[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/ccg/ Custom Card General /cct/

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 305
Thread images: 116

File: 1472598250974.png (2MB, 1401x1800px) Image search: [Google]
1472598250974.png
2MB, 1401x1800px
Neat artifacts edition.

Old Thread: >>49083993

To make cards, download MSE for free from here
http://magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/

>Hi-Res MSE Templates
http://pastebin.com/Mph6u6WY

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Read this before you post your shitty card!
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Design articles by Wizards
http://pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: http://pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: http://pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Art sources.
http://www.artstation.com/
http://drawcrowd.com/
http://fantasygallery.net/
http://grognard.booru.org/
http://fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
http://old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
http://pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj
>>
Saw something in an earlier thread about allied swords. Was contemplating what that would look like.

Thoughts so far:

Sword of Might and Justice

+2/+2 pro green/ white

whenever equipped creature deals damage to a player, distribute 3 +1/+1 counters among creatures you control and destroy up to target artifact or enchantment the defending player controls.

Sword of Wrath and Madness

+2/+2 pro red/ black

Whenever equipped creature deals damage, each player sacrifices a land and deal 2 damage to each creature and each player.

Thinking up the other three now. Thoughts on these? Obviously the casting and equip costs are the same as the other swords. Is the rakdos one too strong/ gw one too weak?
>>
>>49102418

Sword of Plots and Cruelty

+2/+2 pro black/ blue

Whenever equipped creature deals damage to a player, look at that players hand and destroy target non-black non-artifact creature they control.

Sword of Law and Insight

+2/+2 pro white/ blue

Whenever equipped creature deals damage to a player, scry 2 and until defending players next upkeep his or her spells cost 1 more to cast.
>>
>>49102630

Sword of Speed and Brawn

+2/+2 pro red/green

Whenever equipped creature deals combat damage to player, equipped creature fights target creature the defending player controls and search your library for a land card and put it into play tapped.
>>
>>49102787
>>49102630
>>49102418
Swords are on combat damage to prevent pingers from triggering effects.
Other than that, they're hard to balance because they are all so swingy and the ones that already exist already have a pretty distinct difference in power and utility.
>>
>>49102284
>Neat artifacts edition.
>>
File: Mirror of Unsight.jpg (45KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Mirror of Unsight.jpg
45KB, 375x523px
>>49103739
Oops, forgot image
>>
File: Wall of Mirrors.jpg (46KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Wall of Mirrors.jpg
46KB, 375x523px
>>49103760
>>
>>49103794
So what happens if it blocks a white creature with "protection from white"?
>>
>>49103638
ehh yeah that was an accident, I intended it to be on combat damage.

Very true.
>>
>>49103927
They would just bounce off each other, no? Same as if you cast an instant that gives pro white to an attacking creature after they're blocked. Or am I missing another factor.
>>
>>49103927
The Wall of Mirrors would become a copy of the attacker, becoming white in the process and thus no longer a legal blocker. This would remove the Wall of Mirrors from combat. However, the attacker would still be "blocked".

The better question is what happens if it gains the ability to block more than one creature? The answer is, it becomes a copy of each of them in whatever order its controller wants, which effectively means the controller gets to choose which creature it becomes a copy of.
>>
>>49103760
"gains" is only used for gaining abilities. You just "put" counters on permanents.
"dies" is also only used for creatures. Everything else you "put into the graveyard from the battlefield"

>T: Put an illusion counter on target creature
>When ~ is put into the graveyard from the battlefield, destroy each creature with an illusion counter on it.
>>
>>49104238
It doesn't remove the Wall of Mirrors from combat. Protection's "can't be blocked by X" only matters when blockers are declared. All combat damage that would be dealt to either of them is prevented, although some may trample over (e.g. a 4/2 Pro-White Trampler will trample 2 over). (CR 509.1b)

This can be circumvented in weird ways. For example, big Teysa, who has Protection from Creatures, can be legally blocked by the Saproling produced by Flash Foliage, because Protection only matters as blockers are declared, and Flash Foliage skips that step. (CR 509.7b)

Also, Timeanon, how do you feel about Magic going to Eqypt plane after Kaladesh?
>>
>>49104355

>"dies" is also only used for creatures. Everything else you "put into the graveyard from the battlefield"

True, but there's not a good reason for it. I'd just as soon save some ink.

Fixed the other issue though, thanks.
>>
File: Bag of Holding.jpg (46KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Bag of Holding.jpg
46KB, 375x523px
>>
>>49104785
It doesn't really make much sense for inanimate objects to "die" aside from saving text space.
>>
>>49104839
You don't need to target the exiled card. You can just go "T: Put an artifact exiled by bag of holding onto the battlefield." Also the whole lose the game thing seems drastic, maybe just a one-sided wipe of some kind?
>>
File: download.jpg (460KB, 750x1569px)
download.jpg
460KB, 750x1569px
>>49089224
Right!

>>49093312
It does have a high power level! BR did pretty good in playtests, but UR dominated. Here are some cards from the BR deck. :3

>>49091864
But it was never put into the graveyard.

>>49091864
Hm. Fan of the tax, the other bit's weird. D:

>>49091947
>Brood
My man, that spider is weird. There has to be a better way of doing what you want, which I'm not sure what it is.

>Clashing
Hm. Not digging the -1/-1 counter on green. Don't get it either.

>Dread
That's a really powerful card.

>Forgiving
Guess it's ok.

>Sentry
That's pretty white. Could make all your opponents creats get -X/-0.

>Fumes
This I dig. Really strong.

>Peakweb
Janky.

>Plague
Hm. Wasn't there a goblin that did this?

>Sprite
Cute.

>Exhalation
That's interesting. It might break your set, but at W, some people might run it on some weird metas. Or EDH.

>Wood
Hmmmmmm. Might be a bit too powerful.

>Remains
Cool card, especially with putrid wood.

>Sentry
Aiii.

>Venom
Same ability as Peakweb, maybe you could make a Peakweb vertical cycle for the ability.

>Swarm
Heh.

>>49092188
Hmmmm. Is that ability good enough?

>>49092992
Hmmmm. Don't really like a reskinned devotion, also the names don't really stick with you, do they? I also have to ask if you're trying to do a set that works as a whole; or if you're doing this to see 'what would happen if'. Do love the lore.
>>
Here's one you guys can make for free. I woke up with this card in my head yesterday.

Quickening Vial (name subject to whatever
0 cost artifact
U, T: Put a charge counter on [this].
T, remove a charge counter from [this]: The next noncreature spell you cast this turn may be cast as though it had flash.

Alternatively you could have it cost 1 mana and come into play with a counter already on it or something.
>>
>>49104839
This might need a clause to make it non-creature artifacts otherwise you can just durdle behind an ornithopter for eternity, bagging it before damage then pooping it back out
>>
>>49104839
>>49104910

what the fuck? lose the game? one sided wipe? what an arbitrary effect. i understand it's probably for flavor but just do what every other card wanting it has ever done and say "Exile target artifact not named Bag of Holding".
>>
>>49104839
I'd like to see a deck built around this wincon. Get out two of these things, stick one in the other, then while that effect is on the stack trade him to the other guy with that one goblin that lets you give your shit to the other guy.

"Hold this for me"
>>
>>49105284
It's a meme, dude. You gotta relax.
>>
File: Manaflow Abberant.png (225KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Manaflow Abberant.png
225KB, 375x523px
>>
>>49105201
Repeatable effects on artifacts tend to cost a good chunk of mana or enter with a limited number of uses.
>>
File: Poison2.jpg (684KB, 1125x1569px) Image search: [Google]
Poison2.jpg
684KB, 1125x1569px
Some reworked cards, and some i haven't shown.

Plaguemare I'm not really sure of yet, but happened to see the art and liked it for a card, and I'm not sure Asp Charmer fits in with the set, but I like Nafs Asp.
>>
>>49106703
>Asp Charmer
>Is a Snake creature

Your cards are pretty undercosted.

Asp Charmer makes free tokens that also have an ability.

Fumeborn Specter is a 1B 2/1 flyer with no downside

Lakeform should be formatted with sacrifice into its cost rather than its effect.

Plauguebearer, you basically turned an instant into a creature at the same cost.

Plaguemare is a 4/3 flyer for 4B, which is already great. That it gets boosted above its 4 power is generally something you either base its entire power off of instead of on top of its base 4.

Underfort Viper is a Gnarlwood Dryad that's likely much easier to activate in the type of format you're building.

Undergrowth Swarm is a bear with a upside which is already good for black, but making it distribute counters on block makes it too much.
>>
>>49105497
"Keep it simple"
>>
File: Reduce to Essence.png (285KB, 375x523px)
Reduce to Essence.png
285KB, 375x523px
>>
>>49108131
basically a free artifact destroy? Maybe it only adds 2 back of each?
>>
>>49108896
A monogreen version already exists.
>>
File: deconstruct.jpg (27KB, 223x310px)
deconstruct.jpg
27KB, 223x310px
>>49108896
>>
>>49108930
>>49108910
excuse me I'm retarded go about your business
>>
>>49105220
if you can't beat a fog bank, the problem isn't the fog bank.
>>
>>49108982
I think the bigger problem is its potential for Uba Mask locks and dodging/resetting hate cards like Static Orb and Tangle Wire, as well as soft ramp by resetting mana rocks in formats like Commander. There aren't a ton of useful flicker targets among artifact creatures, but some are probably gross enough to be concerning, like Duplicant, Skuller, and Strix.
>>
File: 1423101673405.png (430KB, 500x375px)
1423101673405.png
430KB, 500x375px
>spend an hour trying to make an interesting kraj planeswalker
>realize literally every interesting idea you want to do is horribly overpowered
>>
>>
File: Timeless Aspect.png (235KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Timeless Aspect.png
235KB, 375x523px
For your archival pleasure.
>>
File: UZuhl Skulltaker.jpg (42KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
UZuhl Skulltaker.jpg
42KB, 375x523px
Was making some WH commanders for fun and found that "dies during combat" is only used once in the history of the game and way back in Tempest

I wonder why, it seems like a pretty useful and simple effect
>>
>>49110082
Most of the time it doesn't really matter.
>>
>>49104646
>Also, Timeanon, how do you feel about Magic going to Eqypt plane after Kaladesh?
Not too bad, actually. I'm also drawing inspiration from some other cultures, and I'm doing some pretty distinct mechanical and flavor stuff, so I don't think their set will devalue mine too much. Plus, I'm almost through with the uncommons, so I should finish before Amonkhet spoilers even start to drop.
>>
>>49110082
I think there are probably a number of "when a blocking/attacking creature dies" effects out there as well, which could have the same general effect.

Also would "dies during combat" mean that creatures who are neither blocking nor attacking but die (somehow) during the combat phase would count towards the trigger or not?
>>
>>49110972
>
Also would "dies during combat" mean that creatures who are neither blocking nor attacking but die (somehow) during the combat phase would count towards the trigger or not?
Yeah, it consists of the beginning, declare phases, and end of combat.
>>
File: Blood Fervorv2.png (279KB, 375x523px)
Blood Fervorv2.png
279KB, 375x523px
Wording seems clunky, but I believe it is correct.
>>
>>49114435
so this is supposed to work on creatures with activated abilities, etc...? I think it'd be something like, at the end of the declare attackers step (that way it gives them a chance to block (which I believe this intends to), I feel like the current iteration doesn't specify a timing correctly.
>>
>>49114435
So if I tap a creature to activate an ability in precombat main phase, then go to combat, that creature is considered attacking. Does that mean it'll deal damage just like any other attacking creature? I like it.

>At the beginning of each combat phase, attacking player untaps each tapped creature he or she controls. Those creatures attack this turn if able.

Might be a little simpler?
>>
File: Uncommon_Cycle_New_Khans.jpg (328KB, 1875x523px) Image search: [Google]
Uncommon_Cycle_New_Khans.jpg
328KB, 1875x523px
I'm beginning a project which has swirled around in my head for a while now. A return to Tarkir.
Before I go full autistic about my super special snowflake plot, etc, I thought I'd post this first set of trial uncommons.
Any and all critiques are accepted.
Also, if anyone has any good art resources that aren't in the OP pasta, let me know.
>>
>>49116225
Narset seems underpowered. Also
>When ~ enters the battlefield, choose target instant or sorcery card in your graveyard. ~ deals damage to target creature equal to the number of cards in your graveyard that share a name with that card.
perhaps.

Somebody is going to freak out about how Base P/T isn't a referable attribute of an object and then we're going to get into a long argument about how even if it isn't under current rules, stretching the rules to allow it isn't terrible egregious.
>>
>>49116341
I was thinking of making the red guy X+2 but I was concerned about that being too much. Then again, he's basically a way worse Flametongue Kavu as is.
As for Mr. White, little creatures matter is the theme of his colours, so I wanted to have him show that. I see how people could get bootyblasted about that, but really as you said it's just opinions on that really.
>>
Broken or shit? Can't quite decide.
>>
>>49116534
The problem is that you throw it in Dredge and you've got an 8/8 beater for freesies that prevents creatures with non-0 power from existing on your opponent's board. Not that Dredge is a great metric by which to judge cards, but still.

It needs to have to be cast first, because getting an 8/8 for free with upside from milling is ridiculous.
>Whenever ~ dies, return it to the battlefield under its owner's control with eight +1/+1 counters on it.
>>
>>49116593
I can't believe I didn't think about dredge. Goes to show how much actual MtG I play anymore. This fix the problem?
>>
>>49116225
Since you're making a full set I'm going to go ahead and talk about these with drafting in mind.

>Undertaker
Functional but boring.

>Disciple
In draft this is basically a 3/1 prowess for 4 with a ping 1 on ETB. I'd say either bake it 1RR or damage equal to number of total inst./sorc. cards, or maybe a choice between number of instants or number of sorceries.

>Brood
This seems awful. You want to cast it for X=huge, but you can't do that unless your board got wiped or you milled your entire deck? AND you don't get to recur/delve those creature cards? I'd remove the extra cost and change the regeneration to cost 1G and maybe exile any 2 or 1 creature card.
Another possibility would be to fix the cost at, say, 2GG and give it "As ~ ETBs, exile all creature cards from your graveyard. ~ ETBs with that many +1/+1 counters."

>Mystic
It seems like this isn't going to do anything other than its ETB. Make it a 3/1 or something; as it is it looks more like a Jeskai card. I also dislike the "you control" / "you don't control" part of the ability. Sure that's how you're going to use it most of the time, but using stuff like this counterintuitively is one of my favorite things in Magic. Just imagine giving your opponent's Spellskite hexproof in response to them redirecting your bolt. Doesn't that sound like fun?

>Initiate
As the other anon said, we talked about "base" P/T" a couple threads ago. Basically Wizards never uses it like this, but the rules don't actually say you can't; you'd just specify that it refers to layer such and such somewhere in the comprehensive rules. If you don't want to deal with that you can always try to find other wording that have a similar effect, e.g. basing it on CMC or making it trigger on combat (whenever a creature with P/T 1/1 you control attacks or blocks, it gets +1/+1 until end of turn, etc.).
Other than that I like how it tells you how it wants to be played without needing a lot of text.
>>
File: FRF_Khans_Cycle.jpg (302KB, 1500x523px) Image search: [Google]
FRF_Khans_Cycle.jpg
302KB, 1500x523px
Help with wording, balance, etc would be appreciated. Yes there will be a fifth, I haven't thought of a fun thing to put into it's text box and don't want to force it.
>>49116712
Those were really helpful Anon, thanks so much. Some of the choices made here were to do with set mechanics, so maybe I'll post a set of uncommons which show those mechanics off, might make things make a bit more sense. I'll definitely take your suggestions into account, thanks again!
>>
>>49116672
Having "instead" makes it a replacement effect, but "Whenever" implies that its a triggered ability. I'd prefer a triggered, because it means it doesn't dodge graveyard hate, which is how most decks would take care of this beastie, but the two variants are
>If ~ would die, exile it instead, then return it to the battlefield under your control with eight +1/+1 counters on it.
>When ~ dies, return it to the battlefield under your control with eight +1/+1 counters on it.

I'd say make it an 8/8, cut the last ability, and just have a supremely sticky beater. It having repeated removal on itself is ABSOLUTELY broken, because you can just spam the removal ability as much as you'd like. Oh, they have more than eight creatures? Just kill Ouroboros by repeated activations and you get more counters, so you can just activate it again.

>>49116778
Yasova's Wisdom is going to end up with any smart opponent picking something impossible like Tribal, so you might as well just not let them pick. Unless multiplayer shenanigans is what you want.

I assume there's +1/+1 counter synergy for Daghatar's Protection, or I'd say just give it +6/+6.
>>
>>49116845
Khansguy here, with regard to Yasova's wisdom it was originally going to be creature, noncreature or land. I thought that might be too much and so went with what I have. What does /ccg/ think?
>>
>>49116778
>Wisdom
Honestly there's no reason for your opponent to do anything at all here. Their choice only matters if you flip 7+ types. How likely is that?

>Valor
I'd prefer it as an instant, even if you usually use it aggressively.

>Protection
Okay, technically this is different from just giving it +6/+6, but is it really worth the trouble? Could also be 1 cheaper.

>Revenge
Mind Rot + Zombify is mono black. Also consider that on turn 6, people tend to have no cards or lands in hand, at least in limited, so the discard doesn't do much. Can't really come up with anything on the spot, though. Maybe take a look at Extract from Darkness and go from there.
>>
>>49117127
I was thinking of having Revenge mill them instead, but then it's just that one card that was recently reprinted in EMA. I'll rework it entirely I think. Perhaps copying a creature in a grave,á la Body Double.
Protection gave counters due to my autism wanting it to echo Daghatar's abilities on his card, but it would clean the text up so much to get rid of the counters part and just have it be +6/+6.
Wisdom I already referred to above.
Valor i thought may be too cheap at instant, but then again it is a rare, and Rally the peasants is an uncommon and is somewhat similarly costed.
>>
>>49117186
Forgot my image, sorry.
Rip apart my shitty mythic, your (You)s give me life.
>>
>>49117186
Valor costs 5 mana so if you pass the turn holding it up it's going to be very obvious and thus the opponent can play around it, so I don't think it being an instant could ever make it OP.

>>49117198
>... their hands revealed.
If his title is oppressor I think his evasion should mirror that. I suggest getting rid of the conditional hexproof and make it a double meddling mage on ETB or something. Maybe make it a 5/5 to go along with the other iterations.
>>
File: Blood Fervorv3.png (278KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Blood Fervorv3.png
278KB, 375x523px
>>49114515
At the end of the step seems better, even if referring to phases and steps is odd.

>>49114710
That's what I intended: for utility creatures to be marked as attacking. Untapping creatures would inevitably end up with the player just tapping them again though.
>>
>>49118987
I think you need to declare who those creatures are attacking.
>At the end of each player's declare attackers step, he or she chooses another player. Each tapped creature he or she controls attacks the chosen player this combat. (Those creatures attack even if they're tapped or otherwise couldn't attack.)
Or something like that.

Alternatively
>At the beginning of combat on each player's turn, untap all creatures that player controls. They attack this turn if able.
>During combat on each player's turn, players can't tap creatures to cast spells or activate abilities.

Or even
>At the beginning of combat on each player's turn, untap all creatures that player controls. They attack this turn if able.
>During combat, players can't cast spells or activate abilities.
>>
File: Yeenoghu Demon Prince.jpg (48KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Yeenoghu Demon Prince.jpg
48KB, 375x523px
>>49118987
>Tapped creatures can attack as if they were untapped. Tapped creatures attack each turn if able.

That's how I'd write it.

Pic somewhat related maybe.
>>
>>49119274
I dunno if he's actually a demon, but I think in Magic canon Demons are artificial constructs of pure black mana, and so can't have sparks. Correct me if I'm wrong, though, because I can't remember where I heard that originally.

Also, aside from making a green beast, could really be mono-Red.
>>
>>49119274
Well it looks like the wording on that card was somewhat different than what I threw out there. Either way, my point was, it's best not to skip the part where they're declared as attackers.
>>
>>49119319
Say that to Ob Nixilis.
>>
>>49119342
To be fair, ob wasn't always a demon.
>>
>>49119319
Isn't there a golem planeswalker? As in, an actual literal construct? Would be weird if a golem could have a spark but a demon couldn't. But yeah, weird for a demon to be green and weird for a demon to be un-black.
>>
>>49119428
Karn was given his spark by venser.
>>
File: VillageCycle.jpg (554KB, 1125x1046px) Image search: [Google]
VillageCycle.jpg
554KB, 1125x1046px
I like lands. I'm going to post some lands.
>>
>>49119342
>>49119398
>>49119428
>>49119493
Alright, well safe to say there is some wiggle room here.
>>
>>49116672
That thing can instantly wipe an entire board. You can also discard it (turn one with something like Faithless Looting) and then wipe you're opponent's creatures. It can dodge exile removal by killing itself as well.
>>
File: Rolling Hills.jpg (37KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Rolling Hills.jpg
37KB, 375x523px
>>49119496
An idea for a sort of dual land.
>>
>>49119496
I believe the second ability excludes them from having the basic land type. Lands that also have the type only tap for the one or two colors of mana and nothing else.
>>
>>49119548
That's not true at all.
>>
File: Sharelands.jpg (1MB, 1875x1046px) Image search: [Google]
Sharelands.jpg
1MB, 1875x1046px
>>49119542
People either love these or hate them. I think they're neat.
>>
>>49119579
The only other examples I can see are from Lorwyn/Shadowmoor. And by "basic", I meant the land subtype which allows it to be searched.
>>
File: 322.jpg (60KB, 312x445px)
322.jpg
60KB, 312x445px
>>49119496
>>
>>49119662
There's nothing that prevents lands with subtypes having extra mana abilities.
>>
File: Lurkers.jpg (2MB, 752x3661px) Image search: [Google]
Lurkers.jpg
2MB, 752x3661px
>>49119613
And this was a weird idea I had.
>>
File: C4 Dreadreef Octopus.jpg (34KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
C4 Dreadreef Octopus.jpg
34KB, 375x523px
>>
>>49119724
The only example of such things occurring is in the Lorwyn/Shadowmoor block, which is what I said.
Every other land except the few in that block specifically, omit the subtype.
>>
>>49119784
There's a difference between haven't and can't.
>>
>>49119829
There's also such a thing as following precedence and modern design philosophies. Just because a land taps for a certain color of mana doesn't mean it can or should have the subtype.
>>
>>49119274
That might be the best way to do it. I did want to avoid some attack triggers, but both multiplayer and planeswalkers require targets to be pointed out as >>49119162 mentions.
>>
>>49119613
All things done and done, you still get access to two colors of mana untapped. Even when your opponent uses it, you still get the better half of the exchange (being colored mana as opposed to generic).

>>49119729
These shouldn't be basic lands. Also how does it even work? Are they just all the same front side with different backs?
>>
>>49120490
>All things done and done, you still get access to two colors of mana untapped. Even when your opponent uses it, you still get the better half of the exchange (being colored mana as opposed to generic).
Well, yes. A dual land doesn't need a massive downside, so the fact that you get the better end of the deal is by design.

>These shouldn't be basic lands.
They have to be: otherwise would could only have 4 of them because they all have one side with the same name. I could use the Relentless Rats "any number of cards named X" ability, but that would just add more lines of text to an already fairly full card.

>Also how does it even work? Are they just all the same front side with different backs?
Yes.
>>
File: Bloody Mess.jpg (38KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Bloody Mess.jpg
38KB, 375x523px
>>49110082
What does melee do?
>>
>>49120829
When a creature with melee attacks, it gets +1/+1 for each opponent that you've attacked this turn.
>>
>>49120656
Most duals enter tapped because otherwise it's just a strict upgrade of playing a basic land. Having access to more than one type of mana on an untapped land is pretty important, which is why it's so limited in the first place.

By definition, a basic land is just that. Basic.
I don't actually like the concept of "morph for lands", but it can be solved almost identically as morph cards, with the front face being normal and the reverse side being the land. An opponent already can't look at a face-down card.
>>
File: Apex Predation.jpg (41KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Apex Predation.jpg
41KB, 375x523px
>>49116778
I feel like Yasova's Wisdom would be more interesting if the choices were made before the reveal. Also that way your opponent can't just choose something that didn't get revealed. If they are smart enough they'll choose tribal anyway.
>>
>>49120889
That's simple, but cool for multi player.
>>
>>49121023
It was introduced in Conspiracy 2 and I have to say it's pretty good.
>>
>>49121023
Multi-mode cards changed to a new format. Takes up more lines, but easier to read. Now it's
Choose one --
:: blah blah blah
>>
File: Skitish Troll.jpg (39KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Skitish Troll.jpg
39KB, 375x523px
>>49121065
That's probably why I'm not familiar with it, I haven't really looked at that yet.
>>49121096
Right I made this a bit before they changed it, I'll edit it later.
>>
>>49121230
You spelled "skittish" wrong
>>
File: Valley of Usurpers.jpg (37KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Valley of Usurpers.jpg
37KB, 375x523px
>>49121247
So I did. I fixed it, but I try not to eat up the image limit with minor fixes.
>>
>>49121416
A land really shouldn't have an ability this powerful, as it essentially can't be countered. But if you want to keep it, at least make it sacrifice itself for the ability.
>>
>>49121416
So a better mountain?
>>
>>49121576
It's Legendary.
>>
I agree with >>49121494. I don't mind Legendary lands that can tap for color, because Kamigawa did them, but their effects sort of have to suck in the process.
>>
>>49121671
>because Kamigawa did them
>their effects suck in the process
They existed before (and after) Kamigawa, and not all of the Kamigawa ones are bad. That being said, >>49121416 is fucking busted.
>>
>>49121494
>>49121671
I tried to rebalance it without making it worthless. Do you think it could keep tapping for R or should I keep it as colorless to be safe?
>>
>>49121972
I think it has more than enough potential/utility as a board wiper and a mana source. Granted, the legendary part doesn't matter as much since you sacrifice it, but it can still punish you for trying to play too many.
>>
Has something like this been done yet?

UB

Protection from cards that share a name with a card in your opponent's graveyard.
>>
>>49123491
Probably? I haven't seen it myself, but seems as reasonable as a wacky protection effect can be. More formally, it'd be
>Protection from spells and permanents that share a name with a card in an opponent's graveyard
Because very rarely do "cards" have effects that matter. Cards are only cards when they're not on the stack (spells) or on the battlefield (permanents), so "protection from cards" means you're safe from things that trigger strictly from the graveyard/exile (like Kozilek's Return), from the hand/graveyard (like a cycled Gempalm Incinerator), and from the hand (like Forecast).
>>
Has MSE got the special Paliano frame yet? Animus of Predation, Archdemon of Paliano, etc?
>>
File: Image.png (128KB, 223x311px) Image search: [Google]
Image.png
128KB, 223x311px
>>49125380
Whoops pic.
>>
>>
>>49126596
Why the "any"? Just say "Players may cast sorcery spells as though they had flash."
>>
>>49126618
Oh, makes sense. It was a bit of a old card that I think only intended for you to be able to use, but I cut the cost and made it shared.
>>
File: Horns of Power.png (265KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Horns of Power.png
265KB, 375x523px
>>
>>
File: Vaasil Legion.jpg (122KB, 750x1046px) Image search: [Google]
Vaasil Legion.jpg
122KB, 750x1046px
>>
File: Moonlit Lovers.jpg (46KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Moonlit Lovers.jpg
46KB, 375x523px
>>
Live! ;-;
>>
File: Bloody Salvation.jpg (40KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Bloody Salvation.jpg
40KB, 375x523px
>>49126972
Die! Also, how much life is too much life for a Chaplain's Blessing at Instant Speed that requires you to sac a creature?
>>
File: Succubus Impaler.jpg (45KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Succubus Impaler.jpg
45KB, 375x523px
>>49127178
Right after posting that, I was like "8 is too much. More comfortable at 6."

Also this thing. When I was looking at the history of black removal in the context of this, I was surprised to see we've had the same effect, sorcery-speed "Destroy target tapped creature" at 2B, BB, and now 1B + Madness. Also at 1W, 2W, and 3W.

Makes you really think about how they use the cost of removal to tune set power level.
>>
>>49126972
Neat
>>
Don't play EDH that often with large groups, just how broken is this
>>
>>49126905
briddy gud
>>
File: Paradise Guardian.jpg (51KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Paradise Guardian.jpg
51KB, 375x523px
>>49127590
Politely speaking, overcosted and unplayable. Also, Melee triggers when the creature is declared as an attacker, and counts how many players were declared as attack targets... which means that Myriad tokens, which don't technically attack (they come in attacking) don't get Melee and don't count for Melee.

So yeah, it's a nonbo on a RRR stick.
>>
>>49126905
Why not just make Kni-Soldier tokens?
>>
>>49126927
I don't really like free card draw.
>>
>>49120962
strikes me as a very jund effect.
>>
>>49119729
awesome idea. shouldn't be basics imo, but all in all I think this idea is sweeeet
>>
>>49119729
>>49128910
that said, eel of everdeep should definitely return itself to hand, that is a super powerful effect.
>>
>>
>>49126697
I don't care for the flavor text. I feel like it's only there to explain the ability.
>>
File: Prophetic Sphinx.jpg (40KB, 375x523px)
Prophetic Sphinx.jpg
40KB, 375x523px
My take on a sphinx's riddle
>>
>>49129493
I like the flavor.
>>
>>49129326
how is the flavor golgari?
>>
File: FRF_Khans_Cycle.jpg (386KB, 1875x523px) Image search: [Google]
FRF_Khans_Cycle.jpg
386KB, 1875x523px
I don't know at what point this constitutes spam, but again, all critiques and wording help is appreciated. I would try to review other cards but I really don't think my opinions are of much worth.
>>
>>49131028
Bollocks, Daghatar's Protection is now just a straight +6/+6.
>>
>>49131028
>Search your library for up to one instant
That doesn't seem like enough time
>>
>>49131115
Arigato.

Wording on this keyword appreciated. I'm in two minds about this, to do it the way I have it in the card shown, or whether it should be Remembrance, [cost] and then "When you remember this card, [Effect]" elsewhere on the card.
>>
>>49131165
>Remembrance — [Cost], Exile this card from your graveyard: [Effect]. Activate this ability only any time you could cast a sorcery.
>>
File: Hellraiser.jpg (48KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Hellraiser.jpg
48KB, 375x523px
How's the mana costing on this? Too low?
>>
>>49131277

You'll want 'Into play attacking' for those tokens.
>>
File: Common_Mechanics_Cycle.jpg (358KB, 1875x523px) Image search: [Google]
Common_Mechanics_Cycle.jpg
358KB, 1875x523px
Common mechanics showcases.
>>
>>49119729
I love this idea too, but I'm a FoWfag who enjoyed the rulers that could be two different sides on flip (take Pandora, who had both a White and Black side on the flip and you didn't know which you were facing until it flipped. One was way better, though...)

Definitely shouldn't be basics, but I like the idea.
I'm also not sure that "X is 'X'" actually works, but then, it might.
>>
File: Sphinxs Supplicant.jpg (36KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Sphinxs Supplicant.jpg
36KB, 375x523px
>>49129493
From a terrible cycle of "iconic matters" creatures.
>>
>>49135440
Why not make it something like "Scry 1. Then, if you control a Sphinx, draw a card." or something else along those lines?
>>
>>49136823
Yeah, that's a lot better. I made a full cycle of these guys, as well as an instant/sorcery cycle, but they came off sorta bad/mediocre because they're 2/3 drops that are only good if you have a 5+ drop iconic creature. White gave indestructible, black destroyed creatures at the cost of life, red bolted, and green doubled countered. I thought it was a clever idea and then came to dislike it halfway through making them.

Posting cards I actually sort of like.
>>
>>49131307
>>49131277
>into play
It's "put blahblah tokens onto the battlefield" and if you want them to attack as well you do the previous chunk + "tapped and attacking." Better yet, you can look forwards to the rewording that's happening in Kaladesh and say "When ~ attacks, create blahblah tokens." though I'm not sure how to use that wording if you want them to enter the battlefield attacking.
>>
>>49138540
Create token tapped and attacking I would assume.
>>
>>49138665
Probably. I like how intuitive "create" is and I'm really surprised that they didn't do it earlier. Kaladesh is actually looking neat with FUCKING VEHICLES HOLY SHIT YOU CAN HAVE CARS DRIVING BLIMPS GOD DAMN
>>
I'm too much of a dipshit to come up with my own ideas. Tell me a unique setting or something interesting to make a set around and I'll make a set based on it.
>>
File: 1472845951898.jpg (129KB, 593x813px)
1472845951898.jpg
129KB, 593x813px
>>49138708
Well, I guess we know where Pirate Guy ended up.
>>
File: Velrav Castle.png (657KB, 800x559px) Image search: [Google]
Velrav Castle.png
657KB, 800x559px
>>49138882
Go through the planechase cards and pick something.

>>49138708
BELIEVE IN ME WHO BELIEVES IN YOU
>>
>>49126927
I could see that as a 4-of in Manaless Dredge
>>
>>49129702
Not him but nearly all sewage eventually ends up at the sea.
>>
>>49140804
Or mana dredge, or bazaar dredge.
It could be fine in the context of its own set though.
>>
File: Kolstad Elk.jpg (119KB, 750x1046px) Image search: [Google]
Kolstad Elk.jpg
119KB, 750x1046px
>>49140300
Dredge?
>>
File: Kolstad Beast.jpg (120KB, 750x1046px) Image search: [Google]
Kolstad Beast.jpg
120KB, 750x1046px
Dreeeedge.
>>
File: ttgl.jpg (266KB, 1500x523px) Image search: [Google]
ttgl.jpg
266KB, 1500x523px
>>49140300
Something something drills.

>>49141095
I wish this was common because it'd be spicy in Golgari Tortured Existence Pauper.
>>
>>49141095
Stop with the broken cards, please.
>>
File: Death Nova.jpg (121KB, 750x1046px)
Death Nova.jpg
121KB, 750x1046px
>>49141136
Y'kno. I finally saw that anime last month, About 10 years late but oh well. It was ok ish.
>Aniki
That name. You could make it whenever it dies, and make a 3/2. You get to have a small swing this turn, or a big one on next turn. Gives your opponent some interesting counterplay, I'd think.

>Shimon
Hm. I think it's a bit meh you only get to do it once per turn. Maybe add a cost of 1/2 and remove the limit?

>>49141137
N-... No~
>>
File: narutu.jpg (157KB, 750x523px)
narutu.jpg
157KB, 750x523px
>>49141246
>Y'kno. I finally saw that anime last month, About 10 years late but oh well. It was ok ish.
I think its aged somewhat poorly, and going back and watching it now leaves a hollow feeling in comparison to the hype. But man, being in my freshman year of high school and watching it as it came out was the coolest fucking thing in the world. I wasn't quite on /a/ at the time, but watching it with other anime forums was a blast.

Anyways, more abuse of italicized names. I originally thought "Wacky Gruul 'kick my way onto the scene' Ninjutsu", but another anon suggested a slightly more evasive, self-synergistic Simic version.
>>
File: 20160902_225404.jpg (4MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
20160902_225404.jpg
4MB, 5312x2988px
New token
>>
>>49141095
That's fucking busted holy shit

>>49141246
Cost that up. Fucking spicy, though.

>>49141826
>cardsmith
What's it a token for?
>>
>>49139485
Felt like I was the only one thinking of that guy.
>>
File: TheyShottheWrongApe.jpg (5MB, 5312x2988px) Image search: [Google]
TheyShottheWrongApe.jpg
5MB, 5312x2988px
>>49142313
gonna be used in my blue black zombie deck. Its just a meme token. I really need to get some transparent adhesive and printing paper to make custom foils. Here's one other token though.
>>
File: Grand Retainer.jpg (42KB, 375x523px)
Grand Retainer.jpg
42KB, 375x523px
>>49141556
What's that symbol?
And uh, My only issue with TTGL was all boob humor; I just don't get it. :[ Leeron best char tho.

>card
Hm. I like the effect of the red GR one, but that text looks iffy. Not talking about the italic.

>>49142313
>Busted.
Yeah. It looks like that, but GB actually did pretty poorly in playtests D:

>Spicy
1BB should be alright, rite?

>>49139485
>>49143073
Be more than sure that WotC watches these threads. but muh politics I've seen cards here that got printed afterwards, and I haven't been here all that long. Most recent case is Spell Queller.

>picrelated
>>
>>49143579
>What's that symbol?
My set symbol? Just something that I slap on my cards. Comes from the symbol for a collaborative art project called Pixiv Fantasia: Fallen Kings (pic related). I use it because I wanted a symbol to convey a consistent identity without going trip, more than any desire to design a full set. In retrospect it seems excessively busy, but I'm an unoriginal hack and too lazy to fix it.

As for the text, it should be valid, as weird as it is. It's cobbled together from a couple of different sources, including the new Rise from the Tides promo, "tapped and attacking" templating from Captain's Claws plus Flameshadow Conjuring's exile clause, and conditional templating from Ancient Hellkite/Forgestoker Dragon.
>>
Has anyone ever printed their own magic cards? I'm debating gifting my friends custom commander cards and was wondering what services are out there for this.
>>
>>
File: Paral The Host.jpg (42KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Paral The Host.jpg
42KB, 375x523px
Does it work, or is it horribly broken in some way
>>
>>49146329
Looks fine, although you don't use a full stop after shroud and you're missing the type line.
>>
File: Paral The Host.jpg (44KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Paral The Host.jpg
44KB, 375x523px
>>49146393
Haha, completely forgot about that.
>>
File: Scoundrels Galley.jpg (46KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Scoundrels Galley.jpg
46KB, 375x523px
>>
File: 3color1drops.gif (705KB, 1875x1046px)
3color1drops.gif
705KB, 1875x1046px
inb4 stop posting
>>
>>49148508
>Should only have components that all colors can use

Almost all of these are color breaks or are too strong. Jeskai and mardu excluded.
>>
>>49148580
Is the Naya one that strong/color broken?
>>
File: KTK_Khans_Cycle.jpg (388KB, 1875x523px)
KTK_Khans_Cycle.jpg
388KB, 1875x523px
Giving you new life, as always.
Some of these are either boring or broken, they are largely works in progress, all critiques are appreciated.
>>49148508
I would like to echo what the other Anon said about most of these breaking color.
Esper: Black does not force spike
Jund: Green generally does not do that
Bant: Blue and White don't get that in such a specific way
Grixis: Black does not do that,nor does Red really
Naya is fine but really pushing it.
Mardu and Jeskai are fine, but also somewhat boring.
Temur: Red does not do that. No, Stensia Innkeeper is not precedent for that in red.
Sultai: Blue does not do that, Black largely only does it for creatures.
Abzan: Black doesn't really do that.
Bear in mind all of these are off the top of my head and I've not gone to gatherer to extensively search out instances where any of these may have appeared. That was your job, in a way.
>>
So with Crew N and Vehicle Artifact type coming up in Kaladesh...does this mean we'll finally be getting transformers? It's simple really, just make a Vehicle DFC that has it's "Exile and return transformed." trigger under Crew on it's front face and you should be good.
>>
File: 1443343325119.jpg (40KB, 375x523px)
1443343325119.jpg
40KB, 375x523px
>>
>>49151034
While funny a 5 mana combo with fog silence and 6 mana combo with orim's chant probably isn't where you want magic to be.
>>
>>49151326
those both use the wording "this turn" and not "until end of turn" and would not work with this spell
>>
File: Urza Planeswalker.png (253KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Urza Planeswalker.png
253KB, 375x523px
I know this is saying a lot for a four-color Urza planeswalker, but I don't think there's actually a lot wrong with this... thing.

>>49146045
I quite like this. Might need to enter the battlefield tapped, though.

>>49141122
>>49141095
Yes, because Dredge is a super underpowered deck. What it really needs is tailor-made enablers. That was sarcasm.
>>
File: Bethan Frigate.png (269KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Bethan Frigate.png
269KB, 375x523px
>>491394857
They're not that similar, honestly. Kind of glad I saved his set, since he went and vanished off the face of the earth, which is a shame, because he was a fantastic designer.
>>
File: Deva of Purity.png (268KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Deva of Purity.png
268KB, 375x523px
>>49127687
>green flying
I don't care what you're paying homage to, that's not gonna fly.
>>
File: Jwari Sage.png (292KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Jwari Sage.png
292KB, 375x523px
>>49127400
Bit of a noob trap, I think. Also, probably not red.

>>49127178
More than you'd think, usually. I'd say eight is fine at uncommon
>>
>>49152248
>+2 for 2 turns destroying all creatures
>-8 win the game

Should just say +2 win the game and save everyone some time
>>
>>49152292
Is pirate anon the best designer these threads have ever seen?
>>
>>49152698
yes
>>
>>49153031
I'm pretty new to these threads. Is this a guy with a name or a trip, or do the threads have like key designers or something?
>>
>>49153298
Just people who are known for making a particular set. Like, if I had been here for way longer, and if my cards were of any appreciable quality, I'd be Khansguy or Tarkirfag or That Retard or something.
>>
>>49153298
People tend to recognize each other by trip (like Kazy) or by set icon. Famous faces include Timeanon, who's done a couple sets and is working on an Egypt-themed plane (>>49110594) and /co/anon who does comic book cards (hasn't posted in this thread yet, but his symbol is "CO").

Moonanon (>>49152351) is someone I remember from like, six months to a year ago, when I started posting. I'm dead bird anon (>>49141556). There's also been a lot of this anon (>>49126596) lately, who I don't have a good name for. Feel free to chime in if you've done other sets and I just don't recognize you.
>>
last try to bring lotus petal back.
>>
>>49153751
Lotus petal likely wouldn't even be broken in most standards, and the only formats modern design cares about are casual, standard, and modern, and it likely isn't good enough for modern, so sure that'll work.
>>
>>49119496
Hrm. Possibly these should use Fortification?
>>
>>49154356
The mere existence of fortifications are hard to justify. Lands hardly ever get blown up, which makes the Fortification staying around iffy flavor-wise and iffy-er gameplay-wise.
>>
>>49156138
Oh shit, you're totally right. I didn't even realize the Fortification stuck around.

Honestly it should probably serve to "protect" the land once ala totem armor, but even then, it's really odd that it sticks around. I might have a few ideas for it but it's a really odd mechanic.

In other words, I'm an idiot, anon, continue on as you were.
>>
File: Grand Puppeteer.jpg (41KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Grand Puppeteer.jpg
41KB, 375x523px
>>49157072
Fortifications are equipment for lands, which is kinda silly as auras already handle that better.
>>
File: Pyramids.jpg (42KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Pyramids.jpg
42KB, 375x523px
sup /ccg/, it's been forever since I used MSE and I'm getting back into it. The problem is I apparently don't have the proper fonts downloaded. I know how to do it, I just don't know which ones to grab. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Pic semi-related. Stupid reserved list...
>>
File: Rakshasa Visier.jpg (37KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Rakshasa Visier.jpg
37KB, 375x523px
This made too much sense when I saw the flavor text.
>>
>>49157427
Beleren is the font used by the new card frames.
>>
>>49157467
I know that, I'm talking about the fonts that MSE uses. I know the rules text and flavor text use MPlantin, but the card type line and card name use a different font that I don't have on my box yet. Does anyone know what font it is?
>>
File: Follow Though.png (269KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Follow Though.png
269KB, 375x523px
>>49157427
Font packs are on MSE's site, or at least linked through it.

Also another odd card using a parasitic effect on an evergreen keyword.
>>
File: Null Generator.jpg (48KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Null Generator.jpg
48KB, 375x523px
Technically works, because of how casting spells work. The illegality of a spell (including timing) is only addressed when the spell's on the stack.
>>
File: Reef Worm.jpg (38KB, 375x523px)
Reef Worm.jpg
38KB, 375x523px
>>49157522
Alright. It took me a bit of figuring out where I needed to go, but I eventually got it. Thanks.
>>
>>49157528
This seems like it would cause more headaches than interesting plays.
>>
File: 1 Green Uncommons First Draft.jpg (595KB, 1500x1046px) Image search: [Google]
1 Green Uncommons First Draft.jpg
595KB, 1500x1046px
Slowly making progress. Here's the first draft of the green uncommons for my set. Let me know what you all think!
>>
File: Serras Path.png (809KB, 750x1046px) Image search: [Google]
Serras Path.png
809KB, 750x1046px
>>49157440
>even the creature type fits
I kek'd.
>>
File: Onis Drink.jpg (50KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Onis Drink.jpg
50KB, 375x523px
>>49157657
Not gonna deny that. Was a weird idea as a hoser for a lot of things that care about card types. Disables Goyf/Delirium, explicit graveyard recursion (i.e. Reanimate), as well as most library searches and "cheat into play" effects like Through the Breach or Show and Tell.

Most of my cards can be summed up as getting past "can we" and not addressing "should we."
>>
>>49157706
I would honestly just change Legacy to add mana at the beginning of your next/next precombat main phase. Disallows most instant speed junk on the interim, but I figure you want players to be casting big spells anyways.
>>
>>49157728
Also a bit less subtle, but it certainly works.
>>
>>49157706
Grand builder could stand to have higher stats. Feeding Pit might warrant an 'up to' so you can drop it on an empty board.
>>
>>49157783
I just worry that that might have more memory issues, which are avoided if the mana is added immediately.
>>49157838
Feeding Pit doesn't need an 'up to.' If an opponent doesn't control a creature, that part of the ability just doesn't happen. Check out the rulings on Gruul Ragebeast.
>Grand Builder
I'll bump the stats up a bit.
>>
>>
>>49158118
Its different because gruul ragebeast is an ETB, whereas Feeding Pit is a sorcery and needs targets selected on cast.
>>
File: Intercept Orders.jpg (46KB, 375x523px)
Intercept Orders.jpg
46KB, 375x523px
>>49158177
Yeah, you're absolutely right. My bad. Added the "up to." Thanks, anon.
>>
File: Goldnight Mercenary.jpg (105KB, 752x523px) Image search: [Google]
Goldnight Mercenary.jpg
105KB, 752x523px
/a/ as fuck, but is it shit?
>>
File: Aura Diviner.jpg (94KB, 752x523px) Image search: [Google]
Aura Diviner.jpg
94KB, 752x523px
>>49158387
Ad the counterpart that's even more /a/ because fuck it.
>>
>>49158387
Far to easy a transform condition for that level of power.
>>
>>49158483
Hmm. What about adding "discard your hand" to the transform cost? That's sort of in red's pie I think.
>>
>>49158512
You need something really narrow or something just out of your control to flip a 3 CMC card into that.
>>
>>49158512
You should just tune down the power of the flipped side.
>>
>>49158387
It's really undercosted for what it transforms into, and breaking color pie casting cost requirements with Transform was always a shitty idea. Yes, even when Wizards did it.

>turn 3, equip Lightning Greaves, swing for 2
>turn 4, 5/4 Flying Double Strike Shroud

Also, why does the transformed version have haste, when you need it (equipped or enchanted) on the field at the start of your turn to transform it?
>>
>>49158550
>>49158551
>>49158621
Alright. I mean, you can see what I was aiming for, but I'll work on the power level. In the meantime, more /a/ shit.
>>
>>49157706
Amonkhet/10
>>
How would you word an instant that makes a creature come into play with additional +1/+1 counters on it?
(+1/+1 counters used as an example since they are a more common effect. The design restriction I'm working with means the card would have to target a spell on the stack, not a creature already in play.)
>>
>>49160073
For what possible reason would you want to affect a permanent while it's still a spell instead of just affecting the permanent?
>>
>>49160073
>Target creature spell gains "This creature enters the battlefield with a +1/+1 counter on it."
Changing the text of a permanent spell will effect the permanent it becomes. See the rulings for old "hack" spells like Sleight of Mind for details.
>>
File: Unrelenting Sparks.jpg (59KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Unrelenting Sparks.jpg
59KB, 375x523px
Made a thing.
>>
>>49160574
Why not the Gold frame?
Also,
>You may cast ~ from your graveyard by sacrificing a creature as an additional cost to cast it.
from the rules for Retrace,
or
>You may cast ~ from your graveyard by sacrificing a creature instead of paying its mana cost.
from Scourge of Nel'Toth.
>>
>>49158387
What the fuck does haste do when the transform trigger is on the upkeep? It's also stupid from a lore standpoint.

>>49160574
What's with the colorless/land frame? It's also "each creature and each player" instead of what you had. Love the art, by the way.
>>
File: Unrelenting Sparks2.jpg (60KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Unrelenting Sparks2.jpg
60KB, 375x523px
>>49160631
>Why not the Gold frame?
For some reason, Magic Set Editor doesn't feel like adding color to my card. Had to make another card for it to work.

>You may cast ~ from your graveyard by sacrificing a creature instead of paying its mana cost.
Ah, that was what I was looking for. I pretty much copied Gravecrawler since I couldn't find the precise rule text I needed.

>>49160634
Fixed
>>
>>49160705
I want to make sure that you know that it kills it self when it connects. Also why is it a phoenix zombie?
>>
>>49160705
So if you manage to have one in your yard and one in play, it's a free infinite recursion machine.
>>
>>49160736
Plus infinite cast triggers for Diregraph Colossus! Grixis Zombies, go!
>>
>>49160733
>I want to make sure that you know that it kills it self when it connects.
Yep, meant to be suicide bomber.

>Also why is it a phoenix zombie
I wanted to make a reanimating suicide bombing phoenix, and with black, I thought zombie to be appropriate

>>49160736
I wasn't sure if the drawback of sacrifice was enough, and given that sacrifice might actually help some decks, I wasn't really sure what to do with it.

Perhaps adding {R/B} sacrifice a creature, you may cast Unrelenting Sparks from your graveyard without paying its mana cost

would be better?
>>
>>49160736
>>49160747
Just use Blood Artist/Zulaport Cutthroat for an easy T3 kill in Modern.
>>
>>49160773
Recursion should never be so simple, especially for something that wants to and probably will often kill itself.
>>
>>49160773
Just use the second wording I gave before
>You may cast ~ from your graveyard by sacrificing a creature as an additional cost to cast it.
This makes it cost "RB, Sacrifice a creature" which makes it slightly slower.

Or, if you make the cost more complex, do it as an activated ability instead of a cast:
2RB, Sacrifice a creature: Return ~ from your graveyard to the battlefield.

Also, it probably doesn't need to be Legendary, because it doesn't seem like this refers to a particular Zombie Phoenix, but a kind of Zombie Phoenix. Unless you want to give it a name and have "Unrelenting Spark" as its title/epithet. Corpseflame, Unrelenting Spark? 2-mana Legends are rare because its hard for them to feel "special" and "legendary" at that CMC.

Also, not a Common. Like, a Rare.
>>
File: Unrelenting Sparks4.jpg (59KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Unrelenting Sparks4.jpg
59KB, 375x523px
>>4916082
>legendary
Point taken.

>Also, not a Common. Like, a Rare.
Was originally rare, forgot to re-add the rarity.
>>
So how terrible an idea is it to try and make full custom commander decks for my friends? I know some cards would be re-named or re-typed versions of previous cards but is this possible to do?
>>
>>49161074
It would take a lot of time to design a full custom deck made out of custom cards. You'd also need to playtest them to make sure they're balanced.
>>
File: Nightmare Rider.jpg (42KB, 375x523px)
Nightmare Rider.jpg
42KB, 375x523px
>>49161074
Depends on how many friends you have, but that's still approximately sixty cards a person. Sure, it's POSSIBLE. Is it fun, worth your time, or interesting? Probably not. Shoot for, like, a cool commander, or a Planeswalker, or a handful of cards that they'd LOVE to have. Fewer cards are a lot easier to balance and find inspiration for.
>>
>>49161102
There's some short cuts I know I can get away with, so I'm not sure if every card will need to be new. One of my friends is a cart attendant, so a refluffed Awakening Zone that made 1/1 or 0/1 Cart artifact creature token would be a fair card.
>>49161143
There's 7 of them. The original idea was just one planeswalker card for each of them, that might be a better idea.
>>
>>49161153
Make a commander for each.
>>
>>49161153
Oooooh boy, yeah. At 7 friends, lucky you, you're looking at over 400 cards. Sure, there's a lot of staples in each color so there's some overlap, but that's still a fuckton of cards.

Start with a commander for each. That's hard enough, really.
>>
>>49161386
>>49161161
Would making planeswalker commanders be significantly harder than making regular legendary creatures?
>>
>>49161424
Maybe, maybe not. I'd personally go with creatures since they're more versatile, but I'd recommend that you try out a little bit of both to get a feel for it.
>>
>>49161424
Yes. If you're not familiar with designing, I would not recommend trying to make a number of cards intended for casual competitive use.
>>
>>49161424
You're required to do a lot more with less with planeswalkers compared to legends.
>>
>>49161450
>>49161449
>>49161441
How does this look for a rough draft:
CARDNAME, Exemplar of War.
Cost: RWW1
As long as CARDNAME, Exemplar of War has first strike from an attached equipment, other creatures you control gain first strike. The same is true of trample, haste, flying, deathtouch, double strike, menace, intimidate, indestructible , vigilance, reach, hexproof and lifelink.
P/T: 3/4
>>
>>49161704
Put your cards in MSE so they're easier to read. Also it's "have" rather than "gain" in that instance. As a commander it just seems like a rather simple Voltron target that rewards swarm strategies. For RW I'd rather have something that addresses the card advantage problems that RW has in relation to the other colors in some way.
>>
>>49161704
Like a worse, but Boros Odric?
>>
>>49161750
This works all the time instead of just combat, is that difference marginal?
>>49161742
Perhaps something like "When an equipped creature deals combat damage (perhaps just damage), draw a card"? although that de-synergizes with his primary ability.
>>
>>49161774
>Perhaps something like "When an equipped creature deals combat damage (perhaps just damage), draw a card"? although that de-synergizes with his primary ability.
Maybe turn away from equipment.
>>
>>49161781
That works better, would you leave it as just dealing combat damage then if I dropped the equipped clause?
>>
>>49161794
Draws off of combat damage are U/G, not R or W.
>>
File: Vann Annointed Crusader.jpg (47KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Vann Annointed Crusader.jpg
47KB, 375x523px
I think I made a line of interesting commanders, but it's also hyper-late so I might be shitposting again.

Here, have the last one I did and technically the first in order (I think), Vann. I really struggled with him, probably because he was the last one and good WB design really evades me. At one point he was a "warband leader" who spawned four 1/1 Warriors and and buffed all warriors ala tribal, but then I tinkered with a creature-type based Merciless Eviction for a while, and eventually he just became this, the commander you use if you hate tribal, I guess
>>
>>49161774
Try something wacky, like RW spellslinger?
>Whenever you cast a red instant or sorcery, you may pay R. If you do, exile the top card of your library. Until the end of your next turn, you may play that card.
>Whenever you cast white instant or sorcery, you may pay W. If you do, exile the top card of your library. You gain life equal to its converted mana cost.
>>
File: Kuzak the Ingenious.jpg (50KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Kuzak the Ingenious.jpg
50KB, 375x523px
I think maybe they get better? I sure hope for all our sakes they get better than Vann, I don't think he's good. Maybe he is and it's just 5 in the morning talking.

Anyway, here's Kuzak. Hell, he's probably more broken. I debated lowering both P/T and cost to bring his second ability more in line with the Cascade, but then figured that trying to cast huge spells and accidentally blowing up entire labs was the Izzet Way. Because he's got Cascade, I tried to keep the Super Isochron On A Stick to manageable levels.

Another spellslinger UR, I hear you say. Well, don't worry. I don't fall into that trapping every single time, but we'll get to WR when we get to WR.
>>
>>49161857
Now this is interesting. How about: "Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell, exile the top card of your library. If that card is white, you gain life equal to its converted mana cost. if that card is red, you may play that card until the end of your next turn."
>>
Strap in, you're all in for the ride now. Next up is a cool pirate, at least, I think he's cool. Maybe he's not. I dunno. I'd play him, and I don't think he's overpowered, but I could just be an idiot, it's happened before.

He started life as an evasive, skulking combat-based commander and then grew a graveyard-based gold-making ability. I think it's okay because you're paying twice what you technically get out of it and you're burning graveyard cards to do it. Maybe that's broken as fuck and I'm just not smart.

He does really capture the "pirate" vibe though. The process of making him started as an islandwalker with an Inspired effect and quickly mutated into this, which I think is better. Honestly he could probably stand to be one mana higher to cast but I think maybe it's fine?
>>
>>49161893
>create a token onto the battlefield
>green pirate
>skulk AND menace on a card
Also, where's the damn green?
>>
File: Kolkan the Judging God.jpg (54KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Kolkan the Judging God.jpg
54KB, 375x523px
>>49161853
Did somebody say WB hate cards? I love WB's ability to be "oppressive." Anyways, the wording on this card is forced to be obtuse to prevent your clever table from going "Plane, phenomenon, conspiracy, hurrrr". At least, I think so.

>>49161869
He won't resolve in time for his second ability to benefit from Cascade, so I'm not sure how I feel about that.
>>
>>49161893
Shit, I'm a dumbass, I forgot Create was really concise. It'll take some gettin' used to.

Remember how I said I had an interesting RW commander? Good, because here's what I call a "possibly interesting RW commander". Effectively a 4/5 that serves as a good blocker or attacker depending on how things are going, B&F gives an opponent the Monarchy- and then benefits whenever it switches hands. You do end up card-neutral if you just go and immediately steal it, but you can lose it or let other players fight for it and profit the entire time. It's RW that does politics and card draw on a thicc body.

I like it. I hope someone else does too. Or at least likes the concept enough to yell at me if I did it wrong.
>>
>>49161874
>>49161857

The issue there is that it's rarely worth losing the card for the life gain in the case of white.

Perhaps make it Reveal and make the exile only happen with Red?
>>
>>49161908
The 2/3? Honestly that should just be a RB card
>>
>>49161853
You need to be clear about which of the creatures gets the abilities (hopefully your creature).
>>
>>49161924
Not gonna lie, I first read that as "Butthurt"
>>
>>49161933
What's the point of exiling it after you reveal it, then? It should be a reveal, but what else could be in red and also gives card advantage?

>>49161938
Where's the red?

>>49161924
Don't know if that last sentence works.
>>
>>49161908
Yeah, I fucked up the wording... and the green is a bit forced, now that you mention it. I was basing him slightly off of those cards that made, what were they, Thallids? Something akin to Necrogenesis or... Night Soil, I think.

Okay, last one to complete the cycle, I really did try to balance this one a bit but it's got a lot going on so I'm not sure exactly how well that went. Actually, I know exactly how it went- I forgot to factor in that she drops a 2/2 on entry, because I was too busy thinking of how much mana the tap ability should be. Fuck.

Well, maybe she's all right outside of that. I've always wanted a UG Manifest-mander.

>>49161949
True. Wording isn't something I take to easily, sadly, I'll need to figure out the correct way during revisions.

>>49161916
Yeah, the original version let him pop noncreatures but usually crusades don't involve burning enchantments or artifacts- stealing, maybe- but usually it's just a lot of killing and razing. Can't really exile lands without an uproar either.

Also, not copying directly off the cascade actually seems fine. It's not what I intended, though, so maybe I should take it back to the drawing board... I like Cascade, and I like balanced autocloning... hrm.

>>49161938
Meanwhile, I really need to do something more... green, about this guy, and maybe drop him to 2/2? Him having Skulk and Menace is intentional- I actually do want him to be an extremely evasive creature, yet not ever totally impossible to block ala Islandwalk.

Not sure where to add the Green, since I also want to keep gold-generation and piracy. I guess maybe this just isn't the cycle for him, but I've fallen oddly in love with the odd-colored pirate. I don't want to limit what he can hit with the exile so much, nor do I want to give him anything Delirium... though my only excuse to give him green is "graveyard stuff matters, lol". It's way too late at night to start fixing him now, though.
>>
File: Devya of the Phantom Troupe.jpg (49KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Devya of the Phantom Troupe.jpg
49KB, 375x523px
>>49162015
Actually posting the card would help you understand what I mean by "forgot to balance the manifest" and "UG Manifest-mander", huh.

>>49161989
Me neither, but there's not a terrible amount of monarch stuff going around to base it off of. I'd say that mine is probably functional, but there's almost certainly a way to make it a lot prettier and concise.
>>
>>49162031
Maybe separate the block in Burkhart and Frauke into two lines: "Whenever a player becomes the monarch, you may draw a card." and "Whenever you become the monarch, discard a card."
>>
File: Belenus Lifes Flame.jpg (54KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Belenus Lifes Flame.jpg
54KB, 375x523px
>>49162015
>Also, not copying directly off the cascade actually seems fine. It's not what I intended, though, so maybe I should take it back to the drawing board... I like Cascade, and I like balanced autocloning... hrm.
I'd cut the cascade, and do something like
>At the beginning of your upkeep, or whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell with converted mana cost 3 or greater, put a charge counter on ~.
>Whenever you cast an instant or sorcery spell with converted mana cost 2 or less, you may remove a charge counter from ~. If you do, copy that spell. You may choose new targets for the copy.
Maybe too much bookkeeping.

>card
Jamming more abilities onto things, probably not a great idea.
>>
>>49162100
Getting both benefits when you play a RW card is probably enough.
>>
File: UM01 Talir Ransomers.jpg (46KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
UM01 Talir Ransomers.jpg
46KB, 375x523px
>>49159936
I've been working on my project for quite a bit longer than Amonkhet has been announced. Would you have me just drop it? Because that's not gonna happen. My set will be finished before the first Amonkhet spoiler even drops.
>>
maybe the rule-text sounds a little stupid. could need some help with the wording, but i think its clear what this card should do?
>>
Which wording looks better /ccg/?
Also, for the first one, can I write "Remember only as a sorcery" at the end, instead of that longer version?
>>
What is the wording to make a permanent lose all of it's abilities?
>>
>>49164716
>target permanent loses all abilities
>>
Raising this thread from the dead.
>>
File: Flamebrand Outcast.jpg (53KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Flamebrand Outcast.jpg
53KB, 375x523px
>>49164961
Forgot to say that the costing of this card is just there as a placeholder and does not represent actual balancing attempts.
>>
File: Simic Walker.jpg (37KB, 375x523px)
Simic Walker.jpg
37KB, 375x523px
So does anyone have an idea if the wording for the second ability here is alright? There's no precedent so I'm not sure how to word it better.

>>49164360
I prefer the second version, mostly because "When you remember..." is flavorful as fuck. That said I don't actually like the mechanic because unlike flashback this is an ability and so largely uncounterable.
For version 1, first of all remembrance should be italicised. You also can't use "~ only as a sorcery" because the remembrance bit is essentially flavortext. Though maybe you can look at Forecast, which does have some rules text associated with it (and thus is not in italics).

>>49164961
Why is this even green? I feel like this would be fine as [2][W/B][W/B] since you're only getting bodies with no abilities.

>>49165045
This one is good. I'd prefer it at common, but I tend to prefer cube to draft so maybe I'm being crazy.
>>
>>49163904
>XR
>~ is all colors of mana spent to pay for [X]. (It isn't red unless you spend [R] on [X].)
>~ deals X damage to target creature or player.
>>
>>49164961
>If W was spent to cast ~, create a white Spirit token with power and toughness each equal to the exiled card's toughness.
>If B was spent to cast ~, create a black Zombie token with power and toughness each equal to the exiled card's power.

>>49166232
>>49164360
If you're having "remember" as a keyword action, the entire ability needs rules text to support the action, and that rules baggage would include the timing restriction. Thus, the text would be something like
>Remember 2B (2B, Exile this card from your graveyard: Remember this card. Remember only as a sorcery.)

>card
>Remove any number of +1/+1 counters from among creatures you control. Then, distribute that many +1/+1 counters among creatures you control.
is how I'd do it. Doesn't have to target, as Vastwood Hydra demonstrated.
>>
File: Caged Revenant.png (305KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Caged Revenant.png
305KB, 375x523px
>>
>>49166232
From Bioshift
"Move any number of +1/+1 counters from permanents you control to permanents you control."
>>
File: download (1).jpg (585KB, 1125x1569px) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
585KB, 1125x1569px
>>49153452
>>49152698
>>49153031
We've had some good ones. The set Gromheort has some extremely good cards and I have no idea who made it.

Ausra and Brivibas are from Gromheort.
>>
>>49169522
Brivibas is pure sex. Thormagor looks more impressive than it really is.
>>
>>49169522
>>49169807
Thormagor is worded incorrectly.
>>
>>49169950
Yet that is much better than
>If ~ would deal damage to a creature, put that many +1/+1 counters on that creature instead.
>>
>>49170023
Wrong is not better
>>
File: Bitch Hellhound Handler.png (944KB, 750x1046px) Image search: [Google]
Bitch Hellhound Handler.png
944KB, 750x1046px
I don't normally do fan-cards, but this art was too good to pass up.

>>49166232
+1: I don't like it. Planeswalkers generally don't refer to block keywords (with the notable exception of Narset). Additionally, this ability isn't optional - most planeswalker + abilities are.

I do like the idea of the -X, though. I'd like it better as a mid-stage ability, with something more flashy as the ultimate.
>>
>>49170300
Neat use of monstrosity. Way too efficient at that cost.

>Additionally, this ability isn't optional - most planeswalker + abilities are.
Only +abilities that target are optional (to allow you to activate it if there are no appropriate targets).
>>
File: Tranquil Topiary.jpg (42KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Tranquil Topiary.jpg
42KB, 375x523px
>>
>>49170516
Should be mono-colored so that it's more usable as a (very niche) hate card.
>>
File: Season of Decay.jpg (50KB, 375x523px) Image search: [Google]
Season of Decay.jpg
50KB, 375x523px
>>49170516
That's cool, although I feel like its an anti-combo with what GW wants to do a lot of the time.
>>
>>49170516
Wouldn't 0/1 Plant tokens be more appropriate for a card named "Tranquil Topiary?"
>>
>>49170586
The name is shit, it's only because I couldn't think of anything better.
>>
>>49170040
Maybe? We just got create, and it's much better than what we had. If someone had posted said idea on on /tg/, he would've had a better idea that would also have been 'wrong'.
Anon used the reminder for wither, and it works; although reminer is not rules text, etc, etc,
>>
File: Rapid Breakdown.jpg (43KB, 375x523px)
Rapid Breakdown.jpg
43KB, 375x523px
>>49170579
Whoops. That has my ancient, newbie wording on it.

Also this, one of the earliest cards I designed. Breaks Dark Depths, but hey, what doesn't?
>>
>>49170615
Wither (as well as lifelink and infect) work because the fundamental rules for damage reference them.

>119.3. Damage may have one or more of the following results, depending on whether the recipient of the damage is a player or permanent, the characteristics of the damage’s source, and the characteristics of the damage’s recipient (if it’s a permanent).
>119.3a Damage dealt to a player by a source without infect causes that player to lose that much life.
>119.3b Damage dealt to a player by a source with infect causes that player to get that many poison counters.
>119.3c Damage dealt to a planeswalker causes that many loyalty counters to be removed from that planeswalker.
>119.3d Damage dealt to a creature by a source with wither and/or infect causes that many -1/-1 counters to be put on that creature.
>119.3e Damage dealt to a creature by a source with neither wither nor infect causes that much damage to be marked on that creature.
>119.3f Damage dealt by a source with lifelink causes that source’s controller to gain that much life, in addition to the damage’s other results.

If you want that wording for Thormagor to work, you'd need to add
"119.3g Damage dealt to a creature by a source with "This object deals damage to creatures in the form of +1/+1 counters," causes that many +1/+1 counters to be put on that creature."
Which is incredibly inelegant. You could make it a keyword, but the ability is too limiting as a keyword. Rather, you'd just write it out in full like Vigor.
>>
>>49170615
Except create is a keyword action similar to exile or sacrifice, while this is just a misappropriation of wither's reminder text.
>>
File: Flashsword.png (226KB, 375x523px)
Flashsword.png
226KB, 375x523px
>>
>>49170739
Oh that I didn't know! That's pretty cool.
>>
>>49163904
wouldn't it have to say that it loses devoid?
>>
>>49170655
it breaks dark depths, but for 6 mana, hexmage and thespian's stage only cost 2 so I don't think that's a big deal. I really like this card for planeswalker hate.
Thread posts: 305
Thread images: 116

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.