[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does a garrote require training to use?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

File: garrote.jpg (6KB, 300x168px) Image search: [Google]
garrote.jpg
6KB, 300x168px
Does a garrote require training to use?
>>
>>49270399
Depends. Does a sword require training to use?
>>
Not on it's own, but you'd want some kind of close quarters training. Most probably holds.
>>
>>49270399
In of itself? No. Its as simple as wrapping some string or wire around the neck and pulling tight. The problem relies on execution of the act. People tend to put their guard up pretty fast when they start to see something moving to strangle their neck.

Guy who uses a garrote would have to be pretty good at stealth, move silently and possibly slight of hand to get the thing around their hand before they can react.
>>
>>49270399
Training? No.

Some practice wouldn't hurt, though.
>>
>>49270399
Stealth? You dont just happen to appear in a good position to use one. Other than that maybe dexterity/agility to get it around them quickly.
>>
>>49270399
Spanish garrote, yeh, you need to be good enough to do it without the other guy escaping.

Now there are legends about how easy was to use the venetian variety and run away...
>>
>>49270411
If I picked up a sword with no training and went into battle, I expect to be disarmed.

By comparison, I think a club or mace is intuitive enough that I can swing it about with some reasonable effectiveness. Perhaps I am deluded.

Is a garrote more like a sword? Or more like a mace?
>>
>>49272159
Neither. Garotte is an ineffective weapon in combat but an effective murder tool. Best used with strength training and practice, but does not require huge amounts of practice in itself to use - Stealth training may be better.
>>
>>49272184
So assuming I have never used a weapon in direct combat, but am familiar and practiced in wearing a soft-heeled shoe and practicing a slow heel-toe gait, and I have more upper body strength than my target, I can simply pick and use a Garrote successfully by intuition alone. Is that correct?
>>
>>49272218
Well it's no like the thing is particularly complicated in design and function so yeah, but as said here it's not a sure bet because speed and stealth play big parts.
>>
>>49272218
You don't need training to use anything that intends to kill someone by surprise.

Prison violence is predicated on this. All the training is involved in concealing the weapon, not in its actual use.
>>
A garrote is a tool, not a weapon. It's a tool used for murdering people but you're not going to use it to duel someone. The skill in using it is the skill in sneaking up behind someone and having the strength to keep them from escaping.
>>
>>49270399
No, just a little practice, or some thought. The only training required would be the training is strength, and stealth so you can approach.
Other than that it's just some tricks, like stepping on the victim's knee, so he can't reach you while you are behind him
>>
>>49272159
>Perhaps I am deluded.
I think so. Fighting is always against an opponent, and training will always make a difference. I suppose you're pretty used to your hands, but you'll get your ass kicked by anyone with experience if it's your first fight.
RPG skills are intended to be used in adversary conditions. Anyone can hit a pot with a sword; anyone can walk on a plank. Skill tests are when you've got a screaming maniac in front or you, or the plank is 30m above ground, with strong winds.
Treat the garrote like any other skill and it will work fine in most systems.

actual stick fighting
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMdZjyU7i54
bonus: nice tuxedo fight at 1.45
>>
>>49278275
>bonus: nice tuxedo fight at 1.45
That fight looks terrible. Awful slow speed, all those spins, Flynning...
>>
>search for garrote pics
>a bunch of maces appear

Well, fuck.
>>
>>49272301
>>49272257

This. You need stealth training, and a little practice with the actual motions won't hurt, but a garrote or a shiv or whatever doesn't require training. That's literally the point. The training is in performing the actions that will make the weapon feasible at all.
>>
>>49278275
That is not a fight, that is a dance. If anyone tried to do that shit in actual armed combat they'd get their ass handed to them.
>>
>>49270399
>sneak up behind somebody
>keep center of gravity low
>throw over neck and quickly loop around once so they can't get it off
>pull them back and stay low so their legs can't support them
>wait for gurgling/bloodsprays
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.