[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>Elves are either mystical Tolkien-esque otherworldly beings

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 213
Thread images: 42

File: 1471959188269.jpg (83KB, 600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1471959188269.jpg
83KB, 600x1200px
>Elves are either mystical Tolkien-esque otherworldly beings of pure good and awesome that put humans to shame but are somehow in decline, or they are cute longeared waifus who may or may not be sluts

Why aren't elves (not drow, elves) more common as a villainous race? I could imagine them being a highly efficient race with a civilization that is fair and just to elves, but considers all non-elves closer to livestocks than to themselves. Sophisticated tyrants who spend their nights plotting their campaigns under the enjoyment of fine elven wine in their fancy villas. The kind of villains who consider all they lay their eyes on theirs, and expect other races to grovel before them by default. Their attitude towards the "adaptable" human race would not be one of admiration, but amusement. They'd simply consider the way humans keep resisting, keeping considering themselves equals to elves and sometimes even overcome the odds to be little more than droll.

In other words, would such a perfect and nearly infallible race not make for better villains than heroes?
tl;dr: Elf Rome wat do?
>>
Femdom fetish paired with being an elven cuck and here you go, you got a thread.
>>
>>49255817
In one setting, I made elves into a wildly successful Mongolian army. Damn near immortal mounted archers. Love of the hunt and veneration for peculiar music and art, clan based progression and fealty. Felt good man
>>
>>49255817
They were portrayed this way in The Last Ringbearer.
>>
File: The Wild Hunt.jpg (135KB, 800x426px) Image search: [Google]
The Wild Hunt.jpg
135KB, 800x426px
>>49255817
>In other words, would such a perfect and nearly infallible race not make for better villains than heroes?

Somebody ask for Elven antagonists?

The Elves in my setting are mostly villainous or at the very least expansionist, too, being extradimensional and extraterrestrial invaders desperate to claim a planet for their own after their own one shattered.
>>
File: My Familiar 2.jpg (55KB, 724x900px) Image search: [Google]
My Familiar 2.jpg
55KB, 724x900px
Raymond Feist. Steven Brust. Mercedes Lackey. Phillip K Dick. Michael Moorcock.

All of these writers had elves as being a major or even THE major adversary.

Your entire premise is pretty much invalidated.
>>
>>49255817
An elvish race is the evil race in Elric!/Stormbringer. In The Witcher saga, elves are not necessarily friendly towards humans (who also happen to hate them). In the whole Elder Scroll thing, the Thalmor are not so well inclined towards humans either. If I recall correctly, in the first editions of Forgotten Realms some elf races (I think they were called wild elves or something like that) are more like barbarians from the forest rather than elegant faggots. In WH40k, the eldar are also ambiguous - not evil, but not good either.
>>
File: 1453285860082.jpg (579KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1453285860082.jpg
579KB, 1000x1000px
It's exceedingly easy to turn Elves into the bad guys, all you've got to do is take their smug sense of superiority and bring it to it's natural conclusion; we are better than you, so we deserve your stuff.
>>
>>49255877

Are you talking about Elric's people?
>>
I don't know, this one looks evil af
>>
File: Elfbait.png (42KB, 249x284px) Image search: [Google]
Elfbait.png
42KB, 249x284px
>>49255817
This is basically what drow are.

Also elves in Elder Scrolls.

And Dungeon Meshi to some extent.

And a bunch of other settings.

It's like you didn't even try with this bait.
>>
>>49255907
The Wild Hunt are all extraterrestrial elves that are evil.
>>
>>49255900
Yes. They were elves.

In Corum's saga, the humans were the dissolute overlords overthrown to let the elves take their rightful place as rulers of the world. This reversal of roles happens a lot in the Eternal Champion series.
>>
>>49255907
>>49255862

God, why are the Aen Elle such cool antagonists?

They're extradimensional Imperialist space Elves that love to hunt and murder people because they can. They've obviously got a wide range of personalities and inclinations, but their most prominent face and the one shown in the setting most often is a cold metal mask.

They ping as cooler than the Thalmor and other evil Elves to me because, unlike most, they're actually not that scrawny.
>>
>>49255817
In my setting, elves are humans that have been tainted and are slowly turning into children's horrors like bogeymen and shellycoats. I think that's kind of evil.
>>
>>49255841
How were they beaten, if ever?
>>
>>49255924

Though I agree Elric's people took the same place as elves usually do in fantasy settings, I disagree about them physiologically being elves.
>>
>>49255817
>Elves are either mystical Tolkien-esque otherworldly beings of pure good and awesome that put humans to shame but are somehow in decline

>beings of pure good and awesome
not Tolkien's elves
>but are somehow in decline
>somehow
Actually pretty well explained in the Tolkien mythos.

Shit thread OP, check your facts next time.
>>
>>49255874
To be fair, OP only knows about elves from browsing /tg/.
>>
>Tolkien elves
>"Pure good"

Fucking lmao
>>
>>49255992
Tall, lean, angular narrow faces, taller than humans yet stronger and far more magically adept.

How are those not elves?
>>
>>49255817
Surprisingly, I actually have a bit of both - I've got fairly generic elves on one side of the world(typical dusk/high/wood elves) living together in not so much harmony, but generally political distaste.

On the other side of the world, however, I have 'Savage Elves'(aka wood elves) that are responsible for a human Empire rising up, because all those elves did was enslave and eat them. Also the BBEG of my setting was an Elf who was like "lmfao fuck this" and became a Lich.
>>
>>49256022

They were just a slightly different ethnicity of human. Like comparing Africans to the Chinese. Their magical prowess was because of ancient pacts with the gods.
>>
>>49255817
I'm honestly surprised that you posted a demon despite talking about elves.
>>
>>49255817
>Elves are either mystical Tolkien-esque otherworldly beings of pure good and awesome that put humans to shame but are somehow in decline, or they are cute longeared waifus who may or may not be sluts

Only as long as you consider just the two or three most mainstream fantasy settings and all the other unoriginal ones that just copied them, honesty.

>Why aren't elves (not drow, elves) more common as a villainous race? I could imagine them being [...] and sometimes even overcome the odds to be little more than droll.

Use this concept in your setting then, it's not bad at all.

>In other words, would such a perfect and nearly infallible race not make for better villains than heroes?

I'd say that any fantasy civilization becomes more interesting when it's something else than purely good or purely evil. These wouldn't be any worse than other imperialist/conqueror civilization, I'd guess. You could have them as antagonists but they wouldn't be straightforwardly evil (like tolkienesque orcs are in opposition to the Free People, for example)
>>
>>49255817
I more or less played this.
The PCs were all orc, goblin and hobgoblin chieftains surviving by sacking elven caravans. Drows were subterrean Bizantium and most other races were elven tributaries or slaves.
In the end the PCs decided to cause slave revolts in a province so the elves and their auxiliaries had to go sedate them and left some otherwise unsackable fortresses and cities defended only by a skeleton force (litteral: roman elves had no problem with necromacy).
This filled them with phat loot but also meant that the Elven Command finally started paying attention to them so they sent Elven-Ceasar (still a general) to reinstate order in the region and beat them to a bloody pulp.
He was more or less succesfull doing that, using illusionists to make The pcs believe his army was marching behind a hill while actually preparing an ambush.
The PCs retired into their land swearing revenge and that's where we left it because people wanted to try Hunter: The Vigil.
We might still get back to it some day. We still have the notes and the sheets.
>>
File: 1414358673790.jpg (219KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1414358673790.jpg
219KB, 1280x720px
>>49256120
>Houtengeki
>Clearly an elf
>Calls it a demon

Didn't we have this, like, three times already.
>>
>>49255817
My elves are pale, cannibalistic carnivores that scheme in the far places away from human expansion. They prey on human fears and plant changelings in human cribs. They ride out of the frozen north on dragon skeletons. They originally came from the stars, and elf liches inhabit the moons in their ziggurats.
>>
>>49255947
i guess pikemen and longbows lel
>>
>>49256504
I saw succubi getting tagged as elves.
>clearly an elf
She doesn't have japanese elf ears.
>>
>>49256581
Nigga you racist
>>
I've made a setting for D&D some time ago where the ancestors of elves came from a land heavily based on ancient China; they were all obsessed with keeping 'harmony' and 'balance', not in a druidic way, but in a way that favored themselves.

They kept korobokuru and other races as slaves, because having them do all the heavy lifting was part of 'the balance'. They went to war with each other from time to time to regulate 'the harmony'.

Simply put, they were using a pseudo-philosophy as an excuse for being dicks most of the time, but they weren't plain evil like drows; it's just that their weird system was the only one they knew for thousands of years and they had literally no reason to change something that has been working all right.
>>
>>49256547
I got to say, they did catch him in a pretty Alzheimer-ish expression here.
>>
>>49256035
>'Savage Elves'(aka wood elves)
>>
>>49255817
My group tends to do this.

Elves are haughty self important shitbirds regardless so they make easy villains

I've personally run a game where i doubled down on that and portrayed orcs as a sort of Greek analogue with a bit of the Jewish diaspora thrown in, the elves basically having stolen all the interesting parts of their culture from the orcs and then displaced them as world power.

The ugly pig nosed marauding orc was played as a racist stereotype, and while orcs might be, for example, bandits, it was less because ALWAYS CHAOTIC EBIL and more because of the socio-economic and political climate they lived in
>>
File: thalmor.jpg (126KB, 1191x670px) Image search: [Google]
thalmor.jpg
126KB, 1191x670px
>>49255817
>I've never paid attention to any fantasy story in the past 20 years
>>
>>49255932
I found them rather underwhelming honestly
>>
>>49255817
>Why aren't elves (not drow, elves) more common as a villainous race?
Because this isn't your magical realm, op.
>>
>>49255817
The elves in the setting I'm playing in have long ears that serve as antenna for a biological wireless network that allows them to communicate at a subconscious level with nearby elves.
Makes them fantastic crewmen for capital ships. Very efficient.
>>
>>49256088
Elves are a different ethnicity of human
>>
>>49257866
Citation needed.
>>
>>49257892
>minute physical differences
>can breed with humans without difficulty
>monocultured as if entire race is part of one ethnicity
>>
>>49255817
>either
>not and
it's like you don't want cute longeared otherworldly waifus of pure good and sluttiness in your setting?
>>
>>49255932
Personally I was let down how little the third game actually went into the whole Aen Elle thing despite it being such a major point.
I like Witcher 3's plot overall, how you're trailing leads and getting into variety of happenings, but then the world hopping with Avallach is over so fast and you get to know next to nothing about them after all, not much more than you get from the books.
I suppose it could be that they didn't want to step on Sapkowski's feet too much more than they already did with their games-that-aren't-canon-except-in-effect-they-totally-are but I feel they missed a lot of potential by not exploring it further.
It's not like they were against of expanding the universe with the games.
>>
>>49257918
>can breed with humans without difficulty
So can demons and dragons. Are those also ethnicities of human?
>>
>>49255817
All of the fiction references are in, now here's one for an actual RPG system - go look up Children of the Sun. There's a whole lot of races, and in the info for each race, it explains why you don't want to be that race - if you're an elf, it's because everyone you ever meet blames you for everything that is wrong with the world. Personally. And they're probably right, you stuck up jackass elf.
>>
>>49257951
Demons and dragons can breed with everything. They're gene rapists
>>
>>49255817
When in Elf Rome, do as Romans do. Do Elves.
>>
>>49256088
>>49257866
>>49257892

Elric himself stated that he wasn't technically a human when he and the other three incarnations fought agak and gagak. Also the Melniboneens are called "half human" several times. I don't think Moorcock intended them to be elves, but elves are the stereotypcial fantasy race that has the most similarities with them.
>>
Good thing I run Eberron.
>>
>>49255817
I don't think Elves ought to be any more advanced than other races, in fact they should be less so. Innovation is something that would only be seen in a short lived race. Elves are stagnant and traditional and suffer from a stale perspective from having lived so many years, and their lifespan ought to generate a general apathy in regards to progress. Why does it matter? They've seen kingdoms rise and fall and trends come and go, why should they give a fuck about technological advancement? They're nonmaterialistic, worried about the things that "really matter" like philosophy, magic, art, and chilltime. Hence their reluctance to get involved in world affairs.

I partially agree with the regard for humans bit but I think it should be leaning towards more wary rather than admiring.
>>
>>49255817
>Why aren't elves (not drow, elves) more common as a villainous race? I could imagine them being a highly efficient race with a civilization that is fair and just to elves, but considers all non-elves closer to livestocks than to themselves.

Because elves are the archetypal 'good' race of fantasy. They're usually so ancient that their society has progressed beyond the want for things like empire. They are characterized by wisdom, intelligence, spirituality and learning - things we as humans, especially in modernity, don't generally attribute to warmongers or racial supremacists. Most elves in fiction only interact with the more mundane world because they are there to fight some terrible evil - elves are on Middle Earth to fight Morgoth, elves only ever go to the Old World of WHFB in number to fight Chaos, etc. Contrary to /tg/ memery, most elves are not really characterized by condescension or snootiness - this is something that doesn't really appear in that many depictions of elves, and is probably a result of people projecting their distaste for more attractive/more successful/smarter people onto the fantasy race that is attractive/more successful/smarter (and it's probably exacerbated by /tg/ having a lot of 40Kids whose main exposure to elves is Eldar).

Evil bad guy elves are subversion of what elves are in most fiction. You don't see many of them because they are totally counter to the basic idea of elves.
>>
File: tmp_6156-14724422197481657713881.png (20KB, 1008x1008px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_6156-14724422197481657713881.png
20KB, 1008x1008px
>>49255817
>Tolkien Elves
>pure good

Fuck's sake, it's not even nessecary to have read the Silmarillion to know this is wrong. The Mirkwood Elves in The Hobbit are bigoted backwoods hicks and drunkards.
>>
File: dude what.png (111KB, 233x233px) Image search: [Google]
dude what.png
111KB, 233x233px
>>49255817
Racial supremacist elves are so fucking done to death by the TTRPG community, I can't help but roll my eyes when I hear anyone talking about them. It's like making elves into SuperNazis is some kind of weird edgy phase all roleplayers go through in their late teens or something.

I'm pretty sure everyone I know has taken part in a campaign with Nazi Elves of some form or another.
>>
>>49255817
>Elf Rome
>Evil
>Rome
>Literally the only empire that was ever conquered in self-defense

Okay, that's not strictly true; Rome was pretty bad by our modern standards, but the Roman Empire itself was mostly Rome going, "Stop attacking us. Seriously, fucking quit it! Right! I'm going to MAKE you stop!" or, "Quit fucking helping the guys attacking us! Right; YOU'RE NEXT!"

Seriously, most of the Pax Roma was, "Don't make me fucking come over there again!"
>>
>>49255817
>he unironically thinks Rome was evil
My ancestors were barbarians and even I know that's wrong.
>>
>>49259633
More like
>You raided our farms once so we're going to your homeland to burn your house, salt your earth and enslave your children
Carthage did nothing wrong
>>
>>49255817
Read Elizabeth Moon. The most hateworthy elves in all of existence. Making people hate elves for two decades before /tg/'s inception.
>>
>>49255817
It's actually a videogame, but what I know, tales of phantasia's antagonists are elves, afaik...
>>
File: no rape for you.jpg (257KB, 780x1309px) Image search: [Google]
no rape for you.jpg
257KB, 780x1309px
In my experience, high elves are very common choices for villains, their sense of racial superiority and longevity being their motivations. Forgotten Realms and TES come to mind.
>>
In my homebrew setting elves are kind of bad guys in a way, I guess.

Essentially, the elves realized that they can't outpace humans in terms of military, and breeding. No matter how many times they figure they'll just fuck like rabbits to keep pace, humans are always a step ahead because they have this innate need to keep moving forward.

So, they use their ethereal beauty to instead interbreed with human nobility. After a few generations, and because Elves (and even half elves) live longer, most of the higher echelons of human kingdoms are elven descended.

Sure, you have some lower noble families still purely human, but those are mostly earned as rewards for services during War or something.

The worst part? To keep human populations in check, The Elf nobles will often go to war with each other just to keep the human population down, and to get rid of the lower noble castes that are predominately human since the elites don't fight.
>>
>Elven nation of isolationists. The society is run, ostensibly, by the ‘Lord Protector,’ who may or may not be simply a personification of the secret cabal which may or may not really be pulling the strings. Most citizens see only the featureless, uncanny porcelain masks of the Ministry of Public Safety, and the firm-set expression of the Lord Protector watching them from nearly every surface. It exists as a police state, governing its people through rampant propaganda and ruthless efficiency. Its rulers are masters of manipulating public opinion, and encourage a culture of reporting one’s friends and neighbors for even minor infractions. Dissenting opinion is suppressed by force, all printing done by official government permit only, and the limited licensed individuals permitted to interact with outsiders are subject to periodic ‘psychic screenings’ to ensure they remain uncontaminated.
>>
File: lorwyn elves.jpg (464KB, 850x638px) Image search: [Google]
lorwyn elves.jpg
464KB, 850x638px
>>49255817
The elves of Lorwyn will straight up murder you if you aren't beautiful. And, of course, their standard for beauty is "go elf or go home."
>>
>>49260680
Orc/elf rape has become such a cliche at this point, that even parody of it has become stale.
>>
>>49255817

Snavely did something like this in his trilogy, though his race wasn't exactly elves, they were immortal human-lookalikes who felt no emotions, and they were pretty fucking terrifying despite being low in number.
>>
>>49261708
so basically Contractors minus the freaky powers/prices
>>
>>49255817
>pure good
I guess you think genocide of fellow brother elf race for the sake of getting some jewels is pure good huh

Or maybe youre just a faggot that inly know elves trough internet memes.
>>
>>49255817
I kind of played them like that in my homebrew setting. They were called dark elves, to differentiate them from the wood elves (which is what people in the setting would consider the standard elf), but didn't really have anything to do with DnD drow. They had a very advanced and sophisticated civilization, and saw themselves as the chosen people of the gods, destined to act as the priests and rulers while the other, less enlightened races would serve them.
The gods they worshiped were also of the horrible eldritch variety, so they tended to combine their imperialism and slavery with human sacrifices and unleashing horrible gribblies on anybody who disagreed with them.
>>
>>49256022
>>49256088

I thought they were descended from dragons?
>>
>>49255817
Already have Elf Rome in my setting.
>>
>>49262289
Don't tease us anon, tell us about your elf rome.
>>
Read Three Hearts and Three Lions if you want some elven villains.
>>
>>49261482
>Draw a satyr
>Call it an elf
>>
>>49255817

Have you heard of the High Elves?
>>
>>49263056
More-or-less always the goodest of good guys.
>>
>>49259842
>once

Carthage was destroyed at the end of the THIRD Punic war. A war they started, just like the other two!
>>
>>49262805
Made up of a part of the old human empire before it fell, the region was the largest supplier of goblin slaves. They were also head in alchemical research, trying to create superior slaves, leading to the creation of things like the hobgoblins and bugbears. The latest creation was the elves, superior to goblins, and even humans, in many ways. Practically immortal, immune to desease, faster, stronger, the only weakness was sterility.

Deemed a failure, and only a few batches were made. Then came the destruction of the empire by the impact of a great pillar of crystalized fire. In the ensuing chaos, the elves rallied the goblin slaves to overthrow their human masters, only to instill themselves into power. Arrogantly, they view themselves as above all others, tolerating their slaves, due to the secret of their reliance on, in more ways than one.

For 200 years, the elves ruled a loose collection of city-states, feuding and politicing amongst themselves, until recently the machinations and alliances of the first empress came to fulmination and the states were unified into the Probus Imperium.
>>
>>49255817
>My elves are an evil, xenophobic, slaving empire!
It's the fastest way to reveal your setting to be a complete meme.
>>
>>49255817
The Nightmare Stacks' elves were cool as fuck. First of Liars best waifu.
>>
>>49260680
Even fucking Baldur's Gate II was packed with elf villians.
>>
>>49264242
thanks for the new read!
>>
Post elves that speak to your ficki ficki urges.
>>
>>49264928
>>
>>49262884
Satyrs are rarely described as slender, black-eyed, or having long ears.

They're dudes with goat legs and horns.
>>
>>49264928
>>
>>49255817
>Elf Rome
>2000 years later the Germans are still pretending that they're elves
>>
>>49255817
Congratulations, you've made Melniboneans.
>>
>>49263521
That's the Roman history, and we can't exactly ask Carthaginians what lead to the war.
>>
>>49265846

And the brits.

They want to be Romans so goddamn badly.
>>
File: 1651bae50f07247525a999341944e7bb.jpg (578KB, 1461x1920px) Image search: [Google]
1651bae50f07247525a999341944e7bb.jpg
578KB, 1461x1920px
>>49264928
Are you sure you wanna go there?
>>
It's hard to make effective elven villians when they're all sex slaves, and there are no males.
>>
>>49255817
Ever heard of the Good Folk? Elves can be in that category.
>>
>>49266528
Yes!
>>
In my setting humans are actually a form of atavism among the high elves evoked in order to keep elven peasants and slaves at the bottom.
>>
>>49266528
I thought I saw a bulge. I stop going to /d/ for a while.
>>
File: Dagoth-Ur.jpg (139KB, 600x323px) Image search: [Google]
Dagoth-Ur.jpg
139KB, 600x323px
I AM THE SHARMAT
I AM OLDER THAN MUSIC
WHAT I BRING IS LIGHT
WHAT I BRING IS A STAR
WHAT I BRING IS
AN ANCIENT SEA
WHEN YOU SLEEP YOU SEE ME
DANCING AT THE CORE
IT IS NOT A BLIGHT
IT IS MY HOUSE
I PUT A STAR
INTO THE WORLD'S MOUTH
TO MURDER IT
TEAR DOWN THE PYLONS
MY BLIND FISH
SWIM IN THE NEW
PHLOGISTON
TEAR DOWN THE PYLONS
MY DEAF MOONS
SING AND BURN
AND ORBIT ME
I AM OLDER THAN MUSIC
WHAT I BRING IS LIGHT
WHAT I BRING IS A STAR
WHAT I BRING IS
AN ANCIENT SEA
>>
>>49269921
This incessant chim posting is starting to get old.
>>
>>49270389
THE SIXTH HOUSE IS RISEN AND LORD DAGOTH IS ITS GLORY
>>
Elves I'm making are a separate race entirely that live slightly longer than humans (Max 150ish years to a human's 100) and are incapable of procreating with them.

They're not really more skilled or anything than humans, to the contrary, humans have made many more advances in technology, while elves have a bit more of a magical advantage
Recently (last century) most of the elven gods were killed by their own demigod creation, the fey, and the last ones around banished the fey to the old realm the gods lived in before to not allow them to do any more harm in the real world.
Now elves are stuck godless and wondering what exactly makes a god a god, living in fear that the fey is coming to take them away because the fey want to bring their "brothers" home.
>>
>>49255817
>Why aren't elves (not drow, elves) more common as a villainous race? I could imagine them being a highly efficient race with a civilization that is fair and just to elves, but considers all non-elves closer to livestocks than to themselves.

This was actually what I went with in my first DND session, ended up making a group favorite NPC (later PC) character based on the idea that elves were super into slavery, humans especially.
>>
post more elf tiddies
>>
Yes, the inspiration used for D&D elves were Poul Anderson's elves and fey, and they were generally villainous, as well as being the inspiration for Exalted's Fair Folk. Its not for nothing that Chaotic Good was still something that viewed social norms and laws as abhorrent.
>>
>>49266420
Melniboneans are probably evil half elves descended from a race of goodier-than-goody-mc-good hyper idealized (more than Tolkienian elves) types.
>>
DnD elves are pretty spooky when you stop to think for more than just "I KICK IN THE DOOR AND TAKE THE TREASURE"
>>
>>49266426
Weren't the Romans so butthurt about the Etruscans they tried to write them out of history?
>>
>>49266429
And the Russians! And the Greeks! And the Turks! And the French!
>>
Why is it, that almost every intelligent race is either ageless or has much longer life than humans?

Its just unfair that they get maybe super strength, intelligence, and other shit, and on top of that live for a long time.
>>
>>49256035
those wood elves better be black or hot chocolate brown.
>>
>>49272386
>>
>>49273714
and the fucking darkvision, man
the fucking darkvision
>>
>>49273714
We can fuck them all stupid while their kind cant.
>>
>>49272386
>>>/e/
>>
>>49256560
>>49255947

and forts.
>>
>>49255884
Doesn't that make humans the truly arrogant ones in any setting where they're parking their asses on former elven territories (see most D&D settings, The Witcher, etc)
>>
>>49259633
The romans were literally orcs whose entire policy was might makes right
The war of the gauls involved no self-defence, neither did the punic wars after round 1.
>>
>>49273219
The french are at least latins, unlike the english who pretend they were somehow part of Rome when they merely invaded the lands of one of Rome's conquered peoples.
>>
>>49255817
it's almost like dark elves are a completely new concept
>>
File: dark elves making friends.jpg (247KB, 700x963px) Image search: [Google]
dark elves making friends.jpg
247KB, 700x963px
>>49276640
They're very friendly
>>
Dark sun campaign setting has them as desert bandits
>>
>>49255817
I like to use them as racial supremacist, who want to make elves great again and put the lesser races where they belong. They usually do this by trying to use some great magic or doomsday machine from the height of the elven civilization.
>>
>>49276958
>BW robe set
>Maje robe set
>Tallum heavy set
One of those things is not like the other.
>>
>>49255874
Which Lackey book had Elves being the major antagonist? I know there was a dark elf variant in Phoenix Trilogy but there was also a similar thing in the Paksennarion books. There's always a Dark Elf to counter the White Elf.
>>
File: CLEAR_AS_DAY.png (44KB, 480x620px) Image search: [Google]
CLEAR_AS_DAY.png
44KB, 480x620px
>>49255817
Are you going to mention a traditional game at some point, or do you just want to bitch about elves in an unidentified setting that might not exist?
>>
I once made the mistake of making the elf supremacist guerilla thing in a world where the humans are objectively invaders, and I'd thrown too many references to things that in retrospect made them mainly doomed badasses fighting for a last hurrah of their people.

So the players all rolled elves, of nearly so. And volunteered. So I rolled with it and they ended up adventuring in the name of a rebellion/bandit kingdom inspired by a mash up of the sioux war era lakota, Glyndwr's welsh rebellion (with a giant heaping from the triads) and the Trung sisters' uprising.
>>
>>49277436
But anon, that sounds great.
>>
>>49276591
To be fair, at this point the English are semi-French. They are what the Germans would be like if the Germans were actually civilized.
>>
>>49277405
We have reached the point where even discussing ideas for a campaign setting/world are off-topic comments. I can already see the logical extreme this would lead to.

>So, do you guys like Monopoly
>Lol, Monopoly is the game that destroys friendships
>I don't know, I play monopoly with my family every sunday after church and we still get along just peachy ((USER WAS PERMABANNED FOR THIS POST. REASONS: BLOGPOSTING, DISCUSSING RELIGION OUTSIDE OF THE RELIGION BOARD, LACKING POST QUALITY))
>>
>>49277491
Oh, it was fun, it was just funny to have players questioning my presentation enough to turn it onto its head.
>>
File: dude.png (122KB, 481x453px) Image search: [Google]
dude.png
122KB, 481x453px
>>49265061
>>
>>49277557
>futanari
>no dick
So what?
>>
>>49277548
>discussing ideas for a campaign setting/world
Those words were not found in the OP.
>>
>>49277557
Where's her dick?
>>
In my setting most elves are too disorganized to form large cities. Evil elves are possible, but it's highly unlikely they'd get anything done
>>
File: 2 of 3.jpg (663KB, 1024x1280px) Image search: [Google]
2 of 3.jpg
663KB, 1024x1280px
>>49277582
>>49277799
http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=58591758

It's a three image set.
>>
>>49277291
>the Paksennarion books

Those books managed to make the elves seem unbearably smug, pompous and self-important (and possibly bullshit artists).
>>
>>49255817
>Based on the norse mythical elves, they were maggots feasting in the brain of the eldest giant, esentially, the god of wisdom. Because of the beautiful thoughts of the god, when the maggots ascended, elves became idealized mortals, closely related to nature, physically pure, elusive, etc. Some of them were good and invited in and out of Asgard, while others were evil, and sent into the darkness (this explains drow very well). Because of this, pure elves have a hard time being villains, but an easy one being snob elitists, since most of their villanous tendencies were purged from the beggining. Tolkien's elves are closely related to christian values suposedly, so there's also that intertext.

>If a culture doesn't adapt quickly enough to a changing environment, for example, pressured by humans or orcs, the civilization goes into decline, and elves live far too long to really want to change things; obviously they didn't have many children, but sometimes they mingled with the races of men, both in legend and in many settings.

>Obviously there's going to be half elves, men have always wanted to be half dragons, half gods, half devils and demons (the father of the famous Merlin the wizard may or may not have been a half demon necromancer), because bloodlines give power and (in the eyes of many) the right to rule over mere men. Sometimes even highly dilluted bloodlines could give decent kings and heroes (think Hector from the Illiad), or a delicious supernatural waifu may be awarded to, or fall in love with a worthy enough mortal, so, waifus.

>As per the slut part, many of those things started in Japan, land of the rising fetish, and perverting "pure, excellent women," to show that in reality every woman is a slut that can be broken by setting's equivalent of horrible basement dweller (orcs are most common, basically used as a metaphor for niggers
a la lovecraft, since japanese men are very conscious of their small size), is a common theme.
>>
>>49278065

The thing is, elves were never meant to be an efficient culture, but rather to be a mature one, born of melancholy, feels and wisdom, and while men always move forward because of their folly, elves were close to stagnation from the beggining. Straight elves can't conquer the world, they simply lack the numbers and the drive to do it, they are a representation of the (dying) conections with the primal nature of the world rather than a driving force of civilization and conquest, Rome at least had time to develop as an empire and lose its drive to internal pollitics first.

Also as it had been pointed out, in many settings elves knew this and tried for means fair and foul to stop the humans from progressing too fast, but failed in every single instance.
>>
>>49277979
>Skyrim_mods.jpg
>>
File: obelix-300x276.jpg (25KB, 300x276px) Image search: [Google]
obelix-300x276.jpg
25KB, 300x276px
>>49255817
>Elf Rome wat do?
LET ME AT 'EM
>>
File: Wir sind sie jaegar.png (371KB, 857x611px) Image search: [Google]
Wir sind sie jaegar.png
371KB, 857x611px
>>49277979
>>
>>49278393
>Orcsterix and Ogrelix
>>
>>49255817
Already written, it's "A land fit for heroes"
...albeit the elves already lost and their Empire's "gone". (They want to change that).
>>
>>49255842
my nigga.
>>
>>49257753
Well... he was pretty Alzheimer-ish for the last 4 or 5 years. His books were still good, but (to me, at least... and I'm as likely wrong as right) they read as though there were a Ghost-writer involved, fleshing out the story.

The diseases that eat away at your mind are pretty cruel. At least he was allowed to die in private.
>>
>>49261482
The elves of Lorwyn will happily murder their own if they end up disfigured. That said, al the Lorwyn factions are fucked-up at some point. Murderous merrow, Paranoid xenophobe Kithkin who kill outsiders, rabid bogarts, malevolent faeries and treefolk who break bones if you break branches. It's a pretty scary place, even after the elves turn good.
>>
>>49262884

Fun fact.

A couple blocks later for the Greek Mythology set, WptC would do satyrs.
>>
File: Gate | Yao Ro Dushi.jpg (261KB, 700x800px) Image search: [Google]
Gate | Yao Ro Dushi.jpg
261KB, 700x800px
>>49269333
>>49276958
I fucking love Dark Elves
>>
>>49281505
indeed
>>
>>49281505
>>49281605
>>>/h/
>>>/e/
>>>/a/
Nobody plays anime or hentai elves. There are no settings with anime or hentai elves to play with traditional games. Brown elves are a cheap gimmick and haven't been done right since Pirotess.
>>
>>49281635
>No /d/
u hi bro?
>>
>>49255817
Elves are pretty villainous in Glorantha last I checked

I'm AngryAngry about Elves!
>>
>>49281664
Brown elves aren't really /d/ in principle.
>>
>>49281664
What's /d/ about brown elves? Unless we're talking /d/ickelves
>>
>people claiming no one uses brown elves in their campaigns
>>
>>49281635
>Nobody plays anime or hentai elves.
>There are no settings with anime or hentai elves to play with traditional games
Do you even MAID?
>>
>>49281752
Nobody claimed that.
>>
>>49281767
You're right, I misread >>49281635
>>
>>49281765
Alright, alright, I give you that. Let's say nothing officially published.
>>
>>49281847
MAID was officially published.
>>
>>49281906
Oh, you are right. Sorry for that.
>>
I always made Elves in my stoires be just content in their surroundings on their massive island until the humans came

Elves always worked in wood, wood tools, wood armour, wood buildings (with no nails just interlocking wood.)
Then Elves saw humans working with iron (they got from drawves who are ultimate little bro civ)
"Wait, you mean this lump of heated and folded rock can cut through our glorious wooden swords? Oh my god this changes everything."

Que Elves spending the next 300 years desperately trying to catch up with basic human comforts.

Kinda like if when Spain popped over to the US if the aztecs tried to learn from them and the Spanish were more than happy to show them.
And in turn they kicked demon ass all over the world.
>>
>>49282003
In my world
Elves are the humans, basic in every way apart from lifespan. Not smarter, not dumber, not stronger, not weaker they just, are.

Humans having spent all their time alongside the Dwarves and Orcs came to favour strength, valour and faith in friends, steel and gods. (In that order.)
They form the strength caste
Halflings and gnomes form the intellectual caste
dragonkin and tiefling (and anyone else) form the spiritual caste serving the people and their needs.
When the Elves came over they never found a place and sort of drifted with their drow cousins (who are a lot more common because the United races frequent the underdark now with trade. The drow, like everything else in my world saw the alure of wealth and thought "that seems like a pretty good deal."

In the end, everybody settled their racial differences and they all work to together to defeat an near constant endless demon invasion that has lasted 1200 years.
(Basicly warhammer)
>>
>>49255817
Well, that's half the plot of Skyrim, if anyone bothered with the plot of Skyrim.
>>
>>49269921
That's Dagoth Ur.
>>
>>49281635
Anima: Beyond Fantasy and Uresia: Grave of Heaven are both things that exist.
>>
It's not a wholly unexplored concept, but I like your thinking, OP.
>>
High elves: Will always be the nazis of the fantasy world. Think themselves master race, and will eventually lead to them "not tolerating the rabble."

Wood elves: Get of my lawn! Angry fantasy hill billies. You chop down a tree, they detroy a village.

Drow: Drow

I mean, these are really easily identifiable cliches that happen often.
>>
>>49282552
The whole civil war thing was sort of incredibly half assed to the point of making me wonder why they even did it
>>
File: 1470573552589.jpg (61KB, 625x533px) Image search: [Google]
1470573552589.jpg
61KB, 625x533px
>>49283114
>A civil war in the land of vikings involves whole 10 people sieging a capital city that contains about as many buildings
>>
File: drow lady.jpg (342KB, 750x1900px) Image search: [Google]
drow lady.jpg
342KB, 750x1900px
My elf flavors:

High Elves: We're better than you. We have our own culture. We're taking your shit.
>Old school imperialism

Wild Elves: We're just like you. We're going to practice your culture for a while. What do you mean we're breeding you out of your own population and gentrifying your local economy? I guess all this is ours now, time to move on.
>Gentrification

Drow: Our culture is great. Our economic and social freedoms are great. Don't you think they're great? We're going to come liberate you, don't worry. The free market and Democracy will fix your country. Slavery will pay for everything, but it will only be your society's undesirables. We promise.
>Democracy building + Neo-colonialism

Wood Elves: Hey, try some of this out. Addictive? No, not at all. First taste is free.
>Narco-Feudalism
>>
>>49255817

Elves are isolationist and tend to keep to their forests, making them bad villains because they don't go out and fuck with other people. The forest connection is strong enough that taking it away makes them feel not like elves as much.

And the whole reason we have things like elves in multiple settings is so that you can use shorthand. Everyone knows that dwarves are greedy and like to mine and elves are haughty or vain and like to lord their awesomeness over people who come visit their awesome villages, and you can use the time you'd spend explaining that on more interesting things. You can tweak it a bit to make it more unique (I like elves as Zoolander-style male models), but if you have elves villages in the mountains it feels wrong, and if your elves stop feeling like elves then there's no point in calling them elves.

It's the same reason as why goblins are basically never a "good" race unless you're making some kind of point about racism.
>>
File: butwhymale.jpg (48KB, 500x474px) Image search: [Google]
butwhymale.jpg
48KB, 500x474px
>>49283845

>"The dark lord is destroying elvish villages looking for the macguffin!"
>"But why elvish villages?"
>>
>>49284261
because it's an elven artifact rumored to be passed down from one chieftain to the next :P
>>
File: do it.jpg (77KB, 666x450px) Image search: [Google]
do it.jpg
77KB, 666x450px
>>49284317

"We have to stop Orcgatu from assassinating the Prime Minister of Elflaysia!"
>>
>>49284341
speaking of which, is that movie any good? I haven't seen it yet
>>
>>49284380

I've only seen the first one.
>>
That was kind of my first impression of how magical races "Should" act.

Elves are high-and-mighty and want nothing to do with dirty humans.
Dwarves are deep underground and suspect any human is going to trick them and steal their shit.
Orcs are just blood thirsty beasts with gorilla-levels of intelligence who know nothing but wrecking shit, and might actually spare a human's life only because they raped them instead.
Goblins? Kobolds? Same shit, just less effective.
Gnomes just get lulz from fucking with humans' shit and magic away when risk being confronted...
Halflings just don't.

So really a fantasy setting was just humans. No social mixing. Everything else either disdains us or would disembowel us well before any diplomancer bullshit could do anything.
>>
>>49255817
>elf thread discussing elven friendliness and or antagonism

So what about this?

Rate and thoughts of elven "antagonism" along with their own human allies in this setting?
>>
>>49284486
Wait, there's more?
>>
>>49284906
One just came out within the last 6 months.
>>
>>49284906
>>49285335
what movie is this?
>>
>>49285665
Zoolander.
>>
>>49284380
First one was kind of funny. Second one I haven't seen, but I don't think it was particularly well received
>>
>>49255817
You should go to Eberron.
>qabalrin elves invent vampires that are still around tens of thousands of years later
>aereni elves are ruled by undying mummy lords with world views that probably clash with those of today's mortals
>valenar elves are dothraki with double scimitars
>the only time dragons and elves ever worked together was to destroy the elven house of vol - and they didn't even succeed. the last scion of house vol has started her own religion and plans to turn all mortals into her undead subjects.

And that's without even mentioning the drow.
>>
>>49281361
... as a RG replacement for elves, even.
>>
>>49255842
The Last Ringbearer is some of the worst Fanfiction ever written.
>>
>>49284800
>elven-human faction beats some bumfuck archaic medeival lands

What is this? The signing of the White Gold Concordat? Typical of elves and humans who befriend them. Revolution and insurgency I say!
>>
>>49289318
Keeping with Eberron's trend of flipping around a lot of racial stereotypes, Eberron drow are probably nicer than the regular elves. They're also jungle-dwelling scorpion-worshipers, which is the obviously the opposite of underground-dwelling spider-worshipers.

Not that they're particularly nice at all, but they're mostly just a bunch of xenophobic savages that hang out in their forests and shoot you full of poison darts if you wander into their lands (but leave you alone if you don't trespass on their turf), while the most common type of regular elves are not-Mongols with all the raping and pillaging that implies.
>>
>>49278870
kek
>>
>>49278065
>they were maggots feasting in the brain of the eldest giant
That's dwarfs
>>
>>49255817
Warmachine has one of its elves nurglefied and the other is bent on destroying all humans because lore and dicks
>>
File: 1308312934297.jpg (100KB, 836x800px) Image search: [Google]
1308312934297.jpg
100KB, 836x800px
Well.
Easy way to make elves more interesting is to make elves more fey
Picture not related
>>
>>49291277
when life gives you lemons
kill all humans
>>
>>49269569
Nobody knows the trouble I've seen,
Nobody knows my sorrow
>>
File: 012.jpg (179KB, 1280x1863px) Image search: [Google]
012.jpg
179KB, 1280x1863px
Elves are declining.
>>
>>49283307
You gotta give something in exchange for high-tier graphics
>>
>>49283307
On the PS2 there was a game called Summoner which had huge dungeons, huge cities, and huge areas in general.

IT SUCKED. The areas were huge and empty, and very repetitive. Yes, Skyrim isn't all that big, but would you rather have huge cities of nothing, or small towns of something?

I do agree the civil war was absolute shit though. If people weren't demanding ridiculously good graphics all the time, I could imagine Total War sized battles
>>
>>49255817
>elf rome
>elf

Erase it.
>>
Well in the campaign I run at the moment, elves are seen as savages because they tend to eat humanoids they beat in battles.
They make somewhat interesting slaves, because their female elf male human offspring is unfertile, strong and good for manual labour.

nobody fucking likes elves or half-elves.
>>
>>49281635
>implying hentai elves aren't the best kind of elf
>>
>>49290806
Don't forget the Umbragen (making shadow pacts in order to fight aberrations) and Sulatar (basically Wakanda with fire worship).
>>
>>49291403
>>49291423
The Skyrim "remaster" won't even fix the main problems of the game, just slap on some screenspace and filters and call it a day
>>
>>49291403
Sure but Skyrim didn't even have that.
>>
>>49291502
Tell me about that great hentai elf you once played.
>>
"Tolkien-esque" is a term I really wish people would stop using. Tolkien wasn't original in the slightest and he didn't even pioneer the modern fantasy craze.
>>
>>49291361
I recognise that elf!
>>
>>49255817

>Elven Rome

Pfffr, boring. It's better to have first Umayyad Caliphate ended by Abbasid Revolution, Crusades and then Sacking of Baghdad and eventually elven Somalia/Balkans/Syria.

Hell, you can even quite easily mix it with the lore from "Elves of Alheim", old OSR DnD Gazetteer book.

So at first you have a Prophet/Hero that is uniting elves and then ascending to energy realm or something like that, then major elven tribe dominating over others, conquering new lands etc. (Umayyad Caliphate), then elves within the clan (caliphate) and outside of tribe being discontent with the last military use of them in heavy fights and with religious views of said tribe, add to this treatment of elves and other creatures outside of clan and their discontent and you have First Elven Civil War (Abbasid Revolution) and split of elven lands.
The original tribe (Umayyads) now called Dark Elves establish themselves for the next 700 years across the sea in prosperous kingdom until they will be slowly driven back by humans. (Islamic Spain and Reconquista)

Then you have Elven Golden Age and Wars with Humanity (Crusades) that humans fought to defend dwarven kingdoms and human population there and in truth to control trade and flow of resources from elven lands. After initial success, they fail hard.

But from the east there come beastmen/orcs/hobgoblins/bugbears led by powerful warlord XYZ and supported by human barbarian tribes (mongol invasions). They eventually destroy elven capital (Sacking of Baghdad) and put elven kingdoms into disarray from which they will never rise again.
>>
>>49291961

And now, 500 years later we have say, Syria. Wood-elf minority rules elven kingdom oppresively and protects other elven and sometimes non-elven minorities. High-elf majority is rebelling against that, some minor genocide happens and war rages on. Magical and religious sect of elves (brown elves?) uses the opportunity and wants to establish their own kingdom after securing some domains (Kurds) and Dark Elves go full #yolo with their orthodox religious views on Ascending and recruit every elf they can and non-elves that turn into believers (ISIS).

And we have crumbling human empire on the border that is actually a late Rome and that is plagued with Second Elven Civil War spreading across the border and neighbouring former barbarian & beastmen kingdom (Iraq) getting fubar by elven ISIS destroying it from within.

Situation is very difficult because Elven lands were usually a buffer for Human Empire (Rome) between them and beastmen/barbarian tribes. Elven lands also are important geographically (think Horn of Africa, trade routes), economically (resources, elven culture also being very influential in human empire) and historically (Wars with Humanity).

Not to mention that religious-magical extremism of elves is incredibly dangerous since they have no regard for non-elven life and will sacrifice hundreds of souls just to teleport or open a portal to the Plane of Energy where the original Ascended elf and those that followed him are now.
>>
File: 1388354199669.png (107KB, 425x437px) Image search: [Google]
1388354199669.png
107KB, 425x437px
>>49257954
So being an elf is like being white?
>>
>>49292124
>they're probably right
more like being a jew any time prior to 1980
>>
>>49292435
>prior to 1980
People just stopped blaming them because they mastered the use of the nazi card.
>>
>>49276565
Except unlike orcs they were pretty clean and organized.
Thread posts: 213
Thread images: 42

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.