[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/wbg/ - worldbuilding general

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 15

File: earth-clipart-Earth-clip-art-8.png (50KB, 600x573px) Image search: [Google]
earth-clipart-Earth-clip-art-8.png
50KB, 600x573px
OP too lazy to come up with an edition edition

On designing cultures:
http://www.frathwiki.com/Dr._Zahir%27s_Ethnographical_Questionnaire

Random name/terrain/stat generators:
http://donjon.bin.sh/

Mapmaking tutorials:
http://www.cartographersguild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=48

Free HTML5-based mapmaking toolset:
www.inkarnate.com

Random Magic Resources/Possible Inspiration:
http://www.darkshire.net/jhkim/rpg/magic/antiscience.html
http://www.buddhas-online.com/mudras.html
http://sacred-texts.com/index.htm

Conlanging:
http://www.zompist.com/resources/

Random (but useful) Links:
http://futurewarstories.blogspot.ca/
http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/
http://military-sf.com/
http://fantasynamegenerators.com/
http://donjon.bin.sh/
http://www.eyewitnesstohistory.com/index.html
http://kennethjorgensen.com/worldbuilding/resources

Discord invite: https://discord.gg/FWE5M

>What are the roles of women in the cultures of your world?
>are there any republics in your world? if so, how do they differ from actual republics? and what factors have influenced these differentiations?
>does your world have any cults with considerable political and/or cultural influence/power?
>>
previous thread: >>49114383
>>
OPINION TIME: Choose one as your favourite direction for planets/planes
>Earth-clone
>non-Earth sphere, probably with its own time cycles
>infinite plane or nonstandard shape like a ring

Currently I'm working on an infinite plane idea which looks like a rounded diamond, where doing too far East/West will bring you to a coexistent location i.e. horizontal circumnavigation will bring you to a different place with the same stars/sunlight/etc. The poles are where it gets weird, allowing relatively quick travel between coexistent planes but mitigated by inhospitable environments, dangerous magical phenomena, here be dragons, etc. Sticking with Earth time because I want to keep it simple for others to get into.
>>
>>49166631
And by rounded diamond I mean that in a three-dimensional sense, like if you roll out a tube of dough with the ends tapered off.
>>
So I just wanted to bounce my setting idea and for a story within it.

>mankind reaches stars full of hop
>Finds aliums
>aliums fill humans in on the fact they missed the whole golden age boat
>Galaxy is an post-apoc state filled with nomadic savages and massive rotting empires

Story follows the captain of an archeology/salvage vessel along with the ships AI. Wanted to explore loneliness of the captain and him coming making first contact with a lot of the galaxies inhabitants.
>>
What would spacefaring humans do with a giant alien embryo that magically shits any kind of matter?
>>
File: 2345345.jpg (236KB, 1000x600px) Image search: [Google]
2345345.jpg
236KB, 1000x600px
>>49166771
Sounds kinda cool.

Remember to include astronomical-scale wreckage, Homeworld style.
>>
>>49166250
So the discord link be like a plain white screen for me, Two threads in a row.
>>
File: 1466552843901.jpg (69KB, 622x573px) Image search: [Google]
1466552843901.jpg
69KB, 622x573px
>>49168767
Works for me
>>
>>49168928
Well thanks, that's super helpful.
>>
Hey /wbg/ may I bounce an idea off you guys?

So in my setting I wanted words to have power and i'm thinking about expressing this via rune magic. Wizards being rune priests in sense. Speaking an age old language of the gods that bends reality to its will and inscribing it provides power to things.

That sound lame at all to you guys?
>>
>>49169203
Nah, I like it. The big reason I've never been able to do something similar is it either becomes meaningless fluff for an otherwise normal magic system. Or you otherwise need to explain why anyone can't just do it all the time forever (and either crank the magic of the setting up to 11, or neuter the shit out of it).

If i
>>
File: 1466566636354.jpg (134KB, 678x915px) Image search: [Google]
1466566636354.jpg
134KB, 678x915px
>>49169019
No problem glad to help
>>
>>49169203

I'm so little knowledge about languages or language in general but I was thinking about explaining this away in a couple of ways.

>To speak the words and to get the power requires the right accent, inflection, and flow to the words
>Spelling and grammar in the written rune is elaborate and hard as to get right. Get it wrong and the runes when assembled as a word or a sentence do nothing at all.

I want them kinda like old catholic priests only smaller in number due to new gods and what not.
>>
/awg/ keeps making me want to work on my setting where Europe is destroyed by demons and they have to flee to the brown countries.
>>
>>49166250
For humans, much the same as women in the real world. A great number are homemakers, but there are some in business and some in the governments.
For other races, only exclusively homemakers to whatever they want. The elves are the most inclusive, and the "wild races" (orks, goblins, etc) are the least.
>are there any republics in your world? if so, how do they differ from actual republics? and what factors have influenced these differentiations?
There is the Crystalline magic city. All the magic guilds above a certain size appoint representatives to a grand council that rules the city. It is up to the individual guilds how this appointment is done. Smaller guilds will often patronize council members for a more direct voice than the single council member appointed to represent all small guilds. As the magic guilds run most of the transportation systems, their transit stations are in effect embassies, and under control separately from the cities they reside in, just as irl embassies are.
>does your world have any cults with considerable political and/or cultural influence/power?
Actual cult, not at this time. Those non-magically inclined sometimes look as the magic council as a cult like entity, but as all its doings are made public, everyone just dismisses those claims.
A couple regions have powerful religious followings that may be viewed as cult like, but the mostly stay out of matters of state.
>>
page 10 save rave

At what times and settings do you work on getting inspiration? Not physical work but ideas popping into your head. Do you have certain rituals or schedules, or does it just pop into your head randomly?

I get the best ideas when I really have to shit, but I hold it in for as long as possible for the inspiration. Some nights I get really fucking bombed and lots of cool stuff appears.
>>
>>49175909
I used to stay up most of the night, believing I write best on less sleep. Which is correct, to an extent. I also can't think clearly on less sleep.

Most of the time it's random. When I really wanna work on something I get my earbuds, find a comfortable spot, and turn on some music. Being half asleep does wonders for the imagination. Admittedly, I probably sleep more than I get shit done when I do that.

I get good ideas in the shower sometimes.
>>
File: 1471558795318.jpg (818KB, 1106x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1471558795318.jpg
818KB, 1106x1500px
>>49166250
I'm only working on the Dwarven continent right now, and Dwarves are practically androgynous, so many dwarf women work, fight, etc. and the children are raised collectively by the clan.
I've considered something like a republic for the elves, but with a monarch. The monarch is in charge of the most pressing decisions, while changes to government policy, laws, etc. are hashed out over decades in the republic.
There's a militant offshoot of a religion that is popular, yet mistreated by the government. Said offshoot promises more religious freedom while ignoring the pacifistic tendencies of the orthodox side.
>>
>>49167542
Clone it
>>
>>49169203
That's basically what shouting in Skyrim is.
>>
>>49166250

Interestingly enough, I have one culture which addresses all three. Although in the setting at large gender isn't an issue and republics are common (scifi).

There is one cult, however, which has grown to small nation size due to remaining relatively stable during the collapse of a mostly unrelated empire. Their name litterally translates into "art cult", which descibes them aptly; they believe art is the purpose and entire merit of life (the cult developed in reaction the the dominate, souless culture of the decaying empire).

They are one of the only cultures which practice any kind of gender roles, but do so to significant extreme. The believe women are the more "artful" gender and men the more "effective" gender (effectiveness is still, obviously, highly valued. Its hard to be "artful" when you are starving, enslaved, or living in a mess of tents and huts). Their young society is organized accordingly: women are civil leaders, politicians, artisans, teachers, various money handlers, etc; men are military leaders, soldiers, laborers, various engioneers, athletes, etc.

Woman as the money handlers may stick out as not as closely adhereing to the art vs eff dichotomy, because it is actually more of a later addition due to leveraging of political power and the general tendency demonstrated by men even in (real) societies where wemon have little power to simply hand money over to women to deal with while they focus their energy on actually earning it, since this society is effectivelt gynarchal it seemed like a natural development. Furthermore, their culture is rather distant from a capitalistic value system, what you do with money is more important than the money itself.

Neither gender is allowed to perform roles of the other, with rare and very frownes upon exception. For a woman to soldier or labor is seen as laughably humiliating, and for a man to engage in addlicking or money grubbing is disgraceful.
>>
>>49181866

Because of this divide, while the nation is technically gynarchal, it is largely shaped by men "voting with their feet". No group of women can accomplish anything without a dedicated group of laborers and engioneers, and its not going to stay together long without law enforcement and possibly soldiers.

So what you end up with is an upper class of idol-politicians\businesswomen competing to be the best raison d'être around, and a bunch of men lookong for where they will recieve the most recognition and favor (giving young martiarch-to-be's a fighting chance). Lower class women pair up with individual men and/or attatch themselves to a matriarch and help run shit in hopes of one day having enough experience and appeal to be an alpha bitch themselves.

It is functionally a republic as power rests in the handful of women at the top of the biggest pyramids, which are entirely comprised of voluntary alliegence that could shift to any other woman should they fail to properly please and represent their followers.
>>
>>49169203
>Speaking an age old language of the gods that bends reality to its will and inscribing it provides power to things.
That is actually one of the most common and universal ideas of how magic works - even in real life. Why do you think so many magical systems involve magical incantation, very often in language sounding similar to latin? Why do you think "Hocus pocus" (actually a bastardized pronounciation of "hoc est corpus" (this is the body) is a go-to-magical formula.

The idea is good, mostly because it's immediately understandable, intuitive and relatable. It's in no way original though.
>>
>>49166250
>>What are the roles of women in the cultures of your world?
Pretty much the exact same role as men do, they are most entirely equal in most places (though there are likely certain cultures where the balance tips one way or the other like in real life). The largest religion in the known world (AKA, the region I've fleshed out the most) worship a goddess known as the Mother, and it was headed by a council of women. The king of the region where the religion was based from was technically outranked by them, but he handled all the actual ruling himself. The entire council and the king at the time were wiped out in a recent massive war that the setting is still recovering from though.

>>are there any republics in your world? if so, how do they differ from actual republics? and what factors have influenced these differentiations?
No, but I think I'll add one now. Been trying to think of a way to differentiate one kingdom from another. A republic is a wonderful idea.

>>does your world have any cults with considerable political and/or cultural influence/power?
I have several religions with subsets and splinter religions of their own which some would consider cults. The most cult like one I can think of at the moment is probably the Acolytes of Our Lady the Fox, who's worship involves sacrificing souls by having the head priestess devour them as an avatar of their goddess.
>>
File: mappa_prova.jpg (417KB, 1200x1200px) Image search: [Google]
mappa_prova.jpg
417KB, 1200x1200px
My first ever attempt at mapping. How shit is this?
>>
>>49185147
SHy is scotland in the middle and not inDANORF
>>
>>49185147
Looks good, althougth the names feel a bit too repetitive.

All the names in meriziA end in A for instance.

>>49181866
Very cool. You should have been here for the "reasonable matriarchy" thread yesterday, you may have had something to actually contribute.

Or more likely you would have drowned in shitposting while being ignored.
>>
They stay in the kitchen and they like it. Unless they have magic powers, then they go into woods to be crazy witches or lord over magical school like a crazy-ass dean drunk with power
I'm not quite sure what historical republics are like. Mine does not have elections, instead wealthiest people gather once in a while to review the laws and elect a new prince to run their daily business. Prince is generally has trapping of a monarch, although can be impeached.
Depends on what is considered a cult. Most worship local deity or spirits. Laughing Rat is most prominent spirit that isn't bound to geography and is favoring various outcasts, but outcasts are not very important. A witch he empowered back in a day however helped destroying a nation by being petty and vindicative.
>>
We should consider merging /wbg/ and /gdg/. They both risk 404ing, but together they might live long enough to hit post limit.
>>
>>49188502
I wouldn't be totally averse to that. Some of the questions that come up when you think about players running around in your world would fit there.
>>
I am a hunter in your world, in search of the most difficult-to-catch-and/or-kill prey in all the land. What do I hunt for?
>>
>>49189361
Big game or not?
>>
>>49189475
Whatever's toughest my man, big or small.
>>
>>49189494
If you're stupid, you'd go after a dragon, but you'd never kill it, since the aura it radiates would cause you to randomly burst into lizards well before you got close to it.

Realiatically, you'd most likely go after drakes, lesser dragonspawn, the great wooly rhinos of the central plains, or the great earth elementals that wander the Gobiyett Desert.
>>
>>49189361
Go after an Abyss Leviathan. They have strength on-par with the strongest Dragons and Demi-Gods and can only be found in the deepest, darkest parts of the ocean.
If you want something you can actually 'kill', go hunt any of the Greater Chimera species.
>>
These threads keep making me want to work on my fantasy setting, when my sci-fi one is the only one people have interest in.
>>
>>49185147
Needs more small settlements, and terrain variety. And scale
>>
File: numberworld.jpg (206KB, 1080x720px) Image search: [Google]
numberworld.jpg
206KB, 1080x720px
Trying to figure out bit of map of nations/regions/political stuff.
Of course, mostly unfinished, just larger areas done - I am gonna probably fracture west a little bit more.

Time to write descriptions of the bunch...
>>
>>49166771
Oh hey, I remember the thread where that idea was tossed around. High-tier concept.
>>
Pretty much what you'd expect of a pre-modern world. Female commoners tend to live domestic lives. Gender roles are looser for women in the aristocracy, particularly if they're pretty far down the inheritance line. You'll sometimes see a bored young noblewoman buy a military officer's commission or a merchant ship and go around adventuring, but even that's frowned upon in polite society.

>are there any republics in your world?
I suppose there would be some, but I don't really like republics and haven't bothered creating any. There are a bunch of minor “third world” countries just filling out parts of the map that I haven't developed, so I guess some of them will have elected governments if it ever comes up.

But I guess you could say that the Meridial League is a republic of sorts, in that it is governed by of a council of the leaders of the city-states that compose it. But it's more of a loose confederacy than a nation, and the governing council is made up of hereditary rulers rather than elected representatives.

Incredibly so. More than half of the world is under the influence of The Order, a vast transnational organization that blurs the lines between a cult, a religious/philosophical movement, and an economic syndicate. They have spent millennia whispering in the ears of the elite on the western continents, spreading an agnostic spiritual philosophy pushing maintenance of the status quo and social castes. They have thus divided the elite from the common man, who retains his traditional pagan beliefs, thereby making the elite ever more dependent on The Order for support. Their power comes from a virtual monopoly on magic, which they use to produce meta-materials with exception properties (mostly super-light nearly invulnerable metals) that they only provide to trade guilds licensed through them.
>>
File: Apollo 15 Alien Shipwreck.jpg (17KB, 400x180px) Image search: [Google]
Apollo 15 Alien Shipwreck.jpg
17KB, 400x180px
>>49166771
>that feel when we live in that setting
>>
>>49185147
looks cool. add more geographic features, minor settlements and a scale

do these kingdoms have vassals? or are they absolute monarchies with noble houses competing for different titles and offices?
>>
>>49192736
Glad to see you included Jews in your setting.
>>
Sup /wbg/
I am currently working on a civilization building system that will play a lot like an oldschool text adventure. anyone know of some civ building systems? or general advice on creating a vague enough world that my players can still shape their civs
>>
File: Screenshot_23.png (51KB, 139x163px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_23.png
51KB, 139x163px
new discord invite:

https://discord.gg/CDpvs
>>
>>49195414
What's it for?
>>
>>49195555
/wbg/ discord

also checked
>>
Dragons as giant serpents of all kinds that spit a venom so strong it's like acid, and it burns like a motherfucker. Or maybe spit napalm. Y/N?
>>
>>49195654
Seems like a reasonably cool monster on its own. Calling it a dragon will only make "purists" butthurt.
>>
File: mill_from_valentine007.jpg (101KB, 1024x685px) Image search: [Google]
mill_from_valentine007.jpg
101KB, 1024x685px
This is a very odd request, but is there anyone on /tg/ who is familiar with the design of pulp and paper mills?

Someone who could point at the image attached, or at bits on Google Maps, and say "oh yeah, that's probably [X]"
>>
>>49195935
Look at the Kraft process, the actual process for production of pulp and paper hasn't changed significantly except for one to two technological shifts for "green" engineering standards. Your standard components remain the same, and the equipment is relatively standard. Impregnation chambers, soak tanks, digesters, and so forth.

In that picture with the really bad angle, you can't really see much that's noticeable besides the stack. The conveyor at the far left likely leads to the recovery boiler. There's generally a class on this if you go into chemical engineering, but most of the information is also online nowadays, so really the only part that chemical engineers have over normal people is the process management part, and generally the necessary heat transfer/balancing schemes that you need to optimize the actual operation.
>>
>>49195935
>>49196229
Speaking of which though, just how dated is that image? I thought the mill at Powell River was closed already a while back.
>>
File: Mashed Image.jpg (847KB, 3072x2347px) Image search: [Google]
Mashed Image.jpg
847KB, 3072x2347px
>>49196229
Hah! I knew /tg/ would deliver.

https://www.google.ca/maps/place/Catalyst+Paper/@49.8729274,-124.5629429,458m/data=!3m1!1e3!4m5!3m4!1s0x5487e41b082f9e07:0x15781376843a96c3!8m2!3d49.8731834!4d-124.5538686

So on the map above, starting from the peninsula on the left:

-Some sort of relieving/construction yard? I've seen if full of wood chips before, so it might be a chipping yard

-White building with large smokestack - steaming?

-Below that, on the south side of the peninsula (where the steam is coming from) - another steaming plant? A more modern one?

It's just, from the air, it's tricky to see what direction anything is flowing. It looks like most of the processing takes place on that peninsula, with some secondary loading/processing on the shore to the south. Everything seems to flow into that large grey building in the centre.
>>
>>49196473
Powell River's not dead yet!
http://www.euwid-paper.com/news/singlenews/Artikel/catalyst-paper-shuts-down-pm-9-at-powell-river.html

They're down to 2 machines, but the plant is still running.
>>
I haven't world built a big setting ever since I was much younger and now I caught the spark again and now I'm having a lot fun doing it.
I have a map made and the different cultures designed.
The only problem is i'm having too many ideas at once. Like my brain is just shooting it all out and I can't get it down on paper.
And the only other complaint is that when I try to think about the micro things of the setting I get scared off because of consistency.
Any ideas?
>>
>>49196596
I feel like you're an eco-terrorist plotting your fiendish mission.
>>
File: ZBGOsl6.jpg (134KB, 1024x681px) Image search: [Google]
ZBGOsl6.jpg
134KB, 1024x681px
>>49196767
I work for the oil industry (indirectly, cleaning up their messes and fixing the planet). If I wanted to cause trouble, I've got better ways than bothering a paper mill on the west coast.

It's just the setting for my Apocalypse World game. I want a slightly better idea of what each building does, and how I can use them.
>>
Varies. The magiocracies are surprisingly open to female advancement but this is due to them caring much more about magic. Those who cannot use magic at all are viewed with much disdain for no other reason then just that. So long as your a female magic user its okay but becomes great if your powerful or help in magical research. This is true if your also a male though.

In the theocracies it varies wildly generally depending upon the power of female deities(if any) in said theocracy as naturally said female deities will obviously look out for women(especially the faithful ones).

For the kingdoms and empires it first depends upon your station followed by any potential abilities. Females from matrilineally empowered noble bloodlines are not to be trifled with for instance. On the other hand it can also be really fucking shitty with your only hope taking the non traditional paths of those like adventurers or something more expected like fleeing to the faiths who often provide refuge. Some of the faiths are quite notorious for their willingness to protect women who flee abusive homes or even marriage. So long as they are willing to pick up the cloth for instance. Often enough this is the only refuge women can easily find no matter their birth or station in life and if they don't got anything special going on for them.

Now if they have something special about them like magic this often changes things to a massive degree. Even if your from a culture that suppresses women heavily they obviously aren't going to piss off that strong as shit witch for instance and even shy away from steal women of the cloth less they have a literal holy war called down on their asses(which has happened repeatedly...and for often far less excuses).

Its serious as shit business to try take a woman back from the faiths. Even princesses have been known to successfully avoid marriage by chilling out with the faiths who are both quite possessive and protective of their flocks(yay literal gods).
>>
>>49196596
Chipping yard perhaps, but depending on their handling system it might just be a stockpile storage. Different facilities generally handle it differently. Some of the facilities further in the interior have their storage in a contained facility and put reprocess materials outside.

Generally a large stack is necessary for either the lime kiln or a combustion chamber in the recovery loop. The actual reboilers, you want to recapture as much energy from, so depending on the design there's not necessarily a stack.

The Kraft process generally works in a single chain fashion (the main process), and the recovery loop is linked parallel to it. I don't really remember all too well what the one in Kamloops (Domtar iirc) was like from the outside, but like most chemical processing facilities (well, industrial facilities) in general, you'd have a much better sense of the process flow if you were given a P&ID to contrast with that aerial, or if you were actually inside the facility itself. If I had to guess I'd say the majority of the pulping equipment is inside the center gray facilities.
>>
>>49196903
At the same time women who flee to the faiths are naturally going to choose according to their treatment of women and more importantly their ability to protect them. There has been more then a few problems caused to different kingdoms and empires because they chose so poorly for their princesses and daughters they would literally run away to the faiths. Naturally those who most successful about it were the ones who picked carefully of whom they will seek refuge with. Often enough however said refuge comes at a cost so you may vary will have to pick up the cloth before they become willing to protect you even IF said kingdom threatens war.

Even empires have been known to burn down to the ground because they pushed it too far and as it turned out the faiths were more then willing to declare a holy war to protect their charges.

So basically if worse comes to worse if your a woman refuge among the faiths is always possible as they are most protective and possessive of their flocks.

In other words running away is always an option...basically voting with your feet. Which has been a tradition for ages. There just happens to be few more safeguards in place then real life at a similar time.

Republic wise they are very fucking unlucky. Having literal power in the blood firmly entrenches the monarchies and literal active gods firmly entrenches theocracies. Despite that republics were able to hold on albeit with much difficulty. Republics were generally trade republics as a lot philosophical thought was heavily crushed by said monarchies and theocracies. Sadly greed wasn't one of them and it was through greed the republics were able to hang on by relying upon trade.

The trade republics are one of the only places where free thought was allowed to much greater degree as a said effect of free trade which kept the republics alive. The only place that can compete were the magiocracies but they tended to be quite self absorbed with magic.
>>
>>49196918
Ok, cool! I'm not likely to get a tour for another year at least, but that's still helpful info.

If you had to set up camp in an abandoned pulp and paper mill, what areas would be good to live in? What areas would be horrifyingly bad? Are there any major benefits (other than water, fuel, and materials access)?
>>
>>49196767
Pulp and Paper is a relatively "clean" industry as far as heavy industry goes to be honest. Sure it eats up trees as entry material if you look way up the chain, but the wood chips that come in are basically "scrap" already in a sense.

Though admittedly, some towns in BC would basically cease to exist if the pulp mills in the area were to shut down. It's an interesting thought experiment that came to fruition some years back during the explosion at Burns Lake.
>>
>>49166250
La Lisähbroonhrapid prygatço nad la Pjechleñjivij.
Лa Лicәьбpooньpaпiд пpыгaтҳo нaд лa Пѐцьлeњјiвiј.
The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.
>>
>>49197099
The trade republics were under an immense amount of pressure by the monarchies and republics. Unlike the magiocracies they couldn't rely upon magic for their independence. This forced the republics to buckle down on trade and free thought. Thereby making them hard digest should they be absorbed and their attempts at self defense failed. It also forced them to greatly boost their military to hold out against them.

Basically the trade republics while rare survived by trade, politicking, militarizing, and free thought. Even thoughts and variety of them floating around saw to it should they be conquered they would be most difficult to absorb. Trade arose because it couldn't be so easily stamped out and more importantly would afford them much. Politicking was critical due to their weakness and due to how often monarchies and theocracies clashed. If you were good you use that to your advantage. Militarizing was due to just how many threats were out there. To the free peoples of the trade republics their best means of defense was knowing how to fighting, free thought, and free trade. Relying on them allowed them to stand up independent from the powerful theocracies and monarchies.

Cults are around especially for the things more frowned upon but still quite enticing. Depends on how big and powerful the cult is. Some of them are pretty fucking weak while others are surprisingly powerful. Truth be told i haven't done a lot with them just yet.
>>
>>49197128
Offices. Always the offices. If you work in Oil and Gas and you do any field work you can probably attest, but no matter how much a company tries to adhere to HSE standards, the actual site is generally always a mess. The further up the chain you go with the digesters and heat exchangers the more hazards you'll generally come across.

The recovery loop is out of the question. Most of the liquor processing goes on in there, so caustics are always nearby. The main press line (at the tail end of the main process loop) might be a good option, since by then most of the processing is actually done, and as long as the plant isn't in operation, noise and heat won't be an issue, and you don't have to wear PPE either.

Pros about living out in a pulp and paper plant are generally about the same as any heavy industry facility. The security is generally tighter than the surrounding area (electronic gates, barbed wire, depends on the site), you'll have plenty of room. If electricity is available generally there are atmosphere controlled rooms (cool rooms) for break areas. Since these plants are meant to handle shifts, there are small areas where you could feasibly take naps and such. There's generally not too much in terms of food to be honest outside of vending machines, so you'd have to scavenge the town nearby. But generally facilities are under camera surveillance, with the camera room either at the main gate, or in the office depending on the facility. There'll also be lots of tools/PPE available, so that could be handy as well.
>>
>>49197305
Well, the Powell River site is a complete disaster of disused buildings, rusting tanks, abandoned projects, and other fun industrial debris.
>>
>>49197644
Generally abandoned buildings and storehouses on site are terrible places to set up shop. It's not like a rented warehouse studio where they generally keep ventilation and such active. In pulp and paper plants depending on the nature of preprocessing, sawdust can be a substantial breathing issue. In a game I guess you might say that there isn't a speck of dust anywhere, but in real life that layer of dust forms very quickly.

Even without, generally the buildings that are decommed have their power cut, which in turn kills ventilation. Not a safe environment to go in without PPE, not a safe environment to live in in general. Breathing issues ahead skin irritation is also prominent.
>>
File: RCUvCMQ.jpg (194KB, 740x492px) Image search: [Google]
RCUvCMQ.jpg
194KB, 740x492px
>>49197757
In this scenario, the entire plant would be shut down, so whatever dust remained would probably settle out eventually, especially if the buildings are left unheated and untended for a few years.
>>
>>49189361
Your death. No one survives an encounter with the abomination of the Sea of Death
>>
File: Thronerevisited.jpg (2MB, 1800x1100px) Image search: [Google]
Thronerevisited.jpg
2MB, 1800x1100px
Need some help. I like listening to music while I work on worldbuilding, so I like to also set the mood for whatever I am going for.

What the fuck sort of music fits the Kill-Six-Billion-Demons setting?
>>
>>49199319
Maybe Planescape Torment?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXF9I6OykBc
>>
File: slaud.png (46KB, 282x390px) Image search: [Google]
slaud.png
46KB, 282x390px
>>49166250
Depends heavily and culture and species.
For example, humans in metropolitan/modern areas of west have female-rights movements, while the more remote areas have more conservative views. In East, in empire of Desw, humans have been adopted into the caste-system, most belonging into the honorary caste - having little care for the gender.

Caowe are most similar in West, having most similar biology to humans ( although they have diminished sexual dimorphism ).

Desw in east have very strict caste-system ( based on gendermorphs ). Eggs laid are given to the state/village which raises them communally. Female and male of same caste are equal in eyes of law and people.

Slaud don't have females, being hermaphrodites.

Varpu are bit reversed. Males are smaller and tend to gain very colourful plumage during summer, and have the job of raising the young.

Draconians have larger bulkier females, but that doesn't really factor much - they don't really care.

Javdra, non-bipeds living mostly on remote isles ( with some in west ), are bit like anglerfish. Males are very small, unintelligent compared to females, and just attach themselves and eventually melt into females while contributing sperm. Thus they are really non-people for Javdra.

In west, mostly.

Some remains of Zere tends to have considerable political power.
>>
>>49199319
This, perhaps?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzdjMLKKdgk
>>
>>49199319

I dunno for your setting but I stumbled across the not-1997 version but also non-CLANG recent version of Berserk's OST and am amazed at how great it is. Seems like something I'd expect for star wars or some big hollywood epic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hflzFqfL5dk&list=PLTfOiSY6ImkHUS9E91sDEcEtLekTgWRBP&index=2

>I snubbed the 2012 version for being quasi-CGI
>Then the 2016 version came along.

je regrete.

But yeah:
-The wrath of god part II
-Des cambrioleurs
-Sember Invicta
-Des Liens solides
-New Horizons
-The sound of tortured souls
-Jeux de nobles
-Blood and guts
-Avant la tempete

are all gud

I haven't heard the golden age arc II ost ones yet.
>>
>>49199319
Igorrr.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PmUQU8Mk4o
>>
What's the worst place to be poor in your setting, /wbg/? What about the best place? Does anything resembling basic income exist anywhere?
Thread posts: 77
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.