[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ROLEPLAYING WITH VIETNAMESE CHILDREN

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 5

File: MAGIC CHOPSTICK.jpg (125KB, 650x850px) Image search: [Google]
MAGIC CHOPSTICK.jpg
125KB, 650x850px
I manage English teachers and give classes in a rural Vietnamese community. My favorite trick for duping the kids into speaking a foreign language for an hour is letting them play "Dungeon and Dragon" with me all day.

>class of four students, young but experienced speakers, at the age where swords and dinosaurs and stuff are the new hotness
>Lucy: hasnt studied as long as the others so I give her an absurdly overpowered wizard character that forces her to talk so she can beat my quests
>Rosy: bossy rich girl of the group who spends all their gold on blinged out armor. her fighter has like four times the HP of the other characters but no damage
>Hannah: tomboy, basically just went into the game wanting a pet dinosaur so now she's a ranger i guess
>Danny: this fucker loves Naruto, little nigga shows up with his headband every weekend wanting me to give him Shadow Armor and Shadow Bomb and all sorts of edgy weeb nonsense
>this party shows up at a tavern, the innkeeper is having none of their prepubescent nonsense, makes them park the dinosaur outside and leave their weeb-blades at the door
>Danny gets really pissed and the girls have to talk him out of starting a fight cause they want to get to the destination
>everyone sits down and chooses their food, Lucy asks for "a chicken,"
>innkeeper brings her a live chicken
>this infuriates Danny, he slaughters it with his bare hands and tells the innkeeper to cook it
>then he refuses to pay the bill because I just gave him Shadow Bomb and he wants to use it asap
>security beats the shit out of him
>Hannah: brb getting my dinosaur
>Rosy bribes bartender into not calling the police-- i think she learned this trick from her parents. vietnam is a very corrupt country
>Lucy can no longer understand what is going on and just sees that Danny is angry
>attempts to produce magic wand, forgets the word for wand. "I USE MY CHOPSTICK"
>her wand only has one spell, "Dragon Fire"
>Entire bar is now burned to the ground

Cont
>>
>>49178825
>>attempts to produce magic wand, forgets the word for wand. "I USE MY CHOPSTICK"
Fuck me, kek
>>
>inform Danny that the princess he just rescued will be disappointed that he's destroying her city
>he calms down
>they flee and are now fugitives from justice
>next stop, Ghost Lake

You guys want to hear about Ghost Lake when I play with them next weekend?
>>
>>49178884
Sure; do you have any more stories from these kids?
>>
>>49178902

Here's what happened the first day:

>explain to the kids I want to play a game "instead of" studying
>fuck yeah how does it work
>it's like a computer game, but I draw on the board and you tell me in English what you want to do
>they dont really understand the concept so i make a little dungeon crawl with a dragon at the end
>you guys have to kill the dragon, okay? watch out for zombies and vampires.
>now they kind of get it, i try to get them to make characters: "what do you want to be?"
>rosy: i want a sword
>danny: i want a sword
>hannah: i want the tyrannosaurus rex
>lucy: i want to be policeman
>haha... okay guys, if you kill the dragon you can do that stuff. right now i'm giving you all swords
>lucy still has no idea what we're doing so i give her Heal
>they go through the dungeon and figure out combat pretty fast but lucy is bored cause she's just healing every round
>i decide to let them find a treasure chest so she can find a weapon to use
>now they all want cool stuff from the treasure chest so i give them their dinosaurs and weeaboo shit. apparently this is a chest of holding
>they now have no reason to kill the dragon
>lucy uses her new "Gloves of Power" to blow a hole in the wall and they go fuck up a nearby village instead

No more stories of interest, as the game just started recently.
>>
>>49179181
>>now they all want cool stuff from the treasure chest so i give them their dinosaurs and weeaboo shit. apparently this is a chest of holding
>>they now have no reason to kill the dragon
>>lucy uses her new "Gloves of Power" to blow a hole in the wall and they go fuck up a nearby village instead
I like these kids already, keep us updated OP
>>
>>49179208

Yeah, roleplaying with children is hilarious because they're murderhobos and you can't punish them too much for it without them getting bored and quitting the game. But on the other hand they don't realize that there are no challenges in their game and have a great time regardless of how off-rails it gets. It's more like a make-believe activity for them than an actual game.

Anyone got ideas for roleplaying with a public school class? I'm talking about 40 kids in one room who barely speak ANY English. Usually I teach these classes in Vietnamese and just do my practice activities in English. With teens I let them make a dialogue where the boy team tries to flirt with the girl team and the girl team tries to get rid of them. But that's all I've ever thought up.
>>
>"I USE MY CHOPSTICK"

Clever...I respect her.
>>
>>49179208
This. Sounds great.
>>
>>49179308

Do Twitch Plays D&D but with your class.

That or Everybody is John could get silly.
>>
>>49179363

>Do Twitch Plays D&D
That is a superb idea. I would have to get parent permission and stuff but the kids would be thrilled.

I'll have to save up money for equipment though, can't deliver on that for a long time.

Looking up everyone is john now.
>>
Respect, OP.

These kids are going to be motivated so much more from problem solving "how do i find more dinosaurs to ride" than they would from worksheets and shit.
>>
>>49180250

It's the best possible way to teach a language without moving the student to a foreign country for immersion. It simulates immersion by making them use the language to build long series of inter-related thoughts and solve problems by expressing them. Like having a real conversation.
>>
>>49178825
Shit man, where are you living? I'm in Hoi An for a while (yeah, tourist central, I know)
Teaching some kids English as well
>>
>>49181393

Củ Chi. It's the rural district on the very north border of TPHCM.
>>
>>49178825
>>49179308
Fuck yeah guys, you're doing a great job at being exceptional humans. You make me proud that I browse 4chan, and that's saying a lot.
>>
File: 1356344773124.jpg (228KB, 600x592px) Image search: [Google]
1356344773124.jpg
228KB, 600x592px
>>49178825
Jesus OP, that's amazing.
>>
File: latest[2].jpg (2MB, 2839x2157px) Image search: [Google]
latest[2].jpg
2MB, 2839x2157px
>>49178825
>The new girl
>Oujo-sama
>Tomboy
>Chuuni
I like this party already

>Rosy bribes bartender into not calling the police-- i think she learned this trick from her parents. vietnam is a very corrupt country
>I think she learned this trick from her parents
OHOHOHO~

Take good care of your group anon, and your life may end up like my slice of life Chinese cartoons.
>>
File: Quickstart.jpg (47KB, 250x349px) Image search: [Google]
Quickstart.jpg
47KB, 250x349px
>mfw Hannah is Fumi from quick start.
You are a fantastic person op. Keep us informed of future adventures.
>>
File: 1471438864333.png (479KB, 613x613px) Image search: [Google]
1471438864333.png
479KB, 613x613px
>>49178825
This is awesome. Keep it up.
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.