocean and swim until you reach the other side"

I don't know if that's a legal use of Suggestion, but it wasn't something that was immediately harmful to the bandit so the GM allowed it.

this was at the end of a combat and the caster didn't break concentration until the spell ended 8 hours later, so assumedly the bandit made it pretty far out there
>>
>>49281419
Dude, there are like a bajillion ways to handle time travel.
There's the 'fixed' approach - the most railroad, where any time they're about to do something that would fuck the timeline, they're just not able to. A giant fireball thrown at an important historical figure somehow misfires and gets thrown skyward, blowing up a random bird that wasn't important, Ray Bradbury notwithstanding.
More useful, of course, there's the 'mostly the same' option. Did they kill Emperor Kang the Glorious, before the big battle? Guess what? He's got a cousin, Kong, who will take the throne, turn out to be an equally-impressive general, governs in the same manner of his cousin for the same amount of time as his cousin, and the history books only have to change one letter and maybe add a sentence about his dead cousin. This is honestly the best course; it can be seen as awfully coincidental, but it keeps history mostly intact, except for whatever minor changes you're most comfortable keeping around.
>>
>>49282783
This.
I'm honestly annoyed that, after 'Princes of the Apocalypse', they haven't bothered giving a little section talking about adapting the adventures for other settings. (Especially because SKT, like Princes, is technically an adventure stolen from Greyhawk, which Princes at least acknowledged). Seriously, they couldn't take four fucking pages to briefly cover it?
I'll admit, I haven't read any of SKT, but if it's positing a big, impressive society of giant royalty, then it's adding something that wasn't really present before to Faerun, which makes me think it wouldn't be hard to find a way to work it into other worlds.
>>
>>49286283
>I still don't understand how the stealth tree is useful.
The shadow teleport is the bread and butter of the way and it enables a lot of ambushes. Everything in that archetype is built around that shadow teleport.
>>
Anyone knows where can I find the book "Cormyr, a novel" to download in english? I found it just in spanish.
>>
>>49284569
Really, shouldn't the girl be the incubi?
And the guy an outcubi?
>>
How do I cleanse new players of bad first-GM experience?

I'm gonna try GMing (For the first time) for some friends pretty soon, and a different friend GMed for them for the last campaign, if you could call it that. They did Mines of Phandelver. The GM treated the rules as lax at best, and did not read them or bother to check if he didn't remember them at worst. Never described anything and used GM fiat so they wouldn't be challenged in combat, and humored them way too often. The playesr did kinda treat it as a video game, but I can't really blame them since it was their first DnD experience.

He also didn't make them read the rules or literally anything. I've sat in on a few sessions and it's obvious that they weren't as engaged as they could be - although the GM said they had fun. They seemed more like they were bored, to me.
>>
>>49286467
If you're correct that the giant stuff came out of nowhere for Faerun, it's pretty silly they didn't acknowledge that it came out of Greyhawk and that they didn't adapt it to Eberron if they're unwilling to use Greyhawk.

Eberron actually has a pretty extensive giant history. They've been on a many thousand year decline but they'd still be powerful if they organized.
>>
>>49286395
Theres more creative methods as well. Like there could be a physical resistance to changes, a kind of reverse butterfly effect that will make consequences seem similar or even physically adds a resistance to paradoxical action.
>>
>>49285596
I just hope that they don't fuck up and somehow not make a genie-pact for warlock to represent sha'irs. (That line about 'genie lineage' in the SCAG had me worried they'll fuck it up.)
>>
What class is Maxmoefoe
FilthyFrank
And Idubbbz?
>>
>>49286608
idubbbz is probably a really terrible bard
Frank is a rogue
Never watched max so I dunno
>>
Anyone have any basic conversion guidelines for Pathfinder to 5e? I enjoy the Adventure Paths but...going back to Pathfinder can be frustrating.
>>
>>49286567
Did not know that. Eberron's on the list of settings I need to read up on soon.
Seriously, I get that 'Abyss' was Underdark-centric, like, majorly hooked into the underground of Faerun. And I get that Strahd can start out anywhere with no difficulty, because fucking Ravenloft. But STK, like Princes, is the kind of story that can, and should, be adapted to other worlds.
Gah, sorry, should get off my pet peeve now.
>>
>>49286567
The problem with Giants in Eberron is that the Dragons have such a boner for wrecking their shit that a truly world-affecting plot would be short-circuited long before it got to some dipshit PCs to handle.
>>
>>49286671
Eberron had an age of giants on the continent Xen'drik. The giants were once so powerful that adventurers in the current time of the setting can find ancient schemas of giant spells that used 1st to 3rd level spell slots for about 6th to 7th level effects (at least in 3.5). They were pretty much the height of magic in Eberron, though it could be argued the modern day has a more advanced society with weaker but more widespread magic.

The giants are responsible for the creation of elves and drow and used both as slave races.

Giant civilization fell after a disastrous war with the quori who invaded from Dal'Quor, the realm of dreams, a revolt from the elves that lead to the elves escaping from Xen'drik, and the dragons deeming the giants such a threat that they all banded together to use epic level magic that utterly destroyed giant society and cursed Xen'drik in a way that would keep the giants from ever being able to form a society like they once had.

A storm giant in Eberron is considered pathetically weak compared to what giants once were. Going through a giant ruin in Xen'drik can be extremely dangerous because the traps were made to one-shot advanced giants.
>>
>>49286805
>Giant civilization fell after a disastrous war with the quori who invaded from Dal'Quor
More specifically, they used the magic shit that the dragons helped them develop to *send Dal Quor into a planar orbit that will never near Eberron again*, shattering their home continent of Xen'drik in the process.
>>
Does anybody have the spreadsheet that lists the rewards from Adventurer's League by module?
>>
>>49286783
The display of power the dragons used against the giants was really the last display of that magnitude though. There's a lot of hints in the setting books that dragons are declining and/or are very wary of upsetting things by wielding their power in that manner.

More likely, an agent of the Draconic Chamber would take on a humanoid form and get PCs to the dirty work without revealing he's a dragon.

>>49286835
The ancient giants and the dragons of Eberron are on a whole different level than the stuff in the 5e monster manual.

I may need to re-read, but I was pretty sure the Traveler's Curse on Xen'drik was something the dragons specifically did to ruin giant society rather than being a side effect of cutting off Dal'Quor.
>>
>>49286467, >>49286567, >>49286671
This is not precisely accurate.
While giant "royalty" is new, the idea that Storm Giants have kings is mentioned aaaall the way back in Giantcraft for 2e FR, and that the most powerful giants are always the most important ones due to the Ordning.
The titular Storm King is basically just called "the most powerful of storm Giants", which means by laws of the Ordning that he's basically in charge of every as all giants (exceeding verbeegs and Firbolgs) follow the Ordning which says storm giants are head of the pack excepting titans, so really it's an extrapolation of existing information, much more so then Rise of Tiamat (which involves several retcons) and Out of the Abyss (which is really just "demons lords are popular, drow are popular, Underdark is popular, ergo all three are most popular).

What IS an ass-pull is the concept of the Ordning being magical; it wasn't a mystically binding force or anything, it was simply a cultural tradition most giants followed, excepting a few species.
>>
Anyone here familiar with the Cormyr story? I'll start playing Elemental Evil and I want create a Paladin from Cormyr.

I intend to get Oath of Devotion.

What could you guys tell me so I can fill the character story?
>>
>>49286961
What "Cormyr" story do you mean?
>>
>>49286936
>which involves several retcons
What retcons exactly?
>>
>>49287003
Ones involving Tiamat and the Cult of the Dragon mostly.
Prior to the adventure their objective is to turn evil dragons into dracoliches due to some obscure-ass prophecy they were trying to fulfill, a goal they weren't particularly successful at. In actuality it was almost literally a "generic evil cult" who it is sort of admitted that even if the rank and file believed the prophecy stuff the leaders were just basically using it as a way to gain power, and that when the cult's leadership changed it's practical goals often did as well to reflect the ambitions of whoever was in charge.

Tiamat herself was a relatively minor deity in Faerun (killed fairly early on at that, at the beginning of 2e) and only gained prominence there due to her being one of the "core" 4e deities.
>>
>>49286981
Well I know very few things about FR so I want to know how people there feel now, how did they beat Netheril, how a Paladin from Marsember or Suzail would think, etc

I think that my character is from some order and was sent to investigate the climate change things in the Sword Coast
>>
File: short version.jpg (117KB, 440x480px) Image search: [Google]
short version.jpg
117KB, 440x480px
>>49287003
The Cult of the Dragon doesn't just worship dragons in general, it worships dracoliches. And goes around giving aid to dragons, convincing them to undergo the ritual.
Apparently an archmage several hundred years ago had very interesting ideas about power. Despite being really weird, there's something kinda neat about it.
I mean, yeah, the adventure even mentions that the whole Tiamat-worship thing is somebody taking the cult in a radical new direction, but it's still annoying.
>>
Can anyone help me optimize a blue dragon themed sorcerer spell list for 5th level(obviously blue dragon sorcerer). Based on the MM description, Dust Devil seems appropriate, obviously lightning bolt, witch bolt, and shocking grasp, but idk what else.
>>
>>49287077
To be fair, she had a little bit more going on. She got killed early, but three separate dragons got shards of her divinity, which she used to resurrect herself and get revenge on the God-King that killed her. Like, she can work in the Realms...just not the Sword Coast. Would have made more in-world sense if it was crazy cultists from Unther, but I guess they just figured 'Cult of the Dragon' would sell better for admittedly-obvious reasons. (I mean, yeah, as half-assed as most of that adventure, but still, I'll allow it.)
>>
>>49287093
Oh, you mean about the country itself!
Well, Cormyr is one of the relatively few proper monarchies in Faerun, which seems to largely resist strong centralized government as a general rule. Like, the whole "fantasy feudal kingdom" is nearly nonexistent in Forgotten Realms (I can think of all of four), and you're far more likely to find city-states and merchant guilds and elected dukes then kings. Cormyr's the one of the exceptions to the rule, and it has a strong military and centralized goverment; adventurer's actually have to get licenses there because Cormyr's laws STRONGLY discourage murderhoboing.

This book will give details;
https://dnd.rem.uz/Advanced%20D%26D%20(unsorted)/Cormyr.pdf

As to how they beat Shade?
Basically, writer's fiat and retcon beams. It was shit from 4e, the edition that the Realms seem determined to forget ever happened.
>>
>>49287109
But thats not a retcon.
>>49284935
Strahd is one
A player turned into one so is now an npc
And an npc turned into one. Both used amber temple
>>
>>49286550
Anybody?
>>
File: 1473518313853.png (578KB, 1015x1276px) Image search: [Google]
1473518313853.png
578KB, 1015x1276px
>>49287212
Be a good GM. Sorry if that seems unhelpful, but the only way to change player perceptions is to fun the game and hope they adapt.
>>
>>49287195
Thank you very much Sir, I'll take a look. Another question: Could a level 1 Paladin be in the Purple Dragons? If yes, could the Paladin being sent to investigate the climate changes in the Sword Coast?
>>
>>49287212
Ask them to forget what it was like to play D&D with someone else and run the type of game you want to run.
>>
>>49287195, >>49287093
In addition to it's local militias and armies, it has two big organizations; the Purple Dragon Knights (whom anyone can actually join and are a great way for the commoners to raise up their social status since unlike other parts of the government they promote by merit to remain a genuinely effective fighting force), and the War-Wizards (who aside from being the major of organized magic use in the Realms also are basically Cormyr's state police and intelligence network).

Cormyr's not THE safest kingdom in Faerun (it's still got some wild areas), but it's pretty close in a lot of ways and thus adventurers from Cormyr usually adventure OUT of Cormyr.

Besides, it makes Cormyr look good when a Purple Dragon Knight goes on an errentry and slays monsters and shit.
>>
>>49287212
Just do the best you can. If they fall to wanting to be lead by the nose on what to do next, try giving clear branches for doing A or B so you force them into some agency.
>>
>>49287240
>>49287256
Alright. I kinda figured that. I didn't wanna go out and say 'Yeah, you were playing all wrong' because they were actually having fun, but eh. Whatever. Thanks though.
>>
>>49287243
>Could a level 1 Paladin be in the Purple Dragons?
Anyone at all can join.
Usually they're Fighters (it's not easy to find someone with the mettle to be a Pally), but there's Paladins among them too.
>If yes, could the Paladin being sent to investigate the climate changes in the Sword Coast?
If the War Wizards pulled strings maybe.
Or if he's on errentry and just felt like doing it himself.
>>
>>49284460
Multi-classing in 5e is just plain bad anyway. It doesn't really jive with the system at all. Which I'm fine with, as I loathe multi-classing.
>>
>>49287274
That's awesome, I think that my Paladin will be a commoner who joined the Purple Dragons.

>>49287315
>If the War Wizards pulled strings maybe.
>Or if he's on errentry and just felt like doing it himself.
How much freedom (autonomy) does a member of the Purple Dragons have?
Also: How they see women in Cormyr? They see them as equal or there is some kind of prejudice?
>>
>>49287379
Faerun in general is pretty big on gender equality (stick around long enough, and you'll get to hear someone go on at length regarding Ed Greenwood's magical realms).
Cormyr in particular had a big female hero in the past - one of the younger princesses ran away to spend time as a wandering adventurer, who eventually teamed up with daddy to defeat the Least Impressive Mongol Horde Ever (note: editorial opinion). When her dad and older sister died later in wars, she took over as regent for her infant nephew.
So, I assume general equality on such fronts.
>>
>>49287379
>That's awesome, I think that my Paladin will be a commoner who joined the Purple Dragons.
Commoners actually make up the majority of the PDK's for particular reasons.
>How much freedom (autonomy) does a member of the Purple Dragons have?
Depends.
Basically the PDK are a state army, but during peacetime they can do stuff knights usually do. Most stay in the country and do their service there, but some request to go on errentry or quests. The major difference is that unlike your traditional feudal knight he has to ask permission from a superior officer other then his lord.
>Also: How they see women in Cormyr? They see them as equal or there is some kind of prejudice?
Equals. The current ruler, a Queen, is a warrior woman and Cormyr's regent for all of 3e was a warrior-princess.
It's actually faster to name the cultures WITH prejudice then it is without them; Faerun is pretty egalitarian all things considered.
>>
>>49287499
And how much would a member of the Purple Dragon autonomy have?
>>
>>49287499
>(stick around long enough, and you'll get to hear someone go on at length regarding Ed Greenwood's magical realms).
Greenwood's a feminist in the traditional sense, he's just also a huge pervert too.
It doesn't make him not one or the other, just makes him a huge nerd, which is relatively straightforward.
>>
>>49287561
>Greenwood's a feminist in the traditional sense, he's just also a huge pervert too.

It's pretty difficult to find a male feminist who isn't a pervert.
>>
>>49287561
Yeah, I have no issue with Greenwood being Greenwood (I mean, yeah, I kinda hate all FR novels, but that doesn't really reflect badly on the setting itself in my book.) I've just noticed it's one of the things people will harp on when they're ranting about the Realms.
>>
>>49287582
A fair assessment.
Contrary to the belief of some, one doesn't really contradict the other. Some guys find liberated women REALLY hot, which just makes them want to fuck them more.
>>
>>49287634
>I mean, yeah, I kinda hate all FR novels, but that doesn't really reflect badly on the setting itself in my book.

The novels hardly reflect the setting at ALL honestly, especially the most famous ones.
>I've just noticed it's one of the things people will harp on when they're ranting about the Realms.
Anyone who rants on the Realms faults is actually spouting memes and likely isn't terribly familiar with the setting.
You can't "rant" on their faults because they're short and uncomplicated ones that take maybe five seconds to sum up and then you're done.

Everything else is just weather or not you like the flavor of fantasy it presents, which is an entirely subjective thing that has nothing to do with facts.
>>
>>49287536
Depends on if Cormyr is at peace and how lentient their current officer is I suppose, but PDK's DO go questing in other lands.
>>
So how hard would it be to take SKT and convert it over from FR into EB?
>>
>>49287530
>Commoners actually make up the majority of the PDK's for particular reasons.
Why would that be?
>>
>>49287695
Well, you'd have to change all the locations and make up some stuff about the giants of Eberron following some hitherto-Unknown social structure, but that's in in my opinion.

The locations might be the hardest part.
>>
>>49287695
Not very hard at all. Giants are still mostly on Xen'drik. Pick a part of Xen'drik that has the right climate and insert. Xen'drik is intentionally left vague and has a curse on it that makes internal locations ever-shifting. The setting creator said he did that on purpose so Xen'drik could be a DM's sandbox and anything official there doesn't contradict what DMs insert.

Some of the NPCs might be drow instead of the Faerun human nationalities they inserted.
>>
>>49287729
Xen'drik makes that stuff easy. Anything can be on Xen'drik and just hasn't been discovered yet due to the nature of The Traveler's Curse.
>>
>>49287687
Thank you anon
>>
>>49287704
Well, most feudal kingdoms work like; lord owns land, knights own land, knights make up majority of professional military and muster when called by lord supplemented by part-time militia soldiers. The lords that muster make up the main military of the kingdom as well.

Cormyr has a lot of important noble families (three of them having royal blood to some degree), so it's tricky managing them all to keep them loyal to the King's centralized goverment. The PDK's are basically the King's personalized army paid for by taxes collected from the lords, and rather then the sons of nobles and knights they're peasants and such who are impressed with patriotic duty slogans and such, making the PDK's less of a traditional feudal knightly order and more of a modern professional standing army.

The PDK's have been around so long that even noble's sons and the like join them because they're quite famous and prestigious, even though in some sense they're there to curtail the power of the individual noble families and prevent the nation from fracturing into civil war and to keep the monarch in total control of the nation.
>>
>>49287745, >>49287759
Hmm, that works. You could sub the drow tribes for the Uthgardt barbarians.
Of course it means the events aren't nearly as much a major threat to Eberrin as a whole as Khorvaire's civilization has lightly settled Xen'drik, but it would still suck for the people living there.
>>
>>49284605
>giving monsters class levels
>>
>>49287861
If it would be the beginning of giants ascending in power to anything even close to the age of giants, it would be pretty frightening for the rest of Eberron. Those giants were willing to turn eldritch machines used to cut off a plane on elven slaves that revolted.
>>
>>49287821
Is the Cormyr geas-mindcontrol thing canon, or just fanwank?
>>
>>49287903
Yeah, an organized and aggressive giant kingdom would make Khorvaran inhabitanton of the continent nearly impossible.
You'd have to use something else as the instigator of the plot, as the Kraken Society is not a thing in Eberron.
Perhaps the Dreaming Dark?
They kind of have a history of fucking with giant civilization on Xen'drik already.
Maybe you could work the crazy fire-worshipping Aztec drow who basically invented elemental binding into it somehow....
>>
>>49287916
No evidence of it in any official fluff anywhere.
Cormyr is just a really effective centralized kingdom compared to it's neighbors, though it's not the only one of it's kind in Faerun; Impiltur, Damara, and Tethyr are also traditional feudal states.
>>
File: 1472437985830.png (886KB, 590x816px) Image search: [Google]
1472437985830.png
886KB, 590x816px
All this talk about Xen'Drik just reminds me that I want my players to have an endgame mission there that facilitates the revival of an ancient machine, a massive golem thought be simply be ruined buildings, to fight some massive threat that is likely another of these machines or one based off of it
We Mecha now.
>>
>>49287993
Why not give it something better to fight?
One of the plot hooks in the Xen'drink book is that sleeping in a glacier south of the continent is a super powered biological weapon that the Giant Civilization never managed to wake up; the Tarrasque.
>>
File: 1467263714114.jpg (47KB, 700x480px) Image search: [Google]
1467263714114.jpg
47KB, 700x480px
>>49288021
Man, I really need to get around to reading the rest of the books. Have only done the base and Sharn since it's an inquisitives campaign based there
>>
>>49287878
>>Not being creative.
Are you that guy a few months ago that when someone asked about making a doppleganger the BBEG, you just said "Make it some illusion wizard instead and not be creative"
>>
>>49288057
It kinda stuck out in my head because it's one of the only times it's said to exist in a campaign setting directly.
There's one brief instance of it in FR too, but that's about it.
>>
>>49287957
>You'd have to use something else as the instigator of the plot, as the Kraken Society is not a thing in Eberron.
>Perhaps the Dreaming Dark?
The Lords of Dust would work too. Some rakshasa probably has a piece of the draconic prophecy that predicts his particular Overlord will ascend from his prison when the giants reclaim their power.

>Maybe you could work the crazy fire-worshipping Aztec drow who basically invented elemental binding into it somehow....

The Sulatar stayed loyal to the giants iirc
>>
>>49288021
I like the plot hook that the Tarrasque is the body of one of the Overlords. His uninhabited body is that powerful without a god-like entity inside it.
>>
File: Red Ready.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Red Ready.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
How would you make Red as a 5e character? Say in the level range of 3-5.
>>
>>49288111
>that predicts his particular Overlord will ascend from his prison when the giants reclaim their power
You have to rework that a long since a blue dragon is the instigator of the plot while working with the Kraken Society.
Depending on how long you take on the final act said kraken might actually just get itself in gear and show up to ruin the party's day, as a point of fact.
>The Sulatar stayed loyal to the giants iirc
That would definitely make the fire giant plot the biggest threat since you'd have no only fire giants but one of the most organized civilizations on Xen'drik working with/for them.
>>
>>49288151
Who the hell is that?
>>
Hey guys, I just ran a few simulations, and I've recently discovered that in a heavily forested area, five goblins spread out over a few hundred feet are capable of killing nearly anything. Being able to disengage, dash, or hide as a bonus action is the scariest thing ever.
>>
>>49288164
A rakshasa could trick a dragon. They're great liars.
>>
File: Jaunt().png (2MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Jaunt().png
2MB, 1920x1080px
>>49288178
The protagonist of Transistor. Made by the people who did Bastion. The sword talks and is essentially the soul of her former lover. The mechanics translate to magic pretty easily.
>>
>>49288184
Ready action to shoot the goblin when it appears
>>
>>49288184
Assuming nobody beats their hide check and then hits them even once with any strength I suppose, yes.
Tiny psychopaths make good ambushers. Who knew?
>>
Anyone have the hook up for Eberron 3.5 and 4e campaign books?

We're starting a new campaign for it in 5e and I need to get at the fluff. I know very little about the setting.
>>
>>49288206
Sorry, can't help you.
None of that really means anything to me.
>>
>>49288223
https://mega.nz/#F!VkgGlSzK!11kU_hPmZpCqYBx8uRaHhA
>>
>>49288223
Make sure you get the Pulp feel down.
My one major Eberron game was memorable largely because everyone had the theme nailed down; it was basically "D&D Noir", or "Sharn Confidential" in theme, with the party being a private investigation company in Sharn.

EVERYONE was a film Noir archetype to some degree, and the person playing the Fighter basically had an internal monologue he did in between or during scenes.
>>
Could someone explain to me how healing abilities such Lay on Hands would work in the point of view of roleplaying? I know how it work in mechanics, but how it work for those who are seing it? For example: It would close the injury of someone who got stabed or it would just stop the bleeding?
>>
>>49288270
I suck at knowing things like that, do you have any suggestions of good movies, books, shows that can help me understand what noir really is?
>>
>>49288227
thanks for being useless I guess

and for pointing out how useless you are being
>>
>>49288298
Eberron isn't just Noir, it's just pulp in general. There's a list in the beginning of the core book for 3e, actually.
Got some great recommendations there.
>>
>>49288297
I always pictured it as "cauterizing" the wound with positive energy then imbuing the target with "HP".
>>
>>49288297
Well, remember that HP isn't necessarily deep bleeding injuries. It's also combat stamina, at least for PC's sized creatures.
About halfway through your HP you're taking minor cuts and bruises, and at zero you take a serious direct hit that takes you out of the fight.
>>
>>49288395
But how we roleplay it? If someone take a arrow in its knee, we take the arrow away and use Lay onf Hands, what would happen to the wound?
>>
>>49288458
Well, it depends. One of my players is playing a paladin as just a really righteous dude that's also a really talented healer. A more traditional paladin might flavor it as closing the wound and removing the arrow. Just try to think of whatever would be cool, as healing and hitpoints are a relatively abstract thing in d&d
>>
Didn't the guy who made Eberron say that 4e was pretty much the best edition to run Eberron in? And he has his own houserules for 5e that are pretty much better than those put out in that one UA?
>>
>>49288219
They're way tougher than I expected though. Five goblins can pretty consistently take out 14 guards, while only losing one or two.
>>
>>49288458
My group does different things every time. Maybe one time the wounds stops bleeding but they have scratches/scars after a glow of holy light, other times the players are poisoned but the lay on hands of the paladin forces the poison out (we roleplayed it like giving the heimlich maneuver which was pretty funny). Let the players (or you if you want) just come up with it on spot.
>>
>>49288485
It hurts me deeply to say this, but Eberron was made for 3.5 and it is the best edition to play.

Eberron 4e was shit. I vaguely recall Keith saying something about it, but I must disagree.
>>
File: bawww.jpg (154KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
bawww.jpg
154KB, 500x500px
Theatre of the Mind or Battle Grid?
>>
>>49288531
Pulpy action heroics is just about the only thing 4e excels at. Why did you think it was shit? Besides the shoehorning of eladrin and shit.
>>
>>49288520
Yes, assuming very dense forest wilderness or terrain they can hide behind.
This is why people hire adventurers to fight them; because small groups of goblins can be a pain in the ass to find and are hard to locate as well as being dangerous to small groups of guards.
>>
>>49284423
Aye, the Saga of Fells Five is a great unfinished poem, carved intricately into a granite wall as an elaborate mural that stretches far through the mountain. Note the careful but seamed mosaic application of gemstones to provide color and the interplay of the party drought wit their own goals.

Dwarven Work.
>>
>>49288548
Not him, but while I would say it's good at action the grindy rules-heavy combat where everything is a type of maneuver is too rigid to be pulpy action, which is about improvisation most of the time.

It IS very good at nifty tactical combat though.
>>
>>49288562
Huh, I never thought of it that way. I guess that explains why anyone even cares about goblins.
>>
>>49288577
It's amazing how everything worthwhile is dwarven work.
>>
>>49288548
4e characters are too tough for Eberron. The adventures should be at least somewhat dangerous for the characters, what was pretty hard to do in 4e, where wou either get a TPK or a party at full health after a short rest and some healing surges.

The original campaign setting book even had some guidelines on how to modify the combat encounter in 3.5 to get the right feel. The main guidleine I remember was having fewer encounters, but with an EL well above the party's. The 4e feel is too heroic for the Eberrron theme I get from the original books.
>>
I have a question for DMs running Storm King's Thunder.

How did you handle the Orc attack in Chapter 1? I am preparing for some scenarios but for instance if my party makes an alliance with the Seven Snakes and have that extra muscle to defend the settlement how can I make the Orcs more of a threat? Seems like they would never find the way into the settlement with that many goons taking shots at them from the tower.
>>
>>49288591
3e and 4e were great at mechanics and rules and fiddly out of universe stuff. They were designed to be.
In the in-inverse sense they never made any sense at all and you basically had to bend the function of the setting to accommodate the rules, and was not internally consistent with the description of the settings themselves.
This is because Greyhawk and FR and most settings of that era were built around an existing ruleset, while with 3e and 4e they were forced to fit a ruleset they didn't really fit into at all.
One of the reasons Eberron was entertaining is because it actually looked at what 3e was doing and created a setting that actually fit 3e's existing rules then trying to make an old setting fit it's square peg into a round hole.

Back in AD&D a small group of goblins getting the drop on guards (or adventurers) could do some seriously nasty damage before going down and would very likely kill one or more people.
>>
>>49288592
Certainly don't hear human's reciting elven prose in their taverns, only dwarven songs...

About killing invadin' humans.
>>
hey i just made rolled up this guy, anything i should change?
>>
>>49288636
Increase their numbers, give them better AC, up their damage or all of the above
>>
>>49288683
First, properly write "rogue" and not "rouge". Second, why the hell are you multiclassing? Stealth Archer? What do you think this is? Skyrim?
>>
>>49288674
Fell's Five is basically perfect evidence of the old Viking aphorism;
>"No such thing as bad ships or bad weather. Only worthless fuckin' sailors."
Okay, so it's actually from Witcher 3, but I'd like to think Vikings actually said it.

Pretty much EVERY character in Fell's Five is a huge stereotype, and their world is a stereotype, and the plots are a stereotype, and everything is really by the numbers D&D Heroic Fantasy found in Greyhawk and Forgotten Realms and so on.

It's amazing anyway.
A good craftsman can turn almost anything good, and people who blame their resources are usually both lazy and unskilled.
>>
File: Stealth Archerery.png (1MB, 800x3176px) Image search: [Google]
Stealth Archerery.png
1MB, 800x3176px
>>49288706
yes/spoiler]
>>
>>49288717
They are huge stereotypes but it works. The Elf is snooty, the halfling is in it for the gold, the dwarf is somewhat racist, the tiefling is mysterious and cavorting with darker powers and then we get a white male fighter "leader" of the party (albeit they do explain quite well over and over it's simply because he only is because he's quick on his feet).

And the inter-party banter (and the banter among others) is just perfect. At the end of the day, it looks, feels and sounds like exactly how a D&D game actually plays out and is just transcribed from there.
>>
>>49288764
>albeit they do explain quite well over and over it's simply because he only is because he's quick on his feet

The stupid thing is, assuming you have a DM who's doing his job and a group that isn't fucking around, the guy who comes up with the first plan usually IS the "leader" in said terms because everyone does his idea first and he came up with it fastest.

Even if the idea is a terrible one.
>>
Please tell me what do you guys think:

Paladin Background (Elemental Evil):

Since she was a little kid Shandri dreamed, sometimes even while awake, with big adventures, knowing the world, explore ruins left by the enemies after her people victory, purge the evil from this world.

Her dreams were only interrupted when she remembered the cruel reality, a commoner without many chances of social ascention in the kingdom of Cormyr, she was always grateful that her family could live in a local of peace, by the other hand she knews that it would stop her from reaching her dreams.

Young sister from a family with 5 brothers Shandri always carried a feeling of guilty because her mother died during her birth. 3 of her brothers perished by diseases.

Her middle brother, Dorn, was always a closed person, he abandoned Suzail without saying a word 5 years ago.

Her older brother, Malark, had a good relation with Shandri, however they don't see each other in 8 years because when he joined the Purple Dragons he was sent to Arabel, she had only 12 years back then.

Her father, Randal, by the other hand always looked after her. Randal is a devout priest of Lliira in a small temple in the city, so since she was young she devouted herself to the goddess of joy.

When she had 16 years something odd happened, her father climbing stairs in the temple felt and suffered great injuries, she saw that and in a gesture of despair claimed to Lliira to save her father, in that moment her hands gleamed and he recovered.

Randal saw that Shandri had been chosen by the goddess, that filled their hearts with joy, Shandri joined the Purple Dragons in order to train her combat abilities.

After a intense phisical and mental training she learned how to manage a sword and how to use the gifts that Lliira gave to her. The War Wizards sent her in a quest, investigate the climate changes happening in the Sword Coast and then she went to Waterdeep, this is her chance to prove herself and follow her dreams.
>>
>>49288802
Sometimes the terrible ideas are the best ideas.

Like kissing the orc warchief.
Or killing the zombie orphans.
Maybe trying to bluff the dragon.
>>
>>49288755
I don't get it.
Is stealth archery one of those stupidly brief short-lived Elder Scrolls memes that will only exist until the next Elder Scrolls game comes out or something?
>>
>>49287137
Booming blade, Thunderclap,
Minor illusion, Mold earth, Misty step,
Friends, Charm person and Sleep.
>>
>>49288835
we can only hope anon, we can only hope;
>>
>>49288826
Pretty solid, not that bad actually. What would her actual background be? Soldier, Knight of the Order or maybe even Far Traveller?

Remember, the Backgrounds and traits with them are more guidelines and if your DM approves it you can always change them and/or adjust them.
>>
>>49288827
Following the shadow-posses zombie horde.
Wanting everything to explode.
Bluff a rakshasa by telling him exactly how you were going to rob him.
Follow the unending body trail of horrible bug monsters from the Underdark.
Go into the obviously evil temple.
Fuck with the magic runes of summoning even though you don't know what it summons.
>>
>>49288835
It is a bit of a meme. Thing is is that Archery while in stealth is really strong in Skyrim (not as strong as other things, but it is one of the strongest for people just starting to try and find ways to make the game easier for them). Reasons why is that is increases two skills at once - Stealth and Archery. Archery can eventually slow time down while you zoom in on a target and deal good crit damage, stealth makes it hard for foes to hear you and rush your character and can also boost your crit chance and damage.
>>
>>49288868
I was thinking in Knight of the Order or Far Traveler indeed.
>>
>>49288900
Well, hope it works out quite well for you then and you survive. Be sure to post storytimes and considering you put so much effort into the background, make sure you stress on the DM how much you want this to come up. Maybe they can make some side quests for your character from the PDK or the War Wizards?
>>
>>49288913
Well it would be nice, but I'm not sure if there will be sidequests, I don't know if the DM will follow the Elemental Evil adventure without changing anything.
>>
In Ravenloft, can the Mist be cleared by Create or Destroy Water?
>>
>>49289017
Not to any useful degree, no.
>>
>>49289017
No. The Mists of the Demiplane of Dread aren't real mists, it's....something else.
Also, you couldn't do that with real mist anyway.
>>
>>49288764
FUCKING WHITE MALE AMIRITE
>>
>>49281406
If they're being run ragged in terms of health or resources maybe offer clear opportunities for recovery, either an obvious safe spot to rest or something indirect like restorative potions, supportive magics from friendly npcs, grace from a player deity if they are devout etc. If they're just trying to play overly safe and be topped off at all times then I wouldn't feel bad about interrupting them. Surely a party of murderhobos has enemies who will stumble upon them if they tarry too long in one place.

It's also a pretty easy sell to say that the conditions in any unusual place are too shitty for most people to be able to recover in. Extreme temperatures, noxious fumes, spooky ghosts, swarming insects or vermin, rotting carcasses, excessive standing water, unnatural lights, etc. That also gives you the chance to reward the players if they have a creative way to avoid that shit or if they packed smart supplies or pack oft-underused supportive spells.
>>
>>49288636
There is a giant hole in the town wall

Also they ignore the keep they just want to hide from the pursuing elves
>>
>>49288855

>blue dragon sorcerer
>zero lightning spells
>>
>>49289115
Oh god, you've been triggered.

No, seriously, white male warrior is a trope, they play it up at least a little in each edition and WotC even demanded they insert one in 3e. I think they made Adric Fell one literally just to play up the trope but goddamn they pull it off perfectly.
>>
Should i wait until Monday to make my Halfling Ranger?
Think there will be any changes to Beastmaster?
>>
>>49289263
His plans suck though.
>"Gruhn choose ROCK."
>"What? Rock pick?! Rock hammer!? Rock isn't a weapon!"
>>
>>49288827
Our gnome promised to marry a goblin, and convinced an orc to make her an honorary tribe member.
>>
Okay /5eg/, I need some help securing a massive amount of gold I got.

Long story short, I came across a GM super item being pawned off for 5 gold, and sold it to a cult for 1 million gold. Before anyone shits bricks, no-one in the party could effectively use it and it had an alignment/moral code opposed to everyone in the party. The item was a shield and I'm a ranged Deep Stalker Ranger.
So, I am a level 2 ranger in a massive city of assholes with a bag of holding full of 1 million gold pieces worth of platinum. How do I secure this wealth to prevent it from being taken from me, as this gives the party the ability to take a step off the GM's rails of having a bad time in a shitty planar city?

I had the idea of having the bag surgically implanted into his gut, the opening as his bellybutton, like a less magical realm version of "I HAVE A BAG OF HOLDING UP MY ASS" kinda deal. Plus if he gets stabbed and it bursts it all just spills out of his belly button.

Someone else mentioned using a portable hole, but that has to unfold 6 feet and that isn't very discreet.
>>
>>49288206
Hope I'm not too late but BLADE PACT WARLOCK. Get a greatsword pact weapon, ask the DM if it can be intelligent and talk to you (shouldn't break things too much). Use your spells to mimic other abilities.
>>
>>49289599
Outfit the party as best you can, considering buying magical items is harder in 5e.

Once you have everyone kitted out, buy a stronghold and invest the remainder into various businesses around town. Above all, do not do any of the following:
-Keep all the gold in one place, or invest it all into one holding. You will lose it.
-Let anyone know exactly how much you have. You will lose it.
-Do literally anything involving whatever passes for a Thieves' Guild in your city.
>>
>>49289599
You'd have been better off asking for magic items to begin with, all those damn coins are a logistical nightmare. At the very least sink some of it into gems.
>>
File: 1468906646846.png (435KB, 1155x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1468906646846.png
435KB, 1155x1200px
>>49289653
Only problem with that my friend is the party is looking to leave this planar city. Little spoiler here: giant silver monsters with the ability to simply unmake things are appearing, and there is a social system set up to keep 80% of the population, which we are part of, within the massive city to be secretly sacrificed so their souls can be fed into a barrier to keep these beasts away. MAYBE now that I'm a millionaire I might get into that higher caste and avoid the purging. Investing it is a sound fuckin idea though. Last time I did that it didn't get me much sadly, and most of my shit got shut down by the actual mafia thugs in the city... I'm worried I wont actually make a return on any investment I make here, and it may be better to hold it and flee the city.

Thank you for your input by the way, this is very appreciated.

>>49289692
Having something that's worth coins but isn't coinage could be very useful if I travel to a place where this currency isn't recognized. I'll keep that in mind.
>>
Hey /tg/, what advice would you give to a first time player joining a new group? I decided I'm going to a D&D meet with one of my friends next week, but I have no idea what to do.
>>
File: 1424439748209.jpg (392KB, 1100x825px) Image search: [Google]
1424439748209.jpg
392KB, 1100x825px
>>49284383
>>49284531
I don't know I do feel some classes, like sorcerors, monks and warlocks could use a few more options. I would also love to see more fluff abou the classes
>>
>>49289914
First and foremost, read the players handbook. If that seems daunting, meet with your friend before the session to go over the major points of the game. Preferably ask the Dungeon Master, the person running the game, if there are anything they do not allow at the game (certain races one can play, certain classes, stuff like that).

Remember, the game seems daunting, but at the end of the day all those numbers and things on your character sheet are all done before play even begins and said sheet becomes more a reference. Don't be afraid to play up odd concepts. Want to play Conan? Robin Hood? Look the book over, talk to the players and DM and see what you can do to try to make that ideal come forward.

Lastly, the game is meant to be fun. If you're not, that is fine. If it's because of something in game, talk it over with the DM and the players after the game and if it is not something they can fix quickly or at all, you are under no requirement to play and are allowed to walk away. But just kick back, kill some orcs and dragons and have fun with your friends as you all create stories you will talk about for years to come ("Remember that time the Orcs were bluffed by Jim's Gnome? With the acid and stuff? Good times...")
>>
>>49289914
know the rules (at least the free mini ones, and/or applicable ones to your character)
pay attention to how the group runs when you're there, if its all rp, you wont need to have every single spell in the game memorized
and have at least 2 character ideas, they may suggest you fill a roll the party doesnt have, and working with the group, rather than being the 5th 2h user in plate in the group
>>
>>49289954
Fluff for classes is always something you as a player and the others at the table come up with. Take the Barbarian for instance. Some will always look at it as being a viking with the serial numbers shaved off but it can be so much more. Maybe it's the town guard captain who has a short temper, or the dimwitted but well meaning farmhand who doesn't know his own strength and when afraid starts bawling his eyes out and lashing at others!

Fighters could be former (or present) thugs, soldiers, tavern bouncers, or just people who really want to defend their farmstead from them damn goblins.

Sorcerers are tied to their blood (or oath if they use the UA for Favored Soul I guess), so which grandparents fucked the dragon?

Wizards could be wizened old fucks, cackling witches or maybe an apprentice who stole their master's tome and ran off after a heated argument.

You get the idea. Classes are a framework, you bring the details to life.
>>
>>49280137
>>49284383
i wont lie i love stuff having "official" backing when it comes to races and classes if only because that means a certain amount of testing, which means that i wont have to be too worried about balance. on top of that im a literal aspie so i get caught up on shit like that
that said the plethora homebrew as well as its huge community make that less of an issue
i just wish there was a decent Kobold race that felt both balanced and had thae right "flavor"....
maybe ill take a run at it one day
so i can make my playable lizard waifu
>>
>>49290026
No no, Not fluff on specifc PCs, but rather fluff about fighters of x region in faerun, or the monastic orders they mention in SCAG
>>
>>49290105
You can look at any mercenary or guild or any sort of warrior organization in Faerun for fluff on fighters. They're the 'common class' for a reason, and not saying they're just boring, but that they're extremely versatile in portraying many kinds of physically-adept people.
>>
Am I a shit GM?

I'm kinda new to DnD, but some friends (two of which are more experienced than the rest of us) started getting into it and asked me to DM since I have the most free time to come up with stuff.

I generally try to get the group to follow a sort-of plot; I don't usually have a lot of plans for if things get really out of hand but I thankfully haven't had to do any hand-waving. They made some money, got on the wagon, went into the dungeon, etc

The new guys (like me) don't ever really roleplay unless I specifically have NPCs ask them questions directly, and the more experienced guys never roleplay either because they just seem interested in the battle system.

My campaign preparation is usually: write plot centric NPC info (motivations and important things for them to mention), write scenario flavor text (with info of what happens from certain skill checks), and make any maps I need for combat.

Combat does go slowly, mostly because we are sort of navigating more complicated rules as we approach them (grappling for instance).

I ask because I get the feeling the more experienced players are sort of losing patience; one got into an argument with me because they were sure a monster should be dead based on how much health the last monster of the same type had; it had resistances they hadn't checked for and long story short I had to pause shit to tell him I was indeed keeping track of monster HP. It's pretty fun writing these campaigns so I don't want the group to lose interest due to shit DMing.
>>
>>49288548
On a related subject, did the setting get a lot of random alterations in 4e, or was it left basically the same other than an awkward paragraph explaining where all these new people came from?
>>
>>49290334
Basically just some tweaking to explain Tieflings and Dragonborn and then you're let loose back on the same world.
>>
>>49280924
>>49281010
>>49281042
>>49281197

I know that i'm late to the party, but honestly, what the fuck is wrong with this as long as the group PR's a way to provide protection during the rest.

I.e. my current party has, at times, been smashed with almost wipes, and we are expected to continue. Fuck that, a hard and fast rule on this is silly, instead a DM should adjust according to party needs. if the party is over resting (truly, i.e. maxing their abilities at all times), feed them rest encounters, but if it works to your play, let them do it. fuck the DMG, if you're group loves a huge sprawling battle once a day, give them that, if they like multiple small scale battles, give them that. number 1. use your judgment.
>>
>>49290256
>new to DnD
>friends who are more experienced asked you to DM
>experienced guys just seem interested in the battle system
The problem isn't you, the problem is the players being babies. Remind them you were asked to be DM, and that you have the stats, not them. And that you're the DM. If you aren't aware of something that gave your monsters advantage odds are they won't correct you to give themselves an advantage. But they will bitch if they feel you're wrong.

Players who play D&D only for the combat tend to be meta babies. If you find that they're reading monster manuals (ask them) or reading stuff up too much warn them to stop. You're the god of this game so you get to make the final decision. You can tweak monsters around a little if you want. Our DM has threatened one of our meta players with that before, and likely made minor homebrew changes just to throw them off.

You'll get argumentative players. There's no easy way to handle them -- some people just decide they're right and you're wrong. It's not a smart thing to do towards your DM. Try and encourage a little more RP so your friends aren't only there for combat, and stand your ground. If they get angry or bored and quit, they probably would have anyways since they just want combat.
>>
Any news about outoftheabyss.pdf yet?
>>
>>49290624
What?
>>
File: 1473580173679.png (161KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
1473580173679.png
161KB, 300x300px
>>49290635
>>
>>49290672
Okay... What about it? Is your copy of the pdf not working or something?
>>
>>49290695
Oh! i thought it was a new AL module. Didn't look for it among the official releases... :3
>>
>>49290733
>:3
t. i'm a retard
>>
I want to get into D&D and I just learned that a local store is doing a big launch event for a new adventure or something. Would it be rude to go to the store and ask if I could watch them play?
>>
>>49290785
Not really, as long as you don't interrupt them.
>>
>>49290785
Go for it, just make sure they are okay with it (some stores will ask you to buy something, but you could just buy a soda from them usually and you're good).
>>
File: TT_S1_Colors_06.jpg (570KB, 970x777px) Image search: [Google]
TT_S1_Colors_06.jpg
570KB, 970x777px
>>49290785
Why not just join in, should be a spot available in a group if it's a big event? And getting started with D&D ain't too hard.
>>
>>49280924
There should always be a good chance that they'll get attacked while trying to take a long rest in a dangerous area.
>>
File: lg.jpg (218KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
lg.jpg
218KB, 1080x1080px
>Lawful Good character will apparently murder party members if they do something outside of their unspoken "moral code"
>in my case, that meant fleeing a hypothetical suicidal situation to avoid auto-perma death, where only the two of us are left standing, means they'll use their turn before getting killed to attack me instead in hopes I die too
>even if there's literally nothing I can do to help the situation
>in the non-hypothetical situation that we ended up with, I saved the entire party
>they've gone out of their way to be an asshole to my character since I joined
>due to character background conflicts, mine already regards their character as evil
>still saved their life twice because it was best for the party in those situations
>trying to be useful to the rest of the group, despite not having much reason to stick around plot wise
how do you all deal with players who want party conflict that could end in pvp character death? talking with them has gotten me "it's what my character would do" answer. i don't really understand antagonizing people you rely on to keep you from dying. am I just overreacting?
>>
>>49290993
You're playing with shitheads. Seriously consider dumping the group.
>>
>>49290795
>>49290849
The event already started so I doubt I can join. I'd also much rather lurk for a bit because I don't really know how to play.
>>
>>49291027
I don't have anyone else to play with... and I love the DM's homebrew story. I still enjoy some sessions or parts of them. I'm also the least experienced with tabletops of the group. I don't get why everyone has such a hard time getting along with each other, this shit flinging is just getting in the way of the story.
>>
Are there any suggested ways to restat pathfinder monsters, items, and characters over to 5e?
>>
>>49291048
Ah then chances joining would be slim as you say, but no harm in just asking the guy setting the event up if they've got a free slot or someone's ditched their group.
Otherwise I don't think there'd be too hard to sit in on a session for a little while, just shutting up and spectating?
>>
>>49291054
If it were one person you could maybe talk to them or dance around their issues, with the whole team at odds there isn't much you can do to stop it. Maybe just go along with it, be a pain in the ass yourself and do "what your character would do", carve your fun out of their damn hides.
>>
>>49291096
>carve your fun out of their damn hides
Might be the only option I have, since talking hasn't helped curve the murder hobo mindset.

Suppose I'll have to try play a bit differently party dynamics wise.
>>
>>49291144
>>49291096
I want to ask how often are you saving the group cause really you could let them die for their stupidity
>>
>>49279972
>Who cares which classes or races are core at this point

Why? Do you know some good or interesting third party stuff?
>>
>>49287137

Anyone else?
>>
>>49290993
>Lawful Good character will apparently murder party members if they do something outside of their unspoken "moral code"

I remember two friends who fought each other over this. Half way through we all realized they like just fucking each other over. Genuinely was hilarious especially when the warlock purposefully set things up for them to fight. Damn the RP was fun.
>>
I feel like making homebrew classes for MotRD 5e. Probably 6 base classes with 3 specs each (2 primary casters, 3 martials with a dilettante spec, not sure what to put at slot 6 because part of me would love to just use a nerfed warlock).

All spells are ritual only, cantrips are probably not a thing anymore, all guns are simple weapons. Ravenloft corruption rules apply.
>>
>>49291216
I haven't counted. Too many times for the non dedicated healer who only just recently joined the rag tag group.

The one I mentioned was the worst so far since everyone was dead on the ground except me. There's been at least two other big times where if I didn't do what I did, we may have lost people. Plus regular saves, and I've also been crafting first aid items and etc for other party members so they can pull their weight.

I could leave characters to their fate, but I've been able to rationalize helping them because I need them to do something to deescalate a situation, or draw attention away from characters mine does like. Given the chance I'll likely let the one threatening me die.

>>49291356
We've had some minor, comical party conflict fights that were fun but they were light hearted. I don't really enjoy some random supposedly good guy character wanting to Soviet Union army my character in the back. It's one way conflict.
>>
So, I recently made the decision to port my Kingmaker game from Pathfinder to 5e for a couple of reasons, mainly that designing encounters for them was a colossal, unrelenting pain in the dick due to the sheer variance in AC, accuracy, damage and HP between each person making it damn near impossible to use normal monsters because anything that could hit player X would always hit player Y, anything that player Z could kill in a reasonable amount of time would take forever for player X etc. I've been told that 5e keeps a tighter grip on the potential variance between those sorts of stats.

Admittedly, this was kind of my own fault because I was experimenting with Mythic Rules in the Pathfinder game and my players are the sort to optimise to some degree. There is one thing though, I liked the fact that the players were a step above normal adventurers and were dealing with really big threats and had cool abilities beyond what was normal for their class.

The question is how to do this in 5th Edition, since I'm relatively new to the system, should I just start with them at baseline and then slowly add abilities once I've got a better grasp on the system?
>>
>>49291649
If you really want to start above baseline power, there's one relatively simple way: let them take two archetypes at once. I've been running a game like that, with some fun and success. It feels similar to gestalt in PF, in that it broadens their options without increasing their nova capability TOO much.

(For a Warlock, the Patron is the archetype, not the blade/tome/chain. Though personally, I give them two of those, too. And Fighter/Paladin/Ranger get a second Fighting Style.)
>>
>>49291649
Without knowing how your mythic runes are supposed to work, I say avoid anything that gives straight numerical bonuses, and be careful with constant or unlimited effects.

Starting slow is wise, yes.
>>
>>49291690
This is a bad idea, archetypes are not created equal and you've be giving some classes entirely different amounts of benefits.
>>
>>49287274
>Cormyr's not THE safest kingdom in Faerun (it's still got some wild areas), but it's pretty close in a lot of ways and thus adventurers from Cormyr usually adventure OUT of Cormyr.
One fun adventure I ran my players through was actually an adaption of the old NWN module "Wyvern Crown of Cormyr". Worked out pretty well, they especially loved the jousting tournament.
>>
>>49291649
Just start porting Mythic. Most of it'd work fine in the system with only minor tweaks.

Well. As fine as Mythic EVER worked.
>>
>>49291649
>Admittedly, this was kind of my own fault because I was experimenting with Mythic Rules in the Pathfinder game and my players are the sort to optimise to some degree.
If it makes you feel better, "optimization" means a lot less in this edition and 5e "optimized" characters are marginally more effective but not so much as in PF.

>There is one thing though, I liked the fact that the players were a step above normal adventurers and were dealing with really big threats and had cool abilities beyond what was normal for their class.
I feel as though I need to add that admitting that one of the problems with your old PF game being your fault for adding even MORE rules to PF and then asking how to add them for 5e despite moving away to 5e to avoid said problems might be somewhat counter-intuitive.
You don't need to worry about NPC's sharing class levels with PC's in this edition; NPC's don't have class levels, just stats.
>>
how do i build a karate master monk
>>
>>49291946
Make a monk
Take it to 20th level
>>
>>49288531
The part about 4e that worked better for Eberron was rituals. Baker suggested that if only dragonmarked individuals could perform rituals, and the rituals were specific to each mark, then it would better match the idea of the houses having magic-based monopolies.
>>
need quick help
the spellcaster teleported on top of an approaching roc, crit failed on the grab check, and managed to stun himself for a round while falling 320ft
the tank wants to try and catch her
what do?
>>
>>49292226
Time for a new character.
>>
>>49292226
if its a wizard they deserve to die because you should have feather fall memorized. because most good utility 1st lvl spells that matter can be cast as rituals (tensers, alarm, comprehend languages etc) and very few 1st level spells are good combat speaking and the rest are noob traps.

in short, if he doesnt have feather fall and have it memorized hes a retard and deserves to die.

if its a lock or sorcerer he deserves to die for playing such a shitty class.
>>
>>49292226
>>49292290
>>49292361
Yep I am the sorcerer who tried to teleport on the roc. Rolling new dwarf
>>
>>49292226
They deserve to die
>>
>>49292361
I deserve to die for sorcerer. True
>>
>>49292376
Dragon sorcerer? Try really, really hard to grow some wings.
Wild sorcerer? Cast anything and pray.
Have a bag of holding? Climb into it.
Shoot at the Roc; maybe it'll try and attack you and you can grab on.
Cast slow on yourself? Throw a bunch of fire spells down like landing rockets...

I don't know, you're probably dead. Might as well try everything.
>>
what's going on with rangers? my dm said they're getting an unearthed arcana but it's not out yet
>>
>>49292802
http://www.sageadvice.eu/2016/09/09/the-new-ranger-its-happening/
>>
>>49292802
That seems to be the case. I don't have particularly high hopes for it though, apparently there's a favored enemy related combat buff added. Right off on the wrong foot.
>>
>>49292226
Check the rules for falling, because that should still give the spellcaster some time to do something.
What level is the party? Any other spellcasters?

Or you could just accept your death and reroll.
>>
>>49292879
i am >>49292226
and i am the DM
there's nothing that says you can or cannot catch someone falling at terminal velocity
so houseruled the the sorceror was falling too quickly to be caught, was reduced to 0
(un)fortunately, they stabilized and healed her before the death throws
and now the roc is dead
and they wanna cook it
>>
>>49292853
At least Mearls said that the favored enemy thing will be counted as a ribbon for mechanical power. The new Natural Explorer is a really good start.

Now pray Mearls isn't talking out of his ass.
>>
>>49292921
Hmm. Maybe so, but I'm still opposed to favored enemy being a thing at all. Rangers need mechanics to study and adapt to any situation or foe. A little more work and setup but no limitations.
>>
>>49292996
If the class is functional in a way that you wouldn't be a moron to stay in it past level 8 or 9, I'll be fine with it regardless of what happens with favored enemy. That stupid feature carries too much weight in the current ranger design, and I can't think of examples from books of rangers that were described as being amazing at hunter one particular type of enemy.
>>
>>49292790
i actually survived, but have a big scar that makes me disadvantage in social stuff (I was the face)
>>
>>49293071
That's ridiculous. Charisma doesn't measure how unmarred you are, it measures your fucking personality.

Maybe disadvantage in very specific situations where the other person gives a fuck. Otherwise it's implying that you're so fucking broken up over your boo-boo that you've lost all self composure.
>>
If this gets me to go ranger rather than Valor Bard Outlander i'll be pretty happy.
>>
Can you do the additional attack from the pounce feature of for example the Lion or the Crag Cat only after you knocked them prone with the same feature, or can you use your bonus action to attack any prone enemies?
>>
>>49293114
He doesn't actually mention any charisma loss though
>>
>>49293263
"One attack against it", i.e. the enemy you knocked down with the charge.
>>
>>49293264
DISADVANTAGE IS EQUIVALENT TO A - 5 PENALTY, OR - 10 CHARISMA
>>
>>49293114
>>49293331
it's disadvantage to persuasion and advantage to intimidate checks, take a chill pill
>>
>>49292226
Uh, try polymorphing into something with enough hit points to tank the fall, then once you make a crater and the spell ends to cause reversion, stand up and dust yourself off?
>>
>>49293376
As opposed to all those other charisma checks. Enjoy playing bagpipes or whatever.
>>
>>49293432
Oh wait I missed the advantage bit. Still saying it's dumb though. Seriously, argue for it to be circumstantial. On both of those ends actually.
>>
>>49293331
He doesn't mention CHARISMA.
Idiot.
>>
>>49293446
The point was his charisma checks were hamstrung, and at that point to only said there was disadvantage, full stop. For a character that was previously the party face that's a massive an inappropriate penalty. As further explained it's still a rather forced changed in role playing mechanics.
>>
>>49293486
He fell at terminal velocity off a fucking Roc.
His playstyle should be different.
He should be dead.
>>
>>49293527
Not an argument
>>
>>49293222
Anybody got a link to roll 20 resources?
>>
>>49293445
DM here again, i'll allow that if the sorceror covers his face with a mask or an illusion, he doesn't get the effect of the horrible facial scars
he thought teleporting himself and the monk on the roc's back midflight was a good idea
then they both failed the strength check to hold on
he misty steps back onto the back, crit fails the strength roll, i houserule that he managed to stun himself by accident for a round
if he finds a high power cleric or druid with a min 6th level healing spell, he can pay to have it reversed
>>
File: fairy-ring.jpg (139KB, 640x426px) Image search: [Google]
fairy-ring.jpg
139KB, 640x426px
/tg/ I'm running a game based around the idea of "Fear the forest". A slew of beasts roam around and such, but also there's a mix of superstition akin to I'd say Fairy lore and what you'd sort of expect from these times.

An example is I'm using a bit from the DMG regarding pools of water that are actually portals to another realm. I'm having them open and close at various times and dates, so there's like a few lakes that common folk just avoid.

My question is, what sort of superstitions do you put into your campaign? Or what are some that you've seen used?
Thread posts: 364
Thread images: 24

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.