[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

any good rpg's recommendations for both gm and player beginners?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 5

File: 1466564243704.png (80KB, 283x251px) Image search: [Google]
1466564243704.png
80KB, 283x251px
any good rpg's recommendations for both gm and player beginners?
>>
>>49207146
Ryuutama and Apocalypse World.
>>
>>49207146
Beyond the Wall.
>>
fatal

Someone has to say it
>>
>>49207723

Seconded. Beyond the Wall is officially The Shitâ„¢.
>>
>>49207146
Risus.
>>
File: 54754736723.jpg (9KB, 173x160px) Image search: [Google]
54754736723.jpg
9KB, 173x160px
DnD
>>
world of warcraft
>>
Savage Worlds

New World of Darkness

Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 2e
>>
File: 5374736221564785.jpg (8KB, 157x172px) Image search: [Google]
5374736221564785.jpg
8KB, 157x172px
>>49211036
>>
>>49211042
>Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 2e
...Not that one with the cards and shit, right?
>>
On Mighty Thews is easy as fuck to play, all you need is some imagination
>>
File: dolan.png (23KB, 316x331px) Image search: [Google]
dolan.png
23KB, 316x331px
GURPS
>>
>>49207146
5e
>>
>>49211179
No that's 3e
>>
>>49212385
Not trolling, seriously, try gurps lite.
>>
File: 0oa48mF.jpg (53KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
0oa48mF.jpg
53KB, 960x960px
>>49208874
I'm going to side with this, granted the shit I've seen in the thread
>>
>>49207146
The AGE system. You've got a couple different settings to choose from, Dragon Age, as in the video series if you're in to that, Fantasy Age, it's generic non-licensed cousin, and Titan Grave, if you're in to something more Sci-Fi/Shadowrun. You only need 3d6 and everything you need for your character fits easily on one page. And for as simple and easy to learn as it is, its incredibly fun.

Basically, for everything you do, you roll 3d6, you then add the score from the related stat, and an additional 2 if you have a specialization. Like for instance, You need to climb a wall, you've got a strength of 3 and a climbing specialization, you roll 11, so you get a 16 which probably means success unless the wall is absurdly difficult to climb.

This might sound like its too simple to be fun, but one of your three die is designated a dragon die. Any time you roll a pair, whether it be the two other die, or the dragon die and one of the other die, you get "Stunt points" equal to the number that is showing on the Dragon die, and you get a tasty menu of all sorts of fun things with those stunt points. And not just for combat, there are also lists of stunt points for social and exploration rolls.
>>
>>49207146
Honestly, just pick one with art that inspires you. 8 year olds learned how to play 2nd ed DnD by themselves in the 80s. The only thing that makes people think a system is "complicated" is their own inability to delay gratification.
>>
>>49207146
Rifts by Palladium
Or
Pathfinder
>>
savage worlds is rules medium and easy to grasp, warhammer fantasy (2e and 1e) is rules medium and easy to grasp (just d100 below the number written on your sheet) I used the latter to bring 2 girls and 4 guys into the hobby, 1 girl and 3 guys stayed
>>
>>49207146
Legitimately? Pick something. Find a book with art you like, skim it some, and have the GM of choice get a firm grasp of at least character generation so he can guide the players.

The rest you can handwave or houserule at your own discretion, and that's honestly where it gets super fun.
>>
Ryuutama is literally designed to teach new GMs (and new players) how to play. Has a very approachable theme, medium crunch, and great art.

Lady Blackbird is only a few pages long, free, and narrative heavy. Characters are created for you, so everyone just picks one and rolls with it, so it means prep time is low for GM and players. But if you're a complete newb, you might consider watching/listening to a Let's Play/Actual Play first.

Apocalypse World (and most of the games powered by the Apocalypse Engine) are pretty easy to pick up, lower on the scale of GM prep, and easy for newbies to pick up. I personally think it's great for newbie players, but a little more challenging for newbie GMs. (Definitely not hard, but I'd go with Ryuutama as top choice for newbie GMs.)

Fiasco actually requires no GM. Everyone is GM and player, though of course having someone leading by keeping track of what comes next is ideal. Requires a certain mindset ("failing can be fun" rather than "I want to win") and for people to be active players (as opposed to passive players who wait for others to tell them what to react to/roll dice for), but not bad as a newbie introduction to gaming.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.