[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Pokemon RPG

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 4

File: landscape-1456483171-pokemon2.jpg (84KB, 980x490px) Image search: [Google]
landscape-1456483171-pokemon2.jpg
84KB, 980x490px
I've heard talk of a pen and paper Pokemon RPG from time to time here on the board. Is there a consensus on which one is the best? Links to a download or website?

Hoping to GM a game for a group of players who aren't super into crunch, but they would all know the setting.
>>
>>49185102
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=pokemon+tabletop+rpg
>>
>>49185102
The consensus is that they're all unplayable garbage.
>>
Pokemon Tabletop United is the better, newer version of Pokemon Tabletop Adventures. As far as I know at one point the PTA writers just kind of jumped ship and PTU was born.

The game is incredibly crunchy, with each character and all of their pokemon having character sheets. If you want something with less bookkeeping you could always try some theater of the mind bullshit with PTU as a base.
>>
File: thunder_armor.png (265KB, 330x360px) Image search: [Google]
thunder_armor.png
265KB, 330x360px
The only way it could work is going by anime logic where objective power levels don't exist and move descriptions are just a suggestion.
You want to be able to change your team for the current gym without having to worry about backup mons being underleveled.
>>
>>49185102
There is no consensus. /tg/ has many members who have differing opinions on many things. Anything pokemon related will get shit on pretty bad here for some reason or another.

As far as RPGs for pokemon go, you have PTA/U which are very crunchy and stick closer to the videogames which can make large combat cumbersome. On the other end of the scale, you have pokerole and pokethulu type systems that are very rules light where a lot is lost in the name of streamlining. In the end chose the one you like best, because most people who visit these threads just want to shit on your fun because they either dont have a game to play or hate the one they are in.
>>
>>49185102
Pokemon Tabletop United is the most developed, but like others have said, its a lot of book keeping. If you've played 3.5 D&D and felt overwhelmed with book keeping, imagine that x7 as you manage all your pokemon's character sheets.
>>
>>49185965
this desu. BESM is ok, if you're down to sacrifice "pokemon realism."
>>
File: Gardevoir.png (114KB, 475x475px) Image search: [Google]
Gardevoir.png
114KB, 475x475px
>>49185102
Look up the Pokegirl World Project
>>
>>49187710
>Pokegirl World Project
I'm not even gonna google it, this already sounds terrible.
>>
>>49187909
Oh it is. There's some entertainment value though in its rage inducing terribleness. Pages of autistic furfags trying to justify their fetish game while denying that it could be offensive to anyone.
>>
>>49185102
There are a few fan made, and there really is no concensus.
The three big ones are...

>Pokémon Tabletop Adventures
Based on the d20 ogl (that was made for third edition dnd), it plays like pathfinder, but everyone is a pet character with multiple pets.
There's this weird issue that Psychics are super busted, and many playgroups will wind up with lots of trainers punching pokemon in the face (like digimon data squad, just add buttrock).

>Pokémon Tabletop United
It's... uh... everything I could say about this game is something I could say about FATAL. It's gigantic, cringey, and absolutely a labor of love. But it's not all that bad if you can find guys willing to do the bookkeeping.
The game still uses levels, but they're much looser and allow characters to be whatever and have lots of customization on your 'mons as well.
It's designed for long as shit campaigns... 'mons have the game's levelup to 100 as core and humans level to 50 (though not required to reach that point or stop when you do).
It ends up feeling very much like you're playing a story attached to the gameboy's series' mechanics, so it gets a thumbs up in my dex.

>Pokémon Storyteller or something like that
It's a mediocre hack of the WoD rules. The quality of the design and art is a league ahead of the other two, but the gameplay is awkward in that special way that led Whitewolf to hire Steve Jackson Games to rework their setting into GURPS during the 90s.
Having met the guys who made it, my bias is strong against this game. So don't let me stop you from trying ot out.

>Generic Systems
GURPS, FATE, and Savage Worlds all have multiple fan made modules to do this. As much of a GURPSfag as I am, I suggest going with Risus instead.

>TL;DR
PTU for Gameboy feel, if you can handle bookkeeping.
Risus if you want it to play out like the drama, and don't mind things getting a little silly.
>>
>>49188261
>Having met the guys who made it, my bias is strong against this game.
Come on now, that' just begging to be asked for some story time
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.