[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Between a crippled colony ship in orbit visible to the naked

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: 3q1yD.jpg (200KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
3q1yD.jpg
200KB, 640x400px
Between a crippled colony ship in orbit visible to the naked eye and an apocalypse log in a laboratory somewhere in a long forgotten corner of the world, how obvious do you like your "our fantasy world is actually in the far future, magic is nanomachines, etc?"
>>
>>49073963
Endless Legend.
>>
>>49074077
I'm not familiar with it. What's their method?
>>
>>49073963

I like to keep it kind of a suprise.

In my current campaign I've been building up a mysterious location called the "pillars of glass" which I plan to reveal as the remains of an ancient city.

I'm not a fan of just outright saying "we're in the future" though, so when contemporary or futuristic tech is introduced I try to describe it in vague terms ( i.e. a handgun is described as a small metal box with a handle on the side, cars are odd shaped metal carriages, etc.) and let them figure it out once they have enough evidence to realize it.
>>
>>49074786
How common are that sort of out of place objects in your game? How often might you encounter something like a wrecked car?
>>
>>49075974

Depends on the story but usually not common.

But having them littered around could add a sort of flavor to the world. The strange carriages could hold a number of relics that could either be completely worthless, extremely powerful, or if you're like me, basically a substitute for jewels in dnd.

For example, an ancient hand mirror and a primitive health potion (an iPhone and a bottle of peptobismol respectively) aren't particularly useful but can be sold for a decent price to the right person.
>>
File: Bakshi's Wizards.jpg (254KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Bakshi's Wizards.jpg
254KB, 1024x768px
I tend not to be terribly subtle about it if I'm riffing on the standardish fantasy dark-ages idea. Its basically post roman empire collapse, all the aqueducts, roads, and legends of a better time were fairly common.

Its more about how to mix in ancient technological wonders without just saying 'you find a free car'. Sometimes crazy wizard villains are good for exposition. Depends on how melodramatic you want it.
>>
>>49074097

some factions be like:
We are the children of a great space empire that has fallen into irrelevance, we are obviously their true descendants and we are the ones who ought to rule all.

It's a weird quasi universe where because of memories and the ruins left behind, the world accelerates into more more massive shifts of technology.
>>
For my current campaign I've taken great influence from Picnic by the Roadside.

The party who left their island on an expedition, first encountered long metallic javelins struck into the ground. Waving them caused whistling that resonated for miles, they haven't figured out what their for yet along with a few other oddities. The party shekel master is happy though.
>>
>>49078125
This I like.

One of these days I might get in the mood for a setting with wizards and plasma guns from the Beforetime, but in general I like high tech/high magic to have an inscrutable quality about it.
>>
These types of settings always seem to take place in the ruins of some ancient civilization but are there any where everything is just some scientists crazy attempt at making a fantasy world?
>>
>>49078509
Vampire Hunter D, kinda. There's already Vampires which is fantastical in itself, but the setting idea is that Vampires became very advanced in the different fields of science and bioengineered all of the crazy fantasy monsters you're familiar with and let them loose on the world. The already taxing war between Humans and the Nobility causes the world to go up in apocalyptic flames which ends up reverting most of the world back into a rural state, with only a few capital cities which still retain some of the futuristic qualities.
>>
>>49078623
Vampires aside, it does have genetically engineered demons and werewolves so pretty similar to what I was looking for. Found a decent torrent for the novels so I'll give it a go
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.