[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

GURPS General - /gurpsgen/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 319
Thread images: 52

File: GURPS OP1.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
GURPS OP1.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Shill Edition

Dungeon Fantasy kickstarter is going pretty good https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/847271320/dungeon-fantasy-roleplaying-game-powered-by-gurps
>>
What settings/genres did you play that are not TL4 fantasy? I feel like wast majority of people tend to stick to low TL.
>>
>>49184965
are there rules for swings or thrusts that go through multiple foes or hit multiple enemies? like a giant swinging his tree or a ogre swinging something.
>>
>>49185066

TL4 is definitively one of the most fun TL:s to dick around with. With that said, I've GM:d TL5 (it's very rocket taggy because of rifles and no good body armor) and TL9 (ironically less so) as well. TL4 hits a sweet spot of diversity of weapons and reliability of armor while being easy to worldbuild a fantasy setting around.

Anyway, according to the principles of Bio- and Ultratech, can you combine a Cognitive Enhancement (p217 UT) with IQ boosting brain modification to make a species of 15 15 supermensch cyborgs? I'm interested in knowing this out of worldbuilding reasons since I'm making a setting that stays faithful to the tl10 tech level.
>>
>>49185456

There's whirlwind attacks.

With that said, you can use rapid strike (hitting several foes) to do it as well (it's just a matter of how you fluff it).

As a monster ability you can create it as some form of limited innate attack.
>>
>>49185481
Is there any rules that "automatically" adds area of effect to unarmed attacks at certain SM levels?
>>
>>49185456

Not that I recall, but try Martial Arts.

It would be easy to create this as a cinematic power. Extra Attack with an accessibility limitation "requires hit", or perhaps give it "requires attribute roll" and "resistable" to reflect that you have to roll to hit and the guy you're cleaving through can use an active defense. Either way should come out to about the same points.
>>
>>49185507

Yes, I believe so. At a certain size your attacks because large area attacks because you are so darn big.

Don't remember source. Might have been a pyramid chapter? Try googling the SJ forums.
>>
>>49185066

TL8 modern, TL10 hard sci fi (Transhuman Space) and a campaign coming up for TL11* superscience cinematic sci fi.

I actually haven't played fantasy much in GURPS, mainly because my group loved 3.5 for that and then got roped into D&D4 and after trying it a few times got kind of burned out on traditional fantasy campaigns.
>>
>>49185066
I keep meaning to run a TL8 game set during an apocalypse, but I don't feel like GURPS is the right fit for it for me.
>>
>>49185542
not that anon but i couldn't find anything, pehaps i'm just googling the wrong words.
>>
>>49185701

If not GURPS, then what? If there's one thing even the haters agree on, it's that GURPS is ideal for modern oper8R games.

After The End covers post-apoc, but many of the issues come up during an apocalpse, too.

OK, I'll open my kimono a bit. My TL11 game is the end-state of a TL8 apocalpse where alien tech triggers chaos and awesomeness. GURPS is perfect because it lets me run a straight-up modern game and then spring the new TL on them unawares.

Why not tell us more about the game you want to run and we'll make suggestions?
>>
>>49185066
Cyberpunk, space opera, modern era stuff. All kinds of genres and tones. Fun times.
I've actually never played a TL4 game. Closest I got was TL3. It was fantasy though, not historical.
I've been meaning to run TL2 fantasy, we'll see.

>>49185845
Anon didn't say he wanted operators operating operatingly. Maybe he wants big damn heroes battling hordes of mutants, saving the unmutated girl. Or nobodies trying to fight off or delay a horrifying apocalypse.
>>
>>49185970

Well then let's see what game he wants to play. I'm all for helping.
>>
So I looked at the Mega in the PDF and it looks like there are a lot of dupes. Without actually checking I'm not sure - are these dupes or is there a difference? They all seem to be the same size and same filename in the same folder.
>>
>>49186053
Some guy a few days ago said he'd add in all his books, probably that.
>>
File: DSCF3272.jpg (511KB, 892x533px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF3272.jpg
511KB, 892x533px
if i have something like a Bill i can attack someone from behide an ally, right?
>>
File: MKq27jL%255B1%255D[1].png (204KB, 1168x803px) Image search: [Google]
MKq27jL%255B1%255D[1].png
204KB, 1168x803px
http://pseudoboo.blogspot.com/2016/09/ritual-path-magic-cheat-sheet.html

I think I have the final one page cheat sheet, no weird border glitches, required boilerplate texts, and numbers are all lined up correctly.
>>
File: 1449990244961.jpg (421KB, 838x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1449990244961.jpg
421KB, 838x1200px
>>49185970
>>49186042
Sorry, had to do some real life stuff.

The original draft I had written up (and run past my semi-regular group, they approved but knew I wasn't ready) was about a group of emergency responders and other semi-prepared-but-not-military people surviving and fighting back in a Biblical-esque apocalypse. The war between heaven and hell spills over into Earth as hell's forces inhabit the dead, the angelic and demonic hosts work behind the scenes while regular ol' humans get caught in the crossfire.

Could GURPS do it? Sure. Is it way above the complexity level I'm looking for, especially with my players (whose high end of "I can understand the mechanics" is Dark Heresy with reminders)? Absolutely.
>>
>>49185066
I am guilty of enjoying tl4 fantasy, but I've also run
TL3 zero fantasy + intrigue
TL5 Stargate 1888 high adventure
TL6 Weird war 2
TL7+ post apocalypse retroviruses mad max
TL8 cthulu time
TL8 xmen on pcp
TL8 ghostbusters
TL9 ghostbusters
TL9 space ADVENTURE!
TL10 operators operating operationally (in cybershells)
>>
>>49186169
Yes. Melee does not receive a penalty for 'interposing characters' unless they're blocking your reach completely somehow. You're free to shank the guy behind someone else, assuming you can get to his hit locations.
>>
>>49186462

Personally, if you wanted to do a campaign like this, GURPS would be my first pick. I suppose WoD would work, too, if your players were already familiar with it.

With GURPS, the trick is that the GM does most of the work before the campaign starts. That's its biggest strength (it can be anything) and its biggest weakness (GMs hate all that prep work and often try to wing it or push it down to their players).

Unless you're switching on high-detail rules like hit locations, or expect your players to come up with their own powers using the Basic Set, Powers, and other supplements, then you can keep the rules dead simple.

(The other path to temptation here is that GURPS gives you the ability to create hyper-detailed rules of your own via complex powers. Whereas the only abilities you have in most games at all are the simple ones. Create a simple power in GURPS and it's usually as or more straightforward than it would be in another system. Just because you COULD get tricky doesn't mean you SHOULD.)

I do suggest one optional rule: Abstract Range (from the Action series). It's derived from the SSR table but liberates you from it in favor of simple bands.
>>
>>49187312
I pull abstract range for anything and everything. Not just GURPS.

The big issue with running it is planning out the campaign itself, honestly, not just the system. I don't know where to properly take it. But the group already looked at character generation and checked out once, so...
>>
What magic system do you prefer?

Is it based on advantages or skills?

I'm working on a homebrew based on GURPS and D&D and I'm deciding between focusing more on Advantages or Skills for magic powers.

Basically which is better?

The Turn Undead spell as a 5 point merit that uses the Theology IQ skill?
Or Turn Undead spell as an IQ/Hard skill itself?

I'm open to other suggestions.
>>
>>49187350
>abstract range
I've never understood the need for this, playing on a battlemat, or online on Roll20. The linear measurement is right there available, and the chart is right there too. Bam. Done. Just ducking look it up.

I suppose abstract works best for more narrative scenes. Less minutiae during quick resolution and such.
>>
>>49187386
Powers and magic as advantages/abilities, but drop the coupled skills. Unless you're cheapening the ability cost by making it fail sometimes dependant on a roll, and then you should use anything other than an improvable skill
>>
>>49187392
We never use a battlemat. Abstract range is a lot better when all distances becomes "roughly approximately"
>>
>>49187392

I prefer to not use a map because it encourages players away from the social/story elements and towards a combat/dungeon crawling mentality.

Those kinds of games are fun, too, don't get me wrong, but the more narrative games are rare and precious and draw players more in my experience.

Abstract range lets you play around a fireplace in a darkened room. It also encourages players to be less obsessed with fiddling with every possible bonus/penalty modifier.
>>
>>49187392
Like >>49187430 >>49187711 mentioned, I never touch battlemats. Slows things down way too much in my experience. Just ballpark it, have a large band of ranges.

I also play over IRC (now Discord), so battlemats aren't a possibility in the first place.
>>
File: Gun Fu Simplified Range.png (69KB, 461x384px) Image search: [Google]
Gun Fu Simplified Range.png
69KB, 461x384px
>>49187392
It's nice, but whether the GM tells you "he's 40 yards away" or you measure it yourself, tables still have to be checked.
I just go with this, desu. Minus the actual numbers.
>>
what are those 3 meals? 3k calories? inst that too much for that little wheight?
>>
>>49187778

And unless you're running a dungeon crawl and are on the map all the time, the problem of initial ranges will always be at least a little arbitrary.

This is the best non-Basic Set rule in the game.
>>
>>49184965

So who's contributed yet? And how much?

I'm going for the DM screen, the box set, and the PDFs.
>>
>>49188194

Just the basic $50.

The rest is neat, but I'm in the UK, so I'm looking at a +$65 cost on top for shipping, which is a bit unpleasant for my poor graduate bank account.

To be honest, I'm not even the biggest DF fan, but I want to support SJGames here.

...aaagh fuck it, I'll go for the screen as well. Could be pretty useful for other campaigns anyway.
>>
>>49187817
There's about 4000 calories per pound of pemmican, fat or oil. This means if you want to hit 2000-3000 you could, in a 1.5 pound daily ration, pack in half a pound of pemmican and have a pound of whatever you'd like.

If you prefer though, there's also 'travel rations' listed in Basic Set by Living Standard that are 14 pounds per week.
>>
>>49186462
I've never played Dark Heresy, but GURPS is dead simple for the PLAYERS. You'll have to do quite a bit of leg work.

GURPS was my first ever system. I was ~13 or so, and I ran it for my 9 and 7 year old brothers. The basic mechanic is "roll 3D6 vs. your skill". That's it. Dead simple, and fun.

I will say that you'll probably have to help them with character creation, which is the only complex thing that players need to worry about.
>>
>>49185507
try the Combat Writ Large pyramid article.
>>
File: rfgGz6e.jpg (54KB, 599x399px) Image search: [Google]
rfgGz6e.jpg
54KB, 599x399px
This week on Grimwyld it was a short session while our GM has to plan for house hunting. We also had a few people out.

Those that weren't around to play were left in the front room of the grim, mysterious building we'd entered by marking a rune on the door with dwarf blood along with the horses. With those guards it was time to go deeper inside.

This ran into the first problem: Stygian darkness. While elves and giant beastmen can see pretty well in low light they can't see shit in -10 Full On Fucking Dark, the preferred conditions for evil dwarves that built the place. Our dwarf gunner patiently waited while the big folk figured out some way to make a light.

The GM let us quickly rig a torch and advance into the dark.

Every detail we saw as we went deeper heightened the oppressive atmosphere of exploring a dark tomb. Another seal that demanded something to open was found, but we didn't try it yet because we weren't sure what it would open and it seemed to want something different from the dwarf blood we'd used to unlock the last one. A mold-filled room held a fresh fetid corpse being gnawed by rat-sized beetles that scattered and avoided the light. Everyone agreed that was full of NOPE and not to go in there.

It was while working on a portcullis that led deeper into the dark place that shit stirred behind us in the mold room. Huge bugs rushed out and everyone was real on edge at the idea those things were going to swarm us, but they scattered and out walked the Elf Vampire we'd thought we had killed.

That was the end of it. I liked the atmosphere here. It felt closed in, dangerous and mysterious.
>>
>>49192981
>dark dungeon exploration
>full of NOPE monsters
>AND recurring npc's!
https://youtu.be/wlMwc1c0HRQ
>>
File: 1426024228084.jpg (49KB, 602x1007px) Image search: [Google]
1426024228084.jpg
49KB, 602x1007px
What is the right swing damage for a ST 15 Weapon Master with a Greatsword?

2d+1 base, + 3 for the sword, +4 for weapon master = 2d+8?

Do you simplify that to 4d+1?
>>
>>49187711
Not using a battlemap is fucking terrible to play in. It's like playing in a featureless vast plain of nothingness. Quite often there's no strategical manuevering and combat just becomes back and forth attacking.
>>
>>49194580
What are you talking about? You can have terrain and stuff without keeping track of everything's exact location.
>>
>>49194644
How do you have terrain if no one can see where it is?
>>
>>49194706
Same as you can have PCs and NPC.
>>
>>49194410
If your skill is at DX+2, yes, it will be +4 damage.
>Do you simplify that to 4d+1?
Yes, although it's optional.
>>
>>49194580
I find that the issue isn't that going mapless is playing on a featureless plain, it's remembering what the battlefield looks like... which turns it into a featureless plain, no matter how good you are at description. You can't expect me to keep all of GURPS' combat options and rules in my head AND all of the features of the battlefield, from terrain to number of enemies to relative distance to my fellow PCs.

IME, a battlemap is an instant improvement for any combat, even if you don't use full-on tactical combat with facing and everything else. Just being able to see where everything is is a gigantic help, and it feels less like a vague mess where things happen just because.

On a different topic, I'm creating a race of sentient undead inspired by legos. They have total unhealing, but their bodies can be maintained/repaired/modified with surgery, using anything (living/dead flesh, prosthetics, plants, etc.), and it'll be the primary method of healing for them. Naturally, many of them will have at least some strange additions. I'm at a bit of a loss on how to handle this. Allow surgery to be used to heal HP like physician/first aid? Give them surgery-based Healing? Or maybe surgery-based Injury Tolerance (Independent Body Parts, Reattachement Only)? Surgery-based modular abilities/morph, to show their ability to be universal recipients of practically anything?
>>
Can anyone explain the Malediction modifier to me? I can't figure out how much it's supposed to cost. I just want to turn an Innate Attack into a magical blast.
>>
>>49196394
>magical blast
Gonna need at least some vague bullet points anon

Male diction changes an attack from resolving with an attack roll, to(basically) resolving if the user succeeds on an opposed save(default:ht)

So instead of "I roll innate attack and throw a fireball" it's "I drop my hate-fire on them, and beat my roll by 3. Do they resist? "

If you wanna blast a buncha guys, add area effect or cone etc.
For other stuff like pain or hallucinations, add symptoms.
Get it?
>>
File: ss (2016-09-05 at 10.41.32).png (92KB, 806x527px) Image search: [Google]
ss (2016-09-05 at 10.41.32).png
92KB, 806x527px
>>49196394
Second to last paragraph of Malediction has the cost modifiers.

>magical blast
What do you mean by this? A D&D fireball is just a burning innate attack with area effect slapped on it. It's not a malediction.
>>
File: mended_heart.jpg (552KB, 1500x912px) Image search: [Google]
mended_heart.jpg
552KB, 1500x912px
>>49196280

I'd just kitbash a new rule for just them, with..

Can Be Repaired with: Surgery, Carpentry, Sculptor at a rate of 1 HP every half hour, crippled areas can be replaced if a replacement part is available in a half hour. Takes a penalty to use on yourself equal to HP lost. (10 point advantage)

Use Surgery, Carpentry or Sculptor to craft replacement parts for installation.

Maybe give them Modular Abilities too, to let them get new and interesting powers from the parts installed.
>>
File: WallPaper_Abomination_sml.jpg (853KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
WallPaper_Abomination_sml.jpg
853KB, 1920x1080px
>>49193108
It made feel like those parts in Dragon's Dogma where you go into creepy as fuck places under the earth and there are rape happy ogres and grabby zombies around any corner. I kept expecting things to go Very Bad.
>>
File: 40260732.jpg (227KB, 800x1023px) Image search: [Google]
40260732.jpg
227KB, 800x1023px
I am picking up this game for some Sword & Sorcery schlock, and nothing can stop me from doing so. I am curious however to hear how it handles magical transportation compared to other systems. One thing that really irritated me about D&D 3.5 was that for a lot of the 1-20 scale everyone would just wind walk, greater teleport, and ant carry+overland flight everywhere. I want to have a game where people actually hike through the woods, sleep under the stars, scale insurmountable mountains and actually go on an adventure when moving from point A to B. Does a game of GURPS Dungeon Fantasy typically go that way? If not, what methods are typically used for transportation?
>>
>>49198215
>GURPS Dungeon Fantasy
If you're after S&S, Basic Set + Conan might be a better starting point.
>>
>>49197976
I was afraid of having to just make up rules, but I suppose some things deserve it.

On second thought, actually, I could nick the rules from B484 on repairs to objects, which is pretty close to your ideas. 1HP*MoS on Surgery, Carpentry, Artist (Sculptor), etc. if they're above 0HP, crippled limbs need parts/complete replacement and roll whichever skill at -2, continue until it's at positive HP, etc.

I think Modular Abilities is the only way to do the "cool upgrades" from replacement parts and keep my sanity. Shouldn't be too expensive with all of the modifiers I'll be throwing on it. Thanks for the help.
>>
Which one is better. GURPS Character Sheet or GURPS Character Assistant?
>>
How do I get a horse in GURPS? Do I have to get an Ally or something?
>>
>>49198514
Depends on what you want. I like GCS, but GCA has caught my eye since it can more easily integrate alternate rules (especially ones that mess with math). I just hate that it looks and feels like shareware from 1995, and I'm not fond of its character sheet output.
>>
>>49198215
'Magical methods of transportation are banned in this game' is all you really need to say, and 'I don't want you to have them' is all the reasons your players need. Because GURPS wants you to have the exact game you want, it's almost explicitly said (and maybe it actually is, I don't remember), that you can remove any of it's parts and it will work all the same, and that, to be able to be run in a sane and enjoyable manner to the GM, a firm and adamant No is his right. The GURPS GM will eventually run into the player who mistakes 'you can use it to run anything' for 'you can play anything', and presents you his cyborg abomination for use in your TL/3 east Asia campaign... this analogue to the Rule Zero is the only thing that can save the GM in such a situation.
>>
>>49198552
Yeah, I figured that I would be able to just ban them. I was just wondering which spells I would be looking at.
>>
File: 1393166433466.png (636KB, 500x750px) Image search: [Google]
1393166433466.png
636KB, 500x750px
>>49198514
There's no consensus, though I think there is a slight preference for GCS over GCA around here. Either works fine, though, for most players.

>>49198215
In Dungeon Fantasy unless the GM introduces an artifact that allows for easy movement (like a flying ship, magic carpet, 1978 Police Interceptor Ford) then most travel is going to involve the old fashioned way of packing equipment, supplies and people and walking there.

A character can get magic that lets them move around more easily but it's a pretty big investment. You will pretty much never see people teleportation around.
>>
>>49198540

If it's your Loyal and Trusted Steed, it's an ally, if it's just a replaceable horse you bought last week, just buy it with cash.
>>
File: 1362633141981.jpg (445KB, 800x1626px) Image search: [Google]
1362633141981.jpg
445KB, 800x1626px
>>49198540
There's a few options, depending on your game.

If you want to spend $2000, you can just buy one. Taking a horse as an ally would be a good option if you want an especially powerful horse you have a strong rapport with, but your GM might not like the idea.

The last option is in settings where horse ownership is common among wealthy people you can own one as part of your household/assumed stuff if you have Wealth/Stats +1 or better and reserve 4/5ths of your starting wealth to represent your household. (An option for established characters).
>>
>>49198621
>Loyal and trusted

Well, you could also take it with an appearance roll of 9+, so half the time when you whistle for it it doesn't show up.

And take it as a Enemy, so sometimes when it dose show up it is super pissed off and just wants to kick the shit out of you.
>>
>>49198582
Many of the movement and gate spells. Cloud Vaulting and clever use of one of the shape terrain spells allowed my group to bypass a huge tract of land, for example. Alternatively, you could look into some of the other magic systems, although the standard Magic is so straightforward (and natively supported by DF) that it's probably better to just look at your player's list of spells and remove whatever seems out of place. As a rule, you should do this for all characters, GURPS chargen, even heavily templated like in DF, can have a lot of moving pieces, mistakes, and 'mistakes'. If it's total removal of all magical form of personal displacement, Teleportation and it's blocking spell Blink would be banned as well, although Blink is only short range I believe. You can wholesale remove entire colleges but in the context of dungeon delving, the removal of some key defensive spells like the arrow blocking ones could axe a wizard pretty bad. In the end though, it would be difficult to break the system too badly, and if you overdo it, I'm sure you can make it up to your players in some way or another.
>>
>>49198694
An alternative to appearance rolls is loyalty rolls. Roll vs. the Appearance score to see if they'll obey you. Introduced in... DF15, I believe? I can't recall exactly where. I love that alternative rule, however, and it's made modern allies much more believable, since it's really easy to get ahold of people through modern technology.
>>
Post your current character, /gurpsgen/.
>>
File: EdCaJacket.png (947KB, 1022x593px) Image search: [Google]
EdCaJacket.png
947KB, 1022x593px
What is the carrying capacity/encumbrance limit of a leather jacket?

Tech Level is Eight, if it matters.
>>
>>49198215
Everything in this post is in reference to the Basic magic system; it's the one everyone's introduced to first, the one that's least "build from the ground up," and the system used in Dungeon Fantasy.

Magic helps but does not replace traditional transportation IIRC. I think that duration for spells like flight tend to be measured in minutes, meaning it's really not worth using for an entire trip and certainly not worth it to grant your entire party flight. There's also the issue of fatigue costs in that many spells call for not-insignificant FP expenditure.

In Dungeon Fantasy, spells with teleportation effects are outright banned as they circumvent adventures and kill tension 90% of the time (though villains have access to them in case they need a quick escape). Also worht noting that *all* DF templates, even the spindly wizard, sport ST, DX, and HT levels to be viable in most adventuring situations, making climbing and hiking possible.

I don't have my books on me, though, so all the above is pulled from memory; durations may be longer.
>>
>>49199349
Properly tailored I'd allow it to act as a combo gadget with Load Bearing Gear for 20 pounds of capacity.
>>
File: Gray.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Gray.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>49199036
My Grimwyld character. My only regrets would be an occasional wish I'd gone for polearms or two handed sword and the name being too close to the kingdom we work for.
>>
>>49199036
I keep starting characters and then stopping them before I get any farther than basic stats and a couple advantages because I have no campaign
>>
>>49199519
>Not completing a character sheet only to file it away with the other three-dozen fully-fleshed-out characters that will never see the light of day because you don't have a group, each with their own motivations, flaws, and histories.
H...how does it f-feel to be such a p-pleb amirite?
>>
>>49199519
That's alright, anon! Just do it for fun. Making characters is fun.

Right?
>>
>>49199595
>>49199590

I have a folder of a solid... probably 10-15 sheets that I'll never use. I enjoyed it, but I've kind of burnt myself out on building without a focus.

May have an upcoming TL8 apocalypse campaign to play in, though. Teaching the GM how to GURPS.
>>
>>49198659
The longer I stare at this picture the harder for me to understand what the fuck artist was thinking.
>>
>>49199455
Well, you may switch to bastard sword (with falchion blade) for little more damage.
>>
Where do the various point "level bands" fall? What point level separates a regular guy from an everyman protagonist, street level heroes from superheroes, etc? Asking to help a friend set up his campaign.
>>
>>49200561
See Power Level in Basic Set p. 487
>>
>>49200637
Thanks. Haven't touched the books much in a while, looked at characters but not campaigns.
>>
>>49185456
See extreme dismemberment on MA136. Then apply it to multiple people, except you need to roll to hit again.
I'd say it can continue for as long as there is excess damage (You subtract the amount of damage dealt in the previous strikes), but it should also be limited to a certain arc in front of the character, of course.

There's also cleaving strikes in DF11, p10. But I don't have that book.
>>
>>49201218
You can also treat a group of enemies as a swarm. Dealing oodles of damage against a swarm would represent taking out multiple does in a single strike.
>>
>>49200171
I'm happy with damage, it's mostly aesthetics and reach.. though I love smashing things with that huge shield.

>>49200561
Superheroes is a bit complicated. There's marvel-style "street level" superheroes that would fit neatly into 200 to 250 points, or dirty, grimey things like Netflicks Daredevil you could fit into 150 point levels, though it wouldn't be easy.
>>
>>49198582

The only really practical long-distance travel spells not banned by default in Dungeon Fantasy are Cloud Vaulting and Flying Carpet. Neither of them are prerequisites for other spells, so you should be able to ban them with no problems.

The other common method of flying around is to get a creature to carry you. Fortunately, only one of the standard allies or summonable entities available in DF is capable of carrying a typical adventurer and flying; the Demon. I think it's fair enough to simply ban your PCs from summoning demons, but if you don't want to do that it's simple to change the template so that they can't fly or introduce serious complications for anyone dealing with infernal powers as a regular thing. In any event, demons are difficult to summon (and expensive to buy as allies), tricky to control and come with some built-in limitations (notably, pissing off most gods and reasonable people).
>>
Can someone post a link of the trove also would I get problems if I took some templates from the 3rd edition for my 4th edition games?
>>
File: 1374002017422.jpg (714KB, 1200x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1374002017422.jpg
714KB, 1200x1500px
Am I getting it wrong or do unbalanced weapons (such as axes, etc) suck, especially at higher strengths where the +1 or whatever damage they have over swords is a drop in the bucket?

Am I missing something?

Welp, just realised that unbalanced doesn't mean unready, but still.
>>
>>49202297
Not really. Unbalanced weapons almost always have a VERY low cost for their damage output, meaning you can stack on a lot of quality modifiers without breaking the bank. Furthermore, if you look at PKitty's rules for heavier weapons or Low-Tech Companion 2's rules for bigger weapons, you can scale weapons to huge STs; that +1 or +2 an axe or mace enjoys over a sword can be scaled up to +3 to +6 or so, and again the generally low cost of such a weapon means that it's cheap to make big ones.

They are also normally paired with shields, making their lack of a party less of an issue, and many have access to options swords lack like sw imp or the hook technique.
>>
>>49202297
>>49202452

Also you can avoid the lack of parry by taking a minor penalty to your damage and doing a defensive attack, so if you're in a situation where you really need to have a parry available it's not that much of an issue.
>>
>>49202297
+1 damage is almost never "a drop in the bucket." HP values rarely stray too far away from 10-12 unless you're talking about giant monsters and vehicles, so that +1 damage normally equates to taking off an extra 8-10% of the target's HP. It can also make the difference between penetrating DR and not, or the diference between a solid blow and a truly fight-ending Major Wound or Crippling Injury.
>>
>>49201884
>Can someone post a link of the trove?
Yes. They already did. In the OP.

>would I get problems if I took some templates from the 3rd edition for my 4th edition games?

Yes, unless you converted them. Many traits changed their points value between editions and some of them were replaced by different ones, work differently, etc.
>>
>>49202297
For the same price as a good sword you can generally get a fine axe, so it's more like +2 damage. However, not getting a parry is a big deal, so most fighters will go for swords or spears given the choice.

Axes work well if:

You aren't planning to use active defences (e.g. you are a berserker or wear enough armour that you can afford to go all-out most of the time).
You are a two-weapon fighter and the second weapon is used to parry (typically either a balanced weapon used with axe/mace like the hatchet or a main-gauche).
You rely on blocks for your defence. This obviously requires a shield and usually works best for low skill fighters who need the DB and wouldn't be able to do multiple parries anyway.
You rely on dodging for your defence. Typical only seen on high-powered characters.
You rely on reach to keep yourself safe. This is mostly useful for polearm fighters.
>>
>>49202297
Consider that there's no Throwing (Swords) skill.

Likewise, consider the pick and warhammer from Low-Tech. They are both swing impaling and reduce chink penalties by -2, each at a fraction of the cost with better damage/wounding modifier than an estoc, and not some rinky-dink knife that'll break if it so much as looks at a proper sword. Even using defensive attacks, picks (and definitely warhammers) keep up with an estoc for damage. Not to mention both can get stuck, which means an ST roll/QC for free damage. Yes, please.
>>
>>49204195
I'm still waiting for someone to play a pc with those weapons. I keep getting sword board tanks and gunners though. :/
>>
>>49203123
OP only posted some kickstarter link though.
Also if I wanted to convert 3e to 4e how would I go about that ?
>>
>>49204374
You're retarded.
Look at the op 'image'
>>
>>49203200
>You rely on dodging for your defence. Typical only seen on high-powered characters.
A one-handed weapon allows the use of a shield, which benefits Dodge as well. A DB 2 shield gives a bog-standard character Dodge 10 before any retreat bonuses, and a DB 3 shield boosts it up to 11 (the penalty for large shields can be ignored with a perk that any serious shield fighter will have regardless of powerlevel).
>>
>>49204413
Oh right thanks
>>
>>49204359
Pick/Morningstar & Board are two of my favorite loadouts for low-tech characters. Cheap, effective, reliable, with plenty of cash left over for a nice set of armor, even at TL2.

I've never been big on swords. Flails, though? I love flails. Absolutely love them. Parry and block penalties? Outright negate fencing weapons (or, using A Matter of Inches, heavily penalizing them)? Being able to telegraphic to make up for your low skill level and strike at vital targets, while still imparting a penalty to defenses, or making it a wash? Yes, please.

I love polearms too, but I've never had the chance to be the halberdier in a party.
>>
>>49204860
I've always wanted to do Flail and Shield.

Beat followed by a Counterattack Returning Strike looks like too much fun.
>>
>>49204860
I just like having a spear and hiding behind meat sh-trusted party members.
>>
>>49204964
>Not sporting a longspear and an actual large shield of bronze and oxhide
Disgusting.
>>
>>49204860
>TL2
TL3* Excuse my lack of sleep.

>>49204945
>Counterattack Returning Strike
It IS too much fun. I made a trademark move out of it, attacking the back of the skull at a reduced penalty. My GM actually penalized me with a reputation for it because I used it so much, and it was so effective.
>>
>>49205056
I'll take whatever works for cheap.
Though I wouldn't mind a rocket striker vibroblade spear.
>>
File: pB400.png (405KB, 740x967px) Image search: [Google]
pB400.png
405KB, 740x967px
>>49185507
Took me a second to find it. Your SM has to be 7 bigger than your target.
>>
>>49186927
>TL8 xmen on pcp

Do what now?
>>
>>49205695
Xmen style game in "five minuted from now". All the players get laise faire to make mutant powers. Minmaxing ensues. The team has no Jubilee, and problems are dealt with "my 12d area effect cosmic damage attack" or "I teleport it to the moon"
>>
>>49205657
Although you also just plain get a lot of bonuses to grappling and doing stuff like pulling peoples heads off at much smaller disparities in size modifier.

It's why you don't want to let the Ogre or Troll grab you in a game with those. They will literally tear you limb from limb a fair amount of the time just because they have a moderately good skill level and the bonuses to back it up.

Also why a commoner can totally take a Cat in Gurps because they focus on just plain grabbing it, and then wring it's neck.
>>
File: 1450768441097.jpg (105KB, 861x960px) Image search: [Google]
1450768441097.jpg
105KB, 861x960px
What are the most important non-combat and non-obvious skills to have after the apocalypse? Obviously After the End has the listing of valid/useful skills, but narrowing it down a bit, what're the *most* important ones?
>>
>>49205840
Depends on the context of the apocalypse and how you're living, but in general:

People that are roughing it alone would want survival skills to find safe food, water, and shelter; skills to repair, maintain, and create equipment; and medical skills, so they can treat their own wounds and infections, creating medicine if need be.

People who are in a society need to be good at something vital to their society's function, whether that's growing crops, repairing and maintaining existing equipment, creating new equipment, leadership roles and solving disputes, healthcare, logistics, training combatants, scouting, etc..

People in a society get by with their lower points by having a greater point pool to pull from, while people roughing it alone or in small groups need higher points for being generalists. You can't really have specialists in small groups, because if one of your specialists succumbs to the thing they're good at, and nobody else can even attempt to cover for them, you're up shit creek.
>>
>>49204444
>the penalty for large shields
what penalty?
>>
>>49205840
Survival in your chosen terrain, a weapon skill you can use to hunt, Navigation, and Soldier.
>>
File: ss (2016-09-06 at 02.21.36).png (24KB, 419x193px) Image search: [Google]
ss (2016-09-06 at 02.21.36).png
24KB, 419x193px
>>49206162
You're forgiven for having never heard of it. It's the most obscure attack modifier in GURPS, I swear. The only place it's listed in Basic is the bottom of B547. I only found it because of the Shield-Wall Training perk, MA51. Why the hell isn't this under Shields in the equipment chapter?
>>
>>49206281
The infamous gurps debut editing job, I assume. I gotta bring this up with our resident shield tank! Seems he might need to buy a perk
>>
>>49206281
what, you take -2 to any attack when usign a big shield? did u understood that right? also which perk?
>>
>>49206860
Non who you're replying to but yes. Your large shield gets in your way almost as much as it gets in your opponent's.

Shield-Wall Training perk. In Power Ups Perks and Martial Arts.
>>
File: 1468444866355.png (124KB, 5000x2571px) Image search: [Google]
1468444866355.png
124KB, 5000x2571px
>>49206860
>mfw a super strong huge character I GM'd for got around this by just making the shield their weapon, adding an edge option to the bottom half of the heater shape, and spending all their time abusing knockback perks and techs to ping pong fuckers everywhere
>>
File: M6QIz2H.jpg (3MB, 3486x2322px) Image search: [Google]
M6QIz2H.jpg
3MB, 3486x2322px
>>49205840
Armory (Small Arms) allows you to keep weapons functional or kitbash new ones and keeps you armed. Survival lets you find food and water.

Scrounging is an easy to overlook skill that is very useful and Observation lets you spot threats before they reach you and notice ambushes or stealthy attackers.

If you have a chance to settle down somewhere for a while Carpentry or Masonry are great for building lasting structures, while Gardening can let you keep small scale agriculture going to keep yourself and your family fed.
>>
File: GURPS Cyberpunk.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
GURPS Cyberpunk.pdf
1B, 486x500px
Does anyone have the Transhuman Space core book? It seems all the archive has is supplements.
In return I have this thing which I believe isn't in the archive either.
>>
>>49207814
Since you mentioned Armory, I guess I should go ahead and ask. I'm planning on a technician sort of character as a successor to an old campaign our GM fuckrd up. Would an Engineer specialty (electrical, maybe), plus the actual technical skills, honestly be worth taking? Electrician to string up non-electronics, machinist for using scavenged or made tools, and armory to maintain weapons and, if I take another specialty, body armor? (might consider Carpentry/Masonry, might leave it to someone else) I know my GM, and I know settling and fortifying is going to end up coming up; think War of the Worlds set in the late 40s and you'd have the apocalypse in question down fine. I just don't want to take useless skills on a 100pt budget when I can put them elsewhere.

All of us have/will have the very basics, but we're a coherent small society with some specialization.
>>
>>49208304
A lot of those skills are thematically related; see if you can find a relevant Talent that'll cover all/most of them.
Engineering could be useful, but it won't be your main skill as it's not a day-to-day survival necessity, so don't put too many points into it (though if you find a good Talent, you would be golden).
>>
>>49208409
Huh, yeah, I forgot about talents. Last time I took a serious look at GURPS was years ago. That might make it viable after all.

I don't expect to be solely a builder or anything; salvage, repair, and barter. Plus an old beat up rifle.
>>
>>49208304
Electrical engineering let's you design electrical system. Very useful if you get to the point of having a stronghold. Machinist is more day to day useful.
>>
>>49207462
Except they still should have attacked at -2. There's no condition to the penalty and unless one of the techniques they used to attack with the shield mitigated it the damned thing is still unwieldy.
>>
>>49208304
Engineering is mostly made to design a system. It's useful if you want to build a water mill, wind mill or other renewable power generation system and hook it up to power your stronghold.

Machinist is used to build a lot of the things you design.

Armory (Body Armor) is only a maybe because realistically there is only so much you can do to repair modern armor, but if it's a game where building scarch built armor is going to be possible then it can be a vital skill.
>>
File: Hermit Purple.gif (44KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
Hermit Purple.gif
44KB, 320x320px
What's the value of a limitation to Telekinesis that lets my TK get "attacked"? I'm trying to stat out an ability similar to Hermit Purple and I think a Visible TK may be my best bet (Extra Arm is stupidly expensive and Natural Weapon doesn't allow for manipulation beyond grabbing hold of a target).

I'm thinking of hacking the Gadget disadvantages as they're basically what I want -- if this thing is broken, you lose the ability, only this time it's because the ability it being attacked directly -- but I'm curious if there's a more elegant solution.
>>
>>49211191
If it goes so far to actually function as an extra arm or a long arm, buy that.
If it's immune to being attacked, buy it as TK.
>>
>>49211809
Buying a single arm with Reach 10 costs over 100 points or 105 with Flexible, even more with other things like Switchable and other enhancements necessary to go full Hermit Purple.
>>
>>49212064
And yet, you insist, it is necessary
>>
File: 1440988719609.jpg (486KB, 1066x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1440988719609.jpg
486KB, 1066x1600px
>>49206281
Damn, I'm grabbing shield wall then. Good thing I have a few points banked after the last session.

On the cool side, now I get to block attacks on adjacent allies.

Dose that work like a sacrificial dodge and blocked attacks hit me, or dose it work as a block and negated attacks hit the shield?
>>
>>49213303
The latter. You interpose a shield, and it gets hit.
Assuming your gm is worth his weight, he's gonna enforce damage to shields. If not, you're a literal aegis
>>
Got any good 4e cheat sheats /gurpsgen/?
>>
File: Cheatsheet.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
Cheatsheet.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>49213947
>>
>>49213389
Default HP on a heavy shield is pretty robust, enough that you don't need to worry -too- much about it poofing into splinters fast.

This one isn't bad. The picture for hit locations is a weird choice, but otherwise it's fine.
>>
>>49211191
>>49212064
Jojoing is going to require a lot of points, omae. Stands are usually bought as Allies, though, so you can offload all of the point costs onto it instead. Jojos are generally high point mundanes before their Stand allies factor in, which should cost 60~80 points.

Alternatively, instead of the 80-point Extra Arm or 85-point Extra-Flexible Extra Arm (what were your modifiers when you calculated 100+ point cost, BTW?), you could simply get a 15-point Extra-Flexible Extra Arm and seven levels of Stretching (Extra Arm only, -40%) for 26 points, a total of 41 points. That means you're going to need to take seven seconds to stretch your Hermit Purple out to the full ten yards, of course, but that might be a fun limitation to work with.

You could also talk with your GM about a limitation that removes the +1 *per die* to swing damage, which should easily be worth -60% to -80% on the Long enhancement to make it a more reasonable +20~40%, making the reach-10 extra flexible Hermit Purple 29~43 points.
>>
File: rpmCheatSheet.pdf (1B, 486x500px)
rpmCheatSheet.pdf
1B, 486x500px
>>49213389
I just made this like two days ago for Ritual Path Magic.
>>
>>49214290
>>49213947
Meant to respond to this
>>
>>49202297
Unbalanced is a negative trait, and a bad one. You lose versatility and options in return for lower cost and a modest increase in damage.

Unready is a MUCH worse trait. Having to Ready after every attack is very bad and acts as a very solid check to polearms.

Swords do have the advantage that they tend to do Thrust IMP damage, so they never get stuck.

>>49204195
Stuck is typically a bad thing, you know.
>>
>>49214457
>a bad thing
I don't see stuck being a bad thing. Roll ST to pull it free on your turn and get free damage, or (generally) win the ST QC when the target tries to move away, or tie and get your free damage anyways. If you do fail, just pull out your spare weapon that you have because only idiots don't carry spare weapons.

As a GM, I'd rule that, if the target pulls free and has a pick stuck in them, or you leave it in them, they'd suffer penalties as a minor distraction until it's pulled out. Three pounds of awkwardly shaped metal and wood shoved into your torso, armpit, etc. should have some effect on your ability to fight, beyond what damage it's already done.

Yeah, it does reduce the total number of actions you have in a combat. That's generally bad. If you need to take down a person every round, well, you probably will take down someone with your first hit just by virtue of swing impaling, but pulling it out will slow you down. In those situations, however, you'd probably be using your backup weapon, like a hatchet/throwing axe or knobbed club.
>>
>>49214761
And of course, I forgot to bring up Technical Grappling inflicting unspendable CP equal to basic damage, which lets you shove people, force them to change posture, and inflict pain with injury as bonus to Trained ST. Yeah, I think stuck is at least a wash.
>>
Would you recommend GURPS to a kind-of newbie? I've not played yet, but I've sat through a couple DnD 5e games and I've been on /tg/ for several years, so it's not like this is foreign (Even looked into GURPS once or twice) but I'm not overly accustomed to everything either.
>>
>>49215361
I think that it is a pretty good choice. You can get GURPS Lite and just use that for your game, expanding outwards when you feel like it. Learning it isn't too hard, especially compared to 5e and its ilk. Is there a specific genre or type of campaign that you are looking to run?
>>
>>49215391
Nah, not really. I've only ever really looked into setting-specific stuff like D&D and shit before now, so I thought I'd branch out a little. I like the versatility available with systems like this.
>>
>>49215391
Actually, now that I'm looking through the mega, what edition should I use? Is fourth the most current?
>>
>>49215474
Yep, 4th is the most current. It is generally considered to be better than 3e in every way, especially as character creation is a lot easier thanks to templates. I would recommend using GURPS Lite or GURPS Characters and creating a character to get a hang of things. Creating a character is probably the hardest part of GURPS. The rest of the game runs pretty smoothly.
>>
>>49215504
How's the game handle customization/homebrew stuff? If you know what you're doing, anyway. Just in case there's something not in any of the source books, however rare that may be.
>>
>>49215584
It is very easy to set up home brew. Making equipment and making new templates/character creation options is straightforward. Doing actual game design is going to be harder, but not moreso than in any other system.
>>
>>49215584
Pretty well IMO. The existing rules are flexible enough you can almost always get a reasonable facsimile of want you want and eyeball the rest without too much issue.
>>
>>49215632
>>49215635
Cool, cool, thanks.

From the general .pdf, it says it's based mostly around 'heroic realism'. If I want my fantasy weeb knights to be able to swing around trees and take off the arms of big bad monsters with their bear hands and eat arrows for breakfast, will that be possible with the right supplements? Taking into account the bad guys would be able to as well. I like realism (And prefer it most often), but grand fantasy is cool sometimes too.
>>
>>49214200
This one is pretty choice, but it could use better formatting. It's got a lot of walls of texts which is kinda annoying when you wanna look up a specific rule.
>>
>>49215747
Absolutely. Raise the point level and allow some supernatural advantages/disadvantages. I'd say... 300 points, maybe? 150-200 is roughly equivalent to a level 1 D&D character, but it doesn't scale linearly. A small point increase can be a big deal.
>>
>>49215747
Yep, though what you're looking for is less of a rules thing and more of a powerlevel thing; if you give your players a starting budget of 750 character points, you're going to see some extreme shit regardless of the campaign's realism.

The only issue is that spending so many points is a CHORE unless you dump 90% of your budget into ST or a single expensive power like Altered Time Rate 5. It's why supers is an unpopular genre for GURPS games; spending the 2000 points required takes forever even for players with a lot of system mastery. Templates are a solution, but that means that YOU will be the one slogging through it instead.
>>
>>49215584
GURPS comes out of the box with an analogue for like 90% of fiction and suggestions on how to model it most effectively, so it's easy to forget that it also has guidelines for creating what's necessary to model the remaining 10%.

I can go ahead and play and run any other game, and I'll have a jolly good time, I'm sure. But if I had my pick I'd go with GURPS almost every time. I need MAID for the rest of the times.
>>
>>49215845
>>49215860
Yeah, looking around and I can see some complaints about the superpower thing. 'S all good though. Looks promising. I'd kinda been avoiding GURPS in general because it seemed like the /b/ of TTRPGs, but that seems kinda stupid, looking back on it.

>>49215861
Yeah, I don't know why I didn't assume it'd have the resources for that.
>>
>>49215747
Depends on how weeb you go, but good books to do this are Martial Arts, Powers, Supers, and Power-Ups 1: Imbuements (weeaboo fitan' magic, basically). Point totals are going to be huge (think 1000+) and rules are going to be light.
>>
Do you love Sorcery?
>>
>>49216093
I love Ritual Path Magic!
>>
>>49214761
>Carry more picks!

Most ways you'd have a pick on you would give DX penalties for awkward crap, like a lanyard from your waist or require you spend 5-10 Ready maneuvers taking it out of a pack. A generous ST might let you carry one shoved though a belt, but even then that seems very award.

>Likely take down.

TL 3, a target in typical DR 4 armor gets hit by an average man with a pick. Let's give it a high average damage of 5, for 1 penetrating damage and 2 to the torso. IMP damage in general is very swing-ey. Hits either tend to do minor damage or tons.

It's not a world ender like a halbrid.

And you give up the option to go for a limb shot and take someone out of the fight that way if they've got heavy armor only on the torso and head. IMP damage is worse then CUT when you hit someone in the leg hoping to end the fight fast.

It's not that it reduces your options, it means that if you fail that ST roll you've wasted two ready actions and spent two seconds next to someone without a weapon in hand.
>>
>>49216595
I started to slightly dislike RPM, mostly because of Path of Matter which is broken as fuck and needs more guidelines.
>>
>>49217314
>Carry more picks!
The skill is Axe/Mace, not Pick. Carry hatchets, knobbed clubs, maces, sickles, whatever. Your impaling wounding modifier when you're fighting the undead? An active hindrance.

Also, what about a pick means you can't carry it at your side? You can't fast-draw it, sure, but no number of picks means it takes more than one Ready maneuver.

>TL3, typical DR 4 armor
Heavy layered leather torso armor is $525 and weighs 35 lbs., the cheapest DR 4 you get at TL3. At TL3, that's an insane investment for a vast number of people. The typical soldier would be wearing padded/layered cloth and relying on a shield and their brothers in arms to keep them alive. DR2 is more likely.

5 damage isn't high average, that's average for a pick (sw+1, 10 ST, 1d+1 imp).

That means you're doing 3 penetrating, 6 injury, a major wound on a 10 ST human, and another three pulling it out, putting them down to 1 HP, which means halved move and dodge.

Impaling damage is not any more "swing-ey" than any other wounding modifier. 1 point of imp is 2 injury, while 1 point of cut is 1. 5 imp is 10 injury, 5 cut is 7 injury. 10 imp is 20 injury, 10 cut is 15 injury.

>Attacking limbs
And, if you go cutting, you give up attacks to the vitals, eyes, and chinks in armor.

>Heavy torso/head armor
Chinks, which picks get a reduced penalty to target because they were designed to fuck up niggas in rigid armor. Severing arteries and nerves in the armpit is going to end the fight even faster than hacking at their limb, since now they have no DR and are going to take x3 damage from a vitals hit.

An aside: Why are you trying to cut their leg to end the fight, and not their weapon arm or hand?

>if you fail that ST roll
That's a big if. ST 13~14 isn't unreasonable on 150 point characters meant to go on the front lines. That weapon in their hand isn't going to do them any good with a major wound (AKA roll HT to avoid knockdown and stunning, at -5 with a proper armpit chink shot).
>>
I'm a new to GURPS GM and I find combat the most tedious, slow, and confusing part of a session, even when I'm only using rules lite. How do I streamline that shit? Are there any official rules about making combat into a Contest or something?
>>
>>49217967
>even when I'm only using rules lite
*even when I'm only using combat lite
>>
>>49217967

How is it confusing?
It's just roll hit, roll defense (with optional step back retreat), roll damage, roll potential HT check if HP goes negative.

It's less legwork than most systems.
>>
>>49217967
That sounds almost directly opposed to what I experience. Typically, by the second session of combat lite, everyone is already used to the same old dance of 3d6 under your skill to hit, 3d6 under skil to defend. What's slowing you down, anon?
>>
>>49218099
>>49218121
Just a couple things, maneuvers and scenarios that aren't mentioned in the Basic Set. Not like, a lot of things. "most confusing part of a session"-- that's a relative statement, it's not like I said it was really confusing or anything.

But seriously it gets on my nerve, is there anything about making combat a contest? Anything at all? It's the universal system, right?
>>
File: 1472044333835.png (2MB, 1050x2502px) Image search: [Google]
1472044333835.png
2MB, 1050x2502px
>>49218201

Just make it a contest. Compare weapon skills, decide victors.

The reason combat systems are usually set apart is that they tend to have lethal outcomes, so people are usually not happy about leaving it to a single diceroll (that and the fact that combat is a main appeal to many systems).

If you are fine with handling the outcome of combat based on a single roll, then do so.

Alternatively you could look at how dungeon world does it. Refitting that system to GURPS shouldn't be that difficult.
>>
>>49218201
What's so tedious, slow, and confusing about this?

>Turn 1, Bob and Dob are one yard away from each other. Each ready their swords.
>Turn 2. Dob has a higher base speed, so he attacks first, rolling against his skill with 3d6. He hits.
>Turn 2a. Bob rolls his against his sword's parry for an active defense, he fails.
>Turn 2b. Dob rolls damage, and gets a 4. Swords are cutting, so this is 6 injury. Bob has a -4 Shock penalty to everything except defenses next round, and must roll HT to resist knockdown and stunning
>Turn 2c. Bob succeeds on his roll to resist knockdown and stunning, and takes an all-out defense maneuver, choosing to dodge and parry, since his skill's tanked from Shock.
>Turn 3. Dob attacks again, and succeeds.
>Turn 3a. Bob rolls his two defenses, both failing.
>Turn 3b. Dob rolls damage, gets max damage, a 7, which is 10 injury.
>Turn 3c. Bob's now at -6, meaning he has to roll HT to not fall unconscious. He fails.
>Turn 4. Dob decides he really doesn't like Bob and starts hacking at his body until Bob fails his death checks. Dob wins.

Seriously, I want to know.
>>
>>49218201

Oh yeah, in case your players and your NPC:s are running around with +18 skill and +12 skill. In that case combat will bog down without some options that GURPS lite omitted.

>Deceptive attack: For every -2 you take on your attack, reduce opponent's defenses by -1
>Feint: Do a quick contest of weapon skill between the target and you. If you fail or lose the contest, nothing happens. If you win the contest, add your margin of victory as a penalty to the opponent's active defenses on your next attack.
>>
>>49218226
Of course it shouldn't be a Quick Contest, that's why I just said Contest. "Regular Contest" is what the book calls it. That makes it feel a little more earned. But then I'm not sure how guns vs melee works or damage.

>>49218285
I just don't find it fun. What do you want me to say? Violence is a part of most settings but turn after turn of hacking and slashing puts me to sleep, even when I throw in interesting gimmicks, so unless I make some weird setting where all the players are blood-sworn to be pacifists or something then players will find combat. I want to be able to feature and resolve it quick enough that it doesn't suck out a big chunk of time better spent on more fun modes of adventure. Roll roll roll damage damage damage just does nothing for me. I tune out.
>>
>>49218367
>I just don't find it fun.
Consider just running noncombat GURPS, then? It's perfectly capable of handling that.

I don't see how anyone would find combat distilled into a regular contest enjoyable.
>>
File: se7en[1].gif (478KB, 500x226px) Image search: [Google]
se7en[1].gif
478KB, 500x226px
>>49218436
>Consider just running noncombat GURPS
This.

We play high-tech (relatively modern) and our games are like 95% noncombat. The bit of combat is usually A shoots B and that's about it. Three shots from a revolver in the back and it's over so quickly most people don't even react. All cloak and dagger.
>>
>>49217878
>DR 4 is too expensive for the majority..

Yet it's the exact armor of most men at arms and late Imperial Legions with Cheap Heavy Mail.

The average of 1d+1 is 4.5. Rounding up out of generosity yields 5.

>Targeting chinks

- 8 to negate 2 DR is a stupid way to fight.

>If you have ST 14

If you have ST 14 the pick should be traded in for a real fight ender like a halberd.

ST 14 runs into a problem: It's not crazy hard to get, but if you have it you are likely a decent point value PC.

That means if you do face people in cheap light mail for DR 2 or hardened leather anachronism armor you are facing a LOT of them as cheap, disposable fodder. A pick's about the worst weapon in the world for that.

>Impaling damage is not any more "swing-ey" than any other wounding modifier.

IMP damage is doubled or tripled, if you hit the right location, but deals less damage then CUT everywhere else. IMP weapons also tend to have serious drawbacks, being Unbalanced or Unwieldy and with their own Gets Stuck rule.

A pick isn't an awful weapon but it's one of those ones where you have to be very aware of the drawbacks. The ideal targets for them are also the places most people are going to put their heaviest armor.
>>
>>49218367
>turn after turn of hacking and slashing puts me to sleep
Go for the eyes Boo! Go for the eyes!

Seriously though. If you're doing turn after turn of hacking and slashing you're doing something very, very wrong (maybe not mechanically wrong, maybe narratively wrong). Step up the (small 'm') maneuvering game. Back your opponent into a corner and then staple him there with your main-gauche or shoulder check him as he retreats along the wall and passes the window. Relentlessly hack away causing him to retreat and (because he's not looking) trip over the log you've been backing him towards. Move and Attack (even with the crappy skill cap, the swing is just for luck anyway) to get cover between you then taunt him so he closes angry while you Evaluate (and maybe the GM RPs his anger and opens up an AoA).

Every system has boring as shit combat if you just roll some dice, compare some numbers, yawn, then pass the dice.
>>
File: 1472132615285.jpg (474KB, 1148x800px) Image search: [Google]
1472132615285.jpg
474KB, 1148x800px
>>49218367

You can try some variant of Dungeon World then.

Combat:
>Roll relevant combat skill
>Success: you deal your damage.
>Failure: The monster deals it's damage to you (minus armor).

Combat NPC:s have only 3-4 statistics: Their damage, their HP (and armor) and the penalty they apply to your skill.

For instance: Goblin, 1d+3 dmg, 8hp, 1dr, -2 to skill

Which means that if a fighter with 16 in skill have to fight a goblin, he rolls against skill 14, success and he gets to roll his damage to the goblin, otherwise the goblin deals 1d6+3 damage to him.

Consult Dungeon World for how to set up combat scenarios in general (1 second turns in this system is largely irrelevant and the combat should flow more "narratively" instead).
>>
>>49218529
This for sure. An important thing I think to avoid drawn out fights (unless it's something like a fencing duel) is to have people TAKE RISKS.

Yeah you only got a 9 on that determined fast swing, but if you succeed it might finish the fight. Go big or go home. Live on the edge. In the heat of combat it's perfectly reasonable. Go for the throat, quick strikes, feints, all out attacks.

I'd rather have two people with big penalties going for what is practically killshots every turn than two at 14+ attack and defense simply fencing (again unless that's the point).
>>
>>49218436
Look if the answer to my question of "Are there any official rules about making combat into a Contest or something?" is "No" then just come out and say it. I'll just houserule it. I just figured GURPS would have me covered but I guess fast combat doesn't take precedent over like, bow crafting algebra.
>>49218507
Too late and too limiting.
>>49218529
>>49218596
It was hyperbole. Not that having epic movie-like combat works with the pacing of a game with more than like two players.
>>49218546
Dungeon World is tons of fun, but what you propose-- wouldn't that screw up the balance of dodge and DX and whatnot? What about uneven group fights?
>>
File: 1472277733783.png (4MB, 2400x1866px) Image search: [Google]
1472277733783.png
4MB, 2400x1866px
>>49218616

>Dungeon World is tons of fun, but what you propose-- wouldn't that screw up the balance of dodge and DX and whatnot? What about uneven group fights?

Obviously it will screw up the balance on speed/dodge. But that's the price of simplifying combat. You can try reworking dodge I guess. Make dodge be DX+HT/5 (so 10 DX + 10 HT gives you dodge 4 any failure by less than margin 4 halves incoming damage before DR).

As for multiple opponents, just threat that as "a swarm of goblins. HP 24, dmg 2d6, skill -6, note: every 8 HP lost by the swarm reduces damage by 1 and skill penalty by -2"
>>
>>49218511
>out of generosity
It's not out of generosity; it's how you round dice.

>Yet it's the exact armor of most men at arms and late Imperial Legions
You mean the imperial legions that fell two hundred years before 600 c.e., the start of TL3? Okay.

>Stupid way to fight
You wouldn't even be able to target chinks on flexible armor like mail. Chinks are there to exploit on heavily armored enempies. TA (Axe/Mace Swing/Vitals) is more cost-effective.

>should be traded in for a real fight ender like a halberd.
Why? Halberds are two-handed (no shield), require a Ready action after every attack (an aditional one if you swing it as a pick), require a Ready maneuver to change reach, cost more, and weigh a lot more. Halberds are nice if you're comfortable sitting behind the shield user, knowing that they're your only line of defense.

>A pick's about the worst weapon in the world for that.
If you're facing two opponents or more at once, there's no good weapon, only less bad options. If you need a parry, that's what your other weapons are for. Notice that I'm talking about somebody with a full compliment of weapons, cutting, crushing, and impaling? Because each of them have their job.

>everywhere else
Cutting cannot target the vitals or eyes. Both get x4 on skull. Neither get a wounding modifier for the face (impaling hits skull on 1 in 1d6). Both have x2 to the neck. Impaling has x2 to the groin, cutting has x1.5. Arms and legs, cutting egdes out with x1.5. Impaling has x2 to the torso (hits vitals on 1 in 1d6), cut as x1.5. Both get their WMs for hands and feet. Cut's better?

>serious drawbacks
There are ways to mitigate the "serious" drawbacks. Shields, defensive attacks, and the Dwarven modifier (depending on your game) are a few. Getting stuck is not a drawback, as I've explained earlier. There are situations where you might not want it, but those situations aren't universally applicable.

>ideal targets...heaviest armor
Boom, chinks. We've come full circle.
>>
>>49218850
Halberd is more versatile and doesn't unready if you thrust and it can cut. It can be switched to staff mode for enchanted defense, has more reach and most importantly: Hits hard enough to be worth using a swing/imp weapon. There are damn few armor options that can protect from it.

Shields are another thing you really want to watch out for if you Pick. A GM that uses damage to shields can end up with you Stuck in a shield doing no effective damage to a homogonous target.

Cut damage isn't better, it's different. If you want a novelty weapon I'd say a pick is a worst choice then most.
>>
File: 1471999812372.png (730KB, 889x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1471999812372.png
730KB, 889x1000px
>>49218661

Alright, since I'm not aware of any simplified GURPS systems (I bet there are if you just look in the right Pyramid though), I'm homebrewing one for you GM:s who want fast and satisfying combat solutions based on what I just posted. This system is based partially on Dungeon World, partially on Ryuutama and partially on some underlying GURPS matemathical principles.

Some sacrifices need to be made when you simplify GURPS. Obviously all advanced combat techniques goes down the drain; speed, move and retreat no longer exists; one second turns are no longer a thing; if you want ranged rules, you'll have to rework ranged weapon statistics a bit. You can keep DR and damage types though, a lot of the weapon statistics if you want. If you don't want to keep them I recommend making all weapons cost 100-500$ depending on their damage bonus (+1=100$). You can reduce the cost of HT or DX if you think the loss of speed is significant, but personally I feel DX and HT are good enough even without it. I also recommend speeding up natural HP recovery with this system if there's no healing magic in the setting.

Weapon skills are replaced by wildcard skills* called "Combat Style!". A combat style is a handful of ways of fighting (for instance: by sword, lance and fist!) and as long as the player is armed with a weapon from his style he may roll it. Otherwise he rolls Combat Style -4. Combat style governs all things attacking and defending.
*Wildcard skills are very hard skills that require x3 the points to improve.

NPC stats now simplified into HP, DR, dmg and [skill penalty]. For instance, a goblin might look like this:
>Goblin: 8HP, 1DR, 1d6 imp dmg, -2 skill.
A swarm of enemies might look like this:
>Goblin bros: 24 HP, 1DR, 1d6+2 imp dmg, -4 skill. Note: Every 8 HP lost reduces damage and skill penalty by 1.
(note that truly inept opponents could be represented with a skill bonus instead of a skill penalty!).

part 1
>>
>>49217967
>How do I streamline that shit? Are there any official rules about making combat into a Contest or something?

It involves a bit of work up-front, but you can really speed things up by using Heroes on the Mass Scale from Pyramid 84.

Simplified version: calculate each PC's troop strength as follows:

(Best Active Defence + Best Combat Skill + Average Injury from Attack* + Average DR** + FP + HT + Move + Will + A*** + B**** + C***** -48) / 2

* against an unarmoured human torso.
** on head, torso, arms and legs.
*** A is equal to 1 for Combat Reflexes plus 1 per 5 points in other combat relevant advantages not already covered.
**** B is equal to the square root of (HP-10).
***** C is equal to Acc+2 if you have a ranged weapon, 0 otherwise.

Then calculate the enemy's TS using the normal Mass Combat rules (or just use 0.3 per man for low-tech opponents and 4 per man for high-tech ones).

If you have a 50% TS advantage add +2 to your combat roll. If you have a 2:1 TS advantage add +4, +6 for 3:1 and so on. Reverse these modifiers if the enemy has an advantage. If you have fire superiority (significantly more ranged weapons than the enemy) add another +2 (-2 if the enemy has fire superiority). If the enemy have a leader with Tactics skill, take a penalty equal to their skill -10.

Then roll the PCs' best Tactics skill. On a success, they win (losing 20% of their hit points). On a ordinary failure, they have to flee (losing 10% x margin of failure hit points, minimum 20%). On a critical success they win without any injury. On a critical failure, they reduced to -1 x HP and taken prisoner.

Alternatively, use the Mass Combat rules to resolve a slightly more detailed fight with multiple turns, etc.
>>
File: 1437138162068.jpg (191KB, 600x884px) Image search: [Google]
1437138162068.jpg
191KB, 600x884px
>>49219600

(Well, underlying GURPS mathematical principles might be a bit of hyperbole)

part 2

Combat looks as following:
>Players' turn: Choose between attacking, moving around or ready:ing
>If move: Move where you want to go! If ready:ing: Ready what you want to ready!
>If you choose attack: roll combat style, penalized by the monster's skill penalty!
>Success: deal your damage to the monster (minus the monster DR)
>Failure: the monster deals it (minus your DR).

>Monsters' turn: Monster chooses between attacking, moving around or readying.
>Moving around or ready are as above.
>Attacking forces a player into rolling his combat skill!
>If success: Player deals his damage to the monster.
>If Failure: Monster deal its damage to the player
>Note: Only monsters who haven't been attacked (by melee) may chose to attack or move.

Optional shield rule: A shield still provides DB. If you fail your combat roll within the margin of the DB you only take half damage (before DR). Likewise, if a monster carries a shield you need to beat its DB or else you only deal half damage yourself!
Optional rule of convinience: If the player's effective skill is +18 after all penalties and this is unlikely to change, simply end the combat with player victory automatically.
>>
File: 1471226898670.jpg (483KB, 914x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1471226898670.jpg
483KB, 914x1200px
>>49219612

part 3

Optional ranged, movement and combat grid rules:
This is how you should do it if you want to differentiate ranged weapons, spells and attack advantages from melee weapons (ignore this rule if you don't really care about the spatial relationship between monster and man!).

Take a normal paper and section it off into several strips using a ruler. The two middle strips of the paper are the "melee distance", and the strips expanding towards the end of the paper are "close distance" and so on. Half of the paper is the "player section" and half of it is the "monster" section.
Only players in the melee distance

Distance now looks as following:
>Player Extreme (-15 ranged penalty)
>Player Long (-11 ranged penalty)
>Player Medium (-7 ranged penalty)
>Player Short (-3 ranged penalty)
>Player Close (0 ranged penalty)
>Player Melee (ranged attacks impossible)
>Monster Melee (ranged attacks impossible)
>Monster Close (-0 ranged penalty)
>Monster Short (-3 ranged penalty)
>Monster Medium (-7 ranged penalty)
>Monster Long (-11 ranged penalty)
>Monster Extreme (-15 ranged penalty)

When you chose to move on the distance map, you either chose to take a step closer or further away from the melee distance, OR you chose to move a monster a step closer or further away from the melee distance. Likewise monsters can choose to do the same to you!
A new action is also possible: aiming. With aiming you get your aim bonus to attack. For every additional turn after that, add another +1 to accuracy.

When you attack someone with a ranged weapon, you must apply both monster and ranged penalty. A miss though will not damage you unless the monster had a ready ranged attack of its own.
>>
File: 1437822383517.jpg (312KB, 1400x1798px) Image search: [Google]
1437822383517.jpg
312KB, 1400x1798px
>>49219620

part 4 and final

Ranged weapons have new rates of fire.
>Modern guns can attack every turn until they run out of ammo and need one turn to ready new ammunition.
>Bows can attack one turn and then needs to ready an arrow next turn before they can attack again.
>Crossbows can attack one turn and need two turns to ready again before the next shot.
>Spells and advantages depends. Usually you need to spend a turn to ready the spell and the next to cast it.

Special spells that causes conditions to monster either incapaciate them completely or they reduce the skill penalty the monster has (for instance if you cause severe pain to a goblin, it's usual -2 penalty is turned to a +2 one!). Some spells might hinder monsters in other ways (for instance stopping them from moving).

Well, there you have it. A simplified GURPS combat system for the weird fetishist that are into that. No doubt this system needs a lot of tweaking, but maybe it can act as a source of inspiration for your own homebrewing?
>>
>>49219602

EDIT: if you have an automatic weapon, add your rapid fire bonus to your combat skill and multiply average injury from your attack by (1+ rapid fire bonus). Assume a rapid fire bonus of 2 if you can't be bothered to look it up.
>>
>>49219628

errate

Fugg, forgot about dying. Either use vanilla rules, or make simplified ones:
>When you go negative HP, roll HT. Success you stay conscious.
>For every hit you take thereafter, roll another HT check with stacking -2 penalty per hit you've taken.
>If you fail your HT you are unconscious/bleedingbadly/dying/dead. GM's choice.
>>
>>49219602
>>49219644
EDIT 2: also add a penalty to your TS equal to your encumbrance level (-1 at light, -2 at medium, etc).
>>
>>49186462
yeah, that'll be easy
gurps isn't very complicated in its base mechanics, it's just the kind of stuff you can do with those mechanics

basically, it's 3d6 roll under a target number, which is conveniently written on your sheet (as your related skill's level)
modifiers might fiddle them up a bit since they change the target number and not the roll, but other than that, it's fine.

you might have a bit of trouble herding them through character creation if you're not great at explaining things (i've noticed people tend to find determining skill levels a little arcane at first, partially due to the difficulty level thing)
the fact that the game doesn't make any assumptions about your character's abilities will be a little weird too if they come from D&D style games where adventurers know how to do everything their 'class' does by default (i've heard of people not putting any points into weapon skills because they thought they'd get a BAB to handle that)

but when you do put those points in, you'll be assumed to be at least vaguely capable of everything in that skill - a guy with one point in broadswords will be able to attempt deceptive attacks, parries, disarms, and all that other guff, and might even be good at it if his base attribute is high.

but yeah, i'd recommend going through basic set and picking out a 'recommended' list of traits and skills, putting it all neatly formatted into a word document, and bringing that for character creation
i started doing that for my groups and it definitely helped - it meant they weren't flicking through my book all the time or fiddling with my laptop, for one, and that they weren't finding weird skills designed for advantages that they wouldn't ever take.

i think i might have rambled.
oh well.
>>
>>49219600
>Goblin: 8HP, 1DR, 1d6 imp dmg, -2 skill
That's pretty much my stock stat block already (except your -2 skill is "skill: 12").

>>49219602
>On an ordinary failure, they have to flee
Your game. My players would revolt.

>>49219612
So, choose your maneuver, move, roll to hit, deal or take damage. You've removed one active defense roll, made the damage roll always happen instead of maybe happen, and made it so you can take damage during your own attack. Am I reading that right? You've saved 1/2 a roll.

I skipped through 3 & 4. I'm not seeing any real time savings or benefit. But, hey, if it works for you and is fun then run with it and more power to you.

If I were going to simplify GURPS combat to take out the action movie I'd:
* Make each side pick a leader. Everybody else gets to roll a complementary skill (+2 to leader on crit success, +1 on success, -1 on failure, -2 on crit fail).
* Do that again for the other side.
* Both leaders roll a Regular Contest. Winner wins. Loser loses. Narrator narrates.
* Part of 'Narrator narrates' is resource cost for both sides. Probably something like "Take 50% of your HP in Injury and lose 50% FP. Winner subtracts 5% from the 50% for each point the leader's skill succeeded by. Loser adds 5% for each point the leader's skill failed by."
>>
>>49220323

No, I personally just use ordinary GURPS. I just made this system as a response to the guy who complained about the vanilla system.

The major time saving benefit of this system is that most rolls are player side (so less turn dribbling) and that damage is almost guaranteed to happen. Since damage is guaranteed to happen, combat won't have any stalemate turns, thus finishing faster.

The system also includes some simple swarm rules to keep epic, multiple opponent battles in check.

Stalemate turns and multiple opponents are in my experience the biggest drain of time.
>>
>trying to create noble fencer
>ended up with dishonorable criminal
>it's a 3rd such character in a row
>>
>>49220361
Gotcha. With all the anonery I couldn't tell if you were the other anon or not.

I just don't have the problem with "stalemate" turns I guess. I've played the spectrum of points from 15 to 1,500 and it's been pretty rare to have any pointless bashing.

I did make sure to teach my players that they shouldn't be swinging for the fences every turn but should build up to an action over a couple of turns since the turns are so short. I'm also brutal about dicking around during combat ("Your turn is now, use it or lose it. [then, in my head '5.. 4.. 3.. 2.. 1..' and still not even starting to make a declaration?] OK. You 'Do Nothing.' Next.")

I give them all the help and tools they need or can come up with to be badasses (or incompetent cowards as they choose). Figuring out exactly what that means should *not* happen during combat. I'm more than happy to help with rules and tactics and strategy during or outside a session. As long as the 1-second combat rounds aren't ticking.

Sorry for the rant, I'm actually having this conversation with a new player sort of simultaneously. More of it spilled over than I intended. Rather than delete this wall of text, I'll just point him here.
>>
>>49220488

My players play smart most of the time. They are just incredibly unlucky with their rolls most of the time, leading to stalemates even when it seems statistically implausible.

The roll20 dice engine is one hell of a wonder machine. I'm convinced macros can actually somehow bug the diceroller in it.
>>
>>49220323
>>On an ordinary failure, they have to flee
>Your game. My players would revolt.

Fighting to the death or surrendering should obviously be allowed, but it rather defies the point of a one-roll combat resolution system if the PCs can't be beaten in any way.
>>
>>49220555
>incredibly unlucky with their rolls most of the time
I have one player who is cursed like this. Impulse Buys and Luck are his go to purchases for every character. He says GURPS is the first game that has let him be useful in spite of being hated by RNGesus.

It really is him. I use either fair dice or a hardware generator I build a few years ago. Either he really is cursed or he is a latent teke who is subconsciously mildly masochistic.
>>
>>49220648
>can't be beaten
Beaten is fine by them. Forced into an action? No way.
>>
>>49185066
Depends on the mood of the game.

The biggest hurdle for strictly realistic stereotypical "GURPS" game can come to a grinding halt on the advent of the internet combined with a personal computer, after that another hurdle is the modern cellphone only to be topped by the smartphone.

If a GM can have a game going where all of the above are featured in a way that doesn't limit the players interaction in the world then my hat off to you.

It took me 10 odd years with gurps experience to pull off.

Of course, none of the above is a problem in a pulp modern game, or a military setting.

I'm talking about realistic modern-day scenarios where "weird" things are happening (aliens, urban arcana, SCP, vampires) without "LOL YOUR PHONE IS DEAD xD" events to limit the players options.

I'm talking about the real stuff people can do with their smartphones and the internet, in terms of co-ordination, calculation, intelligence gathering, money $ wiring, video streaming, specific adventure app building, gps/geo-locating. That's just the very OBVIOUS ones, phones are also sometimes equipped with many odd tools that the users are often unaware about, like heat cameras, pressure sensors or even measuring lasers.

It's must easier to have a 99.9% "fantasy-realistic" gritty TL3-4 word going where you map out even the most basic NPC merchants average income from his trading routes, and then calculate the demand from his product based on availability. And going through the same process for every other aspect of the game, like culture, poverty, TL 4 science, warriors, civilians, architecture, messaging systems, etc.

Even the most basic conondrums can be solved using just GURPS and logic; "If a wizard can expend a few FP to make rain/water, why doesn't wizard all start selling their services to farmers and become defacto rulers of the world?"

The above wizard is easy to wrap up, but once you reach into the information age things are getting very tricky to keep under wraps.
>>
>>49215792
You're supposed to alt+f it, or memorize the general location of most things if printed
>>
>>49217678
Explain ?

Everything in RMP is under the DM's control.

What do you mean?
>>
>>49218367
You hate combat.

That's not GURPS fault.
>>
is there a price for salt somewhere?
>>
Biotech P64, about small humans; Which scale would be an MdT-2? i'm trying to make an Hobbit Template
>>
>>49221341

Have you checked Gulliver's Mini v1.1 by T Bone? It goes fairly in depth on making bigger and smaller humanoid.
>>
>>49220923
One GURP$ is supposed to be the price of a loaf of bread (assuming a stable economy and non-famine situation). Looking at my local store, I can get roughly 5.5 pounds of salt for the price of the good/decent brand-name bread (about 3.6 pounds for the price of store-brand, or 26 oz. for the price of the absolutely cheapest ghetto loaf). Going by that, I'd say it has a base price of about $0.25 a pound if my math isn't too off.

Note that this is the BASE price. If you're in a low-tech setting, luxury pricing may affect this (though it probably wouldn't; as far as I know, salt is fairly accessible). If I substitute the price of natural sea salt (and assuming the price jump isn't just due to "all natural" marketing), though, it comes to $1 per 26 oz. or about $0.60 per pound; this may be a more realistic base price for low-tech settings that can only collect salt from seawater.
>>
>>49221586
thanks :D, that's close to what i thought, i was planning to use about 1$ per pound on the mainland interior, far from the coast.
>>
>>49221842
That should be fine. From the coast to an inland area is a respectable distance but not long enough to warrant a huge price increase, and it's not like you need to worry about salt going bad, so a luxury multiplier of <1.5 seems about right.
>>
>>49221586
It's worth noting that GURPS dollars aren't based off of the USD or modern prices, so converting like this isn't always the best idea.

>>49221842
For modern times, a few dollars for a five-pound bag is reasonable, but I assume that you're not talking about TL6~9.

DF8: Treasure Tables has salt (and many other spices) listed as costing $15/oz., making it $240/lb. Price would vary in areas depending on the availability of salt. The majority of salt was mined, and mining salt was very hazardous to one's health. In salt-poor countries, salt could be traded for gold, wives, and slaves. Roman soldiers used to be paid in salt, whence "worth your weight in salt." $0.25/lb would be undercutting salt's price horrifically. If you didn't salt or pickle and you were stuck eating bread, basically. Thankfully, salt was often a government-controlled commodity, because a populace dead from starvation isn't doing anything for you but stinking up the place.
>>
>>49223178
Well I did say that it was the base price and may be subject to luxury pricing. Admitedly I never considered how big the multiplier would be; I also assumed that seasalt was the norm rather than mined salt. Is pulling salt form seawater that difficult?
>>
>>49223634
No, salt evaporation ponds are probably as old as the first civilization settled near sea water.
And if you want a third way to do it, Gauls used to evaporate brackish water in furnaces and use the leftover salt.
>>
So I'm looking at the DF kickstarter and I'm a bit side eying the design?

five books:
Adventure 128 pages
Exploits 112 pages
Spells 80 pages
Monsters 64 pages
Dungeon 24 page adventure

Adventure is character making
Exploits is How to play and DM

Spells, obvious
Monsters obvious.

I like spells being seperate, it's a book that would be handed around a lot.

But it seems like a weird division?

How to make a character and basics of playing should be one book. How to DM and the Monsters in another.

Or
Adventure
Adventure Exploits
Spells
Monsters and DM exploits

Spells and Adventuer Exploits being passed around a lot for rule checking. Stuff that the players aren't supposed to know/don't need to know in the DM book
>>
How balanced is GURPS? I want running a game to be as easy as possible for me so doing a lot of work to balance mechanics or check for brokenness is a no go.
>>
>>49223634
Seawater stood in for/supplemented salt mines. Pulling salt from seawater isn't difficult; just boil it (requires fuel), set up salterns (requires right climate, slow af), pan for it, etc.; it's the rate of production. Seawater's only 3.5% salt by volume. Salt mines produced much, much more salt much, much faster. Liverpool was founded on a salt mine. That said, any -wich town revolved around salt production, typically from brine pools. But the majority of salt produced was definitely from mines, which would make it as (realtively) cheap as it was, compared to other spices, such as pepper.

>>49223943
>I want running a game to be as easy as possible
GURPS might not be for you. GURPS expects the GM to frontload a lot of work, picking and choosing which rules they'll use for that game.

>How balanced?
It is and it isn't. Balance doesn't come from point totals, that's for damn sure. Balance comes from GM oversight and general knowledge. That said, if you don't allow supernatural/exotic/etc. advantages/powers, then you won't have to worry about a lot of complexity, so it'll be much easier to balance. 150 point mundane adventurers are tons of fun without spells or magic or what have you.
>>
>>49224026
>GURPS expects the GM to frontload a lot of work, picking and choosing which rules they'll use for that game.
True, but the various series (MonHun, Dungeon Fantasy, Action, and AtE) do 90% of the legwork.
>>
File: bayonetta.jpg (106KB, 1000x740px) Image search: [Google]
bayonetta.jpg
106KB, 1000x740px
Is it even possible to stat her?
>>
>>49224606
From what little I know of her powers, she'd be trivial to stat up; just expensive. Almost all of her abilities already exist in Basic Set or Gun Fu. I don't know how her magic works, so I won't speak for it.
>>
>>49221404
>DX: Halve SM (round down); subtract that from DX.
>BS: The above DX mod affects BS. In addition, halve SM (round up); subtract that x 0.25 from BS (→B17). Min BS =
this means that on SM -2 i should add 1DX, right?
DX-(SM)
10-(-1)
10+1

and
>BM: Add [SM + above DX mod + 2]. Look up that total in the SM column of SM Table (→B19). Read Yards for that SM as suggested Move, before special considerations (four legs, posture, etc.).
should this give me -1 as result? Am i doing it right?
SM+(DX Mod)+2
(-2)+(-1)+2
-3+2

Base stats is
HM 0.5
ST/HP10
weight 150lbs, 75kg
>>
>>49224606
Sure, it'd just take a while. All of her powers aren't hard to model at all, they're mainly SFX on top of a pretty basic move.
>>
>>49224764
Yep. Big creatures are slower and clumsier but have longer legs so they cover distance faster, and the inverse is true for small creatures.
>>
So /gurpsgen/ ive been playing Doom wads and its got me thinkin, what would it take to rip or cut someone in half in GURPS. Dismemberment requires double crippling damage. The spine is the only crippleable part in the torso and requires HP damage. So would that mean HP × 2 damage would be enough to bisect someone?
>>
>>49225383
I'd say only if they fail their HT roll to survive. I would treat it as a special effect for a failed death roll, similar to decapitation. The only way for it to be a sure thing is to deal HPx6, which brings them down to the automatic-death no-rolls-allowed threshold.
>>
>>49225383
Maybe repurpose over penetration rules and apply them to cutting damage?
>>
>>49225383
Special effect on death, instant at -5xHP. That requires ST 38 with a chainsaw "upgraded" to be ST 35‡ (because melee damage caps at ST*3) and weapon master (chainsaw) to achieve torso bisection 50% of the time on a 10 ST, 10 HP target. Should be perfectly doable with an innate attack, however.
>>
>>49225383

Doomguy has a perk that lets him dish out gory finishers.
>>
>>49225642
Ignore that math, I forgot about the HP before 0. ST 51, Chainsaw with ST 17‡, Weapon Master (Chainsaw). Points required: 438, or a gadget innate attack somewhere around 25 points.

I recall chainsaws not immediately bisecting enemies, however; >>49225759 probably has the right idea. It's a special effect of finishing someone off.
>>
>>49225458
The finishers are only avalible when enemies ar at low health, eg, around 0, so HPx5 should do.

>>49225500
This sounds hilarious for a over-the-top action game.
>>
>>49220762
Smartphones have limitations. It's also a tracking device that anyone with a way to reach the phone company can use to find you.

Beyond that, a phone becomes a go-to tool with a lot of options, but shouldn't be game breaking. Make sure to make them roll photography to get a recognizable picture under stress and bad conditions.
>>
Is there somewhere i can find prices for non travel food? daily food, should i just use B265 for this?
>>
>>49223943
>How balanced is GURPS?

By default, hardly at all. It's quite easy to make 'broken' characters.

However, if you only allow characters made from templates it gets a lot more balanced (although obviously you still need to account for the fact that some characters will be better in different situations; a dungeon fantasy knight is going to do better than a thief in a game of nothing but combat, but worse if there is no combat). The pre-made framework series (dungeon fantasy, monster hunters, action and after the end) basically do most of the work for you.
>>
>>49223943
As balanced as you make it by choosing the rules and character options you make available to the players.
>>
Can GURPS do DnD-style fantasy well?
>>
>>49226882
Yes, but I still think 1st edition D&D did it best.
>>
>>49226882

Better than DnD at least.
>>
>>49226882
Literally what the Dungeon Fantasy series is meant to do, and in my opinion is succeeds at emulating the tone of old-school AD&D-era dungeoncrawls perfectly. It's my go-to for people looking to try the system out for the first time.
>>
>>49226882
Yes. You want Basic Set and Dungeon Fantasy 1-3. Low-Tech will be helpful, as will Martial Arts, but everything you need is in Basic Set and DF1-3.
>>
>>49226882

Yes. There's a supplement series called "Dungeon Fantasy" that actively goes for hitting those fantasy hack&slash cliches.

It actually does dnd-style fantasy better than dnd since wizards aren't really allowed to poop on the mundane specialist's porch without the wizard becoming a specialist himself.
>>
>>49226955
>>49226980
>>49227011
>>49227013
>>49227101
This probably isn't the best place to ask, but how do you structure a campaign that works best with that kind of thing? I don't know a whole lot about ad&d pther than it was kinda complicated and was meant speficially for dungeon delving, so should I center a campaign around that or have them do other fantasy shit too? Like, I want the players to do what they want, but I also want the system to do what it's good at.

Haven't ever GMed but I'm looking to, eventually.
>>
>>49227272
>ad&d pther than it was kinda complicated and was meant speficially for dungeon delving

Absolutely false, down to class options including ties to a larger world, consequences and balance mechanisms specifically linked to the setting, and entire chapters on things like resposibilities and rights of priests.
>>
>>49227379
Eh, I dunno. I don't attest to being some kind if d&d scholar or anything. I've not ever played anything myself but I've browsed /tg/ for a few years and GMing has always been interesting to me.
>>
>>49227272
There's a million ways to skin a cat, the laziest way that I used before to get people into things is to have the game in media res... everyone has just reached the first dungeon. That way you can focus on only two small pieces of the game pie at the beginning, learning combat and skill rolls for simple adventure needs, and work on the rest later.

Make sure among the treasures they can find, and that aren't too difficult to find are lotsa money and something really weird that needs an expert to understand it. Both of those are reasons to go back to a town and start learning camping and travelling rules, followed by town social rules.

How to be a GURPS GM is a good general guide to GURPS, but it can e a little superfluous if you want to try Dungeon Fantasy because How to be a GURPS GM is more helpful for creating a campaign and setting rules from whole cloth, which Dungeon Fantasy already does for you.

If you want to play Dungeon Fantasy, I'd recommend starting with GURPS Lite to get the very bare bones rules down. Then go to Dungeon Fantasy 1 (the "player's book") and 2 (the "gm's book") with the Basic Set close at hand for any referenced rules, skills, or advantages that are often referenced in DF1 and 2.
>>
>>49227530
>the laziest way that I used before to get people into things is to have the game in media res
The best, you mean.
Having 5 people supposed to meet but instead insisting they're each brooding in a different corner of the tavern and not doing anything is annoying. And shitty. That can come later. Or better yet, never.
>>
>>49184965
I'm making an RPM mage for the first time, and I have a question about damage spells and greater/lesser effects.

A damaging spell counts as a greater effect, if its damage exceeds the damage an average handheld weapon can do in that tech level. (Another question. Does handheld mean "one-handed", or any easily man portable and fired weapon? Rifles and such?) Either way, let's assume for ease of communication, that this value is 3d6.

1:Does an indirect spells tripled damage, count for this before or after? If I pay the energy cost for a 2d6 damage fireball, but cast it as an indirect damage spell, making the final damage 6d6, is it greater or lesser?
2:Does this apply for spells that aren't directly damage spells, IE: if I use Control Energy to make a nearby bonfire throw itself at him, and the GM says that does 4d6, does that make it a Greater effect, or just lesser because all the spell does is make the flame move, and the damage is an incidental part of it?
2.5: what if I amplify a weapons damage? Say I throw a rock at a guy, and normally the rock would deal 2d6 (We will say I am a swole mage), and I use Strengthen Energy to enhance the kinetic force, adding 2d6 of damage, making the total 4d6, did I cast a greater effect, because I went over 4d6, or lesser because I only "added" 2d6 with the spell?

Non damage related question, as well: What about incidental effects in general? What if I am casting a ritual to make a storm happen to end a draught, and some thugs jump out at me with crossbows just after I finish the spell. Do they get their attack rolls penalized for the wind and rain, even though I didn't pay to apply a skill penalty, or do they get to magically ignore the bad weather because I didn't make it with the intent of penalizing them?

I am probably over thinking thinks, but I wanted to be sure.
>>
File: Untitled.png (70KB, 532x575px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
70KB, 532x575px
>>49199036
His damage kinda sucks so I'm trying to save up 20 points right now to buy two more ST or Weapon Mastery. I'm leaning towards the second option, but I'm not sure right now - increased ST will give me more carrying capacity and HP, but Weapon Mastery will give me improved active defenses, better damage with knives (+2 damage to throwing knives in particular) and improved Rapid Strike. I should also probably buy a Reach Mastery for kusari as soon as possible.
>>
>>49227522
So don't post uninformed opinions. You can use ADnD for things that aren't crawling, and it in fact encourages that in its various option books.
>>
>>49227623
RPM is pretty subjective so it varies from person to person, but of the questions you asked, the one I'm pretty sure that has an absolute answer is that an indirect damage attack is "checked" to see if it is a greater or lesser effect after the tripling of damage... making almost all, even the weakest fireballs count as a greater effect. As for the rest, I'd rule this way if I were GM.

#2: if your sole purpose for controlling an existing fire was to do damage with it, I probably would have made you include the cost of the damage when making the ritual for it. If it happened incidentally, I think canonically, fire does 1d-1 a second (I think, can't remember for sure,) so that's the amount I'd make it do, and I wouldn't have charged you for it. If I had a good reason to think it was going to do 4d, I wouldn't charge for that either.
2.5, I think the rules for bestowing a bonus have different thresholds, so I'd probably instead say... maybe adding 1d or less to damage is a lesser effect, and greater than that is a greater effect.
>>
>>49227824
>that an indirect damage attack is "checked" to see if it is a greater or lesser effect after the tripling of damage... making almost all, even the weakest fireballs count as a greater effect. As for the rest, I'd rule this way if I were GM.
That seems to make direct damage straight up better, rather than less damaging but more reliable. Unless you have a reason to do an obscene amount of damage, a lesser direct damage effect will be cheaper, easier, and more reliable than an indirect damage spell.
>>
>>49227929
I think you are right, but there are a few perks to using a missile instead of direct damage.

1) a missile doesn't require you to take the target into account when creating the spell, so things like weight or connection don't matter. Range is included for free as well, but the default range is kinda weak.
2) that makes it easier to create a generic attack spell for a conditional/charm that can be used on anyone at any time it is needed.
>>
>>49227654
You've got a crazy amount of points in DX only to bulk yourself up to Medium encumbrance, something that kind of kicks your sneaking around in the balls.

Might want Area Knowledge (The city you have a rival gang in) and yeah, more ST would be good. Being light and fast is the way to go when you have that much DX.
>>
>>49228292
Don't pay attention to encumbrance, it comes from the backpack and crossbow. I have no penalty without them. I can free up another 5 lb if I ditch the kusari

>Area Knowledge (The city you have a rival gang in)
Nah, campaign is set in completely different location, character skipped that city quite a long time ago. There is still a possibility that they will send people looking after him, he seriously pissed them off.
>>
>>49227272

My method is pretty simple. I start by introducing the characters together in a dangerous situation where their cooperation lets them prevail.

After the introduction and the characters know each other I set out some plot hooks. Pretty much think of interesting things the characters might want to do and let them hear about it, then pick the one they think sounds like the most fun.

Such as hearing about a dark maze under a ruined home said to hold something that could lift the curse keeping a princess asleep..

A small town to the north that can only be reached by a dangerous road or by sailing up a dangerous river needs food and medicine delivered...

And a rich, vicious baron that revels in hedonism and excess in his castle over a city he vicious oppresses with hired mercenaries. Everyone says he's got a vault overflowing with gold...

Pretty much I do rule of 3, letting the players hear about 3 oppertunites for adventures, then letting them tackle the one they like most.

I make a pile of encounters and obstacles they might face either way, so that I'm ready enough for the first night while they go to work, then between the first and second session I'll prepare much of the rest of the adventure they are going for.

After that it's pretty normal plot structure. I give them a goal, put challenges between them and achieving the goal and sometimes a dramatic plot twist. The players should always get a climax and reward for their work, but it might not be what their characters were expecting.
>>
>>49198694
>>49198621

His point is that if the horse has importance to the story and plot protection, then you buy it with points. If it's just gear then you buy for cash with the understanding that like all gear not bought with points, the GM is free to have it be destroyed in the normal course of adventuring.

The middle ground is Signature Gear, which gets some plot protection but player stupidity is a valid excuse for having it be destroyed.

Basically, you always buy stuff in cash. It's only if you have some particular piece of kit that's important to your character that you bother buying it with points. In exchange, the GM will go out of his way not to fuck with it.
>>
>>49208304

A second TL (like 8 and 5, for example) will reduce a lot of penalties and let you work with both primitive and modern tech (and give you very low penalties on in between tech). You might not always have electricity.
>>
>>49214258

Is that the one from the forums? I think it was originally made by a grill for her own games.
>>
>>49229100
>A second TL
You can take more than one? Wtf?
>>
File: 1450763591744.png (5MB, 1600x1131px) Image search: [Google]
1450763591744.png
5MB, 1600x1131px
>>49229147
Of course. Each tech level is its own bubble of culture, advancement, ideas, and tech. Much carries over or bleeds over, but you'll need a LOT of knowledge and skills to know and work within another tech level below yours.

In addition, many cultures can have the attachment of multiple TLs. Maybe their medicine is only TL5, even if other tech is at TL7. Or tech is at 3, but magic 'tech' is already equivalence TL9.
>>
File: EricBSmith2.jpg (13KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
EricBSmith2.jpg
13KB, 400x400px
>>49229119
You couldn't be further from the truth.
>>
I think a game (call it Wizards & Warlocks) where people play as super wizards would be cool.

I was thinking that players would pick between around 3 or 4 magical traditions of a large set.

The current big list I am thinking of is:

- Mad Science
- Alchemy
- Herbalism
- Ki Power (wuxia martial arts stuff)
- Spirit Magic (appeasing and drawing upon spirits that are all around us)
- Pact Magic (basically warlocks but more complicated because you can make pacts with a bunch of stuff like psychic creatures)
- Psychic Power
- Gnostic Magic (sort of like divine and clerical magic but you don't necessarily need to worship a god)
- Rune Magic
- Ritual Magic (not GURPS Ritual Magic necessarily but just casting spells by waving hands and speaking stuff, probably the most like traditional magery)

I probably want more martial arts traditions as well. Maybe I could add in jedi.

I might also want sorcerors (sort of like classic GURPS magery but with less book learning and more innate magical powers) and demigods.

I am not sure how I'd balance and pick out spells and mechanics for each and every magical tradition to keep them distinct and unique. I might also want much more simplified mechanics than the classic GURPS magic system. I also would not want improvisational magic systems because they are complicated and for this I want simplicity.
>>
>>49230107
Also what supplements would I want?
>>
>>49230140
The simplest solution would be using Powers, and then having the different disciplines have broad access to their themes, but simply have folks buy their powers as advantages direct. No spell lists, but plenty of sorcerers dragon wings, warlock caustic acid spray, and ki master kung fu mastery. Read Powers man, it can help.
>>
>>49230140
Thatumatology + Most of Thaumatology's spinoffs (e.g. Thaumatology: Sorcery) + Powers + Powers's spinoffs (especially The Weird and Divine Favor) + Power-Ups 1: Imbuements.

That's a lot of different subsystems, though, so I'd recommend not running this as your first GURPS game.
>>
>>49230239
>The Weird
That splat doesn't get nearly the love it should. Hands down one of my favorite recent releases.
>>
>>49230239
>>49230184
I might note, all those expanded subsystems are specific examples of what they describe doing in powers. Building custom advantages that specifically make the powers you want your dudes to wield.
>>
>>49230184
>>49230239
>>49230254
>>49230263
I guess I'll look into Powers and see if I can make simplified pastiches of the other stuff.
>>
>>49230254
I can't tell if it is worth buying, and from what it sounds like, it seems like just a catalog of abilities. When did you buy it and how did it help in subsequent games you have run or played?
>>
How would I stat up the ability of Kenshiro from Fist of the North Star to make people's heads explode using Hokuto Ken-Shin?
>>
Should I give my players an attribute cap at the beginning? If so what would be the highest rating they should be able to buy? Im mostly planning an dnd style dungeon crawling with lots of weird races and such.
>>
>>49230950
I'd base it off of Dungeon Fantasy probably? The templates have around about 20 as the max.
>>
Does anyone have the pdf for How to be a GURPS GM? I couldn't find it in the trove.
>>
>>49230702
I think about

- Affliction (Impaling) [27/level]
- Base [10/level]
- Accessiblity (Only on Humans) [-10%]
- Melee Attack (C) [-30%]
- Heart Attack [+300%]
- Delay (0 to 10s) [+10%]

but I'm not sure about some of the details
>>
>>49231015
It's under play aids.
>>
>>49223871
Could be that with the front and back matter added to the material combining those two would put them over some printer restriction.

Could be they just wanted to round the number of books to a nice multiple of 5.
>>
File: 1453543569708.jpg (165KB, 1596x914px) Image search: [Google]
1453543569708.jpg
165KB, 1596x914px
Hello /gurpsgen/,

How would you stat an EXPLOOOOOOSION spell?
>>
>>49231000

This seems about right, you can fairly safely go a bit higher for ST if they're a minotaur or somesuch.
>>
>>49231646

Crushing Innate Attack, add Explosion +50% and Magic -10%. Adjust range and other modifiers as you see fit.
>>
>>49231646
I'm a big fan of the (double knock back) modifier. It's just fun!
>>
What's the strangest thing you've had to stat, or get your GM to stat, for one of your games?
>>
>>49232167
I have a half-finished spreadsheet on the FP, Magery, and time requirements to build a planet from scratch using classic magic. I did actual research on the size and composition of the Earth, speed of rotation, atmosphere depth, biosphere mass, etc...
>>
File: Thaigong2.jpg (435KB, 1256x910px) Image search: [Google]
Thaigong2.jpg
435KB, 1256x910px
>>49232284
Share that thing, man.

>>49232167
One of those huge East Asian bronze gongs. There wasn't a lot to stat actually, it was just estimating the weight and price based on the gong's height. For this I took the bronze church bell in one of the low-tech supplements as a baseline, searched the web for the diameter/width ratio of smaller gongs and also the physical characteristics of bronze (namely density) to calculate the weight and extrapolate the price from there.
>>
>>49232668
>diameter/width
That's diameter/thickness, rather
>>
>>49232668
Turns out I forgot to upload the more complete version, so here's what I have:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/12pA4GdzNU_cs-58x2K4GNNH5IYOPxWdfDqfQbEcjuO0/edit?usp=sharing
>>
>>49232794
That's hilarious, keep up the good work.
>>
File: ss (2016-09-08 at 12.42.05).png (53KB, 1354x455px) Image search: [Google]
ss (2016-09-08 at 12.42.05).png
53KB, 1354x455px
>>49231646
Let me take a crack at it.

https://youtu.be/SM6bnBeKAMo Megumin's ALLAHUACKBAR is roughly the size of the city. I need to find the size of a fantasy city, which means it's time for medieval demographics made easy.
City Size: http://www222.pair.com/sjohn/blueroom/demog.htm 165 acres, which is 7,187,400 square feet.
One-yard hex is 7.79 square feet (6 * 0.5 * 1.5 * 1.5 / sqrt( 0.75 )).
The number of hexes we need is 7,187,400 / 7.79 = 922644.415918, or 922645 hexes, roughly. ((3*r*r)-3*r+1), where r is the radius, which gets us a radius of 556 yards. As we're using EXPLOOOOOOSION 3, we need our average rolled damage to be divisible by 556. The average roll on a d6 is 3.5. We need 159d damage.

After that, the rest is easy. Gadget limitations as she needs a staff, double knockback, limited use, takes extra time, temporary disadvantage (quadriplegic, aftermath) for her rapeability, overhead since it's called from the skies, variable as she can control its output, and increased range for casting purposes.

why the fuck did I do this
>>
>>49234620
I'd scrap Temporary Disadvantage for Costs Fatigue 10 (-50%) or more and trade out Accessibility for a -5% Nuisance Effect.

Also, the Gadget limitations imply that the explosion magic lies in the staff itself rather than best girl; if anything, I'd use Accessibility to represent her needing *a* staff (or other channeling implement) and the staff itself being either mundane or a Gadget that gives a Power Talent.
>>
>>49234620

Rather than a temporary disadvantage I'd just make the spell cost be the same as her total fp pool, since that's the explanation to why she's actually disabled afterwards (the booby lich can cast explosion just fine since she's higher level and got the fp to support it).
>>
>>49234876
>scrap Temporary Disadvantage
I never finished the series. Forgive me.. I don't really like the idea of a Will roll letting her move, since she's been in plenty of situations where she'd roll will to move, but hasn't been able to do so. Her player might just have really shitty luck, or some sort of limitation on not being able to pass will rolls? A quirk, special effect? I was more focused on modeling the spell as cast by Megumin and the effects it causes, not the spell as it exists in-universe, as cast by others, and I never get the chance to use aftermath.

>trade out Accessibility
Nah, chuuniing loudly is cannonically -10% (Powers, 116, Fantasy Abilities, Modifiers).

>Gadget limitations
Yeah, I only realized that two seconds after posting. The accessibility is probably between -10% [1670] and -20% [1590], and I'm leaning towards -20%.

On the bright side, I now have calculations for knowing the exact number of hexes in a radius, and the square footage of each hex. I'm sure that'll come in handy for my future autistic fits that I'm prone to. I also have an explosion spell.
>>
File: plus one.gif (1MB, 200x254px) Image search: [Google]
plus one.gif
1MB, 200x254px
>>49235264
>>49234620
>why did I do this
That's actually pretty detailed anon, thank you for this.
>>
>>49235264
>Such accessibility limitations as “Requires material components,” “Requires gestures,” and “Requires magic words” are common, and worth -10% apiece.
Hot damn and the all-purpose "Cannot use Stealth" is still stuck as a Nuisance Effect at -5%? That's weird as fuck yo, but cannon, so ya got me there.

As for Will rolls, I'd say it's par for course for the entire cast of Konosuba to be rocking a Will of 8 or lower; on the off chance she *does* feel like rolling Will to move around, she probably has a shit chance of passing. I guess you could also use the incredibly punishing Last Gasp rules for handling the shock effects of FP loss, but that seems extreme. I would keep Limited Use 1/day though. Megumin can only cast it once a day, and this seems independent of how rested/active she is; she can cast it, rest for a while, and spend the rest of the day running around like crazy without issue, but she can never cast it more than once in a 24-hour period.
>>
This is not GURPS specific, but it can help the folks homebrewing their own games. Besides it's too short of a question to require its own thread.

I must type a lengthy list of powers, which I want to type first, and order second. What do you do when faced with this situation? Where do you type the powers, and then how do you format the document? Because if I type everything in Word first I may have to do a tedious copypasting of whole blocks of text, which doesn't seem too practical.
>>
>>49235621

Some of the modifiers in Powers are genuinely perplexing. For instance maximum duration is at a minimum of 30 seconds, giving -75%, which makes the disadvantage extreme point crook on any combat abilities like a strength buff.
>>
>>49235544
Thanks. I like statting up stupid abilities, but making this one kept me awake due to aggressively searching for math and limitations. It's out there now, so anyone can tailor it to their needs.

>>49235621
You're probably right on the will rolls.
Yeah, I think the rest of the advantage is pretty solid. I only realized that she was getting a power boost for the final explosion after I was done, but I figure that, when it comes to explosions, it's go big or go home.

>>49235666
Maximum duration is a meme. There's a big ol' thread on the forums about it. Can't recall if it had a fix (or "fix", depending on your point of view). I'd say that maximum duration is one of those modifiers that needs GM approval, like Cosmic.

>>49235651
Use an online alphabetizer. Have all of the powers' names first, and have the entire power on a single line with a specific character that you can find/replace with a line break in np++ later.
I think it'd be a cool thready challenge to stat up over-the-top abilities in detail to show off GURPS. Maybe even make an anime ability repository. Explosion's pretty basic, but the fun was figuring out just how damn big it needed to be.

Also, there's been a lot of "Can GURPS do <Thing>?" questions as of late, and most are immediately answerable with "Yes, <Action/AtE/DF/Monhun>". We should have a pastebin in the OP that answers those specific questions. Just don't put where the trove is in the pastebin.
>>
>>49235751
>Use an online alphabetizer. Have all of the powers' names first, and have the entire power on a single line with a specific character that you can find/replace with a line break in np++ later.
Gimme an example? I think I'm not following.

What if I also need tables?
>>
>>49235782
Nevermind I think I get it.

Power1 This power does yadda yadda
Power2 This other power does yadda
Power3 Power that yadda yadda

Something like that?
>>
>>49235855
Yup. Idk about tables tho man. Manually sorted; you shouldn't have a bunch of tables to sort tho, no?
>>
>>49235961
Nah, I would have to just insert them into their proper places.

So I guess I open up Notepad, write everything down, sort, and then format properly yes?
>>
>>49235651
>>49235782
Have you considered making a spreadsheet?
>>
>>49236075
Yes I have, although I have no idea how to put all of that into a Word document once I'm done.
>>
>>49235985
Yup. That's the basics. You can just google any online alphabetical sorter. If its gurps, I say just make it all in GCS and have it sort for you. Good luck with whatever it is you're doing!
>>
>>49236089
It's not GURPS sadly, but thank you for the help!

Although I'm intrigued about using a spreadsheet now...
>>
>>49236087
You can just copy-paste from a spreadsheet to a Word doc. Why do you need it in Word so bad anyways? You can print just fine from a sheet.
>>
>>49236144
Because I want it formatted as if it was a bunch of spells taken from D&D.

But yeah, I guess that's the easy way out!
>>
>>49234620
what did you use in pic?
i looked at the OP pdf but i cant find anything similair
>>
File: jZQ65.jpg (102KB, 1280x791px) Image search: [Google]
jZQ65.jpg
102KB, 1280x791px
>>49234620
I'm this anon >>49231646 >>49235544 but I went over this and just realized that Wiz and Megumin combined their powers to get the spell to be as powerful as it was in the linked youtube video. And remember that Aqua gave Megumin a bunch of her mana to get to the level of Wiz.
So what you made was more or less a version of Explosion in which two mages cast it (i.e. ceremonial magic) at a very high level.

Okay so first I think it should have half the damage and range you gave. Half range is easy, just reduce Increased Range to 5x (+20%), and to get half damage I'll use your calculations. Half of 556 (the area of a city) is 278, when divided by 3.5 we get a total damage of 79d.
Next we have Explosion 3, I only discovered GURPS about a week ago so I'm not too well versed in the rules (nor can I find page # for Explosion) but I'll assume it's reduced to Explosion 2.
Then comes Take Extra Time 4, now judging by the show it took maybe 2-3x as long than normal to chant the spell when she helped Wiz. Normally it takes, what, 5-6 seconds? From what I gather it doubles the time with each level (my understanding is lvl 1 = 2 seconds, lvl 2 = 4 seconds, etc. please correct me if I'm wrong), so it should be reduced to Take Extra Time 2.

cont.
>>
File: Megumin's_card.png (1MB, 1300x770px) Image search: [Google]
Megumin's_card.png
1MB, 1300x770px
>>49237464
cont.

Oh, and this last part is mostly my opinion but I figure that the mana system in Konosuba is wayyyy different than GURPS. Pic related is Megumin's adventurer card (read: character sheet) straight from the show. The stat 3rd from the top reads "MAGIC--POW" and the value is 231, the stat just above is "HEALTH" which reads 26. Now I'm no mathematician but 231 definitely exceeds +30% of 26, and while its said Megumins race, crimson demons, have good magical aptitude, I'm assuming that converting this race into GURPS would only give extra FP in the form of mana or some level of Magery, and the FP bonus would maybe be +60% max bonus.

For this I think that the amount of damage/range the spell has, should be dependent on how much FP you put into it instead of the Variable modifier. Not as a flat value of 10 FP.

>a version of Explosion in which two mages cast it (i.e. ceremonial magic) at a very high level
I'm just realizing that this means Megumin's mana is much lower than Wiz'. Remember back when megumin was casting it -at her full power- on the castle? so its not even the size of one building. that means the mana Wiz has and the mana Aqua gave her was MASSIVE.
I don't know how but the more appropriate range and damage needs to be MUCH lower than 556 yards and 179d
>>
>>49237464
>>49237508

Konosuba clearly isn't running on GURPS basic magic assumptions, that's for sure, but since casting spells does have an endurance drain, it probably just need a bit of rescaling. Maybe a 100 mana can be produced by spending 1 fp? Spell costs are scaled accordingly.

Casters probably also buy up on mp (which is fp specialized on spell casting).

Magic POW is probably Megumin's magical aptitude, not her mana endurance. The reason she exhausts herself is because she put all her points in magical aptitude so she can produce the biggest, most explody explosion possible rather than worrying about mana sustainability.
>>
>>49237508
I'd stat it as a Sorcery spell: give Megumin a fuckton of Sorcery Talent (EXPLOOOOSION) and Sorcerous Empowerment (EXPLOOOSION), have the spell ignore the damage cap via in-built Extra-Option perk and put a 10-11FP cost on the explosion spell. The Lich grill can have some Energy Reserves which explains how she's still alive after casting, and there are optional rules to use gestures and chanting to reduce spell cost already; so you can put the energy cost to megumin's FP+1 easily enough
>>
>>49235264
>I don't really like the idea of a Will roll letting her move, since she's been in plenty of situations where she'd roll will to move, but hasn't been able to do so.

Maybe she took a low Will? You can buy it down as a Disad.
>>
>>49237464
Explosion's on B104, center column, at bottom. Explosive damage is, at first level, max damage in the center hex of an explosion, and then divided by (3*distance in yards) if you dodge and drop away, are standing a few yards away, etc.

So, with Explosion 2, you divide damage by (2*distance in yards) if you're outside the center hex, which makes it somewhat less lethal. 276.5/2 is 138.25, meaning our explosion has an effective radius of 138 yards (but only does 10 crushing on average 24 yards away, which most animes will shrug off).

The first level of Takes Extra Time on an attack means you need to take a single Ready action before casting it. TET 4 makes this eight ready actions, or eight total seconds. I eyeballed it based on a few Megumin videos, and felt that seconds spent Aiming + eight seconds of Ready actions + the Attack maneuver got close enough to how long it took her on average. You could reduce it to 4 seconds by taking it down to TET 3, which should be good enough.

>>49237508
I don't really fuck with magic systems besides Psionic Powers, and know next to nothing about the base Magic system, ceremonial magic, ritual path magic, etc.; I just build powers as advantages and call it a day. There might be a variable FP cost, never looked into it. I know Sorcery has hardcore improvisation, which trades oodles of FP for maximum magic.

GURPS definitely works best if you try to capture the feel instead of the exact mechanics. Magic, especially, since (as >>49237729 hinted at), every magic system in GURPS has assumptions about how magic works. Thaumatology and Powers are two very good books to help you build your own magic system, and magical powers in that system, respectively.

>>49239495
Yeah, you can. Measuring a character's Will is a bit hard, so I just assume 10 unless they show themselves to be exceptional pushovers or iron walls, and then it's usually just a disadvantage like Cowardice or an advantage like Indomitable/Unfazeable.
>>
>>49236675
GURPS Character Sheet. http://gurpscharactersheet.com/

If I want to stat up an innate attack, however, I use 101010.org/gurps/ because it does dice adds, which I haven't figured out how to do yet in GCS.
>>
So i'm doing thought excersizes with GURPS to get more familiar with the system and I'm considering the cosmic modifier. It seems perfect to utilize for gods but I had a question. If i'm making, say a god of fire, and I want to give the flame they create (probably with the create advantage) the property that it never goes out/can never be put out would that utilize the cosmic modifier? Based on reading about it in power-up I would assume that each of those would be a different use to ignore a limitation fire has.
>>
I'm looking at the Action series in preparation for an upcoming game, and I'm curious what the fuck the wheelman is supposed to do during the meat of a session. It's not a huge deal as I don't see my players going for that role, but still, it seems too niche to warrant dedicating and entire character concept to it.
>>
>>49243098
Nevermind, I somehow missed the page-sized textbox in Action 2 that talks about how to make everyone useful.
>>
New book, Dungeon Fantasy 19: Incantation magic. Looks like a customized version of RPM built for Dungeon Fantasy.
>>
>>49243704
oh god yes
that might be the one thing I need above all others
>>
File: Mea Culpa.png (334KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
Mea Culpa.png
334KB, 800x800px
>>49243704
Dear lord
>>
File: ss (2016-09-08 at 03.47.06).png (91KB, 680x500px) Image search: [Google]
ss (2016-09-08 at 03.47.06).png
91KB, 680x500px
>>49243039
You just make fire with innate attack (burning) and put area effect (1 yard, +25%), persistent (+40%), extended duration (permanent, +300% for no way to end the effect), and then Cosmic (Cannot be extinguised, +50%) as per Power-Ups 4: Enhancements, page 7. This makes it so that only cosmic powers can extinguish it. I think. I'm not all that good with the Cosmic modifier.

If you want to control that fire, that would be Control Fire, which is [20].

Sources:
Basic Set, Power-Up 4: Enhancements, and sjgames forums for cost of an area effect with 1 yard (although you could refer to DF5's insect swarm for a published citation). Idea to make it as a burning attack came from Pyramid #3/63 - Infinite Worlds II, The Power of Sorcery (The precursor article to Thaumatology: Sorcery) with the spell "Create Fire".
>>
File: ss (2016-09-08 at 04.02.47).png (137KB, 568x667px) Image search: [Google]
ss (2016-09-08 at 04.02.47).png
137KB, 568x667px
>>49243978
And I uploaded the wrong picture. Whoops. It might be Lingering Effect, though. Like I said, I'm very hazy on using cosmic myself.
>>
>>49243704
Well allrighty then, I know what I'm doing tonight.
>>
>>49243978
Awesome. Thanks anon. Thats not bad at all. A bit expensive perhaps but i didnt expect gods powers to be cheap.

In the same vein of dieties, how would it be possible to model a power that turns the area around the god into night time? Like within a few miles? I've been considering it and i must admit my GURPS knowledge is a bit limited at that power scale.
>>
>>49244233
I'm going to be doing an easier (but possibly worse) method of statting the ability than the Create (Light) advantage with Destruction only, as I am not a physicist and joules make my head hurt. Go http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=21871 here for that.

Obscure 10 (Vision; Area Effect, 2048 yards, +550%; Cosmic, +50%) [140]
The person in question emanates a pitch-black circle of darkness that is 2.3~ miles wide, covering an area of 13176800 square yards. They can turn this on or off. The Cosmic modifier is just the power modifier, denoting it as an ability of a cosmic deity. If you wanted torches, flashlights, etc. to not make it any brighter, you'd append "Light sources cannot illuminate" to the Cosmic modifier. Cosmic, +50%, as a power modifier, can be replaced with a normal Cosmic enhancement.

Note that I didn't add Defensive to the power; while that would allow the deity in question to see, it'd increase the point total by [10], and you could simply get Night Vision 10 for the same price, which works for all darkness penalties.
>>
Dungeon Fantasy 19: Incantation Magic just got put out.
http://forums.sjgames.com/showthread.php?t=145723
>>
>>49244691
>Night Vision 10
Disregard that; Night Vision does not work in total darkness. Get Dark Vision, color vision optional, for 25~ points. Or, just scale the Obscure back to -5, for a clear moonlit night, to -9 for an overcast starlit night.
>>
>>49244999
>>49244999
>>49244999
fresh bread baked daily
Thread posts: 319
Thread images: 52

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.