[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Vintage sci-fi?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

File: buck_rogers09.jpg (44KB, 400x556px) Image search: [Google]
buck_rogers09.jpg
44KB, 400x556px
Does anyone know a good game for vintage sci-fi from 30's to 50's? Buck Rogers, Flash Gordon, Metropolis, Forbidden Planet, Fireball XL5, all that good stuff.
I'm talking art deco ships, rings and fins and chrome on everything, fishbowl space helmets, monsters that look like cheap green rubber suits, cheesy plots and borderline Gary Stu space captains. I'd freaking love to just celebrate all the cheesiness of that shit.
>>
File: rockettothemoon.jpg (212KB, 736x1039px) Image search: [Google]
rockettothemoon.jpg
212KB, 736x1039px
Might as well post this picture as well. Captures the feeling I'm looking for.
>>
>>49204588
You have my eternal gratitude for not using "dieselpunk", "steampunk" or any other "-punk in your post.

Anyways :
X-Plorers is a retro sci fi game that should be what you're looking for.

Metabarons (from the Metabarons/Incal universe) has the same kind of feeling IMO, even if the cheesiness is more modern.

There's also Traveller. I suggest Marc Miller's edition (T4) or the right kind of setting.

Space 1889 is a bit too early, and Rogue Trader done right is basically flash gordon but with skulls everywhere.
>>
>>49204588
You could always use the Buck Rogers Cliffhangers RPG, that might work!

Failing that, anything pulpy - Pulp HERO is something I would recommend, anything d6 - d6 Adventures by WEG, even Savage World if that tickles your fancy.

But actually none of those, go with Hollow Earth Expedition. That will definitely work!
>>
Thanks a bunch!

>>49206141

The right term for this stuff would be Raygun Gothic, but I was hesitant to use that term. Not sure how many know it, or even accept it.
>>
>>49206141

But… it's spacepunk. Because it's in SPAAAAACE!
>>
>>49204588
Cosmic Patrol
>>
File: Flash+Gordon+RPG[1].jpg (87KB, 500x677px) Image search: [Google]
Flash+Gordon+RPG[1].jpg
87KB, 500x677px
>>49208858
I know it, and it's harder to hate since it originates from Gibson instead of some hack trying to put his book in some comfy niche.

Honestly, even big genres like cyberpunk or even sci-fi can have vague borders (Vance's Planet of Adventure, for example), so I'm reluctant on giving special names to aesthetics/themes represented only in an handful of works. "Sci-fi with a '50s look" or " '50s-inspired sci-fi" is sufficient in the vast majority of cases.
And I don't like putting everythign in neat little boxes.

Besides, the "glue some cogs on a top hat" trend didn't help.

/sci-fi grognard rant

BTW, there is a Flash Gordon rpg, but I suppose it's gonna feel a bit dated today.
>>
>>49206141
Sticking a "-punk" suffix on something should be a capital offense.
>>
File: punk351.jpg (84KB, 340x351px) Image search: [Google]
punk351.jpg
84KB, 340x351px
>>49209285

"Are you making fun of my name?"
>>
>>49206141

"Punk" implies, well- punks. Quite the opposite of what you find in most period pulp.
>>
>>49209285

To be fair though, Fallout (which is probably what one thinks of when they hear the word "Dieselpunk" of "Atompunk") rightfully deserves the moniker because a large part of its structure entails rebels, be they the pre-war Canadian freedom fighters which are seen in a positive light, or the post-apocalyptic raiders that stymie the rebuilding of civilization, as well as the more sympathetic Railroad.
>>
>>49206141
Whoa whoa whoa, there's a Metabarons RPG? Gimme!
>>
>>49209636
Jesus Christ, that's even worse. The term for Fallout's genre is "Post Apocalyptic".
>>
If you dig Savage Worlds, then look up Slipstream. It has a very Flash Gordon feel.

Also there is a game called Rocket Age which is also quite good for the genre.
>>
>>49206141

> Rogue Trader done right is basically flash gordon but with skulls everywhere.

Holy shit it's fucking true.

Rogue Trader Flashius Gordane
>>
>>49204588
Rocket Age is the game for you. Explore the jungles of Venus and the deserts of Mars.
>>
>>49204588
Gurps with the cinematic options all on and turned up to 11
>>
Rocket Age is good if you like a Hugo Gernsback sort of 1930-1940 feel, complete with space Nazis on the moon.

Slipstream is good if you want over the top Flash Gordon like the movie from the 80's.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.