[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A Setting Where Humans Are Rabble

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 318
Thread images: 57

File: 1451158466773.jpg (625KB, 1700x1100px) Image search: [Google]
1451158466773.jpg
625KB, 1700x1100px
Without going into too much detail about where I got the idea (funny story, but irrelevant for this post), what does /tg/ think about a setting whose main concept is that humans, and all the other "standard fantasy" races, for that matter (e.g. elves, dwarfs, etc.) are basically the world's rabble and irrelevant in the great scheme of things? The nations of the world, or at least the only ones featured in the "setting", which may just be a region thereof, are all ruled by powerful nonhuman beings - dragons, giants and liches, to be specific - and use the "standard races" as slaves, food, worshipers, cannon fodder or in the last case experimental subjects/skeletons in the making. When they go to war, the human troops are basically a massive meat shield for the titans striding the battlefield, flinging them aside by the hundreds with each strike. The human cities and villages are basically incidental attachments to the giant or dragon cities (or lich temple complexes), built around or onto the settlement as a form of city sized "servants quarters". Being accidentally stepped on to death by a dragon is only uncommon because the little races are considered useful.

(cont.)
>>
>>49238978

The main reason I'm asking this is because the idea was not, originally, for an RPG starring little races. It made them inconsequential to the setting because they were inconsequential in general. However, it has occurred to me that playing them might actually make for a nice change of pace. The obvious way of using such a setting is letting the players play giants/dragons/liches, but there's something nice, I think, about taking the role of the local "minion" equivalent and being sent on quests by your giant lord because he's currently too busy doing IMPORTANT things.

On the other hand, wouldn't it make the players feel a little bit useless? It's not always fun to feel like you're inconsequential to the setting. There's also the fact that, at least the way I've designed it, each of the "factions" (giant ruled, dragon ruled, lich ruled) has a fairly different culture and atmosphere and are all at war. Intermixed parties would be difficult - the humans of each side are too indoctrinated by their masters to get a long.

Is this anything like a good idea? Would you play it? Would you change anything about it?
>>
>>49238978
This IS your magical realm, isn't it?
>>
>>49239051
Nope. It was originally a concept for an RTS I discussed with a friend. It started with the idea for a "like Supreme Commander, but with a fantasy theme", and then we had the idea of making it more about the interaction between the large and small scale units (e.g. Shadow of the Colossus style humans climbing up dragon's wings). The lich faction's giant units would be golems and demons and stuff.

But obviously, we can't actually make an RTS, so I thought it might be interesting to see if at least the setting we've designed may work for a roleplaying game. The problem is that it was designed with a strategy game in mind, and the giant units as the core. Doesn't make for good dungeon crawling.
>>
>>49239051

Look at OPs pic.

There's no way this isn't a magical realm.
>>
>>49238978
Did you come from the CYOA thread?
>>
>>49239096
Again, see >>49239085
The pic was just what /tg/ gave me a while back when I asked for "giant wrestling dragon".

>>49239102
CYOA?
>>
>>49239113
In fairness, Google disappoints. I tried searching "Giant Wrestling Dragon" and just got WWE pics.
>>
File: 1439273238621.jpg (2MB, 1200x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1439273238621.jpg
2MB, 1200x1600px
>>49239096
I don't know about that. Not OP and giantesses are as far away from my magical realm as possible, but I like the idea of a kindhearted giantess taking a human city under her wing and protecting it from evil creatures the humans can't deal with themselves. She'd probably be pretty popular among the humans and constantly recieve gifts in gratitude (mostly food, because being that huge comes with a healthy appetite).
>>
>>49238978
Very bad picture choice, OP. Your chances of getting relevant responses are pretty much zero.
>>
>>49238978
This sounds like any old fantasy rpg realm
>>
>>49239085
Well, Supreme Commander was shit, so I wouldn't expect anything more.
>>
>>49238978
What is stopping the rabble from rising up against their masters? Or do humans in this setting have none of the tenacity inherent to the species?
>>
>>49239085
Didn't you just describe the battles of Black & White 2?
>>
File: nabjD8A.png (2MB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
nabjD8A.png
2MB, 1080x1080px
Reminds me of some MMO released a couple years ago. You play as a huge guy, about 15 stories tall or so and human worshippers ride you. Your humans fight hostile humans who try to climb you and you can throw your humans onto the enemy giants to deal passive damage. A human could fit in your hand with his head and feet poking out of either side of your grip so you can image that even such a small sword would leave a nasty cut.

Also there were titans as big compared to the players as the player is to the humans. I don't know what the point of them was.
>>
>>49239085
Pick a system with mass combat rules, and just work out how xboxhueg monsters work with it. Players are minions of whatever boss working for their own improvements; they'll never tand on par with a dragon, but they get conrol over bigger and bigger human/elf/etc portions of the army as they get promotions, letting them get into the mass combat once they've done some recon missions and non-mass skirmishes.

As a side note, all dragons and all liches being factions seems a little odd - I understand the three-way appeal for an RTS, but for a setting you'd probably want a couple of kingdoms for each, given the jealous nature of most fantasy dragons and similar attitudes for ancient wizards. They'd have less-powerful underlings as special units though.

...Thinking about it, I'm pretty sure I just described WHFRP that eventually just becomes WHF. There's got to be rules for that shift.
>>
>>49239178
Presumably, they either did or tried to at some point in the distant past, before realizing tenacity's really only so much good against an opponent that's a hundred times physically larger, more civilized, has more advanced technology, more intelligent on average and has access to more powerful magic. I'm talking giants in the "godlike jotun" sense, not "big, stupid person" sense. Dragons are also Eastern mythology style divine beings. Liches are magical powerhouses. Resistance was crushed.
>>
>>49239182
Holy shit, that sounds awesome. Got names?
>>
>>49239085
Intriguing. Got any more about it?
>>
>>49238978
So, you want Steven Brust's Phoenix Guard series.
>>
File: metro2033_5a.jpg (198KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
metro2033_5a.jpg
198KB, 1024x576px
>>49238978
Make it something akin to fantasy version of metro 2033. Or human version of Mouseguard and Redwall. Humans are tiny fucks who survive by the sheer virtue of blood, steel, and sacrifice. We hide in dark corners of the world waiting to shank dragons and giants when they sleep.
We're not growing but we're not dying out either.
>>
>>49239192
By factions, the intention was "playable sides", not necessarily unified political factions in-setting. Think of them as like the nations from Rise of Legends: each has its own aesthetic and setting, but each campaign basically feels like its own fantasy world, in a way. We intended for there to be more factions vs. faction battles (giants big enough could literally pluck low-flying dragons out of the sky), but in-setting they're more "races". That is to say, not all giants are on the same side, not all dragons work together, etc. They have the same units, same structures, and so on but they can totally fight.

Lorewise, most (but not all) of the giants are unified under one king, the dragons have a "warring kingdoms" style situations where various dragon-lords rule over lesser lords, but nobody rules everyone, and the liches are nominally unified but their god-emperor is an ineffectual idiot and in practice the whole Immortal Court is full of backstabbery and pettiness which translates into Lich vs. Lich battles in-game.
>>
File: 139483627938.png (563KB, 569x802px) Image search: [Google]
139483627938.png
563KB, 569x802px
>>49239182
> a game about playing as a big guy
>>
>>49239203
Satisfactory answer. Where are there character sheets? I'm ready to start.
>>
>>49239261
From OPs description, it seems we ain't doing neither. We're slaves/subjects/food.
>>
>>49239178

To help you visualize this better, the giants are the equivalent to Europeans while the humans are Zulus.
>>
File: crown of swords.jpg (679KB, 1080x790px) Image search: [Google]
crown of swords.jpg
679KB, 1080x790px
>>49239220
Ascend: Hand of Kul

>>49239289
I DELIBERATELY avoided using "big guy"
>>
File: jotun city.png (2MB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
jotun city.png
2MB, 1600x1200px
>>49239233
The main inspiration was Supreme Commander with its jaw-droppingly huge experimentals, combined with a frustration with the fact classical fantasy RTSs appear to be becoming a dying breed. We thought "what makes epic fantasy battles exciting? giant monsters and huge armies", and the idea sort of rolled off from there. Everything was theoretical, obviously, but we talked quite a bit about gameplay mechanics, made unit lists, stuff like that. The "gimmick" is on the interaction between the "micro" and "macro" scale units. Micro units come in big battalions and have simplified UIs, you basically manage them (ironically) solely on a macro scale. They're good for strategic purposes like hampering the enemy, occupying small zones, zerg rushing, etc. but they aren't the main damage dealers. Dozens or hundreds of them need to work together to bring down a macroscale unit.

Macroscale units are the ones the battle revolves around. They get hit locations, detailed interaction animations (the aforementioned giants wrestling with dragons), and tons of special abilities that need managing.

When they meet microscale units, fun stuff happens. They can stomp them to death, but they can also be climbed on and brought down. They can pick them up and throw them (or eat them), but they can be overwhelmed and tied down Gulliver style. They can shield them with their bodies or offer buffs.

(cont.)
>>
File: jotunn.jpg (230KB, 1280x602px) Image search: [Google]
jotunn.jpg
230KB, 1280x602px
>>49239471
The three races were called the Thrym, Vritra and Anu. Thrym was the giant ruled faction, with a primarily Norse aesthetic, but also some Celtic and Slavic influences. Basically cultures where bearded people live in snow. Their microunits included stuff like elves and dwarfs (their workers), while their macroscale units started at trolls and went all the way up through frost and fire giants to godlike storm titans who fling lightning everywhere from their hammers. Their maps were made up of fjords and mountains (high verticality, meaning they had to climb and jump a lot), often snowy. Cities basically looked like pic related >>49239471

Gameplay-wise, they were the "balanced" faction. Giants are relatively cheap and powerful, but at a disadvantage compared to many macroscale units due to being landbound. They need good support from their microscale armies to survive, but their microscale units are high quality. They don't have a whole lot of special abilities/spells to have to manage in battle.

(cont.)
>>
File: rva8CjG.jpg (627KB, 2182x1636px) Image search: [Google]
rva8CjG.jpg
627KB, 2182x1636px
>>49239491
Vritra was the dragon faction. Their aesthetic was Southeast Asian/Indian with a little bit of Chinese in it. The dragons generally looked western (we needed them to have wings to be vulnerable), but we imagined them as being a lot more colorful and having lots of extra bits like whiskers, manes, jewels growing out of their bodies, etc. Their maps are misty jungle with tracts of marshlands, and their cities have a lot of gold statues and domed pagodas. Microscale units are mostly humans, but also include things like animal headed spirits, serpent people and minor gods.

Their biggest advantage is that all but one of their macroscale units fly. The problem with this is that while flight is useful for getting around, ultimately most important things to interact with are on the ground. Dragons have to descend to deal with enemy structures or armies, which makes them vulnerable. While flying high, however, they are at a distinct advantage.

To balance this, their microscale armies are zerg type. Lots and lots and lots of units, but they are individually weak. They need close dragon support to stand a chance.

(cont.)
>>
>>49239560
Anu was the lich faction. Meant for more high-skill players, they defied the order of the game by blurring the lines between micro and macro scale units. Their most powerful and important battlefield setpieces, the liches themselves, are human SIZED, but their abilities are giant SCALED. Their spells can cover entire armies and influence the shape of the map. Since they are so micromanagement heavy, there are also very few of them. They are fragile, so they must be protected.

Their biggest units are NOT their most valuable. To go toe-to-toe with dragons and giants, the Anu summon or bring to life golems, demons and massive war machines. But these are relatively weak: they need magical support from the nearest lich to shine.

Their microscale units are mostly undead, but also include armies of humans with spears, chariots, elephants, etc. as well as smaller demons.

Aesthetically speaking, we're talking Sumerian, Babylonian and Akkadian with a touch ancient egypts. Stepped pyramids, huge statues, heavy magic all around.

Their cities are mobile. Their maps are mostly rocky or sandy desert, and are very flat. Nowhere to hide.
>>
>>49239182
>>49239220
Sounds a bit like Black and White.
>>
>>49239616
So what stops a Dragon swooping down onto a Lich?
>>
>>49239664
Clever use of magic, and hopefully an army of skeleton archers and/or giant golem to ride.

But yeah, liches are vulnerable to that. They're the Protoss of the game, they have to manage their abilities to survive.
>>
>>49239664
Sounds to me like you shouldn't be bringing them to the front line at all. They're more support units, standing behind their armies casting huge spells.
>>
>>49239694
I feel like this all needs a permenant record somewhere. Got a Pastebin or Google Doc?
>>
>>49239616
>>49239560
>>49239491
>>49239471
Any naval element at all?
>>
>>49239471
Did you notice that in strategy games, whichever faction is closest to "American/Northern European humans" will tend to be the balanced/starter/plays-just-like-Terran one? Like, if it's a fantasy or science fiction game, it'll be the humans. If there are several factions of humans, it'll be the Nordic ones. If it's a modern style game, they'll be the Americans if the other factions aren't American or the UN or EU or something.
>>
>>49239747
A fun observation about modern and near future themed RTS': there was once a time where it was standard for the "good guy" faction to be the one using a few, subversive units with weird special abilities and the "bad guy" faction to be the one who can do massive juggernaut tank rushes.

Ever since 2001, this trend has curiously reversed itself.
>>
>>49239778
An interesting point, though not universal - both command and conquer universes pretty much stuck to their guns - the GDI was always the good guy juggernaut, the soviets remained big for Red Alert 3

Completely true for C&C Generals, but the reason their is obvious - and the tank rushes went to the "semi-good" faction... who iirc ended up the canonical winners
>>
File: li-zi-8(1).jpg (1MB, 1920x2400px) Image search: [Google]
li-zi-8(1).jpg
1MB, 1920x2400px
>>49238978
It's called Exalted.

>The nations of the world, or at least the only ones featured in the "setting", which may just be a region thereof, are all ruled by powerful nonhuman beings

Yup, Exalted.

>and use the "standard races" as slaves, food, worshipers, cannon fodder or in the last case experimental subjects/skeletons in the making.

Exalted alright.

>When they go to war, the human troops are basically a massive meat shield for the titans striding the battlefield, flinging them aside by the hundreds with each strike.

100% Exalted.
>>
>>49239910
What if you DON'T want a load of weaboo fightan magic shit though?
>>
>>49239926
Godbound
>>
>>49239926
Why wouldn't you want a load of weaboo fightan magic shit?
>>
>>49239919
Ah, I couldn't recall how the base campaigns went, I just remember the US retreating to its boarders and losing an aircraft carrier in the expansion while china rose to new heights

Still annoyed Generals 2 went nowhere
>>
>>49239145
>giantesses are as far away from my magical realm as possible
>but I like the idea of one of the most patrician GTS scenarios
Anon I think you're confused
>>
>>49239728
We did it years ago, half in our heads, half on paper. Whatever's on paper is not in English. But if I have time later this evening, I'll look into maybe uploading a unit list or something like that.

>>49239736
We considered it (something about the image of giants wading through the sea, and it's only up to their waists), but decided that it kind of takes the focus away without feeling essential to the gameplay or storyline. At one point, we did envision an (equally imaginary) possible expansion pack or DLC focusing on a fourth, naval focused faction ruled by Great Old Ones style tentacle monsters and featuring armies of Deep Ones and scary merpeople (the Thrym would get longships and sea-serpent style naval units, the Vritra would get junks and sea dragons, while the Anu would get golden temple-barges and biblical whales), but we hit the Aquaman problem. The oceanbound faction would be at a major disadvantage on any map without heavy water coverage, and that just doesn't make for good game balance.

That said, I can't see why not to add them to an RPG focusing on the little people anyway.
>>
>>49239471
>>49239491
>>49239560
>>49239616
Sounds pretty cool.

I like the idea that the liches big units are designed to stonewall and tie up the enemies macro units while their liche bosses get into position with the hard-hitting magic or to empower their micro-units
>>
>>49240248
Yeah, a pure "naval" faction would be pretty gimped unless water was always present, but I do think your ideas for naval units sound cool as hell
>>
>>49240248
>>49240292
How about a fourth, Grecian style army? They could have sirens, nymphs, and a ton of sea monsters for water warfare, lots of ships types, and wouldn't be gimped on land due to armies of minotaurs, centaurs, cyclopses, etc.

Only question is what kind of giant creature would rule them. I'd say titans or cyclopses, but it overlaps too strongly with the Thrym. Anything from Greek myth which is huge without being some kind of giant or dragon?
>>
>>49240248
You could have the Great Old Ones operate from a seperate underground/cavern map a la HoMaM. Other factions could send units down there from specific entrances but only they could build structures.
>>
Forgetting the imaginary RTS for a moment and returning to the realm of RPGs, I sadly think this is a bad idea. Playing a giant or dragon in this setting and doing some big shit while puny humans flee from your shadow? Awesome. Being puny humans being sent to their deaths by a dragon? What's the fucking point? Why would I like to play that?

Also, I suggest that to satisfy the HFY crowd, make it so the lich faction/Anu WERE once the "uppity humans" who didn't want to get shit from giants and dragons. They retaliated by mastering magic. Ironically, since they turned themselves immortal and had to use massive slave sacrifices to accomplish this over the ages they became just as oppressive of "other" humans as any of the bigger creatures.
>>
>>49239747
Because if you throw aside politically correct bullshit, you realize that your game is most likely going to be sold mostly to white westerners. Therefore, they'll feel the most sympathy for that faction and want to play as them the most. It makes sense that the faction that will be played as first will be the simplest to get used to.
>>
>>49239870
In Red Alert 1 and 2, the freaking MANUAL actually flat out said "the Allies use clever tactics, the Soviets use brute force". In 2 moreso, though.

But yeah, before the war on terror 'MURRICAH was still high off the victory at WWII and feeling threatened by BIG SOVIET BEARSKI, so they were the plucky, intelligent good guys and the bad guys were the lumbering brutes with the giant tanks (they just mysteriously forgot Vietnam, apparently). You could also see something similar done with the early Warcraft games, were whatever tiny differences there between the two factions specialized the "good guy" Alliance into using clever tactics to defeat the "bad guy" Horde specializing in many big units.

Come the war on terror, and suddenly the good guys were the decent, straightforward, big Americans/American stand ins while the bad guys were the pesky terrorists using subversion tactics.
>>
>>49240427
You could be climbing up an uncaring dragon in the middle of a battle and stab it in the eye, making it flinch, saving hundred of other puny humans from it's wrath and giving your giant the perfect opportunity to fustigate it.

You could go dungeon delving into a Lich dungeon or demi-plane where the titans can't reach to destroy or at least damage their phylactery.

The players could try to gain the powers of minor/demi gods, which might let them survive getting stepped on a few times.

I'm sure you can think of something.
>>
File: 1472596297516.png (443KB, 475x599px) Image search: [Google]
1472596297516.png
443KB, 475x599px
>>49239165
>Supreme Commander was shit
>Supreme Commander
>Shit
No
>>
>>49240333
Most stuff from greek myth is pretty mid-sized, or large but not Huge - Hydra, Nemian Lion, that sort of thing - usually they were killable by humans, or demigods at least.
They had gods and titans, but make them big and they impinge on the Thrym, make them small they're like living Anu

>>49240704
Yeah, and Red Alert 2 was from 2000.

What I meant was that when Red Alert 3 rocked around they didn't change it - allies were still sneaky, soviets were still tough - they didn't suddenly make the allies less sneaky.

And then there was Japan, who were focused on being fast and flexible, but brittle

I'd kind of like to see a Red Alert style Vietnam, with the US going all dirty tricks, or at least having a dirty tricks sub-faction
>>
>>49239165

How's starcraft 1 treating you there, champ?
>>
>>49240836
Wasn't Vietnam the most triumphant example of the US coming in as the brutal powerhouse faction with all the latest in heavy, cumbersome firepower, only to have their asses handed to them by a bunch of scrawny chinks with kalashnikovs digging pits and hiding in the bushes?
>>
>>49240836
You could combine both ideas with an Atlantis or occult science theme (that's not something you see in a lot of fantasy settings, so it's fairly original). The Great Old Ones command an army of minotaurs, sirens, nymphs and so on, all with an architectural style combining doric pillars and hanging gardens with tons of flowing water. I can imagine the waterfalls falling off their buildings and so on. This is combined with a sort of alien, mysterious atmosphere, like some of the buildings are made of corral in bizarre colors or have hypnotic lights shining out of them.

Besides the Greek mythology inspired units, they could also have units referring to occultism or conspiracy culture, like spellcasters shaped after gray aliens, Deep Ones, mothmen, or even flying saucers.
>>
>>49240877
Home was fucking tired of war, and political bullshit prevented us from nuetralizing enemy assets (Harbors, bridges, etc), as well as preventing us from even entering North Vietnam. All in all, a gigantic cluster fuck we shouldn't have been involved in, but we did anyway, and to top it off, we gimpped ourselves.
>>
>>49240952
HAHA! Those illiterate, shoeless children with rusty 30 year old weapons were no match for our aerial bombardments of chemical weapons!
>>
>>49240877

Vietnam was where a nation that didn't have an Airforce kicked the shit out the US in air sorties so hard that number of Vietnamese aces was like 15-20. The US had 2. It's the entire reason why the Top Gun pilot program was implemented.
>>
>>49240877
Also the war famous for the US using psyops and chemicals and things, which is what I was thinking of.

But yeah, vietnam is one of the more striking examples of the US going in big and expensive against sneaky stealthy guys, though I'd associate that more with more recent operations I think

Maybe just have it in sub-factions, like the Generals
>>
>>49239471
>>49239491
>>49239560
>>49239616
I'd play that game
>>
>>49241133
Second. That sounds fucking awesome.
>>
What other factions for the RTS can we make up? I figure we need the following things:

1. A cultural theme
2. A unique race of giant or powerful creatures to rule them
3. Specific game mechanics or purpose
>>
>>49239942
> Calling a question mark a interrogation mark
Fuckin terrorists
>>
>>49241385
it is an interrogation mark you americunt

it's a latin principle
>>
>>49238978
you just described primal rage. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primal_Rage
>>
>>49241342
Always a sucker for Nomads. People who haven't really settled down ever.

Cross between Romanies, Saharan African Tribes, and Native Americans. All of their stuff would look ramshackle, probably stolen from the other factions.

Living Manifestations of the Elements would be their macro units. The traditional four, plus a fifth to represent the Family. It would be like a Totem Pole that buffs the living shit out of everything near it.

Their mechanics would be to literally salvage the corpses of enemies. The more shit they pick up, the more powerful of the units would become. One of their highest level units would be able to resurrect fallen macro units of other factions. Not fully functional, but enough to be a boon.

Their maps would be rivers, crossroads, and the outskirts of mega-cities.
>>
>>49238978
>come to thread expecting the mother of all magical realms
>find surprisingly nice fantasy setting/RTS concept I'm now sad will never be made
>>
>>49240704

Vietnam also fought the communists. They were a wildcard to be respected - US and Nam actually became pals after the war, IIRC, especially after Nam fought off China.
>>
>>49241553
Building off that idea, I don't think there's EVER been a fantasy strategy game with a Native American themed faction.

There inhuman rulers would be huge animal spirits. Thunderbird, Uktena, Great Wendigo, Coyote (represented as a gigantic, shadowy coyote who can swallow battalions whole, but can also change shape to a nondescript microunit to fuck with the enemy and has a tone of misdirection/illusion style abilities), Grandmother Spider, etc.

Their microunits will include the obligatory tomahawk waving braves and anachronistic Lakota horseriders, but also entities like living kachina dolls, kowi'anukasha hiding in the trees, obsidian giants, and skinwalkers.

In terms of gameplay niche they will not have cities at all, or maybe only a few structures (Anasazi style monolith dwellings?), making them highly mobile. Maps will include arid plains and flat topped mountains and canyons.

Only thing I'm kinda worried about is this is truly a horribly offensive mishmash of the cultural traits and folklore of tribes from literally all over the continent. I bet there's someone out there who knows enough Native American mythology to be able to give this shit more focus. I think the Southwestern nations had the most usable material for our needs
>>
>>49240716

Turning a Lich faction into an Anti-Empire of the WFB fame sounds like a plan; they're fed up with all the giants bossing them around and want to show then that there's more to power than size. To complete his vanity, said lich is never seen without his body-encasing suit of golden armor, making him look indistinguishable from his elite warriors aside from the fact he wears an elaborate cape.

Rather than fighting using other mega units, they'd deal in traps. Massive holes to ensnare giants and break their bones, barrage balloons to entangle dragons. Their ground forces manly exist to be a distraction to steer the opposition into traps, but they're also among the best when it comes to countering fellow micro-units with an iron discipline in order to execute their lord's tactics flawlessly. They would be the sneakiest of factions, which would ironically go against their heroic Holy Roman Empire-esque image.
>>
>>49241832
I was under the impression that the Anu were a well established empire that has been fighting the Thrym and the Vritra for centuries, if not more. Any ideals of "standing up to the titans" have long, long, long ago been subsumed into the "we are immortal god kings, fetch me a hundred more slaves to throw into the sacrifice pit" mentality.
>>
>>49241881
Yeah, they're modeled after mythological Mesopotamia. The gods they are fashioned as were self-centered to the point of making the Greek Dodekatheon look like a bunch of Bodhistavas. What's that? Gilgamesh (a horrible dictator who slaved his people to death building a vanity wall) wouldn't sleep with me and die? DAD, FETCH ME THE GIANT MONSTER THAT KEEPS THE RAIN FALLING AND THE SUN RISING OR I WILL RELEASE A PLAGUE OF UNDEATH ON THE WORLD. Oops, the Bull of Heaven died? Thousands will starve? Meh. Remember when the people of Atrakhasis made too much noise in the night, so we flooded everything?
>>
>>49241881
>>49241940

If nothing else, that could be established as a reason the Lich empire began in the first place in spite of its morally questionable use of magic, with the Anu's modern state being the result of really bad motive decay.

The idea of a Lich decked out in armor to hide the fact he's a lich sounds cool, though.
>>
>>49241802
Gotta add in some Apache Raiders. The real question is: How far south do you want to go?

Aztecs, Mayans, and Incas all had some badass soldiers and Gods.
>>
>>49241998
Too aesthetically similar to the Anu (stepped pyramids), setting too similar to the Vritra (misty jungles).
>>
>>49241998
>>49242037
Plus, mesoamericans are often used in RTS games. Northern natives, less so.
>>
>>49242037
>>49242156
A'ight. Let's stick with Northern Native Americans.

Apache Raiders, Dog Soldiers, Ghost Dancers, etc. Lots of cool shit man.
>>
>>49242176
>>49242156
>>49242037
>>49241998
>>49241802
Not to poop on the indian parade, but OP mentioned all the way back >>49239616 that the Anu have already got the moving cities shtick covered. If this is like most other RTS games, I'm assuming this is a major shtick which is central to their strategy and one of the things that make them unique. You can't take that away from them with another "moving cities" faction.
>>
File: Katsuhiro_Otomo_cannon_fodder.png (801KB, 1280x668px) Image search: [Google]
Katsuhiro_Otomo_cannon_fodder.png
801KB, 1280x668px
>>49242204
>moving cities
You know, I loved Cannon Fodder as much as anyone, but I really don't think the ancient mesopotamian undead faction suits that theme.
>>
>>49242204
Don't need to have moving cities. Maybe no cities, but large units that make other units.

Or... they raise mountains for buildings, reroute rivers, spawn forests.
>>
>>49242245
Could do something like the Goo from Grey Goo. You start with some kind of essential macroscale unit (some mother spirit or what have you), and it produces units by interacting with various features of the terrain e.g. place it over a mountain and it will slowly spawn obsidian giants. Place it near a riverbed and it will slowly spawn kachina guardians. Place it on top of a forest and it will spawn skinwalkers.

Only problem is where other macroscale units come from, because it still feels kinda derpy for the mother spirit to randomly birth Thunderbird. Plus, there are only so many kinds of terrain features you can count on being on every map (otherwise they'd be useless in multiplayer), and for game balance reasons, they need to be either rare or require some specific circumstance to spawn more powerful units.

Maybe upgrades to the Mother Spirit allow it to choose from a specific set of units (3-4 micro and 1 macro) for each type of terrain it's over.

It's an interesting game mechanic and it ties nicely into the concept of being a people "ruled by the natural world" and the whims of the spirits.
>>
>>49241540
Except that's fucking wrong.
It's derived from a latin symbol, maybe we're not sure, but the question mark in it's current state comes from England
>>
>>49242244
I don't think the intention was mechanically moving cities. I think it was implied that Anu cities fly. It's quite common in fantasy setting for the most magical faction to have flying cities.

Interestingly, now that I think about it, both Rise of Legends and Heroes of Might & Magic gave the magical, desert themed faction flying cities. What is it about Middle-Eastern magic and floating palaces?
>>
>>49242334
The Mother Spirit could be an aura effect, at least initially. Growing units out of a mountain is fucking cool, by the way.

Later in the research tree, the Mother Spirit could create vortexes on the map - increase rate of unit production and better units.

Eventually, the Mother Spirit could be a unit in and of itself. Punching the ever loving fuck out of enemies while buffing units around it.

Or perhaps the Mother Spirit could split into several units. Units would still grow, but slower.

Just wondering what happens when the "Mother Spirit" unit is defeated. Would the unit production be hit with a penalty? Have to rereserach the unit?
>>
>>49242334
My only concern is aesthetic in this case. The most obvious appearance for the "Mother Spirit" macrounit is some kind of mountain sized, fat woman with gigantic thighs made of red clay and flowers growing all over her, or something similar. But then, wouldn't she kinda look like she belongs with the Thrym?
>>
I would love for this to be an RTS, I really would, but this is a tabletop roleplaying games board.

OP, either you tell them, or someone would have to. Don't let a beautiful thread get deleted for being too off topic.
>>
>>49239051
>>49239096
Magical Realm does not mean what you think it means.

If she was swallowing the dragon whole or cramming soldiers into her vagina, that'd be magical realm. This is just different and attractive.

>>49239145
>>49239947
See, you two I can get along with, because while it doesn't fit the definition of 'fetish' that shit's still muh fetish in the same way diagrams of firearms are gun 'porn'.

Okay maybe it's a LITTLE bit my fetish in the actual sense...
>>
>>49242413
>Just wondering what happens when the "Mother Spirit" unit is defeated. Would the unit production be hit with a penalty? Have to rereserach the unit?

Make one of the few buildings the Native American faction builds be a "village" (considered to be one building for gameplay purposes...). It would have a lot of general purposes, fitting with the idea that these people don't build cities and helping them maintain a more mobile focused gameplay. Villages may be the Native Americans faction's means of gathering some resources (which would simplify their base management even further), produce some units, etc.

One of their functions would be that, over time, each village you build can also spawn its own Mother Spirit. It takes a very long time (don't know what the scale of the game is, if it's like Supreme Commander where matches can last hours than at least half an hour or so), an each village can only "support" one Mother Spirit at a time, but it does at least make for gameplay.

Villages can be "built" by Mother Spirits (they stand in one place waving their giant hands while tiny human sprites spawn out of the greenery to build the huts and so on), but there's probably some limit on where e.g. only a certain distance from each other, only on a certain type of terrain, etc.
>>
>>49242817
For extra cultural mishmashness, make it so that ANOTHER of the faction's buildings is some kind of "warrior camp", a unit production structure that can be unpacked and moved around the map. Because Native Americans, being a single culture the whole continent over, were both nomadic and settled!
>>
>>49241802
>I don't think there's EVER been a fantasy strategy game with a Native American themed faction
>what are tauren
>what are the elves in Heroes of Might and Magic
>what is Age of Wonders
>>
>>49243022
>what are the elves in Heroes of Might and Magic
which part
i dont remember them being indian
they were green, fairylike and shit
>>
>>49239332
So, the Humans would have an equal if not better chance at winning if they also employed muskets en masse?
>>
>>49238978
Sounds like a little bit of lore from the Elder Scrolls back when the Ancient Nords essentially were in that same scenario until they used the power of the Thu'um to fight back for their sovereignty.
>>
>>49238978
>>49238981
You can probably reapropriate the setting from Titan. That's an old strategy game where the leaders of roaming hordes are colossussi that recruit little guys (dragons and such are really just another kind of unit) and then throw the amassed armies at each other.
>>
>>49238978
This sounds like a stupid idea and you should feel bad for posting it.
>>
So long as it's got sexy giantesses...
>>
>>49239182
That was called Pikmin, and I think you are confused about some of the details.
>>
File: ragnastrike.webm (3MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
ragnastrike.webm
3MB, 640x360px
>>49239145
>>
>>49242594
>This is just different and attractive.
>>
File: Way2Lewd.png (43KB, 400x279px) Image search: [Google]
Way2Lewd.png
43KB, 400x279px
>>49243933
>>
File: 1445648658660.png (104KB, 344x432px) Image search: [Google]
1445648658660.png
104KB, 344x432px
>>49243933
THIS is why giantesses are a shit fetish. She almost killed three innocent men by dropping her fucking lip balm. She could easily trample you if she forgets where you are right now, or accidentily sit on you, or roll on top of you in her sleep. Why do people think this shit is arousing? I cannot find giantesses over 5 meters attractive.

Around 2.5 meters would be perfect, assuming you can find housing that is adjusted to her size. Big enough to comfortably spoon even the tallest of men, but not so big that she can kill you on pure accident.
>>
File: vajra11.jpg (146KB, 800x494px) Image search: [Google]
vajra11.jpg
146KB, 800x494px
>>49244065
But then how will you fight the Vajra?
>>
This would've been a marvelous thread if it'd had more, you know, tabletop gaming in it. And less imaginary computer games and fetish shit.
>>
>>49243022
The Elven faction from HOMM5 onwards was just a very generalized druidic society. There might have been some Native American influences but I'd hardly call them Native American themed.

>>49242594
>because while it doesn't fit the definition of 'fetish' that shit's still muh fetish in the same way diagrams of firearms are gun 'porn'.
I like this analogy. Just because some people view something sexually doesn't make it inherently sexual. On the flip side, fetishes can also lead people to want things for non-sexual reasons. I would never fap to a story about a gentle giantess slowly earning the trust of a human village as she defends it from the many horrors of an average fantasy setting, but the idea of it fills my heart with longing.

>>49244065
>THIS is why giantesses are a shit fetish. She almost killed three innocent men by dropping her fucking lip balm. She could easily trample you if she forgets where you are right now, or accidentally sit on you, or roll on top of you in her sleep. Why do people think this shit is arousing? I cannot find giantesses over 5 meters attractive.
But what does that say about a giantess who is always painstakingly careful around humans because she fully understands she could accidentally murder countless people?
>>
File: 1401666208356.gif (499KB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
1401666208356.gif
499KB, 960x720px
>>49244191
>But what does that say about a giantess who is always painstakingly careful around humans because she fully understands she could accidentally murder countless people?
Cute, but she'd feel like an elephant in a really tiny porcelain shop.
>>
File: 1390302797519.jpg (151KB, 427x427px) Image search: [Google]
1390302797519.jpg
151KB, 427x427px
>>49244065
It only takes a 2-foot (a little over half a meter) difference in size to create the amount of weight needed to instantly kill somebody just by putting the wrong body part at the wrong vector towards the torso.

At 2.5 meters, you could die from her tripping over something and landing on you. At the very least you're likely to suffer a number of minor fractures to your ribs.

Still, I understand what you're talking about. There's a threshold of reasonable interaction when it comes to size differences. Anything with a size difference of a factor greater than 3 probably isn't going to be able to safely and reasonably interact well. Anything over 5-6m probably would be too much.
>>
Anyone play Dominions? Alot of the concepts are actually kinda similar.
>>
>>49244065
Agreed. I mean, I like tall, powerful girls, but after you pass about 10-12 feet, I'm done... I mean how does someone the size of a fucking building even interact with normal people in any way that's not destructive!

And if the destructive thing IS your fetish... Not shaming you bro, but you got shit taste.

>>49244088
The same way humanity has fought literally everything since its earliest days and works of fiction.

Get. A. Bigger. Weapon.

Literally no problem cannot be solved by the use of a bigger sword/hammer/rock/gun/bomb. If the use of such fails, it was simply insufficiently gargantuan.

>>49244191
..That's cute as shit... And now I kinda want to see that, if she's like... Four or five stories tall or something.

There may be a tiiiny little bit of fapping... Maybe. Not much.

>>49244269
...While I respect your expertise, regardless of the fact that we all know this fetish totally ignores the square-cube law anyway, WHY DO YOU KNOW THIS?
>>
File: kagaritakamiya.jpg (256KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
kagaritakamiya.jpg
256KB, 1280x720px
>>49244613
>WHY DO YOU KNOW THIS?
Maybe he's a manlet with a really tall gf.
>>
>>49244613
>WHY DO YOU KNOW THIS?
Clearly because, as a ~5.5' human being, I have been on a killing spree of 3' humans.

The real reason is that I'm a macrophiliac with an insatiable curiosity. I've done a LOT of research and analysis of mass, height, and their relation with physics, mostly for the sake of game design in relation to tabletops. I use a lot of pressure plates and height-based traps in campaigns to make each of those blocks of allegedly-useless info seem more important mechanically, which also involves stuff like "would the skin on a 12' person even be properly stabbed by a spear designed for a 5' person" and other such odd questions.

While it's less interesting to me on a fetish level, I also have studied the inverse: tiny people in relation to physics. Fantasy opens a lot of doors for one with sufficient imagination.
>>
File: rifle_wounds.jpg (97KB, 547x649px) Image search: [Google]
rifle_wounds.jpg
97KB, 547x649px
>>49244740
>which also involves stuff like "would the skin on a 12' person even be properly stabbed by a spear designed for a 5' person" and other such odd questions.
I was always of the opinion that normal scale weapons would be fairly effective against giants, if not at killing then at causing pain. What was your conclusion?
>>
File: Drawing blank.jpg (126KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Drawing blank.jpg
126KB, 640x360px
>>49239182
Oh my god, I know what game you're talking about but I don't remember the name!
>>
>>49244740
I am interested in the answers you've found for these many odd questions. No seriously, tell me more
>>
>>49244901
Cutting weapons are roughly as effective, unless there's a significant magnitude of size difference. Somebody, say, 20' tall would probably only suffer minor, non-life-threatening wounds from a strike that could decapitate a person of 5~6'. Think along the lines of a cat or rabbit slicing your arm. It hurts like a bitch, but unless they clip something important it's not going to require anything more than some minor cleaning and a bandage, if even that.

Bludgeoning weapons basically turn into weighted pokes unless they're spiked or something, or are striking something with not much physical protection (a specific nerve cluster like the funny bone, most joints, and basically anything on the head are fair game). At worst it's like being jabbed with a knuckle.

Piercing weapons are probably the ones that retain the most lethality, although it's still reduced by a major margin. Spears and such can be likened to being stabbed with needles or ballpoint pens, and arrows are basically giant splinters. Calluses around the feet or on the hands will basically nullify these weapons, though.

Guns are odd, and there's honestly too many variables for me to say with any certainty.

Mostly, a fight between a small person and a significantly larger person will come down to how well the smaller person knows their anatomy, and how well they can exploit that knowledge.
>>
Giant humans wouldn't work in reality for about a million different reasons, ranging from the biological to the physical. I'm talking "would be blind becaus photons would not be able to efficiently interact with the proportionally larger cells in their retinas" here, not your old square cube law.

For a giant humanoid to work, it'd need to look sufficiently different from a human you'd almost certainly not be able to find it sexy. If that's not he case: congrats. You're dealing with a magical being who owes their existence to magic. Autistically in-depth iscussions about how they'd be affected by normal sized weapons based on physics aren't just pointless, they're internally inconsistent. Either the creature obeys the laws of physics, or it doesn't.
>>
I've already got this type of setting.

One nation is ruled by fae, another is ruled by dragons, another is ruled by elves, another is also ruled by elves, and one is ruled by the undead.

There are only two nations in about fifteen that are explicitly human-ruled, and one of those has so many elves in the upper crust their voice has a distinct Elven accent to it.
>>
>>49245229
>You're dealing with a magical being who owes their existence to magic. Autistically in-depth iscussions about how they'd be affected by normal sized weapons based on physics aren't just pointless, they're internally inconsistent.
Applying scientific analysis to magical phenomena that have no business being studied in that manner is like the entire purpose of this board.
>>
>>49245229
Why'd you even bother to post in this thread? Are you compelled to shit on anybody else's concept of fun or interest?

Also, the argument of "it either follows the laws of physics or it doesn't" doesn't work in the real world OR in a fictional fantasy world, since what is "law" in physics is merely just a huge collection of human-studied theories that are commonly accepted. The existence of new information (such as magic) would drastically change that, even in the real world. In a fictional world? Forget about it. Best you can do is just make it as "close" to the real world as possible (to prevent breaking immersion) while keeping the elements you want.
>>
File: Rex_size.jpg (105KB, 1024x700px) Image search: [Google]
Rex_size.jpg
105KB, 1024x700px
>>49244065
T-rex is a good size.
>>
>>49245323
You're specifically applying our already known laws of physics to a creature whose relation to the laws of physics you have repeatedly implied by your treatment thereof. You're just doing it selectively for maximum titilliation for yourself. There are quite a few boards for that, and fortunately, /tg/ is not one of them. You horny fatbeards who can't make a single post not pandering to your fetishes (something which you've already admitted to yourself) are the ones shittiying up this board.
>>
>>49245638
Find where exclusively fetishim drove any post in this thread that hasn't been already decried as magical realm nonsense.

Stop witch hunting.
>>
>>49245052
What are your thoughts on time dilation and size difference? Should giants move and react noticeably slower than normal-sized people, or are intelligent human-like giants best portrayed as extremely fast (and by extension deadly) for their size? Same question goes for tiny people being relatively more nimble and durable than normal sized humans.
>>
>>49238978
coff
call of cthulhu
coff, coff

also this
>>49239051
>>
>>49238978
I've sorta seen things like this, and the I do think the idea has merit, I'd be interested in playing in it, but I'd want to know a bit more about the setting beforehand if only to see how it differs from standard fantasy settings

>>49238981
>On the other hand, wouldn't it make the players feel a little bit useless? It's not always fun to feel like you're inconsequential to the setting.
No, you can still have them do things, that even if it doesn't matter in the grand scheme, matters to them

>There's also the fact that, at least the way I've designed it, each of the "factions" (giant ruled, dragon ruled, lich ruled) has a fairly different culture and atmosphere and are all at war. Intermixed parties would be difficult - the humans of each side are too indoctrinated by their masters to get a long.
I only really see this as an issue if you have parties made of PCs from multiple nations, everyone from the same nation works the best, unless they're all independent for some reason (like being nomadic merchants or something)

>Is this anything like a good idea? Would you play it?
Yes and yes

>Would you change anything about it?
From what you've said, nothing comes to mind, though I would like to know more before making any suggestions
>>
>>49246082
Not the quoted, but I generally portray giants as at least a little slower, size depending. Not enough to change a whole lot, on the smaller sizes, but still pretty noticeable.
>>
>>49239471
>>49239491
>>49239560
>>49239616
well If I ever finish this programming degree, I know what I want to work on.

sod making the models/ animations for all that tho.
>>
>>49239165
>but that's wrong
>>
>>49246219
Second. While an RTS would be awesome...maybe something more in the vein of Dominions with this focus would be more achievable?
>>
>>49239051
>>49239096
Not a magical realm unless the group doesn't want it, unless he's your DM and about to force you to play a game in it, you have no legs to stand on

>>49239182
Shit, I know what that is but I can't recall the name

>>49239910
>Even has mass combat rules (albeit shitty ones)
Hmm..., make the exalted giant and you might have a nice hack for something like this

>>49239926
Why wouldn't you?
But even then, you can always refluff it

>>49239947
I presume he has a nonsexual fascination with it

>>49240427
>Being puny humans being sent to their deaths by a dragon? What's the fucking point? Why would I like to play that?
Being a sneaky motherfucker and sabotaging shit
You wouldn't be a hero, just another soldier doing his duty

>>49241316
Thirding, sounds like a blast actually

>>49241802
>Building off that idea, I don't think there's EVER been a fantasy strategy game with a Native American themed faction.
Fall From Heaven II (or one of the expansions for it), it's a mod true (but it was a total conversion that actually got rated as a separate game in a few Top game lists alongside the main game in several gaming magazines) and one of the factions was not!native Americans that with EXTREMELY good scouts That always claimed the best fucking land every single game that that's why they all had to die

>>49241988
>The idea of a Lich decked out in armor to hide the fact he's a lich sounds cool, though.
I am stealing this idea anon

>>49244214
I remember the mythbusters once really really pissed off a bull and let it loose in a china shop so full of porcelain it barley had enough room to maneuver, it made several laps around the shop and didn't break a single thing
>>
>>49244065
>Why do people think this shit is arousing?
Cause power is hot and you could spend hours examining every inch of her body in detail at that size difference
Also the other things she could do at that size if they're your thing

>Around 2.5 meters would be perfect, assuming you can find housing that is adjusted to her size. Big enough to comfortably spoon even the tallest of men, but not so big that she can kill you on pure accident.
But it limits some of the other fun things you can do with a giantess if she's that small

>>49244191
>But what does that say about a giantess who is always painstakingly careful around humans because she fully understands she could accidentally murder countless people?
Cute, and a sign she's a nice lady if she takes such care around those smaller than her

>>49244269
>Anything over 5-6m probably would be too much.
I like them about twice that though
The danger also kinda makes it even hotter

>>49244613
>I mean how does someone the size of a fucking building even interact with normal people in any way that's not destructive!
Carefully, individually it's probably not much more difficult than interacting with a small pet, a "normal" sized town is probably more difficult and something she'd have to be careful around, but if giants are a common thing it's not unbelievable that allowances would be made for them when designing a town's layout
Hell if there were giant and normal/tiny races I wouldn't be surprised if cities often had giant/tiny districts or tiny buildings/homes/streets were built into the wall of giant buildings

>>49245449
If you mean lengthwise I agree, otherwise I'd still like them to be a bit taller
>>
>>49246597
>Hell if there were giant and normal/tiny races I wouldn't be surprised if cities often had giant/tiny districts or tiny buildings/homes/streets were built into the wall of giant buildings

Generally how we've done it. The giant race tends to live in their own district/town outside of the main one and visit for stuff that needs it. Though some districts are built to accommodate them for work and leisure along with smaller folks.

The tiny races tend towards either the in-walls approach, or vehicles/mechsuits. Most prefer to just repurpose or build an 'office building' to act as an arcology, for securities sake.
>>
>>49246721
>The tiny races tend towards either the in-walls approach, .... Most prefer to just repurpose or build an 'office building' to act as an arcology, for securities sake.
That's how I would do it, if the size difference was big enough to warent it at least
Makes the most sense, a "tiny quarter" of a city that makes the core wouldn't realy be that large, but would probably be connected to a sprawling network of tunnels connecting buildings, small minitowns/complexes tucked away, and elevated roads/walkways built into the side of buildings running through out the giant's town
>>
File: MacrossMall.png (442KB, 704x396px) Image search: [Google]
MacrossMall.png
442KB, 704x396px
>>49246721
>>49246815
Like the Mall in Macross Frontier?
>>
>>49239145
I didn't know I needed this. Not for sexual reasons either. The kind superhuman taking the weak under her(or his) wing is a weakness of mine.
>>
>>49246815
Ayup, pretty much. The little races in question start at about six inches and range up from there, depending on their original intended purpose. They're pretty durable for their size by any estimations, but only so much you can do with such a small bodyplan, space magic or not.

On the flipside, the largest humanoid race is closer to forty feet tall, and geenerally doesn't interact much with the smallest in any physical sense.

>>49246856
Something similar probably, yus. Though given the cost of making things just to have on shelves in the event someone forty feet tall wants to buy it, actual shops are something of a rarity. Restaurants and theaters and other services predominate.
>>
>>49246856
>I have still never watched any version of Macross
Yeah, pretty much
>>
>>49246897
Seems like Giants would fit better in a Modern or Futuristic setting. Warehousing and clothes making machines makes their stuff a lot more practical.

>>49246900
Have you watched any other mecha shows?
>>
>>49246897
Depends, I can see objects that need a higher amount of fine detail work being something commonly sold by tinies to the giants, working with a giant shopkeep is probably ideal though, otherwise you would have to have the ground floor of the tiny shop I level with the giants or something along those lines
>>
>>49247010
>Seems like Giants would fit better in a Modern or Futuristic setting. Warehousing and clothes making machines makes their stuff a lot more practical.
Magic and magical environments can accomplish the same thing of you're clever, though.
>>
>>49247010
>Seems like Giants would fit better in a Modern or Futuristic setting.
>Warehousing and clothes making machines makes their stuff a lot more practical.
Depends on what's the "normal" size

>Have you watched any other mecha shows?
Some, Gundam mostly, though I still remember fondly some older Saturday morning cartoons like Voltron, somehow I always missed macross
>>
>>49247010
Ah, it actually is a sci-fi setting, (in my example) I just assume it's still not the most economical thing. Though there are some regular-sized industrialist sorts who are all about trying to get into that market. In general, also, Alaerin just don't really care for mass-manufactured. (It's been something of an established thing that an Alaerin merc/freelancer is often jabbed for being wet behind the ears if their gear is human-made, factory-pressed stuff.) Something of a holdover from their pre-spaceflight history that they're not especially materialistic, as they've never had the opportunity to be.
>>
>>49247060
No matter how much I try, I keep imagining all magic settings as Present Europe, but with some Wizards with magic RPGs. I need to work on seeing it as Gygax did, Fallout with magic.

Yeah, I can see how a little application of Magic, and the need with Giants being around, would change things. Most farm animals would probably be bred bigger, or they'd start using the bigger versions that existed, to feed and clothes Giants.

>>49247080
Start with Frontier. It's a good entry, since it has decent visuals, fights, and story. There are some call backs, but it's pretty stand alone. As you go, write on some note pad what you like and don't like, then ask /m/ for more recommendations.

>>49247098
What would an Alaerin prize then?
>>
>>49247168
>What would an Alaerin prize then?
In a material sense? Well made and unique things. Instead of turning spacefaring level tech to mass production, they've largely turned it towards returning to being a species of artisans over manufacturers. Though there's exceptions. (Hard to generalize a species, but this is a fairly dominant trend across cultures.)

Other than that, they're generally just more about doing and experiencing over having. They like nice things, certainly, but historically, pre-space, they've had to be picky about what they expend resources on. So it had been be functional, pleasing, and long-lasting.

This has had the side-effect of humans tending to portray them as picky and aloof on occasion, but I don't think the most of them characterized as such mind.
>>
>>49247243
Are there Human fashion designers that tend to make clothes for them? I'm sure being able to emblazon a logo for a Giant would be a giant ego boost for the designer.
>>
>>49247489
Yup, but that plays back into the above to some degree. They're a lot more liable to buy human limited-run high fashion than human mass-fabbed undershirts. Same goes for anything designed by other races. They're plenty keen to use it if it's of suitable quality in a few spectrums.

Though limited-scale production and various forms of rapid manufacturing do mean things in general can be a little more nice, diverse and less standardized. Sometimes you really just want a shipment of ugly thing what works and there's a lot of, though.

(Nature of fabrication/fashion and economics in general is still slightly a WIP deal)

Definitely some of them on borderworls have a taste for human fashion though. Especially because the imagery of a giant blue space elf rocking the Calvin Klein look or something else we'd consider mundane amuses the shit out of me.
>>
>>49247098
>Alaerin
Thought you seemed familiar

>>49247168
>I keep imagining all magic settings as Present Europe, but with some Wizards with magic RPGs.
Same here

>Yeah, I can see how a little application of Magic, and the need with Giants being around, would change things. Most farm animals would probably be bred bigger, or they'd start using the bigger versions that existed, to feed and clothes Giants.
Honestly when Giants have a civilization I tend to assume they also have giant animals as well

>Start with Frontier. It's a good entry, since it has decent visuals, fights, and story. There are some call backs, but it's pretty stand alone. As you go, write on some note pad what you like and don't like, then ask /m/ for more recommendations.
Thanks
>>
File: safety_first_by_shabazik-d4eivsp.jpg (942KB, 1505x1057px) Image search: [Google]
safety_first_by_shabazik-d4eivsp.jpg
942KB, 1505x1057px
>>49247628
Welp, I'm had. May as well post the pic and commence the namefaggotry.
>>
>>49247686
>Welp, I'm had. May as well post the pic and commence the namefaggotry.
I suspected as early as this post >>49246721, and was pleasantly surprised our derail had managed to summon you.
>>
>>49246082
Depends on what you're going for, honestly. As a GM, if I wanted to scare the everloving shit out of my players (or put some uppity powergamer in their place), I'd probably bust out the giants that evolution/magic was kind to: the ones that can move and react just as fast as any human, and are significantly more lethal for it. Tabletops tend to undersell or outright ignore the amount of force that slamming a few tons into the ground can have.Looking at you, D&D.

If I was trying to lean towards realism without going into straight "no fun allowed" territory, giants would probably be slower to respond and slower to act. Probably act like they were perpetually out of shape, too, needing frequent breaks over long distances. "Pack mule" as a concept springs to mind, not really the "protector" type.

The inverse would hold true for smaller humanoids, although if you were leaning towards realism they'd probably be jittery and hyperactive to the point of being completely incapable of meaningful focus. Like Hollywood ADHD on steroids.
>>
>>49247745
Haha, yeah, that was probably a dead giveaway. I'm pleasantly surprised anyone can be pleasantly surprised about me showing up. Actually only looked in because an associate who's building a setting kinda like OP describes pointed the thread out for a few reasons. Always glad to show up and talk shop though.
>>
>>49247601
What drove the Giants to space, then? If they're so laid back, seems like they'd colonize some planets at a slower rate than even humans would.

>>49247801
>>49247686
I'd recommend keeping it down low. You don't want fun posters to latch on and result with you becoming the next ND.

>>49247779
What kind of diet would you give the Giants?
>>
>>49247686
>Women in construction
It's pleb-tier work but why is it so sexy?

>>49248069
>What kind of diet would you give the Giants?
I guess they'd be like humans in their diet, so pretty much omnivores. Just in much larger volumes (especially in protein). I can imagine a giant eating an entire cow for dinner.
>>
>>49248113
>It's pleb-tier work but why is it so sexy?
Because of the one girl in her swimsuit?
>>
>be pleasantly surprised that /tg/ has managed to turn a clear fetish thread into something interesting
>go to work
>return to find that it's regressed back into a fetish thread
>>
>>49248069
Was a slower rate yeah. They were spacefaring in a sense in like, 1400. They just weren't in any particularly big hurry about the whole thing. Unlike humanity, who started throwing colony ships at every habitable-looking expolanet the moment they discovered warp drive.

>I'd recommend keeping it down low. You don't want fun posters to latch on and result with you becoming the next ND.

Can't say I'm familiar, but noted.
>>
>>49244065
I only find arousing the fact giantesses have bigger assets (y'know, butt; legs; breast and vajena) in comparison to a normal person, but I'm not into destruction or anything related to violence..

Beside, this is a fantasy, not a fetish.
If you want to pound a woman that in big in real life, you've better chances to find a big female looking monument and pound that (if you managed to not get arrested).
>>
>>49248069
High in protein and carbs. Generally higher quantities of food in general, though. Since they're bigger, it's less likely that viruses and such will pose a significant threat to their immune systems (unless you're more realistic, in which case they're pretty much born sick), but when they DO get sick it takes more to get them better. A giant could go through a lot of peppermint tea.

>>49248311
If it's who I think they're referring to, it's some macro-loving tripfag that is notorious for derailing threads into nothing but magical realm bullshit without even trying to contribute.
>>
>>49248298
I knew /tg/ had really weird fetishes, but clothing and diet aren't what I expected.

>>49248311
What about entertainment? Do Space Giants carry around 50" sized PS Vita?

>>49248359
Obviously meat would be a source of protein, but what plant could you scale up to offer more carbs and make it cool for PCs to go walk through a field of?
>>
>>49248069
Same as normal people, just scaled up

>>49248113
>It's pleb-tier work but why is it so sexy?
Because they'd have muscles and get real sweaty from the work

>>49248298
>>return to find that it's regressed back into a fetish thread
What?

>>49248413
>What about entertainment? Do Space Giants carry around 50" sized PS Vita?
I'd say yes
>>
>>49239471
>>49239491
>>49239560
>>49239616
I think I'm speaking for a lot of us when I say this setting probably deserves its own thread right there. If this wasn't 4chan I'd have said something like make a thread on /v/, who knows what'd happen, but this is 4chan. We know what'd happen.
>>
>>49248413
Most nuts and beans are good sources of protein. Soy is stupid easy to grow and can be grown in a lot of different places.

>What plant could you scale up to offer more carbs and make it cool for the PCs to go walk through a field of?
Wheat or Corn. Giant fields of rice might also be cool.

>Do Space Giants carry around 50'-sized Vitas?
>Implying anybody carries around a vita
>>
>>49248413
>Do Space Giants carry around 50'-sized Vitas?
>>49248493
>Implying anybody carries around a vita

Point, but yeah for the large part. They don't have different needs in that regard than humans. Though they tend more towards productive hobbies and athletic endeavors.

(Their biology, being giants, is pushing the envelope of the bio-engineering sciences of the species that created them, so it's fairly high-maintenance in that regard. They can't get away with quite the same level of sitting around and eating cheetos humans can without developing cardiovascular problems)

They're empaths, so live theater plays are still more of a thing for them. Movies wise they've got a thing for storylines with complicated and nuanced interpersonal tangles. Also tend to enjoy hanging around human entertainment events, if not to enjoy the show, then to get a 'contact high' off the emotions of the crowd.
>>
>Giantess baby gets discovered in the freezing backwoods of some not!EasternEuropean country.
>Kindly childless (either had none, or lost them all) family adopts her as their own.
>Old tough babushka keeps babygiantess in line, weathers giant-sized toddler tantrums the way only Babushka can.
>Giantess grows big, strong, and big helping out on the farm.
>Strong enough to double as draft animal when times are tough.
>When suddenly Barbarossa.
>Is actually Russia.
>Giantess takes up oversized arms.
>Fights for her motherland

Inspired by the story of that Russian soldier who ran around carrying a 14.5mm semi-auto anti-tank rifle like it a regular Mosin. (apparently he shot down a Stuka by himself.)
>>
>>49248744
I'm pretty sure there's a few myths like that
>>
File: Jaeger Swiggity swooty.png (1MB, 900x507px) Image search: [Google]
Jaeger Swiggity swooty.png
1MB, 900x507px
>>49244088
Build monsters of our own.
>>
>>49238978
>what does /tg/ think about a setting whose main concept is that humans, and all the other "standard fantasy" races, for that matter (e.g. elves, dwarfs, etc.) are basically the world's rabble and irrelevant in the great scheme of things?
Why yes, I do like the Cosmic Horror genre
>>
File: pbcover.jpg (26KB, 265x306px) Image search: [Google]
pbcover.jpg
26KB, 265x306px
>>49248744
So essentially Russian Paul Bunyan but with violence instead of lumberjacking?
>>
>>49249522
>So essentially Russian Paul Bunyan but with violence instead of lumberjacking?
Yup. Though perhaps somewhat less enormous.
>>
>>49248614
Hey Durendal, are you still looking for people to help work on Legacy?
>>
>>49238978
Christ, without the blatantly obviously slavery you've still just describe Tolkien.

Anyway aside from that refer to the Dark Sun, Ravenloft, Council of Wyrmns and some Shadowrun settings.
>>
>>49244088
Interpretive dance?
>>
>>49246890
>The kind superhuman taking the weak under her(or his) wing is a weakness of mine.
Yeah, it always makes me feel warm and hopeful inside, like the idea of fundamental good in the universe has been reinforced. There's plenty of examples in all kinds of fiction, but gentle giantesses are the best.
>>
File: 1468931494133.gif (876KB, 540x304px) Image search: [Google]
1468931494133.gif
876KB, 540x304px
>>49253506
In my setting, I actually want to introduced halfling-sized catfolk who are too cute, too naive and too weak to actually survive in the real world, so they've formed their own (quite literally) underground community in the desert where a retired dragon (old, blind, has been around since the beginning of time, is getting real tired of this shit) guards over them. As long as they regularly bring him food and let him sleep, they're allowed to do pretty much whatever they want while he makes sure nobody harms them.
>>
>>49253755
That's adorable anon

Are the catfolk a playable race? How do they view their protector?
>>
>>49253891
>Are the catfolk a playable race?
I don't intend to. They're pretty much made to be weak and incabaple.

>How do they view their protector?
Haven't really thought it through. I guess they'd view the dragon as some kind of communal father figure, whom they obey but don't neccessarily fear or even fully revere? They'd probably regularly come up to him with the dumbest complaints like how they tripped over a rock and hurt themselves or the fruit they've been saving for later has spoiled and he'd be forced to listen to it not always entirely awake, mind you
>>
>>49248761
Russian myth loves to describe their guys as xboxhueg.

The standard descriptor is shoulders as wide as a "kosaya sazhen".
That's an ancient length of measure based on average guy standing wide, raising a hand and measuring from his left toe to the raised right hand.
It was officially measured at about two and a half meters or a bit over eight feet.
>>
>>49253997
>I don't intend to. They're pretty much made to be weak and incabaple.
adventurers are already outstanding weirdos. So it can be that once in a while one of them awakens with unsatiable curiosity about the outside world and ventures forth. Most of those never return and fuel cautionary tales of the tribe.
>>
>>49254005
Throughout most of Russian history, though, these weren't members of races of giants. Some bogatyrs seemingly were just born huge, at random.
>>
File: image.jpg (4KB, 300x57px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
4KB, 300x57px
>>49254120
Yep.

>I think captcha is trying to say something about their other measurements
>>
>>49254120
They were also all male, but that wouldn't pander to anon's fetish.
>>
>>49254181
It panders to the misbegotten bara fetishists though.
>>
File: 1464228610580.jpg (16KB, 240x280px) Image search: [Google]
1464228610580.jpg
16KB, 240x280px
>>49254203
>Nobody thinks anything of male giants
>Even when they are in a blatant relationship with a normal sized human
>If you so much as think about a giant female people are on you right away
I guess I can always have fairies but still.
>>
>>49254325
>Even when they are in a blatant relationship with a normal sized human
You know this would make half-giants impossible, right? Only female giants can give birth to them.
>>
Isn't every setting this
>>
>>49254380
I think what is supposed to differentiate this from your "standard" fantasy settings is the notion that that the giant, powerful creatures aren't just EFFECTIVELY in power, they are actively THE ONES IN POWER. Like, there is no "human kingdom", with a human king, who ends up having to bow down to dragons because they'd kill everyone otherwise. There's a DRAGON kingdom, with a dragon king, a palace built for dragons and a dragon court, and humans just so happen to be the slaves there.
>>
>>49254325
In a lot of mythology (Norse and Welsh come to mind most of all, but it's also true for Japanese Oni and, funnily enough, Chinese dragons) creatures who are huge and monstrous, like giants, have wives and daughters who are described as humanlike and beautiful. Oftentimes, these humanlike, beautiful women are explicitly shown to have mated with their huge, monstrous husbands and given birth to huge, monstrous children.

Nobody ever thought to explain how this physically worked. To the pagans, it just somehow made sense.
>>
>>49254564
The power of love?
>>
>>49244065
Okay, let's do this again /tg/.

Which one and why?
>>
>>49254592
Common giant is the perfect size, a Fire Giant is fine too. Frost/Forent giant would be the maximum acceptable size. Joryun is the stuff of nightmares. Notice that the human is roughly the size of her eye.
>>
>>49244065
It's a power thing. Power is sexy.

The thought of a woman able to casually trample buildings, and from which you can offer no meaningful form of resistance, is intoxicating. It's one of the easiest form of fetish to understand out there.
>>
>>49238978
>>49238981
>On the other hand, wouldn't it make the players feel a little bit useless?

Even "inconsequential" people have their own little schemes and agendas. Just because they're not the movers and the shakers does not mean they're not having problems, adventures or conflicts.

Then there's the idea that little people could subtly manipulate their giant overlords. Or one of those, capitalizing on smaller races being often overlooked, could find a use for a covert team of small races against their rivals.

Or a person with enough power could try to challenge them – after all giants, dragons etc. do have statblocks meant to use when players are facing them in combat.

Overall it's a good idea.
>>
>>49254564
Onis' daughters are only beautiful when they're happy. If you piss them off, their head swells to ten times the size, becomes blood red, and fire comes out of their nostrils.

Japanese folklore is very weird.
>>
File: gulivette.gif (3MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
gulivette.gif
3MB, 400x225px
>>49239145
>giantesses are as far away from my magical realm as possible
>>
Next time, OP, use a different picture. You had something nice going for you here, but you've attracted the wrong crowd. No way you're gonna get back on track for your idea now.
>>
>>49254753
This.

Magical realm pics should be saved for shitposting retards so we know to ignore them. Try again with a picture of a regular dragon or something.
>>
>>49254880
>so we know to ignore them
>implying you ever will not respond to it
>>
File: 1403177179810.jpg (685KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1403177179810.jpg
685KB, 1000x1000px
>>49254743
>French "childrens" animation is a giant "how much can we get past the censors?" competition
>>
I'm writing a novel about a half-giantess (only slightly magical realm honest). Tell me, deviants, how does eight foot sound for height? Too short?
>>
>>49240877
Only in the endgame concept.

The US absolutely wrecked the shot out of the VC and NVA in actual engagements.

But, as with all guerilla wars, when you leave and one enemy remains at the end of the day he wins.
>>
File: 1472266038778.jpg (133KB, 800x1163px) Image search: [Google]
1472266038778.jpg
133KB, 800x1163px
>Giant swallows someone whole
>Gets killed from the inside out since its organs are soft
>Ride a tide of blood out of it
>>
>>49239134
google tends to interpret giant as an adjective when you want it to be a noun.
>>
>>49254934
>Tell me, deviants, how does eight foot sound for height? Too short?
Maybe a tad, but I don't know anything about the setting or plot of your story.
>>
Sounds quite a bit like Council of Wyrms. Only issue is the limited player race (pretty sure you can only be dragons)
>>
>>49239180
setting flame to a human settler and teaching your minion to throw him and start enemy grain fires, life was simpler then.
>>
>>49254709
>If you piss them off, their head swells to ten times the size, becomes blood red, and fire comes out of their nostrils.
So pretty much like regular women?
>>
>>49255647
She's an executioner from a family of them whose father married a giant, a shy, optimistic young woman who always tries to see the best in everything. The setting is low-tech dark fantasy, lots of thick forests of beastmen and monsters hunted down by angry knights. The story is about her finding her place in a human society wildly and violently distrustful of anything 'other' - or more accurately, trying to find a place that isn't using half-giant monster strength to murderkill things for nobles. I'm hoping it can turn out quite feel-good for something designed after Beserk.
>>
>>49239182
you talking about Ascend: Hand of Kul?
>>
>>49255323
after watching Hercules I still wonder why other people in fiction don't do the same thing he did.
>>
>>49256821
Something about suffocating, being crashed by the digestive system's considerably powerful muscles, and being melted by stomach acids.
>>
>>49251194
I went to bed about an hour before you posted this, but yeah. At least in some capacity. (Could really use some new drawfags, but any help is pretty welcome. Here's a link to the discord, if you're still checking in to see it. https://discord.gg/WgxC2J5
>>
>>49256845
I mean on the way down the throat
sure the muscles are strong but one inch into the esophagus will kill anything as they choke on their own blood
>>
>>49256865
In that situation, the swallowed creature will almost certainly be suffocated as well.

The "burst out of the stomach's monster" trick only really works with a character as resilient as Hercules (or the retardedly invincible high HP characters of D&D). In the real world, the digestive system of most creatures is more than capable of handling just about anything they might be inclined to eat.
>>
>>49256900
Monster's stomach*. I shouldn't try writing in English right after waking up. Your language has bizarre grammar.
>>
>>49256631
8 foot is probably a good size for a gritty low fantasy setting.

You could push it up to 10-12 feet for more but you'll have to decide if you want her problems to come mostly from people seeing her as different, or if her size is actually an issue in practical terms on top of how people view her.

Whatever you decide I would be very interested to read it.
>>
>>49239471
>>49239491
>>49239560
>>49239616
Late to the party, I know, but just wanted to say that if I had however much money it takes to fund a high quality RTS nowadays, I'd totally do it.
>>
>>49256865
>I mean on the way down the throat
>sure the muscles are strong but one inch into the esophagus will kill anything as they choke on their own blood
This happened in one of the Titan novels (not Attack on Titan, the other Titan). It was a big deal because the Titan legal system didn't know how to handle a human killing a titan, even if it was in self defense. There was just no precedent.
>>
>>49254592

All of them.
Because I like variety.
>>
>>49254592
His decision to just make the frost giant a civilized mage really jostled me into reconsidering how most of their cultures work away from the inspirational material (Mostly 3.5, forgotten realms,) so I've always had a bit of a soft spot for her.

Despite the fact that they're more like mythical titans or demigods than really giant-kin, part of me still thinks maybe the Joryun were outright overkill, but a few of the other setting people like them, or have found a use for them in lore.
>>
>>49257486
It's surprisingly close to the original Norse mythology depiction. Many giants were powerful magicians and renowned for their intelligence.

(also, a fact most people never realize: the word "jotun" does not, actually, infer size. It is just "accepted' that jotnar were huge but the truth is that there's not really anything to suggest that in the original stories. SOME of them definitely were, but others interact with humans in ways that clearly seem to suggest that they're human sized. It is possible that, like "alf", the word "jotun" originally referred not to a type of creature, but to an entire "classification of beings", which could include any number thereof - or rather, a type of spirit or godling).
>>
>>49257579
That's the other bit of what pushed the change, yeah. That I've been trying like hell to keep race/species=culture out of my settings to the best of my ability.

I'd picked up on that a little bit but never really thought too hard about it. Makes sense though, and it's a good tidbit to know for sure.
>>
>>49256965
I like the idea of her being just big enough to cause weird problems like how she buys clothes or eats enough food (not that I'd obey any more of the laws of physics regarding giants, of course, because that's an exercise in folly), so part of me does want to increase her size just a little. It's tricky - there aren't many stories about *being* a giant out there for me to use an example, as far as I know. And thanks for showing interest. Hopefully I can make a proper story out of it instead of just a neat idea for a character.
>>
>>49257732
I'm all aboard for this. Anywhere we can keep an eye out for it once the thread sinks?

Also, as many stories as I've done with a giant as the pov, I've never focused much on the logistical difficulties of it among regular sized people. Might just have to change that, now that you have me thinking about it.
>>
>>49257732
>It's tricky - there aren't many stories about *being* a giant out there for me to use an example, as far as I know.
There are, but almost all of them are primarily fetish-related content, and few actually consider the logistics of it for too long.
>>
>>49238978
Any setting which rips off Tolkien as far as elves are concerned but ignores the fact that Tolkien acknowledged his elves had their heads up their asses will be this, save for elves
>>
File: M89.jpg (165KB, 1594x700px) Image search: [Google]
M89.jpg
165KB, 1594x700px
>>49254592

Better version.
>>
>>49257845
I'll keep posting about it on /tg/ here and there, because /tg/ is great for talking about writing (a lot better than /lit/...).

>>49257858
This is true and very frustrating. I'm actually interested in giants because of the disappointment that was Yhorm the Giant in Dark Souls 3, and the interesting lore implication that he was just some dude who led an army of normally-sized people and happened to be big. My giant is only really a woman because by default I always write women - she's pretty in the way I like women to be pretty, but nothing is getting stuffed inside her and nobody's climbing into her mouth or anything weird. I don't get that at all.
>>
>>49258036
>My giant is only really a woman because by default I always write women - she's pretty in the way I like women to be pretty
>but this totally has nothing to do with my sexual fantasies, honest!
>>
>>49258131
Calm down. Tons of writers have trouble writing women, and tons have trouble writing anything BUT women. Everyone's got their comfort zones, and while sexuality can influence it, it doesn't dictate it.
>>
>>49257952
Lesser Titan, high elf
In that order
>>
>>49258131
Legit. I'll admit to having a thing for tall women with long dark hair, but for giants? Not especially.
>>
>>49239471
RTS setting's rarely make good RPG ones.
>>
>>49257732
>It's tricky - there aren't many stories about *being* a giant out there for me to use an example, as far as I know.
This http://giantessworld.net/viewstory.php?sid=657 might be of interest to you. It's very lighthearted and has a much bigger giantess than you're going for, but it's something.
>>
>>49258860
Unless it's Dominions.
>>
>>49259692
What's that?
>>
>>49260134
http://www.illwinter.com/dom4/

tl;dr: The Dwarf Fortress of empire building games.
>>
Can someone make a thread just for OPs setting?
>>
>>49259692
Are there any PnP adaptions of Dominions? Or do you speak from the holistic knowledge of a homebrewer?
>>
>>49254592
>full laws of physics
Common
>it's magic, I ain't gotta explain shit
Storm
>really weird cosmic horror
Joryun
>>
>>49262512
>really weird cosmic horror
>Joryun
Aww, come on. She looks really sweet.
>>
>>49262960
Doesn't mean she's not drastically different. Even though she's human-shaped, she'd probably have a hard time so much as comprehending some human-scale things. I mean shit, humans are roughly on the scale of cockroaches to her.
>>
File: my b face.png (320KB, 800x751px) Image search: [Google]
my b face.png
320KB, 800x751px
>>49254592
>Joryun
I've a thing for gingers,
Asides, once I weaponeyes er, I'll be king o the word.
>>
File: my island.jpg (51KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
my island.jpg
51KB, 300x300px
>>49263247
not entirely the image I was going for,
but well, here we are
>>
>>49263039
Joryun as they're written right now tend to have been heroic mortals. (Usually of one of the giant races, but not exclusively,) so they have a better grasp on mortal affairs and what their size means than one would expect. I'd considered the condition/template being hereditary but unlikely.

In setting, regular mortal races really do top out at storm giants, size-wise. Beyond that all you've got is godlings and titans like Joryun, and other shenanigans like soul-jar golems of obsurd scale and whatever sort of dragon we eventually settle on. And maybe the occasional overleveled wizard.
>>
>>49263300
This. That's not to say they're all sweetness and light, of course; just as regular folks all have the potential to be dangerous jackasses so too do Joryun, naturally. But the setting is generally noblebright enough that you'll find enough that are upstanding. One is a culture hero and sainted queen of the common giant civilization she ruled hundreds of years back, and a knightly order belonging to them takes her name in particular reverence.
>>
File: M6.jpg (911KB, 1400x1350px) Image search: [Google]
M6.jpg
911KB, 1400x1350px
I feel like a decent story could be made using this setting with pic related.
>>
>>49263629
>dragon captures giant knight
>plans to ransom her back to giant kingdom
>decides looking after her in the meantime is more work than he wants to do
>rounds up a few humans and tells them to do it instead
>>
File: I'm Sad.jpg (128KB, 691x896px) Image search: [Google]
I'm Sad.jpg
128KB, 691x896px
>>49263629
Her face makes me think of this.
>>
>>49263300
>>49263475
What's the mechanism of their ascension? Divine blessing? Is being badass the only criteria?
>>
>>49239145
This is taking manlet shaming to another level.
>>
>>49265964
That's kinda left open to GM interpretation down the road. I assume the world is full of these forms of ascension and hero-gods, but the methods are obscure and the stuff of legends. It's definitely within the purview of the gods to grant that sort of gift, but when and why is their own business.

I figure there being a 'definite answer' on how to become a badass quasi-deity just opens up the path for there being more such beings than the world needs or can handle.
>>
>>49263247
>Using fleshweaving and enchantment magic to turn your waifu into an unstoppable FortressColossus
I approve
>>
File: tumblr_o4t5zg9XGC1t04d7qo1_1280.png (730KB, 1200x557px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_o4t5zg9XGC1t04d7qo1_1280.png
730KB, 1200x557px
>>49259255
That was actually useful anon. And kind of hot. I think NOW this is my magical realm goddammit.
>>
Someone should make a separate thread for that game idea, I'd play it
>>
File: It's so bad.jpg (242KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
It's so bad.jpg
242KB, 1600x1200px
Hey Durendal

I was one of those cunts long while ago talking about the solar system for your scifi.

i havent done or thought of it very much, would still be interested in helping tho.

I dont know what discord is, but I see it everywhere now. Ill be sure to pop in at some point.
>>
>>49270739
Sure, feel free to stop in anytime. No idea what all we're in the process of doing right now though. (I'm still in desperate need of unfucking myself in that regard,) but never hurts to have someone else to bounce ideas around with.
>>
who is this durendal guy and what makes his work recognizable
>>
>>49271519
He's posted on /tg/ before and his setting is pretty cool.
>>
>>49238978
It's a good idea.
>>
File: mpeva.jpg (151KB, 847x943px) Image search: [Google]
mpeva.jpg
151KB, 847x943px
>>49266480
>>
>>49257579
Jotun are 'bigger'. Their height surprisingly seems to be stories dependent, but that fact is invariable.

So if their is only humans, they are bigger than humans (but not much bigger). If there is tall monsters, they are taller than the monsters. I always considered that there was some weird reality warping at work: Jotun are just taller enough to be 'bigger' than the biggest thing in the room.

Interesting idea for a giant tale.
>>
>>49272925
Bigger, but I don't think that neccaserily physically.
>>
>>49269640
It's an imaginary video game. There's no place for a thread about it on /tg/, and if you want to open it on /v/, you're welcome to try.
>>
File: bigphilosophy.png (166KB, 1261x399px) Image search: [Google]
bigphilosophy.png
166KB, 1261x399px
>>49273382
So it's more of a philosophical thing?
>>
>>49273397
Shit like that is perfect for /tg/, the world building is amazing and while I know he meant it as a video game, a lot of what he said sounds like it would make an awesome war game
>>
>>49273432
>let's mash three randomly selected real world cultures into the same continent!
>excellent worldbuilding
>>
>>49257042
what series is this?
>>
>>49254592
That fire giant's pretty cute, and a fine size.
>>
>>49273810
It's a collaboration between a few writers on giantessworld that grew into a setting of its own. Unlike in Durendal's setting, where spacefaring species of different sizes coexist (mostly) peacefully, in Titan humans are the only small race, and are kept as pets by the titans, who are basically ~120ft tall humans. Earth exists as we know it, but has not made contact with any of the aliens - its isolated in what amounts to a nature preserve. Most of the stories follow earthlings who were unfortunate enough to be abducted, but lucky enough to be adopted by a Titan. Unhappy with being pets (and more educated and independent than the "domesticated" strain of humans) they quickly convince their owners of their sapience all the while coping with their new and terrifying position in a universe that's just too big for them.

Links to some of the stories can be found here: http://pastebin.com/9VJFzALC
The stuff I referred to in the other post happens in "Exile".
>>
>>49273788
b-but muh nonstandard alternative cultures!
>>
How about stating OPs idea for something like a miniature game? We can't make miniatures anymore than we can make an RTS, but at least it'll be /tg/ relevant.
>>
>>49274670
The size difference between 6mm troops and 70-80mm 'major' units should work out for something like that. Though finding suitable models in that scale would be an absolute nightmare.

I'm not overly familiar with any 6mm-ish fantasy rules. Would have to do a little research, but I like the idea for sure.
>>
>>49274670
>>49275737
Yeah, OP said his imaginary RTS would have been about the interaction between differently sized units. It's definitely possible to do with miniatures. Hell, it could be a gimmick, if this theoretical game was commercial.
>>
>>49275886
On continued thought, could also do something hex-based. Like fantasy Ogre. Would be easier on the parts and the like. OP around anywhere to discuss possibilities/rules focus?
>>
>>49276035
I'm still here. I've been posting on and off. I'm of the opinion that my RTS ideas are somewhat irrelevant to the discussion, so I haven't bothered elaborating on any more of them. I can still offer suggestions for units we thought about, scenery from the game, ideas, stuff like that.
>>
>>49276554
You should. A desktop wargame is a logical step. If the rules are clear there, it makes it easier to run a game.
>>
>>49277235
Where would you like to start? Would you rather open a new thread for that?
>>
>>49254564
>>49254325

To be fair, half-giant x human is the hottest pairing out there.

Gotta love size difference.
>>
>>49277782
Start here. You still have plenty of room before autosage. Think of it as preparing for the next thread.

Can you just quickly make a list of the units and factions?
>>
>>49266184
Is there a Reference Doc for your setting, or is it still primarily undetailed? Sounds interesting.
>>
>>49278136
It's still mostly undetailed. I'm kinda slow on putting reference docs together, and I'm a bit more focused on Legacy than my fantasy side thing. Feel free to ask away on either though, and I'll answer what I can.
>>
>>49278175
You working on it alone, or is it a collective effort?
>>
File: army men.jpg (97KB, 900x450px) Image search: [Google]
army men.jpg
97KB, 900x450px
>>49275737
>Though finding suitable models in that scale would be an absolute nightmare.
You could always use these guys.
>>
>>49245229
>I'm talking "would be blind becaus photons would not be able to efficiently interact with the proportionally larger cells in their retinas" here

Fucking wat? You do realize larger creatures have more cells, not larger ones right? Or that whales have functioning eyes?
>>
>>49278714
He was almost certainly referring to the concept of just taking a regular person, with a regular biology, and "making everything proportionally bigger", which is of course ludicrous in any number of ways. The point was probably that you can't just make a creature larger, handwave as much of the biology as you like while keeping the parts you feel like it, and expect it to make sense.
>>
>>49278417
Both are collective efforts, though people come and go. The fantasy deal is mostly just me and guy-mentioned-above, while Legacy has a few extra contributors, though most of them are sorta past-tense at this point. (and sorry for delay)
>>
>>49277957
No problem. Obviously, some of the units would not make sense in a miniature game (I don't think there'd be a need for resource gatherers) and writing down their special abilities or stats down to specifics would be pointless. Still, listing them by basic ideas, here are some:

Thrym, microunits:

1. Dwarfs: depicted as scrawny, dishonorable and malicious, but highly intelligent. They are not good fighters, but can protect themselves with knives, hammers and axes if need be. An upgrade allows them to pick up bows at their burrows as a final line of base defense.

2. Raiders and Raider Archers: at the bottom of the Thrym's microunit totem pole are the Raider units, a rabble of Nordic looking humans with shields and weapons. They had an interesting mechanic by which they spawn automatically at a certain rate based on the intensity of fighting around the map, but this seems irrelevant to a miniature game.

3. Werewolves: Wild looking humans with large weapons. Can turn into big wolves for faster travel around the map and to stealthily move through forests.

4. Huscarls: a more advanced infantry type unit, they have better armor and weapons than the Raiders and specialize in defensive fighting.

5. Warjarls: mounted warriors with heavier armor and swords.

6. Alf Warriors: Stealthy, stealth detecting elves who can move through the woods and switch between bows and swords. Special abilities allow them to put enemies to sleep and place duplicates of themselves in wooded areas to confuse the enemy.

7. Wild Hunt: Mounted elves with long spears who can teleport through clouds of mist. Killing enemy microunits will cause Elfhounds to spawn next to them, adding to their attack power - but will dissipate over time, requiring that the Hunt go on to retain their edge. A special ability, The Horn of the Wild Hunt, can instantly summon elfhounds and strike terror in nearby enemies, but can only be used sparingly and so must be used with care.

(cont.)
>>
>>49279404
8. Valkyries: Warrior women mounted on giant ravens, with spears. Their special abilities allow them to return dead Raiders, Huscarls, or Werewolves or Warjarls to life, but there's a catch: a battalion who hasn't killed a certain number of enemies (the number being based on the value of the battalion itself – warjarls have to kill more than raiders to be considered) will be returned to life as a relatively weak battalion of draugr. A unit who HAS killed enough enemies will be returned as a very powerful battalion of einherjar.

9. Trebuchet: a siege engine built and operated by dwarfs. Useful for taking out enemy fortifications without having to bring in macroscale units.

10. Witches: a flight of wild looking women on brooms, dressed in black. They possess several abilities which impose debuffs on the enemy, including some low-level macrounits. Their basic attack involves flinging blue fire from their magic lanterns. At higher levels, they become invisible while flying and can detect stealthed units.

11. Huldras: the nice equivalent of the witches, forest women with animal features trained from the same building. They can heal and buff friendly units, but are weak in combat.

(cont.)
>>
>>49279415
Thrym, macrounits:

1. Wurum: very unusual, the wurum is a giant, venom spitting snake whom a DWARF, of all things, can learn to transform into if it collects enough treasure. Dwarfs rarely collect this much treasure.

2. Troll: the bread and butter of the Thrym macrounit roster. Big, hairy, with cow tails and huge noses. They are versatile and simple to use: they can pick up enemy units to throw around, throw boulders, uproot trees to use as clubs, stomp people to death, etc. They can also hide themselves by becoming supernaturally still and looking like mossy rocks, and with upgrades, cast a few spells which hamper enemy units.

3. Kveldrida: another odd one in the Thrym roster – a macrounit which isn't meant for fighting. The kveldrida is a gigantic trollwife, covered in moss and vegetation which take the shape of a ragged, hooded cloak. They carry a massive cauldron into battle which they use to cast spells. Not many at first – but they can get more spells by grabbing enemy microscale units and throwing them into the boiling cauldron. Different unit types make different spells. They can use their cauldrons to smash enemy troops, but this is a waste of their talents.

4. Mountain Bruiser: The guys who make trolls look like trolls make regular people look. Not quite "feature of the battlefield" scale, but getting there. Their clubs smash through walls, buildings, and entire microscale battalions.

5. Mountain Builder: Same size, and indeed, same tribe as the Mountain Bruisers, but given to more cerebral pursuits. They wear metal armor and wield hammers. They can build fortifications quickly and are armored to the teeth, but far slower and wouldn't do as well in a fight.

6. Woodwose: a mischievous giant covered in leaves, with large antlers on its head. It can masquerade as a tree, bring trees to life, use birds to spy on or harass enemies and call packs of wolves to eat them.

(cont.)
>>
>>49279434
7. Frost Giants: Bigger than the previous types, with ice armor an ice axes, and ice spears they can form and throw. Their breath freezes microunits solid or the body parts of macrounits. Several of them, working in tandem, can erect temporary ice-fortresses around the battlefield, which units can garrison. They are large enough to throw not just enemy troopers, but also the ruins of some buildings, and some small buildings themselves.
8. Fire Giants: The same size as the Nifl giants, but fiery. They are all about causing damage. Their fiery auras damage enemies just by their presence, and their breath sets battalions on fire. They can throw explosive fireballs and drive units into a burning rage. A side effect of being burning means that they cannot be climbed or bound (the ropes burn off).
9. Galeskald: A storm giant with a penchant for the arts. Among the largest units in the game, it can throw spears as large as trees (in fact, using a certain special ability, the spears which stick to the ground BECOME trees), sing to buff nearby units, or draw massive runes on the battlefield to create constant effects. Large enough to pluck dragons out of the sky.
10. Storm Thane: The largest units in the Thrym arsenal and the largest in the game in terms of height, Storm Thanes destroy entire enemy battalions by walking over them. They carry hammers and horns and are dressed in the finest of warrior-king type jewelry. Besides smashing the ground so hard battalions of troops are flung into the air on the other side of the battlefield, they can shoot lightning, summon lightning storms, blow hard enough to send microscale units flying or knock macroscale units down, and leap across the battlefield with a sound of thunder. Large enough to pluck dragons out of the sky.

>Those were the Thrym for now. Give me some time and I'll type up the unit lists for Vritra and Anu too.
>>
File: Thingy.png (43KB, 213x195px) Image search: [Google]
Thingy.png
43KB, 213x195px
>>49279415
Liking things so far. Moving a bit away from a miniatures sort of game, at least for the moment, I've got a bit of an idea.

I've been toying with the idea of a hex based wargamef or awhile where a units abilities, attack and defense and stuff is per-hexside, to give an immediate sort of positioning mechanic. Thinking it's something that could be applied here. Pick related.

Mind, I don't know what the numbers do just yet. I figure a unit is 'reduced' and flipped to its weaker back side before it's actually removed from play. unless it really sucks to begin with.

This could also make some of those special abilities a little easier. (illusionary alf warriors are the same but have a 'spoof' backside when they're attacked. Count the number of tokens discarded in a turn to roll for more raiders appearing. Stack a units kills beneath it to count later for Einherjar raising, etc)
>>
>>49279758
These are all pretty nice ideas.
>>
Vritra, microunits:

1. Vanara: Mystical, jungle-dwelling monkey men enslaved by the dragon-lords. Serve as builders and resource gatherers, but also make useful scouts due to their unparalleled woodland mobility: by climbing and leaping between the trees, they actually move FASTER and stealthily through forest areas.

2. Clan Swordsmen and Clan Archers: basic footmen in the armies of the dragonlords, carrying geographically inaccurate but impressive looking banners. Come in large groups and have few advantages besides coming in large groups. The Dragonforged Armor upgrade, later in the game, gives them marginally more use by covering them in metal.

3. Clan Charioteers: Riding in gold chariots inspired by Thai depictions of Ravanna, pulled by tigers. Each chariot carries both lancers are archers.

4. Ascetics: Warrior monks with wide-brimmed hats and quarterstaffs, running across the battlefield like mystical ninjas. Their ability to make crazy wushu leaps gives them great verticality and makes them dangerous to macroscale units (which they can climb very fast), and they get a number of useful special abilities: The Empty Self turns them invisible, while Weightlessness Siddhi allows them to fly for short periods of time.

5. Lotus Archers: Looking like traditional Thai depictions of Rama, they are slow but long ranged archer units which can, in large masses, bring down even dragons. They possess a special ability which causes a field of magical lotus flowers to bloom where their arrows fall. These put many units who pass nearby them to sleep – but also heal them over time. Can be used offensively or defensively as a result. An upgrade causes a similar lotus field to sprout where members of these battalions die.
>>
>>49281043
6. Dakini: winged, fabulous female spirits. Possess buffing and debuffing abilities in equal measure but will get slaughtered by anything with a ranged attack.
7. Cuoi: Buffalo headed spirits who worship the moon. Can heal microscale units and fight using a pair of axes, which they either throw or swing.
8. Kaliya Knights: Serpent people in service to the dragonlords. Silent and deadly, armed with both bows and sabers. They can crush enemy microscale units between their coils after being upgraded once, spit venom after being upgraded twice, and throw poison bombs after being upgraded three times.
9. Rakshasas: Multiheaded, many-handed demons carrying more blades than a Victorinox. They can possess microscale units and even some weaker macroscale ones, allowing them to control the unit and leave unharmed when it is destroyed. Since they can also leave whenever they want, this ability can even be used for transportation, due to its considerable range.
10. Devil-Watchers: members of a race of wise, elephant-headed spirits, they carry bowls of sacred milk and staves covered in bells to fight off demons. Possess healing and buffing abilities, and can cast off their consciousness by meditating on the atma.
>>
>>49281055
11. Windriders: Very, very, very courageous men, riding magical kites. They are armed with crossbows and can be upgraded to throw firebombs from the sky.

12. Cloud Shepherds: Minor gods, mounted on mythical animals known as "ky lan" (the Vietnamese name for the Chinese "qilin"…). They are flying, mounted archers with an interesting mechanic: their "battalion" is not made up of more of them, but rather, of the "cloud flock", heavenly sheep and rams. Each shepherds flock grows over time up to a certain size, and each cloud sheep in it increases the shepherds survivability by being able to take hits for it. Furthermore: Cloud Shepherds possess special abilities which can be "fueled" by sacrificing a certain number of cloud sheep, making for somewhat of a resource management issue. By sacrificing members of their flocks, Cloud Shepherds can fire off lightning strikes, stun battalions with thunder, or heal with rain. They can also sacrifice the entire flock at once for a Tempest Charge, teleporting across the battlefield causing heavy damage and stunning everyone around them. The more sheep are in the Cloud Flock at the time, the greater the range and the damage.

13. War Turtles: Technically macroscale units, since they have targetable body parts (they are considered microscale because they come in groups), these are elephant sized turtles with jeweled shells, who can crawl on land or swim surprisingly fast through water. On their backs are howdahs with lancers and archers. Each Great Turtle can be individually upgraded to also carry, in addition, an automatic crossbow (great against groups of microscale units), a cannon (turning it into a siege weapon), or a bowl of healing water to buff units around it.

14. Hungry Ghosts: produced from dead battalions of human units through certain dragon spells. Weak and slow, but resilient and can come in large masses.
>>
>>49281071
Vritra, macroscale:

1. Ascendant: Kaliyas who have achieved enlightenment, growing in size and gaining the powers of flight and magic. They breath poisonous vapors and can call massive, writing masses of serpents to appear to slow down, trip, kill and devour enemy units. They also have the ability to revive dead microscale units as hungry ghosts.

2. Nagini: The Vritra's only macroscale unit who doesn't fly makes up for it in versatility. Naginis are beautiful, enormous snake-women with innumerable arms, four of which are targetable and have game effects: the arm wielding a trident gives the nagini a powerful siege attack, the arm wielding a massive sword gives it a sweeping melee attack that can carve through microscale battalions, the arm wielding a flower allows it heal nearby friendly units, and the arm wielding a mirror vastly increases its line-of-sight and reveals stealthy enemies so long as it hasn't been harmed. Naginis, like many of the dragons, can crush certain types of fortifications by coiling around them and applying pressure.

3. Garuda: Not dragons at all, but rather, gigantic predatory birds. They can flap their wings to create winds that blow back enemy units and descend very quickly upon enemies, carrying them off into the sky and throwing them about. It does not have a ranged attack, and is quite vulnerable if it gets tied up on the ground.

4. Makara: The Makara is a crocodilian river dragon from Cambodian mythology, here presented as also having (feathered, colorful) wings and being capable of flight. As in Cambodian mythology, the Makara possess backs strong enough to carry the gods – and indeed, each Makara juggernaut carries a golden temple-fortress upon its back, which rains arrows on the enemy as the Makara breaths fire at them.
>>
>>49281082

5. Guardians: Dragons with the body of a lion and a leonine face, also from Cambodian folklore, known for their loyalty and courage. The Tao Guardian is a slow, flying tank and a support unit, being capable of several types of defensive spellcasting. Its signature ability allows it to absorb all damage directed at another dragon/battalion of microunits (or even several, if the Tao Guardian is feeling brave), ultimately increasing their survivability.

6. Dragon Magistrate: a beautiful, many colored dragon, entrusted by his lord with meting out justice in a province. On a larger scale than the previous units. Essentially the "backbone" dragon unit, magistrates do not have many special abilities, but are solid, all-around useful firebreathing fliers. They can crush buildings between their coils.

7. Dragon Knight: An armored, warrior dragon, with a lot of HP and access to potent offensive spells. The dragon knight can freely change shape, assuming the form of a gold-armored human warrior with a massive sword for when being huge and flying can be a hindrance. In this form, it is capable of making enormous wushu leaps and flinging microscale units into the air with its sword swings. In draconic form, they can crush buildings between their coils.
>>
File: 1444695851664.png (189KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1444695851664.png
189KB, 480x360px
>>49239051
If it's not his it's certainly mine.
>>
>>49281090
8. Sage: An old, old dragon with a beardlike mane and impressive antlers, the heavenly sage is almost a pure spellcasting macrounit, offering buffs to nearby friendlies. Sages can change shape into an old man in monastic robes to unleash deadly martial arts attacks. They are larger and longer than the magistrates and the dragon knights, being comparable in size to frost and fire giants.
9. Immaculate: Huge, many headed, enlightened dragons, their bodies adorned with gold. Each of their heads possesses a different ability: one strengthens friendly units with its fragrant breath, one breaths fire, one pushes back enemy units with a torrent of water, one poisons enemies in a large cone, one freezes microscale units in place with its hypnotic eyes, and one can regenerate other heads which have been severed so long as it is still alive. All heads can also attack in melee, should the Immaculate decide to land. They can take the shape of beautiful divine concubines, armed with a golden polearm.
10. Heavenly Master: A dragon so long with wings so massive that it can effectively wrestle a Storm Thane, or for that matter, pick up castle towers between its hindclaws and rip them off to throw somewhere else on the battlefield. Their most distinctive trait is the sacred crystal balls held in their foreclaws – the source of their power. Their crystal balls grant them access to immensely powerful offensive and defensive spells, including the ability to make geysers of molten metal burst out of the ground and the abilities to conjure out of nothingness a Garden of Delights (a structure which heals and empowers all friendly units around it), a Divine Fortress (which attacks and slows down enemy units around it), or call several battalions of Hungry Ghosts from the underworld. Even without their crystal balls, they are still among the most formidable warriors on the battlefield. They can take the shape of glowing, buddha-like figures, retaining all of their spells.
>>
Currently DMing Storm King's Thunder for 5e. Myself and my players have a micro/macro fetish.

>Gonna magical realm the shit out of it.
>>
>>49281318
Have a good time
>>
Dominions is a lot like this in the Early Era.
>>
Anu, microunits:
1. Slaves: The Anu's worker units are weak, fragile, and work very, very slowly. They are also so cheap that a player can mass dozens of them by the first minutes of the game without even trying – which is good, because liches have special abilities which allow them to regain MP or gain temporary buffs by sacrificing these poor souls in masses.
2. Grave Servants: favored slaves who were once entombed alongside their necromantic masters, now tirelessly laboring for the Anu like hyperactive (read: actually useful) versions of the slaves. Have no combat value and no place in a tabletop game. Unlike their living counterparts, they are no good to sacrifice.
3. House Guards and House Archers: human soldiers recruited from among the living in the lands of the Anu. House Guards carry spears and shields, and die in droves unless massed in ridiculous amounts. House Warriors carry bows and curved swords, and aren't all that much better.
4. Bladedrivers: bladed chariots, carried by boring old regular horses and not nearly as impressive as the stuff the Vritra can field. Can carry either archers or spearmen – they aren't large enough for both at the same time.
5. Elephants: the strongest Anu units which aren't somehow created by magic, they are ridden and "crewed" by dark skinned mercenaries from lands further outside Anu's. Archers on back, smash buildings with their tusks. Since the Anu don't otherwise have siege engines in the classical sense, they're gonna have to make do.
6. Grave Wretches: slow, rotting zombies which are very weak, but can be "recruited" very cheaply from a building or simply produced by liches by sacrificing their even cheaper Slaves on a 1 for 1 basis. Ridiculous amounts of these make a nice backbone for an army.
7. Skeleton Warriors and Skeleton Archers: can be recruited for resources or, more cheaply, "recruited" on the battlefield from unfortunate House units.
>>
>>49282303
8. Utukku: Treacherous, jackal-headed demons summoned by the Anu. Can either move slowly and stealthily or quickly and noisily, and rip enemies to shreds with their claws.
9. Bonemights: crafted from several skeletons, these hulking bone horrors offer the Anu a much needed microscale assault option.
10. Asaggu: plague-bringing ghosts, torturously torn from the corpses of the diseased. They are stealthy and while their normal attack is piss poor, simply being around them causes damage to enemy units. Make for good harassment.
11. Edimmu: Edimmu (or edims) are flying, screaming ghosts with a weak melee attack but very high speed.
>>
>>49282326
12. Vampires: powerful, undead troopers that can use bows from afar or swords at melee – replenishing their own HP by doing the latter. They can take to the air in the form of black birds (not bats, interestingly), but cannot attack in this shape. Two separate upgrades allow their bird form to be stealthed and for them to detect stealthed units in either form.
13. Lamashtu: Female demons, looking like the classical depiction of harpies, except beautiful instead of hideous. Can become or render other units invisible, and drain enemy HP from afar. They can also cast debuffs on enemy microscale units, the most powerful of which is the Seed of Evil. Units who have been implanted with demonic seed with be significantly weakened for a large period of time, and should they die within that time, immediately give birth to an Utukku from their corpse.
14. Lumasi: a bizarre, but loyal type of demon, with the hindlegs of a bull, the forelegs of a lion, the head of a man and the wings of an eagle. Lumasi can breathe fire, heal and buff friendly units, but their most useful trait is that they can be ridden by liches, giving them a physical edge most do not otherwise have.
>>
>>49282344
Anu, liches:
1. Court Astrologer: a lich specializing in celestial magic. They can observe faraway areas of the map and, using a special ability, see what orders the enemy player is giving their units and buildings (down to the specific locations he's sending them), mark an enemy unit with an invisible (to the enemy) star that reveals their position, create mobile, controllable "Guiding Stars" which greatly increase the speed and line of sight of friendly units around them, and otherwise gather information for their controlling player. Far from being pushovers in battle, Court Astrologers can also perform such feats as driving entire enemy battalions insane by exposing them to visions of space, reducing their line of sight to near nothing with an eclipse, and, most spectacularly, calling down meteorite showers. Like all liches, it can mount a lumasu and can revive dead Slaves as Grave Wretches and dead House units as Skeletons. With an upgrade, it can also turn an entire House battalion into a Bonemight. With another upgrade, they can do the same to enemy human units.
2. Court Alchemist: A lich specializing in material magic. They can change the shape of the battlefield by raising mountains out of the sand or causing entire regions to crumble into a sinkhole. It can render large areas of the battlefield temporarily unpassable with walls of burning ice, which it can shatter on command for massive damage. To harm enemies, they can summon clouds of toxic gas and pools of liquid fire which spreads across armies, or debuff them by causing weapons and armor to rust. Like all liches, it can mount a lumasu and can revive dead Slaves as Grave Wretches and dead House units as Skeletons. With an upgrade, it can also turn an entire House battalion into a Bonemight. With another upgrade, they can do the same to enemy human units.
>>
>>49282366
3. Court Conjurer: A lich specializing in mental magic. They can create illusory armies or large amounts of illusory duplicates of themselves, or influence the battlefield by creating illusory mountains to block line of sight or illusory fortresses to force the enemy into changing their tactics. They can take over entire battalions of microscale units permanently and put even macroscale units temporarily to sleep. They can cause enemies to rout in terror or buff allies with massive attack bonuses at the cost of defense penalties by numbing them to horror with visions of paradise. They can cause themselves to look like any friendly or enemy microscale unit. It has all usual lich abilities.
4. Court Librarian: A lich specializing in the preservation of scrolls and artifacts, and by extension, preservation in general. Possessing the most powerful defensive buffs in the game, as well as the ability to heal entire armies of undead very quickly for almost no MP and continuously re-revive them when they fall. Court Librarians can also freeze friendly or enemy units and structures in time, protecting them but taking them out of the battle temporarily, or alternatively, cause buildings and macroscale units massive damage by bombarding them with entropy until they crumble to dust. As a last resort, Court Librarians can temporarily remove themselves or large amounts (entire armies) of friendly or enemy units from the timeline, essentially causing them to disappear from the map entirely before reappearing some time later. It has all usual lich abilities.
>>
>>49282403
5. Court Champion: A lich specializing in battle magic. The closest liches come to being good fighters, the Court Champion can engulf itself in ghostly armor and summon a whirlwind of burning swords to either defend it or attack enemies. It can teleport entire armies, fly on wings of flame and bombard enemies down below with torrents of explosive fireballs, and summon raging vortices of fire and lightning to ravage through the enemy side of the battlefield. It can also fight defensively, raising fortifications from the dirt which friendly units can garrison, or which it can cause to blow up spectacularly to cause damage to everything around them. It has all usual lich abilities.

Anu, macrounits:

1. Golem: the most basic of the Anu's macrounits is a troll sized, living statue. It has no particular special abilities and isn't very fast, but it's cheap and its real purpose it to soak damage for the liches behind it.
2. Colossus: Larger, smarter, and all around better than the golem, the bronze colossus can also breathe fire at enemy units or channel it into sacred flames around it, healing nearby friendlies.

(cont.)
>>
>>49282422
3. Bonestrider: a gigantic scorpion made from the bones of innumerable skeletons. It has no special abilities beyond being massive and destructive, and being able to offer a threat to the smaller giants with its sting.
4. Tainted Flesh: the fortunate byproduct of some unspeakable necromantic experiment, Tainted Flesh is a massive blob of sentient gore with no bones or skin. It can slowly roll over enemy units to absorb them into its mass, growing larger and more powerful as it does. With enough flesh, it can sprout tentacles or hurl pieces of itself at enemies, or leave in its wake dangerous, toxic residue. After absorbing an enormous amount of enemy units (including potentially macroscale ones), it can even split into two smaller versions of itself.
5. Chaintitan: a clockwork giant covered in rattling, bladed chains, given a semblance of life by binding a powerful demon into it. Its many chains cause havoc among microscale enemy units and can trip and entangle macroscale ones. It can also consume enemy mircoscale units in order to fill up tanks of miasma: when released, miasma causes damage-over-time to enemy microscale units. Should they die in the miasma, they will rise as skeletons.
6. War Barge: a magical, versatile flying ship the size of a frost giant, mounting innumerable archers. Each War Barge may receive up to three individualized upgrades from a list of several: a cannon which shoots streams of liquid fire at units below, the ability to go invisible, the ability to teleport short distances, a deck full of catapults, or a protective shell of stormclouds that increases its HP and causes lightning to surge at units passing beneth it.
>>
>>49282445
7. Abominable Ark: An enormous (Storm Thane scale), floating, excruciatingly slow cube adorned with jewels and gold. This magical puzzle box is the prison of a terrible demon. Even contained within it, its influence is felt. By changing its configuration (which takes some time, but can be done on the move), the Abominable Ark can affect the battlefield in several ways: teleporting all units around it a large distance, turning all friendly units in a large radius around it invisible, revealing enormous portions of the map and all enemy units on them, buffing and healing all friendly units in a large radius, or just obliterating enemy units by briefly opening portions of itself and drawing them into the demon's prison. Lastly, the Abominable Ark can be sacrificed: by "unlocking" the puzzle box, the demon contained within can be released. The flying demon is enormously powerful and large enough to wrestle with Storm Thanes or Heavenly Masters, and its presence burns units in a large radius to ash. Unfortunately, it is also completely uncontrollable, taking out its anger at being imprisoned at everything unfortunate enough to be in the area. After a short time, it will disappear in a gigantic blast of fire.

>that's it for the unit list, folks. Only other ones we have are of either no interest or would not fit the game (for example, one of the Thrym's buildings, the one that produces witches, huldra and kvildredas, can sprout chicken legs and turn into a fighty macrounit itself)
>>
Hate to criticize, but do you realize that this is far too many units per faction, given the game's apparent level of complexity? Individual units appear to require WarCraft levels of micromanagement to get the most out of (multiple special abilities, tons of spells for some, unusual traits), yet in games of this sort it is rare for factions to have more than 10-12 different unit types and each one serves a clear purpose. It's true that games like Supreme Commander give each side dozens of units types but in those cases, all ultimately work pretty similarly and only a few have to be actually MANAGED.

This looks like each side has 22-25 different units between the scales to think about, and they're ALL complicated.
>>
>>49278929
Is there some way to contact you to help on any of this, or should I just keep an eye out for you in the future?
>>
>>49283203
There's the Discord server I mentioned above.
https://discord.gg/WgxC2J5
Or you can ping [email protected] for one of my other IM handles. Or just email. Whatever works for you. (Or anyone else)

>>49282969
That actually sounds like fair criticism. It may be better to have subdivisions among the factions or actively limit how many of these units a player has to worry about in a single game (Ala CoH's limited unlock trees, whatever they called 'em)
>>
New thread when?
Thread posts: 318
Thread images: 57

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.