[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/cofd/&/wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness General

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 321
Thread images: 17

File: CoffinVamp(CofDG).png (446KB, 680x471px) Image search: [Google]
CoffinVamp(CofDG).png
446KB, 680x471px
>Previous Thread: >>49099635 (archived)

>Pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/7sSgGVPH
http://www.mediafire.com/download/n7htcqyqk0y0acy/%5BWtF%5DThe_Pack.PDF
http://www.mediafire.com/download/a1kpjrm41yzozkq/V20_Ghouls_%26_Revenants.pdf

>Latest News
http://theonyxpath.com/v20-summer-bundle/

Promethean 2e is out
>richfags
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/189395/Promethean-the-Created-2nd-Edition?manufacturers_id=4261&language=en&affiliate_id=498510
>poorfags
https://www.sendspace.com/file/jwiihm

>Mage 2e Errata
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxveHUKxwBU9UUZ4UjZJdEhIM2c/view?usp=sharing
>new mega
https://mega.nz/#F!rFIDxRRK!IEzkLlroRoPwmDqtxKRMsw

This week's Monday Meeting Notes:
http://theonyxpath.com/25-years-of-masquerading-monday-meeting-notes/

>Question
Which splat makes the best waifusor husbandos?
>>
>>49131049
Is a wolfgirl's fur as soft and luscious as a foxgirl's?
>>
>>49131179
Kill yourself
>>
Why would disquiet even work on a vampire
>>
>>49131468
Because vampires are cucks
>>
>>49131468
It works on most living things. Even demons are affected by it.
>>
>>49131049
Promethean obviously

>Your waifu comes to life as an extempore
>>
>>49131488
do vampires count as living?
>>
>>49131521
>Not having an Unfleshed waifu
>Not wanting your life-size waifu doll to come to life and serve you
>>
>>49131468
It is supernatural, it isn't just making you uncomfortable. It is supernaturally pissing you off.
>>
hey I'm new to the world of darkness, coming from the vtmb game on pc.

a few threads ago when I was lurking someone was posting a bald man with a bunch of blue girl arms.

what game line is that from and what is it about? I have a fetish for lots of arms
>>
>>49131705
Welp, keep in mind that Vampire:TMB is from the OLD world of darkness! It has since been rebooted, and a lot has changed!
>>
>>49131705
Geist the Sin-Eaters
It's the last game published by White Wolf before they got bought by CCP, and it's a mess.
You play someone who died, but got saved by a powerful ghost who bound itself to your soul.

You can also have lots of arms in Demon, fyi
>>
>>49131488
Technically speaking, Unchained aren't affected by Disquiet, but if they don't "play along" their Covers suffer Compromise.
>>
>>49131550
I... don't think so?

I mean, vampires are pretty much walking corpses, unless you're a thinblood in WoD.

Regular vamps don't have heartbeats, they can't eat food or drink water (outside of merits), they are cold to the touch and pale as a... well, a corpse.

Thinbloods can often eat food (and keep it down for a time, and even digest it if they *really* want to spend the blood for it), many still retain a blush of health (albeit a bit dimmed) and some warmth to their skin. In some cases their hair and fingernails still grow, and some thinbloods aren't even immortal and instead simply grow older at a much-reduced rate.

But if we're talking regular vamps, yes. They literally have to die before they can become vampires. They're enchanted/cursed corpses at their core.
>>
>>49131760
>It has since been rebooted

In more ways than one.

You got the Chronicles of Darkness (which used to be called "New World of Darkness"), and then you got the original World of Darkness, which is what VtM:Bloodlines is based on.

And (Old) World of Darkness has recieved an Anniversary Edition in recent years, which has pumped new blood into the game and cleaned up a lot of the shitty rules and whatnot.

Personally, I prefer the (Old) World of Darkness. I find it to be a more interesting place to play chronicles in.
>>
>>49132183
Not quite correct. They ARE affected by disquiet, however they are in complete control of their emotions and thus they can chose not to act on the effects. That said, obviously ignoring disquiet could lead to cover compromise.
>>
Any annoucements from Grand Masquerade yet?
>>
>>49132631
Only 14 rapes so far, decent for an event of this size
>>
So can someone give me the cliff notes on how mummies use their pillars for stuff?
>>
>>49132631
Goth vamps are sucking off other goth vamps.
>>
File: slack-jawed faggots.gif (1MB, 356x200px) Image search: [Google]
slack-jawed faggots.gif
1MB, 356x200px
>>49132641
Bunch of lightweights
>>
Handful of Dust will be a single-chapter POD. What's up with that? Did they rewrite it to better fit with 2nd edition?
>>
>>49132421
That's not how it works. Demons have complete control over what their Cover *displays*, not what they actually *feel*.
>>
>>49133193
Their primum doesn't "feel" anything, it's not a construct that's equipped to have emotions. A demons emotions are derived from its human half
>>
>>49133265
Why are Beasts unaffected by disquiet? Besides just being the most Special Snowflakes of the WoD that is.
>>
>>49133265
>you don't get to know what it does to Mummies

Well fine then. I didn't want to know anyway!
>>
>>49133696
Because they're the designated crossover splat. I'm sure if you asked someone in charge it'd be something like "They're too far from humanity to be affected"
>>
>>49133265
>>49131488
>>49132183
>>49132421
>>49133193
The write up in the Demon Storyteller's Guide lays it out more clearly: Demons can ignore Disquiet, but not acting on it can be a Compromise, as that is the effect that a normal human would have in that situation.

>Disquiet: Whenever a Promethean does something explicitly inhuman or the Storyteller fails a Social roll for the character, all players whose characters witness the failure must roll Resolve + Composure. On a failure, she gains the Disquiet condition. A demon can choose to ignore any Disquiet effects levied against her, though this forces her player to roll for compromise unless she is in demonic form.
>Disquiet
>You’re filled with disgust for whatever Promethean was unlucky enough to catch your attention. You need to make life difficult for him, but this progresses towards antagonism, violence, and eventually murder.
>Resolution: The Promethean that caused it is killed, or the character stays away from the Promethean for the next three scenes. If the Disquiet was suffered by a Cover, switching to another Cover does not resolves this Condition as the affected Cover regains it when the demon switches back.
>Beat: Prevent the Promethean from accomplishing a goal. Do lethal damage to the Promethean. Get in the way of his Pilgrimage. Kill him. Each time one of the criteria for taking a Beat from this condition is fulfilled, the next time a player takes a Beat from this Condition, she must select a different task from this list.
I like that the whole thing is condensed to one "do this, then your choices are limited next time" Condition; I like that Demon takes the Hunter route for things. In the Demon STG, Prometheans:
>Have 3/3 Armour
>Three Embeds or Exploits, flavoured as Transmutations
>one Form Power to represent their Bestowment
>Heal 1L/2B/half an Agg each round of touching electricity
>Disquiet as above
>If they have a major setback, roll Resolve + Composure and if they fail they Torment
>>
>>49133696

I was going to say that it's because their souls have been replaced with their Horrors, then I remembered that vampires and werewolves post-First Change don't have souls anymore either, so it can't be anything other than "Special Snowflake"-syndrome.
>>
>>49133696
>>49133770
>I'm sure if you asked someone in charge it'd be something like "They're too far from humanity to be affected"
Or maybe it's that they're goetia formed of nightmares and their entire schtick is glomming onto other things and mimicking them.
>>
>>49133770
>Too far from humanity
>Demons are affected
>Top kek
>>
>>49133824
Again, it's because their entire schtick is mimicry and they're literally mindforms inhabiting a human body.

I have the impression that Sin-eaters will essentially be able to resist due to having ghosts in their head. If I'm not mistaken, Ghosts aren't effected by Disquiet or anything, other than Ulgans narratively making people more haunted.

>>49133840
Demon's entire schtick is pretending to be human.
>>
>>49133840
Demons are "affected" in so much as their human cover is affected and they can still ignore it because the cover is not the primum.
>>
>The affliction worms its way into the victim’s mind — and the victim doesn’t necessarily have to be mortal. Anything not animated by Azoth is susceptible, including most other supernatural beings and animals. The only entities that don’t have to worry about it are other Prometheans, Pandorans, and the enigmatic qashmallim.

Beasts are immune because they're super special snowflakes and they want to be able to be included in every game ever
>>
Will BtP ever not be shit?
>>
>>49134190
Yes. It isn't shit right now.
Will Beast ever be able to be mentioned without idiots whining that it's the super special snowflakes?
No. No, we will all have to deal with that forever.
>>
>>49134215
What's beast like then?
>>
>>49134279
Wife Beater Simulator 2016™
>>
>>49134190
When Chronicles rolls around to 3rd Edition, they might manage to rework the line into something worthwhile.
>>
>>49134279
It's alternate unofficial name is Abuser: the Justification.
>>
>>49134215
Then McFarland should have left his goddamn soapbox at the door when he wrote it.
>>
>>49134190

All it needs is some direction.
>>
>>49117977
>They're Sin-eaters, but with nightmares instead of Geists
>The nightmares have a secret nightmare lair in the dreamworld
>And actual rules
>They need to be fed by scaring people
>They believe they're related to all the other monsters
>They can feed by watching other supers regain their juice
>They make new powers by watching other supers do things
>There's even less social splats than Geist
>They have nightmare afflicted badguys who think killing Beasts will get them laid
>They don't have a Morality stat, it's their energy stat instead
>There's nothing to do except feed your Horror by spooking people
>Or you can join up with other supers and tag along and feed your Horror by watching them
People treat it like the game is saying abuse is a-okay and Beasts are justifying their actions and trying to say they're the best.
These same people probably defend Vampire and say you can totally feed "safely".

>>49134521
No, he shouldn't. No one should.
>>
>>49134215
>>49134591
Why don't you just go back to the OPP forums Aspel? Fellating Hill and McFarland is generally appreciated there.
>>
>>49134591
Shut the fuck up, Aspel
>>
>>49134591
Oh my I wonder why people would think such things

>Beasts are monsters. They can’t be otherwise. They must be allowed to hunt, feed, and even kill

> Human psychologists draw a distinction between negative reinforcement (teaching a behavior by associating it with the stopping of something unpleasant) and punishment (teaching to avoid a behavior by following it with something unpleasant), but few Beasts feel the need to split that hair.

>Teaching a lesson through terror is morally reprehensible to most people…but Beasts are not people.
>>
Do you apply withstand penalties if the target(s) are unaware that a spell is being cast? e.g. casting a spell to put all the potential sleeper witnesses in the building to ironically fall asleep
>>
>>49135037
Yes, withstand still applies
>>
>>49135048
Cool, thanks.
>>
>>49135048
Unless they get exceptional success ofcourse.
>>
Anyone know how much Benedictions cost in 2e?

Benedictions from the Hunter the Vigil conspiracy, Malleus Maleficarum. Mortal Remains seems to leave that out, but I doubt it's the same flat 5 xp considering the experience changes
>>
Knowing and Unveiling spells seem like they'd all make great Praxis abilities. You're probably going to be casting them frequently, they're low risk, and you'll have tons of reach to play with.
>>
>>49134190
I'm just going off of hearsay. Would it be possible to make Beast not utter shit if you dropped the pretext of them hunting 'heroes' entirely and made said heroes just... utter monsters? Like use the word "Hero" ironically?

Oh yes, He's a hero alright. He's a former Russian general... who now owns a major corporation that puts African children to work mining rare earth metals. A true paragon of humanity, he is!
>>
>>49135732
Hero is already used ironically.
>>
>>49135732

Beasts don't hunt Heroes.

I honestly miss when Beasts created Heroes on accident, mostly because Ahabs are one of the most fun ideas out of Leviathan.
>>
>>49135841
From what little I have seen (MRAs!) it isn't.

>>49135873
well I mean you could still do that, right?
>>
>>49134883
I don't even like either of them that much. I just think these arguments are made by idiots.
Also, the place I go "back" to is here. This is my place.
>>49134886
No.

>>49134994
Oh no, Beasts think highly of themselves. This is something no other splat has ever done at all. Surely no game ever had monsters saying they were totally justified in being monsters. Certainly not a game about vampires in 1991.

>>49135037
That's always how it is, they just can't up their Withstand unless they're aware of it. Also do you mean incidentally or something? "Ironically" fall asleep doesn't make much sense.

>>49135644
Probably is intended to be. Go with what you think is appropriate. 2 is probably best.

>>49135732
Beast don't hunt Heroes, Heroes hunt Beasts. It is used ironically. Heroes are more along the lines of Gaston. Who was a paragon of manliness who also:
>Locked Belle's father up to get her to sleep with him
>Put together a lynch mob
>Realized Belle loved Beast, so wanted to kill him more
>Did it all just to get his dick wet
Also, what Beast needs is direction and focus, instead of being the, what, third (failed) attempt at making a game with no social groups or anything like that? At least in demon it works because of the big high concept.
>>
>>49134886
Just report his bullshit. He won't put on a trip, and he won't shut up, so just report his trolling bullshit.
>>
>>49135952
Aspel, the /game itself/ says the monsters are justified in being monsters. Are you defending this?
>>
When will we get news from the Grand Masquerade? All I want is 4e news. I have been waiting 18 years.
>>
>>49136654
4e is out already man, it's called V20.

5e is next on the table, and that's in the White Wolf department.
>>
>>49136576
I would if it was for a good cause. As is, it seems you'd need to take a scalpel to the splatbook in order to make it less... weird.

Its clear WW were trying to go for an anti-hero sorta thing. They fucked up by making said beasts wholly unsympathetic (and ironically, making the heroes somewhat sympathetic in terms of whats happening to them)
>>
>>49136726
Okay, then 5e.

White Wolf needs to quit fucking around and announce a goddamn game.
>>
File: Zef- The Gangstaing.jpg (282KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Zef- The Gangstaing.jpg
282KB, 768x1024px
>>49131049
>>
Which book is the Armory merit in?
>>
>>49137597

If you mean "esoteric armory," its in the both the new CofD main book and the old free update to the nWoD corebook. I believe the merit is in the ephemeral entities section, rather than the main merit chapter.
>>
>>49137654
I don't mean esoteric armory. I mean the first edition merit.
>>
>>49137789
>>49137597
Doesn't exist in CofD at all, the closest examples are Esoteric Armory and Advanced Armory from Hunter(the Taskforce VALKYRIE endowment)

oWoD has an Armory background, though, I think.
>>
>>49137597
>>49137789

Pretty sure it's in the book of the same name, Armory.
>>
>>49136009
>Taking part in the thread is trolling
>>49136576
It says it as much as Masquerade or Requiem says it.

>>49136887
Beasts aren't wholly unsympathetic. Heroes are only sympathetic if you're some weirdo who thinks killing people for being [thing] is okay. Jesus, the book bends over backwards to pander to people who hated the first draft and people still act like it's the same.

There is plenty of space for sympathetic Beasts, and the book even shows plenty of them off. It also shows spiteful assholes, but that never bothers anyone in the other books.
>>
>>49138189

>Heroes are only sympathetic if you're some weirdo who thinks killing people for being [thing] is okay.

You know, you can dispute one hyperbole without completely falling into the complete and opposite hyperbole. I know you're always ready and willing to go to bat for games like Beast and Cthulutech, but you really gotta think about what you write before you post it.
>>
>>49138189
>Heroes are only sympathetic if you're some weirdo who thinks killing people for being [thing] is okay

Considering we are talking about nightmarish creatures... Yes. Yes I do.
>>
>>49138189
Thats not what makes heroes unsympathetic. Heroes don't care about fighting beasts because its the right thing to do, they only care about fighting beasts because it makes them look good and they're obviously the most important person around.
Anyone else fighting beasts usually has a fairly good reason to be doing so.
>>
>>49138189
>Heroes are only sympathetic if you're some weirdo who thinks killing people for being [thing] is okay.

Really Aspel? You're really gonna play the 'Beasts dindu nutin'-card? When the [thing] Heroes kill is a confirmed torturer/rapist/murderer/cannibal then the Hero is most certainly sympathetic. The fact that McFarland outright wrote that the only 'good' Heroes are the ones that completely ignore Beasts, no matter how monstrous or vile it is in sating its Hunger, is kinda a problem.
>>
>>49138189
>killing people for being [thing] is okay
When that [thing] is a nightmarish monster with no kind of moral compass who either by act or ommission torments the general population (bar crossovers), yeah, I think that's a sympathetic character.

You're not shooting a guy because he's a gay black jew.
You're shooting a fucking monster that drives people mad, because it's a fucking monster that drives people mad.
>>
>>49138534
Don't drag ctech into this.
>>
Does anyone not like the rules for combat in Chronicles? Or at least the defense being so much higher for melee weapons?
>>
>>49138973
It's not 'higher', it just applies to anything that isn't a firearm or otherwise exempt.
Thrown weapon still need to deal with Defense.

It's almost like dodging a bullet is hard, or something.
>>
>>49138973
Something something WHITE ROOM something something REALISTIC.

I find it retarded, personally.
>>
>>49138973
I dislike it. But I take it as purposeful design.

I think they want people to suck at hitting in melee unless they either A) have melee dots B) spend resources to get the hit, plus C) use the environment and tilts.

Unlike guns where spray and pray should be a possibility in dire situations, I rationalize the change as saying 'fights between untrained people are pathetic and usually not effective'
>>
>>49138835

It's like Aspel never read any version of the Hero Sleeping Beauty regardless of draft or final.
>>
>>49138992
The reason I don't like it doesn't have anything to do with guns being super dangerous, that's true for nWoD anyways.

>>49139001
I don't think it's retarded, I just think that it takes away the feeling of "any moment I might die" by giving melee a massive defense boost.

>>49139018
I agree with it being purposeful, it makes the gap between guns and melee intensely large and I see how that can be nice. The problem I find is it makes melee practically useless if the baddies put points into athletics.
>>
>>49139101
Yeah. I was in a hunter game using 2e.

We had to catch a high school athlete once. Innocent girl that might have been possessed.

It didn't go well. She was just slightly overturned, and it made all but our melee bruiser useless. Even if her stats had been closer to normal, we would have been burning willpower to keep nangrip on her.
>>
>>49138835
But Heroes don't kill Beasts because they are evil, they kill out of compulsion.
>>
>>49139227
This is why Defense should be the lower of Athletics and Brawl.
>>
I wanna be the hero
>>
I love the CofD Defense rules... Because they're silly.
Defensive Combat (Weaponry), Quick Draw (Swords), Mage Armour (Fate/Space/Time).

Cut bullets out of the air, or use Space to parry them at someone else.
>>
>>49131705
Do note that when you get to playing the tabletop, most of the powers won't match up with what you see in Bloodlines because of the need to adapt the powers to an FPS.
>>
>>49139315
If a Hero manages to kill that Namtaru Ravager that has stalked, killed, and eaten 20 people over the last month, then guess what? I won't much care why they did it, because that's one less murderous, maneating beastie making the WoD a shitty place.
>>
Hey atamajakki, why do you love mummies so?
>>
>>49139790
What if they get a bunch of people killed in the process because they don't care about the consequences as long as they kill a Beast?
>>
>>49139974

Inherited Egyptomania from my dad, a fondness for how it screws with the default mechanical assumptions of CofD, and the excuse to explore damn near any period of human history in play.
>>
>>49140006
Not that guy, but even if I don't like the hero, I'd still be glad that Beast is dead. I can be against both of them and still prefer one over another.
>>
>>49134994
>Teaching a lesson through terror
This meme needs to end. There is ZERO support for these "lessons" in BtP, and it's painfully obvious that they're used as a justification for Beasts' degenerate urges.
>>
>>49135952
>Oh no, Beasts think highly of themselves. This is something no other splat has ever done at all. Surely no game ever had monsters saying they were totally justified in being monsters. Certainly not a game about vampires in 1991.

VtM vampires' self-importance was nothing compared to the amount of self-fellating that's all the rage amongst Beasts.
>>
>>49140614

Also, that was one of the aspects that people didn't like about Masquerade, or did but then got very fatigued of it after many many source books that leaned too hard on that aspect. of the game. Though, I suppose there's a point to that statement, Beast can certainly come off as a parody of 90s White Wolf games.
>>
>>49140475
when hunter compact that focuses on hunting beasts?

(the one that hunts heroes actually sounds kinda fun)
>>
How would you build a genie character in your favorite gameline?
>>
>>49141078

Roll up a Mummy, make only wishes that involve murder or theft.
>>
>>49140581

I would argue that's intentional, as Beasts try to slap a flimsy rationalization onto their monstrous predation. I'm considering a Dark Era where they excuse their behavior by saying that the gods have sent them to punish mortals when really they're just Hungry.
>>
>>49141078
>Demon
I mean, it's Demon, so...any character is technically a genie?
>>
http://forteancarnival.boards.net/thread/11/introduction-mage-transgression

http://forteancarnival.boards.net/thread/31/lightning-chronicle-dev-thread

So these are things.
>>
>>49141129

gecko pls go
>>
>>49141096

There's a really interesting theme that Beast touches on but never quite dives into where Beasts and Heroes are both power fantasy reactions to feeling powerless in modern society. "Fuck you, I AM the monster" and "Fuck you, I AM your savior" eternally battling because they just can't get with the program is a neat idea.
>>
>>49140834
Right now, none. But the upcoming Merrick institute and Yuri's Group deal with Beasts.
>>
>>49141129
So he wants Mages to be Madmen fighting over making their delusions reality, and wants Prometheans to abandon their quest for humanity and revel in being half-formed proto-men who drive humans away.

Christ, if you want to play oWoD, just play oWoD.
>>
>>49138534
I only go to bat for Ctech to defend the core idea. It's a garbage game. Hero's primary trait is that they kill Beasts for being Beasts. Only Marian is distinct there, in that she kills all supernatural things solely for being supernatural. So, yes, saying they're sympathetic would mean being okay with that.

>>49138827
>>49138583
>>49138835
>>49138872
>>49139790
>>49140475
When any Beast ever is a torture/rapist/murderer/cannibal, then sure, Heroes killing them is fine. But since that is not at all the case, no, I don't think that "Kill 'em all!" is a reasonable solution. Considering they don't care if you're a Beast who goes around fighting drug dealers or who protects dreamers from other nightmares, or who just follows a Mage around feeding on Obsession, and Heroes also tend to care little about collateral damage, no.
I would make a Hunter comparison, but some of you think that Hunters should kill anything remotely supernatural on principle.

>>49139085
I have. She's sympathetic, yes. She and Desmond both don't even realize they're killing people with thoughts and dreams and feelings and wants and goals.

>>49140581
It's almost as if that's the point. It's not justification for their urges, it's a moral guideline for fulfilling them.

>>49140614
>>49140697
Both Vampires do it. Hell, Mage does it as well. Hunter certainly has quite a bit of "this is totally justified don't question the similarities between them and us".
>>
>>49141174
>not delving into theosophical craziness and having Nazi explorations into the idea of racial memory and the Akashic Records lead to the Loyalists of Thule having a bevvy of information on the Primordial Dream
>>
everyone just stop replying to aspel. he's a contrarian shitposter who's desperate for attention.

>>49141078
it's not my favorite gameline, but genies seem very Changeling to me, especially the ones that enjoy corrupting poorly-worded wishes
>>
>>49141078
Powerful Spirit of Fate. Simple.
>>
>>49131705
Character was one from a Geist game. Technically you could get multiple arms as a Sin-Eater with the right industrial merit, they just won't be organic.

Prometheans can have multiple arms if they go full abomination.

Demons can go blazing with multiple arms.
>>
File: old wizard.jpg (93KB, 700x1133px)
old wizard.jpg
93KB, 700x1133px
Mage players! What's your favorite Legacy?
>>
>>49141434

The Kingmakers, because what they do is such a bad idea, but they keep on keeping on.
>>
>>49141434
abyss
>>
>>49141209

There's even a thread on backporting Promethan to oWoD so yeah. They strike me as an oWoD fan who just doesn't want to bite the bullet and play with the ruleset.
>>
>>49141434
>Normal
Stone Scribes

>Left Handed
Carnival Melancholy

>Homebrew
The Strangers
>>
>>49131049
Nothing beats a beautiful, obedient , dedicated, and supremely skilled Assamite waifu
>>
Is the Camarilla a garbage sect, or can it be saved?
>>
I´ve been seen people talk how Beast is cool, but somewhat hard to play.

My question is:

What would you change in the fluff of Beast to make it playable (elaborate on that)? No mechanical changes, if possible.
>>
>>49141672
>What would you change in the fluff of Beast to make it playable (elaborate on that)? No mechanical changes, if possible.
I would change the fact that it exists and that it got made.
>>
>>49141672

Give Beasts social structures, or at least make the idea of family worth a damn. Go full The Fast and The Furious if they have to.

Otherwise, lean harder into the existentialism that comes from being a person born destined to become an obsolete monster in a world of far more efficient monsters. Find your gold, and then sit on it.
>>
>>49141672

I'd put a focus on the Horror and what it wants, how it doesn't just want to eat and eat but to shape a legend. Delve into stuff like Horrors having previous hosts, or being noteworthy monsters from myth.
>>
File: Cncyr-cover.jpg (66KB, 256x364px) Image search: [Google]
Cncyr-cover.jpg
66KB, 256x364px
>>49141174
>Yuri's Group

The dream-research guys?

Wait a goddamn second...

>>49141221
>Moral guidelines
>Justification

Pick one.
>>
>>49141794

>how it doesn't just want to eat and eat but to shape a legend

It's really weird how the whole "make a legend" is, like teaching lessons, something that only comes out of the person aspect of Beasts deciding to do so. The book makes it very clear that Horrors don't care about anything but eating.
>>
>>49141794
Honestly, this sounds like a premise worth running.
>>
>>49141541
It's not the ruleset, it's that they just don't understand the point, because they're dumb.

>>49141129
>Ringmaster of the Fortean Carnival
Assuming this is Geckopirateship, did she really start a forum just to not get called out on being dumb?

>>49141672
>>49141708
There's a post on RPGnet where someone goes through Beast and makes like ten sample Beast social groups, giving them backstories and names inspired by old fashioned religious movements.

>>49141795
I literally said it's not moral justification, it's a guideline, so I did pick one.
It's "we have to do this, so this is what the rules should be".
Also, Yuri's Group is the ones who hunt for Beasts through victim support networks. They're named after Yuri Kochiyama.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuri_Kochiyama

>>49141836
I defend Beast for a lot of things, but overall it's like they saw everything wrong with Geist and said "you know what made this fail? We did TOO MUCH."
At least Horrors have some kind of mechanical weight, I guess.
>>
>>49142129

It's the time honored tradition of the internet: if people disagree with you, go make your own place so that entirely different groups of people can disagree with you.
>>
>>49142129
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuri_Kochiyama
Got me excited for a short moment.
>>
>>49141836
Horrors don't but the horror is only half of it. the horror is like your ID and the person you once were is your Super Ego. What lays between is your new ego. meaning while beasts don't have a morality stat, they still have a quasi human mind in there trying to give rules to the beast.

I say it's like becoming the Big Bad Wolf. Depending on what lesson you want to teach and how you feed, yeah you could cling to some morality, chain your beast up a bit. Doing that might help prevent "Hero".
>>
>>49142304
>meaning while beasts don't have a morality stat, they still have a quasi human mind in there trying to give rules to the beast.
I feel like this would be fine if WoD hadn't built itself up as the game where doing bad things hurts your conscience. Beast feels like a fansplat.
>>
>>49142304
Missed this
>Doing that might help prevent "Hero".
You don't actually make Heroes. Even if you never actually hurt anyone who doesn't deserve it and you're Amatajakki's idea for a Beast that protects sorority girls, you're still going to have Heroes wanting to kill you because that's what they do, regardless of what you do.
>>
File: Rick vs Imhotep.jpg (54KB, 400x276px)
Rick vs Imhotep.jpg
54KB, 400x276px
>>49140173
Would you play in a mortal campaign inspired by The Mummy?
>>
>>49141461
Hell yeah, some Awakening Gambit love!
>>
>>49142941

I unironically love that movie, but there are better systems for pulpy action than CofD: North Africa is doing some interesting stuff in The Day After Ragnarok, for instance.

Though a dark, moody 1920s chronicle would scratch so many of my itches simultaneously. I have a weakness for flapper fashion.
>>
>>49142941
Hell yes.
>>
>>49142941

Hell yes, I would. "Revenge of the Mummy: Orlando Version" would also be acceptable.
>>
>>49142941
Very yes.
>>
>>49143023
I think a lot of people love the movie. I love it to death.
>>
File: image.jpg (189KB, 488x750px)
image.jpg
189KB, 488x750px
has anyone ever used a theme park for anything in game? I'm thinking of stealing some shit from The Park cause the players are playing little kids
>>
has anyone watched Jonathon Strange and Mr Norrell?
>>
>>49144026

There's an awesome Monsters and Other Childish Things campaign that partly takes place in a theme park called Road Trip.
>>
>>49144230
I watched most of it back when it was airing. It's pretty decent; could work for Mage inspiration, if you ignore the fact that they do magic in plain view of other people(works better for owod Victorian Mage, desu)
The Gentleman is also good inspiration for a True Fae/those he deals with are good Changeling inspiration, as far as their general attitude/paranoia goes
I watched all but the last episode, which IIRC I planned to watch, but I kept putting it off because I was busy with other stuff, until I eventually forgot about it, but now I'm not even sure what was happening when I last watched it so I'm considering a full re-watch

Jonathan is a great character though, from what I remember.
>>
>>49144399
Jonathon is ninety percent of my pcs. Though I tend to go Jack Kirby with my True Fae rather than old school tall tales
>>
>>49144026
Why are you Jefferson?
>>
>>49144634
Because he's a cool ass dude and also I thought I posted that one of my games was set in colonial Britain
>>
>>49144772
Can't argue with that.
>>
>>49141521
Almost forgot: If something says you use the higher of Wits or Dex (like Duck and Weave) you'd use the higher of Brawl or Athletics as well.

My player gets +4 Defense when she uses Duck and Weave.
>>
Would you allow people who lack arcana but can cast "spells" (such as Proximi) to add secondary spell effects (like + Mind 2) as Reach effects?
>>
>>49145226
No.
>>
>>49145226

If it was coded into the effect to begin with (e.g. the Proximus bought it as a 4 dot merit, 2 of Arcanum A + 2 of Arcanum B) I might allow it, but not on the fly no.
>>
>>49145483
Why not?

>>49145501
So like, they buy it with additional Blessing Dots would mean they were allowed to use those effects on it?
>>
File: Time for tragedy.jpg (101KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
Time for tragedy.jpg
101KB, 640x360px
A friend told me Deviant would be able to satisfy our need for dark toku? Will I have to wait for that to come out or can I jury-rig something to work like Garo in the meantime?
>>
>>49135929
>well I mean you could still do that, right?

Nope. That part is cut in it's entirety. Heroes now exist just like Beasts, as a kind of built in defence system for humanity, to keep the Beasts in check.
>>
>>49142533
Beasts don't make heroes true, but when they become too hungry they can "activate" the sleeping hero. If you never allow your horror to go roaming though dreams to feed and allways keep it fed, always keep yourself in check from going overboard and killing and instead just beat the shit out of your prey instead of murdering them (even though killing them would be so much more filling) just walking around doesn't turn heroes on. Sleeping horrors don't activate the insane, bug crazy, narcissistic, polar opposite of the beast. So unless you spend most of your time in the 0-3 band and any other beasts in your group don't spend too long in the 0-3 band you'll be fine.

Just like a vampire that doesn't call attention to themselves doesn't have hunters crawling all over their home.
>>
going off an old anons thing, what'd you do in colonial Britain?
>>
>>49145927
You mean like when Britain was a Danish colony in the 500's?
>>
>>49145938
I assume he means that time when Britain was colonizing everything, which is, like... most of British history.
>>
>>49132334
Vampires can use the Blush of Life.

Why does this autism come up all the time, vampires are both living and dead, Mage has affecting them as matter-death and optional life arcanas, its not like its hard to look it up.
>>
>>49145984
Guess it was kinda vague, I'm the anon he was talking about and I was talking of setting it in the British American Colonies
>>
>>49146130
Nobody cares about vampires

SO boring, Mages can use any sphere to manipulate them just like they can beat any other splat
>>
>>49145938
900's. Also, it wasn't a colony, it was part of the territory of the Danish crown. Colony is a later idea.
The Viking age started at around 800.

Unless you mean how the Anglo tribes migrated from Denmark in the 3rd to 6th centuries along with the Saxons.
>>
>>49146387
How did a discussion on Promethean Disquiet turn into an oWoD pissing contest?
>>
>>49146471

Because acting like a pompous caricature of a Mage fan literally always fucking works and I'll keep doing it until you dumb niggers figure it out.
>>
>>49146537
Well, yeah. I suppose I count as a dumb nigger since I can't fathom why it jumped the CofD-oWoD barrier.
>>
I'm reading over the Promethean section on the Demon STG and I really love the way the Demon STG handles other supernaturals. It uses that sort of Hunter way of doing things (though Changeling's ST section did it first) where it gives you ways of doing what you need to do without actually having the book. It suggests giving Form Abilities as Bestowments, for example.

It's also got some good plot hooks. Like a Promethean who's Disfigurements look like the Demon's true form. Or a Demon that makes a Soul Pact to give a Promethean humanity and creates a Firestorm; the Promethean is gone and now Angels and Qashmal are for some reason working in concert. Qashmal can also see through Cover.

They also suggest using Form Powers for Cheiron agents, though most of the Hunter one just lists off simplified versions of their Endowments. They only have Cheiron, TFV, and NetZero listed in that section.

There's some neat stuff about Geists, too, with a supposed difference in culture between modern sin-eaters and "the old guard".

This Stereotype about Mummies is choice:
>Psychopomp: You can lead one like a donkey with a relic stolen from its lair as the carrot and turn it loose on your enemies. This is a terrible idea.
>>
>>49146537
Who's acting?
>>
>>49146728
>with a supposed difference in culture between modern sin-eaters and "the old guard".

Old guard: Parties, funerals and spectacular magic

Modern: #SinEaterLivesMatter
>>
Can Geist characters see everything in Twilight, or just ghosts?
>>
>>49146756
>Sin-Eaters present unique challenges to the Unchained. Unlike other supernatural entities, Sin-Eaters’ paranormal concerns rest squarely with the dead. Unless a demon is willing to brave the Underworld, the Bound must be dealt with in human terms. That has its own challenges. With two minds in one body, “troublesome” doesn’t come close to defining how hard it is to pull one over on a Sin-Eater. Their only common goal, as a people, seems to be helping ghosts move on.

>The ethos of modern Sin-Eaters revolves around unpredictability and celebrating life. Older-generation Bound are generally more serious. Their grim outlook is not simply a matter of age, however. Something runs deep in the bones and plasm of the old guard, something that the Unchained don’t yet understand. The current generation, meanwhile, uses their second chance at life to celebrate it, resulting commonly in a carefree attitude and an irreverent take on the supernatural. The one time all Sin-Eaters are in lockstep is when someone or something interferes with ghosts, or the Underworld they’ve been charged to protect. In those cases, the full extent of a Sin-Eater’s powers are on display; the only recourse is to run or redirect blame onto someone else, ideally a mutual enemy
Don't racebait. Or controversybait maybe. #Baitgate

>>49146777
Everything in Twilight is essentially in a different Twilight, so most likely, they'd only be able to see ghosts without a special Key.
>>
>>49146796
>Everything in Twilight is essentially in a different Twilight,

I know this is true in cofD, but was it that way in nWoD?
>>
My players are completely uninterested in y-splats, selecting them just for the mechanical advantages and proceding to ignore all the fluff. What to do with munchkins in CofD?
>>
>>49146929
Hit them with the disadvantages anyways. This was the future they chose.
>>
>>49146728
I think playing a group of demons trying to earn sway with fae lords. Like trying to put fae against the God Machine and see what's left standing
>>
Does anyone know of a good dice bot for Discord that can do nwod/cofd dice?
>>
Why is VtM animalism so bad?
>>
>>49147374

>Why is VtM so bad?

FIFY
>>
So is the scion kickstarter in 2 weeks time or what? I really want to see something here.
>>
So anyone got an idea for how to translate despond into a VtM discipline?
>>
>>49145675
You can jury-rig anything if you're willing to spend the time to write up the powers or use existing mechanics and reskin. Many of the 'inspiration' series for Deviant: The Renegades are similar to many early toku, especially Kamen Rider, in that 'you are now a superpowered dude fighting against the evil org that made you superpowered'. Otherwise, we know shit all else about it.
>>
>>49147345
Somebody please answer this guy, he's been posting that for like two weeks now.
>>
>>49147850
>>49147850
Good fucking god, can NO ONE on 4chan fucking Google?

https://www.reddit.com/r/discordapp/comments/4vfbqi/looking_for_a_dice_bot/

https://discordapp.com/oauth2/authorize?client_id=169456930362884098&scope=bot&permissions=297921599
>>
>>49147884
4Chan is in a perpetual war of needing information And refusing to give information because "fuck you, no spoonfeeding"
>>
>>49147928
I get that sometimes people can't find things, and other people are better at manipulating google, but 9 times out of 10, Google hasn't even been tried. That was one of the first links when I googled discord dice roller.
>>
>>49148085
That doesn't make it good. They weren't just asking for a dice roller, they were asking for a GOOD one. Meaning they wanted a recommendation not just how to google for one. It's like going to a restaurant and asking what's good? to the waiter and having them roll their eyes and say read the menu. Does that mean the waiter doesn't eat at this place so the food must be universally shit, or that they think it's all good and have no opinion of what they like over the other dishes?
>>
>>49148222
WoD General is not a Discord forum. If he's not getting answers here, he would need to branch out to actual places where people discuss Discord at length and would have more knowledge. I'd imagine with the sheer fact of I READ NOT PLAY on 4chan, no one uses Discord to play or really gives two shits about playing via discord anyway.

The thread on reddit is full of recommendations for the dice roller programs. It's called research, and normal people who are looking for good restaurants and shit will go to things that talk about that. This is like going to an car forum and saying 'Yo, what's a good pet groomer?' It's fucking asinine.
>>
So I'm building a mage and I came up with this artifact for my dedicated magical tool. It's a Seraphim's sword. I want to make sure I'm doing this right.

The blade burns with angelic wrath, calling upon it the fires of Aether. This spell is automatically cast when the blade is drawn, and lasts until it is returned to it's scabbard. As a by product of this effect the temperature in any room or location drops by 20 degrees, as the blade draws in and magnifies the ambient thermal energy. For 1 mana per attack this damage may strike empheral targets. This power can be cast on 5 die. (Prime 4, Gnosis 3, -2 Potency increased by 1) With 2 reaches, Instant cast and Advanced duration (1 scene)

The blade also has one other power. It may call forth a pillar of angelic golden flame, this counts as a blast with a damage of 2, A blast area of 3, and a force of 3. The damage counts as coming from fire for the purposes of weaknesses and immunities, and for a mana the blast area damage may hit empheral targets. This power is activated with a casting roll of 5 dice [Prime 4 + Gnosis 3 -2 for potency increase], an an attack roll of [Arcana 4, + Gnosis 3 + weaponry]-defense with a range of the mages gnosis x5, x10, x20.
This has 1 reach - Instant cast

Do I do this right?
>>
>>49148299
Didn't he say he was looking for the program to play CofD on discord?

Which means that would be closer to going to a car dealer and asking "Hey which of these trucks is good for towing a pet grooming station behind it."
>>
STing M:tAw 2e and one of my player is an Acanthus. He asked me that if Lucky Number can guess a number, he should with a Fate 2 spell locate addresses, locations of persons and thing just by pointing randomly at a map. Is this possible with such a low rating of Fate?
>>
>>49148593
Yeah.
>>
What do you guys think of a Legacy that causes you to wake up in different city if you sleep in a specially prepared bed.
>>
>>49148759
I feel like this might just be a way to ritual cast Teleport.
>>
MAGE POD WHEN
>>
>>49148347

Don't make your dedicated tool also your artifact merit.

It's placing too many eggs in one basket. If you lose or some someone takes away the artifact, you're doubling screwed.

Choose something totally inconspicuous for your dedicated tool to avoid problems or raising suspicion.
>>
>>49148347
But...I'm an Obromos Arrow. What am I supposed to make my Dedicated tool? A swiss army knife?
>>
Opps
>>49149387 is for >>49149367
>>
>>49147345
>>49147850
>>49147884
>>49147928
>>49148085
>>49148222
>>49148299
>>49148376
Look, I get that he's looking for something in particular and not just the default, especially since WoD wants more than the norm, but for fucks sake, if no one answers you for two weeks now, that means no one has an answer.
I'll assume you're Altasaire and talking to the guy about Sidekick, though. But seriously if no one had an answer for two weeks, it meant no one had an answer. I'm not even against "spoonfeeding", it's just simply the fact that no one could help unless they did literally the easiest thing for you.
>>
>>49149387
>But...I'm an Obromos Arrow

Play against type and surprise your enemies.

Also, you can't exactly carry a sword in most places, even in the USA. Don't handicap yourself (or needlessly use spell slots to disguise weapons).

If you insist on a big flaming sword, since it's an artifact, have it change shape or disguise itself from sleepers. I suggest it be an umbrella in its Fallen form (which can also be used as a rod or staff Path tool if made of the proper material, i.e., steel, gold, petrified wood, etc.)
>>
>>49149490
...Actually wait. A tool as a dedicated tool, It has a blade, probably two of them along with a widget for everything including something stuck between your teeth. And not exactly illegal to carry. Maybe a swiss army knife isn't a bad choice for dedicated tools.

Though I don't want to burn up more than 1/2 my starting merits on this artifact and I think it's good enough as is. Though the question still stands did I calculate the pools and everything correctly? Didn't leave out any reaches, or add any more modifiers? Given that I'm likely going to be facing things like the Pure and vampires given the game I'll be in, I'm rather keen on Lunargent or something along those lines.
>>
>>49149540

Lunargent does no more damage to werewolves than basic silver.

Read Dave's Signs of Sorcery spoiler about perfected metals.

http://theonyxpath.com/sheer-perfection-signs-of-sorcery-open-development/

Also, choose powers from you artifact that you cannot accomplish with your own Arcana, otherwise you're basically duplicating powers.
>>
>>49149726
>Lunargent does no more damage to werewolves than basic silver.
Not him, but it's still badass and I'd want it over regular silver.
>>
>>49149839

I would expect a ST to increase the merit cost for any artifact or imbued or enhanced item made of a perfected metal.
>>
>>49149839
>http://theonyxpath.com/sheer-perfection-signs-of-sorcery-open-development/
Conisering it's a sword I was rewarded with by a Seraph maybe Oricalcum would be more fitting. Since it's aligned to that plane of existance and Lunargent isn't.

I tired to think of good none prime/forces effects for an Angelic blade but those were the best I could think of. Any advice would be greatly appericated.
>>
>>49149941

Any perfected metal resonates with the Aether. ALL perfected metals are listed as appropriate materials for Obrimos in the relevant Mage sidebar.

In fact, for a monster-smiting sword, I would definitely choose Siderite over both Lunargent and Orichalcum.

You really cannot think of ANY appropriate abilities from Arcana other than Forces and Prime?

As a start, how about it being blessed (Fate), giving its user strength and vigor (Life) or will and purpose (Mind), or the ability to cleave through virtually any armor or barrier (Matter).
>>
>>49150087
that's umm...Better than what I just thought of.

Mind 2 Veiling - making people disregaurd the fact that I'm carrying a sword all together because it doesn't seem out of place or catch their attention.

Maybe a fate effect that makes it more likely to hit like granting 9 again or 8 again? Or some sort of fraying death effect? going to look at the death arca for a moment. That sort of combination might work good for an angel of death.

Have to say I'm going to be sad to see the smite with divine wrath go away for now. I'll have to get that later with XP when I hit Prime 4.

Siderite? I guess that works, but may I ask why the ability to bypass durability is okay I guess but I don't see it's usefulness.
I was thinking that the +2 bonus on self buffing would let me push up some of the scale things,
>>
>>49150289

How about Fate's Exception Luck as a good "blessing."

Also, as a Yantra, the sword already helps your Obrimos' inherent ability to smite stuff with divine wrath with his Ruling Forces and Prime effects.

Read through the sample spells for all the Arcana and imagine how many of them would be useful in melee combat with monsters. It's all a matter of narrative exposition when explaining the how and why of the effects.

Remember, the Aether is composes of all the Arcana, even Death.
>>
Be a Vampire. Seduce a man using Disciplines who is in a loving marraige. Wife is a Mage what do?
>>
So, Sin-Eaters will still have Keys, but no longer have manifestations, but "Haunts" as their powers, which will be tighter and more thematic and made to feel mechanically different than other splats. There is also intent for this edition of Geist to actually have supplement books (So far it seems like it would possibly include new powers and focusing on back on Abmortals)

http://forum.theonyxpath.com/forum/main-category/main-forum/the-new-world-of-darkness/geist-the-sin-eaters/399463-will-geist-get-the-2e-treatment/page20
>>
>>49150353
Yeah I was thinking about that. So maybe change >>49150374
Pray wife didn't study death for forces. If she did, move to a new city, change your name, and dye your hair, make sure you burn everything you ever owned in that city. Leave not a lock of hair or toe-nail clipping behind.
>>
File: Celestial Churros.jpg (83KB, 650x398px) Image search: [Google]
Celestial Churros.jpg
83KB, 650x398px
>what I always had on my mind while playing Mage: The Ascension
>>
>>49150423
Oh man, I love the idea of a pissed off obrimos housewife setting a vampire on fire.
>>
>>49150676

One does not normally Awaken to the truth of the universe, brave the winds and fires of the Aether and etch their name in the Watchtower of the Golden Key and remain a hausfrau.
>>
>>49150741
She just keeps her mage life separate, duh. Her husband did notice she was acting a little holier than thou lately.
>>
Okay so....
If I do this for the sword.
Superlative Luck (Fate 3) - Base effect for duration weaponry rolls are rote. +1 Potency to add 9 again, to weaponery rolls - Duration Scene
Casting pool 3 dice So far unless I can push this up to a 5 dot again.
>>
>>49150772

A vampire will surely suffer the Nimbus effects of an Obrimos mage. It will likely not be pleasant for the vampire.
>>
>>49150827
Just loving this idea more now.
>>
>>49150817

You don't need 9 Again if you have the rote action quality. Look for bonus dice to weaponry rolls.
>>
What kind of action is spellcasting?
>>
>>49150943

A dramatic action by default, shortened to an Instant action by spending 1 Reach, and /sometimes/ shortened to a Reflexive action by spending 2, depending on the spell.
>>
>>49150741
Those sweet sweet Shadowname benefits only count if you maintain a very separate mortal life.

>>49150817
>>49150844
Superlative Luck is a boring use of power, and you can already get 9-Again by two-handing a sword.
Hell, just giving it equipment bonus is more useful than 9-Again anyway.
Giving it a Mind 2 Veiling spell is more interesting.

>>49151004
Extended; I think "Dramatic action" might be Exalted terminology?
>>
>>49151228

It is, but calling it an extended action felt misleading because you aren't rolling a bunch of times to reach a target number (Extended action), you're just rolling once and it's taking a long time (dramatic action in Exalted; not sure if it has a name in WoD).
>>
>>49151255
Fair enough.
I think I'd characterize it as an extended action that only requires one success, as Extended is the catch all for anything that requires long times.
>>
>>49151228
>Those sweet sweet Shadowname benefits only count if you maintain a very separate mortal life.

One does not need to be a hausfrau or soccer mom in order to maintain a separate Fallen life, and such an existence would not only be a waste of time and resources, but boring and stifling to most compulsive and obsessive mages.
>>
>>49151228
>by two-handing a sword

That's terrible for a mage. You should always have at least one hand free in order to employ a rote mundra and/or use a Yantra tool.
>>
>>49151621
9-Again is pretty terrible to begin with.
>>
>>49151693
Not terrible so much as given undue importance. It's better than 10-Again.

>>49151621
It is the Yantra, and you only need two hands when swinging it. As an Arrow, many of his Mudras that would be useful in combat will be Weaponry based anyway.
>>
>>49151822

9 Again is good if you already have a large dice pool, particularly if you're shooting for an Exceptional Success.

It doesn't matter that the sword is a Yantra, you still want at least one hand free to use ANOTHER tool Yantra, or often more importantly, employ a rote mundra. If you have no hands free, forget about Rote bonuses.
>>
>>49151948
Again: The weapon itself is a Yantra. You can use a one handed (or Weaponry based) Mudra while using a sword.
You can also only use one Yantra a turn anyway, so it doesn't particularly matter.

If your one Yantra requires a free hand, you can simply STOP HOLDING THE SWORD WITH BOTH HANDS.

Holding a weapon and using a mudra at the same time is completely possible.
>>
Just got out of a penny arcade expo panel about horror in RPGs.

People on the panel...
Two people from Paizo (including their editor in chief), a diversity consultant, and a guy I'm pretty sure worked on Apocalypse world (but the only one who had worked on wod at all)
>>
>>49152368
What's your point?
I mean... why bring this up? Was there anything relevant said?
>>
>>49152449
Maybe, pretty fun panel.
>>
>>49152449

I guess they're surprised that there isn't any WoD or CofD developers on the panel but Paizo's done horror influenced adventures before. If I know the panel they're talking about, they also have a guy who worked on Unknown Armies, so I don't see what the problem is.

All the OPP people who aren't just working are either at Grand Masquerade or FanExpo, so it's not like they were snubbed for PAX.
>>
>>49152531
Tell us about it, then.

>>49152553
I'm more surprised no one from Call of Cthulhu is there. That's generally the ur-example of a horror RPG.
>>
>>49152553
Yeah, he was the one who worked for ww in the past. He did mage the ascension work.

They also had the creative director for red hook, the guys who made darkest dungeon.

They talked a lot about what makes horror work in a tabletop game, and some of their favorite tricks. A lot of it was about knowing when to step away from the rules (something Chris Perkins said at his panel as well).

Also, slow ramping your horror (unless the game is empowered horror). And making sure that people have time to process so they don't get overwhelmed by the horror.

They brought up the xcards, the consent cards, for horror in particular, since elements may creep people right out.

The first qa question was about the age old wod question. How do you do horror when the players are monsters. Their answer was 'make the horror bigger than the players. Or make the world terrifying. Make them invested, because even a vampire clings to something, then make that in danger.)
>>
>>49152714
They also unanimously agreed that Dread is the best system ever made, so RIP all other horror games.
>>
>>49152588

Chaosium is in a bit of a transitional period at the moment. The last people bungled up the campaign for the new CoC edition super hard, so much so that some of the old guard from the 70s had to purchase the company and get it back on track. It's doing all right now, but they've got their hands tied trying to sort that out rather than be at PAX.
>>
>>49152916

Meanwhile Arc Dream is putting out pure gold.
>>
>>49152714

Yeah, Ryan Macklin. Pretty cool dude, and the books he did for Ascension were good.

>>49152751

I mean, that's pretty true. Turns out the role-playing game designed around one of the most tense family games ever created is really, really good for horror role-playing.
>>
>>49152916
>The last people bungled up the campaign for the new CoC edition super hard,
Huh. What happened?
>>
The adding athletics/brawl to defense is bad game balance, because even a skilled warrior has a hard time hitting someone with decent athletics/brawl.

Now I know most fights between skilled warriors have lots of parrying, but with the nerfed damage on melee weapons, a sword hit doesn't even hurt the foe very much, making melee weapons pretty much useless.
>>
>>49153110

If I remember right, the Kickstarter for the snazzy deluxe edition of Horror on the Orient Express bankrupted the company when they had too many physical add-ons as stretch goals and fulfillment wound up costing something like triple what the Kickstarter paid for.

geekandsundry.com/cthulhu-company-kickstarted-itself-to-death-then-this-happened/
>>
>>49153418

Oh, it was Horror on the Orient Express that did it? I always figured it was the one for CoC 7e.
>>
Would a martial artist that lands a lethal heart shot tilt on a promethean have his hand eaten by the Azoth?
>>
>>49153478
Technically, it was both
>>
Anyone got a copy of Geist 1.1 I can download? I can only find 1.0, and dead links from the general ages ago.

Thanks in advance
>>
>>49153390
You do realize that weapon damage is better now, right?
I'm not even sure what you're going on about. You also seem to misunderstand a) what game balance means, and b) the fact that the game is working under the (mistaken and regrettable) assumption that you won't try to intentionally break the game.

My 'fix' (really just a personal preference) to fix this is to limit it to the lesser of Brawl or Athletics.

I still think that someone who has high traits in both of those SHOULD be able to defend better, because... well fucking duh.

Frankly, I'd make it more complicated and have separate Dodge Defense and Parry Defense, but that would be too difficult to explain, and require complex interactions based on who you're fighting and how you're fighting.

>>49153728
It ain't really worth it anyway.
>>
>>49153765
>It ain't really worth it anyway.
Worth it to me anyways, I still would like to have it because it's nice for reading and playing until 2e comes out.
>>
>>49153780
No, I mean that it's not substantially different from 1.0.
https://a.pomf.cat/avbbhe.pdf
>>
>>49153941
Enough that it helps though.

Thanks for the download friend. I hope you have a good day and live a long life with many children.
>>
>>49153979
I don't want children! Don't put that curse on me!
>>
>>49154067

It's too late, you're going to have at least twenty children. Internet blessings are the most powerful blessings.
>>
>>49154081
>Mages
>No sense of right and wrong
>>
>>49149387
A steel weapon? Yes, certainly. Strong symbolic connection to your primary role, made of a metal with a strong connection to the Aether.
>>
>>49150441
Oh man I fucking love Churros, but there's only like two fucking places in my city which make them, and they're a gourmet desert place so it's stupid expensive.
>>
>>49154431
No costco in your area?
>>
>>49154622
One, apparently. Infuriatingly far away in the Western Suburbs. I don't exactly live in America.
>>
>>49154081
>>49154120
Now I've got this picture in my head of a Mage who goes around using Life to make people extra fertile and Fate to help them get laid and make sure their contraceptives fail.
>>
I hope we get some previews out of the Oprheus chapter in W20.
>>
File: Angel_of_Death_Sword-M600.jpg (60KB, 751x174px) Image search: [Google]
Angel_of_Death_Sword-M600.jpg
60KB, 751x174px
I think I got a death effect at death 4 please check my math.

The blade also has one other power. It may call forth the power of the reapers scythe. Attacks from this weapon add potency damage as raw necrotic energy pulses through them granting them a clean end and if damage dealt is equal to or greater than Stamina healing effects treat the wounds as 1 type higher, so Bashing is treated as lethal, lethal as aggravated, and aggravated as 2 aggivated. As the flesh filled with death's power refuses even false life of the kindred. (Death 4)
>>
>>49155482

We probably will, considering that Orpheus is being paid special attention to in trying to help it fit a little more in Wraith's setting. They'll probably want to show that off ASAP.
>>
Any news out of the Grand Masquerade?
>>
>>49155612
And how is this a weapon manifested from the Aether, of which the inferior Arcanum is Death?
>>
>>49155904
Crap, I figured... well back to the drawing board. Maybe just the mind view and accuracy enhancement is all I need?

But does that feel angel's sword enough?
>>
>>49155612
I don't see any maths there.
Just give it Devouring the Slain at 4 dots for instant casting and sensory range.

You'll get a LOT more use out of that than some "extra bashing damage".
>>
>>49155612

Interesting power, but I don't see how it would be connected to an artifact of the Aether without a lot more explanation.

Death Arcanum effects can certainly be justified form Aethereal artifacts, but the "power of the reaper's sycthe" seems incongruous.

I would choose appropriate defensive Death effects like soul armor or exorcism or *very* dramatic effects like sever soul.
>>
>>49155904

Artifacts from the Aether can certainly manifest Death effects. Death is the Inferior Arcanum of the Aether, but it is still definitely present. In fact, attempting to acquire such artifacts is precisely one of the benefits of using the Targeted Summoning Arcanum Attainment,
>>
>>49155988
>But does that feel angel's sword enough?
When I think Angel's sword, I think of the unrelenting majesty of the Aether. Which cleaves through the solid and Ephemeral alike, and channels the energies of that realm.

Not really a sword which hides itself from all eyes, and has a touch of luck about it.

For a sword with persistent effects like those, I'd suggest going for an Enhanced Item rather than an Artifact. Artifacts have too much Realm-Baggage for a customised weapon. Those you can order from your Order.
>>
>>49156121
>touch of luck about it

Not "luck," rather "blessed."
>>
>>49156291
Sure, if you're going the Blessing angle. Though in such situations I think less Fate's "bonus dice" and more Prime's ability to protect you from enemy spells, and attack creatures which would assail you from Twilight.

I would mention the biggest problem with your sword is that when you want to use its abilities, you've got to spend actions to cast them as per the spellcasting rules. Not the best for dangerous situations.

I'd still just go for an Enhanced Item, those have persistent effects.
>>
File: beast the primordial.jpg (230KB, 779x958px) Image search: [Google]
beast the primordial.jpg
230KB, 779x958px
>>
>>49156480
Addendum:
If you're still interested in going for that Sword, go for spell effects that you're happy to cast from the sword.

e.g. Perhaps keep Exceptional Luck, and use the reflexive casting reach option for a start-of-combat buff which doesn't take up your action.
Then use the other spell effects as one-off castings, not further enhancement effects.
Such as Supernal Dispellation to cleave other's spells in twain, or Control Weather and Call Lightning for annihilating motherfuckers with 10 Bashing damage.
>>
Is it easier to get an infant become a sleepwalker while he isn't as acclimated to the Lie yet?
>>
>>49156655

The Lie isn't like the Consensus; it's in your soul.
>>
>>49156535
So much bait
>>
>>49156655
No. You can't "make" someone a Sleepwalker bar powerful Prime or Fate Magic, and even then that only lasts as long as the spell does.

The sidebar in pg 172 could be interpreted as saying someone without a sense of self isn't infected by the lie, however even were it not conjecure, anyone sapient enough to comprehend the world would certainly be affected.
>>
>>49147637

Same, I'm chomping at the bit.
If the prices for it are sort of ok I might put some money on God's war too but I can only decide that when I know what Scion's going to be like.
>>
>>49147637

I think Gen Con and the Grand Masquerade tossed a wrench into things. Fingers crossed for next week but I'm not holding my breath.

What stretch goals are everyone hoping for? Neal's mentioned doing the Persian gods, the dead Gaullish pantheon, and a Voodoo expansion for the Yoruba gods.
>>
>>49156982

Honestly, I'll have to see what the Kickstarter entails and if they're doing the Hero, Demigod, God threesplit again or if they're working from one corebook with various 'expansion' books like regular CofD.

If the latter, I'd like indepth books on the various pantheons as stretch-goals. Like what are the Aztec Scions like, what are X scions like and what mythological shit might they enconuter, what odd situations could they be sucked in due to their heritage.

For Stretch goals in the books? Unsure.
>>
>>49157044

This Kickstarter is just for Origins and Hero + extra stuff for them. Demigod and God will be later books independent of this KS, and likely have their own crowdfunding campaigns.

We already know a little bit about what to expect in those later books; the Mesopotamian and Polynesian pantheons have both been mentioned for Demigod, but any Pantheons can scale up or down every tier of play. There's also a unique Genesis coming in God, the Incarnate, which I was a little bummed to see pushed back.
>>
>>49132641
Any link to provide for this? Your claim has caught my interest.
>>
>>49155879

Doesn't seem like there's any. Last tweet on the official White Wolf Twitter was this: https://twitter.com/tobiassjogren/status/771994670603743232
>>
File: I know this is bait and yet....webm (3MB, 1075x600px) Image search: [Google]
I know this is bait and yet....webm
3MB, 1075x600px
>>49156535
>>49156731
>So much bait
That's clearly a Beast Friend.

>>49156655
>>49156687
>>49156814
Repeated exposure to the supernatural can indeed rip the scales from someone's eyes and make them a sleepwalker.
There's even a merit specifically for that kind of sleepwalker.
Doing this to anyone, especially a baby, would probably be a pretty big Wisdom sin.
>>
>>49157585
Yeah, that's not making them a sleepwalker.
That's shooting them until they learn how to Dodge.
>>
>>49157652
I mean, they are still a Sleepwalker.
Just a traumatized one.
>>
>>49157652
>Fitful Slumber (•)
>Prerequisites: The character has suffered three or more breaking points due to exposure to the Supernal or Abyss and is now considered a Sleepwalker, even if he did not start the game that way.
>Effect: Because of the regular abuse, your character is able to resist breaking points triggered by all things Abyssal or Supernal with a +2 bonus.
>>
Be housewife cook have shadow persona of a wise prophet. Cabal mates can't get enough of my cooking. They can't shut up about it now the the entire local Caucus wants my my home made stuff. They joke around calling it a local Mystery.

Ask hubby how was his day and says it was hectic because of a series of strange events at the office that made it difficult.

Maybe I should really change my Oblation from cooking.
>>
>>49157834
>>49158106
Well yeah... But the term "making" in this case doesn't seem appropriate.
You're tearing apart their mind to purge it of the Abyss's influence.

You're ruining it, not fixing it.

Plus it's not guaranteed to work.
>>
>>49133824
both vampires and werewolves have souls
>>
>tfw the only game I'm in that didn't die in the past week is Vampire
>tfw I have nearly died every session of the game, because a majority of the NPCs we've met have now either gone missing or tried to kill us, for various reasons(the only exceptions are Anarchs, and we're all in the Camarilla, but they don't know that yet)

>tfw I still want to run or play Unknown Armies, but nobody in my Vampire group is interested in it, and the other group I used to play with already has 4 fucking games going right now, and I haven't played anything with them in just over a year so I'm scared of even suggesting it
>tfw I'm legitimately considering trying to recruit from /tg/

I know this probably isn't the place to bitch about my game troubles, but there is no Unknown Armies thread, and this thread is in need of a bump at the moment
>>
>>49159490
>someone recruiting for an Unknown Armies game

I literally never thought the day would come. Have you seen the drafts for 3e yet?
>>
File: image.jpg (160KB, 509x768px)
image.jpg
160KB, 509x768px
Need you guys' help on making npcs.

What characteristics can you guys generate from following pics? Sorry for being lazy. I just need some inspiration.

Pic: Npc 1
>>
File: image.jpg (52KB, 620x387px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
52KB, 620x387px
>>49159586
Pic: npc 2
>>
File: image.jpg (38KB, 294x400px)
image.jpg
38KB, 294x400px
>>49159586
Pic: npc 3
>>
>>49159619
God I fucking love Brandon Routh.
>>
>>49159586
+2 watch size
seriously though, I'm getting shifty "something's after me" vibes
>>
>>49159605
old harry potter
>>49159619
clark kent
>>
>>49159528
Yes
I'm the guy who posted earlier this week and asked if you'd ever tried porting Avatars or anything else from UA into CofD
>>
>>49159695

Ah, I remember now. Hit me up if you end up needing a player for a UA one-shot.
>>
>>49159586
Knowing what game its for might help, but assuming they're intended to be ordinary mortals,
>>49159586
Paranoid boss of one of the PCs who may or may not be onto what they are, if he doesn't already know that the supernatural exists. May end up following the PC at some point, and getting caught in some manner of supernatural crossfire, trying to find proof of whatever he suspects.
>>49159605
Librarian who keeps subtly trying to get one of the PCs to look at a specific book every time they come in, and if/when they finally do it turns out to be something magical(whether it's good or bad is up to you)
>>49159619
Someone's co-worker, or alternatively just a friend, who definitely knows about supernatural shit, and is dabbling in a bit of magic himself. Will probably end up killing himself with it, if nobody stops him.
>>
>>49159746
Oh, they are npcs for a Hunter chronicle.
>>
>>49159810
In that case, the boss is probably just annoyed at the PC missing work, or something, and thinks he might be up to bad things
>>
>>49159586
Your boss
>>49159605
Creepy dood who may or may not be the real bad guy
>>49159619
Helpful scientist
>>
>>49156480
Which is what I thought, then I turned to get help on the Mage forum and they said "Don't do that do an artifact it's a better use of your dots and super cool." You know what...I'm going to do exactly that. I'm going to just go enhanced item, get myself the Blessed blade that is cleverly veiled and Screw the angel blade. It's an awesome idea but everyone keeps telling me I'm doing it wrong.
>>
>>49159586
Rich guy living in the big house on the hill. Everyone in town pretty much works for him, even if they don't know it yet. His connections are deep, and so are his pockets. May be a Ventrue
>>49159605
Hammy Actor. Always over acts, couldn't under act if the director stood over his shoulder with a cat of nine while giving him direction. He's doing a show down at the theater. May or may not be a promethean using the fact that his shows travel from town to town to avoid fire storming places.
>>49159619
A reporter, who writes the tough articles no one wants to read. He's exposed more corruption than anyone else. He's very good at it too, almost like a predator searching for his prey who are abusing their power. Huh? Him? A beast tyrant? You gotta be kidding me just look at that face how could you possibly think he is feeding on the after math of his stories? That's just silly. He's a normal guy. I swear.
>>
have you ever set a game in a time period that isn't now?
>>
>>49161019

Did a Mummy one-shot in Victorian Egypt.
>>
>>49161204
How'd it go?
>>
>>49161405

Well! It was a one-shot for a player new to Mummy, set during an Egyptian officer's revolt that led to the British shelling and occupation of Alexandria. He loved it, but the later attempt to roll it into a campaign failed horribly.

More than anything else, I love Mummy for historical flashbacks.
>>
>>49161019
Victorian Mage. Didn't last long enough for my tastes, and mixing an ultra-orthodox Catholic with a Thief and a Gypsy didn't go too well.

I had such plans.
>>
>>49161435

please don't use racial slurs
>>
>>49161490
No
>>
>>49161490
Always forget gypsy is even considered a slur.
>>
>>49161019
Ran a game in a vaguely historic medieval england. The idea was to have them play these ancient ancestors, and then translate their choices to the lives of their heirs. It failed, but I want to try it again some day.
>>
>>49161524
Its not.

t. gypsy
>>
>>49162037
Yes, I'll take your word over the numerous Roma who say otherwise, including at least one that I personally know.
>>
>>49162508
What would be a non-slur way to call them?
>>
>>49162565
>Roma
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romani_people
Though, frankly, "Gypsy" is of more uncertain pejorativeness than, say, nigger.
It is, however, a misleading and incorrect term, as not only is it not used by the groups in question, it's used for several disparate groups, such as the Rom and Travellers, who have no ethnocultural connection other than being itinerant peoples among largely stationary cultures. None of them are from Egypt, though.
>>
Someone make a new thread, I'm lazy
>>
For common mortals/sleepers, what benefit/'appeal' do the Traditions have over the Technocracy? What would be a reason to support their paradigm?
>>
>>49163314
Who cares? Ascension is shit, even for being Mage.
>>
>>49163314
Eliteness. The notion of "shortcuts" however misinformed. Desire to be different. Faith.
Thread posts: 321
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.