[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If I should try to insult in ttrpg, what skill should I roll

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: IMG-20160215-WA0004.jpg (51KB, 540x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG-20160215-WA0004.jpg
51KB, 540x960px
If I should try to insult in ttrpg, what skill should I roll for? A basic charisma check? Intimidate? Persuade? Obviously it's a charisma based skill, but what would be the most fitting skill?
>>
File: Social Combat.gif (2MB, 400x209px) Image search: [Google]
Social Combat.gif
2MB, 400x209px
>>49237298
I tend to just roll diplomacy, intimidate, and bluff into an overarching "Speech" skill anyway, since it makes zero sense for somebody to be convincing while lying (bluff) but be absolutely shit at conversation when they're trying to persuade someone truthfully (diplomacy).
>>
>>49237298
Insult is not a skill, it's an action. The question is if there is an intended effect. I assume taunting. (Although it could also be intimidation.) If your system has no stat for taunting, just use Charisma.
>>
I don't understand why you need to roll a dice to insult somebody in game? Just fucking insult them you unimaginative twat.
>>
>>49237298
depends on the reaction you want to have from your quarry, and from what systrem you're using.

Going as D&D, if you want to provoke them into fighting or some shit like that, you roll bluff/decieve

If you want to scare them you roll intimidate
>>
>>49237465
I'm currently DMing a game where insulting consists of coming up with insults yourself to say them IC, but the problem here is one player of mine. She can't come up with a decent insult that would trigger even a SJW, but her character is quite the opposite. Until now the "player skill, not character skill" method has been enough and pretty hilarious sometimes, but I want all my players have their fun.
>>
>>49237348
There are plenty of people who are shit at lying and not the other stuff though.
>>
>>49237595
Just do it the way a lot of groups do puzzles.
The players represent the group as a whole, so if the smartest player comes up with the solution then the smartest character thought of it.
Let others help with the insults.
>>
>>49237298
Roll your Rs, that's what.
>>
>>49237809
That doesn't seem like a bad idea, I'll give it a try.
>>
>>49237298
Just fucking insult them, use your non-existant creativity, you snakedick-sucking, asshole sniffing piece of rotten griffon fecal matter
>>
>>49240574
Give me your best insults!
>>
>>49237298
Depends on the rpg I guess. In my system there's a 'Taunt' skill that is meant specifically to allow you to provoke and attract enemies in battle or unsettle/enrage people in social situations.
>>
>>49242831
Fuck you, you slime-eating degenerate tadpole.
Your scent is as appealing as rotting horse carcass, your mind as ephemeral as steam.
If you are brother to every man, it is only so that no woman would have you as a wife.
Neither you nor your limp wrist have any sort of resolve in them, and if the goddess of love gave herself to you it would not be enough to cause you to raise.
Your children will never have to fear inferiority to their father, even if they must rise out of slime because no woman would mother them.
You cow, you soulless shrew, you possess all the appearance and none of the strength or children of a she-bear.
Burning at the stake is too good for your ilk.
If you were tied and hurled to drown, you witch, you bounce because the river refuses to sully itself with your odious composition.
If you were my wife, I would suspect poison in my meals- yet eat.
>>
>>49240574
Go fuck your goo-slurping tarrasque of a mother with your faerie-sized dick, you crossbreed of a retarded goat and a mongoloid beholder. How the fuck did you manage to get so ugly, did a coked up ogre give you brain-surgery with his syphilis-infested dick while ramming your head up your pisshole? I will rip your putrid, shit stained skin of and use it as cumrag.
>>
>>49237298
It really depends on the game system in question.

Insulting can result in a number of things.
If you do so skillfully, you're usually trying to "put him in his place", "rile him up", or otherwise distract him.

Distraction is usually Bluff or Fast Talk skill. It's like lying in that the goal is to obfuscate something. It just doesn't necessarily need to be untrue.

Making someone angry could be fast talk or even Intimidate (if your GM is feeling generous). You're just trying to get a snap reaction (what fast talking is) and pushing people to anger is about as snap as you can get. Bluffing is often what I default all fasttalking to when the skill doesn't exist. Intimidation is allowed at my tables to do this mostly as an archetype thing, big scary guys are the ones who take this skill, and they often want to be where the anger is pointed in violent conflicts (as they're the best at taking hits).

As for defaming... Public Speaking, Perform: Oratory or Comedy, Intimidate, Fast Talk (for short term), or Diplomacy (if you're making face with the audience). Talking bad about someone, while still looking cool enough for people to care about your opinion is hard work, but it's important enough in many of my games that I've allowed a shit ton of leeway to my players on skill used.

If the goal was simply to insult the guy, not to make them react, then don't roll, just let the player shout something.
If you must, roll on a Lore/Knowledge skill to see if the character knows enough to come up with something good.

But consider not rolling if a player comes up with a really good one, or rolling at a bonus/lower target number.
>>
>>49237298
Area knowledge (Your mom)
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.