[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 374
Thread images: 35

File: 1468517410626.jpg (4MB, 3203x4436px) Image search: [Google]
1468517410626.jpg
4MB, 3203x4436px
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Previous Edition:
>>49202126
>>
>tfw no shield-maiden waifu
>>
>Pact of the Blade gets an automatic extra attack at level 5 and the EK War Magic feature at level 10
>Thirsting blade changed: When you damage a target with your pact weapon, you have advantage on all attacks against that target made with your pact weapon until the beginning of your next turn.

Yes or no?
>>
Will Wheaton did nothing wrong Edition
>>
>>49213885
Shut up, wesley.
>>
>>49213841
Just make her, anon. I did and it rocked (Battlemaster Fighter who went Protection specialization so I could shove my shield in peoples faces when they dared to attack my allies).
>>
>>49213873
As long as you get rid of the extra attack invocation then yes go ahead.

War magic seems alright but that is giving me a min maxing feeling. That's not giving an option that's giving you a constant bonus action turn. War Magic is good for fighters cause attacking is all they have, the spell won't do much relative to 3-4 attacks, only make them stronger. War magic for a warlock means it's just 4 eldritch blasts then a glaive attack.

Advantage on all attack rolls against an enemy after a hit is a big fat no. Imagine a gish that when they use a spell slot they have a chance of not losing the spell slot. Having a caster do something a martial can't concerning melee combat seems dumb in my opinion. You want to be bringing them closer to martials not be overtaking them.

Anyways I thought the pacts were meant for utility why not just give the warlock maneuvers and two superiority dice for in combat utility and be done. I'll be nice you can use your charisma modifier for the DC.
>>
File: 2010-aenarion-2-copy-(2)_03.jpg (200KB, 895x887px) Image search: [Google]
2010-aenarion-2-copy-(2)_03.jpg
200KB, 895x887px
Has anyone ran a 5e game in the Warhammer world (set before the end times, of course)?

I'm currently DMing LMoP for my group and getting a bit annoyed at how badly Faerun meshes with my own expectations of a medieval fantasy world. I tend to want a lot of mud, blood and grittiness, with magic something the common folk are afraid of or at least incredibly superstitious about. Elves are incredibly alien creatures that mortals have a hard time understanding, xenophobia is rampant.
I used to play WHFB TT in my teens and WAR later on so I have some experience with the setting. It seems it would fit my needs well.

RIght now I'm kind of torn between using the Warhammer setting wholesale, copying the races I like into Faerun (replacing the boring ass Wild Elves with Asrai, for example) or just tossing both in a blender and coming up with a new "totally original" setting.
>>
>>49214112
>Just make her, anon.

But anon, I don't think there are Not!Scandinavians in Eberron.
>>
File: 1453285860082.jpg (579KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1453285860082.jpg
579KB, 1000x1000px
>>49214156
>just tossing both in a blender and coming up with a new "totally original" setting.

This is what I did in my Totally Original (DO NOT STEAL) setting.

The Boreal Elves (Warhammer High Elves) are constantly invading the southlands in the hopes of getting to warmer climates, while the Boreals who got cultured and civilized are Cosmopolitans (vanilla Elf.)

And then you've got the Lunar Elves (Aen Elle from Witcher,) who only show up every Full Moon to launch Wild Hunts against the surface world for slaves and amusement.

The setting's Not!Scandinavia is majority Half-Elf due to their proximity to the Boreals, and are noted for producing the finest blades and swordsmen in the setting.
>>
>>49213954
The only proper response

>>49214161
The Lhazaar Principalities would fit. People commonly peg them as pirates, but they're more Viking-like to me with their culture of exploration and settlement.
>>
Okay, question as fuck
Watching the Storm King promotional shit on Nerdist with Mercer and Chris Hardwick, Brian Posehn etc
Hardwick's PC just got smashed to fucking taffy by a rune-activated trap
Should that actually have given the attack roll that managed to crit there, or just prompted a dexterity saving throw from Hardwick to trap's natural damage?
>>
>>49214331
Did Hardwick's lolrandumb wizard die for real? Please tell me it's true, he ruined that series (and watching games in general) for me on episode 1.
>>
Treasure of the Broken Hoard when?
>>
>>49214502
Episode 6 if you want to see it
54 crushing damage to a 27 max HP wizard
fucking deleted
>>
>>49213885
Shut up, wesley.
>>
I'm going to play a CE character soon... And I don't wana come off as chaotic stupid. What do?
>>
>>49214526
>phb 197, massive damage/instant death rule
>damage dealt is exactly twice the wizard's maximum
That was no accident.
>>
>>49214156
5E is set in Forgotten Realms, a traditionally high fantasy setting. If you're looking for low fantasy, there's Greyhawk and Dark Sun. Oh, and Mystara, but that's really fucking old.
>>
>>49214612
Have you read Hogfather? If so, be like Mr. Teatime.
>>
>>49213885
Shut up, wesley.
>>
>>49214616
Are you implying Matt killed him or the producers scripted Wheat-on's death? Because either way I question the mechanics of the trap actually dealing the damage with an attack roll. If that's not how it works, then yeah Matt probably killed him off but I'd like to make sure I don't misunderstand the RAW since english isn't my first language anyway.
>>
>>49214622
Wait, FR is High Fantasy and Greyhawk is low fantasy? As far as I have read there are just as much epic fantasy stuff in Greyhawk, things like the tale of Yggwilv and Graz'zt, their son Lux, and her mother Baba Yaga and her apprentice. That all sounded way high fantasy to me.
>>
>>49214612
Depends on your characters background. You can be a selfish douche bag without fucking everything up.

If your character isn't retarded, just be clever about your actions. Do evil on the side without the party knowing, try to squeeze money out of npcs as a reward if he's greedy, have some master plan, etc. He could be evil but pretend to be a nice guy. Whatever you think would be fun/ be plausible. Might have to pass notes to your DM about some stuff if you want to go the sneaky route.
>>
>>49214655
That's Teh-ah-tim-eh
>>
>>49214685
Certain traps having attack rolls is kosher, if the trap is something like a spike trap or poison darts. Such traps can crit the same as any other attack roll, though I question a crushing trap getting to roll (seems more like a dex save to escape it to me).

Moreso I meant the damage. If the wizard had a max HP of 27, then 54 is the absolute minimum required to kill him from max HP with no saves.
>>
>>49214688
My bad, I meant epic fantasy.
>>
>>49214725
You mean like around 4 in the afternoon?
>>
>>49214612
>And I don't wana come off as chaotic stupid. What do?
Well then don't be fucking stupid.

Here's some handy tips:
Don't dick the party, you're part of the party. Dicking them is dicking yourself.
Don't dick the quest npcs, they give you shit that helps you dick other, less loot-giving, assholes.
If there is no gain, there is no reason to do it.
Not being a man of your word doesn't mean never abiding by your word. You can actually fulfill a promise once or twice.
Don't be fucking stupid.
>>
>>49214655
I have not. Short story?
>>
>>49214612
Just be Selfish Evil, belkar did it
>>
>>49214946
Pratchett novel. Discworld series. Part of the Death storyline, and the Wizards are there too I suppose.
>>
>>49214946
>>49215005
And before I forget, they made a movie about it.
>>
>>49215021
The movie is pretty good. Mr Teatime there was a very well played out character.
>>
And now, a wonderful thought in line with this brief mini discussion in mind, how would you tinker with 5E if you wanted to run a game set on the Discworld?
>>
>>49215050
>How do run [setting] in [system]
I'm going to go ahead and stop you right there.
>>
>>49215041
It really was, and I quite enjoyed all the casted Wizards save for the Dean.

The Dean just wasn't right, he wasn't right I say.

Ridcully was perfect.
>>
>>49215005
>>49215021
I love you for giving me my next book to read. So far I've only read The Colour of Magic from Pratchett.
>>
>>49215108
Collor of Magic Dean was better. Same person, same position, but he was just right there. Just right I say.
>>
>>49215108
Let's not forget Bilious.
>>
>>49215108
I really wish they'd have done the Night Watch books, though, instead. I enjoyed The Colour of Magic and Going Postal.
>>
>>49215161
The one in the film of Hogfather was not born to rune, nor did he seem particularly well studied in the school dining hall.
>>
So did they not have a UA for this month or do we seriously have to wait another week
>>
>>49215157
Well, while most of his works are great as stand alone pieces, there feels like there is backstory to Hogfather...

Ah hell, just roll with it and enjoy a merry holiday tale.
>>
>>49215308
>Civic Holiday
>PAX
Another week.
>>
>>49215308
They posted one. How did you miss it?
>>
>>49215309
Hogfather makes more sense if you've read Mort and Soul Music.
>>
>>49215350
For Christ's sake. I get its Labor Day, but is releasing something on Friday really going to destroy the world?
>>
>>49215389
Obviously, why else would they adhere so strictly to their eldritch rituals. Should they not align these secretly runic wards of binding it would unbound The Dragon they bound into the internet. Nonplussed, it would be free again to terrorize and menace us with paper cuts and amusing Nodwick comics.
>>
>>49214622
Mystara isn't low fantasy, it's Weird Fantasy, slightly different.
>>
>>49215350
Speaking of Pax West, I went to my local theater for the Fathom Events broadcast of D&D Live and no one at my theater (all less than 15 of us) got the supposed 32 page Booklet adventure advertised with ticket purchases.
>>
So can a warlock during downtime use 32 5th level spells at level 9? I get that with 1 hr short rests you can't use spells out of combat and then take another short rest to have them for combat again, but if you have extended periods of downtime, either a lot during a day or several days/weeks, I feel like selling spell services would be OP for them?
>>
>>49214616
It only needs to deal 27*1.5 damage, so 40 damage for OHKO.
>>
>>49214688
Forgotten Realms as a setting has much more emphasis on the people and it's cultures.
Greyhawk as a setting has much more emphasis on it's cosmological and demonology stuff; there's hardly a plot point or Greyhawk adventure that goes by without some major demon showing up to piss all over everybody.

This is due to the respective taste differences of the two creators, obviously.
>>
>>49215452
Even if you're selling spellcasting services, its a matter of demand.
>>
>>49215471
Spell scrolls then? Idk the rules about it but I feel like there should be uses for warlock spells that you could sell, even if you end up using 3rd level ones and stuff.
>>
>>49215467
I can respect that. Although I must argue that most plots in FR do also stem or somehow develop from godly or otherwise otherworldly intervention. But I otherwise agree with you wholeheartedly, specially when the plots revolve around one of the myriad ancient empires of FR.
>>
Any good DnD channels or podcasts? And additionally any playthroughs of published adventures of 5e?
>>
>>49215453
P sure that's wrong mate
If any damage is left over after the big hit, if that damage is equal to your HP max, you're fuckin dead kiddo

12 hp max, 6 total, 18 hit. 12 left after 0, 12 max, dead PC.
>>
>>49215452
>>49215490
Warlocks use slots of a 5th level and no higher. They have one 6th, one 7th, 8th and 9th Mystic Arcana, which takes a long rest.
>>
>>49215610
Check out Acquisitions Incorporated I guess. I, for one, enjoy it a lot.
>>
SKT scan progress: 182/256. I've got all up to there cropped and rescanned where needed already as well.

Also thanks to a kind anon from the Discord that donated some of the artist-website-whatever digital maps from SKT and the city maps from SCAG, which have been added to the Mega.
>>
>>49213809
>you will never play as an American Viking, bringing FREEDOM and LIBERTY to the oppressed feudal masses with your trusty bald raven
>>
>>49215659
You doing the giant god's work, anon.
>>
>>49215659
you are my fucking nigger, man
>>
>>49215628
That is true. Not sure what is has to do with my question though.
>>
How do you guys feel about the Monster Hunter / Inquisitor from the Gothic Heroes UA?
>>
>>49215659
You are the hero we need, but not the one we deserve
>>
Question for everyone here: Theatre of the Mind, Battle Grid/Mat, or both?
>>
>>49215812
TotM all day for most games. I have maps they can access, but my players tend to devolve into boardgame mentality when the pogs and grids come out.

They seem to get more creative when the room description is more in their heads and I certainly have more fun playing against their plans that way.
>>
>>49215741
Oh, pardon, I thought you were saying level 9 spells there. My mistake.

Although, I must ask, have you ever found any spell in the warlock's repertoire that you want to cast that many times?
>>
>>49215560
>Although I must argue that most plots in FR do also stem or somehow develop from godly or otherwise otherworldly intervention.

For better or for worse, that largely came about due to the Avatar War thing.
It's definitely true, but a lot of the setting itself rather then revolving around the actions of some powerful demon or deity much more often hinges on the actions of a mortal, though quite often said mortal is a powerful Wizard of sorts.

Though on occasion you get a super-powerful paladin killing massively powerful witches, then killing Tiamat, then killing Orcus.
>>
Reposting for the guy who was asking about clerics.
For Death cleric, I think a huge amount of the character comes from the Necromancy Cantrip and Reaper. However due to your choices being Chill Touch or Spare the Dying, you're kinda shit out of luck. Best option is speak to your GM about if you can create a "Homebrew" cantrip since your options are pretty weak, the Death Cleric that I played with did this and used a Necromancy version of Thorn whip, ranged attack does necrotic damage then pulls the creature 10ft closer, adding the chance to pull two guys with reaper gave the Cleric something fun, unique and thematic to do.

Guidance is great, since 8/10 times it's a free +1d4 to every skill check in your party. Assuming the GM isn't a cuck about it and ideally he lets you just say "Does Guidance apply to that roll?" Resistance is pretty trash since you don't always know when you're going to need to make a save out of combat and eating your concentration in combat is trash.

For clerics, I prefer Healing Word over Touch, due to the nature of death saving throws aside from instant death, being at 5hp in most fights is the same as being at 15, you're still down if something beefy hits you. Since it is ranged you don't have to worry about getting to them before they bleed out and it only taking a bonus action means you don't miss out on your turn because you had to heal.

As for combat in general, remember it's really not entirely your place to shine. You're okay at combat but not going to keep up with the Martial, and your casting is more support so you won't be too flashy like the Wizard. However some spells like Guardians of Faith really bring damage and your Divinity can do heavy damage to one guy but mostly you're just going to be helping everyone else do their job better. Do your own thing and throw out a healing word if someone goes down, it's rare that you need better combat healing since you just need to keep everyone alive long enough to take a short rest.
>>
Does anyone have the statline for the Hulking Crab from Storm Kings? I'm playing a Coastal themed druid in a seafaring campaign so this thing gets my dick hard.
>>
>>49215859
While a single spell would be hard to make use of throughout the day, with a shop set up for it most could be useful. Scrying, Dream, occasionally Contact Other Plane, Dimension Door (500 ft. teleportation, even if it's only twice at a time), Banishment (mostly for spirits), Dispel Magic, Tongues, Remove Curse etc. Idk if it's an issue, it just seems like the money you could earn from this would be balanced around wizards and such, while warlocks get way more slots per day when you don't have anything else to do.
>>
>>49215859
Scrying, Bestow Curse, Remove Curse.

Boom, get yourself a cheap crystal ball and you're now the crazy fortune teller.
>>
>>49216044
The question doesn't lie within the fact that can you cast scrying 30+ times a day, it's where on earth are you going to set up shop that will get 30+ people come to you every day, all willing to pay to the note of a years wages for a scrying spell.
>>
>>49215659
You beautiful motherfucker.
>>
>>49216129
The focus isn't consumed, so it's a one time investment to set up the shop in the first place. And most settings have large cities, where a semi-reliable fortuneteller would be quite useful for several people a day. You'd just need to wait a bit if you came then during rush hour or whatever.
>>
>>49216055
>>49216044
Taking into consideration you have those spells instead of something else that would help during the actual adventure. But sure.
>>
>>49216484
You wouldn't have all of them, it just depends on the character, location, setting, downtime expectations etc. Just a few would be enough, even just Scrying could work.
>>
>>49215812

Theatre of the Mind, all day. 4e made me hate grids and minis and I loved grids and minis.
>>
>>49216603
You can do a battlemap and expedite gameplay and movement. *Full* ToM for combat isn't very engaging imo. At least having pennies on a table for relative positions lets everyone be on the same page.
>>
>>49215812
I can do either/or, but since I use Roll20 I tend to prefer maps for battles. Especially since I started streaming my games.
>>
>>49216649

Depends on the table. My college buddies rather go full theatre of the mind while the table at my home with the siblings like their minis and grids.
>>
>>49216026
Second. I hope it's a beast and not a monstrosity or something, polymorph hoe.
>>
>>49216835
I don't like not having a reference. Takes away from the tactical feel quite a lot.
>>
>>49216842
>>49216026
It's a CR 5 huge beast with two claw attacks that deal a ton of bludgeoning damage and each auto-grapple.

Two more pages to scan, then I get to rotate, crop, and OCR the bunch. Expect an upload in an hour tops.
>>
What are some standard moon druid animals to use? Just the bears?
>>
hey gang,

my char died and I'm rerolling as Pally. now I have not rolled stats yet, and I'm about to do skill profs, and my question is: are there are pallys that have rolled as a breastplate wearer with stealth.

I'm thinking no, but does anyone experience of this working well?
>>
>>49214502

As an actor, I think he had a prior commitment that he forgot about, and he expressed a new out, after all, they had a player ready in the wings. you watched LA acting work in action.
>>
>>49216962
well unless your dm is nice to you and allow you to have a enchanted armour that remove the sound it makes hence no disadvantage to stealth I guess no

I mean I tried do the same and and had my pally wear something else when sneaking around
>>
>>49216880
Same here, when everything is measured in feet and have exact areas of effect etc. it feels like you might as well play freeform if you're just going to ignore all that.
>>
>>49216687
Link
>>
>>49216962
dex pally is viable if thats what you really want. doubly so if you can convince your dm to allow ranged smites.
but overall no, if you just want breastplate instead of heavy armor, but stay str, you're just wasting stat points (unless you rolled amazing or something)
more likely, you should find a magical/enchanted gear, or look for a local druid circle and attempt to get nonmetal plate.
breastplate itself though? you're a little too smack dab between heavy, and light armor, to really bother
>>
>>49216904
Cthulu's blessings upon you, friendo.
>>
>>49214156
I'd recommend Dark Sun, but that brings in a whole bunch of other baggage you probably don't want. Maybe Ravenloft, but that might hit the gothic dial a bit too much.
Most of the official DnD settings were created in late 80s/early 90s, with the only outlier created later being Eberron. There's ways to make them work with the dark fantasy world, but I don't think any of them are there by default.
(Greyhawk might be the easiest to fit Warhammer stuff into, given that the demihumans are mostly sidelined, so changing them up doesn't have a bajillion rebound effects on the setting. *Plus* it had a huge war featuring a half-fiendish demigod, a decadent emperor who turns his entire nobility undead, and Nazi monks.)
>>
Anons? I'm curious; since 5e has been really slow on the releasing new crunch part, are there any classes you think actually need to get added to 5e? Or do you think it all can be done by, at most, adding new subclasses to the corebook?

Like, 4e had the Invoker and PF has the Oracle, which are both basically "spontaneous/innate divine spellcasters". Do we need a class like this, or would a Favored Soul revamp for the Sorcerer, perhaps one not trying to add the Cleric's free armor & weapons proficiencies, do the job better?
>>
>>49215742
It's good and fun. Fairly balanced and you can make the op fighter crossbow build with it if you really want to minmax.
>>
>>49216962
our paladin has stripped for stealth on a few occasions, though it almost got him killed when we failed stealth anyways
>>
How do you handle time, DMs? Esp concerning spells. Cause if RAW says each round = 6 seconds, that would mean the caster who uses a ritual version of a spell will have to wait 100 turns to make up the 10 minute cast time to do that shit. Feel rather obtuse but I suppose rituals are more of using them outside of combat but still, I think 6 seconds is to short of time in a round.
>>
>>49217248
i think other than alt magic types (psionics, and even then i guess it could be a shitty sorc if they really wanted to shoehorn it in) it could all, for the most part, be just subclasses. the thing is, alot of the old classes, might fit multiple classes, and end up being a subclass of something you think is retarded
Marshal? well thats obviously fighter, you could MAYBE make a bard argument
Dragon Shaman? well it could be druid, barbarian, bard, hell, you could even argue sorc. so if they do make it a subclass, it could end up being not what you want anyway
>>
>>49216904
You are a god among men, sir.
>>
>>49217248
>Or do you think it all can be done by, at most, adding new subclasses to the corebook?

A lot of the added classes were a needless layer of added complexity for what was functionally either an identical party role with a slightly different execution (healer, caster, hits stuff, buffs party, etc) or just for the sake of fluff.

Making up entire new classes for the sake of fluff is needless clutter; it's like having a hamburger with a lot of good stuff on it but when you bite into it you can't actually taste any one thing because it's all drowned out by all the other ingredients and you're just left with a fatty-ass average tasting burger that took forever to make.
Back in 2e they had Kits with just SLIGHTLY tweaked the class to alter gameplay enough to notice and add fluff but without needing an entirely new set of rules or sourcebooks for it, and now in 5e they have Archetypes doing the same thing.
In addition, they should try to avoid making dozens of archetypes with shitloads of overlap just for the sake of fluff, instead working on each one so it changes the class in distinct ways that others DO NOT do in any way, preserving the originality of each Archetype.

If you NEED entirely new mechanics to roleplay new characters, then you aren't really roleplaying at all; you're using a crutch to help you do something when you already have perfectly functional legs for, which is something WotC tried for a very long time to convince people they NEEDED to do largely so they could keep treating D&D like Magic the Gathering.
>>
>>49217308
Ritual spells are usually done outside of combat in the fights my party does.

Like there's no immediate threat, and someone sits down to ritual detect magic or a healing spell.
>>
>>49217310
I actually struggle with the inclusion of so many varieties of arcane spellcaster too; Sorcerer, Wizard, AND Warlock?
To their credit, Warlock actually feels quite different from Wiz and Sorc, though in some ways I think the Sorcerer is conceptually limited and I think they should have offered up a few more Bloodline types to offeset this.

I never actually felt conflicted about Psionics though because they never even REMOTELY felt like Wizards back in 2e and always had wildly different functionality in the group, though 3e in some ways tried to turn them into just another type of caster.
>>
>>49217431
Coming up with archetypes and metamagics for sorcerers is the easiest thing ever.

If you want to talk about a class that's conceptually limited, you need look no further than druid.
>>
>>49216962
You'd be better served by going full witch hunter; drop the breastplate for studded leather, pump your dex as your combat stat, use a rapier and a crossbow - particularly if you can weasel your way into ranged smites as >>49217202 said.
>>
To the guy that added maps I don't see any in the folder.
>>
>>49217480
Yeah, there's truth to that.
While I've never had a problem coming to with reasons for Druids to adventure, I will agree that there's just not a ton of shit you can do with it by itself.
Maybe something like a an "elemental" Druid that focuses on raw elemental power as opposed to nature but there's not much else.
>>
Any DnD app or site that tracks wealth? My players are able to know when their 1GP turns to 95sp when they buy something that cost 5sp (or was it 4?) when they write it down but I'd like to know if an app exists that tracks/calculate the wealth they have quickly. Anything that speeds up play esp when they are buying stuff is helpful.
>>
>>49217574
crap I meant cp
>>
>>49217574
You get up into the thousands of gold after like 5 sessions anyway, silver and copper aren't really useful to keep track of IMO.
>>
The Storm Kings thunder map file is empty.
>>
File: 1472119941811.jpg (66KB, 646x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1472119941811.jpg
66KB, 646x1024px
>>49217521
>>49217291
>>49217202
>>49217075

Thx gents, I think that i'll resist this urge. second question: is it safe to drop dex as my lowest stat, or should I expect problems?

BTWs I'm roll VHum with RES in Con, for concentration.

Seriously dudes/dudettes, thanks for the input
>>
>>49217949
Totally my bad! I got them via a zip and dropped them into another zip, but clearly they didn't transfer over properly. I got a fresh zip uploaded, try that one.

SKT update: got it fully scanned, rotated, and cropped, running OCR now. OCR is taking forever since I put it off until the end to prevent crashes, so expect it... eventually.
>>
>>49217525
>>49217949
Look in Rulebooks/Supplements.
>>
>>49218001
int would be a better dump, but int, dex, and will arnt massively important to you, but dex and will are both decent saves to have better scores in
i would say int < wil < dex, but dump dex if you really want to
>>
Any good Planescape 5e conversions out there?
>>
>>49218042
>will
im both tired, and slightly tipsy
wis is what i meant
>>
File: pic3165161.png (326KB, 384x505px) Image search: [Google]
pic3165161.png
326KB, 384x505px
Not sure who did the original scan or the reduced version, but they have some things to learn about PDF optimization, not trying to rep on their efforts, just saying...

So here is a new version @ 150DPI with HQ covers, with best as I could get cropping, and bookmarks.

sendspace.com/file/l2egpx
>>
File: hyeong-seop-lim-crusader.jpg (263KB, 1240x1754px) Image search: [Google]
hyeong-seop-lim-crusader.jpg
263KB, 1240x1754px
>>49218042
ok, my first char this campaign was as 6 int barb, so I'm looking to not repeat that char but thanks for the tech advice. my thought, without rolls, is dropping wis. My thought is that perception prof will comp for group checks
>>
And here it is. Enjoy, folks.

https://mega.nz/#!8QETRLDY!EkX_pxs8VpfVvYrBiAowMsYDNgFgIwtpPjkns8x8Dt8
>>
>>49218132
awesome
>>
>>49218103
yeah, any of the three are fine to dump, they arnt used for class abilities or anything, just saves and checks, the same as everyone else.
wis sounds like your best bet in this case
>>
Hey, /5eg/, you guys are great for brainstorming ideas!
This time, I'm making a dungeon for a bunch of level 1 pc's on a brand-spanking new campaign
The catch is that some mad sorceress/wizard summoned a bunch of Mephits to guard her estate, the dungeon!
Since Mephits are (somewhat) intelligent creatures, I think a bunch of fun puzzles and social encounters can occur, like maybe some of the Mephits giving cruel advice about their master's weakness, or maybe just trickster fun.
Any ideas for some fun puzzles involving the elements and the elementals?
>>
>>49218132
You are quite the fellow, Friend Anon.
>>
File: 1447279172867.jpg (152KB, 835x800px) Image search: [Google]
1447279172867.jpg
152KB, 835x800px
>>49218132
>And here it is. Enjoy, folks.

Thanks good sir!
>>
>>49218132
If you notice some weird artifacting on some of the pages, like weird black lines: I've fixed that on my end. Once there's a bookmarked version I'll strip the bookmarks off and the final version will be neat and tidy and all that shit.
>>
File: s-l1700.jpg (234KB, 750x422px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1700.jpg
234KB, 750x422px
Does anyone have a complete list with descriptions and which season they came in for the DMs Rewards Magic Item Certs?

I have Illustrator templates of the certs, I just need the text to fill them.

Note: This is for collection completion, but I guess copies can be freely used now under season 5 rules. And they will be posted when done.
>>
>>49216962
Mithral plate no disadvantage no stealth.
>>
>>49216917
Dire wolf or giant spiders are the best cr1 I think. Giant elk and constrictor for Cr2 for what I know at least, those are what I used.
>>
File: scared osakas.png (139KB, 388x421px) Image search: [Google]
scared osakas.png
139KB, 388x421px
>decide to start streaming one of my groups as an experiment
>the other group I run for immediately asks me to stream their sessions
>and then shortly after the one group I'm a player in asks me to stream THEIR sessions
>>
>>49216904
Can you please post at as image in the thread senpai. Working 14 hours shift and won't get a chance to download until tonight.
>>
File: you're a big crab.png (354KB, 391x653px) Image search: [Google]
you're a big crab.png
354KB, 391x653px
>>49218903
>>
To those who like to DM adventures primarily on improv, what would be the one thing you feel that you just can't improvise on the fly and have to sit back and think over the details?

Mine would be dungeons. I have seen DMs who improv dungeons on the fly like its nothing down to the tiniest detail. Wish I had that much energy like I do with my social encounters.
>>
>>49216962
Mithral full plate costs 1600 to 2000, full plate cost 1500. If you can afford the plate get it mithral for stealth freedom.
>>
>>49218909
Beastly. Hp is z bit low but I guess it does have 17ac. The camouflage ability is weird, why not just give it stealth bonus or that If it remains motionless it is indiscernable from X
>>
File: 442px-Leper.png (297KB, 442x600px) Image search: [Google]
442px-Leper.png
297KB, 442x600px
Anyone want to give any feedback on my homebrew? It's the Darkest Dungeon Heroes as archetypes.

http://homebrewery.naturalcrit.com/share/BJiwr1os
>>
The copy of SKT in the Mega now has bookmarks and some fixes to those weird visual artifacts.
>>
>>49218920
>unironically thinking that's how item price works
>>
>>49215610
There's Acquisitions Inc.
There's Critical Role
There's High Rollers, which I enjoy very much
and there's a whole lot of other podcasts/campaigns
>>
>>49215812
For simple encounters, TotM
For complicated ones, I got a Pathfinder Bigger Basic battlemat
>>
>>49218920
This is 5e kiddo, you can't just buy mithril armor.
>>
>>49215610
LoadingReadyRun's Temple of the Lava Bears is a decent one. Completed already, but it's a good one.
>>
Any ideas for a solo campaign for a level one fighter?
>>
>>49219341
>Solo Campaign
>Level 1
>Fighter
This is a grand opportunity.

Give me 10 minutes, I have a backlog of solo campaign hooks I need to look through.
>>
>>49219027
Abomination looks neat as fuck, but I'd suggest making that damage reduction only work with non-magic damage. Barbarians already reduce a shitload of damage with rage.
>>
>>49219379
Yay, thanks!
>>
What homebrews have you guys incorporated into your games?
>>
>>49213809
So considering that EE player's companion is legal for Storm King's Thunder leagues, how much of a dick the LGS DM will see me as if I roll an bear totem warrior goliath with tavern brawler feat?
>>
>>49219397
Just to check, do you have any other details you can give me about the character?
>>
>>49219431
You'll just be a tank, I don't see a problem with that
>>
>>49219436
Human. He's a farmer but knows how to fight, because his village is constantly raided by bandits, and they have no army, so is the common people who stop them. I don't know what more to tell you. What do you want to know?
>>
>>49218132
oh yeah mah boi
>>
>>49219461
A tank that can lift 2400lbs and use it as an improvised weapon while moving 15 to 20 feet a turn.
>>
Anyone else notice that Storm King's Thunder is the first ever canonical adventure to reference the idea of female dwarf/male human romantic attraction?

I know FR traditionally says that human + dwarf = more dwarves, but still, makes me wonder if maybe we might see an official Mul at some point, especially since 4e set precedent for giving them lore that let you use them outside of Dark Sun.
>>
>>49219481
Wait... Where is that? I missed it in my read through (mind you, I did just get it yesterday).
>>
>>49219478
>AL
Enjoy your 1d4 bludgeoning
>>
>>49219466
That's perfect. Sorry for slow replies.

>Bandit stronghold is an otherwise abandoned highway watch tower a few miles outside the village
>Peasants rally together a small-ish group including fighter to assault the stronghold
>Bandits may be dicking the village, but also are the only thing warding off a local tribe of goblins
>Various wild animals make venturing off the roads to attack goblins on their home turf a bad idea
>>
>>49219495
Appendix D; the character outline for Deputy Sheriff of Bryn Shander, Augrek Brighthelm (female shield dwarf) has "I'm head over heels in love with Sheriff Brighthelm (male Turami human). One day I hope to marry him" as her Flaw.

It doesn't come up in the adventure proper, as far as I've seen in my brief skimthrough, but it stuck out to me, since, y'know, dwarves and humans being attracted to each other has never really been a thing in D&D before - that sort of hook's usually used for elves.
>>
>>49219511
Cool, thank you, but

>Various wild animals make venturing off the roads to attack goblins on their home turf a bad idea

I don't get this last part
>>
>>49219498
Improvised weapons can be counted as whatever they resemble, which is both raw and rai.
>>
>>49219550
What weapon does a 2400lbs anything resemble, RAW?
Pretty stupid gimmick just to have what could charitably be called a greatclub
>>
>>49219543
>Packs of Wolves
>Sounders of Wild Boar
>occasional Giant Boar/Direwolf
Simultaneously the kind of thing goblins would know how to avoid, and the kind of thing a small group of peasants wouldn't want to fuck around with unless they had no other option.
>>
So, the crag cat gives up multiattack for spell turning and nondetection?
Last session I gave my party a Ring of Wildshape (CR1), they're gonna enjoy that
>>
>>49219536
There's also that Turemi human in Triboar who is a lesbian.
>>
>>49219586
Oh, i get it now (shit, i need to improve my english lol). Thank you very mucho!
>>
>>49219630
No worries, glad I could help.
>>
So I'm getting into 5e
What would be the best setting for a traditional, oldschool fantasy? I always liked the japanese approach to western fantasy. Dragon's Crown or Dragon's Dogma were legit great.
Forgotten Realms is not exactly that, from what I see.
I want non-human races, mid to high level monsters and a lot of magic to be, you know, more mystical, exotic even. FR feels similar to TES at times. There's all of that magic and otherworldy shit, but It's fucking everywhere to the point where a lot of It seems "mundane"

Dunno If that makes any sense
>>
>>49219642
>Dragon's Crown
shit taste senpai
>Dragon's Dogma
Now we're talking. Gransys is actually one of my favorite traditional fantasy settings.
>>
>>49219642
Don't like FR? Go for Dragonlance
>>
Hey guys. Running a game for first time roleplayers soon. Wanted to do something interesting that wasn't just goblins, and I stumbled upon the blights and awakened tree. What could I make responsible for their aggression to the local town. Trying to have a cause or big bad linked to it.
>>
>>49219731
Green Hag.
>>
>>49219743
Thanks for the idea. By the sounds of it, that fits really well. I'm just worried that having a CR3 Green hag, and the CR2 Awakened tree in the same adventure for a lvl1 party is a bit much. Should I just lower the tree's hitpoints and such, or?
>>
>>49219758
They could level up before they get to the Hag, or have a long rest and some better gear. Even consumables would help, scrolls or a potion of some kind.
Of course, you don't want the awakened tree and the hag in the same encounter, that'd mean a tpk
>>
>>49219758
Just level them up to 2 after a couple fights then to 3 fairly soon.
They're "tutorial levels" anyway.
>>
>>49219536

This is ridiculous! Sapient beings are not allowed to develop romantic feelings for another due to shared experiences and intimacy unless the female is a sexy chick!
>>
>>49219743
>>49219758
Looked at the invisible passage and illousary appearance abilities. I think it'd be cool to have them find her with a stolen girl, preparing to sacrifice her or something. Then to mask her escape by triggering the awakened tree. That leads to a cool boss and a recurring villain.
>>
>>49219777
>>49219780
Yeah I was worried about killing them with the tree itself desu. Depending on how the players decide to act, I may have them attacked by blights, when they venture into the woods, or perhaps they see a dark figure leaving the village at night or something. Then follow it and have it subsequently disappear as the players find themselves surrounded by twigblights and the like. Perhaps even a few giant spiders.

How many combat encounters is too many desu? Should I mix in some forest based encounter, like crossing a river, or a ravine or something?
>>
>>49219805
Just give them a potion of healing and they're golden, and if they make a good argument for getting a short rest, let them
As long as the party outnumbers the enemies in any given encounter, it won't be too hard if they play smart
>>
>>49219558
Trees or stalagmites, for example. I forgot if rulings for giant weapons exist in 5e but I will check. Also somebody 2400lbs of pull/push force can easily improvise melee combat outside of unarmed strikes, to DM's discretion. Oh, and grappling huge creatures under enlarge spell without breaking a sweat sounds great to me.
>>
>>49219805
You can always nerf or buff enemies on the spot if it turns out to be too hard, you're the DM after all.
Three or four medium encounters per long rest won't be too much, especially if they have a healer, or a bard with song of rest
>>
>>49219848
No matter how much you can lift or carry, you can't wield something too big as a weapon properly
If it was all about being strong enough, nobody would play DEX characters
>>
>>49217263
What OP crossbow build? Monster hunter looks less useful than the other archetypes...
>>
>>49219872
Why are you so aggressive about me having fun?
>>
>>49220000
Because it's obvious you want to pick up adult dragons and throw them at other dragons for infinite damage
I have a goliath bear totem barbarian in my party, and they have never tried to get so much cheese out of their class features. They pick up boulders and throw them, but you want to pick up cars
>>
>>49220035
>They pick up boulders and throw them, but you want to pick up cars

There are literally zero differences between a boulder and a car.
>>
>>49220048
you clearly aren't an engineer
>>
>>49220048
You wouldn't download a boulder.
>>
>>49220081
I would. The pioneers used to ride those babies for miles.
>>
>>49220048
Rock. Ranged Weapon Attack: +12 to hit, range 60/240 ft., one
target . Hit: 30 (4d10 + 8) bludgeoning damage.
That's a rock thrown by a cloud giant, who has 27 Strength.
I let the goliath throw a rock for 2d8+STR, with a range of 20/60
If you took the time to calculate exactly how much you can lift, I'm guessing you won't be throwing 2d8 rocks
>>
>>49220048
>There are literally zero differences between a boulder and a car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTOwMeimSl4
>>
>>49219216
Uncommon magic item costs 100 to 500. Full plate costs 1500. I imagine you thought I was some faggot who tried to say mithral plate costs 100-500 but it would be 5eg if we didn't have autists who refuse to read. I don't have the image on my phone if someone else would care to provide.
>>
>>49219858
Schweet, So I don't know how 5e sets up it's encounter difficulty. Medium is 'equal' right? Like CR 1 to party average level 1, right?
>>
>>49220137
Yes, a party of four level 1 characters vs 1 CR1 enemy. That's a "medium" encounter, but it's gonna be piss easy.
A in the opening SKT adventure there's an encounter against 3 to 6 goblins and 2 worgs at the same time, and that's considered dangerous.
Look through adventure encounters to see the difficulties, and plan accordingly
Also, the CR calculations never take into account any items the party has or doesn't have. A fighter who gets full plate at 1st level is much stronger than a fighter in chainmail, but the CR calculations don't take player equipment into account
>>
>>49220048
Uh oh, I found that under the effect of enlarge spell you could theoretically wrestle a weapon from a giant with its scaling remaining as multiple dice instead of +1d4 of enlarge.
>>
>>49219278
Well you can. The rules are there. You need the downtime to find a trader who has or can make it, then pay the sum of 1600 to 2000. Just like you can't just buy breastplate.
>>
>>49220188
>Implying the DM has to price it according to the DMG
Good luck buying a set of mithral full plate for less than 2500 gold
Normal full plate doesn't even have to cost 1500, a merchant might say it's 2000 on it's own
>>
>>49220178
That is obvious, but ultimately the same applies to everything. Good luck finding a blacksmith who can custom build regular full plate on demand who is avaliable. Good luck finding a decent breastplate if your in bum fuck village rural township.
>>
>>49220208
This comes one hundred percent down to the Gm. Your entire point is invalid because a Gmail could say No mithral armour is only for Elven kings so costs 30,000. He could say good thing this town has Bjornson and sons blacksmiths, the locally famous Dwarf mithral worker who offers you the suit for 200gp and a kiss on the cheek. He could say You have tool prof in blacksmithing yeah?
>>
>>49219858
>>49219827
Ok that sorts the combat encounters pretty much. What're some other encounters I can put in so it's not just combat? Like should I have the hag's 'lair' inside a dungeon or should I work this primarily outdoors?
>>
>>49220287
It could be both. Hag could simply have her hut somewhere in the forest, and the players need to find it first, then it could have some basement of cavern under it, or something
>>
>>49219784
>implying shortstack dwarven women can't be beautiful
>>
>>49216009
Why do you imply Chill Touch is a shit option? It has 120 ft range, deals a rarely resisted damage type, has a rider against undead, and shuts off healing lile troll regen that normally requires other damage types.
>>
>>49220334
Because munchkins only think about high numbers.
>>
>>49220035
picking up a dragon and throwing it at another dragon sounds fucking awesome and I would high five any player that tried it
>>
>>49220436
t. 12 year old 1st time player
>>
>>49219784
I'd put my human penis in that dwarf's vagina desu
>>
File: 1468283844769.png (2MB, 1280x1010px) Image search: [Google]
1468283844769.png
2MB, 1280x1010px
>>49220484
>Martial with race and class features designed for maximum fantastical carry weight
>"1d4 damage boulder/statue/dragon"
>Wizard spends a single spell selection and slot
>"Animate 2 boulders that you can throw as a bonus action for 2d10+2 each!"
>>
Would homebrewing a spell approximately equal to Animate Dead that didn't have the trappings of PURE EVIL be in poor taste?
Like, 50-100 gold in materials to create a minor golem/puppet?
>>
>>49220577
You can just copy Animate Dead, and the stats and everything, and just say it's not necromancy but conjuration, and make it create some golems made out of clay or shit, yeah
>>
>>49220577
For what purpose? I like that the schools of magic are noticeably different and Animate Dead works differently from other spells like Animate Objects and Conjure Woodland Beings. If you want a bunch of friends for one fight, you have other options, but if you want a growing army of permanent thralls with a chance of going rogue and eating the nearest person, you may be tempted by the lure of necromancy. If you can do exactly the same thing as Animate Dead without the moral hazard, that makes Animate Dead kind of pointless.
>>
>>49220595
That seems a bit cheesy to me. I feel like it'd be straight up better if it summoned the same thing exactly for no cost. I'd want to balance it somehow if it were socially acceptable, not EVIIIIIL, and was a construct as opposed to undead. A gold cost might be the most equitable way, and give a reason why a necromancer would rather pay someone a gold piece to loot a corpse or skeleton for them than 50 to make their 'kosher' minion.
>>
>>49214685
I think it was scripted so Hardwick could leave and Posehn could come on.
>>
>>49220615
Gold is not really a good limiting factor because 5e characters don't have a lot of ways to spend their gold anyway
>>
>>49220539
The potential for abuse of the former is too much. They couldn't possibly account for all the things one could throw for literally every single action and if it did real damage someone might roll something other than a caster.
>>
>>49214758
Two things, to clarify. Matt gave the trap both a Dex save AND an attack roll, to give PCs 2 chances to escape it. Unfortunately, it backfired with a crit from a 4d10 damage trap. Besides, Matt did the math wrong (he rules crits do double damage before adding modifiers, instead of double the dice), he rolled 28, which doubled is 56.
>>
>>49220674
Henchmen, hirelings, houses, goods for keeping their henchmen and hirelings fit, full and focused on their jobs, trade investments into good caravans and companies, political bribes, contract laborers to build fortifications, bribes to get people to spread the word of the [Company Name] and how they've been doing such a badass job of being adventurers and getting a steady supply of good men to go about righting smaller wrongs while the bosses go do the hardest shit...

I have no fucking clue what you're talking about. The gold always circulates.
>>
Optimization be damned, I want the flashiest non-caster build there is, preference for weapon diversity.
>>
>>49220787
Dex-based Battlemaster Fighter or Monk. Or multiclass for both, could be fun.
>>
>>49217235
Found a repo with the 2E Greyhawk books, will start from there on. Thanks!
>>
>>49217263
Speaking of this: How do you go about getting the most about a heavy crossbow focused build?
>>
File: 1428300525673.jpg (70KB, 600x776px) Image search: [Google]
1428300525673.jpg
70KB, 600x776px
>>49220849
Well, Heavy Crossbow is the biggest damage die that a rogue can use and still get sneak attack, barring magic longswords with finesse. They also benefit from not caring about the loading property since they make only one attack per turn.
For fighters/rangers, once you get Crossbow Expert (which you'll need to make more than one attack each turn) you'll actually be better off with a hand crossbow a lot of the time, assuming you stay at close range. You lose 2 average damage per shot, but you get an entire extra shot if you use your bonus action. The strength of this explodes once you add Sharpshooter, giving you full use of that 120 foot long distance range and a chance at +10 damage for every shot, including your extra.
So basically heavy is better for rogue (but you've gotta sink a level or feat to get it as one) and not quite as good for fighter/ranger unless you really want to stay at long range.
>>
>>49220903
Operator-anon from last thread. Was thinking of going Ranger Variant / Rogue, or strictly Battlemaster to get as many shots from heavy Crossbow as possible, switching to hand crossbow in the off-chance of getting into closer range.
>>
>>49218132
Thanks anon.
>>
Is there a good online fillable character sheet or something so I can quickly generate different builds and compare / contrast features and stats and bonuses? Trying to decide on a couple different routes to go with creating a new character.
>>
>>
>>49219731
bullywugs with poisoned spears & blowpipes could be neat.

you don't even need to make the poison deadly, make them fall asleep or trip balls.
>>
>>49220903
Entertainer background variant gives one free weapon proficiency.
>>
>>49221052
Incorrect, it can give you a weapon, but not proficiency.
>>
>>49220539
Any GM that makes the body of a large sized or bigger dragon only do 1d4 damage is a faggot and hippocrit.

There are creatures in the MM that throw boulders that deal somthing like 3d10 damage and there is precident for larger weapons dealing more dice of damage (large greataxe deals 2d12 for example). I think even improvised weapons say it can deal more damage at GM disgression.

Personally in my game id let the medium boulder deal 1d10 and increase from there but impose disadvantage / str reqs.
>>
>>49221088
Does it not? That sucks, it was the only way I got whip proficiency on my rogue without wasting a feat or wasting a level.
>>
>>49221135
I asked my DM if I could trade shortsword for whip proficiency. Not a big deal.
>>
>>49221088
So a gladiator can have a weapon, but not know how to use it, but hey he can play the bagpipes. If he had a set that is.
>>
>>49221150
>Gladiator whose whole schtick was that he had no idea how to fight but could play music really well
>Lovable coward type

I could dig it. Gladiators were basically pro wrestlers.
>>
>>49221376
This is one of those times where it's great to play a Bard as someone who hasn't actually been trained in magic and is just supernaturally lucky.
>>
>>49221478
This is one of the many instances where I'm always disappointed with the D&D bard, or the shortcomings of the vancian magic system in general.
>>
>>49218132
Sweet. Thanks dude.
>>
>>49219027
It's not perfect, but it is good. Leper is the one I feel is a flavor mismatch. The leper in the game is a Paladin, and the backstory comic heavily leans on that.

The antiquarian is completely broken. They should not be able to just find magic items at level 6, there are plenty of valuable that are not magic item equivalent.

Arbalest is forced into ranger, it would be better to say it works best as the spell-less ranger variant which is gets best into.

Bounty hunter is all above forced movement and sunning on top of damage. You seem to have made the archetype more based on the bounty hunter name than the class and it is both dull and too strong.

For Zealous I'd make stand tall return on a short rest, and holy lance is too all or nothing since zealous accusation is an attack already. Maybe make holy lance able to bonus action attack at the end of a dash for 1 minute?

Grave robber should use war pick (mustoc) as a finesse weapon.

Hellion should have adrenaline rush should be rolling weapon damage again, worded like bugbears in the MM. Iron Swan should increase attack range 5ft as a bonus action.

Highwayman's pistol and blade is really boring and basically a feat and firearm proficiency is by DM pervue anyways. It would be better to add the scouting/watchful stuff they have in the game. I'd go in a different direction for the rest (grapeshot dealing 1d4 damage and allowing sneak attack on one target, tracking shot forgoing sneak attack damage to allow advantage, etc) but it's fine.

Jester isn't very thematic aside from the name.

Plague Doctor is great. It might be strong but I like it a lot.
>>
File: 1472187018337.gif (693KB, 339x279px) Image search: [Google]
1472187018337.gif
693KB, 339x279px
>>49218132
>all those nigger npcs in the back
wew
>>
>>49213885
Literally that guy whenever he's on stage

Also fuck, where can I watch the AI game from monday?
>>
File: nigger.jpg (162KB, 1180x428px) Image search: [Google]
nigger.jpg
162KB, 1180x428px
>>
File: 172126.jpg (85KB, 750x959px) Image search: [Google]
172126.jpg
85KB, 750x959px
>>49218132
have a green girl
>>
So anything good released in the realm of 3rd party products? Currently looking for something to spice up my game and my players are looking for some new subclasses to play with.
>>
>>49221789
>expecting anything else from Storm KANGZ Thunder
>>
>>49218132
if i had money i would give you "about threee fitty"
>>
File: AnonDelivers.jpg (10KB, 251x227px) Image search: [Google]
AnonDelivers.jpg
10KB, 251x227px
>>49218132
You've done God's work, Anon.
>>
>>49221865
Just port classes from some other systems
>>
>>49221789
>comfy thread
>/pol/ shows up
here's your obligatory response, fuck off now that you've gotten attention from a human being this week
>>
>>49219642
>There's all of that magic and otherworldy shit, but It's fucking everywhere to the point where a lot of It seems "mundane"

That's a misconception brought on largely by 3e and all of it's inherent problems (namely that magic items HAD to be purchasable).
It is said over and over again in EVERY core campaign book for Forgetten Realms that magic is precious and valuable in Faerun; most regular peasant folk will likely not run into a mage, though they might have been healed from something basic by their local priest (who would be a very low level most of the time).
The homes of the VERY wealthy (like those rich as fuck nobles of Waterdeep) have cheap magical items more regularly, but they're usually not much better then light spells at best.
Magic items were FAR more common in earlier ages with the great magically-powered human empires, and the two books that were released about that time reflect this rules-wise.

Reinforcing this is that the books about Calimshan, the wealthy nation to the south, is unusual for a modern Faerunian nation in that it has a LOT of low-level magic compared to the North and the Sword Coast, as it's empire decliner to a much smaller size but never truly completely collapsed so they lost a lot less of their magical manufacturing power base, so to speak.

The goddamn rules of the game have always been shitting over what the actual fluff SAYS for several editions.
>>
File: image.jpg (102KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
102KB, 960x540px
>>49219784
Dwarves can be cute now.
Women dwarves not having bears automatically has been a thing since 3e.
They'd certainly be short though.
>>
File: image.jpg (155KB, 900x1238px)
image.jpg
155KB, 900x1238px
>>49220319
Honestly, the way a dwarf is built (short body, stocky build) wouldn't look half bad as long as the species had sexual diamorphism; they'd kinda have bigger hips then the average human of comparable size (due to being squished down and needing to birth broader dwarven babies) and bigger boobs with LOTS of hair on their head (female version of beards if you include sexual diamorphism; lack of thick body hair on women but thick hair as a species trait means thick manes of hair on head.)
She'd still probably weigh a shitload though and there'd likely be nothing "soft" about a female dwarf's body due to dwarves weighing nearly as much as humans; a female dwarf would be solid-packed with muscle and holding one would be like holding a curvy brick.
>>
>>49222173
They still have beards in our game. The race is no fun otherwise.
>>
File: LEWD.gif (692KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
LEWD.gif
692KB, 500x281px
>>49222248
Basically best traits of a shortstack and amazon rolled into one.
>>
>>49218132
>>49218132
thank you, anon
>>
>>49218132
You have joined the ranks of those blessed few anon.
>>
>>49222283
It's good for a joke, but it comes from Tolkien and was originally added in because Tolkien hated talking about sex due to his strong Christian beliefs.

For example, did you know Tolkien's elves literally instantly die if you try to have premarital sex with them?
Not making this up.
>>49222295
If you're into shortstacks and amazons.
I once made the joke that a dwarf woman riding you (which she'd have to just out of physical limitations) as a human would be like taking a granite block, drilling a hole in it for a fleshlight, sticking your dick in it, and slamming it up and down while a vice crushes your thighs and ribs.
>>
>>49222388
>For example, did you know Tolkien's elves literally instantly die if you try to have premarital sex with them?

What? Jesus Christ, why?
>>
>>49222406
Tolkien's elves consider sex and marriage the same thing according to the Professor himself, and it's always done for procreation purposes. This is apparently a literal racial trait, not a cultural one, common among all elves.
Thus any attempt to have sex with one before marriage would need to be rape. Professor Tolkien also said that it is effectively impossible to rape an elf because "the link between their body and soul is strong" that such an action would kill them from despair and grief.

Tolkien was a lot of things, one of them being an English Christian conservative born before the 1900's even hit, with all of the cultural baggage that implies.

What I'm trying to say is that don't need to do EVERYTHING because Tolkien did it, bearded women dwarves included, especially since you are already going way outside what he felt was appropriate if any character has premarital sex of any race at all.
>>
How does one handle one-on-one combat in 5e without making it boring or hilariously one-sided? Think a duel or something.
>>
>>49222493
It's tricky.
You'd have to focus on using the environment at lot.
>>
I'm working on the first enforced encounter of an upcoming adventure, /tg/.

Two players. Level 8.

They're in a city like Waterdeep and will be heading down to the crappy part of the shore where all the tossed junk and wrecked ship debris washes up.

What kinda creatures could I have lurking here?
>>
>>49222512
Take a giant crab from SKT, throw a few of them at them. Enjoy
>>
File: image.jpg (224KB, 800x582px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
224KB, 800x582px
>>49222512
>They're in a city like Waterdeep and will be heading down to the crappy part of the shore where all the tossed junk and wrecked ship debris washes up.

The Rat Hills are actually a canonical thing in the setting; north of the city in the ocean shallows, just outside the walls they tow ALL the wreckage and garbage and much of the sewage seeps there too, lying in water that's about as deep as mid-calf, all of it filled with huge mounds of debris and garbage and filth.

It smells AWFUL there, and lots of horrid creatures congregate to feed of garbage; giant rats, huge insects, and then supernatural shit like zombies (corpses that get washed down to the shallows after being slain near water) and otyughs (those huge tentacled garbage-eating mobsters).

You want a memorable encounter?
Have them fight some sea-bloated zombies at first near a like of garbage, then have the pile of garbage EXPLODE and a otyugh comes out of it and then they have to fight the bloated zombies AND the smelly carrion-eating abomination.
>>
>>49222567
That'd be cool. I imagine some really old ones with like wooden boards sticking from their scarred shells and lots of seaweed. Maybe bones and valuable gems embedded too.

What's SKT?
>>
Accidentally used the city Luskan without knowing what it was about, how it works etc. aside from the map.

Now one of my players has done all kinds of research (via SCAG).

What do?
>>
>>49222611
Storm King's Thunder, the new book.
>>49218909 has the stat block
>>
>>49222622
I can help you kick his ass with even MORE research if you want?
>>
>>49222512
The two players find several butchered scavengers, the sand and shingle was soaked in blood but the tide has smeared and washed it down the beach, a large broken urn found amongst the bodies, the breaking of the urn unleashed two/three water weirds into the nearby water, the water weirds in question chomp and mash up anything organic that hits the water.

To tempt the players into the brine you could have a mast sticking out of the ground slightly off shore (chest high water due to low tide), and on the mast is something they'll 100% go for, or take a flying creature snatch something from them and take refuge/drop the thing on the mast.

A way for them to discover the location of the weirds would be for them to throw bodyparts into the water causing the creatures to attack the lifeless flesh, thus giving the players a window to attack.
>>
>>49215812

TotM if you can, grid if you must. And at times you will have to.

If you've got one PC grappling a bear, one PC hitting it, and two more shooting at it there's no reason to go grid. You'll have more fun and tell a better story narrating everything to each other. If you've got a BM Ranger setting up an archer Rogue while 12 goblins try to collect a bounty for killing the Wizard specifically while the Sentinel Fighter tries to protect her, though, you're life is going to be much easier if there's one clear display of where everyone is that everyone can consult.
>>
>>49222648
Sure thing.
>>
>>49222512
A large ambush of saltwater bullywugs clad in Flotsam armour that use poison and have rusty weapons that inflict disease.
>>
>>49222688
Okay, first read the Luskan entry in the SCAG, that will get you up to date on who rules the city and their current names.

Then download this and read the section on Lusken and use your knowledge of details that later editions to surprise him. Change names when appropriate to the modern High Captains to reflect the time gap between these books and the SCAG.
https://www.4shared.com/office/EV2E6jYZce/The_North.html
And if you want to go EVEN FURTHER, read this for things like particularly dangerous alleys and places to eat and stay in Luskan as well as what they serve for food.
https://www.4shared.com/office/cTgcm2A4ce/Volos_Guide_to_the_North.html

It sounds like a lot, but as long as your reading surpasses the 8th Grade level then it shouldn't take you more then an hour or so to know more then your player does and hopefully get some good ideas for the adventures in the city too.
>>
File: image.jpg (245KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
245KB, 1920x1080px
>>49222512
Drowners
>>
>>49222893
That was obviously my first choice, but they're all witcherfags so I'll opt to use a combination of the suggestions above and tailor it to the theme of the adventure.
>>
>>49222893

How can we homebrew group-style as an Action?
>>
>>49222622
Syudy it yourself. Then if your player complains about an inconsistency, say "yes, that does seem odd, doesn't it?" Make everything seem intentional. Never under any circumstances let the player correct you.

Luskan's pretty rough around the edges, if I recall. Its justice system employs several ogres who carry out tortures and public executions
>>
>>49214688

People define high and low fantasy differently, but it's sometimes confused with high magic and low(er) magic.

High fantasy typically takes place in its own world, with its own rules and creatures and lands. So LOTR, any D&D setting, ASOIAF, they'd all be high fantasy.

Low fantasy typically takes place in an augmented real world, where the magical elements are an explicit break from the normal rules of the world. So something like the recent Pete's Dragon movie (fire-breathing Dragons in the otherwise-normal Pacific Northwest).

Harry Potter contains elements of low fantasy to begin with but crosses into high fantasy as the series takes place more wholly in the wizarding world.
>>
>>49220048
I mean I can think of at least a couple.
>>
Did anyone get the Adventure in Middle-Earth guide from Cubicle 7?
If so, any kind anon that would upload the PDF would be nice
>>
>>49223211
>Luskan's pretty rough around the edges, if I recall.
It's a pirate city run by a tower of evil wizards if the pirates had a mix of both regular Golden Age of piracy traits and Viking raider traits.

It's basically the shittiest city in the North and gets along horribly with it's neighbors.
>>
File: Beaupied.jpg (14KB, 256x256px) Image search: [Google]
Beaupied.jpg
14KB, 256x256px
One of my players wants to play a Pugilist.

Everyone says the homebrew class is good. I read through it and I immediately knew it's pretty fucking bad, both in terms of balancing and in "player satisfaction".

So instead I made him roll a Battlemaster and gave him the following Fighting Style:

> Fighting Style: Pugilist
You gain proficiency with unarmed strikes and improvised weapons used at melee range. While you are not wearing a shield, your damage with unarmed strikes starts at 1d6 and follows the same progression as your superiority dice.
(lv3 -> d8s, lv10 -> d10, lv18 -> d12s)

Additionally, whenever you make a melee unarmed attack on a creature, you can use your bonus action to grapple it.

Any thoughts?
>>
DMing Lost Mines for a table of newbies.

So far, so good but I want to make them feel their decisions matter. Like it has been three days since they arrived in Phandalin. They have ran into the Redbrands and now preparing to assault Redbrand Hideout. Now they haven't even stepped a foot into Cragmaw Hideout or even took a peek wt the Goblin Trail. Should I kill off Sildar when they decide to go to Cragmaw? Maybe show signs that he was alive a few hours ago to give them an idea if they went earlier they could have saved him. Is it too harsh for the newbies? I think they are ready for it since they have done some stuff they feel that might bite them in the ass later (they allowed a Redbrand to run instead of killing him and to tell Glasstaff that they are coming for them so I have been making a Redbrand group of 2-3 attack them every 6 hours while they are in Phandalin.)
>>
>>49218004
Bless you, kind sir
>>
>>49223317
>You gain all the extra attacks and maneuvers a Battlemaster gets
>You gain unarmed strike, which is flat out stronger than monk's unarmed strike, and works while armored
Are you fucking dense?
>>
>>49223317
You thought the homebrew was dumb / bad (even though the opposite is widely agreed upon), and then you frontloaded the fighter with a bunch of bonuses.
>>
Running CoS tonight. The party will probably, finally, get to Castle Ravenloft tonight.

I just know somebody will run for the door, and I'm grinning like a madman waiting to drop eight gargoyles and four young dragons on them.
>>
>>49223317
Have the dice for unarmed damage start lower, like a Monk's.
>>
>>49223372
Don't grin.
Gives it away.
>>
>>49223386
I'll be sure to wipe the smirk off my face before game time, don't worry.
>>
>>49223366
>>49223374
A monk can use his bonus action, attacking twice, applying his dex twice on damage and attack rolls.
A monk gains a widely different set of skills, plus mobility.

I aim for something simple, and superiority die progression is already there. Following monk progression would make for a pretty weird fighting style.

>>49223371
Have you read through it? Because anyone saying the homebrew is good is a fucking moron. Read how you can regen moxie points, it's fucking stupid.

It's also thematically absolute shit. What the fuck is a moxie point? How the fuck can they do exactly the same thing as Monks, but without any reason behind it? Ugh.
>>
>>49215610
Web DM is good, Matt Colville's good, that series with Hardwick and Mercer was good
>>
>>49223331
Punish those niggers. My party skipped the bugbear, almost got wiped by the redbrands and barely survived the encounter. They're stupid if they think goblins won't be sent by klarg to reinforce the redbrands hideout
>>
>>49223461
They regain them because MOXIE!~!
I think your fighting style would be fine if you removed the 'grapple as bonus action' part. Just let them take Tavern Brawler and have the 1d4 unarmed part invalidated, it's still considerable with +1 Str/Con and the bonus grapple, not to mention improvised bonus.
>>
File: smart orc.jpg (32KB, 280x280px) Image search: [Google]
smart orc.jpg
32KB, 280x280px
>>49215659
well done, son... well done
>>
>>49223492
Except when he mentions he is "og reddit" or some shit like that.

I've been watching critical role and am on like episode 60ish. They have started having 1 on 1 conversations with dieties.

I want to make a paladin that is bro with his deity, how do I go about this. Not like, HEY MAN HELP ME MOVE MY COUCH bro, but like I want to meme with my deity in a private way during the session.
>>
>>49223461
If you're gonna disregard people who tell you you've made something OP when you make something OP, then don't post it and ask for opinions
>>
>>49215610
Nerd Poker is great
>>
>>49223555
I'm trying to defend and explain how I thought this is OK. I'm not saying you guys don't have a point, I'm trying to make my position clearer because maybe you guys forgot about how monk attacks work.

If you're asking me to blindly trust in the judgment of people that can read this PDF and say "wow, this is a good homebrew"... I'm not gonna.

But I'm pretty sure we can still have a good and constructive conversation about this fighting style.

>>49223508
Yeah, you're probably right. The bonus action part was merely there to pin down the "pugilist" style, but it probably is a bit too much.
>>
>>49223461
>>49223508
Just because you don't understand the idea of moxie doesn't mean it's bad. It has just as much *clout* as ki points.
>>
>>49223331
You were meant to guide them back to cragmaw if they arrived at town without it. Remind them they are looking for Gundren and to a lesser extent Sildar
Maybe have one of the townsfolk bring in a goblin they caught who mentions they have Sildar? Even better if he insists that he is an important goblin and his friends will trade the hostage for him. (They won't )
>>
>>49215610
Acquisitions Inc

they just came out with a series as well
>>
Stupid question. Does two-weapon fighting (the ability to attack with an off-hand light weapon, not the Fighter's thing) work with throwing daggers, so my rogue could throw two daggers, one as an attack, and one as a bonus action offhand attack...?
>>
>>49223605
Main thing is, monks get three attack a turn which use up their action and bonus action. Fighter will get four attack, with only their action, and their die is higher too.
Dumb it down to the Monk die or it's too powerful, whatever you might think. I'd even keep it at a d8 maximum
>>
>>49223611
> Pugilists unconsciously tap into their own inner strength in the form of an energy called moxie. This is not an esoteric or mystical energy that flows through the multiverse but the result of determination forged over a lifetime of hardship and a never-let-die attitude.
> You can teach someone how to fght but you could never teach someone how to be a pugilist. The secret of mastering moxie doesn’t come from disciplined study or rigorous training, it comes from years of wanting and needing.
> Using this energy, pugilists can withstand attacks that would down lesser heroes and hit harder and faster than their armed opponents.

Yeah. It's pretty bad.
>>
>>49223644
Yeah you can, just don't lose your daggers.

And it's a fighting style not a fighter thing. Paladin's and Ranger's get it too.
>>
>>49223659
I think your comparison is unfair. That's the thing.
Assuming the monk is using a two-handed quarterstaff:

>LV1:
Monk has 2 attacks for d8+d4+2dex
Fighter(Pugilist) has 1 attack for d4+str

>LV2:
M. has 2 to 3 attacks for d8+d4+2dex or d8+2d4+3dex
F(P). has 1 attack for d4+str

>LV3:
M. has 2 to 3 attacks for d8+d4+2dex or d8+2d4+3dex
F(P). has 1 attack for d4+str+d8 (maneuver)

>LV5:
M. has 3 to 4 attacks for 2d8+d6+3dex or 2d8+2d6+4dex
F(P). has 2 attacks for 2d6+2str+2d8 (maneuvers)

So... Assuming +4 in DEX or STR for both classes:
http://anydice.com/program/94a4

It's hardly in favor of the Pugilist, I'd say.

1st case is Monk
2nd case is Monk + Ki
3rd case is Pugilist
4th case is Pugilist + Maneuvers
>>
>>49223605
I read through the homebrew a while back and as far as I recall the only problem I had with it was the moxie recharge. I would suggest you alter only that.
>>
>>49223611
Ki is something monks learn to manipulate through their training and the nature of their research. The way the Pugilist homebrew presents "moxie" is an arbitrary point system based on being TOUGH ON DA STREETZ.
I'd be fine if someone wanted to play an urban monk who learned their techniques from a more properly trained master, like a Karate Kid setup, and that monk can have as much moxie as he wants, but the reason his attacks are magical and he can stun and push people supernaturally are still ki manipulation, the force in all living things. Not just spunk.
>>
>>49223501

That is interesting. Redbrand hideout would be pretty interesting for them as a challenge. They have been getting crafty with their teamwork so having some more goblins in the area would add to urgency.

>>49223612

Yeah that is the thing, I have made a point via NPCs like Barthen that they need to investigate the ambush site of any sign of Gundren. I even allowed the last goblin alive during Goblin Arrows to run for his life as a breadcrumb to follow him. Additionally, I improvised a backstory that the innkeeper Toblen is Sildar's old drinking buddy from a war's past and upon hearing that Sildar was Gundren's escort and is now MIA as well, he begs the PCs to find him offering a reward or some sort. Yet they still haven't set foot in Cragmaw and now have reason to believe Gundren and Sildar are in Redbrand's hands which led to the future hideout assault.

I don't want to railroad them since seeing the results so far is interesting but still, it was kinda frustrating when they were discussing that they decided not to follow the goblin from earlier cause they felt the goblins were now ready for them and they will prepare for a bigger ambush. I suppose I should be grateful they are taking the dangers seriously but come on!
>>
>>49223836
You can't only alter that without also changing the amount of Moxie Points to make it equal to Ki points (that is to say, to the Pugilist level).

And it's still pretty bad when you consider that the genius of a feature like Street Smart.
> once you have completed a long rest in a city you know all public locations in the city as if you were born and raised there and you cannot be lost by non-magical means while within the city.

Basically, it's a feature that aims to replace a big part of what should be achieved by roleplaying.
I agree with the idea and the theme here, but I think it's mecanically garbage. There is no other class feature that does that.
>>
>>49223896
Well, you could have the plot roll with their punches. If you think it'd be more fun for the whole group, rewrite the module a bit. Have Klarg's whole crew holed up with the Redbrands.
>>
Why do you all have to come up with so many new class ideas when the stuff you want to do could be handled by multiclassing?
>>
>>49223830
>>49223659
OK, I may have forgotten about Action Surge though.
I see your point. Thanks for the feedback!
>>
>>49223924

Now that you mention it, a friend DM suggested to let Sildar escape and be found near-death at the outskirts. He intended that this be a breadcrumb to ultimately lead them to Cragmaw Hideout but with your and that one anon's suggestion on having Klarg and his boys hole up with the Redbrands, it can play with the fact my party has been strongarming every Redbrand they meet and with the warning they declared to Glasstaff, you can imagine Iarno wanting to get the goblins on his side. And maybe have it that during the move out, Sildar was able to slip out and ran for the Phandalin to warn anyone that the goblins are planning something in the town as they are making base here.

Need some tweaking (any suggestions to add to this would be nice) but thanks for the kickstart in the brainstorming, anon!
>>
>>49223961
I don't know. I have a friend who has been obsessed with making new archetypes and classes, when he's literally played 2 sessions of 5e, and comes straight from 3.5.

Everything he makes is ass.

*Shocker*
>>
File: 1419486794151.jpg (210KB, 1280x1352px) Image search: [Google]
1419486794151.jpg
210KB, 1280x1352px
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v3:
https://mega.nz/#F!BUdBDABK!K8WbWPKh6Qi1vZSm4OI2PQ

>Community DMs Guild trove
>Submit to [email protected], cleaning available!
https://mega.nz/#F!UA1BhCBS!Oul1nsYh15qJvCWOD2Wo9w

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b

Previous Edition:
>>49213809

Tell us how your last character died.
>>
>>49224320
I've literally never played a character that died. They all retired, or went off on other adventures and never got played again.

Forever DM reporting in.
>>
>>49224320
I think you fucked up
>>
So in 3.5 it used to be that (for a caster) if you got your spellcasting stat above a certain number (I want to say at least 18) you'd start to get extra spell slots. I want to bring that back, but raise the requirement to 20/22/24/26/28/30 to get you an extra 1st-6th level spell slot.
>>
>>49224423
Congrats. You've come up with an addition that both breaks the intention of the system AND adds flat nothing to it.
>>
>>49224406
Natural 1.
>>
>>49224423
No, the spell slots you get naturally are fine. If you want to add more then make sure to balance out the martials and gishes.
>>
>>49224423
5e is pretty good.
>>
>>49222118

I think a large part of the problem is that the D&D rules don't assume that the PCs are standard citizens of the setting, but are instead extraordinary individuals who spend time and money searching for and obtaining rare treasures. The average adventurer probably carries more magical items than the average noble will ever see in one place otherwise.
>>
>>49215172
presumably there were plans for a Guards series on the BBC, a procedural show save for when they covered a book plot. Terry Pratchett worked with writers to put together a series bible he was comfortable with when someone from BBC said "We'll just do whatever we want" or some such and then Terry withdrew the license.
>>
>>49224475
I'm asking about this idea only because I will be running a one-shot for my group, them playing a group of epic-level adventurers being forced into a fight against a recently reborn God of Chaos, who is "celebrating" his revival by going to nuke the Prime Material Plane for shits and giggles.
>>
Thanks to Stranger Things, I want to incorporate the Demogorgon as the main baddy of my ongoing campaign, without running OOTA.

We're at a really good starting off point, having just completed a major story arc. The group is about to go get their boat and set off on adventure.

How do I make Demogorgon happen?
>>
>>49224573
A demonic cult trying to bring unleash their master of madness on to an unsuspecting world. Pretty standard D&D fare as far as things go.
>>
>>49224320
>Last Character
I got massacred by a giant crab
>Last 5e character
I got turned to stone to prevent me dying after going back in time and defending my ancestor from the infinite dragonflight, which tried to stop him ever founding Daggerford (name is a coincidence)
My body is now part of a statue in the main town square, and bard adventurers revere me as the legendary bard
>>
File: gigglingjiggling.jpg (145KB, 673x680px)
gigglingjiggling.jpg
145KB, 673x680px
>>49224553
>one-shot
>epic-level
You really don't know what you're doing, do you?
>>
Any idea how to randomly generate an NPC wizard's spellbook? Was that a thing in previous editions?
>>
>>49224845
Don't know where I found it. I just found it.
>>
Okay, /5eg/, help me out here.
I'm remaking my character for AL, and decided on a Bard, with a Sorc dip for the AC bonus.
When I get Magical Secrets from lore bard, do I have to pick those spells like i was just a 6th level bard, or do I get to take 4th level spells too, because I'm 7th level?
>>
>>49224845
I mean how hard is it to select like 10-20 cantrips/spells depending on class level?
>>
>>49224913
Not hard at all. I just enjoy randomness!
>>
>>49224903
As if you were able 6th level bard.
>>
>>49224945
Alright, thanks.Was hoping Magical Secrets got around the usual multiclass rules. too bad
>>
Anyone else find it weird that none of the NPCs in any of the published adventures cast like warlocks, even when it would make more sense for them to? They're all clerics, wizards or sorcs.
>>
>>49225086
Not really, no. Spell slots or x/day are easier for caster NPCs, since then they can use their spells properly instead of "oh god, I have 2 casts between these 10 spells, let's just cast the most powerful one and call it a day"
>>
>>49223258
I came here to see if anyone had, i have a friend who'd like some LotR stuff. No dice it looks like.
>>
>>49225274
Some guy's got the PDF and is holding an AMA thread on /r/dndnext, but that's about it for now it seems
>>
>>49224320

Fell from 30 stories after being hit w/ a ballistae
>>
To be fair mate, just play a battlemaster with tavern brawler feat. Maybe as a bonus feat for his fighting style. 1d4 isn't great but it's fine. He is about rule of cool grapples and throws with his BM dice not damage.

Maybe if you really wanted a fighting style, add proficiency to unarmed damage and if you hit unarmed you can shove as bonus. Combine with brawler for 1d4+prof+str+bm dice and grapple or shoves everywhere.
>>
>>49225309
Oh nice. I'll keep an eye on here then, thanks for the info.
>>
Do you think there should be a distinction between a Warlock and a Witch?

I guess you could have a Coven as a "patron" for your warlock. Like every witch in the coven made a vow or something.

Would that make sense? Should it be done as a homebrew patron?
I guess thematically it should give some "shared" additional spell slots, since it's what covens are usually for (see Monsters Manual p.176)
>>
>>49225347
A homebrew patron would work best for a witch, yes.
>>
>>49225347
A coven patron sounds interesting. I imagine one of their features would be some sort of ritual casting, with an addition about cooperative casting (since that's not very likely to come up, but still thematically appropriate.)
>>
>>49225394
>>49225381
Alright then I'll get to work.
I was planning to get decent ideas from http://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/base-classes/witch but then I realised they're pretty much Warlocks in 5E. Hence my question.
>>
>>49224320
Retired from a short time adventuring with profitable rewards and stories to tell once he returns to his job at the town watch as a humble guardsman.

I arrived late to the next session recap with a new guy rolled as the Gm told everyone how my character never made it back to his wife and kids and was stabbed to death leaving the city by thugs. Was it plot relevant? Nope, just because he was one day away from retirement trope.
>>
>>49225480
>taking agency away from your players
literally what the fuck that actually makes me mad
>>
>>49225480
That just seems mean. Don't worry, anon - I'm sure he used it as a cover to make sure nobody came to find him and recruit him for more adventures so he could enjoy his retirement with his family.
>>
>>49213809
I'm looking for a relatively low challenge rating monster that could realistically mind control an NPC. I have 4 players at level 2 and know how I want this encounter to begin but just don't know which monster to use.
>>
File: id.jpg (809KB, 1360x1793px) Image search: [Google]
id.jpg
809KB, 1360x1793px
>>49225887
A ghost or an Intellect Devourer
>>
File: 1429210308517.png (6MB, 1736x2455px)
1429210308517.png
6MB, 1736x2455px
>>49225887
You could always file off the image and just make it a standard beholderkin if you don't think that it'd pan out.
>>
File: 91316.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
91316.pdf
1B, 486x500px
does anyone else dm like this? I write what my players "should" encounter, if not that's cool, I just like having SOMETHING tangible, even if it's a premade like Phandelver.
>>
>>49217075
Did you not read the post you're replying to? He said breastplate, which is a type of medium armor that does not impose disadvantage on stealth.
>>
>>49224618

>tfw no huge-breasted warlock GF
>>
>>49226083
That made me so fucking mad.
>>
>>49226061
Never thought about this, but can you get your int back without the use of magic after it was devoured?
>>
new thread when?
>>
>>49226190
Definitely not in just 1 round. Usually it takes a Greater Restoration spell to restore reduced ability scores. A polymorph effect would be enough to keep the patient alive by replacing their Int score until the 1 round is over.
>>
>>49226190
I think it depends on the DM. Devouring your brain kind of, you know, kills you. I'd rule it can be undone by a Raise Dead spell, some might be hardasses and demand a Resurrection or Wish instead.
>>
>>49225887
A spellcaster of a high enough level to cast Dominate Person wouldn't be a completely impossible challenge for a 2nd-level party, especially if he didn't have much support to cover him. NPC spellcasters cast spells at a level far above their CR.
>>
>>49226133
Neither of those are warlocks.
>>
>>49226061
What are some other good low CR monsters like pic related that aren't just lambs to slaughter (aka gobbos). I like unique abilities like that.
>>
>>49226303
Oh I wasn't talking about the Body Thief ability where your brain gets destroyed.

I was just curious if you can get your normal stats back without magic after they have been reduced. In the case of Devour Intellect the text doesn't go into detail there.
>>
>>49226348
Cockatrices? Specters? There's some nasty shit at CR 2
>>
>>49226341

Sorceress is basically a witch, and the closest thing we've got to the witch is the warlock.
>>
>>49226348
The Gelatinous Cube man
The evil DMs best tool
>>
>>49224924
Fair enough,
>>
>>49223677
What, not a fan of Daredevil?
>>
>>49226228

New thread (I didn't even fuck up)
>>49226483
Thread posts: 374
Thread images: 35

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.